Speaker 1: The media, Woman life Freedom. Such was the slogan of the women's movement considered key to the project of the Democratic Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria, also known as Rajava. Though originating in the Kurdish liberation struggle, the project quickly became polyethnic. There are Syrians, Arabs, Armenians, Czds, and other groups involved in that project, and in fact, the internationally recognized name Rajava has fallen out of use by the project's administration in an effort to de ethnicize the project. I'm going to keep using Rajava simply because it's quicker to say than DAA n ees, or than yes or any other combination, but just wanted to put that disclaimer out in the beginning. So in the midst the Syrian Civil War, the region gained its de facto autonomy in twenty twelve and pursued a somewhat unique political experiment for crassroots governance and social legal reforms that have attracted significant international fever and support. Do not recognize internationally as autonomous, except by the Catalan Parliament for obvious reasons. For the past decade plus, the people in the region have fought fastly for independence from Isis patriarchy, Turkish incursions, and other Syrian opposition groups, but recent events led to the newly minted Assyrian government having seriously jeopardized the autonomy of the project. Welcome, take it happen here. I'm Andrew Sage, also Androism on YouTube, and I'm joined once again. It's me, It's James, Yes, and I had to talk to you about this because I know that you have contacts there, you have experience with that project, with the people involved, And yeah, we're here to discuss the fate of Rajavo.
Speaker 2: I'm always excited to talk about Rajava, and I think it's super important that we talk about it right now. Like, yeah, there's a lot of bad stuff happening currently, but this is really bad. Like in Rejava, we had the opportunity to see people living without gods or masters, people building democracy without the state. We had the opportunity to and we have the opportunity right So Rashava is not gone. But like anarchism didn't have to be like an ideological construct that only exists in our little punk hows it's it existed in it in an area where millions.
Speaker 1: Of people lived.
Speaker 2: And yet so we should talk about how we can be in solidarity with them in this very difficult time right right.
Speaker 1: In fact, as we're on that topic, I think it's useful to have a brief explanation of the history and ideology behind the Java project before we talk about what's happened most recently. Yeah, So, in brief, the project really began into a Kyo Kurdistan Worker's Party or PKK, was banned and some of its supporters moved to Syria and founded the Democratic Union Party or PYD. Now this party shared an ideological foundation with the PKK and its founder, Abdullah Chilan, with the ideology of democratic confederalism which Alex s Bain in a sacred Rajava came into be in following the Arab Spring of twenty eleven, as various factions of Syrians rose up against President Bashar al Assad, and in such a climate of conflict, ISIS rose to prominence to threaten the region as whole. So while Asad was dealing with other opposition groups in Damascus, he withdrew forces from North Syria, which left the region vulnerable to ISIS and to key Kurdish groups in North Syria then formed the Kurdish National Council to secure the area, but after an ideological split, the project of Rajava would emerge as a polyethnic polity composed of the cantons of Afrin, Jazira, and Kubani. The PID operates Java within a political coalition called the Syrian Democratic Council or SDC. The YPG or People's Defense Units and the YPG or Women's Defense Units are the paramilitaries forming the bulk of the political assemblies and military coalership, which is called the Syrian Democratic Forces or SDF. I know, it's a lot of acronyms being thrown at you at once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an alphabet too. I think until relatively recently, the bulk of the sdf's forces were Arab. You have ideological groups that are allied, right, the Northern Democratic Front a ji shell for war at one point, and then you have these groups which are more tribally based, and those groups had allied to the SDF to fight the Islamic State, right, Yes, yeah, they always want to push back on it being a majority that it's now, but that's that's that's the creation of the last eight weeks.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, I remember reading that they were the YPGYPG were forming a good chunk of the SDF. I suppose that was more recent information that I had seen.
Speaker 2: Then, Yeah, I think it would have been or like you will see that published in broadsheet newspapers and have done for decades.
Speaker 1: Like it just wrong.
Speaker 2: But there was this tendency in the I guess the Western press, right, And some of this is somewhat orientalist in a way, Like they referred to the SDF as the Kurds because Kurds were somehow seen as closer to European people than Arabs, and like it attempted to sort of I guess, to make it more palatable to an audience.
Speaker 1: Right, a kind of a racial ekin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think the friends, we can talk about friends versus whatever else. Slater but would push back on that. They would tell you that SDF was majority Arabs certainly at the time it forought the Islamic state, and of course there were Assyrians and Armenians and your CDs and international volunteers as well.
Speaker 1: For sure, for sure. So you had these cirind Democratic Consuls or the SDC, led primarily by THEPID right. They were taken on the task of both fights in the Islamists while engaged in an ideological project to bring democratic confederalism into practice in North Syria. So democratic confederalism is a transitional political movement that tries to move beyond the nation state by refusing to seize state power. Instead of organizing society through the state, they seek to organize society through local assemblies that manage their own affairs while coordinating action through confederation. Democratic and federalism emphasizes pluralism over nationalism, secularism over religious government, and restorative justice, gender liberation, ecological sustainability, cooperative and communal economic forms. Democratic and feralism was seen as seen as a pragmatic way of building collective self organization within the purview of the existing dominant state model of the world, while gradually undermining its authority. Now, the gender liberation component in particular has received a lot of international attention thanks to the pid's efforts to put it into practice. They established gender parity quotas in all administrative, political and decision making bodies and leadership roles. They established women's councils address women's issues. They established the Women's Protection Units or YPG, which is an all female army which is very popular and they established laws to ban honor killings and child marriage, while strengthening the divorce rights of women. So these efforts and others within Rajava have guardered worldwide admiration for the project, and many international volunteers have visited Rajava to help them fight. And if you're in a lot of online anarchist circles, you've probably heard a lot about Rajava and solidarity with deliberation. But I think it has created a misconception that the solidarity that anarchists feel with for Java is equivalent to one to one ideological alignment. Yeah. Right, what they're doing is not anarchism, it's kind of its own thing. It's Democrats Confederate the film. Yeah, and this has been a band that in solid to the people, of course, but it just means, you know, being clear that we are fighting for a will in which many rules exist. Yeah, and so are they, and we are just willing to stand with and observe that project and you know, wish for the best and hope for the best and see what comes of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are anarchist formations within the SDF right Techosy analyses. It means anarchists struggle. It's it's like a more doctrinally anarchist formation. And like the way that they would phrase their like participation is that they are there in solidarity, right and like you say, we want a world where many worlds can exist, and so they can offer and they if you go to Rija, people will ask you to offer feedback right at the Curtish words technical report of feedback. They are willing to hear an anarchist critique and engage with it. That doesn't mean that they are anarchists, but it doesn't mean that they are opposed to anarchists either.
Speaker 1: They're more willing to engage with anarchism than most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then almost anywhere else I have been in the world, maybe aside from Myanmar, but yeah, they will engage with and have these discussions. And they're on an ideological journey, right. The movement began within what they would call the nation state paradigm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the PKK was originally Marxist.
Speaker 2: Lend and oger land thinking has very much been like his journey has led the movement on a political philosophy journey, I guess. And there are different interpretations of different movements in different parts of Kurdistan that draw on his political philosophy, but as his thinking while he was detained in Turkey moved towards this democratic confederalist outlook, influenced about reading Married Book Chain, among others, the movement also moved, and I think it was very well placed when the statist state withdrew to try and implement this like like you've mentioned right self government, the brotherhood of people's all these things, but it wasn't always there, and it has been willing to change and willing to move it to ideology over time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean that's the thing. We want to look at people and projects and judge based on where we are in our position and our ideological alignment. Because none of us necessarily started off as anarchists, right and while we may wish that as an anarchist, I would wish that, you know, these projects would move closer to anarchy and would pursue and explore an experiment with that ideal, and that idea. Everybody's on their own journey, and you know, at this stage in capitalist global domina and status global dominance, we have to let whatever experiments exist or explore the different angles. You know, there's not one right way quite yet or they may never be you know. As one on the topic of disclaimers, I suppose I think it is important to address that, you know, the SDF is not all sunshine and ruses. You know, there have been allegations of war crimes, including the recruitment of children, and the allegations are forced to target a displacement. Now, not all of these allegations have been conclusively verified, and there are a lot of actors have been involved in Syria over the years that are pushed in narratives and commuted narratives that have to be scrutinized on a case by case basis. Some of the war crime allegations, for example, have been made by Turkey, which is pretty suspect considering their track record of both hostility towards Rajava and the Kiddish Autonomy, and also their practice of war crimes on a semi regular basis themselves. You know. Yeah, but still hypocrisy has said, I think it is important to not turn a blind eye to these kinds of problems and allegations when they are made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agreed, Like, if people are being compelled to do things through violence, that is what the state is right and that is what we want to stop. And so if that is happening, then we should condemn it, right, be that where they're being compelled to fight or compelled to leave their homes, like that is a thing that we are opposed to inherently, right, and it doesn't matter who's doing it is the action itself is something that we are opposed to. And yeah, we should again, like we should look at this like not through like rose To. I know talk a lot about this, but I translated a piece from French a couple of years ago from an anarchist who had fought in Spain, and it's called Refuting the Legend, and the main thesis of the piece was that we should engage with the Spanish civil wars. It was not as we wished it to be, Yeah, and that way we could learn from it and get better as opposed to just create in a hagiography and like a you know, like saints' lives exactly the same applies here, I.
Speaker 1: Think, yeah, because the ferments have been you know, few and far between. Unfortunately the major experiments, that is, the massive ones, the ones that make historical headlines. And I think there is a temptation to as you say in constructor a hagiography to glorify and venerate these these attempts, I think it's very important for us we to treat them. It's scrutiny, you know, to hould them up to certain standards, and to evaluate their missteps and to highlight their missteps even more than we highlight this successes, because I see only way we're going to succeed in the future. So if we're willing to address and engage with those mystiques.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I think on that point, the way that I see what's happening Jabre is not in a monolithic way. Their tendencies and organizations within the revolution, right, there are some who are probably operating in a paradigm that is not that far from the like ethno nationalist or kind of nationalist Marxist paradigm. There are some that are operating closer to an anarchist paradigm. There are some who are somewhere in between those two things, right, And there are some who would just want the Islamic state or the New Syrian State or the Assadis state to go away and leave them alone. And that's why they picked up arms, and that's what they're fighting for and like, yeah, again, right, we shouldn't we should be suspicious of a movement which is entirely homogeneous. We should be concerned, but I have concerns about the way some dissenting voices have been treated in the A and E s in the past year. We should raise those concerns. But like, it would be inaccurate to view this movement as a monolith.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And that's the thing it's important to is concerned. It's it's sad that this phrase has been masterdized because it's a useful freeze, right, that is, you know, critical support, yeah, or critical solidarity. It's been taken by certain Internet actors too, you know, to propagate apology for atrocities and the raisure of state violence. But it is a useful way of I think freemen. The way we should engage these projects. That solidarity doesn't imply that you keep them out shut, that you don't seek to learn, that you don't respectfully criticize. That is, I think the best way to engage these projects not to you know, close their eyes and just follow absolutely. Getting back to I suppose what's been happening more recently, things have not been easy for the movement really since the beginning into A twelve, it has for a long time been caught in a web of conflicting and conversion interests. In addition to fightin Issis and other Jiadist groups, Rajava managed to receive back in from the US out of a coincidence of interests and tactical necessity, as I would put it, which is confused in some circles of the idea that Rajava is a US designed puppet through and through right. So after the SDF liberated Raka, they began taking more heat from Turkey, which saw the YPG as inseparable from the PKK and thus a threat under the YPG is the defensive army the protective services rather and the PKK is the Kurdish party in Turkey, so they launched several military operations to prevent the Kurdish regions from linking up and having territorial continuity within Syria. At the same time, Rojava faced economic blockades, restricted movement, and strained relations with their fellow Kurdish political groups in Iraq that were aligned with two and aligned with the Pyid's political rivals, which had lost influence since the establishment of Rajava. Then you also had the occasional alignments with Russia as a strategic leverage against Tiki, and similar coincidences of interest with the governments of Iraq and Iran, and even cooperation between Rojava and a SAD government. It's interesting to me that the US alignment is what receives the most attention when it seems to me the Rajava had quite a roster of affiliations of convenience. Not to say that those partnerships or affiliations necessarily benefit them in the long run, but it's important to place those affiliations in context. Rajava has been seen and treated as a chess piece essentially by both global and regional powers as they attempt to put out a voice of their own and equaled their own autonomy. So, just before the twenty nineteen took his invasion, the US abandoned Rajava entirely, withdrawing it troops and suddenly leading into the tragic fall of several settlements to Turkey and Tiggish aligned groups. Whether that moved with a draw orlso raised the international profile of the Java struggle, as people on both sides the book spectrum were pointing out this American decision to abandon its allies in the Middle East. So, before we get to the fall of us AD, is there anything critical did you say I missed?
Speaker 2: I do a pretty good smorary. I've written, literally writen a book about this, so I like, there's always things I want to say. I was during a time when Turkey was bombing, right, in addition to going to report on them, I just saw places as I was going about my day to day life that had been bombed the night before.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I think there's this misapprehension that America is by America. I'm a musing it correctly. The United States is allied with the PYD. That's not the case. The SDF was the US partner force, specifically in what's called Operation Inherent Resolve, which is the operation against the Islamic State. Right while I was there, the US shot down a Turkish drone because it flew too close to their bases. They also didn't shoot down the dozens of other Turkish drones that killed little children while I was there, right, And I don't think anyone would reasonably expect them to because US was not there in solidarity with the revolution. It was there fighting alongside them in this one specific thing. And while that doesn't take away the fact that it is disgraceful to abandon these people who gave ten thousand plus of their children alongside the United States, right, that is shameful. It is also what we should expect from the United States people that use the word haval, which means friend, as opposed to like the way a Marxist movement might use comra. The friends there understood the terms of their agreement with the US, doesn't mean that they were not disappointed. Doesn't mean that they would not ask for assistance when their children are dying. Of course it would, but those that are terms on which the US was allied with them, and certainly the US did not ideologically influence them. Perhaps the opposite is the case. There are certainly some people in the US military who went over there and came back seeing the world differently. Turkey actually called the US government because some of the US soldiers who were wearing abdulahill on patches at one point and raised complaints about it. But yeah, I think it's important to understand the terms of the arrangement between them. Otherwise I think that's a pretty good praisie of the way things were. Do you have anything about Shengal?
Speaker 1: No, I don't.
Speaker 2: I'll do my potted. People can read my book if they'd like to hear more about its operation. I've sent one to you Andrew. Hopefully it's making its way across the ocean. What so Shengal the sacred mountain of the Ads. The Azds or a group of people and their religious group whose religion is probably closest to Zoroastrianism. They have like a peacock angel. The Islamic state targeted the Azds because it considered them to be apostates, and it subjected them to genocidal violence. Right, this is the Uzdi genocide. The states of the world largely abandoned the Azdi people. They tried to defend their communities, but they were overwhelmed by the Islamic State and they gradually fell back to Shengol, which is their mountain, and they went to the top of their mountain to make their last stand. I guess right, that was their place where they had always gone back to. And there were some US special forces on the mountain, and from what I understand also some British special forces. But it was the friends from Kurdistan who decided to go. It should be noted that they're like fighting the Islamic state at home at this time, right their own villages, their own towns, are being subjected to the same violence. They went onto the mountain and they built humanitarian corridor to extract the Azdi people right with their bodies, with their blood, And if they had done nothing else since twenty twelve, that would be reason enough for us to stand in solidarity with them. Right like in that moment when the world letting the Azdis die, right when Obama and the United Kingdom and everything else was letting these people be subjected to genocide. It wasn't a military superpower who went to their assistance. Who wasn't the French or the British or anyone else who was willing to risk Again, there were small numbers of special forces, but it was regular folks from Curtis down with kalashnikovs who went to save them. And I think at this time when Western analysts, who perhaps either don't have a proper grasp of what's happening in Syria or do and are just willing to lie about it, are condemning the a and Ees as some kind of kurdisheth and a nationalist project. We can point to this and we shouldn't forget the sacrifice that those people made at that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an important event that I didn't come across my research, but thank you for sharing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: So I suppose we are now approaching the critical moment in Rajawa's recent history. Asad's government collapsed at the end of twenty twenty four and the Hayat terrier al Sham or HDS and Islamist militia with roots in al Qaeda, stepped into the vacuum and rapidly took control of large parts of the country. Then HDS leader Ahmed al Shara was recast on the international stage as Syria's new president, welcomed by regional and western powers, received and diplomatic capitals, and rewarded with the lifting of many sanctions. TAKEI emerged as his strongest backer, as they were pretty cooled with a Sad and the aggressively lobbied on behalf of the HGS government, reframing it as a stabilizing partner, and not long after the fall of a Sadd, in fact, after the Uchland himself called for the PKK to this arm The SDF, which is only loosely affiliated with the PKK, though said well you know not us, we will continue to find. So Western governments, particularly the United States and its allies, appeared willing to accept this transformation of the SGS. The calculators that are fragmented and internally weak authority could be more easily stared to serve their long term geopolitical interests. So the HDS and government had a little press tour, but within Syria they moved pretty predictably, engaging in violent for pressure and displacement and massacre of the Alawhite, the Druze and the Kiddish communities in Syria, and for the Kurdish initiated the project of Rajava. The rise of the HDS government would mark the beginning of an end greater isolation and a you'd pressure from within and outside of Syrious borders. After consolidating power, the HTS government pushed into the Kurdish regions and encircled Kobani, the historic border city that once symbolized resistance to ISIS. So for days, coordinated attacks targeted Rajaba itself, threatening not only the survival of Kurdish olv government, but the lives of hundreds of thousands of civilians as food, water and electricity would deliberately cut off and the city placed under siege. The violence had been especially devastating in Aleppo. From early January, the Kurdish districts of shikh Maksud and Ashrafia became the focus of sustained assaults by Turkish backed militias and units aligned with the Syrian Transitional Government.
Speaker 2: They would tell you that shik Maksud was a diverse district and I'd probably used to describe it as Kurdish as well, but there they will point out that is CD people and a lot of the indigenous Christian peoples of the region who lived in a Leppo tended to live in shik MAXs food as.
Speaker 1: Well, right, right, Okay, thanks for that context. Yeah, of course. So civilian infrastructure was systematically hit, at homes, schools, mosques and public buildings being shelled, while abductions, torture and executions reported near medical facilities. The bombing of Zalid Fekir Hospital devastated the local health care system and with mountain casualties and entire neighborhoods emptied. Local councils in the SDF agreed to a cease fire and withdrawal on the eleventh of January twenty twenty six to allow evacuations. More than three hundred thousand people fled, many seeking refuge in areas still controlled by the Autonomous Administration, but fighting expanded eastward. Jihada's forces began targeting Raka, the ares Azol Hassaka, and critical infrastructure like the Tissrian Dam. Prisons holding thousands of Jihada's detanees were located in these areas, and amid the chaos, Islamist fighters escaped. ISIS symbols reappaired, and memorials to Kurdish fighters were destroyed.
Speaker 2: There's one example which I think is particularly revelatory. It was consistently cast once again by like think tankers who either know that they're talking speaking things that aren't true. I was going to say something else there, or they just don't know and they're being paid to pretend they know. But though the one in Tubka that was destroyed, it was a statue of a YPG fighter, but she was an Arab. It was portrayed as like local people celebrating their liberation from the SDF, but it was a whole group of men destroying a statue of a woman, a woman from that community who had fought to liberate that community from the Islamic state, right, And I think that like, when that context is deliberately excluded, that tells us an awful lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's an extremely critical point, I think. Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: As the Syrian forces pushed further east, some non Kurdish villages in the region affected from Rajava to New Syria and government.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mostly in Ligderis or, right, which is an area where you have this longstanding. They're referred to as tribal communities like that. I guess that's a fine phrase, but sometimes the word tribal, I think is used in a derogatory way in the West. So I want to be clear that's not what I tend to mean here, just that they have a different form of political organizing, right of course, And like there had not been among those communities buy in, I guess to the AA and S project. There was to the SDF as a military force, but not not so much to the project. And it was those communities that switch their allegiances.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: This happened even in Aleppo, and then we can look at various economic and political and social reasons for that, and maybe at some point we should, but I don't think like now it's the time, that's you know, we're concerned with ongoing struggle there. But yeah, especially in derris Or, what really saw of the SDF frontline crumble was the people who were in the SDF suddenly became allied with the STDT, Sian Transitional Government, Syrian government right.
Speaker 1: Right, and so these defections and with this onslaught of violence, delivered an ultimatum to the goods and to the other groups involved in the automous administration South Easyria was the dissolve the SDF and submit to incorporation under his command office and iriation. So in response, the SDF commander mass loom Abdi appealed outwill, calling on the support of anyone who an't be willing to assist. And this is something that particularly made headlines, anyone included Israel, which had previously intervened in Syria for the claim justification of aiding the Jurwis community. I think the way that question was paused to the SDF commander was definitely leading, like they were fishing for headline for sure from what I saw of that exchange, But in the context of the Palestinian genocide and the worlds awareness of their genocide, I think that even with that desperation for survival in mind, that statement was I think a misstep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we constantly see like this allegation that the SDS specifically is like some kind of Zionists force or funded by Israel. That's been around for decades. Right, I will say a couple of things. First of all, in the early Kurdish freedom movement, you know, Kurds died for Palestine right with the Democratic Friends for Liberation of Palestine at Bofort Castle. If the Israelis were genuinely allies of the Kurds, no one would dare touch them. We have seen what Israel is prepared to do to Muslim countries. They don't need much excuse. They would do the same in Syria. Furthermore, Israel has continued to invade Syria and has held Syrian territory for decades and has continued to take more of it under Olshara, and al Shara has not done anything about it. So I find the idea that he's like eliminating zion is going to be very frustrating when the IDAFA statory inside his country invading it, and the Kurdish Freedom Movement as a whole has been pretty forthright about the genocide. So on October seventh, twenty twenty three, I was in Kurdistan and we watched what happened first in Israel and then in Palestine Ray and they were pretty forthright about that no one should be killing civilians. And as the genocide in Gaza began, they were forthright about calling it a genocide. And I think they didn't have to. No one was particularly asking them in twenty twenty three, right, and they did, and they made statements about it. And like, I think seeing them as somehow ideologically inclined towards Israel when the it largely was in Israel who was fighting the Islamic state, right, it was largely them in the US. But I think it's just people understanding the politics of the Middle East in terms of Marvel movies that they can only be two sides. And like, I'm sure at the time when they were facing genocide themselves, they would have welcomed any support, but that doesn't mean that they support the murder of civilians in Gaza. They have been extremely clear about that for an extremely long time.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I don't think I should be called into the question just because of the statement of one commando. Yeah. So, after much fighting, the SDF signed akreebnce relinquish and control of Arraka, dares Azor and remain in territory west of the Euphrates written and only Hassaka and Kobani after withdrawing from the Tishrin. But even after conceder in so much, government forces violated ceasefire terms, so the SDF declared general mobilization across the Kurdish regions of Syria and neighboring states as a last desperate attempt to rally resistance. By the end of January, the Autonomous Administration had lost roughly eighty percent of the territory it once governed. The SDF was forced to retreat almost entirely into Hassaka Governorate, and on the thirtieth of January, the SDF formally announced a cease fire with the Syrian government and accepted a framework for folding both their military structures and civilian administration into the Syrian state. Syrian authorities set timelines on this agreement within a month They would retake control of water crossings, oil and gas infrastructure like Crimelane, and also Wadi detention camps holding ISIS members and their families, and strategic sites such as Kamishli International Airport. Interior Ministry units were scheduled to deploy to Hassaka and Commissili almost immediately, and Syrian security forces will oversee the absorption of the Kurdish internal security apparatus the SAISH, into the state's police and structures. Militarily, the SDF estates be absorbed under the Syrian Ministry of Defense, but on an individual vetted basis. Up to now, the fate of the female fighters and non Syrian fighters within the SDF is unknown, and on the civilian side of things, the institutions created by the Rajarfa administration are to be absorbed as well. Kurdish officials have thus far secured the governorship of Hasaka and limited commander rules within the military. In exchange for their surrender, the Kurs gained some recognitions on people, The government claims to a firm national civil and educational rights, promised the return of displaced populations, and issued decrees recognizing Kurdish as a national language. Taught in schools, declared the Kurdish celebration of Nauru's public body, and reversed decades all citizenship policies that shripped tens of thousands of goods of their citizenship. Thus far, most of these promises are on people.
Speaker 2: As I said, Yeah, I think they'd see it as like a rebranding, not a surrender, as an agreement. Like from what I understand, the epigates still see themselves as the WIPEPG, still see themselves as the WIPPG, the WYPG very much still see themselves as the Women's Defense Force, and so like as you say, like, all of this is a paper agreement currently and we will see how I mean, there are now Syrian Ministry of Interior forces in Hesseka and in Comichhlo, but like some of that has come to bus. But what this means. Talking to my friends, they're like, we will continue to see exactly, like what the extent they still have autonomy and to what extent they are integrated into a state which has in some instances banned women from wearing makeup for instance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So the US and franz CO signed disagreement and pledged oversea its implementation, and the president of the Kurdistan Regional Government in Iraq has also welcome disagreement, but it still remains to be seen what happens next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did see a hundred people who are non Syrian Kurds. I would imagine they would mostly be Turkish from northern Kurdistan had withdrawn from Syria and gaunt Candial, which is kind of the stronghold of the various other parts of the Kurdish freedom movement, and so that that's in southern Kurdistan or Iraq, it's near the border with Iran. But I saw that a number of them had withdrawn post disagreement. That was probably on the tenth of February somewhere around there.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, sadly, this is an outcome of the imperialist world order that empires and regional actors will crush any threats to their power, will attempt to crush such debts. And as long as such power remains concentrated in these states and militaries and ruling classes, whether they are secular or nationalists, or Islamist or anything else, none of us then be free. Yeah, we could sit around on our armchairs and speculate, but what Moves or Java could have done differently, whether it be failure to advance further, whether it be insufficient integration of and then buying of other groups into the project, whether it be the alliances or agreements or affiliations that they engage in. We can also sit around with litter all the limitations they face, some of they managed to overcome, and there's not so much. But the blame does not lie in their failures to play this game of geopolitical chess as ruthlessly as other powers in the region. I think the blame lies in this game of geopolitical chess, in this ability of imperial powers to treat the people of the region as a whole as tools to be you used and discarded. And the end. I continue to hold to the position that only a shared uprising from below, one that refuses compromise, one that cuts across nationalist lines, has the potential to create a new world, and that fight must happen both within Syria and beyond around the entire earth. The fight is not over in Rajava. I find it hard to believe that a people engaged in such a project would let go of that instinct and that drive toward greater and greater freedom. It remains we seeing what happens with them, but also remains we seeing what happens with us, what we decide to do to push our what's want to be forward. And that's all from me for today or power to all the people. Peace.
Speaker 3: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zone Media, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it Could Happen Here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.