Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers podcast, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg data.
Speaker 3: Let's look at some of the individual stocks that are on the move today here in Europe. I'm Caroline Hepget and I'm joined by our Bloomberg Equities reported Chloe Malay. Chloe, good morning, Good morning. So thinking about European stocks, Adidas to shares are down.
Speaker 1: Why so, on the surface, the results from Adidas this morning were actually quite good to the profit be estimates. That was due to strong demand for its retro sneakers like the Samba sneakers. We see those all over London. But this wasn't really enough to have set invest a concern about two things in particular. So first of all, it reported weaker than expected revenue growth, so that was weighed down by the stronger euro and then also the end of the Easy franchise. And then secondly, and more importantly, it disappointed investors by only reaffirming and not raising its annual guidance. And that's obviously despite that uplift in profit during the second quarter that I mentioned. So that means that now the guidance actually sits below analysts expectations, and the reason why the CEO didn't want to raise that guidance is because of that continuing uncertainty around the impact of US tariffs. He said that he expects the associated costs of Adidas products for the US to reach as much as two hundred million euros this year, and of course that could have a knock on effect on consumer demand there So that was the kind of reasoning for not raising that forecast, but that of course disappointed investors.
Speaker 3: Gosh, I'm surprised that the Yeasy brand, the conclusion of that is still something that's weighing on addidus. I mean, that's a really sort of old story, isn't it quite interested in that? What about luxury names and shoppers are turning away from Cowing's largest brand, Gucci.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so in the luxury sector we had Carrying but also ammez and so this is quite interesting because we've seen with those two, we've seen a continuation of the trends that we have seen over the last few quarters. So high in luxury, like Almes is very resilient. You know, if you can buy it back in bag, you can buy it whenever, really, so you can buy anything even when the economy is not good. Whereas the more aspirational end of the market, so things that Gucci, they struggled a little bit more in terms of times of economic downturn. And so we saw that today. So Emmes revenue rose nine percent in the second quarter and carrying revenue fell fifteen percent in the second quarter, so we can see that divergence there, but the shares kind of responded in the opposite way. So carrying shares actually rose because the resources was just not as bad as it was expected. And then also there's a fair bit of enthusiasm for the arrival of the new CEO, Luca de Mero, who's coming in in September. There's enthusiasm and hope that he might turn around the fortunes of Caring, whereas AMA shars actually fell because it's been trading so strongly and the earnings momentum just does and look strong enough according to analysts to kind of justify it continue to justify such a high valuation.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, And I mean, if you really want to be in with the in crowd, it's all about understanding what the new artistic director at Gucci Demna, he's going to deliver and we're going to get first hints of that in September. But then the big revere will be at Milan in mark Chare. So the fashionistas have told me I will have on. Yeah, let's see, okay, Danone that says that sales also beat expectations Activitia, yogurt and so on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Dan, and yeah, it did did really well this morning. Shares rose quite a bit, so volumes rose across all categories, but it was really led by high protein products. So it's really benefiting from the recent sort of protein trends. So that's driven of course by people on GLP ones that kind of need those high protein products like like yogurt, like dairy, et cetera, but then also just more generally health conscious consumers and there's a real drive for for protein products.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 1: Those results were kind of really a vote of confidence in the turnaround from the CEO, Antoine south Afric, who took over from the previous year in twenty twenty one, and that was following kind of a decade of stagnation for the company. So it seems like he's really turning things around. Another strong unit was the medical nutrition business, so that includes infant formula but then also food for cancer patients and the elderly. That's been boosted by Devon and China, and there's quite a good growth outlook because of the aging population, so that's interesting to look at. And one negative spot was the water catchcrease, so every involvic Apparently people don't want to buy.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.