Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News. Pimco Global Economic advisor and former FED Vice Chair Rich Clarita joining us Now and Rich, what's your take on what we just heard from FED Chair J Powell?
Speaker 2: Well, I think the Chair certainly intended to open the door pretty wide to cutting in September. Importantly, Lisa, he spent a lot of time on balance of risk, which is what policymakers do, but at the two key junctures he highlighted the balance of risk to the labor market is to a weaker labor market, and he basically indicated that the balance of risk to higher inflation doesn't appear to be a first order concern in terms of persistent inflation. So I think the message was they think they're going to cut in September, we get some more data, and the markets have reacted to that.
Speaker 1: How much do you think that this is partly to maintain the Fed's credibility, not as is they'rely with respect to the president, but that right now, if they get it wrong on the labor market front, that it is that much more pernicious based on some of the job owning.
Speaker 3: By what we hear from the president.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean, as the share said in the remarks, it's a curious kind of balance in the labor market. The payroll employment growth has been very, very weak in the private sector, but the unemployment rate has not gone up, and so they are really focused on the balance of risk. Look, the FAT has a dual mandate. It's costly to let inflation move higher and stay there, but it's also costly to have a recession with the rise of the unemployment. And I think, Lisa, you're correct they are tilting in that direction now.
Speaker 1: It feels like a very different Jackson Hole. And this is something that we've been talking about with all of our guests today. Rich that people have come on and said there is a different tone about central banking independence and a question of how to communicate at a time of political interference.
Speaker 3: What's your sense of where that was.
Speaker 1: In the speech that we just heard from FED Chair J Powell.
Speaker 2: I think the approach the Chair took was to really focus front and center, Lisa, on the dual mandate that's assigned by Congress, maximum employment and price stability. And the Chair gave a very reasoned and thoughtful analysis and discussion of how they're balancing the dual mandate risks, and I think that's the Jay Powell message to the issue of FED independence. We have an assignment from Congress, and this is what we're doing to achieve it.
Speaker 1: At this point, we also are dealing with the headlines that are coming out about FED Governor Lisa Cook, where at the same time that Jerome Powell was giving his speech, President Trump came out with this truth post saying that he will fire Lisa.
Speaker 3: Cook if she doesn't resign.
Speaker 1: We did hear reports that in the Jackson Lake Lodge and the lobby that James Fishback was screaming at Lisa Cook that why did she commit mortgage fraud? What's your take on what this does in terms of both the FED composition but also just the ability to be clear minded about making FED policy.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously understand just looking at the headlines that you mentioned myself and don't know the details or the facts in this particular situation, but clearly we're in an environment where FED independence is under scrutiny. And my conviction is that, notwithstanding all of the very relevant factors that you mentioned, that the Fed's is going to keep doing keep doing its job.
Speaker 4: Richard Claire to Tom Keene here, thank you so much for joining. U's very valuable. I've got two texts I want to take here that I think are important. You recently said that what matters is the institution, that this chairman and any future chairman has to protect the institution. What's the day one first mandate to protect the institution for the next chairman.
Speaker 2: Well, I think first and foremost it's to have in place a plan and communication that will deliver expectations of price stability. I think the chair was right today to emphasize that the FED has to focus on getting price stability because that's going to deliver the ability to deliver maximum employment. I've also written Tom that the FED is sort of a complex, encumbersome institution with nineteen folks around the table and the Reserve Bank presidents. But I do think that is a strength right now of the institution.
Speaker 4: Right Well, this is really important because it's as fractious as a meeting of the bond team at PIMCO. In the middle of the speech, Powell channeled a few years ago at PIMCO the New Normal. For a moment, I thought Mohammed Hlarian had personated in to write the speech. There's your optimal new normal for the Fed, which Powell mentioned today. What's the best new normal for the next Fed?
Speaker 2: Well, I think a new normal would be inflation moving down towards the two percent target, which would let the next FED chair cut rates down towards a neutral level. You know, PIMCO in twenty fourteen we rolled out the idea of a new neutral and we've been operating in that new neutral world now for more than a decade, and so I think well anchored inflation expectations, getting tariffs in the rear view mir would allow the FED to cut rates by probably one hundred and fifty basis points from here in achieving that ultimate soft landing. So I think that would be a good new normal destination for the next FED chair.
Speaker 1: What risks are there to that given what we're seeing with the dollar, given the fact that we really have a very high level of uncertainty around which tariffs are going to stick and how much is going to get past along to consumers.
Speaker 2: Sure, and I think the Chair was right to point out that we are seeing evidence of tariffs showing up in the price indexes for imported goods, but that's been offset to some extent with a decline in services inflation. Again, I think where they are focused is to make sure that what is an inevitable increase in the price level from tariffs does not over time result in persistent inflation. And I think the speech today addressed their thinking right now, which is that their baseline is that that will not happen, which will give them the room possibly in September, to cut rates.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at least I think it's important to mention within the market, check that the market is putting on steam. Here an hour after the beginning of the speech and Mike McKee's bombshell headlines a Dow lifting up, I'm not told I can't leave Jackson Hall unless Dow goes up a thousand points.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm getting pretty close to it.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you're going to be hiking for maybe another six hours and then all of a sudden not so much.
Speaker 3: Rich.
Speaker 1: I do want to know, though, about what this does in terms of the currency ramifications and where your preference lies in terms of the good investment backdrop, because what we heard from Fetcher J.
Speaker 3: Powell is so vastly different from what we.
Speaker 1: Heard from Joakim Novel of the German Central Bank where he said we have to focus on inflation and right now that is more concerning to them than trying to support growth by cutting rates or being stimulative. The fact that that is the framework there and it is such a different framework here, does that make you want to invest in Europe a little bit more?
Speaker 2: Well? You know, I think one of our themes at PIMCO is that we're in a world where taking advantage of a global opportunity set makes sense. Also, we're in a world where makes us to focus on valuations and without getting into particular markets or securities. There have been some pretty big divergencies between valuation and the US and Europe, especially in inequity markets. Also, you know, the Europeans are much closer to their two percent target than is the FED because from your point of view, the tariffs are really a disinflationary for so we're at different points in the rate cycle and that does open up some good opportunities.
Speaker 4: Richard Clarita, you are definitive in the mathematics, the modern mathematics of our economics.
Speaker 3: Then, you know, we.
Speaker 4: Talk about a new framework and it's a lot of job boning about process. Maybe it's what are we going to do with the dots? What are we going to do with the mathematics of modern economics forward? Is it diminished after all this turmoil?
Speaker 2: You know, you know, Tom, you and I over the years, decades now, I've talked about that a number of times, and my thinking continues to be the mathematics, the models, including my own, our tools. They're a starting point for analysis and discussion. But they're not They're not handcuffs, nor are they the destination. And certainly, you know, the the last five years have been unusual with a pandemic and all the rest. But I continue to believe that models in math are our tools, not handcuffs.
Speaker 4: My goal right now, Rich is to get you on the short list, is to be the next chairman. So let's talk tariffs here. What is the clarita mathematics of Trump tariffs?
Speaker 2: Well, as Mike mckeeth said, they are raising a heck of a lot of revenue, and I would agree with my Washington there you go. I think I think Washington may very quickly get hooked on the two or three hundred billion dollars a year in tariff revenue, especially if you know the initial cost of raising that revenue is in the rearview mirror, which which I think I expect to be the case down the road. Look, we're in a different regime, you know. We talked at PIMCO in June about uh an era of fragmentation, and these trends have been accelerating and the destination global trading system and global economy is going to be very different in five years than it was in the thirty years of globalization. So I think to be continued is the way I would answer your question.
Speaker 3: He's running, Is that what you think?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 4: Bullets running?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think by the time we get done on the show today, we're gonna have Tracy Alloway running.
Speaker 1: I think that maybe we'll doubt but I am we will. She's sitting here with us. I'm sure, she says, I bag Rich. I am curious though, going forward this idea of how inflationary tariffs could or couldn't be given the fact that this is a new world order. And we were talking with Adam Posen of the Peters Constitute earlier and he was talking about how he sees inflation as having nodes of the nineteen seventies and potentially being really pernicious Why do you not necessarily see that?
Speaker 3: Why are markets more sanguine on that risk?
Speaker 2: Well, I think simply because the the nineteen seventies we're a very serient experience for the current group of policy makers who lived through it, and I think there were some important lessons learned. And one lesson learned is high and persistent inflation is very costly to the economy. And I think politicians learned that as well, and so I think that central banks have earned a lot of credibility the under Vulcar, under green Span, under pass FED chairs in the US and abroad, and I think that expectations of inflation, we're sort of in a world in which the bomb markets at least think that over a five year period, the FED is going to do whatever it takes to get inflation down what I call two points something. And I think that's an important victory that central banks are still benefiting from. And I would expect that and certainly hope that will continue.
Speaker 4: Richter Clarita with us follow you on radio and TV. We've extended this wonderful show with a huge market movie c today. Off of the Powell speech, I want to turn to Michael McKee because my head's spinning. I've got Chairman Bullard, Chairman Clarita, Chairman Alloway, and the rest. So when they're in the Oval Office and they're sitting on the couches and President Trump is going to turn to the people he trusts. Here, let's start with the Secretary of Treasury. What is Beson can say to him about the qualifications needed for a Trump chairman.
Speaker 5: Well, probably from Scott Besson's you would hear the importance of being able to relate on Wall Street. It was put once to me that the Treasury Secretary's job in terms of the markets is to be able to calm them down when something is going wrong. And so that I would argue for a certain number of the candidates, maybe miss Alloway, it fits in that category that have that gravitas to be able to do that. The idea that you want to cut rates is that's not really part of it, because you wouldn't be on the list if you didn't want to cut rates at this point. So it's going to be somebody who is the president will feel comfortable with maybe this move if the Fed cuts rates. He's more comfortable with a wider group of people because he started to get what he.
Speaker 4: Wants and Joe Wisenthal.
Speaker 5: We could add job Weisenthal because well, we don't know if the president is a country music fan. We'd have to find that out first. But I think going forward, the one thing you could say maybe out of this speech is if an ordinary administration which wasn't going to be subject kind of the whims the way Donald Trump does things, this would have really given a boost to Chris Waller because essentially what they're saying is Chris Waller was right that inflation looked through inflation from tariffs because it will be a one time price boost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now the question is going to be and ultimately is this going to be.
Speaker 3: A hawkish cut or a dubbish cut.
Speaker 1: In September, Pimpko goes at Rich Clarita, you've been incredibly generous with your time. Thank you so much for being with us as we dissect that speech. It was a lot longer than as prior speeches, and it was one that signaled at the beginning of a new rate cutting cycle. They have not cut rates since December in twenty and twenty four