Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy centralow.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central is America's only sorts for news. This is The Daily Show with your host Jasey Lion.
Speaker 3: Welcome to The Daily Show.
Speaker 4: I'm Jessie Lydek.
Speaker 3: We've got so much to talk about tonight.
Speaker 5: Democrats can't remember where they put their Riz America whitewashes Black History Month, and Donald Trump loses a fight to a girl.
Speaker 3: So let's get right into it.
Speaker 4: I've been a comedy.
Speaker 3: Since taking office.
Speaker 5: Donald Trump and the Republicans have been making a lot of big changes in the same way that Godzilla made some big changes in Tokyo. But there's also been a liberal opposition growing.
Speaker 3: Over the past few weeks.
Speaker 5: People have started taking to the streets and making their voices.
Speaker 6: Heard hundreds of federal employees gathered on Capitol Hill for what they call a rally to save the Civil Service. Which side are you on?
Speaker 7: Which side are you on?
Speaker 8: We're fight against Joe, We're fine, leave on.
Speaker 3: This Which key are we on? Oh?
Speaker 5: Sorry, but that sounded so bad. I had to cleanse my ears with an RFK junior speech. Were there any protests that aren't just singing.
Speaker 9: There is a unique protest getting underway at the Kennedy Center. Two dance companies are staging a dance protest, as they're calling it again the Trump administration's recent takeover of the Kennedy Center.
Speaker 1: We have started to see dancers show up here to the Kennedy Center doing a dance.
Speaker 3: It's called the Milkin Line.
Speaker 10: It's by a German.
Speaker 3: Dancer that is pretty popular.
Speaker 5: They tell me, is.
Speaker 3: This how white ladies protest?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 3: I demand to dance for the manager. You know what.
Speaker 5: At least they're getting out there, and these are regular citizens doing their best. It's not their responsibility to block the Trump agenda. That's on the Democratic Party. They have the talent and experience honed from decades of asking me for money. They'll know, they will know exactly the most effective way to fight Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: We need to change the conversation.
Speaker 4: And that's why I'm launching a new podcast.
Speaker 5: California Governor Gavin Newsom is starting a podcast. I can't believe they rebuilt LA that fast. Glad you have the time. I mean forgive me for not subscribing to the Gavin Newsom Palmade Hour, But I think the moment calls for a little more than polite conversation, although some Democrats are taking that very literally.
Speaker 10: If you could speak directly to Elon Musk, what would you say.
Speaker 5: Okay, you guys kissed your lobbyists with that mouth.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: The Democratic strategy written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. Look, I get the spirit behind it, but cursing in politics doesn't exactly age.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: The Gettysburg address wouldn't have been the classic it became if it went four score and a ten years ago. Not to mention, dropping the F bomb isn't really for everyone. I noticed Congresswoman Maxine Dexter had a little bit of trouble.
Speaker 10: I am going to tell you that we do have to.
Speaker 8: I don't swear in public very long, but we have to trump.
Speaker 5: Oh, you are right, you don't swear in public very well. There are a thousand ways to say you, and you found literally the only wrong one. I mean, unless she meant we have to trump. There's a sign up sheet next to the stage, suck him off, suck him off. But not all Democrats are filling up the swear jar. Some have gone much more highbrow, with a little resistance wordplay every.
Speaker 11: Time you hear DOGE the Department of Government efficiency, you just remember it is he's the Department of Government Evil.
Speaker 4: Doge, which actually stands for destruction of government by Elon.
Speaker 2: Just stands for Department of gutting education, Dave, this holodox glab everything.
Speaker 5: All right, Okay, I see what you did there. I'm just glad that Maxine Dexter didn't join in. She'd be like more like the Department of Glory holding Elon.
Speaker 7: Oh right, this is.
Speaker 5: What happens when you're the Party of liberal arts Majors magat stormed the Capitol and Democrats are doing creative writing exercises.
Speaker 3: But hey, if.
Speaker 5: Clever acronyms aren't your thing, Democrats are also pulling out some timely pop culture references.
Speaker 1: We also know, of course, that Elon Musk is sending his unqualified dog staff to carry out this agenda across all these agencies, and in some cases actually teenage staffers. They're trying to rob you and their problem a minor thank you and a year flo.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, I became a Republican for a second. I don't know how, but I think this congressman somehow just lost the beef for Kendrick.
Speaker 3: I do think.
Speaker 5: I do think, though, that every rat battle should end with thank you, I yield my time.
Speaker 3: Let's all be fair, okay.
Speaker 5: Because not all of the democratic messaging has been breaking the cringe of meters. Bernie Sanders has been on an anti oligarchy tour and his town halls have been drawing huge, huge crowds. Remember, he's been warning us about the oligarchy way before Elon Musk was wearing a MAGA hat. So this really feels like his moment. Too bad, He'll be eighty seven years old by the time the next election rolls around, unless we can give him this substance, don't no, I'm halfway through that movie.
Speaker 3: I assume it all works out.
Speaker 5: One Democrat who took it to Trump face to face the governor of Maine, Janet Mills.
Speaker 3: Last week, Trump held a.
Speaker 5: Meeting at the White House where he called her out for refusing to comply with his ban on trans athletes, and once he did that, she made it clear that she wasn't going to comply with any of his bullshit.
Speaker 12: The NCAA has complied immediately, by the way. That's good, but I understand Maine is.
Speaker 3: The main here.
Speaker 12: The governor in my own I'm here. Are you not going to comply with it?
Speaker 8: I'm complying with the state of feral law.
Speaker 12: Well we are the federal law.
Speaker 8: Well you better do it. You better do it.
Speaker 12: Because you're not going to get any federal funding at all of you don't. And by the way, your population, even though it's somewhat liberal orlough I did very well there. Your population doesn't want men playing in women's sports.
Speaker 1: So you got to do that.
Speaker 12: Comply because otherwise you're not getting any federal funding. See you every state. Good, I'll see you. Nafforative that that you're.
Speaker 11: Being really easy?
Speaker 5: Know, yes, Andy Cohen will never make a show just as good as what I just watched.
Speaker 3: That's how you do it. Forget singing, forget dancing.
Speaker 5: This is how you confront Trump with tipsy ant energy, define the issues and force the court.
Speaker 3: To pick aside. No no, no, no, no no no stop that stop that, stop that, get it out of here. Stop.
Speaker 5: For more on the Democratic resistance, let's go to Washington, d C. With our very own Grace Cool and Schmidt.
Speaker 8: Grace.
Speaker 5: It seems like the governor of Maine has the best strategy here for Democrats confront Trump and take him to court.
Speaker 8: Agree to disagree, Dozzi, I think the other lady had the better idea. Democrats need the Donald trump.
Speaker 7: Him real good.
Speaker 5: I don't think that was actually an idea. I think she just accidentally misspoke.
Speaker 8: A lot of great ideas come from accidents, silly Puddy, super glue, the Titanic movie, Grace.
Speaker 5: No, this is this is not a real idea. How is fucking Trump gonna work?
Speaker 8: Oh? A peanis will go into the vagina?
Speaker 5: No no, no, no, no no no. I mean, like, how would Democrats do that?
Speaker 8: Of course, Colia girl on top, guy on top, reverse cowgirl, the octopus.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, no, I know I know how to do that.
Speaker 3: Wait, what is the octopus?
Speaker 8: You need an above ground pool and four people, or or one person with a lot of arms.
Speaker 3: Okay, forget it.
Speaker 5: But but why would having sex with Trump be a good strategy?
Speaker 8: Think of all those guy's pent up anger, his terrible decision making, his frantic energy. He's got blue balls of the brain. Think of it like a volcano. If you don't jack off the mountain every so often, it only explode and wipe out an Italian village that's.
Speaker 5: Science, DESI, Grace, that's not how volcanoes or the male body works.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is.
Speaker 8: But maybe if the Democrats him so good, he'll get that post nut clarity. He'll be like, wait, why am I cutting funding to stop ebola?
Speaker 7: And why is Elon doing here?
Speaker 5: I hate this guy, no, Grace, Come on, there are better ways to stop Trump than an orgy.
Speaker 8: Okay, I didn't say orgy, but.
Speaker 3: I like it. You're a freak.
Speaker 8: Look, it's not only anything else has worked. Voting didn't work, and ditingham didn't work. They even lost the election after getting an endorsement from America's sweetheart Liz Cheney. The only option left is to run out the clock four to seven minutes at.
Speaker 5: A times, very ambitious, fine, three to.
Speaker 8: Five minutes at a time. Face it, DESI, you want Demps to take action. They got to give Trump some action. You want Dems to stop jerking off and get to work. They got to get to work jerking him off. You want Demps to not blow at their dogs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I get it. I get where you're going. I get it.
Speaker 8: I bet you get it, you sex monster. But if this isn't the strategy, I literally don't know what is.
Speaker 5: They could just embrace a younger generation who can clearly make the case for a pro worker, progressive America.
Speaker 8: No, I think you were right. Your group best idea is the only option.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, great, that wasn't my idea. Forget it, Grace, Colin Schmid, everybody.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we have a very magi of blackness dream. I should go go.
Speaker 12: Mar Daily Show.
Speaker 5: February is Black History Months, but has the Trump administration changed the way we commemorate it.
Speaker 3: Josh Johnson hit the streets to find out.
Speaker 7: What a world.
Speaker 4: It's Josh Johnson and it's also Black History Month, except this year Trump is back in the White House and any mention of anything diverse, equitable, or inclusive aka black is absolutely taboo. So I'm out here to see if we can find some people to help us celebrate the new History Month.
Speaker 3: I said it.
Speaker 4: Can you hit me with the story of Martin Luther King Junior without saying stuff like that's our secretion?
Speaker 3: Is a tough one, Okay, So she was.
Speaker 1: A leader of the ABAS at the time.
Speaker 4: Shy away from that one is gonna get people asking questions. Okay, tell me the story in a few sentences of Rosa Parks without saying stuff like, uh, woman who's tired.
Speaker 13: She was a woman uh in a time who needed transportation and she was unable to take the transportation she deserved.
Speaker 8: In the Can I say, seats.
Speaker 7: In the seat she deserves?
Speaker 4: Can you tell me about Frederick Douglass without saying.
Speaker 14: I know he was It was Tupac who learned from the most out of Frederick Douglass. It was inspiration through Frederick Douglass And what if he did in his time that informed Tupac to impartment itself on the lap. Yeah, people didn't know that.
Speaker 4: What's something I'd never thought about before, which is that Frederick Douglas gave us Tupac in a sense which I did not see coming. Why do you think some people are so against kiddry momp?
Speaker 12: Oh, some people are just posteria or officials.
Speaker 10: I don't understand that content.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but I guess they have some issues.
Speaker 6: More therapy required.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, So the only thing a person has going for them, yeah, is the fact that they're white.
Speaker 7: Then they're going to cling to that.
Speaker 4: Well, I agree with everything you said. It's probably one of the worst things you could have hit on.
Speaker 3: Uh okay, now pull you aside right here for a quick sideball.
Speaker 4: Now, are there any meetings that I'm not aware of that we're like getting together and going over Malcolm X.
Speaker 10: You could go to a Lord Hill concert, waitper not to show up, and then talk to people at that concert.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 4: I appreciate your playing, you know what, because you did such a great job.
Speaker 7: I do have a prize for you. You won Harriet Tubman twenty.
Speaker 3: Oh I have for both of you.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Harriet Tubman twenty. Maybe you know, one day you can use those tubmans to buy something. Tickets Beyonce tickets would be great. It would take a substantial amount of tubmans to get Beyonce tickets, but in a better world.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Jas and Johns.
Speaker 5: When we come back, Gabrielle Union will be joining me on the show.
Speaker 3: So don't go away. Welcome back to the Heyy Show.
Speaker 5: My guest tonight is an actor, producer, and entrepreneur who stars in the new movie Riff Rath. Please welcome gabriel Unie.
Speaker 3: You're very excited to see you, as am I. Oh my gosh, so happy you're here. Also, thank you guys. Yeah, right, A good.
Speaker 5: Loud, so happy that you're here. Congratulations on the movie.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 5: It's so much fun. You're incredible in it. And truth be told, there are a lot of great tips on how to commit crimes in this movie.
Speaker 3: So I'll get away with it.
Speaker 7: So many well not to get away with it, but yeah, almost so close.
Speaker 3: Spoiler alert. You know this. The cast is incredible.
Speaker 5: It's the sane you, Bill Murray, Ed Harris, Jennifer Coolidge, who you saw on the clip, P Davidson, I mean.
Speaker 7: Lewis Pullman, Lewis Pullman, I mean no, I And I was, you know, a little intimidated. Initially. I think it was the third person to sign on. It was Jennifer, who's you know, the star and the icon, who's also the executive producer. And then it was Ed Harris and they're like, you would be Ed Harris's you know, love interest will oh good, that's all the right stuff. Yeah, yes, please, all it took. That's all it really, It really is all it took.
Speaker 5: And I read that you all filmed everything in twenty two days.
Speaker 3: Yes, is that true? And mostly in one location?
Speaker 7: Yes, The vast majority of the movie was in one location, which was the house that you see in the film, which is a little smaller than it appears. So yeah, there there. We had a lot of challenges like heat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, if you're going to be stuck in a house for twenty two days with a cast that's not a bad cast to be stuck and not a bad cast.
Speaker 7: But you know, what, do you bring animals to work? Generally most people are like, does anyone have allergies? And that that didn't happen.
Speaker 3: And there were animals brought.
Speaker 7: Someone brought their dog right to except one of our cast members who show main name was Pete. He is terribly allergic to dogs.
Speaker 3: Oh god.
Speaker 7: And you know it starts with you know, with the oh yes, and then we're watching him turn into hitch and I was like, oh, this is awful. Or like people, you know, they think that they're you know, far enough away from where we're filming that they can eat the ridos and you know you are delivering. You're like, and this is my Oscar winning performance, and it's like crunch, crunch, crunch. Okay, we didn't we didn't get that.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Well, I have to say the movie's phenomenal and your work is phenomenal.
Speaker 14: In it.
Speaker 5: So congratulations on that we have a little something in common. Your first job ever was interning at a modeling agency. My first job ever was interning at a modeling agent. Okay, yes, but yours blossomed into an incredibly successful modeling career.
Speaker 7: Can we incredibly successful? I don't. Let's see. Yeah, look at that. I mean, Naomi Campbell was clearly shaking in her boot.
Speaker 5: I knew, absolutely adorable. And you you had a booming modeling career at that time.
Speaker 7: That was one eight hundred dentist.
Speaker 3: But it paid well, did it?
Speaker 7: I think it was like one hundred and twenty a day And I was like, oh, I'm rich. And then you paid twenty percent and the taxes and the whatnot, and I was like, so I have six dollars. But you would do those like industrials, yes, where they're like where this headset right for one hundred and whatever a day. And then later when I you know, started you know, getting a little bigger in Hollywood. Oh, they brought that. They brought it out because it's cheap, cheap photos. And now I'm the lady in the on Star Uh, you know thing when you buy your car and it's like Hello, I'm with on Star and it's me with the damn headset on. Oh my god, Like I'm like promoting this, but it was just, you know, well back when we're broke, you.
Speaker 5: Do these damn of course you sign up and you're young and you don't know any better.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't want to flex, okay, but flex on me. But I too had a little bit of a modeling career. Let's see this many years ago. So DPM, do you have a picture?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's it's the double loop.
Speaker 3: Not everyone would have done the double loop.
Speaker 7: No, it's the double loop. It's the double it's like the glass like I used to do Montgomerywards all the biggest department stores for their big Memorial Day weekend double spread.
Speaker 3: And I yeah, oh yeah, you know that. Oh just so organic. Yeah, my modeling.
Speaker 5: Career started and ended with that photo. Basically yeah, same, same, same, same. I am so impressed you were. You were incredibly outspoken about the deep inequalities that exist in the entertainment industry.
Speaker 3: What does what does progress look like?
Speaker 7: To you? I mean, when you move beyond representation, representation is step one when there's a billion steps. I don't want to see at a crappy table. That just means I'm covered in crap. Like I want real uh the power, the power to actually elicit change, right, you know what I mean? And that doesn't come with step one that you have to actually be uncomfortable. So when I, you know, started producing, and I and I was putting together projects, you know, and you know, when the rubber hits the road, they're like, well, are you willing to give up money to make sure such and such as paid? I was like, yeah, I am, I am.
Speaker 6: And you.
Speaker 7: Have to be willing to do the right thing even if it makes you uncomfortable or even if it doesn't actively benefit you, because real equality and real liberation is what benefits all of us. And you have to be a community.
Speaker 5: I wish more producers were like you. That's what separates you from a lot of people. It's and it's proven to be wildly successful. When you were starting your producing career, you talked about an experience that happened on the set of Deliver Us from EVA that changed the way that you looked at producing from that point forward.
Speaker 3: What was that?
Speaker 7: So we were in the hair and makeup trailer and knows me an ll ll cooled. They are familiar, and I, you know, I'm very scorpio and I like to I like to argue, and I like to be right more than anything. And people are like, do you want to be right? Or do you or do you want you know? Do you want love? And I was like, to be right. I feel loved if I'm writing. So we were having a little argument back and forth. But the time is to ticken, right, and you're thinking, this is the most important thing right end of the day, I've for forgotten about the little debate that we were having, and I overhear one of the crew guys say, well, now I'm not going to make it to my daughter's you know event, And you start to realize no one person is bigger than anyone else. It takes every single one of us to make this and all of our time is important. And when you start thinking that your time is more important than someone else is, you've lost the plot. And so I vowed that if I ever, you know, became a producer, that I would make sure that everyone's time was respected and everyone understood that no one person is more important than anyone else.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I love that story because that impacts and when It starts at the top. You know, when you set the pace when you're on set, when you're producing something, or you're number one on the call sheet, you set the pace for everyone else.
Speaker 7: No, absolutely, but you have to be willing to. Like, you know, there was a there was a gig and studio that shall remain nameless. They didn't want to give this woman who has been nominated for Oscars multiple and executive producer credit, which she deserved. We all worked on this project, and they were like, this is good enough for her, and I said, well, it's not good enough for me. I'll give up mine. I didn't. I don't have what she has. I'm not bringing the same gravitas to this project. And you have to be able to take a stand. And if that means giving up some of your salary or giving up some of your producer fee, or just making sure that people are getting paid or they like the food, that is part of our responsibility. I do believe. I am my brother and sister's keeper. We all have to have that mentality.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about your daughter, Zaia, who was honored at the Out one hundred event last year for her trailblazing in the queer community. What does it feel like as a parent to watch your daughter be so fearless in advocating for rights, especially right now in this moment in time when there's so much oppression, hate, fill in the blank from this administration.
Speaker 7: It's scary. And I am in awe constantly of her bravery. But you know, I'm like you, you know, I'm pumped, you know, in the same way that we would cheer for, you know, our son Ziyyere's first dunk, I was like, oh, get them. The way she stands up for herself, and the way she fights just as hard as anyone else who's liberty, whose very existence, who's very humanity is at risk. She puts it all on the line. She has tenhos down and she does and back up, back off for anybody. It doesn't matter if you hold the highest seat in you know, in our country, or you're elon Musk or maybe those are interchangeable.
Speaker 8: She does.
Speaker 7: She she is about not only her liberation, but everyone's liberation. Because when you start to barter with whole communities and you let them in the door, they're in the house. They're coming for everybody. Did no one watch Handy steal. This is it's coming. So you have to fight. And she's a fighter, and so I'm proud I raised fighters and I'm happy about that.
Speaker 3: Well she has.
Speaker 5: She has an excellent example in you to look up to as a mama. So I'm so happy you're on. Congratulations on everything.
Speaker 3: Thank you for being.
Speaker 14: Gabrielle.
Speaker 5: You, me and everybody or anythink that's quite great.
Speaker 3: But we'll be right back after that.
Speaker 6: End of the day. Dogs is gonna help there. Pete hex Saith has welcome dogs to come in into the military. We have to start in the Pentagon. We need to make a tragone three sides instead of five sides in the Pentagon. It is way too big, way overbloated.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The.
Speaker 1: Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 7: Plus Paramount Podcasts