Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Uber will let customers hail robotaxis from Amazon's Zekes starting in Las Vegas this summer. For more on the partnership, Bloomberg Texts Ed Ludlow is joined by the CEOs of both companies. Ed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Matt.
Speaker 3: We're talking about the Zokes purpose built robots, actually no driver controls, no steering wheel, no pedals, inward facing seats, starting in Vegas this summer, Los Angeles next year. And we're delighted to have Ubercio dark Ostrasahi and i Sheha Evans of Zokes with us. And actually I've been fortunate to spend a lot of time with you in the last year, and you've always described Zukes as vertically integrated. Control the stack, own the vehicle, own the app, own the service. You're going with a partner. What's changed That hasn't changed.
Speaker 4: We're doing that, and I've also told you that would be practical about our commercial deplointment. This is a big market and so talk to Betra and in Las Vegas and LA We're really looking forward to bringing our experience and sort of this way to ride to the Uber platform. In addition, to also being available.
Speaker 1: The way to write is interesting.
Speaker 3: You know, Uber is not a ride, It is a platform, a marketplace for increasingly different kinds of rides. What is it, Dara, that you think you can help zooks do that. I guess they wouldn't otherwise be able to do on their own.
Speaker 5: Well, we bring enormous distribution on a global basis, and I think that there's this narrative of its either or you know, either you go direct to your customer or you go through a platform. And the fact is, if you look, for example, on Uber eats, you have some of the best brands in the world, whether it's a McDonald's or a Starbucks or Chipotle, having a direct interaction with customers through their own apps, but also using the platform to expand their distribution. And I see the same thing with Zoos as well. You know, Zeus is on his way to create one of the best brands in the business and transportation.
Speaker 1: You experienced recently right you went.
Speaker 5: It's a great experience, it's a purpose built vehicle, and to have that experience on Uber, we think will only magnify what Zous is bringing to the market.
Speaker 3: But this is small scale in the first instance, right, you know in Las Vegas, and then where you're already active, and then and then La that The mechanics of it are interesting, right, because as a rider, you are not guaranteed in the first instance, that you can choose a Zookes. It's algorithmic. It depends on the circumstances for you to have. I think the language uses the opportunity to be matched with the Zookes. I guess supply in the first instance, is why you've pursued that plan at first?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but really no, because look, it's a platform, it's a global platform, it's available. You have all kinds of people who show up in Las Vegas. Some might know about Zookes, some might not, and the ones who don't probably know about Uber. So why not take advantage of that. It's really holidays.
Speaker 3: This is early, But would you just explain I guess longer term what the business plan is. Is there a per ride revenue share agreement? How do you split the fare when you're able to charge a fair dara?
Speaker 5: I think for us now, the focus is going to be the customer experience. We want to make sure that weather. Obviously, the Zukes direct experience is going to be best to breed, but also having the experience through Uber is going to introduce you to the differentiated experience on zokes as well. That's really going to be that's really going to be what Aisha and I are focused on. You know, I would say at the economics take care of themselves over the long term.
Speaker 3: Data is going to be critically important here. So let's start a guess, Stara, with what data sets can Uber provide Zekes that help them with scale and data sharing that you've got in place.
Speaker 5: Well, we are certainly going to work with zekes in terms of traffic patterns, and now zeus is going to have access to that data directly as well. But I think the combination of the traffic patterns that we see and the customers that we see, whether local or international, along with zukes's proprietary data, I think is going to help Zookes be even more efficient as an entity going forward.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'll add to that also the experience of dealing with things or just starting to deal with large events, things that Uber knows how to do in their sleep, and we'll essentially speed up our knowledge of doing that.
Speaker 3: And also speed up deployment. You know, you've always been very careful and cautious. I think is the wording that you've used, But is there now a sort of a different approach that working with you gives you to get the zukes purpose built vehicle. We can bring it up on the screen again. You know, it's a unique form factor in this country. And of course there was a big niz in news yesterday. But what's again the same question was changed in your ability to do that?
Speaker 4: So I think the last time you asked me the question, I said, look, first, we want to be ready. Our approach will always be cautious and and scale from there. What's changed is that we're deploying in Vegas. We know the market very well, we understand the patterns, and we think that partnering with with with their Uber and the team at Uber will really help us not just bring the differential, differentiated customer experience, but speed up how you deploy, how you operate on a daily basis, and we're looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: Dari.
Speaker 1: Uber shares are up two percent.
Speaker 3: But when the news hit, you know, in pre market there was a really positive reception to this.
Speaker 1: What do you what do you make of that?
Speaker 3: You know it's consistent with what you've already done. Capital like model partner with with both automakers, the technology stack and software in well.
Speaker 5: We think autonomous represents the future of transportation right it's it's safer ultimately than human beings. We think it will make transportation available to more people. So this is just another step in our direction of open platform for both human drivers and robot drivers, who are safe, who are best to breed. And I think Zekes represents one of the top brands and top technologies and top experiences in the industry. And we're very proud to partner up with Zoukes and we're really looking forward to growing together.
Speaker 3: So what did you learn from your ride in Las Vegas as a market?
Speaker 5: You know, I think that obviously the Zookes experience is I think going to play in any market, but Las Vegas especially. It's a social place to go. People go to Las Vegas in groups, et cetera. And one of the what was clear to me with Zekes is a differentiated experience in terms of the setup. It is a purpose built vehicle. It feels when you're inside, it feels so big and so generous in terms of the space, but then actually the vehicle itself is quite efficient, so for me it was very interesting. I think Zekes is unique in building out this kind of vertical stack purpose built vehicle, and for me, the quality of the ride was absolutely on display for me.
Speaker 3: So you are a member of Amazon's leadership team otherwise known as the S team. You're actually ranked number one in alphabetical order. I checked a lot of questions I get for you. Is the capital plan? You know, if you can get some more money from Amazon to accelerate your progress. Amazon's been active in the bomb market this week. What can you tell us about your access to capital?
Speaker 4: Amazon has been great. We're super happy to have them as a parent. Capital is not something I worry about. I worry about executing, delivering. Now that we're entering this commercial phase, this promise of a safer, keener, more enjoyable future on the road with our purpose built vehicle that really gives you this delightful experience is really what we're focused on. I don't worry about capital at all. I worry about delivering.
Speaker 3: Uberdara is becoming kind of like the neutral marketplace for all kinds of av providers, not just in the US, but that globally have to ask their for or have you held any talks with Tesla about convincing them to take their plan, which is a proprietary ride hailing service but also purpose built vehicle to the U wrapp.
Speaker 5: We talk with all the various AV providers. Tesla obviously isn't at the point now of getting to no vehicle operator, but they are testing and their technology is excellent, so we're happy to have discussions with them as well as other players. But today's about Zooks and we're here to celebrate that.
Speaker 3: Uber CEO Darrek Kushra Shahi Ajevin Zook's CEO, here with us in the Bloomberg Tech Studio in San Francisco,