Speaker 1: Look, may oh, I see you my own look over there is that culture. Yes, lost culture loves culturists calling to the Mother Convention.
Speaker 2: The Mother Convention, Megan trainers on Kelly Clerks and officially the Mother Convention has begun. Wait, we can't start the next calling Megan Trainer mother. We were the first to call Megan. No, we were, you were, not me. Don't drag me into this.
Speaker 3: You're You're already done, been dragged, and that's what you need more than ever, dragging you, dragging you want to be dragged today.
Speaker 4: Not by you.
Speaker 2: No, I just think the public should drag.
Speaker 3: No. I don't want you inviting this because then I'm gonna have to hear about it later.
Speaker 2: No, what are you talking? No, I really do think you want the public to drag you. I want someone to put me in my place in a way that is like helpful, And I guess you are the only person. Honey.
Speaker 3: A therapist, Honey, my therapist. I see your therapist.
Speaker 2: I pay my therapist to validate me at every turn. And I go that article that's like, is there be making us more selfish?
Speaker 3: You know, for the very first time, a few weeks ago, my therapist said to me that maybe my behavior was a little indulgent, and I was like, honestly, thank you for saying that.
Speaker 2: Even that's a little too nice of a frame. I think it was just for anybody, Like was he trying to say, she excuse me? Oh my god.
Speaker 3: First of all, check yourself, I wreck you. It's really culture number ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Check yourself before I wreck you. And I'm only get dragged I can do that. My gender bias is only because my therapist is male.
Speaker 3: Your gender bias is showing like a penis and a g rated film. Get it out of here, Get it out of here.
Speaker 2: Your gender bias is showing like your FYP is showing on your TikTok. Not for other people, mother, don't show it to others.
Speaker 3: No, she told me that my behavior because in the hashtag wake up my breakup, I was doing things that like were sort of like self carry And then at one point she said, is this crossing over into a little indulgent? But I did go see a psychic, yes, which I've not necessarily been honest about on the podcast until now. But I did go see a psychic at a time when I was doing not well, and I saw more than one. And then my therapist, I think from a place of concern because she told me that she's seen a lot of people give a lot of money to psychics when they feel desperate because they're so good at what they do. And she said, not only should you not be giving this person money, but is this behave You're a little indulgent. And I was like, interesting, now that I feel sufficiently dragged, I'm going to stop doing this that financial and personal reasons, And yeah, I think that at that point, I was like, I'm going to stop seeing this particular psychic.
Speaker 2: And you went to the same one as me. I went to the same one as you, and we had vastly different experiences.
Speaker 3: Yes, I basically, and I don't know if this will shock the readers, but was immediately susceptible to everything this psychic was saying. And Boem was more like, I don't know about Queen.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know about Queen, but she honestly, like I think, she sat me down and was like this is what literally happened. She sits down with Matt for forty five minutes. Patrick Rodgers and I are standing outside. It's kind of like, okay, well, first she do you want them in the room? And I was like, yeah, they can be here, and she went to the other side of the room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you could hear everything. Sure, No, you could hear everything.
Speaker 2: We weren't really making sound though, we weren't making noise.
Speaker 3: No, but this is so funny. Well, we go to the psychic because we're kind of just having like a girl's day. Yeah, and so then you guys are sitting there and this psychic goes making a peep. No, you were fine, but it was funny because the psychic goes, I'm going to tell you the truth. I'm not going to tell you what you want to hear. I'm like okay, yeah, And she's like, are you sure you want them there? And I was like, yes, they can be here.
Speaker 2: And she goes, your home is in La. No, she doesn't even ask you. LA doesn't even come to her. I think you volunteer that information. You're like, yeah, I'm visiting from LA. And she goes, LA's your home. LA is your home? Ling are gonna happen for you?
Speaker 3: I look over at my two biggest champions for moving back to New York, which are Bowen Yang and Patrick Rodgers, and they both have these sour pusses on. I'm like, we hate her, and we're like, she goes, she goes.
Speaker 2: You do need to leave that. I'm picking up your energy. You guys have to leave. This was the dead of February, I want to say, freezing cold in New York. We were like, okay, I guess. And so then Patrick and I were staying outside for forty five minutes. We were like, Wow, I guess Matt is really connecting with this with this person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lo and behold it will shock no one to hear. I'm in there crying because this girl was absolutely nailing it and slaying it. She's killing it. She's saying things that no one else could know. It was my Tyler Henry Hollywood medium moment.
Speaker 2: She okay, is this fair of me to say that she was slaying and killing within a margin of believability.
Speaker 3: She was doing that thing where she was saying initials of names of people and saying what their connection to me relevantly was. And then she was going in and saying like emotional things that only I had thought or only I had heard. And then I was like, oh my god. And then of course she goes to you need to come back for life coaching because you we need to work together. Yeah, she goes, we need to work together. You need cleansing. You need it really bad. She points to me and she said, your love life is a mess. And she's like, everything else is good, but with love you need cleansing. And when someone looks you dead in the eyes and says you need cleansing and it's an emergency, terrifying. That is also how they get your money to scare you. It's very only I can help, only I can, which is a dangerous sentence.
Speaker 2: Readers. Can we just level set? It is just past nine in the morning. We got up at eight in the morning. We're in Orlando, Florida.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm looking at the Magic Kingdom right now as we say all this, looking at it.
Speaker 2: We spent a gorgeous day in the parks. Yeah, and that's where we're coming from. We're just we're sort of broken down at Disney, broken down, but we're getting back up. We're going to crust another hill today. It's just going to be our pleasure centers are going to explode by the end of this.
Speaker 3: But I think that yesterday we sort of went hard and did so many of the major rides and attractions we'll get into. And that's why I think today we're able to drop in and be so raw.
Speaker 2: That's so true. Okay. So basically you had that amazing experience with her. I walk in opposite, I sit down with her, and she goes, yeah, you're fine. Yeah, everything's good. Ah, your third eye, your indigo chakra is a little your third eye is a little clouded. You can pay me this crazy amount of money to get it closed. And I was like, okay, why not. Yeah, here's my card, text me tomorrow at three pm. It'll take me twenty four and I was like okay. And then the next day I call her at three she'd just gotten off the phone with you. Yes she did, and she was like, it took me a long time. It took me a long time to clear it. But it's cleared. And I said, thank you so much. She said you should be able to feel something in the next twenty four hours. I was like, okay, sure, and then she's like, you can keep working with me if you want. Yeah, And I was like I think I'm okay. She was That's where she was a business. She had her grift and no problem. That's and I'd feel about even calling it that, but I know, I think that's probably true. I think someone like that is excellent at performing in a way that makes me jealous. I go, I wish I had that. I cannot you would. I cannot convince someone of that, and I cannot like close like that the way she did. And I'm impressed. I'm impressed. Here's what I say.
Speaker 3: So immediately I go to my real my therapist, my actualational she, and I said to her, I was like, I have to tell you, this is embarrassing, but I've seen this person more than once, like because I'm not doing well and I'm sort of desperate, and what I thought was just gonna be a fun thing ended up being like this thing that I'm now like embarrassed to say. I'm a little bit like hooked on because it's that thing of like you're wanting more information and I'm someone who always wants more information in life, but like that doesn't necessarily like come easily, and it also is not helpful for you. So I was in this place of like desperately grasping at like straws emotionally, So like I say to my therapist, I'm like, she's got me, I know it, Like, but I know I have to stop going to her because it's like not real information. It's this like OOHI guy like psychic stuff and I want to know, like and I was like, you can't even answer this question for me, really, but like is this real?
Speaker 2: Do people have this?
Speaker 3: And my therapist said, yes, people do have a heightened sense. I mean, I believe this to be true. In my dealings with more than one client, they've described this feeling of expressing something to a psychic and that what they say is like uncannily accurate and like really really really stuff.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 3: Of course this feels cliche now because we've all seen the TV shows no one could have known, but I will also say these people are also business people and their intuition is their skill, and so that's what they use to manipulate people. Like, yes, what they do is real, but she said, what you have to remember is a psychic or a medium can maybe into it what is happening, or like make something more clear for you, or like explain something that might be going on, but they cannot make things happen. So when they start telling you like, oh, I need to work on you, or oh I need to work on this person. That's where what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Is that's how they get you to make something happen for them, Yes, and give them money. Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean literally that makes a lot of sense. I love that way of putting it. Yeah, it's not bogus, no, no, it's also not entirely above board. Their intuition is the thing that I consider myself not having the best intuition. You have great intuition, but I feel like for that person, let's say, for the person that we saw together, like she get into it that like I was like skeptical, skeptical, and that intuition is the thing that like helps their business sense, which again, like I know sounds were done in and obvious, but it's like it's interesting how like one thing it feeds into the other, which it's it's it's it's an oraborous kind of thing. Yeah, I just think you. I think that it's true.
Speaker 3: You do present more like hmm, yeah, you present moral scorpio, and I definitely present more pisces. I think I present it as a very vulnerable and you were presenting as like now what's this, like why did this just take forty five minutes with my best friend, right.
Speaker 2: And I never said that. I didn't even push back in the room when she was like you're fine, I was like, oh really, And I wasn't even like that you were like that's news to me. No, no, no, I was like, I was like really because and I would say I was also like in a weird place at that time, and I was like, there are things that I would love to whatever, but for her to look you in the eye and say you need cleansing, that that does not sit right with me. Yeah, because I look at my friend and I go, he's perfect.
Speaker 3: Well, girl, I definitely needed I needed something at the time, it just probably wasn't that. And now looking I'm like, well, it's just funny because like the last session I ever had with with this person in person, I went three times, I think okay, and they read the tarot cards and everything, and they're like, oh, I wish I could say it was getting better, but it's not.
Speaker 2: And I was just like, oh no.
Speaker 3: And then she was telling me more things and I was just like, you know what, I'm realizing right now, I actually have to stop doing this.
Speaker 2: I was like, this is no longer said that to her. Yes.
Speaker 3: I was like, I don't think this is good for me anymore. And she was like, well, you know what, every time I look at your cards, I know you're gonna be fine. And she was like, so you don't have to keep coming to me and you don't have to give me any more money, because that's interesting. She actually said that, she was like, every time I look at your cards, everything is fine. It's when I look deeper that things are. It's so great other people. And I was just like all right, well, and then she started doing the thing where she was asking for like personal items and stuff like that, and I was like, you know what, I'm not going to go there.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to do this. And it was like over at that point.
Speaker 3: But she did say to me at one point she was like, yeah, like I'm looking at your cards now and things could go a whole different way. And I was just like, yeah, but the first time I came in here, you said I needed to keep working with you because there was only one path forward. And now you're saying you're looking at the cards and like, hmm, actually I could be fine.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: It was just it was just like, oh, it was that moment where you realize you got got And of course everyone I talked to about this is like, well, when you scheduled the appointment, she probably looked you up.
Speaker 2: But we did a walk in. We did a walk in, yeah exactly, So that part was like spooky yea, yeah, we did a walk in and it was under someone else's name. Yeah, no, it was a walk in.
Speaker 3: It was a walk in period, like there was. She did not know who was coming in. And then Patrick Rogers's house did not get a reading done because he was like freaked out by it, I think. And the second time I came back, this psychic said to me, I knew your third friend wasn't going to get a reading.
Speaker 2: I knew it.
Speaker 3: I knew it right, And she was like, what's the deal with him? And I was like, we're not going there, No, we're not going there. I was like, I don't want you to tell me any thing about like it was not and also none, nothing that she was saying was like ultimately real.
Speaker 2: Right, the things that she did to me, she my intuition stayed the same. She cleaned up my chakras. I might have even gotten worse. Yeah, I think I think I ended up having like a mental breakdown like the next week, Like, I don't think she was necessarily helpful. She was like, you're a good girl. I'm like really, and then no, it was truly hurtling towards rock bottom anyway, damn, but it was. It was an experience, and it was I will say, a moment of me going I'm concerned for my friend and you and you going let me and I said okay, and I and I and I say, this is you and I as friends giving each other the space to figure it out for ourselves.
Speaker 3: It's really giving Scully and Molder and I do think that we could do an X Files.
Speaker 2: I think that would be a idea for us.
Speaker 3: A charged emotional sexual, charged emotional sexual X Files that's homosexual like you've never seen.
Speaker 2: Homosexual like you've never seen. It should be it should be reboot X Files homosexual like you've never seen.
Speaker 3: If you guys, if readers, Katie's publicists, finalists out there, could all sort of make some mock ups for posters for X Files starring Bowen Yang and Matt Rodgers for the upcoming for the upcoming X Files homosexual like You've never.
Speaker 2: Seen for Hulu because it'll be a Fox show.
Speaker 3: By the way, do you remember when I said there's constantly X Files reboots and you were like no, and then they announced a new one they did.
Speaker 2: Yes, I guess I'm just not X Files is a huge blind spot for me.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I tried at one point, I did. I tried.
Speaker 3: It's not really my genre, as y' all know, but I liked the intrigue of it, like I liked the idea of that central relationship. But I want to believe I don't believe I was interested in the sexual tension between them and I. Actually, I'll say it right here now, and you tell me if you agree. Find David duchovny as hell.
Speaker 2: I think this is widely agreed upon notion. Yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: And Gilian honey, honey, they had it going on. They had it going on at all ages. Timeless Beauties, Timeless. Should we talk a little bit about the way our vacation has been slaying?
Speaker 2: The way vacation has been slaying is I can't describe it. It's a genuinely new experience, and it's an experience that was amplified by substances one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: We sort of just you know, had our little mushroom game on, and we sort of walked into the parks and began to slagh. And it's interesting actually because I'm looking out at the window, which is where we're at the Disney Contemporary Resort, and I'm looking out at the window and I'm literally seeing the construction on what was Splash Mountain. They're turning in into, of course, Princess Tati's Bayou dip Michael Hartney, that's a Michael Hartney joke. It's Princess Tiana, Princess Tina by you Adventure, but literally Michael Hartney in twenty twenty tweeted, but when they announced Splash Mountain was closing, he said, I can't wait for it to be called Princess Tatis. You did, and then it pretty much was basically called Princess Tatis. To just know that when they do open this ride, it is for forever henceforth known as Princess Tatis.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Michael Hardy.
Speaker 3: I think starring in Jennifer Lewis.
Speaker 2: I asked her.
Speaker 3: I was like, Mama, are you going to be in the ride? And she was like, and I don't know what if she knew what the fuck I was talking about. She was like, oh, yeah, yes, of course, and I was like, I don't think. I was like, this is probably recorded eight years ago, knowing the corporation. I mean, if if she's not involved, it's a huge flop.
Speaker 2: I hope Prince Navin is all over that thing.
Speaker 3: I hope Prince Levine sort of you know Hoo's pinos Pin.
Speaker 2: I always wanted him show in that movie.
Speaker 3: We need more penis and g rated films. Thank you, legalize it. Legalize it's as you were the culture number forty nine. We need more penis and g rated films. Legalize it, not are I don't want to. It's you know, they still have all these codes about you know, r rated films there g I think we start from the bottom, work our way out.
Speaker 2: What's so bad about the male body? Can I ask that question?
Speaker 3: I can't think of a single thing that's so bad about the malady that we can't see it in the Princess and the Frog.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, sometimes there's like balls double so what grow up? Lick it?
Speaker 3: I use my Manscape products and this is not an ad, but we have done as them before. But here's the thing, Manscape, I'm gonna come out here right now and say this. One of the few products on Last Culture is this that we've been sent and tried and that I then kept ordering.
Speaker 2: Has stayed in your life.
Speaker 3: It stayed in the conversation in my bathroom. Let's just say that there's some.
Speaker 2: Other sponsors that we know I obviously cannot possibly name, shall remain name with, but have made my life, have inconvenience to me in huge ways. Oh yeah, and also other sponsors that are kind of fucked up in terms of their practices, but we no longer but we no longer sponsor them, but it's very valid. People are kind of asking us please stop doing that. We have not done ounce with them for a.
Speaker 3: While, and I've actually when I had a personal Twitter, I actually did come out against this sponsor and say say it. No, no, we can't say it, but like, let's just say we're careful about what we do sponsorships for. All right, Here's how the sponsorships works, Because sometimes I think people are like, why is this happening on Last Culture? Restas everything that we are saying with our voice, we were asked, do you want to do an ad for that? If it's not us If it's like Bethany Frankel doing an ad for the army, that's something that Bethany Frankel said she would do, and iheart's putting on Channel wide. Okay, that's how that works. If it's Bethany Frankel for the US Army, that is not something that me, Matt Rodger and you Bowen Yang said we want on Lost Cultureiss. Bethany Frankel for the US Army is an iHeart thing.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, our podcast is its own advertising platform for Bethany Frankel for the Army. Now we're saying we wanted to go on.
Speaker 3: So now whenever you hear Bethany Frankel for the US Army, we should just do an ad for Bethany Franco for the US Army just because.
Speaker 1: I gotta go.
Speaker 2: But I just let me let me tell you about the Army, Okay, all right.
Speaker 3: The Army is one of the most amazing things in American history, which is obviously the best country they have. The America created the Apprentice, which I started on. Whatever I gotta go, I gotta getta.
Speaker 2: So you into endlist.
Speaker 3: You just gotta go to your US US Patriots dot gov dot gov or also you know it's fake and there's so many fake, so many fake things on the internet lately. And I'm telling you right now it's like you go on TikTok. Everything is fake TikTok and shadow bad me. I have no idea what's happening in there, but I gotta go. I just go US Army, dot com, dot gov or whatever it is, you go Google. Okay, So if you can find my TikTok after the shadow, bam me. I'm doing a review on the branches of the US military.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm reviewing and reviewing Army, Yeah, Air Force, Space Force, Space Force, Marians, Marines. You know, we all dated, and we all dated. What will remain nameless? I gotta go.
Speaker 3: My daughters driving me fucking crazy, and so my husband. Still it's not over all right, Well, US dot Com whatever I said, so be all that you can be.
Speaker 2: I have to say that part. And now I have to say, what is this watch top Gun Maverick. Yeah, Top Gun Meverick, I got you. That was for the.
Speaker 4: She do no.
Speaker 3: But like I know, there have been US Army ads.
Speaker 2: Theres been a lot of US Army ads on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Somebody said one time like, why is there an army ad on law school?
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 3: We do not support the military industrial complex. Okay, I mean, can we come out and say that.
Speaker 2: We can say that, and iHeart is still gonna be like tough titty. We're still putting Bethany Frankle for the US Army. It's not that we don't have respect for our men in green, which is I believe the color they were, Yes, yeah, men in uniform. Yeah, let's just say that, you know, we do our best.
Speaker 3: We try to only give you ads for products that we what's it, Let's let's be positive. What's what's a good thing we've used. That's an ad we've done. Oh, Hawthorn, I love Hawthorne products. I used then the sunscreen.
Speaker 2: Yep, love Hawthorn.
Speaker 3: Remember when McDonald sent us the mcgrib Oh.
Speaker 2: My god, that was a special day. And that was right in the throes of lockdown. And I really appreciated McDonald's for doing that. Yeah, that was major.
Speaker 5: Gosh.
Speaker 2: There's so many. I mean, obviously Kraft Mac and Cheese.
Speaker 3: Oh, Kraft mac and Cheese. I love down in history. It's really gotten down in history. So anyway, corporations, we are at the Walt Disney World Resort. Like I said, we are staring at the Magic Kingdom. Highlights from yesterday. We literally got to do everything. What was your highlights?
Speaker 2: My highlights was I did multiple lines. I did Ratituy and I did Tron light cycle run, both of which I had done in other countries international. This is, you know, maybe underlining something about globalization that is good and I don't know, but the fact that they were the same experience. Yes, drag and drop Dragon, drap well in a way that was actually comforting. Really anybody that was comforting. So you feel like I feel like globalization is the way. Globalization is the way I think. I think every country should have everything the same.
Speaker 3: We should all get the same. Okay, this actually is real culture number ninety one. Mobalization is forward. We should all get the same. The Galaxy cosmic rewind.
Speaker 2: That was artful. That was artful cosmic rewind. I felt like I was going back to the dawn of time. Well, I have news for you, queen. You went back there. I went back there, and we got to write it twice. Both times we got I ran so far, I ran so far by fuck of seagulls, Fuck of Seagulls.
Speaker 3: So basically, when you go on this ride, Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewinded is an a massive, massive roller coaster that's indoors and they launch you up, and in true Guardians fashion, there is like a classic song that plays during the ride, and we got Iran so.
Speaker 2: Far by Flap of Seagulls.
Speaker 3: Both times we were told we could get Conga by Gloria Stefan.
Speaker 2: So you want to come bad. I want Conga bad. Matt wanted Conga. I wanted and because because multiple people at work were like, I really hope you get this song Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears. That's a good one and it's one of my favorite songs. I would love, love, love for that to be blasting in my ear as I sit on one of the craziest coasters I've ever.
Speaker 3: It really was wild, and we're hopefully gonna get to do it again. And I hope can I tell you why? I hope what happens and let's get tactile. I hope that one time it's Conga and one time it's oh.
Speaker 2: My God, everybody wants to Rule the World. Oh my God, we're crying. Get we're touching. I think this is what Disney is all about, and it's about making memories with friends and people.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, thank you for saying. I also, yeah, it was an extremely fun day. What did you think of your experience on rides the Resistance, that billion dollar project.
Speaker 2: That billion dollar project at this scale. I was just this and love was obsessed with going inside, outside, inside, outside. Kind of didn't expect it to be like, this is the Ratituey ride, but two twenty these trackless vehicles, vehicles, I kind of I'm digging. I'm like the power of magnets. Yeah, it's really wild. It's I'm feeling like a juggalo because I'm going magnets. How do they work?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Tell me how it works? Magnet. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, we're having a fabulous day. Today is going to be more of a chill we sort of the world and drink.
Speaker 2: Around the Wild World showcase.
Speaker 3: We're having an absolutely fabulous day. At the top of the episode, we mentioned the Mother Convention, which was Megan Trainer was on Kelly Clarkson and then you sort of had a melt down. But I think we do have to face the fact that I think we started this.
Speaker 2: Mother thing with Megan Trainer. I don't think we did.
Speaker 3: I think we called Meghan Trainer's mother more than and before anyone else. And now she has a full song called mother. And basically what I'm saying is we are the We are the Chris Olson's who go unseen.
Speaker 2: We are the Chris Olsen's who are not her friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are the Chris Olsen's who are saying mother, mother, mother, not on TikTok, sort.
Speaker 2: Of beyond TikTok, and there is a world beyond.
Speaker 3: There is a world beyond TikTok and their lurk Matt and Bowen who've been saying Meghan Trainer mother for a long.
Speaker 2: Time on legacy media like podcasts.
Speaker 3: Lost cultis is legacy media. And that's for the culture number seventy eight lost legacy media. But whether we've been saying it as a joker or not, we have been saying it.
Speaker 2: Lost cult racist is part of big many players. It's part of iHeartRadio, is part of say that is part of whyte Storbory. Though I know I've heard Shiv say, well we've got we've got lost culture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Shiv is a huge reader. Shit is a huge or she's a Katie.
Speaker 2: Shit was kind of the one pulling the strings in terms of the deal being struck. Yes to get lost culture on Waste Star.
Speaker 3: She was like, these two are a path into a demographic we don't have.
Speaker 2: And listen, we were at Disney when Carlson and Lemon were out, and that makes us two of the foremost journalists working right now.
Speaker 3: Wait, let's pivot to talk about this. So there's succession to discuss, and there's also the wild media media having a moment.
Speaker 2: Media is having a moment.
Speaker 3: That's such a title of app Media is having a Moment, because media had such a moment Monday. We're recording this Tuesday morning at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando.
Speaker 2: Floors Media writ large.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so this is our big media episode, lights camera action. So yesterday Taker Carlson and Don Lemon out at Fox News and CNN, respectively. Other things also went down, but we're focusing on these two because it was just wild. These like sort of controversial, polarizing, to say the least, talking heads on different ends of the political spectrum both got canned and neither of them saw it coming right, and I think both of them sort of felt like protected, because why wouldn't they have already been given the boot. But both kind of messy girls in their own right, and let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. Because you're not too equate. Can we just say not too equate? Obviously not to equate, but for them to go. I never thought this could happen. Yeah, that means we're not safe, you and I we could be back to this episode. After iHeart listens to what we have to say about the sponsors, they go, you're out. We are gonna be lemoned. Carlsoned out of iHeart, which is our CNN, which is our Fox News. We thought we were like, we're good, babe. No, no one's safe.
Speaker 3: You are never safe. And if you're listening to this right now, I know last time I said Katie, you're a finalist. Here's what I'm saying to you today, Katie, You're not safe. You might be on the topic luck, we're messing around, Katie. But Katie, I'm just saying, wash your back.
Speaker 2: I'm saying the economy is not doing great. I'm saying we don't have the job security. We think we do now, we do not media personalities. They're hunting us. They are hunting media personalities. Okay, and I'm really fearful and I'm looking you wide eyed and til lo reata's how scared I look? You look very scared and scary? Might I add?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 2: Look, they're given everyone a pot. They're given Meghan Phelps Roper a podcast these days? What to a podcast defending JK Rowling? Can we just everyone wait? Huh? Everyone please? So you know this big witch trust of JK rolling podcast that's like popping off, that's Megan helps Roper, the ad mean Phelps Roper. And she's coming at it from the angle of I know what it's like to be on either side, to like persecute and be persecuted, and it's like, you know what it's like to be in a cult for years and brainwashed and now you're only sort of better because you're just starting the building blocks of humanity. She is coming at it from an angle of you need to be able to have reason to measured conversations with bigots because otherwise they won't listen to you. And ContraPoints did a second episode about JK Rolling within like the last year or everyone should watch it. And the reason she's revisiting this idea is because of the witch trials of JK Rowling. But basically she's being like, yes, it's an interesting point to make. It's a very attractive point to make, to be like, should you actually be able to like have a conversation with a person that you disagree with because otherwise, you know, like what hope do we have? But that is to like make Meghan Phelps, Roper and jk Rolling the main characters of the story, which they are not. The main characters are people who are getting their rights taken away, and no one is coming after the persecuted mr exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like it's like no one is trying to actually kill jk Rowlling, right, or take her rights away or take her money away.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Being in a Twitter fight constantly because of the things you post on a witch trial, it's you're putting yourself out there and putting your views out there, and when people like are angry about it or feel hurt by it or offended by it or feel endangered by it, they actually are allowed to react as strongly as they want.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 2: Actually, like really brought me back to like not to like talk about this too much. But it's like, thank God for ContraPoints because I'm just like, oh, I needed to hear this, because for a while I was like, I guess, like I should try to figure out a way to like understand the way someone on the other side thinks. M hmmm, and not to get like even to tribal in my own like in the way I describe myself like the other side. Lol. But I'm like, but it's not about that like that. I'm sorry. They are NPC correct, they are NPC.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: The Meghan Phelps roper of it all always did interest me because she was so she went so hard on the paint for the Westboro Baptist charge. She was so unmovable that for her to then like I think, that's like the weird thing is she was like I guess de radicalized online. Like I believe she even ended up getting together with or marrying the person that up like, which is getting in her DMS and like being like, hey, if you want to talk about this, you are incorrect on the way that you feel, which.
Speaker 2: Is also like a weird little textural thing in it. It's like, yeah, oh, the person, who do you radicalized you y'all wanted to really marry, like fuck each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's also again centering her perspective, which is, yes, you were able to be deradicalized online, but that's also not necessarily what happened, because what happened was you did media appearances on behalf of the Westboro Baptist Church and then you got an overwhelmingly negative reaction, which had to affect you initially to the point where then you saw the DM and were like, let me engage in this. And you also, I think, love the attention of going back and forth. It's that annoying thing that some people are where they're like, you know, contrarians and just want to fight to fight. That was the energy and that she had, like me and you on every episode of this podcast, it's really just noise. It's just fighting fighting, It's just two people fighting. It's just two gay guys fighting. And the gay guys have such annoying voices and just to hear them fight and squawk is so disgusting, and they just want to hear themselves talk. True, these gay guys just want to hear themselves talk. If everyone could leave a five star review and say these gay guys just want to hear themselves talk on the podcast app. That would be amazing, amazing, These gay guys just want to hear themselves talk hard. Leave that at a five star review. Bomb the ratings bomb the rating with five stars though, and that's called a bomb, and that's called a bomb. But she's just again centering her own experience totally, which is like I'm telling you it can happen. It's like, yes for you, but that's also not the full picture totally, and you wanted to fuck the guy, and.
Speaker 2: It's also yeah, well not even does talk about that. It's like this cannot be applicable to everybody because not everyone's going to marry the person that do you radicalize?
Speaker 3: Right, That's it. And also I'm not saying Megan Phelps Roper is wretched. I'm saying she was wretched. Now she's like trying her best, but it's like, this is not the way for everyone, And like to sympathize with jk Rowling, who again also does not come from your position because you were living in a relative state of like isolation. Jk Rowling has had the entire world at her fingertips and all the resources at her fingertips to educate herself, refuses or digs in. It just shows her true like inherent privilege and evil at this point. So again it's completely different.
Speaker 2: It's I don't really use this word too much, but the fop it's pop and I never say that word. The takeaway, the headline from this ContraPoints that just came out is this person is evil. Yeah, it's an evil person like this is wild. Yeah, And again I don't really I don't say evil. I don't say evil too much.
Speaker 3: Only when when we saw Kylo Red yesterday and the rise of their existance, Bowen actually screamed the word evil, and it was I just I'm really excited for Wicked. I'm gonna say, I'm just really excited for Wicked. If yesterday Bowen and Yang screaming the word evil was a glimpse at his performance in Wicked Part one, end two, you're gonna way to have to wait till Thanksgiving next year for that one.
Speaker 2: Then you are in for a spectacular treat. Alphabet stood no chance when if Fanny was.
Speaker 3: In the room, I can't believe that you as someone this is I guess acting right, so bang like I think really spiritually kind of is Alphaba and like you have the power of alpha ba and you know that Alphaba's good. But you, as the actor playing Fanny, you have to show all that you have to go in and you have to say things like evil.
Speaker 2: My biggest line, my moment is a tight single on me, a tight close upon me, and I go al evil and then that ends. That ends. You're good.
Speaker 3: I get why you booked this.
Speaker 2: You're so good, full of ship.
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 2: You're so good. You know you can't do this.
Speaker 3: I can do whatever I want. I'm good too, I know. Can I audition?
Speaker 2: Yes? Are you ready?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: I have to drop it. And this is a really hard part for me. It's not a natural fit. That's why I didn't.
Speaker 2: Oh football evil.
Speaker 3: I love that you're influencing me. Oh, we haven't dropped that yet. Oh the evil process on the call seat that.
Speaker 2: Says Fanny looks to camera, says Alphabet. I will say this is some bts and it's not revealing too much. There has been moments where I've like, where Cynthia and I, oh my god, this sounds so annoying, But then she's your co star in the Yeah, it's not that weird. She and I have like between takes, like I've been like, this feels really bad and I'm really sorry my character has had to be the cruel to her.
Speaker 3: Oh oh yeah, yeah, I thought you were talking about your own Actually so bad you like one fifteenth the size of the part of the street. Oh god, I'm not as good as you.
Speaker 2: I'm not as good as you. And she's like, it's okay, Darling. I wish I was nominated for an oscar like you, Tony. And I was like it was a scene where like you have to be cruel, cruel, and I'm like, this feels really bad in like my bones. And she's like, I know, Donning, it's fine, it's fine, don't worry. I'm it's terrible buttock set. But she's she can like she's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my gosh, what it must be like to have those must be you.
Speaker 2: And like I said, I'm bringing a crossboat a set. I'm not bringing a gun to set anymore because that you know, it's it's a little extreme, but I am bringing a crossboat a set to shoot down the drones that y'all keep sending into the premises.
Speaker 3: Stop sending drones into that artistic environment. Okay, please, there.
Speaker 2: Were no drones in OZ. No, you're breaking the spell, dear, there were no drones.
Speaker 3: And ohs, there was one liar man behind the curtain who lied to everyone. He said he was really OZ, he was just a man. And more on that later next year.
Speaker 2: Do we feel we covered the Tucker Carlson and Don Lemon thing? Yeah? Do we care? So basically, here's the deal.
Speaker 3: Tuger Carlson's awful and finally even Fox News couldn't stand them anymore and kicked them the fuck out. And it's just like, I guess ultimately they lost money or whatever. They couldn't stand that anymore.
Speaker 2: But the dominion lawsuit, it's like, oh, this man law has lied and lied in line, we're moving away from that. It's it's both of these networks like being like, oh, let's change course, let's not be crazy crazy, crazy crazy h which is for it to be beyond the pale. For Fox News is like lol yeah, and for CNN it's like he's chaotic. Don Lemon, Well, Don Lemon is like, unfortunately he represented this like left leaning voice that was like super opinionated, and I think now CNN's whole thing is like, m we don't want either side to be overrepresented, and so we're just gonna find Now, we're gonna find personalities who can moderate discussions between both sides, which I think is kind of like an such an iroll.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if you read the article, it's like he had said like wild things about women, like you know whatever, like saying like Nikki Haley was quote pastor prime or whatever. But that was like the tip of the iceberg. It's like if you really reading the lines, like Don Lemon got fired for doing gay ship behind the scenes, like.
Speaker 2: For doing like woman hating gage shit like mean gay shit. That's what That's what we were saying yesterday. It was mean gay shit because he was like literally sabotaging these women's careers, allegedly allegedly at CNN and MOUNT and I were like, that's such mean gay like that it gives mean gay outdated like data lounge mean gay shit, like oh like boomer ass mean gay shit, and not to this is not to like you know, be ageist, but it's like there is a like I thought it was a generational kind of gay man who was like, oh you think that about women, Oh okay, like it's giving that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And honestly, it's like it's kind of wild though, like a few years ago, these people that were on air, they're completely gone, like Cuomo, he's out now, Don Lemon and Tucker Carlson.
Speaker 2: Like it's a witch hunt. It's a witch hunt. I'm telling you.
Speaker 3: Media personalities are under attack. Media figures are not safe. If you want a media figure, Katie listening to this, turn around and look behind you. Make sure this no one with a knife. Just stick in your back, Katie. You're gorgeous back.
Speaker 2: You're gorgeous back. And this is quickly another thing that Countra Points is talking about, like she like she talks about like Anita Bryant in the beginning speaking for Damn. She's like, and it's again, I hate that I'm even bringing this up, but it is this other it's this other way of like representing this idea that like cancel culture is like this thing that like has always existed. It's like Anita Bryant was being variantly homophobic. Everyone was like, your career is over, babe. Yeah, Like everyone like and especially Game and obviously around the country were like, boycott the fucking Orange juice. Yeah, we're not watching your stupid little movies anymore. Like you're done in this business. And it's like burn a woman for like being a witch back whatever this is and like connecting different dots. But it's like, yeah, this is a human condition, is that we like kill each other. That's it.
Speaker 3: Like that was really powerful when you said that this is the human edition that we kill each other. That's real Coachure number fifty. This is the human edition that we kill each other. You're correct though in that like this, people have always been if they've done something incorrect, they've always had consequences for it. It's just that now there's so many people that we know about, and there's the information spread is so immediate and so wide, and like you know, it's so easy to find out about these things that we just hear it so much that we're saturated with this idea that people being fucked up because there's a lot of fun that people in the world get fired or tossed or you know, forgotten about or deleted from the Internet. How do you feel about the loss of the bluehack? So we have pour one out for the blue chack.
Speaker 2: Growing out for the blue checks everybody. We have our ice coffee.
Speaker 3: We have ice coffee. I'm not going to pour them out on the resort.
Speaker 2: But but no, but and it's just you know, in spirit, we're pouring one out for the war.
Speaker 3: Hope everyone feels good out there, and say fun the internet.
Speaker 2: Say be careful, it's tough. It's a lot of news outlets are ditching Twitter, which you know, for an election before a general election is tough, a tough one. I think the future is looking like it might be a rocky road. It might be a rocky road. And this is a really political and Desanti's country of all places.
Speaker 3: I can't even speak about the demon raw death Santa Death.
Speaker 2: Santa is traveling the world right now for no good reason. He's on the campaign Governor's doing international trips just to pivot, thinks, So, honey.
Speaker 3: Pivot some more happy news. You mentioned you listen to a couple of songs from Miss Clarkson. She's released some singles.
Speaker 2: And can I point out something? Yeah, In the song me, she literally sings an Adora Delano rusical melody and line what is it well door goes when you love me? What does Kelly singing that? Where got me? But I think she she goes when.
Speaker 3: She does a whole fucking run, she's she's giving the vocals, and you notice her gospel vocals on it, like very must say like that, like that big vibrato gospel influence vocals before the choir even comes that we're talking about me now, which is.
Speaker 2: The I don't need somebody me?
Speaker 3: That is she's giving vocals for sure on both tracks, but that I just noticed that she's kind of like leaning into her her gospel vocal influence. And on Mine that's more of just like a what'd you call that mine? I don't take an alternative pop song. It's like it changes tempos at the bridge, which was really yeah, I love that. I think my favorite out of the two is mine. I just think it's really obviously her voice. And you know what I love about the Kelly Clarkson songs that have just been released. Her vocals are in front of the production in a way that you do not hear like it doesn't sound like and I'm not dragging anyone, but it doesn't sound like eight different voices all being heard underwater like a lot of the pop girls now is just like we're into the vocal layering and production like being a major, Like you know, it's like a landscape or is this is like the vocal Yeah, and then very spare instrumentation behind it, like there's a drum kit, which I love, like you know, there's a bass that like sounds great, but like it's really about her voice and the lyrics, which is I think the direction we've wanted.
Speaker 2: Even her dialed dialed in that direction from the last Meaning of Life certainly or piece it was with a lot of production. Yeah, and Life was like I'm obviously you're obviously the bigger well.
Speaker 3: Meaning of Life was like definitely more a vocal event, and it was like genre wise, stuff that she wanted to do more because it was like soul full rock pop, which is sort of like what she's always wanted to do. I think, like she said, it was more of a throwback to what she sang on American Out of the Show, where she was like, you know, I used to sing Aretha Franklin like most of the time, and like there was R and B infused pop rocks that was had soul. That's kind of what her thing is. And now I think what we're seeing is I feel like either she's trusted to or not expected to do the pop thing, or she's just trusted to.
Speaker 2: Do what she wants to do.
Speaker 3: And so now we're getting more vocal driven music from her, which is good, and it's not like.
Speaker 2: My life would suck now You, which is.
Speaker 3: Really wasted on a voice like hers, which has so much texture and versatility that for her to sing these like pop songs with you know, only six different notes in them, which are actually harder to sing live and not as fun to hear live. And of course we love the anthems, we love since You've been gone, We love all the old Kelly bobs, but like.
Speaker 2: Her voice is just better than that. Yes, And I think now an audience, the audience knows this is like her first batch of original music since like Kelly Yoki really became a thing. Yeah, And like I think now people understand her to be like, oh, she's a vote. She can of course she can sing she want American Nidol, but like she can sing any any version genre of song by any artist. So for her to choose this as her own thing is meaningful and important, and I think a message is being sent to us, yes, as a general public, to be like, oh, okay, this is an interesting direction for her to go, and it really is interesting. Well we were, we were, by the way, Happy birthday, Kelly. It was your birthday on the Monday Day.
Speaker 3: People have been saying for years like, oh, why doesn't she do like an Adele thing? Why doesn't she do like an Adele thing? And it's like Adele can do an Adele thing because she started as doing an adel thing and people want her to do that. Like it's taken Kelly a long time to be able to do this because she was still like servicing like the pop machine, like this is my heartbeat song and it's like songs that you don't even remember. Whereas like now now that she's not expected to be on pop radio, I don't think which is you know, a problem in and of itself that has to do with agism and all sorts of bullshit. Like it's sort of nice at least for fans of hers that actually like to listen to, you know, her sing and like things that are meaningful to her, that she's able to do this now and we're gonna go see.
Speaker 2: Her in Vegas, very very excited. That's going to be the gag do I did get intel. I was gonna say, do you want to share this intell you? Because the first thing this morning, Matt and I get up to go get coffee. Matt gasps, okay, so Gasp says I have intel from this, So I have.
Speaker 3: I had a plant at the Kelly Clarkson show at the Blasco Theater early in the week, and she did the whole album front to back. And I think she's not doing music videos for the album. I think she's like entirely doing her own thing for it. What she wanted to do was she wanted to sing the album front to back at the Blasco Theater and it was filmed and I guess it will be released.
Speaker 2: At some point.
Speaker 3: But this is the intel that I got for what happened this person said, this person will remain nameless, that they know who they are.
Speaker 2: They're a legend. OMG.
Speaker 3: I think you will love the new album. It was truly spectacular. She performed the entire thing a lot more upbeat than I expected. I think my fave was Rock Hudson. This is a song called right. I'm obsessed that she says something like piece by piece, I became my own here and I love when artists are self referential like that. Another highlight was def Lighthouse.
Speaker 2: It's a good title.
Speaker 3: I would say that this was the most painful lyrically. I deaf cried during that one. It's one of her more emotionally charged albums. I would say. Then there's a song called Red Flag Collector love it. She prefaced it by saying, Mama was angry. Y'all, yep, skip this part. She had to restart twice because she got so emotional. It was another heartbreaker for sure about wanting to skip the hard part after a breakup. Title track she said was her Jeff Buckley moment. That means, so I think, I think it's more like acoustic. Oh I see, I see, I yes, magic it's called I also thought it was sweet. She prefaced that by saying the song was about like if I died tomorrow, at least I experienced magic. Then Sheila E features on a song. She came out and they did a couple songs. Sheila SHELA that's major and then you know, he's obviously said that her voice sounded amazing. But the magic part really got me because I remember.
Speaker 2: Thinking that we're at Disney, of all places, I know to.
Speaker 3: Hear that there was a song called Magic at Disney, but like the concept of like because I did think that a couple of times. I was like, oh, well, you know what, if it's over, at least I got that moment of like, it's feeling really good. And I guess that's what the whole concept of chemistry is, right. It's like, you know, you get to experience what it's like to be really wrapped up in something and someone, and it feels like an invincible feeling. And then even though it's gone, like at least you got to experience it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and skipping the hard part, you know, skip this part feels very hashtag relatable, hashtag relatable, and people are forgetting hashtag relatable.
Speaker 3: You think that relatability culture is going to come back in a major way.
Speaker 2: I think it's never left.
Speaker 3: I think we're always in it. I think we're always we always appreciate relatable. Who is the most relatable queen?
Speaker 2: Honestly, maybe Kelly, Maybe she is. Maybe it's Kelly and it's not recency by it, it's just it's Kelly. Chila, that's very exciting. Sheila legend Let percussion nist the percussion. We're actually so excited to announce that the percussion nist. The award goes to Congratulations.
Speaker 3: Congratulations you are a finalist and a winner at the same time. Did you see that the readers are sort of discussing that there's a four quadrants Now it's sort of become the huff of puff hogwarts houses.
Speaker 2: Damn it so now it's unfortunately, well we can take it back.
Speaker 5: No, no, no.
Speaker 3: People are identifying in one of four ways a katie katie, a reader, a finalist, or a publicist, and it was so fascinating. I saw some conversation online about how people felt they fell into different boxes and it was very equal. Really, yes, I here's what I think the difference is. A Katie is that person who listens and they're feeling like very comfortable and at home in it, and they're saying yes, yes, yes, back to the podcast when we speak yes. I think a reader is someone who is diligent and consuming.
Speaker 2: This is huge, This is so major that you're actually the cliniant. Please.
Speaker 3: And I think a reader is diligent and consuming and is obtaining information and they are the ones who go out and they're doing it like to fill out the cultural self. Yes, the publicist is I think someone who takes information from this and takes things from this and they go out and spread gospel.
Speaker 2: That's interesting publicizing. Does it also work the other way where I feel like I learn so much from publicists. I'm saying the publicists in the lost cultural systems, where so many publicists reach out to me and they go, here's some information for you that I think you might enjoy, and I go, ah, I would have never known. Thank you. Yes, And I appreciate them so much equally as the others. But there's a certain thing that publicists do and that really I appreciate.
Speaker 3: That makes them different from a Katie or read exactly. And finally, a finalist is I think someone who comes late and actualized to the podcast and they feel as though this is something they can add to their media diet that gives them another weapon and they're already completed arsenal. I think the finalists an elder that that say that that's just how I feel about it, but maybe you can interpret it differently.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I think that's a great clearly you've thought about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And well, I mean I was just so enthralled by the readers sort of going about their sort of identity. They were finding their identity in an interesting way. And I loved watching it and I love to see it. And one thing that's coming back, I love to see it.
Speaker 2: I love to see it. Now, we do want to address something we wanted to get on this sooner. There seems to be a lot of confusion about the quote unquote ticketing systems for the Culture Awards this summer Jane seventeenth, Damn Marsh Park at Lincoln Center. We are so sorry that people ended up waiting hours and hours on a queue. The Q system is just to apparently view the website. Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 3: I mean, so basically what you need to know is that this is a free event and you just have to show up at it.
Speaker 2: You just have to show up at it. There is on Monday, June twelfth, the opportunity to claim tickets on the website. So that is something that if you go back to the Lincoln Center Summer for the City website and go to the event listing, that is maybe an opportunity to claim tickets. But we have on good authority that most people who came and waited stand by last year got in. Yeah, so come a little bit early if you want. A lot of people described positive experiences meeting other readers, publicists, finalists, and that was, you know, such a fun night. So, oh my god, if you can make it, we would love to have you there.
Speaker 3: An announcement's coming soon about nominees and presenter special guests. But sorry that it's a little bit more confusing than it needs to be. But that's only because it's actually way easier than it needs to be ultimately, which is really you just show up to show or on June twelfth, you can procure some sort of ticket.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I don't think so, honey. People going, oh, boy Genius is not I mean you paid money for that, and you might see him again. Yeah, you won't see us again.
Speaker 3: Ever. All I'm saying is I see boy Genius pop up all the time. Okay, boy Genius is going to keep performing. Last Coulture is just may never perform again.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 3: We may never perform media again. Personalities are under attack, including us. Are we in a feud with boy Genius? Now we'll lose, We'll lose.
Speaker 2: We can't be the biggest MOONA stands in the world and then also be in a feud with boor Genius.
Speaker 3: Did I get into like that? I went to Puticella and everything. Did I get into that?
Speaker 2: But you get into it more.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just saying, like one of the great moments was watching Muna just absolutely destroy and then boy Genius.
Speaker 2: All came out.
Speaker 3: Well, Phoebe came out obviously first during Soilk Chiffon, which yesterday Bowen Yang was in his poncho and I said.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Silk Chiffon, I didn't hear that. Oh that's how.
Speaker 3: You were, but you were in your poncho. And I said, oh, maybe it was Dave and I said.
Speaker 2: Shot it fun.
Speaker 3: And it was just a little joke we were doing about how our ponchos and it doesn't know what we're made of. Soa fun But anyway, Peepe came out, and then all the boy Joeys came out and it was just like watching the six of them altogether. It was power, so fun, It was powerful, powerful, croud of everyone, so so overjoyed, seriously so overjoyed.
Speaker 2: I said, powerful, letting energy, powerful, Bye.
Speaker 3: Queer energy, say it, say you the word queer queer is here. We just said, a roller coach number ninety eight queer is here. Should we move on to I don't think so, honey, did you want to have Do you want to say anything about succession?
Speaker 2: I need to catch up. I do want to say, Oh my gosh, everyone better start watching Missus Davis on. Oh yeah, I get.
Speaker 3: Into it because now you've seen it too. I've only seen the first episodes because I went to the premiere.
Speaker 2: I'm on, I'm an episode three. I still have to finish up. This week's the premiere batch of episodes. This is right up my ouse. It's so excellent. I knew you'd like it, these excellent performances across the board. Betty Gilpin, crown it, crown it.
Speaker 3: I said to her, I was like, you know, yet again, you find a way to make every choice brand new. She's so just idiosyncratic, but also it's still it is that thing of like character, like in a way where it's always interesting and specific and like she has found yet another project that is interesting and specific and that she fits into perfectly. And we are lucky to have a show this cool and fun and different that's led by this cool and fun and different of a performance and it's it's kind of has to be seen to be believed. It's it's it's one of those things I can't explain super easily. But that's like the Damon lindelof of it all, which if you were a Damon Lindelov fan, this is capital F capital y for you. Yeah, and also you'll be frilled to know I mentioned this on the podcast, that it's the funniest he's been because he is a funny person.
Speaker 2: He's a funny person. And credit to Tara Hernandez, who was y co co creator on the show, Yes he I think he said that, like, I'm not the funny one. That's her. I'm the weird one. But I feel like his weirdness and his like grandiosity in terms of his storytelling is a perfect match for this kind of humor. That it's like weird, but not like weird in like the I don't know, and it's not.
Speaker 3: Like esoteric weird. It's like quirky weird this time it's like, you know what I'm saying, But even quirky feels like kirky is like a slur.
Speaker 2: I don't like quirky.
Speaker 3: It's like rule culture number nine, quirky is a slur. We have to get rid of quirky. And I literally I hate that.
Speaker 2: I even know, no, no, no, but it's because that word has been burrowed into words. Psyche's yeah, and it's like we need to like let it go. I hate quirky. I hate quirky. No one's quirky. No one is.
Speaker 3: Quirky died in like the early two thousands with and this is not a per jar if I'm not shouting on this movie, but Quirky died with like five hundred days of Summer like we did Quirky. We moved on like you know what I mean, Like and I love five hundred days of Summer, but I feel like in that it's like it died with the matic pixure dream girl, you know what I mean? Like quirky is I just I hate quirky.
Speaker 2: I don't like TWEE.
Speaker 4: Can I say?
Speaker 2: I think me and you and Sudy are all on that. Oh we we were so anti TWEE. I know, I know, but oh my god, Missus Davis is excellent. Oh my god, before you move on, I don't think Sophny, we all need to be listening to flow their EP has been out for like about a year at this point, but I think they've done live shows recently and specifically in New York though, so again, this is a very like solipsistic like, oh, if it happened to New York, then it actually happened. But at least in New York. I feel like and because I've been out this week, I'm off of work and like I'm like being social again. Like everyone's like, have you been listening to Flow? And I'm like yes, and excellent, excellent, tight harmonies, tight girl group, vibes, Y two k rowback, love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is giving like Destiny's Child back in the day. Like it's actually, I think, directly inspired by that.
Speaker 2: It's directly inspired by like Destiny's Child three LWTLC, which is fun WV. It's like that me and Nick Laughlin were kind of like, oh, it should be called Flo, but if it is pronounced Flow in that tradition of like three letters or whatever, and you say each of them individually, but it's Flow, okay. And it's not even like their initials or anything. It's just Flow. But I love it and excellent.
Speaker 3: There's some like very very little mixed vocal quality in there too. So if you're looking for a girl group, uh huh, you found it.
Speaker 2: You found it. And it was the Bowen who pointed you no, no, no, it was it was They've been around. But I did write them off as like unfortunately, I did write them off as like algorithm artists. I was like, Okay, this is this is like that happens all the time. It happens all the time, and look, we love them. But I was like, okay, like I'm gonna add this to my library. I'm gonna let's sit and then I'm gonna see you know how sometimes you need something to cook in the library for a little bit before it like really works its way into like your rotation. Yeah, and it's really worked its way.
Speaker 3: And there's one song that I really like that's come out, which is like, it's like pretty a generic pop song.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've heard it.
Speaker 3: It's called Lost the Breakup by Mazy Peters. It's like Carlie ray Jepson, British. It's just a cute little song with a very nice little bridge and she's like I think a couple people have compared the writing to like Taylor so it's sort of like if Taylor Swift like being like Taylor Swift meet like a British version of Carlie ray Jepson. That's kind of what her voice sounds like. But she's got a cute little song i'll called Lost the Breakup, and I've been listening to it a lot. I think it's time for I don't think so, honey, which is sort of the thing that we uh do every episode.
Speaker 2: I'd say, bo.
Speaker 3: All right, so now I'm trying. I've just had such a wonderful few days that and also, by the way, let me just mention and I can't believe it mention this because we got directly into the culture.
Speaker 2: But my sister got married.
Speaker 3: This week and Chelsea Rogers is now Chelsea Frasier Chelsea. And it was such a lovely day and my sister was the chillest, coolest, most gorgeous bride ever. She looked amazing. Everyone was so happy. Peter, her husband, was so emotional throughout the ceremony. And I'm just so happy I got to officiate the wedding. It was the first time I'd ever done that, and I said in my speech, like what I was most impressed about by them, and like what I loved about them so much is the peace that they give each other. They they just truly live such a peaceful, like loving, supportive life, and I think that that is something that in a partnership, like is a value that I think often gets overlooked, is does the person make you feel calm and make you feel at peace and make And I've just there's such an emblem of that for me, and so I I tried to infuse that in my speech a little bit and just that they're motivated by time spent together, and I said, you know, I'm just proud of them and happy for them that they found someone that they can start now and it's like the beginning of a lifetime of more time. Like I just think that that's such a great, beautiful thing. So I just wanted to celebrate my sister, my little sister, who got married, my one sister, and we had a beautiful wedding in Saint Pete, Florida, friends and family dancing the night away. And of course you know the DJ got it crunk when wrong, because you know, like it's that thing of like at weddings that you go to for people our age sort of the high school music comes back when I tell you that, like Ying Ying Twins, Little John was playing at this wedding and I look over and I just see like my Aunt Maureen and Aunt Patty, and it's just like.
Speaker 2: Wow, to the windows to the wall.
Speaker 3: You listen to this music and you're like, this really was everywhere, and if you were not comfortable with it, it didn't matter.
Speaker 2: It didn't matter if you hate it. If you had and I'm sorry to bring this back up. If you have meceophonia, and the whisper song came.
Speaker 3: On rip Rip, that's actually really co uber eighty eight if you have mistaphonia, And then whisper song came on rip, that's beautiful.
Speaker 2: And you failed to mention on the pod and you feel you kind of buried this. What did I lead? You were like, oh, Chelsea, was the chill spread. I was like, I believe it. And then you tell me last night dinner her plumbing went out three days before the wedding and she had to get well water to like clean herself, and she did not let that affect the mood at us. She was like, yeah, yeah, I mean the water went out, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well she I could tell she was stressed, but she was basically like, yeah, the water went out in like her apartment complex. Oh my goes out and gets water from like somewhere, brings it into the bathroom so she can literally flush a toilet. And then a frog jumped out of the no of the bucket, like because the frog had been in the water that she got, and she was literally like it was giving Amelia Badilia. It was giving act plates spinning that vibe. But and imagine getting married forty eight hours later. Just imagine she's probably one of the first people in history who had a frog fucking frogged about her toilet.
Speaker 2: It was on days before they got married. It was just unreal.
Speaker 3: And Katie's I mean, that is a true testament to how chill this bride was a Chelsea Fraser. Say it loud, say it proud. It's so weird that she has a different last name. You know, I almost didn't assume that she would take it Chelsea Fraser. I love Chelsea Fraser's great. I mean, it's kind of an even trade with Chelsea Rodgers. Chelsea Fraser.
Speaker 2: You kind of make the same mouth sounds like, the oral posture is the same Fraser Rogers, Well, she married Brendan Fraser. Oh that's so fun. Yeah, it's so fun. We love having him in the family. He doesn't.
Speaker 3: He doesn't love my take on the whale. But that's just one of the things family will have to get over. Family, you know, Like, I'm so happy to have my brother in law Brendan Fraser around. Now, well, it's I don't think so many times this is I don't think.
Speaker 2: So, honey.
Speaker 3: The sixty second segment where Bowen Yang and met Rogers, that's us. Actually, if you were confused, we'd take sixty seconds to rail against something in culture that needs a railing, okay, sort of like us high fived.
Speaker 2: I actually would love that soon love that, Well, you have some time. How much longer you have time off depends on if the strike. Yes, there might be a strike and then bon Yang can get railed all the do dot day. I love that. I would love to get railed for labor solidarity.
Speaker 3: By the way, I would like to say in a real way, you know, we voted yes on that strike offisation. We are in big, big support of the WGA. We're actually both members and we will be hitting the streets to picket post taste, and we hope that everything works out for the best, but we are ready the.
Speaker 2: Two point five percent of people who voted knowing the guild, I go, Okay, yeah, what happened there? I don't know. I mean, they must have the reasons. Maybe it was a slip of the finger on the website.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I think some people are like, some people are like, no, we can't do that. Yeah, Phil, they have good reasons for it, which I let's kock get into it.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe those are like literally all of the studio execs who like happened to be in the guild, in the guilds and also so are well represented by AMPTP.
Speaker 3: I'll say this. There was one tweet and take out with a grant of swell. But there was one from a particular show where apparently a lot of writers on this one particular very popular comedy show voted no. And I'll let the readers and the katies and the publishers in the finals it was cheers. I'll let them all do their own digging on that. But I thought it was interesting and I didn't dive deep enough to like really understand what was happening, But it seemed like there's one comedy show out there that's super popular critically and like, you know, commercially where more than one person voted no HM.
Speaker 2: Anyway, before we move on speaking of writers, I need to read this piece on Vulture about the Who Jackie of it all. I didn't realize that Who Jackie was like such a prolific urban legend at this point in terms of comedy writing where there's apparently a story of So this is back in the days of literally asking who Jackie. So Roseanne back in the day, like peak Roseanne, right, Roseanne Barr would bring and like the writer's room would be like thirty people she would just bring in, like random ass people she saw at the club, and like they'd be hired for like ten episodes and then they'd be like fall away as soon as they came and like people would be like, oh wait, that person worked for us. So the norm McDonald was describing this, this is like the origin of the legend. There's this one writer who's who gets brought in is like this like some comic from some club that Roseanne must have seen doesn't say a peep for two years, two full seasons. Is in the writer's room doesn't pitch, doesn't really doesn't say anything right, and this this will sound familiar in a second. And then one day they're like trying to come up with like, you know, story ideas for the episodes. And then one day this writer finally like says something and goes, what about an episode where like John Gimman's character comes home and he sees Roseanne. He catches Roseanne watching her big fat ass in the sink, washing her big And they've literally done like a thirty Rock episode about this, like hasn't like having we heard like yeah, she's she's washing her ass in the sink, like it comes from this story. And then they're like, oh, that's kind of crazy. I don't think we can show that. Then this writer goes, well, it's not Roseanne. You find out it's her twin sister. And then they're like, oh, well, Roseanne already has a sister, you know, you know, we already have Jackie. And then the writer goes, who, Jackie has been in there for two years. Every character.
Speaker 5: Jackie.
Speaker 2: I love Who. But like I've heard some version of like it does sound familiar, like it's a very like it's like a comedy inside joke thing of like comedy writer, let's say inside joke thing of like oh Jackie, like you know the man comes home and catches the wife washing her big fat ass in the thing. Yeah, like that I think has like really like stayed stayed around for decades and I'm like that's where it's from. And I don't know. There's like there's this whole like journalistic like oral history or whatever on Vulture about like because everyone claims to have been in that room and like again like there were Jackie who jack there? But there again, there were like thirty people in that room at least, and like but like over the years, like this story has like warped. Were like hundreds and hundreds and hundred of people have been like I was there when who Jackie happened? But it's like, no, you weren't. Well is that interesting? I have to say for that writer who said who did say? Who Jackie? What he needs to be is fairly paid on residual thank you. I don't know where.
Speaker 3: I don't know where Roseanna is getting played, but that person, it's beside the why that person needs to be who jack You? Writer needs to be more fairly paid on residuals. Did I ever tell you about years ago? I knew someone who wrote on Joan Cusack sitcom in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And apparently one day she came into the writer's room and was like really frazzled and like not happy with what the writers were doing. And they were like why and she said, there's just too much conflict. Oh, and they said huh. She said, yeah, there's too much conflict. Can I just come in and jump on the bed? And they're like, Joan, that's not really how like episodic television sitcom comedy works, Like there needs to be conflict in the episode because that's actually where the comedy comes from and that's how storytelling works.
Speaker 2: She's like, well, I don't know. I just want to jump on the bed.
Speaker 3: That's the thing is like, when you build the show around an actor, sometimes they have actor brain and they want to come in and jump on their bed. And my other favorite thing, a good friend of ours was writing on a show with two actors and she asked the vibe of another writer.
Speaker 2: She's like, what do they like? What do they do? And the writer says to them, you know, this really is just an excuse for them to make their noises. I'll tell you off air listen, an actor's brain can be so beautiful and so complex, and I will watch any after interview, actor, round table, whatever. Sometimes an acter brain is so silly, so small and not not a dig at John Cusack obvious. No, she's just brains. Oh my god. Have we ever talked about kristin the Christian shennow with sitcom on NBC? That was Oh gosdy though? Was she on that? Was joonk music on that?
Speaker 5: No, she was not on that.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying, like I I miss when we built a sitcom around one person for like a fun voice.
Speaker 3: They had well, stay tuned, stay.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So I don't think so, honey. I think I'm ready. I think I have something that I could do. Want to hit my phones here? Oh great, you appeared a wild phone appeared, welcome on reference.
Speaker 2: Reference Okay, this is Matt Rodgers. I don't think so, honey. His time starts now.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, honey. The difference and quality between the parts of the Caribbean and Walt Disney World and the parts of the Caribbean and Disneyland. The Walt Disney World one is way superior. I feel bad for all of you California girls. The parts of the Caribbean Disneyland version takes approximately a half an hour to get through. Is five thousand boats that you're constantly jamming up, and the animatronics are not giving what the girls are giving.
Speaker 2: In the parts of the Caribbean Orlando.
Speaker 3: Not to lift up any Johnny Depp animatronic, but I'm just saying it looked like the real doll. Not to call Johnny Depp the doll and uh, but in many ways he wasn't walking, talking doll.
Speaker 2: That's what an animatronic is. Okay, that's what a doll is. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: But I will say the parts of the Caribbean and Orlando had production value. I couldn't tell where the ceiling started and the wall started.
Speaker 2: This is huge.
Speaker 3: It also moves a lot faster. And I'm just saying, we got to get through these things, the Disneyland and parts.
Speaker 2: Of the Caribbean.
Speaker 3: Some people that had got on it five years ago were still on it. We will never find them. They are ghosts, just like Johnny and co. I don't think so, honey. That's a one minute so that's just something I've realized, like because I've been to Disneyland a bunch since living in California, and the Pirates of the Caribbean there is a miserable experience, whereas yesterday I had a wonderful experience on the Pirate's ride.
Speaker 2: I didn't know apparently one of the only haunted rides. Oh yeah, we were told. Did you say they're making a movie about the redheaded pirate or is that someone we were with. I don't have this insider knowledge.
Speaker 3: So do you remember how a few years ago they changed Pirates of the Caribbean from very much rape culture to girl boss culture. The way they did that was there was a scene where the pirates were auctioning off women. There was like an iconic scene in project of it was like an auction of women and had red hair. Yeah, it was very problematic, and so what they've done they were selling the red head and after there was uproar about this, obviously justifiably, they changed it to the red haired woman became a female pirate.
Speaker 2: And she was running the auction. Interesting.
Speaker 3: So then apparently there was supposed to be a movie about her, but it's in development. Hell uh huh, we know what that likely story, likely story that's coming back.
Speaker 2: Matt said, Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm bringing back the phrase likely story when it's not likely. Okay, so bone Yang, I'm ready to do your I don't think so.
Speaker 2: If you're ready to give it, I'm ready to give it. And it's I'm going to go there. Oh shit, damn it, I'm what about the hand actually, oh jesus me, no, no, no, never, you I am famously the hand. No, okay, this is ban yangs. I don't think so, honey. His time starts now. I don't think so, honey. Disney Contemporary Resort for changing its theme to Incredibles, I don't really get it. I know that the theme is.
Speaker 5: I know that.
Speaker 2: You know, in seventy one when the park opened, you know, this was one of the this was one of the starter resorts. This sort opened with the park amazing at the time. This was incredibly state of the art, ahead of its time aesthetically, and look that aesthetic has remained quite timeless. But I think it's sort of it sort of cheapens the whole thing. If the aesthetic is frozone and Edna mode on every damn wall and the wallpaper being Jack Jack and miss is incredible. Alasta Girls. Incredibles is one of my favorite movies in all of Disney Pixar. I feel like I.
Speaker 3: Cannot really sectomic the colors and the mod theme too much. It kind of goes with the temporary but not really and that's a minute. Yeah, to be mod and also contemporary at the same time is an interesting thing.
Speaker 2: It kind of makes sense, but it kind of doesn't.
Speaker 3: Right. They do love their ip here, I mean everything, I get it. I get it too, but I am in agreeance with you that it feels odd that everywhere you look it's incredible and it makes you feel like Ken Incredibles as an ip with stands an entire hotel.
Speaker 2: I suppose yes. I suppose yes, but I listen. I would have loved it, and this would have been much harder and probably not it would have not hit with the kids, with the family staying in this building.
Speaker 3: Right, That's the thing too. We have to remember Disney is for kids. Disney's for kids.
Speaker 2: But I and I but I feel like a tron thing would have been fun. You literally have the monorail come in it. It feels very like, oh my God, like the magic. You want to stay in a West World hotel. Not necessarily. I'm like, I just think the theming is a little off the mark here in this particular building, and.
Speaker 3: Wanted to stay at the Four Seasons, and I said, no.
Speaker 2: No, it's no Matt. And this is what I'm not biting that. I'm definitely not biting the hand when you're the hand you did every Matt planned this trip to perfection. I'm just saying, this is not a Matt note.
Speaker 3: This is a the building because I saw before they re themed best it was a perfectly, lovely, perfectly sort of like you know, seventies era hotel. Yeah, and I'm like something got lost when they and contemporizing is which is a word. Yeah, they committed to the IP thing and that's what's contemporary for them. They're doing the IP thing. Sure, sure, sure, we have had not only a wonderful trip so far that will continue. We're actually we're with Dave Mazzonia right now. We're being joined by Studie Green. Later in the week we will go enjoy Universal's parks and experiences in a resort.
Speaker 2: The very excited.
Speaker 3: But we have also had a great episode today.
Speaker 2: We've had a great episode today and.
Speaker 3: It's always great to drop in with sister and enjoy time together in the same space and get a little tactile when need be. Right now, we're actually wearing our magic bands, which we've decided are the fashion accessory going forward. These magic band pluses. Fireworks going off in the fireworks going on. Oh my god, this is truly the finale of the episode. There's fireworks going off at the castle. Right when I was gonna say that magic ban pluses are County. Well, literally that's happened several times. Like we'll say like magic bands are cunt and then like the fireworks will start, like et cetera. Like that's happened many times.
Speaker 2: Wow, if you say County and and Disney World, there will be fireworks, gunfire.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, sorry, Okay, this has been lost culture essens with Matt Rogers and Boon and Yang, and we end every episode with a song.
Speaker 2: Love is an open Wow. We can't even get through. Are so beef? My life has been a series of doors in my face. Then suddenly i'ment inting.
Speaker 4: I was thinking the same thing, because like I've been searching my whole life to find my own place. Maybe it's the party talking or the Chocolate Fund.
Speaker 2: But with you, But with you, I see your it's not not I've never known before.
Speaker 5: Love is an open door. Love is an open Love is an open door.
Speaker 4: With you, with you, with you, with you.
Speaker 5: Love is an open door.