Speaker 1: Welcome back to Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshon, I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshon recording on Father's Day. Happy Father's Day, Dad.
Speaker 2: And save to you, Jeff. And now you're a father twice with body bell, so this is even more special to you. How has today gone for Dad number two?
Speaker 1: Well, if I'm being honest, late last night, so Saturday night, my wife kind of looks at me. We are like ten days into having a newborn. We have the toddler who's almost three, So trust me, I'm glad she's not super focused on Father's Day. For goodness sake. I mean, my wife is recovering from delivering a baby. We're taking care of this new body. We're trying to manage that our toddler still loves us. It's a very stressful situation over here. But she kind of looks at me and goes, what do you want to do? Right like, because that's the way my Father's Day goes? And I told her, is this not so? Jeff Kirkchin, I said, I want to organize the garage and cut the yard. I told her, I want to do manual labor on Father's Day, and she said, okay, we'll free you up in order to do it. And listen. I love the snuggles with body, I love playing and coloring with McKinley. But these are things that have been on my mind that I need to get done, and I want time to do them.
Speaker 2: After you're done organized. Yes, it's not pathetic, Jeff. You got that from me. And after you're done organizing your garage, I want you to come organize our garage. How about that.
Speaker 1: I can organize my garage on a Father's Day. We would need a father's month to get through yours.
Speaker 2: I think we would need a father's year to get through our not the point, I'm really quick.
Speaker 1: It's worth noting that you and I both without communicating war dad or grandfather shirts. You have a for those on YouTube, which you should subscribe right now. If you haven't already, check us out Great Game or what dot com or that's the website you can get to our YouTube from there. Of course, we want you to subscribe and be a part of the podcast. Dad. You have a pop pop sweatshirt excellent, well done right.
Speaker 2: Wearing it for the first time. It was a Father's Day present. From your mother. Being a grandfather is all kidding aside, the greatest thing that's ever happened to me, because I've got more children and my children are evolved in this equation. It's so great. And my dad was the greatest grandfather ever. His nickname was pop and since I couldn't take that because he's the best ever, I've always said it takes two of me to equal one of my That's why I am pop pop. And Carson, our oldest grandson, oldest grandchild, said the other day that you should be pop pop like five times because you have five grandchildren, so you shouldn't be pop up. You should be pop hoop pop pop pop pop pop up pop pop. How about That's that's incredible.
Speaker 1: That's so perfect and so fitting for you. So you've got your brand new pop pop sweatshirt. And I have this shirt that says girl dad now granted as of now, I am no longer only a girl dad. I am also a girl and boy dad. I got one of each. I got my son Body who's ten days old, and I got my daughter McKinley, three in August, and I got to get a new shirt obviously, and this one is a little bit tight on the dadbod, so it's probably good that I can get a new one. My chest hair is popping up. Thanks for that.
Speaker 2: Good for you, Jeff. Let's get you a new shirt, dad. Jeff, So my dad, since it's Father's Day. My dad was the greatest dad ever, and as I said, the greatest grandfather ever. And he taught me everything I needed to know about baseball. He taught me how to play the game as well as my two brothers. He taught me how to love the game, and he gave us all a great feel for the game. My dad, you remember, Jeff, Dad was. My dad was a good hitter. I mean I can remember him being a pretty good hitter in his seventies. So he used to joke around when he was in his seventies that he was a better hitter than Joe DiMaggio because at seventy he might have been, because I'm sure Joe Demagio never picked up a bat after he retired, and my father still loved to swing a bat when he was in his seventies. So jokingly, I made a license plate frame and the license plate frame said better hitter than Joe DiMaggio. So in the final ten years of my dad's life, he drove a car in which the license plate frame said better hit her than Joe DiMaggio. You remember that, right, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, I don't want to speak ill of the dead. But the reason, one of the reasons why Joe DiMaggio was such a fierce competitor is because he was just that. He was fierce. He was no joke out there and nothing would upset him more. Any player to pick to mess around with Joe Demaggio might be one of the last I would want to. But the best part of the story is the fact that, unfortunately, at his passing, that then became Nana's car, my grandmother. So she drove for years better hitter than Joe DiMaggio. And people would pull up and see an eighty seven year old woman driving.
Speaker 2: Right, and the story there is she's parked at a traffic light. Again, this is my mom, the greatest lady ever, who grew up in England. So even though she grew up in our house, she's not exactly the biggest baseball fan ever. And a guy pulls up next to her in the car, rolls down as his window and yells jokingly at my mother, I bet you're not a better hitter than Ted Williams. And she came home and told me that story and basically asked, what do you What do you think he meant by that? So I had to explain the guy in the other car was trying to be funny about this, and it was lost a little bit on my mother. But that's okay. And as you know, Jeff, my dad, the way he taught us how to play the game was just so important to him and to us. A number of times I would take a car ride with him and he would just out of the blues say, all right, you're playing third base, first and second, you know, ground ball to your left, fast runner on you know, where's the ball going. He did this all the time, and I'm going to have you fill in the blank on this. In the in the rec room, he used to routinely after our games would throw a pillow down in the middle of the wreck room while we're watching baseball at night and tell us, like, how to make the double play and what happened on the one time where things went a little awry in the rec room when my dad was teaching us how to make the double play well.
Speaker 1: God bless your mother. First of all, three boys, really four boys when you count her husband, who was a kid at heart up until the day he died. And I want to tell a pop story about how much of a kid he was, even to me when he was well into his eighties. But what had happened was turning the double play, threw a ball right through the glass door. He had one of those paneled glass doors crash. Of course you hear nana, boys, what happened? And Pop goes to you, youngest, little timmy can do no wrong. Hey, take the fall for this and I'll let you off easy. And that's exactly what happened. What did he take you out for ice cream after?
Speaker 2: Tell Mom that you did it, and I'll get you off easy. That's what my father said. Of course, my mother figured all of this out, and she knew her mischievous husband was just kidding around on this anyway. But Jeff, I told you what a good hitter he was. This plaque, which was your brainchild, is in my office, my baseball office, and it lists the ten greatest hitters of all time. And for those who can't read it, these are the ten greatest Babe ruth Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Lou Garrig, Jeff Kirkchin, Joe DiMaggio, Willie Mays, Mickey Mannle, Hank Aaron and Stan Musial. So, according to this plaque, my dad, who played at Watertown High in outside of Boston and would have played at MIT undergrad except for they didn't have a baseball team while he was there. He's one of the five greatest hitters of all time according to a plaque that hangs in my office.
Speaker 1: How about that, Well, it's so funny too, being named after your dad, my grandfather, Jeff Kirkchhin. Now, one day when that gets asked on to me that plaque, my kids are gonna have a lot of questions. And let me just say we've spoken of this. I was a theater kid in high school. I was not a ballplayer. I got the fear of the ball. I didn't grow fast enough and I had to leave baseball in the past, which, by the way, Dad, just on an aside, you did an incredible job raising me and allowing me to go after something that I clearly cared about, which was performing. You did everything right. But I will say going down the music route, taking piano. All of that was because of my grandfather. My grandfather, this great baseball player who loved sports more than anything and loved raising four boys, three boys, excuse me. He always told me do not give up playing the piano, because he always wanted to be able to play the piano and play and sing. He was the guy who stood up at his own birthday party when the power went out and started singing Frank Sinatra just so the party could keep going. That is who I was raised by and keeping with piano lessons. Pop died when I was ten years old. Every time I got discouraged, I thought about Pop telling me, never give up on this, because you'll be grateful. And now, at age thirty two, I can sit down and play a song and sing and entertain people at a bar, or in the basement or wherever. And I'm grateful to Pop for doing that. It's the sign of a great father in you, Dad and letting me pursue a dream of performing, and a great grandfather for doing just the same. I mean. And as a dad, Now, those are lessons I've learned. You have an image of what you think your kids will be. Right. I have this idea that McKinley will be this great dancer and performer and be on the stage just like her dad. But she could be a lefty softball second baseman in a second, you know, one of those slap hitters that gets on base that could change everything. But it's pouring into those kids like you did and like Pop did to me and Kelly. That is so important, and so on Father's Day. I think of you too all the time, and I know you're the most humble man in the world. But you learned how to be a dad from your dad. That's why you're a great dad. And I learned how to be a dad from my dad, and that's why I like to think I'm becoming a great dad. And I want to just give a quick shout out to all of the dads out there who grew up without an example of a father, because your job is incredible and incredibly hard to become something that you never had a good example of. I think my job's easy because I just I'm just sacked as goofy as my dad, and I just get to be like my dad and how I remember him when I was a kid. But to those who didn't have a dad growing up, Hats off to you. To the single moms out there that have to be dad, Hats off to you. To the stepdads who have stepped up, Hats off to you on this Father's Day because all of you have an important role to be played. And a happy Father's Day to all the members of the family out there.
Speaker 3: When my puppy Bella has something wrong, I'm not going to go around googling what to do, Yeah, Kratz, Let's have a better plan. Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program. It offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. Because, let's be honest, vet bills can add up fast. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets, and when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account, so you can get back to focusing on what really matters your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul that's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul. Again, that's ASPCA pet Insurance dot com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independent American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insurance and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 2: It's also the first day of summer today. Another reason to celebrate. Another reason to celebrate is we have Kent Murker on the show, former Major League pitcher. He'll be on on Tuesday. Jeff, how many times do you think you laughed out loud with Kent Murker in the hour and ten minutes we had him on.
Speaker 1: It was so great, Dad, It was so much fun. His stories about the what did we count seventeen Hall of Famers he played with right? Does that sound right?
Speaker 2: Right? Thematic stories, the Chipper Jones stories, the Bobby Cox stories, priceless. And I thought I had heard a lot of stories because I collect stories for a living. He told at least five stories that I hadn't heard before. And that's what really makes it great for me. And last thing, Jeff, Today's Father's Day is also the final round of the US Open, And we're just going to have a little fun with this. We're not here to hurt anyone's feelings. We are just trying to make a point about the different levels of athlete that we meet in sports, and these PGA Tour players are just so unbelievably good, and I'm not sure the average fan truly truly understand. So I'm going to ask you again, Jeff, what does an eighteen handicap shoot on the final day at Shinnecock, the diabolically difficult course where the US Open was held this year. Going into the final round, I think only five players were under par. That's how hard this course is. So the eight Let me describe who I think the eighteen handicap is. He's a guy who plays his little home course and a god love him for going out there. And he's playing fifty nine hundred yards from the white tees and he's raking three footers, taking gimmes. He's not sure the rules of the game. You know, some guys will take a triple maximum that type of thing. So I'm asking you that guy gets dropped into the eight. He gets dropped into the final pairing of the day. He plays with Wyndham Clark and Scotty Scheffler. With the game that he has from his little course, what is he going to shoot on the final day of Shinnakok when it is televised. He's playing with gallery surrounding him, and he's playing with the best player of the world, Scottie Scheffler and Wyndham Clark, And what is that guy gonna shoot?
Speaker 1: He's playing by all and he has.
Speaker 2: Right and the only rule for this day is you have to put out and you have to follow all the rules of golf. There there are marshalls there checking every single move. So what do you think that guy is gonna shoot today? And this is nothing against an eighteen handicap, but.
Speaker 1: Well, I like to think, honest to god, if I were to keep a handicap, which I don't anymore because I got two kids and my life is full of other things. But I like to think today, if I were to keep an honest handicap, I'd be like a twenty.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I always say I'm a bookay, so I always think of it in in me And honestly, I think I think I'm shooting a one eighty. Is that crazy?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I started at one eighty and I am willing to go up on this and I'll never forget to ask.
Speaker 1: I always say, like, there's no cap, we're not doing a double, Like a double par is what I would cap today, right, Like if you are in a ten on a par five, you just write ten, pick it up, let's go. But listen, if you hit two, you're scoring a twenty on a whole. You absolutely are because you're gonna put off the green. You're gonna you're gonna six or seven put some holes because these PGA players put too far and put off the green.
Speaker 2: Think about that, right, And I'm idian that Jeff I said, well, I asked this to former Major League pitcher Ed Farmer, one of my favorite people in the world, the late Ed Farmer, and he was a really good player. I got about halfway through, you know, all the elements of this question. I didn't even get to explain everything. You gotta put out all that. He interrupted me and said, two hundred two hundred is what a eighteen to twenty handicap is going to shoot. And again, with all due respect, just don't tell me that with all that pressure, you're just gonna get up there and hit three seven irons perfectly and get to a park. All right, It's just not happening.
Speaker 1: That's what people say on social media when we've brought something similar up. They're like, I'm going seven iron, seven iron, seven iron, and you know, I'm getting an eight on every hole. And I'm like, if you could do that, why wouldn't you do that in your normal game. You can't clean a seven iron four times in a row on your municipal course. Why how are you doing it every hole under the hole under the pressure of the US and You're I'm shooting.
Speaker 2: One to eighty.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm accidentally hitting a woman with her baby. Right, I'm so shaken. I'm gonna break a club because I'm gonna be hitting off some crazy surface because I'm stuck somewhere. I'm gonna drop. Let's see eighteen holes. I'm dropping on average twice a hole because there's gonna be holes where I can't hit it over a water or I can't you know, people don't realize the difference between a scratch golfer and a PGA player, right right, Think about that, the scratch golfer is the best player you've ever played with, right, and he he's plus twenty on that course? Am I wrong? Here? Is he playing book golf on that course.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna. I'm not getting an I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna I agree with you the different But he's plus nine, plus ten.
Speaker 2: The different levels, right, the different levels, Jeff. And again we're not here to bash an eighteen handicap. We are here to explain how unbelievably good these tour players are. So when I tell you all the time about how great baseball players are, no one would put a ball in play in a hundred swings, you know, against Paul's schemes. It's the same idea about these tour players. They deserve our utmost respect for the work that they do on the golf course. So we'll get into that. We'll have some discussion on that. Just remember, Jeff, when I asked you the other golf question at the Masters. If I gave you a six shot lead at eighteen, if I, as I put it, if I dropped you on the tee with a six shot lead, could you hold it? To which Steve Rushing, the World's Funniest man, said, I thought you were going to say, if I dropped you on the green with a six shot lead, Could you hold it? That's how hard he thought putting at Augusta would be and the pressure that you would be under to try to make I saw a couple guys miss two foot putts this week. Eighteen handicap's going to miss that a bunch of times because their hands are going to be so steady. Okay, enough of golf. I love golf, but it's just another reminder make sure you understand the levels. I'll never forget. When I talked to Chris Mullen, one of the great shooters of all time, we were talking about shooting and what people don't understand. He just looked at me with that beautiful New York accent, Chris Mullen. He goes, Tim, you just got to learn to stay in your lane. Stay in your lane. And I'm just saying the US opened at Shittacock is a lane at an eighteen handy CUK has never been in ever.
Speaker 1: Absolutely All right, Dad, Well, let's stick with what I mean, at least somewhat of what we know, which is baseball. Let's go into our takeaways, sponsored by Simon's Heart and Babe Ruth League, Inc. Who are partnering this spring to protect the hearts and lives of young baseball and softball players everywhere. Dad, what do we have for the takeaways?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, heart is the key word here for the first takeaway, Jeff, I consider doing a whole riff on Father's Day moments because there's so many of them. Ken Griffy Junior and his dad hit back to back homers, not on Father's Day, but that's as good a Father's Day moment as baseball has ever seen. But on June twentieth, twenty ten, Father's Day, John McDonald had made a promise to his dad to always go down on the field, which he did all the time anyway, and greet all the fans who are on the field for Father's Day, just because that's what big leaguers should do, you know, engage with the fans, especially kids on Father's Day. But John McDonald's father had died five days earlier, But in keeping his promise to his dad, he did exactly what his dad had asked him to do. He went down on the field and engaged with fans everywhere. And it's typical. John McDonald one of the best defensive players I've ever seen, as good a guys you'll ever see who played the game. He got one at bat that day, Jeff. He batted in the bottom of the ninth inning, and he hit a two run homer five days after his father died. And that of that's one of three dozen stories we could tell about guys honoring their father on this day, but that one has always kind of stayed with me because John McDonald I think had thirteen career homers at the time. I know he finished his career with twenty eight, and yet as he was honoring his father, he had a two run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning. How great is that? It brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it? It's so perfect done well, it does to me.
Speaker 1: It does to me too, absolutely, it's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's move on. Zach Geloff of the A's going into Sunday, so we're a little outdated here, had hit in twenty three consecutive games, and Jeff, just a reminder how hard that is speaking of the levels, Okay. Ted Williams's longest hitting streak was twenty four games, Babe Bruce's longest hitting streak was twenty six games, and Luke Garrett never hit in twenty consecutive games. Now, of course, the understanding here is those guys walked so many times that it was most unusual for them to get five at bats in a game because they were always getting walked, sometimes two three times a game, So they didn't have They were not exactly the prime candidates to have a long hitting streak. But I just want you to know, twenty three games in a row, no matter where this ends, pretty darn impressive. Agree with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a different game back then, obviously, so when you talk about the reach base safely streaks, you see a little bit more for Ted Williams and Babe Ruth. But is that's so crazy for a guy this day and age to be getting on base twenty three games in a row as of Sunday.
Speaker 2: That's exciting, right, getting a hit twenty three games in a row? Okay? The Marlins in June, going into Sunday thirteen and four in June, Max Meyer is one of their pitchers. He's eight no with a two point eight zero, And our good friend Elliott Johnson, former Major League infielder, told me several years ago, wait do you see Max Meyer? He's got one of the greatest arms I've ever seen on a young pitcher, and all these injuries have kind of piled up. But now Max Meyer is the pitcher that Elliott Johnson told us about, and he is absoluttely dominating right now, as are so many others, especially in the National League. Otto Lopez of the Marlins is hitting three point thirty two. He's leading the major leagues and hitting and Clayton McCollough, the manager, has done a really good job with that team. I know a scout friend went in there, hadn't seen the Marlins in a long time. He called me, he volunteered. He just called me to say, boy, the Marlins are really playing the game the right way, and that manager knows exactly what he's doing. We don't talk much about the Marlins on this podcast, but they deserve some credit, especially with the way they've played in the month of June.
Speaker 3: Krats Mint Mobile plans still just fifteen bucks a month, and.
Speaker 2: You're getting a ton from that fifteen dollars. That's right.
Speaker 3: And we've talked about this for a while. It hasn't changed. It's still all there for you. I'm talking about unlimited talk, text and data, fast, reliable coverage on the nation's largest five G network, oh and in a world winning care team. Mint Mobile has it all for fifteen bucks a month. You can even bring your current phone and your number. Choose from three, six, or twelve month plans. Say goodbye to a monthly bill. Ditch overpriced wireless with mint Mobile. To get your new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month, go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless bill to fifteen bucks a month. At minmobile dot com slash Territory. Forty five dollars upfront payment required equivalent to fifteen bucks a month. New customers on first three month plan only. Speed slower above forty gigabytes on unlimited plan. Additional taxes, fees, and restrictions apply. See mintmobile for details.
Speaker 2: A couple of weeks ago, Jeff by Tony aren't too many right handed hitting outfielders out there? Because it's true, there aren't too many really good right handed hitting outfielders, and not very many of them are gonna be available at the trade deadline. But a guy to keep your eye on is Byron Buxton. Who's had another really good year. I mean, he's a tremendous defensive player, but he's hitting the ball out of the ballpark. He's really strong. I'm not saying the Twins are going to trade him or should trade him. In fact, he came out and said, I'm a twin. I want to stay a twin. But who knows if someone comes over and bowls them over like the Phillies. How do you think the Phillies would look with Byron Buxton added to their outfield. You, being a Phillies fan, you'd be pretty happy about that. Right.
Speaker 1: I called you the other day. It was not family related, and it wasn't technically podcast related. It was simply trade targets for the Phillies related. You remember who I asked Hi about?
Speaker 2: Yes, right, right and everything?
Speaker 1: Okay, I said, Junghu Kim, what does contract look like? Can we get him? That was the only one. Then you said no, no, it's got a big contract. I said, okay, all right, see it? By right, rare you to talk baseball. That's non podcast related. And when we're not talking pot, we're talking family. This was simply fandom question because every once in a while when your dad sim Kirks, and you can ask him these questions, but you didn't have a good answer for me, not your full The answer was probably not.
Speaker 2: Jeff Right, White Sox shortstop Colson Montgomery is off to an amazingly good start in his career. He just hit the five hundred and eighteen at bat mark, which is roughly like a full season. And in that full season, Jeff, even though it's over two years, he's got forty one homers and one hundred RBIs in five hundred and eighteen at bats and he's a shortstop. And last I look, Jeff, the only guys who have more homers than him. This may not be true, still, I think it is since his day that he came to the big leagues last season are Aaron Judge and Shoheo Toni. So you know, this is why the game is in such good hands right now. These young kids come up and they are ready to go. Colson Montgomery is ready to go. I got a kick out of this. The other day, Jeff, I was talking to Bryce Harper about the pitching that we see today, and Bryce Harper told me that Manny Machado got to first base in their game against pottery. This was a couple of weeks ago. But he looks at Manny Machado and he says, he said, boy, we should have taken more advantage of twenty twelve in the major leagues when both of them were just kind of coming along, right, He said, Back then, guys through eighty eight to ninety they throw their curveball at seventy five miles an hour. He looks at me, it laughs, he goes, those days are over. And Manny just shakes his head and goes, those days are over. It's unbelievable. We talk about the stuff all the time, Jet, but that was fourteen years ago, and Bryce Harper is just shaking his head at a curveball at seventy five miles an hour. That never happens. Today, we see a curveball at ninety five miles an hour. We see we see Jacob Mizerowski one hundred and four with the four seams.
Speaker 1: He's he's throwing up right three in a complete game in the ninth.
Speaker 2: In right right, All right. A quick correction here, Jeff, not for anyone in particular, but I saw something the other day about four strikeouts being a golden sombrero. Now, that is not what I grew up understanding that to be okay, three strikeouts in a game is a hat trick, Four is a sombrero. Five is a golden sombrero. So if you strike out five times in a game, as as Kyle Schwarber and others have this year, that is a golden sombrero, not a sombrero. I'm right about that, because I know when I first started covering that came up. And let's see if you can remember, Jeff, I told this story what six strikeouts in a game will be called from now on?
Speaker 1: Well? Is six a horn?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes. I was at the game when Sam Horn of the Orioles struck out six times in one game, and I went to see the eight Great Mike Plan again after the game, and I said, all right, Planny, three is a hat trick, four is sombrero. Five to golden sobrero? What is a six? And without hesitation, it's like he'd already thought it through. He goes six will be forever known as a horn, and if anyone strikes out seven times in a game, it will be called a horn of plenty.
Speaker 1: You know, Dad, I just googled really quick. July seventeenth, nineteen ninety one. So we're coming up on the legendary thirty five year anniversary of the six strikeout Horn.
Speaker 2: Right, Sam Horn, the first position player to strike out six times in a nine inning game. That's pretty amazing. So and last thing, Jeff, I just want to make this clear, and I want to open this up to our best readers, listeners. Whatever. Okay, when a pitcher makes an error, it is counted and the run scored. Let's say it is counted as an unearned and a lot of people object to that. They think if the pitcher makes an error it should be an earned run. I've seen this many many places. I've seen this many places for the last forty five years. Just curious what you think about this, Jeff. If a pitcher makes an error, should it be an earned run or an unearned run?
Speaker 1: If that guy scores easily, it needs to be an earned run. But there's no debate in my mind that that needs to be an earned run, because not that someone could have the wherewithal to think this quickly ahead, but you could make something look like an error to try to make it an unearned run. If you're the pitcher and you know you might not be able to make a play on the ball, right, I don't know. I don't think you have the wherewithal to do that ahead of time. However, my point is you're the one making the mistake. The reason why there's unearned runs is because the left fielder dropped an easy fly ball, and it shouldn't be on the pitcher that he dropped it. But if the pitcher's the one who made the mistake, it's an earned run, right, Okay, Jeff, I think you're I think most people feel the same way that you do.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna give you the rule book definition of this. Okay. Earned runs and unron runs are supposed to gauge the value of a picture. As a pitcher, when he releases the ball, he is no longer technically the pitcher. He is now a fielder. So we should not punish the pitcher for being a bad defensive player because that's he's a fielder now, not a pitcher. Does that make any sense to you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I get it. We need to kind of separate the two statistics, right, there's fielding statistics and then pitching statistics. But to me, pitching has everything to do with playing the field too, but I mean right, all.
Speaker 2: Right, it's an interesting question. It's an interesting question, much like batting around and all that stuff. But boy, that still.
Speaker 1: Rages up up again.
Speaker 2: No, we're not We're not doing that, all right. Those are the takeaways Jeff and uh I have a million more, but for time, let's move on.
Speaker 1: We'll move on from there, and our takeaways today are brought to you by our friends at Simon's Heart. If you're a Babe Ruth League player, coach, or parent, you can win exclusive side merchandise from foul Territory from is this a Great game or what? And other prizes from Simon's Heart. You can visit right now just aball dot org to learn how to enter for a chance to win. Thanks again to our friends at Simon's Heart for being a part of our podcast. All right, dad, let's go into the quirk jins. What do you have for us?
Speaker 2: Well? Saturday, the Phillies game against the Mets was basically an entire quarts in itself. We talked about this a few weeks ago, but the Phillies became the second team ever to have a player hit three home runs in a game and a teammate hit for the cycle in the same game. So Kyle Schwarber had a three homer game, including two home runs in one inning, and Bryce Harper hit for the cycle. And if you remember, Jeff, we just used this a couple of weeks ago, Tony Lazeri of the thirty two Yankees, he hit for the cycle. And remember he hit for the cycle in order, single, double, triple home run and the home run was a Grand Slam. And in the same game, Luke Garrigg hit four home runs, not three like Kyle Schwarber did. So not to diminish what the Phillies did the other night, I mean, that was an amazing night, but hitting for the cycle in order and the home run is a grand Slam, and the other guy h's four homers in a game pretty amazing, Jeff. This is what struck me as odd, well not odd, but this is the fifth three homer game of Kyle Schwarber's career, so he joins a bunch of others, like four other guys. He's no, he's one of six guys who have hit had five games with three home run five three homer games, okay, and three players have six three homer games in their career, Sammy Sosa, Hall of Famer, Johnny Mize, and Mookie Betts. How about that? So the record for three homer games is six. Let's keep it not a slam here. Hank Aaron had one three homer game in his career. Babe Ruth in the regular season had two, but he had two more in the postseason. And let's see if you can remember even one. I've used this stat before, Jeff even one, five hundred home run hit career, who never hit three home runs in a game, And now Kyle Schwarber has done it five times.
Speaker 1: So Hank Aaron had won. I always remember that, right, five hundred homer guy who never hit three homers in again.
Speaker 2: Three in a game. And again we're not being critical. Three homers in a game is a lot, but Kyle Schwarmer's got five of those games.
Speaker 1: I'm Jonah Blaker, help me, all right.
Speaker 2: David Ortiz, Raphael peal Merrow Gary Sheffield all had five hundred career homers and never hit three in a game. Pretty cool, huh?
Speaker 1: That is pretty cool. All guys from like the same era too. That's kind of nuts that would happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of nuts, all right, this is I'm not sure what this means yet, but through seventy eight games entering Sunday, the Orioles had been shut out one time all season, and they had pitched thrown one shutout all year. So I needed to know the last time a team got this deep into a season having only been shut out one time and only threw one shutout. So the answer is the two thousand and five Reds that was twenty one years ago were the last team to go this deep into the season with less than two shutouts four and against. Does that surprise you at all?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really does. It really does, because the shutout number there is I mean, you just see a lot of those. I feel like lately with the pitching game, right.
Speaker 2: Jeff, their teams like the Red Sox and the Giants have been shut out. I know the Giants have been shut out eight times. I think the leading shutout pitching team has nine. The Orioles have one of each. I just found that kind of interesting. And again, this is the game we played today. Spencer Steer of the Reds entering Sunday was in a three for forty five slump. Three for forty five in his last fourteen games and all three were home runs. So last forty five at bats, he only had three hits and they were all homers. Does that not speak to the game that we played today?
Speaker 1: Jeff, Absolutely, We're going yard, dad, and if we don't, we're striking out.
Speaker 2: Well, that's kind of how the game works. So Nick Kurtz of the A's the other day had four strikeouts in a game, which four in a game is what Jeff, we just went over this four is.
Speaker 1: A four is a zombrero.
Speaker 2: Right, So he had four strikeouts in the game, but he got the game winning RBI, the walk off RBI with a bases loaded walk. So seems kind of odd a guy strikes out four times in the game but walks the game off. In this case it was a bases loaded walk. So Alex Kirloff in twenty twenty four for the Twins was the last player to punch out four times in a game but have the walk off RBI. Did you think it would be further back or closer to now?
Speaker 1: I think it'd be further back too, But nothing surprises me anymore. Did you call Frank with that one?
Speaker 2: No, that was in our regular That was in our regular stuff. So in our regular ESPN stuff, So that was good. But I did call Frank for this. This is a little this is very old, but I just finished the story on the hit by pitch rate, which I've told you about. JJ Weatherhold, a young player for the rookie for the Cardinals, got hit five times. I mean got hit in five consecutive games. Hit by a pitch in five consecutive games. So I said to Frank, when you know, when's the last time. So we went back the live ball era in nineteen twenty nine, twenty nineteen twenty on. Carlos Quinton in two thousand and eight is the only other player to get hit by a pitch in five consecutive games.
Speaker 1: Five I mean, I mean that's a rookie where five straight game. That's that's how game respect in the clubhouse, right because any any way to get on base, you're doing it for the team. I so sad this day and age, and I know pitchers are throwing hard, so listen, I was afraid of the ball. So no disrespect to our major league players. But like when it's so hard to get on base and you see guys kind of diving out of the way, wear it let's go. We need base run.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 1: When there's Jacob Misrawski out there, get on base because he's gonna throw it really hard. It only hurt for a minute.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's gonna hurt for longer than that. And you know how much I love playing around with names. I had a little trouble this week. But Zach short Is plays for the Mets, and he was playing shortstop, and Nathaniel Lowe was playing first base for the Reds and Short put down a sacrifice bunt and was thrown out at first base. So we had something resembling a short Low put out at first Low short, short, low reach.
Speaker 1: Well that's what we considered naming the podcast Short and Low.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the good point, Jeff. Hey, So the commissioner, Mike Shure, who's got way more important things to do in his life, send us a send us a text message. What two o'clock in the morning. I know it woke me up at two o'clock in the morning. My thing goes off and I'm thinking, who is texting me at two o'clock in the morning. It was Mike. Sure, So tell everyone what the commissioner of is this a great game? Or what came up with and why it fascinated him so much.
Speaker 1: Well, trust me, I if you had told me five years ago that I would get a late night text message from Mike Shore, I would say you're absolutely nuts. But I mean he did send it a group text to the two of us. It contained a screenshot which is a list of all of the unassisted triple plays, and he writes, going down an unassisted triple play rabbit hole. Now gonna He is West coast, right, So it was one twenty three am, which is about ten twenty pm right his time. How did I never know this? Only fifteen in history and two on back to back days. So think about how long we've been playing baseball. There's fifteen of them and two of them happened back to back days. This is incredible, right, And then you know he decided to go down a rabbit hole more and he's texting us, the commissioner of the Game of the podcast obviously texting us yeah.
Speaker 2: But he's right. So Jimmy Cooney of the Cubs a shortstop unassisted triple play on May thirtieth, nineteen twenty seven, and the next day, Johnny Noon First Basement for the Tigers gets an unassisted triple player Noon. He's the first baseman first and second. Nobody out line drive to him. That's one out tags first because the guy and then he runs and tags the other guy and it's a triple play all by himself. So pretty hard to do that. But that's what Johnny Noon did. That's what Jimmy Cooney did, and they did it on back, back to back days in nineteen twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Pretty neat so beautiful, all right, dad, on this date in baseball history, it's Monday, June the twenty second, What do you have for us?
Speaker 2: All right? So in nineteen sixteen, Babe Ruth, very underrated pitcher in his own day, was one.
Speaker 1: Of the stop there. I thought you were about to say, Babe Ruth, very underrated player back in his day, Right, I would have lost my marvels if that was secure, right.
Speaker 2: All right? Better than Matt Stares, let's just put it that way. Babe Ruth pitched the three hit shutout. Babe Ruth has as many career shutouts, by the way, as Pedro Martinez, who, at least for a brief period five years, is the best pitcher I've ever seen for a five year period. So Babe Ruth pitched a three hit shutout that day and the game lasted one hour and eighteen minutes. That's how the game was played back then. Babe Ruth just got it and threw it. And on the same day, Jeff, fourteen years later, Babe Ruth hit hit It completed a two game stretch where he hit five homers in two games, six homers in three games, which tied a major league record for that many homers in so few games. So it just shows you, Babe Ruth has pitching records and home run records and hitting records, which is why he's the greatest player of all time for me still and people yell at me for that, but it's my list, so that's where I'm going. And he's the best hitter on this list. Jeff Kirchen's the fifth best hitter there. You go, very good, okay. On this date in nineteen fifty one, I love this. Willie Mays hit his first extra inning home run of his career. Now, Jeff, and putting you on the spot, you might look really bad about this, but Willie Mays hit the most extra inning homers in his career on this date in nineteen fifty one he hit his first How many extra inning home runs did Willie Mays hit? Just take a guess, I would say, maybe this is really hard. I don't I didn't want to most ambush you with home runs.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say five? Am I way up here?
Speaker 2: He? Yes, he had twenty two extra inning home runs. How about that? I believe, if I remember correctly, Charlie Maxwell hit five extra inning home runs in one season. Oh that's pretty good. I think that's the record. I'm doing that off memory. Don't yell at me if I've got that wrong. All right. On this date in nineteen ninety, Bobby Cox took over for Russ Nixon as the manager of the Braves. Bobby was the general manager of the Braves, and then he took over, and of course history followed, because the Braves went to the World Series the next year and went on to win fourteen division titles in a row. And I say that again because Kent Merker, former Braves pitcher and former pitcher from ten other eight other teams. He's our guest. He tells some fascinating, hilarious, great Bobby Cox stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we love I said it on the interview and you'll get to hear it tomorrow. I don't think anything brightens our day more than Bobby Cox's stories, and we re explore the stories that Jeff Frank core Frenchie told us on the podcast back in season one. You absolutely cannot miss. So make sure you subscribe and follow wherever you're listening or watching right now so you don't miss that. Share the podcast with a friend. Kent Murker, incredible storyteller, Love love loved having him on and can't wait for you to all hear it tomorrow.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be great, right, Okay. In nineteen seventy eight, Willie Harris was born, and in nineteen eighty two, Ian Kinsler was born. So these are two major league second basemen born on the same day in nineteen seventy eight, and they hit a home run in the same game on their birthday, their shared birthday. It's the only time in Major league history that two guys on their shared birthday each hit a home run in that game. I told you. Ian Kinsler came up to me the next day and he said, I know something that you don't know. You'll never know this, And he told me that and I checked it out. He was right. I don't know how he knew that. But in that grade, the two starting second basement, one for the Rangers and one for the Nationals. And it doesn't matter who the teams were, they the two starting second basement, on their shared birthday, each hit a home run. So that was this date in baseball history.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, the wheel? Wheel up off, Kurtain. Are you ready to spin?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's spin the wheel.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go. We put your suggestions great game or what dot com? You can make your suggestion right there. We love Kirkchon. Now a Monday specialty. Here we go. I'm gonna give it a spin. Dad has to riff off whatever h pick off moves? Pickoff moves? Dad, is that we landed on?
Speaker 2: Oh boy? Yeah? Someone mentioned like, who's got the best pickoff move? That's a really good question. Kenny Rogers had a great pickoff move. There are a bunch of guys who had great pickoff moves. There was a guy named Paul Doyle. I think I've got this right, and in the minor leagues he picked off like thirty six guys in one season, thirty six guys off of first base. But the only pickoff story that I really know that is worth telling is that Tippy Martinez in nineteen eighty three picked off three batters in the ninth I mean three runners in the ninth inning. Now, remember Tippy Martinez is trying to save a game or keep the game tied. But because Joe Altabelli, the manager of the Orioles, had used up the entire bench, he had to pick. He had to use len Saccata, who was the second baseman, as his catcher because he ran out of catchers and Lenzcatta had never caught before in a major league game. So the three it was like Barry Bunell, Dave Collins, Willie Upshaw. I think it was in that order. First guy gets on, he goes, well, I'm gonna go steal. They've got a second base, don't plate pick. Tippy picked off the first guy, and then Barry Bunnell came up next and gets on base, and Tippy picked him off. And then the first base coach told Willy Upshaw, the third guy to get on first, whatever you do, just stand here and don't move, and Tippy threw over and picked off Willie Upshaw. Also, as far as I know, it's the only time in Major League history that one pitcher has picked off three runners in one inning, which is just amazing. And the great Mike Flannagan, who I will quote again, once told me. He said, he said, Tippy had the worst pickoff move of any left handed pitcher I've ever seen. And he said, I bet he picked off a handful of guys in his career other than those three games, but in those three and years later, Jeff I did kind of a you know, a remembrance of that, and I said, Tippy, like, do people still remember that? And Tippy Martin is one of the best guys you'll ever meet. Looks at me and he goes, Tim, I'm not kidding you. Not a day goes by in my life, and Tippy's in his sixties. Not a day goes by in my life where people don't look at me and say, hey, you're the guy who picked off three guys one innte Tippy Martinez, how about that.
Speaker 1: Might have had a bad pickoff move, But you know Tippy was always tipping pitches too.
Speaker 2: You say, all right, well he wasn't tipping to throw over the first that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Sure, Yeah, all right. At least in that game. Okay, next one, here we go golf slash baseball. As if we didn't get enough of.
Speaker 4: That today in the start of the show, right well, and Kent Mrker on our episode tomorrow is going to talk a lot about golf and Maddox and Glavin and Smoltz and everything else.
Speaker 2: And it's it's just priceless, priceless stuff. And I have a story where I played in a charity golf tournament, the Davy Johnson Charity Golf Tournament. This was probably twelve years ago or so, and Justin Verlander was in the group behind us. Okay, and I asked him at the turn. We're playing a scramble. I asked him at the turn, how are you guys doing? He said, we're ten under Birdie. So you've played scrambles before, Jeff, And he I said, what does that mean? He goes, well, when you're in a scramble, you can't get you can't calculate under par because it's a given you have to be under par on every hole. The question is how many eagles are you gonna make? So they were ten under after nine and they finished twenty two under par. So they made all birdies and four eagles. Now, all four guys were really good, and Verlander of course was the best of the group because he's a great player and absolutely is competitive, like this was the biggest deal in the world for him that day. We're gonna win this tournament and I'm gonna win the long drive contest, which of course he did. Jeff, We're in the group in front of him, and twice he hit into our group while we were putting on the green and it was a par four. Twice he drove a par four and I look back at him each time, and Justin Verlander, who had just won the MVP of the American League and the cy Young is like raising his hands above his head, look what I just did, because he knew he had probably won the long drive. That's just how competitive he is. How competitive all those guys are. And Kent Murker will explain the pairings and the golfers on the braves during their glory years.
Speaker 1: All right, last one for the Wheel of Kirchhin. Here we go giving it a spin no hit jinks, which is also really good for Kent Murker. Our guest tomorrow who threw a no hitter and was involved in a joint no hitter, correct.
Speaker 2: A combined no hitter. Yeah, only only three pictures. I believe four pictures have ever been involved in a no hitter and a combined no hitter. Kevin Millwood, Kent Murker, Vita Blue, and Mike Witt. Those guys were all all through a no hitter and were involved in a combined no hitter. Yes, so, Jeff, I'm not sure I haven't no hit jinks. But we were told a great story by Steve Sparks a few years ago. I'm going to be serious about this. Yeah, when you're a broadcaster, and I'm not telling any broadcaster, especially play by play guy, how to do his job. But when you're when you're doing a game, I think it is your responsibility to tell everyone who's listening on the radio what's going on in the game. And there is no such thing as jinxing a guy's no hitter. Do you have? XM radio is the greatest invention in the world as far as I'm concerned. I drive all over the all over the country in my car, and the best part about it is I can get crystal clear baseball games whenever I want. If I tune in and a guy's got a no hitter going in the seventh inning and the broadcasters don't mention it after the inning. Sorry, I don't think they're doing their job. Am I being unfair about this?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I definitely think you owe the audience because I'm not looking at a box score, right, especially even even on TV, I'm just seeing runs, right in ninety nine percent of the time, I'm not even seeing hits. Right, you're not really following each player, oh for two, oh for three, whatever it might be. Yeah, you owe it. I don't think there's a jinx there at all, right.
Speaker 2: Right, you are the eyes and the ears of the listener, especially on the radio, and you have to tell him what's going on in the game. If there's a no hitter going on in the game, you have to say, Mike Witt is through seven innings, he's got a perfect game here. If that's the case, and I'm driving around, I am going to stay on that game because I want to hear the end of that no hitter or perfect game. I'm right about this, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Dad, You're absolutely right. That's our wheel of kirkshin. If you want to add to it, all you got to do is hit us up great game or what dot com? Scroll down you'll see a thing that says talk to Jeff and Tim directly. By that, I mean Tim directly because I haven't responded to a message in months, because that loves it and I love I don't play.
Speaker 2: If people are going to take time to write to us, then I'm going to show the respect and right back because we get some really really fun stuff, and we got something this week. Jeff, I'll tell you about the Team Tim. Todd Addington wrote to me late last night. You got to do the All father Son team for Team Tim today. Now, Jeff, as you know, I've done the All father Son team the last two years, so I decided to take a detour and try something else because I've already done it two years in a row, the All father Son team, as Todd mentioned, you know, the Griffy's, the Bonds, the Boons, the Bells, the Bearras, all this stuff. So I decided to go another direction since we've already done that before, even though Todd came up with a great list, so I did. Since this is the first day of summer, I did the All Summer team for Team Tim. Is that a good idea or bad idea. Yeah, okay, we are going to start with our catcher, Steve Lake. Sometimes you go to the lake for the summer, all right. Our first baseman is Razor Shines, one of my favorite names of all time, and years ago the Mets. I hope I got this right. Yes, the Mets hired Razor Shines to be their third base coach. And Razor Shines batted like seventy five times in his major league career and never scored a run, and yet he was hired to be the third base coach whose job it is to send guys home so they can score a run. Razor Shines is our first baseman. Jackson Holiday is our second baseman. O'Neil Cruz used to be a shortstop is our shortstop because people go on a cruise during the summer. I was going to use nap leisurewe again, but he's really a second basement on a third baseman, So I went with nap Reyis because summertime is a good time to take a nap. Jeff, how much do you need a nap right now? And I could ask you this at any point, to do this, Okay. The outfield is Champ summers. He's the perfect guy for our all Summer team. Jerry Sands is one outfielder, Drew Waters is another outfielder, and our pitching staff. I'm just gonna limit it to six. Could have gone more. Matt Beach, Sun Wu, Kim Bobby c doc Ellis chan Ho Park and of course we end with Sandy Kofax.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 2: How about that? Jack. So that's that's the All Summer team. With all due respect to our fathers and sons. We talked about them a lot. I've done that list a couple of times. This was the All Summer team because today is the first day of summer. As we tape right, excellent.
Speaker 1: That a great team him kicking off the summer. It's baseball season in June and to July. This is my favorite time. Oh just makes me happy.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: I'm glad it could be on with you for an hour for Father's Day. So special and well. I love you. I hope you have a great rest of your father's Dad. I wish we were together.
Speaker 2: Well, I love you too, Jeff, Go take a nap like nap rays. Okay, that's the plan.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening and watching, and as always, thanks for being a part of our family.