Speaker 1: Hello there. I hope you are enjoying your Memorial Day weekend, and we are uploading right now on actual on the actual Memorial Day, or the day that we are honoring those we've lost in service to this country. On Memorial Day. There's always this debate. You don't celebrate Memorial Day, you honor Memorial Day. I'm not going to get into the nuances of language here. I think sometimes social media gets up in arms over that. I have a fascinating guest today, Roy to Shia. He is one half of the authorship of a book that, had you read it before November twenty twenty four, you would have known in advance exactly how Kamala Harris was going to lose his presidential race. Roy To Shara is a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, and along with John Judas, he wrote a book that came out I Believe the Fall of twenty three Spring of twenty four, with the title where have all the Democrats Gone? And essentially every trend line that came to fruition in November of twenty twenty four, he had already identified in this book. And as I said, and many of you know this, I've used this book, among three or four others, as a teaching text for a class that I teach on behalf of USC called How Washington Works. And as one of my students wrote, boy, I wish I had read this book before the election, and I wouldn't have been so surprised by the result. The point is, it's an excellent book, definitely worth your time if you're trying to figure out what's going on inside the two parties, And frankly, is the two party system going to be able to hold up? And if we're stuck here with the two party system, what are the Democrats going to do to respond to what we've seen on the right. And I do think when you listen to the conversation that Roy tischera does provide a path for Democrats to become a majority party again and a majority governing party again. But they've got a lot of work to do. And I think you will hear in the tone of the conversation that we have we're both a little bit skeptical that the Democrats have lost enough. And I think that's the real question. Have they lost enough to make the changes necessary to become a majority party again? Right in nineteen eighty eight. Democrats lost the presidential race, with George H. W. Bush getting over four hundred electoral votes. It was a race that they were supposed to win. It really suddenly made the party rethink things. When you lose by essentially a percentage point a couple hundred thousand total total votes and a handful of states could have flip the outcome, do you think you have to make major changes or minor changes? You know, I remember a conversation and I've for those of you have been longtime listeners of me, know this anecdote. Well, but when I did a when I did a deep dive into what happened? Why is Wisconsin the most polarized state in the country? Like why did Wisconsin become more polarized than anything else? And essentially, you know, our thesis was a Wisconsin is ground zero, patient zero for polarization, which really began at the start of the twenty first century and really foreshadowed everything we've seen nationally. And Tommy Thompson, the longtime Republican governor during the last part of the twentieth century there in Wisconsin, I had him and Jim Doyle, the last two term Democratic governor before Tony Evers got in there and both of them remarked, But it was Tommy Thompson who said, you know, until one of the two parties loses by more than a point in any given election, are you going to have either party do any soul searching? Right when you have a path to fifty percent plus one to win, you don't think about you know, maybe we have some long term issues here, long term issues there, but if you still think of a path to victory, you don't work about it. It's like a Frankly. It's like if you know Frankly to pick on Wisconsin, it's like the Milwaukee Bucks with Yannis. Right, if you think having Yannis plus you know, a semi healthy Dame Lillard can at least get you to be competitive and maybe you have a chance to make the Eastern Conference finals. Maybe you don't do the teardown. Right, But if you you know, if you're if you're the if you're if you're the Charlotte Hornets or you're the Miami Heat, you think we're not even getting to the Eastern Conference Finals, We're going to do a whole teardown. And I think that's the conversation Democrats are still in They're not in a teardown mindset yet, right, They're still in this in this place where I think you still have a good chunk of the party that things just tinkering is going to do it. Oh, if they just come up with a better message with Latino voters, they will be able to fix their problems in the Southwest. Or if they just come up with a better message for working class voters and Michigan, then maybe they improve things in an Ohio or in Iowa versus what happened after eighty eight when it was a slaughter And you realize, as I pointed out before that the combination of McGovern Carter, Mondale and Ducaccus and a message of massive weakness inside the Democratic Party that they may have had good ideas, but they had weak leadership. And Bill Clinton came along and just came up with a new theory of the case, but was a bit more but led essentially with a bit more strength in how to do it. And I think that that's the question. I have our Democrats in that mode or is there such a desperation to win they'll take any answer. Well, this we're going to find out in a couple of years. But before we get to the conversation with Gorod to share, I do you want to back up a little thing on the weekend's events, because there was some Look, let's talk about what it is, which is, if the roles were reversed. What would the level of conversation and criticism be if Joe Biden and Hunter Biden were trying to make money off of the presidency. Oh did they do that? What was the level of conversation? And I'm struck by something the Speaker of the House, Mike Johnson said to my friend Jake Tapper on CNN over the weekend. Jake Tapper was asking him about the mean coin, the infamous meme coin dinner where basically, if you bought this phony meme coin basically the baseball cards of crypto, right, it's not worth a thing, these Trump meme coins. It's like it's like selling something from the Franklin Mint, if you will. But if you bought enough of them, you got to have dinner with him. Mike Johnson actually said, well, the Bidens were doing it, we're doing it undercover. Donald Trump does it out in the open for everybody to see, and therefore it's Okay, so just stop and think about that rationale. The Speaker of the House said, the reason he's not alarmed by Donald Trump profiting off the presidency versus the amount of effort he did to investigate whether Hunter Biden was essentially profiting off the Biden presidency. The big distinction for him is Biden tried to hide it. Trump doesn't hide it. So didn't ask yourself, where are we headed as a society? Where are we headed in our politics? If basically one political party is completely okay with this corruptible practice, and I say it's corruptible. I don't want to assume corruption has happened yet, but it is easy to corrupt. It is obvious. It is, you know, sort of peeing on your leg and telling you it's reigning. Kind of obvious at this point. And yet that's the rationale, that's the defense. And you want to talk about why I keep quoting Bob Dole from nineteen ninety six all the time, which was where's the outrage? And I think on this one, where's the outrage? And there is none? And there's and now the Republican Party is putting itself in a position where they're just going to be laughed anytime, laughed out of the room, anytime they attempt to criticize anybody else on corruption issues. The silence, the ignoring of what Donald Trump is doing with this presidency is something else. Now, let's take his commencement address at West Point, his decision to politicize the address, his decision to wear a maga hat. I'm going to take you back into the into the way back machine to go back. It's Barack Obama who was president. And let me just remind you of certain controversies that took place when Barack Obama did things with the military, some commencement addresses, you know, saluting the military. There was a huge outrage over what Sarah Palin deemed the latte salute, that how did Barack Obama hold a latte while he saluted the Marines as he was i think going on to Marine one. And it became this sort of obsession with sort of whatever you want, whatever you want to call you know, not journalists, not conservative journalists, but just sort of conservative influencer, wanta bees, pundits, whatever Fox News calls itself these days, because it's not a journalistic enterprise, but it's just sort of a vehicle for grievance and outrage. And this was a huge part of their outrage was did Barack Obama do enough of a salute? And I remember another time was a salute wasn't stiff enough. But I can't imagine the level of outrage. Had Barack Obama come up with an ofa hat and did an Obama for America and and took a speech and used his commencement speech to just trash his predecessor or predecessors right the most sacred of things. And it's really sort of an irrational you know, he he doesn't acknowledge the fact that these kids, these kids went to West Point the majority of the time, their commander in chief was Joe Biden. It didn't seem to rot the place so much that West Point still exists, that West Point was still teaching and graduating high performing cadets. So it is it was just, you know, I know, we're no longer astonished. And I know what about ism is a disease that that is all over the place, particularly on the right, but it's it's there on the left.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I'll give you another example. There's a there's a huge if you if you follow social media. Over the weekend, there's this, you know, a lot of folks on the right trying to say, well, left wing ideology creates more violent actors then right wing ideology. And this one is in direct reference to the terrace that gunned down the Israeli diplomats last week in Washington, DC. And I see this on the left as well. Sometimes when there's a violent incident and it's a right winger that does it, whether it was the shooting in Kenosha or the shooting the Tree of Life synagogue. So if we want to make it directly sort of anti semiticaid on the right, anti semiticiated on the left. Last time I checked is you have violent crazy people that exist on the left, and you have violent crazy people that exist on the right. And yet politically there is always a group of folks who are trying to make the case that no, no, no, no, no no no, it's not our side that produces violence, it's their side that produces violence. And there's this wilful ignorance or excuse making when it doesn't quite fit a narrative that someone hopes exists. And the fact is neither party and no ideology has a monopoly on crazy, and neither party nor ideology has a monopoly on violence. Sadly, I wish I wish it were true. Then we could easily get rid of it. Right if we knew it was only the part of one party, it would be gone. But that does not exist. But this level of what about ism because over time it eats away at it just eats away at our credibility. It erodes trust more and more because certainly, you know, we never go back. So take behavior with the military, Donald Trump's decision to politicize it without any essentially without any sort of criticism. I mean, nobody serious is criticizing him on the right, military leaders aren't. Everybody is just staling science. There's a little bit of a silence of fear that's out there. I run into it plain. I'll have people whisper to me, I really don't like what he's doing with Harvard, or I really don't like what he's doing with the military. I really don't like what he's doing with the government. But I can't say anything or I'll lose my job. Or I can't say anything or I'll lose this client. I can't say anything because I don't want funding to be cut off from my institution. So this culture of fear that's out there is very real, and you know, this is where where trust in political leadership continues to erode. You know, we don't have much trust in either side of the aisle, and it's because both sides of the aisle are earning that distrust every day with their behavior, with this idea that we've got to make sure we look good by tearing down the other side, rather than simply why don't you govern well and let people decide that you're doing a good job. Donald Trump has trouble handling that because right now things aren't going well for him right on merits, but he needs to feel like they're going well. So it becomes this attempt to tear down the left and tear down the other side. And certainly Joe Biden's legacy is in tatters because of what Joe Biden did, and Donald Trump is certainly reveling in it and using it as a way to essentially protect himself politically at this point. But it just struck me that all of these things, the corruption and plain sight, which the Speaker of the House says, oh, but it's in plain sight, so it's okay. Okay, just imagine, So basically, if I shop lift and wave to the camera, it's okay. But if I shop lift and quietly put it in a knapsack and so the camera doesn't see it, then I've committed a crime. That's exactly what the Speaker of the House is claiming with this meme coin nonsense. So it's just this, Look what about is them is a disease that strikes a lot of people in this information ecosystem, but it is a really deadly virus these days on the right. Donald trump behavior with the mean coins, Donald Trump's behavior at West Point again, just you know, we've seen the outrage that took place on the right when a Democrat behaved ten percent similarly as the way Donald Trump is has behaved over the weekend in various ways. And again, I know we're numb, right, there's a numbness to it on one hand. Right, I've got some friends in Europe who have said to me, how come you guys aren't in the streets, And I'm like, well, that was the first Trump term. There's a little less energy for that this time. So there's a little bit of that, but I also think it goes back to the fear issue that I was telling you about, where there is plenty of people who are very uncomfortable with the President's behavior, particularly how he's self enriching. I mean this, I do think what is going and what tears down every political movement, every political movement comes to an end because of corruption. And I will tell you the behavior of the Trump organization with crypto, and I've said it before, is going to be what eats and destroys this mag of movement eventually. Maybe it's not this year, maybe it's not next year, but it is. This is going to eat away. This is a cancer inside this movement, Crypto and the Trump family's addiction to self enrichment using crypto here, I'm telling you it is going to be what brings them down. And I am surprised at how many people continue to want to go along for that ride. All right, let me do a little update on a little campaign. Twenty twenty six is a fun poll making the rounds in New York City, and that's the key here. It's a It's a poll of New York City Democrats with an oversampling of Jewish voters. When I say oversampling, it doesn't mean they add it. It just has a larger sample of Jewish voters to get a better sense of how Jewish Democrats would vote. And there was two statewide matchups that were put together, Kathy Holkle the incoming governor, Richie Torres, the congressman on a gubernatorial prime memory and then Chuck Schumer and Alexandria Casio Cortez AOC in a hypothetical Democratic primary for Senate. Now that race wouldn't be till twenty twenty eight, and as many of you have heard me say before, I'll be shocked of schumer siks reelection. I don't think he's running, but to get a sense of what Democrats think of Chuck Schumer these days, or at least New York City Democrats, it's useful to know he's getting clobbered in a hypothetical matchup with AOC again New York City Democrats in this poll fifty four to thirty three. The poll was sponsored by the Jewish Voters Action Network, conducted by be It, taxed by Honen Strategy Group. It's not my favorite methodology. I'm not going to lie to you. These days, but I'm also actually, I'm never going to lie to you, not just these days. I always hate that expression because it implies, you know, well, let me you know, honestly, let me tell you no what I merely mean. You're like you're not being honest before. But anyway, but I digress. But a double digit lead twenty one point lead among New York City Democrats for AOC over Schumer. Among Jewish voters, Schumerling led four three. It was thirty eight thirty seven. And a hypothetical Democratic primary among New York City Democratic voters between Kathy hokl the incombent governor, Richie Torres, the congressman who we just interviewed last week and who told us that he was very focused on running for governor. And again, this is a subsample of a subsample. Right, it's New York City Democratic voters obviously the largest chunk of voters in a Democratic primary. But you know, I would argue Kathy Holckle's strength is never going to be New York City. If she's even in New York City, she will win a primary if she's able to do. You know, she is from Western New York, so she should have a better base there, and a New York City Democrat usually struggles the further up the state you go. But what does this tell you? And I go back to something that I truly believe. I think being an incumbent is going to be the worst thing on the ballot in twenty twenty six. If you're incumbent Republican or an incumbent Democrat. That basically incumbent bad all right. Then the next question is which party's brand is going to be seen as the more negative brand? I think in a midterm is probably depending on where we are right It's going to depend on whether you're talking a gubernatorial race where maybe one party's held the office for quite some time. That means the other party might be fired up. But overall, nationally, it's probably going to be slightly easier to be a Democrat than Republican because these Republican policies are not very popular right now. And this one big beautiful bill, I don't see anything in there that's going to help Republicans short term politically. Right If the bill works, it might help them long term, but short term I don't see where they get help out of this. So to me, this poll indicates incumbents are unpopular, Hopell not doing well, Chuck Schumer not doing well, So there is going to be this pining for change. And I think the question is how big, how many of these democratic primaries? How messy are these going to be? And what kind of fights are they going to be? Are they going to be out of logical? Are they going to be generational? Because those aren't the same thing, you know, and there are some progressives who want to hide the progressive part behind generational change, right and I think that that's you know, it's probably smart politics because many progressive policies are not popular right now with swing voters.
Speaker 2: But I.
Speaker 1: Get sort of, hey, use generational change and recruit more progressive voters. Could I buy the argument more that you need a younger generation who knows how to communicate with today's swing voters versus because I think today's swing voters need a different type of communicating too than the swing voters of just ten years ago or fifteen years ago. So I do think that Pole tells us a little bit a little bit about that. Again, it should stir the pots of more and I'm sure it is only going to encourage, not discourage Richie Torres to keep going on that one other thing worth noting big New York Times story of the weekend that indicates Democrats are still in the wilderness, and noting everything that I've been telling you about. Well, look, I do think if you read that New York Times piece, this conversation with Roychisha, I think is going to be more enlightening than what you got in the Times, and more explanatory and give you a better idea of where the future of the party lies. Because the future does not lie in Washington. The future of the party is likely lies in one of two categories of folks, either a current governor or somebody that's about to win a governor's race. Maybe it's in twenty twenty five, like Cheryl Abigail Spamberger. Maybe it's in twenty twenty six, and maybe it's somebody we haven't mentioned yet who comes out of nowhere to meet the moment. But I do think that you're more likely to see, if change is successful for the Democrats, that change will come from the states outside of Washington. All Right, with that, let's sneak in a break and when we come back to Shera on the blueprint for how Democrats get their mojo back, and joining me now is the co author of one of the most prescient books that you could have read to understand the twenty four election had you read it before the twenty twenty four election. The book is called Where Have All the Democrats Gone? Written by John Judas and Roy to Shera and Roy to Shia is joining me now. This is not the first time I've interviewed him on this topic, but we are in the middle of, I think the reckoning that Roy you were trying to warn Democrats that was coming, and now there are elected Democrats realizing, hey, maybe that guy was right. Maybe we've got a realignment going on, and maybe we need to figure out who the heck the Democratic coalition is these days? Are you ready to say I told.
Speaker 2: You sold just so.
Speaker 1: Unlessen you know I've said this and I've shared this with you earlier, and I've actually shared your book with others when I tell people the curriculum for a class I teach called how Washington Works, and your book is one that I believe should be mandatory reading these days on trying to understand we're in the middle of a political realignment and we have elections every two years that make us think and we think that somehow there's finality when the alignment could write I always love this the realignment. It's not as if realignment has stopped. It's just we've held an election. So where are we, in your mind, in the middle of this realignment. I would argue it's been I would argue this realignment started in nineteen ninety following you know, and you started to see it began with Buchanan's primary challenge to Bush, and we started to see these things over time. But that would imply that we've been in a twenty five year of political realignment. Is that Is that a fair way to look at this or not?
Speaker 2: I think that's fair. I mean, obviously it's not a continuous process. There's Pigson Valley, spikes, changes, not a straight line even going upward right. It's not a smooth process. But by and large, the last thirty years has seen well, you could even take it back farther potentially the realignment of the working class away from the Democratic Party and toward the Republicans, and then a realignment of the college educated and especially the educated affluent away from the Republicans toward the Democrats, so they really kind of shifted bases in an odd sort of way. There's a famous chart from the twenty twenty four election. I forget the guy who did it, but basically he looked at education and income differentiation polarization between the parties and the coalition the Democrats had in twenty twenty four bears the most relationship to the dull coalition of nineteen ninety six in terms.
Speaker 1: Of Wow, that's a great that's a fascinating.
Speaker 2: Pretty wild huh that is?
Speaker 1: Is it just when you look at I mean, I could I always joke I live in Arlington County, and I say I live in the last Romney precinct, is what I call it. Meaning there was a time where there were Republican precincts, and in Arlington more than just three or four, there were probably you know, twenty five or thirty in the nineties, and then you'd start to see it chip away. And I always say it was literally Ken Kuchinelli was probably the Republican that finally chased away the remaining Republicans. What is the precinct vote now, boy, I need to look at it the most recent, but it's in the.
Speaker 2: Sixties yeah, I would got like two to one Democrat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's two to one. It's not quite a it's not like the rest. It's still more Republican than the county itself relatively, but yes it is. I will tell you this. I remember it was a Ralph Northam electorate, not a Tom Perriello electorate, if you remember the Democratic primary for governor in the first from term. And so it is certainly that type of and I think it gets to the heart actually of what the Democrats. You know, in some ways they don't know. They they don't know where to atack right. If you look at this in sailing terms, do they need to shift their win towards that center right, centerst coalition, that is, educated coalition that is coming to them. Do they need to tack back to working class? Obviously you go with where the most votes are to be gained.
Speaker 2: So what say you, Well, I think it's pretty clear that in raw political arithmetic terms, they need to tack back toward the working class because it's not really a viable strategy over the medium into long term to keep losing working class voters and try to replace them with college educated voters, particularly when you're starting to lose. You know, this has really been the case in the least colorless cycles. You're starting to lose non white working class voters, especially Hispanic working class voters, but also including black working class voters. So the working class as a whole is just becoming increasingly Republican. And since the working class out numbers the college educated something like depends on if you look at eligible voters or actual voters, probably about two to one and eligible maybe sixty forty in terms of people who show up. And we know because of this strange evolution of the two parties that the higher turnout election you have, the worse it is for the Democrats because that's when the peripheral voters, who tend to be low information, working class, you know, more inclined, could blow it up than to go with the institutions. These are all people through the Republicans are more attractive. So there's another famous chart from the twenty twenty four election is done by Blue Rose Research that shows that if everybody had shown up, Trump would have won by five points overall, said one and a half points. But if only the people have voted in twenty twenty two had showed up, Harris would have seletly worn. So this is like the world we live in there.
Speaker 1: Well, this explains Omaha mayor. This explains absolutely right what we're seeing right now where Democrats appear to be overperforming in every special election so far in twenty twenty or.
Speaker 2: Like school boards, dog catcher, you name it, right, lower the turnament, the better it is for the d's because those activist educated voters who are there and every place in the country really, but particularly in a you know, like Omaha's a great example and almost not that liberal, but you know who shows up for mayor's elections exactly the kind of people who are going to vote straight Democratics. So that and they don't know what to do about that, right, because it's obviously kind of like a problem. You know, Hey, where the party of the working class historically, and we're sort of for the little guy, and you know, we don't think of ourselves as representing the college educated and affluent, but it kind of seems like those are the people are most enthusiastic. But if we actually try to rectify that pattern, what do we do? We'd have to like basically depart from the preferences of the most activated members of our new coalition who will absolutely you know, just to take an Exampleaul of, please say, well, you know, now that we've thought about it, we really don't think biological boys belong in girls' sports, full stop, right to the intense blowback. We've already seen some of that. Right. So you can go down a list of things that are making the Democrats less attracted to working class voters in a sociocultural sense, and on every one of them. It's going to be hard for Democrats to really, I mean, Matty Iglazias had a nice sort of praise for this the other day. Dog moderation, right, they realized, hey, we need more working class voters. We should probably be a little bit more moderate. So hey, I'm moderate, I'm for the working class, you know, I'm we don't want to be weak and woke and alyssa Slutkin's terminology, right, But they don't change their positions. It's still exactly the same positions. So really they're just trying to you know, people who are like hip that are following things understand. Oh, I guess that's what they mean when they say, you know, I'm moderate, but the ordinary voter doesn't know that. All they know is Democrats still send for X, Y and Z.
Speaker 1: So that it's interesting, right the way I was just listening to you say that, and I'm thinking of and now I understand it only makes it clear why House Republicans are having such a hard time writing legislation, because you've got elected Republicans who, in their minds were elected by one type of voter. But you have this sort of this sort of you know, Josh Holly Go realizing he knows who his voters are, now going, hey, I can't we can't get rid of this government benefit. This is our constituents, this is this is who makes up my coalitions. Hands off, mad a kay baby, right, So it is it is And yet you know, so it's funny to me both parties have this fragility to them because they're both dealing with new right. Democrats are struggling with trying they don't know how to how to talk to working class, even though that was sort of the roots of the party. Meanwhile, the Republicans don't know how to govern for them. Yet.
Speaker 2: I think that's exactly right, and I think that's one reason why that's, in a very abbreviated way, the thesis of report I did with you A. Leavin my colleague at AI we called politics for that learners, which is basically how neither party wants to maybe isn't even capable of forming a dominant majority coalition because they're so caught, you know, betwixt in between in terms of new and old parts of their coalition, and they don't really have a strategy on how to change them, how to actually grow their coalition ones they're actually in office. And what Trump's doing is a perfect example of this. I mean, he came into office with writing, you know, a lot of popular sentiment that was in favor of some of the things he said he stood for in terms of immigration, or terms of the economy, in terms of the eye whatever. I mean, in every single place, he's just gone a lot farther than I mean, people believe the government bureaucrats, a lot of them are you know, just throw him over the side. But the way he did it was like so scary to people that he probably on net lost more people than he gained. And the whole tariffs thing is like bizarre. People aren't opposed to the idea we should have like tariffs on China, or we need to reset the American global trading relationships. But the way it's been proceeded is so arbitrary and so hard to sort of sauce out what's really going on and figure out what the effects are going to be on me, the working class voter. That again, I think he's scaring more people than he's he's waiting over. That's why add one thing, Chuck, and that's why the one thing that actually we shouldn't be surprised as approved ratings have gone down, we should be surprised it's still forty six percent, right, I mean, despite all this Michig gos, you know, Trump still is, you know, remarkably like it bet I happened.
Speaker 1: I wonder if because of our polarization, just there's low you know, high floors and low ceilings right for these days that.
Speaker 2: They are and I think the floors are getting higher in the ceilings to getting lower. I think that's part of what it's about.
Speaker 1: Right, So there definitely is. But you know, it's funny about Trump two when you look at the polling, it is what you're describing as I say, they're not upset about the goals, are upset about the execution. Right. This is a competency problem that he has not necessarily an issue problem, because how do you know it, The Democratic numbers haven't improved. If anything, they've gotten worse right the brand. As far as what the country thinks of the Democrats, it's not a seesaw. Right, we didn't. We're not seeing a recovery the way you did in Trump One point out right, Democratic numbers actually invest right.
Speaker 2: By this time and the Trump's first term, he was Democrats were in significantly difforshaking. But I think they were leading on seven eight points on the junior or congressional and now it's about two points. So obviously things are moving in their direction. But it's not this kind of rubber band snapping back.
Speaker 1: It's not a seesaw. So you know, I wrote a piece last week about I'm obsessed with what's happened with the Tories in the UK. I mean, I know, I know that we it. Look, I do believe if either of the Dems or the Republicans, if we had, if we had, if they didn't have the duopoly on ballot access, I think one or both of these parties would have collapsed a while ago and be replaced by something else. Yeah, I wonder if structurally because of the dominance of ballot access. Right. For instance, I interviewed Rob sand who's running for governor of Iowa, and I asked, why are you running as a Democrat, And he says, because there's no viable option if you're not going to run as a Republican. He said, you can't. It's harder to get on the ballot as an independent. It's you can't vote in primaries that way. You know. He didn't sit here and say because I'm a Democrat, Okay, he was the Democratic right, No, he didn't do that. He was basically saying, yeah, I have no other choice. I wish there were another choice. How fragile do you think these parties are? And I mean because I'm I'm looking at you know, I sit here. I want the Israel's Labor Party is never recovered. I don't know if the Tories are going to recover here. I mean, I'm just you know, it's it's just astonishing what happened there. But this is this does happen in Western democracies where a major party loses multiple elections in a row, or even if they don't lose multiple in a row, they disappoint like I mean, creating a socialist part right total and I guess which to me, both parties are more vulnerable to this if there was a viable alternative. I always said we're never going to have a third a successful long term third party, But I buy the idea that we could have a third party that replaced one of the two major parties, just like we did with the Republicans in the Wigs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't rule it out. I mean, obviously in what you're alluding to in terms of the fundamental structural problem of standing up and keeping a third party around for the length of time, it's pretty hard. So ideally, yes, you do want to essentially start big and then basically push one of the major parties out the door. Right, So it's still a duopoly, just we have some different parties.
Speaker 1: I mean that Farage is doing that right now with the Tories. Essentially we're pushing them out the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I think it's a little too early to say that it's a done deal, but it is remarkable how things have progressed, and it actually shows I think you know what's going on with center lab parties too, because it's really bizarre what's happened to the Labor Party. That's a good example of get into office because people hate the other parties and you you know, you think you have a mandate, but really, you know, basically people don't even like the Labor Party, right. They have a bunch of positions and doing a bunch of things people like, they no clue what to do with the economy. They have this whole crazy ad Milivan renew deal type stuff. Their social positions are still considerably till the lap of the media and British voter and people don't like them, you know. So they're already like plunging in the polls, and you know, the Tories are sort of falling up parties you pointed out, and so reform is just rocketing upward. You look at a lot of these constituencies where they had the local elections just recently and according to estimates we are done based on that, if they held an election for MP's today at Milivan, lose a seat, right, I mean, crazy stuff like that. So something's really going on there, and I think what it shows is that across the Western world people think the major traditional parties are broken. The system's broken. The economic outputs are broken, the social contract is broken, the culture's broken, and they're looking for something that would make them feel at least a little bit of different, a little bit of hope, and they're not seeing it. And this is part of the Democrats problem at this point. Obviously, Trump's disappointing a lot of people, obviously seems a little crazy, and people certainly wonder what's going to happen with the economy. But then they look at the Democrats and say, what are you kidding me? Why should I vote with these guys? They're no different than they were, you know during the Biden administration. I mean, I wrote a piece the other day, Chuck, I know if you saw it called Democrats fork in the Road, party of restoration or Party of Change, and I think they're basically, as far as voters are concerned now, they look like the Party of Restoration. They're basically not offering anything different than what they did before. They're not changing their positions. They don't look like any better bet than they did previously. Whereas voters are thirsty for change, they may not know exactly what that change should be. But it's kind of like like our I'll know what when I see it, and you know, Bencrust don't even seem to be speaking to that. They're just like Trump is you know, the fascist, you know, hound in the White House, and is is satanic Party are about to destroy the world and the United States and everything else, and so you should vote for us because we're like, you know, we're different. I don't be that's enough anymore.
Speaker 1: Take me back to nineteen eighty nine, because to me, the closest parallel for the Democratic Party to right now is nineteen eighty nine. Get clobberd in a presidential that they three straight to win resident right, and it was three straight, just like you know, and you know, it's funny. The three nominees before Bill Clinton were Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale, and Michael Ducacas. And I think about the last three Democratic nominees, right, Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, and they and they to me, they look a little bit like those other three, right where you're just like they're they're they're they're at the it was end stage of that era of that party. And now we know that was end stage at the time.
Speaker 2: The Democrats got at the end of the beginning or the beginning of the end.
Speaker 1: Well, that's my question. What Look, there's a there's a book that I usually I love to rail on that was written back then because as a college student I was I was just as curious about what's going on with the Democrats. And I remember a book written by a guy named Peter Brown that said, where the Demo the Democrats arena become the permanent minority party.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know that guy.
Speaker 1: I remember Peter And and of course that guy was so precient that by nineteen ninety two, oops, right, it was wrong. But you know, so in his defense, you know, you know it. You know, the Democratic presidentiucated it didn't win fifty percent until two thousand and eight, right, Like, So it's not as if he wasn't wrong that, Hey, this is a shrinking coalition. It just turned out the Republicans were shrinking faster, right, and that there was that it was sort of happening on both sides. What should be some lessons that Democrats ought to take from nineteen eighty nine and nineteen ninety and nineteen ninety one, because it seems to me they're you know, if I if I were them, i'd be looking at that period, going what what What helped the party get out of that funk during that period?
Speaker 2: Well, I think we should never underestimate the good offices of the Democratic Leadership Council and the people associated with it. I mean, they really did form a group that spearheaded, you know, the concept Democrats' brand was fundamentally flawng Of course, there was a great golfston in Kmart piece of politics Inervation in nineteen eighty nine which basically said Democrats are kidding themselves. You know, they're not going to be saved by you know, economics, by the congressional bastion, by whatever. You really voters don't trust you in a B and C, and you really must change. You have to be a different kind of Democrat, and you have to signal that very clearly, right, And I think that is to some extent the difference between then and now. Well there're two differences. So get to the second one and in a second. But the first one is, I don't think the appetite, there's no there's no group out there, there's no it's not really that, there's not really a momentum behind the idea. We have to be different Democrats haven't lost. Democrat could be right, I mean, all I just.
Speaker 1: Got killed and four hundred electoral votes right, and that was much closer right. And I can tell you I've heard from plenty of Democrats to say, you know, butt for but four, but four right.
Speaker 2: She'd been able to enter the race earlier. They've been an open price. I'm mary if there's been better messaging at the end of the campaign.
Speaker 1: I mean, okay, goes and if right, you know, we could we could play that game until until we're blue in the face. But you know, it's funny. I remember doing a story about polarization in Wisconsin and Tommy Thompson saying to me, well, the problem is neither party loses by enough to change, meaning like when you only lose by a point or two, all you think about is, oh, geez, if I had raised this much more money, ran one more ad, got in one week earlier. Whatever it is, you don't believe, you believe your product's good enough. All you got to do is change.
Speaker 2: Both parties believe they're I mean, and whatever the the out party, they believe they're inches away when becoming the in party again, and maybe in a big way. So the incentives to change aren't high. So I think that's why sort of the revealed preference of Democrats at this point is to be the party of restoration rather than the party of change, because that's the easy way. You don't have the signal to It.
Speaker 1: Worked the first time, right up one point zero, I think in there mind at work.
Speaker 2: Right right, Yeah, but this time there may not be a COVID pandemic and all this kind of stuff. Plus, you know, we've had the trumpeon change in politics for a while now, and it doesn't look like you know that lands the boy. It looks like the populist appetite for change, particularly annoyment working class is stronger, if anything, than it was before. So yeah, I think they're you know, they're obvious. They are trying to rerun the same playbook, and I think it's less significantly less likely to work. But the second thing I was going to mention Schuck, besides the fact they don't see the momentum there or you know, we have to establish we're a different kind of democrat, new democrat, whatever the phrase you want to we have to be really different. So the appetite isn't there for that yet. For a lot of the reasons we've been going over. The second thing, though, is if you look at the DLC and its origins and how it developed as much influence as it did, it had a lot to do with the structure of the Democratic Party at the time and what the Congressional caucus was like. There were a lot of moderates in the Midwest and the South whore like shaping at the bid to do something like this, right because you know, they knew that things were not going well in their areas and they just right, yah, yeah, yeah, you had you had a different kind of party where that kind of moderation and that kind of tendedness to to the working class voter or the median voter was was just much higher and there wasn't. But I think throughout the Democratic Party now, uh, you know, it's much more uniform, much more homogeneous in terms of ideology, and much more hostile to the idea that Democrats really need to change any of what they stand for to make progress, right. I think that's a much easier sell. And there was a political base within the party back in the eighty quarter eighty eight period that just I don't think there's an analog to today.
Speaker 1: You know, I think about what's happening. You got one of the leading members of the Democratic Party, were the mayor of Detroit, deciding he's going to run for governors independent because he takes he's cut he can. He may be making primary calculating, there's a lot of calculations he may be making, But to me, it says something that he feels as if he can govern better, if he can govern as an independent. The leader of Democrats in the state Senate in Florida decides to leave the party again to run for government. And again, I you know, there's.
Speaker 3: Always there's always a there's always some story behind the scenes that's usually personal and all that stuff in these moves, and yet the big picture, they both make sense to me.
Speaker 1: Right, the Democratic brand is broken in Florida. It's not as if people love the Republicans. It's this literally there is the Democratic alternative is just unacceptable. So if you're going to create an alternative, you're going to have to start something new.
Speaker 2: So if that's the joint something right, If that's.
Speaker 1: The way you Florida Democrats feel, what do you do if you're at the DNC right now, how do you sort of of you know, or do you think the problem is the leadership doesn't see the problem.
Speaker 2: I don't think they see the problem. I think it's pretty obvious from the way Ken Martin ran for chair and all the Michigs around that that series of election. Of course they just threw out David Hawk. I mean, the DNC does not have feel doesn't have an understanding, nor they wish to try to, and they have limited power to push the Democrats in a direction that would be ostentatiously moderate different kind of democrat. As Ken Lartin famously put it, there's nothing wrong with in our message or whatever, we just didn't deliver it well. I mean, you believe.
Speaker 1: That always funny. I rarely meet a politician who doesn't believe they have a communications problem, right, so you never actually think they have an issue.
Speaker 2: It's all comms problems. And until and unless democratic entities like that start realizing it's not just a mat it's not just a comms problem. Pople don't like us. They don't like what we stand for, they don't like a lot of our positions they associate with us. They don't believe we're going to bring change. So we have to really change that. We can't just stick with our message and the way we are and maybe go on more Fox News more often, you know, or talk to Joe Rogan. I mean, this is like classic calm strategy. Oh the problem is we just didn't You didn't go out broadly enough to talk to the masses of honest workers and peasants about our great ideas. What if they don't think your ideas are so great?
Speaker 1: That isn't there a lesson to be learned? Isn't there a lesson to be learned here from Trump? In this way, Trump realized that the Republican Party was unpopular, and he looked at two of the issues that made the Republican Party untrustworthy and unpopular over the last twenty years, Iraq war and trying to try and do trim entitlements and what did he say, that's stupid idea.
Speaker 2: I don't don't forget trade.
Speaker 1: And on trade, the sort of three issues where he went against his own run against the Republican Party, and he did it in a primary sort of did it in bullying ways. He trashed Bush and I remember when he first did it, you thought, should you do that in a Republican primary, Right, it seemed really risky. In hindsight, it seems genius right now, Right, it would be like a Democrat running in a Democratic primary just trashing you know, Biden and Clinton and it it might work. But I don't know if there's a Democrat out there that's willing to do.
Speaker 2: It yet, right, I think I think that's that's the problem. It does seem like an obvious opening for some political entrepreneur, But does anyone have the guts to do it? I mean, we have the acknowledge I think at this point, Chuck, that Trump is like the towering political figure of the twenty first century in America. I mean he is, you know, if not a genius, there's something about him that's just quite remarkable. I mean, he really has trends. He's resilient Erican political landscape, and he's transformed the Republican Party. He's transformed an entire political party. And as you will say, he leveraged that by taking by becoming a different kind of Republican. And who are the Democrats change their brand? He changed their completely changed their brand. Right, who's the who's the brand changer out there among potential.
Speaker 1: That's my question to you.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't see anybody. I mean, you can look at people who are somewhat sensible at times, like Josh Shapira or whatever, and you realize her being extremely cautious about what they say and how they say it, and are just uncleared. Look at a list of slutkin right. I mean, she said, we don't want to be weak and woke. But okay, okay, what is your brand? Then? What do you you stand for? Nobody wants to go there, and maybe somebody will, but it's not It doesn't fill me with optimism that nobody so far is really saying anything that looks very much like that. And you could actually add to that, let's let's factor in the probability that the Democrats retake the House in twenty six.
Speaker 1: Oh, they'll learn the wrong lessons from that, right.
Speaker 2: And maybe they pick up a you know, maybe they won't take the Senate, but they do better than expected. It's like, okay, fine, everything's great, you know, on to twenty twenty eight. So I think that's going to be a problem.
Speaker 1: You could picture what do you make of what Gavin Newsom's trying to do?
Speaker 2: Well? Gavin, he gives opportunism a bad name. Well, I'll say, you know, I kind of admire that.
Speaker 1: He's at least reacting to the data he's seeing. That's the way I look at it. Not skeptical, but he's like, well.
Speaker 2: He's very smart. He's very smart, and I think he's doing exactly the right thing to kind of try to resuscitate his chances as a national politician. Personally, I don't think it's going to work. There's too much backstory there. California is too much of a frigging mess. They're going to hit eight dollars.
Speaker 1: The former mayor of San Francisco is never going to be elected president in that state.
Speaker 2: By breath on that one. But I think it's it's interesting what he's what he's doing. Maybe he'll be content to just be, you know, a sort of a gadfly in the Democratic Party and we don't forget about trying to be president. Maybe he's sincerely convinced they're going down the wrong path and he's going to the Democrats.
Speaker 1: He looks a little that's the Jerry Brown. The irony is that that's the Jerry Brown path right right, And maybe that is Kevin is slowly finding himself walking in those shoes.
Speaker 2: Serve the people, save the planet, and explore the universe. Let's just yeah, you know, let's do it again.
Speaker 1: So let's get down to more brass tacks, meaning the party needs to find a Bill Clinton or Bill Clinton needs to a Bill Clinton needs to show up and be willing to do this. I looked at the governors and while the first governor that people want to throw at me is usually Andy Basheer, and I'm like, I've on paper, it makes sense to me. I'm not sure he's a political athlete. We'll but but I'm somewhat skeptical there. But ideologically he may he may feel like the right answer. But I'm with these other governors, and the only one that seems to be comfortable challenging the status quo in the party besides Gavin for his own is Jared Poulis.
Speaker 2: Yeah bring yeah, and and but how Nancy willing to challenge the status go It's also Jazzi libertarian kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: He's more of an ununitarian right.
Speaker 2: But in terms of the other issues that have been demo the Democrats, he is, Yeah, he doesn't want to go here's the party line guy. So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know either, but he seems to be one at least that isn't cookie cutter. Right. You look at all these other Democratic governors and they all feel like they're operating between lines here where Bill Glinton was picking fights with Jesse Jackson. Yeah, yeah, that's what he was doing, and Ron Brown and Jesse Jackson, he was picking those fights in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: I'd apply that template to like Josh Shapiro, I stick. I think is interesting. He's clearly working within those lines. You know, he's kind of gone right up to the edge, but not go over. He's not going to pick fights. He's just not And maybe it's just per personality.
Speaker 1: Then I don't know, right, Well, uh, it's interesting. Barack Obama was very cautious but knew at least when to pick a fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, he was another political athlete that Democrats don't seem to have much of these days. Right. And also he was.
Speaker 1: Let let me comp to something. If you were to let's we're we're sitting here searching for people. But if you can't serve for people, you try to change the process. How what's what states should the party be working hardest? In to try to you know, there's the mindset of just figure out how to deal with the seven states that decide this election, or start thinking about where's the demographic headed in in the decade of the twenty thirties and start worrying about that. What would you be advising Democratic Party operatives to be focusing their efforts when it comes to which states to be targeting, which constituency groups, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Barbick Texas is kind of an interesting example because that was always a great blue whale for the Democrats. It's clearly slipping out of reach. And why is it slipping out of reach? Because they're basically losing altitude among the group that they thought would you know, in the end turn Texas towards the Democrats, which is the Hispanic vote, right, So you need to figure out why is there, you know, and what can we do about it? And if you can't start appealing to these Hispanic working class voters in a place like Texas, your whole political, long term political strategy starts to fall apart. So, I mean, that's not the only state you want to work in, but it would be an interesting example of a state where you should really take seriously that you know, you should be more companited there. And there's a variety of other states where I mean, you could argue that pick a red state at random, where the you know, purple purple, and then red state where Democrats don't have a prayer of electing a senator, right, you know, pick out one or two of those and figure out, well, how can we crack this case, because if we can't crack that case, we're never taken back to the Senate. It's not it to me.
Speaker 1: Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, those were you know, shooting Nebraska and Iowa provided two or three Democratic senators my whole life up until the last uh right enders.
Speaker 2: Working in those states. Basically you're talking about finding you much better among the white working class because that's the only way you're probably going to be able to elect senators there. But in Texas it would be more like the Hispanic work. So you put those two together, and I think those are that's a basket of targets you could start working harder on. But if yeah, if you just stick to the big seven so called I think that's you're just working at the margins. I don't think it really focuses your attention on the things, the big things that need to be sold. You're just looking, oh, we just we just make a marginal improvement here or there, and you know, we're back in the game.
Speaker 1: I've contended that one of the bigger mistakes Democrats are making is walking away from Iowa as a presidential selection state, because I think Iowa at a minimum forced party operatives to at least learn how to talk to working class white people.
Speaker 2: I agree, agree, yeah, I mean, I mean, people forget it wasn't that long ago when Democratic presidential candidates used to carry the wide working class. I mean, wasn't that well, you know, I mean the big spike was in twenty sixteen, but they were losing it even before then. But it was just there was all these like what we now think of is pretty red Midwestern states where Democrats regularly with carry the white working class at league just by a little bit. And because they're getting hammered so badly among that demographic from those states where the ruins so large, they don't have a lot of chance, and of course, you know, you try to make that up and into some extent they have a white college educated voters. I mean that's I mean, why are the Democrats even competitive and wisconsints because of white college impicated voters. That's really that's really it.
Speaker 1: What why do you think the Wisconsin has stayed more competitive than Iowa or the Dakota's.
Speaker 2: Well a, there's more white college educated voters, but I mean it's just a mix of that thing, right, They're just more of them, and they moved pretty sharply in the Democrats direction. The second thing is that there's more than some of these other states, only more than Iowa. I think there's kind of a residual populous working class. You know, I remember the Democrats, they weren't so bad, you know, the kind of populist economic edge, which I think still helps them. But I think logically that edge is going to decline election over election because some of its generational, and it's probably going to get win. Its recently going to go away. So you know, they need a different formula to reach the newer working class voters. And obviously it's fool's gold to rely on how well they're doing them quite college voters, because it's just not enough. We're always going to be in a nice edge, and if you want to actually have a solid not just sort of for it for a US, not just like fifty to fifty chance. If you want, like to regularly win Wisconsin, then I think you have to take seriously, I do you do much better among white working class voters. Forget about the white college voters. I got to vote for you in I think, and you've got to get out the black I mean, look a look at what's happening with the non white working class vote, and a lot of states like Wisconsin just to show up. It's just not showing up. They don't like the Democrats, they don't care about them. You know, there's increasing Hispanic presence in some of these states too, But it is remarkable how unenthusiastic black working classes.
Speaker 1: What did you make of the fact, you know, one of the other weird ways that Democratic strategists are trying to take they look at the twenty twenty four result and think, well, it's where we campaigned we did well, and where we didn't we didn't. Meaning what do you think of the fact that Illinois and New Jersey right were four and five point presidential states? But which if I had told you that in isolation, then that would have probably made you think, oh, well, then Trump must have won Michigan by ten but he didn't run, right, So what do you make of the fact that wherever Democrats didn't campaign, they did worse and at least did their seven states they held there they basically were that What does that tell you?
Speaker 2: I think the top of mind reaction to the parties at this point is not good for the Democrats. And yeah, campaigning matters. You pour enough money into a given state, you probably moved a needle somewhat. But it just shows that the baseline party preference in a lot of these states is turning against you. Right, you don't campaign in Illinois. Uh, and that's what winds up happening. I mean that should tell you something, Right, there's a lot of voters out there who will show up in a presidential year without too much feeding them over the head, and they don't like you very much. So because you know, I mean, the issue really, I suppose how do you interpret this matter of persuasion or mobilization. We spend more money, we mobilize more of our people. We spend more money, we actually like move some of the people who otherwise saying why not give Trump a chance? We actually managed to persuade some of those people not to vote to vote for Harris. It's not a solvable problem. I mean, we I think the data suggests that, you know, the specifisticated analyses overall, at least the tribute three quarters of the change to persuasion and one quarter to mobilization in this election. But it would depend obviously on the state. But I would not say it it's a I mean, I guess you could infer from that, well, if we campaign hard enough everywhere, you know, and we if we did so much better and swing state X as we can't paint hard and spend a lot of money as opposed to an Illinois California, and that just means we spent even more money, and those swing states will do you even better. And you know, we don't even need to worry about the fact that we're losing ground and urban areas in New Jersey and Illinois and so on among nonway working class voters. But I think I think that's a temptation among some strategists, but I think it would be would be wrong. I think they should see it instead as part of a general pattern of this realignment we've been talking about, which is problematic for the Democrats.
Speaker 1: By the way, in your walk of your in your professional circles, have you found the following to be true? Because I have, which is, Democratic strategists are to the left of their of the mean voter of the Democratic Party, and Republican strategists are to the left of the mean voter of the Republican.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, no question about it.
Speaker 1: And I think it's a huge problem for the Democratic Party. Well document Republican strategists than are swing voters themselves, right, so it makes it easier for them to understand what would it take for me to find this power?
Speaker 2: Democratic strategists move the Democrats away from the center, Republican strategists moving toward the center. I think that's a significant factor. I mean, we know it's not just a strategist, it's a whole infrastructure of the Democratic Party and of his institutions that are associated with the Democratic Party. They're all really pretty far to that. As a median voter, particularly on top puton issues. So this is uh. And again I think there's not an honest attempt to grapple with that and make the appropriate corrections.
Speaker 4: Right, No, because you'll look at somebody, you'll look afraid of absolutely will. And so I say, I think I wrote a piece one saying, you know, Democrats need to piss more people off and until they do it.
Speaker 2: Well, that is the elect to learn.
Speaker 1: From Trump, right, that could be one lesson to learn, Like you know, and you know, I think about Bill Clinton and I go back and forth, and it's like, look, he had a lot of flaws and certain things, but he knew how to He also knew which fights de picked and which fights.
Speaker 2: Not to pick. Yeah, well, back to six Sisters sold John. I mean, people strenuously resist the idea of Democrats need to do anything like that in the in the next period of time. And mind you, they not only need to do it, they probably need to have a whole series of mini sisters. So quite a few a bunch of musicians.
Speaker 1: Let me get you out of here on this topic, which is which gets sort of I love the twenty twenty foot the two twenty twenty five state wide elections this year because in many ways they will show the sort of the Democratic parties both new strength, which is the educated elites that all live in Virginia. That's probably going to make Abigail Spenberger win by a fairly comfortable margin's pissed off also probably help her and all of that. Meanwhile, in New Jersey, where they're going to be replaced, and oh, by the way, they have there's an incumbent Republican governor New Jersey or supposedly reliable blue state. I have a few we're going to see a pretty competitive gubernatorial election because of what we were just talking about here, which is so I guess what would you be looking for for the Democrats to tell you in New Jersey, to tell you maybe it's not as bad as it looked in twenty.
Speaker 2: Four or or you know, in New Jersey.
Speaker 1: In New Jersey, because I feel like New Jersey's I think there's going to be more to learn from New Jersey about the future of that than there is in Virginia.
Speaker 2: I would look at some of those towns where it'll be hard to tell how much of that has turned out and how much of it is persuasion. You know, you had all these Hispanic heavy towns where there were these massive slims or Trump I mean twenty thirty points, so you know, look at that and see, I think it'll be less, you know, relative to you know, previous patterns. But I think that, in other words, I'll probably do better in these towns. But how much and what is that attributable? Are we really reaching these voters. We're just different voters showing up, you know. And I think the closer it is, I think the more you'll you'll find an influence of the vote in those in those towns, right, not in the affluent, college educated suburbs, but more of the working class. And I'm frequently a Spanic heavy towns. That's what I'm got that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's going to be. It's there's only been one poll that showed that one where supposedly Trump has a higher approval rating than Governor Murphy, which some people might be surprised at. But he is at the end of a second term. People wear out, you know, and we've seen that there is some shift going on in New Jersey that New Jersey seems to be moving opposite of the where the rest of their blue state colleagues have been going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can look. I'm old enough, Chuck to remember when New Jersey was thought of as a swimstay.
Speaker 1: So, you know, Illinois, California, New Jersey, we're all in the battleground map in ninety two. All right, and Bill Clinton put them all away pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bill, we need you back, Baby, we need you back.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny you say that. The Clinton brand it, you know, it's funny how it goes back and forth. Ten years ago. I always thought Hillary Clinton history will treat Hillary Clinton kinder than Bill Clinton. But well, if I changed my mind on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say, yep, yep, yep Hillary.
Speaker 1: Is Joe Biden going to go down the Carter road for the Democrats? Is he going to be the name that that does not be spoken at Democratic conventions for about a decade.
Speaker 2: I would say, they'll try not to talk about him. But the problem is that it's going to be this sort of live political issue because people are going to keep getting asked about Well, didn't you realize, you know, you could barely walk and talk at the same time. Weren't you aware of this? If so, why didn't you say something? I think that will put pressure on maybe someone you you talked about this earlier, to break out of the pack and start criticizing.
Speaker 1: There's a developing attempt to do that, right Rocanna Others, Yeah I was wrong or clearly we should have done something, something should have been said sooner. Whatever it is, you think that's going to be enough, or you think you have to be even even more.
Speaker 2: I'd say I'd put it in the even more category.
Speaker 1: So that though.
Speaker 2: Well, not only you do know bull throatedly say I mean I know, if you're willing to say I knew and I just didn't say, I mean, that's that's a hard thing to I mean, I lie. So people want to avoid saying that, but we can't.
Speaker 1: We say, look, I thought Trump was crazy. I'd rather take you know, a guy that might be in a wheelchair over Trump.
Speaker 2: Well, that can't say that. But is that how convincing is that? If I'm like an ordinary voter, It's like, wait a minute, you wanted to see now a guy in a wheelchair, and you were you were like putting your thumb on the scales for that. I don't think so. So I don't think that's so convincing. I think you might want to twin that. Whatever distance he put on the cognitive decline issue with basically being very you know, aggressive, if not brutal about some of the mistakes of the Vibe administration. It's interesting immigration and some other.
Speaker 1: I think this almost makes Pete Buddha Juju's campaign almost impossible to succeed. I think being a Biden cabinet member is going to agree, I agree overcome.
Speaker 2: I said that in something I wrote the other day. I think Buddha Jad's very smart guy, you know, certainly good talker. But yeah, I just think it's like an albatross around is not. I don't think people are going to i.
Speaker 1: Mean talk about irony for the party. He may be their best pure spokesperson.
Speaker 2: Yeah this is, and yet he's got.
Speaker 1: This tarnish to him. And I do think that, I mean, you were there, you know, there's no you can't just say well, they wouldn't let me see him, which by the way, was probably true, right, but that isn't going to be an acceptable answer to the point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I toy with the idea, Chuck, that we're still not really pricing it how bad this is for Democrats, that whole skinned of not being covering up basically that this guy was practically not there for the chunking this present. That's a big deal. You know, people may hate Trump, but you know, people think he's he's up to the he's up to the job, whatever job he's doing, right, They don't think like, what were you guys thinking, you know, for two or three years. I mean, I just think it's it's all these books that are coming out are just more and more documenting it, and it keeps on being a point of discussion and dissection, and more will come out about how much people covered up.
Speaker 1: I think though, that what it really does and why I think it's more damaging than the party realizes, is that it puts an exclamation point on the aging leadership issue. That is all. I mean, Nancy Pelosi is still there, Chuck Schumer is near ab still still taking, still doing this stuff, and so so I mean, logically, who does Chuck Schumer think he is to tell Joe Biden he's not he should pass the baton, if he won't pass the baton, if Naty Celosi won't walk away. You know, this was an entire party that seemed to be more concerned about who's in charge rather than whether he.
Speaker 2: Should and it just undercuts any attempt to be the party of change.
Speaker 1: And really the thing, well, some Democrats look at you and say you're always doom and gloom. Is there anything that's not doom and gloom about the party that you would highlight.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think that there are some people toying with the idea of breaking from the pack, and I think there's certainly more of a realization in the aftermath of the election that there are fundamental problems with the Democrats and their brand that we should try to do something about. I don't think there quite know what to do, and I don't think they have the guts right now to maybe do it, but at least there's that realization. The second thing, of course, is Trump. You know, right, this is this administration that doesn't know what it's doing. They may, in fact, really crash the economy. Voters may in fact, you know, be responding to that as late as the twenty twenty eight cycles.
Speaker 1: Except that's exactly what UK voters did it Literally, the Conservatives had to crash the economy for labor.
Speaker 2: To win, right right, Yeah, So I mean, I don't know if they're not happy with labor now for our country, but raw political terms for the Democrats, the worse the Trump administration is, particularly in economic terms, the better it's going to be for them. So that would be hopeful for them getting back into power. But I think again, from the standpoint of the country and the kind of governance we need, I don't think that's what Streame does.
Speaker 1: So I you know, this is why I continue to be I continue to assume we're going to have a viable independent or third party challenge in twenty eight because of this.
Speaker 2: There's just that there's Okay, let me ask you a question, who do you think it would be?
Speaker 1: And that's the issue is that there's no obvious person. I mean, I was a Bill mcgraven guy the last cycle. I do think a military veteran is the way to go. So the and the messaging can't be I'm for something. It's these guys are broken. The two parties need to time out. Let's let's you know, I'm here to like get to solve problems again, right yeah, yeah, sort of. You know. I think it's the but the and that that's why it feels like a military guy has to be that kind of messenger. But there's no obvious person, right, there is, you know, And I think the only thing I I hold out hope for is that in this current way that the media works, you can go from nobody to somebody very quickly.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That's so that there are there is an opportunity for people that we've never talked about right now throughout this nobody. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the next Democratic nominee perhaps or the next major player in presidential politics and somebody you and I haven't mentioned yet, because I think new is going to be one of the most important things for any candidate to have come twenty.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree with that. It's it's it's used to say a known unknown and we'll see, right.
Speaker 1: Look, I used Pete Buotages as an example, who in twenty seventeen thought the mayor of South Bend was going to be a major player in the Democrat.
Speaker 2: I confess I did not know that, right.
Speaker 1: So, but then again I don't know. Is it the mayor of Ralla, Missouri? Right? Is it the mayor of Orum, Utah? We'll see.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, let's keep our eyes open.
Speaker 1: Hey, Roy, what are you working on next? You got to book a new book in the works.
Speaker 2: I do not have a new block. One thing I'm you know people might find interesting is I'm just about to put out a report with my friend Bick Kallenberg on the legacy of Bobby Kennedy. It's called Bobby Kennedy Liberal Patriot. Now what political leader has been learned from Bobby Kennedy today? And it's an examination of his career and his particular interesting sort of synthesis of liberal and conservative politics that appealed to both black and white working class voters and is willing you know, so what he thought being a Democrat was all about back in the day. And I think it's you know, there's a lot there for people to think about. He's a potential model for a different kind of politics if someone wanted to pursue it. So it's a pretty substantial report and that should be coming out soon, both covering his career and the relevance were to them.
Speaker 1: You know, It's funny that that sixty eight campaign that a lot of Democrats almost still see today is that he straddled He straddled the model, right. He was straddling all the different constituencies, a growing African American constituency, the working class that was skeptical of Democrats doing like he had straddled this fence. I don't you know, I I hear this all the time. Is there something to learn. But I you know, I wonder if it just was the moment and that moment is gone.
Speaker 2: Well, could be, brother, could be anyway, check out the report. See what you think.
Speaker 1: I will gobble it up like everything you write. Okay, So there you go, Roy, great to talk with you.
Speaker 2: It's good fun.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope you enjoyed that conversation. And to pick up on this sort of ideological shift that I definitely think to share a is advocating. It's worth noting that last week this is another trend we saw when you have progressive versus I guess call it mainstream pragmatic. However, you want to decide on how you want to call the non progressive wing of the Democratic Party. Another win in a mayor's race, and oh, by the way, it also feeds into the progressive incumbent mayor of Pittsburgh loss to a more mainstream Democratic candidate, again more pragmatic. I know that sounds like I'm endorsing the guy by calling you know, if you call somebody pragmatic, that's a net positive. But again, the non progressive wing of the party, if you will a win there, right, it matches what we saw in San Francisco, and we're sort of seeing and I think you're going to see this move in the cities. Andrew Cuomo is winning not because of his lack of who he is, but because he's not a progressive, right it's who he isn't And so you're starting to see the Democratic Party sort of flex its muscles against progressives in the cities. Right city governance, progressive governance definitely is become unpopular in major cities, and Democrats are sort of self policing here in these primaries. And what we saw in Pittsburgh, I think is another example of this. One other twenty twenty six note that I wanted to make sure to flag was I've been spending a lot of time telling you about what's going on in that Texas Senate race, because that could be the lynchpin of whether the Senate map becomes competitive between the two parties. Right, if John Cornyn's not the Republican nominee, that changes a lot of the calculus about the Republican's ability to hold the Senate. Well, I have, for I have sort of wondered whether Cornyn would either run as an independent sort of do a Lisa Murkowski promised to cauc us with the Republicans, but not run in a Republican primary. Well, right now, that is not the path he's taking. He has hired Chris Losovita. And if you know who Chris Losovita is then I don't, then you know this is a pretty big deal. Chris Losovita was one of the two architects of Trump's successful twenty twenty four campaign. He really is a Virginia based operative. He's had a lot of success in Virginia. He's lost his share of racist too, Don't get me wrong. He's considered basically a fix it campaign guy. You bring in las Avita to fix a campaign, to retool a campaign. He's been brought into rescue campaigns that were losing. Pat Roberts comes to mind in twenty fourteen. He comes in and within a month was able to get the campaign back together. And he's been brought in before on reclamation projects and they haven't worked. But lot, if I will say this, Ken Paxton has not faced the wrath of a really tough political campaign. I promise you now, if he can survive a Chris Losovita led John Cornyn campaign against Ken Paxton, who's shall we say ethically challenged there as the attorney general of the state of Texas. If Paxton survives that, then he's likely to survive and end up a US senator. But I will say this, we are about to see a next level of negativity in a Republican primary, the likes of which only in Texas would you see something like this, where the belief is it's a one party state and therefore the primary is everything. I'm not so convinced to that, And in fact, one other wildcard in all this could be if a third candidate jumps in and we get basically two rounds of Paxton v. Cornet, because neither candidate can get to fifty percent, and that is another possibility, draining the eventual winner of of massive amounts of cash, potentially leading if it's a Colin al Read sitting out there Democratic nomine running a second time, potentially sitting out there as a viable candidate. But the hiring of las Aveda by Cornyn. I'm not saying Los A Veta would do this, if Trump's wouldn't do this, if Trump said don't do it. So my guess is I'm not going to sit here. I think knowing Chris the way I know him, he might be more inclined to do something if Trump told him not to do it, because he's kind of that, he is that streak in him. But I really don't think if Lasavina knew that Trump was against Cornn, I don't know if he does this. And I do think Trump's kind of neutral in this race. Even though MAGA in Texas may be inclined to be more pro paxtant, I don't think Trump himself is as pro paxton as perhaps Maga might be. So just something to watch for them, all right. I just want to have I'm going to do something that my friend Tony krn high Or does sometimes, and I want to adopt it here. If you're a traffic expert and you live in and around Washington, DC, I would love for you to write into me and explain to me the decision by the district and the Nationals to create new traffic patterns to exit Nationals Park. I'm not one hundred percent against what they've tried to do. For those of you that care, they end up blocking off you can't you can't get on three ninety five, just shooting up South Capitol Street. If you're on one side of the stadium, they sort of force you to go over the Anacostia, go around and get on six ninety five to go back to three ninety five that way, or you could go over the Wilson Bridge. And I know I'm doing really hyper local, but that's why I did it. Here at the end of the podcast, I know my true blue DC folks are listening again in theory, I kind of get what you're trying to do with the traffic pattern, but there are some fixes that could be done, and if you're gonna do it, there's so light cycles when you're trying to get on to six ninety five that could be improved. I'd love for you to do that, but please explain it to me that this is that that there is what instigated this decision to try to create a brand new traffic pattern in exiting the stadium where you cannot use South Capitol Street going towards the city, that you can only use South Capital exiting the city during NATS games? Are you doing this during DC Defenders games? You're going to do this during DC United games?
Speaker 2: Too?
Speaker 1: Again, I got I know, I've got the type of listeners that are probably some of you may work in the departments that help make these decisions, so explain it to me. I'm not I'm not trying to be mister outrage guy about this yet. I'm mister annoyed guy about it, and i'd love to have. Like I said, I think I get what you're trying to do, but I'd like to use the power of this podcast listening audience to explain it to me, and I will share. I will share the answer with those of you that are listening. So with that, I hope you enjoy the rest of your Memorial Day weekend and I'll see you when I upload again in forty eight hours.