Speaker 1: This is a.
Speaker 2: Sage League cracker. You bring here, we will sue you to thank Times's the Gunner. Welcome to hang out Thursday, February sixteenth on the Just Baseball Show. And it's a beautiful day for one reason and one reason only. It's just me today, No jack, no arm. You have an hour of me talking about my bets. Just kidding. Hopefully you didn't turn off the podcast because this is the twenty twenty three College Baseball Preview with my guy, Peter Flaherty, Draft analyst, College baseball analyst for Baseball America and is my secret source for all of my college baseball betting picks. He just tells me what he likes and then I do the betting. Peter, I'm so excited. We're gonna spend the next hour. We could spend about three hours talking about college baseball, but we're gonna try and be concise. We have our top ten teams, top ten players, as well as some sleeper players and sleeper teams that could make a run to Omaha. How are you doing? Opening Day is on Friday. It's a great time to talk some college baseball, right.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say first, thanks for having me on. I'm super fired up. And also the one thing you left out of my title, I was a former former JB and honorary I guess now JB team member. So wouldn't be where I am without the Just Baseball crew. But I'm so amped to talk about college baseball with you. Just like every year, there's you know, a ton of great teams, a lot of great players, and you know, I could go on and on about it, but I'm excited to dive into it with you.
Speaker 2: I don't like Kanye Honore, I don't like Kanye former. I like Kanye's secret Weapon.
Speaker 1: Great, I love it.
Speaker 2: I'm down awesome. Let's get straight into it and not waste anybody's time because we have so much to go over. We're gonna go top ten teams, top ten players, a sleeper player that you should be on the watch for, as well as the sleeper team that could make a run for the College World Series in Omaha. So we'll go ten to one and let's start with Vandy. And Vanderbilt is always that team that's in the mix, right, the jack Liders, the Kumar Rockers. It seems that every player you look up on Baseball Reference, most of them have been to Vanderbilt, most notably Dansby Swanson was the number one overall pick, and we often see them take the They have the best players, they have one of the best coaches in the country. They're just a really well rounded team. But they have a lower rank this year then I think at previous Sometimes they're the number one team, sometimes they're within the top five. But from my knowledge of looking at past years, because I'm a college baseball guy, I almost like to call myself an analyst, even though you know I've been writing on just Baseball dot com, but you're the college baseball expert. Why is Vanderbilt maybe ten when in previous years they might be one or two.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's an indictment on Vanderbilt so much as just it is an endorsement of the talent ahead of them. You look at teams and some outlets like Wake Forest, Florida, Stanford, Tennessee, LSU, and I mean, those are stacked teams. And that's not to say Vanderbilt isn't a great club and their own right. I don't think there's ever been, or ever will be a bad coach Corbyn led team. I think it's just a testament to how deep college baseball is as a whole.
Speaker 2: I remember last year when we were at the College World Series, vany was just such a fun team to watch, and they still have a loaded roster. Like, who are some of the best players that we got to watch out for.
Speaker 1: I think it starts with and not to jump into our next segment of top ten players, I think it starts within Rik Bradfield in centerfield. We'll talk about him more in depth when we go through the top ten, but it's like game breaking eighty grade speed. He sets the standard for eighty grade speed. Like for all the people at home listening when they're like, well there's a twenty eighty scale, what's the eighty grade? All out here is sixties and seventies. No one ever throws out in eighty because it's so rare. And Enrique Bradfield is one of the few guys that has an eighty grade tool. And he's not just a speed star. He's got great baseball IQ, which enhances I think his base stealing ability. I'm going on about him already, but he's a great defender, great hand eye starts with him on the dirt. One guy that I think is gonna break out this year is Jonathan Vastein. He's a shortstop, left handed hitter, had a great summer in the north Woods, was an All Star, and their starting rotation is really really good. It'll be headlined by Carter Holton and Andrew Ducanich. Dukanich was a blue chip freshman who is a projected first second round draft pick by a lot of outlets, and he made it to campus. So I think him and Holton, along with Devin Futrell make for a really good starting rotation. And they've got just a bunch of solid players all around. And also you know Patrick Riley will be used in a variety of ways. So I think those are the headliners to watch out for. But in looking up and down this roster, there are a lot of players that have big time upside and could easily propel Vanderbilt just like any other year, to a national championship.
Speaker 2: Barker Nolan, I'm glad to see back at first base. He's a guy I remember who just hits mega tanks and he's definitely a fun guy to watch. Let's talk about number nine Oklahoma State. So I just wrote up my top ten second basement article, and Rock Raggio was the number one guy at the second base position. Because there's some guys, you know, Tommy Troy who second basement shortstop. He's mostly gonna play shortstop, probably for Stanford. That's Stanford infield. We're going to talk about them in a bit. There's some other guys, but he's kind of the main second baseman and I know he's one of the key players because Oklahoma State, oh turns in an incredible product and that's why they're at number nine again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I again. I love the Pokes and I always seem to fall in love with them every you know, tournament time. I think that coach Holly does a great job. They've always got just a bunch of dudes on their team. Obviously, Rock Riggio is a great second baseman, but one of my favorite players, maybe my favorite player on the team, is their shortstop Marcus Brown. He can really pick it on the left side of the endfield. He's a true shortstop. That's where he'll be professionally. Super competitive kid, loves to win, really came into his own with a full sample size of hitting last year. He actually won the Appy League MVP in twenty twenty one hit like four to ten with just gaudy numbers, and last year with a full season at Oklahoma State, he hit three seventeen. He'll shoot a gap put the ball over the fence every now and again. But him and Reggio make for one of the best middle infield duos in the country. You know, they're great players. And then obviously getting Nolan McClain back after getting drafted and not signing is huge. He might have the biggest rop power of anyone in the country. And then also on the mound, he's great in the late inning role. And then they've got a really really good freshman class and the headliner in there is outfielder Nolan Schubert. I know this fall that the staff was just absolutely glowing of him and his ability, and he got some pretty lofty player comps, and he kind of looks to be next in line to be a first round pick out of still Water. So they're gonna be a really good team. They're gonna hit, they're always gonna hit. The key for them will just be pitching and sustaining consistency in the pitching staff. So I'm fired up about him. Another transfer arm to watch for him is from BYU. Actually, Jansen Kiesel throws from a really low slot, uncomfortable at bat for everybody. He's got kind of a sweeper slider that's flashes plus when it's on, and he's a big VLO guy up to he's up to one hundred this fall. So they're really excited team. And I kind of have a few teams circle to always watch them, and I know Oklahoma State this year will be one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're always that kind of team, right, just loaded with talent. I think, like you said, the only question mark might be the pitching staff, but this team could win a lot of ten eight games right. Their offense is just incredible.
Speaker 1: I agree there, like you said, and that's a good point. They're a team that's gonna have no problem getting into a shootout with another team. They'll they're absolutely down with like a twelve to ten kind of game, thirteen to nine, like you were saying, they have no problem going punch for punch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're the team kind of on this list. I mean, all these teams are incredible, but they're one of those teams where you can expect seven runs and it's just about allowing less. And then if they allow seven, they're probably going to score ten and that's why you'll see them most likely be in the top ten for the rest of the season. Eight is Arkansas and Arkansas. I remember last year when we did this podcast, they were one of our favorite teams and they kind of let us down a little bit in the playoffs two in the regionals, and they I'm a little bit I guess more down on them, and maybe it's just a sour taste from last year because we were so freaking high on them. They should probably be at eight. Am I missing anything with Arkansas well rounded team. They got a good lineup, they got a good pitching staff, don't seem like a lot of weaknesses, But at the same time, they don't seem to have the mega star power maybe like last year, or that we're used to a team with Arkansas.
Speaker 1: My off there, No I was gonna say. I think that people will look at this year's Arkansas team and kind of be like, Okay, where's the guy or guys that warrant them being so high. But I think what they might lack in a loud, household name, they make up for just some sheer talent similar to Vanderbilt, coach Van Horne and his staff are unbelievable and get the most out of their guys. And they've also got a bunch of freshmen who didn't play that much last year who had outstanding summers and falls that they'll come out of to some people, not to the Arkansas staff, but they'll come out of nowhere to some people this year and be like where did this guy come from? And like how is he hitting three ten with with twelve jacks? So that's kind of the team they've got. And they've got two absolutely electric arms on the mount and Hagen Smith and Brady Tiger. Tiger his breaking ball kind of went viral last year when he first started coming to close games. It's just an absolute demon curveball it spin rate pushing like three thousand RPMs, a little bit of deception in there. And then their Friday night guy is gonna be Hagen Smith the left hand or he was really good as a freshman, was a freshman All American starter, a profile. He's a really good guy that you're gonna have taking the ball on Friday nights. They're dealt a tough hand this past week with Jackson Wiggins going down to Tommy John because you know he's he's an outstanding arm talent obviously, but if you throw him and then Juco transfer Hunter Holland in there to round out the rotation, that's a that's a pretty darn good rotation. And they're still gonna be a good team. They'll be competitive all year. But obviously, if any team loses someone like Jackson Wiggins, that's gonna that's gonna hurt. But on the position player side, Peyton Solvall is a guy that I think is going to really, really really announce his presence. He was a super highly touted freshman last year, making it on a campus similar to Dukanich. He got first and second round grades going into the draft, but decided to go to school. And he's just a really pure hitter. His numbers were respectable last year, but he's a guy that he could end up hitting three thirty three forty with ten plus bombs and I wouldn't be surprised. Kennel Diggs is another You look at his stats from last year, they weren't they're not going to jump off the page at you, but he's another really good baseball player, can really hit, can really play the can really feel the ball. And then they brought in a couple of transfers from the JUCO ranks. Hunter Holland was one of them, and then shortstop Harold Calls another And he is really really good on the dirt and is going to be the guy to fill the void left by Jalen Battles his departure. And two guys that are kind of under the raidar on their roster, maybe that I like our Brady Slaven's and Jace Borfin. Borfin had a great freshman year at Oklahoma, had a up and down last couple of years, but the talent that he's got is undeniable. Same with Slaven. Slaven start off at a junior college. He had like five ten at his junior college, and he's just gonna be a great veteran guy to have around over at first base, in achor the infield. So while they might not have that kind of star power, they're going to be a really competitive team all year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had two quick questions for you. You don't need to dive into it a ton because we have so much to cover. But Tiger was one guy who I remember in the bullpen, but he is making the transition to the starting rotation, right, he should be their Saturday guy.
Speaker 1: I think they're going to still use him out of the bullpen, okay. I think he's going to be their lights out closer.
Speaker 2: Okay. And then Peyton Stovall was a guy who I left off my second base. He was probably number eleven. And that's not really a detriment to Stoveall. That's more of a testament to the rest of the list. How many good second basement there in a country? Did I make a mistake there? Are you expecting a huge year for a guy like Peyton Stoveall.
Speaker 1: I think you might look back and be like, I should have stuck Stoveall on there. But I think given the talent across college baseball, because like you said, you can only rank ten of them, I think just looking across the town of college baseball, he just there's always going to be an odd man out and he might be that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and at number seven, this is a team that I think you and I are really really high on. And you look at their roster, and you look at LSU's roster, and while LSU, of course so the number one team, we'll talk about them in a second and they're so loaded it's actually hilarious. How funny, they're hilarious. How funny, that's a good word to describe it, because it is comical how good their lineup rotation is. But Florida there, Dylan cruizes why at Langford who might go number one? They have Hurston walderp that transferred from Southern miss So I highly recommend going checking out not gambling device my betting podcast. Florida is one of the teams that I picked and you really like to potentially win the College World Series. But they come in at number seven. What is keeping Florida from maybe being the first, second, or third best team because that's where I think I see them, and I think you're up there too with them.
Speaker 1: Florida is awesome. This is uh, it's they're They're gonna be really, really good. This is one of the best, maybe the best team that O'Sullivan's had in his time there, and they're just loaded on both sides of the baseball. They have been to Omaha since twenty eighteen, but I think that they're in a really good spot to make it back. Obviously Langford. Langford is the highlight there. He's got one one type upside, he's gonna be playing center field, which is just silly. And then obviously the rotation with Sproton Waldrip at the top, wildri Bro is so good. He's again Sprot's gonna get overshadowed maybe a little bit with the staff they've got, but he's another kind of top three round arm talent who's just really, really, really good. In Waldrop, he might not be the first pitcher taken off the board in the draft, but maybe third. My money, he might have. He might have the best pure stuff in the country. If you just watch some of the film of him pitching, He's balls bras ball.
Speaker 2: Curveball is nasty, dude.
Speaker 1: It's hellish. It's just so, it's just so sharp. He gets so many ugly swings with it. He's super athletic on the mound. This summery quieted down his delivery a little bit, which will be great. And then two sophomores that I think are going to be really good for them this year who were limited last year because of injuries are Jack kaglian On and Pierce Copola. Copola six' eight, lefty who will be in their weekend. ROTATION i don't know if he's going to be ready On, sunday but within a few weeks he'll be Their sunday guy or however they want to shuffle. Him and then Kaglian on will play first and then also. Close he was up to ninety nine on the mound and he's got just silly rob. Power the exit velos he was posting this fall were just. ABSURD i THINK i saw one that was like one thirteen or one, fourteen AND i might be selling him, short but they're just gonna be really good to. Watch and then the, Infield Colby halter is a guy THAT i think is going to be THE x factor for. Them they've got a lot of star, power But halter was one of the better GUYS i saw this summer on The. Cape HE i think was tied for the league league in home runs with seven or. Eight really saw it on the, Dirt Josh rivera getting him back as a, win and THEN Bt ryapal behind the. Plate they're they're just stacked in all. Facets so THE sec is going to be loaded this. Year they're loaded every. Year but the the talent that some of these teams had is just.
Speaker 2: Stupid BT's a transfer. RIGHT i think that was a yeah get for.
Speaker 1: Him, yeah so he was he was From coastal and he transferred in last. Year so last year was his first year AT uf and he was really good and, then, uh he's got one more year. Left he said he absolutely had offers to go pro but opted to return TO. Uf so they they kind of had a few wins in the draft too with guys coming.
Speaker 2: Back so we're going to talk About waldrop And langford when we get back into our top ten overall. Players but let's talk about maybe our favorite team in all of college baseball this. Year my pick to win The College World. SERIES i know you love them to win The College World, series and if you listen to that, PODCAST i got him at nineteen hundred plus nineteen. Hundred now they're plus fourteen. Hundred so we're seeing some line movement. There interesting and we're also seeing some preseason polls come out now where Wake forest is getting even higher and now they're at number. SIX i think that obviously we're going to talk About Reet louder a little bit later when we talk about our top ten, players so we don't have to get into him a. Lot but a guy WHO i almost put as my most underrated player or biggest SLEEPER i guess Is teddy. McGraw and it's not because he's a sleeper because he might go in the first. Round it's just it's hard to find a Better saturday starter in all of college baseball than that. Guy he. Does he's Not Jack, LYDER i, mean that's, stupid but he's the undersized righty who's up to ninety, five who has a couple of good, secondaries he has good, command and he's just a really good. Pitcher Nick, KURTZ i, mean is he the best hitter in THE? Acc you look at his swing and he was a freshman last. YEAR i think with an eleven hundred ops or something. Nuts This Wake forest, team THE, acc you, know THE sec is that is the conference that gets a lot of the love right in football. BASKETBALL i Think alabama's the number one team in college basketball right. Now like they are just a conference that flowers these amazing. Teams but THE acc might be the best conference in college baseball this, year And Wake forest should win. It we're so excited for Wake, forest aren't.
Speaker 1: WE i was gonna say we could do a show On Wake forest only and spend like an hour plus talking about. THEM i think that's how much you AND i love. Them but you hit on. It they Are they are maybe like as a completed, team and this is gonna be a lofty, comparison but there may be as complete a team up and down AS lsu. Is if you look around the diamond and up and down the, ROTATION i would love to see someone try and find a hole or kind of any area of weakness for, him because if you look at their, rotation like you, said they've got a definite first rounder and maybe a top ten pick in.
Speaker 2: Rounding SO i think he's gonna be the second pitcher off the.
Speaker 1: Board it wouldn't shock me, McGraw like you, said who for my money's worth is also the Best saturday starter and a top probably fifty. Pick and then Sophomore Josh, hartle who could very well be a first round pick in twenty twenty. Four his stuff took a step up this. Fall they've got their pitching, lab which is just a really cool operation as a. Whole that's a whole other wormhole to go. Down but his stuff took a step forward this, fall and then their, lineup like you, said Kurtz. IS i think he's one of the best pure hitters in all of college baseball if you just kind of you look at the swing, decisions the approach he's. Got he just sprays balls all over the yard with, authority and he's a good mover at first. Base he's athletic enough where if they would need an outfielder and a, pinch he could hold his own and right or. Left he's that. GOOD i had the pleasure of coaching, him or you, know evaluating him at The area coache tryouts a couple of years, ago and he was always really, athletic a good, player but he took his game to the next. Level and then on the other, corner you've Got Brock, wilkin who seventy great, power Absolute zuoka arm like he'll be one of the first college hitters taking off the. Board and then they've got a few guys who are like just. Dynamos one of them Is Tommy hockey in center. Field he's a little five six five seven absolute, fireball but he just plays with his hair on. Fire he's Got he's a perfect lead off hitter for, them great bats to ball, skills really good, defender kind of game changing, speed and he's going to be great to kind of have at the top of the lineup With, Kurtz, Wilkin Bennett lee's a great Transfer. Brendan. Yeah they're just so deep up and.
Speaker 2: Down, yeah and you just keep listing names because they're just like their whole roster is. Incredible like it's like when we get to THE lsu portion of this, podcast it's like you can just list all the names and be, like this guy will be a first round in twenty twenty, four this guy will be a first rounder in twenty twenty. Three and if they're not, first they'll be. Second they're just such a loaded. Team that's Why i'm so excited for. This and you mentioned the leadoff. HITTER i kind of compare. Him he doesn't obviously a eighty grade speed like Enri K bradfield, junior but he's the definition of the spark plug for, them, Right because you have the great. Pitchers, yeah you have The Red ladders of the. World you have The teddy, McGraw's you have The Brock, wilkins you have the you have The Nick. Kurtz but the guy who starts everything is that leadoff hit or, Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely And Hackey hawk's that. Guy and then the THE x factor on the, mound kind of like How hawk will be in the, lineup Is Sean. Sullivan he's a guy That i'm personally really excited. About he's got an uncomfortable, delivery a really low, slot similar to again a lofty, comparison but kind of like A carson Palm quist or even like A Chris sale in terms of the low slot and the herky jerkiness to. It but he's got two sweeping breaking balls that he'll land for. Strikes the fastball plays up and just kind of explodes out of his hand even at ninety to ninety. Two and he'll be used in a ton of, ways whether it's a long reliever, role a laidening guy like coming in the sixth or seventh and give you a couple of scoreless, frames or even in the rotation when a guy needs a start off in the, weekend or if they just want to shuffle. Things So sullivan's a guy you'll see with saves to his, name with win as a, starter he'll do it all for them on the. Mound so, AGAIN i think they're a super complete team and They're they're one of My they're one of the teams on my short list to win the national.
Speaker 2: Championship number Five TEXAS a AND. M and this is WHERE i need your expert, opinion because WHEN i look at all these rosters AND i look at the teams THAT i really, like And i'm also looking at value of course for betting, Perspective TEXAS a AND m feels like the most overrated team in this top. Ten and it's not THAT i Say TEXAS a AND m shouldn't be in the top twenty five or should it be in the top, fifteen like they. Should they earned. It they have a great, lineup they have a good starting, staff they have a good. Bullpen they have a good team and deserve to be amongst one of the best teams in college. Baseball but there's something That i'm. Missing maybe it's the. Firepower maybe what AM i missing? Here AM i off calling them one of the more overrated teams in this top? Ten?
Speaker 1: YEAH i think that They're they're just a really good team year in and. Year Jim schlasnigl is a great, coach and he's gonna have them playing competitive baseball for a full fifty six. Games, slate it might not. Be, YEAH i, MEAN i think they're that, good at least in some. EYES i. DON'T i think At Baseball america we've got them slightly lower than. Five but they're gonna be a really good team and they're going to remain competitive in AN. Sec that's the best THE sec has looked in maybe some time top to. Bottom but they've got two headliners in terms of star, power both on the mound and then in their. Lineup they're leading. Hitters Jack, Moss he's a first, baseman just a really really advanced hit. Year he just, Rakes he's consistently finds the, barrel puts them all over the. Yard he's got some thump in. There and Then, denmer Just denmer was great last, year but his stuff took a, huge huge jump this, fall which is crazy to say stuff took a huge, jump but he was up to ninety nine with his. Fastball slider's best. Pitch it's it's he'll throw it to. Right he's at, lefties manipulate the, shape get a lot of swing and. Miss and they brought in also a lot of pitchers from the transfer. Portal Josh stewart From texas was really good this past. Summer Troy wantson actually From purdue is a key transfer to. Keep to keep your eye on left handed. Pitcher he'll be in their weekend rotation who was. Great and then they've got a freshman dude who will explode this. Year i'm betting on, Them Jace. Laviolette he's an, outfielder huge raw. Power he hit three home runs in his scrimmage this past. Fall he'll be in their lineup from day. One SO i think that they're they're right in that top ten mix and they're gonna be really good.
Speaker 2: Team that's why you're the expert and i'm the, fan because you did convince me that they're not. Overrated they might just be eight and not five right fifteen WHERE i might place. Them and we decided to USE d One baseball's rankings because of, course, Uh Pete, flaherty he's over there At Baseball, America so we tried to do just kind of an unbiased. RANKING d One. Baseball they do an amazing job over, there tons of, rankings tons of great. Content But, Pizza Baseball, America i'm just. Baseball pizza our secret weapon over, here just. Baseball so we wanted to USE d. One baseball now moving into the top, four And i'm patting myself on the back of this one BECAUSE i remember we talked about this AND i went down and Saw Ole miss Against, hawaii AND i came away from that series even, though of Course hawaii isn't that great of a, program but they just had so much thump and every single pitcher that not only was in their rotation but out of their, pen it was just like there was no. Breaks. Right they Have Jacob gonzalez, still they Had Tim elcho last. Year the whole lineup was so. Good AND i came away with that, Saying, PETE i think this team is gonna win The College World. Series and it's not like you said. No you were just, like let's maybe pump the brakes a little, bit and then they went on the incredible run and ended up winning the entire. Thing they're rat number four this, year and we both know it's frankly impossible to. Repeat we almost never see repeat. Teams we've seen it a few times in college baseball, history but it's just so hard to do. It they deserve to be number. Four they're an incredible ball. Club BUT i think neither of us are picking them just because history kind of repeats. Itself, right they could make a deep. Run they have a great, team but it's just so hard for them to. Repeat BUT i love Them at number.
Speaker 1: FOUR i was gonna, say you. Can't it's hard to drop the defending national champs too. Far AND i think they're right where they're supposed to. Be last year they had that, incredible incredible run and one of the great great, stories you, know last in last. Out Coach bianco is an outstanding. Coach and like you, Said Jacob gonzalez is he could be the first college hitter. Taken he's again on that short list to go one to. One might be on the outside looking in right, now but he's.
Speaker 2: HEDNES i was.
Speaker 1: Gonna, say the, bloodlines left, handed hitting shortstop with, impact it could be tough to pass up. On but outside of, Him Calvin harris is really good behind the plate for. Them Was hayden dune hers back up last, year so now he'll be there catcher full. Time he's a really good. Hitter he's From. Iowa just kind of a Classic midwestern like corn lifting strong. Guy Kemp alderman in the outfield and d H roll just has as much pop and as bad as. Anybody what he might lack in a pure hit, tool he makes up for literally just any time he makes, contact it's gonna just.
Speaker 2: Fly T.
Speaker 1: J McCants is a great center, Fielder peyton shot And ye is a Key vette and kind of like what's becoming The Norman college. Baseball they loaded up in the transfer. Portal they went and Got Xavier revs From Indianapolis, university a SMALL d two, school but don't let the lack of kind of school name fool. You he is going to be a really really good picture for them in factor and right away into their into their weekend, rotation which will be headlined By Hunter, elliott, who Like Hagen smith Left inded pitcher really good freshman year for in THE, sec was a Freshman All. American he kind of profiles as That day one type draft pick in twenty. Four and then in the, Outfield Ethan groff From tulane is a is a is a key transfer they. Got he he had a really good season For. Tulane he'll start for, them so again sort of like everyone was rinning Off Ole miss last year and they learned that you can't ever really write off The. ReBs for the people that are kind of skeptical of them at four or top, five top ten, ranking they'll they'll likely prove them wrong. Again So i'm definitely not, gonna definitely not gonna go against like Coach bianco and what he can do with his. Talent SO i like them there and they're gonna come out with a huge chip on their. Shoulder they're not gonna they're not gonna kind of spend time lulling and lingering on that national championship from last.
Speaker 2: Year, yeah if there's any team that can, REPEAT i think it's all miss number Three. Stanford we Love, stanford we love but it's Been but the thing is With, stanford like they just like they get there and that they don't close it, out and that's always Been stanford's. Problem but you look at their team and it's why can't they? WIN i, think for my, money he's not the best player in the. COUNTRY i don't even think he's the best two way player in the. Country But Braydon montgomery IS i think the most exciting player in the country because he can throw a hundred off the. Mound he has huge power and huge. SPEED i think he might be the toolesiest player in college. BASEBALL i, mean there's of course other names that you have to throw in, there but just the guy that maybe people aren't thinking about for all the, TOOLS i Think Brad montgomery should be in the. CONVERSATION i also think That stanford has the best infield in. Baseball for my, Money Tommy, Troy Drew, bowser you could continue to name. Names This stanford team has as good as a roster as long as as well as a great head coach. Too this team is primed to make a run At. Omaha it's just can they get over the, hump which they've failed to do so in previous.
Speaker 1: Years, yeah and that's they haven't won a national title since nineteen eighty, eight but it seems like every, year especially the last two, years they've made. It two years straight they've been In. Omaha they're absolutely in a spot to make it for the third time in as many. Years but kind of looking up and down the. Roster you mentioned the, talent but they returned two thirds of that lineup from twenty twenty. Two and they think they Lose Brock jones ugh tough, loss but they led the pack IN RBIs they led the pack and home, runs the second highest team batting average with the three or nine average and the best. Pattern Carter graham is. Back second leading, Hitter Tommy troy in first round draft pick is. Back you Mentioned Braden. MONTGOMERY i think his future is likely as a, hitter but on the, mound the stuff he has now is more than enough to be effective at the college. Level he's up he's ninety eight With carrie and then from rightfield he's got a seventy arm so and then the rotation is also great With Quinn matthews up at the. Top, uh he's a pitchability, guy but he. Throws he's got great, stuff his change ups his best. Pitch Drew dowd's another lefty who will be up there at the top of the, rotation who's again kind of just a strike thrower tax. Hitters they might have the best reliever in the country outside Of Andrew, walters maybe even up there With Andrew. Walters With Ryan bruno again up to one hundred hiss change up had a ridiculous whiff rate OF i think like fifty six percent last. Year, yeah and his he's got just stupid loud. Stuff and also in their, lineup they've got a they've got a, Catcher Malcolm, moore and he's definitely candidate For pack Twelve freshman of The. Year it would not shock me if he Wins National freshman of The. Year. Wow he's maybe the best pure hitter to make it to campus of the twenty twenty two draft. Class and all he did this fall was hit and he picked up kind of you, know he didn't miss a, beat and he also hit what went. Unnoticed he went out to The West Coast league because you can play there as a rising. Freshman he played for The Bellingham bells and he HIT i forget his exact BAD i, arge but he hit over. Yeah and Then Eddie park Brought jones is obviously tough to place his impact in the, lineup But Eddie park is a really good hitter, guse he consistent at, bats plays great. Defense he'll play center field for. Them so they're in great hands between the returning, talent a few freshmen they've, got they're right there and this is probably the best spot they've been in to kind of break that national championship.
Speaker 2: Drought number two The university Of tennessee fifty seven and nine record last. Year they were easily the best team in college baseball during the regular, season but Kame omaha didn't. Happen Chase, dolander DO i need to say? MORE i, mean we're gonna get to our top ten, players SO i don't even really want to talk about. Him but he's the best pitcher in the. Country HAS i don't want to talk about him because we're going to talk about him in. Second but down the line probably the best pitching in the, country and they have a great. Lineup of course they deserve to be number. Two BUT i remember when we were talking about teams that can win The College World. Series and remember that if you listen to that other episode on Not Gimily, advice it's a betting. Preview it is teams that we're trying to find the best. Value and when we were in our group chats and we're just cooking up all this kind of, Stuff tennessee was a team that we didn't really talk. About AND i understand. Why but tell, me tell me and tell the listeners Why tennessee maybe didn't make your teams of they have the best value because you look at the roster man AND i, mean it's.
Speaker 1: Incredible, YEAH i was gonna say up and. Down, obviously last year they have that historic fifty seven win. Season they lose In game three in The Super, regional which, again for really any team making it to a Super, regional twenty seven outs From omaha's largely in looking at the big, picture considered a successful. Season BUT i know that they it left a really really sour taste In tennessee's. Mouth and they're gonna come out firing on all cylinders without you, know sleepwalking through any series during the. Year kind of you saw them maybe do that against Like kentucky last, year but they're just gonna be firing on all cylinders all. Year they've got perhaps the best starting rotation With dolander who was probably the best pure pitcher in college, Baseball Chase burns as a freshman really, impressed who's a top five overall candidate next. Year and then also Sophomore Drew beam who was really impressive last. Year and then they lost some to the. Draft they lose guys Like Jordan beck And Drew, Gilbert Durello, ortega but again common theme they hit the. Portal they bring In maliahuna From kansas who he can really, hit but he's he can really really pick it on the dirt and he's got a plus, arm moves really, well projectable. BODY i, know he's a guy that they're really excited. About Christian moore will play second. Base he had a big role as a. FRESHMAN i think he hit three ten with or three h five with ten home.
Speaker 2: Runs Christian moore he made that second base list for. Me this dude is so. Good he's a. Freak he's just so good at, everything and he's got crazy. Speed it didn't show, UP i guess in the stolen base department because he was always on second or he was rounding the bases for a home. Run like he is a freak of. Nature and he's one of the best second basemen in base in college. BASEBALL i.
Speaker 1: Agree and he's a psycho competitor too in the best. Way he's he's always talking in the, dugout encouraging his, teammates always up at the top. Step Blake burke is a guy again might have the most rough power in college baseball twenty five home run. Upside and Then Jared. Dickey he kind of dealt with the injury bug a little bit last. Year but he'll catch and play the outfield for. Them and he hit three eighty last year with a handful of chok full of extra base. Hits so, again kind of naming going up and down This tennessee, roster you're kind of looking for holes and they're tough to find. Him so they're gonna be right in not only THE sec championship mix, again they'll be in the national championship. Mix AND i would not be shocked if they get To. Omaha it actually be a little surprised if they Didn't number.
Speaker 2: ONE lsu, man, DUDE i, mean this team is. Crazy is this the best roster that you've ever seen in college? Baseball with the transfer Of Tommy tanks twenty seven bombs in his freshman year From Medz, state Get Paul skids and Air, force who is the best two way player in the. Country for my, money this team is crazy and they made our list in terms of teams that we think we could they can make the you, know College war, season win. It but just from a value, perspective it's, LIKE i, mean it's terrible value because they are by all, accounts the number one team in college, baseball and it's not really that. CLOSE i mean it's kind of, close because you See, florida you See. TENNESSEE a lot of these teams, have you, know close to the amount of. Talent but it's just you go down the roster AND i think to, myself, man they might have a top ten player at every, position and they are about as loaded as any Team i've ever seen in college.
Speaker 1: Baseball, YEAH i, Know I'm I'm i'm super, YOUNG i guess in the grand scheme of. Things so in my time falling college, baseball this is certainly the most stacked Team i've seen on. PAPER i think if you go kind of back in history a little, bit THAT usc team With Randy johnson And mark maguire on the same roster is tough to. Beat but it certainly in my time following baseball and certainly in recent, memory this is the most stacked team on. PAPER i could, again we could just talk about their whole, team but headliners Obviously Dylan cruz the odds on favorite right now to probably go one. ONE i, Know Wyat langford is right there with, him almost neck and. Neck Trey morgan is just a super freaky athletic first, baseman can really, hit great hand eye, coordination such a good.
Speaker 2: Fielder that's what goes on underrated about. Him unbelievable glove you AND i love following you On twitter and you definitely everyone listening should go check Out pete On. Twitter PETER. G, flaherty he put out this thread About Trey morgan AND i was looking at lists on the first, baseman AND i thought to, myself why is he so low in these? Things like what does he do? Wrong he's, quick he has a great, glove he's got, power he's got back to, ball he's got the whole package as a first, baseman and he's got the flag like he's fun to watch, Too like what AM i missing?
Speaker 1: THERE i think it just hurts him that he's a first. Baseman you see kind of looking at the draft value, nowadays and it's just kind of you see first. Basement you're just kind of, like oh, Man but he's got the speed and athleticism to in my, mind play an outfield. Spot AND i would not be. Shocked this is a whole other, conversation BUT i wouldn't be shocked if whoever selects him in the, draft if they end up using him in the outfield or at least trying him out there because he is that. Good but, again like you Mentioned Tommy, WHITE i don't they're not much to. Say he Hits Tommy. White he's twenty seven twenty seven jacks last, year one of the best pure hitters in college. Baseball it's seventy raw. Power but he's not just a power. Guy he can actually. Hit he's got a great, approach he's almost impossible to pitch. To and then they're not just an offensive heavy, team they're also pitching. Heavy they've Got Paul, skeins who's the best two way player in the. Country for my money's, worth thatcher heard, there it's it's almost just. Unfair and then of course the cherry on. Top they had a ton of wins in the draft last, year with guys Like pax And kling And Chase shores making it to, campus and of course their entire freshman class has just been outstanding this. FALL a couple of guys to keep your eye on Is Chase, shores who's reportedly been up to one on one with his, fastball who projects to be part of the. Rotation Brady neil is a great catcher both with the bat and with the glove And pax And kling is going to take over For Dylan cruz probably after his. Departure just given his athleticism and speed and, centerfield he'll probably play an outfield spot this year in factor in day. One so they're going to be a, really, really really tough. Team kind of looking at That Omaha regional Super regional, format they're gonna be a really tough team to be two out of three. Times and anything happened in baseball we saw last year With Notre dame taking Down. Tennessee but IT'S i am really really interested to see how they do BECAUSE i don't remember the last time there was this much hype surrounding a team heading into the.
Speaker 2: Season and not to mention you mentioned all the, players but how about the fact that they grabbed The Minnesota twins pitching coach and we're just, like, hey do you want to coach in college baseball instead of the? Bigs like that's how good this team. Is LIKE i want us to cover that he left The Minnesota twins to be the pitching coach FOR. LSU i assume the paycheck was pretty, even but, STILL i, mean that's how good THIS lsu team is let's go into our top ten players and we'll go through it a little bit quicker because we kind of touched on these. Guys, now if you've been listening to the top ten, teams you kind of understand and a lot of these guys are on those. Teams so at number, Ten Hurston, waldrup like you, Said southern miss transfer up to he lives in the upper, nineties and he just has this curve ball that looks like he grabbed it for the depths Of, hell like it is just so. Disgusting Hirston. WALDROP i HE'S i think the third best pitcher in the. Country do you agree with him at number?
Speaker 1: Ten, YEAH i think that's a good spot for, him like you, said and we talked about him a bit talking About. Florida but the stuff is. Electric the, DELIVERY i think PRE usa even, now especially in the lower, half is really similar To Jack lighter From. Vanderbilt the stuff is like you, said he'll pitch in the in the upper. Nineties he'll pitch like ninety six to ninety, nine and he will he will, bomb you, know one hundred hundred and, one even one hundred and two each, start maybe not one o two each, start but he will touch triple digits and it's two plus breaking balls that gets swing a. Miss he's a real competitor on the. Mound he's gonna he's gonna be a top probably thirty draft, pick top twenty draft. Pick so top ten player in college. Baseball.
Speaker 2: Absolutely number Nine Red, louder best change up in college. BASEBALL i think it's so, nasty it's So nicey's. Great, yeah he's. Great number, Nine Red. Ladder what do you think about? Him it's pretty, quick really really good, pitcher right.
Speaker 1: Yeah great pitcher, again one of the best in college. Baseball chain ups To colin card will throw it to righty's and, lefties which is unique and it just falls off at the. End great. Fastball he's going to headline the rotation For, wake which could be a national championship. Team but, Yeah louder at, nine that's a good spot for.
Speaker 2: Him number Eight Jacob, wilson son Of Jack, wilson talk about play. Discipline dude struck out seven times last, year seven twenty five. Times he's. Absurd he's probably going to be a top ten pick in in next year's, draft.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, absolutely he'll be a top ten pick this year. Again kind of if you're looking for a dark horse at one, one it's kind of crazy to call him a dark horse because he's a six' to.
Speaker 2: Three shortstop kind of reminds Me Of jackson holiday in that remember we, you know, of course, YOU know i got to give a lot of credit to, Our Guy. Pete flaherty maybe the best bet that we had last Year Was jackson holligay going number one at plus. Eleven hundred this could be Next Year's. Jackson holiday you got the, blood lines you have the elite, plate discipline you. Have projectability but he Plays At Grand, canyon university so it's you don't see him. That Much jackson holiday a little. Bit different he was a high, school Guy But Grand, canyon university they're not gonna be, you know it's hard to find college baseball games ANYWAY, on tv but rarely you're gonna be able to. See him but he's gonna be a guy that you only really hear about unless you're deep in, the weeds and if you're listening this you. Probably are but there's so much nice things to say about a Guy Like.
Speaker 1: Jacob, wilson, yeah again like, you said play discipline is the. Calling CARD through i think four hundred and twenty eight college, AT bats i think he's only struck out like six percent of, the time which is. Just absurd THAT'S actually i did a little stat digging last night or a couple of nights Ago And nick madrigal through four one hundred and thirty two, at bats so comparable, sample size his k rate was six point. Nine, PERCENT again pac twelve pitching is is objectively probably the best pitching in, the country. Just consistently, but again it just kind of shows you the bat to, ball skills an advanced Approach that, wilson has and he'll also impact. THE ball, i mean he'll be a probably twelve to fifteen home, run guy, High average he's got an above, average. Arnament shortstoff you touch on the blood lines a. Little bit he's a guy who fits great at number eight on the top ten, player list and then also that's probably that could be where he goes in, the draft, top eight top. Five overall so he's going to be a fun guy. To watch he had a great SUMMER at Usa and i'm excited to see.
Speaker 2: Him play another guy with bloodlines at, Number Seven jacob gonzalez Of OLE miss uh one of the best hit tools in, the country no doubt. ABOUT it i REMEMBER when i saw HIM when i went down to That ole, miss series just looks like a, Big leaguer like HE'S just i REMEMBER when i. Saw him he HAD, the uh he had the bleached hair in the back and he was just fielding ground balls and warm Ups and i'm, just like he could go over ted with ted, strikeouts HERE like i. Wouldn't care like he just looks like a. Big LEAGUER but i think his best tool is that, hit tool because he has, good, power like no doubt. About it but it's just he could be a guy who falls asleep hitting. Three hundred like it's just he's gonna hit and he's not gonna. Strike out he's gonna take. His walks kind of Similar To jacob wilson in. That way not as good of, plate Discipline Because jacob wilson is the best plate discipline in. The Country but gonzalez is just a.
Speaker 1: Pure, hitter yeah like, you said it's a left hand and hitting shortstop who will stick there with an advanced hit tool and above, average power and you combine that with the BLOOD lines i think that's a really tough package to pass up on in, the draft and then also in kind of in your rankings ranking the top ten college. Baseball PLAYERS so i think he's right where. He belongs he's gonna have a great season for All miss he's gonna lead that team both on and off. The field, and again he's just like everyone on, this list and guys be on, This list i'm really really excited to watch.
Speaker 2: Them play so there's a. Freshman, here oh he's a freshman. Last year he's going to be a sophomore this Year that i'm ranking at. Number six his Name Is vance Honeycutt At, north carolina and six probably seems a, bit High but i'm MOST afraid i ranked him. TOO low, i mean he's a twenty five, home run twenty nine steal guy, last year and you watch, him play there's nothing he. Does poorly there's nothing he even. Does average he is an incredible. BASEBALL player i think he's going to go number one overall in twenty. Twenty four so.
Speaker 1: You took the words out of. My MOUTH what i was gonna, say is for what, it's worth he's my, right now he's my guy to go one to one in twenty. Twenty four it's an athletic, center fielder. Wiry frame he's got big. Time, juice again you mentioned the twenty five home runs and twenty nine. Stolen bases, this year it's gonna be on the probably the highest. End production we could see him kind of, Spit out but a thirty THIRTY season i don't think is out of the out of the picture. For him he's. That good and the one KIND of i guess weak point in his game last year was he swung and miss. A lot he STRUCK down i think ninety, five times but again he's still at two. Ninety six the production, was there but this fall he cut down on the swing. And miss he's got more of. An approach he's not just kind of going up there and free swinging as he would at times. Last year so what the numbers he could spit out this Year Are golden spikes. Type numbers he's. That good you typically see the award go to, an upperclassman but With what honeycuts got in, THE tank i would not be shocked to see him when the When The golden.
Speaker 2: Spikes number five best two way player in. The country paul skeins Transfer From. Air force this guy can touch ninety nine and had thirteen bombs with a ten to forty six ops. Last year that's what we're dealing. With here that's another GUY, at lsu and he's not even the best player. On ellis this used a Twenty John olerude. Award, WINNER correct.
Speaker 1: I Believe so i'd have to, google IT But i i'll take your word. For it but like, you said he'll do with the bad and on. The mound on the mound actually is where he took a huge step forward. This fall he was up to one hundred, and one which not a, big deal but also right, that's Where Like, wes johnson is going to really pay DIVIDENDS for lsu both this year and, going forward which IS why i think they're set up for a period of sustained success for quite. Some time but his slider took a took a. Massive jump it's now a legit. Plus pitch his change up was probably his best secondary coming into. This year but the slider was really good. This fall it's got big time, horizontal movement it's kind of got sweeper traits, at times and he's really solidifying himself as a starting pitcher at the, next level which. Is HUGE and i think, five Again Having paul skeins at five is a TESTAMENT of i guess how deep college baseball is this year because there's just so much talent up and down. The list, But Yeah i'm, Skeens Again golden spikes type guy one to. One candidate he checks a lot, of boxes so he's he's right there at, number five.
Speaker 2: And Maybe paul skeen should be. Number four but at, NUMBER four i Put In Reek bradfield JUNIOR and I remember i was sitting in the Stands with Arm, with colby with Our, guy Chris and i'm Watching In Reek bradfield Junior and, i'm like this guy might go one one when he. COMES out i think he's the fastest player in any, Level Baseball major, league baseball, College baseball like when we say eighty. GRADE speed i think he's the fastest man who plays baseball currently In The united States. Of america and THE reason i said, that too is because you see the bat, to ball you see elite defensive play in the, center Field and i'm, JUST like i see A Young, kenny lofton and that is a that's a that's almost tired at this point because now it's. Being USED but i swear to you THAT'S what i SAW when i first saw him. Last year And maybe i'm a little bit higher, On Him Maybe paul skeen should be ahead, of HIM but I just i think he's a. FREAKING nature i think he is the most exciting player to watch when there's maybe outside Of, braidonn cup but they're all in the same category because they're. All Awesome But enrique browdfield, junior man do you think he's the fastest player who's currently? Playing baseball, or my my going, overboard.
Speaker 1: Here there's definitely an argument to. Me made and what's crazy is his speed almost, plays up which is impossible to like fathom just given how quick he is just right out of.
Speaker 2: The gate but he's an excellent, bass dealer so he uses that speed and he's so smart on the. BASS pass i remember he was taking like short leads than. Big leads he's, just like he is such, a nuisance such. A, nuisance again that's.
Speaker 1: Perfectly said we touched on it and Talking about vanderbilt earlier in. The show but he's got UNBELIEVABLE baseball iq and feel for. The game he's such a heady and, Smart player like he knows any pitcher that's on, the mound whether it's the starting pitcher or, bullpen arm he, knows them, you know frontwards. AND backwards i spent a lot of time around him. THIS summer i was. Fortunate too and he picks his spots. To steal. He doesn't he doesn't just get on, And, Says Okay I'm. ENRIQUE bradfield i. Can steal he's he knows when when not. To steal he knows kind of, you know he gets a feel for. His lead he'll take different kind. Of leads he'll take a, jump lead he'll take a, walking lead he'll take kind of a. Shorter lead he's just a problem causer and like, you said he's a nuisance and just a thorn in. Everyone's side and then the defense is. The defense if college baseball Had A, platinum glove he'd probably win. It again it kind of just goes back to. His BASEBALL, Like q he's got an incredible, first step really efficient routes to. The baseball he might not have like the bazooka arm that a typical center fielder or corner Guy Like braden montgomery still a Good odd it's it's, a again it's more, than serviceable and he will absolutely stick there and hit and run his way to the.
Speaker 2: Big leagues Number Three tommy tanks is not, number Three But tommy tanks hit twenty seven home runs last year and it felt like he was hitting a home run every. Single Day But, wyatt langford who is number Three, at florida hit twenty six. Home runs like that's How Good wyatt. Langford is AND when I Watch white langford Play, AT florida i don't think, power first which is a Testament To. Wyat langford you might think, power first because of course he had twenty six hour ruds at every single ball that comes off his bat seems like it's going one hundred and ten miles. An hour but it's just like he's so well rounded as. An outfielder, and yeah he might move to a corner when he reaches, the majors but it's just maybe to keep, him HEALTHY because i think he could, play center like he is just such a well rounded, baseball player and he's not, the flashiest like He's Not dylan cruise with. Ferocious swing but for, my money maybe the best all around player in college baseball.
Speaker 1: Right, now yeah there's certainly an argument to. BE made, i mean last year three, fifty six twenty, six bombs great swing decisions and. CONTACT rates i think a key for him will be in terms of going one. TO one i think he's a surefire top five to seven overall selection no, matter what barring. Anything disastrous but last year he played left field for him. Every day, this year he'll play center field if he can show he played he can play center field at kind of a, professional level which by, all indications he did, this fall and he puts up kind of. Similar numbers so last year it's such a big ass hitting twenty six home runs again with AGAINST, the sec but again twenty plus, home runs kind of fifteen, plus doubles kind of demonstrates that elite contact rate and. Swing, decisions again good runner, in centerfield shows he can stick. OUT there i think that's a really appealing package and a pack that could have him go. First Overall so i'm right there. WITH you i think he's probably gonna Win The golden spikes to kind of give. Away that but he's he's a really really good, baseball PLAYER and i think he fits great at number three.
Speaker 2: And number two. Number one we can kind of talk about them in the, same breath because do you like pitchers or do you? Like Hitters Because chase dolander is at, Number Two dylan cruiz is at, Number One chase Dolander, At Tennessee dylan CRUZ, at Lsu and dolander has been compared to Guys Like steven schrasburg in the sense of coming out of, the draft he might be the best pitcher since like that kind of level he lives in the mid to, upper nineties incredible, breaking ball but also something that a lot of college pitchers don't have is the elite command which. He has and Then At dylan cruz kind of like college Baseball As bryce harper in the way just because of the swing and how ferocious it is and how he's going to stick in center BECAUSE he's i think an elite center fielder. Out, there like take, your pick do you? Like pitchers do you? Like hitters who would you rank at number One between dolan Or And Dylan CRUZ because i couldn't decide It's Just. DYLAN cruz i would take the true center fielder who rakes at number one instead of the right. Handed pitcher but that's just. My choice you Might take Dolaner. OVER cruise i wouldn't fault you.
Speaker 1: For, it again it REALLY just i don't think you're wrong in taking either. Of them no matter who you, talk to if someone says They'd have dolan or if someone says They, have cruise someone says they Even have, LANGFORD schemes i don't think he'll be wrong in. Saying that, But, again dolander like, you said probably the most major league ready pitcher in the country. Right now fastball metrics are. Just stupid he's up to like. One hundred he'll again Similar, to waldrip he'll pitch ninety five ninety eight plus slider plus, change up. Starter profile he's a guy that profiles to kind of fly through a system and be an impact arm in a major. League rotation maybe within three or, so years similar.
Speaker 2: Three months, Maybe, again yeah.
Speaker 1: All the pends if he goes to the, PLAYOFF team i don't think that anyone kind of us him out of. A bullpen but. HE'S ready i have no doubt he could get major league hitters out right now and kind of navigate his way through a major. League Lineup But dylan cruz is kind of the comp on the position player side in TERMS of, mlb readiness super advanced, hit tool light, tower power, can run got a good arm and. Center field he's a. Good defender he's kind of the most, COMPLETE player i think in the country with a. Track record he's. A guy in twenty twenty DURING The covid draft he had a ton, of buzz chose to GO. To lsu has absolutely made the most of it and has turned himself into the one to one pick and might be his pick to lose at. This point, But Yeah dylan cruz probably the most impressive, Position player dyland theer most, impressive pitcher and it is going to be a really fun year IN the sec and in. College baseball give.
Speaker 2: Me a comp for both of them before we. Move on and this is an, impossible thing but it always ttilates ME when i hear. A comp, of course we're not going to hold you to it because this iskind of an impossible question because, you know you don't see these guys come along. That much but just to, excite people remember don't don't hold this against My. Guy pete but just when You Watch, chase dolander who does he remind? You of and then when You Watch, dylan cruz who does he remind?
Speaker 1: You Off, With dolander we'll go really lofty here, And say Jacob, De, grom yeah. THAT'S awesome i think this stuff is that good where he's got kind of Like de grom type upside and dominance. In there now that he will be. Staying, healthy obviously there are a lot of variables, in BASEBALL BUT i i think that the the upside is there for him to be kind of a cy young Winner And all star pitcher down. The road.
Speaker 2: It's amazing What, About, cruise ooh it's it's. Really hard this ONE is i think much Tougher than Dolander because cruise, it's like you don't see this type of player come along.
Speaker 1: That, OFTEN yeah, i think, OH gosh i don't want to kill too. Much TIME but i think if you just just looking at him as a hitter as, A hitter i think it's easier to come up with a comp for him just looking at him as a hitter in terms of kind of that advanced hit tool and. Plus power i'll goough with someone in recent memory at the, College Level spencer torklsen just from a sheer hitters. Point standpoint nothing that has to do, with defense nothing that has to do with anything outside. Of hitting but just if you kind of take and isolate two of, his tools the hit tool and the, power tool.
Speaker 2: And that's why he's. So good and that's why he's, so good right Because Imagine spencer torkelsen playing center and sticking, in center not. First base so he's got elite first baseman hit, and power and then you put him in center field with the gun and. The arm that's how good these. Players are let's get into our sleepers. TO up i have a couple SLEEPERS that i want To run byuable to, go team then player my, sleeper team and this is teams that are outside the top. Twenty five my sleeper Team. Is rutgers Looking at rutgers roster like they were one of the best offensive teams in college baseball last year and they're Led By, ryan lasco who's gonna be a top. Fifty prospect and IT'S funny i saw this no returning power five player had more doubles than he did last year with. Twenty four, You know evan. SLIGHT returns i wrote up my first base And second. Base Rankings chris brito was, On There Tony. Santa mario we're both top ten guys at. Their POSITION but i think the only thing that's probably keeping them out out of the top, twenty five and maybe the reason people are sleeping on him is the rotation kind of a. Question mark They Got, jake marshall They Got christian Capolo OR capola i need Someone from rutgers to tell me how, to pronounce but he's probably going to Be the. Saturday guy and they also lost their closer to THE so i understand why the top, twenty FIVE but i think they will be by the end of. This year what do you Think.
Speaker 1: About rutgers i'm with you. On them, and again if you talk about teams that are gonna come out with a chip on their shoulder and be, really hungry it's it's gonna be the guys Out In. New Jersey, with rutgers THEY were i think wrongfully left out of the tournament. Last year they had a great, regular season they were In the big twent they were In The big ten. CHAMPIONSHIP game i was pretty SURPRISED when i didn't see him in the field of. Sixty four again they would turn a lot of firepower on. The offense you look at that three headed Monster with Lasco. Slighton brito brito is a big time thumper, over there fight advanced, Hit tool lasco, center fielder, twitchy guy first second round. Draft pick and then they've got a, True Freshman, max martin who's. Really good he's great on, the dirt really good hands at. The plate i'm interested to see how he hits. This year and then a catcher they've Got, From Canada, hugh pinkney is really. Good too so they're gonna be. Really good like, you said they've got a lot to replace in, their ROTATION but i think they'll be. Just Fine drew conover was a big addition of the bullpen ninety eight bowling, ball, sinkers, sweeper slider chance to be one of the better back end guys in. The Country so i'm with You on rutgers in terms of my. SLEEPER team i tweeted about him about a, week Ago but i'm going to roll With The. WASHINGTON huskies i think that they're the Kind of omaha. Dark horse they bring In Coach, jason kelly who's familiar with. The program he was, great there had a couple Sints At arizona STATE, and lsu but they've got they return almost their entire lineup from. Last year they've they've GOT the i think they returned forty five of their forty eight. HOME Runs aj guerrero was A Freshman. All american he hit three HUNDRED with i think ten home runs and. Fourteen Doubles johnny tincher behind the plate is. Really good he's a. Solid backstop he at. Three Fourteen will simpson at first base has big time rob power eleven. Home Runs michael, snyder again he had four hundred IN. The nycbl one of the best transfer is actually kind of outside OF the sec and in those. Loud names maybe the most underrated transfer Is Pitcher. Keefer lord he Came From Carlton COLLEGE division iii school and he has, electric stuff especially as especially as. His fastball athletic kid projectable frame fastball is up to ninety nine in this Fall with carrie kind of a shorter slider that that looks like a cutter, at times but he's he's going to be great and with kind of Pitching Guru jason kelly at, the helm he's he's in. Good hands case matter is another guy on, the arm who's on the mound who's. Really good he's got a great, arm again he's he, moves athletically he's got big vlow he averaged ninety three to five on his fastball. Last year his slider has sixty four percent mystery. Last, year again they're a really kind of. Complete team they're going to surprise a lot of people both In the pac TWELVE and i really really hope selfishly they get into a REGIONAL because i think that they're going to, be really really tough out and a team that could very well make It.
Speaker 2: To omaha what A pitch washington team. To watch my. Sleeper player the first baseman out An Air Force. Sam, colisse yeah six two. One ninety he's not eligible to be drafted until twenty, twenty four but he just raked At air force last year and from both sides of. The plate he's a switch hitter who hit four to eleven with an eleven seventy ops and twenty Twenty Two Mountain west player Of, the year tons, of contact doesn't, strike, out, doubles machine, really athletic and he's the guy who, you know we Talked About trey morgan maybe he could move to the Outfield like sam moved to, The outfield like he is that kind. Of ATHLETE and i put him at ten in my first base rankings just because the Competition At air force In The, mountain west like isn't incredible and it's tough. To gauge but he was a GUY who i looked kind Of Like peyton stoveall in, second base even though he was just outside of HIM where i, was, LIKE ugh i want to put, him HIGHER but i don't KNOW if i can fully. Prove IT but i think he's going to be the one to prove it in twenty, twenty three love the. First Baseman Can't sam classingham Out Of. AIR force i think kind Of Like paul skeenes Went From AIR. FORCE lsu i think he's going to be one of those guys wherever it WAS like i need him.
Speaker 1: To, TRANSFER yeah i think obviously at any service academy or in a unique situation when it comes to being a. Pro prospect but like, you said four eleven with twenty six doubles and twelve jacks is really really tough. To ignore played a little bit of the outfield this Summer in newport WITH. The anycbl he can just really. Really hit he's a, sound defender and like he's playing In The mountain west and a lot of hitter, friendly ballpark the numbers are going To, BE yeah i think really really loud. This.
Speaker 2: Year yeah and.
Speaker 1: Then in kind of keeping that, same theme my sleeper Guy Is spencer Nivens At missouri state centerfielder or chance to play center field at the. Next level the batted ball data. Is unbelievable he had three forty six, last year, twelve doubles, eleven jacks swing decisions and approach are, really advanced four to forty three on. Base percentage had a great summer in the lesser known. Prospect lea he was more just to kind of get him reps and keep. Him moving but he's a GUY that i think, that model particularly model based teams are going to really fall in love with come. Draft TIME and i would not be shocked to see him Go on day one of, the draft maybe even in the top sixty to sixty.
Speaker 2: Five. Picks wow, Great, Pick Peter, pete, Flaherty amazing thank you for coming On The Just. Baseball show we're going to be Talking to pete an during the season going over college. Baseball stuff. COLLEGE baseball i kind of got into it a couple of, years ago and ever since it's become kind of my, secret love love diving into all. This stuff Arm. And jack they got you for the. Minor leagues that's why you go check out the. Call up but in terms of just, College baseball i'm not the best, at projecting, you know future talent in terms Of draft that's why We Have, Pete flaerty that's THAT'S why I. Have jack but just watching, COLLEGE baseball i know TALENT when i, see it or AT least I think i. DO it i try to talk about it on. This podcast hopefully you guys all. Enjoyed It opening day Is, On friday Texas. Versus fandy.
Speaker 1: Who's winning i'll Go With tim Corman. AND fanny i think they're gonna have a really. GOOD year I Think carter holten's gonna set. The Tone and i'll even. Go deeper, I'll Say enrique bradfield three for four with a double and. THREE bags i think it has.
Speaker 2: THREE triples i think it was three for four to. Three triples you imagine. That unreal that's the kind of Player At Rique brownfield hopefully you guys enjoyed this college baseball preview for twenty. Twenty three make sure to Go Follow pete Flaherty. On twitter It's AT. Peter. G flaherty you can find that in the. Episode description you can also find a lot of his Work On. Baseball america we have a ton, Of Podcasts Who's, Better Baseball The Just Fantasy, Baseball Show The Call Up Not. Gambling advice we're churning out content over Here On just baseball dot com and On The Just baseball show And. On friday so this you'll, find this of course in your podcast Feed, on thursday but you won't Find it friday morning in Terms of friday's episode like you, normally Do Because jack RAM and i are doing a big production for my top one, hundred players so mostly Come out friday later and then you'll have it for the entire weekend and then we get into our top ten. By positions We Got World baseball, classic content and if you're, in need if you are Searching For World baseball, classic stuff head Over To just baseball. Dot com we have, team previews but we're gonna be covering that closer To The World. Baseball classic ARM and i will also be There in miami from the seventeenth to the twenty first Covering The World. Baseball classic tons of content coming over Here At, Just. Baseball pete before, we go plug anything, YOU need i.
Speaker 1: Was gonna say you got it With, the socials and then Check Out baseball america for anything that you know you might be, looking for and then, obviously unsubscribe resubscribe to All The just. Baseball shows check. Them out they do an unbelievable job. At everything and it was great to be on the show and chop it up, with You and i'm excited to be a guest in.
Speaker 2: The future this is one of my favorite episodes of. THE year i love doing this. With you we've done, it now this is our second year, doing IT and i can't wait to do it. Next year but YOU And I wake forest is Winning in omaha. This year they're. Our team can't wait to. Watch them and, with that thank. You everybody