Speaker 1: Welcome to Wired to Hunt's rutfresh Radio, bringing you the latest reports from the whitetail woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, stay longer, and now your hosts Casey Smith and Tyler Jones.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Casey Smith.
Speaker 3: Dear, season is finally here, specifically, archery season has finally arrived.
Speaker 2: Hunters around the country are excited.
Speaker 3: However, weird weather, food sources, and just questionable deer movement has everybody a little on edge. We get the reports from around the country to give you what you need to know.
Speaker 2: This is rutfresh. Let's go.
Speaker 4: Welcome to rutfresh. This is your host, Tyler Jones. Casey Smith at this with me.
Speaker 3: What's going on, dude, Yo, Just hanging out, dude, just actually doing some hunting, which is nice. We're archery white tail deer honting, which is one of my favorite things to do.
Speaker 2: Guess what, it's white tail Week.
Speaker 4: It's right and this podcast is brought to you by First Light, who happens to be running a sale on white tail pattern called Specter that is their first Light Camo pattern and things that you can find online at a good price that are very quality made equipment for you to go kill some white tails with this year.
Speaker 3: Right man and white Till Week is a lot more about, you know, good deals on good gear because the medior feed in general has got a bunch of stuff going on for white tail right now, in fact, celebrating white Tail Man. The Element guys are on the media feed. Wow, yeah, they go crazy. So anyways, we talk a lot about spotting stalk stuff on that and you know we are going to have on our Elements uh podcast there will be uh a October Q and A and I'm sure we're gonna cover a lot of that spot stalk and all kinds of other white tail questions that you all have singing in.
Speaker 2: So check that out if you haven't.
Speaker 3: It launched the same day as this podcast, but yeah, it is white Tail Wink across Metior platforms.
Speaker 2: So uh f h F first lot. Everybody's just going wild about.
Speaker 3: This stuff, and and it really is a lot more about like, let's talk about the most hunted big game animal North.
Speaker 2: America a little bit because it's pretty important, that's right.
Speaker 3: Well, it's cool because there's they're around everywhere, and there's something it's hard.
Speaker 4: To beat a big horn sheep, you know what I mean. That's right, you just don't get to hunt it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I still I still put a white tail, a big white tail buck up against it, you know. I mean, like, you know, maybe one that I might have had a chance to shoot recently, or maybe another one I had a chance to shoot recently.
Speaker 2: Maybe they recently.
Speaker 3: So I think in the spirit of white till week, we're until about our week a little bit. Yeah, the man Tyler Jones as a vendetta against the state of Nebraska and he wants to shoot all their white tails.
Speaker 2: I did say that it's like his it's like his mo o. Dude.
Speaker 3: He wants to kill every white tail deer in Nebraska, and he has got a good start on him.
Speaker 4: Well, they they got me for a couple of years there, bro, they had me over there.
Speaker 2: That is the first happening. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they so, you know, in Nebraska, the first couple of years I went, it was a struggle. There's a lot of dudes competing for early season deer there and it's just been it was as tough. It's hot, there's bugs. There was mosquitos like crazy. One year I had I had worked in on a really nice velvet eight point one afternoon and got him at twelve yards and when he came out, he kind of peeped me in a big old huggy bear sitting next to me getting ready to video and shoot this deer, you know, and that'll happen.
Speaker 2: Your profile is just twice as.
Speaker 4: Big when you got another guy in the woods with you, you know what I mean, if not more, I mean you start spreading out and multiplying, and things just get you know, cameras and big old mics on top and all this stuff. So it makes it difficult to kill deer and get real aggressive, which you know is something you like to do. You're a very aggressive hunter. Not very but you're an aggressive hunter. You understand the knowledgeably aggressive side of things. And anyway, so the first two years and lots of driving and lots of being broke to like nineteen was one of the more poor years of my life, you know, twenty nineteen and you know it was tough. Guess what about twenty twenty one? You talked me into going back to Nebraska. I was done two years. I figured out I didn't want to be there again. It was hard, it was tough, it was hot. You talked me into going back, and I end up shooting a really nice buck. The memory is such a good memory, man, And it was fun night. There was, I mean, from the whole day, the transpire of the whole day.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 4: And I think it was September fourth when I shot that deer, so he was real fresh out of velvet, you know, and just had like them spiky sharp things on his bases, you know, and just a wide, nice buck that came to like three yards and smoked him straight down. And then that was twenty one. On twenty two, you and I go back and we do the double thing, which just you know, released earlier the spring in video format on the Mediator channel, which is part that's the first part, one first part of our series of the buck Truck, So you can check that out if you haven't seen it, and it's a cool video. We double within like fifteen minutes of each other, and we're sitting like eighty five yards apart or something eighty one yards something like that. It was awesome. So this year we come back. And I actually wasn't really thinking double until you mentioned it, I think, and uh but I didn't want to shoot a deer. I just I just wasn't thinking like, oh, we should really, you know, we should like continue the tradition here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like, oh, let's go too kill some deer.
Speaker 3: I knew it was a possibility, but we had pretty much three days to hunt, and mornings have been like hot weather, and they just hadn't been great. We have, in fact hunting mornings and didn't see any deer anymore, Like no deer, not even dose.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, uh so it's really three evening hunts.
Speaker 3: So it's like, uh, I guess your chances of doubling up are pretty low. It's like a kind of like a slot machine almost, right. I don't know much about that. But there's three of them, right, you know, like they matching them up is going to be pretty tough. But I knew there was a possibility because we're in an area there's a lot of deer, we're hunting some really good food sources, and you know that's you know, I both tend to shoot a deer.
Speaker 4: So it's the way I know, man, I got to shoot more than once on that trip.
Speaker 2: Actually, dang you letting that cat out of the background.
Speaker 4: Maybe, I mean there's some dose that got killed and stuff like that to you.
Speaker 2: So you know, it's a fun trip. It was, man, and so I.
Speaker 4: Talk about a lot of that on our podcast. I imagine the uh, we're just gonna leave it there.
Speaker 2: The double.
Speaker 4: The double may or may not have happened. It happened, Okay, it happened. I think you just gotta you gotta figure out the details on our podcast. Yeah, that's a good idea, it is.
Speaker 3: So with that being said, on that note, we are going to give you what we think about Nebraska for a fresh extra report here at the beginning of archery season, kind of as a celebration of what's a week Tyler Jones, knowing what you know about what's going down right now in the state of Nebraska, what would you give the next week on a scale of one to ten for predicted buck movement?
Speaker 2: I give a reason why.
Speaker 4: Yes, I would predict that buck movement will end, and I will predict that it will move from a four to a six.
Speaker 2: But give them the Midwest six. It's a Midwest six in there. Way to go to.
Speaker 4: By the way, if you hear somebody from the Midwest on Refresh and it ain't the rut, it's probably gonna be a six. That's a very thing. It's like, oh, it's a little bit optimistic, you know. It's kind of like, man, we might get somebody in there that can change our policies, and this thing is better for us.
Speaker 2: Who knows? It seems like we.
Speaker 4: I think that, Oh you have reasons, so yeah, yeah, the reasons is. The main reason is there's a pretty good cold front coming across kind of Midwest, and I think that what I have noticed in the last week of hunting has been, like you said, slow mornings and even the evenings. It's been hot enough that it has kind of stifled the It's almost compressed the movement. I feel like, into a it's just hot and windy. So everything is like last minute. And I have a real good reason as of last night why that's the case. But like twenty minutes before shooting light, all of a sudden, it was just like a wave of deer right and I saw that the first evening I hunted too, where it was like everything just right at dark just started to really I mean, you see some those early on Nebraska, but like all the bucks just ride at dark Man, So I think that it will increase. It'll bump a point or two going into maybe three to five. It's caught three to five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, it sounds pretty good. I'm about right there. I don't think i'd change what you had to say on that at all. I would also add though, that from my observations, the bucks were still in bachelor groups, but they were a little looser and everybody.
Speaker 2: Was feeling the juice.
Speaker 3: They started scraping while we were hunting and rubbing, and in fact, I saw a mature buck come over and run or kind of bumped, didn't run him off, but bumped a two year old who was rubbing, and he went to rubbing on the same So I think that within the next week we're going to see those bachelor groups start to really break apart. And if you've had deer patterned, that could be bad for you. But if you haven't and you've been wondering where the bucks are, that could be a really exciting time for you because they're gonna So deer aren't territorial from what I understand, but they are aggressive, and they have a hierarchy, you know, a level of who's dominant. So you're going to end up with these little bubbles that bucks kind of try to stay out of, and that's whey they starts craping and doing all that stuff. Anyways, I think that if you haven't been seeing bucks, there's a chance you start having bucks show up this week with the cold weather and the dispersion. So it's a good time of the year to be a whitetail hunter. Let's go listen to what the guys have to say for reports. I've gotten Nathan Koenig from Alberta, Canada with Vortex Canada. He has been doing some whitetail hunting up in the North Country.
Speaker 2: Hey, dude, what's up, man?
Speaker 5: This is it man.
Speaker 6: I just got back from a fifteen day hunting trip, a successful hunting trip, so things are winding down a bit for me, but picking up for probably a lot of the people out here in the woods.
Speaker 2: Dude, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: I that sounds like a pretty long ago of it for fifteen days, but I'm glad to hear you had some success. You killed a really nice wattail buck from what I saw. Can you tell me what the hunting was like.
Speaker 2: Was it hot? Was it tough? What was going on up there? Oh?
Speaker 6: Man, it was a lot, a lot of deer movement, Lots of dos and smaller bucks have been out seeding, laid into the mornings and early early in the evenings up until dark. So it's been it's been pretty awesome. Actually, the mature bucks they seem to be hiding a little bit, probably out exploring their territories, maybe taking inventory of does, but they've been fairly patternable, So it's been. It's been good. It was an awesome hunt for sure, Nathan.
Speaker 2: They eating.
Speaker 6: A lot of a lot of alf alpha, a lot of hayfield.
Speaker 5: I've been finding them in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are there are there any Are they doing any any native brows options up there right now?
Speaker 2: Is it pretty much? Ag is just a way to go?
Speaker 6: I would say it's the way to go. I've basically I stuck to all the eggs because the deer's are are piling in. It's starting to get cooler in the evening, so I think they're starting to try and get that fat layer built up for the nasty winters we have up here.
Speaker 4: Can you correlate that cooler temperatures with an earlier movement from those bucks in the evenings.
Speaker 6: I would say the little, the littler, the smaller bucks, less mature bucks are moving trying to get that feed and hanging out a little bit with the doors. But the more mature bucks they're starting now that it's getting cooler, just starting to explore the territory and uh looking, you know, take inventory of those dolls, seeing where they're at.
Speaker 2: So, alfalfa is kind of a.
Speaker 3: Different food source than a lot of the other agriculture, right because it's always there that doesn't rotate very much. Is there any rhyme or reason to what makes a a alfalfa field good?
Speaker 6: I think it's just a field that you know, the farmers aren't in all, aren't in laid into the fall, and they're once they get that second cut of hay off, it grows grows back. So there's lots of food there for them, lots of good nutrients. Yeah, they love it, They love that stuff.
Speaker 3: Do you think that the moon had any effect on the hunting the past a little bit here? You know, we had a full moon cycle just went through.
Speaker 6: You know, I started hunting and it was the new moon, and by the time I was finishing up my hunt, it was the full moon, the harvest moon, and I honestly, I didn't see a huge difference in the amount of deer movement from one of my hunt till the end. I was seeing the same you know, twenty five dos and six bucks out in the field, and the big the big deer that I did see, they seem to be on on a site like a rotation. So I've seen them every ten days, so I've seen them. My second day of the hunt, I saw two big bucks, and then on my twelfth day of my hunt, I saw the same two big bucks in the same field.
Speaker 4: That's interesting. So going forward, you got some cooler tamps that you've been talking about. Uh, we got some different moon cycles. Are you thinking like in the next week that there would be better hunting or and also would you hunt like the same pattern or would you do something different?
Speaker 6: I think the I think the bucks are going to be starting to get a little more nocturnal. I think it's gonna you're going to get that kind of an October lull where the bigger bucks are again they're just touring, coming out feeding later because they're They're smart. They know they know that hunting season's coming as soon as that first frost shows up, and they seem to just start going nocturnal. So I do think that for mature bus it's gonna you're gonna you're gonna be waiting a little longer and potentially not seeing them out as much during the day.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 4: So if you had to, if you had to rate the buck movement in the next week based off of any moon weather variables or just even diurnal period, would you what would you rate it on a scale of one to ten?
Speaker 2: What you just your your prediction.
Speaker 6: I think the last week was probably up there. It was probably an eighth. But I think in the next coming weeks it's, like I said, it's going to slow down a bit. Probably, I'd give it a six out of ten. Okay, to be a little.
Speaker 2: Slower, gotcha. Gotcha. Well awesome, dude.
Speaker 3: Well we really appreciate the report from Canada and I hope you have a great risk of the fall.
Speaker 6: No problem, thanks lot, guys, have a great day all.
Speaker 4: Right now on the phone, I've got Scotty Lego. Scotty is an Olympic medallist and also just a hunting Attic from New Hampshire. What's going on, Scotty?
Speaker 5: Hey, how you guys doing.
Speaker 4: We're doing well, man, We're uh Actually, I'll say this, So when you go up north, out of Texas and other places in the South, you end up in places that don't really spend a lot of time or money on ac and so frankly, it's pretty hot where we're sitting right now. We're indoors and you know, it's like ninety where we're hunting, so pretty warm. But other than that, man, I can't complain. How's everything going for you?
Speaker 5: Yeez ah, Yeah, everything's going good, man.
Speaker 7: Just it's the season that we've all been waiting for us is here and I'm about fifteen days into it or a.
Speaker 5: Little bit over.
Speaker 7: But yeah, sign's starting to pop up in the woods and it's a good, good time to be out there, and it's it is definitely a little abnormally warm, but nothing nothing like ninety degrees going out hunting in your shorts.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well we've been trying to find our way lately. You've been finding your way in the elk woods and in the deer woods. Talk a little bit though about what the deer have been doing in New Hampshire.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so we have.
Speaker 7: You know, we have a decent population where I live. You know, I'm in southern New Hampshire. I can't speak for the northern part of New Hampshire because that's a world of difference. But yeah, you know, the deer move in and there are This year is pretty different as far for a couple of different things. This acorns are super heavy this year, and apples and beech nuts and essentially everything that can drop is dropping. So I think it's spreading the deer belt, which is kind of dropping deer sightings down a little bit. But yeah, they're out there and I'm starting to see bucks laying down, some signs, starting to see scrapes opened up, you know, trees being rubbed up, and yeah, I'm just I'm just trying to hone in on a big one right now.
Speaker 2: That's cool, man.
Speaker 3: So beech nuts are intriguing because I don't know if a large portion of the country has that as a hard mass crop. Is that pretty much just in sequence with when acorns are or when does when does the heaviest part of that hit the ground and how much do the deer hit them?
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're they're dropping right now.
Speaker 7: I think they are not even close to what an acorn would be or what in white acorn would be. As far as preference, I think, you know, if they're in their way or if they had nothing else, they'll definitely hit them.
Speaker 5: But it's nothing I would really key in on.
Speaker 7: Maybe if I can get close to, you know, a buck buck betting area or where I suspect he might be and that might be the first first tree he might go hit mill, that might be a factor.
Speaker 5: But yeah, they don't, they don't really love them.
Speaker 7: But in some areas where they don't have a lot of oaks, like up north, they'll definitely key in on them and bear as well too.
Speaker 2: Are you doing any morning hunting right now or is it a lot of evenings.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm doing a little bit of both. I will I won't go to my I guess my best spots in the morning because I have no clue where they might be coming coming from or how they're.
Speaker 5: Getting into their bedding area.
Speaker 7: But you know, we're I love shooting dose, so where a lot of it's you know, a couple of dough tags, actually three dough tags where I'm at, so I love having that opportunity as well.
Speaker 4: Scotty, is the moon played into any of the hunting lately do you feel like?
Speaker 7: To be honest, I don't really pay attention to it too much. I know some people live and die by it. I know some people don't believe in it. I just don't really, I don't really know to be quite so. I did notice though the other day, when uh, one of your one of your guests on Rockfresh, He's like, yeah, you know, like I noticed there's a lot of midday activity when it was a I think it was a full moon. And sure enough, you know, I ended up seeing quite a few deer out in the open middle of the day. But that also had we had a slight drizzle, slight rain, so that could have been a factor as well.
Speaker 5: We're undetermined.
Speaker 3: Well, looking forward, I see, uh, the weather forecast for New Hampshire is pretty flatline, you know. Uh, there's not a lot of fronts or anything moving through over the next week. So uh, as you look to the next week, what would you rate your prediction for buck movement on a scale of one to ten.
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 7: Man, I hate I hate to discourage anyone out there, and I'm an optimist, but I guess to give it a three point five just for a couple of different factors. One just the flatline weather abnormally warm, and I think just having the deer right out with all kinds of sources available. I think we'll limit your number of sightings, but I'm gonna go three point five to four.
Speaker 4: I killed a buck on a two out of one hundred days, so sometimes it can work, man. So I appreciate the honest report, Scottie, and uh, just the good thoughts about different food sources and those kind of things.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: Hopefully we'll get to have you back on sometime later this year, maybe give us another New Hampshire report, maybe when it's rocking and rolling up there. Appreciate your time man, and and your optimism at times as well, and hopefully we'll get to talk to you again.
Speaker 2: Man. I hope you kill a big buck.
Speaker 5: All right? Thank you guys, you as well. Good luck.
Speaker 2: This is Jimmy Shyy. He gets after it in Central Pa. Up in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: Uh, they take a lot of pictures of elk, but kill some really nice white tail bucks as well.
Speaker 8: What's up, dude, all working, hunting, loving life man.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: Man, that sounds like a pretty good time. Y'all actually had some pretty good success here in the past week. Your your girlfriend shot a real nice buck.
Speaker 8: Yep opening day and we don't only had one day to hunt so far this year and it paid off.
Speaker 3: So that's cool, man. So what tactic were you using to set up on that deal?
Speaker 8: I just had I hide her set up on a little transition area where I knew they were betting.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 8: They were kind of feeding along a ridge acorn ridge up into some soybeans that the neighboring property highs planted.
Speaker 4: So when you say transition, you mean like some like cover to more open hardwoods.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the bottom there is real thick cover, and they come up over the ridge and they kind of crease top of the hill. It's a little oak flat, and then they go into the soybeans.
Speaker 4: Is there a place to get them on the top of the hill. Is there a saddle there or something like that, or are you just.
Speaker 8: Kind of there's kind of like a little saddle there, And they seem to be liking the one side of it more than the other. So I put her standing there near my trail camera and they just read the script they've been doing all the last couple of months.
Speaker 2: There, Yeah, just big white okay acorns.
Speaker 8: Uh, there's a mixed red and white. But the whites are doing really really well this year.
Speaker 3: So you said they were decinating at soybeans. Are those beans still green or they turning yellow?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 5: They're still green?
Speaker 8: Oh wow, I've seen some of them are turning a little bit, but there's still.
Speaker 2: Quite a few of screen got you man? That's cool.
Speaker 3: So as we look forward kind of like to this next week, here, are they still gonna be doing the same whereas those beans start to change and the acorns kind of change, are are you gonna be looking at doing something different?
Speaker 8: I'm gonna be looking into and they typically, you know, after a couple of weeks of archery and pa here they changed changed tactics a little bit and started heading closer to the betting where I'll try to target.
Speaker 2: So you know, it was a it was a full moon recently. Did that affect you y'all?
Speaker 8: It almost seemed like it did. Yeah, I'd imagine it.
Speaker 2: Did negatively or positively.
Speaker 8: I think positively. I think I was kind of prepared for this year. I haven't really paid attention in years prior, and I tried to pay attention a little more this year, and I was hoping just from reading when they were gonna move, and they actually moved very close to what was projected online.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 4: Man, y'all fixing to make me a moon believer up on this podcast, Dude, I'm telling.
Speaker 2: You moon believer off fair well.
Speaker 3: Ago you told me that you had a a number one buck that's still out running around.
Speaker 2: Is that a buck you're going to try to move in on this week?
Speaker 8: That's that's the one I'm hoping I's wum mainly targeting on and I'm trying not to push them too hard, but not having a lot of time to hunt, I'm trying to also be a little aggressive as well.
Speaker 2: So with that aggression, are you are you doing running gun setups or are you just kind of picking the preset stand that you think is the best chance.
Speaker 8: I'm kind of I don't normally do run and gun. I use a saddle and I just try to try to follow the sign around as best I can and try to scout as much as I can and read the cameras.
Speaker 4: So if you're going forward in the next week, you're going to be. Are you going to still be thinking about moon stuff and trying to trying to create uh success through when those like predicted movement times are based off the moon.
Speaker 8: I'm going to keep an eye on it. Like I'm not a totally firm believer, but I mean I'm you know, at one time and done. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not. So yeah, yeah, I don't want to I don't want to rely on it too heavy, but I think it could be something to look into.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cool man, So uh in the next week based off of obviously moon, since your believer now, and uh, whether and anything else very wise that you can think of. What would you rate the buck movement predicted buck movement on a scale of one to ten.
Speaker 8: I think we're gonna be mid range four or five. I think a lot of deer is still pretty nocturnal, but I think you can still catch in like unpressured areas. You might see some decing before it are or right by for daylight movement.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, gotcha? Yea cool.
Speaker 3: That's a pretty good, honest report. I think that's pretty realistic for this time of year. And I'll tell you what sounds like You've got a beat on him there in central Pennsylvania, and I hope you get after that big number one target bug.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 8: Well, thank you much. I hope so too.
Speaker 2: Cool dude, We'll talk to you soon. Thanks, man, They.
Speaker 5: Talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: I've got Parker McDonald from the Southern Collective. He's out in West Virginia just editing and driving roads and hunting and getting reports and all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 2: Man, what's going on?
Speaker 9: Oh dude, just sitting outside and join the view. I've never been to West Virginia before, and let something. It's a it's a big country out here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is it? Are you in the hills? Oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 10: If it's not the hills, then I don't know what else?
Speaker 2: What else would yeah? Yeah? Have you uh you done any hollering.
Speaker 10: A couple of times?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, that's.
Speaker 4: Any Oliver Anthony's out there hollering back at you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: It's just Appalaysia, baby. West Virginia is known for Mountain Mama's. But have you seen any Mountain papas is in big Bucks out there?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 10: So they're here, They're absolutely here.
Speaker 9: It's like it's so crazy out in the in these woods because there's so big, the country is so vast, and it's like it's a very much a you gotta grind, you gotta really want it.
Speaker 10: You got to put in the sweat equity.
Speaker 9: But when you get there to the places, there's a good chance that there's gonna be some payoff there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I do.
Speaker 4: I don't like that too, man, Like just the feeling that if you put in the work, it's you got a high chance instead of like I don't know, in East Texas, you might be putting in the work and still just end up hunting right next to it, dude, you know whatever, not having a good chance.
Speaker 9: So you put in the work, You put in the work in it, and it's still a game of odds. Whereas when you put in the work out here, you're it's always going to be a game of ods, I guess with deer hunting, but it's going to be uh, you're gonna have greater odds.
Speaker 2: To sure to get there sure.
Speaker 10: I think. I think that's kind of the theme that we've seen.
Speaker 3: So this week we've talked to a lot of people who are relating deer to agriculture, and I would imagine that's not what's going on out there.
Speaker 2: So what those deer doing.
Speaker 9: Yeah, most of the deer that have been seen have been either on acrons right, just like most places in the country. Early October and in late September we were seeing that in North Dakota as well. But so right now, the white oaks are just starting to drop here in West Virginia. It's been super dry, not been a whole lot of rain, and it's it's just been hot, you know.
Speaker 10: So they're just now starting to drop. And so a lot of the guys are seeing them out there.
Speaker 9: But then guys are seeing them in the in the open, like the open reclaimed stuff where there's a ton of new growth and green stuff, and so that's what they're seeing. I mean, if you if you're gonna kind of relate agriculture to something, I would probably relate it to that. Sure, those those big open like a clear cut basically it's gonna do the same thing.
Speaker 2: Have there been Have you seen any lunar effects on deer movement?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 10: Man, I don't know that I could honestly answer that question. I guess we've been here for about four days and it's been.
Speaker 2: I think the way the mood has.
Speaker 10: Been bright overhead around like middle of the night probably you know, the whole time.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 9: So so you know, we don't know it's been the same basically the whole time, So we don't know what was like before.
Speaker 2: And sure it might be like afterwards. Gotcha.
Speaker 3: Well, if you look forward to the next week, there is like a rain front coming this weekend when it's gonna bring some cooler temperatures.
Speaker 2: What do you think that's going to do the deer?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 10: Man, I mean, what I think is gonna happen is if we get some rain here.
Speaker 9: Friday, I think there's supposed to be a pretty big temperature drop here and over the weekend. I think that you're gonna start seeing Number one, you're gonna start seeing maybe some more acres start dropping and be able to pinpoint those hot food sources in the hills. And number two, you're gonna start being able to find fresher sign right like if it's not raining, you're gonna be.
Speaker 10: Able to start finding that.
Speaker 9: And then you add that on top of a cold front, and the deer're gonna actually being up moving. I think it's gonna do a lot for just being able to be effective as a deer hunter and also the deer being on their feet.
Speaker 4: Oh man, let's go so scale a one to ten. What would you predict buck movement to be like in the next week or so?
Speaker 9: Man, just because it's so drastic, I'm going to say probably like a like a seven or an eight.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like it, man, Well Parker, I like you, Man.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you as a friend, and I just hope that you guys have a lot of success everywhere you go this year. Man, And uh, you know, everybody keep an eye on Southern Collective. Man, there's doing some cool stuff. And again, appreciate the report from West Virginia. And I hope you get to kill all the bucks and those especially in Alabama.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 10: I feel the same way about you guys.
Speaker 3: I hope that you get a chance at the biggest buck of your life this week. And if if you need more inspiration, need more hype, check out white Tail Week. There's a link below click that it'll carry to all the cool stuff white tail going on at meat Eater also on the med Eater YouTube channel. The most recent episode of Buck Truck has launched. It has got just a gem of a human in there. Klay Nukeomb himself came and hunted with us in Arkansas. We chased the bucks around down the river bottoms. Be sure if you haven't to watch the most recent episode of Buck Truck link below.
Speaker 4: On that note, one of our videos on our channel, it's called the Whitetail Bombs, is going to be released by that point two. This is a couple of our cameraman or three of them, and they killed two bucks on public land in Texas in the same day. It's an awesome video that's going out on our channel, The Element. And there's also one thing I need you guys to do. There is a Caliber Battle article that is by Jordan Sellers. It's on the website, the media webs go over there and I need you guys. I'm not sure exactly how you vote, but I need you to vote for me. Okay, case you got to buy in the first round, let's go. I do not have such luxury. I'm going against Garrett Long. He's got a six ' five going against my two forty three. I need you to vote for my caliber so that me and Casey can go head to head and then I can lose to his thirty thirty.
Speaker 2: Anyway, go over there and check that out. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: This has been root fresh, Stay fresh,