Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Wednesday, December thirteenth, and the Ravens were repairing to face the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday. As the Ravens get ready for that game, we had a chance to talk with head coach John Harball today after practice.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to see everybody. I appreciate you being here.
Speaker 3: Good practice, and we're pointing towards Sunday night against an excellent Jacksonville team. Played them quite a bit the last few years, and we know what's in store and we're looking forward to the opportunity. A couple of roster moves. We brought him Malik Cunningham. He had a chance to come over here and be a part of our team. We're very excited about that. I feel like he's got a great future in the league. And so he was at practice today. And then Devin Duvernet is on the short term I are we'll expect him to be back for the playoffs. So but our first job is we got to get there for and talk that. So it's that's our goal. Well questions, yeah, John, within the week, now you have full quarterbacks, what how would just kind of describe what will be kind up a point because that in a lot of teams have the full quarterback. No, it's definitely different, unique situation. Uh, from a quarterback perspective, it's a future type of a move. I think Eric would describe it as that.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: So he can, Uh, he'll practice.
Speaker 3: He's out there practiate quarterback today early in practice, but he'll also work a wide receiver and work on special teams too, and things he was doing in New England already. That's what he's doing there as far as practicing as well. So we'll know he's a very talented person, you know. So he'll contribute every way he can. But we'll stay with the four quarterbacks. That's the way we'll do it, and he'll contribute in a lot of different ways at this point in time.
Speaker 2: So Hamilton out there, how do you think he's moving around with that biration? I thought he moved pretty good. You know, I was pretty happy to see it.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: He he wasn't a full participant.
Speaker 3: He was out there for a lot of most of the practice, did as much as he could and we'll see how he progresses as week goes on.
Speaker 6: John obviously helped is a big part of this game.
Speaker 7: What do you how impressed you just with your team, even despite your own injury issues to still have all fifty three guys on the field today in December.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that's a that's a plus for us. We've Hey, we're happy about that. You know, you guys have been around here the last few years. So that's a that's a that's a major plus fours. So but we've got to go out there with all all of our fifty three and everybody else and play our best game on Sunday to have a chance to win this game.
Speaker 8: John, you've got regressive on Fort Detroit this year as much as this last game.
Speaker 9: A couple of situations in Fort and Clerk at the fee goal.
Speaker 10: Is that match up based in this last game?
Speaker 11: And is the unit out of place where you feel comfortable going for there to be made for the Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I think there's always growth to be made. I mean, you know, so I'll say all the above, but there was no fourth in like ones or less than ones in this game.
Speaker 2: There are more two and threes.
Speaker 3: If I if I, if I remember right, you know, I have to go back and look at that. So you just take every situation as it goes in the game. You know how you feel about adding points and the risk in terms of making the field goal where you're at as far as punting, I think all that goes into it. I don't think it's any grand really, you know, assessment compared to other years. Really just trying to do the best we can. We definitely have confidence in our ability to get it. So we'll see what happens going forward. Tape, I see a really good quarterback, you know, I mean it's a big broad question. Ryan, you know, you kind of opened a lot of doors for me there. You know, what do you think of Trevor Lawrence? I think he's really good. You know, he's big, you can throw really good, you can run really good. What else can I say? The guy's one of the best quarterbacks in football. So that's what I see on tape.
Speaker 12: Don just now. I think he has this streak of a half sack like ten street games. I mean, how impressive is especially for an interierity, because.
Speaker 3: Well, it's is that record. It's gotta be some kind of record, don't they record? Okay, I'm for that. I'm for tying the record down, for beating the record and I'm for extending the record.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's it's he's just he's having a fantastic season and it's just not surprising, you know. I mean you saw it as he all through the years. By sawt in training camp. We all did. And he works hard every day. He's humble, he's he's determined, he's confident, and he wants to be the best player he can be. He plays, he plays for his team. I just you know, there's nothing about about him that isn't an a plus. And to see him have that kind of success, you know, it's awesome.
Speaker 11: I think Malik is a guy that just come back to him for a second and like, what do you like about him? Given this unique skill set in terms of obviously you mentioned your sior angle part.
Speaker 9: Of that, in terms of what he could actually.
Speaker 2: Do, Yeah, it's gonna be really interesting to see how it develops.
Speaker 10: Some me.
Speaker 3: He's a quarterback, you know, there's no doubt about that. I mean, he's he's he's here to play quarterback and develop as a quarterback. And and that was kind of the future move you know down the road. Uh, that's that's just an opportunity. I think when you're a general manager, you've got to look for all those opportunities. And Eric is is you know, he's the best, So he does that and that's part of it. But in the meantime, you know, he's he's talented enough and willing enough to help any way can.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of how you see it.
Speaker 7: Quack, why did you decide that you wanted to ask some more into interview for that position because he said he never expressly.
Speaker 11: Said he wanted it.
Speaker 7: And since then, when you see performances like Lamar Jackson just had, where do you see he's into influence in.
Speaker 3: The way he spent well, I mean, T, you know, is a quarterback coach. You know, he's been a quarterback coach in his career. He's uh, he's been an offensive coordinator. You know, he played quarterback obviously pretty well at Tennessee and then in college. My brother I worked with him at the Raiders, so T, you know, T's always I've always seen Te as a quarterback coach in that sense. We did a great job with the wide receivers and uh, and when we were you know, just looking to kind of see what we're going to do in terms of taking the step that we've taken in the off season. It just made a lot of sense to ask him the interview. And and I'll say this, when he did an interview for it, he did a tremendous job. I mean, really really great job. Just kind of kind of blew me away. Not that I was surprised by it, but you know I was. I was kind of expecting it, but then you see it and you're like, wow, this t was He's the guy for the job, you know, And and he's just done a great job the Dolphins.
Speaker 6: The Dolphins lost since the last time to talk to you. So you guys are in the number one spot in the conference now, I know you don't want.
Speaker 12: To get ahead of youth.
Speaker 6: Is there some excitement for the team and having that goal with the number one seed out there to chase so clearly or you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just it's knowing's there's no number one seed. There's no such thing as that right now.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. There's just because they put.
Speaker 3: A bracket up on TV screen doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 2: It's it's what you do.
Speaker 3: So we our guys understand that we've got to go earn everything we get and if if if we earn it, then that's that.
Speaker 2: Then we'll get it. If we don't earn it, we won't.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna try to as many games as we can, climb as high as we can, but really just play one play at a time as well as we can compete as hard as we can every single play, every single series, every single quarter, every single game, and that's our focus, and that's really all we're thinking about.
Speaker 10: John, there's some special teams coordinators gaining head coaching buzzes, things kind of regress and what about special teams and from that background, did you feel was beneficial for you and transitioning into a head coach.
Speaker 3: That maybe, Yeah, everyone has a unique kind of path and to see see guys that come up in different paths other than you know, the traditional offensive coordinator quarterback path is good and there's great coaches you do it that way too. But you know, I think one thing about that particular route that you're talking about is the opportunity to be really well rounded in terms of the game management, dealing with the roster, the roster decisions, being able to kind of have a relationship with all different players on the team, and then also being involved most of the special teams coaches have coached different positions over the course of their career, offense, defense as well. So just being able to have an umbrella kind of an understanding, I think is a big, big advantage that they have. It's kind of been overlooked a little bit over the years, and uh, I think more of those guys should get an opportunity.
Speaker 2: I hope somebody does soon.
Speaker 3: Again, you know, I like to think it worked Okay, it worked out pretty good the last time.
Speaker 2: So hopefully one of those guys will get a shot soon.
Speaker 9: You think Todd Munket's personality has fit in in terms of just the firing nature, his energy, and I'm talking about specifically, and like meeting with his players seem to really appreciate his kind of you know, loud, boisterous kind of style.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean he's he's he's he's got everybody's got their own style, and Todd style is is Todd style, you know, and it's it's his personality and really good and it's he's a very good teacher, He's a very good he expresses things, really was a great communicator, makes it very clear you know what he's looking for and he does it in a real energetic kind of way.
Speaker 2: You know, in it's a fun way.
Speaker 3: And I don't know, I just I think he's a great football coach doing a great job. And I agree the players have have latched onto it and they appreciate it.
Speaker 2: And uh, you know, so as the.
Speaker 7: Release of the game on Sunday, Josh Allen he sending one of his better seasons rushing the past. So what have you seen from him in the challenge.
Speaker 2: That he might right?
Speaker 3: Josh Allen usually coming off our left side. He's gonna have to We're gonna have to be account for him and everything we do. But you know, gosh, I mean the whole front. They got a really good guy on the right side, and they got two guys back in those two guys up that play all the time that are really good too on the edges and got they've got two good great inside in the middle, linebacker inside backers, and that front is pretty dominant too. So some of the best defenses in the league. And we're getting ready for him.
Speaker 9: Remark how much time with had to go and stand headed Ryan to Redino Blubbers earlier.
Speaker 11: Shady clip of Kevin Zeitler kind of shifting over sides and catching on Donald.
Speaker 9: And a block that freed up the bar after work with.
Speaker 3: Strangple, What has that unit been asked to do a terrific pass blocking there? And why do you think they been successful at the games a center. Well, I think we've seen you know, we talked about the challenge this week and I told the guys in the media sporning, but we've also seen the best in the league, and that's been a week after week here in the last month or so or more. I think the offensive line I've done a phenomenal job, and I put the running backs in that category two. As far as pass blocking, but that was you're talking about passing off a game and a twist, which is what Jacksonville does a ton of. They're really good at it got to be great at that, but that's what offensive line play is. And our guys, I think our guys are the best in the business. I'm proud of those guys. I think Joe and Mike do a great job. But I think we have really great players that really just work hard every single day and all the details, kind of blue collar work to make a payoff like that on Sunday that.
Speaker 1: Was takeing coach John Harrball. We also heard from a quarterback Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 12: Familiar face out of practice day with.
Speaker 13: Yeah, brother, what do you kind of see is uh?
Speaker 12: You know with him joining the team. Kind of the potential he has?
Speaker 14: Oh man, the type of potential man, great quarterback. You know I've seen the first hand, you know, when he was a freshman at Louisville.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 14: And you know obviously had to watch some of his high school highlights because that's just what we do, you know, we know watching each other play football. He's, like I said, great quarterback, man, explosive, can throw the ball anywhere on the field, make guys miss.
Speaker 13: He can do it all.
Speaker 6: Are you fit up nothing but division leaders over the next three weeks? Do you like almost having like a mini playoffs before the playoffs?
Speaker 14: I like playing football, so it really doesn't matter, you know, I'm just gonna have fun.
Speaker 7: Are you shared the advice the aguilar gay? Prior to that Dave Flowers touchdown?
Speaker 15: What difference has he made to me?
Speaker 10: In his addition, just because he has veteran leadership too?
Speaker 5: Is win a championship as well?
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, just like that prime example, that just that situation on just vet knowledge, you know, just bringing knowledge to the gam and knowing on what guys would do, you know, just how to take ownership of, you know, within a play, not being selfish, you know, stuff like that, because that was very unselfish of him to you know, I'm just gonna run this.
Speaker 13: Gud the way and JL be open.
Speaker 14: You know, some guys probably be like, if I ain't getting the ball, I'm just gonna do whatever I do. You know, so small stuff like that, you know, just separation some from other guys or.
Speaker 1: You obviously about one a MVP before and certainly in the conversation again this year.
Speaker 10: Does that mean something to you? What do you make of that?
Speaker 14: It's an honor, you know, just like you said, just for me being acknowledged, you know, just being that MVP conversation with great guys who's who was all up being nominated for. But you know, I'm just staying lock there, trying to win because i want another championship, if anything, another trophy, if that's you know what that means anything.
Speaker 16: Your last two opponents, Jaguars and the Rams, their most recent games have been against the Browns. Is there anything to seeing what may in the yps North team or what they're trying to do to.
Speaker 8: Attack a defense. Is that something that you guys pick up on or is that not really the focus? And when you're kind of deconstructing the film, so that's the question. So the Jaguars and the Rams, their most recent games have been against the Browns, and do you see and when you're picking apart film ways that maybe the Browns are going after those opponents that you guys try to pick up on or is that not really how it works on the film?
Speaker 13: Rakdown, No, that's not really hot. Ors.
Speaker 14: You know, we pretty much just how to give do our thing, you know, but you try to find out there isn't outside their defense. You know, they put us in a better situation of when we face when we face them, because.
Speaker 13: Teams play different.
Speaker 14: You know, we can't go off how they played the Browns because our guys are different.
Speaker 10: Curious what you took notice of Isaiah likely to touch?
Speaker 14: They already told me it was gonna do it, like if if either one of them scored, they gonna do that celebration.
Speaker 13: I'm like, I'm not.
Speaker 14: Worried about it. But they really did it. So it was pretty funny. I was definitely laughing about it was cool.
Speaker 13: I liked it. I liked it. I give it a to give.
Speaker 11: Actually, you had some thumbs up for celebrations.
Speaker 13: Okay, so about that the thumb down? All right, So I didn't.
Speaker 14: The only reason I gave h my thumbs down because I feel like we wasn't in sync with it, Like the whole team wasn't, you know, going in on the celebration. It was like him and Bait only and everyone else was like clueless, like we were like, what's going on? So that's all I but that was horrible, Like next time, let us know, give us a heads up, you know. But it was good when I caught on what was going on the bouquet flowers, like, okay, that was nice. It was a nice thought.
Speaker 9: That has been more coordination.
Speaker 14: How Yeah, because after I told him about that horrible celebration that he did the first one, you know, the second one was pretty good, him and Odell when they did the little whatever it was, it was pretty dope.
Speaker 13: I like that one.
Speaker 14: And then this past you know, Sunday, the one with him and likely I liked that one. That was pretty good as well, but they been stepping it up they stepping up the mom.
Speaker 7: What do you make of Zay's comfortability now? Uh, not only just on a touchdown grab, but even the two point conversion catch that he makes. I mean when you go back and watch those plays again, are you watching his maturity right now?
Speaker 14: I mean I been knew what he was capable of, you know, just from us being in South Florida, just training, you know, just build a chemistry.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 14: And it's just his camp, you know, just his first day at camp. How he's just elusive and he's trying to get better each and every play. You know, if he make a mistake, he's trying to redo it and get better at it. You know, I've been seeing the maturity. You just got to keep getting better, keep being him money.
Speaker 4: Just what stands out to you when you're talking together about him and his game.
Speaker 13: He's unique.
Speaker 14: You know, he's one of one of one only he can do it he do when he's on the field, you know, and when he gets his chance and to show the rail, I believe people gonna see it, you know, just not from college, just when he enter the league, because we've seen the preseason when he was with the Patriots.
Speaker 13: You know, little glimpses of it, but I just think the roil love him. At the Scott's Lemon.
Speaker 15: Phone, Mark John was talking about how clean the offensive line kept you for the most part. He also praised the running backs to pass protection. When you watch you go back and watch games, what like about a guy like Justice, He'll stands out in froms of pass protection specifically.
Speaker 13: Because things that stand out is, you know, Justice.
Speaker 14: People might look at him like, oh, he's an under sized back or something, and he might not be able to pick up a lineback of blicks. He shows you on film. You know he steps up, take on the block just like he's two hundred pounds. You know, he's just a great all around back. He can do it all.
Speaker 13: Run out of.
Speaker 14: Batfield, catch out to batfield, supposed to runs, bring power and blocking.
Speaker 13: He can do it all about fastball game.
Speaker 9: And you guys are obviously doing more dropbacks this year, doing more passing year. How do you think they offered the blind as a bapt in to what ties got to do with the continuity that they've had. However, adjusted to you personally supporter back and become more.
Speaker 14: And I believe that, guys, justine just fine. You know anything we need I want to do, I believe they're capable of doing it. Uh, just practice me perfect And I feel like, you know, the more we practice, the better they get. The more we out there passing the ball, the better they're getting, you know, and I'm protected, Like you know, you guys just said they're just blocking the tail off.
Speaker 9: Do you view your relationship with Tyler Linderbaum and have you sensed this year or him becoming a little more talkative, just kind of showing his personality more than maybe he did as a rookie where he kind of just went about his business.
Speaker 13: Tyler has been the same since his rookie year.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 14: The only thing changes he's been in there. You know, he's been in the league another year, actual year. But Tyler has been the same. You know, the knowledge is there, you know, the vocal is just speaking being a leader. You know, even though he's young, he's been a leader, you know, just stepping up and just as he's smart, very smart. Tennessee Center, Great center.
Speaker 11: Lamar, how are you different than twenty nineteen, Different.
Speaker 14: Between nineteen old that obviously four years older. Well, I don't know, man, I don't know, I don't know. I can't tell you not right now.
Speaker 13: At least.
Speaker 1: That was quarterback Lamar Jackson. We also talked with linebacker Patrick Queen.
Speaker 13: After last year.
Speaker 4: That game didn't get the end of any guys one of them, wouldn't you see guy all film and convin Trevor Lawrence some of the teams of time to get that again. Just doing what we do best, keep the ball in front of us, be able to make tackles in open field. Kid got a great arm. You could see coverages, and the players do a good job once they get the battle in here and making place for him. And Travis is a great back. He could do everything on the figure receive. You can run the ball behind the line, you run behind his paths and stuff. So it's it's a full long challenge that we just gotta be ready for.
Speaker 6: Honestly, Trick, you haven't been shy about saying how good you think this team can be? How bad do you want the number one seed in the ANC?
Speaker 4: We want it bad. We wanted bad. If we don't get it. We made the playoffs, We're still in there. We still can dance, and I think that's the biggest thing. As long as we have our spot in there and everything else. Take care of yourself.
Speaker 12: I know this type of defense probably the run defenses, and where you guys wanted to be. How much do you guys take that to heart and how close do you think it is or how easy to kind of taxpense.
Speaker 4: We're looking at every way to improve that. Man, honestly, just coming down to err man owning the gap and doing the best they can. Sometimes they'll have numbers on you and somebody got to just make a play. You have to take it, take two gaps. So you know, we're looking at ways to improve that. And internally player wise, we all want to improve on that as well. We're all talking about it ourselves that one of us might have to go to extra mile to make a play, So that's what we do. We'll do it.
Speaker 9: Patrick Com. You guys got a bunch of guys who signed here or whether it's in the off season or even during training camp, Vanoi, Malet, Darby Clowney. Why do you think the locker room and this team in particular is such a good fit for a lot of these guys. Why are you able to sort of integrate these guys so quickly and these guys a lot of them are having kind of career type years.
Speaker 4: I think what we do allows everybody just to be free and just do what they do the best. They do everything that you see that we do. Everybody has a certain role, certain job, but at the same time can do everything else, can also do the other persons job. So when you got interchangeable pieces like that where everybody can do everything, they keep stuff moving, keep offen is guessing and that's why everybody is performing the way they perform.
Speaker 9: From a personality standpoint, do you think there's a sense of be yourself where guys aren't asked to kind of stifle their personalities or to change what they've been doing.
Speaker 10: In the past.
Speaker 4: Definitely, And no coach is not asking to change anything. They want you to be who you are now. Certain stuff like setting the edge, all that stuff. Obviously you gotta do all that stuff. That's that's football. That's we're gonna stop the run, so that's always preached. But as far as like how you rush or how you want to set a block, set the edge, you could do you got free will at that.
Speaker 3: Obviously this defense.
Speaker 5: As Briven Due, you know, one of their groups and three this year that you know the question, Really, you guys have a lot of pride, but you're going up against the quarterback like Lawrence at a team like Jackson whatever, as the porting offense.
Speaker 1: How important is it for you guys as the defense to deliver a really strong show when you play well.
Speaker 4: I just think that goes back to last year with the solar taste that we left in our mouth from that game last year. So we're looking to improve and every aspect of our defense. We just got to go in there and play our game. Play play bullyt football, play Ravens football. Just everybody do their job to the best of their ability, going there, confident, going there swinging. We just gotta be us, I see, that's all. It's gona take us being us, us being bullets that's going out there and dominate with.
Speaker 12: With Odell, we see him, I mean he talked there, right. I saw him come up to your locker room and talk to you. How would you just kind of describe him as a leader.
Speaker 4: He's a great guy. You know, the media got their own perception of how Oldell is, But to me, Odell's like the big bread I never had. He's just great guy, does everything for you, always making sure you're straight, always joke and always climb to always make sure you gotta smile on your face. And that's actually kind of a guy that we need in the locker room, to be honest with.
Speaker 10: You, Pries. Sports media and sports culture puts a heavy emphasis on championships and de emphasizes the regular season. So when you're virtually guaranteed the spot in the playoffs, what keeps you and this team pushing, you know, as hard as you guys do during the regular season in these final few weeks.
Speaker 4: Uh, But when it's his job and everything gets uh looked at, everything is great. And I think at the end of the day, you just want to be great. You don't want to be you don't want to go out there put in the battle film. You don't want anybody to be able to say, yeah, we got one on you. You just want to be yourself. You want to be dominant, You want to be fearce. You want to be fear You want to go into the playoffs and knowing everybody has the mindset of we gotta play Baltimore. So I think when we go into those last four games, we're looking to just dominate everybody like everybody's on our list.
Speaker 1: That was linebacker Patrick Queen. You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. The Ravens are gearing up for the game on Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars. It's going to be a prime time matchup coming up on Sunday Night Football. We'll be back with you again tomorrow as we hear from the coordinators in preparation for this game. Thanks for listening, Talk Key again tomorrow.