Speaker 1: Hello, Texans, welcome to the program.
Speaker 2: Can't wait for Sunday, and much going on as he's out. Shire Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee for the Houston Texans. That means he wins the club awards, So each club has a representative and they all go into a big contest if you will to win Walter Payton Man of the Year and JJ Watt won it once upon a time. But there have been so many great nominees from the Houston Texans last year, Jail and Petrea, now Aziz al Shire and I love this because he was disrespected last year and now he's getting some adoration. He's going to be on NFL network if he hasn't been already. I'm sure we're going to get him on here soon enough. So that's cool. For disease, plenty of injury news to discuss. Some good like Will Anderson Junior and a lot of other guys back at practice today after being DNPS yesterday limited but back now. Kamari Lassiter did not practice today with a foot injury. Will monitor that very carefully heading into tomorrow's final status report. Prior to Sunday, the sad news, bad news, Tim Settle Junior on ir now with a foot and that's just too bad. I mean, Tim Settle Junior a big part of that defensive tackle rotation. So it's going to affect the strategy a bit, maybe more than a bit. Tim Settle big part of that attack up the middle, big run stuff or able to rush the passer as well. So we'll find out how the Texans handle that soon enough. But a lot to cover as we get ever so closer to kick off Sunday night in Kansas City.
Speaker 1: That's right, Sunday night.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what I'm gonna do with myself on Sunday all day because I'm ready to kick this thing off at noon.
Speaker 1: Please.
Speaker 2: I could do it tonight, but they can't. So let's do it Sunday night. I guess that's the time, Johnny, that we have to play this thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm so.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy about Week fourteen for a number of reasons.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: One of the reasons that bothers me about weeks five through fourteen, what is that different teams are on buy So the records they haven't played all the same games. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, So they're like, well, they've only played eleven games, they've played twelve. So Week fourteen is the last buy for teams. Oh good, yeah, so that's it. So everybody, after this week we'll have thirteen games played.
Speaker 1: This is when we had the bye last year, right, yeah, Week fourteen we had to wait.
Speaker 2: All the way were easy and then you had an early buy this year because that feels like a thousand years ago where we have that weekend off it. Yeah, and here you are and the season has such ebb and flow to it. My gosh, you know, we talk about it in training camp. It's a long season. It's so true this year because the different narratives that have taken hold, right, zero to three and then oh you want a couple and you can get back to five hundred, No you can't, and then maybe you can just know you can't.
Speaker 1: Three and five, and now we have four games in a row.
Speaker 3: If this thing turns, this season keeps turning the way that we'd like it. You know, win against the Chiefs, you know, doing some good things down a stretch, getting into playoffs, et cetera. Peep behind a curtain down on our service level, down my locker room. The Texan have put up they put up players of the week, they put up a banner. If they win, they win, put them a banner. And theny have offense, even special teams, and they put up a picture of the guy that is player of the week. Sometimes there's players of the week, et cetera. And so I was going by and I was looking at it, and the very first one is week four. If you go back to Week four, it were up on Tennessee just six to nothing going into the fourth quarter.
Speaker 1: That's what it was.
Speaker 3: Huh, six to nothing going into the fourth quarter. So I look at that, and then a couple of them down the road. There are just two. There are two spots where you look to me that kind of stand out more than anything. That's one, it's we're oh and three. We're tied for the worst record in the league. We're only up six to nothing on the other oh to three team, not only in our division, but in the NFL. Fast forward five games, we're three and five and we're down twenty nine to ten against the Jacksonville Jaguars going into the fourth court.
Speaker 1: I can't even think about that. I got nervous hearing that.
Speaker 3: I know we're getting out and now you have Sunday night, where you win the ballgame, you have a ninety percent chance of making the playoffs. And even if you lose, and my obviously, you know, my hope is not to lose, but you're even a fifty three percent chance at that point. But you have an opportunity against this team that you're facing, against this quarterback, that tight end, that coach, to make a statement, and you're not gonna have to wake up on Monday and see the tweet of Andy Reid going, how about those chiefs in the locker room like, no, remember how we killed the outfield song? Josie was not on a vacation very far away. We killed that two years ago. I'd like to kill this one. I do not want to see the tweet of the video of Andy Reid walk in the locker room.
Speaker 1: How about those chiefs like, no, let's end it. So there's a on the line.
Speaker 3: But as I was walking by this morning, those are the two moments that stood out. And how when it's six nothing against the Titans, just think, man, what if you throw the ball of the flat, you trip, you fumble, and Jeffrey Simmons picks it up and runs it all the way back into seven to six, Like, how does the season change? You know what if Davis doesn't bring you back in that fourth quarter, it's the Jags. You know what if Matthew Wright pushes a field goal right against the Titans and you gotta go to overtime. I mean all these different things. Now you can go on the other side too. You know what if you tackle Baker Mayfield, if you don't fumble or have three turnovers in the fourth Jags, you know all those things. So wherever we were supposed to be, I think we are if that makes if that makes any sense.
Speaker 2: But you just said it, these close games and you were on the edge of a cliff and they were able to not get pushed off. And Demiko Ryans after the winner of the Colts the next day, clearly wanting the team.
Speaker 1: To play at a higher level.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's another level that they can get to, maybe a couple and this is fine. They love winning, but they want to play better. They know they can play better than that. They know they can make the game with zero doubt in the final few minutes instead of we're really up against it here, it's another crunch time moment.
Speaker 1: You know, fourth down, we got.
Speaker 2: To make the stop or run out the clock, whatever the case is, because it's been all like that in these four wins, all doubt of the wire. Now for us, super exciting, heart stopping. You know, I'd like a boring one mixed in a boring win, like, Ah, you're up three scores, let's have some fun in the booth. Nope, it's high pressure. But look, I live for this stuff. We all do. It's great. And here we are going into the biggest game they've played in a long time. I don't know how to categorize it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I could say that the Colts game at the end of twenty twenty three, that's a bigger game. You're going for the division. Ye, But there's something about this playing the Chiefs in this context.
Speaker 1: Well what about last year? Mark?
Speaker 2: Yeah, last year was big two, No question, you were on the edge of things last year. There was a time last year where I thought the wheels could come off down the stretch, right when you lost to the Titans and you had to beat the Jags going into the by, and you did. But you come out of that by, you have to beat the Dolphins because my gosh, you have the Chiefs and the Ravens coming up. And this is a very much better version last year of the Chiefs and the Ravens. And as I say that, you know, everyone's talking about the Chiefs and they don't do this well, they don't do that well. Are you kidding? They are circling the wagons big time. Kansas City. This is it, this is the playoffs start today. That's what they'll tell themselves, because it's true. For all these teams that are fighting for spots. There's one big difference. Yeah, I think one big difference from this year and last year. What happened is we were driving home after beating the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 3: Do you remember driving home or driving home? There was an afternoon game in Denver we won the division and the Broncos beat the Colts and we won the division.
Speaker 1: Thank you. You just clarified it.
Speaker 3: That took a lot of pressure off what was going to happen the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: In some sense.
Speaker 2: I even said at the time, I thought that the fact that you had the division wrapped up even before that clinching moment, you felt like we've got the division even weeks before that, You're gonna win the AFC South for god conclusion. Look, they'll never say that. You shouldn't think that as a player or a coach or whatever or anybody involved with the organization. But it was in the wind, sure, And you're right. The pressure is not the same as you're gonna miss it if you don't play well down the stretch.
Speaker 1: Here, play really well, you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna miss and you were out of it, and now you're in it, so stay in it and keep going. So the pressure is really on in a different way. And I thought that's why one of the reasons anyway, Now I could be wrong about this, but I thought that was one of the reasons why they weren't achieving at higher levels because they had the division wrapped up. But you got to be one of the good teams where forget the division one seed, two seeds, let's go.
Speaker 3: We have a certain standard in the way we play. We're not going to step away from that standard, I think. And again, things can change and be different depending on whatever happens. But I felt like we went into that Kansas City game with not a whole lot to lose because we had won a division. Okay, but hey, we can beat the Chiefs, and you beat the Ravens and may we could be looking at a one seed, two seed, three seeds, you know whatever, you know better than the fourth seed. But that didn't happen. And then the worst thing happened. We lost Tank.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: And when we lost Tank, it felt like the momentum of the season just went. You could just see the mental anguish on everybody's face and it really showed itself visceral reaction.
Speaker 2: Yes to what at the moment, it was devastating because of how loved and beloved he is by the players, fans, everybody. Right, it just felt like all the air went out of it. You knew it wasn't over. We already had the division, right, we just said that. But there you were at Kansas City, missed the extra point after a Tank touchdown and unable to that was it right? You missed the missed extra point and then you're not able to get over the hump in that game. And now you play the Ravens four days later on Christmas and just just never rebounded from the Kansas City game. You lost twice. You lost to the Chiefs twice because you lost to the Ravens. You had nothing in that game other than the Lassiter's great hit on Derreck Henry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the other thing that ended up happening. You mentioned the Tennessee game. I think one of the biggest things this season happened in that game. And we may do but Jalen Petrie tours Peck in that Tennessee game.
Speaker 1: It's a big one too.
Speaker 3: And we played that Chiefs game. And in that Chiefs game, we lost Shack Mason two plays in. Even though Shack didn't play exceptionally well, they still you're starting right guard. Then we lost Tank, and then we also lost Jimmy Ward. So on top of losing Petrie, you've now lost Jimmy Ward, and then you lose Shack in Tank and in that Chiefs game as ease had been suspended. So if you think back to that first chief game, we it was stretched pretty thin. Yeah, and I think just having Jalen Petrie back, you could see it Sunday against the Colts. He's blitzing, he's making plays against the run, he's not going to pass away from Pittman. He knocked a big third down pass away from downs that was huge in the fourth quarter. Having Jalen Petrie on the field, there's just some guys that you have to have on the field, and he played one hundred percent of the plays against the Colts. Having Jalen Petrie on the field is so key.
Speaker 2: Somebody asked me this morning at six am pickup hoops, how many Pro Bowlers on the defense, and I thought, well, Petree missed a little time here. He's caliber though, he's Pro Bowl caliber. Yeah, and look, I don't care if he's Pro Bowler or not what he means to this team. To back up your point, but I would say when you talk about caliber, obviously Stingley is all pro. But Lassi bullot ye. I mean, come on, three guys' secondary calliber danil will. I mean you've got one, two, three, four, five six, right, Nick, Well that's I was telling you talker to Yeah, okay, I mean on the offense, I think Nico's the one. And then after that, you know, there's so many great offensive players in this league, and this team offensively is just starting to rise right now. So we'll see what happens down the stretch. But I thought, defensively, the love they're getting right now so interesting, and that plays into something I want to talk about here, Johnny, because usually at this time we have the general.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna talk like this the rest of the show, but we're to.
Speaker 2: Lose our voices imitating John McLean.
Speaker 1: But he had a tweet yesterday.
Speaker 2: He had a tweet about this being one of the three best defenses he's ever seen in Houston, and he includes he says, this is the best Texans defense he's ever seen. You can debate that, but okay, I know he still have five games to go here, Sure finish it off. Sure where we are right now, it's big. Where we are right now. Great, because we talked about this before. The twenty eleven defense didn't really become bulls on parade until the final six seven games of the year. They really solidified that. The seven sacks against Jacksonville, holding Atlanta out of ten. That was Matt Ryams slinging it and you'll hold them at ten points here, and what they did at Cincinnati making the big stops when they had to, and the rest of it. Obviously the playoff game against Cincinnati here, But what about this, he said, the ninety three oilers and the love you Blue oilers. Right, So those are the top three defenses he's covered in the City of Houston, And I gotta say, Johnny, statistically, right now, it's going to be hard to beat this one. Now, Love Your Blue, I mean, my gosh, hall of famers galore, and you got Bethay, and you got Curly Colp and you got Robert Brazil. Right, You've got incredible, fire breathing dragons on that Love You Blue defense. And in ninety three you got the Buddy Ryan and coached team did loaded right. But you know, statistically, when you look at where they finished in the league, and I know that's not everything. In ninety three, they didn't get to where they wanted to go. In fact, in ninety three they made that NFL documentary NFL Network Houston ninety three, which is I highly recommend that just from a historical perspective into Houston football and media too, and anything you like about Houston. It really paids a time capsule picture of the market as a sports town in that era, right before the Rockets win their rings and all of that early nineties and the Oilers how big they were, and then it fades instantly after that because ninety three they lose to Montana, then they're moving and the rest is history, paving the way for the Houston Texans. But in ninety two in yards third and in points ninth. In ninety three actually better in ninety three, Okay, third in yards, fourth in points. Boy, that's pretty strong right there, and they were able to get into the playoffs. They hosted Joe Montana and the Chiefs and lost.
Speaker 3: That defense Sean Jones, William Fuller, I mean they got after it.
Speaker 1: Chris Dishman is secondary.
Speaker 2: Joe used to fill in on the Jim Rome Show and come in to Sports Radio six' ten and do his spot. There he was that talented That rome would have him fill in as a.
Speaker 3: Host that, DEFENSE i, mean Obviously Buddy ryan running at. Defense they were, animals AND i felt like that defense Kept it's interesting BECAUSE i Think buddy was the wedge on that whole, team but that defense kept them in the. Season because early in the season of ninety, three AND i don't remember the exact, record but it started. Poorly it started very. Poorly in, fact it might have been about four or five games in AND i believe they went To New england.
Speaker 1: And Warren moon got. Benched Warren moon got, benched which was.
Speaker 3: Huge, NOW i was in college at the, time but OBVIOUSLY i, kept you, know my eyes on what was going back. Home he gets, benched Then Commander cody gets, hurt so they got to go back To. Warren and then the offense starts. Clicking but it was kind of off from the, beginning but then it was like week, four week, five it started to.
Speaker 1: Click and that's the thing.
Speaker 3: We just talked about The pro bowler potential that's on. Defense that offense had hall of famers, too hall of fame, quarterback Two hall of fame offensive, lineman a wide receiver corp that could challenge any that we've ever seen in this town or. Others the offense was. Loaded so when the offense started getting it, together knowing what they had With, BUDDY i think everybody, thought, oh.
Speaker 1: We're back on. Track, yeah this team is.
Speaker 3: TOUGH i think they ended up having Eleven Pro, bowlers maybe, more and they were wildly talented on both sides of the, ball AND i think that's what gave people a lot of, confidence, Like, okay this is the. Year and then on one afternoon in The, dome it goes sideways and they can't Stop Joe montana in the second, half and the offense kind of slow and that's the thing THAT i think makes it makes this thing great in a. Sense you could play really really well and get to the playoffs and then have a bad, Day you're. Gone like The lions last. Year now they were supremely banged up on the defensive, side but they went fifteen to. Two they beat The vikings soundly in week eighteen to win a. Division they get a bye week and then The commanders going there and hammer, them hammer, them put.
Speaker 1: Fifty five on, them and you're, like seed's.
Speaker 3: Over like you know The ravens in twenty, Nineteen, YEAH i Mean Derek henry went crazy against them in one.
Speaker 1: Game that team was going To Super bowl and they were gonna win it by Three.
Speaker 3: Touchdow there's nobody could play with The ravens in nineteen and they're out in the division.
Speaker 1: Round you turn it over a couple of, times you have a bad.
Speaker 2: Day that oiler, team by the, way one in four one four to start you, have they win eleven in a row and then lose To montana and The chiefs home by. Eight, now what about the cautionary tale of the twenty Eighteen Houston texans who started zero to, Three the last team to start owing three and you'll become the second in a row to make the.
Speaker 1: Playoffs if you.
Speaker 2: Do after starting going, three that team won nine in a, row franchise long winning. Streak i'd love this team to finish off the same, way nine in a. Row if you win, out you're nine in a. Row you tie the winning. Streak, now the cautionary tale is this that team kind of ran out of gas toward the end of the. Year you lost To, philadelphia super close. GAME i, mean anybody could have.
Speaker 1: Had that's one of the best football Games i've ever. Seen it's.
Speaker 2: Excruciating and that two year period between twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen saw some excruciatingly close Losses New, England, Seattle, philly those who are really tough to. Take where you leave the field the offense does with the lead can't hold it in all three of those GAMES i just mentioned down the. Stretch you lose to The colts at home in the regular, season and it kind of exposed you.
Speaker 3: Too that was the scary. Thing like they exposed. You they were able to Find Eric, ebron couldn't cover tight. Ends we're getting lost in coverage and luck and that offense just really exposed.
Speaker 1: Us.
Speaker 2: Yep and then you go into the postseason and you see him again And Jonathan joseph mentions T Y hilton in the clown comment And hilton shows up in the. CLOWN i was actually telling somebody in equipment about that because we were talking about The Loud house and The Stroud, house AND i, Said Nico Collins, STADIUM i, said, LISTEN i don't like those guys at, all because there are numerous. Stories AND i just told him that clown mass story WHERE i thought you're gonna win this game.
Speaker 1: TODAY i, mean he shows them at a clown. Mass you cannot have that happen if you're. Building you have to flatten.
Speaker 2: Them and then they got flattened The texans, did which was really tough to. Take but, look we're riding all those wrongs right, now, RIGHT i, mean we're getting revenge on The horseshoe big time with four consecutive. Wins now you have them again at the end of the regular, season so we'll see again, Here we'll see again.
Speaker 3: Here let's go, yep, absolutely and the irony is that they've beaten us here twenty, well twenty two was a. Tie twenty three they beat us here twenty, one Twenty, uh they've beaten us here a, bunch and they didn't beat us here last year In week. Eight that's Because Anthey richard tapped out on a third and. Whatever so, YEAH i want to say that it was That week eighteen game of twenty twenty three where they brought T Y hilton back to be like their game advantage captain or whatever it's, called and he wore the.
Speaker 1: Mask he brought the mask with. HIM i want to say it was that.
Speaker 3: GAME i want to say it was that game because they brought him back and he brought the mask with him, geez AND i just was, like oh, man that damn. MASK i remember sitting in my. OFFICE i love that he did, that, though because that's like the. Rivalry that's exactly, right is. What and then when they, won it became this this thing of. Lore he wore the mask into the building that he basically owned and own them and they get a playoff, win the only time that we've ever met a division team in the. Playoffs it was such a it was such a wild. Day that team got banged, Up hoop got hurt at some point in, it and we just ran out of gas and The, COLTS i remember they got up twenty one to nothing and we had every opportunity to get back in that, game and we.
Speaker 1: Just stepped all over ourselves and couldn't do.
Speaker 3: It but it's a different football team than twenty twenty five BECAUSE i feel like like last.
Speaker 1: Year we mentioned, earlier felt like when they won the.
Speaker 3: Division not gonna say it took the foot off the, gas but it felt like it did slow down a little bit and they weren't playing at the standard that they had set.
Speaker 2: Well it felt like the top seed was unattainable because The chiefs had that fat. Record so it wasn't like when you were going To arrowhead last year that a win would derail them from the top. Seed they already had like nine whatever they had at the. TIME i, mean they were on their way, now they were winning all these close. Games i'm not saying you weren't trying to win that, game but you knew in the back of your mind getting a higher seed is the only carrot, here, really and what is it really going to do for? You you don't know who you're gonna end up playing Any baltimore is starting to get, hot so it's gonna be really. Hard this is just us. TALKING i don't know how they look at, it but you, know just looking at it as a, fan media, member whatever the case, is it's a very different.
Speaker 1: Situation it's a different.
Speaker 2: Context now you go in and you have a chance, to as you would, say drive a stake into their. Heart you have a chance to put them out a game under five hundred with four to.
Speaker 1: Go, yep their percentage.
Speaker 2: Chances by the, way, side, note what do you think of all these percentage? Chances you, know this is something that ten years ago you never would have. Seen every, win every loss you, Get, oh the percentage chances of you making the. Playoffs BECAUSE ai computes, everything everybody's, schedule how everybody's. PLAYING i hope they take all this into, consideration what the matchups are going to be for every single, team and here's your percentage chance of making it based on these.
Speaker 3: PROJECTIONS i don't put a lot of, stock especially because two years, ago After matdamadul's fifty nine yarder hit the crossbar and we lost that game To, jags no, chance we had like a one percent.
Speaker 1: Chance, yeah so it came.
Speaker 2: Through our lucky ticket came through right, so but look at all the work it till.
Speaker 3: Exactly you had to have The jags with a masterful choke. Job then we had to go down a. Stretch we had to you, know win with Case keenum At. Tennessee we had to go Win indy where historically it hadn't been. Great we had to win that game just to get into playoffs and then get some help From tennessee to Beat. Jacksonville so, YOU i don't, know were all those, things if you put them into a, parlay gonna.
Speaker 1: Happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah if you said after The jaguars, game, hey look here's what's gonna, HAPPEN i think you would have.
Speaker 1: SAID i think both of us would have, said.
Speaker 3: Ah, yeah, right that's gonna.
Speaker 1: Happen but it.
Speaker 3: DID i think there it's fun talking, points to be honest with, you but we say this all the. Time ninety nine point nine percent sold is still one hundred percent not. Sold, Yeah so when it comes to, percentages it's like you're either one hundred percent in the playoffs or you're zero percent in the.
Speaker 1: Playoffs as far AS i look at, it AND i.
Speaker 3: Just look at this, team AND i think the difference just year over, year.
Speaker 1: The.
Speaker 3: Chiefs you, know The chiefs are what they were last. Year in, FACT i think The chiefs ARE i shouldn't say. THAT i think That chiefs are very similar to where they were last. Year last year they were just finding a way to win those one score. Games this, year they're finding ways not to win those. GAMES i think it's a very similar, team If i'm being. Honest so what that's led to is AN afc that's wide, open. Yep AND i think because of, that and because you're starting to play better in all three phases at the same, time it's really making, you, hey wait a, second everything that we want.
Speaker 1: To do is still available to, us now still.
Speaker 3: Available know of you can get to one sea because The patriots have just had such an easier.
Speaker 2: Sketch In denver and you lose the tiebreaker with, them but forget about.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, yeah just.
Speaker 3: Get, In just get. In and this is. Years where are? You are you fearful like the chief and. Raveises, okay you're gonna play The chiefs And raves in the playoffs like damn. It but, okay you're gonna play The Patriots broncos in.
Speaker 1: The, playoffs all, RIGHT i don't. Care, yeah, sure play what, however, whoever, Whoever i'd rather go To New england Than. Denver, YES i would. Too i'm telling you THAT i can't sleep In. Denver, yeah the.
Speaker 3: Altitude Gets, YEAH i can't sleep In denver for some.
Speaker 2: REASON i wake up like yeah all the. Time, yeah talking about that. TOO I i kind of feel. Similarly it gives me a light headache and. STUFF i, mean but you know, what but.
Speaker 3: If we've got, to if you have, to if we have, to we have, to our guys will go show.
Speaker 1: Up, yeah let's do.
Speaker 2: It our feelings really don't matter for Thistun but having said, that maybe some players feel the same. Way they have trouble, sleeping maybe trouble getting used to that, altitude whatever the case, is and you'll just deal with. It they have lost in the playoffs there. Before jacksonville did it once upon a, time as a matter of, fact beating them.
Speaker 1: Out oh, yeah nineteen ninety, six. Famously, yeah the Jag watts Is Woody.
Speaker 2: PAIGE i mean that Was John elwick quarterbacking that team that was number one. Seed, yeah there it.
Speaker 1: Is that's smoke By Mark brunell and the.
Speaker 2: Boys they also lost To pittsburgh they're in two thousand and.
Speaker 1: Five.
Speaker 2: Five, yeah because that's what Enabled Gary kubiak to come here before The Super.
Speaker 1: Yah, yeah, yeah that's, right that's, right that's right. There it is so they can lose at, home this team for. Sure, boy if This bonicks led team can for.
Speaker 2: Sure If hannah's, listening she's, like why are you guys talking about THE p word? Playoffs why are you guys doing? That we're, Not we're just hypothesize and gets Sports Talk.
Speaker 1: Radio it's, okay it's.
Speaker 2: Okay it's all about The chiefs On, sunday and we've got Some Who's better is coming up next For johnny coming up next here On Texans, radio right back into the Hun Day Texans radio studio here On Texans All, access and it's time to Play Who's. Better we've got a lot of different things to go over, today so let's kick it. Off, Okay johnny better Defense Kansas city or the forty nine. Ers you tell me who do you think is? Better you dealt with one very.
Speaker 1: WELL.
Speaker 2: Cj throwy for over three hundred yards against the forty nine. Ers did score a ton of, points but you scored it. Enough and now you've Got Kansas city on the road in their, place AND i know that's a big.
Speaker 1: Factor but in terms of.
Speaker 2: Defense on the, field neutral, situation.
Speaker 1: What are your? Thoughts? CHIEFS a couple of.
Speaker 3: Reasons number, one forty nine ers Without Fred, warner forty nine ers Without Nick.
Speaker 1: Bosa third, Reason Steve.
Speaker 3: SPAGNOLO i Think spags is as good as it is in the league. Historically as a defense, coordinator they Have Chris jones. Healthy Nick bolton is Not Fred, warner but he.
Speaker 1: Is he's.
Speaker 3: Close he's as close as you're going to get linebacker, wise AND i think the secondary With trent McDuffie is. Exceptional McDuffie's playing more outside than he is, inside but historically there really is only one guy that has ever really Given nico a lot of, issue and it's. McDuffie, Now Tyson campbell did with The jags a little bit just because his length and, size but Then campbell gets traded to The.
Speaker 1: Browns thank, You gladstone And Greg newsom couldn't do.
Speaker 3: That but McDuffie's played mostly on the outside this, year so would probably me in a matchup With. Nico and keep in, mind you could play in The San francisco. Game so to, ME i feel like The chiefs have got more pass rush. ABILITY i feel like right now Without, Warner chiefs linebackers are. BETTER i think McDuffie makes the secondary better for The. Chiefs And spagnolo IS i think tremendous and one of the things you, know talking about With Draw. Johnson will hear the interview On friday night what he talked About spags And Devika ryant's talked About.
Speaker 1: Spags there is This spags effect.
Speaker 3: On a, Game like you you kind of, wait, like all, right he's gonna have something a little, different whether it's his, disguises whether it's his, blitzes he's gonna have something unique for the Game sunday. Night The texans have to be ready for pretty much everything and or not get beat by that unique, Thing like, hey it's third and fourteen and he brings or third nine and he brings out some blitz that we haven't, seen our rules can't cover, it and we get sacked out a fueld goal range or whatever the case might be in a close. Ballgame So spags has a way of really putting his imprint on a.
Speaker 1: Game So i'm gonna give The, chiefs The edge and now.
Speaker 2: One, yeah if you look at their, NUMBERS i know they're not having a great season for, them six and. Six, yeah but when you look at their, numbers they're top ten and just about, everything absolutely top third of the. League it might not be, stellar, shining, nice, shiny top, three but it's.
Speaker 1: There and they've made some big.
Speaker 2: Stops and they do have six, wins and you mentioned it, earlier they've lost close. Games, right let's get to the next one. Here i'm gonna phrase this carefully, here bigger fall the twenty twenty Three jaguars or potentially the twenty twenty Five.
Speaker 1: Colts, oh, now The.
Speaker 2: Jaguars and you brought this up in segment. One they were eight and three at one point in twenty twenty three after beating The texans when Matt amandola's field goal bounced off the.
Speaker 1: Crossbar had he made, it it was going to go to. Overtime there was a twenty four to twenty one.
Speaker 2: Win but after that they lose five of six down the, stretch including a devastating loss in the regular season finale To tennessee to knock them out of the playoffs and the. Division as The texans not only won a playoff berth the night, before but they end up winning the division the next.
Speaker 1: Day that was a big.
Speaker 2: Fall, now The, colts they were seven and, one right and at the time The jags four and. Three was that it, yeah something like, that ye anyway or maybe. Whatever they're three games back at that, point, right and, yeah because of the byes and all.
Speaker 1: That so The jags seemingly out of.
Speaker 2: It but here they are tied for the division lead and they're playing each other this. Weekend AND i don't know where it's going with The, colts but they've lost three of four right, Now so bigger fall your thoughts when it's all said and. Done so it's sort of a projection, Here Johnny.
Speaker 3: WELL i think with the twenty twenty Three, jags one game THAT i remember most and keep in mind the twenty twenty Two jags going back a, year they had that run at the end of the year where they you, Know Doug peterson had come in and they really just they weren't.
Speaker 1: Clicking and then the second half of the.
Speaker 3: YEAR i remember talking To frank And frank was, like there was an interception To trevor threw against The, ravens and in throwing that interception against The, ravens he came up to the sideline and it was Like doug basically said to, Him, okay you're ready to follow the plan, Now trevor's like. Yeah trevor had his best games of his career over the next few. YEARS a point in saying that is in twenty twenty, three The jags were now kind of the hot. Team The jags are going to win a, division no questions, Asked. Trevor lawrence is on his. Way they had A monday night game against The Cincinnati bengals and The bengals beat them With Jake Browning Joe. Burrow it gotten. Hurt Jake browning stepped in and beat The. Jags and that's WHEN i was, like, oh this thing could. Happen if The colts lose down to, Stretch look they. Will they lost TO, uh they lost To Kansas, city, which you, know nothing to scoff that they would have lost TO us at. Home that's nothing to scoff that they've got a tough schedule down the. Stretch if they lose a game or, two it's The. Jags jags are eight and. Four it's a good football. TEAM i think the twenty twenty Three jags gag, job if you, will.
Speaker 1: Would be more more of a, meltdown more of a.
Speaker 3: Meltdown BUT i think The colts one will be, remembered obviously because The colts were being talked about as the number one.
Speaker 1: Team, look The cults are number team in. League look they've gotten over all, this they made The Scar. Gardener still there's still the top scoring. Offense Saus.
Speaker 3: Gardner trade trade to first and now you've got a banged up Sauce.
Speaker 1: Gardner you got an offensive score just sixteen.
Speaker 3: Points they haven't gotten over twenty three in the last couple of ball. Games they only got above twenty five against The falcons because they had to go to overtime and they had to kick a fuel goal on the last play of regulation to get to.
Speaker 1: Overtime so, yes.
Speaker 3: The colts going from The darlings trading for Sauce, Gardner, oh it's a definite's gonna happen to potentially.
Speaker 1: Out of the. Playoffs that's. Huge they're very.
Speaker 3: Close BUT i would think The jags just because it was in their.
Speaker 1: Hands, yep it was right there after the game.
Speaker 2: Get beat The titans on the last day of the. Season any one of those games down to, stretch just win, crazy couldn't do it?
Speaker 1: Crazy all? Right next? One all?
Speaker 2: Right best in terms of, toughest toughest or tougher in this case Environment Arrowhead stadium On sunday night in the, cold Or minnesota with the skull chant and all that. Volume or you could throw in a wild card if you. Like, now, obviously the teams have a great deal to do with, this the teams you're. Playing if you're playing A DIVISION iii college team At, arrowhead you'll take. That you're Playing Patrick mahomes At, arrowhead.
Speaker 1: Just Like New. England we're talking about let's go To New england in the.
Speaker 2: Playoffs that'd be. Great if you're Playing Tom. Brady i'm not opting for that. One so what do you think here in terms of? Environment try to keep things neutral as far as the team you're.
Speaker 1: Playing, yeah It's.
Speaker 3: ARROWHEAD i, mean, Look minnesota's intimidating when they start skull chanting and they get, going And Brian flora's, DEFENSE i, mean WE i don't Think i've seen this in a long, time be so outclassed and just out of, it and they fed off of, that and that is a tough.
Speaker 1: Environment now we don't go up there a.
Speaker 3: Lot it's every eight years we go up, there so it's also that part. Too it's kind of just a different environment for. Us SEATTLE i thought would be, louder BUT i understood that night because they had The mariners playing and all. That there was a lot going on for. Them but that's a that's a tough. Environment but to, me It's arrowhead when that place is. ROCKET i go back to the fumble on a kickoff in the playoff game When Dangel lcarter fumbled that ball and they got the, BALL i felt like it was going to fall down on top of. Me it was so incredibly loud and JUST i mean they were they were rabbit at that. POINT i mean, rabbit And i'm, like we were. Done we're cooked at this. Point and it pretty much came to fruition But, arrowhead and that was in the.
Speaker 1: Afternoon But arrowhead gets.
Speaker 3: That and we've been there a few times in playoff games where it starts kind of dusk or gray or whatever it might, be and then because it's later in the, year it turns dark by the. End oh, yeah, yeah, yeah this is gonna be dark from the. Beginning this is gonna be dark from the time we pull up till time we. Leave so we've been there for night. Games we went there For thursday night. Gaming there WAS covid. Game it was it was a weird. Environment but we've been up there. Before we just haven't been able to crack the nut Since october of twenty. Nineteen and that's the only time That i've been up there that we've had that opportunity to. Win so going on To, minnesota we went up, there you, know twice Since i've been, here we've been up we went twice last.
Speaker 1: Year, Arrowhead, arrowhead it is.
Speaker 3: To, me the most you, know intimidating, environment also because fifteen eighty seven are both.
Speaker 2: There to, me of all the Stadiums i've been in when, EMPTY lsu, yeah An, Arrowhead, yeah those are the two that are the most intimidating empty right because you're on the, field you think this place it's about the.
Speaker 1: Rock, yeah that red all that red.
Speaker 2: Too, oh it's, crazy it's, crazy all. Right so that's a good one right. There let's get to another one. Here we all know the best receiver In texans history is The hall Of Famer Andre johnson Is Nico collins now officially the third best receiver in the history of the. Franchise, Now i'm gonna give you the list here of all time receiving. Yards It's Andre, Johnson DeAndre, hopkins Then Owen daniels all, RIGHT.
Speaker 1: O d put up a lot of, yards but it's a big.
Speaker 2: Drop off From, hopkins, obviously, yes But nico is fifth Behind Kevin. Walter and Now walter was here from six through twenty twelve and did a lot of great.
Speaker 1: Things but There's nico at four thousand.
Speaker 2: Yards So nico's gonna Pass Kevin walter like this, week, okay and he's gonna get right Behind Od AND i don't know if he passes him before the end of the, season but he certainly will next.
Speaker 1: YEAR i think he's.
Speaker 2: Third Will fuller would have had a seat at the table had he been able to stay healthy and stick, around but he.
Speaker 1: Didn't he's sixth in receiving.
Speaker 2: Yards now careful because sixth in receptions Behind Nico Arian, foster which is amazing because after, that after that It's fuller With Brandon cook sandwiched in. Between my, gosh then you Go Jabbar gaffnee And. Dalton dalton's tenth already in receptions And texans. History that's incredible considering some of the offenses they've. Had, yeah but it shows you how Much andre And hop And od we're getting the ball And nico gets the ball.
Speaker 1: Too Is nico officially the Third, yeah he's officially.
Speaker 3: OKAY i, mean, LOOK i would have liked to have seen what Will fuller could have done with another three years. HEALTHY i, mean he would have been pretty much, unstoppable but it just didn't happen that.
Speaker 1: Way there's Interesting.
Speaker 3: STAN i can't remember if we posted it OR espn posted, this BUT i think it.
Speaker 1: WAS i think we posted.
Speaker 3: It Aaron foster And Nico collins are the only Two TEXANS i have ninety yards total offense and a rushing touchdown in a.
Speaker 1: Game that's.
Speaker 3: Amazing ninety receiving yards and a rushing touchdown in the same game that they're.
Speaker 2: Doing receiving yard, yeah ninety receiving. Yards, yeah Because arian had those games in. Eleven he had two games where he had an eighty something or seventy five plus yard. Reception yeah, yeah yeah for a. Score so he had That raiders on screen whatever it was so he had A titans and A bucks and maybe A.
Speaker 1: Raiders. Two nico is.
Speaker 3: Three the question to me, becomes and you know how MUCH i love Both dre And?
Speaker 1: DeAndre when does he become? Two?
Speaker 3: Yeah that that to me becomes really. Interesting how long is it gonna? Take is it another two? Years is it three years where he? Overtakes HOP i, mean, Look drey's In hall Of fame and he's number, one and they're gonna stay that. Way it's gonna be very tough to supplant.
Speaker 1: Him does make it to The hall Of. FAME i think he does.
Speaker 3: EVENTUALLY i told Him i'm going to His hall Of fame speech no matter. What so hopefully he makes. It but that to me is the next. One when when Does nico in both numbers and just vibes move ahead Of?
Speaker 1: DeAndre? Yeah AND i mean it could be the next couple of.
Speaker 3: Years you, know maybe he has you, know IF cj stays healthy for seventeen games And nico stays healthy for seventeen, games you, know maybe it happens Where nico has like that one hundred and thirty five reception fifteen hundred, yard eleven touchdown, season uh something of that magnitude and we start, saying, hey, hey Maybe nico is he Challenging? DeAndre i don't, know but he to me is clearly, third and but he's but he's moving closer To.
Speaker 2: HOP i Think hop needed another big year or. Two he's a thousand yards away from Passing. Andre, okay Because andre is eleventh of the all time yardage. List hop is eighteenth currently and about one thousand. Back so that's hard to make, up especially at this point in his.
Speaker 1: Career so we'll see how it.
Speaker 2: Goes And i'm Glad dray got in when he got, in because it is getting harder than ever for these receivers because of some of the names coming up now where you have so much. Competition, Now Reggie wayne's still. Ahead i'm still he's ahead Of Andre johnson on the receiving yardage list and he's not in AND i don't know if he's gonna get in anytime.
Speaker 3: SOON i think what's gonna what's harder and harder going forward is how do you quantify equally amongst the? Receivers, yeah BECAUSE i don't know that we just started playing seventeen games in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: ONE i think that's what the season.
Speaker 3: Was by the, way you're gonna have guys that played extra game coming, up you know soon. Enough you know the number of comparisons some, guys you know when you start comparing like Well Inn Swan Will Liz want played fourteen games for a number of games in his, career, yeah or number of seasons.
Speaker 1: Is there's an exchange rate, here that's exactly.
Speaker 3: Right and so now you're getting caught, in, well this guy had a thousand receptions in his career or whatever it might. Be, yeah he played sixteen games. Here by the, way as a side, note WHEN i said, that it made me, think you realize That Travis kelce has played fifteen games a year for every year of his. Career his rookie year he only played like a play and he was out the whole. Year but starting in twenty, fourteen his second, year he's played fifteen games every single.
Speaker 1: Year that's.
Speaker 2: Crazy he's twenty, second by the way on the all time yardage.
Speaker 1: List nuts a tight. END a tight.
Speaker 2: End, now we do have some tight ends that are up, there Like Tony gonzalez for six but that's you, know he's the. Ultimate, Anyway that's it for this segment coming Up Injury News Houston Methodist. Minutes it's all happening here On Texans All. Access all, right it's the final segment of the night here On Texans, radio and we've Got Thursday night football coming your way Next now on The friday, Program johnny AND i will go over the final thoughts before The texans take off The Kansas City chiefs On. Sunday Demiko ryan's pregame interview on their pregame player interview With ARIONTAE orsii And Greg, bailey and a whole bunch of other. Stuff Jerrod, johnson quarterbacks coach for The, Texans he's gonna be on the show as. Well this is gonna be an awesome program On friday at six. O'clock you don't want to miss.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: Now the news today injury, wise some, good some not good at all With Tim Sedtle junior being placed on injured. Reserver report broke earlier that he was out for the year with a foot. Injury so that's terrible to See Tim Settle junior ON ir. As he's been. Good there's no question about. It you're gonna Miss Tim settle on the inside in your. Rotation you Have Sheldon, rankins you Have Mario Edwards. JUNIOR i guess they could bring Up Junior. Tafuna we'll find out more later about. That, Obviously Tommy togi has been very good for you inside and you might have some other options as. Well JaMarcus ingram has been signed by the. Team he plays. Corner and you Know Kamari lassiter is banged up heading into this. Weekend he did not practice again, today so we'll find out more tomorrow when the final game status report comes out prior To. Sunday and if he's listed as, questionable you're just not gonna know until you get to Late sunday noon whether A lassa is going to. Play but he did not practice today with a foot. Injury Jamal hill's still out with that. Hamstring Jalen read out with a forearm, injury now limited, today As Will, Anderson, Junior Deniko, Autrey Trent, brown And Woodie marks all got back to.
Speaker 1: Practice they're all.
Speaker 2: Limited and as He's Al shier we mentioned him earlier talking about The Walter Payton man of The year nominee. News he practiced full today with a. Knee so let's hope that all those guys can go On, sunday and we'll keep a sharp eye On Kamari lassiter because, man oh, man do you need him? Now if he can't, Go Tremon smith will probably get the start you would, think and they'll handle it from. There, look they've been through tough times injury. Wise this is actually a lot better than they were last year going up To Kansas city in Both december And january when they visited there for the. Playoffs as far as The chiefs, GO dnp did not, participate this is definitely worth watching As Tray, smith their talented, guard out with an ankle And Juwan taylor out WITH tricep and.
Speaker 1: Knee so he's got it high and.
Speaker 2: Low Juwan taylor the right, tackle so we'll continue to follow that. One they're already playing a reserve at left. Tackle and, look they've been able to survive as six and six, goes so we'll see what The chiefs cookoff from there. Now full participation. TODAY a bunch of guys who are full, yesterday but they are all listed with some sort of, ailment including the Quarterback Patrick mahomes with a. Knee but you know he's gonna. Go he's not going to slow. Down he looked banged up against The cowboys On, thanksgiving didn't? He but he always seems to play with. Something he's always hobbling, around and all of a sudden he rips off a twenty five yard run to drive a stake through your. HEART i mean That's Patrick, mahomes SO i wouldn't expect any problems. There george carloftus with a, thumb so, what he's really. Good And Rashid rice hamstring but he's, full so. Okay you, know he's been saddled with injuries but came back recently and he's made a big difference for That chief's. Attack and that is a guy number, Four Rashi rice worth watching On. Sunday and let's hope the text and find a way to bottle him. Up so huge show, Tomorrow Texans Playbook Saturday. Night that's a ten thirty five start ON abc. Thirteen sometimes delayed because of college, football of, course but that's gonna be a big. Shows you get the Full Dimico ryan's, interview you get the Full Nick casserio, interview and some other stuff as, well Like Jaalen nol miked up as a matter of fact on the YouTube page for Your Houston texans right, Now demiko ryans his reaction To kamari And kalen watching video Of demiko playing. Football so that video of those two guys went, Viral demiko's video going at least semi.
Speaker 1: Virals he reacts to their.
Speaker 2: Reaction maybe we should have a video Of kamari And kailn reacting To dimiko reacting to the nevermind never. Mind we'll address that. Later but these videos do really well on, YouTube and they're fun to, watch AND i know a lot of people repurpose, them and that's fine because it's all Good texans. Content texans And Chiefs sunday, seven twenty four to twenty With Texans, countdown presented by De Los. Pescil all, right don't have time to be fair To Houston methodist. Minutes we're gonna get to that. Tomorrow have the full layout of that in a three hour block. TOMORROW i just gave you some of the highlights of. That so be listening and be listening To area forty five after that, Tonight Thursday night football following this.
Speaker 1: Program have a great, night, Everyone Go. Texans