Speaker 1: Last week you were in Baltimore for the errand of the podcast. What do you think about the new studio?
Speaker 2: I like it, man, this is this is like Dateline slash meets You know what I'm saying, Like, who wants to be a millionaire?
Speaker 1: I feel like, yeah, Katie did a nice shoving her.
Speaker 2: She did that definitely has a woman's touch. I know, ain't no man did this alright?
Speaker 1: So Jets Titans this week bounce back mode for Green and White, no doubt about that. The Titans looking for their first victory. What do you do in terms of being here at one Jets drive from a player and coaches perspective, because you just played one of the top teams in the National Football League. You didn't play anywhere close to your standard. It's so early in the season and this is a totally different opponent.
Speaker 2: But is good though when you if you're going to have a loss like that, you wanted to be game one, right because, like now, you really got the attention of your team and they're coming in and sometimes when you win, and it's things that can make you lose that get swept under the rug. But everybody has to take accountability, especially on the defensive side of the ball. The offense, you know, they need rhythm and timing. They didn't get enough opportunities. But why didn't they get enough opportunities because the defense couldn't get off the field. You got to take that personal because it wasn't anything that was schematic. It was just a physical butt kicking and you have to look yourself in the mirror and say, man, I hope, I hope you know that I see those guys, I hope I see them in the Super Bowl and they think it's going to be the same type of thing, and you know, you take it personal. And when the standard has been so high here, so I don't I don't know where that day ranks as far as the most rushing yards that the Jets have ever given up, but it's got to be up there as far as recent years. One hundred and eighty yards rushing on you, and you know you got to take that, you know, personal. So I think they went back and they probably gonna have some tough film study. And I know sometimes sometimes you hope, like I don't know, if you ever like you know, has had acted up at school, and you know that the teacher gonna call and you're hoping that you can be home so you can intercept the call, or she forget to call, or your mom's at home or something like that. But like you hope on a short week when you have a when you get beat like that, you hope that you don't watch the film. And sometimes on the short week you like returning the page. This isn't one of those turning page. These are teachable moments because if you don't fix it. In the NFL, you're gonna see the same type of things and people are going to try and figure out how they can do the same thing with the personnel group and that they have. So if you don't fix it and have those conversations about what is expected when we are attacked like this, then you're doing to repeat it.
Speaker 1: So actually week one you think can be beneficial for the Jets in the long term.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you have to take the you have to take the lesson and you ask yourself, well, that's San Francisco. They're the best team, one of the best teams in the NFL. They've been doing it for a long time. Shanahan the history of his dad, the people off that running tree. All they do is run the ball and they know how to run the ball creatively. But I think you lost to an NFC opponent. Yep, But that gives you an opportunity to see how McDaniels is going to attack you because he has the same type of weapons and he has he doesn't have a undrafted guy. He has three or four guys that can that can do that, and that can instead of getting ten to twelve that can get home runs, hit their head on the goal post and that's how you're probably gonna get attacked. So I much rather you give up one hundred and eighty to the San Francisco than give up one hundred and eighty to Miami because they have the same similar run game, similar personnel. They got Ingle, right, they got you got youth check, they have youth check, they got Ingle you know, they have you know, Mozart, they got a chance. So and plus they got something that San Francisco don't have. It's Tyreek Hill. So now I'm glad that you got that lesson because now if that same running style comes to you, you've already addressed it.
Speaker 1: And it's not a surprise the copycat league. But Tennessee does not have the personnel that San Francisco does and that's not a shot at Tennessee. They they got some dudes, So we could play what are they going to try to do up front after watching the film what San Francisco did, because it like we say, styles make fights and this is a completely different team.
Speaker 2: Well what did San Francisco do? Like in a nutshell like not okay? What did they do? Literally? Like okay, yeah, they ran the ball right, They played keep away from Aaron Rodgers in that offense and then allowed to establish a rhythm and they were able to get some turnovers early on, which dis erupted that rhythm. We saw when Aaron Rodgers and that offense got a rhythm, what they're capable of, you know, twelve play drive, Aaron Rodgers catching you and defenses and figuring out what it is and switching plays and getting to a line of scrimmage. Early We saw what they can do and they get opportunities. And that's what you want to do if you're going to play this Jets team. It stop them from getting opportunities. How do you do that by running the football. So yeah, they may you know, run the football in a different manner, but Bill Callahan will have a plan for schematically how to try and outflank you, because I think they believe, or they should understand that they don't have the personnel to beat the Jets physically, but can I beat them schematically where I can use a guy like Pollard who is a different type of back. Right, this guy was downhill and all that stuff. This is a back in Pollard who is a guy that when he was in Dallas was averaging six seven yards of carry coming in with explosive plays because he can get through the scenes and get to the second level really really fast. So you know, my goal will be winning the day on first and second down. And if I have to, you know, put the heavy lifted on a guy like Sauce and say, hey, man, listen, they got a stud receiver over there, and see if that used to be a Stubb receiver that's trying to get his way back from from injury. We're gonna be heavy in this box and we're gonna make sure that teams aren't successful on us on first and second down. And that may mean early Yeah, well, I'm just gonna I'm gonna get I'm not gonna give a lot of room right, And you know, I'm putting that eighth man in the box, and I'm being aggressive because I need to get a young quarterback and Will Levis behind the sticks so that he can feel the pressure and so that when I open up my menu, I can get from the lunch menu, I get breakfast and dinner all day. Right, you don't want them. And that was the problem that Jets were in such a bad position when you get to third and medium or third and short, that you give the offense ability to be able to do too many different things and you can't prepare for all of them.
Speaker 1: What's the change right now for the Jets with no John Franklin Myers, you know, Huff signs the lucre to deal with the Philadelphia Eagles to sign Reddicks. Still not here. Specifically at the edge spot.
Speaker 2: Well, the edge spot was one thing I thought repeatedly. They lost their edge too often. I saw Jermaine and you know sometimes Madonnald was physically, you know, taking advantage of or or push off the line of scrimmage, and Jermaine was trying to be so physical that he lost his eyes. When you're rushing on the edge, you're set in the edge. You have to look through the V. We call it the V of the offensive lineman's neck right looking over his shoulder, because you have to see him, but look past him as well, because that tells you what you have to do if you have to disengage or you continue trying to get knock him back.
Speaker 1: So you can get caught up at a moment, Yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: He was trying to say, listen, this is Trent Williams. He's one of the best in the business. He ain't gonna punk me. Let me show you I can put heavy hands on him. And a lot of times Trent just caught him and said, listen, youngster, I ain't been in training camp. I'm tired of hell. That's why I when got an IV. I'm gonna go ahead and let you do the work for me. If you want to try and push me back two or three yard, that takes no energy for me. You know, if you really want to put pressure on guy like trem when you gotta work his edges to make him, have to use his feet. And you know that's something that Jermaine has to learn that. You know, you have to rush through the person, but you got to convert on pass, but when you're trying to get knock him back, you can't physically. It's impossible for you to push a guy like that back like that. You push him by threatening to beat him around the corner and he'll he'll move for you, and then you rush him and you can push him back one or two steps. You're not gonna take a guy like Trent Williams say I'm a long arm, stab him and push him back five yards. I mean, check his resume. It's plenty of guys that had a better resume than you, that had different, you know, moves and not saying that you're not a good player, but you're not there yet. He's done it with the best of them.
Speaker 1: So setting the edge against the run, the Jets gotta win early downs in this game. Specifically when you talk about will love this because if you put him in third down situations, you have an opportunity to get to the quarterback correct or.
Speaker 2: He'll throw you one yeah, or he'll do something crazy because he especially if you're able to listen. He had. He let the Chicago Bears back in the game by that crazy interception, but they were winning. Could you imagine the stress and the rest that he's under if they're losing. So it's your job to make sure that you get the young fellow behind the sticks, because you know, he's trying to impress a new team, new offense as well, so he's trying to learn. So it's early on. He doesn't have.
Speaker 1: A full there's some Titans fans calling for Mason Rudolph already.
Speaker 2: Right, so I mean just because they want somebody that's veteran that you don't have, Like, Okay, we're in chapter one of the install for the offense because we can't go deep because he's this is his second offense and it's the first game of the season. They don't even know what he does well right and how he reacts, so they're still trying to do a fill out process. When on our side, the advantages Aaron Rodgers, they know what he can do. I think the guys are starting to learn. Hey, the nuance, the small things. He made it through a game, and he looked he looked vintage at times to me, looked a little rusty at sometimes. And when I say russy for Aaron Rodgers is maybe one or two millimeters uh too far inside not outside. That makes the difference in Garrett Wilson in that third down conversion, and that also makes a difference on the press out where the ball got deflected. Just some minor tweaks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I wanted to ask you about Rogers looking ahead. You think he gets better each week. He had a year off.
Speaker 2: You know, It's funny. It's funny right because last week before when we were previewning the game, you know, we were talking, we had Rex on Rex like, well, just so you know, Aaron Rodgers always you know, doesn't have a great game his first game, and he went over the stats of all the game. He went to Yeah, he was like, but you know, man from week two on, so we saw that, Like Aaron, Aaron's like, oh man, I gotta get my balance right, I gotta get right. This is now. I have to adjust to to how I'm throwing the football with the coming off the injury. And he makes the necessary adjustments. So I think I suspect the offense, who looked good to me at times, just you know, want to get more movement on the run game and stuff like that. This is a new group, you know, so they have to figure out how to you know, work these combos how to get up to the second level all that stuff, even though this is a team that has from some familiarity, which you know, Vera. Tucker's played next to Morgan Moses before and Simpson's played next to Morgan, and you know trends, the tyrone tyrone that is the only new one, you know, And they'll get that figured out too, But that comes with reps. And they got Jeffrey Simmons. Man, he's a war daddy, right, and you know he's not gonna be easy. He can be a disruptor I think defense, Yeah, outside of like I mean, to me, he's like Dester Lawrence. Like I always say, Quinn is a different breed, Like he's not as big as those guys. Like he's big, but he's not fat, you know. I mean, these are like big little roly Casey Hampton type dudes that can be very, very disruptive in a run game.
Speaker 1: Garrett six sketches, Lizard six sketches. I think Breese had five. Those were the only pass catchers to actually catch a ball from Rogers. Is that just because of bottom line we didn't have He plays forty nine plays, so five three miles, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So That's what I'm saying, Like, that's that's just you know, the defense and uncharacteristically not being able to get off the field and giving up nine straight scoring drives. You know, that's that's rare. You don't expect this to ever happen to this defense again. And so like you know, given Rogers more opportunities to set up plays, plays to set up other plays, right, and maybe you know, Mike Williams, you know, they didn't want to use him too much, he'll be able to have an opportunity to kind of get the sea legs underneath him and maybe he gets more as he's on the same breas Hall pitch count that brief was on, so when it breached really kind of the Governor's off. Yeah, it was pretty much week five. So I mean, I think by the time you know, Mike gets to to Buffalo game, I think, you know, the Governor will be off. And then if Lazar can continue to produce at the clip that he produced that, I know he wants to have that drop back because it was a pivotal third down early on in the game. But if he's able to do that, now you feel super confident in three guys and if this offensive line can hold up, you know, maybe you get conkling and involved and maybe Rutger involved as well. So we'll see how things work out. But I'm very excited and bold on these next.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In fact, you've looked at the calendar at home, and you got out the red pen and you have circled it and said, jets your before and one that's your opinion when you look at Tennessee Sunday.
Speaker 2: Thursday, they got to earn it.
Speaker 1: Thursday night, New England, ten days off Denver at your place, and then you go over to London and face the Minnesota Vikings and your former quarterback Sam Darnold. Do you like the way the schedule sets up right now?
Speaker 2: I do. We knew. We knew that Week one was gonna be tough on a road against the Super Bowl caliber champion, a team that was just the NFC champions last year. But we also knew that, you know, the schedule makers, outside of giving us three games in ten days, you know, gave us a favorable schedule where you know this team can come together and build confidence. And then when you get to the Buffalo game, you're going to see if you're ready for a big prime time type of game all over again, right, because you have to learn how to make sure that you know when you play against these great teams that you you know, during the regular season, we always just have a formula. Win all your home games and split against the good teams. Yeah, and you know that's you. Back in the day, that was a recipe for eleven wins. Now that same recipe as a recipe for twelve wins. So if the Jets can you know, take care of business, win the games that they're supposed to win. But then when you go face Buffalo, get a win that is a fifty to fifty game and show that you know, belong in this division. Although the Jets are the only team within the division that didn't win, I know that's what it's going to ask. Everybody in the division looks heavily flawed. And they're saying the same thing that we're saying. They just saying it would a win that you know everybody self New England think New England know who and what they are, but everybody else, rather it's see Bills or whether it's the Dolphins, they're saying, hey, we got away with one and we got a lot of stuff to work on. So whoever, out of all those three teams, I'm gonna take New England out of it, you know, make the necessary adjustments and start playing well faster. It's gonna have an edge to jump out against this, you know, to jump out on this, uh this season because when you look at it, but if you're saying in Miami or playing Thursday, so one of them are going to tell.
Speaker 1: People seen that game while they're listening to this or watching.
Speaker 2: Right, So you know, I mean somebody's gonna be hurt, right, I mean something nobody's gonna be hurt. Somebody's gonna already be have a loss that didn't have a loss. So you have an opportunity to kind of go to second here.
Speaker 1: Here's my question about those teams. Really quick. Are the Bills gonna ask Alan to do too much this year? I mean it just.
Speaker 2: Gets to That's what happens. That's what happens when you get the money though, right, Because did Kansas City acts Patrick Mahomes to do too much last year? Yeah? Remember that offense was futriot last year. Right, It wasn't great. We haven't very we have real cautions about that and he showed that he could do that, and now they they were able to be able to get some weapons for him. Unfortunately, oddly enough, you know, the gift that they got was from somebody within the division that had to get past Kansas City. If they want to get to where they want to go into Bills, why would you ever give them a pick Avey Worthy, which is like, that's that's malpractice right there.
Speaker 1: I'm just wondering if this is going to be too much for them to overcome. When you're talking Milano being hurt at the linebacker spot, and then there's so many changes in secondary. You're talking about players not lining up for the Dolphins. They got new safeties, they just lost their nickelback.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, you look you look at I mean, that was Arizona, a team that we thought might be top five or definitely top ten as far as the draft order, and they were right there and should have won. You know, So who are the Buffalo Bills. We're yet to find out. But I can't wait to see him in Week six and hopefully, you know, it'll be for the division, or maybe not, because maybe Miami beats them on Thursday Night Football and Miami is a team to beat.
Speaker 1: Your takeaway in Miami. Uh, that game against Jacksonville with et On doesn't fumble that ball, that's probably a Jaguars win.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Does that say more about Jacksonville? Does that say more about Miami or do you just say, hey, that's Week one whatever. I'm not putting too much stock into.
Speaker 2: It, right, I believe it's week one, But it's also were two teams that you know, one didn't have an advantage, right because you know they usually the advantage for Miami as the fact that it's ninety one degrees. Well, guess what, it's ninety one degrees in Jacksonville too, So like that wasn't advantage. The heat early on in Miami wasn't advantage for them. But also, you know, Jacksonville spent a lot of money in the offseason to improve their defense and offense. They got Armstead out there to go with our in and Walker and you know, they spent money and a lot of guys down. But you know they really spent money on the offensive side of the ball too. Yes, they let Calvin Ridley go, but you know they was went out and got big play Gabe and drafted well, so you know, maybe Jackwall's got something to say about the AFC or the AFC South. It's two good teams going against each other. But Miami didn't look like the team until late that is sposed to offense. And two, it didn't look like he was his normal self as well.
Speaker 1: Bill Belichick and I talked to Baldi about this as well, said that one of the things that stood out to him early here in the NFL season Week one was that teams are having difficulty throwing the football. Is that because quarterback play? Is that the defenses? Is that because people don't play in the preseason anymore.
Speaker 2: I think it's a combination of both. The fact that defenses are traditionally ahead of offenses early on in the season. And I mean even Patrick Mahomes, what did he throw for it? But he didn't light it up, you know, I mean, that's the best in the business. Lamar Jackson didn't light it up. He lit it up with his legs, which is, you know, imprivatization opposed to stepping back and the game working. But the defense always catches up and the powers to be will probably put in some more legislation to help the offense next year, and defense have to adjust again. But guys are starting to figure out. You know, you look at guys like C. J. Stroud and that you know Jordan Love, guys that you know caught the league by storm. Defense. The defensive coordinators have had opportunity to study those guys for an entire season. And you talk about Openland week. You know who you're going against and so you study for them all year. Now, now let's see if the offense is held down this week when you don't prepare for the second week of the season. You prepare. Everything is geared in the off season, everything's geared in training camp. This is our opponent, this is what they do. So you watch them all the time. You don't watch these opponents as much as you watched the first one because you know exactly who you're facing.
Speaker 1: You take them one at a time. But you're saying these are moths for the Jets here when you're looking at the schedule, Yeah, they should got to roll contests against the Titans. And then you come back Thursday night against New England at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean home opener, ruckus crowd. You know Jacoby Brissett, who knows that Jacob Ba said still be the starter he didn't exactly light it up, you know, and maybe they might want to spark, but you talk about you know, I don't know if they want to put a rookie Drake May against Aaron Rodgers first time on the first time starting on the road, you know what I mean. So maybe it's gonna be Jacoby Brissett, but maybe we see Drake May because the Jets are doing such a good job that they realize that, hey, it's time to get the young guy experience because we getting the breakspeed off of us.
Speaker 1: I got a feeling that Rogers is gonna continue to send here like you just talked about before, and he was not poor by any means.
Speaker 2: I'm so en courage. He doesn't have the opportunity. Yeah, I mean he's not his fault on the interception, like that was a deflection and just ball bounced directly to a guy who's probably got his first career interception, right, you know what I'm saying. And you know, to punch out, that's that's just schematics. Breech Hall knows better when you get it. When you get a reception and you're on the left side of the field, you put the ball on the left hand so that the guy, if they're gonna punch it out, he has to reach across your body. He put the ball right there for one of the best linebackers. It was like, you know, you know, you know, dangling a stake in front of a lion and you ain't got no cage in between you. He gonna get to that steak. And that's what happened. And I know when Breech is, you know, breaking down the game and he's watching the family watching the play, the running backs coach is saying, hey man, switch that hand right so now, because there's more people coming from pursuit inside than outside.
Speaker 1: I think I'm going to use that line before. So that's dangling a steak from in front of a line and there's no key yep. I like that vulnerable and hey man, you look comfie.
Speaker 2: Can you see my feet?
Speaker 1: All right? Thanks?
Speaker 2: Brother? All right?
Speaker 1: Paaldy Week one throughout the National Football League, what were your major take with Well, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, you know, Kansas City look like you know, they're they're primed. You know that first opening games, Avery Worthy is going to make a difference in that offense, you know, and then you I was in Brazil and Saquan in that Philadelphia Eagles offense is a perfect fit. And then you can just go around the league. Cj uh you know CJ. Stroud with the addition of mixing and State and digs like they're gonna be a force. And then look the Cowboys defense, like they they just added some young pieces. They're so fast and they made Cleveland look so slow. And so you just go around the league and there was some really strong performances. Tampa Bay is the team you have to take seriously. You know the Jets that they're gonna bounce back. We're gonna they're gonna bounce back. I mean, they did not play well against San Francisco, but that's a stacked roster in San Francisco, so it's a good first test. But they should get up off the mat from that one.
Speaker 1: Bill Belichick pointed out that, hey, a lot of teams early on weren't passing the football with a lot of efficiency. What do you point to for that.
Speaker 3: Well, look, nobody plays in preseason, and so to me, September's in New August, Like, you got to now get yourself into shape. You got to get your timing down, you got to get your protections your hot reads, like, now's the time to start working on it immediately and fixing things. Things that are broken, fix it, and things that you can get better at work on them. It's just hard. As much as you want to put emphasis in the preseason, if you're not playing, you're just not going to get to the speed of the game that you need to be.
Speaker 1: The Jets had a tough assignment going and playing against the forty nine ers. They didn't play up to their standard, especially in the defensive side of the ball. How much of a concern is anything what you saw their long term or these are all correctable mistakes?
Speaker 2: Well, I think the.
Speaker 3: Run defense can get fixed because run defense is just run fixed. You could take the run away. They didn't do a good job of that. I thought the linebackers were They were just frozen reading and they weren't attacking. But the one concern I would have is pass rush because look, Bryce huff was a was a big part of the pass rush last year. He's not here, Hassan's not here, So who's that third guy? Because I believe Jermaine and quinnin can always get after the quarterback, but you need a third guy to win, And I don't know who that third guy is right now, and so that's a concern for me.
Speaker 1: What about offensively, Aaron Rodgers making his twenty twenty four debut thirteen to twenty one, had the one scoring pass Dawlenlizard.
Speaker 3: Look, I mean, you got to stay on the field. Forty nine snaps isn't enough. They had five possessions in the first half where they didn't get a first down. Like, that's not Aaron Rodgers football, That's not what the Jets. So you need to get Breeze Hall going. He didn't get going. That's a big part of it. But you saw the throws Tolizard, the throws to Garrett Wilson were elite stick throws. There just wasn't enough of them in that game because they didn't stay on the field long enough. And so that's their challenge this week against Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's go inside the match up against the Titans. The Titans, I think, and they should be want to know after blowing a lead there in Chicago. Offensively, what is Rogers going to be seeing this week?
Speaker 3: Well, I think that he's got a very good defensive front. You know, Harold Landry Jeffrey Simmons, this new rookie to Fandre Sweat is a real force. Like they're built around the front four, and so Aaron knows that, he knows that they've got some good pass rushers inside and outside, and so the ball's got to come out quick. They signed l J. Snead to be like a shut down corner. We may see LJ against Garrett Wilson and look, I mean he's got the ability to take receivers out, but that's a challenge right there. So where else can you go with the ball? The tight ends have to get involved in the offense this week.
Speaker 1: Guess what I wanted to ask you is that do you make anything of that Rogers connected with three players against the Niners and Garrett Wilson, Breist Hall of course, and Allen Zard or is that more? Okay, that's just a result of we had a couple three and outs, We weren't able to get rhythm and the defense had problems getting off the field.
Speaker 2: That was all that.
Speaker 3: It was all of that. I mean, he's always going to go to the guys that he trusts, and there's obviously big trust in Garrett and Lazard right now and the checkdowns to briefs are there, so there's trust in those guys, but the offense has to be more than three. But for right now, as you sort of get into game mode, you go to what you trust and look if Lazard and Garrett Wilson gets the majority of the targets, it's just the way it is right now. Mike Williams, we'll get into it. Xavier, you know, we'll get into it. But for right now, you're going to go to who you trust to win. When you have to.
Speaker 1: How big are moments in the game in terms of rhythm. Because that first drive you got possession, and Lazard has the drop that would have been a first down, that game is on third down. Second drive, Briee unfortunately has the fumble. So when you're talking in the big picture, how important are those moments with rhythm.
Speaker 3: It's paramount, especially third You've got to stay on the field because you have a game plan, you feel good about the game plan, you spend all week doing it, but you never really get into it. You're always just getting drive starters and you're not getting drive finishers because you're not staying on the field, and so and then the game is getting away from you too, So now you have to kind of get away from some of the things you're hoping to do because the game's getting away from you. Now you've got to play catchup. And so you know, even at twenty six thirteen, they weren't out of the game. And that's kind of how Aaron Rodgers thinks, you're never out of it. On the other hand, if you can get on top of a team, then you can start bleeding the clock. Then you can start pounding Breeze. You know, we didn't see you know, Braileen Allan, we didn't see any of the other running backs because they just couldn't establish that part of the game. They've got to get better up front, and I think they will. I mean, they've got veteran players right now. I thought there was some miscommunication in the run game that led to some you know, to Breeche getting stuffed in that game in the first half. Like they've got to click that cleaned up here week?
Speaker 1: Is that natural? With three new starters and everybody, that whole group didn't even play together a snap in the preseason. They had valuable reps out here in the practice field. But you knew that was gonna happen.
Speaker 3: You hope it doesn't happen, but it does happen. There is a built in chemistry you have to develop and the only way you get it is by playing through it. And so just I saw one between Ali and Morgan on the back side of Iran where really, you know, one guy was blocking one play and the other was blocking another play in the tackles making you know, the tackle on the on Briee, you know for no gain like that has to get cleaned up. They they've got the strength of this whole Tennessee defense is the interior of their defensive line. Sebastian, Joseph Day, Jeffrey Simmons, the rookie Tofandre Sweat, those are really good football players. Like you can't make those mistakes against those players, otherwise their linebackers will make the tackles defensively.
Speaker 1: What do you think was the message here at one Jets Drive this week, because Robert Salad said it sternly, we will get this shit fixed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you have to because Tony Pollard and and spears, they're capable of doing damage. If you don't get your run fixed, your run fits fixed. And that's what run defense is. It's just being in the right gaps and attacking those gaps and squeezing the defense and shortening and squeezing the holes like there's a there's a method to stopping the run. And I don't care what the names on the back of the jersey is, it's the same. And so you've got to get to your fits, you got to get into your gaps, and you've got to attack those gaps. And I would expect that CJ and Quincy could easily be in double digit tackles this week.
Speaker 1: Lovis making us eleventh career start in the National Football League. See the guy you consider high ceiling, low floor and sometimes it's gonna land somewhere in between.
Speaker 2: Well, he first of.
Speaker 3: All, he's a tough guy. Uh, he's taking his hits in this business. I see him come back against the Miami Dolphins in Miami on a money night last year, Yeah, where he made all the throws after just getting hit time after time after time. Like he's gonna's he's not going to give in. He's going to compete like crazy. And he's got a rocket for an arm. Now he's capable of make mistakes, all right, and that's what he has been prone to. You've got a force many of those mistakes, but he certainly has the ability to stay in there and deliver the ball on time, and I think the offensive line under Callahan is capable of giving him that kind of time.
Speaker 1: They got some interesting receivers, starting with Ridley. Hopkins is coming off injury. He didn't get many snaps I think seventeen snaps against the Bears, and then Boyd as well.
Speaker 3: Well, look, Calval Ridley is the number one right now. They signed him to a big contract to be the number one guy. Now, the targets are going to go to him. But both backs are excellent receivers. Taja Spears is an excellent receiver. In fact, last year is a rookie. He was a third down back and they took Derrick Henry off the field. So both Spears and Pollard are very capable. The tight end, Okuronquo is like he's going to Tuchown last week. He's a very athletic, move tight end and so he's got enough targets right now. It's probably not what we saw in San Francisco on Monday night, but they're certainly capable of making big plays.
Speaker 1: You think this is a close matchup ultimately the way you saw Tennessee play, and also with the Jets kind of where they're at right now.
Speaker 3: I think that it's time to get after Will Levis, and I would think, look, they gave up a punt block for touchdown, a pick six for a touchdown. Otherwise, they win that game against Chicago on the road against a pretty good football team. They made Caleb Williams look like a rookie. Yeah, he was awful in the game. The offense was awful, So I think they probably feel pretty good about what they have defensively. Like Anna Rodgers is looking at that right now, going all right, this is Caleb, this is me, Like, I'm gonna show you what real offense looks like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt about it. Will they try to protect Levis against the Jets defense, considering what he's done early in his career and coming off a game where those takeaways really hurt the Titans.
Speaker 3: I think that, you know, Brian Callahan is a really good offensive coordinator and his dad's a great line coach and run coordinator. So I think that they will have a good game plan against this front and what the Jets want to do, and then it's the question of can the secondary like they didn't come close to taking the ball away, Like, there's gonna be opportunities to take the ball away this weekend, and you've got you got to you got to start that process because to me, if you want to be a great defense, you got to be a great scoring defense, and you got to take the ball away.
Speaker 1: Quick thoughts on New England, because the Jets don't only play Tennessee Sunday afternoon, they come back home, have a couple of days of preparation. As the Patriots home opener, well.
Speaker 3: They they made Joe Burrow, who I think is a great quarterback, look very average. And the offense in Cincinnati never got going. Now they had a ball stripped away at the goal line going into score. You know that was a big play. But Keon White, some of these guys you might not know very much about, Like they played big and and Gion Mayo had them ready to play. They played great defense, and they played complimentary offense from Andre Stevenson had a good day. The offensive line played well. They shortened the game like they had a good game plan against a very good Bengals team.
Speaker 1: Paul's a great senior from Brazil to Indianapolis, two NFL films to one Jets Drive.
Speaker 3: It's been a track, but I enjoyed their every single stop along the way.