Speaker 1: I'm Matt Miller and I'm Hannah Elliott, and this is hot pursuit.
Speaker 2: All right. We finally get to talk about the nine to eleven hybrid that you drove, finally, and I'm excited to talk about that because you know how much I loved the hybrid Corvette that I drove. They're different animals, but they're inevitably going to be compared, and I think it's exciting. I also want to talk about a couple of roadsters that I've driven back to back. One, the Mercedes A AL sixty three was over two hundred thousand dollars, but it is a two door four seed convertible with a V eight. And now this week I'm driving another two door four seed convertible with a V eight that costs substantially less, the Mustang GT. It's only sixty grand, and I feel like it's a lot more fun than the MRC.
Speaker 1: I am not surprised to hear you say that in the least.
Speaker 2: But we'll get to that tracks. We also are going to cut the Rivian, not only the Rivian deal with Folkswagen, but more interestingly, like a deep dive into the origin story of Rivian and the CEO personally RG Scaringe, and how he's run this business kind of in obscurity for most of the time he's been doing it and now like all of a sudden he was a massive success and then now kind of a stock market failure. We have Max Chafkin from business. We can talk to us about that. So let's get straight to the nine to eleven. Now you can tell us how bargo is lifted. How was it? You know what?
Speaker 1: It was awesome, And the hybrid was the least interesting thing about it. It's kind of like a nothing burger. It's like, yeah, it's slightly faster, it's slightly more powerful. I would challenge you to get in that car blindfolded and tell me that you know it's a hybrid. The GTS, of course, is an existing line in the nine to eleven portfolio. This new GTS it happens to have lost a turbot charger and gained an electric and emotor that they've attached to a single bigger turbo charger. That's got them a little bit more horsepower. It's got them a little quicker speed of zero to sixty. But honestly, this is going to be like a nine to eleven that you know and love already. It's it's firmly in the middle of the lineup handles. Great. There are some differences in the cabin though that I would say, those to me were bigger deals than what's under the hood. Starting with they've removed the faux key on the ignition, so instead of on the left side turning the key, it's now a push button start.
Speaker 2: That's weak sauce.
Speaker 1: Which two I mean. I think they had announced that that was going to be the case, but I hadn't realized that. And I get in the car and I go to turn it on and there's nothing there, and I'm hitting the dashboard and then I realized, oh, it's a button. It was very it was shocking.
Speaker 2: I would prefer, frankly, and then maybe it's just a sign of my age. I would prefer to have a real key that you put in the addition to the left of the steering wheel. It would solve a lot of the problems I have at parking garages. I always forget to leave the key for the attendant. And also it's like a cool way of mechanically interacting with your vehicle. But I guess they don't really care about that.
Speaker 1: More people care, for sure. And I did ask Frank Moser about it from Portia, and he said, look, if enough people hate it, maybe we can go back and you know, take it out for another generation and put in the faux key again. But I doubt it. The other thing I think that really you tell me how you feel about this. They've removed the back seat. So now for nine to eleven Carrera and Carrera GTS models, the back seat does not come standard. You can select it as a no cost option. But if you do not make that selection in the configurator, no back seat for you. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: I don't love it. I mean, I'll say this, it looks cool to me if I see a car like a nine to eleven that has no back seat. I think it's cool when people option no back seat in that vehicle. But I think the back seat should be standard. It's part of the history of nine to eleven that it has four seats, right. The back seats weren't really usable anyway, except for in a pinch, and I had a nine to eleven for a long time. There are times when you just have to squeeze another person in the car and it helps to have that. If you don't have a back seat, it makes it really a lot more illegal to drive somebody around in the back in most jurisdictions, right, And also it's like a nice place to rest things. They look good sah. I think, you know, unless you're going for like the racier like GT three look with the paf cage, I think I'd rather have seats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, This to me feels like a very brilliant cost cutting move by Portie. And if there's anybody who can cut car, it's a Schwabian because they kind of they know that people will freak out if you have to pay more for a back seat, so but they also know that if that most people they may not select it. If you have to actually push a button and select it and go through the whole thing, maybe people won't select it. So it's like they can save some money on installing seats that nobody wants anyway, quote unquote, but they save themselves the public uproar of this huge announcement that now they're going to charge you for something that you didn't used to have to pay for. So it seems mary clever.
Speaker 2: There's so many two plus twos that are doing it now. Yeah, you know, from the lowly Dodge Challenger they offer a no cost option to get rid of the seats, and a lot of those trim levels to the UH. I noticed the new AMGGT either come standard with no back seats or can be option with no back seats. Of course, the new AMGGT now is a four seater like the SL sixty three. But I guess those are cost cutting measures, and I've noticed them coming at Portie for a long time. They dropped the emergency brake, they dropped the key in the ignition, and now they dropped the backseat. Now they're getting rid of actual gauges. I mean, all of these wonderful, full little luxury touches, they don't really give you anymore. Yeah, those things bugged you about it? What about the gauges? What do you think about the experience?
Speaker 1: That's a really good back gauges. You know, I think it's going to use that word again. I think it's going to be a little bit polarizing because now the cabin in the nine to eleven has no analog gauges. There is a curved screen behind the steering wheel where the five gauges used to be with the tech in the center that is now replicated on a screen digitally, and then there's a screen in the dashboard. So this truly is the most you could definitely argue it's the most modern version of the nine to eleven for sure. It's like pure screens now. Obviously this goes back to just what we were speaking about before with the whole I'm not convinced screens are going to age amazingly well, and I know that I'm not the only one, because Bentley just announced that their Sharon successor, the Turbion, very deliberately is mostly analog on the inside, and it's because they think that this car will look better on concor Lons, you know, fifty years from now with analog gauges rather than computer screens. That I kind of agree.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, this isn't another case of corporate decisions that are good for the bottom line in quarterly earnings but are bad longer term. You know that Oliver Blooma also knows screens aren't gonna age. Well, you know that Frank also knows that screens aren't going to age. Well. Everyone knows that screens aren't gonna age well because they never have. Look back at cars that have screens in the last ten or twenty years, and they look horrible. And Portia knows they're gonna look horrible in the future, but they put them in to sell them now and to make the bottom line the quarterly earnings look better. And I just think they'll rue. Well, no, I don't think they'll rue that decision. The buyers will. And but it doesn't matter because as long as the stock does well, I'm not complaining about capitalism.
Speaker 1: But well, and you know what, the car drives amazing.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The thing is that Porsia never had a problem with responsiveness anyway. But in the Corvette, the edition of the electric motor and on the Corvette is on the front axle, really helps it instantly accelerate. Porsia already did that. But do you not hear any of the electric motor at all? Do you not hear any of the sort of fighter jet.
Speaker 1: Were Honestly, I did not. Maybe when you get in the car you will hear it. I truthfully did not hear it. I don't know if I could have gotten in and without seeing anything known that I was in a hybrid. I didn't you know, maybe you'll get in here something that I didn't hear, but no, it's it's really imperceptible.
Speaker 2: I have been.
Speaker 1: And let's not forget this is a mild hybrid. It's not a plug in. There's no electric only driving, So you know, it really is a very very subtle change, a subtle advance, if you will.
Speaker 2: All right, So I just want to finally ask about the biggest omission of all and hear your take on it. Because the GTS was the trim line that you could get with a stick shift, That was the true driver's car. Someone who cares about driving a car really and doesn't want to use flappy paddles went for the GTS so that he didn't have to or she didn't have to have the turbocharged engine and the automatic transmission. Now, Portia is not offering any stick shifts in the twenty twenty five model line, and definitely not in the GTS, not even next year in the GTS. Right, it's not coming, not in the GPS, not in the GTS. So how do you think that does for this trim level which you chose for the stick.
Speaker 1: Well, times are changing now. The trim level is the hybrid thing there. I asked them about that too, they, of course, a just wait, you know, there are other variants coming out, there are other things happening, just wait, just wait. So I do. I do. I'm fully confident that we'll have other opportunities to be in manual nine to ninety two dot two vehicles, if you ask my opinion, Yeah, it'd be nice just to have the option of a manual, just like we always say. But honestly, frankly, I have at least I can say I don't need a manual. And I'm assuming that probably most drivers who drive an hour to work every day, if they're driving there nine to eleven for that purpose, I'm sure that they're very happy to have those flappy paddles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess commuters. Maybe commuters. I just know that I have usually more fun in a manual.
Speaker 1: For sure. I do. Well. I love the st I mean that was like my favorite car, but.
Speaker 2: Of course you have to have one to be on a list, and all right, So yeah, I think I like the design the nine nine to two point two a lot, so I think it looks better than the nine nine to two point one, but I like it. Yeah, so all right awesome. You should check out on Bloomberg dot com Hannah's article on the new nine to eleven GTS after she got to go to Marbia to drive it. I want to quickly talk about these two roadsters because I had, please, I think, pretty high hopes for the Mercedes AMG SL sixty three sixty three, and in some ways it delivers. I mean, it's an extremely powerful V eight that sounds amazing. Obviously there's no stick available for this either, because Mercedes has just abandoned that customer. But it's like the same as the GT now. You know, the AMGGT is just the hard top version and the SL sixty three is the ragtop. I like a ragtop.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: They both have four seats unless you option the back seat out. They both have all wheel drive now, which they never had before, and I like all wheel drive. I don't mind if it's heavy. It's a grand tour. It's not supposed to be a sports car. But I will say the price, at over two hundred thousand dollars, I'd probably rather have a Porsche. And the responsiveness is not there. There's like a for some reason, just a ton of turbo lag. You put down the pedal and you can start counting before the engine spurs, spools up and goes and then everything is operated by the screen. And I don't know why they do this. I guess because they start designing the car five years ago and then they come out with it last year. But like even the putting the top up and down, you pretty much have to use the screen. I figured out a cheat if you double push a button, you can do it. But it's it's not great in that sense, but you know, for I mean, I'm not gonna be disapointed with two hundred thosand dollars car. Right, it's luxury. I mean it's luxury. I mean seat leather. Yeah, the design looks great.
Speaker 1: I mean is the best, the most luxurious interiors of you know, before you get into Rolls Royce range.
Speaker 2: It wasn't for me comfortable, but I have a weird maybe bird body type of the seats. I'm just not getting a lot of leg room. And I was more comfortable in the Corvette, which is a weird thing to say. And also, by the way, don't ever test drive a sports car or a GT car after you drove the Corvette E Ray because that thing was more responsive, like it was accelerating before my foot touched the pedal, and this thing and anything else isn't compared to that. But yeah, so I still really enjoyed driving it for a week. But then last night I got into this Ford Mustang. Not even the dark Horse. It was the GT the convertible, not even the manual transmission. I don't know what the PR is thinking when they give a journalist, you know, the automatic. But it's cool that I got to compare it back to back with the Mercedes because they're both automatic. As I said, two door four seaters with V eights. It was a blast. It's so much fun and it only costs sixty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The sound is much more offensive in a good way, like a high schooler would be super psyched to drive this car. The top goes down like faster and easier, less complicated.
Speaker 1: It just sounds simple and easy.
Speaker 2: Because it's meerwheel drive. I could break the back wheels loose on every you know, highway entry and exit. It's just like a hooligan's car. And I also take over you with it. I take issue with people now who say it's just a sports car. The Mustang, it's no longer a muscle car. It really feels muscle like you can feel the engines in the front. It's it's a heavy vehicle. I think it's like a four thousand pound vehicle. And it's like cheap and fast.
Speaker 1: How is the sound system?
Speaker 2: The sound system on both is okay? Now that one's great. The Mercedes has the Burmester and people rave about it, but it's not that great, frankly, and and on the Mustang, it's the first time that I really felt like, yes, I don't mean to listen to the radio because I only want to listen to the motor. Like why this morning I drove to work, it was raining, I still put the top down and didn't listen to the radio on my commute.
Speaker 1: I think you just unlocked another level. I think you just reached another It.
Speaker 2: Could be I usually I hate it when people say that, you know, because I like a good stereo, and I'm sure if I live with the car and want a good stereo, and to be honest, almost no factory stereo is good, so I'm sure it's not that great. But the vehicle is just a blast to drive. It makes you feel like a little kid again, is the thing. It makes me, fifty year old man Miller, feel like, you know, an eighteen year old kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're smiling, and there is something to be said for you can get a whole lot of car and have it. Sounds like just as much fun with something a lot cheaper and a lot simpler and just something just easy. So why, I mean, why go through the expense of getting the big expensive thing I can relate to.
Speaker 2: That I don't know perfect sense, And frankly, now that I've driven both, when I see somebody in a Mercedes AMGSL sixty three, I'm gonna be kind of making a character judgment.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, you could have had maybe more fun spending sixty grand, but you felt it necessary to spend two hundred and nine thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The suspension is another thing that I mean. It's not amazing on the Mustang GT either, but I thought it was gonna be insane. On the Mercedes AMG SL sixty three, it was bouncy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I go to work at five in the morning, so I fly down the Bronx River Parkway and then even faster down the west Side Highway and okay the roads.
Speaker 1: Now, were you in the right were you in sport mode? Sport plus?
Speaker 2: I mean our sport Plus than track. I was only in Sport Plus and track to make sure Mercedes. Yeah, and you know, I don't stay in track because that keeps the gears really low when you don't need it. So Sport plus is I find it good. But the suspension was just bouncy, bouncy, bouncy in that car, and I was surprised because I thought it was gonna be much better in the Mustang. I didn't have such high expectations, you know.
Speaker 1: You know the counterpoint to that is if you were just coming out of a Corvette, that is a pretty stiff suspension and a pretty stiff car, so probably to get into anything would feel rather That's true.
Speaker 2: I thought about that as well. But the Corvette suspension is so good that you don't it's it's not bouncy and it's not too jarring, you know, it's not. I I wasn't breaking teeth in it, so it's not like my you know, my neighbor has this BMWM for gts that thing like if you even think about hitting a speed bump. It hurts already. You feel like you might have broken something in the car, or like a nine to eleven GT three. Right, you don't want to You don't want to be in that car on a regular basis if you value your spine. It was perfect.
Speaker 1: No, I need to change the subjects a little bit and ask you a very pressing question. Yes, this has to do with spying used cars, or you know, more euphemistically vintage cars. I found myself out at Beverly Hills Car Club, which is neither in Beverly Hills nor car club. It's out in.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 2: I've always no, I've always thought that's like the Manhattan Classic Car Club. I've always thought that people gather that love cars and test different vehicles.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, these these cars are very much caveat and tour vehicles. You you have to assume all risk when you go there. Just fun.
Speaker 2: Twenty years I've been looking at cars from and I thought, Wow, they have such a good collection. The members must really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, this question goes right in line with what I'm trying to say, is I did see a very cool Rolls Royce variant there and priced to sell. The one thing is the trunk doesn't open. So how do you feel about purchasing a vehicle priced accordingly? I should say, but the trunk doesn't open? And this brings up too things. What's in the trunk? Number one and number two? Are you gonna want some storage space in that trunk at some point?
Speaker 2: But I mean, don't you think you would eventually be able to open the trunk? Can you get into a roll trunk through the back seats or no?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. No, not this one. I mean yes, once once purchased, I could, you know, take it down to Charlie and see if you can crack it open.
Speaker 2: I mean, I wouldn't care if it's priced accordingly. The trunk opening is the least of my worries in buying a car like that. I would be much more concerned about the maintenance cost. What are you gonna have to repair? How much is it going to cost you to run every year? The trunk I don't even care. Like, you have a big backseat and you don't have any body necessarily a put back there except for the dogs, So yeah, I think you.
Speaker 1: Know, I kind of like looking in the trunk though, and pulling up the upholstery to look, you know, to see what's been spray painted.
Speaker 2: Over and what has Oh, you're a good car.
Speaker 1: Bin trusted or you know what has been quote unquote fixed. You know, it is a really good indicator if there's been any incidents in the car? Is there bondo? You know that sort of thing. So there's a little bit of a risk, right, But you're saying, never mind.
Speaker 2: That, I wouldn't bother me. I would probably tell the good people that run the Beverly Hills Car Club, I would like to buy this car. Can you is there any way for you to figure out how to open the trunk?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Can we get a crow bar and pry this baby open?
Speaker 1: Because let's figure it out together.
Speaker 2: I saw another suitcase of money or drugs. Stephen, did you read the Key Bard's autobiography.
Speaker 1: Life, My Life Life?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's an amazing story. And he gets pulled over in a car that's packed with cocaine and the cops don't even get to it.
Speaker 1: Bentley, what didn't he drive? Did? He's say in that book A Bentley saved his life multiple times because he crashed it.
Speaker 2: He would crash him and he did. But the car he was driving across the US when he got pulled over, like in the middle of the country with a drug filled vehicle was not a Bentley, and he actually, I think got out of it because the judge was a Stones fan. But I highly recommend that book, especially for car people, because there's a lot about hicles. The Beverly Hills Car Club also had a Bentley Continental R, which you know I lost after those I think it was nineteen ninety three. Those at the time was I think the most expensive car you could buy, and it looked beautiful to me, only twenty two grand, but that's probably gonna because it's going to cost you like fifty a year to run. I noticed in that one also, there were actually holes cut in the trunk. Did you see that?
Speaker 1: No? I didn't. I didn't look through all the photos. No, yeah, no. And I didn't open the trunk on that one either. I did see that car, of course, but no. So that's interesting.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I learned a lot today. Let's learn a little bit more about Rivian. We have Bloomberg Business Week reporter Max Chafkin. He's going to join us talk about his story with Ed Ludlow on Rivian.
Speaker 1: Let's listen in Max, it's so good to have you here. You wrote a really fabulous story about Rivian, and really I thought put into great relief how Rivian has emerged as kind of the antithesis to Tesla, and maybe even r J is the antithesis to Elon and I think too. We've talked about how there's a product story and there's a business story. So I'd love to just hear from you how you see that play out for Rivian.
Speaker 3: Look coming from the outside, and I am not. I'm not like even a car person, although I do own two cars. But you know, from my point of view, coming from the outside of this story, you have kind of a product story and a stock story, and that's true. I actually had Tesla as well. But you know, the product, this luxury pickup truck and very large suv, you know, has built a sizeable following. I think you know that you can debate, like how good is it on its own terms? Is it really a good value? But like they're selling actually like a substantial quantity of these things selling more than you know, comparative cars. You know, it's like it's like a solid business in a lot of ways. It has fans. There's this interesting culture of fandom where you have lots of like kind of disaffected Tesla owners, people who own a Tesla but are really excited about a Rivian because because it doesn't necessarily come with all the baggage of Elon Musk or whatever. And then you have a stock story and a business story that has just been essentially disastrous for years. Right this this is a company went public twenty twenty one, I think in retrospect kind of the very height of the kind of pandemic fueled bubble in evs. For like a hot second there in like November twenty twenty one, it was the most valuable or second most valuable car company in the United States, and it just has gone like pretty much straight down until very recently striking this deal with Volkswagen. But even even with the deal that has struggle with Volkswagen, the stocks still down like ninety percent. It's been a disaster, which is kind of interesting because you know, on one hand, you would think that like Elon Musk going out there and kind of making a fool of himself on social media and doing all sorts of things that have undermined Tesla that that would create a real opportunity for Rivian, and it has, although I don't know that Rivian has fully managed to take advantage of that opportunity just yet.
Speaker 2: Well, they can't, like because they can't a they can't produce as many cars. Let's put some numbers on it, right, Tesla is gonna sell roughly two million cars this year, right, Rivian is gonna sell what like fifty.
Speaker 3: Thousand something like that. Yeah, and now I think it's slightly or of what they would say is, oh, it's it's actually not quite as bad as it sounds because we had to shut down the factory for retooling. Of course, Tesla has lots of excuses that they offer like that, but yeah, it's essentially like, but they'll sell maybe fifty sixty tops totally.
Speaker 2: Last year they sold fifty sixty tops yep. And Tesla's gonna sell two million, give or take. Last year they sold two million give take By the way, uh, Tesla's worth nine hundred billion dollars. Rivian at its height was worth one hundred and fifty billion dollars and they've been literally decimated. Like the definition of that, They're worth one tenth of what they had been.
Speaker 1: So I mean, so why the space between they do have a fan base and the stock. Why is there such a big divide?
Speaker 2: I have to think part of it, max is that they just can't make enough. Like if they could make more, they could sell more. So production is a huge problem for well, Okay, so.
Speaker 3: I think there are I think really and this is true, I mean, doing the story and you know, I also we post a podcast elon Ink which we talk about this every every week. It's a sister podcast, if you will, of Hot Pursuit. Sorry to get the plug in, I like, but but anyway, we talk about this all the time, and I think really like the ev market, like everyone kind of agrees, policymakers, governments probably like some there's some auto automotive enthusiasts who would beg to differ, but like, essentially this is the future, Like all the cars are going to go this way, you know, by twenty thirty or whatever in certain states and local localities, like you're not gonna be able to sell a conventional car.
Speaker 2: And we hope that's not true and that those things change. Yeah, no, clear.
Speaker 3: My point is though that's the goal. A lot of people kind of agree on that goal. But like getting there we are. There's a golf and the golf is essentially affordability, and like I think, what what happened with Rivian? Yes, the production issues are problem and that's part of the reason they're losing so much money. Is that they have this like giant factory that's an old Mitsubishi factory in central Illinois, and and like it's it has a capacity of one hundred and fifty thousand vehicles. They're making fifty sixty. Like you said, that's creating losses. But the real problem is they're selling a seventy minimum seventy thousand dollars you know, three row suv and there is just like a limited audience in a world with high interest rates and where there's you know a bit of a backlash against evs, where you know, I think about this my own life, right because like I drove, you know, I drove the truck and I think it's awesome. I think it's I think it's cool. It made me want to maybe maybe want to drive it. Maybe you know, it can accelerate really fast, Like I again, like.
Speaker 2: I'm not it's luxurious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it reminded me, No, it's not. This is gonna Okay, this is gonna. I'm gonna reveal you didn't want to talk about the product. Okay, I'm gonna. I'm gonna talk.
Speaker 1: About the product. I just didn't want to start with that. Okay.
Speaker 3: Well, I have a point here, which is essentially though when I actually started thinking about it, you know, you're talking about, like I said, minimum seventy thousand, so probably more like eighty whatever, eighty five. There's gonna be some tax credits, but like this is a big chunk of change, and you could get a really nice, brand new Lexus for like twenty thousand dollars less than that, and with you know that also has three rows, and that is a Toyota product. It's gonna be easy for you know. And it's just like even if you're in.
Speaker 2: There with a gas engine, to be clear, yeah, with a gas engine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But but I mean the point is just that like, unless you are the kind of like early adopter, you're going for this no matter what.
Speaker 2: They just haven't been affordable enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I would say, just because something is priced like a luxury product doesn't mean that it actually is a luxury product. And just because it has a lot of tech doesn't mean it's a luxury product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what it is a luxury product. And when you think of a luxury product, I.
Speaker 1: Would say when when materials are what they seem to be. For instance, leather is real, leather, chrome is real chrome, wood is real wood. When they're handmade in small batches or smallish batches, and when they're well made, when the fit and finish is very well made, when there are no body panels that don't align, when you know you can't pull the covering on the B and C pillars literally down, when something is well made for starters.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that definition. Put Max, I'm with you. I think this is a luxury vehicle just because the design is so special, it's so powerful. There's an exclusivity because EI there difficult to afford for most people, and b you just can't get them. There's a long waiting list and features they have features I know, I'm I'm not so this is anyway. I think it's cool. May maybe that's a better way.
Speaker 1: Doesn't mean luxury exists outside of the luxury world for sure, And just because they can't make enough doesn't make them exclusive. It just means Rivian can't make enough.
Speaker 3: But the way I think of it, right, is that for a long time, the narrative from Elon Musk, even like Bob Lutz, you know, former CEO of GM, who was big proponent of EV's, Like the idea was evs are are going to be a complete change from the automotive status quote because they are fundamentally software products. They're not gonna be like cars. You're gonna you're only gonna care about the software that's in it. And and like I remember like working at it, working at magazines and being involved in articles where were like the car is the new iPhone and you see that.
Speaker 1: Well, Elon said that told me that in person, you know, when he still was driving around with early prototypes, right, and I thought he was I didn't really hit it.
Speaker 3: Well, you can understand why that's a good story for investors, because iPhones are you know that the software business is like way better than the car business. Software valuations are way better than automoble evaluation. So if that turns out to be true, right, Tesla is worth you know, gazillion dollars. Like Kathy Wood, you know, you're talking like Kathy would potentially like thirty trillion dollars. I think that's that's the latest, you know, the latest, kind of like pie in the Sky thing.
Speaker 2: Has she said thirty trillion?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah. Elon is always like when I think about what the you know, best valuation is, it's the it's the Kathy Wood thing. I mean, we should check the numbers, but pretty sure thirty trillion. But anyway, Rivian's bet is is different. Rivian's bet is that the car industry of the future is gonna look a lot like car industry of the past. They're gonna be different, different demographics, different styles. There's gonna be a Jeep equivalent. There's gonna be the Jeep of EV's or the Subaru of EV's, And to my mind, like that's what they're trying to build. When you look at like what the branding is it, it looks like the way that Jeep or super U are marketing products. And there's even you know, I got I got kind of like into the sort of Rivian fan community because it's so funny. It's like a funny in version of the Tesla fan community. Imagine like the typical cyber truck driver. It's like total like Alpha bro super into technology, super into self driving, you know, just and like the Ribban people are like a little bit boring. They're like, yeah, they got their fleece.
Speaker 2: Maybe, but anyway, I think like both camps are wearing Patagonia. They are just different because one is a programmer and the other one is like a regional banker.
Speaker 3: But like the thing Rivian, so you know, like the jeep wave, right, there's a Rivian equivalent. They wave at each other and they can't even help themselves. It's just like it's just.
Speaker 2: Like the thing.
Speaker 3: And and I think like that is pretty astute, honestly of Rivian. And it actually shows like if Elon Musk's bet on the future of the automotive industry is correct, then great, it's gonna be then like he's totally gonna pay off this valuation. But I think it's a high risk bet and more likely it's it's the Rivian thesis is gonna be the one that plays out and.
Speaker 2: If that has survive, Yeah, the one problem.
Speaker 3: With that is if that happens, like Tesla's worthway less, Like the the the the ceiling is a little bit lower, and that makes it that makes it harder for Rivian. They're trying to compete in you know, in a business that is cutthroat where there's lots of competition, where where it's not like it's not just Tesla and Rivian. There are lots of other uh, really solid evs either on the market or about to hit the market. So that's a challenge. Although I think.
Speaker 2: In terms of non incumbents, there isn't really another competitor that's made a substantial amount of vehicles.
Speaker 3: No, no, there, And and when you look at the thing is they get lumped in with like Lucid and Fisker, like canoe companies that are either like like in like literally te Fisker's bankrupt. Lucid is around, but it's like largely around thanks to the you know largest the Saudi.
Speaker 2: They both they both well Rivian had it, Saudi large s too.
Speaker 3: So okay, but let me talk about Yeah, we should talk about let's get let's.
Speaker 2: Get the origin story. I think that's a cool part of reporting.
Speaker 3: Thing about this is like Rivian, it is an this is an unlikely story, and I mean it's it's easy to like see this, you know, he sort of looks like a typical kind of programmer type or something. He's like, you know, sort of like an attractive white man of about forty years old who went to MI T. This is an unlikely story, uh r. J. Scurriinge basically was like stringing it together for many years, pivoting between.
Speaker 1: Various mainstream motors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was mainstream motors, Mastream motors. By the way, his his father is an engineer and an entrepreneur, runs a company that's like mainstream engineering or something. It's a defense contractor. So you know, his his main his original investor was his father, their Saudai investor. It's it's not quite as glamorous as the public investment fund.
Speaker 2: It is true.
Speaker 3: It is a company best known for operating Toyota dealerships in Saudi Arabia, which looks like, I mean, I've never been in Saudi Arabia, but I'm in the Middle East. And if you have that Toyota franchise, yes, that is a valuable that is a valuable thing. But you know, it's like it was like an MIT connection. It wasn't you know. This is a company that really strung it together, just barely. And I mean the way it's it's pretty funny. I mean they part of the reason they had this really successful launch in twenty eighteen. I think part of it was the design, like you brought it up. It's it's I think it's polarizing, Like I don't totally love it. In fact, a lot of people who like Rivian are not like exactly crazy about the front end, but it's memorable.
Speaker 1: Polarizing is good really for car design. Yeah, at least you have at least folks reacting to.
Speaker 2: Talk about it.
Speaker 1: Totlarizing is better than yeah.
Speaker 3: And but anyway, Rihanna came to the launch. Why did Rihanna come to the most Well, she was dating the son of the Saudi car dealer. They've broken up, by the way.
Speaker 2: Uh but uh but you know, like that she did her part.
Speaker 3: And and like, okay, Rivian gets this investment from Jeff Bezos. Well, we don't know exactly the chain of events that led to that investment, but I can tell you that Rivin hired a production company. Production company had some connections to Jeff. The production company hired Lauren Sanchez, Bezos's uh, you know, girlfriend, to do some aerial photography and by.
Speaker 2: Dude, jack of all trades, Lauren Sanchez. I thought was like a journalist and a television reporter. Turns out she does aerial photography.
Speaker 3: That that's that was the business this I believe. Now again I'm speaking out of at attorney here, but I believe that's how she and she and Jeff Bezos is the helicopter pilot. Yeah, helicopter pil is awesome. She was doing I think doing the same thing for Blue Origin. But but in any case, you know, Bezos finds out about this and and really becomes you know, the key back. I mean, that is a thing that sends Rivyan essentially stratospheric because not only did Bezos put a huge amount of money in the company, but made this big order one hundred thousand delivery vans. They haven't delivered all of those yet, by the way, but like becomes both a sort of uh, you know, Keystone customer and and the beginning investor. And company goes public and as I said, you know, just manages to raise a ton of money. But kind of like the same factors that were sort of propelling Rivian to be able to tell this investor story also worked against it. So part of the reason Rivian did well because cars were really expensive, Like a Toyota camera is like selling for more than forty thousand dollars. So and interest rates are zero, So like who cares? Like yolo, Like why buy seventy thousand dollars pickup truck?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: Now? Of course, the reason those cars were so expensive is that semiconductors are really hard to come by. R J had overpaid for almost everything. He had overdesigned these trucks, you know, love or hate them, Like when you look at people did tear downs and like it was constructed in a very expensive way. There are all these like little add ons that I think helped contribute to the sort of memorability or whatever of this of the truck, but but ultimately made it very expensive to manufacture. And they priced it, you know, basically before they realized like how much it was gonna cost. So they were just like selling these things, losing tons of money, and then unable because of the semiconductor short to really get ramped up as quickly as they wanted. And so you have a company that is essentially burning through like five billion dollars a year, which is a lot. I mean I haven't gone back and looked like how much did Tesla burn when they were making the Model S. But it's kind of like the burn you would expect for like a mass market vehicle, not a kind of niche vehicle.
Speaker 2: Right, Ford lost less on their EV business.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so they had some I think some real like undeniable success, especially when you look at like how hard it's been for like every other one of these EV startups to build any kind of following. Like Fisker had a lot of legs up. While he's like a famous designer, he's been in the industry for a very long time, like really struggling, like all these all these startups up starts, like really struggling to get any kind of traction. Rivian gets traction, but at just a crazy high price. Like one thing you can say about rj and Rivian like this is a spendee company. It is not like Elon Musk is really frugal, and and you know it comes out in all sorts of ways that are destructive and problematic. Rivian Rjie I think believed that you know this, the company needs to sort of overperform. It needs to be better than you expect, it needs to be nicer than you expect. When you these Rivian stores are really expensive and nice, and it's it's very different from a lot of things Tesla did. And you know, as a result, like behind the scenes, starting last year, there's this like kind of frantic attempt to either uh, raise more money or cut costs or or all of those things, Like they looked at the federal government. And then we wind up finally, you know, with this Volkswagen deal, which really is a lifeline, and I think.
Speaker 1: That saved them completely. I mean, can we let's talk about how massive.
Speaker 2: That Yeah, did it save them completely or is it a lifeline that's going to last a year? I mean they still have to.
Speaker 1: Build that really a factory move against Tesla more than appreciating what Rivian is doing or could do, Is that actually a maneuver to block Tesla? Well?
Speaker 2: I think no.
Speaker 3: I mean I think Rivian, despite having the kind of crazy burn rate and despite you know, as as r J said, you know, looking out in the future and seeing at some point, you know, we're going to run out of money, they have something valuable here like that, and I think and so.
Speaker 2: They have a lot of liabilities. They have to build another factory for five billion dollars, right, well that happened to higher six thousand people, like they have more spending to do than that Volkswagen lifeline will amount to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we reported, you know, we haven't even talked about the UAW, but of course the uaw's out there. Rivian looks like a pretty successful EV company, especially compared to you know, Fisker, and even like some of the big automakers, UAW badly wants to unionize those plants. This the plan in normal Illinois not unionized, and so part of what kind of set off this chain of events that led to VW. As we report in the story, Rivian had agreed during the good old days to build this massive factory in Georgia five billion dollars. Said they had huge commitments of sort of jobs they had to create to pay for the infrastructure that Georgia was going to provide. As these deals often do you know, the local government, state government kicks in money, but the private employer has to do something. And RJ and Rivian essentially tried to apply for a loan from the Department of Energy as part of the Inflation Reduction Act. You know, Biden administration is as we know, like super excited about promoting EVS and but Biden administration also very pro union and that's kind of where the hiccup happened. And that was part of the decision for RJ essentially to put a pause on Georgia and try to do this new model in Illinois. He got another big tax incenter in Illinois eight hundred or so million, but that was leaving this kind of like bomb over the company where at some point they're going to run out of money. They have these commitments. So that's where kind of Volkswagen comes in. And you know, Ed Ludlow, my co writer and I we talked to RJ about this, and essentially he's talking to everybody, right He's he's trying to you know whatever potential partners money, whatever, and has this conversation with Volkswagen with the with the new CEO, Oliver Bloom and initially thinks, okay, like maybe we're gonna like sell them some technology or something. But over the course of you know, some amount of time, it becomes clear that Volkswagen is interested in something deeper, a real like partnership essentially where Volkswagen is going to take Rivian's software and hardware and put it into its vehicles. And that's interesting because you know, Volkswagen under the previous CEO made this huge bet on EV's and it's kind of it has not worked. I think it's it's the I forget what it's called.
Speaker 2: ID four.
Speaker 3: The owners of this car are just, uh, you know, really complaining a lot about about the software. You know, like it's need to reboot, it doesn't work, you know EVS as we've talked about our software and and and that's despite the fact that they had spent you know, a really large amount of money developing their own software trying to make this work.
Speaker 2: They spent thirty billion dollars just to start the software unit. They earmarked one hundred and eight billion euros between like now and twenty twenty eight on EVS.
Speaker 3: So and when I talk about in terms of this Rivian deal, I'm not talking about like infotainment software. I'm talking about the software architecture and the computers on inside of the car. So you know, the thing that tells the doors or the seat or the steering or whatever. Right cars are are many of these little computers. And Rivian had spent a lot of time and money essentially aping Tesla Tesla has their own system. Rivian built its own system, and I assume, you know, great expense. And the idea here is that they're going to license the computers and the software to Volkswagen. That's gonna give them up to five billion dollars. Now, again, this is a partnership between a kind of shaky startup and a very old German most German. Yeah, not necessarily like it's gonna all work out, but assuming it does, two companies that like to spend like drunk, you know, it'll give Rivian, you know, a substantial amount of money, five billion dollars, which is enough money to at least get that Georgia plan open UH and get and they've said get R two, the next car into production. I think the hope would be to then start getting ready for our three, which is the even cheaper version. And for Volkswagen it allows them to just like take this stuff and put it into their future models. The great thing for Rivian is Volkswagen is going to be a lot better at sourcing UH semiconductor parts than Rivian, and they're gonna be buying essentially from the same pool because it's gonna be a joint venture. So so suddenly this gives like Rivian a lot more leverage in terms of buying these very expensive, very hard to get parts, and that could also help them, you know, trim losses going forward. That what they want to do is get to profitability by the end of the year.
Speaker 1: What do you make of you know, former VW and Porsche employees going to Rivian. I know we spoke about this briefly. For instance, Kel Gruner, the head of Porsche North America, shortly after his departure from Porsche. Now we see him at Rivian. How do you assess that type of move.
Speaker 3: I don't know, to be honest, my assumption is kind of like small world to a type of situation, or maybe they're you know, like I don't know how many potential homes there are for this kind of person. But on the other hand, like, look, Rivian has big plans. I mean, this is not a viable company at fifty or sixty thousand units a year. It's not a viable company if it's only selling vans to Amazon and not to other commercial clients. It's not a viable company if it doesn't have really it needs it needs several new models, and so you know that requires staffing up, and there's also been some interestingly, like some former Rivian people over at VW, So.
Speaker 2: I mean, who knows.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's evidence that some kind of cross pollination, maybe that even helped drive this deal, but we definitely didn't get any of that indication from just speculating on my part.
Speaker 1: Just on a personal level, I'm curious what your opinion is of RJ, especially in light of Elon. You know, you cover Elon so much, and you know RJ received basically, you know, funded by his dad and fifteen years working in total obscurity. You know, does RJ have what it takes? Does he have like him or hate him what Elon has?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I I tweeted that like Rivian's like a thought experiment of a company. I used a foul term, but like what would Tesla look like if it didn't have a trollish CEO? And I think that cuts both ways. I think in certain ways it's really good, right, Like I think, and I think that you know, you could you could go back and look at what where has Tesla gone wrong? And I think clearly you all may have different views of this, but I think cyber Truck huge misstep years late. The design is is like you said, polarizing is good, but you know, maybe a little bit too polarizing, you know. And if they had just done something more conservative, easier to make, I think they would have one of the most successful pickup trucks in America right now. And I think, like maybe if Elon is like spending a little less time like fighting the woke mind virus and trying to reinvent you know, he's this famously a first principles thinker. You know, certain things the way it's done is done that way for a reason. I think Tesla spent like basically no amount of time thinking about like what do pickup truck drivers like? Why do they drive their pickup trucks?
Speaker 2: Who are they?
Speaker 3: Like they just I don't think they answered any of those questions. It's just like, let Elon wants.
Speaker 2: To make a cool pickup truck.
Speaker 3: That's the plus side. The downside is RJ is not a charismatic figure. I mean, he's liked by his employees, but like to me, like he sort of talks like a consultant to use a lot of like business y terms, and you know, he talks like a guy Frankly, who has spent a lot of time in various boardrooms, you know, pitching, and you have to be careful and and I think that create has maybe limited like it doesn't allow him to attract as much attention. He's not the he's a visionary, I think, I would argue, but not in the Elon Musk visionary sense.
Speaker 2: But you know, maybe that's okay.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think Rivin has a bet that you can have like a normal car company and be successful, and that having a normal successful car company would be really good for the world, would you know, being if we're able to come up with like the electric super or the electric Jeep, or or an electric truck that sells really well like that would that would be great? And of course Elon Musk has decided, you know, somewhat famously that he doesn't even want to think of kit Tesla as a car company, right. He wants to be a software company. So I think that's the divide, and I think it limits Rivin's upside, although it gets them out of this extremely high leverage, high risk bet that that Tesla's currently in.
Speaker 2: That was Max Chafkin talking to us about Rivian and the coolest thing, Hannah, that you're going to get to drive the new newer version of the Rivian R one s. By the way, I I don't like the pickup truck, like I feel that it's if it's not luxury at least it's like uh special vehicle, like it's a third car. Yes, and yeah, I don't need that to be a pickup, like all of my pickup be one of my first two. So I like the makes sense the suv better and I'm pretty excited to hear what you think about this new version because I think they've updated a lot, including even like the power delivery.
Speaker 1: I really think they have. Admittedly, the truck that I drove was a very early example, so yeah, I haven't driven the suv. And this is the second generations there are it's a second generation are one there, it's the dual motor. There's gonna be a tri motor coming out in the fall that I'm also gonna drive, but I'm really looking forward.
Speaker 2: And then a quad eventually a quad motor with over a thousand horse power. That's it for us this week. Be sure to email us because we thrive off your attention and what's our what's our email address hot Pursuit at bloomberg dot net. And yes, we will respond, and we also take suggestions. And that's all I got.
Speaker 1: I'm Matt Miller and I'm Hannah Elliott at this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Hmmm,