Speaker 1: Now, The Shotguns Starting Golf is full of mathematics. There's a lot of a lot of setup work that we have to do in order to make a tournament work. So I'm going to demonstrate to you just exactly how we do a shotgun start here and alright, alright, alright, dent no man, darn your.
Speaker 2: Greetings. Are welcome to a Wednesday edition of The Shotgun Start. It is April eighth, Andy, how we do it?
Speaker 1: Frenday not doing fantastic. I gotta say the weather has been au and just a wonderful.
Speaker 2: Mood down here, very just chipper. It's incredible, It's incredible. But that's what everybody wants. It's weather talk off the bat.
Speaker 1: Weather talk, Dan Hurley losing things. Things are looking up in the world. Big ten gets their first basketball title in twenty six years.
Speaker 2: Double Dipped, you got women's the historic powerhouse of Westwood, California, getting on Sunday, men getting on Monday. Dan Hurley crying in his beer Monday night. So that's good. You're happy about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, things are looking up. I'm pumped about this, masters too.
Speaker 2: I am too. There's been like a a few media members who shall remain nameless kind of come up there. There's not a lot of juice. Is there anything happening? It's like, well, maybe like if there's nothing happening, that that kind of means it's gonna sound like sort of a Cohen like everything is happening. That's a good You know that that sounds sort of incoherent. But if nothing's happening, that means everything. You know, maybe having no Tiger here is maybe a decent thing. Having Phil prants around maybe like maybe we're just focused on an incredible tournament. The weather is pristine, perfect, It's been brisk the last two mornings, supposed to be tomorrow and then heat up as the weekend goes, and not a drop of rain really in the forecast. It looks like a great golf tournament. It will be allowed to be played this week.
Speaker 1: I mean, the reality is is why it feels juiceless, is that we had, you know, the story that really dominated the sport for the last ten years has been lifted off our plates. The idea of when Rory McElroy will get the Masters and the Grand Slam done. It also turned into when's he gonna win a Major? That being removed has opened up. It allows the whole tournament to breathe. I think there's so many fascinating subplots of this tournament and I'm excited to dive into it. But you know, you got a lot of guys playing really good golf, and and you know a lot of guys that have played really good golf out Augusta playing well. And I think it's going to serve up with the combination of the weather and what the course is going to get to. You know, just like off the top here in the golf course is just playing faster than it has in the fairways in particular.
Speaker 2: Why is that you think mowing They're not mowing hard the tea or what you know.
Speaker 1: I feel like I can use this. Joseph has has given me access to use this. Ryan Girard told him that that you know, they're able to putt from around the green to the mow heights bend lowered. So I had another player, uh say that you know a place they usually hits mini drivers short of the bunker on too ran into it this this week, so that mo height. I think it's going to be a little bit less of that into the grain field just because they've lowered the mow height, and uh, they may not say that they did that, but it appears so based off of how players are playing the golf course and how they're seeing the golf course play. So you know it's gonna be it's gonna play a little bit different. But God, they got this weather to the spot where we're gonna get to see exactly what the green jackets say is that is the ideal Masters set up because of the weather. I don't want to jinx it, but it looks like there's no rain coming for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's been a dry Georgia. I've been a dry winter early spring for Georgia like they haven't. It's not like it's been drenched. And of course we know Augusta can figure out a way to change the condition of the course in rapid speed, whether they get a lot of rain or not, or or even if they get nothing, they can they can change it pretty quickly. And it seems like they sort of have restrictor plates on it right now, just for the practice rounds. This is often the case, and that sort of cliche goes, whatever you practice on may be very different by the time that the shots start to count and as you progress to Sunday. But yeah, it's all set up. I've just been like, it's been a fabulous first whatever, thirty six forty eight hours we've been here. You're reminded of like how it is, you know, the I think some of the analysis and the coverage has gotten too granular to be honest, too far fetched, too esoteric. I'm always looking for like interesting angles or just good stories, and uh, like it's the it's so incredible, how much bigger it is than anything else in golf, right, and so much of that is how unique it's unique approach, and however it deals with tickets, and however it deals with TV and all these things, and but one of those is just being here. You're reminded immediately how it's just so so different from anything else in golf, mostly for the better, almost exclusively for the better. And that notion of like everybody here, including the players, and is exceptionally happy to be here. I would say the loan maybe toss up for that Rory in recent years has been removed. He's obviously very happy, you know. Maybe he was more anxious or angsty in recent years, but I think it's everyone I think it's now universal thing, whether it's fans or patrons you meet, it's just all the players are so ecstatic to just be here, even if it's you know, a lot the ball ceremonial role, or it's a contender like Prices.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about with alaha ball and he's got an important job this week. We'll get to that later in the storylines. Nobody's talking about right, I love it, but uh yeah, I would just add in everybody's happy to be here and everybody's actually present. It's the it's that's the difference. The masters sauce. I think in the modern uh sports landscape is like the beauty of no phones on site is died. You know. It's almost like cliche to talk about it in a way because it gets talked about all the time. But it is just a wonderful, wonderful experience to be with people and have everybody be fully engaged in what they're doing, you know, whether it's conversation or whether it's watching golf. You know, it's it's amazing, like you know, you create these vivid memories. And it was funny. I got reminded of one lash from last year just yesterday, and it's like, remember us watching that shot from that spot, and I was like, you know, a flood of this like vivid memory came into it because I was actually there. I was just like sitting there in the moment, watching and experiencing it. And it's just like a great reminder of all technology isn't always good, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know. I like being able to hit it off the toe three hundred and ten yards down the middle. That technology is good. It's very far giving. I enjoy it. So the Bob Manifesto, the Bob Manifesto, a lot of you know, trendy money coming into Bob, to Pj's chagrin. Pj's anxious about all the people on the Bob and cam bandwagons. He's like, it's over. I'm done, I'm out of here. It's over.
Speaker 1: I feel bad for PJ and Joseph with what cam be coming. But he did give a great press conference. I think he's getting, you know, this thing that happened with Scottie. And we're so quick to to label players boring or dial tones and and and their infancy on the PGA tour. But it's like, okay, like you get used to having a mic in your face all the time, and you start to see Cam Young like he's starting to deliver some good questions, good answers.
Speaker 2: I didn't catch. That's one of the few I didn't catch because I figured the boys had his covert in that press conference.
Speaker 1: But if you've been.
Speaker 2: Paying attention to Lunch with the Boys, you saw there was some some zip there and some interest in some brains, and some thought, uh, he's delivered in those settings.
Speaker 1: So that's good to do what you just said, if you pay attention to the boy Lunch with the Boys, Yeah, if you'd seen it, who doesn't pay attention?
Speaker 2: Well maybe with the boys, not enough people, not enough people will come in and ask, you know, but all questions. I suppose, all right, we get to the top storylines, the top contenders here, as a preview podcast might do. Yeah, I think the number one story is probably Rory McElroy. I guess you know. Ranking these is like ranking the instructors. It's very very arbitrary. It don't actually mean one's more important than the other.
Speaker 1: But how dare you not put a live guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That means I'm hating on live. I actually think that I said that on Sunday. I thought that was the most interesting dynamic coming into this pot. This this Master's rory. He's back. He talked today, said if we never start the next Masters again, I'd be okay. Whereas before it's like, can we start the next Masters? Like in a minute? These Tuesday and Wednesday is interminable, getting to the shots and getting into the tournament. A good press conference, that that's how we want to talk about press conferences. But he seems to be loving and reveling, and who wouldn't be in his position of defending Champ.
Speaker 1: I mean, just a completely different human being at the press conference. You know, they they last I guess I think this is my fifth year, but the last four have been in this tense of the press conference, like you know, that's just air hanging in the room of uh, is this guy going to get this done? You know, seemingly most people in the room wanting him to get it done. But but you know what, what's it gonna be? What's gonna happen this year? And and now, I mean I loved his crack about about the Irish food. I mean, he was he was laying down jokes. You know, he is he was light hearted. Yea, yeah, and uh, I gotta say, I I think I've turned on. I was, you know, he hadn't done a ton of stuff this year. He's played okay, obviously finished runner up at RIV I think the bay Hill Tournament he probably was trending.
Speaker 2: To be a.
Speaker 1: Real figurative uh uh persona in the in the closing stretches of that tournament before he hurt the back and then you have the players, which is like kind of like an incomplete right, Yeah, and you know that you it threw it throws you off the scent of him. But I think he's got a real shot of defending. And I don't know, I know that's not like going out on a limb, But I the more and more I obviously watched him in the press conference, in the little golf I watched of him, he looks really sharp. In particular, the thing I was impressed with was the short game, hitting shots around the greens. He's like basically almost holding everything he was hitting. And I think he's just prime for a really good week. And I think he's kind of like you know, you listen to that Amazon doc and unlocking that that feeling of I don't have to play perfect to win. I think is a huge, huge piece of this for him. And he knows like he made a ton of mistakes last and he's still won. Yeah, and I think that's got to be a pretty freeing feeling. And uh, I think he you know, listen, I wouldn't. I know, he's he's fourth in odds.
Speaker 2: Oh well, then just forget about it. Let's just not even watch it.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that was the thing last year. You know, statistically, nobody's ever come back from you know what, was he seven down in the.
Speaker 2: First round something? He was even right twenty of the last three rajors.
Speaker 1: So we stopped playing the game. We've got to stop playing the game. But I would, I would, I would bump him up on that board. So yeah, I think there's bigger questions about about Bryson to Shambeau and rom and you know, like Scotty, there's some questions there, like I don't think you're going to win this tournament with the with the way the golf course is primed up if you're not hitting really good iron shots.
Speaker 2: It is interesting for Rory. I want to say it's opened up for him, But like that back, you know, thing doesn't creep in and we're like, oh my god, he's going to go back to back with the way that the other top names and contenders are playing. Yeah, he seems it's it's interesting to watch him go around now right, and you're trying to articulate something that is not definable. It is not is to the definition of intangible tense. And we watched him at three go round and he's just like three a very very important hole to practice short game, clearly, and he's just flipping them to two feet and putting them like right on his marks from across the grain into a left pins like right in the jar at perfect pace. And he just seems like the short game, like you said, seems incredibly dialed in. I know the players thing. It's just sort of like a proof of concept that you can It's the opposite of what we've seen from Colin Morrikala this week, to be frank, like, he had speed left the field and strokes gained off the tee. His game was not sharp and he finished T forty eight or whatever. I think that's what it was made the cut. So I just like, I'm it's not ideal. I suppose that he hasn't made a PGA tour start in about a month, But it seems like it's his. It's his to repeat again, and who knows once he gets past the whole Champs dinner tonight, sounds like he's gonna be Really he's put a lot of thought into that. I think he probably wishes Tiger and Phil were there for different reasons based on what he was saying today, and I don't know, you know, just talk about just having all the great champions in history there.
Speaker 1: Do you think he wishes Jacob Bridgeman was there?
Speaker 2: Why because he's number one in the world or.
Speaker 1: What because he has such good thoughts on Tiger.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that. Un quotable. The most insane question of the week goes to who Jacob Bridgman? Who could have saw that coming? Figured it would be you know, Bryson or somebody. Yeah. No, he seems like a very very strong, strong contender to repeat. I think having seventeen starts, it's a massive, massive deal. And where is like literally twelve months ago from now, it was like a sort of boa constrictor, like like ripping at him or like squeezing him, And now all of a sudden, it's like the biggest asset ever. It's an interesting dynamic how you can just flip it like that, because it is. It is a huge advantage. Now with the blend that the sort of mental strategy and the mental weight, the emotional stuff gone, it seems like all of a sudden, seventeen starts as a massive deal combined with the talent of where his game is.
Speaker 1: I mean just look at the lead up here, right, and I mean you look at what Ernie used to what he said about the place, like it's just like a torture chamber for me, you know, it's just where everything goes wrong that can't possibly go wrong. That was the road that Rory was heading down, and you saw it from his actions like he was he was spending as little time as possible here. Yeah, and then this year he's just around, you know, I think like he was so down to business last year it was like, you know, you could see you in his own world and maybe this is a reason to fade him, but I think it's just more of the comfort level and like reveling, you know, enjoying the moment, which is you know, half the battle with golf. You have to be able to like laugh about the stuff that happens. But you uh, you see it. You know, he got here on Saturday last year. Last year, he got there on Tuesday afternoon.
Speaker 2: My favorite was the press conference.
Speaker 1: Harry was wearing eighty I think he was wearing eighty seven his caddy my share, so which means you're the eighty seventh player and check.
Speaker 2: Kid, yep, yeah, I love. The best was the press conference where like they quick walked us right the opposite of the day, where like Rory's on his way to the in and then he was already down there and then he was out right away. They gave him five questions and got all the big fat sports writers tumbling down the stairs to get to him, and then he's gone. This was quite the opposite. He was holding court today in his green jacket.
Speaker 1: So what's storyline two for you?
Speaker 2: What's I don't know, Scotti contender number two. I think I'm gonna group the boys together the next that will go Ron Bryce.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that you put Scotty to and you don't have Rob and bryceon ahead of them.
Speaker 2: Well, they can come for me if they want. You know, if you're listening to Pat Reid. They haven't been playing real golf if you listen to Pat Reid. So what am I supposed to make? That's not me live bots, that's Patrick Greed.
Speaker 3: That was a guy they.
Speaker 2: Were defending for years. Scotty's number two. He's got Remy in tow so who knows what comes with that? All all the motivational perspectives Remy gives them, you know, pump up win one for Remy speeches as he walks out the door every morning.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's a potential Gary Nicholas like situation where you know, Gary Gary shovels snow like everybody else. Do you think that that Scotty if thigs go south, he could blame that. The baby's been getting up and then you know, he's the first first couple of weeks are rough, rough times. I don't like the baby's got to be like a separate wing of the house.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, oh yeah, yeah, I don't understand. Well, yeah, he's had two kids and both of essentially been at or on the masters.
Speaker 1: Yeah I didn't even think about that.
Speaker 2: I mean, whatever, that's great, but but now, yeah, I'm sure he's taking care of himself. And that the baby's not going to impact. They'll they'll figure it out. He's got enough enough protocols in place.
Speaker 1: Maybe Scott's handle in it, Scott Scheffler, Yeah, Granddad sure, sure, granddad and grandma sure.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Meredith has it under control as well. That's really the only storyline with Scottie. He had a kid. He's one twice story joking, He's here here twice. He's sort of the great modern master's player, defining modern as you know, last ten years and multiple major, multiple Masters winners, as I talked to Joseph about a week ago, is like kind of a relic of the eighties and nineties and post Tiger and Phil era, Like that hasn't happened. Bubba's picked off two. It just hasn't been a thing like could Rory win four of the next however ten I'm joking, but three of the next ten, I don't know, three total, could be. Scotty certainly is in line for three.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean the golf course is so great for him, you know, you look at it. I mean the harder it gets too with this week, like with the expected weather, you're gonna have to hit high towering precise iron shots, and the other thing is gonna put a huge emphasis on his leg putting a short game because you're gonna miss with the golf course getting you know, as firm as I would expect it to get. You know, with Scotty, you know, he's kind of like the uh the interview UH, you know where the guy said like, don't don't write that I'm mad.
Speaker 2: Don't put in the paper on that time.
Speaker 1: He's like, you know, he's set this absurd standard, and like part of he like sympathizes with him. He has set an insane standard the last three years, but like quantifiably he is struggling for his insane standard that he's set while still being one of the five best players in the world. You know, and you know, as much as he says that, you know, I'm not unhappy with what I'm due.
Speaker 2: You know, like your expectations of me are not my expectations.
Speaker 1: He has set this expectation and he hasn't been himself in in the last you know, six six or seven weeks of competitive play and a really all year. He didn't play great in the UH, in the PGA, in PGA West UH and he won, you know, it was like kind of his B or C game playing there, and and so now you see, like, Okay, his irons haven't been up to snuff. If that continues this week, it's gonna put a lot of pressure on a short game. But he's one of those guys that, like you watch him play and you're like, I don't know how he just shot sixty eight with what he had, but he's going to it's very you know, listen, like everybody's always like, oh, this guy's the next Speef. Like Spee that his prime had a great, great iron play. He made a lot of putts, mid range putts, he got up down all the time. Scotty does a lot of that. And Scotty's short game is always going to fly under the radar because of how good his iron play is. But like God like he is, he the guy can sleepwalk his way to like sixties sixty eight, sixty nine out here.
Speaker 2: He's he's yeah, he's having what a Q one going to the Masters that most every other pro would like dream about, like that would be I don't want to say career here, but I would be fully informed and extremely happy. And here we are talking about him. He's He's honestly among the best on the PGA Tour in literally almost every statistical category right now. But his iron play is by Scotty standard. I'm gonna use word bad. I'm gonna use the word bad. It's middle of the pack for the tour eightieth by Scotty Seiars. That's bad. Everything else is still like top top, top tier, super elite. Can you get around Augusta? Can you win the Masters having an average ironweek? Probably not, even if you're Scotty Shuffler. But if you're around the grain is number one, maybe you make up for it. Maybe you can make up for it. It seems like it's going to be, like you said, the ideal test that Augusta would want, which you would think would be firm and fast. It was interesting to listen to Rob today say like, look, they finally have a couple of years of firm and fast, right, it's for every Masters. And Phil talked about this, you know, eight years ago or so. It's like it's never firm here, it's not firm here. Seems like they've found a little bit in mother Nature's part of that Lickser, and we'll see Scotty in those conditions which he won in twenty four.
Speaker 1: Something unique with this year is I do think it's interesting that typically you see the top contenders play one time between the players, and here, I don't know if it's the way the calendar felt fell, but you know, we're not getting we we didn't get that start in between from most and I think it's kind of like a grab bag like in one part, like you know, with Rory as obviously some injury rehab and then you know he he talked about getting sharper, but he was gone out of the light for three weeks, and Scotty is the same way. Scotty hasn't We haven't seen Scotty in three weeks like he could have. You know, you know, I know Brandle insinuated maybe there's an injury. Is backswing shorter than it's ever been, you know, maybe there was something there, and and he in three weeks is short up and he comes out just blazing like I to me, I expect him to be a contender deep in this this tournament. I think a dream scenario is you get any combination of of Scotty, Rory and Uh and Bryson and Ram and there, and you've got yourself an incredible term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would think that he like a bad day for him, it's going to be a seventy three, Yeah, and he's gonna post probably a sixty eight or at some point if Yeah, it's just hard to see him not being in the mix. So not the favorite though. I don't know if he is. They know he is in odds, but it just doesn't feel like it right now.
Speaker 1: Who would you say is the favorite?
Speaker 2: It feels like John Rams the favorite. It's transitioning to sort of appease the live and crowd. Here feels like John Ram is the favorite right now. He's playing excellent golf through the first quarter of the year. He's one on live, which you know is a bugaboo getting across the line. Can't top ten everything been a while, It had been a while. His statistical profile is really strong. He's won here before. We know he's if not a top the top player in the world, he's always going to be top three to four. He talked about some really bad habits and even winning with bad habits that had started on set, about the takeaway and losing a cut left, losing the ball further left, which is the worst feeling in the world as a cutter. That said, I think I have like I just have questions about both him and Bryson, but then we'll get to him individually. Of course he's a great pick go with that to win. I thought he sort of he sort of shorted himself today when he talked about how he won in twenty three. Well, like that just was a different course than what we normally play. And he wasn't saying he got lucky, but it's just it was a different tournament than the one that will be this week, and a different tournament than the one that has happened the past two years. It was just about surviving cold and surviving win and surviving rain and body bagging, body backing Brooks preciate didn't like that one, but teeing it low and just keeping it in the keeping it, you know, between the trees. Uh, I don't know. It felt like sort of shorting himself and like I didn't win. I don't want to say it was like that whole people you dained them if you win a real like PGA on a real course, or it was soft for your US Open, or like it was like kind of he was. This was him talking not anyone else. It felt like he was sort of dating his win.
Speaker 1: I think there's you know, he's come out and he's playing a lot of really great golf. I found there's a really interesting parallel here in similarity to Rory last year. So if you think about he talked about he got into some bad habits the last couple of years, and he spent three months, he did a lot of good work and set the base of how I played this year. If you remember last year, Rory talks about going to New York and hitting golf balls into a net without like this, basically without the simulator on and not thinking about flight at all, and working out some of the bad habits he felt had gotten into his swing. And sure enough he came out the next year, he was the best player leading into the Masters, and it carried over. So if you're making when I was, I didn't go to this press conference. When I was reading this, I just immediately drew to like the idea of like he had three months off and he did a lot of work on just cleaning up mechanics, and he's come out and as data golf, you know our friends at data golf, the data world, like dat golf. I like data golf too. I don't like some people's interpretations of data golf. But you know, but the you know, categorically just like Rory has been the best player in the world since he's done this work, cleaning up his root, his his kind of habits and and just technique. It's and his run leading into this well, it's a completely different tour is very similar. All high finishes a couple of wins and you gotta you gotta think, I mean, he he's a force man when he gets out there. I you know, I constantly find myself wondering about, like what would Scotty's run look like if Rom was around on tour as he was like basically in that year that Scotty ascended to the player we know, And I wonder would we say, would Scotty have a couple less tournaments if John Rom was around? Because to me, John Rahm is an intimidating guy we just talked about like that. You go back to that Brooks Major, and he is he is a force in there. He's he's a yeah, he's a physical guy. Like he's a tough guy to go against. We see it every year in the Ryder Cup, there's something that he has an edge to him, and I you know this, this just drew such parallels to Rory last year, and the statistics kind of bear it out.
Speaker 2: No real, no real like pressure about like getting across, Like he has the jacket all right, he's already done, and he's talked about the treasure of going to the Champions dinner. So yeah, he's, uh, he's an easy pick to win. What about Bryson, his compatriot on the Live tour, on the l iv tour as couples for a couple seems to call it.
Speaker 1: I mean, Bryce's press conference has always cinema.
Speaker 2: You know, we sat in there and I had to stifle a laugh like five or six different times. Not because he's I'm mocking him. He's just an incredible show, an incredible roller coaster. It's just what changed between being unable to do anything here and now and winning, you know, top ten in the last two years. Equipment number one reason. Equipment two was mentality, though he didn't talk too much about. Then three was body. He said he was huffing and puffing because he was too burly. Early on five six years ago, it was a total show. About equipment, a lot of growing the game talk and YouTube talk per usual. And he's building. He's building clubs himself, like he's in the garage. He's building clubs himself. You know, he's he wouldn't say with who, he's just I don't know what that means. They wouldn't say with them, just building them myself. You know, he's you know, we got the tools going.
Speaker 1: I thought his most interesting answer was talking about why he's had trouble with approach play here with the into the green I don't think he you know, I guess the likes when players talk about that. But because he was quick to try and like change it the way they bow, I think he said uh uh. The end of the green grass coupled with wind and his ball coming out spinny, what I thought was fascinating. And there's gotta be you know, I assume he's put this together. But he talked about three shots in particular, the second shot into seven, the second shot in to nine, and the second shot into eighteen. Brenda, what are all those have in common? What'd you say uphill seven? He's see He called those out as the ones he struggles with the most. It's kind of like, I don't think this stuff gets asked enough, like what what do you struggle with? But it's fascinating. Two with Rory last year his bain thing. I struggled with seven of fourteen and seventeen teen. They all run in the same direction with the same cant and the slope. And here's bryceon talking about I struggle with seven, nine and eighteen all approach shots with the with the grain judging distance, you know, which is always kind of the issue with him, the spin in the distance on approachests to go uphill. You know, I don't know. I don't know how you go about like you know, if you're him dialing in the spin. It seems like maybe one of the aspects he's obviously a very high spin player, is when the ball gets up over the over the tree line, you know where, how do you gauge that? And thankfully here, unlike the PGA tour, you're know how to use phones to gauge things.
Speaker 2: I'll push back about the phone.
Speaker 1: It's a compass, but still I'd love if the guy carried a compass, had a real compass.
Speaker 2: I just the visual of the guy taking the phone out on those it's just not a good look. The grain talk is they made the maybe they don't like it. But Ron was talking about that too. Underrated hard shots, he said, into the grain approaches on thirteen fifteen when you're playing a three shots like those are undered because you're into the grain half wedges. But like that is a common theme throughout it.
Speaker 1: Why do they can we take a pause here though, with the Rom sidebar. So you talked about I loved this, so everybody all the rage is risk reward holes right short par five's short part fours and people talk about like, what do you you know? What makes this great hole? And I think Rom's answer about those two shots being underrated and under talked about hard shots is the web shots into thirteen and fifteen illuminate. Why those holes are so great is that you stand in.
Speaker 3: The fairway.
Speaker 1: And the shot into the green is exceptionally hard, and at the core of you you don't really want to hit it m M because there's so much trouble. You can see all the things that can go wrong. I'm thirteen. You've got that azaleas on the left, the creek on the right, no good spot to bail, and you're terrified of it and you have this hook lie that like, if you underread it, you go into the creek and the ball and if you overready or you overread it, you go in the creek. If you underread it, you go in the azaleas. Fifteen. You just look at that and it's just like, how do I hit this pimple that's coming up out of the ground and like get my ball to stop on the hood of a car? Right, But the aspect of that, these are shots you don't want to have to hit. You think about, oh, I can lay up, but then the layup you're like, wait, I don't want to hit the wedge either, So you're laying up into a spot you don't want to be. But you're then you're making a decision from a shot you don't want to hit. So it's like pick your poison, and that's what makes the hole so what so great. It's not this like risk reward where you just have like this easy shot. There's still hard shots.
Speaker 2: We watched Cameron Young yesterday at fifteen and the layup zone middle middle, middle back, a little bit not not down too close to the water. Middle hit one into the front bank, right back into the water, hit one law by a good through the green, hit one in the middle and spun it off into the water. And at that point Pj's like it's over. It's so over. He's freaking out. Three like nowhere closet.
Speaker 3: Cam, Mercedes Benz producer Cam here to fire the first it was over.
Speaker 1: I don't know you could get it get it up. I didn't know you you you could figure that technology out.
Speaker 4: You know it's no g OS technology. But I think I think we're pretty good. Yeah, you've been riding around in the geo ho. What are your thoughts. You've been in the back seat mostly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, back seat, but warmer, that's the good stuff right there.
Speaker 1: Did you use it this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He did? Cooling seats they can call later.
Speaker 1: That could be this weekend. We could be hitting the.
Speaker 2: Out at four or five o'clock and it's hot.
Speaker 3: I like that seat. I want to fire back. The wedges are always bad, Okay, they're never good.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's the end of what's in the water in the in the met section. Got her up's not good with wedges, and Cam's not good.
Speaker 3: We're just we're just here to bombing around.
Speaker 2: Just basher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that all that's going on up in New York is New York descilling the game.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I walked myself into a trap here. I don't like where I'm at taking myself.
Speaker 2: Probably gotta get your wedges right if you want to play Augusta. No, that seems like a yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean you would think that he's done all right for himself to this.
Speaker 1: All right, Hey, I want you to interject. BP's just had the run of the show, of the storylines, what would be your next storyline after after Bryson.
Speaker 3: Well, we're going to the course according to my PTI sidebar here, So you guys, you guys, take it away.
Speaker 1: We have talked.
Speaker 2: We've talked about the course plenty. I honestly I'm going off with BP's run. Just I didn't send you that. I just send it that in order. You're you're off. You're off on that. One more thing on Bryson, he is the most by far like trick or treat player in this field for me, like it could I have no, he's one last two live. I have no idea what to expect. It seems like he's cracked the code here.
Speaker 1: He's gotten over his emotional burden in South Africa too.
Speaker 2: Not talking about it, not talking about We're not talking about it. Brennan Quinn trying to go there. He couldn't finish his question. God knows what happened. He just seems the most fascinating player by a mile in the field. I he could win it if he wanted. It would not be surprising if he m seed. I also wouldn't be surprised at all. That would be more surprised VM seed than he wanted, quite frankly. But like the last time we saw him here was so bad, like the last three four hours. Then all of a sudden, you know he was bad at Oakmont. Finally gets it going at an open in Port Rush, and all of a sudden he's like, I'm not I honestly don't know what to make And there was all the you know is around the game. Greame hasn't been good enough for Augusta and the single length Wedges it all like he is the most He's incredibly talent. I don't know. I don't know what to make of Bryson. Probably top ten, but that feels like the most likely thing. It's crazy. He feels like a real Trigg or treat.
Speaker 1: Guy right now, we've gone We've come so far from his days where we could put him in a prop bet against Larry Mice.
Speaker 2: That was a real thing.
Speaker 1: The I think the thing about Bryson, he talked about it in this press or about he's just gotten gotten a little bit more conservative around here and realize, like I think this is just the reality of the super duper elite guys. Yeah, August is set up. You're just gonna run into Birdie's. I mean, if you are a good player, you are going to make Birdie's here, so you don't have to do you don't have to move heaven and Earth to get on the leaderboard and moving up the leader board. As long as you is, you don't make like huge cataclysmic mistake mistakes, catastrophic mistakes, you know. And and I think that's the thing. You know, he just talked about playing a little bit defensive. I feel like we we have hit the big time competitive contenders. Yes, Like I think those four are kind of like out in front of everybody else right now in terms of who would you put. You talked about Spieth being the most interesting story possible, the best story.
Speaker 2: I got a lot of support for that take on the ground when I walked in.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you did. I mean, you're not going to find more support for you know, the player that's that's been middling uh over the last you know, five years, six years? Say he was going to win, Well, I'm just he's not a real contender.
Speaker 2: People put a charge into the ground and even your can't deny it.
Speaker 1: I'm not. It's not cold heart, just operating from a state of reality. Okay, but if we take nation, I don't disagree that Speeth would be like the best possible winner.
Speaker 2: There we go. Ok So we're all in agreement.
Speaker 1: But who do you think of the other guys is the most realistic contender?
Speaker 2: Cameron Young?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: I think?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Okay, I think, so what about you?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't I appreciate your support. Not where, not even where I would have gone as the fifth player.
Speaker 2: I mean, it would have been Colin Morricowo. But obviously I don't know that he's gonna play.
Speaker 1: That seems like a nicey situation playing in a foursome yesterday but not playing.
Speaker 2: It's like, why is he with four or three other guys just walking to the front of the Green.
Speaker 3: It was kind of depressing. I feel bad. I hope he's okay.
Speaker 2: Bad.
Speaker 1: I probably feel the best about Ludwig being in the mix.
Speaker 2: Yep, he was up there for sure.
Speaker 1: I think there's been a lot of talk about him having Sunday struggles, and I think the name of the game in this sport is just putting yourself into this into contention. Cameron Young talked about this a lot in his in his presser, and he's so spot on. You just have to get there. You have to get to the spot and give yourself a chance to have good things happen to you, and give yourself a chance to play a great round of golf. And I think like a lot of people are are down on Ludwig because of what happened at Valero. To me, what I see as a guy that has gotten in the mix multiple times in the last month, and I think, you know, listen, I don't think he's going to be in the mix again. He joined a list of golfers of of he could be the fourth player that finishes in the top ten in his first three Masters, it's Xalatorus, Ralph Goodal and I can't remember the fourth was a problem yeah, he was a problem, but it was another player of the Ralph goodal uh yeah, person, it wasn't a lot. I can't remember who the fourth is, but he could he joins his list. It's just I don't see foresee a situation where he is not in the mix, given his run from Bayhill up and I he's been right there. And what's you know the story, you know is we've seen this like it flips quick on like if you get in the mix a lot of the masters from where it becomes like, oh he's a great fit. He's a great fit. He's a snake bitten and he's had some like kind of like you know, tough moments, whether it's the ball in the water on eleven in twenty four or the finish last year seventeen. Yeah, and uh, but I think he's going to be god Man FaceTime a FaceTime somebody's breaking through the do not just or But anyways, the I think that's the thing with.
Speaker 2: Yourself in the battle he's Yeah, he seems like it's a fair assessment. He should probably be in the mix. We know he will be arriving to the course in comfort and in style because he is a Mercedes Benz ambassador.
Speaker 1: Everybody is he sounded advantage this week?
Speaker 2: They do. They do have a lot of cars in the Augusta. All the guys are driving if they want. I don't know if they all are, but yes, that was by the way, that was the best story from Rory's press conference. Is like last year he got invited to the dinner at the clubhouse and he drove in at whatever six o'clock on Tuesday, and all the past champions were out on the balcony. I think I assume the front balcony outside the champions locker room, and like He's like, oh shit, they can't see me. I just want to go to dinner. I got invited to dinner. That was great, Like a great visual and piece of color driving it.
Speaker 1: It gives you such a lens into why Rory McLeroy is this unique star. Yeah, he gave you like he basically gave you his inner thoughts of this would be so awkward if I drove up here and got out, So I'm gonna like drive over here. That's exactly the way.
Speaker 2: For a few weirdos in this field, right, Like that's like, oh, why I gotta figure this out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's kind of like when you like know you're going somewhere that like maybe an axis has been it's like, well, oh, like I see him, I'm gonna go this way.
Speaker 2: I'm here for dinner, but not your dinner. Sorry, is like running. Yeah, of course it's an incredible bit. But we do know whether you're driving for the champions dinner or whatever it is. You know, I think for sure is in a Mercedes bed.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, I think our covers is gonna be better because we're so comfortable.
Speaker 2: We are so comfortable, we're safe. They offered a wide range of SUVs from compact to full size. We got the g LS this week with three rows.
Speaker 1: Interject here, Yes, these SUVs are awesome. I got in a ended an uber. Uh that that was a g LB. Okay, it's one of their smaller ones. It's got three rows, and I was sitting in it, and I was in the back seat like you get in a lot of the smaller recupes. Yeah, the way they have they have manufactured uh space. Yeah, it's so comfortable in the back seat. And that is so comfortable for a smaller suv like these. You know, masters of engineering love it.
Speaker 2: They got the Burmester three D surround system, which we put to the test this morning with burmister not bur mister mean one track, Burmister three D surround system. We put to the test this morning. On the way to the course. You can experience the power, precision and versatility of the Mercedes Benz SUVs at n b U s A dot com slash the dash Masters nb USA dot com the dash Masters check it out for the check it out there, and we're pumped to be riding in style this week with them. All right, last big storyline you mentioned Ludwig golf Course. I honestly don't think we need to say much more about the golf course other than it is perfectly set up. I would say my big like red flag warning flag is like whatever you're hearing these first two days is probably not what it's gonna be Thursday and Friday, I think allegedly not Like definitely, Rory was overheard saying like this was absolutely totally different. They've totally taken like the fire out of it from a week ago, like they can do that here.
Speaker 1: Also, I would just point out, because this is what generally happens, there will be knee jerk reactions on Thursday and be oh what, Like the point of a setup of a golf tournament they to get the golf course playing the best it possibly can on Sunday afternoon. So you are, you are trying and obviously you wanted to perform at a great level every single day, but you want that thing to peak on the weekend. So you are, you are just it's kind of like a swimmer, you know, where you caper and you get like they put I'm sure they it's it's a little bit slower, but like this is this is all the stories of old This is what you used to hear, and I think you hear it way less than you used to. Was Like, you know, the difference between Wednesday and Thursday is greater than any golf tournament in America. The speed and the ferocity of the golf course.
Speaker 2: A unique aspect of the Masters, though, is that it's usually the hardest on like Thursday, Friday, and then Sunday. Like if you're just talking about heart set up, you're ye, sad set up, Yeah, just talking about hard. It's like conditionings may be perfect for Sunday, but that does not necessarily mean like the US Open fashion of like this is going to be as hard as possible.
Speaker 1: It just means they want the fireworks. Yeah, they want swings.
Speaker 2: They want a sixty five out there, if you can do it.
Speaker 1: I think that the steps that they've taken in recent years have kind of undoing what they did to the course in two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight era, the thick rough, the over planeted trees. Like what you're seeing is the golf the club, in the in the masters, the tournament committee. Really I understanding the golf course. The golf course is built. What makes this place special, what makes people love it is the variability and the idea that anything can happen out there.
Speaker 2: So golf course is set up perfectly. Any other names, top names, favorites who want cam Colin, I think we're going to get to pee read here in a minute, Bridgeman, others, uh.
Speaker 3: Peach, Sanders, Shaffley, I have a big pick. My number five is forgotten. The top four I just forgotten. I think I think the forum coming in and you want to talk about a guy Andy who has found himself in situations a lot and chances to win, specifically here, I I think It's setting up very very well for Xander right now.
Speaker 1: He'd be all a sudden in the Grand Slam cop and the US.
Speaker 3: Opens his best major right traditionally.
Speaker 1: Would be kind of a Scottie and him Duke.
Speaker 3: That would be nuts, that would be sick.
Speaker 1: Well, honestly, I think that just bumped up that that potential just bumped him up in in storylines. Maybe I think he's the best story.
Speaker 2: Xander hasn't even had like a press conference yet, has he? They didn't have it.
Speaker 1: He's got the Brooks slight too.
Speaker 2: He does have the Brooks chip on.
Speaker 3: I love it. It's all setting up for x Baby. There was an app update this week. I will confirm app update. He's just got new merch on the app. There's a photo gallery from the players now. Uh. And there's one little like you know, ap news blur about Xander's playing the Masters. Fun fact from the app though, skip being Quail Hollowsander is is he not on his schedule? Announcements no truth trust.
Speaker 1: No Xander or Scott gott who could both be going for the career Grand Slam.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Interesting, Well, I'm glad we got truest trues, you know. I try to love it.
Speaker 1: Well, they probably just don't want to go there because it's Rory Alley.
Speaker 2: That's true. That's I mean that it is interesting how Xander's just I'm sure that the touts and tipsters have Xander all in their crossairs, but he has been gone under the radar.
Speaker 1: I asked one of our favorite favorite gambling colleagues what his models were looking at, and he said, my models don't spit out anything until until the game's biggest gambling podcast goes.
Speaker 2: I love that. We'll do picks here at the end. We've we've up to our gambling podcast Bona Fides with a family member of mine winning eight hundred person entry uh a tournament.
Speaker 1: She going to Disneyland.
Speaker 2: I don't know. The six year old came into several thousand.
Speaker 1: What have we got next on our schedule?
Speaker 2: Let's do tea times, times to watch the best and worst times.
Speaker 1: This is a favorite tradition. I gotta say, can we just all go around. We'll do this like a draft, our favorite one and then our favorite.
Speaker 2: All right, number one, number one, you can go first. Ah, there's so many to choose from. There's so many to choose from. I'm gonna go number one with a bullet down bad the twenty twenty two or is the twenty three US Open, twenty three US Open champion, But he's down bad. If he's in this, he was in this teeth time. But he should consider it a privilege, in an honor to be playing Wyndham Clark alongside Mike Weir and the great amateur Matteo Paulsini, the Burliest of Boys, Amateur Asia or South Latin America Amateur winner. What a pairing number one and clearing away? What a trio you have? A guy ostensibly at the top of the world rankings should be at the top of his game. One of major is in you know all these rankings is you know, the speed boy. He should be there playing with Mike Weir who's just throwing wounded ducks up in the air left and right. Matteo Pulcini, who like to be to be you know kind wasn't really in the Arkansas rotation and sort of what what are you looking at?
Speaker 1: Sho you steal my pen?
Speaker 2: No, this is my pen, Absolutely my pen, Get the hell out of here. And Matteo Pulcini, who just can't get a cup of coffee at Arkansas and because sort of just found his way into the masters field and you know, it's just the shirttail fighting for its life. That is an incredible tea time. I love it all. Three.
Speaker 1: Hey, I think it's time for our first storyline that nobody's talking about.
Speaker 2: DJs on the Fritz.
Speaker 1: Now, well we're on this topic. I was walking up towards the eighth t yesterday and you know, one of my favorite things is walking around here alone, no cell phone, nothing to distract me, fully present, sure, and some patrons were chatting and they were like, who is that up on this he and all of a sudden, you know, I start I start looking up and they can't tell who it is. And the ball he swings and he hits, you know, eight full flaps driver swing there, and all of a sudden it just makes this muffled sound and the patrons go, oh, that sounded terrible. And one of them goes, he sounded like one of my drives. And my question is, is wounded duck We're back?
Speaker 2: I love that that. Those are the reviews from the ground. I mean wounded Duck weirds back? I mean that goes.
Speaker 1: I think we playing by himself. He just was the last prost.
Speaker 2: Up. Come on, you wanted to play to get with your man?
Speaker 1: You know, I saw he was on a podcast, and uh, I thought it was really strange. You know, we had the run in with Buddy Ball, you know, Bud Bud Martin. Yeah, yeah, but Pud Martin sitting in on the podcast like like overlord with us. But you know, he wasn't, at least like on camera. He did a podcast. His wife was sitting right next to him.
Speaker 2: And let you know, she's a celebrity.
Speaker 1: I don't think they were interested. It was like a golf podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh, Michelle Money from The Bachelor or Bachelor Wretch.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they requested it having her on or what. But she's just sitting right now to just telling like in depth golf stories and she's just there, sit in there.
Speaker 2: You know, that's tough, tough scene. Wound, he's weird, he's back. I love that. That's my number one sea that in twenty nineteen first ever SGS and the Masters.
Speaker 1: Unless I witness a shank live, I don't think I'm gonna hear a worse golf shot than that.
Speaker 2: This week On Substantiated Rumor or like apparently Russ Ba Russ Henley. This is from Lamaia. Give me. It's playing a driver that's like six years old and they're asking him like, you know, you could get some more yardage and he's he's not a wounded duck territory, but it's efforting to get that ball out there. It's just an effort. It's sort of a heave and uh it's just no. I like this. I hate it straight like, well, you could get like five more miles an hour? Like no, like this guy. So all right, that's my number one teeth type.
Speaker 1: Did you pick out tea times? I'll give you the second pick here.
Speaker 3: I'm honored. I'm going to take the show me literally, any Proof of Life group of Cam Smith, Sam Burns and Jake Napp? Anything Can I get anything out of any single one of them? I mean, Jake Knap's been playing great, I know, but not in a major so far? Are people are interested in Jake Napp? I've I had a long conversation with somebody about Cameron Smith today. Apparently last year he had a kid and that took away the focus from all for majors.
Speaker 1: You're talking to Australian I won't.
Speaker 3: Say the nationality of this person, but I will say that Cam Smith is apparently.
Speaker 1: Australia without a doubt. You talked to an Australia.
Speaker 3: You get a kid. I'm just saying I I I have. This was one of the first three groups I had start.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's good. That's good. I I don't.
Speaker 3: Know you don't you don't like that pick?
Speaker 1: I tell you, I just don't know what to do. I don't know what.
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 3: I want to see if cam Smith has any absolutely anything to offer, because there's.
Speaker 1: There's two clear groups just left from here, and I can't believe you did pick this one. And I'm so honored that I get this one. And it brings us to our second game storyline nobody's talking about. I've got the eight oh two a m T time our favorite pasters Masters Jose Maria. This is not where I thought you were going Restsneerguard, Peterson R and P. And actually we can knock out two storylines that nobody's talking about, and and the in the big Potty Aldrich Pott.
Speaker 3: Surprise surprise for you, We're gonna knock out three right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a good one. I got nowhere it goes.
Speaker 1: We got three storylines. I'm gonna start here. I'm gonna start with here with with with our first game within the game of the year, of the of the of the tournament. Can Jose Maria take down the big potty?
Speaker 2: I absolutely is the answer.
Speaker 1: Will Jose Maria take it to We've seen him him take on this golf course. He's made the cut a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Within the last four years, and.
Speaker 1: He's got the big potty. Who it's gonna be to be clear, all right, he's a big poty. He I'm I think Jose Maria, this is gonna be the group that I go out and watch from. We had the Bernie Longer Noah Kent croup last year, where you got just somebody who's just gonna be shipping it everywhere and far in pot eater and then you're gonna have Jose Maria playing all the angles, all the angles. This is gonna be the best group to watch the shot trails in comparison, when you can get with those shots early on Thursday morning, load up and you can just you're you're just watching shots. This is the group to watch. So yeah, that's uh, that's one of my storylines that nobody's talking about.
Speaker 3: I think mine should go next. I have I have a potty storyline. Potty is getting prepped for this tea time because I was with him. He was playing the first hole today he's short sighted, trying to get to the pin. Hits three bad wedges said, you know what, screw it, give me the driver, playing it on the ground, chipping with a driver.
Speaker 1: Jose Maria is gonna offend, is Potty short game.
Speaker 3: Patty is prepping and is ready for a lesson from Hose Maria. Putting with a driver.
Speaker 2: I mean this is honestly like taking you know, a master chef, like a Michelin three star whatever chef, dropping.
Speaker 1: Him into frat house and dropping him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, being like just just here, make these robindle, make these two children just tyson dinam nuggets. I mean, think about Jose, like the horrors running through Jose's head. His Potty is just the hands in the short game. What an incredible this is Tea times must watch.
Speaker 1: When he pulled the driver the third pick, I.
Speaker 2: Can't but that was my number one.
Speaker 3: He pulled the driver, I gassed, I actually audibly gassed.
Speaker 1: I want to remind you to vivid memory that I'll never forget. Last year, Jose Maria was literally ten feet away from the ninth, the ninth, the hole on nine, maybe twelve feet fifteen feet, one foot on the fringe, and he was chipping last year a master. God, he's so good.
Speaker 2: I can't believe He's got to watch potty around the greens for the next at least two days, three days.
Speaker 3: We do our third storyline on there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, storylinely zeroed in here R and P.
Speaker 1: Rasmus Nierguard Peterson, big fan of Rasmus. He has a chance to do a rare, rare accomplishment. I don't know if this has ever been done. I'm gonna call it the Fiery Mackenzie Double. He has the chance to win on two famed arguably the two you know you throw cypress, but the two best tournament courses the Mackenzie built within six months of each other, Royal Royal Melbourne and uh and then obviously augusta national.
Speaker 2: Love it the Mackenzie Double. R N. We spoke to a source close to R.
Speaker 5: M P.
Speaker 2: Love the mindset there this morning. He wants to win the par three. I'm gonna win the par three, and then I'm gonna break through that bear or win the Master. I'm not saying this was his. He has a mindset of I'm not gonna be he's not calling a shot here, but I can win the part three, break that curse, and I can break the rookie curse andokie.
Speaker 1: Other cool piece of this was he he was obviously in the ned Bank. He had his car locked up ned Bank, much higher perse total than than the Australian Open. The same week he said to his team, I'm going down to Australia and I'm qualifying for the Masters. And he went down, won the won the Australian Open to get in the Masters. Here's a trend. R and P also humorous for this pod. We learned, UH learned that PPJ. Pitts spirit Tunior, he is aware of his nickname, does not like it, and I would prefer the gentleman in training.
Speaker 3: Maybe I didn't know that far the first part. I didn't know the punch lines the.
Speaker 2: Gentleman in training, gentleman training no longer pittsp He's still paying for the sins of his elders. Yeah, that's all right, all right.
Speaker 1: But also as a gentleman in training, which I liked. I like that.
Speaker 3: I do like the name.
Speaker 2: That's a good one, all right, So I'll go I'll go right behind them with my next pea.
Speaker 3: I knew this is where you're going.
Speaker 2: We are just rumbling and stumbling and opening up holes. We're putting it, putting the ball in the ground.
Speaker 3: RTDB baby rt D.
Speaker 2: Just open up the so holes you could drive a truck through with on Hell Cabrera, Sammy Vallamachi and Jackson Harrington. The Fridge just this is like a straight out of twenty fourteen us GA. I don't think they.
Speaker 3: I told Paul in the media center. I comped it to win. They Shane Lowry group together, and yeah, I think it's dead.
Speaker 2: On Ah, that's a great group. I don't know. I mean, come on, you got a guy named Fridge, Sammy and on Hell who just you know Sauncers down the Fairway. A great group that will bring up another storyline nobody's talking about after them. Woe is Charles Schwartzel, Max Grazerman and Ryan Fox Because we got intel from people who may have to play that. You know, there's aim pointing impacts from the Burley boys when they aim point. When the burliest amongst us aim point, you can kind of hear the integrity of the turf. What if you're in the next group. Yeah, it's tough that these are competitors who've been with the Burley aim pointers say you know the integrity of the turf you've been stopping around may have a bigger impact. Nothing against them, but we did. That was a good nugget we got from someone on the ground. Who what's your next tea time?
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see where Peach goes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I apparently botched my first kick. Yeah, it happens. We all make bad ones. I will go. I'm gonna take the final tea time of the day. I'm gonna take the two Brits and see who kim hers English. Marco Penge formerly known as Pengji, currently known as and sew Kim I was.
Speaker 1: Part of a podcast that's covered Marco Pens in great details.
Speaker 3: Marco penj Win's The Masters You Know Where to find Us?
Speaker 1: I love this. I think that an underrated story from uh from Masters of Old was Seawoo Kim in the heat of contention, breaking his putter and putting with the three. I'll never forget that him putting with a threewood on fifteen. Also, you know, I wish I would have thought about the storyline. I bumped into some some friends of Harry English and we were talking about how he's got a real shot here. You know, every time he teased it up in one of these majors, low Englishmen is in in in the in the cards, and I was, I was a low Englishman, you know, a couple of times in majors here.
Speaker 2: Love that love that good pick. That's a good pick.
Speaker 1: Back on track, baby, all right, I got I'm up next here. I mean, I'm just gonna go with a chalky pick here. P read Tommy.
Speaker 3: Fleetwood an ox pati going on there?
Speaker 1: Now. You know, I've got mixed feelings about going out and watching this. Obviously he read really fast player Tommy, aesthetically pleasing pace of play. It's just got to get better.
Speaker 3: It's hard.
Speaker 1: I wasn't back from being like peak watchable.
Speaker 3: It uh at the players I was. He was playing with Brooks and Tony fen now and I was very frustrated. I just straight up quit on it. I couldn't take it.
Speaker 1: He more frustrated that Tony fenw was in the group or was in the pace of play.
Speaker 3: It's more frustrated by.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that you haven't lost all objectivity. Tony not in the Masters first time in a while, even though every everybody in golf is doing their best to get.
Speaker 2: Him in there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, sponsors exemption, they are.
Speaker 2: Fleetwood had a great press or to just talking about coming here as a fan first. He's so he's so endearing.
Speaker 1: Listen, I'm not a you know, I'm not a doom all private equity human being. You know, that's all private. Actually got the Blackstone hat soap bad, so bad, it's so big after wearing such tasteful.
Speaker 2: He didn't have it on in the pre tasteful reason, tasteful.
Speaker 1: Stuff all all year, and it's just like, oh, this is such a wonderful throwback to the days of Yesterdayear we're talking Tommy knocka Gia. We didn't even talk about it in the eighty six flashback from last Friday is wearing a Master's hat. We we now have just it's so bad.
Speaker 2: He was he was give.
Speaker 1: The money back and give that, give the hat back.
Speaker 2: Setting the money back. He was incredible listening he's perfect. Nine would course that's what he said, nine would's coming out.
Speaker 1: You know, this was illuminating. Actually this place can be firm and you always listen to the you know what was Jack's superpower towering long irons and Tommy who's like every body would put in like the top tier. And this is the difference between like the dudes, dudes and like the really good guys. Him basically saying like I don't have the towering four iron, so I use this nine one. There's it's always like forever, there are only a couple guys that have the towering nine or the towering long iron. I would actually put in there for your tea time. Peach the pinch. The pnch man hits it high.
Speaker 3: He does, ye he does.
Speaker 1: Could be an asset. This week could be a.
Speaker 3: Great podcast where you can hear about it if you're interested.
Speaker 1: That's the one thing that that wasn't talked about with Penche was this high trajectory.
Speaker 3: Everything else was covered.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that's a great one. Fleetwood was fabulous.
Speaker 3: Is that your first on the snake or is that your second?
Speaker 1: Am? I I don't, I don't guess.
Speaker 2: One more. Let's do one more each all right, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna take the well, no, it's pretty p peace turn.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go for one here. All right, you guys can tell there are two millennial parents. Just for millennial fans only the twenty tens to twenty twenty twenties, Hey day.
Speaker 3: Oh boy.
Speaker 2: Where DJ Shane and J Day all one majors in that decade. Or you could go speed Rose in Brooksy just pure millennial play. Those are the glory years of twenty ten to twenty twenty. Uh, those are those really jumped out to me. The Speak Group's fabulous. I love the Speak Rose and Brooksy.
Speaker 1: Group's they they're doing everything that Canada to get him in the hunt.
Speaker 2: Why what do you mean via tea time yea, he still got to play the ball.
Speaker 1: I think he should have gotten the max treatment you.
Speaker 2: Talk about talk about the Jammy. This was playing with Tiger like two years ago. In this Masters, he's with the Japan Open winner who's never played a major. It's like just fluked his way into the Japan Open. And Carlos Ortiz, who I asked p J. How is he in the field? He like top five at the USO.
Speaker 1: I mean there's a real one you literally could late on Sunday where you're like, no, no way, we Carlos Ortiz can't win this.
Speaker 3: I believe we said we'd cancel the podcast if Carlos Ortiz won the USO.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're.
Speaker 2: Max ol Man, you look at your left and you look to your right, and you're like Wyndham Clark, same deal. You see, we're in Paul Chini, you got you like, how did we get here? So all right, what's your next thing?
Speaker 1: I mean, if I'm on the board here, I got Ory cam Young and and Mason Howell, you can my one, my one anecdote here. I know I just jumped you.
Speaker 3: You can take that. I was taking it.
Speaker 1: The Mason Howis got the shake Shack sponsorship really interesting because I read a tweet that went somewhat viral this week calling Mason Howell a true amateur. He's got the shake shack clearly not a NASCAR driver. I love Mason Howe. Yeah, Hey, he's been a podcast of podcast guests. He's a big boy to like. Not he is. He's gonna be He's gonna I think his holl is gonna be problems.
Speaker 3: Watched him play a corner today with Harrison Tank little Dogs barking out.
Speaker 1: There was a group weird. I got it. I got to follow up with uh with Mason Howell about about dog football.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Bubba had a really weird quote about like being able to talk to him because of the recruiting violation. But Bubba's a odd duck these days.
Speaker 1: But Bubba doesn't doesn't. I don't know. The pop's not in the bat.
Speaker 2: He's kind of hobbling.
Speaker 1: I was watching watching him as it's kind of like somebody pointed out though it never looked like it came off that hot, but it just kept.
Speaker 3: It just kept going, yeah, flying, Yeah, interesting.
Speaker 2: Who's your last pick? Peach?
Speaker 3: I'll run us out here with I'm gonna call us the hype Beast group. Oh god, twelve fifteen pm. You got Malbourne, Freddy Couples, min Wu and Fifa. Who's getting a lot of media attentions, Pockety hype piece HiPE East Only. There's gonna be a lot of social catnip coming out of that group.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I kind of love min Wu right now.
Speaker 3: Agree. I think he got totally jammed.
Speaker 1: With this t tex What are you talking? Anytime you play with Fred couples. It's like the that's like as good of a pairing as you're gonna get. Maybe listened to Freddy Stories for for four hours.
Speaker 3: Has rightfully elevated himself into a position where he should be in one of these.
Speaker 1: Kids as you can. I ask you a question, can you promise to be honest? Should min Wou be in the speak spot?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's just it's not it's detached from reality. I'm sorry. Basically a better chance to be I mean DJ is playing with Lowry and Jad, I don't know, Like, come on, I.
Speaker 3: Think min Wou is way above that ground.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree, it's a good pick. It's a good pick.
Speaker 3: He's a decent I would put min Wu in the no Offense to Alex Norn, who I like a lot. I would put him in the Can't Lee Hovelin. I think he's in that teer good trio.
Speaker 2: All right, what about worst Tea Time? Our worst Tea time?
Speaker 1: Out? There is it?
Speaker 3: Max?
Speaker 2: He's in the running.
Speaker 3: I had Weird Wyndham Pulcini, but my other one was Danny Willet, Davis Riley ethan fan.
Speaker 1: You know, I had a that's pretty bad. I hate to keep doing this to my boy. A beautiful line. E. He's probably really after our game on Saturday. Novak, mckivin and Campbell's not doing much for me.
Speaker 2: Not gonna be a lot of people out there. I'm going. I'm going with Kurt Kitty Ama the Kitty Cat, Christopher Wright, Tan and Casey Jarvis. He's played well.
Speaker 1: I don't know how I missed that.
Speaker 2: Really good player lately on the euro Tour. But there's just not gonna be you know, Arnie's Army's not gonna be out there following that group.
Speaker 1: You catch want your Nico minute? Sure he was on Monday. He was wearing a shirt, a baby blue shirt with with big hot air balloons on it. Look like something you'd put a four year old.
Speaker 2: Boy in, like for Eastern Mouth Easter Sunday. That's good, that's good, all right, that's worst tea times with a lot of storylines nobody's talking about mixed.
Speaker 1: You know what we're gonna look, we brought up the apparel. I don't mean to smirch what Nico is wearing. We're gonna be comfortable. We're gonna be We're gonna be in in our scripting, scripting, the Hurley. I was able to wear this because Dan Hurley lost last night, was able to wear this. This is the hurliest one of my favorite new pieces at at b dratty. Go to b dre dot com use the promo code s yes thirty and check out all their new spring stuff, all their new cool fabrics. We're gonna be decked out every day in that uh, in that in that gear. We've got our I think our scripting what comes out tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I don't know. They shouldn't be scripting podcasters. It's a bit people. It's toned cheek.
Speaker 1: I hope the photo shoots stuff to us.
Speaker 2: The photo, the photo shoot from the yards. Ever, it's just it's one of those things. This is your master scripting. Let's do a shoot. As we were doing it. There's not a usable shot anywhere amongst this.
Speaker 3: I mean, you guys are able to wear sunglasses, so it wasn't that bad.
Speaker 2: I couldn't see just glaring sun.
Speaker 3: I could not see one thing.
Speaker 2: I found a new respect for models other than just looking to track like actually, it seems probably pretty hard because I couldn't get there anyways.
Speaker 1: On the next storyline, nobody's talking.
Speaker 3: We're just going back.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, what do we got for today? Nobody's talking about.
Speaker 1: Have you heard about the parking gate this year?
Speaker 3: Oh? I didn't make a graphic for this because we didn't take a picture of the parking lot, but you could talk.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to put it like a people camping. So anyways, a problem illuminated for the for the green I hadn't heard about this.
Speaker 3: Okay, a problem.
Speaker 1: Illuminated for the green jackets. They had to solve.
Speaker 2: A parking illuminated. That's yeah, okay, all right.
Speaker 1: It revealed himself nobody could be camp being in the parking grounds. That is distasteful. So they instituted new rules this year.
Speaker 3: Okay, but here's the thing.
Speaker 1: When you put in new laws, new new rules, you know, things changed. Everything changes. So there's new rules. The parking lots are now close. They close. You have to be out of the lots.
Speaker 3: Did they not previously?
Speaker 1: No, you have to be out of the loss at ten pm.
Speaker 2: I think I know people have left their car there overnight, not because they were trying to have some advantage. They just you know, went out and went home or something.
Speaker 1: So the loss now closed and they reopened at six am. Unfortunately. You know, people are driving from high and far in here, and people get here this is the biggest day of their lives.
Speaker 2: Met a couple that will come at three thirty driving from like an hour away yesterday.
Speaker 1: They get here before six am. So what happens The cars just start piling up.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a nightmare.
Speaker 1: So all of a sudden, they traded. They traded a few people camping camping out just in the lot to do a traffic jam in washing road in every direction. This was this weird and ugly head for Antwha where they debuted this on the weekend was a disaster. Apparently, huge traffic issues at early hours of the morning with like people, the people that need to get there early in the morning are stuck in traffic. Yeah, so this has been this is a this is a storyline to watch.
Speaker 2: Oh you want a good story speaking of camping, I love that heard a story unsubstantiated, extremely unsubstantiated that back in the eighties that a traveling group from a different country, what they've been called foreigners. Back then, you could come in like Monday for nothing like five bucks or whatever you could get in and they stayed and camped in that pocket between where there's now a structure left of six green behind seventy. It was it was very dense woods then, and they stayed through the week and then they started like grilling something and this smoke ratted them out, like they got they got found out because they got smoked out very or like old one of those Augusta legends. But I heard that today that there was a group following one of their you know, foreign icons, and uh yeah, I was camping there. This is a different era. It would not fly today. All right, what else we got? We're doing storylines? Nobody else is talking aboutline? What else do I have?
Speaker 5: Her?
Speaker 2: Oh? Postgrad life?
Speaker 3: What else?
Speaker 2: Postgrad life?
Speaker 1: This?
Speaker 2: These are just notables we should have talked about already. Anyways, postgrad life can keepka and read find life in the real world after getting out of after graduating from Live. This is a new one life. This was the early start was can live guys win at majors?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Now, how can Live grads win at majors? We haven't. This is the first time ever you've been to Live, you've been out of the fire. Can you win at a major?
Speaker 1: How about Reid's commentary about the tournament, like how so good, Like you know, he for anybody that missed it. He basically talked about, like how nice it is the feel of a golf tournament, a feel of golf tournament, and this is so true. Anybody that's played in their club championship has felt this probably and gotten to the finals or the in the mix of a you know, a club tournament where the range is busy and then it just like slowly dissipates out and finally if you're playing at the end, if you're playing the last pairing, you're the only ones there. You know, we saw this last year with like it was like, you know, the stage was set for Rory and Bryson. They're the only two on the range hidden balls, and it's like, you know, this this great moment and there's almost like this tension between the players. And Reid talked about just like how that had been missing from his life and how nice it was for that to be back in his life.
Speaker 2: And it's like, yeah, that was a great quote like the dynamic of I mean, as a podcast called the Shotgun Start, it felt pretty like in a personal attack. But he's not not big on the Shotgun Started as a comes to a competitive environment. It did sound like I don't want to say that was really spur the moment or fly bys. It sounded like he might have just been in Dubai and feeling it, like, hey, I want to go back. I want to go back and do like competitive PGA tour golf. It kind of maybe that happened quicker than we thought. Maybe it didn't, but but the way he was portraying it great quote postgrad life. One more storyline. No one's talking about skip It aftermath. I think skip it might be screwing up players and players swings. I think we need to end skip It. I think I'm done. It feels like just a content thought. Skipp It card Arnival. You got these people in these stands urging everybody to skip it. Now there's caddies skipping it. They're getting in the way of pace of play. For practice rounds, we watched one caddy to top it in the drink two feet in front of him. Another hit a driver across. I just think we need to do away with skip It. I'm no fun league. I'm done with skip it that thing. I mean, you know, my personal thoughts on them.
Speaker 1: We might be sending PJ PJ into the merch tent to get get a skip it hack. We might for a potential experience with you. Those are more few more storyline.
Speaker 3: I got a couple that that you guys haven't seen yet that what's that? I'll throw up here one day more? Can Zach Johnson play four days after dominating three day events recently? Can he go back?
Speaker 1: Oh? This is a this is a question he could lean on with his uh, his friends on the Lift Tour. Maybe he could ask UH, I don't know DJ related they were a Baster's champions. Maybe that's what they're gonna be talking about it.
Speaker 3: They could chop it up, yeah, they there's plenty of live representation, Sergio. He could chop it up with anybody.
Speaker 1: But I think J top ten last year here.
Speaker 3: People forget that. People do forget that. And then we have one from from La Manya that I'll throw in uh. An anonymous player upset about in early morning tea time not not thrilled was not breaking breaking news to this player. Mamaya witnessed it live and this player was laughing maniacally at the fact that he had to get up early tomorrow morning.
Speaker 2: So just wait you Thursday morning?
Speaker 3: Thursday or Thursday morning?
Speaker 2: Should that be key for Homa? We're just we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe that's what about big potty?
Speaker 2: He likes to giggle.
Speaker 3: Couldn't be big potty?
Speaker 1: All right, great, big partty. I've embraced the opportunity to learn from the legend.
Speaker 3: I mean, I hope he he has the driver and he starts. I want to see Ali's head explode. That'd be great.
Speaker 2: Pretty sure she should.
Speaker 1: Probably ask Alli about it if he gets the drive.
Speaker 3: If it happens, I yeah, I think I think I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna watch that Thursday morning.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be great. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: Love it all right? All right? What else do we got? Any other storylines? Quotables? Do we want to get the quotables? I don't have a whole lot.
Speaker 1: I don't have time. I think we've already talked to out most of the quote.
Speaker 2: I just have the quote of the week, the quote of the week or the question of the week. Can you guess who this was asked to? That's from a medium?
Speaker 1: I think I know.
Speaker 2: If you had Tiger Woods in front of you right now, what words of encouragement would you give? Him.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think about like Justin Thomas would be a good person to ask this too. Freddie, Yeah, Freddy Jason Day gave a good a good response to these questions.
Speaker 2: If you had Tiger Woods in front of you right now, what words of encouragement would you give him? Who would you ask this to? Well, this guy asked a Jacob Bridgeman, number one player in the world. The Bridgeman was asked for his thoughts on what lecture he would give Tiger What an insane question from someone who clearly has no concept of the current golf moment. And Bridgeman, like to his to his credit, de mourd and gave him something to work with, and everybody's thinking about him and hoping he can do what's best. Then this dufus follows with the same sentiment with Phil not being here.
Speaker 1: Bridget Richard's never played with Richmond.
Speaker 2: Says, yeah, I don't know. I don't know actually, and he goes, is it going to be odd not to see Phil around here? This is Bridgeman's first so he's never been here. He would doesn't know what odd even or anything. He goes, yeah, I've only played two tournaments in my life. That Phil has been in So not a big change for me, but maybe if I was a spectator watching on TV. But not a big change for me. Who's going at Bridgman about Tiger and Phil?
Speaker 1: I can tell you I was. I was watching this unfold. But I have to give this person props because it also he also I believe, I don't want to I believe this was the same person asking about Tiger rolled over to Jason Day and delivered this question. For long time shotgunners, this was a moment of our Early Masters podcast when we found out that Jay Day was using balloons twenty nineteen. He was using balloons first back issues, and this same reporter did have the wherewithal ask Jason Day do you still do that thing with the balloon, to which Jason Day said, yeah, every now and then, love the balloons. Essentially, what happens is you have to really understand why things go wrong in your body. So for me, my diaphragm tightened up a lot. So the diaphragm, oh god, that like this is you know the transcriptor did not get this right. So when my diaphragm gets a little off, gets a little tight, then things start to react. And you know, I start getting a little tight. Other things happen limits my range of motion through the swing and rotation, so then I creates bad tendencies. So he does a lot of breath work, works with the diaphragm, but still does those balloons, still working with balloons. He's still the balloon boy. Maybe he should have looked into I mean, I loved I loved the best with all the birds on it. Yeah, that was objectively great.
Speaker 2: You liked it, all right?
Speaker 1: Maybe he should he should talk to Nico about getting the hot air balloon.
Speaker 2: Shore love that the hot air balloon.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: One more quote, I would just say Bryson shouting out the Texarcana golf courses breaking fifty is a great master's prep was hilarious.
Speaker 1: Former former length for Moreau golf course. Yeah, I hope one day they restore their length for bureau Greens.
Speaker 2: It looks really cool. Empty in the notebook. Any other quick odds and ends empty in the notebook.
Speaker 1: I know you have them. But we're gonna have live shows every night. A lot of these are ever green. I gotta see anything that has to go.
Speaker 2: We could do. A great one we saw was four Caddies from number one t You know, this is just a practice round tradition. At this point, four caddies in their white jumpsuits got her up. It was Xander's caddy, a couple of.
Speaker 3: There's spawning kitty Cat.
Speaker 2: They were looking at a provocative line off number one, like right into ninth ninth fairway off one that left right over the trees. They were gunning it from that angle up and over the trees to one green. They were all there together shooting it together. Interesting right at the leaderboard. That's a note from the board. Another note hearing rumblings. You know how they collect all the range data on the Masters app and all that that they might bring that to the live leader board. So if so kitty Cat pulls a nine iron on the third why or whatever the fifth toll, they will show you, well, here's this dispersion when he was hitting the nine iron on the range, and they'll have like this are the data front. So that's interesting. I got data overloaded.
Speaker 3: I got a data note.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you got on that?
Speaker 3: I talked to a veteran data collector today who told me his veteran data collector his favorite player is Patrick Cantley because there was lots of time to input the data.
Speaker 1: I gotta I got a couple of notes here. What else? I noticed that Bubba and Max Grazerman were playing together, and I was just wondering, what do you think they were talking about?
Speaker 3: BK joined that group too. When I picked that up, that was an interesting.
Speaker 2: By the way, we gotta we gotta put BK and read in the like mid WU right, right, We're not disrespecting in the mid WU category. Right. It was like sneaky people we should be.
Speaker 3: I don't even think any of them are sneaky at this point.
Speaker 1: I also just want to get in front of this. I think this is going to be a question on on on social media platforms. What's going on with John Rom's hair?
Speaker 3: I noticed that last night.
Speaker 1: I just think this is gonna be a story when when people see it on the cover. Yeah, it is like, wait, it's interesting, what is going on with it? With what's going on in the bag. It's a party in the back. It's it's a different kind of party, different kind of vibe in the back. Yeah, what else?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Then I had one other question. I had a question for you, for you guys. As I watched him stand over a wedge for like ten minutes. Oh boy, is Aaron Rye Washable?
Speaker 3: Watchable?
Speaker 2: We watched him with Michael Brennan, Yester who apparently can watch him to save his life. Michael Brennan, it was tough. We watched him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard, methodical. I don't think he's watchable.
Speaker 2: I mean, practice rounds are extra grueling. If you're trying to watch too, I think it's probably comes out even worse there. He's bad. Last last one one more note for me. Uh, Tiger is really not persona non grata as much as he could be anywhere, right. I don't think, you know, with what they had planned for the patch and the big rollout and all this stuff, and Tiger was going to be a part of that, I don't think the membership and the club and the Master's tournament are super thrilled with the Tiger. And that's just you know, Phil's gone and it just seems like not. I don't know if he was going to try to play, but it just and he's told not. It just doesn't seem like they're super thrilled with how the timing of all that happened right as they were going to do the patch.
Speaker 1: Seems like the PG of America might have dodgable it too.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you. Yeah. On the timing.
Speaker 2: Yeahah, so we have no Phill, no Tiger PJ. By the way, last a little bit of no merch report. You had a great article in the merch tent today. We had sanity. We had a yeah, nomes everywhere. We got prices for the maj On set, three ninety five for tiles, one hundred for the board, and eighty for the bag.
Speaker 3: I don't really play in the Majong marketing place, so that might be a fair price. I couldn't tell you, but it seems like a lot of money.
Speaker 2: We also got word that Golf Channel ran rough shot over early access to ours. Golf Channel people came in and just started apparently.
Speaker 3: Early access for the partners like Ups Mercedes. Yeah, just you know, let them in a little bit early to get some stuff. An apparently Golf Channel heard this, hit it hard hard.
Speaker 2: So let's your merch report read that one. Yeah, we're gonna bring him in. What time? How much more time you got you gotta go?
Speaker 1: I've got twenty minutes, twenty minutes, all right?
Speaker 2: We could do kV I should do all.
Speaker 1: My crazy It's crazy that I have somewhere to go, but I do have a very important dinner date here.
Speaker 2: To You got stuck. Kvv's coming in with his KVV three. Yeah, we don't have a chair.
Speaker 1: You can't do you have enough cord? Do you need to go over the top over over the VP? Yeah?
Speaker 3: There you go?
Speaker 2: All right, what's your CAVV three?
Speaker 1: Why are we stuck here?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 6: So I was I was my first one is is kind of small. I was devastated to learn this afternoon that Tom Watson does a.
Speaker 5: Better Jack Nicholas impression that I do.
Speaker 6: And if you guys saw him on Live from he was talking like Jack is telling a story about one of the Masters where Jack beat him. I think so many five i'vean he was saying, you know that. He's like, what why did you hit six iron there? And Jack was like, wow, club wouldn't win me the tournament and it was so good, it was so much better that.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm kind of devastated.
Speaker 6: This is another example of athletes taking media jobs. This is like what over ran ESPN is like just all the all the people.
Speaker 1: Is probably going to be talking golf this week. He Talked Talked to College Hoops the other day for pte J m Army Knights.
Speaker 5: See it's been love making Dan into a hot take. Guy's you know my secon one. I was a little more serious. Bryson's got the weirdest vibe going on.
Speaker 6: I know this isn't gonna come as a shock, but uh, Shane Ryan wrote something this today that kind of came just like a vibes check on every player in the field, and he sort of basically described Bryson's vibe as I'm going to get this right here. Uh, if you were going to rank his bad vibes, it would be just the unshakable, upsetting sense that everything you see is artific and exists atop a layer of unsatisfied yearning and incurable sadness. And like that's I if I were to sort of ask someone to kind of nail Bryson's whole m O, I think that would be it like obvious that Bryson has done a lot of work on himself and wants to sort of be seen as a kind of you know, more mature person, person with a little bit more grounding, yeah, and intellectual who doesn't want to be snippy and combative, and yet there's just like a little tinge of like this is all kind of a show, like this is all sort.
Speaker 5: Of a living YouTube.
Speaker 2: Video that's in pretty conspicuous layer and the tinge.
Speaker 6: And I am someone who I think has had a more sympathetic view of Bryson and a lot of people, I feel like, I just you know, I want him to find contentment and happiness and I just don't know what exactly the the answers for him. But he you know, it's interesting today he there's something going on too with him where he won't quite dig into where he's crying by the green side in South Africa, but he keeps saying I won't talk about that, and I just, you know, someone brought it up again today in the presser.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I definitely can't talk about that.
Speaker 6: And you know, it's a little weird like why he keeps hinting at it but then like refusing.
Speaker 5: To address it.
Speaker 6: You, I don't know, like something in your personal life or whatever, did you have a bad breakup something? You know, his father passing years ago was sort of a big part of his emotional kind of journey, but that's that's been a while now.
Speaker 5: It's happened anyway, so he was.
Speaker 6: Of course today he goes into the whole thing about he might change his clubs. You know, literally right before the tournament, he's been building out these new clubs. And you know someone's asking, well, you know, are you working with Bettnardi to sort of you know, do his No, no, no, I'm just I'm just doing them with myself, which is insane. It conjured up an image to me of like Bryson with his three D printer, like in the garage late at night, like sparks flying, you know, like just metal dripping on the floor, Like.
Speaker 1: How I was taking a samples and hitting him over his house.
Speaker 6: Yes, how is this like is there does the USGA person have to come in and like sort of check these clubs for you know, their whether they can form or not.
Speaker 5: It's kind of crazy. I will say.
Speaker 6: You know, I like asking these questions that sort of force these people to look inward on themselves. And so I asked him a question today and I said, you know, every time I'm on YouTube, it's like serving me up this algo of the secret of Mo Norman or like Ben Hogan's like uncovered footage whatever, and his face lit up because he knew exactly what I was talking about.
Speaker 5: He's like, oh, I get that all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he loves talking about YouTube.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And so I was like, this is a good way to engage him, because I'm going to meet him on his level if I'm gonna, you know, writ about Scotty's religion, and I can talk about Bryson's religion, which is YouTube.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 6: I but you know what, he gave this really great answer about it. He said, you know, I remember when I was first getting on YouTube, when it first kind of was a thing, and I remember there was this video called The Hogan Mystique, and I would watch it on a loop over and over and over again while I would do my homework. He's like, I probably should have been paying more attention to my homework whatever, but I just like was obsessed with watching it. And Carr was like, I kind of said, you know, do you think ever to yourself that you're leaving like this historical record for like future people to be able to study what golf was or ball striking was or whatever this stuff. Now He's like, oh, you know, of course he was kind of leading question, but he was like yeah, yeahah definitely. Like I feel like that is part of you know, passing some of this stuff on and like leaving historical record. And I think he's right, Like I think it is like the same way that people would study like old gamers or old footage. But people are going to watch this YouTube stuff that Bryson's done for decades to come, and like you've just created a hundred Bryson dose chambos, you know, a million these gambos. We're going to see more of these kind of generation.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my fast pick is generation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my my final one.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: It's just the kind of you guys touched on this a little bit as the Tiger stuff. You know, one thing the media stories always kind of fascinate me and annoy me, but like there there's one person out there who's asking all those tiger questions, right and look good for you. You're writing a story like people feel like your readers want to get the tiger dish of things. But then what I think bugs me a lot is like all these headlines that are like Tiger on everyone's mind, you know, come at Augusta.
Speaker 1: That's just not true.
Speaker 6: He's on Jacob Bridgman spot Yeah, but like Jacob Bridgman didn't come here being like, well, I hope I get asked the Tiger Woods question.
Speaker 3: It's probably like holy grade the.
Speaker 1: Pain I was standing there, what Day went through this ringer h and like you know, he he stood up there and gave like really good responses for like five minutes, and you could just see him get done and just be.
Speaker 7: Like, oh, thank God, good for Day for like answering like in some kind of honest way, Like I think it was selfish whoever to drive like that's you're risking like giving like being excommunicated from the Tiger circle forever just by being a little bit honest.
Speaker 2: Did we wad into that that was a plot.
Speaker 6: So, but it's a tough position to put these guys in and then to frame it as if like they're the ones who brought up Tiger throughout the day, like grabbing media people as they walk by and be like, hey, I just want you to know I have some Tiger thoughts and get off my chest. Yeah, that's the way it was sort of framed in some places.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's not been like a competitor here since twenty nineteen, even if he were playing he's not the defending champ. It's just insane how we force him into this.
Speaker 6: Listen, then, in some respects, like the Masters is with the best media is like gets produced all year for golf, and also some of like the absolute worst. Sure sure, I think you know, there's a real case to be made that of course, like the Ownship nuxt book about Rory is coming out this week whatever, and I think it's like from what I understand, I haven't gotten all the way through it, but it's fair he did a very you know that he worked really hard to kind of.
Speaker 5: Make sure that it wasn't sort of sensationalist or whatever.
Speaker 6: But of course, like the British tabloids and New York Posts or whatever immediately like rip the middle of it out of the context with stuff with his marriage and just you know, use it to kind of like trash things and like surface rumors and stuff. And it's just it's like using that which is like a you know, fairly nuanced and responsible something that's been vetted by legal something that he literally handed a copy of it to Rory to then like it becomes like a headline in the daily news in York Post just kind of gross, And the only reason they're doing it is because you know, it's the Masters, and they know that people are gonna like be vampires and click on it who don't follow golf whatever, And it just I'm always like just in awe of some of the great media that gets produced and always kind of like cringe at some of the how bad the bad media makes the media look during the Masters.
Speaker 5: It's just something they have to kind of live through.
Speaker 2: Bryson was an interesting cap to the day. Let's see, I'd like your you know, diagnose this there he's interesting, uh tiger stuff. I think it's done though, right Oh Bully Champions dinner. Maybe there'll be an anecdote it or something, but that's it. Should we pick winners winners? You got KVV three, were got winners all the way around. Let's go four wide? Uh, PJ you want to leave us off? I don't go PJ. KVV me in. Then Andy can cap us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I don't think this should come as a surprise to anybody. We're steering into it. I do love Xander this week, but ride or Die, let's go time. Cameron Young.
Speaker 1: Imagine if Cameron Young launched his own app I.
Speaker 3: Mean, remember how we were, Remember how we were saying that I should go be a copywriter for the Xander app. If somebody could teach me how to code, I would do the cav Young app.
Speaker 1: I would just think you could use AI now use flawed or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you gotta you know.
Speaker 5: You were probably told when you left journalism learn the code.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mister, time to see this thing through. I can't can't leave now at the eleventh hour. I'm planning the flag. I mean, the flag has been planted for a long time.
Speaker 2: So keV, who do you like this week?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go with Rum.
Speaker 6: I really think that he has something to prove. You know, he is one of the five best players in the world, and I think he would like to remind people.
Speaker 5: I don't you know.
Speaker 6: I we all know kind of how I feel in general about the live stuff. But I think like he's played well enough to know that he's like coming in pretty sharp, and I think like grievance helps him, and the stuff with the DP World Tour is going to be like a good you know, motivator to basically be like, oh, really you want to hold a Ryder Cup without me?
Speaker 5: And like a cycle where I won the Masters, you know, and I think.
Speaker 6: He'll probably have a pretty good public relations argument anyway, like, oh my god, you can't leave the Masters champion at home. And I just feel like we're trending to a time when he is going to like, if he gets off to a good start, I think he's gonna be really tough to beat.
Speaker 2: I have rom too. That's my pick. I don't need to add a tohole lot. You've covered the basis, Andy, who do you like?
Speaker 1: All right? I picked it. You know I'm covering my basis because if you only listen to the fried egg Pot, you heard me pick Scotti. I have, I've swerved.
Speaker 2: I love this. I love doing multiple pic.
Speaker 1: I serve. I like it. Well, you know, I saw I had to make a decision before I got on the ground. I seen the looseness, I saw the I saw some good shots. I saw some shots I wanted to see. I saw a sharpness, and I did. This is a time on her tradition, get on the grounds early week. I'm not picking Rory. I'm picking Rory, come on, come back.
Speaker 2: I love it. I was almost if you were going to pick him, I was gonna go back on my rom pick. That's great. Screw it. Well, take Rory.
Speaker 3: This guy. This guy watched the hype video today and was in This guy saw a hype video.
Speaker 2: I was that before.
Speaker 3: I almost brought it up. We were talking about the pressure before.
Speaker 1: That was ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I've been coming to press conference since that building was open. Were supposed to clasp It's the first time they've ever put a hype video.
Speaker 3: I actually asked if we were supposed to clap.
Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 2: That's a great pick. That's a great Honest to god, I sold. I mean, that's a great pick.
Speaker 1: Back to back. He delivered.
Speaker 2: He delivered for me last year when I picked him one and done. Were touting gambling pot. Gambling POD's gonna delivered for you when.
Speaker 6: Your when a guy went back to back, Do you know who puts the coat on him?
Speaker 1: It's chairman, chairman. I found that out after I didn't know during my pod.
Speaker 3: That's why you do a prepot, Yeah, so you can make it.
Speaker 1: I can do two preview pots. Not a lot of podcasters going to do.
Speaker 3: You can make a pick and then you can make it.
Speaker 6: You know what I will say is if he's three shots in the lead, on Sunday, like house money, baby, what do you have to lose? Like you can absolutely come running down at people and you're basically like, you know what if I win the Masters, Oh well, people will still think it's good defense.
Speaker 1: This is the thing I said it earlier. I just think he he like fully, there's a freeing aspect to something when you know you don't have to play perfectly. And last year making four doubles, you made four doubles in one.
Speaker 2: Shave that I love that. We spent ten years picking Rory like. I just like the juggling routine. I think he's got figured out that. And then Wednesday, we're gonna still just keep doing it. We've all we're we're going When do you think.
Speaker 3: The first matter? It's twenty twenty six? What year is the first Masters where nobody reasonably expects Rory to win?
Speaker 1: Now he did say I've got ten more jes Can I raise my hand please? Is this the first Masters where nobody thinks Jordan Speth's gonna win?
Speaker 2: Uh No, I'm sure there's some people out there.
Speaker 1: So this is the actually the first Masters that you have to worry about Jordans.
Speaker 5: I actually you know early this season.
Speaker 6: When he was putting really well, I thought, man like we could get back in the here and then he horrible.
Speaker 5: Seek does it matters a little?
Speaker 1: It matters for.
Speaker 2: With God, Sam Burns, you know put your way to T forty eight.
Speaker 1: I don't know his deputies week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the deputies are in the street, all right.
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: That does it for a shotguns start preview of the Masters, Kevin, thank you for joining us, PJ. PJ To say, PJ has been stressed about producing. This would be the understatement of the year.
Speaker 3: Your review ended today has been the day I made.
Speaker 1: Him get a camera too. I made him get a real camera.
Speaker 2: Shout, PJ. Pj's you know, approval rating obvious sky high. But you've been working hard and you've been very anxious about this. So thank you for your work here.
Speaker 3: Andy.
Speaker 2: Great to be with you again for another Masters. We will be doing dailies every night after the conclusion of play Sunday TV, maybe.
Speaker 1: Five minutes before. Sometimes we like to go like jump the gun, nothing's going on on Friday now.
Speaker 3: And making that put on Saturday night.
Speaker 2: We're gonna jump in our gls and scoop back to the house and get going here. But every night, Thursday night, Friday and Saturday, and then we'll figure out Sunday. Honestly, like it's like sign off, it's incredible that we get to do this as a job. We have no no harbor, no cockiness or delusion about the Who's responsible and it's the audience. So thank you guys for listening, giving a damn paying any amount of time or attention to this now hour and forty five minutes. Can't wait to cover the Masters with you guys over Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We will talk to you then