Speaker 1: Sabrina Will Growing up on the West Coast, how often did you actually get to the beach?
Speaker 2: That used to be something, especially in high school. I we would get out of school and go straight to the beach. Oh my god, it's.
Speaker 1: So weird to hear from somebody growing up in the East Coast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean because I also I was on like a dance team right on my at my school, so I got out earlier than a lot of people. You know that during our athletic like period. It was period, our sixth period, and we had practice on like Mondays and Wednesdays. So on Thursday, Friday, you know, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, that's when we would just like as soon as we got out, we would just meet up one person's car, all jump in and hop to the beach, go to It's kind of like that, but now can't stand it. I hate the beach.
Speaker 1: We've talked about thishere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hot. I for the first time took Monroe to the beach by myself with a girlfriend and her daughter and her son, and was like, this is a nightmare, you know, because Monroe can swim, but like she can't really swim very well in like the like I don't. I had to be right there, right and the girls were just going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, and it was like I'm like, this is like the most unenjoyable thing I've ever just because it's so scary the beach, the water, the ocean. And then Shark Week just happened a couple of weeks ago, Like now I'm really freaked out. I like, now it's like my annual of like the ocean is not a safe place, Like no one should be just chilling in the ocean, Like do you.
Speaker 1: Know if Apparently, if a shark comes at you, the best way to defend yourself is with strong language. That's what I've heard.
Speaker 2: It's like, hey, no, there was one show that was like how to Survive a shark attack? And I'm like, well, they say, how you survive you don't go in the ocean.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the other one I heard was which is like, okay, yeah, I'll make sure I do that and think about this all the time. Where you go under the water and then as the shark comes at you, you're supposed to move it, like put your hand on its nose and push it away.
Speaker 2: Yes, like push it away are you kidding?
Speaker 1: Sure that as well.
Speaker 2: As you're not supposed to flail around like that like vibration of what you do in the water, if you start freaking out, attracts them right to you because of their like sensors on their bodies. Let me just start floating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Now, everybody knows the proper thing to do is to cover yourself in seal blood and thrash in the water. Everybody knows that it's like lifting things in a quick jerking motion with your lower back. Everybody knows it's crazy.
Speaker 2: I used to swim in the pool and I would hear the Jaws theme song like in my pool, thinking the Jaws was going to come out of the light that was under my.
Speaker 1: Well, it's better than the Snels give. Remember the old Snls gift from the seventies, the land shark killou. It's like knocking on people's apartment doors. You're that shark. No, ma'am, I'm a dolphin. Exactly. Well, we're talking about this because obviously we're going back to the beach. Anyway. Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn. And go back to a time when now the houses were smart, the waves tsunamis, and the oceans didn't kill you. I'm Wilfred Dell.
Speaker 4: And I'm Sabrina Bryant.
Speaker 1: That we're back at the beach.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: We here at the Magical Rewind never want the heat of summer to cool off, and so this week we're going back in time and back to God keep saying it Wet Side Story with twenty fifteens musicals Equal Team Beach two. Yes, we're gonna be saying Wet Side Story over and over again because we didn't get enough of the clearly porn title the last time we were here. So teen Beach two debut on the Disney Channel June twenty six, twenty fifteen, kicking off Disney's summer programming block, and this marked their first d com sequel in five years. Wow, Sabrina. Just like the first teen Beach movie, we're filming in a very rare location for Disney, Puerto Rico and East Coast adjacent spot with beaches available and the ability to film in some pretty luxurious locations, including the beach House of the Governor, which is impressive. Puerto Rico also had warehouses big enough to replicate the retro surf town, vital to the film's main storyline. And surprisingly, it is the fourth dcom to film in Puerto Rico, so we know teen Beach one and two were there. There's another movie we have yet to recap, called The Princess Protection Program. But what's the fourth? Do you remember the fourth? We reviewed it? Can we come up with another movie that filmed in Puerto Rico?
Speaker 2: Ooh? No, oh, wait, have we we've already reviewed it? Did?
Speaker 5: No? That was?
Speaker 1: Why? Was was the one with that?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: That was based on the show Even Stevens? Was the Even Stephens movie Puerto Rico? Or was that Hawaii?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I think that might be it. That might have been it?
Speaker 6: Wizards, wizards, you call it magicians. You know what, the magicians, the magical people, Wizards, Wizards of Waverley Places.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, there you go. That's the fourth.
Speaker 4: You again, Lisa, thank you.
Speaker 1: You must sit there as we review these movies, knowing very little about them and just cringing because she has all the knowledge. The core cast from the first movie returned, and like some other sequels we've seen, no real new actors joined in at all. I mean, it's a sequel. They didn't throw in anybody new. It's sort of shocking, right, And as a reminder, the sequel was set up in a post credit scene of Teen Beach One, where it appeared the characters from Wet Side Story still saying it the fictitious surf movie inside the movie had transported themselves now to the modern times, which was a flip of the original screen. And yet that does not play into the second movie at all. Really, were you shocked to see that? Don't you remember? They like all came out of the water. Yes, And then when this movie started, I was like, wait, what what.
Speaker 4: Are we rewinding? At some point, like what's going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just forget, But.
Speaker 2: I was wondering if it was I mean, you would think by now, because so when we did The Cheetah Girls and then and High School Musical, I don't even think High School Musical was one of those franchises where they I don't know if forced is the right word, but like they contractually bound them.
Speaker 1: To do multiple, multiple movies.
Speaker 2: So I would think at this point that if they were planning on doing a second one, this would have already kind of like been a done thing. But I don't know when they started doing that. We only know that for sure about Descendants rights.
Speaker 4: I don't think it was for camp Rock either.
Speaker 2: I think it was like, it's another big one high school musical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, zombies.
Speaker 4: We know they were contracted.
Speaker 1: You didn't sign for multiple movies, did you.
Speaker 4: No, they didn't even think are you kidding?
Speaker 2: They had no idea that The Cheetah Girls was gonna like blow up and then we're gonna want to do another one at that point. I don't think besides Johnny Tsunami, they really had very many sequels.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, and we still haven't watched that one an but we will.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, like the first movie, this sequel was a very big success for the channel. It clocked a premiere audience of five point eight million viewers, becoming the most watched d com since the debut of Team Beach One in twenty thirteen, breaking its own record. Pretty impressive. And since it's a musical, you know, we got to talk about the soundtrack. It was released just three days before the premiere and featured all the music from the movie and two songs from outside acts signed to Hollywood Records. The first was starting Over from R five, which is not Adroid in the Star Wars universe, but a band that the star of Teen Beach, Ross Lynch was in with his brother. The other was a track called Rescue Me by a pre superstardom. I'm gonna mispronounce this name, Sabrana Carpenter.
Speaker 4: Sabrina Carpenter.
Speaker 1: Sabrina Carpenter, that's what it is. From a Little Girl Meets World show. She's alright, let's fantasy cast a little here. So being a Carpenter would make a pretty good mac, don't you think.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I thought she would have been good too. Yes, and her whole.
Speaker 2: Like first album like debut song that she put out had a very teen Beachy look like music video. It looks like straight out of Teen Beach for sure. It's and she's adorable in it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like her as a person. She's a total sweetheart. I'm never I'm not sure I've ever heard her music. Maybe if in this song, if it was in this movie, I must have heard it.
Speaker 2: If I ever come out with an album, I'm gonna like come to your house and force you to listen to it. You will not listen.
Speaker 1: Put it on yacht rock or that's the nineties, and I'll know exactly what it is. But other than that, I'm gonna have nothing. If it wasn't if it wasn't Pink Floyd, it wasn't in my house. The soundtrack hit number one on Billboard's Top Soundtracks and peaked at number ten on the US Billboard two hundred and even more accolades for teen Beach two. It got three Teen Choice nominations Best Song from a Movie or TV Show, Choice Summer TV Male Star for Ross Lynch, and Choice Summer TV Female Star for Maya Mitchell. Okay, so after the Team Beach one movie, knowing we had a little sequel easter egg at the end, were you excited to see this movie?
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 4: I loved the first one.
Speaker 2: I loved the music in it, I loved the choreography I remember loving. I was excited because I remember how visual it was like with the surfboards and the you know, they would always make really awesome visual pictures as they were doing their performances. So I was looking forward to it. I love Ross Lynch too, He's absolutely awesome, and he's, in my opinion, like such a star, like he's just he's so uber talented that I was really excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was too. Actually, we both really liked the first Team Beach movie. Yeah. The thing that I liked about it is it was kind of making fun of the musical where she's like singing, doesn't know why she's singing, and how do I know? The dance summer it was great. Yes, it did not take itself seriously. It was it's it knew what it was every step of the way.
Speaker 2: It leaned into the GZ aspect.
Speaker 4: Music.
Speaker 1: A ton of problems. Obviously, there's some story stuff that makes no sense. We're going to get in all that, some things where it's like, what the hell is that?
Speaker 2: So many times like but it was.
Speaker 1: It was confusing and weird. But the performances were great. The music's catchy. It was fun to watch. It was it was what it was so well, join us then, as we're on our way to save the beach and eat some big mamas. So let's hang ten on the synopsis, Brady and Mack reunite after their summer adventure, only to discover the characters from God, I can't say it anymore. Wet Side Story have now mysteriously washed up in their modern day reality. Director Jeff Hornaday returns from part two. He directed the original and has a heavy background in dance. He was a choreographer for Flash Dance For God's Sakes and a ton of other classics like Streets of Fire. Ugh, amazing movie. If you haven't seen it, go see it right now. It is absolutely just the coolest thing ever. And oh man, did I fall in love with her? Anyway? Sorry, I'm off in a little tangent a chorus line. Great movie. Michael Jackson's Captain EO and Dick Tracy, And as far as musicians he's worked with, how about Madonna, Stevie Nicks, Backstreet Boys and Jennifer Lopez no O Biggie. Then, Much like Kenny Ortega, he transitioned into directing with his big break coming in twenty eleven with the John Travolta film Shout. His only other film credit outside of these two Team Beach d coms is another dcom starring Sarah Hiland called geek Charming. So put it on the list, Tara, And when it comes to the cast, Disney had their own ironclad contracts to make sure everyone returns, So I guess they did, so let's kick it off with Ross Lynch. He's back as Brady. He's known to our audience as Austin from the show Austin and Aally and the Disney Channel, but he also played Harvey Kinkel on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and on the other end of the spectrum. He played Jeffrey Dahmer in the movie My Friend Dahmer, so very different roles. He's currently won half of the band The Driver Era alongside his brother Rocky, who were the former members of Our a band that, like I said, you can hear in this movie. And Maya Mitchell returns as Mackenzie or mack. Maya played Calli on the TV show The Fosters, then revisited that role in the spinoff show Good Trouble. She was also recently seen in the horror movie based on a video game Until Dawn. Grace Gillian plays the female lead of the movie. Within the movie, Layla Grace made her film debut in twenty eleven's Fright Night remake and appeared in ten episodes of Vampire Diaries and an episode of Austin and Alley. She also starred in a movie called Murder at the Murder Mystery Party, which I think the title could have been workshoped a bit. And then we've got Garrett Clayton. He's again the lovable male lead Tanner from Wet Side Story who just stole this movie in my opinion, Oh my god, it was so funny.
Speaker 2: But he had me belly laughingly.
Speaker 1: Me too many times, Me too. Garrett is best known as Link from Harrispray Live, as well as from episodes of Shake It Up, Jesse and The Fosters, where I assume he first met Maya, and then fan favorite and friend of the show John de Luca is back as Butchy. John has been seen in a ton of stuff, including Ugly Betty, This Life of the American Teenager, General Hospital, and The American Horror Story or is it just American Horror Story? I've never seen it, but I think it's just American Horror Story? I added the sorry. Also worth noting he was the original Bucky on the failed Disney TV show pilot Zombies and Cheerleaders.
Speaker 4: Which.
Speaker 1: Was later turned into the Zombies movie franchise Something Horribly He's not in. Ever, Throw the guy a role in one of those, because he deserves it. Yes, another return is Chrissy fit our beloved Chee Chee. She's flow and pitch perfect two and three and was wonderful, but also has been seen on General Hospital, the TV version of I Know What You Did Last Summer, and The Aquafina Show. Another fan favorite, Jordan Fisher, is back as Seacat. It is a small part, but he was a Disney regular back in the day, appearing on I Carly, The Thunderman's and Livin Maddie, but was recently the voice of Robert, a member of the fake band for Town in the movie Turning Red. Okay, there's this whole bunch of words there I'll never understand lot. Yeah, exactly, and this movie runs. I'm sorry, I'm taking a long pause because that's how long the movie was. One hundred and four minutes. Horrendous people, truly disgusting. I'm appalled, fourteen whole minutes over the target, which is basically another movie. In my opinion, why not just make it three hours long and have an intermission in the middle.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: Where it happens too is a lot of and although I enjoyed it, a lot of the dances at like the performances were so long, like to the point where I'm like, we're still going, like there's still dancing on lunch tables.
Speaker 1: And one of the things, yeah, one of the dances. I liked the dancing, but I didn't like the song so I and it's kind of an important one but it probably should have been cut. But anyway, I would love to just stop the podcast now, just like just.
Speaker 4: Like cut it down.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have to be gone gone, but like drown and for that's a lot.
Speaker 1: That's Godfather's like one hundred and six. I'm kidding, it's longer than that. But ah, I want to just shut the podcast down right now and call but I'll power on. Okay, I'm kidding. It's just long. We have a packed house when it comes to the writers. Maybe that's why it's so long. It's based on characters by Vince Marcello and Mark Landry, the two writers from the first movie, obviously something that has happened to every franchise. And we have a story credit to Robert Horne, another writer from the first movie, but sneaking in there with another story by credit is dcom legend, the writer of All Things Good, Dan Berenson. Again pick a dcom of the two thousands, and chances are he wrote it with our other writer friend we have on the podcast. It's like we're covering everybody, covering every base. The two guys wrote everything. Yeah, so next to Stu Kreeger, it's just if it's just Stu Kreeger and Dan Berenson, you've got the Disney Channel for like twenty years, you'd get crazy. Yeah, you're good, Yes, but the true screenplay credit goes to Matt and Billy Eddie Brothers, whose other credits include the dcom Zapped, Bad Hair Day, and Invisible Sister, as well as Nickelodeon's Monster High Movie and Monster High Too. Okay, we're right where we want to be because this is meant to be. We're starting over with a silver scream gem that is guaranteed to twist your frown upside down. Let's get into Teen Beach Too, or Teen Beach DH as it was called in France. We open with Mac and Brady walking on the beach. Brady is leading the way because Mac is blindfolded, it has no clue where she's going, but she knows it's not some hostage situation or a night of surfing it's a date commemorating the three month anniversary, and he's taking her to a very romantic spot where they met. And I thought it was very strange that as she was blindfolded, he said, do you recognize this place? And she did. He then goes on to say, it's been the most bodacious summer, even though they got trapped inside a movie. And now we know we're picking up shortly after the first teen beach ended, and I dig that. I like just picking up where we left off. Good, good plan. A little bit after, Brady finally removes her blindfold and he's recreated their first rendezvous the night they watched Wet Side Story together. Can't get a wear that nowadays. Hey babe, why don't we go somewhere and watch Wet Side Story together? You're gonna get a slap, he announces they're gonna watch it again, leading us to our first song, Best Summer ever, that's been in my head for three days, with the projected cast of the movie leading the way. The surface and bikers together for a big number with our two love birds singing along, and as the track end, Brady rushes her to the beach with their boards so they will be surfing. After all, what did you think of the first song and dance, Sabrina?
Speaker 4: It was cute.
Speaker 2: It was like I thought, it was a great like little intro into like remembering where we're going with this movie. You know where we've been and where we're going with it.
Speaker 1: I'm literally the middle of the night last night, I woke up at three o'clock in the morning, going.
Speaker 4: Like, oh God, what's happened.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, that's got to tell you. It's got to show you something, right. I mean, I've been into the I'm walking around going times and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, cut it out, poor Sue.
Speaker 1: I know that's true. It's true. Now out in the ocean, chilling on their boards, they talk about being the last day of summer. They start. They do a lot of night swimming in a place where things can kill you, which I.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm telling you the whole time, I'm thinking, like all of the shows I've been watching on Shark Week, like, you should not be in the ocean right now. You know, you wouldn't even know that a shark was coming. It's dark.
Speaker 1: It's a very it's a very very bad time to be incredibly unsafe. Yes, yeah, but not in Disney movies.
Speaker 3: I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They talk about it being the last day of summer. They start school tomorrow and she will be very busy with classes. But Brady, well, he won't be. He's a lazy surfing bro and he loves it, but he worries that things might be a little different for them now that they'll be in school. They'll be in a totally new environment. Mac thinks they'll be fine, but Brady is clearly worried. And that's when Mac realizes she's lost her necklace. It's the only thing she has from her time in Wet Side Story. It was a from Layla And then we the audience see it floating and twinkling to the bottom of the ocean, Titanic style. That woman had the eighty million dollar necklace the entire time. Yeah, and then dies and goes instantly to Leonardo DiCaprio, like her husband of forty years is sitting there waiting with roses, like, where the hell is she? And she going to Leonardo DiCaprio, the guy I knew for two days. Thanks, thanks babe. Then we're thrown in the first day of school. Students are just arriving to Windy Bluff High including the one man Stoke Machine, Devin, Brady's best friend, who is skateboarding and filming himself. He reunites with Brady and we see there a very long and very complicated handshake. They catch up about their summers, including news of Brady's new girlfriend, Mack, who he pretends is a natural, very chill beach bum. She isn't. She's an uptight book nerd. Now in the halls, Mac is handing out flyers for her oceanography club, a new initiative she conceived when she decided not to transfer to a prep school this year. She catches up with her pal, another overachiever, Alyssa, who reveals she's recently hung out with the cutest boy in school, Spencer Watkins. Then, right on time, Brady pops up, where in flip flops, he introduces Mac A's his girlfriend, completely shocking Devin and Alyssa. It's a real opposite to track kind of deal. One of them's a surfer and the other can read. The couple tries to make plans, but Mac is swamped with study groups and extra curricular clubs. Curricular and curriculum are always so difficult to say for me, but they do meet back up in third period marine biology Awesome High School, where Brady is sketching some surfboard ideas instead of doing the lab project. And for marine biology, I'm wondering what they're doing with bunts and burners and beakers and everything. But hey, I guess maybe I don't know the ocean. I mean, she even says I love biology, and then she said I think I love chemistry. And it's like, Okay, what class are you in?
Speaker 2: But I mean it makes sense though, like sometimes they feel like teachers teach different courses, like they don't have all of.
Speaker 1: Their right but this is the class they're in together. So this is supposed to be third period marine biology, right, So then what are they doing with beakers?
Speaker 4: Well, I yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't I must not know the actual that it must be doing something oceany Yeah, then cutie Spencer Watkins runs into a very awkward Alyssa, who eventually just trips and breaks some beakers, but in reality appears Spencer's actually into Mac. He's the chair of the Environmental Study Society and wants to collaborate with her on the new environmental club, but is really flirty about it. It seems like they seem to hit it off, and Brady is immediately threatened. He throws himself into their conversation. We get some serious cringe moments here. Now with the lab assignment, whatever the hell it is, in full swing, the girls look right at home while while our surfer bros barely pay attention, and Brady gets even more insecure when he sees Mac and Spencer chatting it up about spending a future semester at sea together once classes is Miss Max shows Brady some bracelets she'll be selling It or Save the Beach Dance, and they're pretty underwhelming if you ask me. Brady invites her to go surfing, but Max's she's too busy prepping for the event. Brady suggests a wet side story theme at the beach, but she argues that no one else in the school has seen the movie. She reminds him about the college fair later, something she's very much looking forward to, and he is clearly dreading. So Brady goes off to surf, stopping at his little bamboo shack, which on that beach and wherever they're supposed to be Hawaii whatever is probably a seven or eight million dollars surf shack to apply online to college. And we know this because college application is in huge letters on the screen. Not the specific college, not whatever, just college application. It's like, oh, I guess he's applying to college. He doesn't even know where to start, so he shifts his focus back to his secret surfboard sketches. Brady's mom, who I don't think we met. In the first one we had his Barry Bosswick played his grandfather or father. It was his grandfather right that he lived. Yes, yeah, I don't think we met her.
Speaker 2: We never meet his dad either, even within the second movie. Yeah, which is weird because I feel like it we usually at least get the parents of.
Speaker 1: The main characters, right, and we didn't see her at all.
Speaker 4: There was really no adult see in this movie at all.
Speaker 1: No, I can't remember if we saw it.
Speaker 2: Weren't even really teachers, I don't feel like no.
Speaker 1: But we do get to meet Brady's mom very briefly. For one scene. She stops by and they chat about his college dilemma, and she's like, hey, maybe pick a college instead of just going to college application. She doesn't actually say that but she should. He has no idea what he wants to do in the fact that Mac has her entire future planned out is very intimidating. She tells him not to stress, all things will work out in time. Again, left alone with his sketches, it should come as no surprise that he's also watching his favorite movie, the one he was sucked into, Wet Side Story, which I've now said so many times it's starting to sound normal. It's a scene where tan No, it's not, it's not at all. It's a scene where Tanner is ready to leave the beach and his new biker Chick Layla I can say chick, because it's supposed to be the sixties, is going to be left behind. She's nervous for him, but also volunteers to tag along. Everyone's shocked to hear the suggestion women aren't meant to do an anything important, but Leila argues she might be able to help. He lets her know the harsh reality of the fifties and sixties, and she admits she has no idea what she was thinking. She tells him to be brave and the men I'll leave the woman behind. So does this mean the original movie has now changed so that there's time travel. Like I I liked the idea that it seemed like ever since our two main characters got too wet side story.
Speaker 2: There's a shift.
Speaker 1: There's a shift, and and they're almost like the characters in that movie are starting to wake up, especially Layla is starting to wake up to changing the world around her or around them the other characters. So I like that, but I didn't understand kind of what they were. It would this be happening if he wasn't watching the movie?
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I think that's the idea, is that it's like, yeah, the shifts happen now that like they they didn't forget about, right, the two characters coming.
Speaker 1: In, But do the shifts ship do they happen in the movie? Like if he's watching the screen, is the movie now different than the one he's been watching forever? Because she's now changing.
Speaker 2: She wants to do back and forth because that was That's what I mean. She drops into his arms like that whole thing happens again, but she's changed now, so that's when she's like, I can't do this anymore. So yeah, so it's like a replay of the movie, but now she's the one. She's really the one that's making the big moves for this, right.
Speaker 1: But if I'm myself sitting there in teen Beachland and I turn on my TV to wet some whatever it is wet wet side story, am I now watching a different movie than was originally there?
Speaker 4: That's what I think the intention?
Speaker 1: Okay, gotcha? Gotcha? Okay, we are back in the expensive hut workshop. Brady's deep into his surfboard plans when he realizes he's late for the college fair. Oh no. He jumps up to get changed, it did nicer clothes and speeds off in the rain in a two person bike by himself. For some reason, he's had a two person bike.
Speaker 2: I got either, Like what why?
Speaker 1: Why he's got a two person bike? Anyway, he speeds off into the rain. He makes the fair just as it's closing and sees Mac hanging out with the dork spencer again, and there's a great shot of him just in the rain. Now he's totally drenched. She wants to know what's going on here. Mac is disappointed he missed the fair. Yet Brady's the one who's angry for no real reason at all. He's the late one Mack even reveals she's been texting him trying to find out where he was. The argument is over his immaturity and the idea that their relationship seems low on her priority list. They stubbornly agree that maybe they won't work during the school year. After all, what are couple's breaking up already?
Speaker 2: And it's like over really like nothing, like I'm sorry, I'm late, Mac, But.
Speaker 1: He also didn't even show It's so funny, Oh my god, you instantly went on to his side where I'm like, but wait a minute. She they wanted to do one thing together. They're going to the college fair. He doesn't show up at all. She's been texting all day and he shows up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that didn't make sense, But it was also kind of like I mean for her to be like we're just not gonna work out, Like okay, wow, wow, I meant let him have it. I'm all about letting him have it, but like, now you can't be with this person because of one mistake, like man, yeah, that and Anti wears flip flops that you don't like. Like this is just getting crazy. Max in all fairness too much.
Speaker 1: He didn't even bring a bag to school, like he's got nothing. Yeah, he just walks in with a pen. It's like, dude, you gotta get your learn on a bit. I get you on a surf. That's great. But anyway, Yeah, he's a she's a bit too much and he's not enough.
Speaker 4: I guess, yeah he's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Later, Max sits atop a lifeguard tower as a sad song plays. She's obviously affected, and so is Brady, who's on his balcony playing an acoustic guitar. Imagine being surprised he plays an acoustic guitar. He's very much the acoustic guitar type he is. But the song is on my own and ode to his new breakup and being single for a few hours. Apparently he already writes it. First do we think of? Okay? What do you I? Okay, I really liked this song. I did this is this is one where I was like, Okay, it's very Matchbox twenty adjacent. Yeah, yeah, but I liked this. I also was trying to remember was he a musician in the first one?
Speaker 2: I was trying to remember too, And we both said we were going to watch the first one, I know, and then we never did, and we did.
Speaker 4: It and this is when I went damn it.
Speaker 2: Then like I just like and then then he's got.
Speaker 1: Thousands of dollars worth of equipment as he's recording songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't remember that being a part of his storyline of him being like this, like you know.
Speaker 1: But then it's never mentioned again. He doesn't play heard the song he's recording, he doesn't say I want to be a musician, he doesn't say. It's literally never mentioned against it's.
Speaker 2: Honestly to like they were using the opportunity of like Ross Lynch at this point, especially like their band was really doing well and that's was like his thing, so they they took the first movie. I think he just booked it for you know, sure whatever, and then they kind of tried to like push it into like the fact that he's like like a little rock star.
Speaker 1: Right, But then why don't they do it the way they've done every other song in every other musical, where he walks on the beach and dances, he plays his guitar and he sings the song. Why didn't have to set it up where he's literally setting up recording equipment and recording a song by himself in a hut that he never plays for anybody. He never talks about wanting to be a musician before or after. It never comes up again. So what made them go, you know, we're gonna have to record a song instead of taking that acoustic guitar and have him walking in the waves and surfing at night. I mean, they do it every movie. This was just it was so strange to me where it's like, now, I know, it's kind of me to me.
Speaker 2: I just literally instantly went like, oh, they're trying to obviously highlight who Ross actually is, not his character, but who he actually is is a.
Speaker 1: Person, mention it or play the song for the girl or something. I mean, yeah, and it happened.
Speaker 2: I was assuming it was kind of come back, and it never means. However, we're still at one hundred and five minutes. I know, when when the hell do we have time to actually bring it back.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but man, they should have because it's like, you gotta you know, if you're gonna set up something like that, it's got to pay off somewhere. And also, were you surprised by this point in the movie that that wet side story, like the characters weren't integrated at all at this point. I mean we're like, what twenty minutes in something like that. Yeah, we're letting the wet side story, but they're not interacting. So yeah, and again, the last one ended them all walking out of the water.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm just gonna say. And I get them going like, but we what they were? Aren't they already here? Like where are they? Like this house?
Speaker 4: Are they at?
Speaker 1: Prediculous? We talked about this. Yeah, yeah, okay, well it was strange.
Speaker 2: I was kind of like, again, going that it's interesting that they did that at the end because really, remember that was like an extra scene that wasn't even necessarily needed, like it didn't wrap up anything. It was already a done movie. And then they did it like teasing for the second movie.
Speaker 1: They kind of did that with the Zombies. It was was a Zombies three where we thought it was Zombies two maybe where we thought the next one was going to be Mermaids, Like they really set it up. It was kind of ocean based, and then it never happened. Yeah. Yeah, and then so they're bringing that back now at the end of four. Yeah, but it was Zombies.
Speaker 4: Four Zombies two though, Remember there was.
Speaker 2: A poster of like Aliens, like they a cartoon part thing where they do the wrap up.
Speaker 4: There wasn't Aliens.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, they're already trying to bring it back. But anyway, once this song that he's recording for nobody but himself on really expensive equipment is done, Wet Side Story is back on TV. It's a big diner scene between Tanner and when they first meet, blended together the two social groups that have never been able to mix. But now she breaks character and says she can't do this anymore. Everyone in the diner stops that they're doing. Some even fall to the ground and shock. This isn't supposed to happen. Leela runs out the door and her brother biker Butchi is very concerned. Tanner chases after her to find her frozen staring out into the ocean. She admits ever since Mac and Brady visited, she feels different. She wants new experiences, and that's when she sees it. The necklace she gave Mac has now washed up on shore, and she thinks it's a sign she must be reunited with Mack. She says goodbye to a very confused Tanner. Then the surfers, then the bikers, then the people who always stand around in the background whose name she doesn't know. That's great, and then she just walks into the ocean. Tanner hysterically because he hates the cold water, follows her in and poof, they're gone. And this is where Tanner just started to steal this movie for me.
Speaker 4: Sae.
Speaker 1: He was great. The next morning, Oh my god, he was. She's so was she. They were both great.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was good in the last one, but he really took this character to the next level, really did, and it worked. It would so well.
Speaker 1: Any more would have been too much, Yeah, but he did just the right amount. It was very, very funny. The next morning, the that and Tennify themselves washed up on shore too, and immediately spot a man on a flyboard, those odd jet packs you wear on your feet to launch you out of the water. This is a very twenty tens type of thing. Have you ever met anybody who's ever done these? No?
Speaker 2: But I would love for Jordan to try, because I think he'd be so good at it, because he's.
Speaker 1: I think it looks like if you can surfer, you can snowboard if you've got that kind of balance and the core strength then you can probably do it.
Speaker 4: But it's I've seen people.
Speaker 2: I've actually been like in Newport on like a duffy and seen someone out in the bay air like the area, like actually doing it.
Speaker 1: What's a duffy.
Speaker 2: A duffy is like a little it's a it's a like a small boat that you like a dinghy. No, No, like a boat. It's a small boat like holds like anywhere from like eight to twelve people.
Speaker 4: It's got a little table in the middle.
Speaker 1: It's like electric duffy.
Speaker 2: I he that. Oh, it's they're so nice. You take them out in the water. You can like do like a cheeseboard and like just like god, yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, duffy and cheese. I'm down.
Speaker 4: You're gonna do it's I love it.
Speaker 2: That will be our first hangout, yes, and then seven years, five years.
Speaker 1: We'll do a duffy and cheese. I love it. The duo from the sixties is then confused by some joggers and wetsuits and flabberg acid by a guitar player with dreadlocks that makes him look like he's in the band pod. In short, they are way out of their element, and when they ask for help from a surfer. They're offered a cell phone, and Tenner thinks it's a little lady in a little box. While Brady heads to the ocean, he spots Mac picking up trash in the beach. They have a very tense exchange, then Mac notices some people running towards them. It's Leila and Tanner. Brady and Mack explain that they're in the future, and that leads us to our next song Right Where I Want to Be a track all about their new surroundings. Tanner discovers remote control helicopters, break dancing, and those guys who paint themselves silver for tips, And I think, oh my god, if if I'm right about this, I have not googled because I didn't want to know, but I think the guy all painted up in silver doing the robot is the same guy who does all the robot stuff in Step up two through five, And so if I recognize that guy covered in silver paint, if I'm right, I'm going to be shocked. But I think that's how much of a step up fan I am is I'm pretty sure the same guy.
Speaker 2: I cannot even believe you.
Speaker 1: Lisa's honest, Lisa, I'm pretty I swear to God, I have not looked, but I think it's the same guy. If I'm right, I'm going to be shocked.
Speaker 4: That I'm gonna just die.
Speaker 2: That's so good.
Speaker 1: Let's where I think it's him.
Speaker 2: Okay, man, and if only we had al I'm right, I'm right you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, right.
Speaker 3: I knew that.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's the guy from the Step Up movies, and even I recognize me painted all Solver. That's oh my step up to the streets where we first meet him? It's very important. Was it in two or three where we met him? I think we met him in two anyway.
Speaker 4: I don't know, You're insane.
Speaker 1: What did you think? Okay, so this is where this we're talking about, right where I want to be? Track about their new surroundings, the break dancing guy Leila learns here about women's rights, which is cool. What did you think about where I want to be? Right where I want to be? This song?
Speaker 2: This wasn't my more memorable one. This one was kind of like cute. But again, I do think I want to know how long these ones are because this is I think the first one that I'm going got these these musicals they're starting to get long. This is the first one. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't like super impressionable to me.
Speaker 4: What did you think?
Speaker 1: I again, I like the two of them together and people looking around them like who the hell is this and then joining in and not knowing why they're joining in. They do that again at the school. Yeah, but I think if I think, if you could cut one, I would have cut this this one song. And I didn't mind the song, whereas the next one. I liked the dancing and hated the song. And we'll get into that. But it was yeah, I mean it was, it was okay. While Leela and Tanner continue their exploration of a new decade, Brady and Mack realize it'll be tough to control these two, especially once they notice that their hair still doesn't get wet, which is a funny observation from teen Beach one. Leila and Tanner discuss if revealing to their friends that their fictional characters from a movie is the right thing to do, but for now, they decide to just take it slow. We're back at Max's house. Leela is learning all about iPods and preparing her wardrobe for Wendy bluff, but no matter what she tries on, she emerges looking like a girl from the sixties. Very clever.
Speaker 2: I loved that part. It was very cool, so funny.
Speaker 1: Yep, we are now back in Wet Side Story. I guess just got to lean into it. But she admits to the cast that nothing feels right since Leela and Tanner walked into the ocean if, as they noticed, just stopped. They wonder if singing a song will help. So we get Chrissy fit as Chee Chee singing our next track, Fallen for You, a fun comedic jingle from the first movie that now includes some infighting with Seacat. What did you think of this one?
Speaker 2: I thought this one was cute. I actually really liked it. It was I thought it was great to see again, we haven't really seen a lot of the Wet Side Story characters, right, so it was nice for them to have like a moment. I really did actually like it. It shows off how funny all these characters are, and the actors like just did really really well with this one.
Speaker 1: I thought, I agree, and I think if memory serves some of the first one of these that we did. The woman to the if you're looking at the screen to the left of Chee Chee, who was her number one singer, the Long Dark Hair. She was also the choreographer, if memory serves that was that was. It was her and somebody else that did the choreography for the first movie, And I'm pretty sure for this one this one as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, had a bigger This movie seemed very seamless with the other one when it comes to choreography.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it seems like pretty sure that was the one. She did the first one and did this one as well.
Speaker 4: Got it.
Speaker 1: When even a song doesn't help, it's undeniable that things are off. And then one of the background surfers disappears. He just zaps away. No one notices, though, because they're all too focused on a girl shaking her butt. I'd explain more about that, but it's probably funnier to just leave it at that. Back at modern day Windy Bluff High School, Tanner and Leila have joined Brady and Mack to get some ground rules down. Don't do anything that gives them the way, like getting their hair wet or letting them their white teeth. Blaying is, like Tanner, always a good thing when he opens his teeth, but especially no singing, not even if it's from the heart or moves the story along. I love how she said that, not even from the heart, it moves the story alone, again not taking itself seriously, kind of making fun of movies as they go. While walking the halls, Tanner is naturally standing out. The ladies love him, even a goth one. Brady introduces his new friend to Devin as his cousin Dolph from Iceland. Unfortunately, Devin had been to Iceland before, so that made for a few tough questions, but in the end, Devin loves Dolph and Tanner is excited for a day in school, and Leela is really loving her classes already She's learning a lot and proving it basically be a genius. And in the hallway with Max, she meets Spencer and is stunned by how cute he is. Is he? Is he cute? He seemed cute? Is he cute?
Speaker 4: Guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? He was?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I wish we had more of what his credits are because he looked so familiar. I couldn't remember where I've seen him before, to the point where I'm like, have I worked with it?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 2: Why does this guy look so familiar, but I could not place him. But yeah, he was really cute and I liked how different he looked, Like I love that they have so many different looking people that are like, yeah, so adorable in this movie, like we hit all the boxes.
Speaker 1: Like again, arguably, I think we talked about this last movie, but this would be up there too. Is arguably best looking cast overall. Yes, I mean you think about from each character down, like every everybody's Layla.
Speaker 2: Is a stunning, stunning girl.
Speaker 1: Oh gorgeous, distractingly.
Speaker 4: Yes, with her eyes like and I mean it.
Speaker 1: Was just and she's so good in this movie and yeah she's Yeah, I felt the same way. I have to ask, though, because we've got another another boy cutie for you, Ross Lynch. Would he have been on your wall as a kid?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, not your title?
Speaker 2: And I worked with Ross Ross and I did a chorus line at the Hollywood Bowl together, Okay, and he is so sweet, Like I mean, I think it's like one of those things like I probably if I was younger and got to know Ross, not necessarily like this character, but if I got to know him, yeah, I'd probably have a crush because he's just so sweet, like such a nice guy.
Speaker 4: You'd I know, I can't find anyone. You know.
Speaker 2: What's crazy is like the closest one. I think that sort of looks like George and is the the beach guy like Jordan. Yeah, he looks like Jordan's all right, fair enough? No not no, not Bogie, the one that stole the show Tannery.
Speaker 1: Oh really he looks almost like Jordan, who doesn't actually exist. That's awesome, pretty sure. Mac introduces Leela as cousin Delga from Finland, which seems like quite a coincidence between her and Brady regarding calling them cousins, also from like the same part of the world. But anyway. Spencer apologizes if he's causing any problems with Brady yesterday and asked about the upcoming Save the Beach dance. The other thing they never get into save the beach from what?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just it's just that she's it just is like implying that she's like an activist, like I know, but they didn't.
Speaker 1: They never talk about saving the beach from. What is a corporation coming in? Are are people? She talks about litter? Just what are they saving the beach from? I'd love to know just right. I need I need to know the rules again.
Speaker 2: But anyway, and it was a big dance. It was like the size of like a homecoming, like yeah, prom It was not like a little beach, you know. It was like, yep, this is big.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. Mac admits they haven't sold many tickets, but Laila is now very excited for it. They also bump into Alyssa and she immediately hits it off with Laila. Seems like everything is working out for the friends from the sixties movie. Mac and Brady regroup at lunch, detailing the disasters of a day they're living out. But Brady has a plan. He wants to let Layla and Tanner loose in the most confusing, scary place possible, the cafeteria. And then we see Tanner and Layla still sticking out like sore thumbs, looking for a place to sit neat. They're laughed at by the nerds, the cheerleaders, the skateboarders, the punks, and the preppies, eventually landing at the football jocks, who proceed to bully them. And despite the earlier warning from their friends, Tanner and Layla turn this into a song. It's called Twist your frown upside down. It's a track encouraging the student body to be friendlier every Eventually all the social groups join in, even Brady and Mac in the quarterback. What do we think about this one, Sabrina, No, no, no, this was not for you again.
Speaker 2: Well, I have a big thing to talk about in my Sabrita seas with it. But the visuals of this this was like this for me. I did love in the sense of the visuals of what they do when they do those like aerial shots of like you know, creating these great pictures. Those are the things like I really remember. But the song itself was like, I mean, I love cheesy moments. This was just like the dumbest song to me. And I'm sorry I they be so rude about it, but if you know, it's hard for me to be just.
Speaker 1: Like you don't like I do not like the color as your shirt right now?
Speaker 4: This one was.
Speaker 2: Just like I just feel like I was looking at the gave me like, are we for real?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Naw? So cool aspect of it at all?
Speaker 1: Playing Devil's Advocate. Isn't it supposed to be sixties teen beach kids doing a cheesy song? Yes, all the people in the cafeteria, like not knowing why they're joining in, like looking around, like why am I dancing like this?
Speaker 2: That part of this stuff was really funny. But even at the end when the jock like, I mean it was so quick the move songs over and he's like, we will never talk about this again.
Speaker 1: What because he put the he put the.
Speaker 2: Nerd in the both of their hands like it just like you know it just I think it went a one or two or twenty steps too far from me? Okay, what about you? Did you love it?
Speaker 1: I loved what they again, I love it didn't take itself seriously. The song was the song. I mean, the song was the song.
Speaker 2: But the choreography was good and I love the idea good, But the song was just like I know, I.
Speaker 1: Mean I like all the groups joining in and not knowing why they were joining Yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: I loved the concept of it. It's just the song itself. To me, this is what I think of that when I listen to these kinds of songs, I think of, would this be something I would like love performing? And that would be a hard no for me. I would have been really.
Speaker 1: Good no for me. Doug, Yeah, it no for me, doug Ah.
Speaker 2: It was like I would have been really embarrassed. And again I don't say that very often about knowing the things you don't, so if it's gone too far, then it's like.
Speaker 4: It's gone far.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love that.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: We are back at Big Mama's in the sixties. Wet Side story is just off the rails at this point, everyone is bored and confused, and they finally notice that people are starting to disappear. Back at school, kids actually love the singing our sixties. Transplants are becoming very popular, and Mac has focused on learning stuff, something she's not allowed to do back home, and now Brady's workshop. Something is bothering Tanner. This is a great scene. He's been thinking, and he usually doesn't do that. Leila's always been so focused on him ever since she's just walked out of the ocean thinking for herself. It's made him feel different. He's nervous things won't work out. Tanner explains that's called worry. What if he's not enough for her? Tanner suggests to be the best dude he can be and hope for the best. He admits he's having a bit of a rough patch with Mac two, he's been too focused on those surfboard ideas, and we finally get a glimpse of what they are, rotating fins, a folding surfboard for suitcases, and another board that doesn't even need waves. Tanner says he's never shown Mac because he thinks she'll judge him for spending too much time surfing, and where he has this moment. Tanner has this moment where he's still trying to be happy and fun but his eyes fill up with tears because he doesn't know what he's feeling. Great beat, so good. He was so good in this movie. He was so good in this Yes.
Speaker 2: He's shined. I don't remember him being like this like Shiny Star of.
Speaker 1: Now who we liked him if memory serves, But this.
Speaker 2: Was not as his character had so much growth in this movie and it really allowed him to show his acting chops, like on a whole other level.
Speaker 1: I agree, but that where he's he's got this big smile on his face still but his eyes are filling with tears and he doesn't know it was and he's.
Speaker 2: Really so adorable, Like he's just so cute.
Speaker 1: Best arguably best looking cast we've had. I yes, they're up there. We are over. We say that with every movie though, because then we go we watch like another Zombies or another just sent like everybody here's gorgeous too. Sure, we're over. At Max House, Leela admits she's never been this happy. She loves school and lip gloss, but Mac explains the real world isn't actually that great, with finals and taxes and global warming and even public restrooms.
Speaker 2: Like this fifteen year old is talking about taxes. What do you know about taxes?
Speaker 4: Mac? Like you know about taxes?
Speaker 1: My god, I gotta have my personal taxes in the fifteen Yeah, she doesn't.
Speaker 2: She does such a weird line for me, for her, like, ah, what, Like, I get it, she's mature. I do that as her character.
Speaker 1: But like taxes, Yeah, come, you're not doing your taxes.
Speaker 4: Let's pull it back in.
Speaker 1: You're not doing your taxes. She floats the idea that maybe the sixties are better, but Leela wants to live life to the fullest. Mack argues that having someone you love might be something to fight for and it mirrors her own issues with Brady, and maybe just maybe she's learning something too, and that's when Leela emerges from the closet. Now able to wear some of Max's clothes, she is suddenly becoming modernized. The guys rush over to the beach to see Leela for themselves. They also notice that's that Tanner's teeth aren't gleaming anymore. There's no more ding, and their hair can get wet. That is a problem. If the fabric of who they are changes, they'll be stuck in the real world forever. They must get back to the sixties and are running out of options. And then that's when Mac really abruptly tells them the truth. They aren't real people. They are fake characters from a movie, and this breaks their brains. Brady shows them wet side story on his phone, and this doesn't help. It's just so confusing. So Mack and Brady decide to explain it in a language everyone will understand. A song. That's nice do it So that's do it in song.
Speaker 7: And dense people again, Mac easier, thin, bro, I mean, come on, and that's oh my god, you're you're all fake.
Speaker 1: Like holy she.
Speaker 2: Gets she gets so like to the point she's so blunt. She's as blunt as like I am in the Cheetah Girls, like just ready to fight all the time, right, can throw down all the time. That's as blunt as Mac is.
Speaker 1: Just ready to swing.
Speaker 2: She is second.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, this is where we jump into silver screen a metajam about how life is better when you're in a movie. This is a very fun, very fun kind of production here. There's a lot of jumping from rom com to western, a musical, and even a pirate ship. What were your thoughts on this little ditty? Because I thought this one was very clever.
Speaker 2: I did too, I did too. This is to me what one of the like like, this is team beach to me like that?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: This is the kind of song that I always will now think of when I think of this franchise, Like these kinds of musical numbers here right.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Yeah, this was a lot of fun. But Lela isn't sold. She wants to stay in modern day forever, so she rips off her necklace and throws it into the ocean. We are back at Big Mama's, Butchi knows there's only one thing left to do, pretend everything is fine and ignore their problems. The group agrees, but that's when Chee Chee comes running up with the news even more people are vanishing. Anyone could be next, and then Butchie finds the necklace. It's once again washed up, so he decides to face his fear of the water and go get his sister, and the entire group sprints with him. The next morning, Mac and Brady are arguing while trying to find the necklace in the ocean. Brady mentioned spend and it only adds fuel to the fire. And back on the beach, Leela and Tanner noticed something. Wait a minute, what is that some weirdos in the ocean fully clothed. What it's their friends from back home? What the heck? Okay, so now they're here, even though that's how it ended the first Okay, well, all right, there's a big reunion. But when they announced they've arrived to take their friends home, Leela explains she doesn't want to leave, she's just starting to find herself. But when she finds out that people are disappearing, the realization sets in Wet Side story might just go away forever, and Leela knows she must go back. The movie is her job, so she says goodbye to Mac, Tanner says goodbye to Brady, and the Wet Side story cast walks into the ocean with the necklace and back to the sixties. Now alone, Mack and Brady don't know what to say to each other. She runs off to her Save the Beach dance, which I guess is already in progress. Spencer has apparently moved on from Mac and asks Alyssa to dance to a Sabrina Carpenter song. Okay, I have heard a Saberena Carpenter's song. That was a simple fix. I guess he sure got over Mac pretty quickly. Okay, Max smiles about ditching that clinger, but Brady is nearby bumming alone. Devin suggests you go talk to his now ex beach bunny, but just as he does, the sound of surf rock fills the gym and in walks the Wet Side Story crew again with Tanner on a segway. Leean announces they've returned to help Brady and Mack. Tanner is finally thinking for himself and exudes confidence, which he spells ko n fidense. He reminds Brady he's an amazing guy and he can do anything he puts his mind to, and just like that, Brady runs on stage and asks the band for a kick snare. Then magically he teaches the band our next song, gotta be Me Confident anthem about how Brady is ready to step up for mac Mack joins in too, and it looks like they're rekindling the romance through dance. What did you think of this one?
Speaker 2: This? This is his big This is like to me, it showcased how talented this guy is.
Speaker 1: Did you it's okay? This is the one where I didn't like the song really. I liked the dancing. I didn't like this too.
Speaker 2: I think I was into the Dan scene to notice the song.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I thought Ross looked awesome in this, like.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean he can clearly get just.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know, like he's just he just is such a great performer that I think I kind of got swept in that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was he didn't like the songs.
Speaker 1: I didn't like the song. I liked the dancing. I did not like the song. I just it was not what This one wasn't catchy to me at all. It was just kind of yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's what's kind of interesting about the movie, is like it wasn't like all the music was bad. It was just like all of it also wasn't like to the level of like what we're now getting, what our what our standard is now.
Speaker 1: Anyway, this song ends with Mac and Brady embracing and Butchie, who's holding a very important necklace, announces they got to get back in the ocean, but then he vanishes with the necklace. Lee that realizes that the first time they time traveled, Brady and Mac didn't even have the necklace, so that means the necklace can't be the only catalyst. How do they get back then? And so in a throwback to teen beach movie, Mack and Brady get Tanner and Layla out to the ocean with boards, but there's no waves, and just as all their friends vanish away, even Chee Chee, Tanner and Leela know they have to do something. Then Brady has an idea. He rushes off with Mac to his workshop, which means Mack has now seen all the secret work he's been doing. He admits he was ashamed to show her because she has a vision for her future and he is just a beach bump, but she says his projects look incredible and she respects his vision. But then he reveals the now finished hydro lithium surfboard with a motor. It doesn't need waves to work. This could be what Tanner and Leela need. And I think they have another song right around here, and we'll get to that. Mack apologizes for everything, and they promise each other no more secrets. They also notice that they're in the exact same spot that they met. Somehow, this makes them realize if their friends don't end up back in the movie, then it will also mean they never met. And that's when I want to surprise.
Speaker 4: What right?
Speaker 1: What does that mean? Did you follow any of that logic?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean I understood what they were saying. I didn't understand how that made sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, So not only do I not get while it made that didn't make sense, But okay, they're putting that out there. It doesn't make any sense, but they're putting it out there. If they don't get back to them, it's another level of danger. If they don't get back to the movie, it's like we've never met. Yeah, remember that, people just remember that because it's gonna come back. Brady says, no matter what, he'll never forget her, and then he sings something that turns into a duet called Meant to Be, And it's all about their relationship is meant to be? And I thought, hey, all these people are disappearing and essentially dying. Maybe now's not the time to sing. Uh, just maybe not to give it some time, get them back in the water, get them back to the sixties, DN sing your song. During their final goodbyes, Max suggests Leela's start a math club and starts thinking for herself. She encourages her to change the movie, which feels like it already happened because she was doing that. But who knows. And now in the ocean, Brady tries again. Dark Ocean, Brady tries to start the board's engine, but it's sputtering. He's forced to swim underneath it and see what's going on, but the hatch one open. Time is running out. He tries and tries again, but the damn hatch is stuck, and just as Tanner starts to fade away, Brady finally pries the hatch open again. You would have had an extra five minutes if you didn't sing your song, But without any tools he can't fix it, so he borrows Leela's hairclip and finally gets it working, catapulting Tanner and Layla out to see did it work? Did they vanish from existence forever or go back into the movie? We just don't know. So Brady walks back to the beach where macus standing, but instead of celebrating, he runs right past her. Neither of them bad and I they don't know each other. So it must mean they didn't make it back to the movie, right, because those are the rules they just set up thirty seconds ago. They just did it. I know because I was watching the movie. I was watching. That's how I know. Brady meets up with Devin for their very odd special handshake, It notices to save the beach dance and movie screen in the distance. The two bros decide to crash it on the way in. By the way, it's an open dance. You don't have to crash it. He notices Mac on the beach, but again no memory of this girl. Mack re enters her dance eventually and sits at the front desk with Spencer and Alissa, and they now appear to be an official couple.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 1: When Devin and Tanner arrived by tickets, Tanner asks Mac again a girl. He doesn't know at all what movie they'll be projecting tonight. She reveals it's a nineteen sixty two beach movie party, which is very specific. It's Layla, Queen of the Beach, Mack's favorite. But Tanner isn't sold that this is the best movie to show. Mac challenges him to buy a ticket and if he doesn't agree, she'll buy him a smoothie. They have a moment, and off goes Brady. So they reversed what happened in the first movie. It's very clever. Okay, but what Mac thens announces the start of the movie, which is just its wet side story. But Layla is now a badass independent She's the main character. Tanner's just her boyfriend. History has been rewritten. But doesn't that mean they made it back to the movie in time? And so wouldn't that mean that Brady and Mack would still be dating? What's what? What?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 2: I know It's like.
Speaker 1: They didn't they established that.
Speaker 2: They established they did not.
Speaker 4: Now it's it's it flips?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 1: Are they gonna try to say it's because they changed the movie? Okay? So now way, Oh this is from producer Lisa because they changed the movie and because it's now a woman movie. Brady of course would not have seen it. Why wouldn't you have seen it? Oh that's okay, that's Lisa's take. So but they they still made it back to the sixties, they still made their sixties beach movie.
Speaker 2: But in reality, they also I guess to be fair, they didn't really know. They just were. That was just a question like does that mean that we won't know each other? Does that bring it up?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 1: You know, like, why even bring it up. It's just like it should If you're not going to explain it, don't do it right, Because they're like, if they don't make it back to the movie, we'll never know each other. And then they make it back to movie and they never know each other. Yeah, yeah, it's just it was the end got confusing. The end they had me, and then I was like, what is the end got confusing to me?
Speaker 2: I didn't know she's saying that, Lisa's saying, this is why this movie isn't liked as much as the first one because of this ending. It was a controversial situation among the fans.
Speaker 1: It should be it was confusing what was going on? Yeah, and I again. I like the idea that the relationship is starting over, and now they don't know each other and they've reversed it, and that's great, but you've got to give us a reason why that happened, and they tried to explain it, and their explanation doesn't make any sense. So I don't mind them rebooting the relationship, but you gotta make it matter, make it makes sense, and they didn't anyway. Leela sings the final song, That's how We Do, all about women empowerment, and is eventually joined by Mac and everyone at the party. It's a big finale here with a lot of dancing. Did you like the song? Did you like the dancing?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. Brady eventually joins in too, singing along with Tanner on the screen. We've got both couples now overcoming their own obstacles. But again, the conceit of the movie now makes no sense. To remind you, if Leela and Tanner make it back to the movie on time, then Mack and Brady should have had no problem remembering each other. But everyone ends up tap dancing on cars, so who cares. We're having fun. The song ends with Mac holding Brady, so reversing it, restarting their relationship against the backdrop of the screen. For a few seconds, it appears they remember each other, but it's probably just deja vu. The strangers then embrace passionately, despite the fact that they just met and this whole thing is insane, they stood have still known each other. I don't get it anyway. The credits roll up, Vie for If there's two camps, there's the camp that likes the ending and totally understands it and doesn't like the ending and doesn't get it. I'm firmly in that doesn't like the ending and don't get it. I like where they were going, but they didn't explain it, so I don't get it. What camp are you in, Sabrina.
Speaker 4: Of liking it or not liking it?
Speaker 1: Liking the ending?
Speaker 2: Yeah, mmmm, it kind of it was. It was kind of a letdown for me, Like, you know what, Like I've we've watched this one hundred and forty five minute it's six hours now. It doesn't even make like so it definitely kind of left me on like on a slump instead of it being really excited. However, I do love when there's extra stuff happening like during the credits. So I did like the little thing that starts happening while they're rolling the credits, what happens?
Speaker 1: Watch it.
Speaker 2: It was just like a cute little like thing they did. I liked it.
Speaker 1: Oh it was extra dancing scenes and takes and stuff like that. Okay, yeah I did see that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, okay, that's yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah it did kind of end on like a little bit of a slump, like what yeah, you know, So I can understand. I love that Lisa knows that that was like kind of controversial of like that. I can understand the fans.
Speaker 1: Being like, you know, we had fans on our ig already going, oh, I can't wait to hear what they think about the ending, so.
Speaker 5: I know, really take on why it is this way. I don't stop into these Okay. So the thing is, like I feel like when you were asking earlier about why we were going back and seeing the movie change, like if he's seeing that on on the screen as well, technically he wasn't really watching.
Speaker 2: It was just in the background.
Speaker 5: My thing is that you're watching the movie being made like you're watching like you're being zapped into the actual like you're on set, so then they're kind of just stopping as if they were making the movie at that time, so like she's stopping it and then so he wouldn't be seeing that because she would go back and they would do the take, and that's what he would.
Speaker 1: That's my take, so much more confusing.
Speaker 2: It is so confusing.
Speaker 5: But then by the end, because they go back in time, they're going back to the sixties when the movie was made, and she's already had these stops, so they're making a completely different movie, which is why he doesn't remember it because in my brain, because of the time, like he wouldn't be probably shown the movie Leila on the Beach as much as a Wet Side Story as a kid growing up, so like it's more likely she would have seen that than he would. Don't have that shared love of the same.
Speaker 1: Movie, because that means that they have they never met.
Speaker 5: Right, because they that's how they met was their shared love of the same movie. So now they don't have that because.
Speaker 1: No, she had never seen Wet Side Story in the first one. That was the whole point. I thought that, No didn't she isn't that The whole point is he introduces her to wet side story. And that's why they have the first date on the beach is because she's like, you've never.
Speaker 2: Seen this He's like, you've never seen this movie. Gosh, maybe you're right because I haven't.
Speaker 1: But maybe that's the play on it?
Speaker 8: Then?
Speaker 5: Is that because now the roles are switched, she's the one who's seen the movie and he has not.
Speaker 4: So it's a freak that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I get that they're doing that, so they still.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't have technically met on the beach. Yeah, it's so much thinking for kids.
Speaker 2: Sorry, yes, it is the kids.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: It is confusing for kids. I was only half a bourbon in and I didn't understand what the hell was happening.
Speaker 5: You need.
Speaker 4: You needed six more to be able to.
Speaker 1: It's still confusing, but I don't anyway, And much like the end of the film, that's the end of our recap, and I'm just gonna end it on a confusing note and let's go right into real reviews. Uh, Sabrina, I think you've got the five star this week?
Speaker 4: What do you got five star this week? It's from Samantha h C.
Speaker 2: So awesome. I had a tropical day with my mom. We watched this movie on her bed at twelve o'clock. It's a comfy bed. Then we had a smoothie while watching the movie.
Speaker 5: Stars.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, love it. I have the one star.
Speaker 2: That's as confusing as the end, as the confusing as the end of the movie.
Speaker 1: My mind is not confusing at all. It's very clear. This is the one star from Nathan's Nathaniel C not to be confused with Nathaniel A.
Speaker 5: B or D.
Speaker 1: For the sake of my sanity and well being, this movie does not exist in the TBCU or the Teen Beach Cinematic Universe. The movie does absolutely nothing but help you realize, damn, maybe there is nothing worth living for if you're on the brink of a breakdown. Literally watch anything else. Wow, there's a lot to unpack there. First of all, I love that it's already the TBCU, it's the Teen Beach Cinematic Universe, as if it's a Marvel thing.
Speaker 4: But that is one star from the mean Okay, Nathaniel, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Somebody throw up a flag and make sure that Nathaniel's doing okay, if that would be possible, that would be great.
Speaker 4: Is Jensen here is Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, good, We've got our wonderful, wonderful Jensen here to do our amazing feature this week. And this week we're doing a feature called Life's a Beach to celebrate our return to the teen Beach Movie. We are seeing just how much we know about our popular beach cities. We'll be given the name of popular beach city and we have to answer what state they're located. Oh God, example, if we're given Miami Beach, the answer is, of course Utah. Three out of five wins. It's Florida, So here we go. Number one Myrtle Beach.
Speaker 4: Myrtle Beach is Florida, isn't it?
Speaker 1: I think Myrtle Beach.
Speaker 2: You're gonna find us in South Carolina and South Carolina. Yes, no, it is, it is.
Speaker 4: It is South Carolina.
Speaker 3: I would have lost this. I double triple checked it. I would have guessed it was Florida. It is South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, s C. Okay.
Speaker 9: Number two ReHO both rehab both beach are both both are e h O b O t h rea both both I guess bothbo.
Speaker 3: We'll find out via the Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, can we can? We also say, are are all of these in America?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I haven't never heard of this one. I'm in this. Say it's in Texas, Texas on the Gulf of Mexico. It's gotta be somewhere strange. Yeah, oh god, I was gonna say East Coast, possibly too, like it's like, yeah, New Hampshire main.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say, like New Hampshire or like.
Speaker 1: We don't know, we don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll let you have all those. You got it wrong. It's Delaware, Oh god, Delaware.
Speaker 2: Well we're kind of.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Number three Tybee Island, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take us to the other coast and say it's somewhere in California.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna agree California.
Speaker 3: It's Georgia. Oh god. U.
Speaker 1: Number four seaside seaside New Jersey.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yes, New Jersey.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's Ordon mean Oregon. Well, there's also a seaside New Jersey.
Speaker 3: If there is two, I will allow.
Speaker 1: Seaside is the is the beach where they go where we're all of.
Speaker 3: East Side Heights. I will not allow it.
Speaker 1: Oh god, Okay, fine, I will allow we've already lost number five port Uranus. No, it's aransis a R A N S A S. I have no idea, no idea. It's gonna be Alaska, Texas.
Speaker 3: Guys. I'm so happy to have centered you back into a world where you only got one right.
Speaker 1: I got crushed. Thank you so much, Jensen crushed. Can we do with Sabrina Seas? Please?
Speaker 4: Now I'm starting to feel bad about this, Sabrina Seas.
Speaker 1: Why don't feel bad. You gotta do it, you gotta do it, Come on, Sabrina.
Speaker 4: All right, So we we talked.
Speaker 2: About a lot of them, as always, but they're in the turn your frown upside down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your favorite song, your favorite song and dance.
Speaker 2: One of the most horrendous things that has happened on the channel, in my opinion, happened.
Speaker 1: What, oh my god, what I'm dying to know.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna show you. So it's kind of hard for our listeners, but okay, okay, I'll try to explain it. Then. Remember when the it's like an aerial shot and they turn the frown like they're in like like it looks like a happy fair of frown face crowns up and up and down.
Speaker 4: No, it's not that it doesn't get airt I'm just gonna show you this picture. Can you see it?
Speaker 2: Yes, And then I'm gonna show you what I zoomed in because I just could not believe someone did this to this poor girl.
Speaker 1: Like that, wait, what is it?
Speaker 2: It's her, She's so they did the the like you know, somehow they somehow were in that frown position and then they all flipped over and she had to like handstand her way over and they have her in like that is awful, poor thing. I want to personally apologize that Disney did this to you, because that would have killed me, just that just in general, Like it could have just been all dudes in shorts and it wouldn't have been a thing.
Speaker 4: But like, you've got her in a cheer skirt.
Speaker 2: The skirt is flipped up out like.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 4: I felt so bad. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: And then, of course, you know, I'm watching on Disney Plus and you can't screenshot on that. I had to find it on YouTube just so I could show you. That was horrifying to me. I felt so bad for her, and I just feel terrible. The next thing was I don't know why this was really important for me to tell you was how much I disliked the hoodie that she's wearing at the end, Like she just looks weird in it, Like it just wasn't like a nice like she just looked kind of strange, and it was like, we haven't seen you wear a hood a hood yet?
Speaker 4: Why now? Movie? Why now?
Speaker 2: And then last I actually had some help from my manager Melissa that the guy that plays Devin his best friend. Yeah, his best friend who plays Devin. He is the son of the producer Ray Cham. He was Ray Cham junior, and he was around during like all of the recordings of like our first movie. Ray did pretty much all of the Cheetah Girls songs in the first movie, and he was so little. Once mel told me that, I'm like Ray's little son was so tiny during that and now he's onto being a can dance too, and he can dance his butt off wait no, yes, yes, yes, yes, And he was just so cute. So it was like such a good like Easter egg for me to like I went back and like kind of rewatched all his scenes and like the so proud of him, like that's cool, exciting you know, he was so little and he was so animated and so cute, and I remember Ray telling me, yeah, he really wants to get into acting, but I'm like not sure if I'm gonna go that route.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, you have so many great connections, like are you kidding?
Speaker 2: And so anyway for him to now, you know, be older and doing what he loves and what I saw him as a little adorable kid, I'm just really proud of him.
Speaker 1: So that's great.
Speaker 2: That's my main Sbarna sees because I'm real proud of that.
Speaker 4: We all called him Junior, so he used We used to call him Junior.
Speaker 1: So that's cool.
Speaker 2: It was cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very nice shout out to Junior. All right, well it's time to rate our film. We're gonna go one out of ten, one worst, ten best. That's what we're doing. Here are options this week? Is it? One out of ten? One man stoke machines one out of ten. Underwhelming bracelets, acoustic acoustic guitar types, girls shaking their butt one out of ten, very odd special handshakes, pod guitar players, Guys who paint themselves silver for tips who I called by the way one out of ten. Goth high school girls, kick snares or one out of ten nineteen sixty two beach movie parties do you pick?
Speaker 2: I these are all good. Nothing's really jumping out at me. Is anything jumping out at you?
Speaker 1: I'm a big fan of underwhelming bracelets. Okay, we'll do that, all right. So I think I go first this time, don't I H.
Speaker 4: No, I know you, Yeah, you went last time first.
Speaker 2: Um.
Speaker 4: So I really liked this movie.
Speaker 2: Like I said, it's hard when so many of the songs and so many of the performances were so hot, Like the hot quality was so great, great.
Speaker 4: Dancing in this movie. The actors are phenomenal.
Speaker 2: They're just so good and they really got a chance to showcase a lot of their talent.
Speaker 4: But there were some funky stuff that.
Speaker 2: Needed to be rewrote a little. Yeah here, you know, the ending on in that like weird note of wait what like what what?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 2: That was hard for me. So it dipped it at the very end.
Speaker 1: But I liked it.
Speaker 2: I thought this choreography, just like I love the Zombies choreography and the Descendants, like it just leaned in perfectly to where it was magical, but like not over the top. So I loved it. I'm gonna give it an eight point five.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, even with the ending the impressive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I did, I liked it, and I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't reamer.
Speaker 2: I definitely will have to say though. I'm hoping that is that scoring is under what the first one was because I definitely did like the first one better. Okay, it doesn't have as many like question marks as the second one did, so I hope that that rating keeps me in.
Speaker 1: Line, keeps you in line, because we don't remember what it is. I feel the same, Yeah, I feel the same that I liked this movie until the end. Some of the songs weren't great. All the dancing was good. It did not take itself too seriously. The guy playing ten Or was hysterical. There were several laugh out loud, like actual laugh out loud moments. I'm going to give this a seven point five because the ending was lame and I think that's under my last team. But it just it was like you just went at the end. Yeah, so I get why people don't like it. So, yeah, I want this to be one. Here's what I'm going to give it. I'm going to give it one less than whatever.
Speaker 2: I gave Teen Beach, right, and I don't know if I did Teen Beach at like a nine point five, I think I probably was not there.
Speaker 1: We're up there with nines. So yeah, I give this an eighth. Then, yeah, it's one less because it's it's I like the world, and I like the actors, and I like the whole the whole idea about it. But this, the ending really did kind of well, it's just a lot of best. Yeah, it's just it's it's not great. It got very confusing. But yeah, anyway, that's that's our We've just finished our because there's not a third one, so we just finished our TBCU. That's the end of the Teen Beach Cinematic Universe. We've wrapped up an entire we have We've wrapped up an entire universe. So there we go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's crazy lot of them.
Speaker 1: Now we're getting done with zombies. Yeah, well so far, but zombies is gonna be more. There's not gonna be more Teen Beaches. There's just good. That's this is it. And I think we're done with Camp Rocks now, so that's it. Where we're we're checking them off the list. Yes, uh, you know for our next movie, though it is another musical sequel set in the summertime, we're staying in theme with well Camp Rock two, So either you've heard it or you haven't heard it. Uh, But Camp Rock to the final jam, which again I thought was about the last time people eat jelly. That's not the case. So yeah, so you're gonna have to let us know what you think there. But we finally tie off all the loose ends that Camp Rock one left us. I'm kidding. I have no memory whatsoever of how it ended, and there were no loose ends. But first let's stay on the beach for our park Opper episode. We are chatting with Chrissy fit also known as a lovable chee Chi from both teen Beach one and two, and yes, I definitely want to talk to her about that, but she's also in the Pitch Perfect movies and I can't wait to talk to her about that. So she talked all about her time in Puerto Rico filming these movies. She was wonderful.
Speaker 3: You don't believe me.
Speaker 1: Listen to a small snippet of the upcoming episode.
Speaker 8: Even us like making it and reading it. I think like some of us were like, wait, is this gonna gel with like our demographic, Like we're trying to do inception.
Speaker 2: Suddenly and right, yeah, dream within a dream.
Speaker 8: I'm like, I don't know if kids are gonna love this, But then it was kind of exciting too because we were like, we're just giving them a little something extra, something like different. It doesn't have to end super happy, no, but that we were wrong.
Speaker 4: It should end on.
Speaker 1: And you could hear the whole thing in our dedicated Magical Rewind feed. It is available wherever you get your podcasts. Just search for Magical Rewind and subscribe. We have so many great decom inspired interviews for you to check out. I promise and you know. For more information, you can always follow us at Magical Rewind Pod on the Instagram machine. It's on the internets. Bye people, Bye,