Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Aniga an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Hi guys, Hi, Welcome to our Melose minute. This is a very big Melrose minute for us because Daphne and Laura finally have to stop teasing me about my promise but never happened dinner party.
Speaker 4: Now we just have to invite the eight others.
Speaker 3: We'll start with the day we finally did it. Thirty years later, we finally had a dinner party. It was super fun. Laura baked a gluten free lemon buncake with this glory that was to die for, one of my favorite recipes, and it was so funny because it was gluten free.
Speaker 2: But I was like, don't let David hear you, because he's he in his head who eats everything, thinks that anything gluten free is gonna taste bad.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. Don't tell you. He's not alone.
Speaker 5: I think there's a lot of people who think, oh, gluten free, that I'm not going to want to eat it, and so like, I think it's a badge of honor to be able to make something that helps people who want to eat gluten free have dessert. But then it's like a secret for people who actually like it, and they it was.
Speaker 3: There was a time when everything gluten free was dry. I've been gluten free for a long time. It gives me migraines, so I'm used to it. Like I I for a long time, I didn't know what an actual cracker tasted like. I thought i'd even tastes like sawdust. But now it's so good, and your cake was so moist, so extraordinary, and Doug made you.
Speaker 2: Bring that extra icing because I guess really good with you brought this whole extra.
Speaker 6: Cup of He's not going to bring the cup.
Speaker 4: With I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's the presentation is not that cute, but.
Speaker 4: It's just like goo.
Speaker 3: I was taking a scoop of the ice cream in a little bit of cake, I was scoop of the frosting, and a little bit of cake scoop of the frosting.
Speaker 2: By the way, your presentation was it she comes in with this porcelain cake plate like this on this rais cake plate column with this, I mean, your presentation, it couldn't have been better.
Speaker 5: Well, it could have been maybe better planned out, because on the drive over, I've got the cake on the cake plate, and I had opted out of bringing one with like a cover or a film because I thought, oh, if the cake, you know, like sides, and it's the side, then it'll like the glaze single like crumble off.
Speaker 1: And I didn't want that to happen.
Speaker 5: So I've got it on this cake plate, which turned out to be very slippery. So we're driving and I'm like surfing the plate to turn out what you were late.
Speaker 4: Protecting my cake?
Speaker 1: I was late and I brought a cake.
Speaker 4: It was really great.
Speaker 3: I said to my son before you guys said okay, Jack, practice this sentence.
Speaker 6: You haven't changed a bit.
Speaker 1: He didn't say what he forgot.
Speaker 4: It was so nice to me.
Speaker 3: He said, well, that'll be easy since I've never seen it. And I was like, well, just just do it for me, honey.
Speaker 1: And it was so.
Speaker 4: Great to meet He just found Jack.
Speaker 6: Doesn't he remind you of your Jack?
Speaker 3: Like that same sweetness?
Speaker 6: It is so sweet.
Speaker 4: They're about ten years apart, right is how old is Jack?
Speaker 5: Sixteen seventeen and just about twenty five?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah. It was so sweet and so much fun to sit together. And Doug was there. It was kind of like.
Speaker 1: We were just being grown ups together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and most most of us had been on Meloe's place, which is an interesting way.
Speaker 4: To the majority.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you count there were people.
Speaker 5: And I love that, like we we just we had a dinner together where we barely talked about I don't think.
Speaker 4: We didn't talk about mal Rows at all.
Speaker 1: Melrose or podcast or anything.
Speaker 6: I kept trying to bring it up, and you guys you did.
Speaker 3: Did you think I was good in the scene about And then you guys would just talk right over me.
Speaker 2: I mean there was that once when you asked all the men, so do you think season five was different?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And also did sheem pretty? And then they just did answering did you know.
Speaker 4: That we were going to be a canceled? They would have been like what.
Speaker 1: It was fairly easy just not to talk about it.
Speaker 3: It was super easy. So do you guys like to throw dinner parties? I love to their dinner parties. And I'll say why because I don't like loud restaurants. I don't like that I can't hear everybody and talk to everybody. I would rather spend all day cooking and get it, because you know, we all cozied around my kitchen table, which is pretty cozy. But I like everybody so we're all talking together, right. I hate it when you go to dinner with a group and you only talk to the people on either side of you. So I will even if it's at my big table, because then everybody can hear each other, that's for sure.
Speaker 6: But it's about for me, and I'd much rather do the work. What about you guys?
Speaker 4: Same?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I love it to have dinner I mean at home, I do. I love attending and I.
Speaker 2: Would like to go to somebody else's house and where I get someone's bringing a cake.
Speaker 4: And you know, my husband, he loves to cook and serve people. He really does. He grew up doing that. They had dinner parties at his home and I'm just I get nervous.
Speaker 2: I get performance anxiety, like, oh, it's not gonna you know.
Speaker 3: People are so grateful that you cook anything. Yeah, they're so happy to be there.
Speaker 4: And Dave is an incredible con fact.
Speaker 2: We had one the weekend before and we had two other couples there and they he had amazing He made the salmon and all that, so he loves doing it.
Speaker 5: I love your favorite that you're comfortable, you know, like doesn't he have his favorite sort of rotation, things like you wouldn't try something new at a dinner party, like I'm trying this new recipe for ten people.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, he wouldn't probably do that something he's comfortable with. He knows it's going to turn out.
Speaker 2: No, And I feel it, and he says, you know, you go do your thing. And mine is nuts and olives and cheese. So I got so I gets and cheese.
Speaker 4: So I went to do my one thing. My one thing.
Speaker 2: He said, go get some blue cheese for a baguette and some blue cheese.
Speaker 4: That was my job, my one job.
Speaker 2: So I go to this store, our local gourmet cheese shop, and I'm like, okay, I need some blue cheese for six people, and he's I go, but that looks small.
Speaker 4: Give me a little bit bigger, a little bit bigger. I came home with a pound. Oh wow, blue cheese.
Speaker 2: Guy and he's like, holy moly, will be eating that for a month.
Speaker 4: And so I just put it out on this place and everyone was like, that's a lot of blue cheese.
Speaker 2: Anyway, even that one thing I got a little bit wrong, But whatever.
Speaker 3: Everybody, it only matters that one of you likes to cook and likes to set it up.
Speaker 2: We want into your home and you're like make deep frying falaffels at you're handmaking and like you have all these dips and it looked so like how does she do this?
Speaker 4: It was like gourmet. It was great, like better than a restauran.
Speaker 6: Sweet of you your vegetarians. We had to go to their vegetarian.
Speaker 4: You had your meat dish and then a meat dish for the meat eaters. Just wonderful.
Speaker 3: I like it if you have time, right, you know, Lord, you like it to. It's fun to prepare the thing and plan the menu and plan everything for me though, because I like to cram everybody onto that little table.
Speaker 6: There's not enough. Just like people are handy. The dishes are always in move movement because there's nowhere to put them down on the table.
Speaker 2: But it was really beautiful, really beautiful, beautiful setting.
Speaker 4: I said, it was very shabby chic and it was you know, you're the floor it looked like ivy.
Speaker 6: Oh thank you, Yeah, the ivy.
Speaker 4: It was really great. That big bowl of the top vegetables. I thought it was delicious, very beautiful delicious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I love it, like we all have our roles, you know, like when Doug and I host, we kind of have settled into our roles. Like he's he's got certain things he cooks. We do a lot of We use a suveeede a lot. Now, you're not a you're not a you're a vegetarian, so you probably wouldn't benefit as much from a suevete.
Speaker 4: But it's a French.
Speaker 5: It's a water immersion that cooks food at a temperature in water that keeps a steady temperature.
Speaker 1: Throughout, so it cooks it.
Speaker 5: It's so like especially with steak, it's so tender and it's cooked evenly throughout and then you see it after.
Speaker 4: But you yeah, it's in like.
Speaker 1: A water immersion.
Speaker 5: It's sealed in a bag, so it's like airtight seal in a bag.
Speaker 1: And so we do a lot of that like this really because it's you can do it ahead and it turns out perfectly every time, and then just a.
Speaker 4: Quick people are cooking underwater a French.
Speaker 1: It's called souvide. Yeah, it's this method of cook.
Speaker 6: Could you guys cook together?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: But also because I'm so I'm so much like the dessert person and the baker, which kind of is a time consuming thing, so it's really hard to.
Speaker 1: Also participate in as much of like the food props.
Speaker 4: So it does on the cake. Yeah, like he'll cook, does he a barbecue guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll use the barbecue. And with a souvie a lot. You start with the.
Speaker 5: Suvee and then you just quickly sear on the grill for like the the grill marks and like just to give it the outside just extra searing.
Speaker 1: But everything is cooked, So.
Speaker 6: You do it.
Speaker 3: Could you do it in the souvee, which now I'm obsessed with and I will be buying it away?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 3: Can you do it in a cast iron pan on hawks? I like that crusty after so would you like salt and pepper it? And then you put it on a hot pan with some butter?
Speaker 5: Yeah, as after so after you've cooked, literally you've it's fully cooked through.
Speaker 1: But like if you did salmon.
Speaker 5: Which you could also do, it will turn out looking like a poached salmon, right, just sort of woven even yes, exactly even cooked. But then if you want any coloring on the outside or any searing that comes after, but the meat is already cooked, you can do vegetables you can do like, okay, I have a question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going to take okay, miss Suffee.
Speaker 2: So if you're looking to it once, like vegetables and meat or fish all take different times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So that's kind of the beauty of this. This has become a souvite ad, which I did not intend, but it's kind of the beauty of the souvite is that.
Speaker 1: You can time it so.
Speaker 5: That you kind of don't have to think about whatever's in the souvide, so that everything else you're dealing with.
Speaker 1: If something's in the oven or something's on the stovetop and.
Speaker 2: So one thing's in it, yeah, you want things over there and something's in the oven and something's on the stone.
Speaker 5: Yes, you could do more than one thing, as long as they're using the same temperature and it's a little bit of a different.
Speaker 1: Temperature like internal temp.
Speaker 5: It used to like if you roast something and you have to bring it to a certain temperature to be finished, there's a different subeed temperature associated.
Speaker 6: So there's like people, we have never heard of it. I know we're going to talk so much about this after.
Speaker 3: In my car today, we'll make sure we.
Speaker 2: Use it and then we come to my house and then I'll have a big chunk of blue.
Speaker 4: Cheese for you, something lovely.
Speaker 3: Stuff which was so lovely. You guys were on it like you guys were a well oiled machine. Doug was drying things. I was just leaving to dry. There's stuff there. There's a whole pile of clean stuff on my counter. I was like, wow, I didn't even know he was tidying up.
Speaker 4: Well, he beat me to it. I was like, dog, I'd be over there to help, but I don't want to be.
Speaker 6: There's only so much so fast.
Speaker 3: I always step into clean because I think people are so careful with other people's stuff.
Speaker 6: But you guys were going so fast. I was like, excellent, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 4: I don't think we broke anything.
Speaker 6: I think we break it anything so you can combat.
Speaker 3: I could come back Daftey brings huge chunks of blue cheese.
Speaker 4: And break anything. We can go.
Speaker 5: We can go on a little party rotation, like you don't have to host every time.
Speaker 3: We can wait from early though, because I want to see the subte in action.
Speaker 6: So Courtney coming two pm.
Speaker 1: Or yesterday, She's coming yesterday for the whole thing.
Speaker 4: By the way, you also do a really nice crew to ta plate.
Speaker 2: When we were at your house once when we had a development meeting, I remember, that's so funny.
Speaker 4: Oh it was a beautiful trail.
Speaker 2: Oh it's gorgeous, the whole, nuts and the whole, very beautiful, not.
Speaker 6: Cru the whole what do you call it? When it's and every.
Speaker 4: Meat, the nuts and day, what do you call it? Plus vegetarians?
Speaker 6: Those are fun all right?
Speaker 5: So we Yeah, we will have another dinner party soon and more so.
Speaker 4: Everyone enjoy your dinner parties out there. You can steal things from.
Speaker 2: These gals, or if you just want to get a bag at and a hunk of blue cheese and a bottle of.
Speaker 6: Wine pound apparently start with the pound.
Speaker 4: You might start with the last.
Speaker 5: Yes, all right on that note, Okay, thanks for tuning.
Speaker 2: Bye,