Speaker 1: Who do you think is the greatest Super Bowl team? We're we're a little biased here, and we got six you know, that's it. That's the record.
Speaker 2: It's not four touchdowns in sixty six. But on today's episode legendary actors starring in two of the greatest sitcoms of all time, Ed O'Neil pulled that thought. We're covering super Bowl nine Pittsburgh still is for some Minnesota vikings.
Speaker 1: This was not too long after I got cut. Yeah, so I was still following things pretty closely. How mean was mean? Joe Green? Mean as hell? My whole idea was knock the shit out of you and I'll progress. Instead of tackling, I would hit him with a forearm. It was like Kamakazi football.
Speaker 2: You would have been a great special teamer.
Speaker 1: Probably they good doggy back Doggy thraining. Who's the coolest cameo you guys ever had? Oh my god, that's impossible. Impossible. We had Lawrence Taylor, Kenny Stabler, Bubba Smith. We had a thing where we come up against each other. It was a goal line stand and when we rehearsed it, he couldn't go back. It was like getting in with an actual Grizzly Bear. And finally I went to the guys and said, Hey, this ain't gonna work at Chris Farley. I knew Chris can't remember that seedy Farley stories. I'll tell you the greatest Farley story you'll ever hear in your life.
Speaker 2: Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Games with Names.
Speaker 2: I'm Julian Edelman, that's Kyler, and we are on the search to find the greatest game of all time. Jack's back in North Carolina today. He's still stat correcting, though, folks.
Speaker 3: He's blown up mine. He's blown off the phone. Yeah, he's with us.
Speaker 1: He blown it up. He blown it up.
Speaker 2: On today's episode, we're covering Super Bowl nine. The Pittsburgh still is for some Minnesota purple people. Eater Vikings defensive line with former Steeler and legendary actor star of FX's clipped Ed O'Neil. On this episode, we get into talking old Polkai football.
Speaker 3: You guys know, touchdowns nineteen sixty six.
Speaker 2: In one game, one game, in one game, City Championship, City Championship. What it was like starring in two of the greatest sitcoms, sitcoms of all time, we get into talking Steelers, you get an inside perspective. I mean he was on Chuck Noles first yep Steelers team and training camp.
Speaker 1: Mean Joe Greens first year or two? Mean Joe Green? We asked him, is me and Joe Green? That mean you get the insune in and you'll know.
Speaker 2: And then we wrap it up with hitting the old hotline. Great episode. Look forward to having you guys. Listen, Let's go.
Speaker 1: January fifteenth, nineteen seventy five, two Lane Stadium, New Orleans, Louisiana. Still Curtain versus the Purple People, leaders for all the Marbles. On a cold, wet afternoon in the Big Easy, A dynasty is born before our eyes. This is super Bowl Nice. That was great. Welcome to games with Names.
Speaker 2: We have a very special guest, an idol of not just me, my father, anyone who's over thirty. Their parents all grew up with him in our household. And then he went on to go on and do another crazy sitcom that took over and it was like the best sitcom modern day. Marywood Children. We have Ed O'Neil, thanks for joining.
Speaker 1: Us, Thank you, my pleasure, Jewel. We got Kyler over here. We got Leah and Jackson. I didn't meet you actually, and today we are looking at Super Bowl nine, the Pittsburgh Steelers versus the Minnesota Vikings Classic game. Now, why why do you like this game? I like all the Super Bowls? Yeah, you know, and this was not too long after I got cut. Yeah, so I was still following things pretty closely. And you know, I knew all about frank O Harris and those guys because they came a year after I got cut. And I'm when I got cut, I said, I got cut. I had a cup of coffee with them. Basically, That's about it. But yeah, so I was still, you know, sitting in the bar with my buddies watching these games. Yeah, and glad I wasn't playing at that point. Yeah. Well you had to be vested because you got drafted with me and Joe Green. You got drafted with a lot of these Pro Football Hall of famers, and so you got to enjoy. And it was Chuck noles first year, right, it was noles first year, and so you got.
Speaker 2: To you had his first training camp and you got to know these people. So you get vested because you have relationships with these guys.
Speaker 1: Huh. Yeah, I mean it was you know, it was. It was very intense. You know you've been to those camps. I mean I didn't make a whole lot of friends. It was a job, yes, but it was it was fun. I actually enjoyed it. Yeah, as opposed to college. I mean, you know, I don't know why you would think it would be the opposite, but I actually enjoyed the training down there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know what people don't realize because I was a very similar situation as you. You were a priority free agent, so they signed you exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was a seventh round draft pick, which is the last round of our draft, which some would argue it's better to be a free agent because you get two years contract instead of locking you.
Speaker 1: In for a third.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And you were a quarterback. I was a quarterback. But the mental aspect when you're on the team and there's ninety guys, they got to cut it down to fifty three and you're sitting where you did you used to play the numbers game, You're sitting in training camp. Well, they're going to keep this guy, They're going to keep that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had I had a situation where, you know, I don't know if yours was the same as ours, but ours the Steelers they would put a board up and if your name wasn't on it, you were cut. So it's kind of a nice way to do it. You know, you don't see your name as this guy got cut. You know, people don't know you. They don't even know you got cut.
Speaker 2: And it's completely changed nowadays. Nowadays, you'll be sitting in the locker room and they have this guy with everyone calls the Turk. It's probably like he's like an offensive assistant of assistant of another assistant. And he comes up to your locker and he taps on your shoulder and he says, hey, head coach wants to see you. Bring your playbook.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I had that. See they went to they went through when it started out, okay, they had so many guys they cut the way I just mentioned. But then if you got along some then it turned into uh, oh, by the way, coach snow would like to see you in his office in your playbook. That's what happened to me. Yeah, so but then there, you know how nice they are to you when you're going there.
Speaker 2: You know we're going a different route.
Speaker 1: You know, you're just not well with me, it was, well, you never played outside linebacker and you're trying to make the team and learn the position at the same time. That's hard to do. I said, yeah. He said, well I think they I think I think I remember it as well. You can go to the Eagles if you want to and have don't give you a good look. We'll rent a car for you. You can drive down the PA Pike. But I need to know right now. And I don't know what happened to my thinking. It was like, you're gonna what I want to drive a car the Philadelphia No, I said, I've done. I'm finished. Thanks a lot. Well that was it, but I was getting sick of it, to be honest with you. I played for two colleges. I had some knee problems, and I just I don't know what it was. I didn't even like coach as much, you know, I got I don't I like Noel. He was when I didn't get to know him much, but he was a real gentleman, and I thought he was a nice guy. He was, but I had coaches in college I didn't like at all in high school too. I had to start thinking maybe it was my fault. It was to that point. Gee, I was finished. I said. He said, well, what are you going to do? I said, I don't know, but not this. And then I remember when I went to my back to the dorm room I had, you know, I had a roommate. His name was Clarence Oliver San Diego State. He made the team as a defensive back and he only played one year. I think he broke his back, but he made it. But I went in and he was like, what happened? What do you think? So I was backing up and the guy came in, you know, they said, well, the car's out there. Where do you want to go? And I said, Pittsburgh. I'm not from Pittsburgh, and I but I knew a guy. I knew a friend in Pittsburgh. So I said, now I'm going to Pittsburgh. And he says, okay, we'll drive you to Pittsburgh. You know it's not too it's Latrobe. So he said, we'll swing by the stadium on the way out because your cleats are there in the locker, and we got a lot of swag for you. We got great jerseys and T shirts and hats and shorts. And I said, I don't want any of that shit. He said, you don't want the it's good stuff. I don't want it. I'm gonna wear it. I'm not wearing it. I don't want the cleats either, I'm not going to use them anymore. So he took me into Pittsburgh and I had this rudimentary idea of where my friend lived. So I was trying. I didn't want to go home. Yeah, it was what it was. So I didn't you want to go home? You know, I mean, that was all screwed up. I thought, I don't want to go home and have to explain this. So I said, uh, it was still in the summertime. So I directed them up a street and I saw a bar. It was a local bar with the door open the summertime, the doors no air, you know, the door were open. I said, right here, my friend lives right around that bar. Just drop me off here, you sure, you know? They kind of said, yeah, give me the bag audios. So I went in the bar and it was like two o'clock in the afternoon, and they were like a couple of you know, locals. It was a local joint. Ye. Yeah, So I walk in. I'm twenty three years old. They don't know me. I'm a stranger in this neighborhood and they're looking was this good? I order a beer and they got the TV up high, you know, on the wall, and we're watching it and the the news comes on and they're showing Armstrong walking on the moon. Wow, that's when I got cut. And I'm thinking, well, if somebody had a good day, he had the golf club, right yeah, And I'm watching it and then they went to the sports and of course it's Pittsburgh, so they go linebacker Ed O'Neill released today from the Steelers, and there's my picture and these guys are in the in the bar and they look. They go, you're at O'Neill. Yeah, yeah, and they said, your money's good here. Now they're all buying me drinks. I end up at three o'clock in the morning and some some car with some girl with a state hoopie pulling me over. You know, I don't even know my name at this point. And the guy looks in and I think I had my shirt off and you know, that was almost naked. And I'm driving though, and he says, you know, I had my drivers. He said, did you get cut today from Pittsburgh. I said, yep. He said, miss can you drive? She said, yeah, he just he's just driving around. And he said, can you drive this guy home? And she said, I'll take him. Says he knows somebody, and he said, letting him go because it was you know, it.
Speaker 2: Was Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers. They love them Steelers.
Speaker 1: Even if you got cut, it doesn't make any You're still part of the team. You're still part of the team anyway. That's my I don't think i've told that story ever.
Speaker 3: That So you were a defensive wineman in college.
Speaker 1: I played mansome joker middle guard, middle guard on defense, okay, and I played defensive end and I played tight end in college. Okay. You know I just went around like that.
Speaker 3: So what was the you said that You mentioned you were playing outside linebacker in Steelers camp?
Speaker 1: What was That's all you got? That's all they had for me. You know, I couldn't be a cornerback. I wasn't quick enough. I mean I ran a four seven forty in sixty eight. That's that's my number though, But you know that's fast. I was about two thirty.
Speaker 2: Four seven for seven, then two thirty that's like a two sixty guy running four six.
Speaker 1: And then I did. But you guys didn't train.
Speaker 2: For it like that. That was athlete, that was that was fast. Then I don't know, you only had a couple of four four guys in the team.
Speaker 1: Well, you know when I did, I did it. I narrated the thing on uh Peyton Manning, you know that timeline and when I and it was so nicely written. I was very impressed with it. And this was not long ago. And I was struck by the fact that he was coached. And you were too right. Your dad was a coach. My dad was a coach. And I mean I was never coached. Not I don't think I was really ever coached. We just played pickup ball. And when we went to high school there was coaches there. But it's a long story. They didn't really coach me. It was just my whole idea was knock the shit out of you and I'll progress. So it wasn't the best way to learn football. The game has changed now.
Speaker 2: Well now, that used to be the old that used to be the ultimate equalizer of the guy who will.
Speaker 1: Even then it didn't work right. Even then, it didn't work right. Because you could hit a guy like on a reverse. Say they run around and you're in and you've got a clean shot, and instead of tackling him, I would hit him with a forearm and sometimes they wouldn't go down, you know, they'd spin and keep going. I mean it was like that, you know, it was this. He was like Kamakazi football that you would have been a great special teamer. Probably. I used to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back when I first got in the league, they used to have wedges. Oh yeah on the kickoffs. Now the whole new thing kickoff rules. Yeah, practice kickoff, but it'll be electric. There'll be a lot of touchdowns. But the old days, you'd have three or four guys and your job was to run sixty yards and you hit the three hundred and twenty pound guard that's in the wedge full speed. It's like there's this guy, Bubba Vantrone. He's as a special team coordinator. I think for Indianapolis. That dude used to run down. He was two hundred and five pounds, He could run fast. He was probably a four to three guy. And I swear he knocked himself out at least every game at once. Yeah, but he did his job. Yeah, he was a badass at doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were the guys when I was playing that, you know, there were hitters today. I mean the game has really gotten so much more sophisticated. I mean really, I mean athletically, size wise, speed wise, and even when I played, it was a lot faster than college. Yeah, you know, like if they're like I'd getten a scrimmage and some plays I never even got touched because I wasn't where I should be. They'll leave you alone. If you got in the action, that's where you got hit.
Speaker 2: There's rules, yeah, and it through any I mean it's like with anything over time. The evolution, the technology, the information, the studying of the older habits, the studying of the newer athlete, the new penalties, the new rules, everything dictates the type of game. Let's jump into how how did it go down when you sign as a priority free agent. You went to Youngstown after going to Ohio University, which I was a mac daddy. I went to Kent State used to play against Ohio. Actually went to a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went to Kent State. I went up there. I'd watched games and I watched, Oh you play Kent State. Somebody won in a field goal. I forget. I think, oh you won a field goal, like fifty one yard field goal or something. It was unbelievable and that, you know, I was happy, but I couldn't show it because I was with my sisters at Kent State. Yeah, but I can't stay. It was a nice school. It was. It was cool. I mean, I was your coach. It's a strange coach. I had, Doug Martin. No, I'm thinking of a different guy.
Speaker 2: Well, the cool thing is so you probably you're sixty nine. Saban went to Kent State. I think he was out there seventy he was seventy two was his last year. He was on the MAC championship team, the last MAC championship team before I got there. But uh Ohio was always like the did they have cool halloweens at Ohio University back then?
Speaker 1: Because that was like the thing. And Saint Patti's Day was a big day. Yeah, they died the Hawking River Green Yeah, oh man, it was. It was, oh you suicide. It was.
Speaker 2: It was a fun school it was, and a.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, beautiful Hawking River Valley and all the buildings, I mean it looked like it was made in eighteen hundred. It was really nice. I even got in trouble, I mean trouble with the coaches playing there, because when I came from Youngstown, our manner of playing in Youngstown was what we talked about, and it wasn't that way at OU. For example, I did very well at middle guard at high school because I was only about one point eighty, but I was fast. It was very quick, and I'd play over the center and i'd bang them and you know, depending on the field, i'd go, you know, or i'd shoot a gap, blow a gap. When I got to Ohiou, they had a really good middle guard that had graduated. His name was Lance Tigger. It's a great name, yeah, And he was not a big guy, but he was very good player. And his method was he would sit back on his haunches at the snap like a baseball catcher, and he would kind of use his forums as his hands to gep yeah, as a shiver, and then he could go when I was long, and I couldn't do that. You know, I was on all four and I had to be going forward. And they kept making me like play like they wanted me to play like him. I said, I'm not him. I'm not built like him, so that was my right off the bat. It was like I was starting as a freshman. Yeah, I mean, but it was illegal, so I couldn't actually get in the game. But they were in spring ball. I was first team.
Speaker 2: And then didn't you because you played freshman ball, you couldn't start, didn't you used to play against Roger stall Back?
Speaker 1: Well, I played against Staubach in an actual game. Yeah, explained When was that he was Let's see, that would have been sixty seven. It was a military game, right, Yeah, he was at Pensacola Naval Station. He was doing his bit his time after Annapolis, and they had like two or three all American receivers. I think one was from usc and one was somewhere else. So he just for him to throw to, you know. Yeah, And that was the longest goddamn game I ever played in my life. He threw every play and if you did, if he didn't throw, he just ran around back there, chased them, chase him, and I finally hit him out of bounds illegally because I chased them, chased them, chased him, and he stepped out and I just kept coming and it was right on his sidelines, and there was a guy named Lynch who was the heavyweight boxing champ of Annapolis. Oh, he wanted to kill me, you know, because he was on the sidelink. And I said, hey man, you know I chased the son of a bitch. You know I'm gonna hit him. I'm good friends with Roger.
Speaker 2: Now Oh yeah, yeah, he's a studied came and talked to our team a few years ago.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, we'd always.
Speaker 2: Have someone influential that has had a lot of success in sport or something to come talk to the team. And he he was an interesting guy that just you could tell he Dudley do right crosses his t's do You could just that, And he was you could tell he's a leader.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he'd said, gosh, darn it, he whizz come out there. You know, I'm you know, my out Youngstown, Ohio baby Youngstown. But he's a wonderful guy. And that guy was such a great great He's the best I ever played over or played against Himyah, there's no doubt he was the best. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: So how did you who who was your team growing up in Youngstown? If if you was that because the Browns were really good then Giants were because because that's what you saw on TV.
Speaker 1: Probably I saw The Violent World of Sam Huff. Yeah you remember that. No, Oh my god, I'm so old. It was one of the first things out in this in this format. And they had a linebacker from West Virginia who went to the Giants, Sam Huff, and uh, they we all know Sam Huff, I don't I do do, okay, So it was called The Violent World of Sam Huff and they miked him. No one had ever been miked before and it was it was like an hour long special of him middle linebacker, and that got us all gone. Man, it was you know, it was great. Yeah yeah, and talking bullshit and everything, you know, talking ship. It was great. So that's so. But even before that, I don't know why. I must have been my dad. Somebody liked the Giants and uh and we didn't like the Browns. Yeah, I don't know. And I went up to training camp. I had my dad take me up because it was Hiram College, well you know, he was from Kent to watch the summer workouts and Jim Brown was playing. So I in my life, I've never asked for an autograph in my life, not before or since. And I was I think twelve, and he came out, you know, he was like, you know, it was one of those dog day afternoons, right, and he's sitting there and he's got his pads here, and he's just and he had that mohawk. The guy looked like he was great. You know. The guy was amazing looking. So my dad said, go again, no, I've got so I went over to him and he looked up a him and he saw me coming, you know, and it wasn't a happy look. And I said autograph. He said not now walked away. I never asked for another a graph in my life. And later I met Jim and got to be kind of friendly with them. Much later, you know. I think when one of the elections, I ran into him and I told him that and he said, oh god, damn, I'm so sorry. You know, I used to do that shit.
Speaker 2: In Jim's defense though, like you said, it was the second the second.
Speaker 1: Practice was it was the second practice.
Speaker 2: Guy's been running. They're running those guys like dogs. Back in those day. That's when training camp. You look at a training camp nowaday, you laugh. I had double days early in my career for three years, and we jumped over to the new rule where you can't have one every five days, and it's changed. That's when like training camp, these guys. They used to get these guys in crazy shape. They'd work them to death. There was no analytics on loadage or anything. It was more like when the coach got tired of yelling, that's when practice was over.
Speaker 1: That was about it. In fact, that day they scrimmaged and Brown. You know, of course everyone's watching Jim Brown and Frank Ryan was the quarterback. Remember Frank Ryan, And uh, I'm watching Jim Brown, and he wasn't doing anything. I mean, he'd come out of the huddle, he'd be in the huddle, the huddle would break, he'd hardly move, take one or two steps, and then he just like he wouldn't even get in a three point maybe very slowly. Ball would be snapped and he'd walk off to one side or the other and they'd either hand it to a running back or Ryan would throw a pass. He didn't move, and I thought, he's not even practicing, you know. So one play he walked off to the side, Ryan went back to throw, and then he drifted out and he got a little screen out to the left right by us, and he turned. He's coming hard like running towards us. And then he's cutting it up and there's two guys coming to hit him with the sidelines. One went low, he hit the guy with his knee, and the other guy came high and he punched the guy in the neck, I mean hard, and dropped both of them and took two more steps and stepped out of bounds and then he walked back. That was Jim Brown's thing. Oh my god, it was something to say. Man. Was he was bigger than those guys. He was to twenty five to thirty, and he was faster than every waist. Was this big?
Speaker 2: Was he the best football player you ever saw.
Speaker 1: That I ever saw. Yeah, there's no no question.
Speaker 2: Belichick talks about how good Jim Brown was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I knew Lawrence Taylor pretty well. You know, Lawrence did our show and he was with us for a week. That's the best way to play football. Have a show where you're you're in that ridiculous uniform there and you never get hit. Pokai pocai jack. Oh you got that? My god, that's great. What are you talking about. That's so funny.
Speaker 2: My dad is the Al Bundy of pop twelve year old Pop Warner football coaches. He never played football, but he thinks he's Al Bundy of the coaches of Pop Warner of twelve year olds.
Speaker 3: So for the audio listeners, Jewels just put on a Polkai varsity jacket.
Speaker 1: No, that THEI jacketing. I didn't see that over there.
Speaker 2: What memories do you think about when you first see this jacket?
Speaker 1: Well, we had so much fun on that show. I mean that show. It was a crazy show. The writers creators of that show was a Jewish guy from from Brooklyn and a black guy from North Carolina, and together they were like they look like gas station attendants, but they were brilliantly funny guys and just completely out to lunch the whole thing, you know. But we were laughed so hard. I mean it was it was really hysterical. And you know, every year we thought we were going to go you know, like every season I thought, two three shows, they're going to tell us to go home. Yeah, and it just kept going.
Speaker 2: Now it was an eleven year run, you guys had, which spanned a lot of my childhood. But getting in that routine, that that day to day life when you know, because I remember being with Grown for ten years, you know, when you come to work, he knows when I'm in a bad mood. You know, when they're in a bad mood. You're in the locker room. Then you got to go out to practice and perform. And you know what I mean, did you have any of those moments where you kind of just knew what was going on?
Speaker 1: Well, how was the day to day life? Well, when you're very similar to playing ball, I mean without the contact, yeah, it's you know, you know, and of course it's it's guys and gals. Yeah, so that's that's obviously different, but you're still performing. You know, you've got a live audience, and so you kind of it's a teamwork thing. You really do have to have that kind of sense of a team and uh, you know, when one's down, you try to pick them up, and you know, yeah, it's it's very similar actually. And also the discipline that you that you do develop, you know, somehow playing football help me, you know, because I you know, like even now this thing I just did FX promotes like you can't believe, you know, and and I do it so.
Speaker 2: Ed is talking about the news show that premiered I think this week. Yesterday I watched the first episode Clipped. First two episodes came out on Hulu. Awesome story about the whole ending of the empire of the Sterling family, Clippers, the Clippers owner. We all remember that in twenty thirteen, you know it's I watched that. I only watched one episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's ours kind of that's the table. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But that first episode, I mean.
Speaker 1: It's l A, you know, it's l A and all the and all the underbelly of LA and oh it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was really cool, like you got me to forget that you were Albundy modern family dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad, you know. And good acting. That's called, you know, good acting. Well, you know, believe, just sit down and they give you the piece and then they make you. They did something to your skin. Apparently this guy had sort of bumpy something and then tan like he liked the sun, and then the glasses and all that. And then I listened to his voice, which is kind of I wasn't really trying to imitate, how you couldn't but sort of a pedantic way of speaking. You know, like I n g endings were pronounced and a little whiny, you know, and I but that's all I did. Yeah, and everything was in the script. The script was really good.
Speaker 2: Now, how do you remember your lines when you had go through the script?
Speaker 1: Is it hard?
Speaker 2: Because I had some cameos and I get so nervous hard when I'm learning the script.
Speaker 1: But here's what you do. You do you just learned scene by scene. So in other words, if you're doing two scenes in a day or whatever your whatever your job is, you just learned that scene and you just do that scene. And then the next day, you know, you have another scene, so you take it. You know, it's just design to create a story. At the end of the day. You don't have to worry about down the road. You know, that's someone else's job.
Speaker 2: So like on Wednesday, install it's just first and second down, On Thursday's third down, and then Friday it's red area exactly, and then we just put it all together at the.
Speaker 1: End of the day. That you're a genius, you know, Well, this is a.
Speaker 3: Big trend in Hollywood with a lot of sports scripted content happening in the world.
Speaker 1: Well, are you talking about my experience. I did a movie called Little Giants My Favorite, which is great. That's where I met John Madden because John's in it. I'll tell you funny this is. I mean, I'm just all over the place. But when I met John, you know, I was just high high and oh god, this is hilarious. Actually, the first time I met John was in New York City and I'm walking up the street by Central Park with a friend of mine named J. J. Johnston, who's a legendary passed on now legendary guy had been in prison, came out, became an actor, one of David Mammott's guys. Yeah, one of my greatest characters in the world that I knew. And we're walking up and he's got to buy suitcases because he's going with Al Pacino to London to do American Buffalo in London. And he didn't have any luggage because he's from Chicago, but he just took a bag, so he got this cheap suitcases. I'm lugging one, he's lugging the other. We're going back to where he's staying and I hear him go John John Jesus Christ. It's John John and Madden's caddy corner. He goes, hey, what are you doing? Come here, you motherfucker. It comes over. He says, how you doing? You know he's a big guy, John Big, how you doing? Goodness? See, yes, it's good to see your kid. You're looking great. Where you're headed. I'm just going down here. I got to meet a guy for I got a little meeting with some guys here. But some uh you know Ed O'Neil. He said, no, I know who you are. I haven't had the pleasure, he said, ed, John the great John Madden gave me he loves say hello. I said, okay, but he's looking at me like he looks scared. And I thought, what the hell, because we look like muggers. You know, we look like this guy if you saw him. So now John says, hey man, I gotta go, and he said, go ahead, John, lovely to see you. Go ahead, kid, a great guy. He goes down the street and I said, how do you know John Man? He said, I don't, John l He was terrified. I thought we were gonna mug him. So now much later I'm working with him, you know, in Little Giants. And then I did that timeline thing years after that, so by this time, I know his son Mike, who's well, the greatest guy. You know, Mike's a great guy. So Mike called John and said, I saw this thing timeline and on Peyton's comeback with Wes Walker Walker and the neck injury. So he sent it to John. So John sent it to Mike, and then Mike called me. He said he thinks it's one of the best things he ever saw on pro football. Wow, I mean the way it was written. I narrated it. Yeah, you got to check it out. So it's only an hour long. So anyway, I was interviewed about it and I said, you know, I was never emotional about quitting football. Never. I didn't miss it. I didn't give a shit about it. And I'm narrating this thing and I'm almost finished with the narration. We almost went all the way through. And it's like not quite twilight in the in the show, it's you know, it's the sun is set, but it's still light. Yeah, And they're in this abandoned stadium, I think Tennessee or somewhere, and he's doing a mock drive down the field with his receivers Welker and so and so in the running back and he's making up linebackers. You know, watch the mic line. I never heard that term, by the way, Mike linebacker, but they're saying that, and the he's doing the omaha thing, you know, and they're driving down the field and it's it's kind of relaxed, and I'm talking about it, and the dialogue is there's no place in the world he'd rather be than here right now doing this something like that, And I actually got emotional. I mean, the the memories of playing football with my friends as a kid and everything. It was like almost overwhelming. I can hardly talk. And I thought, where did this come from? You know? Yeah, I loved it. It was great. You don't lose that, you know, you think you get away from it, but you really don't now, and that's what you miss the most. Yeah, that's what you miss the most, you know, is your friends and your camaraderie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the locker room time. I mean, I miss competing at a high level. I miss Oh well, yeah you did it at the highest level. You missed that. But you can find that in other ways. Yeah, it's the real you know, getting yelled at with your boys, winning a game with the boys, the flight home after a road victory with the boys, you know, in the team.
Speaker 1: It was awesome. You know. I met Brady when he was at Michigan. Yeah, and he was gonna They were playing the Rose Bowl. They were out in Pasadena, and I got a call from my ex high school coach named Jerry Hanlon he was now the defensive backfield coach from Michigan. Yeah, and he said, hey, you know I was doing married. He said, would you come out to meet the guys. It's like two or three days before the game. I forget how they were playing, but oh yeah, sure. So I drive out and I meet the team, and I meet Brady and you know, he was he was. He was just handing off. Yeah, in Michigan. You can't imagine.
Speaker 2: He had to come back in in the Orange Bowl the next year.
Speaker 1: I think was that it Yeah, okay, he would come back kid, Yeah, but I mean he was. And then I did a pilot with him with oh god, what was her name? A beautiful girl from Texas? Anyway, it was Jessica. No, Uh, I was playing her father and uh and it was her story was and I was, you know, I was along for the series if it went, which I prayed to god it wouldn't go after we shot it. But they had Brady there and they had the linebacker Errington, and they had the kid, a kid from Dallas and uh and they were like so happy. It was like, I think Tom had won one super Bowl and uh that's when you know, I said, I met you at Pasadena. He didn't, you know, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, you no, he knew, he knew, but it was he was just beginning really, you know, although he won that one super Bowl, yeah, I may never win another, you know, but he did six more. Amazing, crazy, just amazing.
Speaker 3: You're you're John Madden's story reminds me a lot of We had Eric stone Street on the show and he had almost the exact same story as you meeting John Madden, but meeting Tom Brady.
Speaker 1: It was him and Brent.
Speaker 3: Veach, who was the GM of the Kansas City Cheeess Brett used Eric as a means to talk to Tom Brady.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: They called him two inch or something. Yeah, Erict two inches just to say hi, and then went back two inch. Stone Street's funny.
Speaker 1: He's amazingly funny, and he's he's a very creative guy. Very creative, I mean amazingly so.
Speaker 2: And he's got a knowledge of everything about the chiefs.
Speaker 1: He can he can pick the Royals, of which he's a part owner.
Speaker 2: Now yeah, is he a part owner?
Speaker 1: He got bought a little share. Yeah, I don't know how much. He didn't tell me. Geez. He's a great guy. He is a really great guy. He's a great guy.
Speaker 2: You know who you should play? I just thought about it. He played Sterling. You gotta you gotta play Chuck Nole. I mean, all these little could you play Chuck?
Speaker 1: No I could play Chuck Nole because I mean, I mean I don't look like Chuck. Oh, I didn't look like Sterling. But you know, Noel was a wine connoisseur too. You know, he was a red wine guy, A very very sophisticated guy, not like your normal coach quiet, but you know, almost like he reminded me of like some kind of bird of prey. I mean, in his look, had the eyes like like a ha hawk that pointed nose thing. Yeah. Him at Bradshaw. You know, they didn't they didn't get along at all. Yeah, I think they. I think they cleared it up at the end though, And he didn't like Handriddy for some reason. Terry Terry was the coolest guy you ever would meet, you know, remember him, Yeah, he was a notre dame guy.
Speaker 3: But he played this year a little bit Terry. Yeah, in this two thousands, nine seventy four season.
Speaker 1: It was kind of a sidearm thing, but it was this year.
Speaker 2: Man, little giants. What about Wayne's World? I used to love I loved jun Waynesbrood, I love d Waynesborod.
Speaker 1: I I did that. I just did that as a favor to my manager's company, Rosting Gray. They produced that movie and it was all about you know, uh Dana Carvey and uh Mike Mike Myers and and then the back when I did it, they weren't getting along and they you know, it was almost like Laverne and Shirley. One would come out, then the other would come out. They do the scene, then they go back. You know. It was like I knew both of them. Yeah, because we were we had the same managers. That's awesome though, that because I've had that.
Speaker 2: I've had teammates where they don't get along, we don't get along, yeah, but to come together to make us something good, and that's hard that's hard, that's real.
Speaker 1: He wrote. Mike wrote that thing for you know, I was that whack job that ran stem mckita's donut shop. Yeah, and I remember I had that one speech in the dead of winter. When you stab them, man, you can see the steam rising from the wounds. Mike was seriously it was funny. You know. You know what was Mike Mike because he wrote that. He wrote that, you know, he wrote all my he wrote my part. And uh at Chris Farley, I knew Chris. How is any Farley stories? I'll tell you the greatest Farley story over here in your life. John Lovett's had a Super Bowl party and he lived in Brentwood and we all a bunch of guys. Everybody went and uh, Chris came in late, just before the kickoff. He came bursting in the door. You know, he made those entrances where he's out of gas. Where's going on? You know, he came flying in and he was coming from rehab in Venice, like his fifteenth trip. Yeah, and we had they had a big spread. It was like a Mexican motif, you know, with the food and everybody had eaten and had or had a plate and everybody was going into the screening room for the kickoff. So Farley runs over to the table and he's piling up food, you know, and his plate. He's in a hurry and it says, leave a little something for the rest of us, Chris. That we all went in and shut the door. But Chris was out there kick off. It's the first series. We're watching whatever, guy, I can't remember what game. And the door opens and Chris comes walking in and he had taken a loaf of Italian bread and he had cut it lengthwise and then he put every condiment that was on the table on the sandwich, you know, Pepperccini onions to make everything. And in between he had sandwiched John Love It's beloved kitty cat, live cat in the sandwich and he was holding it. And he walked in and said, oh, any fucking thing I want to on Super Bowl Sunday, love it scream, you know the cat. The cat was like this, you know, in the sandwich. Is everyone dying? Oh my god? Can you imagine? Oh my god, I can't imagine. But he he was the sweetest guy. He was, you know, he he was you know a lot of people don't know that his father was five hundred pounds. I'm not making five hundred pounds up. Yeah, he was five hundred pounds and a very successful businessman. But Chris had that fat Jean couldn't be thin. Yeah, that's tough, Yeah it is. I have a picture. I must have left my phone in the car. That's okay. We had him recreate it the sandwich with the cat without the condiments, but he did, and I've got the photo. You know, with the cat. You have to get it. Yeah, now we'll be right back after this quick break. We gotta jump, we gotta we should probably jump into the segment where we get into nineteen seventy five. But oh fuck nineteen Well, we liked always we always do it back, I'm kidding you. Yeah, with where the game took place.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to around January twelfth, nineteen seventy five, number one movie, Towering Inferno. I believe they made a remake. You don't like remakes.
Speaker 1: I've heard no, and I don't like that one either. I mean that it was those movies, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Eve McQueen, Paul Newman, Fredis Stare Fey down Away when.
Speaker 1: It was Newman and Steve McQueen, right, they hated each other when they shot that. McQueen used to count lines. He's got more lines than me. Newman didn't give a shit. Yeah, well, they'd say, well, okay, well give them two more. They'd write, you know, so okay, let's go.
Speaker 2: Geez divas. I mean, I guess you had some diva.
Speaker 1: I mean, oh yeah, they're they're there. If Tom didn't throw me the ball at least five times in the first quarter, I was pitted.
Speaker 2: Number onood song Mandy by Mary Manilo. That was a fun That was a fun song. It still has still holds its own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, he was, He was good around this time.
Speaker 2: Wheel of Fortune debuts The Jefferson. Jefferson's premiers are you Will a Fortune Guy or Jeopardy Guy?
Speaker 1: Neither, but the Jeffersons was written co written by Michael Moyer, who had married with children. He wrote I Forgot What He wrote a couple of the parts on that. He also wrote for Laverna Shirley.
Speaker 2: Geez and I heard Modern Family, the Modern Family people.
Speaker 1: Did Frazer Fraser, Golden Girls, Just Shoot Me.
Speaker 3: A number of others Reboot Too, which I thought was really good but just didn't catch on the reboot oh a Fraser, No, the reboot the show reboot on whom.
Speaker 1: Yes, I thought that was good to Yeah, I just had that kid from the Partner Pool and yeah, kid's funny.
Speaker 3: And Johnny Knoxville was in it and he was actually really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, that Ike was shocked when they canceled that.
Speaker 2: Paul Allen and Bill Gates founded Microsoft out in Mountain View. Kel it was in Mountain View, California.
Speaker 1: Look, think it was yeah, up by Seattle, wasn't.
Speaker 2: No, It's I'm from this here.
Speaker 1: I'm from Chilicon Valley Valley. Right.
Speaker 2: They all went out to Stanford. Yah, I think that's where their headquarters is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it on the lake. You had that house, some beautiful This is saying Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Speaker 2: Maybe Albuquerque. We were completely off. We were completely off. Godfather to Godfather to Young Frankensign Jaws Jaws.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. That movie is scared.
Speaker 2: It scared everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it like, yeah, all great movies.
Speaker 2: All those that's what movies were movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Godfather too was great with the narrow Brando, right, Yeah, the third one lost me a little bit in the Godfather. Do you like it. The third one wasn't as good. No, I liked, it's just what didn't. Yeah, two was awesome. You got de Niro, you got to see the had some good performances in there. Yeah, but it wasn't It wasn't as good. It wasn't as good.
Speaker 2: What about in the sports world seventy five, seventy four Super Bowl champions where the Pittsburgh Steelers NFL MVP was Kenny Stabler, the Snake, the snake.
Speaker 1: I met Kenny. Kenny did married with children. He was a really cool guy. Oh, I bet he came on the state we had. That's when I met Lawrence Taylor, Kenny Stabler. Who's Bob Smith? Bubba Smith? What is it? Who the name? No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the name Bubbat Smith.
Speaker 1: No, Bubba Smith. Bubba Smith. Remember Bubba? I don't Bubba Smith? The defensive end for the Colts six seven, three point fifteen. Yeah, I got him right here play for Michigan State. Okay, what year? Uh, I don't know, I forget around my time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Michigan State sixty four to sixty six. Was drafted first overall one one oh man. He was eighteen sixty seven draft to the Rims.
Speaker 1: He did the show he did Married with Children. He played the U spare attire Dixon. He's the one that stole my trophy out of the trophy case. And we had the one on one. Oh, I had to make no, I had to change it to slow motion. I did this. We had a thing where we come up against each other. It was a goal line stand. It was a It had been a contested call in the championship game where I crossed the line. They called it a touchdown and he swore I never got over. So now all these years later, we're going to do it again. And the imaginary goal line, just the two of us. Oh, it was so funny. You got to google that. You gotta watch that show. It's one of the great ones. He and he couldn't. He hadn't done anything, I don't think. And when we rehearsed it, he couldn't pull back. It was like it was like getting in with an actual grizzly bear, that's how strong he was. And finally I went to the guys and I said, Hey, this ain't gonna work. I said, you know, I got to work next week. Going well, let's just go slow motion. He and we'll film it like its slow motion, but it's gonna be slow motion. It turned out hilarious. Then he's a sweet guy too. I bet he is.
Speaker 3: The nineteen sixty six City Championship Polkai Panthers versus the Andrew Johnson High School against Bubba Sparetire Dixon.
Speaker 2: Four touchdowns in one game, nineteen sixty six. Baby, we should have done that game. Who's the coolest cameo you guys ever had? You've ever had in any of your shows, any of anything?
Speaker 1: The coolest cameo on any show I ever did? Yeah, Oh my god, that's impossible. Impossible. We had so many over on Modern Family. We had so many alone. I mean I just couldn't say. I really couldn't say. Have you ever met Bill Walton, Joe, I never met Bill rip I love that I watched that wonderful, luckiest guy in the world, Doc. Yeah, I used to. So I like to pack ten.
Speaker 2: I grew up in the Bay Area, so you know, I'd be in Boston and when I was playing, and it'd be eleven o'clock a night or something, and the Pac twelve team would be playing, and Bill Wallat would be man going on a'd be talking about like a forest in northern California had nothing to do with basketball.
Speaker 1: No, I used to when I was I don't even know when this wasn't. I don't even know if this actually occurred or my brain just made this happen. I remember seeing a photo on the cover of Sports Illustrated of Walton going up. It was either the block a shot, or it was a rebound. I'm not sure what it was, but he was he was up and his hand was this far above the top of the backboard. Yeah, I mean he was seven foot yeah. And then and then he could still jump. Oh my god, I said, this is you know, he would if he didn't have those back problems and feet. Yeah, but when you get those big guys on that shoes back, then we're in converts, right, there's no support with might as well played barefoot. Yeah, and that that that hardwood is hard. He was such a great player. He was amamable. He could do everything.
Speaker 2: He's kind of like Joker.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Jack is texting me, He's saying, your memory is correct. That was March twenty fifth, nineteen seventy four issue.
Speaker 1: You're kidding me, Yeah, your issue? Oh my god, can you bring it up? I mean bring it up. I haven't seen it since then. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I'd like to see it.
Speaker 3: And well, Lea brings us up the Rams linebacker.
Speaker 1: Hacks Reynolds and the Snake. He played with the Niners too, didn't you? And Jack because we used to Jack young Blood. Yeah, played with a broken back in the Super Bowl, played with a broken bone. All right, where is it? There it is? Oh? There it is? Is that it? Well it's not above okay, all right, it was that one. Well I exact Bill Walton, alright, p but you see, yes, I mean that's talk about playing above the rim. Oh man.
Speaker 2: When the A's were good, they won their third straight World Series Oakland A's.
Speaker 1: I remember whether they had the mustaches. Yeah, they looked like the old nineteen twenty players. That was so cool. Who was the picture that was the eighties? Something of the eighty guy with the mustache? Oh god, from the Battle of the Bay is it Dennis? Yeah, Boston guy to Boston.
Speaker 2: Remember we met him at a Strega one night with Nicki Verano. Tony Tony Lesura or Tony Tony Tommy Tommy Lesura.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tommylesorta, who was mentioned in the pilot or the first episode of clipped of Clips.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually wanted to go to the goddamn game. You want to have dinner with Tommy? All right?
Speaker 2: Can we set the stage for this Super Bowl nine starting with the Minnesota Vikings Gui, Yes, I can in tar This was like.
Speaker 1: The Buffalo Bills before the Buffalo Bills. Yep. He was sort of a mini not a mini, but he was of Stoba. Sure, quarterback scrambled. I remember Foreman to Chuck Foreman. It was a wonderful running.
Speaker 3: Back to this nineteen seventy four Vikings team Pro Bowlers Fran Tarkenton, Chuck Foreman, John Gilliam, Ron Yarry, Carl Eller, Alan Page, Paul Krauss.
Speaker 1: Alan Page was from Canton, Canton, Ohio. He had page one. In page two, his brother was page two. Oh wow, wasn't he smart enough to go to college? He worked at Canton Timkin Roller Bearing after he graduated. Isn't Warren right really cool? Yeah? Warren is. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We used I used to go to act one of my teammates house and Warren. We used to this place called the hot Dog Shop or something. I didn't I didn't hang around Warren. Yeah, probably I was pretty much in young Kngstown. Yeah, the middle spot.
Speaker 1: Where you could die at any given moment in Youngstown. And he never realized. I never thought it was dangerous, Eddie di Botless.
Speaker 2: From there, it's the midpoint from chicag I go to New York for a reason.
Speaker 3: So this team was coached by Bud Grant. They went ten and four. They were coming off of twelve and two season and a Super Bowl appearance where they losted Super eight to.
Speaker 1: The Miami Leaders.
Speaker 3: This was their third Super Bowl appearance in as many years and lost. They lost two of them. They also, notably have never won one. This was the team of the Purple People Eaters, the defensive line, Alan Page Call, Carl Eller, Jim Marshall, Gary Larson, Doug Sutherland, the Purple People Eaters. They referred to themselves as the Purple Gang. But because of the song by Sheev Woodley one a one off, one hit.
Speaker 1: One hit Wonder, and their motto was meet at the quarterback.
Speaker 2: Thoughts on the city of Minneapolis or the people of Minnesota ed this, I mean, this is this is prime Minnesota football, if you think about it. They hadn't had this kind of success since then. And then they really do have a crazy fan fan base like those people love Minnesota football, and it's because of this generation of football. Yeah yeah, do you what do you remember the Minnesota Vikings this time?
Speaker 1: Oh? I love the Vikings, you know, I mean they were they. I like the uniforms. I liked the players. They were rough, you know, rough bunch rough, very rough Vikings, you know. Yeah, I used to follow the Vikings. I liked Tarkenton. He was crafty. He was very crafty, slippery. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My dad used to say I looked like him when I was. I used to play quarterback.
Speaker 1: I know, were you You were a right hander. I was a right hander.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I was a smaller guy that would run around and make these crazy plays. And my dad get yell little Tarkenton in Yeah, yeah, yellow tark He.
Speaker 1: Was a bit of a modern quarterback too in this era. Early he would have lit it up. Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he probably would have played eight more years. Can't hit him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, here's the Steelers.
Speaker 3: It just picked up these Steelers nineteen seventy four Steelers Pro Bowlers, Ray Gariela, my pounce is bad me and Joe Green, Elsie Greenwood, Jack Ham, Frank o'harris, Andy Russell, a lot of Hall of famers on his team, fourteen Hall of famers.
Speaker 1: After them, right, Yeah, he was back up Joe Gilliam. There's a kid who could have been a great, great, great player. What happened? Drugs, alcohol, and and I think he didn't get He beat up Bradshaw. Yeah, he beat up Bradshaw. Bradshaw second year, Gilliam was starting.
Speaker 3: So this season was riddled with quarterback controversy. Three starting quarterbacks. Joe Gilliam threw Week six, they were four to one and one, then Terry Bradshaw, then Terry you pronounced him hand ready, Kerry Henriddy, and then back to Teddy Bradshaw, who then started this game. Yes, kind of had to clutch.
Speaker 1: Knowle was just trying to teach him a lesson, like, you know, get with it. You're he wasn't happy up there. You know he was a Southern kid. Yeah, I just thought it. Well, Ham was great. Lambert Ham came right after I did. Was there Jack Lambert Kent State and Lambert Lambert can stay in state. So this year a little bit of a psych go right, a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, The big takeaway on this team is They had an incredible draft and incredible rookie class, so Lynn Swan, Jack Lambert, John Star with Mike Webster and then they signed Donnie Schell.
Speaker 1: All five are in the Hall.
Speaker 3: Of Fame now came into that team this year kicked off the Steelers.
Speaker 1: Dynas No. Blunt was great, Mel Blunt, Hall.
Speaker 3: Of famers on this team are just incredible, Mel Blunt, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Green, Jack Caam Franco, Harris, Jack Lambert, Chuck Noll, Bull nun Art, Rudy Dan, Rudy, Donnischell, John star Worth, Lind Swan, and Mike Webster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were loaded. Mike Webster was a monster. Ernie Holmes had a problem.
Speaker 2: With the now ed when you got there in sixty nine, right, sixty eight, sixty nine, sixty nine, Chuck Nole's first year. Could you feel something special was bruin to where they got five years later?
Speaker 1: No, because I was just like in shock that I was even there. Yeah, walking around. I remember my dad dropped me off and it was, you know, same since college and I got there and the Vets weren't really there yet. There were some that were there for special reasons, you know, they had injuries working on things, and so I was there with all the rookies. But uh, you know, we were getting the rooms and everything, and my father was and my father was a tough guy, and he was very quiet. He was always quiet, but he was very quiet that day. And so he said, well, you better get going dad, you know. He said, yeah, let's go. And I walked him out to the car and he opened the door and he looked around and he said, are you sure you want to do this? And I wasn't. I mean, I thought maybe not. I said, oh yeah, hell yeah, you said, because if you don't, we'll grab your bag getting let's get that all out of here. I said, no, no, go go. Yeah, you know, but he was worried just watching these guys walking around. You know.
Speaker 2: That's what dads do. Yeah, they worry.
Speaker 3: Well, when we had Terry on he he talked a little bit about how Chuck Noll was really early in trying to get plays or some different pockets of the country to try to get the best athletes to really kind of create a little bit more of a integrated locker.
Speaker 1: Rooms round too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at that time I think even said Chuck, no guns like Patot's license, we could fly to these like small colleges all.
Speaker 1: Across the country. He was a sophisticated guy. And uh, I mean look at the look at that, Look at that those guys. There were so many great players on those how mean was mean? Jeal Green? Mean as hell? You know that's the other thing they go, Oh, that's just a nickname. It's it's because he's not mean. Oh no, you know, that's a gun. He was great off the field. He was a sweet guy in a real life. On the field, he was brutal. I mean, you know he used to punch guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah did you know that? Oh yeah, I seen the highlights.
Speaker 1: No, he'd hit guys in the stomach with a fist. He had a great uppercut to the solar plexus. Boom. He nailed these guys. They drop like a sack. I mean, he was brutal. He didn't lift weights, you know, he was what we used to call cock strong. Yeah, just a normal naturally that was a term. Yeah. Uh. Never never touched the weight, but fast. He was a great player.
Speaker 2: One of the all time.
Speaker 1: Anybody this guy could.
Speaker 3: In this game foreshadowing. He had a fumble recovery and an interception.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a tremendous player. He was me, Me and Joe. The best commercial ever made, right, that coke commercial we just ever made.
Speaker 3: We just found out because one of Jules's old coaches, Dante Scarnacio, was acted in a like made for TV movie based off of that commercial.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, yeah, yeah remember that.
Speaker 2: That's right, Dante's Scarnakio. Now Terry did uh all.
Speaker 1: Kinds of cameos, right, Harry did a married with children, and he did a Modern Family. You know, I'll tell you a funny thing. We had lunch when he was doing the Modern Family. Now we knew each other, and uh, we were having lunch and it was a it was a courtroom scene where he had courtroom duty and I didn't. I was trying to get out until I saw it was him. It was my idol, you know, Terry Bradshaw. So we're having lunch and he's looking at me. He says, when did you play? And I told him when I was trying out, you know, and he said yeah, oh yeah, he said, well I played twelve years. He said, yeah, you look you're younger. You're older than me, ain't you. I said, yeah, I'm a year older than you. You look better than I do. I said, I didn't play twelve years in the NFL when they didn't protect quarterbacks. He had some bad injuries. He said, Man, you're right, he said should I said, how many concussions you have? He said, shit, I couldn't count. I couldn't count them all. I said, well that's why you and he had detached bicep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get a bad back to everything.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can't listen. A series of injuries and he's but he's he's happy, he's got a good life. Terry helped build Fox Sports started with the Yeah he was doing the pregame him Howie a lot like Walton, you know that that just that free spirit kind of say whatever. Terry's the best man. He's authentically him, he really is. So I sang in the grand Old Opry, I said, oh I heard that. He said, I wan't any good? But what I sang? And that?
Speaker 2: Did he tell you that they rolled all his fans there or something? He always yeah, he tells me, I've heard these stories.
Speaker 1: Now I know. I know he's a piece of word. Oh he's so funny. He lives in Oklahoma. Now you know, he's got horses. Yeah, he big horse guy. He said he finally found the right woman. You know, he's probably on his third or fourth. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now who's on your Steelers Mount Rushmore though?
Speaker 1: Well, any one of any number of these guys got four h Green Joe Green Well Otey, who's one of my favorite, but he's not on here. He must have come later. Is that that Samoan kid? You know that? That kid? My god, he was one of my favorite players. I mean, just the way he played defense, That kid was right. I mean, did you play against him, did you feel that he was that good? Or was he fading by then or no? He was, he was still that good.
Speaker 2: What made him so good was he didn't necessarily hold the responsibility he was supposed to hold. So, like if you're doing a pre snap read on something and safety comes here, and then you do a post snap and he's supposed to be going this way, Troy would be in a completely different area kicking a ball where you're not accounting for that guy to go there because he's not supposed to be there right right, So he had an instinct that was second to none. Come right over the line, some right over and he would do that uncalled, like that wasn't the call play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't teach that stuff. You can't.
Speaker 2: And a lot of guys try to do that, but they when you do that, you leave yourself your team.
Speaker 1: Vulnerable getting dashed.
Speaker 2: Yea, you know what I mean A lot yeah those but he never really I mean, he'd have his times, but he made a lot more plays.
Speaker 3: He got away with it a lot away with it a lot more. My favorite thing about Troy is that while he played during the two thousands with the Steelers, he had the embodiment of this seventy Steelers defense, Like he could have played on those teams and fit right in.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He was also a very gentleman.
Speaker 2: When you compete against him, he'd say a prayer before every play.
Speaker 1: He'd like, you, all, those Hawaiians are very religious. Yeah, you know, those missionaries did a job on those. But look, Lambert, very smart player. He was only about two ten. Yeah, he was small, and he was six four or sixty three years tall, and he had them very big shoulder pads on right. He looked like fierce and no teeth. But he was basically just a real smart player. Yeah, you know, he'd just bring you down. Not a Budkuss Budcus would kill you. Yeah, and uh we.
Speaker 2: Got me and Joe Troy in Lambert.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't I wouldn't put Lambert in the Okay, So, uh Andy Russell. I loved Andy Russell.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Andy Russell was one of the smartest linebackers I ever saw play the game. A lot like Joe Schmidt. Remember Schmid for the Lions. You don't remember Schmid. Smidt was one of the all time great middle linebackers. And not that big, but Russell when he played the weak side. He played on the weak side, you know, opposite the tight end, and he would he'd stand straight up in the air before the snap. He'd be looking around. He'd say, you know, why out watch him. He's coming over there. And he'd be talking and he would be like, not in a football you think he's not ready to play football. Like he looked like a ref and that ball be snap man and he was on it. You know. He was great for me. Again, not that big. He was a full back at Missouri. Yeah he was. He was like you he was basically a running back and uh he was. He was a great player. Played a lot of years. Didn't he He was the captain, wasn't he? He look Andy Russell.
Speaker 3: I have a quote from Andy Russell which is he would tell Yeah, he would tell Terry Bratch on the offense, just hold him.
Speaker 1: We'll get the points else. Greenwood, Now he was a rookie when I was a rookie Greenwood, and I would have bet my life that they would have cut him because he played like he was on roller skates. He was six seven and he was long and thin. Yeah, and I thought, oh my god, he looks like a basketball player. You know, I didn't think. But you know, you know you're wrong so much. I mean, they they worked with him. He had a he had potential.
Speaker 2: When you get those long arms, though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he finally became a well, as you know, he became a great player.
Speaker 2: Well, you get long arms, you get leverage, strength, and you keep the guy away from you. Yeah, then you can two get like the Stork.
Speaker 1: Yes, remember the stork from the Raiders, the outside linebacker, the mad Stork. What was his name? I don't know his name, but I remember yet, Oh my god, just go mad Stork. He's the probably Hendrix. Hendrix, I will say now with no problem one of the greatest linebackers ever ever. They could never run on him. They could never. And there was another guy too that played for the forty nine Ers, number sixty four, and I don't remember his name. He played for years outside linebacker two forty sixty three, six y four brutal, Yeah and great. What was his same number? Sixty four, San Francis.
Speaker 3: Wayne Wilcox, Yes, Willcox, Wilcox Man, Dave Wilcox, Dave Wilcox. That guy could play draft in nineteen sixty four.
Speaker 1: Sixty four probably played to seventy five seventy four stand two teams first with his hands on his hips and his legs crossed standing. You know that. You know that when you're tired. Yeah, he just stand like this. That's a tired look.
Speaker 3: Well, let me wrap up the Steelers team. So they went ten to three and one. Was the first tie ever or overtime.
Speaker 1: To ten record. Yeah, yeah, that was the record.
Speaker 3: And also notably, just got to say it, this was the steel Curtain defense. Notably me and Joe green Elsie Greenwood the Torch Game. Dwight White and Dwight White in this game got food poisoning, lost twenty pounds.
Speaker 1: It was going to be whether he was going to play or not. He ended up playing in this game. Remind me to tell you a funny story about frank O Harris and me. When Sophia Viagara got married, the wedding was at the It's Florida. Yeah, what's that hotel. It's beautiful down in West Palm Beach. It's I don't know West Palm Beach here. I don't either, So I was there when most of the cast went down, of course. So uh so anyway, I'm at the reception and uh, I'm standing with some of the cast and this guy comes up to me and he says, uh, mister o Neil. I don't want to bother you, but you know, I work for a man who's your biggest fan. And I said, okay, tell him. I said hi. He said, well, he's he's here. I said, well, if he's here, bring him over. Where is it. He said, he's over there by the fountain. I looked and I said that's frank O Harris. He said yes. I looked, and I went so literally like this, you know, came over. I said, how are you doing? Almost I'm so happy. I can't I don't know what to say. I said, wait a minute, you came the year after me, when you were when you were at Penn State. Yeah, I said, you know, I was a rookie with the Steelers. He said, I know all about it. I said, you do you know I got cut He said yeah. I said, and uh, you won four Super Bowls? Yeah, maculate reception. Yes, and I'm your idol. What's wrong with this?
Speaker 3: Well that's a great segue because in this game, Franco Harris was the Super Bowl MVP.
Speaker 1: Super Bowl Rush.
Speaker 3: This game thirty four attempts, eight yards, one touchdown, also two fumbles one lost, but everyone was fumbling this game.
Speaker 2: It's freezing. This is the coldest game on record at the time, so it's to be in the super Dome. They didn't finish it and go to Tulane.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The lead up of this game is the Steelers beat Buffalo and Oakland to get to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: The Vikings beat Saint.
Speaker 3: Louis aided by three turners in a missfield goal, then they beat Los Angeles on a goal line stand to win at the end of the game. This was billed as like two great defenses, Steel Curtain versus the Purple People, eatersly, oh, in terms of the defensive line in the fens fencing, and I mean.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the Vikings wanted to do what the Steelers did.
Speaker 3: And the Vikings were just coming off they were searching for their first super Bowl title. They had just lost super Bowl four, and they had just lost the previous year super Bowl eight against the Dolphins. And you mentioned, yes, this is the second coldest super Bowl ever with forty six degrees. And the reason that is is because it was supposed to be at the super Dome, but it wasn't finished yet, so they moved the game to nearby Tulane where there was all kinds of weather and rain, and so they moved it on the slick turf, and so this game was very sloppy.
Speaker 1: Franco was a great running back. You know, he was a load. Oh he was huge, he was big.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, when he turned up, you know, train.
Speaker 2: You gotta get him, You gotta get him running side.
Speaker 1: They started, Oh yeah, yeah, you got to get him legs. Man. It was like this guy can he can? He can bring it. Now.
Speaker 2: Do you remember where you were when you watched this game?
Speaker 1: No? No, I mean I watched it for sure. What I was probably in some bar Youngstown, Youngstown. You're fresh out here, you're about five years out you you haven't yeah Hollywood yet. I was like twenty eight. I was in Youngstown. Yeah. I didn't go to New York till thirty one. I was thirty one, thirty one. I mean, the odds of me making it when I got to New York were astronomical. Yeah, I still can't even believe it. What were they? You couldn't even make odds that high? Oh you got It's like winning lotto, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So this was this was a sloppy game, sloppy weather specialties.
Speaker 1: It looks like an ego. You could do it. We're gonna, we're gonna, We're gonna write a movie for you to be Chuck Jeels, who played Terry.
Speaker 2: I'll be Terry Bradshaw Terry.
Speaker 1: No, I can't play, I'll get Terry. You played Chuck blond To You know Chuck was a I was a messenger guard for the Browns. Yeah, did you know that? I didn't played for Paul Brown. He was an underside guard. He was probably maybe he was two twenty, I don't know, maybe not, but he used to run the plays in and out for Paul Brown Cleveland.
Speaker 2: So this is a defensive battle. Now do you when you watch these games back in those days where you entertained to see defenses do well like this.
Speaker 1: I love the defensive games, which they don't want to see anymore. They don't want to see that. And to me it was well because I was a defensive player. I love the defense. I love the defensive guys.
Speaker 2: And it gets a bad rap because we will get into scoring the game and a lot of people associate a bad game with a good defensive game.
Speaker 1: That's a bad game. To that bad game, it is a bad game. But it's like it's like the UFC. Yeah, Dana White, he wants nothing but knockouts. If you go on the ground, you don't get the bonus. Yea, even if you if you tap the guy out from the ground. Dana White's mad. He sometimes he'll walk out of a fight and the guy on the ground, you know, ready to I mean, it's just how it's gone because you know, he knows what puts asses in seats, and it's blood and guys getting knocked out, Yeah, kicked to the face what I call stupid fighting. Yeah, it's become stupid fighting. You know, I'm you know, you know, I went to the Gracis for thirty years. You know, the jiu jitsu. I got a black belt from the old man. But if you if you take a fight, a lot of times you'll see two wrestlers who really can't box, but they like to box because they just learned it. So they get in there against each other and they think, oh, I think I'm a little better than this one at boxing, and they box. Well, who wants to see that fight? Two guys that really don't know how But they won't put those guys on the ground and start from there. But if you're on the ground too long, they stand you up. Yeah, so when they stand a ground fighter up, you're at the disadvantage right away. And that's what that's all about.
Speaker 2: Now, Well, I mean, you've got to pick your battles and you got to use your strengths and try to yea. That's why it's an awesome sport to watch right now, because you can be a shitty boxer but still go out and get down.
Speaker 1: Now. The thing, now, are those calf kicks.
Speaker 2: They're breaking legs.
Speaker 3: How did you get into mixed martial arts? How did you get into doing the mixed martial arts?
Speaker 1: I got in there with well, it's not martial arts. I got in with the jiu jitsu with from John Millius. Do you remember a guy named John Millius? Nobody he wrote? He wrote Apocalypse Now, okay, he wrote Big Wednesday, which is a classic surfing film. Yeah, you'll see. Anyway he was. He was taking jiu jitsu in Torrents with the Gracie family. They're Brazilians and I knew him from the lot and he and we used to get the fights and we'd all go and watch the fights and stuff, pay per view stuff. He was telling me about these Gracy guys and the main the head Gracie was a guy named Hickson Hicks. On Gracie, you wouldn't want to fight, it'sen Gracie. And I think his record was somebody like four hundred and oh buddy, and that's exaggeration. But anyway, he was trying to get me to go down there and take this jiu jitsu and I said that the guys that wear the pajamas and yeah. He said, yeah, but this is a whole other thing. And I said that, John, You know, so two years of this. He's badgering me. And so one day I went down. I said, I'll meet you there. He said, no, I want to drive you down. I said no, no, I'll meet you there because I wanted to, you know, exit. So I go in and he's in there with Horry and Gracie, who was the oldest brother, and they were rolling around, you know, on a mat. I'm looking in the window and I'm bringing what are they doing? You know? So afterwards they come out and I meet Horry and Gracie. He's the oldest brother. He runs the show, and all, nice to meet you. It's good to see you. I love love things. John says, good things. And I said, well, the place is very clean, clean you could eat off the floor literally, And he said, okay, now you get to have a free lesson with me. I want to show you. I said no, no, no, no, no, I said, you know, I got to get back and I'm in Torrance right. I said, it's the rush hour. I don't have to get a motel out here. You know. He come on, please your air you only hear one time to fifteen minutes, so get it a ghee. So you know, the thing the pajamas so I go in, I put it on, I come back out. He says, Okay, this is going to be quick. I know you're in a hurry. Lay down on your back, please, And we were in the mat. I lay down. He said, I'm going to kneel on top of you, and then we tell you this is the two part tests, very quick. I mean, pretend you come out of your bedroom at night and you hear a noise and your wife is afraid, and there's a guy in there right he maybe open the door and knocks you down and jump on top of you. Your children in the other room. You think you can get me off of you if your life depends on it. Now, this guy is Buck seventy. Yeah, I'm at that time, like two forty. You know, this is thirty some years ago. I said, Man, if my life depends on I think I could get you off. I don't know after that, because I knew these guys, said you know these reputations. But so that's it, that's all you have to do. I said, I'm laying like this, you know, I said, we'll win. He said, anytime you want. Now, I don't feel his weight on me. He's kneeling, but his the weights on his knees, and I said, all right, anytime. He says, anytime you want to just go, just get me off. So I think I like bucked up, you know, and you know, pushed it. Twenty seconds later, you know, he's still on top of me. I can't get him off. I'm exhausted, says, okay, sit up, breathe, breathe, breathe. It's okay, okay, now this is the last part. I lay down, you sit on top of me. It's okay now. I said, no, I can't. He said, can you hold me down? Four seconds? I thought, oh my god, four seconds? I said, yeah, four seconds. What am I look like to you? You know? He said, that's all you have to do, John, you count one, two, three, four like that. I said, that's fast for said's not even four seconds. Okay. When I said get it hold of me, so I grab him, he said, come on like a man, you know, I mean, there's cell of their fish. So I hold him. I'm squeezing him. He goes you ready, I said, yeah, boom, he's on top of me. I'm looking up at him. I said, how did you do that? He said, this is what we do. I said, I got to lend this. He said, no, he come on, that's not the point. I just wanted to show you what we do. We have some actors come, they do this and that, they go home, they do movies. You know, they don't come back. I said, when can I come back? Come back to more? You want to? I said, the time. Give me the time, Torrance, I'll be here. Sixteen years later, I got the black belt. Cheez wow, I took it was a lot of humble pie, man, Believe me.
Speaker 2: I recently got into combat. I've been boxing a bunch.
Speaker 1: You're boxing. Yeah, I used to box as a kid in Youngstown. Yeah, I bet it's it's it's it's a it's a whole other deal. It's a whole other deal.
Speaker 2: But it's a great way in outlet for you to compete with yourself.
Speaker 1: Are you smarring not smar far. Don't spark got too many head things. Yeah, no, don't spark at all.
Speaker 2: But I'm doing all the movement, the bag work, and it's been fun. It is hurts my body though, I see all my deficiencies and from my injuries, and because there's a lot of there's a lot of unnecessary there's a lot of crazy torque on the body when you're doing these things.
Speaker 1: Well, boxing is the in my opinion. Now, you know, I'm opinion about this because I grew up with boxing in Youngstown and you know Raymond's. I mean, there's a lot of the great fighters that came out of Youngstown, and you know, there's a whole history of that. But boxing is the only sport that's gone backwards. I mean it's gone backwards. In the thirties and forties, the fighters were the best, and even even further back. And people will say, no, no, you're wrong. You know, look how big they are, the heavyweights. I said, they can't fight for shit. They don't know anything about fighting. They don't know. And those old time guys, look, you're taking it. I'll give you one example. I don't want to go on to We're going to talk about boxing. Sugar Ray Robinson in his prime. Say he's twenty six years old, in his prime, fights Bernard Hopkins, the executioner. He's going in the Hall of Fame. Yeah, Bernard Bernard. When he was twenty six, his record would have been like twenty nine and one or two with eighteen nineteen knockouts. Robinson's record same age would have been ninety one and one with seventy four knockouts. Yeah, fighting the best fighters that ever pore clubs on. Now, who's gonna win that fight? Like fighting a girl?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's so that's such a crazy sport though, because the politics in it now.
Speaker 1: Well it was always oh you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So you're never getting like you never see the best fighters fight the best fighters in prime.
Speaker 1: But in those days you saw it a lot more often. Yeah, because they almost had to fight each other. And those guys way back they were better trainers, there were I mean, it was just a whole other deal. Everybody was fighting. Yeah, and today nobody's fighting. Ad they fight once a year, yeah, because they're making the money, but any money. Yeah, there's no no comparison between the old guys. All you have to do is google some of those fights and watch them.
Speaker 3: Now, well, this year, before I wrap up this game, this year was the year of the thriller in Manila was in nineteen seventy four, nine seventy five round this game Fraser Ali three. But to wrap up this game, or to kind of like put a point to it, scoreless. First quarter, Pittsburgh mister field goal.
Speaker 1: There was a botch snap on another field goal.
Speaker 3: At halftime yep, there was a that was the first safety in Super Bowl history, interception on like the inside the five, and then back and forth, so two oh and halftime. The third quarter, Pittsburgh extended their lead with a touchdown from Franco Harris. Minnesota fumbled the halftime the kickoff at halftime, which was actually a Steelers He slipped the kicker on the kickoff at the halftime and then kind of squibbed it and then bounced off the Vikings guy and then the Steelers recovery. That's kind of the representative of this game. And then fourth quarter there was a block punt uh and then returned for a touchdown or recovered in the end zone for a touchdown, and then.
Speaker 1: The Vikings right, yes, the Vikings got it was a drive. The last minute.
Speaker 3: There was a six minute drive eleven play ending with a Larry Brown touchdown that really kind of in many ways is a summation of Terry Bradshaw's career. Art's a little bit sloppy back and forth, you don't know, but when push comes to SUV, when it's crunch time. Who do you want the ball in the hand A little bit the original? Yeah, and then so the Steelers won the game sixteen to six. One thing I need to mention is that this steel Curtain team defense during this game allowed less than one yard per carry and allowed no offensive scores.
Speaker 1: Less than one yard per carry. That's a joke. That's crazy. That's crazy. And with fran running around back there right.
Speaker 2: With what he only had one hundred two yards passes? Yeah, three three interceptions.
Speaker 3: Interceptions by mel Blunt, me and Joe Green and then that other cornerback who got called late man.
Speaker 1: What's the aftermath of this?
Speaker 2: Franco Harris was MVP.
Speaker 1: Awesome little story you had there. First super Bowl? Ye, Steelers first super Bowl. This is the kickoff. Unbelievable.
Speaker 3: They would go on to win next year nineteen seventy five Super Bowl back to back, and then in seventy eight and seventy nine. Yeah, Chuck Noll became the youngest head coach to win a Super Bowl at the time, forty two.
Speaker 2: That was what was uh wow, FAA was thirty four, yeah, thirty.
Speaker 1: Six, So Nole was only forty two then, So when I was a rookie. He was like thirty six or seven. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Mcvade was thirty six when he won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Became the youngest ever thirty six. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then so this would be the third Viking Super Bowl loss. They would then lose again in Super Bowl eleven. So they went to four out of the first eleven super Bowls and didn't win a single one.
Speaker 2: Hopefully Kevin O'Connell get him going.
Speaker 1: J McCarthy. That it's Jenny McCarthy, right, yeah, yeah, see nol see that. See how he looked, and he looked like kind of like a twenty nose. Yeah, twenty nos Was that a movie they were doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the That was the Ryan Reynolds one.
Speaker 1: I just met her like at the last SAG Awards, the first time I never met her.
Speaker 2: I used to like her movie Fright Green Tomatoes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Kathy Beats. She's good. She's good.
Speaker 2: She had a couple of scary movies too.
Speaker 1: You're a Kid, Oh my god, the one where she was chopping up. Yeah, conn, I was like a little kid when that came out. I was like terrified of her.
Speaker 2: It's failure to launch, Yeah, failure to lunch Now What are this? What are these Steelers of rank in the greatest dynasties in history? They got to be top three. They're the first of four, they're the first of six. I mean, this was the first team.
Speaker 1: To win these Hall of Famers. It's gotta be. They've got to be up there, right, I mean, I can't. Who do you think is the greatest Super Bowl team?
Speaker 3: We're a little biased here and we probably.
Speaker 1: You know, that's it. That's the record.
Speaker 2: It's not four touchdowns in sixty six, but you.
Speaker 1: Know six got to be, you guys, it has no I mean, these Chiefs are looking damn good. They gotta slow him down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, if they went again, they go three p.
Speaker 1: You see where McCaffrey just signed for two for nineteen a little extension. Hey, that kid is some athlete, doesn't he he is? I mean, he's not much bigger than you, is he? Probably when we were playing, we're very similar. I was probably about five pounds heavier. Yeah, you know, a little lighter right now, but he'd run the forty.
Speaker 2: I was like a four to four eight guy fast, But my fat I was the quickest five to ten five shuttle.
Speaker 1: Well that means that's more.
Speaker 2: Change the direction. Well, depends. Everyone's got a strength. There's long speed, there's short speed. Yeah, everyone's got a superpower. Yeah at that level.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah no. But Caffrey, I mean his versatility is insane. Oh man, his well, his dad was a great receiver.
Speaker 2: And McCaffrey used to cut out the toes. Yeah, remember because he liked he liked smaller, cleap. But I found out he told I hung out with them at a training camp. He said he did it because they was like the first to cut out your You had to x out when you have pressure points.
Speaker 1: So he was the first to do that. Well, you know when I used to say when I was when I was playing football, I used to say, what are we doing with these giant shoulder pads? What are we doing with these goddamn hip hip girdles? Why are we wearing this shit? It's slowing us down. You can't run us fast, and you know you didn't need it. Now they're not doing that. I used to wear the smallest pads. I could less surface area. You guess, especially as defensive lineman. You get skinny on a guy, Yeah, go through the crack, go through the scene, split the whole, split it so a little on the legacy of this game.
Speaker 3: So I mentioned before there's twenty one total Hall of Famers, forty from the Steelers which I listed earlier, seven from the Vikings, Carl Eller, Bud Grant, Paul Krause, Alan Page, Fran Tarkenton, Mick Tinglehoff, and ron Yerry. After the game, Bud Grant quoted was saying, there were three bad teams out there.
Speaker 1: US Pittsburgh and the officials we talked about because it was a sloppy game. Sloppy yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: So due to this game, NFL put in a rule where stadiums can't get the Super Bowl on their first year.
Speaker 1: So what was that?
Speaker 3: Because this game was moved from the super Dome, which wasn't finished, to Tulane Stadium, the NFL put in a rule that stadiums cannot get the Super Bowl on.
Speaker 1: Their very first year. They have to exist for a year.
Speaker 3: And something I would like to ask is, because this is the Purple People Eaters versus the Steel Curtain, a couple of all time unit nicknames. What are some of your favorite unit nicknames in NFL history. I've got a few here, but I'd love to hear what you guys think.
Speaker 1: Legion of Boom, Legion of Boom, I don't even know. If I don't even know.
Speaker 3: Greatest show on turf.
Speaker 1: Rams with Kurt Warner. Well, they were in The Fearsome Foursome fears Ye. Yeah, that was the Rams. Yeah, that was back in the Jones. Yep, that was my dad liked those Rams. Yeah, those Rams were good.
Speaker 3: Monsters of the Midway. That's the Bears yep, New York Sack Exchange. Yes, the no Names, the seventy two Dolphins, Defense Dolphins, and.
Speaker 1: What was the Redskins? The Hogs? The Hogs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like Pony Express even though it's college.
Speaker 1: That was SMU. Well, my favorite college thing was the Chinese Bandits. Who's that The Chinese Bandits was google it? I forget it was Lsu No Texas A and m oh. The Chinese Bandits were a defensive They were Lsu Tigers.
Speaker 3: Most notably from fifty eight to fifty nine they were used briefly for the Army cadets.
Speaker 1: Wow. The Chinese Bandits, Wow, they don't have They don't really do that anymore because teams aren't they're not sticking around as long, so you're not getting the same guys playing for like Steele Curtain, they played ten, eight, six, seven years together.
Speaker 2: Guys are going after four making going to another team. It's a free agency world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even in the college thing now with that portal thing that everyone's a free agent every year. Well, you know, maybe it'll work out. Yeah, it's pro pro sports. It's great to see the kids get paid. But they got to put some It's tough. It's Tod married with us. What we had so many people, but Bo Jackson was on. Bo Jackson was not that tall, No, but he was. He was built his thighs, he was built, dude. He had legs and he was so unbelievably fast.
Speaker 2: He was a fast guy in the field, like five pounds.
Speaker 1: I mean, this guy was incredible. Let's score the game. We got to score the game, and he left for me. I've got one leftover question what it would happen?
Speaker 3: So we hear a lot about there's chief celebrity fans John Hamm and Eric stone Street and Rob Wriggle and et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Is there a little bit of a Steelers celebrity fan group in Holly?
Speaker 1: Would you got a group chat. I think there is. I heard there was a bar, okay where they all go and watch the game. Yeah, I didn't. I didn't. I failed to find out where it was. But there is one. There is one, Okay, do you watch who do you watch football with? By myself? It's like my dad. I never watched it with anyboney, talk to anyone. No, I just watch it. Yeah, my dad's like that. He never wanted to go to the game. No. Never. I don't go to the games either. They got a park. Yeah, it's a lot, it's too much. I just watched it on TV.
Speaker 2: The coverage is so damn good too.
Speaker 1: Now it's better that you, you know, you miss everything you go to the game.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: Let's name the game.
Speaker 3: Let me do this quick stat correction. Earlier on in the episode, you said modern Day. The show is Modern Family.
Speaker 1: That's okay, I said Modern Day. Yeah.
Speaker 2: More Day is the high school down the street that Matt Liner went to. Well, okay.
Speaker 3: And then the pilot that you were on with Tom Brady is called In the Game two thousand and four with Jennifer Love Hewittt. She played a single mother who was thrust into the spotlight and becomes an ESPN sideline reporter.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after this quick break.
Speaker 2: Let's name the game this Uh, these are some names we came with with that we could potentially call this game. Usually the games we do have a historical name. This could be the Sloppy Bowl, the first one because it was the first of the dynasty for the Steelers, the Steel Curtain starter, the Franco Bull still made at two Lane, or the Steel Curtain versus the Purple People Leaders. What would you like to name this game? Or do you have something else?
Speaker 1: No, I don't have anything I would say. I would say, uh, look, women steal curtain versus the Purple People Leaders. I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look women you say you said, look, lady, you gotta seven.
Speaker 1: You got a nine.
Speaker 2: You're trying to get me with the seven. All right, let's score the game. Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score it steaks one to ten? What do you score this game?
Speaker 1: One to ten? Super Bowl stakes? Super Bowl game? What do you mean the stakes of the game.
Speaker 3: It's like a regular season game, low stakes preseason almost nothing playoff game has higher stake.
Speaker 1: Super Bowl We generally super Bowls generally.
Speaker 3: Are hitting in the high eights the mid nineties, depending on all Right, well.
Speaker 1: It's the first win, so stakes were high.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the Dolphin the Vikings just lost a couple, so the stakes are higher for them too, because it's a little bit.
Speaker 1: Of the losers to score. I'd say ten for the Steaks star Power. What do you score the star Power fam? Ten?
Speaker 3: Also, Bruce Springsteen was asked to play the halftime show to climb it down. Turned it down, turned it down. It was the attribute to Duke Ellington by the Grand Leaks State Band. Ye, not the same star.
Speaker 1: Gameplay the gameplay? Are you talking that? That's talking about the music. No, the game, the game, the game, the game, like how how the game was? Oh so it was a sloppy game, right, sloppy.
Speaker 2: But if your defense guy could be a good game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but a lot of mistakes too, like fumble that are dropped and missed.
Speaker 1: This game, I'd say give it. I don't know, eight seven, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, go seven seven the game of the game. Steel Curtain versus Purple People Leaders probably two of the best nicknames for defenses of all time. Yeah, so one of ten? What are you scoring this, bad boy?
Speaker 1: Uh? I'd give it ten ten, ten because it's the two greatest names. It's got it for defense. What's the total? Nine two?
Speaker 2: The defense game? It was a defensive game. The average comes out to seven six y five along with Jack Kyler and my scores.
Speaker 1: Where does this lead on? We've done all these games? My god, you guys done a lot. We've got baseball, boxing, soccer. Wow, you got box right.
Speaker 3: In between Super Bowl seventeen Cowboys versus Bills and Super Bowl with the Rams versus Bengals. That feels that feels pretty good.
Speaker 2: The Double Donk game, the almost tie game.
Speaker 1: Just behind the can't wait game.
Speaker 3: That game is too high, that's way too high. And double Donk. Yeah, this is this feels right. We've got a new scoring system because shit got wonkey. This feels right good scoring.
Speaker 1: It's a good score. Yeah good. You should do some jiu jitsu. I should?
Speaker 2: Huh, I just get I get terrified with my knees.
Speaker 1: I bet no. You know what, you do a lot of rolling on you start out. You can start out on your knees, so you know. I never hurt my knees doing jiu jitsu. Yeah, and I have niece three operations that shit. Try it because box is starting to hurt my shoulder. Yeah, it's shoulders jack. If I've foreseen it, you can't you know boxing. If two guys know boxing, the big guy is gonna win nine times out of ten. Yeah, hit you gotta.
Speaker 2: Hit him, come on four and sixty six.
Speaker 1: Maybe one game. But they do have weight divisions, and they do have weight divisions. You know, did we miss anything about this game or any of this? No, I don't think so. We got it all. I think so. Yeah, we are trying to remember where I was when I saw it. I know I saw it. There was a bar used to go to call the lamp post. That was probably there. We gotta get to the lamp post. We gotta, we gotta.
Speaker 2: We're gonna take a games and names go to the lamp post and do another game.
Speaker 1: Well, the lamp post is not the same now, probably isn't.
Speaker 2: But we'll find it strip joint or something.
Speaker 1: But before that was was it was owned by a mob guy. You can make a lot of bets in there, Old Youngstown. I never heard of a place in Youngstown with a mob guys. Well, if you google Youngstown, google Youngstown Murdertown, USA, Murdertown, USA or Bombtown USA. When I was a kid, there were one hundred and sixty five unsolved bombings of automobiles with people in them from called the Youngstown Tune Up.
Speaker 3: Sixty years ago, this Ohio city was named Crimetown USA.
Speaker 1: Why they got it the bomb on a crime Google the Youngstown.
Speaker 3: Youngstown had seventy five bombings eleven killings in a decade and no one seems to care, you know, after years of being called bombtown and murder town already by other publications, this one was Crimetown, USA, and it really stuck. As Johnny chitsielly, it was.
Speaker 1: A producer of mob Talk, I know, Youngs Time Mob Talk.
Speaker 3: This episode is brought to you by the Youngstown Traveled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm on that today, Young's Time up. You might get tuned up. And if and everyone might get tuned up right now, if you don't go on FX and watch clip that airs on Tuesday exclusively on Hulu, you're gonna get tuned up.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's where that tuned up probably comes from. Maybe I remember you just say you can get tuned up kid. No, that was for a car. No, but that also make you're tuned up about to get Yeah, you're right right.
Speaker 2: You got toned. He got tuned up.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's that was he got tuned up ed. Thank you so much for con.
Speaker 1: On this so much. This is awesome, man, that was awesome. He's so cool. He's a legend, legend and like.
Speaker 3: Athlete in his heart right he might have had his career as an actor and all these hit shows and all this stuff. But like the way he was talking, like and he was talking about football from the sixties.
Speaker 2: Like it was yesterday, like it was yesterday, and then he proceeded to put me in a Brasilian jiu jitsu move. After the show, I got footage of that. I feel you actually feeling like the when he breathed, did the breathing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, didn't want to hurt Al Bundy.
Speaker 2: I mean four touchdowns in nineteen sixty six in one game, no shot.
Speaker 1: Let's hit the old hot line.
Speaker 2: Remember that number is four two four two nine one two two nine zero.
Speaker 5: So boys love the Pods. My name is Ryan from Somerville Matts just want the jewels. He made my life growing up super easy and it was awesome growing up. The question I had is who was the smelliest guy in the locker room after practice games meeting?
Speaker 4: Who was that guy?
Speaker 5: Always just smells like man, that guy works hard, Thank you boys love the pods.
Speaker 2: That guy worked hard, so he smelled. Usually it was a big fat guys they smell. But the one who always I used to have a fuck problem with Amndola. He would because Danny never wore socks, and he'd wear new shoes all the time. But sometimes he'd wear a pair of shoes, like three or four times, would be in a meat and he have his feet on. My Yeo, bro, you don't have fucking socks on. I could smell your feet from here. You take those guys, well, you put some socks on. You're not that cool.
Speaker 1: What was the candle budget at the wide receiver room?
Speaker 2: We didn't even have. You couldn't have anything burning in. I think there's no burning of anything.
Speaker 3: So you think anola is your answer to this?
Speaker 2: He had some smelly little feet.
Speaker 3: Because I've I've heard in Granted, I was never in the building. I was never in the room. It's only secondary sources, but I have some sources.
Speaker 1: That say it was you.
Speaker 2: I don't smell. I don't smell I may had a messy locker room here and.
Speaker 3: There Kent State jersey shirts that you wear every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I took that right off and I was in the shower immediately. Okay, okay, I didn't smell and I had good fragrances. I used to steal Tom's perfume.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to call and what is your favorite story.
Speaker 1: Of a vacation with some of your teammates on the on the.
Speaker 2: Patriots favorite story of vacation? Remember when me, Danny and Tom went to Montana for a fourth of July to train. We had like three days of hard training. Tom left to me and Danny state extra day and like there's so many activities with Tom, Like everything is scheduled out.
Speaker 1: You got two hours.
Speaker 2: For this, an hour for that, you know, or we have we have dinner at this time, we have to go do this at that time he left. We literally just took two quads and just went up the mountain and uh, we were doing like donuts and then all of a sudden, I rolled one of the quads fully broken, left at the person's house we're staying at.
Speaker 1: I didn't say a word, just got in the car and left. How does.
Speaker 3: How does the invite for that go? Is that a text or is that like a tap on the shoulder from someone else? That's what Tom would text me, Tom text Tom text yeah two.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's funny that you mentioned that story because we did it years ago. We did a trip to Israel and you left a day early and after you were gone, it was the best day.
Speaker 1: All right, last one.
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, I'll get go on. My question is for Julian. Julian, I know that when you were playing football you have a pretty strict diet about what you would eat. Your very health conscious and all that. I am curious if there was anything that you ate during that time that you hated so much the you have no interest in taking a vie.
Speaker 2: I used to eat alligator because it has like these rich omegas and it's also got like more protein than a fish. I remember eating that and I was like, first, like I'm trying to like trick myself the first time I eat it, like, oh, it kind of tastes like chicken. It's good. Then after eating it for like eight weeks straight on every Tuesday, I'm like, I don't know if I can eat this somewhere it doesn't taste like chicken.
Speaker 1: It's kind of fishy. So alligator or alligator alligator cut that. That's a great answer. What a game.
Speaker 2: Thanks aged to Ed. Make sure you watch FX is Clipped. It airs on Tuesday exclusively on Hulu. That's been another episode of Games and Names. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you listen to podcast.
Speaker 1: Comment a game you want us to do, and remember to rate a review. Yeah, it didn't sound it didn't sound right.
Speaker 3: I'll never remember Jack. Huh, I'll never be Jack. He's one of one.
Speaker 2: Remember to follow Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, ex TikTok, and Snapchat. Leave a message on the hotline at four two four two nine one two two nine zero. See you guys next week. Games with Names the production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.