Speaker 1: Hi, Curse Up listeners, I know you miss me on your feed. Don't worry. We're working on an all new season of Curse Of coming out later this year. In the meantime, if you can't stop thinking about the shocking stories you heard about America's Next Top Model, you'll definitely want to check out our new docuseries from E Dirty Rotten Scandals. In the series, you'll hear from the America's Next Top Model participants you heard from on Curse Of, and a few you didn't like. Former A and TM judge Janis Dickinson. Dirty Rotten Scandals unveils the dark underbelly of the long running TV series through the untold stories of former contestants, and shows what happens when a golden opportunity for aspiring models unravels into a harrowing saga of exploitation, shattered dreams, and resilience. You can find the two part docuseries Dirty Rotten Scandals America's Next Top Model on E Network check your local TV provider schedule. We've all heard about A and TM's controversies, race swapping, challenges, dangers, its photoshoots, and we'll get into all that later in the season. But I want to tell you about one controversy that only the real fans know about, and it's the most telling of them all. It happened to one model who told me her story.
Speaker 2: I'm Angelie Preston. I am from Buffalo seven, one, six, All Day. People may remember me from America's X Top Model Cycles twelve, fourteen, and seventeen, the original winner of Cycle seventeen All Stars period.
Speaker 1: But if you look it up, Lisa Dematto is the official winner of Cycle seventeen. So what happened? Well. To understand Angelee's story, the first thing you need to know is how hard she worked to even get cast on A and TM. It was Angelie's dream to be on the show. She auditioned three times before making it. The first time, Angelie didn't even get a call back. The second time Angelie sent in an audition.
Speaker 2: Tape, the producer called me was like, we want you to come to New York New York City. Had never been to New York. So I go down there and I had nowhere to sleep. I was just a girl with a dream, like, come on, let me just go down here. This is my chance to see the cast and director slip into port Authority and the stall. It was so gross. Yes, I was so hungry, so hungry for a girl.
Speaker 1: Angelie always knew she wanted to be a model. As a kid, she was teased for being tall and skinny. She knew in the modeling industry her body type would be celebrated. Plus, she experienced a personal tragedy after her first audition that made her want it even more.
Speaker 2: I ended up getting pregnant with my daughter, so I kind of like put that dream on hold and was just like, Okay, I'm gonna just be a mom. Maybe the modeling eight for me. My daughter passed away not too long after she was born, and this was in two thousand and seven, so I kind of took that as a sign like maybe I'm not supposed to be a mom yet. And then that's when I auditioned again.
Speaker 1: That was cycle twelve. She didn't make it on the show. During the auditions, she got into a huge argument with another contestant.
Speaker 2: And I showed my ass in Vegas and got set the fuck home.
Speaker 1: I got saying, oh, I was smiling. But Angelie was determined to make it on A and TM, so she auditioned again and finally made it into the house on Cycle fourteen, Angelie quickly became a fan favorite. She's one of my favorites too. Remember Alicia Keys in the early two thousands. Angelie kind of looks like her and has her vibe. But if Alicia Keys was loud and outgoing and didn't play the piano, but you get it the same kind of homegirl vibe and Angelie's hilarious. When I interviewed her, it was our first time meeting, but it felt like I was talking to an old friend. You ever met someone and just felt like they were born to be famous? That's Angelie. But all the controversy around her All Star season overshadowed her charisma and talent before All Stars. When she was on Cycle fourteen, Angelie did well. She made it to the final four, but she was still a little rough around the edges. She got into it with a few girls on her season.
Speaker 2: Bitchated, I'm uneducated.
Speaker 3: I don't know, are you well?
Speaker 4: I'm not educated?
Speaker 5: You know what, I really don't look it up tonight.
Speaker 2: It's really unfair that people assume that I'm uneducated because I talked this way.
Speaker 1: You educated and you ignorant, and you really when the judges eliminated her on cycle fourteen. They said they were worried A and TM would be the end for her, not the beginning. But not too long after, producers reached out to invite her back on for cycle seventeen. It would be A and TM's first and only all star season. They invited former A ANDTM contestants to compete against each other for the title of America's next Top Model.
Speaker 2: This is an opportunity to do it right this time, and they're talking about the format is going to be different for all Stars. They're going to be branding us as celebrities and you're gonna get paid.
Speaker 1: Angelie decided to do it this time. She was going to show a more poised side of herself. At first, the judges were like, where's the old Angelie? But eventually her new approach paid off. When it came time to shoot the finale in Greece, the set was built and the cameras were rolling. Angelie and the other two finalists stood in front of Tyra and Angelie's picture was the final one on the screen. Angelie was crowned the winner of A and TM. She burst into tears. Everything had been worth it. She'd finally won a win that came with one hundred thousand dollars cover Girl contract.
Speaker 2: When I won first, all was had.
Speaker 1: I was like hell yeah, I want yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: My life was changed forever, Like my mom was gonna be taking care of I'm gonna take care of her how she took care of me.
Speaker 1: I wish I could play you a clip of Angelie's win, but I can't because it never aired. Want to Beyond some want to Beyond. Welcome to the Curse of America's Next Top Model. I'm Bridget Armstrong. Last episode, we did a deep dive on cycle one because it's the blueprint for what A and TM became, which was a mega hit. The production grew, and so did the show's popularity. They were filming multiple cycles within the same calendar year, churning out winner after winner. They struck TV Goldous and The Three.
Speaker 6: Supermodel Tyra Banks had an idea for a reality show.
Speaker 4: She called it America's Next Top Model, where she and a panel of judges.
Speaker 1: Set out to find out the next it girl on the runway.
Speaker 3: Fifteen years and twenty four seasons later, the hit show has become the longest running reality function series.
Speaker 1: Airing in seventy three, Country You.
Speaker 4: Go, Girl and the Boss's back.
Speaker 1: As the show's success also meant it had a reputation to protect, they had more to lose. That's a big part of how Angelie ended up having her win revoked by A and TM executives. A and TM never told viewers the real story behind Angelie's disqualification. Fans have wondered what really happened and how the show was even allowed to take the title from a winner. And I'll tell you now, the reversal was completely within the show's rights because of the contract Angelie signed. I've talked to more than a dozen former A and TM models and their contracts came up a lot. So on this episode, they'll take you back to who they were when they signed on the dotted line, tell you what they thought they were signing up for and what it actually turned out to be, and you'll hear the story behind one of A and TM's most shocking controversies from the two models at the center of it. Despite Angelie being the first winner of A ANDTM All Stars, Lisa Demado's win is what actually aired on the show. There will be one final shot which will announce who America's next Top model is. Lisa. It's absolute replacing. You deserve this, Lisa, you are the original. You are a star. I called up Lisa Demato, the official winner of A and TM All Stars, to hear her side of the story.
Speaker 7: I have got receipts, i have got research, I've got names, I've got stories these days.
Speaker 1: Lisa lives in Portugal. She's a mom of two sons and a caregiver to her father. She seems to be going through a nasty divorce. Lisa started a company that makes a food storage bib for toddlers. It was featured on Shark Tank. When she joined me, she was sitting outside on a noisy patio, possibly at a rental house. She was saying it while her castle was being renovated. Honestly, it's a little hard to follow because our interviews started out on a chaotic note which felt on brand but true to model form. Lisa looked great. Her hair wasn't that different than when she was first on A and TM On cycle five, she was rocking a dirty blonde, asymmetrical bob. In fact, Lisa pretty much looks the same, same deep set eyes, same big wide smile. But from the moment Lisa joined our call, she let me know she did not come to play. She's probably one of, if not the most publicly critical former A and TM contestants. We talked for almost four hours across two days. Lisa told me about what she sees as a pattern of manipulation from Tyra Banks and the A and TM producers. She said the show completely ruined her professional reputation. Lisa is one of the most infamous contestants to ever grace an A and TM set. The first time she appeared on the show in cycle five, she was chaos personified. There was her perceived drinking problem that alienated her from a lot of the other contestants.
Speaker 5: Lisa drinks.
Speaker 8: She's going through like bottles of wine, like whole bottles in less than forty five minutes.
Speaker 1: Is sick.
Speaker 9: Definitely think that Lisa's drinking is hurting.
Speaker 1: Her the Josh, You're not gonna want.
Speaker 7: Someone who's an alcoholic to represent America's next hot model.
Speaker 10: Her attitude and like her drinking and everything that she's doing here is just bizarre to me.
Speaker 1: And the time she peed in a diaper during a photo shoot with the guy from MTV's jackass.
Speaker 8: No woman of class, especially a supermodel and making is gonna do something as disgusting as p on herself at her job.
Speaker 1: She managed to shock Stevo, which is an amazing feat. Lisa didn't seem to get along with most of the girls on her season. She came off like a drunk no at all. She was definitely one of that cycle's villains, but she made such great tv A and TM brought her back for cycle seventeen All Stars. Despite the controversy around her win in that season, Lisa believes she was actually predetermined to win the whole thing. She thinks this because of something she says was in her contract.
Speaker 7: I actually signed the winning contract before even going.
Speaker 2: On All Stars.
Speaker 11: My manager was told by production not every girl signed the winning contract, and I asked some of the girls why we were filming, and they said dump. I was set up to win from the very beginning. That was all planned from the very beginning.
Speaker 1: For the finale, She thinks the whole thing was an elaborate plot and that they never intended to give Angelie the win they did.
Speaker 2: Angelie so dirty.
Speaker 1: Lisa says producers manufactured a fake win for Angelie. She said the finale, said in Greece, didn't even look complete. Lisa believes they leaked the alleged fake win to stir up controversy around the season and hopefully boost the ratings, which had dropped. It is true that news of Angelie's win had leaked before the finale aired. An A and TM producer told me that was the real reason the show picked a new winner and reshot the finale. They were worried no one would watch the season if they already knew the outcome. But Angelie told me neither of those stories are correct. She told me she leaked the information about her win after it was revoked. According to Angelie, the real reason A ANDTM producer stripper of her win is much more disturbing. She says, shortly after filming ended, she got a call.
Speaker 2: A week or two later, somebody from the network production called me. I was like, you know, they want to have a meeting with you, and they basically told me we can't air you as the winner because you violated your contract.
Speaker 1: There's a rumor that Angelie was disqualified because she spoke publicly about her win before it aired. The contract explicitly forbids contestants from doing that. But Angelie says she didn't violate this part of the contract because remember, she says she didn't leak her win until after it was revoked. Angeline says producers told her she breached the morality clause in her contract. The morality clause basically says producers can strip the winner of the prizes and title of America's Next Top Model if at any point before or after their win, they are caught or expelo doing something that causes public disgrace, outrage, embarrassment, or otherwise constitutes an act of moral turpitude. The examples the contract gives are getting arrested, charged, and or convicted of a crime, or appearing in sexually explicit material. I know you're wondering what exactly did Angelie do to violate the morality clause, and I promise you we're going to get there. Whether you believe the rumor or Angelie's story, what you need to know now is the outcome is the same. The contract states if a winning contestant breaches any part of the contract, antm producers have the right to strip them of their title and the winnings. So either way. She couldn't fight it, and she was heartbroken. Remember, Angelie really wanted this. She auditioned for A and TM three times before getting cast on the.
Speaker 2: Show That was ball And I was crying right obviously, because you guys just put a dagger through my heart. Iden had all this plans for this money. This was to be my second, my third chance to make it right. I was going to do right this time, and now you're basically telling me, Nope, you just did all this for nothing. Again.
Speaker 1: I got my hands on a copy of that contract, and after the break we take a look and find out what A and TM considered a moral violation. Contracts on reality TV are a pretty standard thing. The contracts ensure that the rights and obligations of talent and producers are clear. On the talent side, on a very basic level, it spells out the payment terms, and on production side, the contracts ensure cast members don't gossip and spoil the show before it comes out or divulge the behind the scenes production secrets. They also want to make sure the cast members can't sue if they don't like their edit wants to show airs. Sophie Sumner is the model I talked to from A and TM's British Invasion season. That was the season where models from the UK competed against American models. She was the winner of that season, but before coming on A and TM, she competed on Britain's Next Top Model, and she told me the A and TM contract was a whole different beast.
Speaker 5: I do remember the America one being like WHOA. I swear the American one was literally like we own you for the rest of your life and everything you.
Speaker 1: Do, honestly like what they said.
Speaker 2: And I think Britain was like you gotta be on camera and baby, like you might make money after him, We'll take it for a year.
Speaker 1: I've read an A and TM contract, actually a few of them, including one from cycle seventeen, and I agree with Sophie, it's WHOA. When I talked to the rest of the models about their contracts, this idea of A and TM owning them kept coming up. Here's Uvi Gomez from cycle four.
Speaker 2: I was like, barely twenty one, just signing my life away.
Speaker 1: And hannahcat Jones, who was the second runner up on cycle sixteen.
Speaker 12: I felt like I was signing my soul away, and I thought about how the opportunity would be life changing.
Speaker 1: So life changing that Hannah looked the other way on a particularly concerning clause in the contract.
Speaker 12: And another thing that was in the contract that I always remember standing out was if something happened to me on the show, if I got insured or even died, my family wouldn't be owed anything.
Speaker 1: If you're thinking, well, that probably just meant Hannah couldn't sue the show should something happen. I'm sure ANTM had insurance to cover the contestants if they were hurt, you would be wrong. The contract made the contestants acknowledge that they were personally responsible for maintaining accident and health insurance to cover any bodily injury they suffered on set, while traveling, or in housing provided by producers. Contestants had to acknowledge they were responsible for insurance to cover short and long term disability, and any insurance that would cover their deaths. They also had to irrevocably waive their right to sue the other contestants, the producers, the production company, the network, and its subsidiaries should physical, emotional, or mental injury occur, or should they die because of something that happened on an A and TM set, which is kind of wild when you remember that on Hannah season they did a photo shoot with live bees, a photo shoot in an actual landfill, and a runway wearing gloves that have been set on fire. Sarah Hartthorn competed as a plus sized model on Cycle nine. She recently wrote a tell all book about her experiences on A and TM. She has a lot of perspective about A and TM now, but when she signed up for it, she didn't understand what she was getting into.
Speaker 4: At the time, we knew we were signing our life away, but I'm not sure I had the prefuntal cortex to really understand the ramifications of that.
Speaker 1: Sarah told me she wasn't the only one who had to sign. Anyone she planned to talk to while in the house also had to sign a contract.
Speaker 4: If you want to be able to call anyone on the phone while you were there, you had to have them basically sign their life away too. My boyfriend, my friends.
Speaker 1: I talked to my.
Speaker 4: Grandpa every week and he was like, I can't sign this, Like I can't and I was like, no, I know, you're signing your life away and he's like, no, you're signing your life rights away.
Speaker 1: Do you understand that? And I was like, I do not. Sarah's granddad was referring to a part of the contract that gave A and TM the right to depict Sarah any way they wanted to, wherever they wanted to, or whenever they wanted to. Here's something strange, u V remembers in her contract.
Speaker 13: It said something wild like we cannot talk about it on this planet or any other planet.
Speaker 1: It was something so odd. I was like, do they know something though we don't know. Actually, I want to read you the part of the contract you V and Sarah are talking about. Here are some verbatim quotes, and bear with me, y'all, this might be one of the longest sentences you've ever heard. I irrevocably grant and release Poddle is Tyra and Kim Max's production company, in perpetuity and throughout the universe, the exclusive right to depict, portray, and represent me in my life and all episodes, exploits, events, incidents, situations, and experiences contained in or associated or related to my life, including, without limitation, my experiences and connection with the program, my life story. And yes, it actually says life story in the contract and the material in theatrical motion pictures, television programs and series, theatrical stage, presentation, radio, internet websites, programs and presentations, other audio visual, audio visual and or print productions, books and other print publications, the production, reproduction, exhibition, broadcast, distribution, adveratarse promotion, and other exploitation of the productions in any and all media, whether now known or hereafter devised. Who Now, this didn't mean that after the show, A and TM could barge into the contestants home and film them eating dinner. What it meant was that any footage A and TM got of the contestants, whether it aired or not, could be used. However, and whenever A and TM wanted, and here's something disturbing, they could even use footage of the contestants partially clothed or naked, whether they were aware or unaware of such videotaping. To this day, Tyra and Kim Max's production company could use old A and TM footage and edit it in any way they wanted to, and the contestants can't sue. Signing this contract gives the production company the right to inaccurately portray the contestants to convey whatever story they wanted to to. Here's what the contract actually says, Pottle and producers may depict and portray me in my life story, either accurately or with such liberties and modifications as producers determined necessary and their sole discretion, for the purposes of fictionalization, dramatization, or any other purposes, including without limitation, to achieve a humorous or satirical effect, and by means of actors who may or may not resemble me. Remember now, this is a reality TV contract. I asked a few crew members about this actor clause, and to my knowledge, the show never actually passed off an actor is one of the contestants. But let me explain a situation in which they could have used this clause on Cyclephour. According to a contestant, she had a loved one in a car accident and she wanted to leave. The show asked her to stay for a few days so they could make a plan for writing her off, So she stayed until the next elimination, where of course she would sit home. Now, one of the things the contract doesn't allow the show to do is physically restrain contestants or keep them on set when they're asking to leave. So if she had insisted on leaving the minute she got the news, legally the show could have replaced her with a look alike or a look similar. Now, signing this contract might sound worth it if you wanted to use your new found theme to become a public figure, But there was a catch. A ANDTM contestants told me they couldn't derive money from the show for at least ten years. They couldn't do a paid interview about A ANDTM, couldn't write a book about it, an article, make a YouTube video, anything for ten years. The All Star season seemed to have a shorter window, but most of them were still under their contract from their first appearance, and there wasn an NDA. If you violated it, you could be fined up to five million dollars. In Sarah Hartthorn's memoir You Want to Be on Top, she would count Top practically threatened her with this NBA. They told her that if she talked about her experience on ANTM, her wages would be garnished, and her children's wages would be garnished, and her children's children's wages would be garnished until that five million dollar penalty was collected. Here's Gina Turner, who made it to the final two on cycle twenty four after being eliminated and brought back.
Speaker 9: A lot of people are given hush orders. A lot of people are forced to shut up. We have a contract that states if you breach it, if you speak out. I don't know about other past contestant cycles. Mine was a contract breach of four point five million dollars, Like, where do you think I'm going to put four point.
Speaker 1: Five million dollars?
Speaker 9: Barely any supermodels to this day even make that amount of money. But it's like they use more of scare tactics and threatenings via the contract to I think convince people not to talk and not to speak.
Speaker 1: You may be wondering who in their right mind would sign this contract, and the answer is kids. These were naive teenagers and twenty somethings who were being offered the false promise of a career in the modeling industry. Sharon Brown was the first person eliminated on cycle eleven. She was really cute, with big, bright eyes and an infectious smile. She looked super young because she was she was eighteen, but she hadn't even graduated high school. When she was on the show, I.
Speaker 6: Missed from my graduation, all the seen year festivities and everything.
Speaker 1: To the ale Americ City Hall. It actually the day that I got eliminated was the day of my graduation. Sarah Hartstorms was in college, but she'd barely watched television when she signed up for A and TM.
Speaker 4: I was eighteen when I auditioned and nineteen when we shot the show. I am from a town of seven hundred and sixty five people. My graduating class was fifteen kids. There is no TV in my hometown still to this day. You can't get regular cable because the cables don't reach it's too high up the mountain. So I didn't know anything, you know, I had never seen any reality TV.
Speaker 1: Sarah went to college in Boston and that's when she was introduced to TV and A ANDTM. She remembers going to the casting call and being told to do her best runway walk.
Speaker 4: They were saying, well, you've all seen models walk the runway, and I realized that the only models I'd ever seen walker runway was like the one season of Top Model that I'd watched before I was on the show.
Speaker 1: Kenya Hill was a finalist on cycle four. I remember Kenya. She was my pick to win when I was watching her season. I was sixteen, and to me, Kenya looked like a sophisticated adult. She had that sharp jawline and thousand watts smile that made her look like she belonged on a college brochure. I didn't realize it back then, because to a high schooler, a college student looks like a sophisticated adult. So when Kenya was on the show, she was barely older than me.
Speaker 13: I was seventeen years old. I was a freshman in college and I was living on campus. I actually auditioned for Top Model twice. I did the first audition while I was living in my dorms at school, and I had to go rent a VHS recorder. Okay, we're talking ancient times, so I had to go rent one from like the campus's radio section and self tape like me walking on the runway, which was like the dorm at my school. And I remember having someone take some photos of me on a disposable camera. Because I had zero modeling experience, I just knew from watching America's Next Top Model the first like two cycles that I needed to be on this show.
Speaker 1: Kenya wanted to be a model because it was one of the few places where she saw people who look like her, and she thought the best way to get into the industry was to go on A and TM again. She was seventeen.
Speaker 2: I had always wanted to model.
Speaker 13: However, I was bullied pretty badly in junior high and in high school. In my community where I was living, it was cooler to be thick and curvy, and I was not that can.
Speaker 2: We curse on this thing?
Speaker 13: I didn't have no ass okay, and I felt like modeling is the one area where I'm accepted, Like, Okay, I'm really slim, I'm tall, and I would be able to thrive in this area.
Speaker 1: If you're like me, you would probably never go on a reality show. So it might be hard to understand why anyone would sign such a one sided contract. These days, the answer is generally fame and money. Nini Leaks of The Real Housewives of Atlanta reportedly made two point eighty five million dollars a season at her peak, but numbers like that are usually for the biggest stars in reality TV. The cast of Love Island USA season seven allegedly got fifteen hundred dollars a week. Now, no one's getting rich off that, but it is something to help with expenses back home while the show is in production. For most reality TV personalities, the big paycheck comes after the show. These days, they can roll their new found fame into influencer status, and that means lucrative brand and endorsement deals. But here's what you have to remember about A and TM. The first twenty seasons of that show were shot before Instagram became popular. I mean, King is sentent a VHS tape for her audition. This was before reality TV contestants could cash in on becoming influencers, and back when A and TM was on, there were no standards for how much reality stars should get paid. There barely are today. The contracts the A and TM contestant sign outlined a per diem, a small daily stipend meant to cover a like personal items and food for when they were in the Model House. The amount ranged from season to season. Sarah remembers hers being so low she had to choose between eating and saving money.
Speaker 4: Most days, we weren't getting paid except for a stipend that we had to use to pay for our own food. It was thirty seven dollars a day.
Speaker 1: The exact amount differed from season to season. In fact, it laid that out in the eligibility requirements the contestants saw before auditioning. It said they would receive a per DM allowance, with the amount to be determined by the producers. Sarah was paying her way through college. She'd lined up a summer job at a blueberry farm before she got on A and TM. She of course chose the show, but that meant she wasn't going to get those blueberry earnings.
Speaker 4: And so I got very obsessive about saving money and eating as cheaply as I could, and eating as.
Speaker 1: Little as I could.
Speaker 4: If I like bought food that wasn't good, I had to throw it away like that would be the end of the world.
Speaker 1: Here's cycle to a winner. You want a house.
Speaker 5: We were not paid. We were given a per dim. I believe it was like fifty dollars. And I saved the per diem because I stayed till the end of the show, so I never blew through my per dim. I saved it. And that was actually the money I used to move to New York.
Speaker 2: Was the per dims by.
Speaker 1: The time Gina Turner came around on the last season, the budgets were a bit tighter.
Speaker 9: Our per diem started at like twelve dollars a day, and then if you made it past the next following elimination, it got bumped up to like nineteen twenty dollars a day, and then if you made it past another one and it was twenty four dollars a day if the so it was like gradually increasing the more that you made it. But it's not like you can pocket any of that money. We live in the hills in La Everything is expensive, and then people don't understand we're paying for our own food. And then not only that, we didn't have a washer and dryer in our.
Speaker 1: House, so they even we had to pay to get their laundry done. There are people who would say, well, this is what they signed up for. Their payment was the opportunity to be on the show. In fact, Farahart's one got this very comment from someone.
Speaker 4: On Twitter, and I was like, no, we got forty dollars a day and we had to use that to pay for our own food. That was the tweet and people were like a surprised to hear that, but also they were so.
Speaker 9: Mad at me.
Speaker 4: There were so many people who were applied to that tweet, like, you knew what you were getting into, you got paid in exposure. You're just bitter that you didn't win, And I'm like, I'm not bitter that I didn't win. I'm bitter that there were a lot of girls who couldn't afford the mental help that they needed after the show. I've been so surprised by the backlash when I have said that I think.
Speaker 1: We deserve to be paid.
Speaker 4: It feels so not controversial to say I think people should be paid for their work.
Speaker 1: That's interesting because according to A and TM, the contestants weren't employees. That's how they were able to avoid paying them a real wage, even though they showed up on set for twelve plus hour days. It made Tyra in the network a lot of money. They signed a contract that only entitled them to a minuscule per dim Now, to a teenager in the early two thousands, a few hundred dollars might seem like a lot of money. Kenya Hill made it to the finals on her season, which meant she went on the international trip to South Africa.
Speaker 6: We're best believed by the time we got to South Africa, I spent all that money shopping. I definitely spent that money. But later on, like a couple of years after doing the show, I remember feeling like this sucks. Like this show now is blowing up and it is in over one hundred and seventy countries, and we don't make a dollar off of this, And so it just at that point, like after I saw how big this show really was, like it felt like they get to make money off of my likeness forever.
Speaker 1: Just a little context. In two thousand and nine, two years after Sarah went on the show, Tyra Banks was on the Forbes Top Earning Women in Primetime list. She reportedly made thirty million dollars between A and TM and her talk show in one year. Of course, ANTM was Tyra's idea and she was the star, so she deserved to make the most money from it, but damn she couldn't break the models off a little thousand dollars or something. You might be like the people who clap back at Sarah online and disagree with me. There are a lot of people who say, per the contract day signed, the only contestants who deserved to make money from A ANDTM were the winners, except there are a few winners who also didn't get paid. You want to house one cycle two. If you google A andtm's best photo, her iconic helmet photoshoot where her hair is swept up and she's just serving face still comes up to this day. She's definitely one of the faces of A and TM. But you may be surprised to know she didn't win any money from the show.
Speaker 5: It was just a contract, and then there was a contract with Suppora and that was only for a short time. There was no financial reward. There was nothing as far as monetary compensation. Nothing you want.
Speaker 1: This agency representation did meet. It was easier to book jobs, but she couldn't use any of her top model portfolio photos because they were too unrealistic, which meant that after her win, she had to move to New York and immediately start booking test photoshoots.
Speaker 5: I had to test that day, go to some incredible photographers that have been doing international vogues and start testing. And I was getting builled for everything. I was getting built for every car, for every pres event, I was getting built for the testing. I was getting built for the dresses that I thought were given to me, and that was me not asking, thinking oh this is so cool. They're making sure i'm dress. No, everything was builled. So after a month of doing a press tour, you know, having these interviews and having to look like a million dollars, then comes the bills. So now I'm having to pay, and I'm in debt, and I don't have a place to stay. I'm living on a couch from a makeup artist who extended their couch for me, and yet I'm like famous, and everywhere I go people are wanting my autograph, taking pictures with me. And it was a very stressful time.
Speaker 1: And not only that, her win meant she had to continue to promote A and TM after her season ended.
Speaker 5: I also had to do a lot of continual press for the show, and it was not paid, so that would take precedence over any sort of jobs or castings that would pay. Tyra owned me for that year. The network owned me for that year. That's where the frustration came. I started getting angry. I started kind of almost not liking the show anymore. And it was really hard to not get kind of in that headspace of being better towards the show because I'm like, okay, you spit me out as a winner. I won it rightfully so and now I'm having to look and be a million bucks but I'm not making any money right now.
Speaker 1: On cycle three, the cycle after Yawana's Top Models started awarding one hundred thousand dollars prize, Eva Marcel, who went by Eva Pickford back then, was the first winner to get it, but ANTM was not contractually obligated to give any winner anything even if the prize was announced on the show. As we heard last episode, Cycle one winner Adrian Curry says she didn't get what she was old. The contract was very clear that these prizes were given at the producer's discretion and they didn't have to live up to what was promised on the show. Here's another thing in the contract. Producers could take a win from a contestant award it to someone else, even if they take the finale episode, crown the model the winner and sent them home to wait for their prizes. There were clauses that protected the producers if they decided to strip the winner of their title and the contestant couldn't do anything about it, which is exactly what happened to Angelie Preston during the all star season of Top Model. Coming up, you'll hear the disturbing truth about Angelie's revoked win.
Speaker 2: When I won first, all was had. I was like, hell yeah, I want yeah, yeah, my life has changed forever, Like my mom was gonna be taking care of I'm I'll take care of her. How she took care of me.
Speaker 1: That's Angelie Preston talking about how she felt after winning A and TM. I told you the story at the top of this episode about how Angelie was originally given the crown at the end of season seventeen. My team has talked to contestants and crew who were there when Angela was named the winner. Even the official winner, Lisa Demato, remembers Angelie's face after Angelie won and they were heading home.
Speaker 7: I remember in the airport, Angelie looked finally at peace, like her chin was held so high.
Speaker 2: She was so proud of herself.
Speaker 1: But Angelie being the original winner is about the only thing they agree on in this story. Here's what Angelie says happened after she went home.
Speaker 2: I got a phone call from somebody associated with the show, maybe like a week or two later, and was like, hey, have you been telling any of the girls about what happened to you?
Speaker 1: Here's what happened to Angelie, the thing that got her disqualified after her first full season, cycle fourteen, Angelie was trying to start her modeling career. She had trouble booking jobs. She done well in the competition, but the edit made her seem difficult to work with, like a loose cannon. She couldn't get signed with an agency. She also had trouble finding a regular job. Things got bleak and she got desperate. One day, she was in Queen's walking with a model friend she'd met in New York.
Speaker 2: We were just walking out Jamaica ab the av just two lost models, not knowing where to go, what to do, and this guy pulls up. He pulled up in this nice Mercedes and I was just looking real regular and he got out the car, had nice shoes, silk shirt, like, he looked like somebody and he was like, you know, a cap trying to talk to me.
Speaker 1: He got her number and they started talking, but Angelie said something felt off. He started asking her about how she made.
Speaker 2: Money, because I was telling him, yeah, I got money problems, like I'm a struggling model, and he like mentioned something about like going on dates, and I was like, what the fuck? This is like some models inc shit, Like I heard about models, you know, being escorts or whatnot, but I don't think this shit was real. So that kind of turned me off.
Speaker 1: She stopped talking to him for a while, even booked a modeling job that paid her five hundred dollars, but when that ran.
Speaker 2: Out, curiosity just peaked and ended up texting him. I was like, are you a pimp? And he was like, are you a hope? I was like what No, I was so offective and he was like, look, the girls I have, they just make money. So I'm like, but is there like sex involved? And he was like, no, you don't have to sleep with anybody if you don't want to. My dumb ass elite believe in it, Like, oh my god, a world where you go on dates with guys and they just give you money because you're beautiful.
Speaker 1: Angelie was twenty five at this point, but she told me she was really naive. Buffalo was a small compared to New York City, and she was about to become a cautionary tale.
Speaker 2: I ended up meeting two of his girls. They were like in this like ritty Manhattan hotel. One of the girls had a cute little dog, dad Louis bags.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 2: They were giving makeup, hair, Lubaton, shoes, roles, and I'm like, dang, these girls ain't got to sleep with these guys to get on this.
Speaker 1: I could do that.
Speaker 2: I could be pretty and go on dates and get the bag.
Speaker 1: She told Silk Shirt she was down.
Speaker 2: We ended up flying to North Carolina and I had nothing to tell anybody like what I was doing, you know, because I was like, well, I'm just I'm just going on a modeling trip, you know, because I don't want nobody to worry, because at the time I wasn't worried myself. And when I got there, the girls, the same two girls I had met, They were like, they're going to the strip club.
Speaker 1: They were going there to pick up clients, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, oh, I was like, I don't know what was at the strip club, and so they looked at me like I was crazy, Like I didn't have a choice. The one girl was like, I don't know what you think this is, but he is going to expect you to work, and I'm like work and they were like yeah, and I'm like, so y'all, y'all be having sex with these people for money? What the fuck did I get myself into? So I'm like, okay, well, I don't got no money. I'm already here. I can't get signed, and I gave up on modeling. I had given up on my dream. I thought it was over for me with the modeling, and I'm like, shit, I need money and I'm here why not? And I don't want to tell anybody. Look, I done got in this situation because it was embarrassing and I didn't want people to be worried, and I didn't want people to be like, I'll pay for you to get home, because I'm like, well, I'm gonna go back to New York. And then I got nothing. I'm back to square one anyway, so I might as well try and make some money.
Speaker 1: Angelie was so lost and dejected she didn't even think about the danger she was in.
Speaker 2: Not even just putting my body on the line, but just meeting up with strangers, you know, no protection, Like I could have been killed.
Speaker 1: The fear only started kicking in when they went to Vegas and she was worried about getting arrested.
Speaker 2: I didn't of course, want people to know. I didn't want to go to jail. You know this girls on Top Model and out looking around here doing this crazy shit.
Speaker 1: Right, She told Silk Shirt she wanted out.
Speaker 2: He said, I'm gonna pay for your flight to go back to New York, but you have to work.
Speaker 1: Angelie didn't have the money to leave on her own. Plus, she was scared because he'd threatened her and he'd been physically abusive before. Two of her friends eventually found out what was happening to her. One of those friends lived in Vegas. Angelie had actually met her on Top Model she won Angelie season. That friend got Angelie to call her sister and tell her what was going on. Her sister thought she was on drugs. Angelie was still too afraid to tell her best friend.
Speaker 2: He kept me away from New York because there were people like my best friend that cared about me, and he didn't want me to go and have some sense being knocked into my head.
Speaker 1: The guy eventually took Angelie to New York, but to work. Angelie says it had been a month since she left New York to go to North Carolina. Her top model friend says it was longer when Angelie got back to New York. She finally called that best friend she was too afraid to tell.
Speaker 2: I was out in the hotel on Long Island and she was like, just meet me at Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn. I just want to know you are okay. I said, okay, cool, I said, I got my bag here at all. She said, just Lee get back, just to get back. I'll take it over, get it. So I took the long railroad went to go meet her and she said, bitch like. I gave her the longest hug and she's like, bitch, you ain't going back.
Speaker 1: And that's how Angeline got out, through the kindness of a friend who wouldn't take no for an answer. The whole ordeal was short, but she learned a lifetime of lessons. A few months later, she got that call from A and TM All Stars. It was the lifeline sheet needed months before Angeline signed on to do the season, but she was worried the producers would find out about that chapter in her life. That fear was confirmed when she met up with casting director Michelle Mack.
Speaker 2: Ended up having to go to la to meet with Michelle. So when I met with her, it was filmed there was a camera there and she's like, so, what have you been up to. I was like, oh, you know, nothing, just modeling, and she was like, that's it.
Speaker 1: In my life.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, she knows something. She knows something, and I'm like, yeah, that's it. And she asked me, she flat out asked me, was I being penned?
Speaker 1: Angelie lied told her no because she thought if she told the truth, they wouldn't let her back on the show. But her mind started racing to figure out who snitched. Remember, I said two of her friends knew about the situation when she went to Vegas. Well, the one who'd been an A and TM contestant with Angelie said she reached out to top model producers, crew members, Tyra's assistant, and Tyra herself to try to get Angelie out of that situation. The friend said she didn't get much of a response. So this was Angelie's first time hearing that anyone from the show other than her friend knew anything about what she'd been through. She thought for sure she was going home, so she said, in her hotel, waiting for a plane ticket back to New York.
Speaker 2: Before we went in the house, we were in the hotel. Michelle came by with someone else and was like, I just want to tell you I know what happened. I just want you to take this opportunity and run with it. She gave me a hug and I was like, okay, this is our little secret.
Speaker 1: Angelie believes she genuinely wanted to keep it between them so she could have another chance, and it almost worked. Angelie won. Then the whole thing blew up.
Speaker 2: A week or two later, somebody from the network production called me. I was like, you know, they want to have a meeting with you in New York City because at this time I was back in Buffalo with my family. They want to have a meeting with you to discuss sponsorships because you are the winner.
Speaker 1: I said, okay.
Speaker 2: When I got down there, Amanda or our Inte Hotel, I'll never forget Columbus Circle. I'll walk up in that room. The attorney was there from CBS, Laura Feuse was there, Michelle Mock was there, Doctor Zachary was there.
Speaker 1: That's the show psychologist.
Speaker 2: Can Mock wasn't there, but they put his ass on the phone and they basically told me we can't air you as the winner.
Speaker 1: Angelie says the execs told her being trafficked violated the morality clause. Of course, they didn't use the word trafficked, but that's what I'm calling it, and her violating that part of the contract meant she wouldn't be getting the one hundred thousand dollars or any of the other prizes. We don't know how the other execs found out about what happened to Angelie, but if her top model friend called people who worked on the show to get Angelie some help, then there were several people who potentially knew about her situation. Angelie thinks it was another friend she confided in off show. The guy was a photographer and knew some of the top model girls. Angelie thinks he blabbed them. One of them ended up on All Stars, and Angelie says when she got eliminated before Angelie, she complained that she couldn't believe top model was going to quote let a prostitute win. That's Angelie's theory, and we can't confirm that that was the real reason. We just know the cat was out of the bag. After they gave Angelie the bad news, producers flew Lisa Demado and Alison Harvard in to TAPA new finale with Lisa as the winner. Lisa says when they flew into La she and Alison had a talk with Ken Mock before the reshoot. She says he separated them and asked them what projects they were working on and what they would do if they won the show. Then, she says, he had a conversation with them both.
Speaker 10: He goes, don't you fucking say a word about this reshoot? And he put his finger in our faces, me and a El and we're standing right next to each other in the hallway and he goes, both of you, don't say a fucking word, do you hear me? Like threatened us. Then we got driven to the studio in the valley and it was the same set that they were shooting Cycle eighteen.
Speaker 1: Lisa says, the next season was already in production and they used that set to tape the new finale. The whole thing was done in a day, and Lisa was the new and official winner of Cycle seventeen. In a way, both Angelie and Lisa fell victim to the A and TM curse because even though Lisa was given the title, she didn't enjoy her win. It had a dark cloud over it. When the finale of Cycle seventeen finally aired, Angelie's win had already leaked and Angelie wasn't there for the reshoot, so the judges had to address Angelie's absence.
Speaker 6: Well, we're back in Los Angeles on the Top Model set, and we're here for a special finale that's been conducted under unusual circumstances.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it turns out that after shooting was wrapped, a production team and the network learned information from Angelie that disqualifies it from the competition.
Speaker 1: So what does that mean, Well, it means.
Speaker 3: We're now going to do our final judging with the remaining two girls, and in the interest of fairness, that producers and the network thought it best to evaluate Alison and Lisa on their own without the added competition of Angelie.
Speaker 4: You know, guys, we wish Angelie the best in all her future endeavors.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely absolutely so. Were ready to proceed with our final judging?
Speaker 9: Yes, let's do this.
Speaker 5: Are you ready?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: That statement overshadowed Lisa's victory. Fans were angry because Angelie was a fan favorite and Lisa was not.
Speaker 11: I got so much backlash after winning all stars.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 14: Everyone thought that I paid somebody off, that I blackmailed somebody, that I just stole her, when that it was undeserving.
Speaker 2: It's like, you don't know my story.
Speaker 10: Nobody knew my story, nobody knew what I.
Speaker 7: Had gone through my whole life leading up to that point. It was so devastating to get the backlash again when I went on that show to redeem myself, and the way that they also weaponized this whole finale that also really hurt me as well.
Speaker 1: Lisa was the villain all over again. I think that's why she clings to this story that she was always going to be the winner. Whether it's true or not, it eases the sting of her win being Angelie's misfortune. Lisa may have gotten the America's Next Top Model title and one hundred thousand dollars, but she never got to redeem her image. She still gets hate mail to this day. Angelie was devastated for a long time. She tried to sue A and TM for three million dollars, but eventually dropped the suit when she realized the contract she signed was ironclad. She didn't have a leg to stand on. She thought signing that contract was going to make her dreams come true, but it ended up being her nightmare. Angelie eventually gave up on modeling. She was getting older and the damage was done, but she found a new dream. She went to college got a bachelor's degree in journalism. She's the first person in her family to finish college. After graduation, she got a job as a host and reporter at her local public radio station. Today she's a working journalist and a mom in her hometown, the seven one six, Buffalo, New York. I don't think Angelie, Lisa, or any of the other models I spoke with thought their A and TM journeys would end up like this. When they sent in those audition tapes and signed the contracts, they thought they were getting a head start in the fashion industry. They certainly didn't think they would be talking to me twenty years later about how the show still haunts them. As this podcast continues, you're going to hear more from the models if they tell you about the experiences that have stuck with them. These contestants weren't just tyrist props. They were real people, real people whose NDAs have finally expired, and they want to tell their side of the story. On the next episode, we're going to get into one of the most disturbing parts of A andtm's casting process. I'm talking about the psychiatric evaluations. Psyche Vowls are standard in reality TV. They're used to make sure a potential cast member is mentally capable of handling the stress of being on reality TV. But what I've been told about ANTM psyche vows raises serious ethical questions. Contestants told me about deep personal trauma they shared that was later used by producers to manipulate them. I've also heard about possible bias that kept certain contestants out and let others slip through the cracks, some of whom met tragic ends after the time on A and TM. Thanks for listening to the Curse of America's Next Top Model. We really appreciate the support. We'd love for you to really show your support by subscribing to our show on Apple Podcasts, and don't forget to leave us a five star rating and review. If you love the show, tell your group, chat, your co workers, your friends, your mama to check us out, and if you don't, maybe keep that one to yourself. Thanks again to all of our listeners. The Curse of America's Next Top Model is a production of Glass Podcasts, a division of Glass Entertainment Group, in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. The show is executive produced by Nancy Glass, hosted and senior produced by me Bridget Armstrong. Our story editor is Monique Leboard, also produced by Ben Fetterman and Andrea Dunning. Associate producers are Alisha Key, Kristin Melcriy, and Curry Richmond. Consulting producers are all Over TwixT and Kate Taylor. Our iHeart team is Ali Perry and Jessica Klincheck. Audio editing and mixing by Andrew Callaway and Matt del Becchio. The Curse of America's Next Top Model theme music was composed by Oliver Baines. Music library provided by mid Music. Special thanks to everyone we interviewed for this podcast, especially the models for sharing their stories. And For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Also check out the Glass podcast Instagram at Glass Podcasts for Curse of America's Next Top Model, behind the scenes content and more.