Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go ahead and get to a big Scotus ruling that came.
Speaker 4: I guess that's right.
Speaker 3: This is a major Supreme Court ruling that happened in the middle of ceasefire, so you may have missed it and you're definitely forgiven. We can go ahead and put this up there on the screen, and I'll just read a little bit from the decision. Quote, the Supreme Court has now made it easier for the Trump administration to deport convicted criminals. To quote third countries to which they have no previous connection. In a brief unsigned order that did not explain its reasoning, the court put on hold a federal job is ruling that said those affected Nation nine should have a needingful opportunity to bring claims. They would be at risk if they were sent to countries the administration has made deals with to receive deported immigrants. As a result, the Administration will be able to quickly remove immigrants to such third countries, including South Sudan. Affected immigrants can still attempt to bring individual claims. So what you're basically seeing there is this happened I know while I was gone, but there was what was it? A deportation to South Sudan of several I think individuals here illegally in the United States. Well, what has now happened is that the Supreme Court is allowing the deportation of this. However, the legal process which is done still remains up in the air. As I understand it, it allows for such deportation to take place, but there's still open questions around due process, just like with the Alien Enemies Act. But broadly, it was a win for the Trump administration at an executive level.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it, and was split along partisan lines. The I don't think there was much question about whether or not the administration could deport people to third countries places they're not from. That has been, you know, a long standing practice. You know, this is something that's going to get broadly acknowledged that you know, the administration has this power, whether I like it or not. The questionnaire was all around due process. Do you have a chance to challenge that decision to send you? For example, Libya is one of the countries that they want to send people to. We've talked about Libya a lot lately because in the context of Iran, things are not going well in Libya. Reports are that, you know, they certainly in the past add effectively slave markets, and in fact a lot of the people who were sold on those slave markets were migrants into the country. So to me and Soccer and I agreed, we don't have time to fight about this today, so we'll table this, you know, for a longer discussion later. To me, you should have the ability have enough time to say, Hey, I think I'm going to be tortured and murdered and sold into a slave market if I go to this country, if I'm shipped to this country and have that go through an adjudicated process, effectively the Supreme Court here. And I think you may agree with this, like not only did they say no, you don't really deserve like any sort of lengthy do process, but this is an important decision, and it really bothers me that they didn't even explain their thinking, you know, because.
Speaker 3: That really it's a procedural thing in terms of the unsigned order, because it's like the un.
Speaker 2: They couldn't know they could have, and the descent, the descent was written out and explained, but the actual decision here they give no rationale for. So it continues to leave all of these questions about why they interpreted it this way and what made them come to this decision. And I think that, you know, I disagree with the decision outright, but I also think it's outrageous that they didn't even bother to explain what is in effect quite consequential decision here. Ultimately, we also wanted to highlight for you guys a couple of interesting comments that I'm a little bit surprised at from Joe Rogan and then some from Andrew Schultz, where obviously, you know, both of them were supportive of Trump in this past election, and Rogan expresses here some discomfort with the extent of the Trump deportation policy and the way they've gone about it, which, you know, most of the people who are being detained at this point, like the A Royal Major, I think ninety percent are not violent criminals who have been picked up by the Trump administration. And so he expresses in this clip some discomfort with that. Let's go ahead and take listen to that.
Speaker 5: Ice raids are fucking nuts, man, watching this protest on television, it's like.
Speaker 6: Doing the raids or nuts. The broke the Yeah, it a little too hard.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't think if they the Trump administration, if they're running and they said we're going to go to Home Depot and we're going to arrest all the people at Home Depot. We're going to go to construction sites and we're going to just like tackle people with constructions, I don't think anybody would signed up for that. They said we're going to get rid of the criminals and the gang member first, right, and now we're we're seeing like home depots get rated.
Speaker 6: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Something that the Home Depot really struck accord with these guys was just kind of interesting, I guess because it's.
Speaker 4: Just like so known, so suburban Joe.
Speaker 2: Probably maybe even has been to because he used to live in La. The particular home depot that was READD. I don't know, but I just say sager, Like on the Iran war stuff, yes, Trump said we should bomb the nuclear sites. He also said he would be the peace candidate. If you weren't paying that close of attention, I can maybe sort of give you the benefit of the doubt in thinking.
Speaker 1: There was genuine ambiguity there. Yeah, they were Okay.
Speaker 3: The guy literally came out and said, fuck Israel and Iran, what the fuck they're doing today? And then also called and then said no regime days today.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: But I'm just saying you can read whatever you wanted.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 2: You could also have looked at his first term in the how hawk as she was towards run. But like I said, I okay, I can see where you were coming from and why you may have gotten the impression that he would not be a hawk fece of the Iran. I don't know how you could give that impression on deportation, like the whole campaign was mass deportation or holding up signs at the R and C that said mass deportation. Now, like, what about that made you think that this was going to be some targeted, we're only going after the criminals kind of approach, because that was not at all what was sold during the election whatsoever. And so I'm glad to see him express concern, But i just think it's insane that you didn't think that was the direction that Stephen Miller was going to go and Tom Homan, we're going to go in if they were put back into power.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, I don't disagree. I mean, the mass deportation was about as clear as it was. I think the mass deportation in the trade war. I guess it's about implementation or seeing like there's something visceral probably about it. I mean, I don't know, because it is one of those things where, look, sometimes people believe in something, but they don't necessarily understand what the overall implication of what it's going to play out is going to look like.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's understandable.
Speaker 3: I guess there hasn't really been a serious massive ortation effort like this in literally what fifty years or something like that.
Speaker 1: So you know, to that extent that makes sense.
Speaker 3: But yeah, broadly, I mean I would say, in particular with like Maga and you know what they were saying literally at the time, and also in terms of practice, there has not really been a single thing I would maybe Seacott, I would say, the rest of it has not personally surprised me, like like.
Speaker 4: Home Depot surprised me.
Speaker 1: But that's what I'm saying, Seacott.
Speaker 3: But even if he said he was going to do the Alien Enemies Act literally on the campaign trail, I think in the seventy days before he came to seventy days before he was elected, he's like, here's my plan to use the Alien Enemies Act and to immediately expedite deportation. Again, you could sympathize because people are not paying attention, but at a lack mass deportation level. They made it pretty clear. I mean, yes, they were talking about criminal and illegal, but you know, a large part of it here was about labor and cheap labor specifically. That's been a central point of the Trump talking points on immigration now for quite some time.
Speaker 1: But I guess people.
Speaker 3: Sometimes maybe see what I want to see as well with a criminal comment.
Speaker 4: I think that I think that's a good point.
Speaker 2: Let's go and take a listen to Andrew Schultz just did this long interview with the New York Times, which I listened to all of I don't know.
Speaker 1: I haven't listened the full thing yet.
Speaker 4: It wasn't I don't know.
Speaker 2: The two of the interviewer and him were kind of like at odds the whole time.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 1: I think the interviewer really didn't get his deal.
Speaker 3: And yet anyway, yeah, what I read in the transcript, I didn't listen to it.
Speaker 2: I did listen to it, and you didn't get a lot out of it. I don't know if it was Andrews. I don't know if it's an interviewer's fault. They just didn't really there wasn't. It wasn't a great pairing. I would say, the two of them together in any case, Andrew made some kind of similar comments with regard to immigration and Trump. Let's go and take a listen to that.
Speaker 7: And in terms of immigration, like I want more like if you broke the law, you did any if you if you broke the law, you you fucked up. You already here illegally, so you already broke the law, and you're breaking the law.
Speaker 6: You got to go.
Speaker 7: If you've been working your ass off for ten years here, you've got a family. There's got to be a system where we can just give these people a pathway to citizenship or a Greek card or something. There has to be a better way than simply just hey, you go. And that's what I was pleading with him for on the pod, which is maybe pleading is a strong word, but I was asking him to show empathy for these people that he's also employed. I was like, listen, you've had hotels. You know these people. You know that they're going to bust their ass, They're going to work hard, and they want a better life. It's like, why my mom came here, so why your parents or maybe his great grandparents.
Speaker 6: Or some shit came here.
Speaker 7: So it's like, I would like there to be much more empathy in that department.
Speaker 6: I don't think that that's happening.
Speaker 1: And what would Democrat have to do to win your vote back?
Speaker 7: He would just have to be named Bernie Sanders and I fucking vote for him in a heartbeat.
Speaker 4: No, enjoy that last time was there.
Speaker 2: I'm an interesting horseshoe, But in any case, I'm actually a little bit surprised that these guys didn't know what they were getting with.
Speaker 3: Well, no, I see, I think it's a little bit more fair on Rogan's d on Andrews. And Andrew actually literally was pressing Trump about immigration, and to the extent that he was like pro Trump or whatever. I don't think he ever signed up for the quote master.
Speaker 1: And that's my point.
Speaker 3: And this is why people are not to be put into a box. And it is important as well to play this all out. I would not have done it the way that Trump has done it. However, you know, and this I look, Andrew is a good friend of mine, and I do disagree with him though. I mean, I don't think that just coming to the country illegally and just because you quote haven't committed a crime gives you some great license for a green card. Frankly, it's absurd policy. But as you just said, you don't want to fight. But my main point remains is that immigration. You know, look, the polling is all over the place. We can, I think probably agree it's still the strongest place for Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Maybe war will replace it.
Speaker 3: I still think it's the central reason why he was elected president. Both in twenty sixteen and again in two thousand and twenty four. But broadly, I mean, I think one of the reasons, maybe it's the lesson for Democrats as well, is that you have people who literally believe in comprehensive immigration reform, but when you have border chaos, they're like, yeah, fuck this, and they're going to go with somebody who stands for mass deportation. In general, Americans react to whoever they think is being more chaotic on the issue of crime and or immigration. If anything, I think it's a good lesson for those people. Also that you can win people back or you know that the narrative is not locked in if you want it to be part of why I would encourage the Trump administration to do this efficiently and not constantly. Just I mean, this is now like the strategy of Trump is everything is a show. Everything is dialed up to one hundred, like we're doing regime change and unconditional surrender, and the next day we're.
Speaker 1: Calling all piece It's like, what are we doing?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: In terms of it's like the reporting, is he basically on source the deportation policy to Steven Miller.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, but then also he takes control of it and then there's been a five time swing back. At this point, I literally still am not clear. And so whether we're raising farms or not, and it's been twenty days of we're raiding farms. Actually, hotels and farmers need illegals to work there, let's all ruminate on that for a second two as to why that's apparently an allowable reason. Then Steven Miller is like, no, actually we're going to be rating them, and then Trump comes out as like, no, actually we're not going to be rating them. I believe we are back to some sort.
Speaker 4: Of strategic CAPLI oh no, I thought we were back on.
Speaker 3: No, we were, but then two days ago, apparently in that change. This is what I'm saying is that there's been a complete like schizophrenia here and if anything, I mean, that's what really hurts Trump's cause, is that nothing is coherent and ideologically sold. America is I think absolutely on board with criminal or illegal or criminal specifically people who have committed crimes, but they've done a bad job. I think of messaging, specifically on the labor issue, especially when the President is out there talking about how these farmers and hotel workers literally need illegal labor to function I mean again, just it boggles the mind that a segment of industry cannot function without hiring a US citizen. It's absurd, And why would an American president endorse that? If that's actually the case, that's your job to fix. So, you know, I think that's the problem though, is these constantly got these rich people in his ear, you know, talking his head off about how, oh, we can't do that without doing all of this. And it actually drives me particularly crazy because one of JD's canned speeches on the campaign trail I probably heard this like fifty times, is about a hotel executive telling him about how he can't run his hotels at a profit without using illegal ban work. And so then the president is now parroting that same the thing is at the podium.
Speaker 4: But the president is that no executive.
Speaker 1: That's really my point.
Speaker 2: I mean here, But I mean, here's the thing is, I do actually want to fight with you, but we don't have time to fight fully on this today because there's we got Emily waiting, that we got Professor Sachs. I will just say, I think where the confusion comes from is that Trump aggressively sold the idea on the campaign trail that undocumented immigrants overall were criminal, that there was a huge number millions of criminals who had flooded the country in an invasion. Oh my god, they're taking over entire time. Oh my god, they're taking over entire apartment complexes.
Speaker 4: And so I think.
Speaker 2: That's where a lot of people, not just your Wogan, probably got the idea of like, oh, mass deportation, we can do a mass deportation that is just criminals, when in reality the numbers are comparatively small of actual like violent criminals who are also undocumented immigrants.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying there aren't any.
Speaker 2: But you really get the sense of that when the guys they shipped off to Seacott to a literal slave labor camp for the rest of their lives with no due process, when the mass majority, even of them, had no criminal record here or in other countries around the world. So I think that's where, you know, not only was their confusion about what mass deportation would ultimately mean, but also where there has been and significant yes, immigration is still the strongest policy is now underwater on his strongest policy, though, where there's been significant upset in the way that this has gone forward because yes, if you ask people, should we deport criminal illegal alience, you'll get like eighty nine percent, right, including myself, Sure, yes, go do it. If you ask them about you know, the person that Rogan or Andrew are talking about there that have been like here for years and years and they don't commit any crimes and they pay tax, they do.
Speaker 4: The right thing.
Speaker 2: Should you report them? It's actually the polar opposite. You get almost eighty percent opposed to the deportation of those people. And so I think that's why you've had a decline and support and why you've had you know, some people, some former supporters who are expressing concern over this and why. I think it was an overreading of the mandate that yes, I don't know. I'm not downplaying that immigration was an important factor. I'm not downplaying there was, you know, rejection of the of Biden eraror immigration policies. But I think the reading was that then people wanted the Stephen Miller deportation policy when that is not actually popular either.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you also could say that they have their last second term and now they don't have to get reelected. So if in a sense they're like, look this is the only chance that you actually have at literal mass deportation. Again, we don't have time to fight. But you know, if it's twenty million in the future, we know one percent and twenty million is it's two hundred thousand, So that's actually a lot of people, even if just one percent are people who are violent criminals, which would I mean, even the shit libs will admit that that's a big number, I think, and that has not yet reached for what in terms of the deportation numbers that have been.
Speaker 4: Released, so they're also not targeting those people.
Speaker 2: You know, it's the percent of immigrants who are detained who have criminal records is way down under the Trump administration.
Speaker 4: No, it's not.
Speaker 2: It's like ten percent, so violent criminal records, it's roughly tender. According to a new Cato Institute said study.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, yeah, that's good.
Speaker 4: But I don't think anyone wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I don't think that anyone would deny that there has been a reduction in the percentage of people who have been in pain. Stephen Miller's policy went in and yelled at I was like, why are you going after criminals?
Speaker 4: Go to the home depot? So that I mean that is his that is his policy.
Speaker 3: I will grant part of it is about the larger number. I'm not trusting a literal libertarian Open Borders Institute number study for that, and I would like to I'm not trusting the government either.
Speaker 1: So let's also say that.
Speaker 3: And I'm not going to deny that there have been major problems I think on the Trump administration's end. However, at a narrative level victory, how will Trump fare on immigration? I think that the more that it is literally that, the more that it is about order specifically, which is really what I think he was elected to restore, the better off he will be part of the reason. I thought that LA really did not go well for him, and I think a lot of the polling broadly backs that up to the style of the government was kind of part of what instigating more disorder than order. That's broadly what America really wants in terms of its crime and its immigration policy. And that is really the eternal fight and large, I mean where the people suffer. Biden suffered because you led eight to ten million people illegally in the country, which is nuts, with literally no policy. And if Trump suffers, it will be because it deported people with no due process, and it's shoddy and shitty, you know, obvious lies from the government, and people would see through them and be like, okay, well, you know, even though I was on board, this doesn't look like restorant order to me, so to you know, for my personal criticism of them and all that, it's the constant chaos as it is throughout the implementation of all of their policy, which actually undermines any real stated goal and broadly will lead to pushback, I think from the American people. And that's part of what these guys are picking up on as well when they say home depot I don't think it's actually physically just about the home depot rate. I think it's about the fact that, like you said about the Stephen Miller thing, being like, oh.
Speaker 4: Actually no, go in there and go against yeah, home dealer, get the credit.
Speaker 3: Look, we're going from this, and it's the schizophrenia actually which makes people really react in a certain way. But anyway we have.
Speaker 1: We really need to get to her apologize. All right, let's get to it.
Speaker 3: We're very excited, how to be joined by our very own Emily Jishinski, who is also the host of a new show called After Party with Emily. You truly are the Marco Rubio of podcasting. You have all these different shows, You're working.
Speaker 4: For it on your behalfly you know.
Speaker 1: No, I mean it's it's a compliment.
Speaker 3: It's a compliment for the ability to very, you know, competently hold all these hats. But Emily, you debuted your new show with a major interview with Tucker Carlson could literally not have been newsyear. We pulled a clip from it, and then we want to get your reaction. So let's take a clik Listen.
Speaker 8: Ted Cruise is already taking a victory lap. He says, quote it turns out that Tucker was wrong. I just want to get your thoughts on this. Tucker, did Trump prove you and all of us who doubted the wisdom of this strike wrong tonight?
Speaker 9: Well you could ask Trump, I mean, was this fraught with like existential peril? Of course, I'm so grateful that he brought it in for a landing. I mean, I think we should be grateful to him. I think we should be grateful to God. I think we should understand how close we came. But I also think we should step back and ponder what we've learned. And what we've learned is who cares about the fortunes of the United States and who doesn't? And Ted Creuse doesn't obviously, the people who acknowledged no risk at all because they were so focused on helping other country, like Ted Cruz or like you know, the many people who revealed themselves in the last two weeks, Mark Levin chief among them, Like, those people should not have any access to power at all. Those people roll the dice with your life and with the lives of your children. It's disgusting. And so I mean, just ask yourself, is is Mark Levin concerned it all about the United States?
Speaker 6: Like at all?
Speaker 9: And the answer is no. Mark Levin is a repulsive ghoul whose entire sex life consists of watching other people get blown up. He was upset that there was a ceasefire and said, so, how could you be upset with a ceasefire? How could you be upset that people are no longer dying? By the way, I think this seasfire Israel. We have no idea where anything goes in life. That's up to God. But as of right now, it's absolutely real and we should be thankful for it. And so if your first instinct is this is bad, then you've just told us who you are. And look, that's between Mark Levin and God. And I think it's going to be a tough conversation. But for our purposes, you know, Mark Levin should not have access to power. I mean, he almost pushed the President of the United States into a path that would have destroyed the presidency and the United States.
Speaker 8: Why do you think the Mark Levin's of the world didn't get what they wanted in this case, at least as of right now.
Speaker 1: Because the President Trump doesn't want nuclear war.
Speaker 9: I mean, as he said a million times, like he doesn't want Ron to have the bomb because he doesn't want more bombs, because he's afraid of nuclear war, because he understands what it is. I've talked to him about this on and off camera many times, and he has unique among world leaders, like an instinctive aversion to killing millions of people in seconds. And so he's tried about nuclear awards. The reason Telsea Gabbard supported him is the reason they hit Telsea Gabbard now because she raises the actual, the very real specter of mass annihilation.
Speaker 3: So did what were your broad takeaways considering how newsy it was. You're reacting in the middle of the ceasefire. A lot of people were going after Tucker saying his predictions were wrong and all that. So you had a lot more in that interview. What were your main takeaways here?
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, I mean, I think that point is really crucial. His predictions were wrong. But where he goes from there he admits, I mean, in our conversation, he admits that he was I guess technically wrong. He says that Iran would not have come to the table without Donald Trump's decision to make those strikes. That's one of the ones one of the questions that I put to him. I was curious what he would make of that, as someone who was kind of cheering this apparent piece deal.
Speaker 6: We'll see, as Trump said.
Speaker 8: Like an hour ago, Israel and Iran don't know what the fuck they're doing, so who knows where this goes. But Tucker basically was saying even then, the probability of catastrophe was so high that Trump was being pushed to as he saw it being pushed, Which is interesting too, to flirt with disaster, to flirt with utter catastrophe by people like Mark Levin, whose sex life we talked about more than I expected. I expect you to talk about it a little bit, but not quite that much.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 8: And so when you so, that's I think the you can call it cope. But it's also like hey to be paranoid in the face of like thousands of people potentially dying, which is what he predicted, and by the way, I maintain, I think all of us maintained very easily could have been the outcome of those strikes. And Iran sorry, I'm apologized for being a little bit paranoid about that scenario. And that's where he seems to have landed well.
Speaker 2: I also, I mean the point about he always shields Trump, I think is an important one. You know, it's always Mark Levin's fault, it's Ted Cruz's fault. And thank god we have Trump in there, who actually cares about avoiding nuclear war. I mean that also, I think leads him to have to accept the Trump framing that this brought around to the table, when, of course we know the truth is Ron was at the table when we helped the Israelis literally blow up our own negotiations, which appear to have some prospect of success, So I think I think that's significant. Obviously, I enjoyed watching him call Mark Levin and Ted.
Speaker 4: Kruz repulsive ghouls. We have more on Ted Kruz.
Speaker 2: By the way, because he wasn't done with him and you know, had some interesting comments about him and also about Goza. Let's go ahead and take a listen to that.
Speaker 9: I've got nothing against Ted Cruz personally. I feel sorry for Ted Cruz obviously a totally hollow person taking instructions. But I do think we learned this is not someone who should be influencing wars because he just doesn't know anything, he doesn't care, and he's not putting America's interests anywhere near the top of his priorities. And that's you know that, Like we saw that. It's on tape and it's kind of hard to unsee it. So this is the moment to just draw a line and say, we can have all kinds of disagreements, and I'm sure that we will over all kinds of things, including wars. But if you've shown that you just don't care what happens to the United States, if you're one of the people who said, you know, the people in Gaza are so dangerous that they have to be expelled from Gaza. And by the way, maybe we should move them to the US. People said that. I think Ben Shapiro said that if you are telling me that the people who live in Gaza are so evil that they can't live where they were born, they have to move somewhere else, and oh, by the way, they should move to my country. What are you saying. You're saying that your country is a trash can into which we can throw our refuse And that's their attitude.
Speaker 2: So totally hollow person taking instructions but nothing personal. Ted Kruz there, and he also went after Laura Lumer. I mean, he really went down the list of like, you know, people who he saw as being complete and total enemies at this point.
Speaker 8: He made it Dave Smith joke too, And after he did that, he was like, I hadn't been there. And after he did that, I was like, what we we're playing like Tucker Enemy bingo, Like I have bingo at this point, Like we've gone through everyone.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he also.
Speaker 8: Mentioned I asked him if he'd talked to Trump in the last couple of days since their sort of back and forth last week, where Trump said something like maybe Tucker should get a cable in the show, like a great boomer insults at Tucker so that people actually know what he's saying. But they talked, and so Tucker said that he had talked to Trump in the last couple of days, and then he repeated the line that the good guy is won this time. And that's really interesting to me because it sounds like Tucker and Steve Bannon feel as though their interventions over the weekend saved Trump from going into regime change mode. And I don't know how accurate that is because it's just really hard to say what happened, but they seem to think that they were lobbying against the Lindsay Graham, Mark Levin, and Mark Levin is indeed still calling for Trump to push Iran to sign a document of unconditional surrender, whatever that actually means. And so there's still risk here that Donald Trump. It's like, as Soccer says Versailles, I mean, this is truly what we're learning. Not that we couldn't have predicted that, but that's what we're learning right now. So that means there's still I think there's still very real risk going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it is interesting in terms of what you were saying about the lobbying, I do agree. I mean, it's probably overstated to a certain extent, but to say it had zero influence, it's just obviously not true. What I actually find more interesting is the war that's happening right now. Like you said, there really is just a split completely on the Israel question at this point against Tucker Carlson. I mean, you know, Dave Rubin, you have multiple like Benchpiro and others, like I mean, I guess you know, it's not like Tucker's been silent on them either, and going back now probably a couple of years, but I don't think it's ever been so like outright and in the open. And it is interesting that he doesn't seem actually all that interested in making peace per se and is really just like no, like fuck you actually, what do you make of that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 8: No, I mean I think that's this is one of the most important political consequences of all of this is Mega is over. And that sounds dramatic, But uh, if this, like this peace deal is sort of tenuous alleged piece deal, we still have to see what happens is tenuous, but Marjorie Taylor, Green, Tucker Carlson are never going to be able to like just agree to disagree with the Dave Rubins and Ben Shapiro's ever again. And does that mean MEGA is over well? From my perspective, yeah, I mean I think that actually is a permanent schism in the coalition. And the other thing that we've seen over the course of last week is that Trump violates what I call a load bearing column of MAGA, which is anti interventionism. It's not just like another thing that comes with the bundle. It's a load bearing column. As so what holds up this coalition when he violates that? People are Bannon Tucker, They're willing to go against him. Maybe Talsei wasn't, but they, like people on the outside, are willing to go against him. Now. Of course, as we've been talking about, they feel like they won. I kind of asked Tucker at one point in our conversation, you know, like it I heard the reporting that Trump was watching Fox News and was really swayed by how impressive the images of the Israelis were. And Tucker said he thinks that's true too. And this is coming from somebody who talked to Trump in the last couple of days. So there's something I think that's really was lost for MAGA in all of this. And the question is how serious that is, But it's it's there. I mean, it's a scar for sure.
Speaker 2: But you know, Emily, I hear what you're saying on that at the sort of influence level. But first of all, you already had Tucker number disputed that he called Trump to apologize Bannon before any of this was resolved. Came out and said, listen, at the end of the day, we're going to follow We're going to just trust in Trump and believe that if he does something we don't want him to, he had intelligence that we didn't see, and we just know it's going to be the right decision.
Speaker 4: And I was looking at the polling from you goov.
Speaker 2: Before the bombing, fifty three percent of Republicans opposed it and only twenty three percent supported it. After Trump decides he's going to bomb completely flips, then you only have twelve percent twelve percent who oppose it in sixty nine percent who approve. So to me, that proves the point that Trump was making of like I am America first, I get to say, what is America first, because at the end of the day, he knows whatever decision he makes, his maybe not every influencer, but his base are going to go along. And you know, I guarantee you too that And we already saw it with Bannon, and you know, Tucker didn't say as much, but certainly with Bannon, God Charlie Kirk. Once Trump decided we are going to bomb these nuclear sites, then the goalposts were moved again. And then it was, oh, well, you know, we'll make sure it's not a regime change, will make sure it's not boots on the ground, and a lot of efforts but justifying the decision after the fact, even as they had originally expressed skepticism and discontent with that potential direction.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I think what they would say is they were the ones who prevented it from becoming a regime change operation. So they feel like they won in some sense, even though Trump actually like ordered the strikes, which is why I asked talker, well, would this have happened, I mean, this thing that we're holding up as a victory right now, would this have happened without the strikes in the first place? And he conceded, probably not so I think the polling is really interesting on that too, Crystal, he could nuke someone. Trump could nuke someone on Fifth Avenue and yes, still not lose any here. But yeah, I think for the sort of average voter, there's a level of trust and Trump is still the glue that holds MAGA together. But professional MAGA that's I mean, to whatever extent that's important. It's probably not electorally important, but the groups that like hold the conferences and do all of that, like professional MAGA Beltway stuff, I think this is a real schism for them, and that that could be more or less important.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: As a content creator. To me, it's very important.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, i'll put it. I'll put it this way.
Speaker 3: As the polling showed, these people are going to go along with Trump no matter what.
Speaker 1: So I said this earlier. This is a game of elites.
Speaker 3: This is literally a Washington game as to if they're going to go along no matter what, then we should just do what we think is right at a policy level and then let them follow. So if Trump, you know, Trump is now calling for a world peace while you and I are talking, he just is saying he's going to remove sanctions on China buying oil from Iran, but the NEOs are going to lose it over that one. That's a multi billion dollar check going into the Iranian bank accounts. I mean, now he's saying, God bless you Ron. Like my point, they will go along with it, you know, no matter what he does. So the point then is actually, these factions and all of this stuff, it does kind of matter because that's what's influencing stuff at the very highest level inside a White House, in the National Security Council, at a staff level, right, you know of what these people are all reading. But yeah, anything else you want to get into before you go. I thought it was a great interview.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great job that way, And I told you I did not envy you. Having to do that.
Speaker 2: Interview is very consequential at a time when we were all like, what the fuck is actually happening right now?
Speaker 4: So good job with that.
Speaker 8: No, it was overwhelming, and it was booked last week before all of this happened, so it turned out to be great time. But yeah, I just wanted to thank you guys for being so supportive and having me here. I appreciate you guys a ton.
Speaker 3: All right, everybody go subscribe links down in the description, et cetera.
Speaker 1: We'll see you later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll see you later.
Speaker 1: No, I'll see sorry last night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you and I have a date, right.
Speaker 3: Guys in late nights at ten pm? Did you come up with that time? Where does it come from?
Speaker 8: I'm a night owl.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we got from your producer like, oh, can you guys come on?
Speaker 4: I'm like, what the Yeah, yes, I.
Speaker 2: Will do it free tape, But you are it is a sacrifice.
Speaker 4: I'm just going to tell.
Speaker 1: You that I understand.
Speaker 4: Congratulation, all right, I see you later.
Speaker 3: Joining us now is Professor Jeffrey Sachs at Columbia University and expert and somebody we wanted to speak with for quite a long time. So Stir, thank you so much for joining us. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Great to be with you. Thank you absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, first, let's just start off with the insanity of the last twenty four hours. I know you've been monitoring quote the situation as all of us have, and we just want to get your reaction to the broader ramifications of this cease fire, at least for now between Israel and Iran and the role here of the United States.
Speaker 10: Well, this has been absolutely why week. In a way, it is BB's fulfillment of a thirty year mission to try to drag the United States into a war with Iran. This latest episode has been part of a long term idea of net Yahu, which is we're going to do what we want in Gaza, the West Bank. We're going to control everything, will kill, will have a genocide, and anyone that objects any other country in the region will will overthrow that government. That's been the basic strategy for thirty years. For thirty years, the United States has gone along with that strategy, whether it is in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Soudan, Libya, and Iran was always the big prize. So NETNA has been absolutely itching for a big war with Iran, trying to drag the US in. And what we saw last week probably was the great battle inside between the Deep State, which is absolutely in line with Mossad. It's basically a Masad Cia operation for thirty years, and Maga, which has stopped. We're sick of this, We're sick of these wars. The President, I don't know where he is because I haven't checked my social media for the last thirty seconds. But he's been on both sides of this, but his base has been saying do not do this, do not do this, whereas NATO has been saying next year in Tehran or his ministers have been putting that out in disgusting vulgarity. So I don't know whether this is going to stop. But this is a battle of a long term strategy of NATNYA who remake the Middle East, to give basically complete total impunity to Israel to do every murder, massacre, genocide that it wants to do. And some of us who think that's not making the world a better place, Yeah, that's not helping anything, and it's not making America more secure. Thanks God. If this cease fire holds, that's a good thing. That's the bottom line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, professor, let's pull on thread a little bit more of the Israelis. As you mentioned, this has been a multi decade project of not Yaho specifically, but it's broadly supported with the Israeli public and certainly with his entire coalition, including literal terrorists that are involved in his government. So he's not going to give up and just say Okay, sees fire and now we have peace. With a rod that is certainly not going to happen. So what do you expect to see based on previous historical actions from the Israelis, what do you expect the Israelis to do next to try to play their next card to get as draw on in yet again.
Speaker 10: Well, the Israelis will make new provocations, that's for sure. They will make arguments that now we see the perfidy of Iran or for whatever argument to keep drawing us in. I have said for years, i think decades now, that the main job of the president of the United States in modern times is to keep the foot on the break of the war machine, because it's always revving. If you went to the deep State in the last few days, I think bombing missions against Iran are just splendid. Let's try out those b two's, let's see how the bunker busters do. And going beyond that, the regime change. Well, that was in half the tweets of the last or social truth posts of the last few days. So I think that Israel will provoke, and it is the job of the United States when in rare moments, presidents do their job to keep the foot on the break. And this morning, Trump unusually chastised Israel in a post saying, do not drop that bomb. Well, actually that's his job. It's pretty interesting he did it this time. Yesterday was different. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Speaker 3: So one of the things I'm curious about, stir You're obviously always looked at the bigger picture, and there was a lot made potentially of Russia and China coming in on Iran's side that didn't materialize to a major extent, but there were at least some entanglements. We can put this one up on the screen. For example, President of former President Medyeviev of Russia at one point basically threatened, you know, basically said, the Americans have accomplished nothing in their strikes.
Speaker 1: Potentially we could transfer nukes to them.
Speaker 3: He walked it back a little bit later, saying a number of countries are ready to directly supply Iran with their own nuclear warheads.
Speaker 1: But then he walked it back later.
Speaker 3: What do you make though of how the Russians and the Chinese respond to what's transpired in the last twelve days.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think, by the way, what Medvedev was saying in that point number three was not Russia transferring nuclear arms or endorsing that. But the fact that Pakistan is a country closely aligned with the Islamic cause obviously and with Iran, and absolutely able to transfer nuclear weapons North Korea is another case. And I think that's an important point, by the way, because we've been told that the be all and end all is Iran's enrichment of uranium. That is not the true issue at stake here. The true issue at steak is Israel vulnerable by its own actions to a nuclear attack on Israel. The answer is yes, does Israel create more security for itself the way that it operates, answer is no, it makes Israel more and more dangerous. Not only did we see obviously that the Iron Dome ain't so iron and that there were easily it was not hard to penetrate the air defenses in Israel, but Israel seems to think that Iran is the end of the story, and it is not the end of the story. There are fifty seven countries in the Organization of Islamic Cooperation that are absolutely dead set against what Israel is doing. The vast majority of the world is dead set against it. When you ask about Russia and China, it is their fundamental purpose not to be thrown under the bus of the United States. This is the basic point. They want a multipolar world, not a US dominated world, and they are succeeding in that because the US does not have the means, the power, in my view, the interest. But put that aside, the means or the power to make a US dominated world, despite what Washington has believed for more than thirty years. So Russia and China are careful. China is very precise. I think it is. It's a cliche, but it's also true that Russia plays chess, China plays go, and the United States plays poker, one hand at a time, very quick, not any long term strategy, just to go for the hand. And I think that China and Russia bided their time in the first days. But the point was really Iran was not decapitated and with regime change, nor was it stopped in its ability to do great damage inside Israel up until the very last moment, which really irks the Israelis that it was the last exchange of missiles in this case was Iran's, and then Israel tried to violate the timeline and launch another one so it could be last, and that's when Trump said, no, stop. We already have an understanding about the chronology. So we are watching step by step the emerging of a true multipolar world where other powers that don't love the United States, they don't hate it, by the way, they just don't want to be subservient to it. They have nuclear arms, powerful weapons, the technologies that we have so that we can't dominate. And Iran is a regional power. It's not a pushover for Israel by any means. There was no one strike and it's all over one of the things that may have happened last week. I don't know, of course, but net Yau, you know, telling Trump, we can do it, we can do we can do it. And they did their decapitation murder's Masad really is a murder machine, of course, and it did its decapitation strike, and it did not bring down the regime. And so it probably led Trump and people around him to say, come on, what you know, the Israelis have given us a bunch of bs on this. It didn't change the regime, it didn't and the threats, and I think that's when Trump heard his base calling, he heard common sense calling, and he said look, this isn't going according to plan. And I think the main point is with Russia and China they were cautious, but they weren't letting Iran fall by any means. And if Iran were to be facing a more cataclysmic set of events in the last few days, I think the reactions also would have been different.
Speaker 2: Interesting to your point about perhaps Israelis were selling and perhaps they even believed that they would be able to, you know, create a regime collapse in short time. The Washing Post got a hold of this leaked audio of Masad agents calling Israeli generals and saying, you have twelve hours or else we're going to murder you and your wife and kids. By the way, and if you want to avoid that fate, you need to record yourself surrendering. You need to film this surrender video and send it to us, which of course would have been used as propaganda by the Israelis, And as best we know, not one of them did that, which I think you know, in and of itself is an indication that they may have miscalculated the strength of this regime, especially once a country is bombed like it's very common for people to rally around the flag. But I wanted to ask you with regards to Israel. So they have bombed, you know, they're committing a genocide in Palestine in the Gaza Strip, they bomb Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, Ron, Iraq, and are a nuclear.
Speaker 4: Armed nation out side of the NPT.
Speaker 2: You know, did have a secret nuclear weapons program, and you know, are a rogue nation. I think by any characterization at this point, is there going to be any consequence for them, Like, is there any sort of longer term consequence for.
Speaker 4: The fact that they have behaved in this.
Speaker 2: Outrageous, barbaric fashion over years at this point and you know, really made themselves a villain in terms of the eyes of much of the world.
Speaker 10: I think Israel is in its worst insecurity in its history by far, because it is utterly isolated in the international system. I'm sitting just outside the UN. I've been attending UN Security Council meetings, you own in General Assembly sessions. You have a ninety five percent of the world population voting against Israel right now. You have an overwhelming call for the absolutely practical state of Palestine being established on the borders of the fourth of June nineteen sixty seven and Israel learning finally, after decades and decades, it's just going to have to live alongside the Palestinian people, who have the same number population as the Israeli Jews. And this is the most basic point of all. Israel has no security from all of this. It has achieved nothing except to wasteland in its neighborhood. And if it wants security, the only security is to rejoin the Family of Nations. And the way to do that is straightforward. It's according to international law, it's according to basic common sense, it's according to decency, it's according to endless resolutions of the US Security Council and the UN General Assembly, and that is that there would be a state of Palestine for the Palestinian people alongside a state of Israel. And President Trump actually can make that happen if he wants his Nobel Peace Prize. It's not by this ceasefire after this behavior of the last week. It is by a Palestinian state being established. How does that happen? One vote change in the UN Security Council. The US vetoed this last year when it came to a vote in the Security Council, which is the part of the UN system. Or the international system that establishes the statehood membership in the UN. All the United States has to do is to say we go along with all the rest of the world and tell Israel, wake up, we're saving you. We're not hurting you, we are saving you from yourself. However, it's just crazy what Israel's doing and the idea that this is any security. I think they should understand that with apartment buildings in Versheva being destroyed, with Haifa being attacked, with Tel Aviv being attacked, with the countries outside of the region like Pakistan and DPRK watching, if Israel thinks it has any security at all from its brazenness, it should think again. And by the way, what we saw in the Mosad tape, which is chilling of course to listen to, is that Mossad became a killing machine. It's very skillful at mass and murder. I would say, not mass murder in the sense that the murder of the leadership of the Iranian military last week. Yes, that's Mosad's business. But to have that as your centerpiece of statehood, to be murder incorporated is not going to get you safety or security or any sound sleep any day.
Speaker 6: In your in your life.
Speaker 10: Israel needs to rethink fundament mentally this BB strategy, which goes back to nineteen ninety six when he first became Prime Minister.
Speaker 2: And I think to your point, they're not going to rethink it because the public is broadly supportive of the BB strategy. It has to be forced upon them, and the United States of America can do that if there is any will to do it.
Speaker 10: It depends always, it has always depended on the United States going along. By the way, people should get online if they haven't done it recently. And look at Natya Who's speech to the US Congress in two thousand and two telling him how wonderful the Iraq war is going to be. Oh, it's a cakewalk. It's it's going to inspire the whole region. This man is nuts. He's a failure for thirty years. He's the biggest warmonger on the planet. If Trump wants a successful presidency, don't sign on to this idiocy. Do your job, mister president. Make peace in the region that has to be you give the State of Palestine along side of the State of Israel, stop the genocide, and go along with international law.
Speaker 6: It's pretty straightforward. It's there for the taking.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, sir, we always appreciate your analysis. It was great talking to you. Thank you very much for joining us.
Speaker 6: Thank you for pleasure to be with you.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thanks so much for watching, guys, We appreciate it. Crystal and Emily on the live stream, and then Griffin and Ryan from New York City covering the mayoral race tonight, so make sure you tune in for that and we will see you all later.