Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine, Hey Bessies.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright Side, it is the inimitable Juliana Margalize. She starred in TV's most iconic shows, including Hello Sunshine's very own The Morning Show, and she's making a long awaited return to Broadway in the new play Left on Tenth. So today she's sharing how luck has played a role in her career, plus why she had to scold her a longtime friend, George Clooney on one of his life choices. It's Monday, January twenty seventh. I'm Simone Boyce.
Speaker 3: I'm Danielle Robe and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Okay, Danielle, you know what time it is. It is on my mind Monday. Hit me with some food for.
Speaker 3: Thought, please, Okay, Well, I have a question for you when it comes to success.
Speaker 1: What's the bigger factor? Luck or hard work? Hard work?
Speaker 3: Reallymm hmmm, it's a just classic debate. You know, the best quote I ever heard about luck is that luck is like a bus and you have to be at the bus stop to catch the bus, but if you miss it, another one will come by. So I think it's maybe a combination of both for sure, As with anything in life, there's a gray area. Yeah, like timing matters. Well, it turns out that research may have some answers. There was a recent study featured in Forbes that revealed that nearly half of employees believe that luck outweighs hard work when it comes to building wealth. But here's the kicker. Evidence shows that it's not just luck that gets you there, it's about what you do with it. So this article breaks down how hard work and smart strategies can actually turn those lucky breaks into long term success. Forget about superstition and lucky charms. This is really about creating your own opportunities. So I want to dive into some of the key tips that they shared, and this is by personal finance strategist Jamie Wall. She outlined four ways to turn career luck into success.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm really curious. Let's hear it. What's up first?
Speaker 3: Okay, first up, Build and nurture your network. So you've probably heard it before. It's not just what you know, it's who you know. It's attending events, it's connecting on LinkedIn, it's building relationships that can open doors for you.
Speaker 2: And we've talked about how annoying it is whenever. People only reach out when they need something, So don't be that person. Okay, stay in touch with people, that's the thing. Like it's just like taking a genuine interest in someone's life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny because we just talked about this, we were texting.
Speaker 1: Okay. The second tip is stay informed.
Speaker 3: Luck favors the prepared, right, So that's kind of the bus stop analogy. Whether it's subscribing to industry newsletters, staying on top of trends, or just keeping your skills sharp, we all have to position ourselves to seize opportunities when they come our way.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, that's interesting. Stay informed, I mean awareness is part of the game, right. I think awareness also ties into relevance too, Like, if you're aware of what's going on, that probably means that you're relevant in your field and you probably have a better chance of succeeding.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's really well said. And last, but not least, practice financial discipline.
Speaker 1: Ooh, this is hard.
Speaker 3: So even if luck comes knocking, it won't mean much if you're not managing your resources wisely. So the writer says, build an emergency fund, track your spending, start investing all the things.
Speaker 2: Basically, it all adds up over time. That's really smart. I'm actually working on that right now, like getting together a financial discipline game plan for the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: It's huge.
Speaker 2: Well, as you were telling me about this article, something struck me. I think the people who are questioned for this study is actually the most telling part of this study. So you said that Forbes surveyed employees, right, and they believe that luck outweighs hard work when it comes to building wealth. I actually think that's really indicative of an employee mindset, like when you've been working for a certain corporation for a long time, or you've been working for someone else. I think that when you give entrepreneurship a try and you work for yourself, I think you really start to see that hard work can outweigh luck.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't always happen.
Speaker 2: That perspective shift doesn't always happen until you're on the outside of a corporation doing it on your own.
Speaker 3: That is really interesting. I think that I know this sounds woo woo, but hear me out. Yeah, I think people who feel lucky get luckier.
Speaker 1: For sure. It's all thoughts. It's all how you perceive yourself, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and so it's like, to me, the harder you're working, the more you're like, if you're working really hard for something, you're really kind of expecting luck or wanting luck to hit at some point, and so like, the harder you work, the luckier you get. Is that saying? But I think there's truth to it because of the mindset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's power in just believing you're lucky, you know, like moving through the world with this mindset of I am lucky, things naturally come to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It does sound silly and woo woo, but it really works. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of career success and luck, our guest today credits a lot of the success that she's had in both her professional and her personal life to luck and chance. Julianna Margalis has been lighting up our screens for decades. You've seen her on Er, The Good Wife, and more recently The Morning Show, and now, for the first time in eighteen years, a chance encounter brought her back to Broadway. She's currently starring in the critically acclaimed show Left on Tenth, where she stars alongside Peter Gallagher.
Speaker 2: Oh love him too, Oh my gosh, I am so excited to hear this conversation. I was at Disney World with my kids when you were doing this, and I was so bummed to miss it because I just love her and love her work, and so I have a lot of questions for.
Speaker 1: You about her. Okay, shoot, okay.
Speaker 2: So she always has this really grounded, almost quiet authority in her roles, and I was curious if she had that same calming presence in person. Oh, that's a great question. Yes she did. Her presence is very calming. And you know what's interesting. I read her book a few years ago.
Speaker 3: It was called Sunshine Girl, An Unexpected Life, and in it she detailed this sort of very chaotic upbringing and I always thought it was interesting that that was juxtapose against what seemed like her natural calm nature. And also like the roles that she chose were so put together, and her role on The Good Wife was like this very precise person. Yeah, and she seems that way in real life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Does she have a silly side or is she more like serious? Yeah?
Speaker 3: She was really fun and she talks about old times on set with George Clooney and told some really great stories about that time. I can tell she likes to laugh, which I really appreciate.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes she's one of us. Then, yes she is.
Speaker 3: You know, there's one thing from her book that we didn't actually get to talk about in the interview that I think is worth mentioning. She wrote about this story that when er was going to be over, she was going to leave the show, she was offered twenty seven million dollars to stay. And nowadays that seems like a huge amount of money, but back then that was even more like that was a huge amount of money, and she had this instinct to leave still, And so she called everybody in her life and asked them what they thought, and they all said, I mean, you have to stay.
Speaker 1: That's life changing money, Like you gotta stay.
Speaker 2: I'm staying. I'm right, I'm staying. I'm staying right where I'm at.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: So she goes to the Body Tree bookstore and she opens up this old Buddhist book and turns to a random page and it says learn more, not earn more. And she thought, wow, I have my answer. She wanted to learn more and not earn more. So she walked away from the twenty seven million dollars because of a book, because of the Buddhist But and I think her heart. She really, I really think I one of the through lines of this interview that I found with her is that she really follows her heart.
Speaker 1: She knows herself. That's really admirable.
Speaker 2: I think you have to have a few millions in order to be able to turn down twenty seven million.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, she recognized that she was in the position to do so. But I just I think that says so much about her. She has a lot of a lot of heart and a lot of integrity.
Speaker 1: I like to learn more, earn more.
Speaker 3: Framework Yeah, well, I think let's roll it without further ado. Here's my conversation with Juliana. Juliana, welcome to the bright Side.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: I have been wanting to interview you for so long. Now I get to because you're currently on Broadway starting in Delia Efrin's play Left on tenth and audiences have been loving it. Critics have been raving about it. I love that the show is an adaptation of Delia's memoir. So for those who are not familiar with the show, will you tell us a little bit about it?
Speaker 4: So Delia Efrin, who is Nora Efren's younger sister, there's four Efren Girls, all writers. Delia and Noura worked on a lot of screenplays together. Delia wrote You've Got Mail, they did Sleepless in Seattle. Nora was known as the you know reinventor of the romantic comedy, and Delia established herself in her own right as a novelist. And Nora, in twenty twelve died of something called Milo dysplastics syndrome, which is bone marrot cancer basically that can morph into AMML, which is leukemia. And Delia happened to be Nora's match for a stem cell replacement for a bone train but when they took Delia's blood, her marrow was a little, as she says in the play wonky, not exactly sick, but potentially sick, so she couldn't be Nora's bone marrow donor for a bone marrow transplant. There were no other matches in the entire world, and Nora died, and so Delia, three years later went through another horrible cancer story with her husband Jerry of thirty three years, who died of prostate cancer. All this time, her own possible disease was hanging over her head, so she suffered these two deaths, and six months after her husband dies, she writes an offbed in The New York Times called Love and Hate on Hold with Verizon because when she went to disconnect her late husband's landline, Verizon also disconnected her Internet, and it was her only conduit to the outside and she could not get one human being on the phone. It was all prompts anyway, So she wrote an op ed in The New York Times when she couldn't get anyone to fix her internet, and a long lost a man that Nora had set her up with on a date when she was eighteen, wrote to her through her website to say, I just want you to know I love your article in the New York Times. I had the same problem with my late wife's phone. And by the way, we know each other, or we knew each other, your big sister Nora set us up when we were eighteen. All of that to say they end up falling in love over email. I mean it was to Delia it was a joke because she wrote, You've got mail about two people falling in love over email. And here she was, after all these horrific losses in her life and sort of feeling like I'll just live out my days and die. She starts falling in love with someone that comes blessed by Nora. They fall in love, and pretty soon after they fall in love, she finds out she had what Nora had and she has full blown leukemia. And there are no matches because she knows she's Nora's only match and she knows there's no matches for her.
Speaker 1: But I think it was eight years later.
Speaker 4: In the science world is huge because at this point she can do a haplochord transplant where you don't need a match.
Speaker 1: You can use a.
Speaker 4: Donor and a cord blood that a mother donates after giving birth. The baby's cord blood has very strong stem cells, but there's not enough of them, so use an adult one and then the baby cord ends up taking over in the adult one face away, and you end up with a baby's bone marrow. Basically, it is a twenty percent chance of it working. Wow, and it worked and Delia. It's interesting because Peter Rudder, her husband. Now he's a union psychotherapist, and he sees life in such a positive way because when he was seven years old, he saw his mother get hit by a car in front of him and die oh wow. And so, as he puts it, the worst that happened to me when I was seven. So in a magical thinking way, nothing worse could happen. And so when Dielia gets sick, he says, we can do this, and he never leaves her side for one hundred days in the hospital. And this is all true, This all happened. I mean, there are emails that Peter Gallagher, who plays Peter Rutter, and I say out loud to each other that were lifted from their emails. I feel so lucky to be a part of such a beautiful story. And it's funny and it's also really gut wrenching.
Speaker 3: So you laugh and you cry. That should be the experience. That is what theeter's supposed to do. That's what art is supposed to do. You know. One of the things that stuck out to me was that there is this idea of what is it called a confluence of events that happens, and like I've heard it called synchronicity as well.
Speaker 1: They call it synchronicity too, yep.
Speaker 3: And it felt to me that this happened to you in such a confluence of events or syncratic way, because you met Delia on the street because she lives by you, and that's kind of how this happened, which is an unbelievable moment. But that idea of fate or second chances, the unknown even has sort of been a through line in your life. I loved your book so much, called Sunshine Girl, Oh thank you, but it's the full title is A Sunshine Girl an Unexpected Life?
Speaker 1: What is the Unexpected life? Part?
Speaker 4: Never in a million years did I think that the life I live now would be true to me, because I came from such chaos and not without love. I had tremendous love.
Speaker 3: My mother.
Speaker 4: Is a narcissist, she'll admit that to anyone, and her needs came before her children. And they were divorced when I was a very little girl. I was probably a year old when they separated, and we moved all over. We moved to England, we moved to France, we moved back to New York, we moved back to England. I mean, there was never any consistency or I never felt.
Speaker 1: Held where I was.
Speaker 4: I always felt like I had to figure out how to hold on and keep going. So the life that I have paved for myself through that journey.
Speaker 1: I mean, it makes sense now.
Speaker 4: And when I was writing the book, I learned so much more about myself, and so it was obvious to me as I was writing the book. Of course, I became an actor. I was always putting on someone else's shoes. I was always trying to fit in to the right culture or the right school, or the right accent or the right like. I never felt that I belonged anywhere because I was always an outlier. Sort of became my superpower because I knew how to assimilate quickly anywhere. Anyhow, I always thought once I became an adult, I was like, so nothing worse could happen. It was like, you've been through a lot worse, kid, you can do this. And that's always my record in my head is like, you can do this now. I think a lot of it is also because no matter where we were, I always had love. I was never abused, or we would be living in the worst circumstances, and there was so much love. It wasn't that I didn't feel wanted by them. It was that I didn't feel wanted by my circumstances and my school and my friends, and it made me insecure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, We're going to take a quick break, but we'll be right back with Julianna Margalize.
Speaker 1: We're back with actor Juliana Margalize.
Speaker 3: Juliana, I want everyone to hear about how you and Delia first connected.
Speaker 4: How did you meet? So there I was in twenty twenty one Sunshine Girl. An Unexpected Life had just come out, but it was pandemic, so I couldn't do a book tour. And I was walking my dog down Fifth Avenue and I got to tenth Street and another dog was sniffing my dog. And this woman saw me and she pulled her mask down and she said, I loved your book. My name's Deelia Efren. Oh my goodness. It was her dog that was sniffing my dog.
Speaker 3: And I heard that you always wanted to be a part of an Efrine's sister's work, Yes, which is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I think they're movies.
Speaker 4: Didn't you want to be in every movie of theirs that you saw and be in their orbit? And you know this idea, it's like it's of another era, because romantic comedies they're off the forties and fifties, you know.
Speaker 1: I don't know they were of the nineties.
Speaker 3: Too.
Speaker 1: I grew up with them.
Speaker 4: Well, yes and yes, but the way they made them was so beautifully old fashioned, even though it was two people emailing each other, well, you know, it was.
Speaker 1: The wrong coms when falling in love was cool? Yeah, you know. Wow, that's such a great point.
Speaker 3: But you're known for these really hyper dramatic, intense roles.
Speaker 1: What kept you from doing a rom com all these years? It's interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 4: I think I think you get you get put in a box sometimes, especially on a series, and with Carol Hathaway. I loved playing her, and to this day, I'm so happy that I was part of that group of people. But you know, once you play the same character for six years, I think people see you that way.
Speaker 1: So when casting a.
Speaker 4: Movie, they go, oh, Julianne would be great for the dramatic role. They it would never think of me as the funny person. I also think I think drama comes easy easy to me because I come from drama.
Speaker 3: You know, we've talked a little bit about chance, but you mentioned Carol Hathaway, your iconic character on Er, and I was reading that that role kind of came about by chance.
Speaker 1: Will you share that story?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I auditioned for a recurring character.
Speaker 4: I blew that audition because I was angry at the casting director because they made me wait two hours and I had two other auditions to go to and I didn't. I hate being late, so I blew the audition and I went in kind of snarky in the audition. I was twenty five years old, so I would play things very differently now. And then he said, you're not right for that part, but there's a guest starring role in the pilot. We'd love you to come back and audition for her. Name's Carol Hathaway. And she dies right, and I said fine, and I got the part, and I died in the pilot. And then my sweet friend George Clooney, I don't know why he did it, but he called and left me a message after I flew back to New York, and he said, you might not die.
Speaker 1: Your character tested really high. Don't take another job, and you had another job lined up? I did. I had another job on Homicide Life on the Street.
Speaker 4: They were going to I had guest start on that for two episodes, and they were going to bring me back as a series regular.
Speaker 1: So I called it.
Speaker 4: Dear friend, of mine, and I said, I don't know what to do, and he said, take the new show because you never know, and this job will always be here if you want it if it doesn't work out, and lo and behold it worked out.
Speaker 3: You know, in every single interview you do, whether you're hung Kelly or Ellen, like anything that I look back on, everybody asks you about George Clooney, and I understand why, because he is George Clooney.
Speaker 1: They also ask him about you all the time.
Speaker 3: There's something about your friends show do oh yeah all the time?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, thank you for taking that, Danielle, because I always wondered about that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, God, I always talk about George. I wonder if they ever ask about.
Speaker 3: Me they do well, I'm curious about because sometimes Hollywood friendships they don't stand the test of time. Always yeah, and yours with George really has. I'm wondering what that was at the beginning, that click that because for him to call you and leave a voicemail and then for you to give up another job when you're kind of a new actor who probably needs the money, there's a lot of trust there.
Speaker 4: So for me, because I was so new, it it all First of all, he was so much fun on the set, you know, and I'd never been on a set like that. I had done one Law and Order, I think, and I was petrified. That was the first TV I ever did. I think he had done fourteen pilots, and so he kept saying to all of us, you know, I've done a lot of pilots, man, but this one feels different. And I could tell that he had the experience. He was also very warm and kind and friendly, and I wasn't afraid to ask him questions, and so I knew he was trustworthy.
Speaker 1: And we all got along so well on the.
Speaker 4: Pilot, and all had a big dinner when it ended, and I waved literally like I said bye, everybody, ilays go heading back to New York, and I said, good luck with the pilot.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to watch the show. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I felt like maybe he saw something in me and my participation as a human being with the rest of the actors that were the series regulars, that was something different to maybe the girl who did get the recurring role but her part didn't continue in mind did so maybe it was a chemistry thing with acting, with just liking each other. We liked each other off the bat. He loved that I love to drive, and you know he he used to be.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't think he has anymore, but I know he doesn't ride a motorcycle anymore because I scolded him on that one, the last accident. I was like, you have a wife and children, now, George, how about no? No more a good friend. He's known for all these pranks on set, did you pring? I never pranked him. I always thought anyone pranks George Clooney is such an idiot, because that would scare me to death.
Speaker 1: I never ever pranked him.
Speaker 4: I remember a couple of crew guys, you know, we had on the set of The r Everything was real, so we had lubricants and we had ivy drips and everything was real. And I remember a bunch of crew guys looped his trailer door knob and I was walking by his trailer and I saw him trying to get in and he couldn't grasp the door, and I thought, whoever did that, They're going to die. And he waited, he could wait a year before getting you back. And I knew that about him, So no, I never pranked George clooney. Patience is so deadly with a prankster. It's such a deadly combination. Yeah, because if you have the patience for it, then the person never knows when you're going to strike.
Speaker 1: That's so funny to me.
Speaker 3: You know, you mentioned that you would ask him questions, And I just saw a video of Jane Fonda on stage somewhere speaking and she said, no actor I've ever been on set with has ever asked me questions or advice except for one person. And Meryl Streep was in the audience and she said, Meryl asked me questions about our craft. And I've heard you say that you've been on set and nobody asks you questions.
Speaker 4: It shocks me. My dad always said to me, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Yeah, And I think that is the best way to learn. And so when you're on a set with people who have been doing this for a long time, who know the ropes, who are experienced, why wouldn't you ask questions? It's only going to make your life richer. Let's just say you don't even learn from it. You'll get a great story, but you'll always learn from it. I think it's the best lesson in life.
Speaker 1: What do you think they're losing by not asking those questions?
Speaker 4: What you're losing is a deeper trust within the relationship that you're working on on screen than those characters, right, Because if you feel really comfortable with the person you're acting with, you're going to do better work because you're gonna be braver, be Causon's got your back. And it's when I say to Peter Gallagher all the time. I love working with him so much because he worked with some of the greats. He talks about Jack Lemon and James Cagney and how generous they were with him as a young, up and coming guy, and the lessons he took from that. And I always say to him, you know, I mean, he's done eleven Broadway shows.
Speaker 1: This is only my second Broadway show. This is his eleventh. So I ask him every question under the sun.
Speaker 4: And it makes playing with him on stage every night even more fun because he knows I trust him, and I know he trusts me to listen, because acting is listening.
Speaker 1: You don't really have to do much. I always equate it to tennis.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like if someone hits a really hard and you're not as strong or as good as they are. Really, all you have to do is put your racket out and get it in the right position. Their power will give your ball power, and that's acting. That's a great analogy. So I think it's a missed opportunity on so many levels. To get to know someone, to learn, and to feel safe, you have to be brave, and I think brave people ask questions, and I see it in their work.
Speaker 3: I always think of a question as an invitation, and that's why it feels vulnerable, because somebody could turn down your invitation, but most of the time they don't.
Speaker 1: So I completely agree with you. That's a great analogy. Yeah, I agree. I agree.
Speaker 3: We have another short break, but don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with Juliana Margalise. And we're back with Juliana Margalise. You have a new move be coming out called Miller's in Marriage. It is so good. Your character in the film deals with being an empty nester after her kids go to college, and your son in real life will be going off to college soon. How are you feeling and are you considering how you're gonna want to spend your time? I know you love to work, But are you going to be traveling? Are you going to be reading what's on your heart?
Speaker 4: It's so interesting. And maybe it's because I had my son later in life. I was forty when I got pregnant, So it's not that I'm looking forward to him not being here. I'm just looking forward to other doors opening because he's not here. So, I mean, we have a small family, but we're so interwoven that it will feel, I'm sure in the beginning like my arm is missing. Yeah, but the amount of work I've turned down over the past seventeen years because it was out of the country or six months in another state won happen anymore. I can now say yes to the play on the West End, or to shooting a miniseries in Germany, or my husband's company. Every month he's on another trip somewhere and he always says, want to come, and I can, of course not, I'm not coming. One of us has to be home with the kid. I'll go on those trips, you know. I look at it as, yes, it's going to be a sad time in the beginning, just to get used to it. But I'm also really good at adapting to change and I'm really excited for him. I'm excited for him to find his lane and discover who he is as a man in the world, you know, And I always say to him, nothing is more important than finding what brings you joy, you know, like part of the Unexpected Life. The subtitle of my book is that I never thought I could make a living doing what I love. Few people do, I know, And how luxurious is that to be able to get up and go to work every day and love what you do.
Speaker 3: I think that is the element of your story that keeps coming up for me when I was researching or reading about you. Do you think about how much of your life was like happened by chance or how much was in your control?
Speaker 4: How much was your perspective on it? I think a lot of it is how the stars align. Er happened when it did and how it did and with all the other shows around it, right, you have to like, it's hard to remember that fart back, but it's thirty years ago that Er and Friends and Seinfeld and Cheers were all on NBC on Thursday nights. It was the Thursday night lineup. We've had so many golden eras of television, but that was the golden era of television. That was like, no one was out on a Thursday night.
Speaker 3: Weren't like forty million people tuning in every week for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, our pilot was a two hour pilot and it had a forty four million viewership on his opening night.
Speaker 1: It's like the suit a million.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, that's Super Bowl numbers. So and that was before you know, Cable was just starting. HBO hadn't quite started yet. So that's luck, right, And also the way the stars aligned with all of these actors mostly unknowns except Anthony Edwards, who was known in the film world but not in the TV world at all, and he had never done television before. So all of those elements that came into this one giant Petri dish and then blossomed into this show that was such a mega hit worldwide. And that my character that I was only supposed to be on as a guest star in the pilot and die. Anything could have happened to me if I hadn't gotten that call from George who knows. And then even with The Good Wife, the only reason I knew about The Good Wife is because my agent at the time represented an actress who turned it down, and she called me and said, I have a script here that I think is fantastic and I think you should read it. And I read it and I said, oh my god, I love it. Are they interested in me? And she said yes, her client had turned it down. And I said, well, I don't want to be sloppy seconds and she said the best thing to me, she said, when you're up on screen as Alicia Florik, no one's going to know that anyone else.
Speaker 1: Was supposed to play her, but you.
Speaker 4: So again, I went in through the back door in a certain way because I certainly wasn't their first choice.
Speaker 1: And that's okay. I'm okay with that you were the best choice, though, well you know, it worked out. And so.
Speaker 4: I think for actors especially, it's hard not to walk into the room with your ego. And I think the most important thing you can do as an actor is less go of ego.
Speaker 3: That's so beautiful, Juliana, And I think the ego element is so resonant, not just for actors, although I do think that great acting is sort of like magic, because you're you're having this like double life, almost your your most vulnerable self, and at the same time a totally different person. It's like an astonishing double act almost. I love your love for the story and for the written word.
Speaker 1: And I know your dad was a writer, and so you have so much respect for the written word.
Speaker 3: Your dad gave you a book of Mark Schighal art and you said you love his work because his paintings are joyful. And I've noticed in your interviews that word joyful comes up a lot in different ways. Why do you think you're seeking joy? Why does that come up? So that's a great question. I didn't realize I used it so much. So when I look at something, I want to feel good. When I see art, or listen to music, or watch film or theater, clothing, anything, I think we're all really seeking joy. You know, we live in a world where we have to seek out the joy. Joy doesn't seem to be the most natural element of social media.
Speaker 4: Joy doesn't get headlines, right, Tragedy gets headlines, gossip gets headlines, maliciousness gets headlines. Joy doesn't. And yet most people, I can pretty much guarantee if you ask them, would they rather be sad or joyful? We'll tell you joyful. What's bringing you joy?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: My God, well, so many things.
Speaker 4: I really get pleasure out of the littlest things in life.
Speaker 1: That's a gift.
Speaker 4: It's gonna sound so corny, but I love waking up in the morning because I look forward to that first sip of coffee in the morning. It brings me so much joy. And my husband and happens to be a much better coffee maker than I am, and he makes the coffee in the morning and I smell it as I'm waking up, and I just think everything is good when I'd smell that coffee. And I have this I'm addicted to word games and I play wordle with a bunch of people. But it just brings me so much joy in the morning because we're all connected, and I like to start my day. I like to wake up sort of just finding all the little things that bring me joy before I have to go in and attack the day and get to the lists of things I have to do. And my family brings me tremendous joy. Just walking my dog in the morning brings me joy because you could be in the worst mood and go and walk your dog and they do one thing and they just make you smile. I always say, any person who suffers from sadness should get a dog because they're so they bring you joy. And then, honestly, no matter how tired I am and eight shows, we can be a grind.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait to get to work.
Speaker 4: Wow, I love it so much. I always go backstage when they yell five minutes before places. I like to go because I have to tap dance in this I had to learn how to tap dance.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: You get to add that to your resume and like random skills, you know, like when you had to put random skills when you're starting out and everyone lies and says, I know how to ice skate.
Speaker 1: She can do a soft shoe. Yes, yes.
Speaker 4: I once did a mini series one of my favorite jobs. Actually, it was called The Mists of Avalon, based on Marion Zimmerman's book, and Uli Adele was our director, and he had asked every single actor could they ride horses because it was the only mode of transportation at that point in time. He wanted to have these big, sweeping scenes of galloping on horses with our silk robes. And I was so excited because of course I was a horseback rider yet.
Speaker 1: But when we got to progue. Where we shot the show.
Speaker 4: There were quite a few actors who did not know how to ride horses, and that track he couldn't use them in the scenes. He even and he was like he was He's German. I love him so much, but it says, I was a resume. You ride a horse, but you look like you're bumping around. And Jelaicae Houston and I were in that together, and of course she's a very accomplished question and so he loved that she and I can really ride, so he could just send us out with second unit and he was like, oh, gallop. But I always say, like, don't write anything you can't do, because you will be asked to do it.
Speaker 1: And still everyone does. Still everyone does because they want the job.
Speaker 3: One of the coolest things about being an actor is I think when you get to the end of your life, you are one of the most interesting people in the world. Like you understand you have all these hobbies, you understand things about almost every culture, and like you you have all these skills.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable. You have to dive in.
Speaker 4: You have to learn about the person you're playing, so you have to learn all those things, and it is You're right. I'm always amazed that I get paid.
Speaker 1: To learn new things every day. You're amazing.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for joining us on the bright Side today. Juliana Oh, I loved it, Danielle, it was so fun. Juliana Margalize is an actor and author. Her Broadway show Left on Tenth is playing in New York and will wrap its limited run on February second. You can catch her film Miller's in Marriage in theaters and on digital on Friday, February twenty first.
Speaker 2: That's it for today's show. Tomorrow, we're learning how to Pause your career with power. Naha Rush is here to talk about her new book, The Power Pause. Join the conversation using hashtag the bright Side and connect with us on social media at hellos Unshine on Instagram and at the bright Side Pod on TikTok oh, and feel free to tag us at Simone Boyce and at Danielle Robe.
Speaker 3: Listen and follow The bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: See you tomorrow, folks. Keep looking on the bright side.