Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I am Joe McCormick. And on today's episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, our month long celebration of Halloween continues. Now, if you've been a listener for a while, you know what's going on. You know what we do every October. But if you are new to the show, here's the deal. Every October we devote all of our core episodes, our Tuesday and Thursday episodes to seasonally creepy subject matter things about ghosts, monsters, devils, curses, horrors, and frights. So last week we talked all about spooky trains, about locomotive horror stories, ghost trains, and the phenomenon of the Victorian railway madness. Today, we are beginning a new series on the demons and monsters of ancient Mesopotamian religion because they had some really exquisite demons, and as a concrete example to kick things off today, I wanted to start by talking about a specific ancient artifact. For my money, one of the creepiest looking artifacts from all of antiquity, and that is a mask of Humbaba.
Speaker 2: Ah Mbaba is an old friend of the show. We've talked about Humbaba, not stuff to blow your mind before.
Speaker 3: One of my favorites. Definitely, Humbaba came up in our series on the origins of the religious imagery of the Halo, because Humbaba, as described in the Epic of Gilgamesh, famously has these seven auras or radiances that are kind of like an evil halo. But first I want to talk specifically about this artifact, and then we can talk a bit more about Humbaba as an idea. So this artifact is a baked clay disc picting a hideous face. It's roughly three point three inches in height and in width, and it was produced during the Old Babylonian period between about eighteen hundred and sixteen hundred BCE. It was excavated by the nineteenth century Assyrian archaeologist Hormuz Ressam from the site of the ancient Babylonian city of Sipper, which is on the eastern bank of the Euphrates River in modern day Iraq. Today, this artifact is held in the collection of the British Museum. Now, this sculpture is absolutely worth looking up if you are able, but if not, I'm gonna do my best to describe it. The mask shows a humanoid face frozen in a pitiless grimace. It's got the teeth clenched. The head is rounded in shape with bulges in the outline of the head where the ears would be, and it has wide, blank, empty gray eyes. Now, I know, in some cases these ancient Mesopotamians stay statues and sculptures would have been painted, and the paint has simply weathered away over the years, which is the reason some of these ancient statues have such unsettling blank eyes, just these empty, cloudy pools of stone with no pupil or iris. I don't know if that's the case with this clay sculpture or if this is the way it was always intended to look. Either way, the state in which it has arrived to us in modernity is extremely unsettling looking. But I think the most interesting detail about it I haven't gotten to yet, and that is the texture of the flesh. The entire surface of this monstrous face is molded with a pattern like a labyrinth, so it's you have a long, single thick line like a rope folded over and over upon itself to form every part of this head, the hair, the forehead, the ears, the nose, the cheeks, and the double rows of clenched killer teeth. I think you can even see where the coil is supposed to be at its midpoint, you know where it folds over on itself. It's at the left side of the mouth, where the jaws open. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is very unsettling looking, and if I were to compare it to anything, it makes me think of the character prune Face from the nineteen ninety Dick Tracy movie. Yeah, it's like that level of like wrinkliness, but then with this also this vicious grin, this growling toothy mouth. So yeah, it's pretty intimidating.
Speaker 3: But I think at least prune Face had pupils in his.
Speaker 2: Eyes somewhere in there. It was heavily littered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the name implies, Okay, so Humbaba or huahwah. These are different, and this will come up throughout the series. Most of these entities we're going to be talking about have multiple names from different languages and stages in their cultural evolution. So this character is known as Huawa in Sumerian sources and Humbaba in Akkadian sources. I'm going to be calling him Humbaba.
Speaker 2: The other side of the coin is that there are best practices for pronouncing a lot of these words and these names, so we can we can certainly get them wrong. But on the other hand, we can't, without any degree of failure, get it one hundred percent right, because nobody knows one hundred percent exactly how any of these given words or names were pronounced in the ancient world in their original setting.
Speaker 3: Very good point, Rob, We will be doing our best with all of these ancient Mesopotamian words and names. We will undoubtedly get some of them wrong in ways that will be detectable to people who specialize in these ancient languages. But yeah, to some extent, we don't fully know how everything was pronounced in every case.
Speaker 2: And you know, probably better that we don't hit it dead on because we don't want to summon any of these entities. Many of them have been as sleep for a very long time. We don't want to invite them into our modern world.
Speaker 3: Well, it's often the case in these mythologies that you might have a dead god that isn't really dead forever.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, The other thing that we risk is if we chance on a mispronunciation of one of their names that just hasn't been done before, we might chance upon the original pronunciation that therefore summons them into the modern world. That's like even the experts haven't been saying one hundred percent right, we could air into the summoning space.
Speaker 3: I can't even think about that, okay. So Baba or Huahbah is a character who features prominently in ancient Mesopotamian literature, most famously in the different versions of the Epic of Gilgamesh. As I said earlier, we talked about him at some length in that series on the iconography of the Halo, because whom Baba is described as having these seven terrifying auras, these strange layers of deadly radiance that are taken off one by one before he is eventually killed by Gilgamesh and Gilgamesh's companion in Kidu. In Gilgamesh, Humbaba is described as a giant, terrifying humanoid creature assigned by the god in Leal, the lord of Winds, to be the guardian of the Cedar forest, and, according to the Stephanie Dally translation of Gilgamesh, This is in Tablet two. Humbaba is meant to be quote the terror of the people, Humbaba, whose shout is the flood weapon, whose utterance is fire, and whose breath is death. And we're told that Humbaba can hear a rustling of branches in his forest from sixty leagues away. So who would dare walk inside the forbidden pines? Now, even though we've talked about Humbaba before, I do think we probably want to come back and talk about him some more. We might get into some more depth in part two of this series, but specifically in the context of this clay mask from ancient Sipper, there is a question about the way that it looks. What is the deal with the labyrinthine design on the face is? Why is it represented as a horrific face with these deep wrinkles. The prune face look and the wrinkles seem to be formed out of a folded rope. There is an answer to this. We know conclusively why it looks that way. The rope that makes the face is not a rope. There is a cuneiform inscription on the reverse side of the mask which tells us this inscription is written by the hand of Warad Marduk, a diviner, son of Kubarum, also a diviner. And what the diviner says is, according to the British Museum's translation quote, if the coils of the colon resemble the head of Huawa. This is an omen of Sargon who ruled the land. Oh man, oh yeah. And then there's a part with some text missing, but it says if and then there's an illision, the house of a man will expand, so it's saying the coils of a colon. This horrifying mask is supposed to represent the piled up intestines of a slaughtered animal, which have been used in tons of cultures all throughout history as a stimulus for divination, meaning that a diviner could read signs of the future and gain access to privileged information by looking at the guts of a slaughtered animal, sometimes at the liver as well, or sometimes the intestines. In this case, I believe the animal is supposed to be a sheep, but you know, in various usages you would get different animals, might be a sheep or a goat, or an ox or so forth. In this particular case, the inscription suggests that if the diviner sees entrails that coil to represent the face of Humbaba. This is an omen of maybe successful conquest or expanding power, or the expansion of one's house. So according to a book we were both consulting called Gods, Demons and Symbols of Ancient Mesopotamia and Illustrated Dictionary. This is by a couple of scholars named Jeremy Black and Anthony Green, British Museum Press, nineteen ninety two. According to this book, the face of Huawa seen by a diviner typically means revolution in the state, which I guess doesn't sound so great if you are currently the king. And a lot of times these divinations would be given to a powerful person, recorded as given to a powerful person such as a king. But the authors also suggest there some evidence that clay masks representing the face of Humbaba were hung up on walls, maybe in palaces and temples as charms to ward off evil. So as terrifying as this kind of face looks, masks like this may have been thought to have the power to ward off evil rather than bring it, which is what we today call apotropaic magic, protective or warding off magic.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and we'll get into at least one other key example of this as we proceed through this episode.
Speaker 3: Now, like I said, we may have to come back to Humbaba later in this series, but I also think we should near the beginning of the series definitely acknowledge the ancient Mesopotamian supernatural entity that will be most recognizable to fans of modern horror movies because of his appearance in The Exorcist, and that is the demon Pazuzu.
Speaker 2: That's right, Bazuzu cast a long shadow over modern horror cinema and horror fiction. Also just really stands out the iconography of this particular demon because it features a pair of wings that in silhouette kind of look like an X behind a humanoid body, has like a horned dog like head, very fierce eyes and face, and yeah, works great in silhouette and is used not only in The Exorcist that we mentioned this on Weird House Cinema, but the when we did an episode on Ridley Scott's Legend. The same statue also shows up two different times in the movie Legend, just in the background or in the foreground.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's funny. And the Exorcist was already out at that point. That's the funny thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think Pazzuzu got representation, and it was either like, let's get some more gigs, Let's get some more projects. I want to work with Ridley Scott.
Speaker 3: Now, later we will get to the question of whether these cinematic portrayals accurately captured the spirit of Pazuzu. Maybe they partially do, and maybe there's some ways they don't. They don't get it quite right, but at least within the story of The Exorcist, Pazzuzu is the name given to a demon that possesses and torments the twelve year old Reagan McNeil. And this is the story in the original nineteen seventy one novel by William Peter Blattie, and it's carried over into the nineteen seventy three film adaptation directed by William Friedkin. Though in the original novel and movie, the demon does not run around saying I am Pazzuzu. You get more of that in like The Exorcist to the Heretic, I think, which is, you know, there's a kind of downgrading of some of the subtleties of the original in that, but the connection with Pazuzu is established primarily through a prologue in the film in which the Catholic priest Lancaster Marrin is This is the character who ultimately leads and performs the exorcism rights in the third act of the movie, he's working at an archaeological dig in Iraq, and in multiple contexts you see him encounter a state of a frightening, monstrous creature from ancient times. And one thing I always liked about The Exorcist is that the meaning of this confrontation is never made too explicit, so it doesn't get corny. We don't get Maren facing off against it at the beginning and saying, you know, giving some monologue like you are evil, Pazuzu, I must defeat you. You know that you don't get a direct address till towards the end of the film. Instead, there is just this vague, powerful sense of dread that the entity depicted in these ancient artworks is somehow present now and is powerful, and its shadow has somehow fallen over our lives now. Of course, while I love The Exorcist, you know it's a great horror movie. In the modern world, you shouldn't go to the Exorcist to understand what an entity like Pazuzu originally was and originally meant. In The Exorcist, Pazuzu is rendered as a demon in the modern Christians sense of the word, meaning a malevolent spirit, a minion of Satan which can possess the bodies of innocent humans and use them to Satanic ends. So this is a Christian demon, specifically a demon as imagined by a twentieth century Catholic author. But this leads to the question, what was Pazuzu in his original time and place. Does it make sense to call him a demon? And if it does, should we at least modify our understanding of the English word demon a little bit for the purpose of the discussion, Maybe a little bit less the Catholic William Peter Bladdie demon and maybe more a demon in the broader Greek sense of the term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a This is a very important question to ask before we proceed into any more detailed discussion on these various demons. Yeah, what is a demon? We certainly it's one of those terms that you just throw it out there and it's going to summon various images and ideas. You might, for instance, think of the ball rog and various chaotic evil denizens of the Abyss from dungeons and dragons, and of course these are all based on entities from other you know, faiths and traditions and so forth. You might also well think of the name of various names from Christian demonology, particularly those that crossed over out of theology and into popular culture for everything from horror movies to rock music. And again many of these given names, Many of these entities were appropriated from other cultures and faiths, some transformed into Christian demons, and in their original context were considered gods or some other spiritual entities. And yet at the same time, even in discussing mythic, legendary and folkloric entities, either casually or even from like from the level of scholarship and academia, the word demon is often used instantly provides a starting point from which to potentially understand perhaps a foreign concept or a creature or entity in another tradition you know. And you see this with other words as well, like you'll frequently if you're reading about, say, Chinese mythology and Chinese legend and law, you might read about goblins or trolls. You might read about ogres in Japanese lore and so forth. You know, there's certain types of monsters, types of figures, types of imaginary beings that seem largely universal, and when you get into the particulars, yes, things change a bit, but in general you can often safely say, well, this is a demon from this particular faith. There's still a lot of room for error, and there is a lot of error out there when you look into especially like historic understandings of some of these entities. So yeah, we can throw out the word demon, and we can strike close to the truth. We can strike close to perhaps the original intended meaning here. And as such we can loosely think of demons as as the following evil supernatural spirits or beings of some sort that were never human, are not mortal, and yet exist beneath the status of gods and sometimes demi gods. They are often conceived as punishers in the afterlife, though they're also frequently seen as spreaders of sin, disease, death, and temptation in the world of the living. In Christian traditions, they are often described as fallen angels, followers of the rebel angel Lucifer now Satan, the ruler of Hell, and in other traditions they may seem at times more part of a cosmic order than agents in rebellion against said order. But even then you'll still find room in such tradition systems for a notion of something that is seen as an agent of misfortune or temptation out there working in the world, something that is an enemy of mortal men and may be working outside of the graces of the divine. Now, the word itself in English demon derives from the Greek demos, which could be benevolent or malevolent. Like in the Greek tradition, this could be a good supernatural being or a bad supernatural being. Just because it was demos, just because it was a demon in this context doesn't mean it's necessarily evil and out to get you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can interpret it as like a spirit.
Speaker 2: Now, turning to more specifically to the ancient Mesopotamian world, one of the books that we look to here was a book titled God's Demons and Symbols of Ancient Mesopotamia, an Illustrated Dictionary. This was originally published in nineteen ninety two and the authors here are Jeremy Black and Anthony Green, and illustrated by Tessa Rickards. The authors here point out that the word demon works as an a is an approximate translation of a couple of different terms that refer to both good and evil spirits, so very much in the Greek sense of the word demon. These terms are in Akkadian rabisu and in Sumerian moscin, both of which again can refer to good and or evil spirits. I've also seen more head on translations that define the rabisu as lurker and moscum as deputy or attorney. The authors point out that during the Neo Assyrian period, roughly what nine twelve through six O nine BCE, there were spells that basically said evil rabisu, please see yourself out. Good Rubisu come on in. So you'd see a lot of this sort of thing, like you want the good demons, you don't want the bad demons, but you're not just like no demons allowed, Like yes, of course the good demons can come in.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Black and Green's book includes a one tablet that's sort of a figuring mating clay from the Neo Assyrian period. They say it's probably from the seventh century BCE that depicts a god named Ilamu, which means Harry. And if you look at the tablet, yeah, he's got like real like hair coming out. It almost looks like Medusa, the locks of hair coming out like snakeheads. But yeah, he's a hairy guy. And written on his arms, so the canea form is actually like spanning, it's going running down the length of his biceps, his arm. One arm says get out, evil demon, and the other one says, come in, good demon. And I was actually reading in another book, a book called Religion in Ancient Mesopotamia by the French historian Jean Botero. This is translated by Teresa Lavender Fagan, and Boto argues that there really was no word in any of the ancient Mesopotamian languages that meant specifically demon in the way we use it, like specifically categorizing the class of evil harmful spirits. Instead, these evil harmful spirits would be referred to sort of by their individual names rather than as a class of types of beings. And as far as classes of beings, you would just have this larger like, yeah, you got spirits and they could be good or bad.
Speaker 2: Now, the Rubisu mentioned how sometimes translated as lurker, and it does seem to lurk. It sort of haunts, it lingers around an affected individual.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Black and Green also stressed that in modern studies of ancient Mesopotamian art and iconography, Again this is a book from ninety two, so acknowledging that there could potentially be some shift here, but this seems to still be the case based on even far more recent papers dealing with specific entities. But they stress that the term demon is generally applied to any entity that is an upright human body and also has like hybrid creature elements, while full on animal combinations or something like on all fours, those are considered monsters. So, for instance, across between a lion and a duck, that would be a monster. A cross between a lion, duck and a human like where it's more or less humanoid shape, that would be a demon.
Speaker 3: Yeah. From what I gather, the really rough way of thinking about it is that if it's bipedal, it's usually a demon, and if it's on all fours, it's probably a monster. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, they stress that demons are actually rare in ancient Mesopotamia, mythology and the names. Certainly, this is the case with name demons. The names we know are mostly via they're mention in various spells, and in many cases we have little information regarding their nature or appearance, certainly as far as evil demons and evil gods are concerned. And this might be because it was just considered inappropriate to depict some of them under most circumstances. Though, as we've discussed already and will continue to discuss, there are cases where you really want to show that horrid face in full detail, otherwise it might endanger you to create their image. You know, you don't want to. You don't want to summon the demon into your presence, even if you were discussing it or ultimately using it to ward off something else. But also it seems like sometimes you need an image of the demon if you are trying to ward it off. So I guess it comes down to the basic idea that visual depictions and symbolic depictions of these entities is powerful, and it can be powerful in a way that helps deter them, or it can be powerful in a way that attracts them. But they write that quote in some cases, descriptions of their appearances are so vague and inconsistent as to suggest they were not well established. So that's the other side of the coin. It just might be well, it's not really you know, there's not really a canon for how this particular entity looked or even how it behaved. You know, we might think about in our own like pop culture world, in our own like urban legend world, you have a general idea what I mean, you have a very clear idea what some entities look like. Like Jason Vorhees. Yeah, you know what he looks like. You've seen it in various films. There's shifts and how he's depicted, but there's there are a number of elements that need to be in place. Meanwhile, something like I don't know Bloody Mary, it seems a bit more vague, like I don't know if there's a particular canon as to how she is supposed to look.
Speaker 3: This I thought was really interesting, and this makes me think we should actually come back sometime into a whole Halloween series on. Yeah, what you could call like canonically bounded versus unbounded monsters, Monsters that have a very tight, canonically set description and those that are extremely vague and in the case of the ones that are vague, where does the horror come from? Because you know, when a monster is, like say, represented in a movie, you know what that movie representation looks like and you can picture it. But when there's a monster that is you don't even get a very clear physical description. Where is the horror based? What is it you're imagining?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, and I should probably draw in an example that doesn't originate in a visual medium. I think if I think back on entities, unreal entities that I had varying degrees of fear of as a child, well, I can think of the Boogieyman, and I can think of gray aliens like the kind that you know are going to potentially kidnap you and probe you and so forth, And there's more of a definite idea of what a gray looks like, whereas the Boogieman, Yes, there are I mean, the big Boogeyman is sometimes depicted in certain ways, like I remember there being a way that the real Ghostbuster's cartoon depicted the Boogieman. But for the most part, the Boogeyman is up for grabs. There's no definite way that it looks, but the fear of it. Certainly when you're young can still be palpable.
Speaker 3: Oh lord, I just looked up the Real Ghostbusters boogieman. It looks why is it wearing a tuxedo?
Speaker 2: I remember that being a pretty wild episode. There were some episodes of The Real Ghostbusters that went pretty hard.
Speaker 3: It looks like a pale rock and roll grimlin with a disproportionately huge face, wearing lots of lipstick, with sharp teeth, big long nose, purple punk haircut, and a tuxedo coat with long tails. So it's dressed for a formal dinner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a bad dude, all right. So anyway, the main point here is that, yeah, some of these creatures would have been perhaps unbounded, you know, and we would have been vague and inconsistent, but others became extremely important in ancient Mesopotamian mythology and in religious practice. And we have at least one case of a sort of demonic face turn, of an evil entity becoming if not good, at least useful for our protection. And you know, I guess this under the line is an important reality that we have discussed in the past and the show, and that is that religion and belief transform and evolve. Over time, New ideas emerge, foreign ideas enter into a different region or a different belief system. Things change, and it impacts the exact form and function of various fantastic entities and creatures, sometimes utterly transforming them. And this is especially the case here today because we're ultimately considering the passage of thousands of years here, and we're not only talking about like subtle changes in belief or Okay, well, this god becomes a little more popular, this demon becomes a little more popular. Sometimes we're talking about the emergence of groundbreaking new concepts and how people considered their place in the cosmos and the structure and function of the unseen world. Now. Black and Green proposed a simplified five phase chronology for the development of gods and demons in ancient Mesopotamia. And I'm going to roll through it here real quick, because I feel like it's you may get lost in some of the dates here and the different periods, but I think the overall flow is important, all right. So first up is the formative phase.
Speaker 3: They write it.
Speaker 2: During the late Ubaid and Uru periods, very roughly in the neighborhood of the fourth millennium BCE, we have the earliest composite beings envisioned, combining various elements of different animals. Up next the optimistic phase. This would have been during the Acadian period around let's say two twenty three thirty four through twenty one to fifty four BCE, and this is when we have galyptic scenes depicting the capture and punishment, the busting, if you will, of evil demons.
Speaker 3: Makes me feel good, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then we have the balanced phase during the Old Babylonian period eighteen ninety four BCE through fifteen ninety five BCE, and we have cylinder and seal designs that often mixed images with good and bad associations. So that's the balance. It's like, you know, the good entities the bad entities finding balance. Then we have the transformative phase during the fourteenth through eleventh centuries BCE. The human centric imagery of the Old Babylonian period gives way to mostly animal headed hybrids. And then finally we get the demonic phase. And as the name implies, this is the period during which quote individual evil demons were depicted in their full horror in Neo Assyrian and neo Babylonian art. And it's interesting too that they point out that this demonic phase lines up with the emergence of a new first millennium BCE theological model, that of a demonically populated hell. This is of course key, the key theological invention because it foreshadows, you know, the medieval Christian image of a demonic afterlife. It also mirrors the various hell realms of Buddhism and Hinduism, and it essentially like adds this entirely different realm to one's understanding of the unseen world.
Speaker 3: That's right. I mean a lot of modern Christians might not remember this, but say, in the Hebrew Bible, you don't get depictions of a demonically populated hell with tortures for the damned. That's not there that emerges in early Christian theology.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I mean, for my money, you can throw it out right now. You don't have to keep it if you got it now. One question that the author's raise here is what made this vision of the afterlife different from that of say, ancient Egyptians. We've talked on the show before about the robust vision of the afterlife that was modeled in an Egyptian belief the idea that the afterlife is certainly a realm of danger. It is not a you know, it's not a just one big heavenly celebration. There are a lot of dangers and entities out there, but it's also a realm of great possibility. So a person of means and power and magical ability could potentially translate all of that over into their next life in the field of reeds.
Speaker 3: That's right. So even among ancient cultures that had a religious idea of an afterlife, of some sort of place you go after death, there's a lot of diversity in what that afterlife looks like and what you do there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, I think there's probably still a lot of room to get into the nuances of either broad regional religious traditions. But Black and Green contend that in general we see a strong sense of Mesopotamian pessimism in regards to the afterlife. According to Black and Green, the region in general at this time was one of agriculture and clay, but little else in abundance, certainly for the common denizen of this region. So almost every aspect of life they write was likely quite harsh compared to ancient Egypt, and this colored an equally harsh view of the afterlife. So immortality that's for the gods. Mortal man, however, is just doomed to die, passing on only into a shadowy realm, where in Sumerian traditions, the shades of the dead consume only the ashes, and in a serio Babylonian traditions, the grim afterlife is the domain of demons and monsters black and green. Right that Eventually traditions and belief systems developed by which you can affect your arrival and status in the afterlife or that of a loved one via proper burial. But earlier on it was probably either based around a cult of the dead, via which you might you know, communicate with deceased family members, or it was just a means of preventing their spirits from haunting you after they've died. But yeah, especially early on, there's not this sense that, oh, we need to talk to Grandma or communicate with Grandma, or have offerings for Grandma to make sure she's doing okay. Like, no, there's not really any doing okay in this afterlife. It's a world of ash and shadow. But we don't want Grandma to come back from the realm of ash and shadow and start haunting us. Things are bad enough here, we don't need her here as well.
Speaker 3: But at some point you get the idea of, well, maybe we could send some food, send some care packages to Grandma in the afterlife and that might help a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, So so again we enter this demonic period. We suddenly have this idea of afterlife where are there may be demons everywhere? And it also comes around the same time as new practices such as erecting statues and reliefs of magically protective beings in palaces and in temples, as well as burying clay images of such entities in building foundations to protect that building and its occupants against demons and disease. They're right, quote diverse and cultural background and original significance. The various gods, demons and monsters involved were brought together into a fairly restricted visual series of this time, and for the first time they came to be treated as a group in mythological narratives. So you know, demonic avengers assembled.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 2: Now most of the demons from this period of ancient Mesopotamian belief they still in their punishment of mortals and their spreading of disease and death. They were mostly still doing it at the behest of the greater gods, so you can think of them as being still part of the system, you know, like that. You don't like what they're doing, but they have some right to do it. And maybe the ultimate blame lies in how I'm living my life or what I'm not doing to protect against their offenses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did I do something to be taken by the grip of this demon? And that grip is usually a disease of some kind.
Speaker 2: Right, But there do sing to be exceptions to the rule, and one exception in particular, and it may be due to the fact that some acts of demons and some events in life are just too horrific to be attributed to the gods. And that brings us to the entity known as La mache To. So I've looked up lamache To in one of my favorite sources for entities like this, spirits, fairies, Lepricaus, and Goblins and Encyclopedia by folklorist Carol Rose, and she describes lamache To as the Babylonian demoness of disease and describes depictions as often being that of a woman stripped to the waist suckling a pig and a dog, with a comb and a spinning worl in each hand, representing the gendered tasks of wife and mother, these being the core targets of her wrath because she is a demon that attacks pregnant women and new mothers, bringing death and disease, particularly to infants. She is a daughter of the sky god, but according to Black and Green, she seems to be operating she's seldom to be operating outside of the domain of the gods, so she's not doing evil because she has been ordered to. She's doing it for her own purposes, perhaps for her own delight, like she's just pure chaotic evil, I guess. Black and Green likewise describe her based on depictions as a humanoid creature with the head of a lion, teeth of a donkey, naked human breasts, a hairy body, blood stained hands, long fingers and nails, and taloned bird like feet. Her animal she has like a siventure animal, and she rides this animal. It is the donkey, and she sometimes holds a snake in each hand as well, and she also has a boat to travel through the underworld. She's also sometimes depicted with donkey ears, as are other entities in Mesopotamian myth and it's less scary it does it does to us outsiders, and apparently this has caused various translations to change donkey ears to lion ears when when this entity has been taken into other cultures and regions. But the authors suspect that at the time and to the target audience, it was seen as a fitting animal to invoke with such a demon, as the wild donkey was held to be swift footed. So I guess in the regional context, like what is like the fastest animal to traverse a rough terrain, it would perhaps be the wild donkey, and therefore it is a fitting creature for a swift demon to ride in iconography.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now I can see how some of our associations with various domestic animals, like whether they could be conceived as scary or not, that could be purely cultural. Because remember we did the series about why the goat is associated with demons. I can imagine a culture where that is not a common association, thinking like, what what's scary about a goat? A goat because it.
Speaker 2: Met goats, like they can be real sweet.
Speaker 3: Goats can be cute. Oh yeah, so I think you can imagine a similar thing going on with the donkey ears there that like, donkey's not scary to us because we just don't have the right history of cultural association.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might even be able to get into like what sounds are considered funny in English, you know, like the like sounds are often funny donkey, monkey clown, you know, And you're gonna have a different set of linguistic values in a different language and of course in a different time, different region and so forth, as well as other factors. So again we're talking about La mache too, not to be confused with La Masu. Lamasu is a benevolent demon often depicted as you know, a winged lion or bull with a human head. But no, La mache Too is a being of intense darkness and one that again is seeming to act independently of the gods, flicks harm on mortals for her own purposes. It's not part of a divinely orchestrated punishment system, and so we attribute to her cases of miscarriage, cases of infant mortality related illnesses that may be affecting pregnant women or new mothers, and it's said that what is happening is that she'll slip into a woman's room at night, a pregnant woman's room, and touch her stomach seven times to kill the child inside her other times and another telling she just straight up like steals children in the night. And she is also sometimes depicted as bringing disease to men as well, So she is I guess equal an equal opportunity offender in that department. So she is an enemy to all mortals, and she is an enemy most vitally to not only our generation but the next generation, like she is like a dire threat to the enterprise of humanity.
Speaker 3: So feelings about the Donkey years aside a truly horrifying being.
Speaker 2: Yes, now what are you gonna do? How are you going to fight an evil like that? Well, this is where we come back to Pazuzu.
Speaker 3: Pazuzu our old friend.
Speaker 2: Yes, perhaps the most well known ancient Mesopotamian demon of our age due to its invocation in horror cinema, in horror literature, and horror imagery. Pazuzu was an Assyrian in Babylonian demon or demonic god of the first millennium BCE. Again, you're probably familiar with this striking profile, a humanoid entity wing it in such a way as to create a sort of X shape. It could almost look like he has four wings, though I think we're perhaps to see this as the upper and lower parts of two wings, but again it kind of creates this X shape behind him. Yeah, he has a dog like face, taloned feet, bulging eyes, scaly body, and if you look closely, there's also a snake headed penis there. He generally has the right hand held up as if you know, in pledging something, and the left hand is down, and sometimes there's a scorpion's tail as well.
Speaker 3: So Pazusu is.
Speaker 2: Kind of an enigma here because on one hand, he was definitely held up to be a malevolent demon of the underworld. You know he is. He is not your friend, but he also comes to serve as a potent protector, invoked in amulants to protect women against the evil of lamashe tou. He has often depicted driving her and her donkey steed back into the underworld, and these images might be displayed in the home as a part of a protective plaque, and then you also have amulets of Pazuzu's head that could be worn, it seems, by pregnant women. So you would actually wear the horrific like dog like uh, you know, gorgon face of the zuzu on your body to keep lamash Tou from get close to you and reaching out to you and touching you seven times with their awful hand.
Speaker 3: That is interesting in a very different kind of association than we get in The Exorcist.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And in a sense, I feel like the Exorcist does Bazuzu dirty, where Bazuzu is just an absolute enemy of law and order in humanity, where in reality, I think he's he's more in between. He's more of a tweener, you know, he's he's not a complete heel, he's not a complete face, but he's you know, kind of doing like a semi face turn here. I you know, I I inevitably came back to the quote from Dame Judy Dinch and the Chronicles of Riddick. You know, she says, in normal times, evil would be fought by good, but in times like these, well it should be fought by another kind of evil.
Speaker 3: Oh what's good? For the necromonger is good for thelmashe tou.
Speaker 2: Now, Bazuzu also protects against pestilential wins so winds carrying pestilence because he is. And I was shooting about looking at a number of different sources that dealt more specifically with Bazuzu, and one I looked at is a paper by Maraja Todorovska. It's titled Demonic, Hybrididy and Liminality Bazuzu and lamashe Tou. This is from twenty twenty three. She refers to him as the king of evil winds and the ruler over the worst of the wind demons, who he can also seem to control to some extent. I don't know if he's straight up controlling them or he is just like the roughest, toughest of the bunch and he can beat them into submission in the same way that like Godzilla is the king of monsters, not because there's like a detailed hierarchy, but because he can whip all the other ones.
Speaker 3: That's right. He's not giving orders to the other monsters. He's the monster you call when you got a monster messing with your city.
Speaker 2: Right, right, And yeah, the Godzilla world does line up with this rationale as well, so Pazuzu can break the wings of dangerous wind demons. And this source also points to the likely foreign origins of Bazus, given that he was a late introduction to regional beliefs and traditions. He doesn't pop up visually till the eighth century BCE, and textually he doesn't pop up to the seventh The Metropolitan Museum of Art also has some resources about him because they have some images of Pazuzu in their collection. They point out that he was associated with the cold winds that blew into present day Iraq from the Zagros Mountains on the border with present day Iran, though they also stretched into southeastern Turkey. These mountains and these winds were thought to carry pestilence. These mountain regions had long been inhabited by humans from very early times. They were also known to have been Neanderthals that lived there at one point, and in fact, the earliest known human remains in Mesopotamia, or at least at one point. The earliest known human remains in Mesopotamia were excavated in Shaannadar Cave in the Zagros mountains, according to Black and Green in their nineteen ninety two book, But Yeah, Bazuzu is often depicted as climbing mountains in order to engage in battle against other demons, particularly other wind demons. But who knows what kind of demon Bazuzu might battle. You might be able to to convince him to do battle against an evil demon that is coming after you. Now, it's interesting to note that when we look at some of these Pazuzu amulets, but you know that would be worn by a pregnant woman that has the face of Bazuzu, and it's all about keeping La Machhetu away from you. If you you flip them over, you would see that they would also have inscriptions of like straight up benevolent gods on the back, the side that's facing you, that's touching your chest. Perhaps because again, Pazuzu is not your friend. He is a very dangerous wind demon, you know, master of evil winds, and at the end of the day, he's not something you want to mess with. You don't want his attention to fall back on you. And so you know, it's like you want to keep the face of that ambulant pointing out to where your enemy may may come from, but you don't want it looking in at you. You don't want to somehow manifest his rage at you.
Speaker 3: M Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fascinating, and it's something I think that may feel foreign to people who are more used to the trappings of a monotheistic religion. You know, the idea that, yeah, you can turn to a dangerous entity or potentially dangerous entity, one that's not a typical ally of human beings in order to deal with certain evil, supernatural threats. You know, you can. Essentially it's like almost like hiring a bounty hunter in the Star Wars universe, Like, yeah, Pazuzu, you know, he can do this job for you. But you know you're making a deal with a ultimately a pretty dangerous and unsavory character, so you got to be careful. Yeah, but at least he's not the Empire, you know. So again, you know, I can't help but think Pazuzu is done dirty to a certain extent in The Exorcist. You know, I don't know, I'm not prepared to do like a full analysis of how Pazuzu would behave in the Exorcist and or of another demon would be more fitting for the role. But yeah, it seems like if you knew how to manage your use of Pazuzu and your invocation of Pazuzu, you could very much use him to protect yourself.
Speaker 3: If one were forced to try to reconcile the canon here. I think what you can maybe say is that within the world of the Exorcist, it's actually just a separate Christian demon that is taking on the image and name of Pazuzu. Is just saying like, I assume this form.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because otherwise you'd be tempted to say, well, actually the god that they are calling on should be Pazuzu. The demon and the entity they're trying to drive away should be a lamache To who is ultimately here not a acting a baby or a pregnant woman, but is at least attacking like a young girl, which is maybe not too far away from her, you know, usual targets of aggression.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I think that probably marks the end of our first part here, but we're going to be back to talk about some more demons and frightening entities of ancient Mesopotamian religions in the next episode.
Speaker 2: That's right, because there are more demons, there are more gods, there are more strange monster like creatures. So we're going to get into it in the next episode. In the meantime, we'll just remind you that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, short form episodes on Wednesdays and on Fridays. We set aside most series concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. And of course this month everything is Halloween themed. Weird House is Halloween themed, our core episodes are Halloween themed, so we hope everybody's enjoying the celebration. We'll also remind you, hey, if you're on Instagram, looks follow us. We're stb ym podcast on Instagram and that's one way to keep up with the episodes as they come out. Let's see. Also, yeah, if you go to Stuff to Blow your Mind dot com, that should lead you over to the iheartpage for our episodes, and there's actually a little tab there for our store if you want to go check that out. We did a Halloween t shirt last year and it's pretty fun. Has a lot of like occult symbols on it and so forth, and you can get other merchs there. It's just for fun. Don't feel like you've got to buy anything to support us. But if you enjoy the show and you're like, hey, I need a new T shirt, well we've got options.
Speaker 3: For huge things. As always to our excellent audio producer Jjposway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to your favorite shows.