Speaker 1: Is holding onto the past, and nobody says, at the end of your life, what I really am happy I did all my life is hold on to my regrets.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Psychology Podcast. Today we welcome doctor Robert L. Lehey to the show. Doctor Leehe is the director of the American Institute for Cognitive Therapy NYC and clinical Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry at wild Cornell University Medical School. Doctor Leehee serves on a number of scientific committees for international conferences on cognitive behavioral therapy and is a frequent keynote speaker throughout the world. He has authored twenty seven books about CBT, depression, worry, anxiety, and emotion regulation, which have been translated in twenty languages. His latest book is called If Only Finding Freedom from Regrets. In this episode, I talked to doctor Leehey about finding freedom from regret. Regret is an un pleasant emotion that can motivate us to learn and grow, but there are times when it can keep us frozen in place. According to doctor Alihi, this is why it's important to make a distinction between productive and unproductive rumination. He shares the cognitive biases we have about loss and opportunity, as well as strategies on how to let go of regret when it no longer serves us. I really enjoyed chatting with Robert. He and I go way back, actually, and he's been on the podcast before, and his work has really influenced me even before I met him, and really deeply helped me overcome a lot of anxiety I was experiencing many years ago. So I find his work really impactful. And I found this discussion, which is an extension of his prior work to the realm of regret, really quite profound, and it had a really deep existential psychology flavor, which you all know I like. So I think you'll really enjoy this podcast as well, and I hope you find it useful for your own life and finding a life without living it with regret. So, without further ado, I bring you doctor Robert Lee. Hey, Robert, thanks so much for being on the Psychology Podcast.
Speaker 1: Scott, thanks for having me on again. It's great to see you.
Speaker 2: Great to see you too. Wow, lots changed in the world last time we talked. But do you have this new book called if Only Dot dot Dot Finding Freedom from Regrets? Why do you decide to write this book, like, when did the idea come to you?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's interesting Scott and me. I see patients every week, and many of the patients I've seen over the many years of practice express regret about things they did or did not do, or they anticipate if they make a change, they're going to have a lot of regrets. And so from a cognitive behavioral point of view, I was curious that didn't seem to be very much in the literature. So I decided to do a deep diving. I like writing books that are going to make me learn about things that I think are relevant to everyday life. So that's kind of where I came from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you right, Regret is an emotion that comes with living a full life. Yeah, you wrote that deep into your book. You wrote that sentence. Wow, I mean that's a powerful sentence. Why is that, I mean, why is that so important from living a full well?
Speaker 1: Because a full life includes mistakes and regrets are could be mistakes that we made or anticipate making. We're not going to be batting a thousand things are not going to turn out to be exactly what we want. In my view, no one's going to get exactly what they want of their terms in life. And so we have we have regrets because we make decisions to either make a change or not make a change, and then we're not always pleased with the outcome. And so it's it's you know, some some people say, oh, I don't have any regrets because I figure I made the decision myself. That's the very nature of regret. You made the decision. And if you don't have any regrets, how are you going to learn from your experience? You know, I view I view regrets as part of the trial and error learning of everyday life which we all go through.
Speaker 2: Well, your book is very unique because you bring this condition perspective to it and you bring it your life. You've had a lot of personal experience and practice on this. You also come from a background on helping people with anxiety. As I told you in your last podcast, your book on anxiety really helped me a lot in my life. A long time ago, when I was studying Cambridge University, I was seeing a therapist there. We're working through the book. Your work on anxiety has been very important and I see seeds, not seeds of it, I see threads of it in this book, you've applied some of those cognitive behavioral therapy ways of thinking into the realm of regrets. So that's unique.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of the regret literature is, you know, surveys about what people regret or you know, do we regret taking action to make a change or not taking action? And there's a lot of research in the cognitive literature and behavioral economics on regret, but in the clinical literature there's very little. And if you regret, when you think about regret as part of living a full life, you know, if you look at from an evolutionary point of view, you have to ask why any emotion evolved. I mean, why is jealousy a pretty universal emotion, or envy or resentment or the desire for revenge and regret is a universal emotion. It's like you're not going to find any culture that regret is not part of the experience. It's the second most commonly mentioned emotion, love being the first. So you have this ubiquitous emotion that people get hijacked by, and then you know, you need to understand what the logic is of regret, that there's a reason why people regret. They in fact, in one survey. They actually found that regret of the unpleasant emotions was rated the most valuable because people felt like, I can learn from it, I can make myself a better person. It's a way of being responsible. So it's kind of like it's you know, to say that I never regret, I'm kind of well, don't you learn from experience or don't you ever apologize to people for things that you've said? So it's part of I think, the wide range of sometimes unpleasant emotions that make sense and maybe adaptive if used in the right way. But then some people get hijacked by the regret and they just ruminate and become self critical and become frozen in their paths.
Speaker 2: And frozen in their past.
Speaker 1: In their path yeah right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but I'm saying and yes, and frozen in their past, well.
Speaker 1: Frozen in their past. Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: They can't seem to stop feeling like a loser for what they did twenty years ago, and it's still part of their self scheme as a loser. Now. I don't know who I'm thinking of there. Yeah, I don't know where that example came from, but yes, speaking for a friend, this.
Speaker 1: Friend of ours really has a lot of problems, you know, so.
Speaker 2: Some of what you're talking about actually dovetails nicely with the emerging field of post traumatic growth. Have you thought about that connection as well well, now that.
Speaker 1: You mentioned it. I mean, you can really see that, like like if you take the pandemic, you take the pandemic the last two and a half years and maybe the next year and a half or so that a lot of us had to go through incredible, incredible adaptation. So many people went through losses. Over a million people in the United States have died, but there's also growth that a lot of us could experience from that, you know, kind of prioritizing what's important. You know, is it important to have, you know, expensive clothes, or drive an expensive car, or climb the corporate ladder, or you know, press people, or is it important to stay alive and to appreciate kind of simple things in life and be flexible. And one of the things that I find with with with regret is that is that regret is often tied to these inflexible expectations about what my life must be. If you were flexible about the outcome of your decisions, and you you can look at outcomes in terms of what I call relative preferences, like you would you know, you would like one hundred percent, but you're willing to accept ninety percent seventy percent, You're going to be able to have a lot more satisfaction in life. And one of the things that we see with decision making and regret is that some people are what's called maximizers. They they want the absolute best. I have to have absolute best. That's me is that you, Scott, the absolute best?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I always want the best clothing and fashion. I'm joking.
Speaker 1: Look at me, Look at We got to do some stand up comedy, Scott, I do.
Speaker 2: Do you know what?
Speaker 1: I've got to see it? Put it on TikTok.
Speaker 2: That will never be I do.
Speaker 1: We have to do a shame exercise with you. But I think it's interesting is that these maximizers, this is the concept that Herbert Simon came up about sixty seventy years ago and got the Nobel Prize and economics, you know, the maximizer is looking for the absolute best. And the maximizer thinks, if I really try to get all the information and can do all the comparisons and demand the best, I won't have regrets. I'll be satisfied. And what the research shows is that the maximizers take longer to make decisions, and they're less satisfied with the outcome. And they're even less satisfied with the outcome even if the outcome is objectively better than an outcome that somebody who's a satisfier might might have chosen. So it's kind of like, you know, trying for the best leads often to more dissatisfaction and more regret and more procrastination.
Speaker 2: Boy, I'm so glad you mentioned and Herb Simon gave him credit because a lot of people talk about that, that wonderful framework maximizing for satisficing. Don't give Herb Simon that credit? Well, Jeopardy trivia. I was Herb Simon's last research assistant.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, before he does amazing. That's incredible.
Speaker 2: Instance was my first, one of my first big mentors in the field of psychology. And yeah, just a wonderful person and researcher. Yeah, okay, So does anticipating regret lead to you to action or inaction?
Speaker 1: So people often think about regret about decisions I made in the past and the outcomes in the past, but anticipating regret is a big part of of you know, regret theory. Actually, uh, it's that like people often will view making a change in terms of a loss frame. Like for example, somebody thinking about breaking up in a relationship, getting a divorce, or whatever it would be, they may often think about what I'm losing, which of course is always true. There are always trade offs right between staying and leaving. So people anticipating regretting their decision, there's kind of an inhibition of making a change because it's often viewed as a loss frame. And what we know from the research, and there's a lot of cross cultural research that people have done on this, that people anticipate making a change will lead to more regret in the short term, there is more regret that a person experience is making a change in the short term. In the long term, as people look back on their lives, people are more likely to regret what they did not do. They did not make the change, they did not pursue the other job, they do not break off the relationship or whatever. They regret what they did not do. And this is true in all cultures so that have been studied. So it's it's an interesting asymmetry, you know, because because we often we like we often think that if I make that change, I'll get stuck, and I think, I think this is where a lot of the interesting work and emotional theory that you're familiar with the affect of forecasting work that you know, people predicting their emotion like if I do this, like Dan Gilbert's work, if I do this, I'll I'll have regrets, and what they with Gilbert and Wilson and others have found that, you know, people anticipate far more regrets than they actually have. But we also tend to over predict how extreme our emotion will be, how happy will be, how unhappy will be. So if we get that new house, we're going to be really really happy forever, like a durability illusion. I'll be happy forever. If I move to Santa Monica, California, you know I'll be I'll be unhappy forever if I lose money in the market, or if I go through this breakup. And so when people make a decision really anticipate regret, they're often over predicting their emotions and they often over predict the impact, how serious and how durable, how extreme that emotion is going to be. And they don't consider the different ways that I can cope. So when I'm talking to somebody thinking about, you know, divorcing, you know, he talks about missing his children, which is understandable and kind of a good value, but doesn't give as much value to the idea of having fever conflicts with his partner and having new opportunities moving forward. So, you know, and you can imagine that if somebody stays and unhappy relationship for ten, fifteen, twenty years, they're beginning to build up a savings account of more regrets. So we often have to think about we have to think about ways that we can cope with making change, And I think this is where the work on resilience comes in. We often underestimate how resilient we are. You know, the work of George Bonano at Colombia. Oh yeah, and George's work indicates remarkably that it's like eighty eighty five percent of people going through what we might consider a major negative life event a year after or back to their pre event psychological will being so regret about anticipating regret. We often underestimate our resilience, and you know, it's kind of like a hedonic treadmill. We generally will eventually get used to what we have, whether it's good or bad.
Speaker 2: It is like the hedonic treadmill. And it's also seems to really to Daniel Gilbert's work on affective forecast.
Speaker 1: This is the kind of thing that I think in the clinical area of scott is so important to incorporate. You know, how we think about emotions, how we think about our emotions in the future, and because we often get anchored to an emotion and we look at the future through the lens of our current emotion. So one thing that I've been interested in for years is how depressed people make decisions, because it's like a depressive paradox. You would think, why would you continue criticizing yourself because that's not rewarding, or why would you continue avoiding things because you're not getting rewards. So it seemed like a paradox. I mean, it seem like the opposite of the law of effect. But what depressive avoidance is about is avoiding further loss. And it's kind of like, if you've gone from eighty percent positive to twenty percent positive, you're going to be hesitant to take the risk and make a change because if you lose that twenty positive that you have left, you're going to think that life is not worth living. So there's kind of a depressive you know. You know, depressed people are more prone to regret. They criticize themselves actually part of the bag depression inventory. They criticize themselves to anticipate more regret. They don't think that they can handle difficulties, they don't think that they're going to enjoy positives, and they think that they're going to suffer their losses more than enjoy their gains. So there's a logic to depressive avoidance and passivity.
Speaker 2: Has the research shown the causal direction there, which is the chicken, which is.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, that's something. It's more correlation. I've done some research on that over the years, and I know Darubius and other people have done some research on it. But it's it's an interesting thing because in therapy we're always trying to get patients to make decisions, right, You kind of wonder, why would this person who's depressed not want to make a change. You know, people are anxious, are afraid of surprise, they're afraid of delta, you know, they're afraid of Oh, don't get my hopes up too much, because then things don't work out, I'll be really traumatized by the surprise. And that's what they would regret.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting that so much of this really does pivot around the maximizing or satisfying distinction, Like the whole book kind of pivots around that. Because if you lower, if you don't really expect anything good out of your life, and everything that happens is even a little bit good, you're like, oh, that's nice.
Speaker 1: One of the things that that I discussed in the book is what I call, you know, existential perfectionism. I'm sure you've seen this both in LA and in New York. You know, we're kind of like the ground zero for existential perfectionism. Like my life has to be just great, my job has to be fulfilling all the time. Where I live, and my appearance and my partner and all that. It's kind of existing so like the Holy Grail myth, you know, you know, chasing after one of your guests recently talked about toxic positivity, which I love that concept, And you can see this existential perfectionism as part of regret. Oh, you know, my partner is not perfect my job is not perfect. I'm not perfect and all that. What I would love you to do is to go out and survey people you know well and find out which of them have perfect lives. And even if you want to go out and ask Bill Gates, is his life perfect? You know, going through a divorce and dealing with his kids and you know, so we kind of idealized celebrities and things on social media. You know. I had a patient a number of years ago who divorced guy about in his late fifties, and he was thinking, he was thinking about the woman he was dating, you know, their positive and negatives. He said, what's the key to a good relationship? And I said, you know, I used to do a lot of windsurfing, and I was down in Saint John and the Virgin Islands. I wanted to learn a by the windsurfing heavy waves and heavy heavy wind So I went to the other side of the island, Coral Bay, and this this guy, Mike, who is the windsurf hot dog on the island. So I said, Mike, what's the key to windsurfing and strong winds and heavy waves. He said, Bob, it's rock and roll and commit to the action. And I thought, and I said to this guy, I said, that's the key to a good relationship, rock and roll and commit to an action. So they put on the screensaver or a picture of a guy windsurfing and heavy winds. But it's kind of like, you know, you say, when you get married, you know, happily ever after, it should be for ups and downs ever after.
Speaker 2: There you go. Yeah, so it seems like a lot of people are looking for the free lunch. They're looking for the no tradeoff option. Are you saying that people should should stop that sur.
Speaker 1: If you're looking for the free lunch, you're going to starve.
Speaker 2: Get a little sassy over there, Sassy Robert.
Speaker 1: You know, it's all about you know, the free launch myth. It's all about trade offs. You know. It's kind of like like you know, kuk Guard said, if you get married, you regret it. If you don't marry, you regret it. I was talking with a patient number of years ago, a really good guy had sounded like a good relationship with this woman he knew for several years. They said, I don't know if I can get married because I you know, I have some ambivalence. And he equated ambivalence with I can't make a decision if I'm ambivalent. And of course the word decision in Latin actually means to cut away from something. So if you're making decision, by definition, you had ambivalence at the moment you made the decision. So decisions are all about decisions are all about trade offs. You know that looking for the perfect partner, he could spend an next thirty years, you know, and if he found somebody who thought was really good, he could then say, well, maybe there's somebody better. This kind of receding reference point, like these guys you know have an the fourth or fifth marriages or whatever, as opposed to thinking about the trade offs, the pros and cons. And I said, the reason that you're ambivalent is that you know each other. We often think about Romeo and Juliet as, oh, that's the kind of way you should feel if you make a lifelong commitment. Romeo and Julia is about a thirteen year old and a fifteen year old who see each other from the distance at a party with opposing families and fall in love based on absolutely nothing, and then within four or five days, several people were killed, including Romeo and Juliet, and some people during shakespeare time actually thought the point that he was trying to make was to make fun of this idealized romantic confatuation. Why not wait six months and get to know each other before you end up killing yourself. So it's the idea that there's a free lunch, there's no trade offs, the holy grail, the receding reference point, there's always somebody better. Now, there are like five or six billion people in the world. What's the likelihood that you have found the absolute best person in the world? Right? Zero?
Speaker 2: Thanks for all of your great romanticism today, Robert, I.
Speaker 1: Am a romantic.
Speaker 2: But what's the chances that your wife is really the best person for you? Probably zero?
Speaker 1: Now she is the best person for me. But there's the opportunity cost of searching. Right, So if people look for the next best option, there's a cost of searching, and you don't have the commitment. You spend a lot of time chasing down dead ends.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, that's what my friend tells me. Yeah, as it happens in the data. Yeah again the friend. But yeah, but there's positives there as well, like freedom and no commitment.
Speaker 1: Trade offs of being single yeah, there.
Speaker 2: Could be trade offs there. I really like this phrase action inertia. Is this a psychological principle that the longer you wait, the longer you want to wait for something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sort of the habit of not doing something, And it's kind of like when you practice a bad habit. I mean. One of the advantages of the avoidance this is the oj Mawer approach, an old Yale professor of psychology about you know, two factor learning that you think about making a change, but you, oh, no, that's going to be unpleasant. You avoid what you do. Your anxiety goes down when you avoid, and so you basically reinforce avoidance. So the inertia becomes the habit, and the inertia became I mean. One of the examples of this is the sunk cost effect, which I discussed in the book, which is that everybody knows what this is. You buy a jacket or a dress or whatever, and you take it, pay a lot of money, and take it home. Try it. I say, oh no, I'm not going to not meve today. That's not for me. I'll do it some other time. You put it in your closet and you have it in your closet for five years and then your partner says, why don't you get rid of that? And you haven't worn it five years. Oh no, I can't get rid of it. I paid good money for it. What you're doing is you're holding on to something because you had a prior investment in it. And you see people doing this with careers, with relationships with their you know, PCs or whatever it would be. I can't make a change because I put all this time in it. And I think part of it is the enaction inertia that you've kind of gotten used to staying. You have a loss frame. You think that change is going to be a loss. You have a fear of wasting. I mean one example I think of, like if I had one hundred dollars bill and I said, you know, Scott, I'd like burning money in front of people, and so I'm going to burn this one hundred dollars bill. I'll bet you would be You would probably think I'm a little crazy, and you'd be correct, but you might be a little bit angry with me. We don't like the idea of people burning money. You're not going to be worse off, and no one else would be worse off. But there's this kind of intrinsic fear of wasting that people have. And so if I get rid of something, if I put five years in a relationship or five years in a job or career or whatever or course of study and think, oh I wasted it. So it's very hard to walk away from a prior commitment.
Speaker 2: Well, what is the hindsight bias and how does that relate to this, because that's different than the sunk costs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. The hindsight bias is like, you know, it's like people discussing the baseball or football game on that was on Sunday. They discussed it on Monday and they knew everything was going to happen the way it was. Or you know, people like Bob Schuler at Yale got the Nobil price and economics looked at the hindsight bias. Almost everybody was saying after the market crashed in two thousand and eight, oh yeah, I knew it was so I got out right. Everybody got out of the market. Now they didn't. They lost trillions of dollars. So hindsight bias is that we reconstruct our knowledge about yesterday from what we know now and of course I'm really great at predicting what I had for dinner last night, right, but I'm not going to be good at predicting what the weather is going to be like next week. So hindsight bias is part of regret, is that, oh, I should have known that my partner was going to be an alcoholic, or I should have known that that investment would have failed. When you made the decision in the past, you made a decision based under conditions of uncertainty, with the information that was available, trying to make the best outcome. And there were other people made that decision.
Speaker 2: Well, that may be ent to the whole free will issue. The decision had already been made for you, going on way back to the big bang. You know, I try to link your work to lots of other areas of research, as you've seen today. Another one is I've wondered if you've thought about looking at to Kristin Neff's self compassion work at all, because what advice do you have for people who, let's say they did something genuinely terrible yeah, when they're younger, how can they still see themselves as a positive self concept in the present when they keep ruminating over the past. Can they is there hopefully? Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you know Paul Gilbert, who who originated compassion focused therapy as an old friend of mine, and you know the the idea of compassion bring up compassion in the book, you know, directing get toward ourselves or directing get toward other people. But I would have even expanded the compassion into the idea of self forgiveness and humility. You know, there's a concept that I find I found very useful with myself and with patients I work with, which I would call, you know, adaptive humility. Adaptive humility is that I'm just a human being. I'm no better than other people. I'm gonna make mistakes. I can learn from things I need to forgive others if I'm going to forgive myself all of this. You know some research on humility that shows that people who have this adaptive humility, I don't mean people who have low self esteem or don't asserta themselves and people have this adaptive humility kind of a humanizing universal compassion. These people have better marriages and better friendships. And it stays the reason I mean, if you're like, Okay, yeah, I'm a fallen angel just like my partner or my friend, and I can direct compassion towards myself. And compassion doesn't mean I get a free ride. Forgiveness doesn't mean I get a free ride. It means that, Okay, I realized I said something that was unfair or mean spirited or just plain long. But I want to become a better person, and this is an opportunity for me to learn from that. It's an opportunity for me to correct myself rather than criticize myself. The world's not going to be a better place if I hate myself, but it could be a better place if I practice compassion towards myself and others. Thinking about forgiveness as a strength that you have in life, you know, you know, you know. I'll give you an example of my own life. We were staying at a hotel recently, and the internet was not working. Was expensive place, and I was kind of irritated, and I was talking with the woman downstairs in charge. In my view, I was very rude to her. I mean not terribly, but I was. I was rude. And I came back to the room and I was talking with my wife and I was justifying myself, you know, well, you know, paying a lot of money. And then I thought, you know, if I were watching myself, I would have thought that guy's acting like a jerk. And I said, I don't want to be the kind of person that when I'm thinking about my behavior toward somebody who was innocent trying to do her job, you know, is being treated like in some kind of like some guy, you know, with a power assertion type thing. So I immediately called downstairs and I asked to speak with her, and I apologized, and she was actually quite gracious in accepting my apology, and I'm grateful for that. But the ability to kind of recognize it, you know, it was a really bad thing. Ideal. You shouldn't treat anybody that way. I would never want to be treated that way. This is adaptive humility. I'm not a saint, but it was an opportunity for me to to sort of say, yeah, that's a regret that I need to do something about that. I need to ask her to forgive me.
Speaker 2: Love that if that's the worst thing you've ever done in your whole life, though, I'd say you're a pretty good, okay good, pretty good person also gets into the distinction you make in your book that I love between productive and unproductive rumination. Right, I mean you're just being proactive about it. Well you say adaptive, Yeah, productive adaptive. Same shame.
Speaker 1: Shit.
Speaker 2: Let's have the audience learn how to step away from rumination. And I'm going to read some of my favorites from your book. Imagine that your rumination thought as a balloon you can let go. No, I love.
Speaker 1: That because you're creative.
Speaker 2: What I've used that with you can tell, you can tell them.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just guessing. I'm just guess. I can tell by the books on your shelf back there. It's interest because when I've used that with people have an artistic sentiment. They really really resonate to it. That's the one thing. Oh, I love the thought balloon. You know, that rumination or that worry or that regret. I'm holding onto that balloon and now I'm letting it go and I'm seeing it float in the sky. It's kind of like this visceral feeling of watching your worry go away. It doesn't definitely work like that, but it gives you this sort of like fluidity and imagery. And I bet you do a lot of visual imagery like when you when you think of recollect something. When I listen to music, I have visual imagery of things that occur.
Speaker 2: That one. You're right, letting go is the opposite of regret. So tell us a little bit about the letting go.
Speaker 1: Regret is being anchored to the past. And as one comedian said, the only reason to live in the past is the rent was cheaper. So but you know, it's it's an interesting thing because regret is holding onto the past, and nobody says at the end of their life, what I really am happy I did all my life is hold on to my regrets. You know, if you think about things that annoyed you in the past or that upset you in the past, very likely at the time you had this intense emotion, you thought this is going to go on forever. But today you hardly ever think of them and be asked, why do you no longer think about what you were worried about when you were at Cambridge University or living in London or whatever. Because you move past it, you put it in perspective, you pursued other positive goals. You're no longer held on to it. What are the goals in life? This is a technique that I've used with people, is the indifference technique. What would be the advantage of being indifferent to your regrets right as opposed to actually caring a lot about them and having to, you know, having to have a dialogue with your regrets and you know, having this voice in your head about what an idiot you are from making those mistakes. Become indifferent about the mistakes that I made, or things that happened in the past, or people treating me unfairly. You often think about indifference as like, you know, surrendering or being defeated, as opposed to rising above. And if you think about the image, because you're an imagery person, Scott, you think about the image just like one technique that I've used as thinking about yourself as you know, you're you're up in a in a balloon, a lighter than your balloon. You're up about you know, four thousand feet and you're looking down at these events. You know, you're up in the balcony looking down, and you know you're up in space looking down at the Earth. And so you get this sort of this sort of emotional distance, this perspective of letting go, and you've let go of almost everything because you let it go. You don't even realize you let it go.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, let it go. I like that, I really do like that. Here's another one of my favorite ones, flood yourself with the feared thought, the boredom technique. That one, by the way, that was I believe in your anxiety book, and that helped me out.
Speaker 1: It's kind of the ultimate indifference, isn't it. It's kind of like it's an exposure technique. It's like, you know, the boredom technique with regret could be yes, I made a stupid decision that I shouldn't have made. Boy, I said it just now, and all of a sudden, I'm feeling pretty bad. But what if you repeat it slowly like a zombie, two or three hundred times every day, I made a stupid mistake and I shouldn't have made it. You eventually become indifferent to it. It's like it becomes white noise. And people are often when I introduce the boredom technique, whether it's for worry or jealousy or envy or regret, whatever or resentment, they initially think, oh my god, that's going to make everything worse. You're asking me to really repeat my negative thoughts. But if I ask you to get on the elevator two hundred times, you might initially be anxious. But after the tenth time, you say, Bob, I think I got this. I think I understand that I know what exposure is. I don't need the extra one hundred and eighty exposure.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love it. Some comedians say that, you know, they would go in elevators and make terrible jokes and just get over the fear of rejection, get the fear of Yeah, just what they say. If you can get over the fear of rejection, you you got it me exactly.
Speaker 1: You know, Scott, When I was in college, I had a friend on that which is surprising that I had a friend, but I had a friend on the faculty. Really, I had a friend on the faculty, this guy Danny Daniels, who I was a philosopher. Anyway, So I was talking with Danny once and I said, you know, Danny, there's this guy who in my college who I think he doesn't like me, and I don't understand because I have so many different kinds of friends. And he said, you know, it's kind of my narcissism. Everybody should like me. No matter how likable you are, They're going to be a group of people somewhere in California or New York. You're going to hate your guts. So Danny said to me something that was really profound in my mind. He said, no matter what you do, they're going to be people who don't like you. And so one way of kind of an acceptance piece. No matter what you say, what you write, what lecture you give, or workshop you do, there are going to be some people who don't like it. It just comes with the territory. And the question is do you need everybody to like it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really good point. Do you need that for your own self esteem? Some people do.
Speaker 1: It's like the idea that somehow I need this is kind of a maximizing need for approval. On the other hand, if you can accept this is kind of like an ancient Aristotelian approach to virtue. If you act according to your values, to what you think is the right thing to do. If you act according to those values, that should direct you what you do and what you say, not the approval you get. So if you're if you're among a lot of racists. You know, you might get a lot of approval by making racist comments, but you're not acting according to your values.
Speaker 2: I hear you. Great point, Great point. I want to circle back to something I meant to ask you. I'm trying to reconcile the notion of let it go with I had Dan Pink on this podcast recently and he said the only ones who let go of regret are psychopaths or little children. I wanted to get your thoughts about that. Like it sounds like, on the one hand, you're saying like, well, actually, regret can be quite powerful in our lives, you know, can serve a useful function when it's productive, and the other hand, you're saying kind of let it go, like, don't even worry about regrets. So this is my little nuanced question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's a I have a whole chapter on guilt.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, you say guilt is unfinished. Forgiveness is what you say? Love that?
Speaker 1: So you know, gilt. It's an interesting thing because one of the ways I think we grow in character is by what I would call productive guilt. And again, you have to think why did guilt evolve? I mean, why is it every society has guilt and shame. I mean guilt and shame are emotions that maintain social cohesion. They maintain the tribe, they maintained the group, they maintain trust, and so absolutely people who are in Like if you were looking for a life partner and somebody said, you know, gee, I really like you, Scott, but I have to tell you I have no capacity for regret, shame or guilt, so can we pursue a lifelong relationship? You would want to run the other way?
Speaker 2: No, Well, what if they said I have no capacity for shame, guilt, and what was the third one? You said? Regret, regret, but I have capacity for love? Would I run the other way?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't believe them because I think the love, the love my wife, is to have capacity for being guilty, feeling guilty for something I've said that I think is wrong, and I think that that doesn't mean you feel stuck in the guilt. It's kind of like my experience with the concierge at the hotel that I felt guilty. I felt this is not the kind of person I want to be. I want to apologize, even if she doesn't forgive me. I want to do my part to try to make an effort to right the wrong. So I think the way thinking about regret is to have regret about the right things to the right degree in the right way, and very much like Aristotle's view of virtue. If we think about guilt, what we know is that people who are good at expressing the sincere apology are more likely to be trusted in the future, and people who other people in the work environment know are capable of guilt are viewed as more trustworthy in the work environment. So productive guilt is looking at your view and saying, is this the kind of person I want to be? What I feel okay if somebody treated me this way, and then trying to learn from that experience and make a change. In other words, this is the guilt is the first step, and the next step is self correction and growth and coming to terms with making yourself a better person if possible, making amends, making apologies if you can, and then ultimately forgiving yourself. That's not an example. That would not be an example of the balloon. That would be an example of bringing the balloon down and talking to the balloon and saying, you know something, I have to make an apology here.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, I really do love that that phrase guilt is unfinished forgetting.
Speaker 1: The guilt is regret on steroids too. It's like you're full of good quotes.
Speaker 2: You're like, let me give you an even better one. Well, let's end here today with the cheekiness where you talk about the eight habits of highly regretful people.
Speaker 1: A couple of.
Speaker 2: Things you say like well, dwell, and all the negatives that you experience and discount all the positives. Never accept great offs when considering a choice, and you need to know everything for sure before deciding. So let's just end on that cheeky noted so that just people can also just kind of laugh at themselves a little bit, because I think that people just take you know, maybe that's the maximizers that take themselves too seriously. Maybe this satisfizers have a little bit more of a sense of humor about the sort of inevitable and inevitable imperfections of being human.
Speaker 1: Right, if you take yourself too seriously, life is going to have a last laugh on you.
Speaker 2: So, oh my god, that's a great quote. Look at you.
Speaker 1: I should have been advertising, that's the psychology thing.
Speaker 2: Or Hallmark cards. Look I enjoyed so much shying with you today. I really appreciate you coming back in the show, and I'm glad that we get you on here periodically when you get new book.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I'm a big admirer of work and really appreciate what you've done. Why don't we dedicate this episode to the memory of Aaron Beck?
Speaker 1: Oh God, thank you? Yeah. Tim Beck.
Speaker 2: I think he's kind of a mutual friend of our hims.
Speaker 1: His birthday would have been a few days ago. Remarkable person. And uh so much of what I do, you know, is based on you know, the the inspiration and and the knowledge and simply the way of inquiring that Tim Beck you know, gave me, uh over the years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's dedicate this in his memory. And and you're always welcome back on the show.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you a funny anecdote before we leave. Yeah, so I was at a meeting at at Beck's apartment about I don't know, seven years ago, and he and he said, you know, uh, you know, the Dalai Lama contacted me and and because I'm not able to travel because he was in a wheelchair, Uh, the Dalai Lama said he would come and visit me. In Philadelphia, and he sat right in that chair right there, and uh and then and then Tim said, well, and his people said, the Dalai lama has a has requests about the what he wants. And it was like an extensive list of foods that he wanted, you know, soup and so in course, dessert and all that. And I said, well, he sounds like a very hungry lama, doesn't it. He does have a great sense of you know, this is kind of a gratitude thing about, you know, looking back on your life and having access to memories of people who may be gone that we learned from and we loved. And I think that's that's part of that's the kind of part and that some people say live in the present moment. I think, try to live in all the moments in your life. Try to try to gain from. I grew up very poor, and I never want to forget growing up poor because it allows me to appreciate what I have. It allows me to understand other people are struggling. So it's it's good to be connected to people who gave you a lot who are no longer here.
Speaker 2: Let's leave on that note. Thank you so much for being on the show just very extraordinary attribution to the field of psychology.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to this episode of The Psychology Podcast. If you'd like to react in some way to something you heard, I encourage you to join in the discussion at thusychology podcast dot com 'or on our YouTube page The Psychology Podcast. We also put up some videos of some episodes on our YouTube page as well, so you'll want to check that out. Thanks for being such a great supporter of the show, and tune in next time for more on the mind, brain, behavior, and creativity.