Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Resent Choice Media. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, all right, everyone, welcome home. This is our mini pod for this week. Uh Tip. Every week yields her time for listener questions, and we still end up getting a pile up because you guys take us in so many different directions. It really is like family talking true to form, Nick, you not our mute true toiform. We always end up down some other roads, so we don't always get to those questions. We're gonna use this mini pod to get to some of those questions today.
Speaker 2: Let's roll.
Speaker 3: The first one, hey, Native Pod people disappoint is to Tiffany.
Speaker 4: I think you're really unfair to Abby on the show.
Speaker 3: I watch the show every night, and you act as if Abby doesn't push back on these people saying this wild stuff is conservative. She does it every night. She jumps in their ass all the time. I think you're really unfair you take you know.
Speaker 4: I think you really need to give her.
Speaker 3: Some more respect on how she conducts herself and how she handles that show.
Speaker 4: She's one person with six people for the people talking over each other and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: And she makes a point to point out when people are lying. In addition, I think you know you keep saying that the media doesn't do this, doesn't do that.
Speaker 4: That's false because the media.
Speaker 3: Has talked about the Fentanyls not coming through Venezuela's coming through Mexico. They point out The New York Times, CNN, other outlets have done this.
Speaker 4: I get your criticism and a lot of it.
Speaker 3: You're right because you know it's about the ratings and getting the arguments going. But I also think that your hyper your your criticism is a little off sometimes, and you should you should be really you should you really should chill out when it comes to talking about Abby because I think you're really off based on that one.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Thanks, you're mad about Abby.
Speaker 2: Absolutely love Abby, and I think that I think that she takes criticism and constructive criticism better than most people. She hears it all. But I also think, just to kind of answer answer buddy question, I think Tiffany got smoked for us all. I don't think it's an uneven smoke. I think she has soak for the co host on this show, me and Angela and Andrew. I think she has smoked for Abby when it's and I think that that is why you that Tiffany Cross posse that you got to come up with a name for them appreciate you because you're it's not disrespectful. I do want to chill on that, but I do think that your criticism comes from a place of trying to move journalism further in what you perceive that notion to be and a common good, And so I don't think it. I don't think and I can't speak for Abby either, but I don't think anybody believes it comes from a bad place. A lot of times people just be hating, and I don't ever think people say Tiffany Cross is a hater. So I just wanted to start there. And you may have a totally different perspective. You may say, Tiffany that I am a hater. It should be my slot x I Z. I don't know what you're about to say, but that's just how I felt about it.
Speaker 1: No, thank you for jumping in, and I'll be brief. I just want to be clear that I don't recall saying something on this show, specifically that Abby relatives to everyone else is problematic. My criticisms have typically been about the networks at large, of which Abby is a representative. My criticism has also not been to her pushback on people who are on the platform. My criticism is having the people on the platform. I don't know when it became journalism to seed our platforms to white supremacists. Furthermore, I'm so sorry because I know you sent us questions before, so I don't remember your name. But I think if your position is no, the media has for sure met this moment, and you feel like they are covering all the stories with the proper context, and you may be consuming things I don't. That is a place where we probably disagree. I could go through incite over the past twenty years where I think the media has failed us significantly, But I don't have to do that because I wrote a whole book about it. There are three hundred pages that you can read. If you are curious about specific examples of how the media fails, you can google the book. But it's say it louder. But I will continue to be a constant critic of the media, and I would dispute your perspective that I'm disrespectful to Abby. None of us are beyond reproach, even your criticisms of me, I welcome them and thank you for your feedback on how you perceive it. But again, I think if your position is the media has met this moment and that my criticisms are misplaced, I disagree and leave you to that opinion, but happy to take the next question. Hi Yah.
Speaker 5: So first I just want to say to if I love you in my head, my bff, I think that the conversation you guys are having regarding Pop the Balloon.
Speaker 2: It's just very hilarious. I absolutely agree.
Speaker 5: With u tivity. I think that it's not loving. It reminds me of Joning. And I used to always tell my family, who were the biggest Joners, about how Jonan I believe it came from slavery.
Speaker 4: You know how we believe everything.
Speaker 2: Comes from slavery.
Speaker 5: And the reason why I believe that is because I believe that they, you know, used to Joan in order to toughen us up so that way we could deal with the daily traumas that we were dealing with. So that's my spill on you know, why not the Jonah. I think the same thing applies to Pop the Balloon. I just don't think that it's a loving activity. I think there's way better ways for us to use our time and fight the programming. That's all I wanted to say.
Speaker 6: Guys, have a good one.
Speaker 1: Welcome home, Welcome home, and thank you for sending that in. And when Angela goes on the show, she's gonna use the opportunity to elevate a very important issue to our community. And I do I actually want to let you comment on this to Angela because we've talked about like black culture, and you know how we talk to each other, all of us, you know, Bacari, we talked about this as well, and I do think it is our culture. We were in Texas and we were pulling into a restaurant that kind of looked like a gas station and we were just talking about the way that we like basically jone on each other, jone on everything, and so when we were pulling in, we were like, this is whole gas station as a restaurant, Like we do this all the time. Yes, I think it is part of our culture. I also think it's a part of our trauma. And I just don't always find it entertaining when we do it amongst ourselves and our good spirit. But I don't find insulting each other entertaining all the time, not when it's like harsh or from a negative place. But I'm sure y'all have thoughts on all of it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I had it was a mechanism for me to survive. I mean, I went to I went to high school when I was twelve. I had a big head, I was skinny, I didn't dress the right way because I was coming from private school. And boy, they gave me hell when I walked through those doors. And so yeah, I used to tell people they mama was so fat. When they jumped in the sky, she got stuck, right, I mean, that.
Speaker 4: Was just.
Speaker 2: That was just that was I had to I had to. I had to cope, and and you know, it's it was. It was a way to But you also realized that the people who were really good at it, though, Tiffany, it was a whit, it was a skill, and a lot of those people either they were really bad it ended up in a different path, or some of them became you know, lawyers that we all know or politicians that we all know. Because I know, I know Andrew ken Jones is really dry. It is really it's really subtle it's subtle.
Speaker 1: You walk away.
Speaker 2: Damn I'm bleeding.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know. Yeah, but you know, I it takes discipline because I definitely have that skill, like I have an acid tongue and I got something sharp ready to go all the time, and it takes discipline to be to take a breath, you know, to I mean, I think delayed gratification is a part of maturity. So I don't need every insult doesn't deserve my response. So sometimes I do, you know, like, you know, let me breathe and let you have that when I've been on many sets, many times where you know, I just have to say, I let the audience you know, perceive it the way they will because I'm not gonna engage in that. I don't always win that battle with myself. Sometimes I do, you know, match energy and let something fly out my mouth that I wish. I don't know if that was the best way to handle that, but I do. Just because you told that fat joke, I do want to say. I did see a few comments who were offended, and I would speak for myself and felt like when I was saying bacari, have you ever dated a woman who looked like she could cook, and people were offended by that, you know, they were like, what's up with the fat shaming? Like we don't really find that funny? And I didn't even perceive it that way. But it's not up to me. If somebody else took offense to something I said and I wasn't trying some people, if you offend it, I'm like, yeah, I'm meant to offend you. But on that I didn't even realize that I was making fun of people who are overweight. I don't consider myself skinny by any means, so I just want to acknowledge like I saw that.
Speaker 2: Can y'all too help me with something please? Yeah, because I don't see it either sometimes. But what this new culture? I think sometimes I have trouble navigating it and other people do too, because sometimes what comes out of my mouth is just what is in my head, and it ain't like a I'm not trying to condemn anybody from my heart, because there's enough about me to be condemned when I walk through the door. But like, when is it okay to laugh? I mean, or how do we judge the laugh? Or when do we say it's okay to laugh? Or like when can we be jovial or when can we say stuff in jest? Or is it that we can only do it in certain environments? Because respectfully, I just don't know the rules anymore, and I don't know if I'm the only one who feels that way.
Speaker 1: I feel that way. Yeah, I think if it's at someone's offense or expense rather and they're offended by it, I do question sometimes so I am intentional if I said something and I'm meant it to be offensive, you know, if I cause somebody a white supremacist and they offended by it, like, well, tough, I meant it to be that way.
Speaker 4: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm navigating because something else. I'm gonna navigate this carefully. There is also a lot around gender that I'm navigating. My friends have kids who you know, are of a different generation, and if I say he and the person doesn't identify as he, like, I get pummeled by these twenty somethings you know, or like that is not blool, you know, And it's like, give me a little grace because I'm learning it doesn't cost me anything to address you as how you want to be addressed. But give me a little grace. I'm trying to navigate this space. So I hear you, Bakari. I mean, I definitely think I'm misstep and I definitely think I've stepped in it and said things that are offensive to someone. My typical attitude is if I offended you, and it wasn't my intention to just apologize and try to course correct. So I don't know. I'm trying. I think we're all trying to figure it out as we got.
Speaker 2: The worst mouth of us all, and I want to hear her response to that, how you navigate with you?
Speaker 1: I got the worst of what the bad mouth, he said, I have the worst mouth. I don't know that that's true always, but I don't know. I think you know what I think. I grew up I was very very close to my dad's dad, to Gramps, and I grew up playing Domino's with my dad and Gramps, and so I learned to be quick witted with them, you know, just in game plan. And then both of my grandfathers were like consummate jokers, and I really I didn't even like my mom's dad. I was like this dude, I don't like him. He always teased me about something. But I really don't think I developed thick skin until after the sixth grade. We had a whole podcast about it. So I won't relitigate that, but I will say it was a means of survival and it was a defense mechanism. But also it was funny like we, I mean, we used to we joked about is you know somebody sneakers? You know, you know what you got on today? Or did you get dressed in the dark, or like you know, I mean it just I mean, that's what we do. Is it at somebody's expense? Sure? But also when is that acceptable? And I do think we spend a lot of time nowadays deepening into cancel culture in ways that are not healthy. Like you're constantly walking around on eggshells, to the point where you may have a thought you're afraid to express, and because you're afraid to express the thing, you don't get to grow, because you know what I'm saying, Like there's something about that where you know you're so filtered and so concerned about making sure you don't offend that you don't give yourself permission to grow. So I do like the idea when you said tip about giving grace, please give us grace, because I'm definitely confused about all of the aspects of gender that exist now not being you know, not being binary, and how you want to be referred to. It's the pronouns will be, he, she, they, them, and you're going to do all of them. And I'm you're supposed to expect So are you telling me all of them are okay? I'm supposed to know in which sentence, which one to use. That is very confusing. I'm not doing it. I'll just call you your name. Hopefully you're fine with that today, and even that sometimes changes. So that is stressful and frustrating because I do want to get it right, but you know, what can we do? Got to keep.
Speaker 7: Trying, Pace pace Pace.
Speaker 8: Shout out to the Native Land Pod family, thank you for welcoming us all home. This is Jim from thirty three to content has been on fire recently and we're loving the content. How you take a kid the community, We really appreciate it. My question is for Tiffany made a various points on last week's excellent show about folks expanding their news diet and consuming different forms of media so you could get a wide array of perspectives on topics that you may be interested in, and I'm curious to you personally. Where do you go for your daily downloads of news, national news, where do you go for your downloads of international news? And what else might you be reading leisurely. That's something that folks might want to hear about.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 7: I love that.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the question. So I am still a Times reader. I talk a lot of shit about The Times, but I do read the Times. I think their political coverage is often garbage, but their global coverage is actually really good. When you read the business section, the technology section, it often spans the globe. I love it. There's also Reuters, they have great global news ap NPR. Al Jazeera has great coverage in terms of print media. In terms of what I watch BBC also Al Jazeera if you have the app on your smart TV. Al Jazeera does great coverage. Frontline does amazing coverage. I would. I mean, I'm just it concerns me so much when people are getting their news off social media. I just want to push back on that a little bit, because often it's something that's clipped, it's not the full context, it's and your own the algorithm is feeding you something and so very often people will see something for thirty seconds or spend you know, ten minutes reading something and think that they have a wide scope of understanding, and it just ain't it. I've heard people talk about things that are happening on a global scale that they would have more understanding and context, that they made a habit of consuming these things lately, and I've even done that. I have read something and tried to rush through it and said something that didn't make sense or that other people will tell me like you were way off base on that, or you you know, here's another perspective that you didn't have. So I would just encouraged having a very wide diet. Oh in the Atlantic, How can I forget the Atlantic? The Atlantic is definitely the Atlantic. The New Yorker and the Economists, those are great for think pieces, but also just really quickly. I am also on the email list for almost every think tank, so every time there's new data, new research that comes out, I get that as well. So sometimes it doesn't even make they get no coverage. He doesn't even make the press, but I'm sure to read it. Okay, I know you got a lot of questions so quick.
Speaker 2: The only the only misstatement I want to correct is that Philip Lewis on Twitter is a phenomenal follow. Yes, and he he gets real news from all over the place. But I hope my guy listens to and and and subscribe to his local newspaper. I'm a big fan of local journalism. I think the stories that we hear from journalism, from local journalists are are the best, not not. Your local news is okay, like the TV news, but I'm really talking about your print papers, because your print papers usually have seasoned reporters that can dive in depth on stories that move your community and your culture. Unfortunately, we're starting to see too much mainstream influence on our local news stations TV news stations, which drives me crazy. And the last thing is I mean, if you want to get the best news you possibly can, you should tune in the seeing it.
Speaker 1: They didn't pay for that, damn bad.
Speaker 2: I don't care if I pay you or not.
Speaker 1: This is not this is not your podcast, this is n LP. They gotta pay for that. They got a new digital platform with a new digital budget. I'll cut that in right out of here.
Speaker 5: Next question, Hi, my name is a real from the Bronx.
Speaker 6: This message is for Tiffany. Yoah, Tiffany, let me tell you something. I love your sister, but let me tell you something. Sometimes you cannot be like I think you are so sensitive.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 6: You cannot debate only people that you think is that your ever you understand, because sometimes the people that you think is not at your lever is the people that other people is listening to and getting their information from. So I would suggest that y'all looking to getting other people with different mind frame on your platform, because at the end of the day, those are the people that you have a lot of people out here listening to. So I would say, open the mind and open it to different you know people.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you Aurel for that question. I'm glad we got that question actually, because I think we all disagree on this, and I respectfully disagree with Orel. So I don't know what he means by on my level because I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever said I want to date someone or debate some on Freudian slip. I don't think I've ever said I wanted to I don't want to debate them on my level. I don't even know what that means. But what I have said is I think the example I gave if we have a disagreement on school choice, you know, you may feel one way, I may feel another. Sure, if there is a desire for me to debate there, okay, great, let's have that. But if your position is rooted in my oppression or rooted in a lack of humanity, for me, I do not owe my time or my space to that person, not even in service to you or l respectfully, I don't think that is a valuable use of time. I would never dream to tell somebody else who they should debate and who they should have on their platform, or how they should use their time. I'm saying for me, I don't choose to do that. I don't choose to sit across from a white supremacist and debate my humanity. I think that is part of the erosion of our society that has led us to this space of giving the microphone to people who haven't earned it and considering hate speech of policy position. That's just not something I want to do. But I want to be really clear, I don't know what you mean by on my level, because I'm sure people have debated me and I wasn't quote unquote on their level. In this week's podcast, we had Ellie mistaal so you had Ellie, Angela and Bakari talking about things that quite frankly, I'm trying to follow, but some of it went over my head. If they said, well, you can't weigh in because it's not on your level, you know that. I don't think that's a healthy exchange either. I enjoyed listening and learning, so yeah, I don't. I don't look at like if you're not on my level that we can't debate. But I invite you, Rrella, if you feel that way that strongly, I invite you by all means debate people the white supremacists who are around their plentful and always looking for somebody to debate. But no, sir, I don't think that's a good use of my time. But I do thank you for the question. And I would also push back on this idea of me being sensitive. You don't know me or real I don't think I'm.
Speaker 2: You ain't sensitive you except when it comes to dogs. But let me plan a seed for a conversation that I want to have with both the all as we go forward because I think what Oriel was trying to say, and I think that you all get this more often than not, is that there is a perception that Angela Rai and Tiffany Cross can be intimidating because of how beautiful they are and how intellectual they are and the fact that they stand in it and know it. And so how do you navigate that or how do you deal with people who feel intimidated when they're in your presence, particularly as a black woman. Maybe that's another.
Speaker 1: Pot You don't get that from morel that didn't get that from a real I will say, I think it's amazing that we got three very different things from what Aroh was saying. I took from that the conversation around Joe Budden's podcast and the idea about intellectualism. The part that I think or maybe didn't hear is that you're intellectually curious. You don't consider yourself an intellectual. I believe he was saying he considers you an intellectual. And if you're an intellectual, and these other people who have opinions and are driving culture and driving conversation and have large platforms are not considered intellectual. But you won't have an exchange change with them. Where does that leave the culture? And I think that is a conversation we need to continue to have. Tiff has never said those conversations shouldn't happen. She said that's not her particular ministry. And we've you know, bifurcated whose ministry it is on the show. So, Arel, I hope you'll continue listening and continuing to challenge us. Keep sitting in your ideas, your questions, your thoughts. We love all of them. Make sure as they do it. Oh, I'm just gonna finish this one point. Is they gonna say on Joe Budden's podcast, not too much on Tiff though. Okay, so it's all good. She's not sensitive. She can, of course, she can be the cheese standing alone, and she could definitely hold her own. But I just want to make sure we don't engage in apollo. So we appreciate the love and encouragement to Tiff, appreciate the challenge, and we appreciate the opportunity to give her the Florida respond go ahead, tip, Yeah, I thank you. We should have let you respond first, because I did not get that from what he was saying at all. So my bad brother around all three of us definitely took something different. So to that point, now I understand better what you were saying. Of my apology for misunderstanding your point. So again I would push back on that. I have never said I would not debate someone on my level. The point I was making around the Joe Budden podcast, using them as an example, is if you are insulting me for my intellect, I'm saying I cannot fill a cup that's already full. So if I'm telling you something and you're not receptive, you're not interested in what I have to say, and you're being insulting, which I have had those type of exchanges with people, I'm saying that is not a conversation I choose to participate in. Again, I don't litigate what somebody else should participate in. I'm saying for me, if someone says, no, you should come on here and talk to us, my response is simply and respectfully, get somebody else to do it. That's not for me, but I'm happy to go into spaces that speak to the culture. I don't believe speaking to the culture. I think that's something that I would say white liberals do or black people who don't have a more what I would call an more authentic black ex experience. Tavis Smiley said that what did he say the biggest problems with Black America was crack cocaine and the IVY League. And I never really understood what he meant by that until I started working with a bunch of black people who went to an IVY League. And they think appealing to black people and the black culture is appealing to the lowest common denominator, the most ignorant among us. And I don't believe that. I think there's somebody who should go in those spaces and preach the gospel and help inform just like people help inform me every single day. There are many things I don't know. You could feel what I know in a thimble. There are so many things I don't know. But I definitely don't choose to to go in certain spaces that I feel are disrespectful. I mean I could, I could go on, but I won't put myself in an environment that I deem disrespectful to me personally, or disrespectful to women, or disrespectful to black people or the culture. Sorry, fund were you have three different takes, three completely different takes, but that's the importance of having, you know, diversity of voices and thought on your pod, So we appreciate you all for sharing your diversity of thoughts and opinions on our pod. We'll make sure that we urge you a roll to go back and listen to the shows We've talked about this ad nauseum, so we encourage you to go listen to some of those shows. Thank you all for tuning into this mini pod. It was an ass Tiffany, so let's name it accordingly. We will talk to you all soon. Enjoy the holidays. We'll be back with you next week.
Speaker 2: Welcome home, y'all, Love y'all, Welcome home.
Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Reison Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.