Speaker 1: Patriots Unfiltered the world's original podcast. Patriots Unfiltered brings you inside Jillette Stadium for rousing conversations on everything New England, Patriots, and NFL. Join host Fred Kersh alongside Patriots dot COM's Paul Parillo, Mike Desso, Evan Lazar, Tamara Brown, and Alex Francisco as they bring you in depth coverage of the team.
Speaker 2: He's a red shirt rookie at that point, so it's really that's his rookie season essentially too. So now we're really not talking about them, really knowing.
Speaker 1: Search for Patriots Unfiltered anywhere you get your podcasts. This is the Patriots Catch twenty two podcasts with Evan Lazar and Alex Barth.
Speaker 3: And Lazarre. Hello, everybody nailed it. He joined as always by our Barak.
Speaker 1: Here is Evan Lazar and Alex bars but they are still a.
Speaker 3: Better coordinator than him.
Speaker 4: To be a coordinator, Mayo was never a coordinator. Hiring him to be a co I coach and I'm hiring him to run the football team.
Speaker 3: He's games.
Speaker 4: The buck stops with him. He is the boss.
Speaker 2: So Kyle Shan's head coach is what you're saying you got me so fired up that I cursed.
Speaker 4: That was awesome. That was and I got more than maybe any show we've done. I got a ton of positive feedback on like just people reaching out on social media or whatever.
Speaker 3: Just gas yourself up.
Speaker 4: No, no, I'm saying, like to both of us that like, hey, this was you guys had the conversation. That's what I wanted to do, Like I wasn't we said that going to the show. We wanted to lay out the argument for both sides. It wasn't one of us trying to necessarily convince the other one. It was just here's the case for one, here's the case for both. We we or the other. We both thought they'd each be a good hire. And I think it resonated with a lot of people. So I appreciate everybody that reached out. And that was it's gonna be we we have tough act to fall. It's going to be tough to follow that show. That was one of the best shows we've done.
Speaker 2: There you go, so you you got your way, you won, you want you you won the argument. Mister Kraft sided with you.
Speaker 4: They were they were waiting to hear that until they made high that clearly I presented that I was.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Of course, they made the decision based off of the show last week, and they decided.
Speaker 4: Robert to go with you looking at his phone going back and forth.
Speaker 2: You know what, he makes a lot of good points, That's what they were saying. Uh and uh, you know you you won, so you know, credit to you.
Speaker 3: I guess I don't. I mean, you haven't won anything yet. You know, you gotta win.
Speaker 4: No pressures on me. Now, you just get to sit back. If it doesn't work out, and I told you it does work, you can say, well.
Speaker 2: It would have worked with they run the ball thirty five times a game, and and you know eight nine, Well.
Speaker 4: You're going to talk about run rate. Let's let's not look up with the Lions run rates because.
Speaker 2: We'll get to all this stuff, all right, kind of I know, I know you you have all the ammo because the people have been coming at at your boy a little bit over now now that the dust has settled it, it feels like there are some anti Rabel people that are starting to come out, some Titans fans, you know, people like that. We'll get to all that. And here in a second, Evan Lazar Alex Bars. If you don't know by now, I'm sure you do. Patriots Catch twenty two next couple hours with you here today. It's our first show since the Patriots announced the hiring of Mike Rabel as their head coach, So we haven't been on the air since the hire.
Speaker 3: We haven't been on the air since the press conference.
Speaker 2: So we got a lot of things to talk about here today in terms of all that and spin it forward. But I think the biggest thing that I wanted to start with today because when we had that argument last week, you know, I obviously knew were able to player. I knew of able to coach from the outside looking in, but I never spent any real time with him or observing hammer at press conferences of his or anything like that, so I.
Speaker 3: Didn't know him as deeply as maybe I do now.
Speaker 2: And I think the one thing that I knew when they hired him was they were going to get and I hope, I'm you know, speaking out of turn, they're going to get an a hole right that was going to be able to come in here and say you you and you out, you you and you in.
Speaker 3: You know, this is what we're doing.
Speaker 4: This is our.
Speaker 2: Direction, this is our plan, and he definitely is going to do that. I feel as though that that stuff still applies. He's going to get the right people. He's going to get the people that do things the right way. He's going to get football people to run football. He is going to coach a more discipline team, a more fundamentally sound team, more aware and you know, situationally aware certainly football team.
Speaker 3: Which was all the things that were the selling points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the one thing that stood out to me just watching his introductory press conference, having him in here on PU for fifteen minut it's the other day, and then his interview I would say yesterday with Ei was really good too. And having all of these interviews now as Patriots head coach, the number one thing that I think I undersold initially with this was how analytically minded in detailty is when it comes to football, Like, this is a guy that can talk your ear off about football philosophy, strategy, scheme, analytics, sports science, player health, mental health, you know, and player just in terms of philosophy of how to deal with the modern player in all these different walks of being a head coach, personnel, scouting, you know what is it that you look for and wide receivers? He's got an answer, you know, how are you going to apply analytics to the football program? He's thought of these things, and that respect, he reminds me a little bit of Bill and that he has all of these types of things that go into building a football team and go into building a program. All he's thought these things through, and he has answers for all of it, and and sound and smart, you know, intellectual answers.
Speaker 3: About a lot of it.
Speaker 2: This is not you know, all I played linebacker and I'm a meathead and we're gonna bit kneecaps. Okay, this is this is the guy that's really thought things through in a lot of ways about about coaching. So I understold that aspect of him, about how just detailed and really just football savvy he is because I knew he's a great motivator. I know who's a good defensive mind. You knew he was a great culture guy. But I do think that he has a lot more of that element to him than I expected. And it really does feel like and look, we're in the honeymoon phrase right now with it. Let's see what happens come September if they start losing games and things like that. But right now, it really does feel like they've found the perfect middle between Bill Belichick and Gerrod Mayo, where you now have the intellect of somebody who thinks the game more on the lines of Bill and can go to that depth that Bill could go to with the game, but also has a little bit more of a softer touch of a modern player philosophy. And I think that that's great. I'm excited about all that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And look, I mean it's a good caveat that. It's it's one thing to say all the right things, it's another thing to execute them. We thought you're rad and some of the coaching staff at this time last year. We're saying a lot of the right things. But the difference is when a lot of the stuff Mike Brevil talks about he's done, he's done before, whether he did in Tennessee. You talked about the analytics stuff, which we'll get into, and I think he might be surprised on my take on that. Well, you know, he's done that in Cleveland. He spent last year in Cleveland with with what might be the most analytically driven organization in the league. But no, the stuff you're talking about that surprised you. This is what I was. This is what I meant when I said said program builder, right, like the core concepts aren't there is that Well, we're gonna work hard and we're gonna respect each other and we're gonna be accountable like all those kind of buzzwords. But it's also you know, we're gonna we're gonna do this in this and in player evaluation when it comes to analytics, and this is what we want guys that can do this, right, It's not just we want guys that work hard. He gave that answer I forget, which he did so many interviews the other day, which credit to him. I think it was one with Dan Roach where he talked about the wide receivers and he goes, right, we want guys with the big catch raiders. We want guys that can create after the catch. We want guys that are right. That's actual. So it's not just we want guys that work hard and that stuff the coach buzzwords. There's actual football substance behind it. And when you combine those two, that's where you get your program. And he didn't get into the nuts. And bolts of it. I didn't expect him to get into the nuts and bolts of it in the first few days. But between the interview he did, the initial press conference and then interviews he did subsequently had a good interview with Zolak and Bertrand in ninety eighty five some of the other stuff, like you can kind of see the skeleton for what the program is. We're really getting idea of what this is going to look like. Fullback might be coming back. Credit to you for getting that one out of him. Again, he kind of talked about what he wants with receivers. I thought it was notable when he was asked basically, you have the fourth pick, you have all this cap space and just your thoughts, he went right to the offensive line and immediately and there was another answer he gave in another interview where he was kind of asked about building the roster, and he went right to the offensive line. So we're kind of seeing these core concepts early on. But here you have a guy that isn't just going to talk about the core concepts. We've seen him execute this in.
Speaker 2: The past, so he has plans, yes, and I hate to kick the last guy when he's down, and I don't want to do that. But to compare and contrast, Yeah, Girod had concepts of plans, right, like he had ideas, but I don't think he necessarily knew how to take those ideas and turn them into tangible practices, right, and actually execute those ideas. And then we're overarching, right, And then they got it and they got into everything, and they get into the season, and they get into training camp, and then the train is going one hundred miles an hour and things start going really really fast.
Speaker 3: What I look at with Mike Rabel is that he already.
Speaker 2: Has actual concrete evidence and plans of this is what we're gonna do. This is how I put it into practice in Tennessee, and this is how it's gonna work.
Speaker 3: And that's refreshing.
Speaker 2: It's refreshing to have somebody that is asked and I know, you know that the analytics answer he gave just made me just I mean, I could listen to that all day.
Speaker 4: I think we did that. He was kind of crazy about it. It's like, you go back to that argument we had last week. Yeah, and it was a philosophical argument. It wasn't you know, debating is this right or wrong? You go back to that argument, and then you listen to what he said over the last forty eight hours, and there are things we can both point to and hang our hat on that's like, Yeah, that's that's what I'm talking about. That's the guy I want coaching my football team, which I think is kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: That to me is a good way. That's what swayed me. I was already convinced, Okay, it's a proven coach with a proven you know, concept, and I understand why the hire is happening, and I didn't need to be that sold on it, you know what I mean. But what really put it over the top for me the last couple of days is all these elements of this is a guy that is more modern thinking and more analytically driven than I knew that I anticipated. Now is some of that because of his year in Cleveland and he's coming off that And you mentioned so Paldi to Podesta's in Cleveland. Who's the Jonah Hill character in Moneyball? Right for people that don't know, So, he was a big analytics guy in baseball. The Cleveland Browns hired him to run their analytics department and bring analytics to football, and they have a huge analytics department, like it's one of the biggest in the league.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The Rams are very analytically driven and have two guys in their entire analytics department, so it's not necessarily about volume. The Patriots currently have one person employed to run analytics in the entire football department. No, No, Rastine is is in football, but this is you know, their director of research is the one guy who is who's running analytics for the Patriots. The Patriots, in a lot of ways, you know, are our dinosaurs when it comes to applying analytics to person to scouting, to the personnel side of things.
Speaker 3: And we can get to that.
Speaker 2: But all these different things that he has said that he that he's talked about.
Speaker 3: Has really been encouraging in terms.
Speaker 2: Of having a modern view, having an innovative view of the game, but also still understanding that football is football, and it's one of the trenches, and they're a physical element, there's an aggressive element, there's a motivational element, and all those things are true. What I worry about is when you hire a coach that can't apply both, right, that's only worried about. We're gonna be fast, and we're gonna be aggressive, and we're gonna be physical, and we're gonna be.
Speaker 3: Tough, like cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's important, but you know, there's all these other things now that go into football that we know. So with all that being said, that's a lot of sunshines and rainbows up the new head coaches, you know what. Yeah, and rightfully, So, he's done a good job for the two days that he's been on the show to go a long way to go. The concerns that I still have about this entire situation are still there until we find out more information. And I understand that I'm maybe getting concerned about something that hasn't happened yet in terms of the coordinator interviews, because we haven't heard much about where we're headed with that.
Speaker 3: But I think that starts soon. Yeah, he said that they were going.
Speaker 2: To start talking about it yesterday afternoon after all of his media obligations were finally over with, and they're, you know, him and Elliott and Ryan Cowd and those guys are going to get to work on the interview process for the coaching staff.
Speaker 3: But a couple of things with that one.
Speaker 2: It can't be understated how major of a higher offensive coordinator is it is a massive, massive hire for the direction of this franchise. And I want to kick around some names and things like that as well, but just from a big pictures perspective, it's a major, major aspect of this is who he's gonna tab as coordinator. And if you talk to people down in Tennessee, it wasn't always great in terms of putting together a staff down there. He didn't really and this is just their their word, so I'm just taking them at their word down in Tennessee. Didn't really get along with Matt Lafleur, and then promoted Arthur Smith to avoid losing him to Matt Laflour because Matt Lafleur wanted to bring Arthur Smith with him to Green Bay. So he kind of, I would, I think lucked in is the wrong word, but he he's sort of, you know, by association, kind of stumbled into a coaching staff on the offense side of the ball that worked for a while there in Tennessee. So who hecquires his offensive coordinator and then obviously you know what kind of offense they build is still to me the number one question that I have, The number two question, of course, is how this is all going to work out in the front office. There's been a lot of reporting out there, Mike re Reeve, Tom Curran, people that are in the know that you trust that Mike Rable is going to be the last line, right, He's going to have the final say on personnel. But Mike Rabel is not going to be scouting four hundred college prospects and grinding the tape all off season of you know, who's the guy he told me to watch earlier today that's in a like San Jose State.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you need to watch it. You do need to watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So he's at San Jose State trip. Yeah, so, yeah, he's the receiver. I'm sorry he's not watching you know, day three guy, right, Like, he's not grinding film on He's not grinding the film on all these guys. Right, that's gonna be cowten and that's gonna be Elliott Wolf. So can you get the coordinator higher?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Can you pick players like that? That's what this is gonna come down to. I think we all feel really good about Rabel as the head coach of the team, and you feel like you're in good hands in terms of the head coach of the football team. But that's only one piece of it. You know, that's a big piece, but it's only one piece. So now, how do we move forward with those two things are still concerns that I have because just from the outside looking in, just from my opinion, what I look at with Rabel and Ryan Cowden and Elliot Wolf and that whole dynamic, I kind of look at a peaceful transmision of power like that. To me, looks like Ryan Cowden and Mike Rabel are going to be running the show here, not before long. But Elliott Wolf has the institutional knowledge of what the roster looks like right now, what the coaching staff looks like right now, how the buildings run, So they're keeping him on to kind of help transition into the Rabel era. But when it comes to April and it comes to the draft, or it comes to March and free agency, how are they gonna run the board and how are they gonna go about picking the players is a massive piece of this. So I don't know which way you want to go from there, but I think that you know, we know who the people in charge are on the personnel side, the coordinators is more about kicking the names.
Speaker 4: So I guess that's easier to start, and maybe we buy some time. Maybe we get some coordinator interview. See me looking at my phone or Evan looking at his phone. I'm just trying to we know the computers because there's no death, so there's an interview. We want to be able to react to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stop looking at your phone, all right, I'm trying to find out we have news pay attention on.
Speaker 4: The front office. Thing Like. It almost kind of feels like, now, now Bill would grind the film, but maybe not to the level that some of the other guys did, just because he was also doing the head coaching stuff. It's kind of feels like the set up under Bill right where Ryan Collton, Elliott Wolf. They're gonna do the legwork, They're gonna like get all the reports together, and then they're gonna go to Mike Rabel and basically be like, here are your options. Yeah, and then Mike looks at the options and he picks right, which I don't think is a bad set up with Wolf. I think you're right. So much of this process has already completed. The scouting process does not begin in January, begins really in August, and in some cases began a year ago or two years ago with some of these guys who are under who have played multiple years, who are seniors. So you can't just blow the whole staff out. You can't start from scratch in January. You would be so far behind you would it would be impossible to catch up from how far behind you are. So to me, Elliot Wolf's here because him and his staff did all the work during the football season. He's going to be able to kind of pass that forward, like you said, some of the institutional knowledge, and then we'll see when the draft's over, if he sticks around or if it's all right, you know, we'll we'll take it from here. Rydan Callvin will take it from here, and you move on from that. But I don't hate the setup. I don't for for what this year is. I don't know that I would keep it permanently. I think it's basically Elliot Wolf kind of auditioning for his job at this point. But for what this year is, I think that's probably the right way to structure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned the Vrabel's comments about receivers and like what he looks for a wide receivers which, by the way, not not to get into speculation about trades.
Speaker 3: He described a J.
Speaker 4: Brown, He did describe it. Yeah, he also kind of described Tech McMillan.
Speaker 2: Tech McMillan doesn't is not physical like that Teed McMillan is. He described described a J Brown contested catches.
Speaker 4: Funny, Sorry, I saw that quote going around and everybody's just saying he described whatever whoever their favorite receiver is that's available.
Speaker 3: Oh no, he described a J.
Speaker 2: Brown to a t like, contested catches, yards after catchability, tough to tackle, physical in the run game like it's a J. Brown, right, And so held hopefully with this setup, it's gonna be Rabel and whoever he hires as the offensive coordinator saying for us to make this scheme work, this is the archetype, like, this is the type of.
Speaker 3: Player that we need.
Speaker 2: And then Elliott Wolf and Ryan Cowden can then go and narrow down the list. So, okay, these are the five guys that fit that type of mold, and then Rabel will then go watch some tape himself and kind of come up with it of who exactly, you know, he feels is the best out of that group. So that that's how it runs in a lot of places. You know, the coaches come to the personnel people and they say, you know, these are the groceries that I need to make this meal, and then they're supposed to go and find the right ingredients and then bring them back to the coach.
Speaker 3: So it's a fine setup. I don't mind it.
Speaker 2: I think it's a little bit awkward obviously with the holdovers from the last regime and Elliott Wolf and Matt Growe and Cameron Williams, the director College Scouting, pat Stewart. You know, it was a high ranking official in the Patriots front office. Like those people are all still here currently. They were all at the press conference on Monday, so they're all still currently here. And it is a little bit of an awkward dynamic there. But it Rabel's the guy that has the hammer, as Mike Reaves put it on your station, I think, then, you know, everybody's got to kind of fall in line underneath Rabel, and he's the one that hopefully will be able to keep everybody you know, on schedule, on tracks and in check. So that's the front office side of it. I do eventually I agree with you. I still feel like it will be Ryan Cowden and Mike Rabel for the long term, and maybe we see some of these other guys phased out over the course of the next couple of years. But the other big element to this as well, just going back the little history on Ryan Cowden and Mike Rabel, this was supposed to happen in Tennessee, right, These two guys were supposed to take power in Tennessee after they fired John Robinson and Tennessee Cowden was named the interim general manager for the time being, and the owner, who's the owner. She said that, you know, Cowden was going to be the general manager, Rabel was going to be the head coach. And then in order to basically avoid giving too much power to Mike Rabel, because that's his guy, You're basically handing the building over to Mike Ramble at that point. In order to give, you know, to avoid giving up too much power to Mike Rabel, she changed her mind and hired Ran Carthin And that was sort of what caused the the House of cards, right like that, that's sort of what caused it all to fall down there in Tennessee. So from the outside looking in, this looks like mister Kraft is saying.
Speaker 3: We'll do it. Well, we'll give you the keys, and with Ryan Cadden, we're cool with that.
Speaker 2: So that's the front office side of it. Before we get into all the coordinators. Because I made a list, you made a list. We all have names, and I think you know it's it's super important to talk about. We do have to pay the bills here first and say, hey, Patriots fans, if you want to see Toyota's best offers, including those not seen on TV, go to buy a Toyota dot com. It's Toyota's official website for deals from the official vehicle of the New England Patriots, Toyota, Let's go places and easy to drink, easy to enjoy, bud Light, the official beer sponsor of the New England Patriots. Okay, before we open it up to the phones into the email, which we have plenty of, I do want to talk about offensive coordinator and where they go. Now, big big news yesterday Patriots and Jason Tommy Reese goes back to Cleveland as their offensive coordinator. So Tommy Reese is off the board. Where do you would you like to see them go with offensive coordinator? And I think it's kind of Josh McDaniels verus the field right now for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: So how do you specifically feel about Josh.
Speaker 4: So I'm still kind of where we were last week, which is I'm not opposed to it. I don't think he'd be a bad hire. I'm curious how much more there is to the twenty twenty Cam Newton offense, because yeah, I think they're basically gonna end up running a version. They should run a version of that with Drake may If Josh McDaniels is here, there's obviously the big plus. He's not a flight risk. He's not going anywhere. You have some security, you have some you know you're gonna build continuity with him and Drake may Be. It'd be a fine hire. I'm curious about some of those up and coming guys I said last week, can he find his own? Ben Johnson? I would still kind of poke around, talk to talk to people in that world and see if you find somebody you really believe in. I keep getting them mixed up. Matt Mike, which one's in La Mike Lafleur is an interesting one.
Speaker 2: You get that mixed up to two names like Hars either Okay.
Speaker 3: The other one Mike l is the coordinator.
Speaker 4: The other one Mike Reese threw this name out, Dave rang Goon. I think it's the quarterbacks coach in LA. Yeah, something like that past game who worked for Arthur Smith. So there's a bit of a through line there. It was interesting though, when I looked up, So I did this whole thing before Mike Greable got fired, and I posted on Sunday. You can read on ninety eight five the sports on dot Com. It wasn't so much a list of potential offensive coordinators. It's definitely part of it, but it was more. And I was texting you during this, I think you're got annoyed with.
Speaker 3: Me, Yeah, because you were throwing out random names.
Speaker 2: Well so it was Staley Barrett put everybody on the list, fifty guys.
Speaker 4: But this is my point. I was getting so sick of the he's a Patriot guy, he's a Belichick guy. He's not going to go outside the building. It was kind of a gut response to that take. And then will you need a pipeline offensive coordinator? Take to just be like, hey, here's all the offensive coaches he's been connected to. Thirty one names, on there. But when I went through that list, like there's definitely some offensive there's definitely some offense coordinators on there, whether it's Josh McDaniels, whether it's Tim Kelly. I had Tommy Reese on there that's now not happening. But the guys I found that were really interesting were like the guys who are a year or two away from being an offensive coordinator, the guys that need maybe one more job to round out the resume and be an offensive coordinator. Whether that's a guy liked Staley in Cleveland, who I think was a top offensive candiate coordinator candidate at one point and I don't know whatever happened to that. But a guy like Duce Staley, a guy like Luke Steckel, who's his backrouandsitioning. He's coached a bunch of different positions, been a bunch of different places. He's the Raiders tight ends coach last year, right, heller brock Bauers.
Speaker 3: He was in Tennessee at some point, so kept him.
Speaker 4: In Tennessee, which he's always telling to me. Coach comes in, looks at the staff, ninety percent of those guys getting blown out. He kept Luke Steckel, So that tells me something. J. T. Barrett was another one. He was on the on the staff of Lions when Barrett was at Ohio State. Right, you want a little day Ben Johnson flavor. J T. Barrett is the assistant quarterbacks coach in Detroit. You bring him in as the quarterbacks coach and maybe kind of get him going. So if you hire a guy like a Lafleur or like one of these up and coming names, when he moves on. Now you have J. T. Barrett, Now you have Luke Steckell. Now you have one of these guys that's ready to become your offensive coordinator. So I'm with you. I think it's McDaniels against the field. If it is McDaniels instead of the pipeline. The next big question is wide receivers coach. Wes Welker is obviously the name that comes to mind. He was teammates with Hines Ward in Pittsburgh before Rabel, before he came here. Hines Ward's now wide receivers coach at Arizona State. They have some they're all underclassmen, so nobody knows them because they're not in the draft here. But they have some up and coming wide receivers. That's a guy'd be interested in bringing in. I don't know how connected he is to Sean Jefferson. That's another name though. If it's if it's McDaniels, I'm looking at wide receivers coach. If it's not, you're looking at that pipeline. But there's some really good pipeline names out there.
Speaker 2: So my first of all, I'm a huge fan of Josh McDaniels. Yeah, And I don't mean to like put my nose up to people right now, but I can tell a lot of people that are negative on Josh McDaniels don't necessarily think the game through like the lens of a coach, because I can tell you talking to coaches around the league, Josh McDaniels is a mother to go up again.
Speaker 4: So I'll say this about Josh McDaniels, and you tell me if I'm off base. There are things he does as an offensive coordinator that bug me certainly. Yeah, I'll take those things though, Like, I'll deal with that, Like his play sequencing gets annoying sometimes obviously the third long shotgun runs, like sometimes he feels a little situationally conservative. I'll deal with that for all the positives he brings versus like most of like some of these stuff other offense coordinators do where they just get too cute with it or this and that. McDaniels isn't perfect, but when you actually step back and look at the big picture, the stuff that it annoys you about him is really not that bad because he compensates for it so significantly in other ways.
Speaker 2: He's an excellent, excellent coordinator. He's not a good head coach. We know that, but we're not hiring, right, those are two different things. I hire him to be the head Guys, we.
Speaker 4: Discussed last week, we're hiring somebody to be the head coach. He became the head coach. Now you're hiring somebody to be the head coordinator. That person is not going to be the head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he's a really good coordinator.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest things with McDaniel's his experience is really, I guess just comforting in a way a lot like Rabel's experience is comforting because you're handing this coordinator a twenty two year old franchise potential quarterback, right, and Drake May has all of the bells and whistles to be a great quarterback in this league. But he's not a finished product. He still has a ways to go. He still has to you know, figure out that line to cut down on turnovers and but still be aggressive. Was it aggressive but not reckless?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, he said, you said with the math. That made me feel things when I heard a great How many times have I come on the show, Evan, whether we're talking about Drake may or some other quarterback instead, aggressive but not recons so aggressive?
Speaker 3: That was a great You know, he still has ways to go in those types of things.
Speaker 2: I still think he has a ways to go in certain things mentally too, you know, in terms of reading coverage and uh setting you know, things at the line of scrimmage and all, you know, all things that young quarterbacks have to learn. Like, I'm not saying that Drake is behind or like different than other guys.
Speaker 3: It's just right.
Speaker 2: So there's still ways to go there. So as much as I would be excited about a Josh McCown or excited about bringing back a Nick Keyley, who I think has a great mix of of old and new, right, you know, he can surrun some of the Patriots stuff that they ran for years that was successful, but meld it with the mcveay stuff like, that's obviously extremely intriguing. Clint Kubiak is the name that people have thrown out that is from the Shanahan Gary Kubiak obviously his father. You know, like those guys like they're intriguing guys. Tommy Reese was an intriguing candidate. But all these guys you're handing, you know, Nick Keyley for example, just to use him, Nick Kelly has never coached quarterbacks before. So you're handing a second year quarterback in a big pivotal year of his development to an offensive guy. It's not Matt Patricia, but you're handing him to a guy that's never coached the position.
Speaker 4: Now, quarterbacks coach becomes incredibly important. And right that's where I liked Reese, though I wouldn't put Reese quite in that group because he is a quarterback.
Speaker 3: Guy, but he didn't coach.
Speaker 2: He coached quarterbacks in college. He coached tight ends last year for the Brown.
Speaker 4: He is a quarterback back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he is a quarterback, you know, yeah, not a good one, but he was a quarter Oh.
Speaker 4: Look, Jalen Milroe had his best season under Reese And I know some people breaking down on Jalen Millship.
Speaker 3: As sales, but.
Speaker 2: I just he's thirty two years old, Okay, Like he's a young guy. Josh McDaniels, you don't worry about any of that. Josh McDaniels is called plays in this league for two decades. He's worked with all sorts of quarterbacks that I understand that. You know, he has had varying degrees of success outside of Brady, some of it not so good, but he's worked with a bunch of different qbs. You mentioned the camm Newton offense in twenty twenty. Do I want Drake running like Cam Newton? No, because that Cam Newton's a different type of athlete, right, he's six six, two d and fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like it's a different type of dude. So you're not going to be ramming Drake.
Speaker 2: May into the line of scrimmage on the goal line like you were with Cam Newton.
Speaker 4: Could you use Joe Milton as a package player and May stop part of the offense, But no, I'm dead serious, Like that's something Josh would do too. Maybe can you have a Joe Milton package where you put him in there? And they go in that full house formation they had with Cam and when you're on the goal lineer, it's third and one and you run that stuff like Josh would do that. That to me seems like something Josh would do that. I don't know that some of these other guys would do. They get cute and put like the right tackle back there or something. So no like that. It's it's good to bring up because there is some relevance there.
Speaker 2: So my point being with McDaniels, if you're somebody that's like, oh, his offense is archaic, you know, it's his Stone age offense, and is he gonna be able to do some of the things that these new offensive coordinators like I heard Dan Rolovsky talking about, you know, the new age RPOs, the four by ones, like all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: I would urge you to go watch.
Speaker 2: The twenty twenty Patriots, and I understand the twenty twenty Patriots fell apart and their offense wasn't great in terms of.
Speaker 3: The production much as anything else.
Speaker 2: But he had Cam Newton who couldn't throw anymore, and he had demere Bird as his top outside receiver.
Speaker 3: He did not have a ton of.
Speaker 2: Talent, was Ryan Is the top tight end. Ryan Is was the top tight end. Like they didn't have a ton of talent on that team. And the number one thing that I would point to, they were eighth in the league and rushing the football that year. They were a top ten rushing offense in twenty twenty with Cam Newton. So that shows me that he has the chops and he has it in his rolodecks on his menu. To be able to run design quarterback run, to be able to run RPO, to be able to run different gun variations. That all we're really talking about is making yourself more efficient in the gun because a lot of these young quarterbacks don't want to play from under center. So in order to make more out of the gun, you have to be more scheme diverse. You can't just have him drop back pass from the gun all the time like he's Tom Brady.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna work.
Speaker 2: So you have to add in things like window dressing, like motion, like read option, like RPO, all these different bells and whistles that teams use with Josh Allen, Jaden Daniels, you know, go on, Lamar Jackson, Like that's how you make it easier for the quarterback, So he's not Brady coming to the line of scrimmage looking at the defense, checking the play, making a perfect throw. Like, we don't have to do all that stuff because we have all this other scheme related we're weaponizing the scheme with all this other stuff. And I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that McDaniels doesn't have the ability to do that, but he just hasn't had the quarterback to do it with other than Cam. Right, you're not going to move the pocket with Tom Brady, no, right, Like you're not going to run a lot of boots and a lot of movement plays when you have Tom Brady as your quarterback. And this isn't a knock on Brady because he did a million other things amazing, right, but it just wasn't a stylistically different right, So I was, you know, just with McDaniels, he hasn't necessarily had a quarterback that has the skill set of Drake May that has that kind of tools. If you wanted to like put together the quarterbacks that he worked with, it was like Cam Newton's legs with you know, like you know, a good arm talent quarterback from the pocket. Then like maybe you could do it that way, but he's never had the complete package in terms of what everything is on the menu. Now, you know, you can run him, he can throw the ball, you can move him out of the pocket, like you can do anything you really want to do. And I watch a lot of the twenty twenty McDaniel's offense over the last couple of days with Cam. I saw a little bit of the Raiders offense. There's more of that stuff in his playbook that you just didn't call because it wasn't what you were ordering off the menu. With the quarterbacks he was working with, then maybe meets the eye, so as you can tell by all, like I would hire Josh McDaniels for this position. I just I really feel comfortable with McDaniels. You mentioned some of his awards, Like he's not perfect. I don't think that he's the most you know, motion heavy coordinator. You know, he runs a little bit more of a stagnant offense at least what he did you know with the Patriots and with the Raiders recently. But the one thing that really stands out to me is he's got that ability to take the twenty two to Cam Newton offense. Yeah, twenty twenty Cam Newton offense with like the rookie year Mac Jones and like a little bit of what he did in Vegas in twenty two and put those two things together. So now you have the drop back pass game of a Mac Jones of a Derek Carr with the run game of a Cam Newton, and that's really intrigued. Like that, If that's the way that they go, that's really intriguing. And you're giving your young quarterback to an experienced guy who were not worried about he's never called plays before, he's never worked with quarterbacks before, he's never coordinated in an offense before. We're not worried about any of those things. Like last year it was always Alex Van Pelts never called plays, So we're worried about that, right, we're worried about that sort of thing. If you hired a Josh McCown type pants guy, it's exciting. He's the new guy, right, he's a guy in town. He's never coordinated an offense before. So we don't know. We don't know how much of that offense is Kevin O'Connell. Probably a lot of it.
Speaker 4: Do you think they could drag mccount away in a lateral move. I would love from as the quarterbacks coach.
Speaker 2: So the issue, you know, with a lot of this, and you know when we start to put together staffs and stuff like that, it's not impossible, but we're crossing. We're crossing languages here, right, Like Josh McDaniels will be ep guy. Right, he's gonna come in and run aera Harp Perkins. Josh McCown is a West Coast Tree type of guy, right, Kevin O'Connell, you know, same thing would would be said for a lot of those guys that you know, Clint Koobiak, you know, any one of these guys that we've thrown out. So if you want to stick to the EP system and the roots of the McDaniels system, then you got to get McDaniel's guys to coming coach quarterbacks, right, you got to get guys that understand j Bart come in there.
Speaker 3: It's possible.
Speaker 2: You know, Lions like run some stuff that is The Lions offense is kind of Schmorgas port of everything. Yeah, you know, it's a little bit of RAMS, it's a little bit of EP in terms of their protections and their rules up front, so you could maybe do something like that. I hear what you're saying. No, like a kind of younger, more up and coming. Yeah, good, be underneath Josh.
Speaker 4: So let me give you two more names that I'm curious about. I don't know how realistic either of these are, but I think they're worth discussing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Bill O'Brien is obviously at BC Zano Chefter a couple weeks ago said he likes it there, but he didn't like entirely rule out that he wouldn't take a call from the NFL called right in to talk to Rabel and EEI the other day. That one's kind of interesting to me, And that wouldn't be with Josh. That would be I mean, you're hiring his offense coordinator. And the other one is where's alex man Pelton? All this? He's not going back to Cleveland. We know that because Tommy Reese is there. Is he gonna get another offense coordinator job? Which I think he could, but if he doesn't, and I know you talked about crossing languages, but part of me is like, I just think Van Pelt's a fantastic teacher. Yeah, right, that's a great teacher, So could you have him? Could you kind of lock him in a room with McDaniels for a week, have McDaniel's drill everything to him, and now he gets to keep working with Drake may on some the technique stuff and some of the fundamental stuff. But would he take a demotion here or at that point is it Well, I'm going to be a quarterbacks coach him to go somewhere else, so it's not a demotion. Like to get what I'm saying, where does he fit in all this?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: My concern with mixing guys from different trees is that a lot of the way that these offenses are designed. It's not so much that I don't think Alex van Pel could learn the verbiage of Josh mcdaniels's playbook, but a lot of the way these offenses are designed are so that the quarterback mechanics tie together with the offense. Right, so like the left foot forward stuff and the rhythmic of the passing game in the West Coast offense that AVP runs, all of that is tied together to the routes so that they're tethered together.
Speaker 3: So his drop back is timed up with his reads and the routes.
Speaker 2: So now when you start to rewrite all of that, it starts to change in terms of like the timing of everything starts to change, you know, the cadence, timing, the drop back. So if he's gonna if McDaniels is coming here, it's gonna change all of that stuff.
Speaker 3: So you're not really.
Speaker 2: Doing AVP it's work anymore. You understand what I'm like, I'm getting at. Yeah, So with AVP, I guess like my question was, is and I wrote this when I wrote My coordinators before candidates, before Reese took the Browns job, is like, would you hire a guy like Tommy Reese as the offensive coordinator and then try to convince Alex van Pelt to stay on as like a senior offensive like in the van mcadee role, right, like, as like a senior offensive assistant work with Drake May. You're still going to speak the West Coast language. So we're not changing playbooks necessarily, We're just bringing in a Tommy Rees to update and just kind of innovate the offense a little bit, living up the scheme and the play design a little bit more. Is there a possibility if you want to go that direction of Clint Kubiak, Josh McCown, Nick Kayley, Mike Lafleur, like coming in and being the tight pants guy with Alex van Pelt on their staff. I think that would be more realistic and just based off of what Rabel has done in the past, being a West Coast offense basically all throughout Tennessee his time with the Titans, that would make a lot of sense to me. You know, you have to pitch Alex van Pelt on it.
Speaker 3: I don't know how.
Speaker 4: It's just tough. If like, if I'm in his shoes, what would I do? It's tough to say.
Speaker 2: So he can't go back to Cleveland or you know, you don't think that he can go back to Cleveland.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he could go back to.
Speaker 2: Cleveland as a position coach or something like that if he really wanted to, but that's sort of off the table. Where else would you like? Maybe back to Green Bay? You know, you know, where else are you going?
Speaker 4: You got to look at it in the track. I mean, just assuming that he wants to be a head coach, right, because that's what the majority of these guys want, and I don't I know, he's a little bit older. I don't think he's at the age where he like, it's not like seventy right, and it's like, well, I'm gonna be a coordinator. That's just it. You know what gets you closer to head coach? Is it? Because there's there's the image that the league is going to have if you take what might be a demotion here to go to quarterbacks coach, if you go somewhere else and be a quarterbacks coach, well, now you've taken you haven't directly taken atomotion, but you're gonna have the same success elsewhere without Drake May What quarterback you're gonna be working with? Do you go out in the league and do you go do media for a year or two and then try to work your way back in that way?
Speaker 3: You know it?
Speaker 4: I feel bad for him because this is a second year in a row that he's kind of ended up with. He did a well, I don't I wouldn't say got scapegoated because the entire staff just got let go.
Speaker 3: But he but he was scapegoaded in Cleveland.
Speaker 2: He was a.
Speaker 4: Scapegoating Cleveland, right, And I was gonna say, this is the second year in a row and he's been fired. He's been let go for different reasons. We think he's been let go. I guess I should say he's still technically employed. But yeah, if they go another direction offensive coordinator. This is a second year row in a row. He's done a good job and lost his job. So it's it's a really tough spot for him to be in. I would love to see them, you know, the senior advisor thing, if it is going to be a West Coast amends. Honestly, even if it's not, just to keep him in the building. Just whatever he did last year, he clearly his messaging worked for Drake May, it weren't for for both quarterbacks, right, it's not just the West Coast technique of it all, Like he reached these guys, and to just have him in the building as almost a translator, yeah, for the quarterbacks or something like that. I would love to see them keep him around in that role. You mentioned the analytics stuff with Rabel, Let's get that well, no, no, no, just just as kind of an aside. Another thing that you know, you wonder if he took from that is a lot of those teams, the teams that preach analytics, they have big coaching staffs. Yeah, that's something they believe in. Is Rabel going to be one of these guys? Even last year it was a bigger staff than Bill, it was still one of the I think there were was about middle of the league in terms of the size of the coaching staff. It wasn't big, it wasn't small, but it wasn't big. Is Rabel going to be a guy who's going to have a big coaching staff, because you know, if you're trying to keep it limited and say we don't want too many cooks in the kitchen, we want define blah blah blah, you're probably not gonna do this with Van Pell. If he's somebody coming in and saying, no, we're gonna have the number of people in here that we need like to do this, then you maybe look at Van Pelt for role like that. So it'll be really interesting. But one way or the other, even if it is McDaniels, I would love to see them try to find a way to even just in the short term, you know, year or two, keep Alex van Pelt in the building.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I guess I I mean, we can we don't have to get up bogged down by the Samanas. I don't think you need Alex Vampeller with McDaniels is here, But if they do high.
Speaker 4: I don't think you need him, but I don't think would be a bad thing to keep him around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just worry. I just don't see how it. I don't see how it pertains. Like I don't like it's like an It's like an algebra course with a calculus teacher, right like you just you're you're teaching two different things. But regardless of that, that's like not here nor there so much if they hire one of these guys, that's not we don't say they don't hire McDaniels, and they're gonna hire one of these up and comers, like a Nick Kyley, like a Josh McCown, like one of these types of people. I'm going to Alex van Pelt and I'm saying, listen, we need some We need to be a little bit more innovative on offense, we need to liven up the scheme, we need to be a little bit fresher in terms of what we're doing schematically and play design wise offensively.
Speaker 3: But we we love the work that you did with Drake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we know that Drake likes you, he trusts you, so we're gonna we want you to stay on to.
Speaker 3: Keep doing that type of stuff.
Speaker 2: Basically be the quarterbacks coach more or less. And you know, Josh mccow's got to design the offense, he's.
Speaker 3: Gonna call the plays.
Speaker 2: You, but you are gonna help a lot with the quarterback and let's just keep that part of it rolling. I would have loved that with Tommy Reese too, but now that that's off the table, I'm with you, like I think that with Nick Kaylee, I.
Speaker 3: Think is a really really strong duo to do that.
Speaker 2: You have a quarterbacks guy, and Alex van Pelt has experienced with these quarterbacks and working with these quarterbacks, and you have Nick Kaylee to come in here and design the place and run the offense and call the place. I would be on board with that as well. If they are going to go the more inexperienced route, though, I need Vampeld here, like I need somebody like that that I could sit here and say, Okay, that guy has has done it before with quarterbacks. He's been around the block, he knows what he's doing. I'm not handing Drake may A, first time everything, first time quarterback guy, first time play caller, first.
Speaker 3: Time ocie and just by himself. I'm not doing that.
Speaker 2: But if Alex van Pelt's here to like be a guide along the way, then then sure I'm with that. You mentioned analytics. I do want to go back to that here in a second, but quickly before we take all the calls and everything. I don't think that there's a ton of It's not as interesting to talk about the defense side of the ball and what's going.
Speaker 4: When he got hired Sunday, I was on the radio with Matt McCarthy and we did the whole office corner, I think, goes, who do you like for defense coordinators? Like I honestly never thought it. I was so focused on Ben Jonson defensive coordinators.
Speaker 2: I never thought of yeah cool, because honestly it matters, of course, like it doesn't.
Speaker 4: I want it to be Mike Rabel's defense. Yeah, I want him to be in charge like Patrick Graham is the kind of layup named yeah right, but yeah, I this was one of the big problems with girod Mayo was he wasn't doing enough on the day to day. He was trying to be a week to week coach, not a day to day coach, and you need a day to day coach, especially with a young team. I want Rabel there on the sidelines with the whiteboard, in the huddle, like after the defense comes off. I wanted to be his unit. And maybe he's not calling the plays, but like I want him to be the one that's handing the play sheet to the defensive coordinator right and say this is what we worked on all week. I want him to be able to jump in on third downs and say, hey, I'm making this call. Things like that. So, yeah, you're right, it's not honestly special teams. One's more interesting to me, of course, because well no, because of course it is. I thought that they really made strides on.
Speaker 3: Tom Quinn was with him in Tennessee.
Speaker 4: Right. So the question is, does he look at Tom Quinn and say, I'm making you my guy because we worked together in Tennessee, yeah, Or does tom Quin maybe go to him and say, hey, me and Springer, we did a good thing going last year. Let's just not like I'm fine being the assistant. Let's just not touch it. Yeah, right, So because I we all said this at the end of the year. Like oddly enough, Springer was the one guy we sort of looked at and said, yeah, he's probably good, like you should say so, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think you know, Tom Quinn was a big part of what they did, right, so experience.
Speaker 4: I would love to see them run it back on special teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd be less okay with that.
Speaker 2: I a defensive coordinator, you know, I'm a big fan of lou Ana Rumos. So if they if they went after big Lou, I would be all for it.
Speaker 3: But that's his defense, right, don't you think so?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Don't you think Louien and Romo is gonna want to go somewhere where like he's the head coach of the defense kind of thing.
Speaker 3: I would imagine.
Speaker 2: So, But there is a lot of overlap between what the Patriots and what the Titans and what the Bengals have done schematically from a defensive perspective, I'd actually think that that would work in terms of those two systems coming together.
Speaker 3: But he I just think he's a great coach, right, I.
Speaker 4: Know, I don't get you're wrong.
Speaker 3: I do too.
Speaker 4: I would take him one hundred percent. I would take him. But if i'm him I'm looking like I want to go somewhere where it's clearly my show on defense, because does he still want to be a head coach? Right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: I want to go somewhere where it's clearly my show on defense where there's nobody I'm not answering to anybody in that regard, and then so that way in a year or two, like I can get a head coach. If he's here, there's always gonna be the question, and everybody knows what a great coach he is, But isn't there always gonna kind of be that well is it and rumo or is it vable sort of thing? So I just I don't know. I don't see what the draw is. And there's not a lot of talent here for him to work with, and he just dealt with that. And that's why I got fired in Cincinnati because there's a talent trained on the defense. It's not because he was doing a bad job. So what's the draw for him to come here?
Speaker 3: That's fair?
Speaker 4: Right? I don't get me. I I'd love to talk to.
Speaker 3: I think his name has to be mentioned because he's a great coordinator.
Speaker 4: Fair fair. If i'm him, I'm like, uh, you know, I'm gonna I got five other interviews.
Speaker 5: I'm good.
Speaker 2: I would say Patrick Graham is in the same category I think Patsa.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think Patrick Graham is a.
Speaker 4: Guy that he at least has the familiarity with Rabel.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, but he's he's getting head coaching interviews this cycle already. Yeah, And so I would imagine that he's another one of those guys that wants ownership of the defense so that he can flex that he's running that side of the ball when it comes to interviews in the future. So you know, Shane Bowen is his guy from Tennessee. He's with the Giants right now. It sounds like he's going to stay with the Giants at least for the time being. So I find those ones interesting just a little bit though, because if you're in the other name I i'd put in this category is a more experienced guy. Jim Schwartz has like a long relationship with Rabel, going back to being on his staff in Tennessee as a senior advisor.
Speaker 3: And all that type of stuff.
Speaker 4: So I think Jimmy Stewart threw that name out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jim Schwartz and Shane Bowen just putting those two names together for a second, if you go to those two guys, if you're Vrabel and I understand that he's got a relationship probably with Dable and Kevin Stefanski, So you have to be careful.
Speaker 3: You phrase this.
Speaker 2: But what are the odds that they're sitting here next year without jobs because their two head coaches just got blown out in New York and in Cleveland?
Speaker 3: Pretty high?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty high that that job in Cleveland and that job with the Giants does not have a whole lot of staying power. Rabel's getting multiple years to try to fix this here.
Speaker 3: They just want and done to coach.
Speaker 2: It's not happening again, So he's getting multiple chances from the Crafts to build this here. So if you're Shane Bowen and you can go next year with the Giants have all the same issues you just had last year that was not a very good football team, just like the Patriots, and then potentially run the risk of getting fired in a year when Dable gets blown out if they stink again, then you could come here. You probably have two or three years of job security here at the very least, and maybe a decade if it goes well, Right, so at.
Speaker 4: That point you hope you can hire Aways a head coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So that would just be a pitch I would maybe try to make. Bowen is you know, an intense guy, fired up guy. You can see him on hard knocks. He's like one of those types of coaches, right, He's gonna make you want to run through a brick wall. Jim Schwartz is a mastermind. He's he's an experienced mastermind, awesome pressure coach, like great at press, scheming up pressure, and designing pressure. He's one of the best in the league on the defense side of the ball. Like I said, he's been with Rabel in Tennessee. I think it was for maybe two years as a senior advisor on the defensive side of the ball, and that staff I.
Speaker 3: Would just pitch them.
Speaker 2: And there's then there's some other names that are some of the up and coming guys that kind of like the tight pants equivalent on the defensive side of the ball. That if it is truly going to be Rabel's defense, then maybe he develops a coach instead, like I think Rabel, not that just as an example, but like if Rabel was was with DeMarcus Comington last year like that, that might have worked out better, right when you have like a more experience as head coach that is running the defense side of the ball, done it before, whatever, you know, that type of guy. So you know there's some names out there. I'm gonna butcher this one name, so I apologize in advance. Efraim Branda Banda who is on the head coaching track.
Speaker 3: He's one name.
Speaker 2: Brandon Lynch, Chris Harris, a couple of other names there on the defense side of the ball that have connections to Rabel that you know could potentially come over. Treil Williams into Shad Townsend are the two guys in Detroit. Yeah, one of those guys I would assume is going to take over for Aaron Glenn when he gets a job this cycle. But maybe the other guy that doesn't get it is going to be out, you know, and maybe he's gonna be looking for a job. So those would be the guys that I would throw out as like, Okay, that's the tight pants equivalent on defense. Rabel's really gonna be the guy that's running the defense, but we're going to train this guy to maybe take on more responsibility as we go here. But yeah, I'm not as interested in that side of the ball. But there's a couple of names on that side coaching wise, you know, Mike Pelgrino, I think that we would all both be interested in retaining.
Speaker 4: Him absolutely, And UNC just hired the cornerbacks coach from Washington, Washington like, he's one of the bigger names coming up on the on that side of the ball in college. So I don't know, maybe they're still a job for Pelagreno there with Bill, but defensive backs coach is taken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so uh yeah, I think that that's a possibility that he goes younger on the defensive side of the ball and tries to train that guy up. Last thing here and then we'll do the second hour, we'll do some draft, we'll do some whatever your phones and emails, you guys want to talk about.
Speaker 3: I do want to talk about.
Speaker 2: The analytics thing for a second, because we got it, you know, I gotta scratch the stitch. I I was so encouraged by what I heard from Vrabel in terms of applying analytics to personnel.
Speaker 3: I'm with you, not one hundred.
Speaker 2: I I catch some people by surprise that I am not in love with the fourth down decision making route in terms of analytics. I don't want to just follow the math when it comes to those teens.
Speaker 3: I don't. I'm not like that. People may misunderstand me. I don't. I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not with that because I do hear the bill argument of well, what are the what's the situation, who are you playing, what's the weather, what's the flow of the game?
Speaker 4: For years. I've been telling you this for years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have never disagreed with you on this.
Speaker 4: You just think that that applies to more than just fourth down.
Speaker 3: You just you misunderstand me.
Speaker 2: What I am very very encouraged by was his answer to we I yesterday about how they were going to apply analytics to player personnel, to scouting, to talent evaluation. So when we talk about that side of the street, we're talking about in game tracking data. You know, the chips and the pads that track miles per hour and eletion and the ability to transition whether you're a receiver at the top of the route or a dB mirroring a receiver at the top of the route, top speed, average speed, all those different types of things. The teams that are winning in the NFL are all using this data. They're all using this data to evaluate talent and to evaluate players in the draft and even in pro personnel and free agency. The Chiefs, the Bills, the Eagles, the Lions, like these teams are all at ms. RAMS are all at the forefront of doing all these things. The Patriots are way way behind because when they had Bill Belichick, it was all just in Bill's mind, right, and he had that ability because he's special, but not everybody does.
Speaker 4: Most people don't.
Speaker 2: So the Patriots need to update this part of their football operations. They need to come up to the twenty twenty twenty five way of doing things. And the RAMS, to me, are the perfect example because who's the I'll look it up in a second when I pass it to you. The analytics guy for ESPN. He released the list every single year of all the analytics departments across the league and who's staffed and who you know, how many people they do staff. The Rams have two people on staff that are their chief analytics guys. So it's not like it's this like ten person staff like it is in Cleveland. It's just two people. But the Rams don't even go to the combine. They don't even go to the combine because they don't waste their time with the forty anymore, or with the short shuttle or the three cone or anything like that. They do the interview side and the medical side, but they don't they don't pay any attention whatsoever to the on field stuff. So I'll give you a couple of examples that where it worked out. Pukaniku the big everybody points souk is the big one, but I would also say Kyron Williams they're running back, is another one who did bomb the combine, but is a great football athlete, is a great football player and a guy that you loved cam Kinchines right still do Yeah, good.
Speaker 4: Football player want him so big?
Speaker 2: So those are the three like kind of skill position guys. And this is you know, mostly what we're talking about, right is the skill positions. Uh but pokin is the big one. And there's actually a clip of Sean McVay and Less Sneed talking about Pokinakua and uh Les Sneed says, uh, if I sort the spreadsheet by my top speeds, then he's one of the fastest receivers in the draft. And Pukka ran like a four or five something and wasn't a good time speed guy. And then you get into the game and you can see how good he is and how athletic he is, and uh, he's plenty fast enough to win at the NFL level. So the Rams are like kind of the poster child for it right now because of these clips you know, from there behind the scenes stuff. But all these teams that are are are at the you know, the top of the top, that are scouting at the best you know, across the league, they're all using this data. They're all using analytics. And the example that I would give is like for us, you know, we want to make good content, right, we want to make content that we think is good. We want to make content what we think is interesting to people.
Speaker 3: But we also have to.
Speaker 2: Answer to engagement clicks numbers, like that's just our business, right, because that's the tangible evidence of what you're doing is working. Is that type of thing that that's what analytics are in football. You still want to the film's still king, and you still want to make the pretty picture, but when it comes to what's tangible evidence that we can point to that this is successful and this is working, that's where the analytics come into mind. And if they're going to bring a lot of that analytics stuff to the Patriots personnel in their scouting process, all the power, like, thank you, thank you, Mike Rabel, please do that. And hopefully he maybe he's poached some guys from Cleveland to come do it for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, I mean, this is where probably everybody expects me to go yell and scream about the math. I'll say this one, and I always say, it's about the draft. The Senior Bowl holds weight, especially for guys from smaller schools, but like the combine should never outweigh what the player did for four months from September to December, right right, Like, at the end of the day, you're drafting these guys. You're hiring these guys to play football. What do they look like as football players? So if a guy runs bad forty this is what I kind of kept saying about Cam Kitchens last year. It's not great, it factors into my evaluation. But I saw that guy for twelve games patrol the backs end of the defense for Miami, and I know what he can do. I know how he can cover ground on a football field. He had a bad day, like he ran a bad forty, gets one shot to prove how fast he is for his entire career. I've always thought that's ridiculous. I do still think there's value going to the combine because I think that, and this is where the math kind of loses it. How are guys operating in between the drills? How are guys you know, interacting with each other? How are they getting themselves ready immediately before the drill? How do they react after the drill? Like I think you learn about the person that way. I still think teams should go to the combine. I still think there's value in that. I think the rams are missing something there. What I will say when it comes to analytics and where I liked Rabel's answer, I've always said I like the tangible numbers, right, I like the numbers that actually mean something. To find something, you can point to me and say, there is that in action. A guy running twenty miles an hour is relevant. That is a tangible number. I am all on board for that, and say, good way to crosscheck. Oh hey, this guy ran a bad forty. Let's go look at you know what he was doing with pad on in the season and see if it reflects that. I think the same is true on the flip side. Oh this guy ran a great forty, but his numbers aren't as good in games. So he's track speed, but he's not really fast as a football player. I think kind of what happened with Taekwon Thornton. Yeah, so that like player tracking stuff, I'm all for. If they start using DVOA and EPA and all that, now you've lost me. No, now you've lost me, right or in all of that.
Speaker 2: As much as I love all that kind of stuff, NFL teams are not looking at that good.
Speaker 4: But if you're just telling me, hey, we want to actually see how fast this player ran on the field, yeah right, Yeah, they should be using that data. Because Bill Belichick could do that. There's many reasons Bill Belichick was the greatest coach of all time, but he could just one of them is I think he could just look at the film and sort of just know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I've.
Speaker 4: Always said that, Oh, Bill used the analytics.
Speaker 3: I think a.
Speaker 4: Lot of the stuff that people have to use analytics to find out, we're just common sense for Bill. So he might have been taking an analytical approach, but his brain was just a freaking supercomputer.
Speaker 2: Yes, but he also used analytics more for like value based stuff in terms of paying people, like free agents and things like that. A lot of his analytics and let him and already Adams put together besides the like you know, yeah, charting plays and personnel groupings and formations and things like that, that's like sort of a separate category. But then you know, in terms of the actual data side of it, they had models in terms of like this is what we think this player is worth, right, Like, ye, like he's worth ten, but he's getting twelve on the open market, and like how close are we going to get to that?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 2: That's where they they didn't necessarily use like Zebra tech and next gen and all that kind of right.
Speaker 4: Well, but I'm more so saying like who was I wrote this a couple of years ago, Like Patriots draft picks had bad combines. Brandon Spikes, Yeah, I had like a really bad combine. But he's like one of the I think it's like the worst testing linebacker that you're across the board or he was it a couple of drills. Bill looked at him and said, nope, I've seen it on tape that I can play football. I'll take them. I think there's some nuts all, like, there's no whether Bill Belichick. Everybody is to look at that now and they need the data to help them figure it out. So if they're going to be using like player acquisition tracking data, I don't consider that analytics. To me, analytics is like the Bill James moneyball stuff with war and and these expected this and things like that EPOA tvo. Like you're never gonna sell me on that. You will never sell me on that. That's what I consider analytics. Just looking at how fast a player runs because he's a chip in his shoulder. I guess it is technically analytics, but to me, it's like, no, that's just factfinding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like to call that like just player tracking.
Speaker 2: It's player tracking, right, but it's obviously it's it's it's organized. The data is organized by the analytics departments of these football.
Speaker 4: I get, like, I guess on a technicality, it's all right, So let.
Speaker 3: Me say that. I don't we don't need to get bogged out here.
Speaker 4: If it's if it's analytics, it's analytics, YEP, it's not the math. That is not what I would consider the math.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Yeah, And I don't we don't need to argue about the math of the seventeenth, one hundredth time of our lives.
Speaker 3: But sounds good. I definitely.
Speaker 2: I just look at it as they have all this data, they have all this stuff that's available to them that they are openly, willingly choosing to ignore, and all these other teams that are winning and are having success. And don't get me wrong, like, I'm not saying that Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes are successful because of analytics, right, Like, that's not what I'm saying. But a lot of what they're doing in Kansas City is analytically driven in terms of finding the fringe guys to help and supplement Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid and Travis Kelsey Margins and Chris Jones and right.
Speaker 4: So what Rabel's all about, that's every it's used as a dirty term, like, oh, Rabel, get ready to win on the Margins. Yeah, all I heard is get ready to win. I'm good with that. I don't really care, how I really, I don't care if they win every game by one or whenever, game by forty. If they win every game. I'm happy.
Speaker 2: So the last thing I want to talk about when it comes to this analytics thing was the conversation that's going around Twitter. You got clipped, you got well, you got one already. You know, you do seventeen different media and things. You're about to get clipped and all the all the nerds, you know, all my people, my brethren are are piling on him a little bit because he dropped the stat of like teams that rush at more than forty times or one hundred and fifty five and two or whatever, and that's causation correlation like whatever, nerd, okay, whatever. But what I look at when it comes to the run game, and this is where I think you misunderstand me again. I'm not anti running the football. I'm anti running back, but I'm not anti running the football. But if you're gonna run the football, it's you're running with a purpose, right, So I'm running for two things. I'm running for explosives and I'm running to set up play action.
Speaker 4: You need you have an explosive running back.
Speaker 3: So that's what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not one of the people that will ever believe and we need to establish the run and we need to set a tone and we need to be the more physical team. Purpose no running with the purpose to me is you're running to set up things. You're running to hit bigger plays off of play action. You are running to, you know, make explosives in the run game on its own. You are running the football late in games because you have a two score lead and you're trying to milk clock. Like that is effective efficient running. If you go into football games and you think that if we run it forty times today, we are going to win. That that's that's antiquated, right, Like you're looking at it backwards. So the good teams, because I know you're gonna mention it, but the good teams like Detroit, like Baltimore, like Philadelphia that are run first teams, ye, are highly highly efficient.
Speaker 4: Passing teams have efficient passing team.
Speaker 2: The reason why they're so efficient passing the ball, though, is because a lot of what they do in the past game branches off their run game. So that's where the hand in hand goes together. I understand that he kind of got finger wagged for the stat that he dropped, but I actually understood the bigger picture conversation that he was trying to have maybe we look at it, you know, slightly differently from there. But I'm not like totally anti it what he said. I just hope that the point of the run game for him should be to set up the pass game and to and to close out games.
Speaker 4: Why can't be to set up the fast pass game and establish some sort of physicality.
Speaker 2: Because the establishing the physicality is not gonna win you jack.
Speaker 4: But if you, if you, if you come out early and you run the ball and you put body blows into that defensive front, it's gonna get a lot harder for them to rush. The quarterback is based off of what you're physically wearing them down.
Speaker 2: There's no proofer evidence of that. There's no proofer evidence that any of that has an effect on that. Now, what does have an effect is I said to him that my favorite run was Power. Right, So you come into the game and you run Power, and you pull the guard through and you get them up on the second level, and now all of a sudden, those linebackers and those safeties have to respect the poll and now you false pull them and then you hit the play action behind it that's going on.
Speaker 4: You don't think it's a little bit harder to chase Lamar Jackson around the backfield after Derek Henry just put his shoulder in your chest to play or two before.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it is like I've never I've never been there, so I'm not gonna sit here and act like it is.
Speaker 4: Look, I've never been there. But you know, you see how defensive line and react when team runs the ball a couple times in a row, they look kind of gassed. You only start getting little banged up. Maybe you have team subbing, but now you're getting good players off the field, So I think you can do And maybe that is in a sense that is running to set up the pass, So I guess it's not counter to you. But like when I when I hear that stat, right, that what is it? It's like if you throw more than forty five times in a game quarterbacks when twenty percent of the time outside Tom Brady, Yeah right, and then the inverse that one fifty five and two when you run X number of times. I think if you go into a game planning to run the ball forty times, you're kidding yourself. I think if you go into a game outside of very very specific examples, right the win game in Buffalo or twenty fourteen against Baltimore when they came out in the second half, just like, we're not gonna run the ball. Right outside of very very specific matchup examples, if you come into a game plan to plan to throw the ball forty times, you're kidding yourself. If you come into a game plan to run the ball forty times, you're kidding yourself. The best offenses do both. The best offenses are balanced. I don't think you can win in this league, however good that one dimension is. I don't think it's possible to win in this league at a high level as a one dimensional offense. There may be games here or there. Maybe you realize after one quarter, hey, we can't run the ball in these guys. We're gonna have to throw out forty times. Or you go into a game and you realize, hey, the conditions suck for throwing. We're gonna have to run this thing the rest of the way and get there. Like that might happen in moments as in game adjustments, But if you go into a game planning to be so heavy one way or so heavy the other, you go into a season planning to be so heavy one way or so heavy the other. You're kidding yourself. It's not gonna work ideally, Like you'd love to end every game running the football five ten times in a row, because it means you're up a couple of scores. You're trying to run the clock out. So if you end up running the ball forty times, like it might happen, or maybe you're.
Speaker 2: You you have to make this comebacking right, like you run. Like the reason why teams have such a great record and they run it forty times is because they're winning and you're not.
Speaker 4: If you're nuts, if you don't think Mike Rabeil understands that. No, I think I know not. The people on the internet think he doesn't understand it, and those people.
Speaker 2: Are fell into like a little coach speaking it's not that big.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, those those people claim to know football, but their noses too deep in Microsoft Excel. My point being, oh my god, I.
Speaker 3: When you sit there and you say these things, it's just the self aware you.
Speaker 2: Know exactly what I'm talking I know you what you're talking about, but you're saying it like somebody that that like is you do not use microsoftself what like you're saying it like you're Dan Campbell, Like you have to realize there.
Speaker 4: Doesn't use Microsoft. I think I can talk about not using Microsoft Excel. I think that's perfectly fair.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 4: The point being what I got from that from Rabel was there not gonna be a one dimensional offense. I agreed, And that's good because I think a lot of people wanted them to be a one dimensional offense. I think a lot of people wanted them to be We're gonna come out and Drake may is gonna throw it all over the yard and our runs are either gonna be designed quarterback runs or him scrambling, and that's not what it's gonna be. There is still gonna be a place for running the football, traditionally running the football. It's gonna be a I don't know significance the right word, but like a major part of the offense. It'll be as much a part of the offense as throwing the football. Good good. I don't want to see them become one dimensional. That's that's how you fail. You can't be one dimensional in the modern and the same thing applies to defensively too. But like you can't be one dimensional in the modern NFL.
Speaker 2: It's just if you're gonna be a run first team, if you're gonna be like the Detroit Lions, like the Baltimore Ravens, like the Philadelphia Eagles, and you're truly gonna be a run first football team, you have to when you do pass, you have to be damn good at passing.
Speaker 4: And what did Mike Crabiles say, we have to be in effective passing team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's just that's it, right, Like if you the dude, the Lions are twenty seventh in the league and early down pass rate, Yeah, twenty seven. They run the ball a ton work, they run the ball a ton but they're such a good passing game when they have to go to their passing game. And so we both agree with the same philosophy. You pass the score, you run to win, right, And if the Patriots still adhere to that and they get to forty carries because they're up a score or two late in the game and they're just you know, running it, running it, running it to milk the clock and close out games, great, Like that's exactly where you want to be as a team if you think that you're gonna get to that point where you're running clock late in games because you have a lead.
Speaker 3: By running the.
Speaker 2: Ball and setting the tone and establishing a run and being more physical and all that kind of stuff, you're gonna be four and thirteen, You're gonna be this the Patriots of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: I think there's more to the physicality element than you're litting on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we disagree on that part.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know football is a physical game. I guess that's a hot take.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's but like, why does the physicality of the game only pertain to running the football?
Speaker 4: Running because it's run. Stopping the run is a much more physically demanding.
Speaker 2: Task for the front passive I would say pass blocking is is also physical, like you're passing.
Speaker 3: Pass blocking is not passive, like you gotta go.
Speaker 4: Pass blocking is not That's not what I said. I said Stopping a run is much more physically demanding for the defensive front. Is the offense You're trying to wear out the defensive front, And to your point.
Speaker 2: You think that it's but like, isn't it physically demanding in a different way? Like isn't chasing around the quarterback or trying to get off the ball and get around the edge.
Speaker 3: Like that's just it's just more like exclusively.
Speaker 4: You're not taking like the physical body blows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you see all the time, like you see pass rushers like wear out as games wear on because they are have been trying to.
Speaker 4: I think that's more of a gradual thing. Whereas like if you if you really punch the other team the mouth up front for the you look at the thirteen play all run drive from the Ravens, right, those guys about eight plays in that Steelers defense was tapped out.
Speaker 2: Okay, but how about you know, like if you got a receiver like AJ Brown or a receiver you know Dallas Goddard on Sunday when he's stiff arm and dudes like that's also physically hard, like to tackle guys in the secondary now it's all physically tough, like it's Sot's right exactly. So why does it just apply to the run game, Like why is it just hard to stop the run.
Speaker 4: Because if you because if you run the ball a few times, now, those guys are gassed more so than I think in the past game, especially early on. Right, I'm not talking about yes, if you throw the ball a bunch. The pass rushers get worn out in the fourth quarter. That's what happened twenty eight three. You run the ball a couple of times early on. Now those those defenders are gassed. It sets It's part of setting up the pass. Like to your point, it's part of how the run game sets up the pass. Like these guys are now because they're they're trying to tackle, they're trying to fight through double teams. They're trying, you know, they get knocked on their ass.
Speaker 3: Things like a really good way to keep the score down.
Speaker 4: I don't care if they win thirteen to six.
Speaker 2: If they win, I mean you have to care about that because they have to be able to play a different way.
Speaker 3: Your last year without.
Speaker 4: Scoring, did I not just say you cannot be one dimensioned?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you have to be in this league. You are going to have to outscore people.
Speaker 2: Yes, if they're going to try to win game seventeen to fourteen, that is a problem. They can't win that way. They basically have tried to win that I'm saying. But I'm not saying come out run the ball forty times.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. You should not do. You should not plan going into the game if you end up running it forty you're.
Speaker 2: Doing by running the ball early on in games is shortening the game, that's all you're doing.
Speaker 4: Well, you know that's something that I'm actually big on personally.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that's the problem. They've been trying to do that for three straight years.
Speaker 4: Well, a good team. Shortening the team is good. Shortening the game is good. But I there's something to be said about establishing the physicality, setting a tone, getting in a rhythm. We hear Lineman talk about that all the time too, Right, getting in a rhythm. You hit a couple of big runs, you hit a couple solid runs. Now the line's feeling it now in the defense is kind of back on their heels. And again it's that mentality. Now when you want to throw the ball, you have a established that advantage up front, and maybe that buys you more time in the past game or it gets guys cheating a little more on play action or things like that. This is you say you want to run to set up the pass, right, Yes, what does that look like? What is that's not just doing it to do it? There's something that actually happens. Sure to set up the pass but that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 2: Don't think it's not a volume thing to me, right, It's it's a looks thing to me. It's I'm not talking about volume, but you are, though, because if you're talking about shortening games and things like that, you're talking about volvan.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about like in your in your opening ten playscript, Yes, have three or four good, punch them in the mouth runs in there. That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Okay, But that's different than saying we need to establish the run. I think that's establishing the run by having three or four runs in a twenty playscript.
Speaker 4: If I said ten plays and if you hit them, well, if you execute them, well yeah you can. I think if you watch the playoff games last weekend, a couple big plays early, not even.
Speaker 2: Like explosive, but just like But I would argue in a lot of those playoff games, especially Buffalo, I would say, like they're.
Speaker 4: Buffalo's is so much more talented than Denver.
Speaker 2: Right, but they it took them until the second half to start to blow out Denver because of how they are playing in the first half. Like the I think I would say a lot of those games were closer than they should have been, Like I think Philly Green Bay was closer.
Speaker 4: I think Buffalo was just rusty because they didn't play last week essentially, like.
Speaker 2: I think that was I think Buffalo ran way too much in the first half of that game.
Speaker 4: I well, what's not to say that them running the ball in the first half is would allow them to pull away because they ran out. They ran out to Denver.
Speaker 2: There's like again, there's just no there's no tangible evidence, there's no But it's the sport because you're just saying that, like that's like you're you're you're saying that. That's like your your gut thing just says that that's true. Like there's so if they if Buffalo had come out in that game, like Denver could not score with you think Denver could not score with Bufffo. So if you just came out of that game and you threw the ball like it did when the Patriots went down, you know, to Buffalo in twenty twenty one, I.
Speaker 4: Also think that they were rusty. I also just think that Buffalo is rusty. But like you looked at look at the body language right after that thirteen play drive by the Ravens. The Steelers never mentally recovered from that, and I think it's because they're getting pushed around. And when you get knocked around a couple of times, you can't it's gonna be hard to come back up with that same little confidence. On the flip side, if you're an offensive lineman, you just knock these guys around three or four times in the first ten places, you're gonna be look at each other like, oh, we're feeling it today. Here we go. It's it's it's mental. It's mental as much as it is physical. But there is that physical demandingness that comes with I don't think that's that crazy of take.
Speaker 3: It's not. It's a it's an antiquated to take, it's not crazy.
Speaker 4: How how often do we talk about, oh, the offensive line is feeling it right there? The offense lines going.
Speaker 3: Out having success.
Speaker 4: So now I can't give you a math number exactly game. This game has been played for a long time. And when you look at teams start to run the football early. And I'm not talking about calling eight runs on your first ten plays. I'm talking about when you get.
Speaker 3: An offensive want to get them fired up.
Speaker 4: When you talk when you get an offensive line going early, right, that generally kind of carries through.
Speaker 3: Okay, So what a better way?
Speaker 4: A better way to get an offensive line going there running early, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Do you know who has confidence?
Speaker 2: Alex Mike Rabel has confidence and it's important to have when you're on the road. With Bridgestone tires on your car, truck, suv, or minivan, you're riding on tires you can trust. Bridgestone tires are engineered to give you peace of mind so you can focus on enjoying the journey. So whether you're on your morning commute, across country road trip, or relaxing Sunday drive, Bridgestone tires will be with you wherever life's roads may lead. Bridgestone Solutions for your journey available now at Sullivan Tyre. And Designing for a small space at Bob's's count Furniture you have to do. You don't have to sacrifice style or storage when working with a small footprint. Not only does Bob's have feature packed, small space friendly pieces for every room and square footage, but they're also budget friendly. Now that's multitasking, so stop in and stock up at Bob's's Confurniture official furniture store of the New England Patriots. Let's get to the phones. I know you guys have been waiting. I appreciate it. Patty is an agu on what's up?
Speaker 3: Patty?
Speaker 4: Up? Jen?
Speaker 3: How are you doing?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 6: Doing all right? So I got kind of a convoluted question, but there with me. So, if indeed Josh McDaniel is the the next stuffensive coordinator, can you kind of see them sticking to some of the gap runs. And the reason why I asked is my favorite tackle coming out this year is actually Josh Connerly hevn't. I can't wait for you to watch them on this guy. He's but to me, like I think he's more in depth to play in that zone style, whereas like Banks might be able to you know, bridge both styles, because you know, he's he's kind of a a monster, you know. But h Connor is a really good athlete. And from everything that I've heard, like he's twenty he just turned twenty one years old. They don't think that he's hit his physical well, he hasn't hit his physical peak yet, but he's he's only been playing on the line for a few years because he was a running back in basketball player. So I just want to know, like if if they don't run any of those gaps teams, could you see him as a fit in the system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, day, thanks for the call, Patty, So thanks. In terms of Connorly, I have watched Connory. Yeah, I've seen a little bit of Connorly from the championship game, which was a Big Ten championship. What freaking conference is Oregon? And at this point Big ten championship game?
Speaker 4: Uh now, let me I should I guess I should check an update the way things are going right this morning.
Speaker 2: He's a very athletic guy, very toolsy, you know, still young, still raw. Like Patty talked about, not probably not you know, a traditional gap run to.
Speaker 3: He is more of like a high level pass a little more at.
Speaker 2: A little bit more athletic, but that's what you're looking for on the blind side with me, with Connorley just starting there, I just I wonder how hw his ceiling is in terms of where he goes in the draft, Like with a draft that has some question marks with certain tackles and you know, are they guards or whatever.
Speaker 3: He could go high, like he could.
Speaker 2: Be somebody that sneaks up into the late team's early twenties. I would say just based off the fact that he's got all the trades, he's got some good film against some good competition, you know, late in the season for Oregon. So I just worry about is he going to sort of be in that no man's land for the Patriots who have four and thirty eight? Like, how do you bridge the gap if he goes twenty, Like, you're not, You're not gonna be in the range for him.
Speaker 4: And that's where trading down comes in will be interesting him Arianta Urseres another guy like who are kind of in that same range. Good player, good player, But yeah, it's going to kind of be about where where do they land him. I still am and the camp of trade down especially. I don't know if you saw Dane Burglar's mock draft today, Yes, I said the son I like to. I do too. I didn't love it for the Patriots. That's not actually the point I wanted to make. I said this the other night on Twitter, and I think it's something we're gonna need to talk about quite a bit. His top three were cam Ward I think this is in ORR if I have it correctly, cam Ward, Abdull Carter and Travis Hunter. So like, I don't think the conversation is is Abdull Carter the best player on the Is Abdull Carter the right player for the Patriots at four? I think the real question is Abdual Carter going to be on the board at four for the Patriots? And you know, I asked that and a lot of people said, well, you draft Travis Hunter. I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I think that there's a chance that you only have one quarterback go in in the top three, and it's Carter and Hunter with him. So now those two guys are off the board. So now what do you do? Do you take Teed McMillan at four? Do you take Kelvin Bankster, Will Campbell at four? Do you take Mason Graham? I still think moving down makes the most sense, and maybe that's you move the bridge the gap. Do you move from four to six? Out of know Evan, you tell me if this is an overpay by the Raiders, do you move from four to six and then get thirty seven? And that's the whole trade and you don't get in the future first, which would kind of suck, But you don't have a ton of leverage in a two quarterback draft, But now you have thirty seven and thirty eight in the second round, and you can do a lot with that, and you could package those two and probably get back up into the top twenty right around twenty. So it let's call twenty two to be just to split the difference. Would you rather pick and if you don't think it's a fair if you don't think the Raiders would do it, feel free to say that. But would you rather pick at four and thirty eight where you still maybe have a chance at Carter, or now you have no chance at Carter, but you're now picking at like six in twenty two?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if the Raiders would do that.
Speaker 3: I think it would. It would, Matt.
Speaker 2: You know, you tell me that these quarterbacks are gonna go higher than I think. So I guess if the Raiders are worried that somebody from behind them is going to jump them for Sir Door Sanders, and they want to make sure they have them sign sealed delivered by moving up the four, like I could see a trade like that happening. I would probably rather pick twice in the first round in this type of class. I feel like, there's gonna be some guys at in the twenties in this draft that are going to be really interesting players that probably aren't shore fire, blue chip and top of the line prospects, but have those types of traits like Connory Josh Simmons, who I know you're luke warmon, but if he's your second pick in the draft and other things happen in free agency, some of the receivers you know, a Mecca Abuka, Matthew Gold and Luther Burden, like those types of guys. I don't think those guys are top ten players in a draft, but you pick you know, Luther Burden at twenty two, like that makes sense. You know, that's right where the Ze Flowers JSN group went a couple of years ago that I can get on board with.
Speaker 3: And I do think that that helps you a lot.
Speaker 2: Whereas when you wait all the way to thirty eight to make your second pick in this draft, I think there's a pretty significant drop off because it's not a great top of the draft. The drop off there comes quick, and I think it's gonna come hard for a lot of teams. So if you're really looking for a guy that can make a day one impact, you're probably gonna have to move up from thirty eight to get that.
Speaker 4: Sh So moving down from four to then move up, Yeah, you know, I don't think especially if Carter's not there at four, if Carter and Hunter are not there at for I don't know that you like, are Will Campbell and Calvin Bank's going, Well, they're not going like four your trading for quarterbacks, So you're gonna lose one guy at five. Now you're on the board at six. Now you're in great shape. So I still think trading back makes the most sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to the gap scheme question, if they hire.
Speaker 3: McDaniels, they're gonna run gap. Yeah, like that that that's always what he's done.
Speaker 2: That's always you know, outside zones obviously in his playbook and it's in his arsenal. But if they hire McDaniels in McDaniel's playbook, yeah, well that's Daniels' playbook. Is that, it's literally everything. If they're gonna hire McDaniels, they're gonna run Downhill at teams, they're gonna run Gap, they're gonna run Power, they're gonna run Counter, they're gonna run Iso, you know, lead full back dive, whatever you wanna call it. They're gonna run. Uh, They're gonna run all that type of stuff. They're gonna get downhill.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: If they go with one of these West Coast guys, and they're probably gonna stick to what Rabel did in Tennessee and run some outside zone and be a wide zone team, which is okay too. Like it doesn't it doesn't really matter now, assuming that you know it's not college. It's not They're not going in the portal and turning over the entire roster most likely, So assuming that they still have some of the same pieces, I do still believe that their personnel fits a gap scheme better. Like I still would rather see Mike on Wentu in a gap scheme. I still would rather see Leyden Robinson if he's a guy that has potential to start down the line, Cayden Wallace if he has potential to start down the line. I would still rather see those guys in a gap scheme. So I like the idea of that better. But if you're telling me that they're going to completely retool the entire offensive line and get more athletic and get leaner and get all that type of stuff, then okay, then you can go back to the zone scheme. But in Tennessee they had to do that. You know, they the floor kind of started it, Arthur Smith kind of finished it off. They they changed how they evaluated the line, and they didn't draft big three hundred and fifty pound guards, you know, so that that's a whole philosophical shift. They could get there. You know, it's possible that you could get there, but that.
Speaker 3: Would take time.
Speaker 2: You know, that's more than one off season, I would think to make that sort of thing happen. All right, Cole is in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: What's up, Coley? I were doing? Cole.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 7: So I'm pretty excited about the rabel hire obviously, just like everybody else. And I kind of agree with Evan obviously.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 7: As far as an experienced offensive coordinator goes, Josh McDaniels pretty easy pick. It feels like the only thing I'm worried about. Like, even with Bill at the height of the Patriots, you know, he still had guys around him that weren't necessarily yes man Ernie Adams who could at least butt heads with him and challenge his way of thinking. So I'm just hoping that you know, obviously Rabel's a pretty strongly opinionated guy. You know, he's passionate, you know, so I feel like it's important to find a guy that you know, doesn't have to soft skin, just isn't gonna do be a yes man and can challenge his way of thinking as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a it's a good question.
Speaker 4: Thanks to say something and the press conference where it's like, we don't all want to be I don't want everybody to be on the same page or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you definitely want people to challenge.
Speaker 4: You, right, It hit everybody weird. It's like, why why don't why doesn't he want everybody in the same page. I took that to mean like, yeah, I don't want let yes men Like, yeah, you're gonna get on the same page eventually. But you know, differentiating off idea as things like that. You know that's for somebody like Ryan Cowden. You look at him and it's all right. You know he's been with Verbel before, they have a working relationship, and you look for him to be that guy. Elliott Wolfe, you know, comes from a different background, can maybe be that guy and push back a little bit. I'm not super worried about Rabel insulating himself. I'm really he just doesn't seem like that kind of guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not super worried about it either. And I think there will be guys that have differing opinions on this staff, and there probably are on every single staff. But I think the most important thing is when we talk about personnel and we talk about this type of stuff, is do you need to really identify? And I think that they didn't really have the time to do this with your odd but you really need to identify, like what is a Patriot player? Like what is and I'm not talking about the intangibles. I'm talking about skill sets, like what is a Patriot wide receiver? What is a Patriot running back? What's a Patriot tackle? And if you can stick to the archetypes of the guys that you're searching for, then it becomes like a well oiled machine.
Speaker 4: So I'm talking about last week with the program, part of the program as the kind of players we want, and now it you know it. It makes things a lot easier because you know what you're looking for. Yeah, I mean, look, it's a I don't expect them to know that right now, like, you need to know who your coordinators are before we're going to do that. It's obviously low hanging fruit, but like just to look at, you know, the slot receiver for example, and the Patriots an old way of doing things. They knew that the Troy Brown, Dion Branch, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Danny Amandola, Like they knew what to look for to get that guy, and so they were not only able to continually pass the torch and get that guy, they were also able to get it later in the draft, Like they never had to reach on that guy in like the first or the second round because they knew the exact type of player that they were looking for, and they could find that player like Welker, you know, is a is a sign and trade situation as an RFA. Edelman's obviously a well known seventh round pick quarterback at the college level. Jacobe Myers is an undraftfted rookie free agent, right, Like, so you were able to do these types of things, and I think that's big. I'll give you another one that's a little less uh less obvious. I'm trying to remember where this tree starts because obviously He's not like Teddy Bruski. But you go from a Landon Roberts to Juwan Bentley, right, that kind of linebacker. I'm trying to remember who that was before Roberts.
Speaker 2: But right Landon Roberts obviously Dante high Towers like the apex version of that, right, yeaferent pet Johnson. Uh, you know a Landon Roberts is going Jawan Bentley. Now, even like Terrees Hall, who we love to talk about from the twenty twenty season, like even though he didn't have a ton going for him, he was a sledgehammer. That guy could take on a guard you want to lead through the line of scrimmage with the full back. Theres Hall was meeting you at the party right right, and that that type of guy is a skill set, it's a type and they were able to find those types of guys, you know, man coverage corners, Like, we're not gonna draft ballhawks, We're not gonna draft zone guys.
Speaker 4: We're gonna draft several one time Withcy.
Speaker 3: Jackson, Yeah, well I was, you know, different situation.
Speaker 2: But we're gonna draft Chushian Gonzales, We're gonna draft Marcus Jones, We're gonna draft guys that can.
Speaker 4: Run mind Stefan Gilmore, Right, we're gonna sign to yep.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know Jack Nelson from Wisconsin to tackle hearing a little hearing a lot about him, Yeah, because he's got all the traits and experience and stuff, I mean tackle. Yeah, I've seen a little bit of all as one of the emailers. Uh, you know, everybody keeps asking me about that guy. I've seen a little bit of him. I haven't seen enough to like have a full take on it, but uh, I've seen a little bit of him. And uh, you know, the one thing that I always worry about with tackles like that is like the height can be a detriment, right, Like if you're too tall and you don't have the flexibility in your lowers to like be able to sink and leverage and really get into your chair, then you can almost be too tall for the position.
Speaker 4: Who was the guy when we're at the Shrine Bowl from Baylor who was like six eight three thirty and he was physical as hell. Yeah, he was moving guys left and right, but he couldn't bend at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you.
Speaker 2: Remember, Yeah, I know who you're talking about, But you know, like a guy like Joe Walt is really tall. But Joe Walt's got great lower body flexibility and great uh, you know, knee bend.
Speaker 4: And he can make himself six to two like that, right.
Speaker 3: Exactly, That's a good way of putting it.
Speaker 2: Andrew here he emails in and says that he's worried about Josh McDaniels, not because of a Patriots retread thing, but he's worried about changing systems on Drake May. And this is a fair concern, you know. He said, it's like, you know, getting a Spanish teacher to teach German, or a German teacher to speak whatever. And he's right, you know, it's a different system, it's a different terminology. And if I had one concern with Josh McDaniels, it's not so much the change of the language.
Speaker 3: It's it's more so, I would say, how much.
Speaker 2: His system puts on the quarterback at the line of scrimmage. I actually liked the idea of the center taking on a lot of those responsibilities, and I loved We.
Speaker 3: Talked to AVP.
Speaker 2: I forget which time it was, but as before the season started, and I remember he said to me that, you know, the quarterback has got enough to worry about, right, Like he's got he's got to read the coverage, he's got to read the defense. He's got to read his progressions. He's got to get the ball out accurately. He's got to time up his footwork, like he's got enough things on his mind to then also have to worry about protections and what's going on up front and all that kind of stuff. I actually really liked the approach of putting most of that on the center. Now they were able to do it with rookie year Mac Jones, So I don't know what they did that. Maybe streamlined it a little bit for Mac his rookie year, because I can't imagine Mac was out there his rookie season like a field general, you know, putting everybody in their proper places. So maybe they did do some things to tweak it mac Jones's rookie season to help him out. So maybe they could do that with Drake, But that would be my one concern with that system for Drake is putting a lot more mentally on his plate pre snap at the line scrimmage and maybe bogging him down a little bit and not letting him play as fast and loose as we know he can play. So I'm not necessarily worried about changing languages on him.
Speaker 3: I am worried about that a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm with you. I mean we heard him talking camp about how in the West Coast system it's like fourteen fifteen word play calls and how that was a challenge. So you're not gonna I think McDaniel still has some of those, but it's not gonna be as many as it is in a West Coast playbook. Yeah, it's it's it's the pre snap stuff, and maybe they find a way, especially if Andrews is back, to kind of keep some of that with the center. Yeah, even in McDaniel's system kind of blend it. But I'm with you. By the way, that tackle was Connor Gallvian. Oh yeah, Connor gall he's still on the Lions. Yeah, he's on IR but he's on the Lions.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember Connor g There's another one there too that was like similar build, that was also really tall and also maybe went to Pitt.
Speaker 3: I want to say Pitt. I don't remember, though, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just remember Connor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember both of those guys being there. So here's another question from Thomas that I I've seen a lot.
Speaker 3: You know, if you get one of these, as.
Speaker 2: You know, we feel like we've we've so to coined the phrase type pants guy.
Speaker 3: If you get the type pants guy.
Speaker 4: The YouTube chat's been all over you saying that. I think you've said it like if people playing a drinking game. Every time you say it they passed out a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Oh really, yeah, I haven't even noticed that. Uh hey, this one says it in the email.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying I'm not saying it's wrong. No, it's good. How am I supposed to describe It's a good shorthand. I just think it's funny that in the chat noticed, do not play that game. By the way, don't, seriously don't.
Speaker 3: If if you hire that guy, I'm not gonna say it again.
Speaker 2: Now, if you hire the innovative offensive coordinator takes a new age right exactly, So say I, if you hire that guy, then can you hire McDaniels as a quarterbacks coach? I do not know why Josh McDaniels would do that. Josh McDaniels is sitting pretty right now. The Raiders are still paying them like he's got all the money in the world. I have no idea why he would come here to be a quarterback. If anything, I've wondered, could you do it the other way? Could you hire some young upshot coordinator and Josh McDaniels essentially becomes a much much, much, much much better version of Ben mcint Yes, yeah, that's I think it is definitely fair. A couple questions about some Day two wide receiverst I don't know if this guy's gonna go on Day two. Matthew Golden, he's like the darling right now. Everybody loves Matthew Golden from.
Speaker 3: Two games in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: No, he's been good all year. Everybody's just discovering him because everybody was so locked in on Isaiah Bond during the year. Matthew Golden is a really good receiver. He's a really good So you know, I love those like well rounded guys where I'm like, I don't know that he does any one thing amazing, but like find a weakness in his gaming. Can't maybe a little small, but like he looks like one of these complete guys that's just gonna come in day one and go. And I know people as what you said about Jalleen Polk. No, Jalen Polk was like for what he was, seemed NFL ready, but he was what he was, which was like a chain mover. He wasn't super athletic, wasn't a separator. No, Matthew Golden has some explosiveness to him, has the ability to separate. He can create big place. He's not a chain mover. He's a big play threat. He can make plays at all three levels. He's gonna be like a fringe first round pick. I think he's right there with Agbuca. Like the top is Tep mcmill and we've talked about this the disclaimer. Travis Hunter is the number one Travis Hunter in the draft.
Speaker 3: He's his own thing.
Speaker 4: We're putting him to the side. Tet McMillan's best receiver in a draft, Luthor Burden's number two. I think when you get to that like next tier, right, it's like Buca, it's Bolden. I feel like I'm missing somebody, but like he's right there in that next group Luthor Burden. No, I said I put Burden in between.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, Burn's better.
Speaker 4: Than a Buca and Golden, but he's not as good as mcmill.
Speaker 2: So the other names that he put out there were Trey Harris, who I know a lot of people are big fans of we're gonna talk a lot about yeah, and uh Jalen Royal. So I'm looking forward to seeing it the Senior Bowl. I haven't watched a ton of his film yet, but he's gonna be in Mobile, which will be good. So Trey Harris, I watched a little bit of him the other day.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The one thing that I noticed with him is, you know, he's kind of more of like a builder of speed than he is like a true burner on the outside that good size and a good catch rightious his hands are you know, he has some of those tracking you know, over the shoulder focus drops if you want to call him those. I'm not in love with Trey Harris's game. I I see it like I see the archetype that he fits the outside, bigger X receiver.
Speaker 3: But I'm just saying I'm not a big fan.
Speaker 4: That guy from Old Miss you know what the takes gonna be. Yeah, but he's nothing like I know, but get ready for a totally I'm not saying that I don't think Brown's like a running back with the football. But just get ready to hear that.
Speaker 2: Jalen Royals, I'm looking forward to seeing down in Mobile. Like I said, I like Matthew Golden the lot. I definitely think Matthew Golden is more of like a z or An off the line. He doesn't he doesn't have the size or the play strength to play the X spot. And I saw some stuff, especially against Georgia, where he struggled a little bit against press and things of that nature. But he's really bursty. He's really smooth at the top of the route. One of those guys that doesn't have to to discelerate too much at the top, like he can just break right through.
Speaker 3: He's got good explosiveness through the top.
Speaker 2: He's one of those players that if you move him around like a chess piece, you move him in motion, you start him in motion, your cheap motion thing, Like he's going to eat up and cushion fast and break really quickly.
Speaker 4: I saw something, Jalen Wadall, I don't think he's quite that fast. Yeah, so stage wise.
Speaker 3: I could so. I touted you this last night.
Speaker 2: I got you who said, that's my my con for Matthew Golden right now?
Speaker 3: Is Jayden Reid agree? But yeah, that's what I see because I think he can't.
Speaker 2: He has really good ball skills and he can win in some crowds and things like that, which is true with Jayden Reid too, but his like his special trade is his acceleration and his speed, and I think both those guys have that. So I'm with Matthew Golden, but again, I think with all these guys and I I'm really also really looking forward.
Speaker 3: To, uh the Miami kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's going to be down in mobile and Williams going to be a mobile. Yes, yeah, also all of that, like Tier is all going to be at the Senior Bowl. Perfectstreppo excites me. He reminds me a ton of Khalil Shakir.
Speaker 4: He's bigger na though, isn't he?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Clear is a decent size, like in terms of thickness. So I'm looking forward to seeing him too when he moves it and just runs with the football like five ten yeah, probably like five ten, five eleven, only five ten.
Speaker 4: I think he's like six ft six one, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it binds me a little bit of Shaker just the way that he like weaves with the ball and you know, good with the ball in his hands.
Speaker 4: While we're that you got any recency bias, guys.
Speaker 2: Uh, I might, but give me a second. I want to read some more of these emails. So this is uh Nicholas and I've heard this name a ton. When Fred brought this name up, he's he's high on this player.
Speaker 4: Boy.
Speaker 2: So we both agree on this one for once. Okay, So Nicholas brings up Mason Graham. Okay, And my take on Mason Graham is that I hear where everybody's saying, where like, if you're just taking best player available and Travis Hunter and Abdul Carter off the board and you're just going best player available, there's a case for Mason Graham. But I'm not a just pure BPA type of guy. I'm a best player available at a premium position of need, the best player.
Speaker 4: Available for the football team in specific.
Speaker 3: So I think we're kind of yeah, splitting hairs there.
Speaker 2: I am not drafting an interior defensive lineman at four overall, unless the one caveat is that a doctor tells me that Christian Barmer is never going to play football again, right, which God, I hope is not the case, right, But I'm just saying if that is the case, then okay, Like.
Speaker 4: It becomes more of a conversation.
Speaker 2: But the only issue that I have with Mason Graham that high is that you are counting on him being like I don't want to put.
Speaker 3: Him in Aaron Donald because that's unfair.
Speaker 2: But like, you know what I'm trying to say, Cox, You're trying to put him in a tier where he is one of the elite, elite interior pass rushers at the position, like a top five player at that position. Chris Jones, Fletcher Cox, you know, like we're talking about.
Speaker 3: A stud of studs.
Speaker 2: If that's what you're telling me that he is, then okay, but he if you're it's almost like taking a guard.
Speaker 3: It's not quite as.
Speaker 2: Bad, but it almost is where like you better be getting freakin' John Hannah if you're taking a guard that high. And I just don't know if Mason Graham is quite that good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you can answer this better than me. How are you going to get him in barmore both on the field where he's on the field a significant amount as a top draft pick, like you need him on the field. It's a defensive tackle taking that high you're talking at least like sixty five seventy percent usage rate Barmar's if he's healthy, he's probably one of your top three best players, right, It's him, May and Gonzales, So you want him on the field a significant amount. So now, like, what are you doing in the end? Is one of them playing in? Now you're pretty big, Like, how's that good? I'm not saying it can't work, but you're you're really kind of putting yourself in a box if you make that pick, and you so you have to be damn sure that he's gonna give you the outcome that you're expecting, because if not, it comes really hard to justify that pick.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So they're both three techniques naturally, right, and so you can you know, you could obviously make it work with them being three four ends like you know four I five technique ends over the tackle or outside shade the guard on early downs passing downs, Like you worry about how that is going to fit together, Like how do you have both those guys on the field. You know, the Patriots in the past, they've always liked to run like that mebafront where they have one down lineman over the nose, like, okay, so how is that Christian Barmore? Is that Mason Graham? Are you gonna play with two three techniques?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: If you're gonna do that, then you have nobody in the A gaps, So now you have to find ways to cover the A gaps. And like those types of things are all you know in consideration with that type of pick. He's an up the field player as well. Like you, I don't look at Mason Graham on film and necessarily think of him as a great two gapping.
Speaker 3: And he's not.
Speaker 2: And he's not, you know, a pure two gapping end I So in that respect, you know the guy that he reminds me a lot of. And I know that this guy was drafted a little bit later but has had a great rookie year for the Rams.
Speaker 3: Is Brandon Fiskey, right, Like, he just up the.
Speaker 2: Field, absolute terror to block and just a screamer, right And and that's a great player. Fisky is one of the best young players in the league. That's outside of the bos you want, Yeah, Barmore is more physical though. Barmore is stronger and more and stouter than Graham is. But yeah, like you have that role filled, Yeah.
Speaker 3: You do.
Speaker 2: It's one of the few roles that you have filled with the blue chip play.
Speaker 4: Right exactly, So like why double down on that with this premium massage?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I'm totally with you there.
Speaker 2: David says, Uh, we need to get Rabel on catch twenty two. I'd love I'd love to see Stacy's face on.
Speaker 4: That one option.
Speaker 2: Uh, that would be good. Open invitation is right, anytime he wants to come.
Speaker 4: On any any time, staff really not just any Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's gonna happen, Field, and uh, let's take these calls and then we gotta we gotta end this plane, because land this plane, because I got I got some good interviews lined up on the place for Vrabel. By the way, I can protease that. I don't want to say who, but it's gonna be a good one. All right, Dan is in Philadelphia?
Speaker 3: What's up? Dan? Or Don? Sorry? Don?
Speaker 7: Hey guys, I just want to quickly how appealing do you think New England is as a free agent destination with Vrabel as compared to you know, if Ben Johnson did come in, And I think you guys pretty much nailed it with the coordinator talk today, so I wanted to jump to the draft here. I'm kind of a firm believer that now with Vrabel as a head coach, I wasn't necessarily in on taking Travis Hunter if he's available, but I think Rabel is the right coach to turn him into a special player in the league. But for this hypothetical, if Travis Hunter and Abdull Carter are off the board, are you guys planning to stick there? Do you think the talent is there? Are you trading back? You know, I know you just mentioned why have two blue chip players like Mason Graham and Barmore on the defensive line, But is Will Johnson a consideration? Are you trading back and maybe thinking receiver? You know, what's your what's your draft strategy going forward? I'll take it off air.
Speaker 3: Thank yeah, thanks for the call.
Speaker 2: Do so on the first point about being a free agent destination, I'm interested to ask some players that for this piece about that, and because they did sign his free agents with Rabel.
Speaker 3: But I do think it's better, certainly.
Speaker 2: Because you're not current free like free agents that are coming up, you know, in twenty twenty five, I know that you're talking to a past you're not talking current twenty twenty five guys though new co current. I do think it's it's a better sell. You have a guy that has a proof of concept and a guy that knows how to coach and can probably really present like a plan of like this is how we're gonna use you, and this is what we're gonna do, and all those types of things. So I'm I think it's definitely a better job than where they were. But money talks like it's gonna take money still, like there's still not a destination to the point where they're gonna get guys at discounts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I'm one hundred percent with you, you know. Compared to Ben Johnson, I think some of that's probably personality thing. I think there are certain kinds of players that would probably rather play for Mike Rabel. I think there's certain kind of players, certain kinds of players that rather pay for play for Ben Johnson. I think they are more of a destination now than they were before, but yet they're they're not getting anybody without paying them the most money. At the end of the day, they got to pay people the most money to come here whoever the coaches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely also agree with the caller about Travis Hunter, like I feel better.
Speaker 3: I still don't feel great about it.
Speaker 4: Right, No, better, I don't. Yeah, I still don't know. I would take him over Will Johnson, like if I need to. We're gonna learn a lot at the Combine about what his plans are. I still just it's so hard to take about Travis Hunter because I don't know where he's gonna play, and I don't know what his plan's gonna be and how open he's gonna be, the different plans and things like that, because that's what it really comes down to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would be interesting to see.
Speaker 4: I assume that his also think I think he's going to the Giants, So.
Speaker 2: I think his answers that the Combine are gonna be that he wants to play both ways.
Speaker 3: I think that's what he wants to do.
Speaker 2: It's just not realistic, it's not but I think that's what he wants to do, or at least do it in some sort of packaged.
Speaker 3: Way that it is realistic.
Speaker 2: You know, he plays twenty five snaps on defense and twenty five on offense, or you know, ten on offense, but fifty on defense, you know, try to find that happy medium. But I don't think that he's going to go in the league and only play on one side of the ball unless he gets into the NFL, and maybe he has to learn the hard way, Like maybe he has to learn the hard way.
Speaker 4: This is too But I feel like if you get to that point and when I say playboat, like, yeah, he can be a package player. But that's what that's what I worry about, is he's too ambitious. The coaching staff is too ambitious. You get to the point where you're learning something the hard way. At that point it's too late, Like now, all right, you're wasting time with this great player. So that's what worries me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Sal is in Linnfield. I believe it says, yeah, Sal, what's up?
Speaker 3: Sal?
Speaker 8: Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Boyd?
Speaker 8: Sale of my friends call me money Listen. I feel like the tackle position on this rough the is not good enough. You know, I was I was to standout in high school and I think I could do a better jump than Madarian Lowe and the boys there. So I'm really liking the idea of drafting a tackle. I like, I really like Campbell. I also think we should probably move up somewhere in this draft, top fifteen maybe and look at Ashton gent. I also Scattabo Scataboo. However, he's a pretty good, pretty good player.
Speaker 3: But I feel like this guy's trolling a good one. All right, all right, thanks, so that might have been.
Speaker 4: I think so. I have said for the record, I do not think the Patriots and draft in the first drafts. No, they they they have too Manykees take a running back that high look like, but.
Speaker 3: He built it around Derrick Henry, Alex.
Speaker 4: Ashton Gent's not This is your same thing with comparing Mason Graham to to Aaron Donald, Like, okay, you know, let's not. I'm not comparing any right, Derrick Henry. I've said this year, We're never gonna see Derrick Henry again, like just because of how basileagu geted he is and to the way the league's going, We're never gonna see a guy like Derreck Henry again. Uh, Cam Skataboo good player. I would like to see him draft a running back. I do think with Rabel there is a chance they drive, especially if he doesn't believe vermonder Stevenson can fix his fumbling issues. I do think there's a chance they're gonna take a running back somewhere that's gonna make you uncomfortable. I don't think it's gonna be in the first round. Maybe it's on Day two. Those Ohio State backs. Man, if he wants to find again, I'm not gonna compare anybody to Derrick Henry, but if he wants to find himself, a bell cow right twenty five carries a game seventeen games this season. Can can weather the tear, can still be giving out body blows with all of that that contact that he's taking. Oh boy, would Quinn Shaw and Judkins be fun in that offense or Travon Henderson. I like Judkins a little bit better, But like those Ohio State backs, Mari, just those stop stop, don't do that thing good football, don't don't, don't blame.
Speaker 3: Up front. We're gonna be a bunch of hogs. So you don't.
Speaker 4: So you don't like the Ohio State running backs.
Speaker 3: Uh, they're fine. I think they're all.
Speaker 2: I think this running back class is so deep and uh and has so many names in it that like just just just take something.
Speaker 4: I think there's a ton of good Backs. I don't think you can miss running back this year.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't. I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not putting any sort of priority on that position if they're gonna go a little higher, which I wouldn't be surprised if they do.
Speaker 4: I like the Ohio State guys, but that guy was definitely trolling or maybe or maybe you maybe a Mario a mari and Hampton is more realistic of conversation than we thought. There we go and reuniting him with Drake Man. You like Hampton, I know you like Hampton.
Speaker 2: I do like Hampton. I saw him at the pro day, and I am very, very as much recency bias as I have. I'm also biased to people that I saw in person, the Ohio State guys. I think most people that that do this for a living are that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, if you see so, I I definitely am all right.
Speaker 4: That does it.
Speaker 2: I have to take a call out too, so we have to a few minutes earlier here, but I think next week, you know, next week. I know we have a lot of questions in here about like draft strategy and Vrabels types and things. We obviously had to open the show today with our thoughts on the higher and all that kind of stuff to begin with. So next week we'll get right back into it. And then the week after that, Not to make you feel bad because I wish you were coming with me, but the week after that, I will be in Mobile for the Senior Bowl, so we'll do a show. Alex will be here running the ship from home base, and I'll be at the Senior Bowl, so we'll have plenty of draft talk on that show. Obviously will be all draft talk. We'll just do mobile mobile Mobile down there. So I'm really looking forward to that on my second trip to the Senior Bowl. So I'm excited for that, and I'm really excited just also to observe and see who's there from the Patriots will be interesting in itself, so we'll see what reports I can come up from there. But one more time, our friends at bud Light's easy to drink, easy to enjoy, bud Light the official beer sponsor of the New England Patriots. All right, we'll see you guys next week and we'll get into a lot of draft talk.
Speaker 3: In a couple weeks and I'm in Mobile.
Speaker 2: But until then, signing off for Alex Bartam Evan Lazarre, See you next time.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 5: Thank you for downloading this podcast. Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.
Speaker 4: Patriots Postgame Show.
Speaker 1: Join Matt Smith along with Patriots dot COM's Paul Perrillo and Mike dessou as they offer instant analysis after every Patriots game.
Speaker 4: We bring you the good, the bad, and the injured from each game.
Speaker 1: Plus you'll hear press conferences, exclusive player interviews, and more on the Patriots Postgame Show. Search for Patriots Postgame anywhere you get your podcasts