Speaker 1: It is now twenty five years since the late Trenley Dean and I journeyed by train from Washington, d C. To Grand Rapids, Michigan, to be joined by Philip Jay for a meeting with the mayor to gain his approval for a water fluoridation experiment. There were no signs of apprehension, of daring or of pioneering. There was no suggestion that we were being foolhardy in subjecting a population of one hundred and sixty thousand people to a procedure which might have either short or long range hazards. We were merely replicating Nature's best based on an extensive background of study data in Nature's laboratory. In the United States alone, some seven million people in one thousand, nine hundred communities had, throughout life used drinking water which was naturally fluoridated with a fluoride concentration of zero point seven parts per million or more. We knew what too much floride did, We knew what too little did. We knew what the optimum amount was, and we had reassurance that one part per million fluoride in the drinking water had the same biological effect whether it got there from flowing over rocks or from a feeding machine. Twenty five years ago, there were no anti fluoridationists to becloud the issue or distort our efforts. The opponents of fluoridation act collectively as merchants of fear and doubt, implicating fluoride as either causing or exacerbating virtually every disease and biologic malfunction known to mankind. They discovered early that the public referendum method afforded them excellent opportunities to exploit fear and doubt while posing as protectors of human rights and religious freedom. The anti fluoridationists sought opportunities to engage us in debate on the platform.
Speaker 2: On radio, and on television.
Speaker 1: In retrospect, it is clear that it took us much too long to learn that these public debates, these confrontation dialogues, increased confusion rather than understanding, and thereby helped serve the cause of the anti floridationists. On July twenty seventh, nineteen sixty nine, the Assembly of the World Health Organization, at its annual meeting in Boston, endorsed water fluoridation. This endorsement adds another asset of great potential use that potential will not be activated, however, unless it engenders commitment and political action by the proponents of water fluoridation. It has been said that only a fool learns from his own mistakes. You are invited to escape that classification by learning from the mistakes committed by me and my colleagues during the past twenty five years.
Speaker 3: Aaron, Yeah, that's very interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that is a like a reflection article about fluoridation after twenty five years by one of the people who led the charge, John Knutsen, and that paper was published in nineteen seventy.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometime it's just it's fastating to me. I think also the reflection of like, we made mistakes.
Speaker 2: We made mistakes by not being by by just.
Speaker 1: Assuming that the public would accept facts and science, right yeah, Like, yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Have science on our side, but that doesn't.
Speaker 3: Really do mean all that much, right Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's so it was really interesting the whole the whole paper is very interesting to read.
Speaker 4: I also I love that I tell my five year old that all the time, I'm like, you could learn from our mistake. We're just trying for you to learn from our mistakes. So that you don't have to make the same way. It doesn't work with the five year old. I don't know if it works with grown ups either.
Speaker 2: No, certainly, not rarely. Hi, I'm Aaron Welsh.
Speaker 3: And I'm Aaron Aman updight.
Speaker 2: And this is this podcast will kill you.
Speaker 4: Welcome to episode one of two on fluoride.
Speaker 2: Fluoride. There's a lot there.
Speaker 1: We wanted to get it all, you know, out in the open, the full story.
Speaker 4: I am really excited about this. We split this episode into two episodes, this series. We're making a series out of it, very much like we did with raw milk. So today I just get to listen. I'm so excited about that. I mean, well, you tell us all about the history of fluoridation and how we got to where we are today, and then next week I'll go through what the heck is a cavity anyway?
Speaker 1: What is? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And what do we know about the like biological effects of fluoride?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, wait, I am really excited.
Speaker 1: I mean, like it's it's very funny to me because when I was doing this and I'll tell you more about this like in the actual episode. Yeah, but the parallels between raw milk and fluoride are just off the charts where I'm like.
Speaker 3: I expect nothing less.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel also very anti vaccine too, Like it's all the things and it's all the same playbook.
Speaker 3: Like we've talked about you and I a lot, Yes.
Speaker 2: The playbook. That's what I think reading that paper.
Speaker 1: It's funny because like we talk about this in our in our presentations, where we're like, this is how disinformation spreaders. This is the strategies they use a debate equal sides or equal time to both sides, And I'm like, oh my gosh, there were so many other things, just like fear and doubt, and then I think the other scientists. Yeah, the other thing being in action that like people don't feel well informed enough about fluoride because it is a really complex scientific topic to vote at all. So then even if they might be pro fluoridation, they're like, but it feels safer to not vote, feels safer to not vaccinate despite what we know anyway, Right, there's something because.
Speaker 4: It feels like not doing something is like not for taking a side, when in.
Speaker 3: Fact it is a side.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's and getting people to like be pro flora and not just like you know, indifferent is really like pulling teeth, is it? Eric?
Speaker 2: Did you like that? I was really good.
Speaker 3: Your face was so straight when you said it.
Speaker 2: I was trying to find the best transition to quarantiny dime. Oh yeah, it's quarantine It's quarantina dime.
Speaker 1: We're drinking, pulling teeth. I love it, pulling teeth, pulling teeth. It is what's in it? It's delicious, it is. It's got elderflower, liqueur mint, prosecco mint because like you know, freshness.
Speaker 2: Persecution paste, soda water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bring a little toothpist. Don't consume toothpaste?
Speaker 2: Do you not know?
Speaker 5: It's a great little summary, refreshing bev and we'll post the full quarantini recipe as well as the non alcoholic placey Berrita on our website This podcast will kill You dot com, as well as on all of our social media channels, which if you're not following us on those.
Speaker 3: You should be shuck it out. We're there.
Speaker 2: We are.
Speaker 4: Also, if you haven't yet rated, reviewed, and subscribed on whatever platform that you love to listen where you're listening right now, do so.
Speaker 3: We'd love it. It would appreciate We would appreciate it.
Speaker 4: If you're not already subscribed to the exactly right YouTube channel, you could do that as well too.
Speaker 3: We're there, We're there.
Speaker 1: We're also we have a website, but you listened to episodes before you know what's there.
Speaker 2: Let's just get still, hap it.
Speaker 3: This podcast will kill you dot com.
Speaker 1: Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, and hello. Well we'll get started just after this short break. Born in eighteen seventy four, Frederick McKay had spent his childhood, like many others, in his hometown of Milford, Massachusetts. He worked in his father's dry goods store. He played in bands, he went to school. But when he turned sixteen, he noticed that something felt off. Maybe it was a lingering cough, maybe it was night sweats, persistent fever. The diagnosis tuberculosis. Like many others at this time, I mean tuberculosis, was rampant. He sought to cure his disease with a better climate, dry air, so he traveled to Colorado Springs, where he recuperated for a while until he felt well enough to move back to Massachusetts. Upon returning to the northeast, he decided on a life of dentistry, and just as he was completing his education, McKay's tuberculosis flared up again, driving him back west, where he set up his dental practice in Colorado Springs in nineteen oh one. I think he was like, there's no point in me, Like I should just stay out west forever, right, okay? And before long after his arrival there, he began to notice an unusual pattern in the teeth of some of his patients. And even just like talking to people around town, he noticed this something on their teeth, and this was not anything that he had come across in his dental training. Their teeth were streaky with brown or yellow spots, something that he called modeled enamel and that the locals called Colorado stain or Colorado brown stain, which was a term not entirely welcomed by city officials who were trying to get people to come to the Springs, not repel them. And so McKay got kind of obsessed with the mystery of modeled enamel, like what the heck was causing it?
Speaker 2: And why did no one know about it?
Speaker 1: Why was this not in any dental textbook that he had come across. Other local dentists knew about it, and they weren't all that interested, and they just kind of figured well, specific to the Colorado region. It was kind of like, yeah, we've seen it before.
Speaker 4: How interesting to not to just be like, yeah, this is how it is here. But I guess if you have no other frame of reference, so it makes sense. He like trained in one place, came to somewhere else and was like this is different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah exactly. He was like, what do you mean. This is not like, this is not what people this is not just like yeah.
Speaker 1: But when he so he briefly moved Mackay briefly moved to Saint Louis, and that's when he was like confirmed for him, Okay, this is not like a nationwide issue. This is something that is specific to the Colorado region. And so when he moved back to Colorado again tuberculosis driven, he was like, Okay, someone's got to get to the bottom of this. I guess it has to be me. I think secretly he was like, oh my gosh, I really want to know what's happening here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so the first.
Speaker 1: Steps too solving this puzzle were raising awareness, which he did by attending various regional and state dental meetings, sometimes with a patient in tow to be like Colorado bound, these teeth open up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also just by getting a sense of the incidents and the geographical scope of the issue, which he did by examining children in Colorado Springs public schools, eighty seven point five percent of the kids had modeled teeth.
Speaker 3: Wow, okay, huge.
Speaker 2: That's a huge proportion.
Speaker 1: McKay's efforts made it clear that there was a real issue here that was worth looking into. It wasn't just like a local curiosity. This was affecting a great number of people's lives. And as McKay cast a wider net, traveling around the state to look for more cases and receiving help from dentists across the country, he realized that the Colorado stain was not at all limited to Colorado or even the US. I think there was like another term for it. I wish I'd written this down in Texas. It was like maybe like Texas teeth or something like that. There are for some communities that models yeah, or modeled enamel. And so this this finding that it was like much more widespread, and he was like, okay, there's got to be what is driving this. It led him to team up with a the dean of Northwestern University's dental school, whose name was doctor Green Black, which is hilarious to me that it's Yeah, and they wanted to partner to systematically study, like what was happening with the stain at the tissue level.
Speaker 2: You know, what is the stain.
Speaker 1: Coming, where's it coming from, what is it in there? Yeah, and then try to find its root cause. As they collected more samples and more data on where and how the staining occurred, one.
Speaker 2: Thing stuck out to them.
Speaker 1: Even though the enamel on modeled teeth was rough and uneven, that didn't seem to make the teeth more susceptible to decay, which is what they would have predicted. In fact, what they noticed after examining thousands of patients was that decay was much lower in people with modeled enamel than it was in other populations. I mean this could be huge, Like this finding had huge implications, except they still didn't know what caused the modeling. Okay, but they had a suspicion. Okay, it was in the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In his investigations, McKay had seen that children who lived elsewhere for the first two to three years of their life before moving to a modeled teeth area were not affected.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So he also noticed that basically all members of a community, regardless of their diet, whether they were rich or poor, where their house was, they.
Speaker 2: All had modeled teeth.
Speaker 1: He added stronger evidence to the water hypothesis when he visited a dentist in South Dakota who had reached out asking for McKay's advice on the modeling that he saw in his own town. And it turned out that the town had switched their water supply eighteen years prior. And you could draw a sharp line between those born before the switch, no modeling, and those born after lots of modeling.
Speaker 2: Ooh right, really.
Speaker 1: And so over the next fifteen years, McKay continued his search for the answer and had by the late nineteen twenties accumulated ample evidence that the water held the key.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: The final piece of the puzzle fell into place when McKay was sent by the US Public Health Service to a small town in Arkansas called Box Site. And this is a mining community built for employees of the Aluminum Company of America ALCOA. In nineteen oh nine, Box Site had switched their water from shallow wells to a deep well and kids born after the switch had extremely modeled enamel. Okay, this was not welcome news for Alcoa, the company, the aluminum company, who was already under fire from claims that their aluminum cookwaar was toxic. They were like, this is going to be used as evidence that we're poisoning the water too.
Speaker 2: Now, like everyone's gonna hate us even more.
Speaker 1: And so the chief chemist of Alcoa examined the water for rare elements using sophisticated tech not readily available, and he wrote to McKay about what he had found. Quote, we have discovered the presence of hitherto unsuspected constituents in this water. The high fluorine content was so unexpected that a new sample was taken with extreme precautions, and again the test showed fluorine in the water. They detected fluorine at a level of thirteen point seven parts per million.
Speaker 3: That's very high.
Speaker 4: Very high.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: For context, the recommendation today is point seven parts per million, and it used to be one, but then it was revised downward so that point seven recommendation is enough to protect against decay but too low to cause fluorosis.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, and seven that's quite quite.
Speaker 2: A lot higher, very very high. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So but this was also this was not necessarily it's kind of interesting I came across this leader, but this is not necessarily the first time that florine had been linked to this.
Speaker 2: But for some reason.
Speaker 1: McKay either like missed, like missed the memo on those or just like didn't it didn't seem as compelling as this example here, And so then McKay like this really was like whoa, this seems like this seems pretty strong, right at least like suggestive, right right, right, Like we should look look into this, and so that's that's what he did. He sent additional samples from other endemic areas where there was a lot of modeled enamel, and yes, the results were like okay, this every single one of these places where there is high teeth like high modeling, the fluorine levels are high either, you know, ranged from two parts per million in Colorado Springs to twelve in Kidder.
Speaker 2: South Dakota.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: The US Public Health Service was pretty excited and worried about these results, which like historically they were not they didn't seem that interested in it. Ok But now this was finally like, okay, we have we have something to go on here.
Speaker 4: Right way, way, we have some data here and not just like observational stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And so they sent a young dental officer, doctor H. Trendley Dean, to get a clearer picture of the relationship between fluoride and modeling, and in his investigation he found that not only was there a clear relationship between the degree of modeling and fluorine concentration, which was like kind of like a dose, like there was like a continuous relationship essentially, he also observed the striking connection between florine and dental carries. In children who lived where the water supply had zero point six to one point five parts per million, only four to five percent were carries free, okay, Whereas in areas where the water was one point seven to two point five parts per million, twenty two percent were carries free.
Speaker 2: So like five times got it more carries.
Speaker 4: So the higher the concentration of fluorine than the more kids had no cavities whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Right, the higher the protective ability. Yeah okay.
Speaker 1: And then there was a study of twenty one cities that showed that children age twelve to fourteen that had grown up in a city with point five parts per million or less had on average more than seven decayed, missing and filled permanent teeth.
Speaker 2: These are kids age twelve to fourteen.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Further studies showed that the carries protection provided by fluoride plateaued around one part per million, which is a level that only led to quote sporadic instances of the mildest forms of dental fluorosis of no practical esthetic significance. So it was like, Okay, we don't need to add more, and we're not going to add We're not going to get more protection if we add more.
Speaker 2: If we add more, we're just going to get dental staining.
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 1: And so Dean concluded in nineteen thirty eight, quote inasmuch as it appears that the mineral composition of the drinking water may have an important bearing on the incidence of dental carries in a community, the possibility of partially controlling dental carries through the domestic water supply warrants thorough epidemiological chemical study and yeah, on board. So, nearly four decades after a tuberculosis flare up sent doctor Frederick Mackay back West where he embarked on unraveling the mystery of model teeth. Dentistry in the US and around the globe was about to undergo a massive transition where prevention now occurred alongside restoration as the primary goal. Previously, it wasn't really possible, like there wasn't enough known about what causes tooth decay to interest and to enact any sort of preventative measures.
Speaker 4: So this also, like this finding also allowed for just like preventive dentistry period period which is now like the cornerstone of dentistry.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, yeah, But as we'll see, not everyone welcomed this change, and some actively fought against it.
Speaker 3: Classic classic.
Speaker 1: So next week erin you're going to take us through more of the nitty gritty biology of how dental carees forms and what floride does to reduce decay. But I want to take some time here to talk about dental carries over history, because what else am.
Speaker 2: I going to get to do this?
Speaker 1: And plus, like any opportunity to talk about paleopathology, even the littlest.
Speaker 2: Bit is fun.
Speaker 1: So humans and many other species have been impacted by dental caries since well before we were humans. Of course, fish hundreds of millions of years ago, dinosaurs tens of millions of years ago.
Speaker 4: Stop it, wait wait, wait, wait, we have like fossil dinosaur teeth with cavities.
Speaker 2: Oh I love that, I know.
Speaker 1: I know also our hominid and relatives and ancestors. Wild animals today like bears get carries. Are domestic animals like dogs. I mean carries for all right, So let me just take a second here to define what carries is.
Speaker 2: Essentially, it's tooth decay. So the hard.
Speaker 1: Enamel on the surface of a tooth begins to wear down and the inner soft dentin gets exposed and slowly decays, sometimes reaching the pulp cavity. The initial hit that enamel loss is helped along by bacteria in our mouth producing acid fluoride, by the way, acts to help strengthen that enamel. And so that's how it protects us from carries and a cavity. Just to distinguish, because I was like, what is the.
Speaker 4: Difference cavity versus carry? In fact you're doing this, I don't have two next week, okay.
Speaker 1: I mean the cavity is essentially when that tooth decay turns into a hole.
Speaker 2: So that's it. Like it's like.
Speaker 4: Carries the first initial bit, and then a cavity.
Speaker 1: Carries is well okay, now I'm not entirely sure if it's like more of a general term or just like like carries is tooth decay and cavities is specific to when there's like tissue loss maybe or like when there's a whole formed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, and so.
Speaker 1: Given that carries affects teeth and teeth stick around for a long time after we die, we can make some judgments on how the prevalence of carries has changed over human history, Okay, and it certainly has in ways you can probably predict. So in general, dental carries increased as humans moved from a hunter gatherer lifestyle to agriculture. And you can see this with different groups, like in the same region or era. Right, So as some groups, let's say you have like a similar region in the same time period, some groups are still mostly hunter gathering and some are farming. You can see within those groups even changesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah okay, and.
Speaker 1: So yeah, those that incorporated more farming and carbohydrates into their lifestyle had more.
Speaker 3: Carries kinds of the foods they were eating exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, specifically, carbohydrates like cereals and potatoes and so on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I mean things that I love so much.
Speaker 1: And this pattern continues today as groups adopt quote unquote Western diets, their rates of carries increase.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's put some numbers to this.
Speaker 1: If we look at the percentage of individuals within a population that have carries, let's say like Europe, we can go back to around forty five hundred BCE, which is post agricultural revolution, so rates are already higher than historically, and around that time we around twenty nine percent of adults impacted. Okay, this percentage rises and falls, so goes up to like thirty six percent around fifteen hundred BCE, back down to the upper twenties percentages closer to the first century C. We see another rise in the seventh century to fifty six percent, which is when our fine sugar became a commercial product. Apparently interesting, and today global values are over ninety five percent.
Speaker 3: I was going to say twenty percent.
Speaker 6: That sounds so love I know, yeah, wow, yeah.
Speaker 1: We know that it's diet causing this, but how okay, So I'm just gonna read you a quote because this does it better than I could do it.
Speaker 2: It's from a book chapter quote.
Speaker 1: A caryogenic diet, as in one that produces produces more carry carries has been defined by the following features. Frequent intake of meals with a high content of carbohydrates, quickly fermentable mainly sucrose, with retentive and sticky consistence that produces repetitive lowering of pH values and changes in the ecology of dental plaque end quote. More sugar, more carbs like potatoes and cereals equals more a lesions and faster development of lesions.
Speaker 3: Right in different microbiome in your mouth.
Speaker 1: Different microbiome in your mouth, totally, and so since the advent of agriculture to the mid twentieth century, it's like we were hurtling towards the state where carries was omnipresent and unavoidable.
Speaker 2: For centuries, carries and.
Speaker 1: Other dental woes had featured in medical texts, along with some creative treatments, including the Ebers Papyrus, but dentists were largely powerless to prevent the development of tooth decay, and so their efforts focused on restoration and keeping things from getting worse. Even after germ theory helped to make the connection between acid producing bacteria and tooth decay and also diet and acid producing bacteria. There wasn't much that they could do to prevent carries, just treat it when it happened. Also, I've never thought about germ theory in the context of dental care and like knowledge about me.
Speaker 2: Heather's right, isn't that wild?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Love it me too?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And so so there it was mostly.
Speaker 1: Dental care was focused on, was focused on restoration, were even like maybe detection or measuring the rate of progress through like X ray technology, which was new as of the early twentieth century, late eighteen hundreds, And that was the case until.
Speaker 2: Fluoride, specifically water fluoridation.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: Also, Aaron, there are like so many more topics that we should do in dentistry that I like, I want to do, like gum health and certain diseases. You Like, I feel like I've seen that a lot braces grinding your teeth at night.
Speaker 2: Hello, I mean like there's just like.
Speaker 1: There's like so much that we could do. So that's just my petition for more dental episodes.
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean, you don't have to work hard to convince me. Although I always like doing these episodes, I get it's so so interesting how we don't learn any of this in medical school.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's another thing I would love to learn about. When dentistry became a field.
Speaker 4: Right, and like, why is it so separate from quote unquote medicine, Like the rest of your body medicine. It's like eyes and teeth. We gotta pullmze and they're gonna be totally separate.
Speaker 1: We have separate insurances for eyes and teeth. They're part of our bodies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, why they're part of our overall health too, is part of your house.
Speaker 3: Then people come in with like a mouth complaint and I'm like, hullo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should definitely, we should definitely do that, right.
Speaker 1: The history of dentistry, I would love it, Yes, Okay, but that was just the brief detour through the history of carries. And so we left off before this little detour in the late nineteen thirties with the knowledge that certain levels of floride in the water seemed to protect against tooth decay. So the obvious next step would be to implement that knowledge.
Speaker 3: That's what I would think happens next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, it is what happens next.
Speaker 1: So in nineteen forty two, the US Public Health Service began talks with two cities in Michigan, Grand Rapids and Muskegon, to conduct an experiment with artificially fluoridating the water to one part per million, with Grand Rapids getting the fluoride and Muskegan acting as the control.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: The experiment was set.
Speaker 1: To begin on January first, nineteen forty five, and within a few days, foreshadowing what was to come in later decades, the complaints started rolling in rashes, rapid weight gain, headaches, tumors. I mean, fluoride was blamed for a wide variety of health issues of the residents in the residence of Grand Rapids.
Speaker 2: Okay, the thing was fluoridation hadn't actually started yet.
Speaker 3: But it was like they knew, so.
Speaker 2: Okay, it was coming. Yeah the residents.
Speaker 3: Did the residents like agree to this?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I think it was like a like I agreed upon by the city officials.
Speaker 3: Okay, so they didn't.
Speaker 4: They didn't necessarily agree, but they knew that this was coming, and they had maybe like a start date or something on their calendars. And then they started having complaints about things, but they didn't actually, they hadn't actually started yet.
Speaker 1: Right, there was there was like an unexpected delay in the shipment or like the delivery of fluoride, and so it didn't get added to the water until January twenty fifth. But even before then people started to blame.
Speaker 3: Floride right in and complain about things.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Interesting, yeah, please keep going.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So there was no evidence, of course for the fluoride causing these complaints because florid wasn't in the water yet. And in fact, what the evidence did show was that fluoride was a safe and effective way to drastically reduce tooth decay in a population. I mean, like the first tand account said there were seven million people who were getting their water from naturally fluoridated sources, right, And there had been a lot of studies, I don't know all of the studies examining the different communities with and their health, you know, aspects those who were in floridated water those who did not have floridated water, and found pretty much that one of the only difference was the cavity protection.
Speaker 3: Or carry protection.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, So how did this experiment go fifteen years after water fluoridation was introduced to Grand Rapids, the rate of decayed, missing and filled teeth in fifteen year old children had dropped fifty percent.
Speaker 3: Huge years.
Speaker 4: Also, like they're studying this fifteen years, so that's a long this is a very long term.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thing they wanted to make sure that it was actually worth implementing. The other thing too, is that and I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but systemic fluoride in order to like when your teeth and I know you'll get more.
Speaker 2: Into like this part of it.
Speaker 1: It is important in development when your teeth are developing, and so it would have taken a long time to see the benefits of that because these kids had to be born and then yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, although we'll talk more later. It's also topical, so it's like in your mouth, yes too, but.
Speaker 1: Yes, especially for kids systemics and then if it's in your saliva, it's washing over your teeth exactly, helping with enamel. But like for developing kids, to see those big effects in the reduction of carries was yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Especially because we're talking about very very low levels. It's not very the same as like the seilance that your dentists might be putting on your teeth, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yep.
Speaker 1: And and also just to kind of like bolster this, these findings, the data show that the tooth decay rates in fluoridated Grand rapids were similar to other regions with naturally fluoridated water. So it was like this, even though we are putting floride into this water, the effect is the same as places that have naturally fluoridated water.
Speaker 4: And we're doing it at this lower level than most of these natural sources at one part per million.
Speaker 1: Right, optimize the level, okay, And so the cause and effect relationship because before these I mean, these were highly suggestive correlative studies results like where it was like, okay, carries rates lower in area with higher floridation. But this actually showed like a cause and effect relation.
Speaker 4: You're doing a random size control trial rather than just an epidemiological observational study.
Speaker 2: Yes, science action.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And this was also happening in other fluoridation experiments in cities in the US and Canada, in the UK, in New Zealand and elsewhere around the world. Other communities were floridating their water, and many cities and towns began floridating their water even before the results from Grand Rapids were out, because they felt that the safety and efficacy of floridation had already been proven. In nineteen fifty eight, the WHO released a report concluding that fluoride was an effective and feasible public health measure to reduce dental carries, and they followed that up a few years later with an expert panel tasked with reviewing the safety data of floridation. I'm going to read you a quote from their conclusion quote. The results have shown that for the climatic, nutritional, and environmental conditions under which the surveys have been carried out, a level of approximately one part per million fluoride in temperate climates has no harmful effects on the community. The margin of safety is such that it will cover any individual variation of intake to be found in such areas.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: So it's like someone's drinking a lot of water, they're still going to be fine. Someone's drinking not very much, They're still going to be fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: And so, starting in the nineteen sixties, with these promising results, cities and towns across the US and the rest of the world began floridating their water. Some states issued like a blanket fluoridation mandate, while others allowed communities to exempt themselves by popular vote. In nineteen eighty nine, one hundred and thirty five million Americans, So sixty two point one percent of the population we're getting fluoridated water from public systems at optimized levels. There were some more that were getting Florida Florida from or floridated water from naturally fluoridated but I don't know if it was like controlled or optimized. Yeah, okay, the goal, so that was nineteen eighty nine, sixty two point one percent. The goal for nineteen ninety was to get ninety five percent of the population on optimally fluoridated water. Obviously, this was not achieved, and the new goal was revised down to seventy five percent. By two thousand. We're still not quite there, but we are close, although we'll see what happens because of stuff that's been happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they're trying to take it, take it all away.
Speaker 1: In the nearly eight decades since water fluoridation began, the health benefits have become clear. An average drop of thirty five to fifty percent in Carrie's rates in floridated communities. This translates also to economic benefits. Less money spent on restorative dental care in communities with fluoridated water, less time missed from work having to go to dental appointments. Not to mention, like, I know you'll get into some of these, like bigger picture, how dental health is health and how it like there are so many other systemic effects of that, and then there's like the self esteem and so on, like to have dental repair. Yeah, and I know that next week you're also going to get into more of like the some of the claims that people are making. Yeah, but from my reading, water fluoridation at the recommended level has not been linked with data to any negative health outcome. Of course, over consumption of fluoride can occur, which can be harmful, but at the recommended level, like what it is in our water, it is safe and effective. So why has there been such a strong and sustained opposition movement to fluoride?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's get into it.
Speaker 4: I also, I don't think that I knew that it was. I mean, it's this podcast We Kill You. I'm not surprised that there's been like opposition from the get go, and like you know, like so strong and whatever.
Speaker 3: But I I.
Speaker 4: It's the same thing as so many other things that we're hearing so much more about today, where like I never thought about it for so long and now I can't stop hearing about it everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and it's not just like it like people are actually talking about it more. I mean yeah, like RFK is talking.
Speaker 2: About it more. So you can't.
Speaker 3: You can't not talk about it.
Speaker 4: When it's flag yeah, literally, like on the news from the people who are the highest up making the decisions about our health in this country.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And I mean and like those other things like vaccines, like pasteurization, water fluoridation has long had its fair share of detractors and which have also like raw melk and vaccines have been growing in number as of late. And the ven diagram of these three groups is like a circle.
Speaker 2: Basically. It's just.
Speaker 1: So we can trace the origins of the anti floridation movement to Wisconsin in the nineteen forties. Okay, the Grand Rapids Muskegon experiment was on the horizon, but there was one outspoken Wisconsin dentist, doctor John Frish, who didn't want to wait fifteen years for his communities to start fluoridating. He had followed the work of Mackay and Dean and concluded that fluoride at an appropriate level was safe and effective and they should get started right away because he was a dentist and he cared about his patients and wanted them to not have cavities and carries, right Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, we can, we can prevent this.
Speaker 1: Right, which is also, Oh, I know, are you gonna talk about like big fluoride?
Speaker 2: And I was like, well, it's.
Speaker 4: Interesting to think about in the context of, like, in the context of a profession where at the time their main source of business was restorative dentistry, you might think that a dentist would want less fluoride because then their patients would have more cavities and they would have more business.
Speaker 1: It's like somebody coming in to it's like a family med doctor being like, ooh, my patients have diabetes and heart disease.
Speaker 2: This is great for me, and it's like it's not. No, it's not exactly that. And that's the point, right.
Speaker 4: It's like the people who go into these fields do it because they want to help people, because they care about people's health because they want for their patients to.
Speaker 3: To be better, to have healthy teeth. Like, but but.
Speaker 2: Raking in that dough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I honestly it's I mean it's it's baffling but not surprising. Yes, just like there's no logic, but but never need to begin with Yeah. So the sentence was like, I'm hyped about floride. Let's do this, Like, let's we don't need to wait for that. We've already we have had decades of people collecting data that show that this is like a good.
Speaker 2: Thing to do, okay.
Speaker 1: And so he started this like very active and enthusiastic campaign for water floridation across the state, and within a few years many communities had started adding floride to their water after this, because you.
Speaker 2: Know, he was like gung ho. And so when in nineteen.
Speaker 1: Fifty the US Public Health Service approved floridation for all communities in the US, Frish declared victory in a letter that he wrote to Mackay cease firing. The war is over direct quote from that, yeah, okay, which turned out to be a bit of a premature celebration. Frish's very vocal campaign won many over to the side of floridation and raised awareness overall, but it also attracted some critics, especially the very outspoken Alexander Wallace, who was a resident of Stephen's Point, Wisconsin and self appointed watchdog of the public treasury, local poet, and author of many letters to the editor. Notice how I didn't mention any scientific or dental training because I don't believe there was any. Right.
Speaker 2: I also just can picture one hundred.
Speaker 1: I mean basically, I'm picturing like parks and rec and like someone who goes to one of the town halls.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm picturing my parents' neighbor who is not too far away. I will not mention names, but has run for the board multiple times, et.
Speaker 2: Cetera, on the platform of anti florid.
Speaker 3: No, just on the platform of anti fun mostly.
Speaker 2: Oh got it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, I don't like the swim team, and they don't like that anything anyways.
Speaker 4: Letters to the editor, Yeah, letters to the editor. Well they're important, Okay.
Speaker 1: They are, we love them sometimes. But yeah, his his stance, this guy, Alexander Wallace. His stance was that floride was poisoned. Okay, he you know, and and his evidence ranged from the misused like for instance, the USPS, the US Public Health Service at the time, still classified flora as experimental, and then it did not stay.
Speaker 2: But he said it was totally untested, right.
Speaker 3: Classic, it's a classic thing. Yeah, totally untested.
Speaker 1: Uh huh exactly, mRNA, I forget it. And then a lot of the time he just manufactured evidence, right, Like he said, fluoride is rat poison and will cause irreparable harm.
Speaker 3: Oh, he should listen to Strick nine.
Speaker 2: That's what I was gonna say. I'm like, strychnine is rat poison. We don't put that in the water.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so, despite not having any scientific evidence to support his claims and the fact that existing evidence refuted them, in fact, his opposition was highly publicized and ultimately successful. He set the precedent for this debate to be held in kind of a public forum, with him on one side and the data on the other.
Speaker 2: So interesting erin, so classic erin.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Naturally, this equal viewpoint representation confused the general public, who were led to believe that Wallace had as much data supporting his side as the scientist did as the dentist did. In September nineteen fifty, the citizens of Stephen's point rejected floridation, the first to do so in a monument to anti science, anti expert. This proved to not be a one off as pro floridationists had hoped. The outcome was plastered across national headlines and served as encouragement to other opponents of floridation. The message was who needs science and facts when you've got fear and doubt. They realized it was a heck of a lot easier to instill doubt and fear than dispel it. The anti floridationists of the nineteen fifties were a motley crew, mostly quote unquote independent thinkers like Wallace, alternative medicine advocates, supplement brands, really supplement brands, not surprising, but also just like.
Speaker 3: Like, could you be more basic?
Speaker 2: You know, it's like predictable.
Speaker 1: Then there were chiropractors and groups like the John Birch Society, which if you haven't heard of it is a right wing libertarian conspiracy theory anti communist group that is also an inspiration to the current administration, and the ku Klux Klan.
Speaker 2: The KKK was big in the anti fluoride movement in the early Yes.
Speaker 3: I could see that I could see that yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was very like, wait, what what It's one of those where you go and then when you think about it, because this is something that's working on the public health, and so it's going to be helping everyone, right, all including people quote unquote undesirable and in fact maybe more So we'll talk more about that next week for sure.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, okay, that is I mean, and that is like a big I think part of the like the point is also cruelty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we.
Speaker 4: Should withhold this withholding from people who don't deserve it, because if you can afford it, you can just buy fluoridated toothpaste. If you can afford it, you can just get tried zelans, right, if you can afford.
Speaker 1: It, yep, okay, And so that is one big motivator for why people were and are anti fluoride, but there were many other reasons as well, and so you know, just like raw milk, these groups are not a monolith or like this anti fluoride movement is on a monolith, and there's a mix of people who have been preyed upon and those who are doing the praying looking into the perpetrators or originators of this miss and disinformation The reasons they give for why fluoride is bad have evolved over time, and they can generally be split into three categories, sometimes overlapping. All right, you've got number one fraudulent health claims, Number two feelings of personal freedom violations slash conspiracy theories, and number three claims that fluoride doesn't work slash economics.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well yeah.
Speaker 1: So the first concrete fraudulent health claim that proved to be quite sticky was that fluoride causes cancer, and I think this is still touted today occasionally. This misconception originated from leaked preliminary results of an animal study out of the University of Texas that was specifically looking at this question, and early results seemed to suggest that mice that drank fluoridated water developed cancer earlier than those that did not, and the press ate that story up. Of course, they ran with it before any closer examination. I mean, these are preliminary, preliminary results. It didn't matter, right, And then once once the researcher who was involved in this did like a closer examination, it was revealed that the experiment was totally invalid. All of them, both the experimental and control groups were being fed chow that had a fluoride level of forty two parts per million, which like all of them, all of them, both the experimental and so it was like it was dear water.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: It was too late, like this, this correction was too late. The follow up was not nearly as widely publicized as the initial results, and even if people came across the correction, the association between cancer and floride would be in their minds already, where it's like, I'm not saying that fluoride causes cancer, you know what I mean. Or they would be like I read a news story about florid and cancer, but I can't remember what is the.
Speaker 3: Thing that, yeah, right, totally, and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm not sure what it was. So I'm just gonna err on the side of caution. Caution, yeah yeah. And then reputable studies.
Speaker 1: So like since then, since those that experiment and that news story, reputable studies, there have been so many of them because the fear was so high that examined cancer and floride have found no association, But that didn't stop the anti fluoridationists claiming that fluoride causes cancer. And again we're talking about the levels that are the optimized levels in public drinking water. And cancer was far from alone, and being blamed or florid was far from alone. Cancer was one of many things.
Speaker 4: There we go, one of many ill health effects. Yes, that was blamed on fluorid.
Speaker 2: Oh so many.
Speaker 1: And I know that you're going to go into more next week. But like vaccines, floride has been held responsible for whatever health threat preoccupied the general public at a certain time, you know, like at one point it was Alzheimer's, another time it was blamed for AIDS, IQ, infertility, brittle bones, take your pick. The more fringe ones were oily sweat, undue, financial anxiety, and nymphomania.
Speaker 3: Okay, isn't that Yeah, all of it's bizarre.
Speaker 2: I know, I know I should undo financial anxieties. Yeah, okay on a daily just I was gonna say, like undo undo?
Speaker 3: Is it undue? Is it undo? Right?
Speaker 1: And occasionally they ventured into the more conspiracy side of things, especially with the anti communism fears so widespread during the nineteen fifties and nineteen sixties. And I think that's also where the KKK got involved, where it was like, we don't like this is communism. Essentially, this is socialized medicine.
Speaker 3: And right there, we don't do that on us. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 1: Some people genuinely believed that it was like a Soviet plot designed to harm the American public, and this belief was parodied in the nineteen sixty four movie Doctor Strangelove. Or it was a strategy, one person claimed, and I'm sure this was not just one person's opinion.
Speaker 2: There was a strategy to quote unquote weaken the Aryan race.
Speaker 1: Again, the parallels with raw milk are astonishing, but not surprising.
Speaker 3: So interesting, Aaron.
Speaker 1: And so this is kind of where these health concerns bleed over into the personal freedom conspiracy side of things. So, from the beginning of fluoridation, one of the leading complaints was that fluoridation in water represented a violation of personal freedoms, that parents should be able to choose what to feed their children, and that fluoride was mass medication, starting us on a slippery slope where the government could put whatever they wanted into the water without our knowledge or consent, or just that it represented a deadly step towards socialized medicine, where people could you know, where health is a right, right, or healthcare is a right, and this seemster we even imagine that possibility. This seems to be a consistent sentiment motivating people at the ballot box seventy years ago as well as today, like these are all things that are still around.
Speaker 2: The mass medication.
Speaker 1: Complaint arose and gained traction at a time where things like DDT or asbestos were found to be highly toxic after decades of use and like being freely used in everyone being reassuring.
Speaker 2: That no, it's fine, it's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 1: Right where tholidamide slipped through the cracks and where a quote unquote back to the soil, natural movement was taking hold, and so to some fluoride represented yet another chemical we're adding to our bodies without enough research.
Speaker 2: And I think what I find truly.
Speaker 1: Fascinating about that is that fluoride is in so many sources of water naturally, right, it's in water.
Speaker 4: It's interesting to look at it in that way, like, oh, this is something that we're adding. This is something that is naturally quote unquote naturally found in so many sources, sometimes at such a high level that it is causing potential ill effects. But then putting it into our water at lower levels is seen as potentially harmful when it's really just trying to replicate something that exists in nature. I mean, yeah, and it and it's and it is valid that we have.
Speaker 6: Done things one hundred thous a lot of data, right like, yeah, yeah, it's we have done things that.
Speaker 4: Are quite harmful, So it makes sense to I don't know, it's so complicated Aaron.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think the other facet of that too is that, you know, going back to naturally fluoridated sources of water, is that that that have been shown that have been linked to you know, whether it's teeth modeling or something else. Anti fluoridationists don't make any effort to reduce to the florid that occurs naturally. If they think that fluoride is such a big problem, really, then they don't really seem I shouldn't be surprised concerned with helping to remove or limit florid in communities with naturally overflorid water. Yeah, they're just like, it's only don't put florid in my water.
Speaker 4: Don't put it in my water. But if you move to Colorado Springs, you're on your own.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think I think they take this out of Yeah, I'm sure they do, not to hate on Colorado space.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm sure they're doing fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, that is it is interesting, And I think that just kind of points out It's like who. I think what it shows is like, who is it that is the one perpetuating these claims and what is the intent behind what they are doing it for? Are they using any data that may or may not be legitimate? Maybe, but what is the intention behind that? And is it just to discredit science? Because that's what it often comes down to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and it also like, again, I think it comes back to those who are hearing this information and buying into it and those who are originating it and perpetuating it. So there are different motivators I think for that. And so the final argument against fluoride was that it doesn't work, or that the benefits of florid can be achieved solely through fluoride containing products such as toothpaste and mouthwash is topical fluoride. Following that, the argument goes that water fluoridation is wasteful since only a small proportion is actually ingested, as opposed to being used to like wash dishes, or shower, Okay, and I know you'll get more into the details. So systemic versus topical fluoride, but systemic fluoridation does make a difference, as we discussed in the prevention of tooth decay, and in fact, Calgary in Canada had previously voted to stop fluoridation around ten years ago and then recently voted to put it back in since the rate of tooth decay in children increased. Yeah, it seems like from where I'm standing that the trend has been more often than not in the other direction, with states like Utah banning fluoride in the water, which means that even if a community wanted to fluoridate, they couldn't. And so now if you want systemic fluoride in Utah, you have to get a prescription. And so of course, yes, you have to get a prescription from whom you can go to the dentist. I think you can get one from a pharmacist, your doctor. And so, of course, just like with every other personal freedom medical issue, this disproportionately impacts those who are the most disadvantage, who lack access to a dentist or can't afford supplements. But that rarely concerns anti fluoride activists who are more than happy to sell you their purification systems or their book outlining how to eliminate fluorid from your diet. When it comes to fluoride, it's more of the same with what we see for raw milk and vaccines, a focus on deregulation, on privatization, and redefining expertise. And this debate over fluoride has continued because it has been framed as a debate with science and evidence on one side and sentiment on the other. And again, like we get it right, the historical opposition especially, I'm not sure just how many health outcomes were evaluated in naturally fluoridated versus unfluoridated communities before they started artificially fluoridating.
Speaker 3: Did they look at every possible outcome right.
Speaker 2: Or probably not? Yeah, but at that time. No.
Speaker 1: It has been eighty years, eighty years since water was since fluoridated water was started in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Speaker 2: And that means that.
Speaker 1: Over those eighty years, we have collected a wealth of data that would allow us to detect an association between fluoride and so many things, and we haven't really found those associations, and people are still looking. People are still continuously evaluating because that is what science does, that is how it works. But when you've got tiktoks and forums claiming that fluoride is harmful for your kid or it's giving you cancer, it's hard to shake those fears that doubt, especially when the pro fluoride movement is much quieter. I mean, like, I knew so little about how fluoride worked before we picked this as a topic. I did know that it was like in a development. I just thought it was like, oh, mouthwash, that's fine, right, And I can't but think that the lack of awareness and understanding is contributing to the gains that the anti floridationists have made in the past few years. Despite being named as one of the top public health achievements of the twentieth century, the top ten, it's in the top ten.
Speaker 2: Wow, floride does not have enough hype.
Speaker 1: People talking about how many teeth have been saved, how much less people have had to spend all thanks to a relatively straightforward and inexpensive solution. Florid Tell you.
Speaker 2: What, tell you what?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, Aaron, I don't really hear any florid hype people. I know, I can't remember a florid hype person me either.
Speaker 1: And I think that it's because, like, on an individual level, you go to the dentist and you get floride. Like, where is the political activism from pro floridation. It's just a really interesting thing, and I think that Florida doesn't really get the attention it deserves in the public health arena as like a way to prevent Okay, it's like, okay, dental carries. It's actually the significance of that is much bigger than we think it is.
Speaker 4: Well, it's also like, like we've said many times on this podcast, aarin, when public health is working well, you don't know that it's working at all. I don't know that, right, Yeah, when we're preventing carries with you didn't even know that your water was fluoridated and you have less carries than a community that doesn't have floridated water. You don't think about it, right, And then if you start hearing that something is bad, that's when you then start questioning, Ye, what are you doing to me without my knowledge, without my consent, who made this decision?
Speaker 3: What data are you using?
Speaker 1: We've been doing this for eighty years and it's but it really seems like gains are being made for the anti floridationists.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And there's a lot more to say erin about what we know about about the effects of fluoride negative neutral, how is it working, what's up with carries.
Speaker 2: What half carries?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're going to get into all of that next week and I cannot wait.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yeah me, I am really excited. I feel like this was just a teaser to be like, now florides.
Speaker 4: So good to set the stage of like this is how you know what I mean, especially as we talk about like what is the evidence? Now we can also look at like this is how long things have been going on for.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So well, in the meantime, if you would like to read more, I did got some sources. Okay, So there was a book called Fluoride and Carrie's Prevention by John Murray published nineteen eighty two. Maybe a paper by Ripa from nineteen ninety three, A half century of community water fluoridation in the United States, A great paper by McNeil nineteen eighty America's Longest War, the Fight over Fluoridation, And if you want to learn more about, just like carries in generally and over a time. Caselts nineteen ninety eight carries ancient plague of humankind.
Speaker 3: Ancient plague, And I've got so.
Speaker 1: Many more, honestly, but those are the ones that I'm going to shout out.
Speaker 2: So yeah, take a look at our website.
Speaker 1: If you want to see all the sources for this episode and all of our episodes.
Speaker 3: This podcastmikill you dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you to Bloodmobile for providing the music for this episode and all of our episodes.
Speaker 4: Thank you to Tom and Leanna and Brent and Pete and Mike and all of exactly right, Jess, thank you all.
Speaker 3: We have so many people that help out with this and we really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do. Thank you also to our listeners. We hope that you enjoyed this episode. Did it answer some of your questions?
Speaker 3: Any of your questions and you have more questions?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well answer them, I think maybe. And as always, as special shout out to our patrons. Thank you so much for your support. It really does mean the world to us.
Speaker 2: It does well. Until next time, wash your hands
Speaker 3: You filthy animals.