Speaker 1: Dear Latino USA listener.
Speaker 2: Before we start, you should know that if you want to listen to this episode ad free, just join Plus and you can join for as little as seven dollars a month. Joining also gets you behind the scenes access and yes, some cheese may so click the link in the episode description and after you do that, then click play.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the.
Speaker 2: Show, or Latino USA listener, I want to tell you about a new show from Futuro Studios that we just launched with iHeartRadio. It's called We Excited with Maria Garcia. It's a really fun video podcast where Maria dives into pop culture moments from the present in the past, and then she tells us what these moments reveal about ourselves. And you know, Maria loves pop culture. You probably remember her previous podcast series Anything for Selena about the Tejano singer Selena Kintanilla, and also the podcast My Devo about Mexican musical icon Juan Gavilla. Well, this time Maria Garcia is back to reflect on topics like why did the power couple of Mariah Carey and Lis Migul not work out? Or why do many people, especially Latinas yearn for Shakida's Black Hair to make a comeback. Well, today we want to share with you the very first episode of Muyi Excited. It's about the one and only Ricky Martin. Here's Maria with the first episode of Mui Excited, Enjoy.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you about a moment earlier this year. I was at my friend Ruby's house. We were gathered to watch the Benito Bowl. Apparently there's some sort of sporting event happening at the same time, but we were sat for Benito Antonio Martinez, oh Gassio. Okay, Well, we weren't exactly sad because all of us adults were standing in a semi circle, entranced by the magic of Bad Bunny's performance that starred in the sugarcane fields, all the Latino venders, the actual wedding. It was the joy, the nourishment we needed at the time. And then we see him dressed in all white, his voice firm and smooth. It is the one and only Ricky Martin singing arguably one of the most political anti colonial anthems of Bad Bunny's catalog, Loke Hawaii a quie against statehood for Puerto Rico and I am in awe of this moment. I know immediately the potency of the symbolism. Here, here is the artist who most represents what some people called the Latin boom in the late nineties, the moment in history when US audiences were suddenly like, oh gosh, darn, look at these fiery Latins. They exist. And now, about two and a half decades later, Ricky Martin stands before us, not performing in English to a white audience for recognition or acceptance. No, he stands before us, singing a song of resistance in Spanish. And I stand there acutely aware that I would remember this moment for decades to come, that this was a Touchstowe moment, not only for the long storied arc of Ricky's career, but for the complicated narrative of Latino belonging in the United States. And then my trance is interrupted by the choir of boys behind me. Who is that? Yells my eleven year old son and his two best friends, And then all three of us moms turn around and yell, what do you mean that's Ricky Martin? And the three preteens say, who's Ricky Martin? And then I realize I have failed my child. He has grown up knowing about Juangareel de Carleon, Selena, Prince, Kate Bush, and so many musical icons who paved away. But I have done him a disservice by not teaching him about the man who had to live a vida loca so bad Bunny could do. And I'm going to be honest, I feel that I have also failed myself because I've written a lot about the late nineties Latin boom, which that term is sillly, and we're going to talk about how even Ricky knew it was a weird concept way back when. But anyway, I have written a lot about this historic moment, but I have very on Brad centered the diva of the moment, jay Lo, Shaquidra, the og predecessor, Selina, and I have mentioned Ricky, but I have never gone deep on what he meant. Betro Yeah, no more. I'm gonna do right by my son, by all of y'all out there who may not know, or who may have forgotten, just how much this man did for the culture. Because let me tell you, whether you are Latino or queer, or just someone who is trying to live more authentically you have something to glean from Ricky Martin's life and legacy. This man was out here figuring things out on his own, surviving child's stardom.
Speaker 3: I want to talk to you because you are the cutest thing I have.
Speaker 1: Seen being fetishized by American media.
Speaker 4: You can call the Puerto Rican el and you.
Speaker 1: Can understand why scrutinize obsessively about his sexuality.
Speaker 5: And with you, there have been and the rumors that question I'll talk about your sexual orientation. You must be aware of Bason, of course.
Speaker 1: And ultimately he stayed true to himself, to his roots, to his integrity. So let's fucking go. This one's for Ricky Martin. This is morely Excited, the show where we explore cultural moments of the past and present today, the meaning of Ricky Martin's evolution.
Speaker 3: In the tradition of radio classics. Here in Tails of the Night are the stories, horrors, and legends that inhabit the streets of Mexico and liber America. The darkness of the most successful and acclaimed horror podcast across all categories in Latin America looms over you now. In English, Tales of the Night, You're in now, but be warned, because in the Silence of the Dog, you might just become the next protagonist of Tales of the Night. Listen to Tales of the Night wherever you get podcasts.
Speaker 1: Enrique Ricky Martin Morales was born on December twenty fourth, nineteen seventy one, in San Juan, Puerto Rico. His mother was an accountant, his father a psychologist, and by the early eighties he stars in commercials for Orange Crush soda and for Burger King. I encourage you to watch this episode on YouTube so you can see how sweet he looks in nineteen eighty for when Ricky is twelve years old he joins boy band Menudo. He is teeny tiny when he joins the boy band, which is like a Latin American Jackson five. We cannot gloss over Menudo. They were huge. Their fandom was very Beatlemania esque, with mostly young girls screaming franetically anytime they were close to the boy band. Manuda was such a cultural phenomenon that the band is seared into people's most formative memories. Here's my friend and La Brega editor Lauda Bettis and Puerto Rico, who remembers when Ricky was introduced in the band.
Speaker 4: I was three years old, and I remember vividly not only watching him, but what I felt, how it felt, it was so exciting, and how I thought he was the most beautiful boy.
Speaker 1: You can see the frenzy when the band, including newly integrated Little Ricky, was a guest on one of Oprah's early TV shows. I want to talk to.
Speaker 3: You because you are the cutest thing I have sued.
Speaker 4: When you first knew that.
Speaker 1: You were going to be picked to be in this group, what did you do to go home and celebrate? Well, all my parents, two of my family.
Speaker 4: Yes, listen, don't purr back there. We gotta hear her, all your family.
Speaker 1: Ricky's hair is perfectly corved with layered strands raining his little face, and he looks dowie, earnest, maybe a little nervous. His English still a bit halting and disco fight.
Speaker 2: You went to a disco.
Speaker 5: Hardy after that?
Speaker 1: Oh, a disco party. Now, twelve year old Ricky doesn't just join a boy band when he joins Menudo, he joins a strict, very regimented machine with a strategy on youth. Every member of Menuda was cycled out once they were sixteen or seventeen, when their voice is changed or they got facial hair. Menudo was a chronic youth group, but with the responsibilities and pressures of adults. Many years after Ricky's tenure in Manudo, other band members will say the band was riddled with abuse and untenable pressure, but Ricky has never said anything negative about Manudo on record. In fact, in the late nineties, he tells Rosie O'Donnell Manudo provided him with preparation.
Speaker 3: Manuda was great.
Speaker 2: I mean five years of intense discipline of working a lot. You know, if I had to start all over again, I would do it because I guess I'm where I'm at today because of the discipline that I got being in a.
Speaker 4: Band like this.
Speaker 1: So this is his entire adolescence. He sings in Spanish and English and French and Portuguese. He turns on the charm and he is great at it. Other band members have said Ricky was like the golden boy of Menudo, and this is his life until seventeen years old, when he inevitably ages out of the boy band. A couple years later, he puts out his first solo record in Spanish, self titled Ricky Martin. We're gonna include this video in our show notes so you can take a look at Ricky with his perfectly wavy beach locks, with an Adonis fysique, shirtless with only a sleeveless open black vest hanging over his shoulders and a big silver Gothic cross on his glistening chest. He's wearing wide like black jeans with a big belt buckle, and he is swaying those hips smiling at the crowd. Honey, he is giving hot vampire muse Okay, like the vampire less Scott would want to spend eternity with this man. Look, there's a lot to say about Ricky Martin's character and his kind heart and his long career, and we're gonna get to all of that, but Babe, we gotta take a moment to just state the obvious. This man is absolutely gorgeous. Not to be weird. There are beautiful people out there, and then there are beautiful people, and he is beautiful in capital letters. Gon mucho respeto with love and admiration from my queer heart. You know, for me, Ricky was always in the background, and I grew up knowing he was massively successful and beautiful. But I feel like I took him for granted. You know, I was too obsessed with the divas, just you know, not realizing how gay I was. But when I spent hours going through archival videos of him for this episode, I was like, Oh, my goodness, this is a once in a generation of beauty. This is the kind of man who'd made to find bus and sculptures of had he lived in Grecian times. So I could not do one episode on Ricky Martin without a proper acknowledgment of his beauty. Anyway, Ricky's first album is a major success in nineteen ninety one. It's one of the highest debuts for a Latin artist under Sony, and at this point he's on a roll. His second album, Skyrock, is to the top of the Latin charts, and he soon named Top New Latin Artist at the nineteen ninety three Billboard Music Awards. He then ventures into acting, does a sitcom role in English here.
Speaker 3: Huh, I brought you this of You?
Speaker 1: And then no big deal. He lands a regular character on General Hospital, one of the biggest soaps in the United States. He plays a singer named Miel Morris.
Speaker 2: I just found out a friend of mine as ages and uses satiny deeply.
Speaker 1: By the way, Ricky Leader says he hated going to the general hospital set he doesn't feel comfortable. Remember this is nineteen ninety four nineteen ninety six. Our man is often the only Latino in the room. I imagine it slonely. So he returns to his love of music and he releases his third album with a chart topper Maria. For all of you young ones watching, who they think, Oh this is Senyora music, Babe, let me school you a little, okay. First of all, Senoras are cool, okay. Second, this song fuse together Flamenco, salsa, dance and Afro Caribbean rhythms. Was there at the time an industry push to use some of these sounds in Latin music. Yes, but I also think ar Brimo Ricky Martin was out here evolving the pop song formula. This song is everywhere, and I think seeing Ricky become an international hit while being so legible as a Latino meant a lot to people. Here's futuro producer and hardcore Ricky Martin fan Gini Montalvo, who was growing up in Georgia when this song came.
Speaker 3: Out Go Ahead. I just remember that song like blew my mind because I was discovering my Latinidad, also as a teenager having grow up in the most non Latino place.
Speaker 4: On the planet, and God, that song just meant everything to me.
Speaker 1: Maria also solidified Ricky Martin not just as a beloved Latin American star, but a global pop king in the making. And then, because he can and he's a man of many talents, he's like, Okay, I'm gonna try Broadway now, and he plays a lead role Marius Pontmerci in Le Miserrab. After Le miss Is when things get really cooking, Ricky returns to the studio for his fourth album, Vuelve, which lands him a Grammy nomination. And I'm not talking about a Latin Grammy. This was before the Latin Grammys ever existed. I'm talking mainstream English Grammys. Ricky Martin is set to perform at the award in nineteen ninety nine. Actually, he's going to sing the Cup of Life, his FIFA World Cup song, which by the way, has been hailed as the best World Cup anthem of all time, and he absolutely devours Oh I can't play the song here but I have a video about it on my Instagram. Maria is mo way excited with underscores between every word. This is a historic performance. The music industry, including the Grammys themselves, officially recognize this moment as the defining event that ushers in what people call the so called Latin Boom. I really can't overstate what a momentous performance this is. I ask Puturo Senior producer and Ricky Martin Loyo Fancini Montalvo again to describe what it was like watching this on TV.
Speaker 3: Like, I literally I remember standing in my living watching as these like it looked on Bonus like came down the aisles at the Gringo Grammys.
Speaker 2: This was before the Latin Grammys, the last year before the Latin Grammys were inaugurated, and like people were so excited.
Speaker 1: So naturally we get to the era of Ricky Martin. You probably remember when he was living La Vida Loca and becomes the first Latino to debut a song at number one on the US Billboard two hundred charts. He draws the largest crowd in the history of the Today Show. Up to that point, you've recalled the Puerto Rican Elvis and you can understand why he's proud. All graming is when the boat we gathered, when Elvis Presley would.
Speaker 5: Goada die on the green and probably with the Beatles.
Speaker 1: Ricky appears on the cover of Time Magazine and Rolling Stone and also New York Magazine, Interview Magazine, People, Team, People, and Entertainment Magazine and Ricky Mania is real. Here he is on the Rose O'Donnell show the day his English album releases.
Speaker 3: I've recorded in many languages, but come on English, it's so important. And then let me tell you something.
Speaker 4: America is in love.
Speaker 1: With you, right, that's important. I want you to remember that Ricky saying how essential it is to sing in English. But let's get something clear. Even at the height of English Ricky mania, he is adamant. He'll never abandon Spanish. Here's Ricky with Jay Leno.
Speaker 2: I will not stop singing in Spanish.
Speaker 1: Better now that he is considered a pop star in the United States. While American journalists start prying into some rumors about Ricky.
Speaker 5: You know you could stop. You could say, as many artists have, Yes, I am gay.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with guess what another Quinn when she interview from the two thousands and also the not cringey way. Ricky Martin responds and rises, it is the year two thousand, a year we love on the show, and Ricky Martin releases his second English album, Sound Loaded, with a hit lead single, she Bangs. We need a moment to talk about this video. The premise is hot Horny Underwater Club, and it starts with some really fine octopus men, no, literally half naked men with cgi octopus tentacles. Most everyone in the video is half naked, actually kind of twerking. There's some girl on girl grinding. Almost everyone has a certain look on their face, lip half raised, looking a little feral. At one point point, Ricky is laying down with his shirt open, with various hands rubbing his body, his blue jeans unbuttoned, and he's making all kinds of faces. I can't play you the music in this episode because of copyright laws, but if you follow me on Instagram, I have a real showing you this risky video and explaining why I think it's the predecessor of a certain bad bunny song I met Maria is we excited on Instagram with underscores between each word. Anyway, the conventional thinking of this time is that artists have to cross over to the English market. No one in this era, or at least that I can remember, really challenge this notion in a big way. And you know, it's very clear that Ricky is treated by US media as a sort of hot Latin lover trope. But you know, when I see she bangs, I don't see a Latino artist necessarily pandering to a trope. I think that would be a lazy take. Is there maybe some artistic engineering around his image? Like does his team maybe play up his strengths, I e. He's beautiful and sexy and an amazing dancer and creating this really exciting fusion music. Yes, does US media then take all this and play into a trope? Also? Yes, Billboard magazine called him a hot Tamali, which Tamalis are Mexican and also the singular of tamales is tamal. A grammatical hill. I will die on a personal pet peeve of mine, But anyway, grammatically incorrect cliches aside, The coverage around Ricky feels charged at this time, in most notably a now infamous interview also from two thousand and.
Speaker 5: With you, there have been the rumors that question, I'll talk about your sexual orientation. You must be aware of biggers.
Speaker 1: M of course, when Barbara Walters tries to make him come out.
Speaker 5: You know you could stop. You could say, as many artists have, yes I am gay, or you could say no, I'm not, or you could leave it as you are ambiguous. I don't want to put you on the spot. It's in your power, and I'm bringing it up, Vicky, because you know you want to be named for giving me the opportunity to express.
Speaker 1: The rumors.
Speaker 2: Reever.
Speaker 1: For some reason, I just don't feel like it. I love that answer, I just don't feel like it. That should be enough, and it feels like it was an answer that was ahead of its time. Why would he come out on her terms in an ambush moment?
Speaker 4: And I love that.
Speaker 1: He centers his feelings. I don't feel like it new mantra, Babe. I don't feel like it period. You know now coming out is kind of antiquated in some circles, Thank goodness. A lot of queer people nowadays don't need to come out because well, they were never in, never living in a heteronormative straight reality. Pababe. In two thousand, the entire public world was a heteronormative, straight reality, and coming out was a big deal. It was risky and could hurt your livelihood, not to mention the emotional scarring of someone trying to force you on national television to come out. Ricky wrote this in his memoir quote, it was a topic I constantly struggled with, one that caused me a lot of pain and anxiety. And every time someone wrote in an article that I was a homosexual, or each time this was asked of me in an interview, and not very so, it pushed me further away from my truth. The rumors and questions only increased my insecurity and my self rejection. They reminded me of all the reasons why I was uncomfortable in my own skin. At times, I felt I hated myself because it was always presented under such a negative lens as something scandalous and bad. It reinforced my desire to deny. Oh, Ricky, we Love You. Coming off of Ricky Mania and his massive success in the US, Ricky releases a couple more albums, one in Spanish, another in English. In two thousand and eight, he becomes a dad, welcoming two baby boys, He talks about loving being a dad, and it really suits him because there's always been something really tender and caring about Ricky. We really see this. In twenty ten, inspired by his children and the legacy he wants to leave for them, he comes out through a statement on his website. It's a long statement, so I can't read it all, but I really encourage you to. It's quite touching and earnest. Let me read you some excerpts. Quote. To keep living as I did up until today would be to indirectly diminish the glow that my kids were born with. Enough is enough. This has to change. This was not supposed to happen five or ten years ago. It's supposed to happen now. I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I'm very blessed to be who I am. I am blessed to be who I am. Wow you are, Ricky, we all are. What a pioneer. The next year, in twenty eleven, Ricky releases Musika Alma Sexo, which is a critical hit. A few years later, he stars as a coach on the Voice Australia. He releases another album in twenty fifteen, which wins a Grammy for Best Latin Pop Album. He gets married, then divorce, does some acting, and in twenty nineteen, when Puerto Rico's governor was exposed for homophobic text messages, including about Ricky himself, Ricky Martin flew home and was one of a few cultural figures who joined hundreds of thousands of protesters forcing the governor to resign. Here he is protesting in a clip from Bloomberg News. I want to contrast this moment in twenty nineteen when he's protesting with a point he makes in his memoir. He writes, quote, I think that one of the reasons why I found it's so hard to accept myself was because in my profession, I have often been considered to be a Latin idol, a pop star, and for some a sex symbol. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that I'm Latin, or it has to do with the global image of the quote Latin lover. But I always had the feeling that certain things were expected of me, among which was the fact that I was supposed to seduce and allow myself to be seduced by women. Maybe if there had been another artist, another Latin idol who had come before me. I might have been less afraid, but the reality is that I didn't have a role model, and that, in my mind, helped make the whole thing entirely inconceivable. End quote. I bring up this quote because the so called Latin boom was both a touchstone for Latinos but also harmful. I believe that the way Ricky Martin was framed prevented him from being the full dimensional person he is, and he had to write the script on his own. How to come out and to come out with a message of self love and celebration. How to come back to singing in Spanish, to his original audience, to his artistic roots even after the crossover success. How to be very publicly Latino without pandering to the reductive notions of Latinidad of the time. And look did he always do perfect? No ask me how do I feel?
Speaker 3: As how do you feel?
Speaker 1: But I believe Ricky Martin's legacy changed the game. I'm not trying to be cute when I say bad Bunny is able to be as free, as unapologetic as he is because of the iterative and very real progress Ricky Martin made. Remember when Ricky Martin said.
Speaker 4: This, I've recorded in many of that, or just come on, English is so important.
Speaker 1: Isn't it kind of stunning that we went from that to Bad Bunny in just two plus decades saying this about singing in English.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 1: That clip, by the way, is from an interview with The New York Times. This popcast, I don't think we could have gone straight to Bad Bunny's defiance. Ricky Martin had to set the stage, not just as an artist, but also as a queer person. I think of how Juan Gabriel couldn't really come out a generation before, and then Ricky Martin did, but with a lot of controversy leading up to it. And now artists like young Miko can be as queer as they want on stage. People don't necessarily have to come out all the time anymore because queer elders like Ricky once had the courage to do so, or so, for example, Jenna Ortega can be as goth and as eccentric as she wants. Latinos are less and less beholden to the fiery Mummy or hot Latin lover trope. I believe Ricky Martin played a key role in that cultural evolution. Art has lineage, queerness has lineage, and Ricky Martin, in my opinion, is an important elder in both of those lineages. Maybe a Zaddy elder, but really I think one hundred years from now, Latinos will use Ricky Martin's long career arc to understand belonging and history in this country. Or actually, I think we can take it beyond that. I think Ricky Martin's legacy, as our producer Britney Cronan pointed out to me, shows the evolution of Latinos and queer people beyond belonging in the US. The key to understanding this is in Ricky's performance of Lokelepas Hawaii at the Super Bowl. This is arguably the most high profile anti colonial anthem of our time. It's a cry against statehood. It's a rally for resistance, and I want to talk about the specific section. Ricky sings Noel lavandera nilviden Elelolai geno ko nio Lokele Hawaii. He sings. The Lelolai is a traditional vocal improvisation sung by Hivarros. The song is imploring Puerto Ricans to hold on to cultural specificity to collective memory, to identity as resistance and bad Bunny in the song is not asking to belong in or to the United States in any way. In fact, Lokelepas Hawaii is the opposite. It is saying we do not want to belong, We want to hold on to what is ours. And how powerful to have Ricky Martin seeing this verse the artists who the industry in a way forced to belong to the American mainstream, insisting on framing him within these tropes of latinidad hat straight Latin lover that flattened his dimensionality, but no more, what a joy it is to see him break free from those stereotypes. And because he has, he has given all of us, including my son, who will know who Ricky is, permission to do the same. And in this way we all, Oh Ricky Martin. We Excited. Is written by me Maria Garcia and it's produced by Futuro Studios in collaboration with Iheart's My Gultura podcast Network. Our senior producer is Marta Martinez. Our associate producer is Brittany Cronin, with support for this episode from Roxanna Aguirre. Our editor is Marlon Bishop. Our production manager is Victoria Estrada. Our graphic designer is Juan Carlos Belaes, Mixing by Brandon Grugel at Multitude and legal review by Jonathan Fisher. Our executive producers are Marlon Bishop and me at Futuro Studios and Futudo Media was founded by Maria Inojosa. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomez and Arlene Santana. You can listen to more episodes on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcast, and remember you can also watch us on YouTube. It's very fun there, and if you like our show, please don't forget to rate and review. It really helps us. I'm your host, Maria Garcia. Thanks for listening, See you next time. Latino USA is made possible in part by Latino Community Foundation, building a flourishing Latino Future, Skyline Foundation and the TAWL Foundation.