Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds. And the Senate has passed a sanctions bill named for the late Senator Lindsey Graham. We have such a great show for you today. The Majority Report Sam Cedar stops by you talk about Trump's bad economy and the increasing bill for the endless war in the Middle East. Then we'll talk to Senator Tammy Duckworth about her new resolution addressing the Trump administration hiding the death poll of the war in Iran.
Speaker 2: But first the news.
Speaker 3: Smileye, we got some rough job numbers. Everybody's been astounded. Our economy has stayed strung the song. But a lot of those people who've been thinking, wow, we've averted the recession are starting to go row.
Speaker 1: So listen, this is a bad These are bad numbers. This is revised the prior two months job reports by one hundreds of thousand jobs. It shed twenty three thousand jobs in July. That's a sign that the labor market hasn't stabilized. The unemployment rate ticked down. There's another problem with the two right, which is that it also showed that workers' average hourly earnings also fell short, and wage growth was just zero point one from June or three point two from a year ago. And that's below inflation. So that means that things are still getting more expensive and your wages are not keeping up. And look, we all know, I mean, this is the elephant in the room, right, Like we know tariffs are making things more expensive. We know tariffs are not bringing back my manufacturing. I mean, look, there are three things this administration is doing that are making things more expensive. Tariffs, deportation, because it means people aren't coming to work, and the labor market is tight, and if you're building a house, you know one day all your workers might be arrested. It creates instability in the market, which makes things more expensive and makes people more freaked out and less likely to build things. And then the tariffs, and then the high price of gasoline, and then the president you know, gases up like almost two dollars, and then you have Donald Trump saying, you know, the war's over, the war starting, We're going to blow them to smithereens. I mean, what Donald Trump has done, which is what's really I think hurting the economy ultimately is like all the credibility of the White House has been squandered. So it used to be that when the government did things, you may not like it, but you sort of trusted it, and all of that has sort of been eroded by almost two years of trump Ism. So we find ourselves in a situation where, and we know this to be true, it feels like the president is the most interested in things that benefit him and the least interested in things that benefit the people who put him in office. And you know, even with these executive orders, like he has just signed a bunch of orders. One is a birthright citizenship another worth right citizenship order, like these are things that will not make life less expensive. Like if you were laser focused on affordability, the first thing you would do is you would end the tariffs, you would end the trade war. You would encourage everyone to bring their prices down. That would, you know, cut inflation by a little bit, and then you would end the war and ran and that would cut gas prices. But that's not what's happening here. He's just focused on stuff like that. And supposedly the reporting is that he's going to do a executive order on childhood vaccines another thing that is both unpopular and unhelpful, and that does not help anyone. So that's where we are. And it's just as such a stupid time to be alive. Is it the stupidest time to be alive?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it's the stupidest time to be alive.
Speaker 3: Well, that will be evidence by our next headline, which is that Trump is freaking the fuck out just not stop truths about the judge who ruled his ballroom is illegal.
Speaker 1: Remember, like earlier in the week, we had Donald Trump almost firing Judge Box of Wine over the reflecting pool. Why because she would not support his lie that the reflecting pool was actually somehow damaged by vandals when it's very clear, like on Earth one, we know that the reflecting pool was damaged by shoddy workmanship. So here's the new thing. He's crashing out over a federal appeals court ordering him to stop construction on the illegal White House ballroom. Remember, he never was meant to do this in the first place. He got no approvals, you know, like this was all illegal to begin with. So the reason why he's crashing out is because he knows this is a problem for him.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a two.
Speaker 1: To one ruling that said that he has to seek approval from Congress for the exclusive authority to demolish White House structures. FYI, the structure already demolished, and at this preliminary stage, the National Trust has shown compellingly that Congress has not seeded unfettered authority to the executive branch to dramatically redesign, reshape, and reconstructed the White House the People's House, to fit a particular president's desires. I think it's a really an important point because so much of the last eighteen months, almost two years has been Donald Trump just running roughshaw over Congress and Congress being pathetic. For example, I think about Senator Cassidy today, who decided to vote for Todd Blanche despite the fact that Donald Trump has ruined him right, has made it so he lost his primary. Even in spite of that, He's still voted to bring Todd Branch through the committee and into a general vote. And it's just such incredible amount of cowardice. These people cannot stand up to Trump. Even when Trump is pulling at the Bush line below the Bush numbers are at the same as the Bush numbers. They still cannot stand up to him, and it's because they're cowards.
Speaker 3: So another story that is just a perfect summation of what the Trump era is like is that the Trump administration has refunded one hundred billion dollars in tariffs. It's all going to corporations who are now saying we have record earnings to drive up their stocks instead of the people who paid them.
Speaker 2: Yes, who could have seen this? Is this capitalism? Who could have seen this?
Speaker 3: Car It's this stage of capitalism for sure.
Speaker 1: Major corporations. They're getting hundreds of millions of dollars back for tariffs you are not. Some of these companies have raised their prices, some haven't, some have sneakily raised their prices, but either way, they're making bank on your tariffs. By the way, it's not like the tariffs are gone either. Trump just put them back on. So they're getting paid back for tariffs that are going to come right back on. And also you're not getting any money back, which is just an insane way to be. So the Tax Foundation estimates that an average US household spent an extra thousand dollars thousand dollars as a result of these tips. Remember how we were talking about how Donald Trump is not focused on affordability. Here are there are people who are making choices between like food and gas. Okay, and here's Donald Trump an extra thousand dollars because of the tariffs. I mean, this guy is so stupid. And by the way, I just want to point out the new thing he is using, the new law he's using to enact these tariffs was from the Smooth Holly era of tariffs, like smooth Hollie. You'll remember Smooth Holly because it brought on the Great Depression. I mean, it is literally like being in hell, like everything is so incredibly stupid.
Speaker 3: Yep. Well, we do see a sign in Trump's script on the GOP with the loss of one representative, Andy Ougle's, who you may remember as one of the biggest racists and a hotly contested contest inside the house. He really was one of the most vile, disgusting, disgusting racist people to tweet every day, and he has lost his primary.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So again, this is an important story for two reasons. One is that it shows the really diminished power of Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Number one.
Speaker 1: So Trump used to be a king maker, used to be able to endorse anyone he wanted make them the nominee. Everyone from Roymore to herschel Walker to carry Lake. You know, a rogues gallery of some of the worst politicians, the least talented and most you know, ideologically insane politicians.
Speaker 2: And that is no longer word looking for him.
Speaker 1: Representative Andy Ogles is the second Trump backed House candidate to lose this week, okay, because mar Hassan lost in Michigan, and by the way, he was running against someone who had dropped out. Trump is now up to six failed endorsements this primary season. That's six, okay, which is more than in twenty eighteen, twenty twenty and twenty four. In twenty twenty he had four. I mean, it's just like, what you're seeing here is that Donald Trump his power is diminishing, and that's what we're watching here, and that I think is meaningful. Donald Trump has always had a like a lock on his face, and the fact that that is not working anymore, I think is meaningful. I also want to talk about one thing that Donald Trump said to punch Bowl today. He said, Trump argues he doesn't need to be campaigning on behalf of Republicans, telling Punchball he already won his own race. He added that he doesn't know if his supporters will go out and vote for GOP candidates, claiming they're not angry at me, but they are angry at Republicans. I don't think that's right. I think they are angry at him. The anger of the base problem is a real problem, and like that Democrats are feeling that too, and that I really do think is a failure on the part of Republicans because they're in power right now, but also Democrats to some extent, a failure to deliver on promises. Right, Like, these people voted for Trump because he said he was going to make things cheaper, and now the average family is spending one thousand dollars more because of tariffs which don't even work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just unbelievable, unbelievable energy, but exactly the type of energy we get from this administration.
Speaker 1: Sam Cedar is the host of the Majority Report. Welcome, Welcome, Sam Cedar.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you, Molly. It's a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 5: It's fun to see you.
Speaker 4: Glad to see you.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: So we have these.
Speaker 1: Numbers, these economy numbers. I feel like every day is groundhog Day. Right, it's not working. The Terriff's don't working. The endless war in the Middle East, we thought, I mean that always seemed like a great idea that's not working. Like it just feels like everything Trump is doing is not working, and somehow he doesn't. You know, the job numbers. We're seeing these revisions like and it's just like typical Republican president stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think there's two things, right. I mean, I think there's like a really major structural problem with our economy that I don't think like, you know, the second half of the Biden administration, let's put it, you know, largely because of Mansion in cinema, but also of Biden allowing the process to drag out the way he did twenty twenty one, because there was a lot of great stuff in the American Rescue Act that would begin to address some of this stuff and ended up basically sunsetting and then built back better, which I think was going to address some of.
Speaker 2: This manufacturing, certain.
Speaker 4: Manufacturing, I mean all of like the industrial policy, but also like sort of like support for parental leave and you know, an extension of the erin income or the child tax credit credit. Yeah, there was a lot of things that would have addressed essentially our k shaped economy. The antitrust too also would have addressed this. None of that was sufficiently addressed under Biden, and the Trump administration is doing nothing but sort of like embedding the case economy. I mean Exon and was it Exon and Mobile came out with their largest profits quarters in the history of these massive money juggernauts. So we have this increasingly wealth disparity which ends up hurting people in a myriad of ways. We have this inflation. Now, the job numbers came out today, they were negative territory. Yeah, Kevin Hassett would have you believe that that was a function of like, well, now there's no more immigrants.
Speaker 1: I mean that fucking die. So he said, well, don't worry because the jobs. Yes, there are less jobs, but there are less people to take the jobs. When you don't know how social security works, this makes sense.
Speaker 5: But when you realize that that means there are less people paying into social Security, that means there's less growth, there's less workers.
Speaker 2: There's us that the economy is affected by that jet but.
Speaker 4: Also it sort of puts to the lie that they were taking our jobs. Right, well, that I'm seeking our jobs. Why did the jobs go away? Like I mean, like like it doesn't make any sense. If they went away, where are the jobs? Then there should be extra jobs, and there's not. Wages are depressed, wage growth is down, which also indicates there aren't jobs for somebody to go to. I think we're at some type of peak in terms of women having to work two jobs. None of it's working, and you get into really really dangerous territory where you start to see the economy flag and inflation still creeping up, and then you're talking about stagflation a little bit. So I mean, the economy is a crap show. The Trump is never going to address the structural issues with it at all, right now, definitely not. And I have this to say as a sidebar. You know, the the economy has to be addressed in a structural way. I mean, it has to happen or we're going to keep going bouncing back and forth between fascists and you know, just basically non fascist. But I'm most scared about things like, you know, the agencies that have been completely debil both from a every other day you find out a new you know, Republican version strain of diarrhea that people are getting because of whatever food is not healthy and the irs seems to be essentially completely broken, like just broken, and people aren't getting their refunds. We're obviously not auditing people with money anymore. Real problem.
Speaker 1: And it's worth remembering that the child tax credit actually like lifted half of all children out of poverty. Like it was wildly successful. It wasn't like a weird experiment that might have worked in twenty years, like it literally worked. Republicans, and with the help of Christian Cinema, who now lobbies for data centers, and Joe Manchin, who wants to come back and.
Speaker 2: Does the political spotlight.
Speaker 1: With the help of those two, it just expired, like just no fan fair nothing. So I do think that's a really important point. But I do also think like Trump is pretty clear that he just wants corporations to make a lot of money and rich people and mostly himself and his family to make a lot of money. And what I think that nobody is talking about here, and I think we should be talking about it is how angry voters are. Because voters are really mad, and they're mad. I think in a way that we will not really be able to get the full picture until after the midterms, but they're knocking out incumbents left and right. Republicans are getting creamed, and you know, Trump plus ten, Trump plus fifteen, and even Democrat Democratic incumbents losing like and ultimately this group I think is going they I think they want to see real change, and I think that these four years, these two years of trump Ism, or these eighteen months of Trumpism have made them only angrier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I I mean, I totally agree, and I think I mean, I think there's I think there is a general anger. I think there is a unique anger towards the Democratic leadership, I.
Speaker 2: Guess the established stablishment.
Speaker 4: I think there's two things going on there. I think one, we're seeing, like, you know, really a fifteen year project from Occupy Wall Street, where the left is you know, organizing, coalescing, getting understanding what they need to do, finding the vehicles in which they can do this. I mean, I think that's part of a process. You know, we saw that with si Ed this week. I also think that there is a broader, non ideological anger towards the Democratic Party, which is you guys suck, you like you suck on a competence level, not on an ideological level, although that may come through, but like.
Speaker 2: You just want fighters.
Speaker 4: But it's also like there are these issues that I think it's it's not just that they're not fighting and that they're ineffective, right, I mean they're failing. They failed. They did not beat Donald Trump. They failed. They haven't stopped any of this. But also I do think that like you know, Agaza has become I mean, it's not a limus test, it's more of like a ticket to entry, Like what are you talking about? You know, if you can't answer this one question, what are you talking about? There's no way. I mean, this is what was really interesting to me about the race this week in Michigan. The most interesting dynamic, it seems to me, was Malory mcmurrow, because she was sent there as the cavalry for the failure of the Democratic establishment to have enough self awareness as to even like a quality candidate. I mean, Hailey was aside from her positions, which I think were bad positions to have, particularly in this environment, particularly around Israel, She's just a bad candidate. She wasn't crisscrossing a Michigan yeah, not articulating things well, you know, she got like defensive about her voice and it's like, I'm sorry, let's grow up, you know. So mcmurrow was sort of primed to become her replacement essentially at this race, and the fact that she couldn't pull it off, and she is like just a better candidate than Haley Stevens genever speaking, but the fact that she had to maintain a certain issues set to get into position to get the money that Haley Stevens had, that's what doomed her. I mean, there were two things that basically doomed her in my estimation, but the biggest was when she decided, like I've got to go after Hassan Piker and it's like, nobody knows who you're talking about, But why doing that? She's doing that for the donors, right, Like, yeah, she's doing that for the donors. And so there's this interesting sort of like catch twenty two that like mcmurrow represents, which is, if you're not going to go the populist route, if you're not going to go the route where you know, Israel Gaza is an eighty twenty issue in the Republican the Democratic Party right now. Yeah, if you're not going to go that route, you're gonna have to take money that's going to put you on the wrong side of that eighty twenty divide. And so there's a real sort of interesting dynamic at play, and it's not going to play out too much more because we got our uh we're almost done with the primary season, but it's really interesting for the future.
Speaker 1: I also think that the underwritten story here, like there's so much anxiety in the punning class about like is this the radical left coming?
Speaker 5: And the reality is, like doctor el said, it's a good candidate. He speaks really well. Manei out apologics money in your pocket, Medicare for all.
Speaker 1: Like that's I want that, Like that's those are simple things that people want.
Speaker 5: And I think with Mallory, you she just wasn't as good a candidate.
Speaker 1: But I also think that I think you're right, and I think the Democratic establishment kind.
Speaker 2: Of blew it.
Speaker 1: I think of Daniel Biss who won that very hotly contested Illinois primary, and he was a candidate who ran Jewish from Israeli family. Grandmother was a Holocaust survivor, and Apak came in and said, if you do not support unconditional ads, we're going to come into this primary and we're going to take you out and we're going.
Speaker 5: To spend against you. And he said okay, And he made his whole campaign. I mean, he's quite smart. He was the mayor of Evanston and he's he's a mathematician he taught, I mean, very smart.
Speaker 2: But he made a big part of his campaign him running against APAC.
Speaker 1: And the importance of having in Israel that does not do things that hurt you is ultimately besides hurting Palestinians. And I think it was very effective yeap.
Speaker 4: What we're seeing as an analogy, when Elon Musk went to Wisconsin a year ago April to win the Supreme Court for Conservatives there, his presence, the eighteen million dollars that he dumped into that race actually became a liability, I think. And that's what we're seeing now with APAC. I mean, you come in with sixty million dollars from APACK and it's almost like you're going to lose. That's an interesting dynamic. I think that's that's going on there, and I don't think that's gonna change. I think there's a lot of anger. There's a lot of frustration with Democrats from the Democratic side, and I think that's we're in the sort of like the harvest of that anger that has been sown.
Speaker 5: Sam, I have a question for you, because like we're both liberal Jews. People will say to me, they're mostly Republicans, but some Democrats will say, like, the left has become anti Semitic.
Speaker 2: What do you say to that?
Speaker 5: Because I often say, like, well, tell me something anti semitic that Al Faeid has said, and the keyn't they say, well.
Speaker 2: What is happening there?
Speaker 4: What they're talking about, I think is they're conflating Zionism with Judaism. And I have a lot of theories as to why that happens. I mean, you and I, uh. I think I'm a little older than you, but we grew up. I mean, let's put it this way, the Holocaust when I was my son is thirteen. The Holocaust was a closer to temporarily from when I was thirteen then my son is, to when Kurt Kobang killed himself. And so, like I think many people who are still growing up with that specter, there is a fear. I certainly I know that in my Jewish education, it was you learned about the Holocaust and then you learned about Israel as the sort of like the response to the predicati of the Holocaust. And personally, I think this conflation is in and of itself is anti Semitic. When Jews do it, they're obviously not doing it out of an anti Semitism. I think they're doing it out of, frankly, like an ignorance or a trauma or whatnot. But I could tell you, like I had a guy who went to my bar mitza, went to my sister's bar mitzvah, went to my other sisters bar mitzvah, probably spent half a dozen Satyrs with us over the years, maybe more. Oh, my dad a year ago and ask if I was anti Semitic. And then my dad wanted to know if I was going to invite this guy to my son's barmitzva. And I'm like, guess, no, I'm not going to. I'm not going to allow any Jews at my son's.
Speaker 2: This year because you're anti.
Speaker 4: San Yes, I mean so, I think in some instances it comes out of a genuine fear. I think there is also a conflation and a knowing inflation mean Zionism and Judaism. The fact of the matter is is, if you're genuinely concerned about anti Semitism, you should look at what's happening on the right. I'm not saying that there is an anti Semitism on the left. There's a Semitism everywhere on some level, but or at least a bias towards Jews, but there isn't anything remotely close on the left as to the right. If you're going to break it down in that way, it's just it's an absurd comparison.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: What they're talking about is they're they're they're they're pushing back against anti Zionism. And I think sometimes you know, when you look at like Mamdani and Abdul say Ed, people are responding to the fact that they're Muslim, there is a lot more Islamophobia at play here than there is anti Semitism in those instances, in my opinion. But I also think it's cynically used at times as a way of saying, I don't want somebody who's anti Zionist. I also don't want somebody who's Medicare for all right. I mean, I think that it's it's used in many ways in that way. I personally feel like Israel is making Jews a lot less safer than safer for sure, you know, just on a purely empirical level. Don't tell me that we need Israel because it's the only place for Jews to be safe. And then I'd say, and they're always in bomb shelters. Well, I get news for you in this country.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And net Yahoo clearly is really mostly interested in protecting Net and Yahoo from going to jail, which, in that way, he's very trumpy.
Speaker 4: He's very trumpy, except for Trump is at a thirty two percent approval rating in Net Yahoo's probably a seventy eight percent of prove or seventy two percent approval rating of somewhere there. I mean, Net Yah, who's been wasn't for almost a third of the country's history, prime minister or whatever. Maybe it's maybe it's a quarter. I mean so, so the I wish there was greater daylight between Net and Yahoo and the Israeli people. I wish there was a growing political movement in Israel, growing that provided an alternate version of of what Israel could be. I don't see it. I interview Israeli journalists, they don't see it. There's a problem with Israel. And you know, I remember having this conversation with a semi conservative buddy of mine fifteen years ago, and I was like, Dude, people like you who are going to endanger Israel the most because you're letting them drive drunk, and if you don't take away the keys right now, it's going to end with them careening off the side of a of a of a highway and in a fiery explosion. And I worry about that. You can only push people so much. You can only you know, commit a genocide so publicly without the world responding. And I think that's where we're at.
Speaker 1: Sam Cedar.
Speaker 2: I hope you'll come.
Speaker 4: Back, of course I will, you know, I will.
Speaker 1: Tammy Duckworth is the junior Senator from the state of Illinois. Welcome, Welcome, Senator Jeremy Duckworth. First, let's talk about what it must be like to be a Democrat who is a veteran, who is watching this president who said he was going to end foreign wars just completely blunder his way through American foreign policy. Will you talk us through sort of what it's like for you at this moment in the Senate.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, there's a lot of frustration, but I'm really focused on holding Donald Trump and his completely incompetent Secretary of Defense accountable for their actions and their decisions. They continue to again, as you mentioned, you know, get us involved in conflict or receives when Trump actually ran for office based on no more forever wars, and yet you know he's engaged in conflict in many places around the world, and now what's beginning to look like another forever war in Iran. You know, Trump knows his illegal war is deeply unpopular, and he knows it, and so you know, he's trying to basically hood with the American people about it.
Speaker 1: So Secretary of what he calls himself, the Secretary of War obviously not his real name, but he came to you guys to ask for more money. And during that process, did you get some insight into sort of the level of money that is being squandered at this moment? And because it strikes me that a lot of money is being spent in ways it's probably not supposed to be.
Speaker 7: Oh no, because they have been lying to Congress and to the Marria people. By lying to Congress, the only figures we've received from the Pentagon so far. Was many weeks ago they said the war had cost thirty five billion dollars. By that point, that was a good six weeks ago, I believe. And then they said it had cost thirty nine billion dollars. But by the way, that doesn't include the cost of infrastructure that has been damaged, and that was from weeks ago. So we have no idea how much money they're blowing on this war. On top of that, Trump has made statements in the public saying that he's going to ask for anywhere from two hundred to three hundred billion dollars to rebuild Iran. To rebuild Iran, I'd like him to rebuild America. I'd like to take you know, I mean the state of Illinois with like one fiftieth of two hundred billion dollars, we could use it to rebuild the infrastructure in Illinois. Yeah, come spend some money. You know here in the United States, why are you worried about Iran? Well, you know there they are are running through money so quickly, while Americans are suffering and unable to pay to fill up their gas tanks as a result of this war.
Speaker 1: So there's this munitions question that I've read a lot about that we might be running out of munitions, can you I mean, I assume that you don't necessarily that they're not being honest with Congress any which way. But I'm just curious if you have any insight, even just from your own experience, about the munitions question.
Speaker 7: So they're using very advanced munitions. Sometimes they're using very advanced munitions that cost millions of dollars to attack things like drones that cost tens of thousands of dollars right attack THEMS and that type of thing. So this is this speaks to the incompetence of the Secretary of Defense, who you know is not leading this war in any way that shows any understanding of tactics or techniques. And remember, this guy was an infantry officer who made it to the rank of major without ever having a come any command, ever earning a ranger tab jump wings on aerossault badge. So who was taken off the streets of DC on January sixth because his leadership doubted his ability to do his job.
Speaker 2: So that's who is.
Speaker 7: Secretary of Defense right now.
Speaker 6: And so I'm not surprised that they're blowing through munitions the way they are and again this has to do with decisions that's being made by the leadership and the Pentagon on how to expand these munitions.
Speaker 1: I have another question, which is supposedly the Ukrainians offered the United States help with the drug you know, because they have this incredible drone program which has basically almost won them the war with Russia, kept them way punching weight above their weight. That supposedly the Ukrainians had offered this technology to America and we had declined.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's true?
Speaker 1: Have you heard any insight into that and do you have any sense of that?
Speaker 7: So, the Ukrainians do have a very advanced a drone program that is constantly being refined hour by hour, like they'll learn something in the morning that they will put into play that evening. In fact, I've gone out to look at some of their processes that they're working on with allies located in Poland. For example. They call them Franken programs like Frankenstein programs because they're just cobbling together what they need to to make for air defense and the like. So I don't know, I don't have confirmation that heck Seth turned down to Ukrainians I would not be surprised that they did. But I know that Ukrainians have a very advanced drone program and that they've also offered it to other allies. They've offered Tornado allies to help them as well. And so I think this is where we concern me work with the Ukrainians to really take advantage of what they've learned to make our forces safer and also more deadly if we need them to be.
Speaker 1: So you have served. I can only imagine because I read these articles about Pete Hegsath going and making they're not promoting women, they're not promoting people of color. The way the army works, from what I understand, you know much better than I do. The way the US Armed Forces works is that there's a lot of protocol for these promotions that usually when you've gotten to that point, it's because you've done the things you're supposed to do. So can you talk to us about how this kind of anti woke agenda is really just seems like discrimination.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's racist, it's racist, a misogynist. Yeah, you know, for all of his bless about bringing meritocracy back to our military, the most unqualified secretive defense our nation's history is doing the opposite. And you're right when you are finally made put onto the promotion roles. You've done everything that you're supposed to do. You've held every command, you've done all of your stuff. You've done your education, military education, and your leadership not just one level up, but your leadership two and three levels up. Stay this person sin should be promoted. They put you on a voter role on the promotion rolls, and it goes forward for the Secretary of Defense to personally reach down and cancel the promotion of every woman who is getting a promotion in the general officer's rank and half of the black men. He actually did that personally shows a level of racism and misogynistic tendencies of this Secretary of Defense. All I can think of is this man must have been beaten out by a woman or a person of color at some point when he failed as an army officer, and now he's just trying to get some of his own back. But here's the problem. It's going to drive highly qualify folks out of the military. Who's going to see this happening. You're going to see colonels like, why am I going to try to make it to general officer. When you know hard work and merit doesn't matter. It's only only the color of my skin and whether I pee standing up matters, right, And so this is this is where we are, and we certainly can't afford to get back to a military that's hollowed out, which is what Pete Hexseth is doing.
Speaker 1: I think that in the last Trump administration there was a lot of anxiety that they were going to do this in the military, and they maybe did a little bit of it, but not the same way. This time, it's much more pronounced, right, It.
Speaker 7: Is much more pronounced. And the reason that they were not able to do this in the first term was that there were Trump administration appointees who stood up to them.
Speaker 4: Right this term.
Speaker 7: They put completely incompetent, unqualified individuals who are not willing to stand with them. Hexset is one of those individuals.
Speaker 1: So you have a little news for us, But I would love you to talk about what it is that you are putting on the floor right now.
Speaker 7: So I'm going to be introducing a bill that will honor the sacrifices of our troops in war. Basically what Donald Trump and Hexseth are doing is that they on their own decided that at some point in April, because we were not actively bombing Iran at that point and they were negotiating with Iran, that the war had ended. And so anybody who was wounded or killed between April and in July of this year were not wounded or killed during combat actions. And this is their way of playing a shell game to hide the true number of kias and wounded from the American people. And so four individuals who lost their lives where the reclassified is not having lost their lives in combat, and over two hundred service members who were wounded were reclassified as not having been wounded in combat. This is a way to hide the true number in terms of human cost of war from the American people. It also has a consequence that those particular troops who were reclassified will lose benefits as you get higher benefits, and if you are killed, your children and your spouse would get higher benefits if you're killed in a combat action as opposed to not. And so now he's literally stealing out of the pockets and the mouths of military families.
Speaker 1: It's such it believably dark moment in American history. I want to ask you, do you think that Like One of the things that I'm struck by is I have a kid who's an ROTC. So I see how incredible the military is at being this egalitarian organization. The way it works is really well, are they going to be able to break it? Is my question for you.
Speaker 7: They're trying to break it. We're going to not let them. It's why I'm introducing this built We're going to resist them every step of the way, and we're not going to let them do it. I love the military, and I love the Army too much. I never thought I would join the military, come from a military family, but I was going to go into the diplomatic core. But when I showed up at basic training, it didn't matter that I was a little Asian girl who was on food stamps.
Speaker 1: Right right.
Speaker 7: It only mattered that I could shoot straight, and if my buddy couldn't carry his rucksack, that I was going to help carry his rucksack. It only mattered that I wanted to be part of the team. And that's when I fell head over heels in love with the Army because it was a pure meritocracy and it didn't matter who I was, where I came from, what I look like. It only mattered that I was helping, willing to carry the load and be part of the team. And Donald Trump, the five time draft dodging coward of a president that we have, can do all that he can to try to destroy the military. But we're not going to let them. It's why I'm still here fighting them. That's why I'm introducing legislation. Our nation and our men and women in uniform and their families who also sacrifice and serve, they deserve better.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm here in Congress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Senator Duckworth, thank you. No moment, Jesse Cannon, my junk fast.
Speaker 3: You know, when I think of who I want making decisions and who's in touch with what really needs to be addressed to this country, I think of ninety two year old guys in Iowa who've been married for seventy two years and then are making laws about whether or not flifters should be policed by ice.
Speaker 1: This is yet another Republican thing where it's like they're looking for problems that don't E's as to counter the purported national scourge of organized retail crime. By the way, it's worth knowing that a lot of this retail crime actually is coming from like a little bit higher level than shoplifters. It's like people who have an organized crime ring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was proven that the consulting that did the report on this was some of the most insanely off reporting there was, and the data was totally fought right.
Speaker 1: But Chuck Rassley, who is very old though he is very into vacuuming, he has a bill that eliminates coordinated retail theft and shoplifting, which he says is happening at unprecedented levels. It's not really but okay, and he wants to use ICE to do it. Now, a few thoughts on this. ICE is really not trained. Part of their charm and part of their problems is that they're not trained, which is why they've killed so many people and why they're constantly getting into trouble in any which way. So why would you give them more responsibility, and why would you have them police citizens, and why would you have them in stores? I mean, there are so many different reasons why you do not want ICE wandering around and trying to arrest people. You don't want them arresting non citizens, but you really don't want them arresting citizens.
Speaker 2: That's where we are.
Speaker 1: I do not think that this is a good idea. I think this is a bad idea. I think this is dumb, and I think that it's a problem. I just think like this has got disaster written all over it, Like this is the president's secret police. And I don't think that they should.
Speaker 2: Have more power, more.
Speaker 1: Jurisdiction, more any of this. It's just a fucking disaster way to happen. That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.