Speaker 1: We are now into the late late evening hours of.
Speaker 2: The Matthews House slumber party. It is does anyone have the time?
Speaker 3: Yes, Magic Hour, but.
Speaker 2: Really I think it's nine.
Speaker 3: It is nine oh one, you guys, I'm so.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: We are jumping into something that we have mentioned numerous times on the podcast. It is a hobby of both Will and Writer, and it appears they tried to get many others into our orbit involved. So now they're going to teach me during our big hangout how to play magic the gathering.
Speaker 3: Now, did you bring your costume? I'm sorry what you got to dress? Like a uniform or elphin creem? No? You? I told everybody.
Speaker 1: Everything I needed. Nobody said anything about that writer. Can you remind us how did you get into this?
Speaker 2: Writer?
Speaker 5: This was something my brother founded a mall in nineteen ninety one Beta Unlimited, so okay whatever that was probably ninety two, I don't know, something like that. And he got into it, just like every kid in America at the Riot about that same time. And they got me into it, and then we got it, Will into it, and then I stopped, you haven't played in a while.
Speaker 6: It's been a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then I stopped playing.
Speaker 5: For years, and then I don't know, every like five or ten years, I get back into it.
Speaker 3: I switched to D and D. Yeah, d's I switched to D.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's a little more involved.
Speaker 5: It's basically Pokemon for I wouldn't say grown ups.
Speaker 3: But people who don't play, don't play. It's Pokemon in a D and D like setting.
Speaker 5: Is the idea nerds like nerd Pokemon Pokemon nerdy nerdier.
Speaker 1: Okay, so okay, so wait, we have to talk about our cards. We we a dear listener. Ray made us these decks of magic, the Gathering cards. I don't really know everything else magically.
Speaker 5: Gathering is a collectible trading card gap. So the idea originally is that you you know, you you build a deck with a unique cards. There were only like four hundred when the first release. Now there's thousands and thousands and thousands, hundreds of thousands. But the idea is you can build a deck based around a theme or anything that you want, or a strategy that you want, and then that is your personalized deck. And so the rules kind of change based on what deck you're playing with. And then Ray, this incredible listener custom made cards built around our podcast and boy meets World references, so I haven't and they're beautiful and he and apparently they actually function it as real magic, the gathering cards.
Speaker 8: So we're going to try and play a little bit.
Speaker 2: And I don't know how to place.
Speaker 1: You guys are gonna kind of teach me, but we're jumping in as if I know.
Speaker 2: And you'll just teach me.
Speaker 3: That's already wrong. Okay, you're touching your cards wrong, No, just turn them so they're.
Speaker 5: Okay, Wait, where's your commander? Okay, commander stays out and Will's never played commander. But the basic gist of magic, the gathering. Okay, you are a wizard, embrace it, thou as wizard. This is us shopping, This is you shopping.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm a wizard.
Speaker 3: You're a wizard.
Speaker 8: And you meet on a plane with another wizard.
Speaker 3: Not a plane, but a plane like a dimension, a spiritual plan, a spiritual plane.
Speaker 5: All the time, William, he's not a wizard. And the this is your book of spells. Okay, and also again each other by casting spells. Yes, so we're we have a certain amount of life each and we are battling each other.
Speaker 3: Sure, it's gonna be a long night rider.
Speaker 5: But uh, we gain our magic from the land, so different our mana.
Speaker 8: Our mana is what gives us magic and the land, right.
Speaker 5: So some of these cards are going to be just land, and it's going to be a certain type of land, like well, that one's a bad one to plains, and that gives you white magic, right, and.
Speaker 3: White magic's good for healing, it's good for protection.
Speaker 5: Blue magic is islands, red magic is mountains, black magic is swamps.
Speaker 3: And then there's combo cards.
Speaker 5: So if you look at your if you look at your commander, it's probably a multiple colors, and those are the colors that.
Speaker 8: Are Your deck is white and blue, so you're a white and blue.
Speaker 3: I'm a red and blue deck. Will, I'm red and white, which is what I've always played my entire life.
Speaker 5: Okay, so your commander has special abilities. Your commander is basically the leader of your deck. It's like who you are as a person.
Speaker 2: I am Danielle, Arbiter of Chaos.
Speaker 5: There you go, Wow, really, I am writer, Eternal night Holder, and I'm Will Master of Merch.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Thats okay, shuffle out to seven cards, okay, and some of these should.
Speaker 3: It should be a mix.
Speaker 5: Of land from which you will gain your manner to cast or spells, and others will be spells that you can cast. Now, spells can be creatures, can you summon like a dragon or yeah, you look at.
Speaker 8: Them in your hand. You're not supposed to share them.
Speaker 5: But maybe we should just play open faced, start us off.
Speaker 3: We can't wow.
Speaker 8: Okay, by the way, hang on, it's like miss fish.
Speaker 3: I'm going back to my mom said I could stay till nine thirty.
Speaker 5: I know, so you gotta play fast, okay, so open, Yeah, let's just play open so we can talk about the cards, because I think our listeners are going to be way more interested in the actual cards that rake the six.
Speaker 8: Do you have feenie mentor of hope?
Speaker 7: I can wait.
Speaker 5: Let's call them out when we when we if we cast them, well, that's going to take a while because.
Speaker 2: We'll be here re organize these. I start.
Speaker 5: I have a couple of planes, sorry, so keep them set aside. You can only put one land down a turn, okay. And once a land is down, it is part of your your board, and that you can tap it like this by turning it sideways. And that means you've activated it during your turn, and when I tap this, I'm filled with the power of blue magic. And like if you look in the corner of every spell it has how much it costs to cast that spell.
Speaker 2: None of mine have those.
Speaker 5: Wait, your land comes in tapped always. No I'm saying, I'm just I'm just so you put your land on. You can only put one land down a turn, and so if I'm going first, I put my land down here, and then there's nothing I can cast for one island. Are starting with twenty card? No, with commander, you start with forty. Okay, yeah, I think that's right. No, suddenly my knowledge is questionable.
Speaker 8: But yeah, you have a lot more like it's it's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be a long night. Yeah, no, I know. We'll go quick, we'll go quick. I've told you this before. But I especially in those pajamas. Your chest hair is phenomenal. I just, I seriously want you to know that.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 8: But that's what I've never had chest hair.
Speaker 2: No, none, he is zero, no remarkable.
Speaker 3: I'm just no soft as a newborn baby's bottom. It's gross. There you go, my friend. All right, you were able to cast something I can put up a plane down.
Speaker 2: Sorry, how who goes first?
Speaker 3: I already went. We're going way. You're halfway dead. You've lost twenty points already. You can draw. You can draw on your first turn. Did you draw? I didn't draw.
Speaker 5: I just draw a card from your your library. That's your library draw card. You look at it, and then you're gonna want to put a land down during this turn, and then you have anything that costs one.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is one summer tan.
Speaker 9: What is it?
Speaker 2: You summer tan?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 8: Your summer tan. Yeah, this is an enchantment.
Speaker 5: Okay, no, no, no, no, no, sorry that planes and one other So you need if it has a symbol of.
Speaker 3: The yeah, so like see like this one at the top. See how it was two whites, So I need two whites to cast that.
Speaker 5: Okay, I look what does summer tan give you?
Speaker 2: Summer tan creatures?
Speaker 1: You get control plus one plus one must have just come back from Hawaii.
Speaker 3: He's a brilliant, all right. So you can't cast anything.
Speaker 5: So just put it on the plans, put it on your imagine the rest is in your hand, and put the planes down and you don't tap it yet.
Speaker 2: It's just there.
Speaker 3: Now it's my turn. I'm going I got.
Speaker 5: A mountain, I'm definitely gonna put Actually, look, I have a Pembroke University land, which is a specially oh. I can tap to add one mana of any color.
Speaker 3: That's did you draw to? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, and there's still nothing I can cast, so go ahead?
Speaker 3: Will all right? Weird to me? I am going to.
Speaker 2: What is what does needing two whites mean?
Speaker 7: Like this?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna do it right now. So I'm putting my second plane out. I'm drawing putting my second plane out.
Speaker 5: That means you gotta tap, and I'm asking my two planes and I am casting Jack Restorer of Order.
Speaker 8: My first hunter has entered the game two.
Speaker 3: He's a legendary creature. He's a human Knight is a two to two, which means he does two points of damage and can defend two points, and he's a first strike. This creature deals combat damage before creatures without first strike and when Jack Restore of Order enters the battlefield. If an opponent controls more lands than you, you may search your library for a plan's card and put it into the battlefield than shuffle, but nobody does, so I can still have it pretty powerful. It's a great card for just two. Yeah, so I am, I am done.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now I draw car.
Speaker 5: It's normally your upkeep phase first and then it's your draw face, but you have nothing to upkeep.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Then I lay my second plane.
Speaker 5: Sure sure, Now do you have any car that costs to or les.
Speaker 2: Noy?
Speaker 3: So that looks like a land. You guys all have this.
Speaker 2: This is a land the apartment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so you could put that down next turn?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's it all right.
Speaker 10: So then I'm going, Oh, I just drew the mailbox cherry bomb. Okay, I'm gonna put down a mountain and cast the mailbox cherry bomb.
Speaker 7: What is that? Is that?
Speaker 3: An instant down a mountaine?
Speaker 8: So I get to put down a land like every turn.
Speaker 5: So I had a mountain in my hand, so I taped the mountain. Now I tap Pembroke University and the island, which is one mountain and two others, and I cast the sorcery mailbox cherry bomb. Deals to damage to each creature your opponent's control.
Speaker 3: Oh you saw.
Speaker 5: Creatures you control must be able to block this turn of able, But.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter. Does your commander car do anything? He's not cast yet?
Speaker 8: Got sure she is not cast yet you have to cast them.
Speaker 3: Oh, we could have cast mine.
Speaker 5: Actually is cheap enough to have cast at this point?
Speaker 7: Gotcha?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And then then he stays over like almost like a global enchantment.
Speaker 5: It's no, they're just like another creature. But if they get killed, they go to the commander zone and then they cost more to bring back, so you can keep recasting the commander.
Speaker 3: So wait then, but mine doesn't have a basic So is it four at the bottom? Four lives? Is that what it is?
Speaker 5: Oh, you're yeah, it's a plans walker. That's a whole other category of creatures.
Speaker 8: So there are plans walkers. I didn't realize that sometimes there are creatures.
Speaker 3: On so to damage and I can't block. So my bye bye Jack. Oh the cherry bomb took out Jack. This is oh my god.
Speaker 8: Right, one hunter kills another.
Speaker 3: Are you done? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 3: I am already done. Uh oh oh yeah. I'm gonna cast with one one red, one white, and one other. I'm going to cast the legendary creature Eric the good looking Guy. Oh, it was a legendary creature. All creatures able to block Eric good looking Guy must do so. Whenever Eric good Looking guy becomes blocked by two or more creatures create a treasure token. Wow. And the quote at the bottom is when a crime breaks out, all the cute girls shout, get the.
Speaker 6: Good looking guy.
Speaker 3: Amazing casting Eric, good looking guy, and I am done.
Speaker 1: So when you guys cast, we all just sit here and nothing happens.
Speaker 5: It's it's like a chess game. It gets more and more complicated with you don't like watching us cast, Danielle, doesn't.
Speaker 2: I have a watchful eye. I don't understand what we're doing laying.
Speaker 7: It you keep.
Speaker 3: Separate, yes, okay, just any color?
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know what any of this means.
Speaker 3: Or you have three?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So you think I could cast this?
Speaker 3: Who's tap? Tap your Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, I tap.
Speaker 8: That's dabby, it's not tapping.
Speaker 3: Kind of get up with you? Excuse me?
Speaker 2: Certainly, I can't see.
Speaker 3: I can't see anything, by the way.
Speaker 1: Corey anxiety. Elemental creature, elemental spirit trample. This creature can deal excess combat damage to the player or planes walker. It's attacking.
Speaker 2: Haste.
Speaker 1: This creature can attack, and you can attack right now as soon as it comes under control.
Speaker 3: So put it out. How much is it also.
Speaker 1: At the beginning of the end step Exile Corey Anxiety Elemental, it's been two episodes.
Speaker 3: We are meant to be together. That's amazing. How much of what you just said did you understand?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 2: And event zero parts?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 5: So normally when you cast a creature that has summoning sickness, and it takes a turn before you can attack. But with haste you can attack right away. So you can attack me right away. He has a creature, so he could block you. So you want to attack me?
Speaker 2: I attack you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So to attack you have to shoot. He taps to attack, doesn't heah, so you have to tap to it. But how much is he worth? What's his power and toughness? There? Holy what? Six? I just took one? Am I reading that wrong? Or my eyes working? Grandpa? You are.
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 8: The Anxiety Elemental just took me off for six points.
Speaker 2: So what do I do with this now?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 3: To keep him? Because it says he goes back now he's got to go back at.
Speaker 5: The beginning of the end step Exile core So you get one turn with him?
Speaker 2: So do I put him off to the side.
Speaker 3: In your is it in your graveyard? Exiled? So you're done from the game. So that's exile and that's like you know, I mean, you know, I don't have to tell you that. Yeah, this is your graveyard and this is excellent. I mean come on, come on, yeah, this yes, exactly right. These are okay, these are homegrown, These are natural. Oh I'm gonna start.
Speaker 2: Talking in your life, thank you. These are zs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, come on, all right.
Speaker 5: I'm casting Feenie, Mentor of Hope, a legendary creature human advisor. Add one man out of any color if I tap him, spend this man on only on abilities or non creature spells. Okay, Oh, whenever I cast a spell with man of value of three or greater, I may pay one of if I do draw card.
Speaker 3: This Phoenie is awesome. That's actually very powerful and fitting for Feenie. All right, my turn, so here we go.
Speaker 1: So on my next turn, do I get to untap my lands?
Speaker 3: That you do your untapped upkeep and then draw phase. Those are the.
Speaker 2: What's upkeep.
Speaker 5: A lot of times stuff costs you have to pay for before you draw card, so you untap, then you have your upkeep phase, which some things reference it.
Speaker 3: But do I have to do sorceries. I can do sorceries, not like instance. I can do them anytime. Can I not turn on your turn? Yeah, I could do it after I cast, you can do it. I can cast a creature and then do a sorcery or before right turn. It's not an instant.
Speaker 8: You were playing in the age of interrupts too, which don't exist anymore.
Speaker 3: So what do I do with my interrupts?
Speaker 5: They can't count as instance now there's no difference, right interesting.
Speaker 9: Of course interruption the instant debuckle, you can't do you can't do it.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you can't instant on my that you can't do lightning, but lightning strike now I am going to uh oh no, I can't do that. So I'm gonna cast this because I was wondering that was That's a lot of act because I want the haste. I'm gonna do one in one other and I am going to cast the scurry of squirrels. Wow, which is it's a two two creature. It's a squirrel creature. It has haste. This creature can attack as soon as it comes. You had to like pull away from car. This happened within the last week. Can we talk about.
Speaker 5: How all three of us can we talk about how all three of us noticed that we had gray hairs in the same the same week.
Speaker 2: What is happening in the same zone right here?
Speaker 5: I was like, I just turned gray last week, and you guys away seriously, Well, I can I can't see anymore news.
Speaker 2: You won't see your grace.
Speaker 3: I can still riders hair. Wait do I control a gruid? Do wait? Is there a druid around? But think about this this. Okay, I'm gonna cast my scurry of squirrels and I got haste, so I'm gonna attack Daniel for two.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: You got too damage? Down to thirty eight? Oh wow?
Speaker 7: For more hours?
Speaker 2: Gosh?
Speaker 1: Okay, first I have to.
Speaker 3: Daniel's I don't think getting the tapping.
Speaker 1: Okay, my cards are obviously upside down. I keep putting them in. They are all upside down, and then I just keep turning them one by one. Okay, this is three white I could tap again, right.
Speaker 3: You can cast the three whites? Is that what? Because that's that's any color? Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: This is Trainy, the Tamer of badgers, a legendary creature, a human rangerdgers you control get plus two plus two and have trample. When Trainy Tamer of Badgers enters the battlefield, create two tapped three three green badger creature coke.
Speaker 8: And then it says, but oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: And then it says, U a quick arrow, like a fast.
Speaker 3: Little that's a tap symbol. You tap. These are tapped so that you can't use them right away.
Speaker 8: Don't do anything physical.
Speaker 3: That's what's great about this game. It's not a box, not box.
Speaker 1: Created green three three badger creature tooken two or one.
Speaker 2: It says, fast arrow.
Speaker 5: You can tap it to create a new one so she can keep creating badger's. Oh, she's gonna have a horde of badgers. She starts with two, starts with two for casting it, and then she can tap it.
Speaker 2: Every two tapped three trample.
Speaker 3: That's insane.
Speaker 8: Yes, and they all game plus two plus two.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: Oh, he built you a strong deck. He wants Danielle wants daniel.
Speaker 1: Tell me I have the best neck. He did tell me I had the strongest neck. So what do I do now?
Speaker 2: With one?
Speaker 5: Triny goes out, all right, so here, okayap no, yeah, and all the badgers have plus two plus two, so you have these are five to five with trample.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, five with trample. I am five five with trample.
Speaker 3: You little badger. I think Danielle is just humoring us at this point. I don't think she really.
Speaker 5: She really wants to play Wait till her third hour, right, right, that's what it really kicks in.
Speaker 8: You Really, we're supposed to become really fun.
Speaker 3: I mean, the excite sintilated, scintillated, it is. Wait till you play with somebody who you think after four hours when they pull a card and like I just gatined one hundred and thirty two life, and you're like, they have those game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or you have games your card like shuffle all your cards back into your start.
Speaker 3: And start the game over like okay, okay yeah.
Speaker 2: And you act like you have to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna need a lot more coaches.
Speaker 2: I don't want to play this any.
Speaker 3: We're gonna need round two of Abachi, all right.
Speaker 5: I got Chubby's Famous, which is a legendary land also can add any man of any color.
Speaker 3: So I'm putting that down.
Speaker 5: And I'm gonna give mister Feenie Mentor of Hope the jacket.
Speaker 2: The jacket.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the legendary artifact equipment and equip.
Speaker 5: Creature gets plus two plus two. If equipped creature is a rogue, noble, or pirate.
Speaker 3: It gains planes walk. He is just a human advisor at.
Speaker 5: The beginning of each end step unattached the jacket from equipped creatures, if you control a card named Riet Eternal night Holder, who is over there, but he's not cast yet.
Speaker 3: All right, all right here he is. Feenie's wearing the jacket.
Speaker 5: So we have just created a situation where mister Feenie is wearing Wow, so's.
Speaker 2: A young Feenie. Is this like our prequel?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Maybe, because he's a mentor of hope, so he could be Feenie at any stage in Oh.
Speaker 2: I picture Feenie wearing a turtle neck under the leather set.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm done.
Speaker 3: All right, it's chesty.
Speaker 1: So at the start of your turn, you have to untap all of your tapped things. Correct And why do you treaty tapped?
Speaker 8: Because she's just been summoned. You didn't use her.
Speaker 5: You tapping is like sort of using their abilities or using them for something, and you wouldn't use it. You just summoned her and she can't do anything when she's first summoned unless she has taste, which so Corey.
Speaker 3: Bas uh oh wait, I can cast put out a land I have not done.
Speaker 2: And I can use like summer Tan is two whites. I could do summer.
Speaker 5: And that's an enchantment, right, So an enchantment is sort of like a creature. It's like a magical spell that stays out and affects everything.
Speaker 6: I am.
Speaker 3: Bringing in a legendary creature, a human berserker, Alan the Navy Boxer.
Speaker 8: Wow, like backstory, Allan.
Speaker 3: Get her some great I'll tell you exactly what Alan's doing. My bifocals killed that a pair of glasses right now. Whenever I'm almost fifty, this amazing. Whenever Alan Navy Boxer deals combat damage to a player, untap all attacking creatures. After that combat phase, there is an additional combat phase.
Speaker 8: What I've never even heard of such a thing me neither.
Speaker 3: I can't attack a player it has already attacked this turn. And then the quote is I've been a parent for fifteen years, and I think I know a little better.
Speaker 2: It's a good quote.
Speaker 3: I can't read it.
Speaker 1: I've been a parent for fifteen years, and I think I know a little better.
Speaker 2: Than to trust my own goods.
Speaker 3: There you go. Wonderful job, you guys.
Speaker 8: You really learned a lot on our show about acting.
Speaker 2: I wasn't trying to act, and I was trying to write it.
Speaker 3: Obviously. You are you tapped out? What are you tapped out?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's all tapped out, but Trey's not tapped.
Speaker 3: She's trying to make.
Speaker 2: This into a first day untapped.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 3: Wait, but I'm not done yet. I'm deciding if I want to attack.
Speaker 8: You've done yet?
Speaker 2: Is this is the first time anybody's got to do more than just pull a card.
Speaker 5: And well, because he has creatures that were past last turn, so they can attack.
Speaker 3: I have plenty of attacking capability. I can't attack with Alex. I just put him out when I have my scurry of squirrels. Okay, so there, How big are they? Squirrels? Like this squirrel's taken on. He'll make me read and has a uh oh, you could have attacked last time? Wait, and I get plus one plus one. If there's any druids, which he's a human spot he's no, I have no I'm actually gonna hold off. You're scared. Those badgers are scary.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna untap, and then I have to drop the badgers get untapped too, Sure, sure I didn't know they were tapped. Yeah, okay, and then I have to draw a card yep, okay either, and then I have to look at what I have, like I can still do I could do summer tan. I don't know what the benefits are to doing anything versus doing nothing.
Speaker 5: What if?
Speaker 2: What if I just sit here and.
Speaker 3: You're in defensive mode?
Speaker 8: But you might want to attack because you have who do I attack with?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 8: Could you have the two badgers? You can create another badger?
Speaker 2: Wait, no one explained to me about it.
Speaker 3: It depends we can.
Speaker 8: I think you usually attack left and defend right.
Speaker 3: That's what you can also do melee. But yeah, we should just play. We should just but I don't think you can split attack. I think you should just No, no, no, you have to charge.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you guys have I'm at thirty four.
Speaker 3: And I'm still at forty.
Speaker 2: I have thirty eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, figure about But I've got a creature in it out.
Speaker 5: But I'm gonna I've got Feedie with the jacket on, so he's uh three five and you've got three three no five to double five fives, dude.
Speaker 3: So just just masak for one of us.
Speaker 1: Just come at us, senders, I send your send a badger at you.
Speaker 5: The army of badgers, but then you're open to his attack or later. So you gotta make this call.
Speaker 3: But I would just you also don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna send a badger at you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, five to five coming at me.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then what do I do?
Speaker 3: I just take it.
Speaker 2: You take it, okay.
Speaker 5: So I'm gonna take it, take it thirty one, all right, all right?
Speaker 8: I would also you can tire it.
Speaker 5: You're right, math English major, all right, so you can tab treny to create another badger too.
Speaker 3: But you could just wait.
Speaker 8: I'll just wait because you could do that anytime.
Speaker 3: Do you understand anything that's happening is getting it.
Speaker 5: She knows how to like, No, she's getting the order down. She knows how to pull from Jennifer. Yeah, it's not you know. Oh I got Ray of the podcast fan.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, is the legendary creature.
Speaker 8: I know he's an artifact creature, he's construct designer.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's cool.
Speaker 8: All right, Allien, I'm gonna I think I'm gonna cast.
Speaker 2: Drinkings and water yeah, so thirsty.
Speaker 5: We're falling apart here, guys, I feel like magic might not be holding your attention.
Speaker 8: So earnest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so thirsty.
Speaker 12: It's because we've been sweating for three hours.
Speaker 6: So hot.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this is a lot I don't know. But oh oh, I'm not gonna tell you anything about my crotcherati because it's I think we might have peaked.
Speaker 5: With no more jokes for the rest of our podcast.
Speaker 2: You guys, it's so hot.
Speaker 3: I'm so hot.
Speaker 2: Maybe my.
Speaker 3: Leather jacket. I'm going to cast riders.
Speaker 2: Oh you are, that's your commander.
Speaker 8: It's a legendary planes walker.
Speaker 2: So we just leave them here.
Speaker 3: Cast him?
Speaker 5: Okay, you couldn't cast him, yeah, because yours cost white.
Speaker 8: But I can cast rider. The Eternal nightholders a planes walker.
Speaker 5: So a planes walker is sort of like a version of you or a little It's like a creature, but.
Speaker 3: Like an a guitar.
Speaker 11: Is do we want to keep Do we want to keep going?
Speaker 3: Or is this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean again, should we? I'm so hot, I'm laughing. The Matthews have a window. There's no air conditioning in the Matthew's household.
Speaker 12: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Either the front yard or the side yard of the backyard.
Speaker 7: We don't care, so god clothes.
Speaker 5: Walkers are sort of like creatures another place. They have their own life, which is this little number over here, but they can add to it. You had onto it, and you can take those away sometimes to cast stuff.
Speaker 3: So on here, every turn, I can put one more.
Speaker 5: Counter on, which gives him five and onto him I can do one of these three things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can do one of these three things.
Speaker 5: I can take car I can take tokens away to do one of these abilities, or add a token to do that top ability. So all of our planes walkers have what does.
Speaker 3: It means though, plus or minus I don't understand the commander because I have plus two minus one minus six.
Speaker 5: So that's Those are actions you take, and every time you take that action, it either adds tokens.
Speaker 2: Or takes them away.
Speaker 5: So you can build up tokens and then you can take them away to do the special things. And at any time when you attack me, for instance, you can choose to attack him in diorectically me and then my creatures are trying to block to defend him. But you guys can get rid of him with only four points right now. So I have to like either buff him up by adding more shirt tokens, which is what they're called too much shirts. I can have too much shirts a shirt counter. Sorry, I call them tokens with their counters. Yeah, so you're gonna add counters or take counters away, and every time you do that, it.
Speaker 3: Does of those effects.
Speaker 8: Right, all right, that's all I'm doing.
Speaker 3: I cast Oh wait, I'm going to add it.
Speaker 5: A token to him, which allows me to draw a card. So he's actually five now, and I have to discarded guard. Wait, drawing card. The discarded card put a shirt pounter on rider internal nightler.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, damn hm, why are you stacking yours?
Speaker 2: Are those all the same types? Okay? Got it?
Speaker 5: These are planes?
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 2: I had my planes stacked, and you guys were like, support your planes.
Speaker 5: You have your planes on top of your legendary legendary yeah plane. Oh it's messy, it's just disturbing.
Speaker 2: Which is the legendary land this one?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, but I could stack these if I wanted. Great, okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: I've been bothered by my not being able to stack. Everyone else is stacking, okay.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to cast my legendary creature as well your plan.
Speaker 8: That's your your work, Master Merchan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so risky and two others.
Speaker 8: Excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually are multiplying, so it counts.
Speaker 3: For I plus two. I create two treasure tokens and then take target token you control becomes a copy of a Shiven dragon whoa yep and games at the beginning of the end step exile this creature.
Speaker 8: Oh so you turn your creature into a shiving dragon and then it.
Speaker 3: Dies, right, But a shiven dragon, remember, is fire breathing, so you can flying and plus as many as many mountains as you tap. So I tap seventeen mountains. It's plus seventeen plus seventeen. No, just the plus one plus just the power. Until the end of the turn. Whenever you sacrifice a treasure token, will Master Merch deals to two damage to each of up to any two targets.
Speaker 8: So it's so you're going to add a token to our counter.
Speaker 3: To which well I have to do plus two to add to tap two to add a token?
Speaker 7: Is that?
Speaker 6: How?
Speaker 3: No, you just take the tokens off.
Speaker 6: So he what does he?
Speaker 3: What does he start with? How many tokens? This is in the corner bottom corner.
Speaker 7: Four.
Speaker 5: So that's what he has on him right now, and you can take some away or put one. You can do his I can.
Speaker 3: Do his abilities. No, I'm just gonna keep the four on there for now. No.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's not gonna do anything.
Speaker 3: You could add another one on there, so there's four on so I can make it five, yeah, if you want.
Speaker 8: And then take whatever that ability is.
Speaker 3: What is his ability to Wait? What happens when you do that?
Speaker 8: When I do what when you add plus one seventeen?
Speaker 3: There is no there's plus two, minus one or minus six. So you could add plus two, so you can put two on there right now? Oh okay, and then I can't ability that. There's no created two treasure tokens. So you get two treasure tokens?
Speaker 2: Are they gold BA balloons?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: I think I don't understand this. This is where they lose me with the commander deck. I don't get this. So plus two create two treasure tokens. But that's not these two that I just put on.
Speaker 2: No, those are badgers.
Speaker 3: Just because we're using the same placeholder. We don't all have badgers. It's a whole bunch of badgers. I've got squirrels the room. The badgers are coming out of the l anybody else see a bunch of badgers? Missus fast, y'all?
Speaker 2: Did you do anything with I don't know what's happening Number seventeen.
Speaker 3: I officially don't know what's happening. So I'm gonna I'm gonna be good.
Speaker 2: All right, you're just gonna sit there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I think you get.
Speaker 8: Treasure tokens, but I don't know what to do with treasure.
Speaker 3: You know either, you know? Let me here are my two treasure to you read it. But it happened fast.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have to untap my badger. Yes, okay, I got an instant right now.
Speaker 3: You can use that. You can use that on your turn, or my turn, or anybody's turn. You can just in the middle of somebody else's turn, go, I'm gonna cast this and give you three points of damage or whatever that is.
Speaker 2: It doesn't tell me what it is.
Speaker 3: It's gonna tell you what it is.
Speaker 1: Prevent all combat damage that that would be dealt this turn.
Speaker 7: There you go.
Speaker 3: Okay, So somebody could say I'm attacking you for forty and you can go, I'm casting an instant, and I'm, you know, stopping all that damage from happening.
Speaker 2: For okay, so cool. And then and then these these you.
Speaker 3: Can only have a certain number of cards in your hands.
Speaker 2: No one told me.
Speaker 3: That, Yeah, to discard four, five, six, And she's got one extra, so she's fine. You just got to get rid of one. And what do we do? Can I get rid of it?
Speaker 2: Okay? Okay? So how can I have never seen a blue? I have no blues?
Speaker 3: This is a blue right here?
Speaker 8: Well right, no blue land. I think she means, Oh, I have.
Speaker 2: All these things that like I need some blood. What are these?
Speaker 1: This says two two, and then three snowflakes with whites behind it.
Speaker 3: Okay, so those are those are planes?
Speaker 5: And then I don't know what those planes with the two over that's a plane.
Speaker 3: What it's like a.
Speaker 2: It's like a Yin yang symbol, but with a two and a snowflake.
Speaker 5: It's a plain symbol but with a two over it. So I don't know what that means exactly.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think it means it's three four, five whites and four others. Essentially, it's what they're saying. Okay, don't you think.
Speaker 8: No, because wouldn't that just be five points.
Speaker 3: And but what the hell does the split mean? I don't know. I have one too. The split usually means that you can choose one of the others. That's what it is.
Speaker 5: So it's it's like you can either tap two non white or one white to cast that those.
Speaker 1: So instead of having to get rid of one, shouldn't I just use my summer tan, which is two whites. Yeah, since I can do that, I tap these in order to do that, And I'm now enchantment creatures I control get plus one plus one.
Speaker 2: Damn this isle right, the same way trainy is.
Speaker 5: It's not on the on the battlefield, but it's not part of the.
Speaker 1: Creature okay, And these are stay tapped as long as this is out, just until my next.
Speaker 5: And so now these are all worried. You don't want to be done because you might want to what.
Speaker 3: Six six they're all six six badgers? Do you want to attack somebody for twelve points of damage with your badgers?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to get you out. I attack you?
Speaker 3: Do you mean rider? Rider? Or rider? With all the shirts shirt token shirt token?
Speaker 2: So what do I do about that?
Speaker 3: How do I tap?
Speaker 7: Tap?
Speaker 2: Tapping?
Speaker 3: And then you have to say, I'm attacking you for twelve points.
Speaker 2: Of dacking you for twelve points.
Speaker 3: Of damn because I am the sorceress of the I.
Speaker 2: Am the sorceress, sorceress of the.
Speaker 3: Ship sorcerss of the of the night. That's what you have to say. According to.
Speaker 7: Say, I'm.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, So treaties badgers just detect Writer the shirt guy.
Speaker 2: So what happened to you? What happened to him? I lost? How many I can block?
Speaker 8: I can block with with Phoenie wearing the jacket.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I'll do that and let Phoenie die. Is the jacket eye to.
Speaker 5: No, the jacket is equipment, so it goes off and then I can re equip it onto a nice onto a creature.
Speaker 2: Did I get rid of enough cards? Two six seven?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're good.
Speaker 2: Writer always remembers to untap before he pulls.
Speaker 3: It's really becomes habit. I can't read any of I need one person, one person with eyes worse than mine, who was a pair of glasses. The funny thing is, I make fun at you every time she puts on her glasses, but I don't think I'm actually looking at her when I do it, because I can't see, all right, I'm going to cast emotional reflection him. It's a very shorn thing. Thank you very right. That's what we met. It's a creature.
Speaker 8: It's an incarnation wall who's a defender zero one prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to emotional deflection by humans.
Speaker 3: Emotional deflection may block an.
Speaker 5: Additional creature each combat, so that means I can block multiple creatures, and if they're humans, they do nothing because I am.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, don.
Speaker 5: Let me add another token to another shirt counter to a rider, so he's up to six.
Speaker 2: Why did you? I don't know what that means.
Speaker 3: You don't you're the mistress of the Height or whatever I said.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm not done.
Speaker 5: I'm also going to cast Corey Bread thief oh zero four, legendary creature, human rogue.
Speaker 3: They want you to take the rolls.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I can tap get he gets plus one negative one until the end of turn.
Speaker 3: If I tap whenever Cory Bread he feels damage to a player.
Speaker 5: Create a food token. I know what a food token is. I'm not sure what treasure. Treasure I think is you tap for two manna.
Speaker 3: I still don't know what's happenings the standard thing these days. They lost me when when phasing started I stopped playing. MM are you done? No, I got a discard, but yeah, you can go ahead. He let's do it all right?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 3: Has it been six rounds? Is a soliloquy round? So you've got to Now you've got you've got to stand up to dab twice meant spin and.
Speaker 12: Then spin your feet.
Speaker 3: Onto the world.
Speaker 7: That's what you do.
Speaker 3: You go like, I toss my.
Speaker 9: Faces top and let us down like and you flip.
Speaker 3: What happens? It's magic, Guscott. Now you sing the song. Come on, let's gold. Let's that's right. Oh, yes, how we keep going?
Speaker 2: I want to try to use my commander once.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I'm going to cast Jason Marsden.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, it's what.
Speaker 3: He's on the podcast.
Speaker 2: He makes it.
Speaker 3: Strangely enough, he costs more than the other one.
Speaker 2: The turn on your light.
Speaker 3: Man size first strike the creature dictature deals combat damage before creatures without first strike target. If I tap him, target creature gets plus one plus zero and haste until the end of turn. Wow, it's a pretty good card.
Speaker 5: M G.
Speaker 3: Let me do here? Are you tapped out. She has one man left one no, no, no, but what her creatures is just trainees left right? Yeah, and she's what zero?
Speaker 2: What one of two?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: One to make more mouth noises the incitement.
Speaker 8: Of magic together, we are a podcast, dude, magic and.
Speaker 2: Your mouth flaps her mouth.
Speaker 3: It's the old Man Mountain. Jesus, it's warming here. They could stop. I'm gonna have Alan attack Danielle. He's four to four and whenever he attacks, whenever he attacks, I'll read it for you. Whenever Alan Navy Boxer deals combat damage to a player untapped all attacking creatures. Oh, that's right, and then I can I tell you it. You attacked twice?
Speaker 2: So what happened to me?
Speaker 3: You're attacking her? I'm attacking Danielle with just Alan, Yes, and he gets pluss. He's just four to four and you get to attack twice if I want to.
Speaker 2: So what happens? What do I do?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 3: You can block with triny and she dies. Yeah, you don't take any damage or you take the damage.
Speaker 2: What's the damage?
Speaker 3: Four points?
Speaker 1: And so then I would go from thirty eight to thirty four. I'll take the damage. There you go, Okay, I take it.
Speaker 3: Do the damage hand shake.
Speaker 7: But now.
Speaker 8: But now you can tap in the back again.
Speaker 3: I can, but I'm gonna tap and used to block. Can I do that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, are you done with your turn?
Speaker 6: I'm done.
Speaker 2: Okay, I am untapping my badgers.
Speaker 3: Unless you have to attack again. I don't think it says it's.
Speaker 1: And I'm untapping my planes and then I'm gonna draw a card. And I pulled the planes. I can put a planes down, Yes you can. Okay, I put a planes down, some basic planes, and then I'm going to I'd like to use my commander because I want this game to end, and I said I would do it after this command, I'd use the commander.
Speaker 2: So I have.
Speaker 1: I'm a legendary planes walker, a human director. If Danielle is your is in your commander's zone, you may skip your first draw step of the game. If you do, search your library for a basic land and put it into the battlefield tapped.
Speaker 3: Oh that would have been good to know before we started playing.
Speaker 2: Oh well, he told me.
Speaker 3: No, right, but she doesn't have She still can't cast that because she doesn't have any ocean. She does there any land. It doesn't say it's blue.
Speaker 8: Yeah, she needs blue, so you can't cast that.
Speaker 3: But you could have. You could have searched your deck when we.
Speaker 5: Started and put an island into play. It sounds like, well, that's like what she.
Speaker 8: Does, so you would have already had a blue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he would have had a blue in the play just for having her in your commander zone.
Speaker 3: I guess that's why they call it the blues.
Speaker 2: Right, So anyway, I can't do anything with her now, I think.
Speaker 5: If we, if we he would have had an island, go ahead and put it ahead and put an island out because apparently, and then.
Speaker 3: If you can somehow do forty points to damage to me, that would be great.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have an island, here's a here's a I put this out right, all right, but.
Speaker 5: In a plus one counter on on her until your next turn, draw card, whatever.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, captain. I good guy.
Speaker 5: Whatever you want to war creatures, decks you control return to your target. Oh yeah, you can return creatures to their hand, and then you gain control of all creatures on the battlefield for.
Speaker 12: Negative aid on This guy just wanted Daniel danielle Yes, all right, the back of anyone else's knees, sweaty like literally the back of my knees are sweating, I.
Speaker 1: Know, because we're squished tight hot room and flannel. Anyway, this was fun, guys.
Speaker 3: So that's magic and with the magic check, Yeah, soaking, I'm soaked. I'm soaked, You're soaking.
Speaker 5: It make more mouth sounds easton left.
Speaker 1: So this game, it's just for fifteen hours, can last better?
Speaker 5: Your normal sixty card games can only sometimes last five minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know usually when you're get good, they can go fast.
Speaker 5: But yeah, the whole point is to have like you know, I mean, you know, poker nights, Yeah, last forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the same thing, except there's no money exchange.
Speaker 1: L and we just I guess you're we can't see the other people's cards normally, not that it made any difference, but like it's kind of like.
Speaker 5: And everybody's decks do that, and it's about the creativity of like, like you know, you create decks based on.
Speaker 3: How sweaty you are. Themes. This guy literally created badgers. You just you can. Oh, those badgers are my badges? You had blue?
Speaker 6: I have green.
Speaker 2: I didn't have any badgers.
Speaker 3: You do have badgers, Oh you don't have any, No, you'll have white they'll give you extra whites. I'm sure in there there's empty white cards, like I had a bunch of empty greens. All right, Well, this is magic, the.
Speaker 2: Gas, magic, the gathering.
Speaker 1: Saying magic for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets Magic. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: And uh, we have merch.
Speaker 3: Magic March the gathering.
Speaker 6: We have to come.
Speaker 11: The gathering has begun.
Speaker 6: The gallery has ben.
Speaker 1: Podmeetsworldshow dot com writer, Send us a.
Speaker 3: Pod dismissed? What's dismast paper diss just this mast?
Speaker 5: Podmeats World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Taras Ubasch producer, Mattie Moore engineer and Boy meets World Superman Easton Out.
Speaker 8: Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon.
Speaker 5: Follow us on Instagram at podmets World Show or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com.