Speaker 1: Have you seen that clip of the Brazilian girl. No, there's this, there's this little these kids. There's like this lady named Shusha who's like this huge performer in Brazil, and all these Brazilian kids were trying to get into like a big free concert for the kids, and like they let all these other people in and like all these regular kids didn't get it, Like these poor kids couldn't get in because they let in like industry people like whatever. And so this like six year old girl is outside the concert. She's screamed about how long, how long we've been waiting here? And they letting other people in. She's like, what kind of show, Shusha is this? Let me just play this because this, I think sums up the energy of how different kids are like abroad. Like this kid is like what the fuck? I suppose job? Because I said, you you understand this.
Speaker 2: Is so good. But this is from the age that energy.
Speaker 1: From adults miles we talking about kids. I know, no you do, you see you see it from adults. But they'll be be like I told you my kids allergic to strawberry, and you gave me this jump of juice, you fuck, And then they throw it at a teenager's head. It's like the energy is all in the wrong direction. Hello Internet, Welcome to this Monday morning trending episode of The Daily Zeitgeist. This is the episode we're going to tell you some of the things you may have missed over the weekend, some of the things surely we missed over the weekend because you know, the microphones were down and the news cycle continues. But here we are trying to give you the best. All Right, I'm gonna stop with this. I don't know why I try to like it.
Speaker 2: I was getting into it.
Speaker 1: Should I go even suck when? Welcome to this morning edition of the Daily zeit Geist. I'm Miles Gray. You're intrepid host, and I'm thrilled to be joined today by the Intrepid. I'm gonna just everything is a dodge Intrepid, and I am joined by Francesca Fiorentini.
Speaker 2: Hello, Francesca, Francesca Catherine Fiorandini.
Speaker 1: Is that your middle name?
Speaker 2: No, it's Kate, but Catherine is much more in PR.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kath, I know the way you said that. I was like, damn, well, you got an MPRS name.
Speaker 3: No, it's Kate, It's it's Basically my initials are FKF, which I like to think of just fuck off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because my voice, Oh yeah, like a thirteen year old Hi Miles, Happy Monday, Happy Monday.
Speaker 1: It's not everyone's like, is it black Monday? I don't know. I was only three years old when that happened. But no, I guess if you're comparing the raw numbers, this stock market hasn't found twenty two percent once, just just a tad less than that, but still fucked up. Anyway, Let's first get into our overrated underrated so people can get an idea of where we're coming from. And based on how you're covering your face, I'm guessing you're gonna come up with this on the fly. Francesca, I saw.
Speaker 4: We didn't do the homework, but I haven't because it's Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my overrated And I think maybe Francesca and I both share this one because you maybe this was in the cold open. But honestly, now that I talk about it, just our complaining culture in the US overrated. We complain about fucking all the things that don't matter and none of the things that do. Not that everyone doesn't, but like, we are not built with this like, yo, what the fuck is this ship kind of energy? We were talking about little Italian kids, a little Brazilian kids. They got the fucking fuego. Okay, that's burning inside them, and it's about like it's like Wi Fi's broken.
Speaker 5: Mom.
Speaker 3: I know, I know the high pack. Can you anymore any more? Tokens like, yeah, we are very We're very used to the creature comforts. But like you know, in France, when they're trying to import milk from Spain, people will just like stop the trucks and slash slash tires and just be like no, we defend our dairy farmers.
Speaker 2: And he's just like what yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember even being one of like the last the first time I was in Italy, I was so shocked because a guy was like, usually we would garnish this with an orange, but they came from Portugal and we don't know how they grow them, so we put a lemon. Just so you know, this is different than our user presentation. I was like, bro, I I'm from the land of eating plastic fruit and chemicals, but thank you so much. This is wow. Thank you for taking a stand. I didn't even know it had to be taken.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Maybe little xenophobia as well, but hey, look whatever it is.
Speaker 3: Lily, Like, you know, France was at France also that tried to raise their mean yeah, it's all xenophobic, but you know it's Europe. Uh, France tried to raise their retirement rate. Retirement yeah two, I think like sixty except meanwhile, we are living there, We're talking about social security and we all know, oh that like retirement is now sixty seven, right, Like it's going like I think in like a couple of years it will have hit sixty seven, so it's no longer sixty five?
Speaker 2: What have we done shit about it?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: I mean I'm sure like a French person will go into like a Walmart and see like an elderly greader and be like, oh my god, what crime did they commit? That this is their sentence and you're like, oh no, no, they sorry. They are still also in the process of toiling because this is the United States. Anyway. That's my overrated Did you have an overrated too?
Speaker 3: I mean it's a spoiler and it's not political, but I will also go real political always. But if people haven't seen White Lotus third season.
Speaker 1: Oh I haven't, But talk your shit because we are going to get to that. But don't spoil it because I'm only that episode four because I'm very spoil it.
Speaker 3: But I will say that it's an overrated season and it's sad because I think some of the actors are incredible and the characters had good there was good bones, but the writing was not good.
Speaker 4: This is what I hear.
Speaker 3: It's too bad because I really like White Lotus. I'm digging. I like the soundtracks of season two and three. The third soundtrack is fire.
Speaker 1: All that time music.
Speaker 2: The time music is amazing.
Speaker 1: I can't any of it. Unfortunately, I'm sure what I.
Speaker 3: Do is I go to like, you know, I'm sure Spotify has this. I do Apple podcast or Apple whatever music and you look at someone who, you know, a blessed soul has created the playlist. They found it, so you can get it that way. But yeah, it's an overrated season and it's too bad because like it's part pro posy man and she's amazing.
Speaker 1: I know, but hey, she's she's killing it as like the zanned out woman from North Carolina. I'll say that she is.
Speaker 3: But it's like anymore, there could be funnier lines and she's not there.
Speaker 2: And then the three friends are the best storyline in.
Speaker 3: My opinion, because that's that like sweet spot of this is normal, but they're caddy and they're there's drama, but I just like that. That's like a really good storyline. Everything else is a little bit it's too bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's talk about what is underrated. My underrated is when you go to like a public restroom or restroom at a restaurant, any kind of place, and the default water that comes out is lukewarm. I think that's very underrated. I find that very I like that. I don't like having ice cold water hit my hands. I just it's just a weird thing. That's because I'm a soft ass American and I'm not out here complaining about the real shit. I'm like, this water is too cold. But I went somewhere they only had one faucet. It turned on and it spit out lukewarm water, and I was like, this shit is fucking This feels like a luxury. And I'm gonna stand by that.
Speaker 3: That doesn't see that does not square with your overrated.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, but I'm saying, what's too soft?
Speaker 2: And then a lukewarm water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I just said. That's what I'm saying. I know, I know, I'm out here complaining about cold water touching me. Manos, okay, but I.
Speaker 2: Like it a little loose last manos.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, thank you said look, this is outre because I'm speaking pigeon Spanish that I learned just ambiently in La, not ever taking a class. But yeah, thank you Brian the editor who said, yes, a very Japanese take. It is. It is. It's like one of those things I like because it's considering. It's like a small detail you're considering for the user experience, and I appreciate it. I don't know many people who are out here will be like, ah, it's lukewarm, you know what I mean. I don't know. Unless you like your fucking ice water to wash your hands, I don't. So thank you to that place I went. I will not give you extra business because it was a little bit of a weird time, but the bathroom water, thank you.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 3: I think everything in my house is sentient because I have a toddler, as you know, and so like the towel in the bathroom that she.
Speaker 2: Uses to wash her hands before dinner.
Speaker 1: Is like your dog. No, it is a talking towel talking.
Speaker 2: I mean I am the towel, And it's not just like a thing.
Speaker 1: It just does that shit where your kids wipe their hands all over you, like treating your pants like as a napkin.
Speaker 2: Yo. Why do they do that because it's easy, it's so you know what.
Speaker 3: It was bad because it's it's something you do initially out of like I don't have anything else here, just wiping one here, and then they're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, I like treating my doormat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, fucking Because now I'm really I'm really in that era where I'm like, was he eating? Now I'm wearing all black, like I'm the fucking about to protest.
Speaker 3: No, But that's the worst because all the dust crumbs like show up on the on all black stuff. It's unclear what to wear. I think it's patterns, and I've decided it's all patterns because it stains the most. That's why moms. You're like, why do moms and people in their forties and fifties start to wear just like patterns and like Sparkle number one. It's because we're like half dead inside chapel Roone's right, and number two it's because like we're just there's nothing but stains and crumbs and random spatterings, and.
Speaker 2: So you've got to have it all black.
Speaker 1: Stain cao.
Speaker 2: It is stained camo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've just I don't even I'm so dead inside. I can't even patterns do nothing for me that I'm just gonna wear all black.
Speaker 2: You don't seem to be very You're not a big pattern person.
Speaker 1: Got a big pattern. I do like it. I do like a bright color. But you know what, just treat me like I'm on the New Zealand rugby team because it's all black. Okay, all right, let's take a break.
Speaker 2: And my underrated Oh shit, that's right.
Speaker 1: What the fuck? I'm so sorry?
Speaker 2: So wow, I have one.
Speaker 1: But now I was looking at my stalks and I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's distracted.
Speaker 3: No, no, very briefly, I don't know if it's underrated. Maybe it's perfectly rated. But for me, it was underrated because I was like, I don't really like these. But because I got into the White Lotus mood, I bought the White Lotus Cocktail book that I saw, I buyed it and because this is how I roll. I like to drink anything that the people in the shows I'm watching are drinking. So I have the Downton Abbey Cocktail Book.
Speaker 2: It's very good. That got me through the pandemic.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, and.
Speaker 2: That's very perfectly rated.
Speaker 3: I don't know about this cocktail book world see, but then it just had an Apparol Sprits and I was like, I didn't need a cocktail book to tell me how to make that, buddy, yess, I.
Speaker 2: Will do it.
Speaker 3: And the Apparol Sprits is the perfect drink. I will just say that it sucks to be my My husband is sober, so I have to shrink a whole bottle proseco on myself. No, but I had two of those while watching The Light White Lotus finale and it was it was good.
Speaker 2: It's a very good drink.
Speaker 1: I'm very into this idea that like whatever you see on the screen is like yo, I'm having that because oh I do that since I was a kid, like I remember always seeing shit in movies and TV. I'm like, mom, how do I how do I? Yeah? Like I remember when The Sopranos was on, I would fucking do this shit. Everybody would get together on Sundays and we would eat Italian food and watch the Sopranos.
Speaker 2: See that's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why you realize like the amount of like you know, smoking ads in the fifties or sixties or whatever it was, like that is insidious.
Speaker 2: Like that shit absolutely works on people.
Speaker 3: I don't also got really into the Narco series, but they just drank whiskey, and I'm like, I can't really do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think part of that also comes from the fact that, like if as a kid, I'd be like, oh, look at that thing from the show, my mom would be like, man, we ain't getting that shit. So then I think that built up into me, and then as an adult, I'm like, there's nobody telling me I can't have what I'm seeing on the TV screen. Yeah exactly, And I wild eat Baked ZD fucking three years straight. I give a fuck.
Speaker 2: Just freeze it toge out of the freezer.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, let's take a quick break. We're gonna come back and just just catch up with whatever is going on in the news. We'll do that right after this and we're back. Wow. So the big thing I think that was trending over the weekend was definitely the performance of the stock market and how obviously that ties into the larger economy. Black Monday was trending for days. People were like, there's it gonna be black? Mind, this is October nineteenth, nineteen eighty seven. Again, it fell twenty two points that day. This time it was just more like a just a shitty thud, little bounce back and then falling again. All that to say not great. All I know is I'm pretty sure when the graphs look like the lines are going nearly vertically down, that's not good.
Speaker 3: No, it's supposed to look like a heartbeat. That's how you know it's active and.
Speaker 1: Alive, right, right, right, Yeah, Cause you imagine, like what would they say if it was a flat line for a long time. That would probably also freak out capitalist. Where's the growth?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh exactly, it's.
Speaker 1: Not growing to the point that will consume us.
Speaker 6: All.
Speaker 1: So, yes, the numbers weren't great. I think. Look, I think most people that bothered to take economists at their word throughout this presidential campaign and at the start of the mentioning of tariffs, were like, yeah, this is I think not going to be good. It sounds like this is going to be really bad and will only plunge us further into terrible, terrible situations. And now we have people on CNBC like scratching their heads at what's going on. CEOs and hedge fund managers are currently screaming at the top of their lungs. It's like six point six trillion dollars was wiped out last week and now they're acting like they got catfished by Trump or some shit. It's so weird to see those clips are like this is actually if you think about the prosperity under a President Trump and in this last administration, like we're headed for a new era of American blah blah blah under Like now they're like, what the fuck is this guy fucking doing? Is he fucking for real? We didn't vote for this. I voted for inequality, and now I'm like equally fucked as other billionaires. I don't like this. Yeah, not not great. I think the messaging though, has been even worse around this because now many of Trump's economic advisors are now having to face the media over the weekend, and everyone is doing some form of like this guy isn't falling you silly kids. It's actually fantastic, very very frightening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give him t time, you know, it is.
Speaker 3: It's very divided because anyone who doesn't work for the administration directly is like this is bad.
Speaker 2: Even the people who.
Speaker 3: Launder the administration's lies, Like Ted Kruz is like, well, you know, I don't think dad, you know, the tariffs are good forever, but uh, you know, for a small time, you know, like right, but they're admitting, like everyone's openly admitting that tariffs are taxes on people usually yeah, mostly.
Speaker 2: In fact, that's exactly what they are. It's just attack.
Speaker 3: It's simply a tax, and yeah, we pay higher prices exactly right. Rand Paul is obviously Rand Paul is occasionally right on some things, and he's right on this. But then you got Howard Leutnik, who's out here, and I swear to God, like I like the most you know, I haven't hung around a lot of people who like do that much cocaine, but like, let me, the Commerce Secretary is just giving the craziest.
Speaker 2: Energy right now.
Speaker 3: He's out here and he's like, you know, we're gonna bring these jobs back to the to the United states.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's gonna be automated, but there's gonna be job.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's play that clip because me, Howard Lutnick has been saying so so much double like it's everything, it's it's gonna happen. It's not gonna happen. This is a clip first where Margaret Brennan is asking him, hey, like, just just to start off, the economy looks fucked. The markets are fucking wailing. Do you think there's gonna be any kind of let up? And then he tries to do the thing about no, and this is why it's going to be so fucking good. Here he is, mister Howard Lutnik, take it away.
Speaker 5: Is the administration considering any kind of offset, any kind of subsidy? You mentioned the first administration there was some bailout to farmers to help them deal with the pain from Chinese retaliation. Are you looking at that now?
Speaker 6: I'm not that. I have not participated in any meetings with respect to that.
Speaker 1: No good country is.
Speaker 6: Focused on You realize trillion factories going to be built in America, huge GDP the factories being built in America?
Speaker 2: Are you that takes years?
Speaker 5: And you've said that robots are going to fill those jobs.
Speaker 1: Oh the there go Margaret Brennan then pushes back because he's like, there's gonna be trillions of dollars in factory that we make now immediately.
Speaker 2: The factories that are being built, name one show us.
Speaker 1: Okay, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa? What are you fucking Jacobin? I didn't come on here for this kind of fucking grilling session, do you forget? So okay, go on, She pushes back, that will take years, years, and you are talking about motherfucking robots, sir.
Speaker 5: Yours, and you've said that robots are going to fill those jobs. So those aren't.
Speaker 1: Really automated jobs.
Speaker 6: It's automated factories, automated factories. But the key is who's going to build the factories, who's going to operate the factories, who's going to make them work great American workers? You know, we go to a place of armies of millions of people, well remember the army of millions and millions of human and being screwing in little little screws to make iPhones.
Speaker 1: That I'm sorry, dude, we can't have the wonkafication of like tech industry where he thinks it's Umpah Lumpas singing a song down the factory line, like.
Speaker 2: The screw our little screws in millions of little hands.
Speaker 3: And it's just like he's he's like, you know, behind closed doors, He's like, you know, these Asians with their little hands, it's shinies with their bodies.
Speaker 1: They're better than us.
Speaker 2: That's you're seeing the way they put these fans together.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, I can't believe it. We're screwed. We need people with literally hands in America. Have you seen the hands on us?
Speaker 3: He goes on and he's basically like it's going to be amazing engineers and they're going to be you know, high school graduates.
Speaker 2: And you're like, oh, what is it? What is it? Is it?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: Is it automated?
Speaker 3: Is it a bunch of Americans doing screwing like little screws?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Or is it engineers? Or is it high school? Like what are you talking about here?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 3: It's just it is so nonsensical. It feels satirical. This is the most disturbing clip, and I likened it to being like America is being cornered in like the worst party in the world by a dude again who's like so high on Codd and he's like.
Speaker 2: Yo, man, it's gonna be it's gonna be robots.
Speaker 3: What it's gonna be like high school grad robots, who were also like, it's it's so disturbing.
Speaker 1: Were you at the Calvin Harris Show, like last week, dude? What? Oh man, sir dude, drink some water. Man, you're fucking the corner of your mouth looks like you got wheat paste or something in there. What the fuck is this?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: Later on in this conversation with Margaret Brennan too, she's also like, yo, dude, what's up with like the fucking countries? Also on this tariff less like all motherfucker's using a I because a lot of people suspected they just put a prompt into grock and its spit out this formula. But here he is also talking about how the tariffs are like very genius, and also stop looking at the countries that we fucking really levied tariffs against.
Speaker 5: Stand in the rose garden holding up that chart that you helped make that that wasn't actually tariffs. That was actually confusing to investors because it was some kind of other formula and the countries themselves seemed kind of random, Like, why are the herd and McDonald Islands, which don't export to the United States and are quite literally inhabited by penguins, why do they.
Speaker 2: Face a ten percent of tariffs?
Speaker 5: Did you use AI to generate this?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the idea look.
Speaker 6: On the list off because the idea what happens is if you leave anything off the list, the countries that try to basically arbitrage America go through those countries too.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's the point too, we have to really raise Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: The penguins are gonna arbitrage, They're gonna arm There was one omission on that list.
Speaker 1: I felt like, of all the countries that I kept looking down, I was going to kind of mania, okay, and then I just said, then we just wait, well's where's Russia on here? Oh it's not on there? Oh amazing, Okay, okay, and we're talking about it's every country suns with all this bullshit.
Speaker 2: Dude, what are you fucking I was gonna say.
Speaker 3: I was at the you know, like hands Off rally on Saturday, and there's still like a lot of Putin signs. You know, Trump is Putin's puppet people are on that and it's like.
Speaker 2: You know, uh, it's.
Speaker 3: True, Like he doesn't do enough to dissuade the fact that we all know he's an asset effectively, and Putin is grudging it right now. Yeah, I mean, how you gonna have Like you're gonna have Israel? This is my favorite part. Israel got seventeen percent tariff, which is amazing.
Speaker 2: And you know, some Zionis groups are like, why would you do this? We've done everything.
Speaker 3: You asked, you know, Slash, You've helped up with everything, you've helped just.
Speaker 1: Do everything we've ever wanted. Yeah. Yeah, it's it's a very very jarring thing but makes it so painfully obvious. And also like denying the use of AI when she's like, okay, why the fuck is Penguin Town and Unicorn Island on this fucking list and he's like, ah, no we didn't. That laugh was so guilt ridden. It was pretty funny. Even if he didn't know exactly how it worked, he probably heard and he's like, come.
Speaker 2: On, just explain it. Then then how did you.
Speaker 1: Come Ah, this is this is this is a gotcha show And I didn't agree to any of this. That's probably what he's gonna fucking say. But anyway, Then we had Kevin Hassett, who is the White House Economic Council Director. He was just out here with like the worst fake grin I've ever seen, just purely laughing off like every concern that was being raised to him in a way that was I think even more scary because he's just like so coy. He's like, I don't know, like I just think everything's gonna be better. What are you talking about? People are freaking out.
Speaker 8: I want to show what he wrote this week. He said, the truth is the tariffs are taxes. They don't punish foreign governments. They punish American families. When we tax imports, we raise the price of everything from groceries to smartphones, washing machines, and every other conceivable product President's owned. Vice president last term, Mike Pence said, this is the largest peacetime tax hike in US history.
Speaker 2: Your response, Well.
Speaker 7: We just saw that the Senate has agreed to budget rules.
Speaker 1: He's smiling so big.
Speaker 7: Now that it's going to give the biggest tax cut in history in order to make space for these policies and to not have the runaway deficits that gave us all the inflation and the Biden administration. Then we've got all the above approach where we're reducing taxes.
Speaker 1: This guy is just flailing and it's so hard to watch again them just try and launder this terrible, terrible scheme of whatever. I don't know. This is the other part when we were talking before, I'm like, I'm so back and forth on this. This is part of a playbook. This is like a very violent wealth redistribution scheme. This is all part of a destabilization process. This is all part of making material situations in the US so bad that they can flip a switch to completely change our social norms on us. Then I'm then I see these people out there, I'm like, these people are beyond ignorant, they are beyond stupid.
Speaker 2: I think they're just doing what the thing is. I don't think they're stupid.
Speaker 3: I think they're doing what everyone else in the administration is doing, which is whatever Trump wants to do. And because he is set up his administration and of course Congress, which is very ironic, some senators are even speaking out against him because it's like your entire party has rolled over for this criminal president. They are making, you know, they're trying to put lipstick on a pig. They're trying to roll this turn and glitter and make it shine baby. And I think, you know, during the Bush years, there was always this question we would have sort of consistently, which was like, is this just about the oil and the money like the Cheney or you've got like these true believers like the John Ashcrofts or others who are like, no, we're in a literal holy war and we're going to kill them. I think it's kind of like the broad analysis of colonialism generally, it's like, is this about spreading religion or is this about the money?
Speaker 2: And the answer really is both, you know exactly.
Speaker 3: It's like it's oh, the people like the Jarvins or the people you know, like the cha Months I forgot his last name, but the you know, these billionaires who are also increasingly invested in crypto, they're like, this is all good because if we're creating a crypto national reserve, the dollar gets devalued. People obviously are going to be working for less money. None of these jobs are going to be union jobs. They're going to be desperate. Meanwhile, our crypto schemes are going to rise so it's it's it is accelerationism. It is late stage capitalist accelerationism, and they're banking on the people not doing shit about it, and I would like to argue otherwise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, either way. I mean, like even watching Crypto take a dive too, it's like, yeah, you know, like even though you say it's recession proof, it's still tied to people's financial outcomes, and when they see shit going south, they're gonna be like, well, time to get rid of my digital coins to try and make some real money. It's all very, very, very wobbly at the moment, and we'll talk even more on tomorrow's episode, because the fallout isn't just limited to what we're seeing in the Market's like the coalition of evildoers is also They're starting to get a little bit sweaty here, being like, well, I didn't think billions of die to lose billions of dollars here, what's going on? And even Musk and Peter Navarro were fighting. So hey, we'll see. We'll check in with all of that soon. But let's move on to another big story. As you were talking about over the weekend, there were many, many demonstrations over fourteen hundred demonstrations around the world, not just in the United States but around the world testing Trump. These are part of the hands off demonstrations. And look, you'd say, unless look, if you don't have social media or no people who are out there or engaged in your own community, you might not have known that any of this even happened. I think gil Scott Herron said, he said the revolution will not be televised, and one of the reasons is they don't want you to know that people are getting together to sort of make their you know, displeasure known in very public protesting like settings. And you look around New York streets fucking filled. It looked like the end of World War II or some shit, the amount of people that were just crammed into the streets. And then you're like, oh, yeah, the New York Times probably what's what are they saying? What's on what's on the Monday the New York Times? What are we see in here? What are the Sunday New York Times. The story was about the environmental toll, about the war in Ukraine. That's the front page thing. Huh oh interesting. I mean they did have one photo from one protest at the very bottom of the page. That was like so zoomed in you get no sense of the scale of the protest. It's just like a photo crammed with people with signs, and then it's like, if you want to know more, go to page eighteen. Yeah, okay, okay, okay. Washington Post similar thing. Their story. Their top story on Sunday shout out fucking Jeff Bezos. Their top store on Sunday was about a skier who died trying to jump over a highway last year.
Speaker 3: I mean that's pretty tight. But like if that skier who jumped over the highway had a like fuck Trump sign, they would not cover it at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly. If I'm maybe this's like he was a maga, a maga skier, and that's that's why they're covering it too, because they're like, oh, this guy had a dream to jump over a highway, a busy highway and it didn't work out. They had a little photo at the very bottom of the page also just kind of teasing out what was going on.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, these are some of the biggest demonstrations we've seen, and we've been you know, there's been.
Speaker 2: This narrative of like, you know, are the people with it? Oh?
Speaker 1: It was amazing to the resistance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where's the resistance gone? And like, I don't know, man.
Speaker 3: You guys were the resistance because you actually covered this president honestly, and now that the people are making up for it and you know where to be found.
Speaker 2: And it's not just.
Speaker 3: Like big newspapers, right, it's local news. It is you know, local papers there. I think some of the most inspiring actions over the weekend happened in smaller towns where you're like, people weren't they got you maybe like a couple hundred RSVPs And then you know, a couple thousand people showed up flanking sides of the roads and whatnot, Like that is really important. People are making connections and then you just like talk to folks and they're clearly you know. I think Ken Clippen sign interviewed some people in Madison, Wisconsin, which you know is more liberal, but people are fed up with the Democrats too. There's plenty of anger to go around. It's not just about Trump. It is a lot about Democrats. I spoke at the LA rally and you know, shitting on them, saying Chuck Schumer has to go and everyone very on board with that message.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is That's why it's such a very, very instructive moment to know who is going to capture this energy in the right way, because you can you can see the Dems start shape shifting in the shadows and coming back down and be like, no, we've we figured it out.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: The status quo is bad and we gotta we gotta change it, guys, So like, just come vote for us again. And I just feel like that brand is so tarnished. I'd hate to see it get co opted by some other evil doing force, which I know that's kind of that. These are these moments in history where you, like, you see that the population is ready to fucking put their energy and needs a new outlet, and what are they going to pour into because one of the other options is something can become very problematic and be like, nah, maybe it is autocracy. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's a really good point. I'm actually like a little bit, I'm I'm I agree with you. Like I'm concerned as well, because I think if there were any moment for an established figure AOC to start something new and to make a break with a Democratic party because I do think it is very clear there are too many, too many centrists to go through, too many corporate centrists to go.
Speaker 2: Through to before it is they will.
Speaker 3: Ever give you your your time, your day in the light. And I don't believe in just doing a like we're we're the third party, you know, just a random you know, only when elections roll around, you know, Jill Sign rears her head again.
Speaker 2: No, it's got to be strategic.
Speaker 1: We need to be in Congress, like that thing needs like all this needs to be part of Congress too, because that's where it's lost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there has to be the Congressional Progressive Caucus, which is just kind of meaningless, actually has to pull its weight. And the fact that I think it's Maxwell Frost or I forgot, I get Maxwell Frosts and grecs are confused.
Speaker 2: My bad, My bad, my bad.
Speaker 3: But you know there is some new younger leadership in the Congressional Progressive Caucus, but they got.
Speaker 2: To do shit with that.
Speaker 3: Again, like you said, this is there's a lot of bandwidth. You know, remember, political bandwidth is when people are tired of the status quo. Obama had massive political band with after eight years of Bush, and he really didn't do shit with it, to be honest with you, he was not able to do what he wanted.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 3: That was also the dawn of dark money that David Axelrod did not take seriously and nobody took seriously. Oh, corporations are completely buying our elections. Cool coo cool, And so I'm like, if you're absolutely right, if we don't see some new shit or some real ideas, it's just gonna be you know, a Candae Owens, a Tucker Cralson or someone or someone on the so called left was kind of just as unhinged and untethered and unaccountable to real people as other folks.
Speaker 2: And so I just I worry.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to police anything, but I'm just like, I.
Speaker 1: We got to me that's how. But I mean, that's how people who are looking at like movements and how they can use that energy to further their own goals, like look at this and go, how do we get these people? Because in the same time, too, you have more people who are quote unquote independents or like even Republicans who are like, what the fuck's going on? They're like, I didn't expect this, Like the fact that people are even like why is he doing that? That's kind of new for like, as I'm like, not even a maga criticism, but a questioning because before it's like, yeah, dude, we're losing man, or we're winning. We're fucking brutalizing trans people, We're brutalizing immigrants. Yeah, dude, it's all winning. It's all winning now, and be like, wait, my son's business actually can't function if there are these kinds of tariffs, and then my grandkids have no place to live, and well, why would he do this? And I think having another party that isn't branded as Republican or Democrat allows a lot of people who may have been Republicans or vote Republican to be like, oh, yea, I'll vote for this thing because they're not going to say I'm voting for a Democrat, like just.
Speaker 3: Because the Democrats brand ultimately has been just literally what Chuck Schumer says, which or and James.
Speaker 2: Carbill wait around they dead, and then in a.
Speaker 3: Few years people like, hey, Democrats are looking pretty good and that is a horrible strategy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we've shown it doesn't work. Save I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe they're also praying for another global pandemic like the bird flu. Well, and you know, we'll recess it sate Joe Biden again if he's still around. Like this is the you know, the dead end spiral of I mean, honestly, like a party that's kind of circling the drain and has been for a while. It's just a bad brand in every way, shape or form. They don't have vision, you know. And while we are then the majority, and we are right, it is true that we don't have vision. It is true the Democrats are lacking their leaders or don't know good leaders.
Speaker 2: When they hit him in the goddamn face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or told when someone does emerge by other people with interest in the party, like now, I can never be that person, like and I'll tell you why, and like we have to do everything we can to suppress that purchase.
Speaker 3: And look at the people that they've Eric Adams is going to be the future orongagey Gavin.
Speaker 2: Newsom is going to be the future.
Speaker 3: Which honestly, my favorite arc in this whole moment is that Gavin Newsom is burning any possibility. I mean, he's gonna try, but like people are not happy and excited about him. Like I had to play Jane Fonda critiquing Gavin Newsom to my mom for my mom to be like, I don't know if I like Gavin Newsom anymore, you know, because like she loves Gavin Newsom, and it's like, okay, but we can do so much better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like look past his slicked back hair. Okay, no, he's an actual piece of shit. So yeah, very interesting times. But again, like when we talk about where is the resistance and all this stuff, it's just that again the media just hasn't been covering it because as we've seen, like there was the People's March on Inauguration Day and they're like it wasn't even as big as the Woman's March in twenty seventeen. The resistance is dyed. But again research shown there have been more than twice as many street protests in February of twenty twenty five then February of twenty twenty four. These are these things are increasing, like they are increasing in number, but again they're just not being talked about. It's weird because maybe the billionaires on the newspapers. Right, let's take a quick break. We'll come right back and talk about good news for people with receiving hairlines like me, because Walton Goggins, We'll be right back and we're back. Uh, you were talking about it. The White Lotus season finale occurred last night on while I am very I think I'm only halfway through the season, and I think I'm only halfway through the season because I'm not excited to start the next episode. I'm like, all right, get talk. Why did you leave that blamer out full? Dang, Like That's why I'm right now. Anyway, all that to say, the finale happened, I have texture as where people were like, what the f like mixed reviews. I'm seeing people be like, whoa, that was fucking wild or some people like that was fucking full of plot holes, and I do not like it. One thing, regardless of what you think is the New York Post is like they posted some shit they said receding hairlines are suddenly sexy thanks to White Lotus hunk Walton Goggins, and then like said by a bunch.
Speaker 3: Of New York Posts, fucking old crust journalists too like got famous doing upskirt shots and.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, are like, yeah, we're back.
Speaker 1: Baby, We're back, Baby Goggins core. That's the new fucking way I dress just big linen shirts, button opened up, some kind of weird amulet necklace. But I guess they're pointing to the fact that social media has so many people just posting how horny they are for Walton Goggins. So then they're like, yeah, okay, therefore ipso facto receiving hairlines are hot. This is the Walton Goggins effect and you can't do anything about it. Yeah. I just once said quote, I love Walton so much. He's half forehead, half teeth, and yet it all works. The man is hot.
Speaker 3: She's got a lot of a lot of Steven Tyler energy, Like.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, yo, yes, that big ass mouth.
Speaker 2: It feels like just the big ass mouth.
Speaker 3: First of all, I think it's important to understand that it's not the receding hairline. It's everything else that you just said it is. He's looking very good for however old he is. His body's right, it's the button down, it's the amulets, it's the you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: They like the confidence of a Hollywood star.
Speaker 2: The confidence of a Hollywood star.
Speaker 3: It is his little like you know, dimples, he is an attractive man y, but but he's definitely.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I look, I got daddy issues, and I was not into him.
Speaker 3: I thought he just looked crusty, like he looked hellicicrusty, yeah, tired. If they had given him like, you know, if his storyline had been different and he wasn't just sort of an anxious wreck the whole time, I might have been like, you know, hot, hot.
Speaker 1: Hot, But yeah, yeah, yeah. I think a lot of people are just look they Walton Goggins is just big right now. The people are really all in on that. Someone said, scientifically speaking, Walton Goggins is the hottest weird looking guy or the weirdest looking hot guy that ever lived. Uh yeah, I don't know. Again neither.
Speaker 3: He's just he's just an attract He decided to not shave his head and grow and grow like a you know, go tee the way a lot of men with receiving hairlines do. But you can pull this gets pulled off in Italy. I lived in Argentina, gets pulled off there a lot. Just grow it a little bit long again, the amulet, let.
Speaker 1: It wave around. I think exactly a lot of people later on the article are just like, no, it's because he has charisma and he's confident exactly. That makes no matter how you cut it, cut it or slice it, that works. And I think that's one thing I was always told when I be like, like, I remember asking my grandpa. He's like, he's like, how many girlfriends you got? And I'm like, I don't have any girlfriends. He's like oh, And I was like, what do I do? He's like, just be you. He's like, just be you. He's like, that's that's the secret. And I was like, just be me. He's like, but I'm not tall like the other kids. He's like, you're funny. Do that and ye and my ticket to the bottom. Y'all just being funny. Yeah know what you.
Speaker 2: Look like, Miles. You can't just be like, oh, then I was funny to make up for how.
Speaker 1: He No, not even that, No, not even that, not even that. Well, you know I'm saying. When I was younger, I was you know what I mean, Like I had a very awkward stage and I had braces and my Shiit didn't really start popping off to like my twenties. I feel like, you know what I mean, I had this like I was like this little kind of rat kid. I love my inn rat kid though, I honor you. But yeah, Walton Goggins, I think the secret there is just he's a he's a good actor, and he's funny and he's look y'all should watch the early episodes of the Shield and tell me if you're fucking with that Walton Goggins. That's how we'll really know, because that's pre that's pre veneers and pre plugs. Walton Goggins, Okay, let me know where my day was at, you know what I mean. Yeah, he's just yes, yes, yeah, yeah yeah, different time, and that's when he was just a very interesting kind of character actor. And then over time I think he's just become this heart throb. Oh yeah, Brian that saying he's like, I guess people forgot how muffkers were thirsting over Tony Soprano. That was an era too, when people were really feeling the Tony Soprano. Look.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was the tender moments with Carmela for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: But also he's just like a he's an Italian womanizer, right, It's just it's all it's nothing but confidence.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, nothing but confidence and unleashed horniness. Uh that's I think what people are responding.
Speaker 3: To Woggins is sorry, last things. He's just an attractive guy. Stopped trying to He's not ugly.
Speaker 1: It's just the I know, it is just weird. That's already written in this like the con the perspective has already fucked up where they're like, yeah, who could who could love someone with their receiving hairline? Unless you're Walton Goggins. Sure, I guess. But anyway, good news for the news the guys at the New York Post or the receiving hairlines who gained just a little bit more confidence from Walton Goggins. So in that way you've done a service, although we don't need more people with more confidence at the New York.
Speaker 2: Posts and the Hoggins.
Speaker 1: Uh gog my dog. Good to see. Uh all right, well, those are the things that we're trending over the weekend. We will be back tomorrow with a new episode and even more news and analysis and screaming and laughing, all of it together in one package. It's the daily Zeitgeist. We will see you then, but until then, take care of yourselves, take care of each other. Get your vaccines, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you then. Bye bye,