Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that. It's time for the Break.
Speaker 1: On Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were on Break with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: It is Thursday, December twelfth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number eighty four. Welcome to latest edition of The Break. We are live from that WBC Mortgage studios at thus are presented by LGLG as the world's number one O the TV brand for eleven years and counting. See why at LG dot Com, Fort slash O, led Evo.
Speaker 2: How is everybody doing.
Speaker 6: A episode eighty fix? Have we done eighty four shows?
Speaker 2: Yes? This year?
Speaker 6: This season?
Speaker 2: This season.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We usually get into the one twenti ist range by the time it's all said and done. Now this year may be a little less because we won't have the full week of shows in January.
Speaker 6: What why is it draft shows?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well I'll set with more draft shows.
Speaker 5: Yeah it works, but but no, we we We definitely are moving in that way because it also, like you gotta remember, it goes to the league here, so it'll go into March before we will flip to the next season of shows.
Speaker 2: So so yeah, we'll get we get close to it.
Speaker 3: Got this figured out, he does.
Speaker 2: I'll be doing it a while. Man, it's the season twenty. We've been doing this for a long time, you know.
Speaker 3: Season twenty.
Speaker 2: Got to say happy birthday to my guy Brian brought us.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, appreciate that. Guys, thank you very kind, thank you very kind. Thank you you were this past weekend though too right, Happy birthday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we didn't get to say that on air because he was We didn't do a show obviously on Sunday when it was your birthday.
Speaker 2: But happy belated birthday, missus Garcia and.
Speaker 7: Then seem to be yours.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah later this summer is Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 3: We had it right after it.
Speaker 6: We all was your January fifth, you're not part of the.
Speaker 5: It has to be well, maybe it was yesterday, David Helman is Saturday.
Speaker 3: Saturday. We had to run there, remember that. I always remember Derek like taking everybody to lunch and they'll go any like happy birthday.
Speaker 2: I'm too big for that. Man, I can't afflct.
Speaker 9: I know.
Speaker 3: It's it's funny how that it seems like it grows and grows, and.
Speaker 2: My wife's like, save your money for that college student. We have money.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I saw some clips about that Columbia.
Speaker 5: Let's just yeah, as as Brian says, I'll give my cash yapp.
Speaker 2: Feel free to send me if you want to.
Speaker 3: Why. It's why we all have like eight jobs right now, just every one of our podcasts. Please watch.
Speaker 5: I think about kids, and they get more expensive every year from the time they're.
Speaker 2: Born all the way till noted.
Speaker 3: Yeah about that. It's funny, though, what do.
Speaker 8: You think I haven't gotten pregnant again. Yeah, I'm just looking at the numbers. I'm like, because if you do something for one, you gotta do it for both.
Speaker 6: You know you're pregnant.
Speaker 7: What I said, that's why IV.
Speaker 6: What how much this figure?
Speaker 2: Breaking news here on the break listening, He'd be like, what.
Speaker 3: It's so funny how they figure out how to like go have dinner on you now, and then they'll be standing in line to pay the bill and they're like, hey, dad, can you send money? For me to they've already eaten. They've already like, I mean, what are you going ready to go? And goes no, we're getting ready to pay. Can you please help me save me some money? That technology has ruined me in that way.
Speaker 2: Literally money You got to send money?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could just hit a button and send money. And it's crazy. But he's figured out how to wait till he gets in line, the smart man to pay. It's like, hey, Dad, I sure the bill is And then I'm like, okay.
Speaker 9: It's that intelligence. I got him to Texas.
Speaker 3: Smart guy. All right, let's jump in.
Speaker 2: We got a lot to talk about today.
Speaker 5: We we're going to get into some injury dates, particularly on Cooper Bebe. We'll talk about about where he is, and then we're gonna talk a little bit about special teams. Yesterday, Mani Ouarrier had his first session with the media following the botched punt from last game and some interesting thoughts there. And then we're gonna talk about the Carolina defense and how it matches up with this Cowboys offense again. This unit, as we talked about yesterday, the offense has some interesting things. This unit, Oh my gosh, like that all the numbers say that you should be able to do a lot of good things against them. But we'll talk about that and dive into some of the players that you should be aware of. Let's start first, though, with Cooper Beby. He mispracticed yesterday with a concussion. Obviously, with a concussion, it's probably not likely in a short week.
Speaker 2: That he plays, I would guess.
Speaker 5: But I want to focus a little more on another like an offshoot of that, which is brock Hoffman, who has played, who played center and replacement and replacement of BB this last game. My question for you guys is do you think at this point, from what you've seen this season, because he's had a pretty good amount of playing time, you think he's a better center or a better guard.
Speaker 6: That's a tough one. I think.
Speaker 9: I think it's kind of the same. I don't necessarily see a major difference unless you do.
Speaker 3: Brian. Now, you know what's funny was were you surprised how quickly that competition ended?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: At training camp?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: Did it end quick?
Speaker 8: Though?
Speaker 9: I felt like we were like two or three weeks in a camp and we're like, Yo, Hoffman might win this thing, And I just kind of flipped around.
Speaker 3: I kind of felt like I felt like that there was maybe like two weeks and then we were getting into it and it was like, but I was I'm not gonna lie to you. I was on board because I wanted to see BB play center. Yeah, I misevaluated Hoffman. I thought Hoffman for one or two games get you through. I got to the point where I've started to ask questions on these podcasts I'm on about do you feel like I think I asked you guys this question. Does does does Hoffman and and say Basses play make you not want to think about a guard early in this draft? You know? Yes, for example, you'll know the name Banks, Texas tackle who a lot of people, and he won the Lombardi Award last night. But you know, we've talked about Banks being potentially a guard. I don't know, you might think he's a tackle. But does it do you feel like that if you're picking at eleven or twelve, that you would take a guard there? Or does BB or excuse me, has Hoffman made you feel like that you're you don't need to draft that guy there at that spot, that you could draft something else? But I kind of felt like though maybe maybe I'm wrong about that, but I kind of felt like the BB thing. I thought, all of a sudden, it was like Hoffman was out.
Speaker 9: I just remember Bebe couldn't snap the ball for like two and a half weeks, and it was like, Okay, I think Hoffman might win this thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, and we were talking about some of those problems.
Speaker 9: And then all of a sudden Bebe learned how to snap the ball and he was the center. Yeah, you know, it happened very It did happen quick.
Speaker 3: That's that's that. No, No, that's you. That's fair.
Speaker 5: It could have been perception, but it did. It felt like to me it was kind of a shell game from the beginning, like oh, Hoffman's gonna he's the starter entering camp. But it was just kind of like it was always gonna be Bb. That's how it felt. And maybe that's why I didn't. I didn't see what you think of it from the way you you thought of it. I just always thought, eventually Bbe's gonna be the guy.
Speaker 3: I kind of feel like that if Zach Martin was not playing right guard this year, say Zach Martin would have retired last year, I think you would have seen Haffman at center and BB at right guard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's where actually, that's where I was going with the question is if if you think Hoffman is as good a center as he is a guard, is BB then a better guard than he is a center, in which case maybe they flip if you if you go into next year, or even as if BB comes back this year. I don't know if they'd make that change just like the year. But at some point do you see that kind of flip where Bbe now moves out to guard.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you this.
Speaker 9: I've started getting active in my in my draft group chats again over the course of the last month, and as we take you this long yeahs, as we kind of just bs and everything, especially talking about last year's class, there are a lot of people that are like, so, why are the Cowboys playing Cooper b B at center? He's like, yeah, it's working out, but why is he not playing at guard?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 9: Hey, And so it always kind of makes me think, in the back of my mind, maybe he would be a better guard.
Speaker 6: But we can only see what we've seen.
Speaker 9: When I saw at Kansas State was a guy that was absolutely nasty at guard, and I've seen a guy at center who's been consistent for a rookie. He's been consistent. Is he still learning the position? I think so absolutely, But he's been consistent, So I don't know. I would like to see both.
Speaker 3: Why if Phoebe was healthy, why would I want to see? I mean, and I'm saying this, I'm asking, okay, a doga. I see that's Steel's played well enough. But there's a side of me that kind of wants to see guide and play right tackle me too, but also put BB at right guard and put Howp in it center.
Speaker 6: Just be cooking just to see, just for like three on this.
Speaker 3: Site, three games. But I but I'm not I'll tell you what. I don't want to do anything with Steel right now because I feel like Steele is playing pretty well for you. I mean, he's it's it's there was some times where you know him and Martin it was a struggle over there. But I want to see. I wonder if you would see if you did, because I don't want to sit there and say, okay, now Steel, go play left, go play left tackle and then we'll see how this works. But there's I would not be opposed to like seeing that combination with Hoffman at center, b B at guard and guiding it right right tackle.
Speaker 9: I think this team is one more loss away from starting a toy with those kinds of things. And Steven Jones said yesterday he was asked, Okay, hey, when do you start thinking about personnel changes, you know, just to see what you got. He's like, right now, we're playing to win. When that changes, you'll notice it, and so he left the door open for that.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess that might.
Speaker 6: Be one loss away from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Brian, I look at that.
Speaker 5: And going back to your question about what you thought about the no, but think about what you were talking about a guard.
Speaker 2: I don't think i've seen anything.
Speaker 5: I have seen things that make me question whether I would draft a guard early. I have not seen anything that makes me say I wouldn't draft a tackle early. So going back to let's say Banks, if you think he's going to be a guard, I won't.
Speaker 2: I don't necessarily think i'd take a first round pick on him.
Speaker 5: If I have a bona fide tackle that I feel really good about and I'm up at eleven twelve and that guy's there throwing the guard up there.
Speaker 3: This is I don't know yeah, and I like, I don't know how you feel about this. I kind of feel like that maybe Banks would be this this tackle group. When you watch him and when we talk about him, it's not going to have the same tone that we had last year about this group. I think there's a lot more questions about this group playing. And I think one of the best ones, the Simmons from Ohio State who has a knee injury, I think he's going to be I think he would have been one of the best. Well, I think he'd have been maybe number one on this on the in my opinion on this board for tackle. But I think I'm I'm I don't know, because I'm trying to feel like, did Hoffman do enough at right guard to make me not want to take to draft? And you might think Banks is a tackle only I don't know that.
Speaker 6: No, No, I think you could play either.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think that's so.
Speaker 3: See that's what I'm saying. I mean, do you you know there's a couple of positions now where I'm like, Okay, well, maybe I've seen enough. I mean, running back might be another one too, where you've seen enough with Rico Daddle this you're like, Okay, maybe I don't have to eleven or twelve maybef Genti's there the running back from Boising. Maybe I don't have to do that because of Daddle the way he's playing.
Speaker 8: This conversation is making me feel so uneasy because the fact that you guys are starting to get comfortable with some of the guys on the offensive line, like, it just makes me because of the trauma I carry. And it's been so long, because if you think about it, I mean from the time I started, which was right before the beginning of the career of Dak where you had a pretty solid line. Zach Martin he's like the last piece of that line that was here initially. So it's crazy and to me, and this is just the course of the NFL and what happens, you know, players retire or they leave or move on or whatever. But to think now that you're gonna have to find that confidence in five guys that you can fully trust and move on from the well, what about injuries because recently, in the last few years, it's always somebody dealing with some kind of injury and going back to the draft and having to rely, you know, rely on drafting, and they've hit the nail or what is it, the nail on the head when it comes to drafting offensive players early on in the draft. But it's just hearing all of this, I'm just like, man, this is pretty wild. And also when you talk about the different combinations, it makes me think, when would.
Speaker 7: They actually do that?
Speaker 8: Aside from these last few games where they could maybe if they're after that percentage of chance that you have left for the playoffs, after that's out of the question, these different combinations, when do you expect the Cowboys to actually see that? Because sometimes even at training can when you talk about these different guys, I feel like, okay, that's the right time to maybe test different things. But you don't tend to see them shuffle people around that much unless someone gets hurt and you just are forced to. So I don't know, this interesting conversation when it comes to all these different players.
Speaker 3: Would you take an offense or defensive player if you're picking in the top five offense, how about you, Derek?
Speaker 2: Honestly, it depends on the play. I don't know.
Speaker 5: If I could say, I'll tell you this it would be a tackle, an offensive tackle, a defensive tackle or defensive end. Probably, yeah, think or maybe I wouldn't take a line back of that. One of those three is probably what I would take.
Speaker 6: My answers, yes, my answers, yes, Yeah, I would think.
Speaker 9: I don't think they're in a position right now to not take the best player available.
Speaker 3: See, yeah, I kind of agree. It's kind of where that's kind of where I hope this thing goes. Yeah, I hope it's I hope it's if you if somehow and you know you're going to really have to It's possible, though. I mean, you just don't know how these games are going to play out now. But if you somehow are picking in the top eight, you know, where would you you would? I think you want to just take the best player there.
Speaker 5: But there are some positions that are off limits, right, like quarterback limits, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just saying like, there are some positions that.
Speaker 3: Off be honest with you.
Speaker 7: After after that contract call, I.
Speaker 6: Was like, the your girls, Like, I mean there, but that's the thing.
Speaker 5: There is a conversation to be had just from a standpoint, and it's not about Dak as much as it is when's the next time you think you're going to be in a position to be able to draft a quarterback high.
Speaker 3: I don't know, so do.
Speaker 5: You take one like Atlanta did to protect myself for the future.
Speaker 6: You know, why are we smoking here now?
Speaker 7: Because this conversation it just took a whole different Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well the thing about it is, I mean, as a fan, I kind of and I kind of knew this going on. You know, Steven Jones kind of talked about the plan for twenty twenty five, right, didn't he yesterday a little bit about like, you know, hey, we're up against it. Don't expect you know, Okay, We'll get ready for the second purge of players that you found. Get ready for Jordan Louis to be gone. Get ready for oh so Diggy'szua to be gone. Get ready for all that depth that you know that was playing games for you this year to be gone. You know. Now we're I mean, do you feel you feel like, okay, if we're going to have another year of what we just had in twenty twenty four, you know, and not replace anybody except through the draft and college free agency.
Speaker 2: I mean, you need guys to play immediately in the draft.
Speaker 3: See That's what I'm saying. Though you might you might have you might be back to talking about picking a quarterback in the top eight again the next year. Yeah, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I made a dash over to the league meetings yesterday where we talked to Stephen Jones, and while we were kind of waiting on everything I had, I'd met a personnel executive in the AFC and we were just kind of talking draft and everything.
Speaker 6: He expects the Cowways take Genty.
Speaker 9: He expects there to be a running back, just because he was like, they have offensive line, they have defensive line, they have corners, they have they have a linebackers. He's like they are in a position where they are one playmaker away to be able to make some things happen.
Speaker 6: He's like, genty makes the most sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's before that's before you think about the free agency they may lose this year. Yeah, Like I think, before you think that, you might be able to say some of those areas you have something some players.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I would be totally elated if they take that kid. Yeah, no doubt I would be elated. And you know he he does. He makes a lot of sense. But I also think about too that because to me, I'm trying to not in the first round. I am trying to get the safest player on that board. I'm trying to get the safest the guy that has the least amount of holes that I know can help me in play. And it might only be for five years with that guy, you know. But if I'm the general manager, I'm thinking, well, I might only have two years with this job. If you know any you know here, it's a little bit different. But I'm kind of thinking of like, Okay, if I could go and get the player that has the least amount of holes, everything about him is clean. Hell all that stuff. Now, people argue about the number of carries. They will argue with you about the number of carries. They'll say, man, this guy carries the ball. Tiz's argument to be had there, Yeah, yeah, and that's and that's that's where you're at. But as far as some of the as far as the best players in the country, that kid's one up there, kids, one of them. He really is.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take our first break. We'll come back.
Speaker 5: Let's jump into this Carolina defense versus the Cowboys Offense'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 11: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew.
Speaker 10: At and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure five G.
Speaker 12: Requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for dyals.
Speaker 13: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 3: The Jack Black Playmaker is four of.
Speaker 13: Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash cow with the code Cowboys VIP, don't put off getting your oil change Dallas Take five oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think.
Speaker 14: They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take fives. Stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 15: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stay in tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star and Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot.
Speaker 6: Of the Dallas Cowboy and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 3: Hey y'all.
Speaker 16: Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetie dot com. Check it out today. Yeti Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Back to the break, lgoledevo is the best TV in the game, but don't take her work for it. Digital Trends said that LGOLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See for yourself at LG dot com slash O Ledevo.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to second segment of the Break. Laugh in the s WBC mortgage studios at the start of the segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, let's talk about the Carolina def Check this out. They are thirty second in points against, They are thirty first in total defense. They are thirty second in rush defense. They've allowed two hundred yards rushing four times this season. Check out their last five games at Philadelphia two hundred nine yards versus Tampa Bay two hundred thirty six yards, versus Kansas City one hundred and sixty five yards, versus New York Giants one hundred and sixty seven yards versus New Orleans one hundred and ninety seven yards. Like, they are not just giving up yards, They're giving up a ton of rushing yards. You think you've seen bad run defense at times around here this year, they are making like they are saying, hold my beer, and they are really, really, really giving up a lot in the running game. My question is what makes the most vulnerable against the run.
Speaker 9: It just feels like guys have open holes. I mean, this defensive line is not impressive. I do like one of their interior guys from a pass rush perspective, but from a run defense perspective, I mean, these guys they don't move bodies, they don't they don't fill these gaps. Uh, there's just a lot of holes for these these running backs. You see it with Kansas City. You know they weren't even really fully healthy. But checko was just trying to you know, find his footing again. And then with the Giants as well. You know, they've had issues. I like Tyrone Tracy, but they've had.
Speaker 2: Issues the Giants.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's it's it's bad. I think it starts up front with this line. I think this line is really weak. Even once you Davian Clown, he's been in the mix, it hasn't been great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they miss Frankie Luvu who's now playing at the Commanders. And Frankie was pretty good at playing the run. We saw that with their own eyes when he was you know, with the with the Commanders earlier in the year. And uh, they just they really have a problem with explosive plays to explosive runs. You know. It's and they and they face a ton of carries, as you mentioned, they give up a ton of yards. They're not really good at playing on your side of the line of scrimmage, you know, contacts, all that stuff is usually on their side of the line of scrimmage. They we always like to talk about the metrics of how many guys you're going to play down and here they are getting killed in the run game and they still play six men in the box you know, they think they can handle that and it's just not working for him. They play you know, they play light that way, and it's funny when you start to compare them with the Cowboys, you know, with the you know, Dallas was so bad for so many weeks and you know, trying to kind of dig out of that hole. But it just it doesn't matter whether it's run or pass. With this group, you know, they give up. They give up almost six yards of play, you know, and Dallas was Dallas is right there with him and the number of you know, the number of opportunities that teams have against him. But I kind of feel like though that it is about the front. They just don't have anything. They don't have any way to control the run, and teams know that and they just they load up and they and they go at them with it. And you kind of felt like that maybe that they would be a little bit better. But I think missing the linebacker Frankie Luvu, I think that really is as hurt them with this. With their run defense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you look at their pass defense, there are some numbers that are equally as bad.
Speaker 2: They're about twenty eighth in sacks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thirty second in pressure percentage and in quarterback hits. Yeah, it just doesn't seem like they generate much pressure. If there is a guy though that you should be concerned about, who would that guy be in the front from a pass rush.
Speaker 6: Stand from pass rush. Ashawn Robinson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Robinson's played really love for him. Yeah, and I'll tell you another thing though, they've actually if you look at the metrics too, on Clowney. On Clowney has been when he's been on the field and off the field, the number of pressures that they've had. But Robinson has played really really well for them. That was that was a good get for them. You know, he's he's the one guy. He's number ninety four for them playing on the left end and and he's he's he's the one guy you kind of have some familiarity because he was with the Giants and so he was part of that that line and really kind of was it wasn't had flashes of play, but here he's a little bit I think he's been a little bit more consistent with the way he's played.
Speaker 8: Well, McCarthy will be able to just do hither and there's so little room for mistake on this one. Whether he decides to throw some passing plays or run the ball, you can go either way.
Speaker 3: This just looking at and I know you watched the secondary here too. You know, Joe Horn was a name that was thrown around here a lot during that period when they when they took Micah Parsons, and you know that it was Sir Tan and it was Horn. And Mike McCarthy had coached jac Horn's dad, Joe Horn, at New Orleans, so it was kind of like they was lining up that maybe the coaches were lining up for Horn and the scouts were looking at Sir Tan, and they've they've gone after Now you talk about the lack of pass rush, opponents have had a lot of time to throw the football against these guys too. They don't get pressure at all or quick enough put it that way, So that's a problem for their secondary. I will say this about Horn. Mike Jackson's on one side and he gets attacked a lot in this They got him in a trade from Seattle. The teams go after him Horn, They'll go after him. He's given up seven touchdowns this year, but his completion percentage is pretty good against I mean against he plays. It's not an easy throw against him, He's going to battle you back there. So I kind of feel like that Jackson is the guy to go after. They play with a lot of cushion. Did you notice that about this this team? How how they play? Like? I was curious because of watching the tape and I'm going, God, they're playing off so much off coverage. How they're doing this? Went back and I checked they play on an average of like seven point two yards of cushion on the outside. And I'm sitting here thinking, no wonder, you're getting crushed on, you know, No wonder, you can't stopped. You have no pass rush and you're playing cushion, you know.
Speaker 6: And I think maybe that's a reaction to no pass rush.
Speaker 3: They they maybe they're trying to keep everything in front of them. Maybe they're not trying to give up the big plays. But I was surprised, especially with Horn, you know, he's kind of a man man player, get up on you, kind of disrupt you, kind of. But when you're telling me they're playing set and that I think that was I think that's third or fourth most in the league. When you start to talk about that, so that that you know, amber you're kind of making fun of Oh, Mike can kind of do you know. Mike might look at that and say, well, geez, we could throw. We could throw on these guys who we could protect, and then we could make and we could throw with that cushion. We can run our we can run our inside game, or we can run our slants. We can run our you know, and if they're not going to press us, then that that plays. That's good for the Cowboys, because the Cowboys have struggled getting off the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 5: So here's the millionaire question. You look at this defense and statistically they're the worst in the league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in a lot of ways.
Speaker 5: How the heck are they playing all these teams so close? They've had a lot of games that they've lost that have been really close games to get some really good teams. Why team's not running through them and putting up thirty forty points every week?
Speaker 2: If this defense is so statistically bad.
Speaker 9: Ye know, how like sometimes offense is the best defense, and I think this offense is just playing a lot better. Yeah, maintaining time in possession a little bit more as the games have gone by. That's at least what I noticed from the Chiefs game, because I looked at that one specifically, like how did they have a chance. It's crazy, but I just see time of possession as a factor.
Speaker 3: In that one. It's Hubbard, it's running the football. It's that ability. Yeah, the quarterbacks not efing it up, throwing interceptions. He's the last five games is three touchdowns interception before that, I mean he thrown he thrown seven for the year, six of them before the time he got betched. He's protecting the football. They're running the ball with Chuba Hubbard. Their offensive line, like we talked about yesterday, is not spectacular, but they're getting it. They're and it does fishing. Yeah. So I it's it is a mystery to me why that teams, but they're on par They're on par with the Cowboy and the Cowboys started so badly. They so badly. I mean, just to give you an example of things, like I was looking at this, we were talking about blitz numbers and stuff. Dallas and Carolina have blitzed roughly the same amount on defense splitz people. Dallas has got. Dallas has got, like I think I wrote, I wrote it down in my notes here, but I was just because I was looking at Dallas has how many more pressures than than they have eleven more sacks than what Carolina has with the same amount of blitz pressure. Okay, yeah, Dallas. Carolina splitzed one hundred and forty nine times. Dallas has blitzed. Excuse me, Dallas splits one hundred and forty nine times Caroline hundred and forty seven. Dallas has fifty two more pressures off those blitzes and eleven more sacks, wow, than what Carolina has. But that's so even.
Speaker 2: When they're blistening it just they're getting no pressure.
Speaker 3: And another thing is, you want to talk about problems that teams have, they get down in the red zone. And I always like to look at how many completions do you get down there in the red zone? Just a note I put here, They've had twenty nine attempts down there against them in the red zone completion percentage about fifty two percent. That's the fifth worst in the league. Dallas is second in that category. They've given up there. They're they're given a fifty nine percent completion down there. We understand why Dallas has problem. Carolina's got the same kind of problems. But you're right, teams have not taken advantage of them at least the last five weeks. And I think it's to your point, Nick, it's because the quarterback's playing better. They run the football, and they find a way to kind of hold things in games with their offense and with their with the running game and then with guys like Thielan and others to make some plays.
Speaker 2: He seems good.
Speaker 9: I think just this defense overall, kind of going back to their run defense. Back to that subject. Nine times out of ten, when a safety is leading your team in tackles, that's not a good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I do like Xavier Woods. He leads the scene in tackles, he leads him in interceptions.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Yeah right, And I think I think there's a I think that's an indictment on this rush defense.
Speaker 6: But I do like Xavier Woods. I think I think he's being asked to do a lot from that third level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, we're gonna take our final break. We will come back.
Speaker 5: Got some questions for you guys about the matchup between the Cowboys offense, hit and the Cowboys defense.
Speaker 2: Will be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 17: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg ole led Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike. Every play, every hit, I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is.
Speaker 3: It's all thanks to.
Speaker 17: LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels. No one comes close. Lg O led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot oh led Evil.
Speaker 1: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 3: Off the field.
Speaker 1: Legendary John Deere tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 9: If you shout how about them Cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper. You love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be.
Speaker 6: Beat better yet.
Speaker 9: Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 6: The wins will be even tastier. It's a Pepper thing, and we're going to overtie Erica.
Speaker 2: How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 4: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may vary. Digital tools featured required dowloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for qualit assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 11: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew.
Speaker 10: At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you for d Day.
Speaker 7: Back to the Break, AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 5: Final segment of The Break Live from the SWBC Morgan Studios at the Star.
Speaker 3: All Right, here we go.
Speaker 5: I got some questions for you guys about this Cowboys offense. I'm gonna start here and this is a bigger picture question. So which is better at this point for Dallas their run offense or their past offense run offense?
Speaker 3: Run?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll expand you look, it is more consistent.
Speaker 2: Amazing, they haven't to be saying without with that beat, like just like run off.
Speaker 3: You look at the last several weeks. I mean it goes back to Carolina Tube Hubbard. The the two backs that had the most successful runs are your guy and Chuba Hubbard.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's that's amazing. Four yard for your successful runs are deemed four plus yards a car You're got one and two playing this week against.
Speaker 2: And he only had eighteen cares in this last the game. Just stop throwing that back out there.
Speaker 9: I'm not saying this should happen, but if Ceedee Lamb is the only receiver back on this team next year, you wouldn't get a complaint from me necessarily you want to just revamp the whole group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I appreciate you having the guts.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, yeah, I ain't.
Speaker 9: I'm just saying you would have get a complaint from what I had happened, because then you would be wasting that fourth round pick.
Speaker 6: You would be wasting You can't do that. You wouldn't get a complain for me.
Speaker 5: But I will say is the man's ability to block is better for anybody in that room right now.
Speaker 2: That that alone makes me say I want it. I want him back and you can figure out.
Speaker 5: We'll see if we can figure out how Dak can get him the ball. Actually good pass, you'll see.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what. I really do appreciate your honesty there because I yesterday I got into that same discussion and actually was on with my guy Watch Lombardi last night. We were talking about and I said, listen, you got one receiver. I mean, just the Tolbert stuff and all that. I I was, I was willing, I was hopeful. I wanted to see, you know, And he says, well, his numbers are same as Michael Gallup. Basically, I said, that's the problem. And he's out and he's gone. That's the problem. And you know with with I think he you know, to me, it's you needed more. You needed a lot more over there, and you know Cooks got injured. That that really hurts you. I still think Cooks could play. But you're you're not wrong. It's it's Michael, it's it's ceedee lamb and and go and try and revamp this thing. I don't disagree with you at all.
Speaker 9: But talking about the I bring that up just because the past, the past offense. I don't think is reliable enough right now. And you look at Cooper Rush quarterback throw either. Yeah, you look at Cooper Rush as well. He didn't have the greatest game against against Cincinnati. So yeah, I think if they can, if they can maintain the run when the time of possession battle in these games, they can, they can rattle off two or three wins here.
Speaker 3: I do believe that.
Speaker 8: So you also have to remember, like, so it's not like just because you're having a back up right now, you've seen this a good chunk of the season. It was with Dak Prescott as to quarterback, and they were still struggling a whole lot.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 5: So that being said, here's the next question of that, where's your level of confidence with Koper Rush? I think coming into this year relative to where it was then versus where it is now seeing him play these games, do you feel like you have the same level of confidence.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's more, do you think it's less.
Speaker 9: I think there were rightful questions whenever he came in to start for Dak Prescott, just because we hadn't seen him in two years. Yeah, and I think I look, I've looked back to camp and he had had some issues at camp, and I wonder if there was a conversation had with him at camp to start taking more chances, just to see what that looked like.
Speaker 6: Because he pushed the ball down the field.
Speaker 3: Did he look better? He looked better at camp.
Speaker 9: Granted he made mistakes on the same end, but he was pushing the ball down the field. You've seen him try that a couple of more times this time around, as compared to twenty twenty two. But again, in twenty twenty two, he had a lot more working for him than against him, and he has a lot more working against him than for him now. So my confidence in Cooper Rush are you asking for the future or.
Speaker 6: For the same games.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying in general, where you thought he was at the beginning of the season, your level of confidence there to where it is now.
Speaker 12: Is more?
Speaker 2: Is the same? Is it less?
Speaker 9: I would say it's probably the same, because I've never seen him as the guy that'll win you the game.
Speaker 3: You know what, there's a weird side of me that thinks they're not going to play Trey Lance because they want to sign him cheap.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I thought about that. I've thought about that as well.
Speaker 3: If you don't play Trey Lance. And he goes out there and say he has success, say, I mean maybe it's maybe you have four games he wins, maybe he's two and two. But all of a sudden, you see some sparks in the offense. You see the running game, you see him running the ball, you see him kind of finding some receivers mart that. Yeah, all of a sudden, now it's like whoa Trey Lance? Might someone might want to go and sign Trey Lance. There's a side of me, a sneaky side that's feeling like that they're not going to play Tray Lance just because they're gonna They're gonna see, they're gonna see like, okay, hey listen, I hey, it didn't work out for you here as far as getting a bunch of snaps, Da da da da da, we'd like to have you back. And then it turns into Trey Lanceton becomes your backup quarterback and then they move on from Cooper Rush.
Speaker 6: I definitely could see that.
Speaker 3: I think they're I think they're playing the game with us right now. They don't want him to play because they don't want his marketability.
Speaker 14: To go up.
Speaker 6: That's the draft. A guy late day three or bring back will career.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, in this in today's world, I unless you're a quarterback answer the question. Yea, unless you're a quarterback that is highly accurate. You have to be able to move out of the pocket like I'm not and I'm not saying be a runner and then an extremely mobile quarterback. But you have to have that flexibility in your body to be able to do that at times and not lose visions so bad.
Speaker 7: Like there are times that he just stands.
Speaker 8: There and I'm like, at least like have that natural instinct of survival of like getting out and yeah, I mean it's just a natural instinct of humans, you know.
Speaker 7: You see then you're, oh, crap, let me try to run.
Speaker 4: But I get it.
Speaker 8: When it comes to fight or fly, I just stay still. I'm just like I freeze. Uh So maybe he has that freeze moment. No, it's absolutely terrible. Then that's why I'm talking about it.
Speaker 6: But not a quarterback exactly.
Speaker 8: You do not want Yeah, but you don't want that in your quarterback in today's world. And he you know, I also have to remember too that who was calling the place when he had that success. Again, different offense Kellen Moore was the one still calling the place there and I have a lot of issues with the play color and remembering again how bad the offense still looked with Dak Prescott as your starter. So it's just it's it's hard to evaluate at times because the offense has just overall been so bad. But at the same time, there are plays that you see him make and throws that he throws, and there's no there's no justification for that either.
Speaker 5: All Right, I think we're gonna have to wait on the Orior over Warria conversation.
Speaker 2: Will save that until tomorrow. That'll be a wrap for us today.
Speaker 5: We got to head off, get over here to the Salvation Army, going to serve some folks today, So we'll be back tomorrow until then for Nick Harris, Brian brought us Ambergarciam Derek Elton. This has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 3: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. Yeah,