Speaker 1: Hey everybody, it's Lyle. Just a reminder that I am going on tour to do therapy Gecko live in several cities across the United States, and I would love to see you there. I will be interviewing random folks from the audience up on stage and absolutely anything could happen. It will be very fun, very terrifying, and very geko wee. You can find the link to get tickets in your city in the episode description. Okay, let's get into the podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hey, this is Kelly.
Speaker 1: Hello Kelly, how are you good?
Speaker 3: How are you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm doing good. I'm a little bit well. I just pede and now I feel like an empty vessel and your call. I'm like, I don't know how to explain this, but my pee leaving my body has now given me space to take in your call to replace. I took a little bit out of my bladder to make a little bit more space in my ear for your call.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, that makes sense. Well this is a big one, so you'll definitely need space.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's hear it. Let's see what's up. How's uh get us? Kelly?
Speaker 3: Okay, So me and my sister we were gonna take one of those you know, little DNA test things, and our mom told us not to and we were wondering why, and so about a month later she finally told us it was because our dad that we grew up with is in our real dad, so he couldn't have kids, so she used a donor to have us.
Speaker 2: So when we.
Speaker 3: Finally did the DNA test, we matched with like a ton of people on the site. They messaged us and it turns out they are siblings and there's like seventy of them. I'm not really sure how to feel about it. They're all in this little Facebook group where they call each other brother and sister.
Speaker 1: I'm strange, did you now? Let me let me ask you this. How long have they been in this Facebook group? Like did you start the group or did you show up and take the test? And they were like, ah, more, we've been waiting.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So when I joined the group, there was already about like thirty five people in the group and they were like, oh, welcome our new siblings.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Have you made like any legitimate, meaningful connections or interactions with any of these people or is it just kind of a weird thing with strangers?
Speaker 3: I personally hasn't, but the other ones are like super close with each other. I just feel like they're taking.
Speaker 4: It a little far.
Speaker 3: I guess because I already have siblings, so I'm fine with that, but they like act like they're real brothers and sisters.
Speaker 1: It's funny because it's like a cult sort of, but it's a cult based on being related but not a family.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My my husband always called it the little cults, so that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So you have so neither you nor your sister who you took the test with, have any interest in getting meaningfully involved in this group.
Speaker 3: I thought maybe, but then when I got in the group, I don't know. They're a little strange, like they want to go on vacations together and like hang out all the time, and I don't know, I just feel kind of weird about it. And the actual donor is.
Speaker 1: In the group as well, the guy who the father is in the group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I guess my dad is in there too.
Speaker 1: And how does he seem to interact with everyone?
Speaker 3: He doesn't talk as much. He's kind of quiet. But he said he did it just to like help people who can't have kids. But he posted a picture the other day because his actual daughter had a baby, and he's like, look, everyone, it's a new family member.
Speaker 1: Man. That is bizarre.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's so many of them, like seventy.
Speaker 1: Now did the donor start the group?
Speaker 4: I think it was.
Speaker 3: One other guy, like one of the siblings that started it. His name's like Ryan, because he's always like he's the one who posts everything and like gets them all to hang out with each other.
Speaker 1: I'm almost surprised. I don't know, I don't know what the word is for what I am when I hear this, But just just hearing that the donor is quiet and doesn't talk that much feels a lot less alarming than like if he was the one planning the vacations and the kickball leagues and whatnot that I feel like some that would be an extremely weird cult.
Speaker 3: Yes, but kind of the big issue is so my mom and my dad that raised me, they're not together anymore. They're divorced, and my mom told us that we can't tell my dad that we know that we're from a donor her because he does not want us to know. So I've been having to keep this a secret.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Why why are you What was your mom's reasoning for that.
Speaker 3: So my dad, he's he has some angry issues, I feel like, and he has like a lot of pride. So she thinks that he's going to like freak out and be really mad if we know, because she was never supposed to tell us.
Speaker 1: Interesting, why do you think she told you if she was quote never supposed to tell you.
Speaker 3: Because me and my sister we were going to do the DNA test anyway, and so she figured we would find out, so she wanted to be the one to tell us first.
Speaker 1: Okay, And you know, knowing your father, I assume you know him very well. Do you have a good relationship with him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it's good. He was a little rocky there when I was a teenager, but it's good now.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you agree with your mom on the whole uh anger issues thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's definitely calmed down some. But like even with my mom, my mom's remarried and so I have a stepdad and he like feels very threatened by that. Like he doesn't like that me and my stepdad are close together. So I definitely think he would probably be mad knowing I have this other guy.
Speaker 1: He would he might be mad. Yeah, if if if he doesn't like you getting with the forming a relationship with your stepdad. I don't know how he would feel about you forming relationship with the donor dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely don't think he would like it, But I don't know. I just feel weird like lying to him. I always think about it every time we talk.
Speaker 1: Do you really okay? So again, knowing what you know about your dad, do you really think he would get extremely hostile and pissed off if he found out that you knew?
Speaker 3: I want to think about it.
Speaker 2: You probably wouldn't.
Speaker 3: I think I would need to talk to like my mom first about it, though, because I feel like he would take it out on my mom.
Speaker 4: Mmm.
Speaker 1: But but you didn't really find well okay, did you end up you took the test, didn't you?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, well then well then, hell, you didn't find out from your mom. You found out for the test.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, okay, Maybe I'll just do it that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you didn't find out for your mom. You found out about it from the test. That's how you got into this weird Facebook group.
Speaker 3: Yes, my Facebook cult group.
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 3: Just so okay, I'll try it that way.
Speaker 1: In the back of your minds tell me this. Are you even slightly considering going on any of these vacations, even if there was just a little lunch.
Speaker 3: Probably not, because I live down in North Carolina and they're mostly all in like Pennsylvania, so I don't. I don't think I'm going to ever travel up there.
Speaker 1: What is the name of the group? Can I ask?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Donor six nine.
Speaker 1: Zero Donor six nine zero Dad's name.
Speaker 3: That, Yeah, that's his number?
Speaker 1: Can you just r But does Come? Oh my god, I'm about to ask you the stupidest question of all the time. Does Come have a number? Or do you give it a number?
Speaker 3: I guess that's what they like assigned to him, like in the little database. My mom said she just like slipped through books with different guys in it, and she picked the best one.
Speaker 1: Ah see that, if I see, that would make me jealous if I was your dad watching my wife, Yeah, flip through books of guys to see which ones come? She wants?
Speaker 3: Yes, And I'm I'm sure it did. He was like, he's pretty mad that he couldn't have kids, is what she told me.
Speaker 1: But you know what he did. And I assume you love your dad. I assume you guys have a nice relationship as you've been telling me about it, and that you said it was a little bit rocky but got better. I'm glad to hear that, and you know, good luck to you and uh letting him know that that you know, and I hope that he doesn't blow up too bad because uh, I mean, it's the truth, God damn it. Why why hide from it?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: And isn't okaf asked you one last question that my husband's been wanting to ask you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course you wants to know what your.
Speaker 3: You want to know when you went to Guatemala? What was your favorite food? Because he's from there?
Speaker 1: Ah fuck? What was my favorite food when I went to Guatemala? Oh? Man, dude, I don't I don't remember. What's what's his favorite food from Guatemala? Maybe we had the same thing.
Speaker 3: What's your favorite Guatemalan sew our national people. He likes the pepion their national dish.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 1: I've asked like fifty different people when I was in Guatemala what the like Guatemalan food was, and I never really got an answer. And now, okay, when I go back, I'll try that. What was that.
Speaker 3: It's called pepion. It's like a stew with like chicken and vegetables and stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, to answer your question, the best food I had in Guatemala was Natella pancakes from McDonald's.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, well that does sound pretty good.
Speaker 1: Hey, thank you guys for calling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: Look go on YouTube and look up the the McDonald's they have in Guatemala. It's really nice. It's like in a garden and they have a little statue of Ronald McDonald and legend has it that it comes alive at night and makes pancakes. Hello. Hello, what's going on with you?
Speaker 4: Ah man?
Speaker 5: I guess I just kind of wanted like talk to you kind of to get over some awkwardness problems that I have, Like that's costiger about like I have a knack of doing embarrassing ship. That's I can't let I can't writ it down.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 1: Interesting you say that you have a knack for doing embarrassing ship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like today I had a so I decided today out of nowhere that I wanted to be a bald person. So I went to the store and got some there and put it all over my head. And while I was doing it.
Speaker 1: I was kind of.
Speaker 5: Kind of like excited, I guess watching.
Speaker 1: It like you got you got some what.
Speaker 5: Nare like the hair removal product?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and uh, I look really bad and I had to come out in public like this. And in the moment, I guess it was exciting. But now, like a chemical burns all over my body, I'm just embarrassed.
Speaker 1: I guess have you ever heard of a woman named Britney Spears? Yeah, you know, she made a kind of decision to one day cut off all of her hair, and she went on a really long journey. I don't know anything about her. I'm just making this all up. She went on a long journey and she turned out Okay. I think I've again, absolutely no idea. But do you know did she turn out?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: I think she did.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure that people finally left Brittany alone. But yeah, I hope she's doing well. But I just I don't know. I do some some weird shit just haunts me at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you are doing a lot of impulsive things, right, all right? Hmmm, why do you think you do these impulsive things?
Speaker 5: I guess mostly out of uh, maybe boredom or like just the desire to feel something, I guess, and uh, I never get the actual outcome that I wished for at the end.
Speaker 1: All right, So you do it out of boredom and things, which is a really legitimate and uh natural impulse. You know, you're fucking sitting around and you're like, I need to fucking shake up my environment because I'm hyper and mannic and whatnot, and you just whatever the thing that's right there to do, to do that is what you do. Is that accurate?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Pretty much?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm gonna I'm gonna take you through a thread here. Tell me if this again, the whole thing, tell me if it's accurate. So I think that if you're doing a bunch of impulsive stuff, does it come from not having anything productive to do or anything? I just just anything at all to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's pretty accurate. I I only work part time, so I'm not I'm not at the house a lot, and we don't really don't do much.
Speaker 1: So yeah, what do you think you could do as a displacement activity to keep yourself occupied in a manner that is, if not productive, at least not destructive.
Speaker 5: Well, I talk about my real therapist with this sometimes and she always comes up with ship like go outside, take a walk, uh, stuff like that, like color, do that kind of stuff. But that doesn't interest me at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I do occasionally play on the PlayStation, but I just can't keep my mind focused on That's like, there is things that I can do, but for some reason, I don't desire to do those things. I do stupid shit instead.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, you're not. I get you do stupid shit because because you get a hit. Yeah, okay, yeah, I get it. We all do shit to get a hit. I feel that, and and coloring and going on walks or playing video games doesn't give you the same hit as you know, removing all of your hair or hitting somebody's mailbox with a baseball batch or whatever it is you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also have a lot of like.
Speaker 5: Really terrible tattoos on my body, I guess. So that's another thing that I like to do, right, But in the end, it's just embarrassing, I guess.
Speaker 1: Sure. Yeah, okay, so you you do these impulsive behaviors because they're exciting and filled with adrenaline and all that stuff. So okay, your therapist gave you color and go outside. Tell me more about what your therapist said about this problem.
Speaker 5: By the way, she just kind of wants to shove a mood stabilizers down my throat. I guess she's not a good therapis That's why I called you because I feel like talking to somebody like you is more productive than talking to literally any other therapist I've ever had, because it's all just blowney in my opinion. She I mean, really, she just tells me to try to distract myself by doing stuff like the walks, watch a movie I have cats, but play with your cats, stuff like that. But it's not I just don't find the same satisfaction out of that.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, for listen, First of all, always advocate for going to talk to real therapists if you need to go talk to a real therapist. But now that I've given that disclaimer, your therapist she's on the right track, right, She's like, Okay, you have you're doing all and you know that we ever, we all know this you're doing and all this shit because you don't have anything better to do. And she's on the right track with you need to find something better to do, But she's just naming things that are not up your alley. The good news is in defining something better to do, you have literally everything that could possibly exist as an option of things to do. So uh, I mean, there's just there's just there's just infinite things to do. And if going for walks and petting your cat and coloring aren't doing it for you, that does not mean that the only way you're gonna get these hits is by doing impulsive, destructive stuff. It just means you got to get a little more creative.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it might help, like to actually try and like just go out and do stuff I think might be interesting. See if I can make a hit on one of those. But yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, so, I mean, right, what are some other you're you're saying that you're you want to go out into the world and do things that you think might be interesting. What are some of those things? Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: One thing I do enjoy is going to like ride roll coasters like amusement parks and stuff, but that's a little expensive and.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm. What else I like?
Speaker 5: I mean, I want to learn how to work on cars, but I just haven't manded to do that yet. I live in a pretty boring place, so there's not I can't think of too much. I'm trying, though, mm hmm. It's I mean, you're from Maryland. We got a bunch of a Civil War battlefield and that's about it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I want you, dude, I mean look for you. I feel like you should do you know, the roller coaster thing, the go visit civil war thing. I mean, dude, I want for you something like something like recurring and sustainable, Like you can go to a theme park, you know, a civil war, but then when you go home, you're gonna be like I need to set my neighbor's yard on fire. You're gonna go right back into the shit. So you need like a I'm trying for you, like a sustainable thing, Like I'm thinking like side hustle, I'm thinking skill, I'm thinking sport. I'm thinking like it's just something that's really recurring in your life. And listen, we don't have to sit on this phone call and figure out exactly what it is, but if we were to establish some criteria, we know that it should be something that gives you a similar hit to what you get when you do this impulsive stuff. And it should be something that's like sustainable and reoccurring, not just a day at the theme park, because that's not gonna really transform you or get you anywhere. So if anything after this, call just like again, if we don't figure out exactly what the thing is, and I'm sure in chat they're naming like fifty different specific things, just like, stay attached to that line of thinking and see where it takes you and really follow it down, which is I need something that's going to replace this impulsive nature that I have, and it needs to be something sustainable. So think a little bit more than day trips. Think a little bit more than playing with your cat. Think about some fucking think about something you can make money off of. You know, maybe it becomes your career in a way. You know, maybe maybe it's something that is productive in some other way. I mean, I don't want to keep naming specific things because I feel like that's not as helpful as like trying to set up a framework. But do you get what I'm saying?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Okay, cool, I get it, man, Okay, cool, I'm gonna be thinking about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, stay, stay stay being thinking about that because I think I think just if we can just establish a framework within you to be able to think about what the thing is. Just keep keep thinking within that, and I think you'll get somewhere.
Speaker 5: I got you, man, before we go, Uh, beware that there will give you burns if you use it.
Speaker 4: On your hair. That's it.
Speaker 1: Smart smart. Thanks for calling Danny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a good one.
Speaker 1: Then you too, that saying. I didn't want to like, I didn't want to sit on that call and try to think of like the exact thing because I feel it's not as helpful as being like, Okay, it needs to be something that does this and is not like that, but is also that. I just think within that framework and eventually you gets somewhere, and I think he will. I hope he will. And if not, he can always go light his neighbor's yard on fire.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 1: Hello, how are you?
Speaker 2: I am?
Speaker 4: I am?
Speaker 2: You know in this moment, I am doing swell?
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 1: Tell me more about this moment?
Speaker 2: This moment I am. I am delving into a coloring page book, which I have not done in a very long time.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: You know, just felt like one of those days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what inspired you to do a coloring page book?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: I don't really know. I just kind of came home and I, I don't know, I saw a pencil sharpener. I suppose I saw a pencil sharpener. I was like, you know, I was supposed to use that for something, and then I remember it's.
Speaker 1: Actually not and it's actually kind of a I'm inspired by that idea. I'm looking for more and more things to just zone out and focus in on. I feel like a lot of my downtime is not even it's not even spent intentionally. It's just like scrolling and eating things and like really following the completely chaotic whim of dopamine addiction that I've got myself on into like shut everything down and go I am going to color for the next hour. That sounds pretty nice. I can see why you're so relaxed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been.
Speaker 2: I've been. I've been trying to do that same thing lately. You know, I'm just trying to get away from, like you said, all those dopaminergic just kind of time time wast deals, just maybe you know, sit with yourself for a little while, you know.
Speaker 1: So, Evan, is there anything in particular that you called in to talk about?
Speaker 2: In fact, Dick, there is I am in a predicament of sorts.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 2: I have feelings for my best friend who is a man, and that is a new thing on my end as of recent uh me rolling around to that idea. And he has a girlfriend currently and I have in fact expressed this to him, but uh and and I was told that there was reciprocation in that feeling m hm. And and we are we are set to move in together during the next six months. Uh and his his girlfriend has moved out of state for school, and that I don't know. That situation has just caused some inner turmoil. I suppose maybe turmoil is not the right word, but it's caused. It's caused some inner some inner movement, I guess, and in terms of how kind of where the lines are drawn and what is safe to talk about in regard to that with him, and kind of where this goes when we do move in.
Speaker 1: So let me get this straight. Yes, you have feelings for your friend. Your friend has feelings for you, but he's got a girlfriend. You and your friend are about to move in together just as roommates, because you had where was the were you planning to move in together? Before you even was kind of brought these feelings to light.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: And when you told your friend you have feelings for him, did he tell you that he was planning to break up with his girlfriend and be with you?
Speaker 4: No? No, okay?
Speaker 2: And yeah, that's kind of another thing, is I don't know. I really enjoy their relationship and I enjoy being around them. It's not it's not a sense of jealousy or envy or anything of the sort. When you know we're all in a bunch and that that in itself has its own I don't know its own feel to it, because it's a it's a situation where I'm I'm not hoping that a beautiful relationship ends for my own personal gain, because that's weird and somewhat I don't know. I was gonna say evil, but I don't know. It's it's it's an odd situation.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I I wouldn't say evil either, but I would say unproductive because I don't want you, you know, bonding, and and I don't want you waiting around for your friend to come around to you, because I mean, you know, look, take the the the love triangle melodrama out of all this, right, you know, that's what that's That's what I would say to anyone who likes anyone who who who may be giving them unclear signals of how they feel back. Although it's wit to me the weirdest thing that you're dealing with here is you know, it'd be one thing if you like somebody they they didn't like you back, or they did and it was complicated or whatever. You liked them, couldn't be with them. It'd be one thing if it was just a random person. But you're about to move in with this guy. That is the piece of the puzzle that makes this the most difficult, because I see that making it very difficult to move on from this situation.
Speaker 4: But also that was.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, please you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the That was the initial reason why I told him. It was because it was kind of I don't know, we knew that that was coming up, so I was like, we should probably address that.
Speaker 4: And then right, m hmm.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know you that well, but and I don't know the how your feelings work, but you seem like, actually, you know, a very mature guy who is able to have a handle on his feelings. And I you know, if you believe that you can live with this guy, be around him and his girlfriend, end and whatnot, and not be encumbered with the your feelings to a point where it's negatively affecting you. Then I think that's nice and I but if you can't, I don't think there's anything wrong with doing something about that by attempting to distance yourself from the relationship. How you do that exactly if you signed a lease is an interesting question.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's I don't know. That's kind of the worry. That's kind of the main worry I have.
Speaker 4: I suppose is.
Speaker 2: Moving I know that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's kind of obvious with when you have feelings for people, but when you are, when I'm around him, those feelings are exemplified and magnet fine because it's you know, you're spending time together. But yeah, of course, the whole it's the whole deal of I don't I don't know what it will be like in terms of the how the feelings are going when we.
Speaker 4: Do move in together.
Speaker 2: If it's going to be a thing where I'm still you know, keeping my cool mostly in everything, or it's going to be a thing where it's I don't know, kind of a constant reminder thing of like, oh, man.
Speaker 1: Have you signed Elise yet?
Speaker 4: We have not know?
Speaker 1: Oh you haven't signed a Lase yet?
Speaker 4: No? No?
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, why do you want to move in with this guy?
Speaker 4: Well? We, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We've been friends for a long time and it's I don't know. He's kind of one of the in this day and age with how money goes. You know, renting a place by yourself can be pretty it can get you pretty tight on on money.
Speaker 1: Well sure, but I mean come on, you can you you know you can find a roommate anywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I guess we've always kind of known that in terms of productivity and comfortability with a roommate that we would be best matched. M everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, so in making your decision and thinking about the situation of living with him, uh, is it causing you stress to think about?
Speaker 2: I would say so, yeah, And I don't really know how or if that is something I should express to him.
Speaker 1: I mean, m you know, Evan, I don't love expressly telling people what I think they should do. But you know, I'm going to talk to you about this, uh, you know, as if you were just my buddy coming to me about this, and I feel like, I don't feel like you should do it. Man, I don't think you should move in with this guy. If this is a thing that's up in the air, I think that, I mean, fuck you don't. You don't have to stop being friends with the dude, right, You don't have to never go over there. You don't have to cut off complete contact unless, if you know, unless if you like him so much and it's that bad and it's causing that much anguish, in which case it would be helpful to you to do. But I it just from everything you've told us, it doesn't sound like a good idea to move in with this guy.
Speaker 2: Can I I guess, from from your view, what are the biggest cons out of the pros and cons list that you would say? Like, what the what would you say would be the negatives of moving in?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: Just you know, look, I mean, if you have feelings for this guy, but you know it's not going to work out, and you don't want to wait around for it to work out, And I just hate the idea that you're expending any energy against against that that you could be using on an infinite number of other things that you that that could be better benefiting your life. That's the the thesis behind why I think you should not do that.
Speaker 2: Well, gek I, I appreciate you telling you that. I'm talking to me a real home, like a real get go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, Evan, thanks for you know, being open with us about this stuff. You seem like a dude with a good head on his shoulders, so I'm really not that worried about you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 4: Man, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Beck is out here doing real magic, real people.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for calling Evan.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, good day.
Speaker 1: It's so. I was relieved to hear him say that he didn't sign the lease because we've gotten stuff on here before where people are in uh and I just in my personal life, I've anecdotally heard this stuff where like you get interpersonal conflicts between people that are made about a thousand times worse by having signed a fucking lease that physically traps people together who are experiencing conflict, and Evan has has narrowly escaped that situation. I was relieved to hear he didn't sign a lease and to me, it would be a tragic mistake for him to go and sign a lease and then realize, oh, actually, every day seeing this guy who I I like with his girlfriend is actually hurting me a lot. But what the fuck am I going to do? I'm not going to be able to move out. I'm so close to it. It just seems like it would be a terrible mistake. Hello. Hello, Hi, wo Yeah is this Who is this?
Speaker 4: Jimmy?
Speaker 1: You sound like a like a nice fella.
Speaker 4: I'm a pretty nice guy. Okay, I got pretty interesting story to tell you today.
Speaker 1: What's up? Man?
Speaker 4: So? Uh? I live a kind of a wildlife and I don't know. I guess I'm built different. But I am thirty minutes away from a cult.
Speaker 1: You are, what with a cult?
Speaker 4: I'm thirty minutes away from joining occult.
Speaker 1: Thirty minutes away from joining a cult? Yes, sir, okay, what is this cult?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's kind of hard to join a cult. It took me a while to find a cult that would that I could contact. When you're looking for a cult to join, you run into a lot of don't join a cult, And I mean, I'm sure none of these people are viewers of your show, but i'd rather or not disclosed it's a cult. Notably it is a cult, but I would say it's kind of mid.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jimmy, let's okay, all right, let's let's start here. Let's start here. You says you're thirty three years old. Yes, why do you want to join a cult?
Speaker 4: I've just kind of been through some stuff. I know you're not a real therapist, so I don't want to get you down or or anything. I don't want to say too much, but I don't know. Like I said, I've lived a wildlife and I used to do a want drugs and I'm done with that, so I think I'll try a cult.
Speaker 1: Okay, you used to do a lot of drugs, and now you are done doing drugs. So instead of doing drugs, you were going to join a cult.
Speaker 4: That's about rock.
Speaker 1: Okay, what kind of cult are you looking to join? Is this a religious thing? Is this a philosophy thing? Is it a lifestyle thing? Is a community thing? What are you looking for and what are you hoping to get out of it?
Speaker 4: I mean, I kind of know a little bit about it because I've been talking to them all day long. Really, I just wanted a community. I kind of wanted to just I don't know. They can like go off planet, and you know, I don't have the money to fly to say, so that's what I'm.
Speaker 1: Doing, all right. You're looking to like a band in your life and start a new.
Speaker 4: I what.
Speaker 1: To abandon your life and start new? Yes, okay, it's a natural impulse. I don't know if it's a natural impulse, but it's an impulse. It's an understandable impulse. That's what I meant to say. I've fantasized about that all the time, all the time. So you want to abandon the life that you're currently living and try something new. This sounds like it's a very hail merry type of thing, like, well, fuck it, I love the crazy life. I don't have anything else to do. Let's do this.
Speaker 4: I've abandoned my life several different ways, and honestly, this is not such a bad way to do it. I don't think.
Speaker 1: You say you've abandoned your life in other ways.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with drugs and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you have any friends.
Speaker 4: Online friends? Family?
Speaker 1: Online friends? Okay, give your family. Do you have family?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I have family. I think my brother's watching it.
Speaker 1: Okay, And do you are you like in touch with your parents?
Speaker 4: Uh? Yeah, they're They're okay with it. They know. I was telling the screener that, uh, you might be besides my mom when.
Speaker 1: I Jimmy there, Yeah, I'm here. You said something something besides me. Yeah, you said something about your mom. Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna call her before I go in the gates. But other than that, you're probably the last person I'll talk to you.
Speaker 1: I'm the last person you talked to before you you'll go into the gates.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What are these gates?
Speaker 4: I guess it's an orchard. I'm not really sure.
Speaker 1: Now when you say I'm the last person you'll talk to, are you saying that in this place they don't allow you to have a phone or internet.
Speaker 4: No. Yeah, they're going to take everything when I get.
Speaker 1: There, and they don't allow you to have any contact with the outside world.
Speaker 4: No. They said there's a trial period where I can leave.
Speaker 1: Oh that means okay, Does that mean that once the trial period ends you cannot leave.
Speaker 4: Once I accept my new name, they're going to rename me.
Speaker 1: They're going to rename you.
Speaker 4: This is definitely it's definitely the craziest thing I've ever done.
Speaker 1: Why are they what are they gonna name you? Do you have any idea?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a Hebrew name. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Is this a Jewish cults?
Speaker 4: Uh? It's a combination Christianity, Herb and Judaism.
Speaker 1: I'm not okay.
Speaker 4: That is definitely not a denomination. All right.
Speaker 1: It's a combination of Christianity and Judaism.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I'm walking up and down a dirt road right now.
Speaker 1: You're walking up at dirt road right now, are there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Can hear me?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It keeps connected into my truck.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, where are you leaving your your truck? Are you just abandoning your truck?
Speaker 4: So? Have you ever seen those pictures of like dusty vehicles sitting outside of a colt?
Speaker 1: I have never seen pictures of dusty vehicles sitting outside of a colt.
Speaker 4: Well, it's it's I guess if they convinced me to stay, I guess I'm gonna my truck will be there.
Speaker 1: What does your brother think about this?
Speaker 4: I don't know. My family's kind of supportive of it. I don't think they really realize what I'm getting into. But I also think they believe that nobody's gonna keep me there if I don't want to be there.
Speaker 1: Jimmy, do you do you know what you're getting into?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been talking to them all day. I've done a bunch of research on them. Like I said, they're kind of mid like they've only been raided by the FBI. Want now it was a long time ago. I guess they have uh children they don't tell anybody about, and they name them themselves. And I don't know, Jimmy not.
Speaker 1: You're not fucking with me right now, are you? You're really no gates of a place, not at all. Why were they raided by the FBI.
Speaker 6: To the U when the research I did was that they had they were having children at the community and not telling anybody.
Speaker 4: So they pulled the kids out and gave them government names, and I don't know, I guess gave them back. From what I understand, seems like a good place. But I don't think anybody there knows who the president is? Is that like this?
Speaker 1: The main thing that's desirable to you is to exist off the grid and not know who the president is and be done with the outside world and just submit yourself to something greater than you.
Speaker 4: I want to see what it's all about, you know, because you always hear about everybody that escapes and talks a bunch of crap. But there's a lot of people that stay.
Speaker 1: That, you know what, That is a good point. There's a lot of people that stay, and why do they stay. They wouldn't stay if it wasn't if they weren't getting something mad of it. Yeah, so who knows, you Maybe you will get something out of this experience. I'm not who am I to say that you want.
Speaker 4: If I you know, I was thinking, if I escape, maybe I'll make a YouTube video where I don't know, it seems like a good idea to like try it so you don't have to. And maybe I could just join a couple of cults and let everybody know what they're a lot, Jimmy.
Speaker 1: I respect the way you live your life. I really do. It seems like you just kind of I go with the flow. I guess I don't. I don't know how to really describe, but I'm observing to be your lifestyle philosophy. But I in when faced with the knowledge that all of our societal structures are products of the mind, I think the way that you are approaching your relinquishment of them is at the very least a real admirable effort.
Speaker 4: I think it's the best choice that I've made when I felt like like like giving up.
Speaker 1: Is this a form of giving up?
Speaker 4: Like it's progress? My maps are talking to me telling me where to go?
Speaker 1: Is this a form of giving up?
Speaker 4: I don't know. It's kind of like abduction, you know what I'm saying. It's kind of like aliens that are like, yes, come, come here, and they're they're taking me. I don't know. I think it's interesting and I'm not doing anything else right now. So they said I could leave in a week. I don't know. I don't know. They're could keep me there, but.
Speaker 1: Jimmy, yeah, stay safe, man.
Speaker 4: My Google maps keeps trying to talk to me and tell me where to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonn I'm gonna let you get back to it.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else the show?
Speaker 4: It would have to be something about despair and making the better choice than you know, the worst choice, because you want to take the worst route. But there's a lot of different routes you can take to change everything up. And no, I'm not gonna no harm is gonna come of this, I hope, But if I escape, I'll call back and let you know how it win.
Speaker 1: Thank you for calling, Jimmy, Thank you. I think sometimes with these calls, I search in my mind for what's the perfect thing to say. What can I say that it's helpful to the person listening or is entertaining?
Speaker 4: Two?
Speaker 1: What can I say that is helpful to the person I'm talking to or is entertaining to the people listening? And leally that that feeling to say the perfect thing have actually gotten in the way of me saying the truth. And the truth is that I have really absolutely no idea what to make of that call. And I could further elaborate on my confusion, but I don't think that I need to. I think you guys get it. Goes on the line taking your phone calls every night.
Speaker 2: There goes to his I's
Speaker 4: Teaching you cloud in the literal life, but he's not really an expert.