Speaker 1: Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, as designed by William Flynn in nineteen thirty one, is one of the greatest golf courses in the world, and today we're going deep on it. I'm Garrett Morrison, and this is designing.
Speaker 2: Golf, all right.
Speaker 1: Later in this episode, I'm going to bring on the golf historian Bob Crosby, and we're going to talk about the early history of the design at Shinnecock Hills. Basically, the course went through a few different very interesting iterations before it's settled on its current form, and I would argue, Bob would argue that the story of Shinnacock in its early years was basically the story of American golf architecture. So we'll get into all of that in the second half of the episode with Bob Crosby. But the first thing I want to talk about is what makes Shinnacock Hills golf course. And it is a really great golf course. But that's not because it is hosted US opens, or because it's difficult, or because it's an exclusive club. It's because there are qualities inherent to its land, design and presentation that make it great. So in this episode, We're going to go through six big factors that explain why we love Shinnakok Hills. And to help me do that, I've brought on my Friday Golf colleague, Matt Rusius. Matt how's gone.
Speaker 3: Doing well, doing well, Just gearing up for a trip to Ireland in a few days, so talking American Links golf is fitting absolutely.
Speaker 1: Where are you going in Ireland?
Speaker 3: I'll be headed to the southwest side, so making stops at places cycle hinch Belly, Bunyon, Waterville, dune Bag. So really looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: Not bad courses. I'm actually going to Northwest Ireland in a few days for a Friday Golf club trip. So it's work, but it's obviously going to be very fun as well. So we're both setting off for Ireland very soon. First we're talking about Hinnacock Hills, which is actually you know, if you're looking for a course in the US that resembles somewhat in Irish Links, Hinnacock Hills might not be a million miles away. So first of all, some basics on the golf course. The club was founded in eighteen ninety one by some very well off New Yorkers, including a member of the Vanderbilt family. Of course, it was one of the first movers in American golf, so it claims to be the oldest incorporated golf club in the US and to have the oldest dedicated golf clubhouse in the US. The clubhouse was built in eighteen ninety two. As I've mentioned, I'll talk more about the early development of the golf course with Bob Crosby later in this episode, but basically the first twelve holes were constructed in eighteen ninety one. The first eighteen was completed in eighteen ninety five. About twenty years later, CB McDonald and Seth Rayner revised the course, but all of those versions of Shinnecock Hills are now gone because in the late nineteen twenties the club purchased new land and hired William Flynn to build a new course in that course, which is basically today's Shinnecock Hills. Opened in nineteen thirty one. Shinnecock hosted its first US Open in eighteen ninety six. This is now recognized as the second ever US Open, and that was obviously played over the earliest version of the eighteen hole course, so pre McDonald, pre Flynn really didn't resemble today's course at all, and then the club didn't host another US Open for the next ninety years. Basically, it came back in nineteen eighty six. Ever since then it has staged a US Open about every decade, so nineteen ninety five, two thousand and four, twenty eighteen, and of course this year twenty twenty six. So if rankings mean anything to you, shinnakaka Is is consistently ranked as a top five golf course in the US. It's up there with with Cyprus and Pine Valley and Augusta. You know, pretty much everybody agrees that it belongs in that top tier. And over the past few decades the club has done a lot of good work to maintain that reputation. They've they've removed thousands of trees to reinstate the property's essential Lynksland character, and they've worked with Corn Crenshaw over the past twelve years or so to bring back certain details of William Flynn's design. But on the whole, the course was pretty well preserved over time. Aside from you know, tree pl planting and mowing lines, it really never strayed too far from its roots. So those are the basics. Let's get into the six factors that make Shinnecock Hills a great golf course. In our opinion, at least, the first big factor has to be the land. The property sits pretty near the eastern tip of Long Island, right between the Great Peconic Bay to the north and the Atlantic Ocean to the south. It consists essentially of glacial outwash. A bunch of sand came in from the glaciers and was deposited in this spot and kind of blown into these dramatic, undulating configurations. It's Lynx land effectively. I would say it's one of the purest lynx land of properties you'll find in the US. Those certain parts of it have a little more clay than others. So what do you make of the of the land at Chinnacock.
Speaker 3: I think the thing that makes the land so great is how it's almost uniformly good. The quality of the land is so uniformly good across the entire site. Now, while I'm saying that there are very much more dramatic sections of the land, I feel like, in a general sense kind of the closer you get to the clubhouse, the more dramatic the dunes are there's kind of a huge main ridge line that the clubhouse sits up on, and it kind of follows that. I believe it's the Tuckahoe Road, which kind of goes between the fourteenth hole and the thirteenth hole, so there's a kind of a massive ridge line there, and then another massive ridge line that kind of goes along the tenth hole and the eleventh green sits on top of. So really that section kind of to the right of the clubhouse if you're looking out over the course and like kind of the beginning in the back nine is some of the most ramatic terrain and it's very very undulating, which produces these kind of truly one of a kind of golf holes. And then the closer you get towards kind of the bay to the north, the land starts to mellow out. But while I say that, like it does mellow out, it gets flatter, but it's still tremendous golfing ground with lots of intricissies, good roles and contours and the fairways that kind of great strategy and interest on a lot of those holes, but maybe just a little bit less eye catching and less dramatic kind of the further away you get from the clubhouse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say there are actually three sections of terrain at Shinnacock that I could identify. You've talked about the two main ones, which are the very dramatic highlands, which basically holds nine through fifteen and eighteen occupy this big ridge that Tuckahoe Road goes over that the clubhouse is built on top of.
Speaker 2: All of these.
Speaker 1: Holes play kind of most of them play along the side of that ridge, right, are kind of clinging to the edge of it. Some play up on top of it, and you know, this is obviously the best land at Shittacock. Then you have the lowland section which you're describing, still good still you know, some contour, but not nearly as impressive as the other land. And in fact some sections of it are almost dead flat. But those sections are generally not used for golf holes. That's really striking how you look at the holes themselves, and most of the holes in that lower section of the property, the flatter section, do have you know, some good role to them, whereas if you look just to the side of the fairway it might be completely flat. So obviously Flynn was able to find the best sections of that slightly inferior section of the prom but basically this is where it holds four through eight and sixteen through seventeen are right. Then I think there's a third section which is these softly rolling midlands right which have a little bit more elevation change to them, and that to me is the first three holes. The first hole tease off from the ridge obviously, but I think most of the hole sits in this in this kind of more broadly moving area of the property, because it's not to me, those first three holes don't really occupy the lowlands. They're they're not as flat as that, but it's also not highlight it's not it's not the you know, super chaotic stuff either, and that's the section of the property. Interestingly, that's closest to National Golf Links. National Golf Links is right next door to that, and if you're familiar with those holes at the kind of turn of the out and back configuration of National Golf Links, then you kind of know what this land is like where there's elevation change and there's there's some undulation, but it's very broad slopes. So there are some holes at Chinnecock that occupy that as well. But yeah, so you have these you have these different sections of the property and all all of the sections of the property have something going for them, right, and good land is found within them, right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think another thing that's kind of interesting to look at is on the flatter terrain you get a lot more bunkering and these kind of more expansive sandy waste areas. If you just pull up Google Earth and quickly glance at it, like you can kind of see there's this almost diagonal effect across the property is more sand up on the top left corner and a little bit less and smaller bunkers towards the more dramatic land. So it's really cool to see how Finns able to really maximize the use on the best land and then maybe have a little bit more built features kind of guiding the strategy on the lamb that's slightly less interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah. And also the greens are much more built up and manufactured the less dramatic parts of the property. Think of the Seventh Green is the most obvious example of that, where it's just you know, it kind of sits on a nothing green site. There's not much there to tie into. You know, if you look to the right of the seventh green, there there is a nice swale there that the green kind of ties into visually at least, but mostly it just sits on sits on a flat stretch of ground. But that green is so severely built up it really stands out among the other holes at Shinnecock. And if you look at the greens for five and six as well, on those flatter sections of the property, those are pretty dramatic too. So it's obvious that Flynn turned up the dial a little bit when he was given ground that wasn't giving him quite as much. So very well executed design in that way. The fundamentals are there, all right. The second big factor that I want to talk about is the elements, especially the wind in relation to William Flynn's routing. So the summer wind at Shinnecock comes out of the kind of south southwest part of the compass. A good way to orient yourself with the map of the course is to look at the fifth hole and remember that the fifth hole plays basically directly downwind, So that's the that's the wind direction at Shinnacock, and the routing is really built for that specific wind direction. It was It's obvious that William Flynn had that wind direction in mind when he built the course. Apparently, the winter wind is just it's kind of it's kind of miserable to play the course in it because it doesn't click together in the same way that the routing does for the summer wind. In general, the shorter par four play into the wind and the longer par fours play downwind. But the course is constantly changing direction, right. You can never settle into a groove with the wind and the way it's affecting your ball. It changes with every single shot. And this is partly because of Flynn's heavy reliance on dog leg holes, and it's also partly because he uses triangles really cleverly in this routing. So Shinnacock basically has these three groupings of three to four holes that form triangles in the routing. So look at holes four through six, ten through thirteen, and fourteen through sixteen. Each of these sequences is arranged in a big triangle, and that means that nothing is linear essentially in relation to the wind. You're never moving straight ahead from hole to hole, and you're hardly ever even moving like parallel or at right angles from hole to hole. It's always these funky triangular angles, and that's just a great test of the player's ability to adjust to the wind from shot to shot. So anything to add about the elements and the routing at Chinnaicog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you kind of noted that the triangle holes, and I know you're probably talking to Bob about this, but one thing to note about it is kind of the back nine, which was originally the front nine when Flynn designed, it was all kind of new land that they had gotten, so you get a lot of those triangles that he specifically designed, whereas the front nine he was more so adapting the old CEB McDonald course to his new kind of designs. So you only get like these two whole stretches where you have holes kind of playing in the same direction, and that's holes two and three and then seven and eight are kind of the only two holes and those are both kind of sections of the course where they kind of adapted the new William Flynn design to the old ZB McDonald design. So I find that interesting how you kind of have these two different dynamics on the front nine and back nine is where on the back nine, you're constantly changing direction, and like you said, you're never playing straight downwind. But in addition to that, none of the holes really ever play in a singular straight line. There's always a dog lag or some sort of s curve. So depending on where the tea is set up that day or where you are in the fair way, the wind can really affect your ball from multiple different directions on the same golf hole, from the tee shot to the approach shot. So there's just so much variability in the way that the holes lay in the ground that makes wind just so prevalent. And then also with the land and the wind is when you get into these big peaks and valleys you're walking along the golf course. At least when I was playing, I felt it really hard to get like a good perception of the wind and have a good confident, like I guess, understanding of how fast the wind is and where it's coming from. Holes like ten and eleven kind of show this off really well. I mean, you go down into this massive bowl towards the second half of the tenth fairway, feels like the wind dies down a lot, and then you get back up onto the green, and the wind picks up again, and the eleventh T is right behind it, But then the eleventh green is another twenty or thirty feet above you from there, so it gets really hard to judge how fast that wind is moving because it just felt like it was almost not moving at all. It picks up, and then you can only imagine how much more that wind is blowing up by the eleventh green, which is one of the highest points on the entire property. So I find that was like, at least when I was playing last fall, just judging the wind and knowing how fast it was coming from and how much it was going to affect your ball is almost constantly changing because you're moving through these is ridges and valleys throughout the routing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially on the back nine, you're really exposed to the wind, partly because you're up high on this highland section of the property. It's one of the highest points in the entire area, so you're getting the full brunt of the wind. But also a lot of the t's on the back nine are elevated. Ten is an elevated T, twelve is an elevated T. Thirteen is a very elevated T fourteen, is a very elevated T fifteen. Very so one after the other, you're hitting tea shots where you're very exposed to the wind. You're just a sitting duck for the wind on those tea shots. And that's something that is that really comes out on the back nine because on the front nine you're mostly in this lowlands action of the property. A lot of the tea's are kind of flush with the ground, and so yeah, once you get up in the air, you start to experience the wind even more. Yeah, going back to your point about the McDonald philosophy versus the Flynn philosophy of routing. McDonald, you know at National he did this at a lot of courses. McDonald would would do, you know, the kind of out and back routings. His routings tended to be a little bit more linear. Rainer certainly explored different ways of routing courses. I would not call you know, Rayner's habit of routing to make things linear, but certainly get the sense that that McDonald's version of Shinnacock, and we don't know much about McDonald's version of Shinnacock honestly was just a little bit more linear in relation to the wind than Flynn's was. And you see that even on poles two and three, which do roughly play in the same direction, but there is a little bit of turn in. I will give the routing credit in those first three holes. They all play kind of out to one section, to one corner of the property, but each of them turns a little bit, so it's not exactly the same. And then on the third hole, a very clever thing that Flynn did is that he basically just moved the tee way to the left so that the hole played on a diagonal now instead of straight ahead. And so that's one way that Flynn was, yeah, enhancing the strategy of the hole because now it's a diagonal instead of a straight ahead kind of situation. But also he varied the relationship to the wind direction by moving that tee over and kind of essentially turning the hole into a dog lake. So yeah, Flynn was obviously really thinking hard about how the wind related to the golf course. And so I would say shinecok Kills is probably one of the best designs in relation to elements and wind that there is an American. It's really cool. We're going to be on the third big aspect of Shinnecock Hills that I want to talk about, and it's somewhat related to what we just discussed, and that is the way the course is constantly playing with angles, diagonals, offsets, dog legs. Basically, this is a course that totally resists anything linear. It's remarkable, for example, how many t shots on this golf course play to a diagonal or offset fair way. And this does a couple of things. One, it poses a risk reward question. In general, if you challenge the long side of the diagonal or the inside of the dog leg, you get an advantage of both distance and angle. But also occasionally it's a fake out because it's you know, sometimes it's actually better to play to the outside of the dog leg or the outside of the diagonal, and that's specifically the case on holes eight and thirteen. The second thing that all these kind of all this diagonal movement does is that it challenges both line and distance off the tee. You can't just bash it down a certain line and say, you know, if it goes three hundred, it's fine, or if it goes three fifty it's fine. You have to be specific about matching line with distance, because otherwise you're going to run through the fairway or not get to the fairway. So how do you think about about angles and diagonals and all that kind of thing it should have gotten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think something that you didn't even touch on right there is the green angles. So many of the greens are set on very sharp angles that then enhance the strategy that you were just talking about off the tee is where you really need to get into the right positions to attack certain pins. And the way that the greens are built, like you talked about on the kind of lower lands where a lot of holes are, the greens are kind of pushed up. There's so many runoffs and rolloffs on all these greens on all the different sides. So it really does put a very strong, I guess importance on where you are in the fair way and how you're approaching these greens. And then that just gets so complicated when you throw in the wind and the constant changing winds. I think that's something we might not have touched on on the wind section. But the wind can frequently completely flip directions during the day when you're playing at Shinnacock. When we played it last fall, we had the north wind, which was kind of the unusual wind, and it just made things so much more difficult to judge. So it really is kind of the total package that enhances the angles and the diagonals and creates such a challenge when you're playing this golf course, and like you said, like a whole like sixteen, it plays relatively dead straight all the way for six hundred and twenty yards or whatever it is, but the fairway is constantly snaking its way through the landscape, and there's different bunkers kind of pushing and pulling the direction of the fairway, forcing you to kind of navigate this s curve even though the whole basically plays dead straight from tea to green. If you just drew a line, it would go right down the middle, but the fairway doesn't follow that. So there's a lot of things like that that he was able to do, which I think was somewhat a product of fitting the golf course into the landscape and finding the best place for fairways to go and bunkers to go. There's never going to really be kind of a straight linear path to take in a site that has kind of dune formations like this. But he was also able to like strategically place teas in certain areas that either create some obscurities or diagonal angles that really make you think when you're standing on the tee boxes. So it it really is kind of this total package staying where all the different little aspects, especially the six that we've picked out, all kind of feed into each other and enhanced the design in many different ways.
Speaker 1: This episode of Designing Golf is brought to you by Mobjack. Mobjack is a craft brand specializing in luxury lifestyle belts. These belts are forged from the mastery of skilled artisans who pour their expertise and care into every detail. They're handcrafted in the USA using traditional cutting and stitching leather working techniques. Mobjack belts are produced in small batches with Italian leather finished to the highest standards. Basically, what we're talking about here is a full leather backed belt with colorful woven patterns made from fade resistant materials. They have nickel plated solid brass hardware, so really high quality stuff that's not going to break down, and they're really versatile. They can be worn with golf attire and they can also be worn with business attire. They're a great alternative to the typical club logo belt when you're trying to kind of keep your logo count down. Obviously, the Burner verse would would approve, and also keep an eye out for the great Mobjack summer styles right now, including the Southampton, the Newport, and the watch Hill. So step up your style with a little bit of help from Mobjack. Go to mobjack dot com to see everything that they're offering and use the special code fried Egg for fifteen percent off. That's code fried Egg one word at mobjack dot com. All right, let's get back to the episode. Yeah, everything at Shinnacock is off kilter. That for me was the kind of keyword of going around Shinnecock. It's just off kilter. Nothing is straightforward, nothing is again to use this word linear, it's all offset, angled, diagonal. It's off kilter, tilted right. So you're you're going through the course and you're constantly dealing with this, you know, with the unexpected nature of off kilter things, and that feels very natural. It just feels like it's the landscape. But it's obviously intentional on the part of the design to constantly keep the player off balance in sixteen, which you brought up, is a great example of this. I don't know how you play it that whole. I don't know because there's so many options. It's that each landing zone has a diagonal and has hazards on on on one side or the other. And I think you probably do something different if you're if you're thinking that you're going to go for the green in two, but it's a very long hole and it's often it's often kind of you know, mostly into the wind, and so how often are you going to be going for it in two? But if you play it as a three shot hole, there are a couple of different ways to do it. Do you want to get left on your second shot to to hit into that green or do you want to go I mean, it is just it's not clear what the what the you know, prevailing or you know, dominant strategy of that hole is. You just have to make your way up it. Uh in in whatever way I think you think you'll get an advantage. But it's just you know, on different days, it might be different approaches that are that are optimal there and uh, And that's a great representation of shinnakok in general, it doesn't nothing is clear, There aren't bright lights around what the best strategy is. You just you have to kind of discover it. And that leads very nicely into the fourth factor I want to talk about here, and that is naturalism. The naturalism of this golf course, of William Flynn's design, Shinnecock just seems to respond to the land, right. It doesn't seem to be doing anything architecturally extroverted, right, It's just taking the land as it comes, and the course is highlighting using the land. But in general, I think this course represents late Golden Age naturalism at its peak. So what do you make of this aspect of Shinnacock's design.
Speaker 3: Men, I think one of the big things that I guess stands out to me in terms of naturalism and when you're playing the golf course is kind of the obscurity and the slight blindness. I'm not sure if there's anything that's really truly blind. I guess kind of the t shot on ten is pretty blind and you're kind of playing through the spectacle bunkers up on the hill there and you don't really know where you're going if you've never played there. But a whole like six was really kind of stuck out to me on first play if vividly remember Andy Johnson or coworker like talking with the caddie for several minutes trying to pick a line on where he wanted to play. And that's because you play up over this kind of slight rise and then the fairway kind of pitches down pretty severely down towards the lake that sits probably I don't know, one hundred and twenty yards in front of the green, but you can't see where the fairway's going. You can't really see the extens of the fairway lines. So just by laying the golfer over the natural landscape creates all this uncertainty on the tee and you're not exactly sure or confident where you want to play. It will start your ball and hit that golf ball. So I think that's like a big thing. But the naturalism of the golf course had an effect on me at least when playing the ninth is very similar, where you're kind of dog lagging around a kind of hill on the inside of the dog leg, and you want to hit it over that hill to get the shortest approach in there. In the best angle, but you don't really know how far it cuts around that corner. You don't know where the far lion stops around that corner. So there's a lot of things like that when you're playing that makes you feel uneasy and uncertain of exactly what you want to do. And I found that really really impactful. When you're playing the golf course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like you're just playing over a landscape, right, which is what a lot of Lynks golf feels like. And Shinnacock manages to create that impression even though the presentation the agronomy of the course is very premium. You know, it doesn't feel like you're just in a raw field. Obviously, it's much more curated than that. But on holes like five and six, especially those kind of low lying holes, the blindness of those, the kind of visual confusion of those is really something that we don't see in modern golf architecture very much. You know, there's a boldness to that that is, you know, kind of surprises you. And on both of those holes you can see the greens from the tee. The greens are kind of on rises right or even pushed up a little bit, and so you can see what the ultimate goal is, but what's in between is just this kind of tumbling low stuff that is it's not clear how to navigate it. And those holes, those holes really stick with me. I think they're brilliant golf holes, and they're on some of the lowest potential land at Shinnacok Hills. It's obvious that a lot of effort was put into the design there, but they don't feel artificial, right, They just they use what they have and use it so well that they become these these incredibly memorable golf holds. But you know, Shittacock, if you're trying to place it in the history of golf architecture, and you know, Bob Cosby and I are going to talk about this a little bit more later, it really does represent where American golf architecture got by the end of the nineteen twenties. You know, it represents that full development of this art form where architects really figured out how to make golf courses look and feel and play natural. And that was a big goal for these guys because part of what they loved about the old Links courses is that they just felt like a piece of nature. But it was so hard to create that feeling and that aesthetic on land that wasn't immediately suited to it. Now, Shittacock Hills, you have a good piece of linksland where you can do that kind of stuff. But you know, it's not Scottish links land. It's not exactly the same. You can't just start playing golf over it as soon as you walk on the property. Some architecture had to be done, but the architecture that William Flynn did is so concealed at Shinnakoka. It really does show where golf architecture developed too by the end of the nineteen twenties. Did you get that feeling? I also get this feeling from like Perry Maxwell's nineteen thirties golf courses right, and maybe some of Alistair McKenzie's late work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it certainly feels like a very well thought out and complete golf course. And one thing I really found myself admiring about Shindacock Hills is just the ability of Flynn to use the natural landscape to kind of derive strategy on a lot of holes and create consequences. One perfect example is on the third hole in the landing zone of fairway. There's this massive bowl that kind of is scooped out of the fairway, but it was a natural hollow there, and he set up the tee where you're basically driving straight towards this giant hollow that kind of feeds down into the bunkers on the right side of the fairway, and it's just like a brilliant way to make a really wide fairway essentially a lot smaller, because if you're on the right half of the fairway, your ball is going to tumble down into this bowl. If it has too much speed, the bowl is gonna kind of careem it into the bunker, or you're just gonna end up in the bottom of this fairway hollow and kind of have a completely blind shot into this very long part four. So just his ability to use the natural landscape kind of in harmony with his design is just pretty brilliant all the way around the golf course. And that's just one kind of small example of it that I found myself admiring.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the fifth factor that I want to talk about here also relates to William Flynn's kind of subtle but brilliant design ability, and that's the green designs. So I think this is obviously a big part of what makes Shinnecock such a complete golf course is that the green architecture is incredible as well. At Shinnecock. For me, it's not as much about the internal contour of the greens. And in that sense, you know, I just said that that Shinnacock is kind of representative of the late Golden Age state of the art, but in this specific way, it's kind of not because a lot of the top architects in the late twenties and early thirties were starting to experiment heavily with internal contouring of greens. Donald Ross was moving toward this at the end of the nineteen twenties and that's why we get what we got at Aeronomy. Alistair mackenzie of course was doing very bold things that passa tiempo, and later at Augusta National, and then Perry Maxwell in the nineteen thirties had his own approach to interior contour, the kind of rolls based or spine based way of constructing interesting green contour. Shinnecock is not as much about that, right, It's more about broad slopes and tilts on the putting surface. Itself. Some greens are extremely tilted, and it's always with the kind of natural tilt of the land. But you know, the greens certainly aren't flat, but it's not undulating contour in the middle. It's more of these you know, sometimes there's contour, sometimes there's artificial contour, but it's but it's more broad and feeding. Right, Everything on the green kind of tends toward one direction or one outlet. But then on the exterior of these greens there is a lot more complexity, right, big runoffs and spines around the greens, and that's what you really end up focusing on. I think when you're playing into these greens is what's outside of them? What is the short grass contouring around the putting surface. You obviously are thinking about the tilts as well, like that's a big deal. But an interesting thing to do at Chinnacock is too is to start at the green and look back at the hole, and look around the green and see where the big runoffs are. What are the most punitive runoffs, especially behind the greens. That often determines the strategic angles of the holes. The big runoff is not what you want to be hitting your ball toward right, because your ball could very well run through the green and end up down that big runoff. You want to be playing into the greens at the angles where what's behind the green is not as punitive, and so yeah, for me at Chinnacock, it is so much about those exterior or complexities paired with the big tilts and broad slopes of the greens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's definitely kind of the I guess the main theme of a lot of the greens. Another thing that finn Fln did so much on basically all of the golf courses was locate greens on ridges and put them in very challenging locations within the landscape. I mean, the eleventh hole is a prime example. It's one of the most insane green sites I think I've ever seen. Almost I almost guarantee that no modern architect would ever consider placing a green on that tiny little ridge line that feeds up there and just falls off so severely on both sides. And you see that a lot, like, there's so many greens that are perched up and fall away on multiple sides, and that's just a product of kind of the landscape and where he routed the golf holes. But Conversely, there's also a lot that kind of even if they are up, they do sit down in slight hollows. Ninth Pole, for example, sits way up in the air, but it's kind of in this slight little depression. So if you just kind of get it up there and around the green, it's going to be a decent shot. So that's one thing that I found so common among a lot of the green sites is just they kind of are derived from the landscape and what was there, and then on the holes where maybe the land wasn't quite as interesting, there's more of these kind of exterior bulges that you were talking about that really dictate the strategy where you want to be in the fair way coming into them, so that these bulges are helping you rather than kind of kicking you away from the pin and repealing your golf ball. So there's just a lot of different variety and all the green sites that he chose, even though a lot of them are really kind of derived from from what was sitting there in the land.
Speaker 1: The fourteenth Green is another good example of what you're talking about with nine, where fourteen is a very difficult long golf hole and green is elevated just tough, tough, tough, but the fourteenth green sits in this saddle that offers a little bit of forgiveness so that the whole is not just, you know, completely punishing from beginning to end. So there's a nice variation of grains that are sitting on kind of exposed knobs and where everything runs away from them and greens that are have a little bit more of a feeding character to them. So yeah, I think these are greens that maybe won't come across clearly on the telecast for the US Open. I hope that what they do is kind of show what those exterior contours are like in some way. But it's not like Augusta National's greens, where the the internal contour of the greens is so dramatic that it can become part of the narrative of the tournament. And I'd say that that's the case at Ironomic as well and a few other courses, but at Shinnacock it's there's a little bit more subtlety as to what's happening, because as you're saying that, the greens are so responsive to the natural landscape and are just kind of enhancing the what the natural landscape offered. Sixth and final factor I'd like to talk about six and final factor in Shinnecock Hills's greatness is the stewardship of the golf course, which I think has been almost completely exceptional. At Shinnacock. The course, the turf, grasses and the soils have basically been preserved rather than blown up and put back right. The fairway grasses are this kind of motley mixture of a little bit of everything. The greens are original push up construction, no sub you know, USGA spec. There's some greens that have been supported more by drainage and stuff like that, but these are the original greens and the grass on them is POA, but sort of like Oakmont, it's Shinnacock POA, you know. It's it's really seasoned, experienced POA that has taken on its own characteristics. The restoration work over over the past thirty years or so, starting with tree removal, has been very restrained and sensitive. You know. Corn Crenshaw have worked with the club for the past number of years now and their approach has not been to rebuild. It's just been to kind of nudge the course in the right direction and then of course, everything plays as it should. I think it is firm and fast out there, now, is it?
Speaker 2: Would it be?
Speaker 1: Would it be amazing if this course were full rescue? Sure, you know that would be That would be incredible. I don't think it would be possible in this particular environment because the grasses at Chinnacok, you know, these are veteran turf grasses that have adapted to their environment. So I don't think that imposing fescue on this course would necessarily be the being the best interest of the golf course. But you know, it's it's it's with any US sea side course. It's hard not to fantasize about it about it just being fescue. But with that said, the place is firm and fast, it dries out super quickly, it's sandy, it is. It is what you want. The ball, you know, kind of leaps into the air at unexpected moments, so it gives you everything you want in a seaside course. Anything to add there about the about the kind of stewardship and presentation.
Speaker 3: Of the course, I think you summed it up really well. There's sort of this intangible that old golf courses have when they've sat there and evolved for sixty seven eighty ninety one hundred years long, where the grass has just become one with the environment in the ecosystem and the habitat that it sits in. So it's almost like these grassives have been even trained for one hundred years to be perfectly suited for the soil type, for the conditions and what kind of it's facing on a day to day basis. So that just enhances the design and playability so much.
Speaker 1: There's so much.
Speaker 3: Going for it that it's just I honestly don't know what else like you could change or to the turf to try and make it better. Like you said, Vescue, I'm not even sure if that would play a whole lot better than what they have they're growing. They have sort of this hodgepodge of grass and the fairways that are just have been optimized, like I said, for over one hundred years to this environment. So that's just like you can't replicate that. Only time can can create that, and that's something that's really special about the agronomy at Shinnecock Hills. And then additionally, I think as a holistic kind of visual thing, just the textures and the visual appearance and aesthetic of the golf course really is pretty beautiful. You have these kind of dried out white sand bunkers, the green kind of rownish tint of the grass and the turf on the plane surfaces, and then you get this bright orange kind of fescue grass and blue stem grass in the native areas that blows in the wind and there's just acres and acres and acres of it between the golf hole, so it really defines the golf hole that you're on and just creates these awesome visuals across the property. Being able to look at the tall grasses blowing in the wind and look at all the different green sights and flagsticks kind of perched up out of the ground is just it's really awesome to just to look at. And I hope that maybe you know, the one of the evenings during the open, that you'll get that low light and you'll get to see all the awesome shadows and kind of that golden glow across the entire golf course, which really highlights kind of that ecsthetic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the keyword here is texture. Shinnacak has texture, and that's what a lot of courses lose when they rebuild everything, when they strip it down to the dirt and put up these new turf grasses, irrigation systems, drainage systems, subair, et cetera in their place, right, they lose texture. They become monochromatic. And that's happened to so many golf courses, like just about every other big championship course that the PGA Championship where the US Open is going to go to, has had over the years some degree of texture loss. And this becomes, unfortunately, especially visible at courses that remove a lot of trees. I am generally in support of those tree removal programs if they are done for kind of historical and agronomic and playability reasons. But one of the things that you lose when you lose trees is texture variation, right, You lose that bit of difference that a tree brings. And so when you take out trees, you've got to somehow recapture the natural texture of the property through grasses and through other methods, and a lot of courses don't do that. They just maintain the kind of a lawn in place of where the trees were between the holes, and that's a real shame, and that is not something that they've done at Shincock Hills, Right, they remove their trees and they recaptured the natural texture of the property, not only between the holes, but then they also preserved the texture of their fair ways and their original greens, so that when you walk on these fairways, you can see, as you're explaining that you're not walking on a mono stand, right, you're walking on a fairway that has all sorts of different colors and turf types in it. And to me it's beautiful. A lot of people might look at that and say, oh, wow, is this really an elite club, Like why isn't it kind of uniform? But to me, that's so much better looking and so much more textured than the typical, you know, high tech fairway grass that we see. And you know, although the greens are a kind of monostand of poe annua its, it's unique poe annuals. It is. It's been there for a long time and it's adapted to its environment. And yeah, you feel that that variety of texture every step you take on the property, and it's something that makes Shinnecock so memorable and again enhances the naturalism of the place. You feel like you're on a real piece of land, not in an artificial environment. So yeah, we I guess we love Shinnacock Hills. I guess that's the uh, that's the message here. Are there any critiques of Shinnecock Hills that that we should that we should air At this point, it's very difficult, if you're very difficult to critique this golf course. It's it's really hard to poke holes in it. I I don't really I don't love the seventh hole. There were Dan you know, some people might take offense to that, but I think it's you know, it's almost like a parody of a ra Dan hole. It's really different in philosophy from the rest of the golf course. And you know, it would be if the green speeds were a little bit a little bit uh lower than I think it would probably work better. But as it is, it it's a bit of a one dimensional type of Dan and you really got to play it through the air. But at the same time, it's it's super memorable, you know, like it's there's no doubt that it's a it's a moment when you stand on that tea and try to hit that shot, so it's got that going for it. But yeah, it's hard to think of anything else where you would where you would criticize it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seven was really the one thing that stuck out to me when I played. It just kind of feels a bit like a sore of thumb sticking out of the ground. And like you said, it doesn't really play like the original for Dan, where you can bounce the ball.
Speaker 1: In and run it up.
Speaker 3: The slope in front of the green is just too steep to do that. So with modern technology it's become more of this aerial pursuit of a golf hole, and it really doesn't fit in with kind of the rest of the design of the golf course. It's kind of like this one odd hole out, which is really interesting because it's kind of become almost the most famous hole in the golf course and the one that most people can recognize. So it is an interesting aspect of kind of that core of the property.
Speaker 1: It's understandable that it's become a famous hole or a kind of point of focus during tournaments because visually it is so legible, right, and in that way, it's different from the rest of the course, which which very much just follows the land, and so it's hard to tell what the golf course is quote unquote doing. Right on the seventh hole, you can see what the golf course is doing because it's it's right there, sticking up out of the ground. And and so I think that's part of the reason that it's become famous. But yeah, aside from that, it's just it's really hard to to find things about Shinnecock that that fall short. And and so in that sense, it is one of the most complete, near perfect golf courses in America certainly, and so so where do we where do we put it in those ranks? You know, it's interesting to try to compare it to a Cypress Point or an Oakmont or an Augusta National. I think in a lot of ways, Shinnacock does things better than those courses. Like, yeah, Cyprus might have the more remarkable and memorable piece of land with the kind of seaside portion of it and that amazing, you know, white sand dune that it plays through and that incredible routing, But the turf grass at Chinnacock and the way it plays and the relationship between the elements of the golf is way better at Chinnacock right now, you know, And so where do you put it among the great golf courses, at least of the ones that you've seen. I don't think either you or I have seen Pine Valley.
Speaker 3: No I haven't, but I think it's certainly in question for the greatest golf course in the world. Like we said, there's really not that much wrong with it. You have the wind, you have the firmness, and the incredible landscape. Like there's no reason why anyone should not say that it's not the best golf course in the world. There's so much going for it. It's an incredible test golf. It's very, very difficult, and this is something I was thinking of. Some of the best golf courses in the world really are really challenging. There's not really very many golf courses that are highly regarded that are easy or less challenging than something like Shinnacock. So if in my book it could be the it could be the number one, it could topple Pine Valley as the best golf course in the world. But it's all really a personal preference. So I do think it kind of lives in that absolute upper echelon of golf courses, basically top top five in the world in my eyes.
Speaker 1: All right, man, thank you for coming on the podcast. Always fun to talk to you. Looking forward to the USO.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for having me. Really looking forward to watching the pros try and tackle it one more time.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Next up here we have Bob Crosby joining me to talk about the early history of the architecture at Shinnakak Hills. So let's go to that. This episode of Designing Golf is brought to you by Perfect Practice. Perfect Practice putting mats and chipping nets are the perfect Father's Day gifts. Father's Day is coming up. You need gift ideas. Perfect Practice is a good one. The putting mat creates a realistic putting experience. It's crafted with unique crystal velvet material that ensures a smooth and precise ball movement which simulates real greens, and the chip shot is the only automatic ball return chipping net. It also includes a grass matt and target net that lets you get a ton of reps in without chasing balls, and it's suited for either indoor or outdoor use. Starting to warm up across the US right now, so you might move it into your backyard, but during colder times it can be used indoors. I have mine set up in the backyard right now and it's really helped me stay in chipping shape during a time when frankly, I haven't been playing that much golf. You can purchase the putting matt and chip shot on the Perfect Practice website, Amazon and golf Galaxy, and if you go to perfect Practice dot com you can use the promo code design Design Design for twenty percent off. That's actually a great way to show support for this podcast. If you're interested in a putting mat or chipping net, Perfect Practice makes the best ones that I've used, and you can use a promo code specifically for designing golf design. All right, let's get back to the episode. Bob Crosby, Welcome back to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Great to be back here.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to talk with you today, Bob, about the early history of Shinnecock Hills. Eight years ago, you co authored a short article with Wayne Morrison for the USGA website about the evolution of this golf course over its first forty years, essentially right from eighteen ninety one to nineteen thirty one. The opening sentence of that article basically lays out its thesis. You say, if you were looking for a case study on the evolution of golf architecture in America, Shinnecock Hills would be a good place to start. Effectively, what you then go on to argue is that between eighteen ninety one and nineteen thirty one, there were three main versions of the course, and each of those versions represents a different stage in the history and development of American golf course design. I found this very interesting. I think you know it's for me. It's less about the specifics of those versions of the course than about what they represent in history. And so that's kind of what I want to get in to with you today now. The first to get us at the beginning, the first iteration of Shinnecock Hills was designed by two British professionals, Willie Davis and Willie Dunn. Davis designed the first twelve holes in eighteen ninety one and Done completed the eighteen in eighteen ninety five. So do you just want to start there maybe and talk about that version of Shinnecock Hills and what it said about, you know, historical trends of the period.
Speaker 2: Sure, the first versions of shinnecock were designed by two Actually they were Scottish professionals.
Speaker 1: Were they both Scottish? I was having a hard time figuring out. I used British as a catch all sometimes. I know Scottish people maybe resist being British, and British is not wrong, but yeah, Britain. But there really weren't very many English professionals at the time. Yeah, I thought Willy Dunn was one. I was in English, happened to be an English person, But I know Willys was scott You know.
Speaker 2: You may be right because his father was at Wimbledon for a long time.
Speaker 1: I think he was from London and that you're right, But sometimes you don't know when you're like this is sort of a digression already. But it's a funny thing about researching early history, in early golf history, especially in America, with these Scottish and English and you know whoever else professionals coming over because they're all named Willie.
Speaker 2: Was there a Willy And they all died before their fiftieth birthday. For those remarkable how quickly they all died. They all had pneumonia or something. And in fact, it's a good, good correction because I want to come back to something about Willy Dunn that ties in with English golf courses. But yeah, they they were part of a literally a title wave of British professionals that immigrated to the United States starting about eighteen eighty five or so. It was such a large title way that by the late eighteen nineties AJ Balfer, who was at the time it would become eventually Prime Minister of Britain but at the time was a fairly high functioning high functionary in the British government, suggested that they enact but Parliament enact rules to limit the immigration of these professionals to America. And they went for all sorts of different reasons. I think most of them was because they were being paid more money, they had a higher social standing in the United States. It was just in all sorts of ways, very very attractive. What ended up happening, and this will not be news to many people, is that various professionals went to various American metropolitan areas and created a whole range of They built the whole range of golf courses all over the United States. What from a historical perspective is remarkable about all of that is how similar all of those golf courses were. You had literally dozens, if not hundreds of professionals in the United States introducing golf to Americans who knew relatively little about it at the time, and then designing the same or very similar Victorian style golf courses. By eighteen ninety or by the time Shinnacock was built, there was a fair amount of There was a large consensus that golf courses should include cross hazards to force balls to carry them, the idea being that we wanted to find objective tests for players who could hit the ball far ensure. That whole idea came from Laidlaw Purpose and really begins in some respects with Laidlaw Purvose's original iteration of Sandwich, which opened for play in eighteen ninety seven. Laidlaw Purpose then lays out his design theories and an article in the Early Golf which became Golf Illustrated later which talks about the need for Carrie Hazard's whole links were critical and for the most part, and I'm actually having trouble finding exceptions, the Scottish professionals that came to America about eighteen ninety followed that those sorts of principles fairly strictly there were. There is a thread on golf club batlast that's been going on now for I think about ten years, which is basically compilation of old routings and drawings of early American golf courses. I'm having trouble finding any golf course on that thread that wasn't a Victorian golf course. So these guys come to Shinnacock and they designed what they were all taught to designer all as soon was the correct way to design a golf course. Willie Davis does the first twelve holes, Willie Dunn does finishes it off. Actually, I think he won the Open the year he finished the golf course, in eighteen ninety six, and that was pretty much it, I mean. But the antecedents to all of that was this wave of Scottish immigrants that came to America to a place where the game was still relatively unknown. Nobody had the clue about how to design a golf course, and these guys supplied the need and that was the beginnings of Schnakock.
Speaker 1: Where do you think they all got their ideas about how to design a golf course where they reading material about this? Did they just gather it by osmosis by growing up in Great Britain wherever they might have been. I mean, my understanding is that Willie Davis was at Hoylake for some of his training as a professional. Willy Dunn may have been at Westward ho for a while. How do you think this kind of consensus formed. What were the mechanisms for spreading these ideas?
Speaker 2: I'm not clear about. There was almost a complete unanimity about the way golf courses should be designed. I'm not sure where that came from. I can tell you a bit about the story of Willy Dunn, whose father and I think he then succeeded. His father was at Wimbledon for eleven or twelve years. That was laid Law Purvis's London course. Leidlow purpose had a number of disagreements with Wimbledon, which may have in the end led him to set up a new club, now Royal St George's in Sandwich. But he had very very strong opinions about golf architecture, about the shortcomings of the old course at Saint Andrews, and where golf ought to go if it's going to be a quote progressive, more objective, fair sport, and his ideas were basically what we see what we now. You don't see many of them anymore, but his ideas were basically embodied in the doctrines of Victorian golf architecture, the cross hazards, the whole links and the whole bit. It was, by the way, not a crazy philosophy. It was seamless. In fact, it answered all the questions, and it was before that reason easy for these pros to use. It was a matter of measuring links, laying out cross hazers at the right intervals, and it required very little imagination on the on the part of the people building the courses. It was. It was a It was a It was a plan that the details of which were put in their laps and they built. It was.
Speaker 1: It was a way to spread golf quickly, which was obviously a big goal in the eighteen eighties and nineties when the game was really catching on and suddenly people needed courses, and sometimes they wanted them in places that were not particularly well suited to golf. Now, Shannacock Hills happened to be a land that was pretty well suited to the game, but they were putting courses in places that courses hadn't been put before, and so they needed a way to do it right, and you could do it quickly.
Speaker 2: I do I write some account of Willie Davis. Willy Davis did the first twelve holes at Shirakok in a month. I mean it, you know, just give me the land, I'll do the crows hazards, and you got your golf course right. It's it's it's pretty amazing and it you know, it was a philosophy though that was we pooh pooh it and make fun of it. But it was very sophisticated purpose answered all the questions, had an answer for all the questions.
Speaker 1: A coherent worldview.
Speaker 2: In a way, hear it a seamless architectural universe that left nothing unaddressed.
Speaker 1: Right, And that was the original version of Shinakok Hills. There are some pictures out there that that I think might be striking to people because of how different they look from the current version of the course, which is very naturalistic. There were some pretty wild booking cross bunkers and and things of that nature, with designs that were not attempting to emulate the natural environment, were maybe just attempting to look cool. But there's one particularly famous one of a of a cross bunker with what they call the cop right a a kind of vertical berm that that wasn't straight but instead had this kind of squiggle pattern, right, you know. And uh and so there were things like that at this at this first version of the course, things that now you know, looked very strange to us.
Speaker 2: Right, it was a it was a very it's called a bastion bunker at the time b A S T I O N. It was very funky. Somebody had a spasm of imagination it built this very weird thing. But to address something you just mentioned, their point, in fact, their objective was not to have natural golf courses. Natural golf courses allowed too much haphazardous and luck in the game. They wanted objective tests for a player's ability to hit a ball, as laid La Purbis said, far insure their ergo you have carry bunker at various intervals on each hole. And that's what he that that was, that was the design intent.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Golf becoming maybe a little bit more like tennis, like establishing an official playing field as opposed to just these kind of natural environments, which is where the where the game started. But there wasn't at the time a huge specific value put on the original links courses. In a way they were thought of as being kind of outmoded or old fashioned, and that there must be a a new modern way of doing golf course construction. And you know, this first version of Shinnecock Hills was representative of that. But now we move on from there to the second version of Shinnecock Hills, which has hotly sort of forgotten these days. You know it's a given who was involved in building it, But maybe tell me a little bit about that. What is this second main itera of the golf.
Speaker 2: Well, first, let me just jump in and say that Wayne Morrison knows more about Shinacock way Morrise has forgotten more about Shinnicock.
Speaker 1: That I know, of course, all of us fact but.
Speaker 2: Wayne told me back in the day that there's very little known about the McDonald version of Shinnecock There are very few drawings, very few photographs, and very little was written about it, which makes it a bit of a blank slate.
Speaker 1: And now let me jump in real quick to be clear. The second version of Shinnecock Hills was designed by Cebe McDonald and Seth Rainer in nineteen sixteen, and this was just five years after National Golf Links, McDonald's masterpiece and really his showcase golf course. Just five years after that course opened right next door to Shinnecock Hills. So five years later we have Cebe McDonald and Seth Rainer coming in and redesigning the golf.
Speaker 2: Course, and as far as we know, he designed, at least by all accounts, he designed the usual slate of template holes, or at least partly a partial slate of the template holes. I think the interesting question for McDonald, and I think it's by nineteen sixteen still somewhat true, is that he wanted to introduce a better way of designing golf holes, one that was better in all sorts of different ways than the Victorian courses that I think he saw in America. He says in Scotland's Gift Golf, which is published in nineteen twenty eight. He says in there that his ideas for different kinds of golf holes came from the Golf Illustrated discussion of Best Holes in nineteen oh one, and John Lowell played a predominant an important role in that discussion. I'll get to that. We'll return to that, hopefully later. But he says in Scotland's Gift that he took the holes people liked out of that discussion. He only took some of them, actually, And he wanted to devise a kind of golf architecture that was based on those holes, which he took to be the best holes, because the experts in Britain thought they were the best holes. But consider the problem he had in nineteen oh one or so. He wanted to design a golf course based on the best holes of which nobody in America had seen, and nobody in America was going to see in any numbers in any time soon. So he had to figure out a way to make those holes known to them. And I think that was the origins of his notion of going out and drawing inexquisite detail the templates for a series of holes. And it was those templates that he could use to educate American golfers about the best holes in Britain. And not only that, he could give those templates to a non golfing surveyor rainer who could use those those plans to build his golf courses. But his problem was to educate American golfers about what the best tolls in Britain were at the time, and he used that as the basis for his own design theories. And that's what he took to Shinikock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so at this second version of Shinnacock Hills, we have we believe versions of the radan version of the Cape hole, uh and and perhaps a couple of others, maybe an Eden and a short template. And so these were these were the kind of standard part of the standard catalog of McDonald and Rayner designs that were now being installed at at Shinnecawk Hills. And so you know, when you consider this approach to design, what what new things, what new ideas? Did it help inject into the blood stream of golf architecture, especially in America?
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I have I have a couple of thoughts. It it injected into the American blood, the bloodstream of the American Gulf. First full just affected these other holes existed and they're worth worth being attention to. But it also brought attention to the fact that these holes. Let me pack up a minute, well, these holes differed dramatically from the Victorian kinds of designs that he inherited at Shinnakock and other places. The design theories behind the Victorian golf courses basically set out in exquisite detail the kinds of holes you should be designing. The design goals of laid Law, Purvos and other people sort of fell out from that. There was no need to go and if you design these kinds of holes, the design principles will take care of themselves. My design goals will take care McDonald had very different ideas about the right kinds of holes, but his methodology was very much like Purposes in the sense that I'm going to give you a fa really clear, detailed description of the kinds of holes you should be building, and if you build those holes, my design goals will fall out without naturally. And his design goals were make holes more strategic, make them require the golfer to do more thinking. It involved more than simply clearing a cross hazard at various distances. But from an architectural methodological point of view, he wasn't allowing the architect much leeway. I'm going to give you the whole kitten kaboodle you design a golf hole like my templates and your design goals take care of themselves. That's the And that was a methodology that he shared with the Victorious. He didn't get he really never got past that there's all sorts of old stuff and McDonald's that. Bernard Darwin wrote an article about McDonald in nineteen thirteen or nineteen fourteen. He had just visited Nationville Golf Links. Loved just absolutely loved it. But you know, there's a yeah, but he said, you know, there's a lot of really old stuff here. This is not cold. And and McDonald at one point brags about the fact that his Eden Hoole at National Golf Links has a water hazard between the green and the tee and he said that's good, he said, because that means you can't play the hole with a putter. And that was the main Victorian objection to the Eden Hole. With the old course, it didn't have a cross hazard. You could play with a putter. You could play down in the valley and putt between the hill bunker and strathbunker and get to the green, and that was viewed as a major problem with the Edenhole. Well, McDonald's figure when McDonald was bought into that Victorian argument at the Eden at National Golf Links. It's a very odd sort of throw in for somebody that we considered sort of the father of modern strategic golf architecture. In many ways, he was not. He was really he was really stuck in an ear older ear slightly, although we had different preferences and holes. So it's well, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm curious about about where you see McDonald in that kind of evolutionary path. What insights do you think McDonald and Rainer for that matter, did not yet have about golf architecture, what remained to be done after their work, Because I mean, if you look at you know, one might argue, you look at National Golf Links, there aren't that many golf courses that have been built that are better than that.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a wonderful golf course. But his design, his design methodology was exactly the reverse of the design methodology of William Flynn, who will we'll talk about later and William Flynn's progenitors, which is Harry Colt and other other people, which is that the the the design goals of a golf course come out of a particular terrain, I'm going to I'm going to shape a particular piece of land so as to achieve certain prior design goals. For McDonald's and in frank for the For the Victorians, it was the reverse. I'm going to tell you how to design a golf hole, and the design goals will just come out automatically, and you can build my whole, you know, within certain limits. You can build my hole on a whole bunch of different kinds of terrain. But if you follow my instructions, things will come out. You know, the design objectives will be achieved. What's interesting rereading Scotland's gift and I urge I recommend it to everyone. In his section on golf architecture in the book, he reproduces almost in total his nineteen oh six article on the ideal golf course from Outing magazine, and lest we forget, he actually worked up a mathematical table for the features a good hole should have. He also worked up a sort of mathematical table on the links and various approach distances that any good eighteen hole golf course should have. That should all remind you of the controversial Joshua Crane course rankings that used essentially the same formula twenty years later. McDonald was, in some respects a sort of a halfway house to the kinds of things that we that we talk about and see today in modern in modern golf architecture. It was it was still he still had a foot in the Victorian world.
Speaker 1: He was a systematizer, wasn't he, And and so he was approaching the question of how to build a great golf course in a way that wasn't dissimilar from how Laidlaw Purvis was approaching it. His method, his kind of disposition as a thinker was was pretty parallel to that, but the conclusions that he came to were different. Because clearly, in reproducing some of these great links holes, he was first of all respecting the links and not saying we can do better than that, but saying we should be learning from these courses. And he was also re producing strategic concepts. So clearly he was able to kind of read these holes and derive from them strategic principles that that could then be applied to different pieces of land. But his insight that these holes had strategic content was was something new, or at least something different from most eighteen eighties and eighteen nineties designers, So there was there was definitely a key insight there. But as you say, his kind of habits of mind were still very similar to that Victorian attitude of we can make a science out of this, right, Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: I think that's I've had always had reservations about the template holes. They leave very little room for the imagination of the architect. You need you need to find the right spot for them. You need to find the right place in an eighteen hole round are very extraneous questions. But if you're seth Rayner, you follow the template and those happen to be very good holes. Don't get me wrong, but it is a very different way to design a golf course than from the one that I think Low would have. In fact, I'm pretty sure Low disagreed with that way of going about designing a golf course. Colt certainly did, Darwin certainly did, Mackenzie certainly did. And we can talk about that when we get to the next stage at Shennacock. But McDonald presents interesting intellectual puzzles about what it is about template holes that made sense and that were also problematical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's get to that third version of the golf course nineteen thirty one, at least that's when it was finished. New Land was purchased because the highway Route twenty seven I believe it is, was routed close to the existing course, or really through the pre existing course at Shinnakak Hills, and so they needed to expand the course elsewhere. And of course, you know, technology had advanced and they're maybe looking for a digger course as well than the one that McDonald and Rayner built in nineteen sixteen, which topped out at about six thousand yards. So they brought in William Flynn to design a new golf course. Really, there are some holes that are kind of located near old holes, some holes that roughly occupy the same corridors. But this was really a brand new golf course. It wasn't a renovation. This was a William Flynn design. And so how do you read this design and then connect it to these kind of historical trends that we're talking about.
Speaker 2: We have to add, Garrett, that one trip the controversial wild Man, founder of Pan American Airways, was the one that brought William Flinn in. I think that's interesting, very interesting, though younger younger listeners may not know it. Pan American Airlines was at one time one of the larger, one of the major air carriers.
Speaker 1: It was it was the most romantic airlines as far as I can see, the most fashionable and cool one. I guess I.
Speaker 2: Have a friend who was a stewardess or a flight attendant sorry on pandem and it was The stories are amazing at any rate. To step back just a minute, there is an assumption among US Americans that golf arket, the evolution of golf architecture was American, that it was all it all sort of happened here, and that's sort of all we need to know. There's a similar view of the American Revolution. We all we need to know was what happened with Washington, Hamilton, Jefferson. There was in fact a hell a lot going on in Britain, and to get the whole picture you need to understand that well.
Speaker 1: Especially considering that those guys were English.
Speaker 2: Through English, right. So so William Flynn raises the whole history of Synagogue, actually raises the question is American golf architecture really the tale on a British Dog? And I think it is. William Flynn came out of what was now called what is now called the Philadelphia School George Crump, A W. Tilling Has George Thomas, Uh, I'm leaving people out, Wilson. Wilson. Yeah, a school of golf architecture that that was acknowledged its its debt to a number of important English golf architects. George Crump at one point was stuck at Pine Valley and brought Harry Colt in to fix it. That sort of thing. They understood what was being written and talked about and built in the UK. They understood it was probably a better way to go about designing golf courses, and they brought those ideas to America. That's why I think they are such an important chapter in American golf architecture. William Flynn was part of that, probably one of the younger members of that group. Brought in to redesign Shnacock along more traditional what we would call traditional strategic lines, made it the great golf course it is today. But broke with McDonald and i'll get harp again on my theme that did he didn't design Shnacock based on a set of plans that described for him various design details of the various holes. He went out and looked at what the terrain said to him, interpreted it. He had an artistic flare about things. Built a golf course from a specific piece of land that would reflect basic design goals that he and others of the Philadelphia school had. And I think that that approach to golf architecture, it was flipping McDonald in some respects, was far more productive, made for far better golf courses, and opened the way to basically modern golf architecture. The cores, the doakes, all the rest. And it was the beginning. You know, it was quietly revolutionary. Although Flynn was late in the game in nineteen thirty one, the real revolutionary stuff was happening a little bit earlier.
Speaker 1: Well, certainly by the time he designed Shinnecock Hills, this idea of golf architecture had reached a kind of maturity. This is Lake Golden Age architecture. This is when Alistair McKenzie is doing a lot of his work in California and similarly reaching a kind of apex there. But you know, maybe one way of understanding what you're describing is that you know Flynn's approach focusing on the land first, but also introducing these strategic concepts that are broadly shared with McDonald and Rayner. Is that whereas McDonald and Rayner might have kind of signposted the strategic ideas of their holes, really highlighted them for the player and shown them what they are doing through artificial features, at the new Shnecock Hills, those ideas were still there, but they are all concealed because it all just looks like the land, right, and so these strategic features are are kind of pre existing humps and bumps, and you know if they when there are bunkers, they appear to be in the right place where a bunker might be on this kind of land, and so it's all there's a kind of seamlessness about the architecture and a lack of sign posting that allows the player to then discover the strategic nature of the holes, as opposed to having that taught to him.
Speaker 2: I think that's an interesting way to put it. I would put it slightly differently. I think the strategic the strategic aspects of the of the of the Flynn design at Shinnikok emerged from the natural conditions there in the land and the new land they acquired what one hundred and ten acres I think after McDonald's course was closed down Route twenty seven cut off most of.
Speaker 1: It, including some of the best land.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you've ever been there, Yeah, yeah, it's ever been there. It's it's great and it would have been great land down there. But there's just a big highway in a railroad down there. But but Flynn looks out over a piece of land. His genius is to devise ways to design golf holes from which an emergent quality is strategy. McDonald told you what to design, and the strategy just falls out naturally from his instructions, and and Flynn's was it is the modern way to design golf courses. That's how people do it now, or at least the good ones. And it is it is an important stage in golf architecture. But it is I think a stage that is to some extent derivative of hard thinking and hard lessons that people learned in Britain earlier.
Speaker 1: How would you trace that intellectual history of this idea of golf course design that William Flynn then executed in the third version of Shneakak Hills. We can go we might we could go too deep on this, but take us back a little bit. What is you know, what is the history of this idea and how did it eventually come out here.
Speaker 2: I'll take you as deep as you want to go. You cut me off. McDonald begins with the best golf Holes discussion in Golf Illustrated in nineteen oh one, and he highlights Lowe's contribution to that which was, by any measure, the beginnings think of a different way of thinking about golf architecture and frankly the beginning of mine in golf architecture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just to give people context here about the best holes discussion, this was a moment when this publication Golf Illustrated, right, Golf Illustrated had basically asked the question to people, you know, what are what are the best golf holes? What is really class golf? You know? Or what is the what is what is a good golf course? And and they, you know, a lot of significant figures in golf at the time ended up responding with their opinions about what the best golf holes were, and most interestingly, some like like John Lowe, who were inclined toward, you know, more kind of intellectual pursuits. It ended up writing these big articles about the philosophy of what made a good golf hole.
Speaker 2: Since you've opened the door, I'll walk in it, walk through it. In early nineteen oh one, Golf Illustrated published a long article, almost certainly by laid law purpose, that said, we now know so much about the design of golf course, and the basic ideas are so settled that we need to build a standardized golf course in order to facilitate handicaps. There was a very strong reaction to that. The standardization of golf courses was not a very popular idea, even if it facilitated handicaps. So in response, Garden Smith, the editor of Golf Illustrated, said, well, let's do a survey of what people think the best holes are and maybe there'll be a consensus. We can arrive at a consensus and build golf courses based on those holes.
Speaker 1: I don't have that.
Speaker 2: I think there were fifteen or eighteen people that responded to the survey, and the instructions of the survey would tell us your favorite part three, par four and par five. A whole bunch of people responded, gave their holes, and then Golf Illustrated asked three or four people, including John Lowe, who was at the time only in his late twenties. They asked him, along with Hutchinson and Hilton, to give a more elaborate answer, and Lowe's essay is one of the most remarkable things written ever in golf. It took on the assumption that almost everybody else on the survey had, which was that good golf holes have certain cross hazers at certain intervals, and good golf require full shots of certain length. Low took all that on said no, no golf course designed as evidence by Saint Andrew's and other golf courses, requires the careful placements of shots in order to open up to make easier the next shot, and it requires various analysis and thinking as opposed to pure athletic skill. He went on to develop those ideas over the next two or three years. He right after that he became a weekly columnist for the for the for the The Athletic, which was a London weekly UH newspaper, and developed his ideas, you know, almost on a weekly basis thereafter over the next several years. Colt Uh, Alison, Simpson, Fowler, Darwin, everybody picks up on his ideas, and literally, overnight, the Victorian golf courses begin to disappear. It's it's staggering how quickly they vanish. That is the background, to the British background to golf, to to to modern golf architecture. Americans picked up on that A little later. McDonald came to the party. A little later. Travis came to the party a little A little later, Travis pulls Ross aside in nineteen twelve and says, don you got to rethink how you're designing this Pinehurst stuff. And Ross completely changes the way he designs his golf courses. The number two becomes a whole different golf course. But it all starts, I think, with Low beginning to question the basic tenets of Victorian golf architecture, and everybody goes hold the phone. He's right, and Victorian golf architecture dies suddenly. It literally. There's still some courses in America being built as late as nineteen oh five, nineteen oh six, but not very many, most all, most, most of most of the courses in America are beginning to reflect the newer ideas, and William flynn is is is at the tail end of that the golden age of golf arcitecture is that golf architecture. The golf architecture I think motivated by Lowe's id is the Colts, the followers. I mean, you get on the usual list that is the golden age of golf architecture. William Flynn comes in and sort of the tail end of that, but nonetheless an enormously talented guy who did great work, and Sinacock is the beneficiary.
Speaker 1: So would you say that since MacDonald read Lowe himself and was influenced by this best Holes discussion, that he just kind of had a different interpretation of this material than say, Harry Colt and Alistair McKenzie and the progenitors of this more kind of naturalist approach to golf course design that William Flynn then implemented later at Shinnecock Hills. It seems like they're had two different sprouts out out of this discussion in Golf Illustrated, you know, one represented by the McDonald Rainer school and the other represented by these other architects.
Speaker 2: I started to say, but I will now say it is that McDonald's and low and low by Low, I mean, Reed, Cold, et cetera. McDonald and Low were both reactions to Victorian golf architecture, but very different kinds of reactions to Victorian golf architecture. McDonald still had some of the methodological features that will that Laid Law Crobus brought to it. That is to say, I'm going to tell you how to design golf holes, and the design objectives I have in mind will fall out naturally if you design the holes according to my plans. Low approached things differently the way William Flynn did, which is that there is a I have a philosophy of how a golf course ought to operate on a golfer. I have no specifics as to how you do that, but your genius is to figure it out, and you go find a piece of land and that particular hole or that particular golf course its features will be unique to that particular piece of land. But we do have at least some general idea of your objectives, and I'm not going to tell you how to do it. I'm not going to give you template holes that make your job easier. On the other hand, by making your job harder, it also opens the way to you being more imaginative and artistic. You can do things that replicating template holes won't allow you to do, and that I think was part of what made Colt so great. While we still love his golf courses and the hole, the whole group of those guys. Uh uh. And then the Philadelphia School really picks up on a lot of that.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I'm just limiting to the Philadelphic School. There are others too, but it's a different it's a dramatically different way to approach the question of how you design a golf mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It's prescriptions. Well, no, it's principles rather than prescriptions.
Speaker 2: Right, principles. But I think I used the word prescription in that old essay about in that old article about about Sherika. Sure, it is not a prescription, it's it's a it's just a general sense of where you want to be at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Well, so I want to give a a kind of a stamp of approval to this line of thinking that you've guided me through here, Bob, by bringing in something that Bill Corr said to us recently. And this is this is actually unpublished material. It is I'm just reading from a transcript of an interview that we did with Bill Corr about Shinnacak Hills, and parts of that interview are going to be included in our video on the course coming up, I think in a couple of weeks here. But he said something that really I think illuminates or matches with in a nice way, what we've been talking about. He said, you know, MacDonald and Raider, they owed to classic golf imported from the UK, the best holes, the best possible holes to create here in America, and these were the kind of natural gifts that they imported from from Scotland. Shinnecock, on the other hand, Flynn's Shinnecock was a tribute to the landforms that were there. So you know, clearly when Bill went on to say, you know, he certainly understood the National and all the classic holes that had so influenced the building of the National. But I have an idea he would have said, okay, I'm letting this land more dictate this golf course instead of trying to emulate or create existing holes somewhere. And so I think that that, you know, Bill puts it that way, I think because you know, first of all, it's it's true. There's a truth there about about William Flynn's design approach in contrast to McDonald and Rainers. But Bill is also talking about his own design approach in a way, you know, because well.
Speaker 2: He absolutely is and and and he is very much in line with Cole William Flynn. So it's dope. I mean, these guys are all part of a similar perspective on golf, on golf architecture. To be sympathetic to McDonald a bit, yeah, I wanted to get there because I'm still add who doesn't a man who doesn't need sympathy?
Speaker 1: Right is that?
Speaker 2: And I said this earlier, but I'll try to say it again real quickly. He he. He took from the best Hole discussion in Go in nineteen oh one a set of holes that he thought were really good. He traveled to Scotland and England often had seen the holes, knew the holes. He had though, to come back to America and try to convince people that these were really good holes. Nobody had seen them, nobody was familiar with them, nobody was going to see them anytime soon. And so he decides to do templates. I'm going to show you what these holes look like, because he needed to, and so to some extent if he's going to base golf architecture on holes nobody has seen, he's got to at least show them what he's talking about. And so he, I think was in a bitter He was cornered in that respect. He had no choice but to do templates. Now he could have loosened up his dictates about all that with Rayner, you know, do what you want to do, you know, mess around with their Dan concept if you want to. But he didn't seem to be inclined to do that. He was he was very much authoritarian figure.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a pattern in discussions of cultural history that I've noticed and that I'm not saying you're falling into, but in fact, I think you're you're resisting to an extent where when we tell these stories about the development of a cultural form, whether it's golf architecture or literature or film, we tend to underrate the cultural artifacts that came early in that development or came before the development. When we tell our story of the you know, kind of progress of an art form, the implication is that what we get at the end of that progress is the best thing, and that everything else was kind of a stepping stone. Along the way to get there and therefore not as good in and of itself.
Speaker 2: The Whig interpretation of history exactly.
Speaker 1: You know, this is a very yeah, this is this corresponds with actually a lot of stuff you've written about about the the kind of you know, Victorian perspective on things that everything's progressed and the stuff in the past is mcclasse and we can disregard it. And this very much became an attitude like after World War Two and accounted for a lot of the destruction of the great Golden Age golf architecture that we both love. But in any case, I think we need to be careful about that because you know, to say that McDonald and Rayner were part of the progress toward a certain idea of golf architecture that we got to at the Great Shinnekhawk Hills isn't to say that McDonald and rayner were bad, or that National Golf Links is bad or the Chicago Golf Club is bad. In fact, those are terrific, wonderful golf courses, but they do sit in this, you know, in a certain place in this narrative of history. So just as you know, not every film that was made before the kind of revolution in Hollywood. It in the nineteen seventies with Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppole, et cetera. Just as not every film made before that was a bad film. In fact, Alfred Hitchcock made some made some pretty good stuff in the fifties. Uh that that, you know, everybody still loves we We can't, you know, uh, persuade ourselves to to disregard the things that were made before the thing that we find to be the most fully developed.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I McDonald pushed things along. I mean he he he was. He was a helpful at least in America he was, and he was never a factor, never a factor in Britain they allyby kind of scoffed at his ideas. But he helped America along because America knew nothing about any of this. They it was, it was there was still a new sport. But getting back to your wig thing that that history tends towards progress, that there's an arc to history which goes from the primitive to the more sophisticated. What I think of the glories of John Lowe and his and his close friend Harry Colt and others is that they viewed golf. The history of golf architecture is anti Whigism. That is to say, we don't want to see progress in golf course design. We already know what's the good stuff. It's the stuff that some mystery man we don't know who it was designed for. The holes at the Old Course and other great links courses, uh and and and and the the templates, wrong word, the the ideas behind those golf holes are timeless, and there is no sense in which you're going to ever, if you're any good you ever get beyond them. You'll just you'll just manipulate them, interpret them, apply them in different contexts, all sorts of things, but that the core ideas are more or less timeless, and that there is no sense in which you're going to move beyond them to some other better kind of golf course.
Speaker 1: So you've got to be I guess what I'm arguing, and what I'm taking from what you're saying is that, you know, kind of being open minded about about the past is a great idea for an artist, because if you disregard entire swaths of things that were built or created in the past, then you're kind of you know, limiting yourself and and that was an insight that the early Golden Age architects in Britain, cults, et cetera brought and they said, actually, actually look at these lengths courses. They're amazing. And I you know, what you're saying also resonates so much with where golf architecture and the discussion of golf architecture is right now, because there are many there are many people who bemoan the fact that golf architecture doesn't seem to be innovating or coming up with new ideas, or seems to be stuck in the Golden Age or stuck in this links tribute stage and are very frustrated with that. A lot of people think that that's a bad thing because they see art as something that necessarily must always be breaking the past and progressing on to something new. But my own attitude towards it is that we don't necessarily need to do that. What we need to do is to react to the land and to stay true to the principles that we know to be true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, there are all sorts of applications to new terrains and new features, but those applications there is a limited set of applications that one can productively do to a specific sort of terrain, and the genius is figuring out which is best, which how to nuance that that sort of thing. But it's not like you're going to ever. I think it's the wrong question to think that you're going to somehow move beyond that to a new, different, better universe of golf architecture. It's not going to happen. I mean, golf architecture is not like the evolution of physics or chemistry.
Speaker 1: It has even poetry for that matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, say yeah, it's it's it's it is what it is, and we all, you know, practitioners struggle with the same issues that they'd struggled with in nineteen ten. They have better equipment, they have you know, that sort of thing, but it's just the issues are the same, and there will I don't think there will ever be a time where we sort of break through to a new, different universe with a cleaner slate of questions that will all applaud I just it's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Well, Bob, this has been, as always, a very interesting conversation. Thank you for coming on the podcast again. Looking forward, to Shinnecock Hills.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. I look forward to it as well.
Speaker 1: This episode of Designing Golf was produced by Will Balsam. Thank you, Will, so obviously, as you heard in this episode, the next men's major is upon us the US Open at Shinnecock Hills, and to celebrate the occasion, we've got new additions to our major's collection in the Friday Golf pro Shop. Everyone on the team here is very excited about seeing Shinnecock Hills in action, so my colleague Cameron heard us created a new routing map, T shirt and poster. Cameron is one of the best in the business at these kinds of things, and we also have an incredible illustrated poster by Will Eager. There's much more availab including plenty of US Open themed apparel and hats, so go check it out at Proshop dot Thefrida Egg dot com. Thank you for listening, and we'll be back again soon, in fact next week for another episode.