Speaker 1: Hey, that folks did is Wednesday, February eighteenth, and a highly anticipated and major update in the gu three case. A major update that turned out to be a major setback. Plus, the sheriff out in Arizona did a new round of media interviews yesterday and gave several interesting and even confusing updates. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Bros. Major setback in that this was a highly anticipated result. We were waiting on DNA from the gloves.
Speaker 2: We got that back, yes, and it did not match that DNA did not match any known suspect in this federal or I guess this national database of folks who have been processed through our judicial system. So they did not lead to any conclusive suspect.
Speaker 1: And again this is in robes as far as leads go, as major leads go, have been a whole lot, at least they've shared with us. But it doesn't seem like they have a whole lot. When you sit and talk to the sheriff, he doesn't seem confident and whatnot. This was a big deal because what the gloves they said, match the gloves that the suspect has on in that ring camera. So this could be the suspect's gloves and wow, there's DNA in those gloves. It was just there were high hopes that this could lead to something.
Speaker 2: Correct, There were expectations that perhaps this could be the smoking gun, or this could be the thing that leads us directly to Nancy Guthrie or at least find the person who took her. The other thing that was a little confusing to me. Well, we'll get into a lot of the confusion. But the DNA that was found in the gloves is not the same DNA that was found inside the Guthrie home.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, so there's another set of DNA apparently that was found inside the house, and there is where some confusion lies. That we'll get into a couple of updates from the share or we'll get into as well. This idea of a proof of life that the family has been asking for, Well, he did bring that up in relation to also a proof of death. We'll explain that. Also he talked about this being Yes, this phrase came up cold case. We'll explain what he was saying there. And yes, robes they might have to turn to, not necessarily law enforcement, but maybe commercial companies to piece this together. Now, with this DNA with genealogy, gets your help in explaining that when we get into that. But let's go back to this gloves reminding folks, this was a set of gloves that were filed two miles away from the house in ropes. These stood out and it was kind of incredible to hear that they were finding so many sets of gloves as they were canvassing great the area.
Speaker 2: More than a dozen I believe, maybe the number fourteen I read that. That's how many pairs of gloves were strewn about on the radius around Guthrie's house. Most of them, they acknowledged, were from who were wearing gloves looking for evidence. Hard to imagine that searchers, trained investigators would just throw their gloves on the ground in this beautiful pristine land that we have. But apparently they're litterers too. So anyway, there were gloves everywhere, but there was one pair that they said match within two miles of Nancy Guthrie's home. That matched appeared to match, I believe, was the phrase they used. The gloves that were seen on the suspect on Nancy Guthrie's front porch.
Speaker 1: That was a big deal of all the gloves. You found these stood out to you all that was relevant. But Rhoades they find the gloves and then we get into some kind of I don't even know how to explain it that well. But the DNA needed to be tested. What lab is it tested at? It got sent to Florida, but then they couldn't give some result because it had to come.
Speaker 2: What was this It was some sort of law, I believe that is a state law that there had to be an Arizona lab had to act process the DNA and so when And the question was why would the Sheriff's department not know that? So why would they send it all the way to this lab in Florida and then only to have the Florida lab say we can't give you the results. Have to go then retest the DNA in an Arizona lab to then get the results we got yesterday, which were a big disappointment.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he in some of his interviews tried to explain why he had to do the process that way. Fine, but ultimately nothing matched. And again the CODIS system, as was the acronym here combined DNA index system. You hear it all the time, certainly if you watch true crime, or if you just watch a lot of fictional TV and crime dramas, they use cotis cotis codis. You watch any trials, you'll hear COTIS a lot of times. But it's the combined DNA index system is what it stands for. And it's just a database and national database, as you said, rogues of DNA profiles of convicted folks. So the DNA, they have it, but they don't match it to anybody, But they have somebody's DNA.
Speaker 2: On a pair of gloves that may or may not be connected to the Guthrie kidnap.
Speaker 1: And there's the thing we had to remember that robes. These gloves might have nothing to do with this.
Speaker 2: Somebody could have gotten hot while driving, or they fell out of their pockets when they were cold at night walking around the desert. I don't know. It could have been a lot of different reasons why there were gloves there. The bigger issue, I would think doesn't take an investigator to realize this, that that DNA inside the house that doesn't match Nancy Guthrie or any of her family members or close friends. That DNA would seemingly be a lot more important and potentially much more likely to actually be from the suspect.
Speaker 1: Well, it is more important. And the sheriff doing these interviews and explaining or the disappointment of the DNA and the gloves not matching anything, he almost wrote qualified those gloves now, he said, I'm much more concerned about what's in the house now I would be about some gloves two miles away. I'm fine, and we get that. But he was a little more dismissive of the gloves after they didn't have a hit.
Speaker 2: But makes sense.
Speaker 1: He was saying, the DNA in the house is critical. And this is where some confusion came in. I turned to you even listening to his interviews and saying, did they test the DNA? Did they tell us that they put that through codis, Because sure enough, in one of the interviews he did with someone, will you hear him clearly say that the DNA in the house, we may need to put that through codis. Later say what he clearly says, the DNA in the house has not been put into this DNA database to see if they get a match. But Robes then we turned to another interview.
Speaker 2: He did, and he said that it had been tested and that it was an unknown person.
Speaker 1: Correct, no match from the DNA in the house either, But again he said something different to another reporter, so I'm sure they'll clear that up. Again. He has a lie coming at him, and maybe he got an update in between interviews, who knows, but he gave two different answers to them.
Speaker 2: My thought was that maybe he just misunderstood or he misspoke in terms of how he characterized the DNA from the house, because you and I both looked at each other and said, it wouldn't make any sense that investigators would have the DNA from the gloves tested but not yet the DNA in the house tested, which they had before they even knew of the gloves. So they've had this DNA from the home almost from day one, it seems, they said, within the first few days at least of her disappearance, they said they had this DNA that was not Nancy Guthries inside the home. So we have known about this DNA for much longer than anything in the gloves, So it would make zero sense that they hadn't tested that yet or hadn't processed that yet.
Speaker 1: So yes, to your point, it may may have just bespoke a little bit in that moment. But the DNA at this point has led to nothing. We will mention as well. Robes and a couple of reporters asked. And the idea of this being a cold case, they don't seem too in his interviews. Have a major lead right now that they're following that video is key and they're analyzing and whatnot. But they it hasn't sent them in a particular direction. But the word, the phrase cold case, you don't want to hear, he explained, at least rogues. And it makes sense. This case is not coal. It's only cold if you don't have a lead to follow, and they have literally thousands of leads to follow, they just don't have the one.
Speaker 2: Yes, And in spite of the fact that they had, I believe they said, was it thirty, forty, fifty thousand, like crazy numbers of leads coming in. You still hear him on these rounds he made throughout the day yesterday, with all of these reporters, still asking for the public's help, still saying, Hey, even if you think it's nothing, even if you think I don't want to bother them, even if you think, oh, they already have too many tips, I don't want to flood their tip line. Call us anyway, that's our job.
Speaker 1: That was funny, you're bringing up making me at least remember he used a bizarre almost reference. He said, Yeah, this person might call and that's a Tier one lead, and then there's somebody else who might have just had a dream last night about aliens abducting Nancy Guthrie. That's a level four lead. But if I tell you not to call, then somebody else who has a very important lead might call. He used a weird reference, but he was saying, we got we need everybody to call in and keep calling in. But Rose, that's the suggest that they seem to not have a whole lot in this case. But we heard a few other updates from him that were they kind of make your ears perk up. Stay here, we'll tell you what he said about clearing the family and why he is still still convinced this was a kidnapping. And we continue here on this Wednesday morning here on Amy and TJ. Ropes. It's in some of the interviews we did yesterday and listening to the shaff here talking about the GOV three case. I don't know. I try not to interpret body language in the words being used sometimes, but he almost lacked a confidence to a certain degree when asked very specifically about it being an abduction, very specifically about being a kidnapping. Do you still stand by and he used some words sometimes, Well I do. That's what I still believe. I don't know what's going on here, but he's giving us and you and I have had to make this decision on our podcast doing non update updates, like he sits down for all these interviews for updates and you don't get really updates. But this was a it was weird to listen to him. Doesn't he didn't sound that sure.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's ever sounded sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, there you go.
Speaker 2: From the beginning, I feel like that's been a complaint you don't like. It's not as if he isn't Let me put this the right way. No one is saying he isn't competent. But it's just that he makes it very clear that he is just as baffled as the rest of us.
Speaker 1: Damn. There it is, and I don't want that from my share. Maybe that's what it is. Okay, that's a good there you go. That's what I was looking for.
Speaker 2: You're like dang. If he's that unsure, then wow, what I'm feeling is absolutely fair. Like you just want to think that they're at least going down the right path, and you're not sure that's the case when you're listening to him.
Speaker 1: You know what, hot pursuit, that's what you want. They don't feel like they're in hot pursuit of this lady. And it's very important. I forgot to put this in our note there roads, but this is a very important note because of TMZ. He did address at least the idea of what we're hearing about TMZ getting all these notes from someone who says they know who the kidnapper or kidnappers are, said be prepared to go international, and said they saw something south of the border. Yes, well, he addressed this idea. He said, they have no reason to believe they're still doing in what they're doing in their search area. Said authorities are aware of those notes, but he suggested that not actively pursuing anything south of the border.
Speaker 2: Yes, he didn't seem like Mexico was on the table. It didn't seem as though there was any active investigation into the credibility of whether or not Nancy Guthrie could be with an abductor or abductors in Mexico. He didn't acknowledge that at all. And you would think unless they're protecting the investigation in some way, which could always be the case, but he absolutely, by what he said, did completely seem to dismiss that concept.
Speaker 1: Do you make of that? What do you if that is the case, what do you then? That means they are lending not a whole lot of credibility to these notes being sent to TMZ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm curious why just from the reporters that that we watched and we saw, it didn't seem like they got specific about some of those things, like the questions that I wanted to ask him. I didn't hear being asked by reporters specifically about the TMZ and the credibility and how seriously they're taking it and have they actually been pursuing what this person who has written four emails now has claimed.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe we missed, maybe we didn't watch all the interviews and maybe haven't read every single article, but that's got to that's a significant Are we talking to legitimate players or not? That's a big deal. It seems like that's the biggest lead.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's the only thing that we know about at least that has seemed to offer a direction for the investigation. And whether or not this person is just full of it or not would seem to be very important that you could decide pretty quickly. I saw someone online asking, with it being twenty twenty six and all, how is it that we aren't able to trace these people sending these emails? How to if we're even getting bitcoin addresses and we know how to give them money, but we don't know who they are. That is shocking to a lot of folks with the technology we have, that we are now like two weeks into it, we don't know who is sending emails repeatedly. Yes, not even like letters with strange postmarks. No, these are emails that have IP addresses, So it's confusing.
Speaker 1: That is confusing to me. They can track down anybody anywhere. It seems. Yes, a very good point, Robes, but if this is so hard, that has got to be your biggest lead unless you have a reason for knowing it's not. You have somebody telling you they know who the kidnapper is. I saw them, I saw her, and that's not the biggest lead you have, he did, wouldn't you even come out? And no, no, I'm not going to speculate on that. But it doesn't seem like they are chasing that down publicly.
Speaker 2: Right or they don't want us to know they are. I mean, I always hold that to be possible as well. You never know. I thought it was really interesting when he was asked and I saw a very detailed, a very detailed report about how they cleared the Guthries. I thought this was interesting what was going on behind the scenes that we didn't know as all of this speculation was going on about whether or not the brother in law and the sister who last saw Nancy Guthrie had anything to do with her disappearance. He talked about how all of the family members and their spouses had their home searched, had their view searched, had their DNA extracted, they went through interrogations. He said, these family members were treated as suspects basically, and they now have been completely cleared and are deemed victims. But he was like, just kind of going through the process of getting cleared. It's not an easy or a comfortable situation, especially when speculation is swirling around you. So I just thought that was interesting people for people to take a step back and think about. While you're grieving the loss of your mother or not knowing where she is and fearing the worst, you now are also going through a fairly rigulous, rigorous process where you have to be cleared from actually being considered a suspect.
Speaker 1: And they did that immediately, and we all know that, and they did. I say, we know that. Obviously, that's detective work. One oh one. They were all treated as suspects. I all was great that he sorry for him to come out and say so definitively. I think he used the phrase one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Yes, he did a hundred.
Speaker 1: Percent cleared, and I did appreciate that. Hey, this is the timing of he didn't have to do this. He chose to put that statement out to say, get off the backs of the family. Did we ever hear from Ashley Banfield? Did you say anything I regard this? I did not.
Speaker 2: I did not in any major way.
Speaker 1: We can okay, we can do that at another time. The last thing here the genealogy robes what other case or we were watching something or but they're able to now the twenty three and me type folks can take DNA. Actually, everybody's familiar with this. Yes, at this point, you put your DNA in there, and all from of a sudden you start finding relatives with DNA matches. That's what they're trying to possibly do. Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a new second cousin just yesterday in an email alert. So look this. Yes we all anyone who has gone on these No I didn't see that. No, but yes, so you if they even if the person the suspect didn't join twenty three and Me or whatever genealogy website you for, one of his relatives likely has. So you're talking, it could be anything from a you know, a random cousin to a direct descendant to a sibling. But they can find someone who is related to this DNA and literally go through a family tree and figure out who the suspect, or at least narrow it down quite significantly as to who this possibly could be. And there have been plenty of cases. We were just talking, I believe, yesterday about a true crime story we were watching. This is happening more and more and more folks go on to twenty three and meter and even if you didn't, one of your relatives, did you ken and will be likely found.
Speaker 1: I've seen true crime episodes about this where they can narrow it down. Okay, the killer is one of these five guys, and they just went and found those five guys and starting narrowing it down, so it could be helpful. We'll keep an eye again. No press briefings per usual with this case, so we said you won't do another press conference unless there's a major update. He decides to do a round of interviews in which we got little nuggets roads, but we haven't gotten the big break yet.
Speaker 2: We have not, but we will continue, of course, to follow this story closely. It's just shocking that we're now in the middle of week three and still doesn't seem like we're any closer than we were on February one. But my goodness. We can only hope that investigators get that break they're looking for, and you can make sure we will be on top of it for you in the meantime. That were everybody, Thank you for listening. As always, I'm Amy Robock alongside TJ. Holmes. We will talk to you soon.