Speaker 1: Look mare, Oh, I see you my owne Bowen. Look over there is that culture. Yes, wow, lost culture, lost cultures calling we are what do we do? This is a very interesting setup setup, for lack of a better word, we are sitting across the dining room from each other and Bowen, let's just say it, right here, right now, has a long one. Bowen Yang has got a long one. The culture number fifteen a long one. I do mean dining room table, but we are.
Speaker 2: Pretty average sized.
Speaker 1: I would say, listen, specific take the goddamn it. I'm here saying you got an hour draw along quote unquote dining room table. I was actually talking about the dining room table. We're across from it, looking at each other. Very fifty states of grave. I still giving oh any shades of grass.
Speaker 3: We also have recorded in the past in a similar setup position me here, I'm saying this is also very very power Couple, which is the web series Lots and Sudi Green.
Speaker 2: We've talked about this on the pod before, but I just can't.
Speaker 1: Believe that our reference in Power Couple was so clear that you'd go from fifty shades of great right to power Couple. Thank you, sister, Everyone go on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Look up Power Couple justin Britney, Matt Rodgers, Cudi Green, directed by Peter Kelly.
Speaker 1: We've really known each other a long time, haven't we. We've seen him memories, We've seen many seasons of each other, haven't we. Speaking of seasons, it's Pride month. Speaking seasons, It's Pride month. It's finally Pride month. July, Finally July, the year when I'm sorry, the month west No, I think I write the first time. July is the yearly year when Harvey Milk assassinated Adolf Hitler. Thank god my girl came through.
Speaker 2: We smoked a little little.
Speaker 1: I would say we smoked a lot because we're preparing, we're strapping in. There's a lot going on, a lot going on at the moment. We have title of it. By the way, Jared is here as an audience slash. He's gonna come in later. We have him. He's a special correspondent to a very special cultural issue we have.
Speaker 3: I think this culture issue will take the entire real estate of the episode.
Speaker 1: You don't know that yet. We haven't even brought it up yet. I have you know what I haven't even done yet. What cucko what a sick mind. Well, here we go. We're already now we're talking yet, Okay, what what are we preparing for? What are we strapping in for?
Speaker 2: We are strapping.
Speaker 3: We are literally, as soon as we're done recording this episode, we are going to the airport to the new A Delta one lounge at JFK.
Speaker 1: We're rolling the dice and crossing enemy line lines. I almost said grounds, we're crossing over. We're saying LaGuardia, thank you for everything you've done, thank you for the merch, thank you for the merch. We gotta fly out of JFK, and we're trying their new Adults as a Guy lounge, which just opened days ago. We're very excited, like a cucko. What is the big night? I cannot wait to have a.
Speaker 2: Bloody I'm gonna have a something.
Speaker 1: What what were you? What did you think I was gonna say? I didn't know. I was sorry on the edge of my seat. Would you have an averall sprits at the airport? Like? What is the vibe you bring in a cocktail sense to the airport lounge? Airport lounge cocktail is very specific context, right, M I think.
Speaker 2: Don't lie mes count the Gronney.
Speaker 1: Messcount the GRONI that's really good. Did they make that? Let me tell you something, If you ask, I bet they can figure it out. Quit I think I just know people don't make that. Do that as count the Grony? I would be you want to start a bet? We can? We have to cut this, reader, So why do we have to cut this? What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Okay, miss cald the gurney?
Speaker 1: Sorry, what did you have to google and see if it was a real thing? Oh my god, my girl's so burnt. No, no, it's not being cut. I'm that is the vulnerability that the judges are looking for when you had to look up what mess call grone was to make sure it was even a thing. Because I'm so tired. Oh my god, the tea word. You know what, I'm done avoiding the tea word. I'm back to I'm so happy my girl came alive. Take them down. Take them down right now. They've criticized you for saying the T word. Get them.
Speaker 2: I I'll get them.
Speaker 3: No, get them, I don't want them. This is what we're cutting in. I don't want to reference them. We're cutting this. Okay, hold on, no, we're back. We're back, We're back.
Speaker 1: How did you get? How high did I get? Yeah? Not very high. But this is what I'm working with. This is why I'm tea word no explain And I literally do want to know the ins and outs of what you've been through. Because I looked at all the wrap photos and it looked emotional, and I have to say I could not be more excited. And I don't think people are really hearing me when I say how good this movie is going to be that you just wrapped, and I want to hear all about it, sister, Thank you, I am. I imagine my seat.
Speaker 3: So whatever we wrapped at like four in the morning in Vancouver on Friday, I have for the next day. The best I could do ticket wise was when we booked the flight. Of course, the return flight to New York was one PM out of Vancouver, layover in Salt Lake City. So the Vancouver flight to Salt Like City flight lands it four forty five if it's on schedule, yeah, and then the Salt Lake City to JFK flight takes off at five thirty. We were only like forty five minutes delayed. I get there, I got scooped I did not get scooped.
Speaker 2: Oh I missed the connection.
Speaker 1: Oh that's I guess what I mean is like this. For some reason, I was thinking of scoop. I thought you meant it like they came to scoop me. No, no, throw me to the other side of the terminal, no negativetive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so pejorative, I got scoop.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry. Okay, sister. So my next flight out, I just basically had a seven hour layover in Salt Lake City, which, by the way, very chiky airport. Can I say, do you then for because seven hours is giving to me the option to leave. You did not leave.
Speaker 3: I did not leave because here's my and this is the thing, this is my own thing. So Monny, by the way, is about this company a loving, non pejorative way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like.
Speaker 2: If I'm in a Delta lounge, I'm happy, but for seven hours.
Speaker 1: Actually, you know what, one time I did spend seven hours there. Also, if you were to leave and explore, you're right that airport is a cute airport to shout.
Speaker 3: Out, and I love Salt Lake I just did not feel that come after like wrapping this, like after like being at work, not like, yeah, twelve hours before.
Speaker 1: Girl, you're here, you're in one piece.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's like the important part.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I flew in at I got it on a red eye yesterday, landed yesterday morning, and so that's why, because I even took one hit of this, my brain is on yet again zero. But I think that did not stop us last week from having a great episode.
Speaker 1: No, I actually think when our brains are on zero, we are the most open. I do want to say, because the table is so long, and it's extra that. No, it's so long, and that means I am restricted from being able to wrap my arms around you, because, sweetheart, I feel the fact that you are so Kendrick Lamar humble, Oh my god. That I was like, please tell us about everything you've been through, like you must be exhausted, And you still talked about the flight. I meant the process of doing the film, and like what you guys made I still want to hear about. But you you really are just it was about that flight.
Speaker 2: Brain on zero, Yeah, brain on zero.
Speaker 1: Do you even remember shooting the film? Not? Really? Just kidding, very emotional. Last day I got the girls in two couples therapy really best believe I'm still bejeweled and the girls meaning Kelly Marie and Lily Kelly Marie, Lily Kean Han who played places by love interest who was very sad to leave the country of Canada. Or I should say the VPN of my account, because he was like, they don't have this in Korea.
Speaker 2: He looked it up. He was like, there's nothing like this.
Speaker 1: It was there's no VPN, there's no VPN or couples therapy the show, or or there's no Korean orna. My god, at least we know that's a role. That's a star we have. Yet the Korean Orna, the Korean Orna is going to take over the world. Every country shun orn and they do. They just haven't been discovered yet. That's why we're announcing South Korea's next Corna, First Orna. We're gonna we are the hosts of the new reality competition in the series South Korea's First Orna. Dozens of therapists across the land are coming with the one goal of becoming this Orna. Matt Rodgers and Bowen Yang host this cut throat but therapeutic competition. Who is Orna? Oh my Orna? Garolik standing in like insane like American Idol stage light and be like, I guess I'm just going to out there and give it my best shot and show them what I can do. They come out in front of the judges, sit down, now what's going on here? And the judges AKA you and I just go through thirty different therapy sessions and at the end we find out who really got us together. That's only they can go to the finals where they have to sing. Then they have to sing. Now I need this well, we can probably have AI make it.
Speaker 2: Oh like no, they no, we can't. AI could never fucking do this.
Speaker 1: Ohen they could No, I'm I'm telling you. Let me tell you something. I'm here to speak for Ai. We could do anything, Queen, anything we put our mind to, we can do better. You know. Wait, you know what I've been really enjoying. Yes, tell me drag Race, the Drag Race All Stars. I am still behind, but I'm so happy to hear that in the reality competition series. God, imagine a drag Race version of Next Orna. No, I groast each other. I don't want any Ornas in drag I think Orna could be a really good Snatch game, Orna would be God, someone get on it. Oh who are you so? So? Who are you being? Doctor Orny Grell? I love doctor. I love her.
Speaker 2: She's just funny.
Speaker 1: She's funny. Well, how are you gonna make funny funny? Oh? My god, you honestly could. She is a better Snatch Game character than like, I don't know any of the ones I say, I'll do.
Speaker 2: You found your your snatch game?
Speaker 1: I did you know what I realized the other day? All along in my life, I've known my karaoke song, but I've never done it. Have you talked this? No? I just you never have that feeling when you're at the karaoke bar and you leave with a state within a state of despair because you're something you're missing, something was missing. You didn't your song, You did not get there, And you want to know why. It's because you get your hands on the book and you're so spoiled for choice that you're like your brain stops working. Why did you and Jared just point to each other like y'all have an inside joke?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, I was telling Jared about like the whole James Seamus treat us on like Netflix and how it's reading the culture and like and Jared and I were talking about how like choice like spoke that he was reading about the like the Birth of the American Supermarican. How it's the same thing like when you when human beings are overwhelmed with choice. Huh, our brain's just shut down.
Speaker 1: Damn. Yes, I actually think you ever be walking around We're getting so you'll ever be walking around New York and you know you have to eat lunch, but you don't eat for an hour and a half. Oh well, just keep walking. This has in me now, yes, yes, we need to get back on wheel. First.
Speaker 3: Now we need to like go back towards the central question that we asked at the beginning of this episode.
Speaker 1: Let's see thirteen minutes ago, which is where are we going? What are we doing? Okay, Well, the first thing I want to say is that my karaoke song going forward, yes, is get Out of My Dreams Get into My Car by the one the only.
Speaker 3: This because I saw you post that story and that that song on your stories, and I go, Matt's really having a mow it with with this song.
Speaker 2: I am, but how did you like, how did this come up?
Speaker 1: Well? It came up because I was really in my room and I was I guess what I was doing was I was sort of smoking weed, and one thing led to another, and I just realized, I know what the most fun song of all time is, and I know what song sits in my voice the best, and I I gave it a shot in my room.
Speaker 2: Give us a shot now in my room.
Speaker 1: Would you like to hear some of my song?
Speaker 2: I am clamoring.
Speaker 1: This is my rendition of get out of my dreams. Get into my car by Belly Ocean.
Speaker 4: Who's that lady coming down the road. Who's that lady? Who's that woman walking down the road? What's the skull? I'll be the sun shining on you. Hey, San Lorella, step in your shoes.
Speaker 1: I'll be on non stop.
Speaker 4: Lovel get a why Again, non stime miracle, I'm your man.
Speaker 1: Get out of modream Hey, get in to Mocka, Get out Modream back, Get in to Moca. How did we feel about that? Nothing has ever felt more like in your spirit than both, like the words of the song, the way you performed it. Obviously not every word was even right right, it didn't matter. I'm ready to start singing that around the country.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about stepping into your destiny?
Speaker 1: I feel that the key was a little high that I asked you how you feel, but I feel like I conquered it. I feel like it was definitely a profound, spirited vocal. I'm not talking about the vocal. How do I feel like?
Speaker 3: I'm talking about the emo of stepping into your destiny?
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something. There's nothing like music ever, and that's real culture number thirty. Let me tell you something. There's nothing like music ever. And when I feel you connect with the song and you know this because I've seen you connect with the song and far between, yes, so beautifully that people scream from outside the venue, bowen yang you to do No, No, we're not doing this. No, I asked you answer the question. Do I feel now that I've feel like like I'm telling you, like I'm ready to step into any atmosphere and bring the mood up when I have that track play, Can I just say it's me and the rest of my future with that song?
Speaker 3: Because can I just say this is this is just out of love and not like actual jealousy. But I am so jealous.
Speaker 1: What do you mean? Because no, because you didn't let me say the one that you do well here before that, though, I know what you're gonna say, but I want to say, like, I gosh, like I have never connected with any piece of media entertainment art the way you just did with that song. That isn't true, and you forget yourself in the words of the amazing Angelica from Hamilton, because you're like me go you know, I listened to the whole thing today, satisfied. I was amazing something. I've been on one all day. You all you can use words hi, and then Michael pick you up. You've been on one all. I'm sorry. I just yelled at you. I'm sorry, just you. It's so crazy. So he really yelled at him. You yelled at him. Okay, thank you. I know what you're gonna saycause you notice he does these little tactics to go off the scent, but I won't. I am like a dog with a bone with this moment in culture, which is when Bowa Yang steps forth to perform the song Bang Bang My Baby Shot Me Down by Nancy Sinatra in the style of any any aesthetic of share. Let's say it's in the great tradition of Divas, you haven't seen anything. This is what I'm gonna say. And I'm staying back in my chair and I am at the end of a very long table, and I'm so happy this is where I'm sitting because I can look my sister dead in her eyes and say, this is what I'm gonna say. We will do these two songs next year at the Culture Awards. Oh my.
Speaker 4: Right, God, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And no one understands what the implication of that are right now are enormous. And I have never been happier in my rodern entire life because I know what's going to have the greatest gift You've ever given me. See the future. I can see the future and it is so bright. That's what we'll do, and that's what we'll do.
Speaker 3: And to finally go back to the original question that was posed at the beginning of this episode, we're at my house. We're hours away from going to the airport to Amsterdam to go see Taylor, and then we will be in Cecilia next week and we'll probably be giving you an episode from there.
Speaker 1: We will be giving you, for the very first time, an episode from not Europe, because we've done an episode from Europe. This is I guess, first from Italy, from Italy. This is a huge moment in the box, our first Italian episode or Italian episode. Wow, do you know what I think is gonna happen? What? Just because spiritually I think that this is sort of what tends Yeah, yeah, I feel this happening. I can't explain how Lady Gaga is gonna make some type of announcement while we're there, period, Like there's a reason why we're going to Italy. There's so I can feel in the air. Why I lick my fingers and put them up in the air. I can literally feel Gaga in the air, and I will say, you feel LG seven. I do actually have been watching quite a few YouTube videos about what maybe in the cards for l G seven, and I find myself not ready to make a prediction, but to sort of start to forecast what this is going to be. Have you noticed a lot of black and white imagery in her recent press, a lot of sort of oh my god, even illusion like the dark side of the moon, the light side of the moon, that duality. There are some people online who think that she might be giving like a Dante aligary like Paradiso like sort of Heaven and Hell black and white, sort of like something like that, like I'm gag, gig, you know what I'm saying. So it's just like there. But there was some videos that really got into this, and it seems like the black and white of it all has to be intentional. And there's something with the moon. She said good night to the moon at the end the CHROMATICA ball and then the LG seven popped up. I just think there's something going on. And she's also made comments recently like I'm going to hell like I'll see you in Hell. Like she's been a little on one with the heaven and Hell imagery and the black and white imagery, and people are connecting all of this. Why has that been missing in the culture? Well, heaven and Hell it needs to make a comeback. Hold on So in that snippet, I think they intentionally took out that third word or dancing in the shadow of the blank, hold on, hold on, sorry, shut off of the I think that there's something with the moon. That's the moon. Oh my god? Why do I have chills? And I also think that we must be returning to like born this way harder, maybe like a you know what I'm saying. I just think we might be going back to like because CHROMATICA was still like fun, and I think we might go back to the heart and dark that seems to me like post Joker, the mentality that it's giving. We can't forget what she gave at the Oscars when she had just come from filming The Joker, Like the state that she was in when she sang hold my hand from top Gun, Like I don't know if she was recording or writing then I would imagine like she was using some of what she was feeling to put into her work. But like, I don't know, I think that we can Definitely, I think we're gonna get something hard because I also think she's gonna want it to feel like it matches the tone of whatever joke Erfolio Do is gonna give. And I think that movie is gonna go hard. So I think we're in for an extreme Gaga. Oh my god, because the producers that they've announced so far Chin Misothulstein, Peggy Gal The Weekend sure yeah, and Rick Rubin again not so Weekend is scary pop. So I'm into it for Gaga.
Speaker 2: Rick Rubin, which I don't think she's worked. I don't think she's she's worked with him, and since art Pop.
Speaker 1: I am so happy about it because Rick Rubin gives a big dramatic vocal, always big dramatic vocal. And then Carolyn Pulchek, so it's like, come on, this is gonna be really see. This is how you find can come back with cool fucking producers and bring relationships from the past but also move forward. This would be how you do that.
Speaker 3: This is our corollary to our Katy Perry polemic. Look, I gotta say Bowen Yang said it anyway. I said all of it last week, and then now we're getting back on track. Oh yes, a sicilly episode. And then we were nearing something Earlier, we were nearing something or nearing a conversation.
Speaker 1: I mean, talk about it. Kill girl, what a stick mine? I said a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't even considering this new Camila era as culture. I was like, I don't like what whatever this looks like. It looked like too much of a Charlie XCX rip off to me. It looked too like, oh that girl might be going to like a quarter life in a way that's like I just didn't take seriously because I didn't think that anything good was gonna come of it. If she's going through a quarter of life, she fucking delivered to me. I'm like, at least putting a whole bunch of that in the album. It feels like extreme and fun and like she's just like really connected to whatever culture it is that brought out like this fun little pops of energy. Like I like the fucking album and I was not checking for yes, And I'm a Camela fan too, Like I like her some of her old albums. I don't think she's been a fave of mine, but like I judged this on face value, and maybe that's my fault, maybe it's their fault in marketing. But like the album is great. I like it a lot, a lot.
Speaker 3: Nothing too alarming about the thing that people are saying, which is like, oh it's messy. It's like a little too all over the play. It's like a little two all over the map. But you're like, see, at what point is it all over the map? And at what point is it like meant to be? Like the other side of that coin is like you, oh, this person's so versatile. This albumsatile, or it's just like this is a real snapshot. There's insane things that happened in this album. Like there's one track that's just literally a fans voicemail to her about how much a one of her other her albums meant to him because his dog died.
Speaker 1: Like that's one whole track in the album that I'm like, this is insane. It's such a weird choice. But it's little things like that that I think sometimes helped make an album memorable. Like there's little pieces in here, little transitions where like there's one culled three h five till I Die, which is just her and a bunch of girls getting ready to go somewhere. I was choking with Corey camp Patrol he was coming on our vacation. He was like, that's literally just on the way to Aerostore, Like three or five till I Die. There's little bizarre things in here which are like make me feel like, oh, you know what I like about this? She wasn't too precious about it. It seems like she actually kind of like threw up her hands with this one and was like, I don't know, I'm going through it. I'm gonna like make an album about things I love, like Miami and partying and like being a little bit of like an obsessive romantic person and put it in there and I'm gonna be blonde, and I just I don't know, I get it, and I was hard on her, but I love it.
Speaker 3: And you are such you are very developed in that thinking. That's very very very nice you feel. Yes, Jared and I were remarking on how the visuals are very good and creative team is doing excellent, excellent, excellent work along with which includes her.
Speaker 1: Obviously. Well that's why he's really why he's here, our Miami correspondent.
Speaker 3: As we talked about Camilla Caveo, so like, words that were popping out to me were like, Biscayane Collins Avenue, he should have like.
Speaker 1: Five translated some of the Miami stuff in here. And how do you think as a Miami girl, So, as.
Speaker 5: A fellow Miami girl, as a three h five sister, as a Biscayne Hattie Okay, as someone who also loves samples on songs called boats. I really do feel as though Kamilla is always undervalued, She's always underrated. Yes, there is a slight hyper propability to her in this moment in time. But I think that the album is just you know, the sounds of the ocean, the sounds of a cafesito in a warm summer breeze. Ah and what I will. Just to back up Bowen's thought about the visual aesthetic, like the girl knows how to pick a director. Yeah, yeah, they're all super interesting. She's never boring. Her choices are weird. She's a cat and a tree in one video that's trying to be cut down.
Speaker 1: I would love that one.
Speaker 5: It made me absolutely giggle. And do I know what Playboy Cardi is saying on the verse? Couldn't tell you if my life depended on it, right, But baby, that's Miami. We don't know who's speaking or what they're saying, but we do know one thing. They came to Slave Way.
Speaker 1: Your favorite track is I Think He Knows. I Think he Knows.
Speaker 5: I love it and I love the music video, and I love that nos and Camilla fight over the same guy, which we don't see enough in the culture. It says there shouldn't be labels. It's saying queernesses the future. Get on board or get out my house.
Speaker 1: Get out and into my car she' fa Oh my god, the best song ever. I'm so excited to do it next year for the Culture Awards.
Speaker 5: And then there's a moment at the end of the NAS video where like Camilla and Nos a little bit of a bit and Camilla lands lansaid.
Speaker 1: Camilla really nails the acting moment. She I mean, there's nothing more I need than a sketch at the top of a pop music video. And you, I'm just gonna say this, you can tell a lot from the quality of those sketches. And when someone comes in and is Kristen wigging at like Camilla Cabello, who is just as funny as Kristin wig That is what everyone here was saying off Mike, the people Cinderella like when push comes to shove. This girl is the comedy future. She's a Dina Menzel stepdaughter. You don't get funnier than that. I have blown away by this idea that would you say that she's a cute girl with a sick mind? Talk. I love Chanela, talk about why because we're not getting it? Oh my god, I love well. I don't know. It's like, kid, what a sick mind? It doesn't take much more than that from me, But I will say this about que girl with a sick mind, Like if that's true, then the rest of the album I kind of want to hear about her sick dark thoughts.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's all there.
Speaker 3: I think it's like her sick dark thoughts are I'm going to put a fan voicemail on my fucking album.
Speaker 1: I honestly, I think that that's so insane. It's it's dark excited, but I love it and I think it like gives it something. I think she said put that on there.
Speaker 2: This is what we're talking about, Like pop right now needs like serrated.
Speaker 1: Serrated edges. I was thinking about that, like there is something serrated edge about this, and I realized after we had that conversation how important that is. What you said there's ration is because guess what, we're still split years later about whether or not Solar Power is a good album. And I maybe it was.
Speaker 2: I think it was, it just didn't have this serrated edge.
Speaker 1: I've been listening to a lot of Lord over the past few days, just because she is so back, as we all found out last week. But nothing compares to melodrama. Melodrama, I mean nothing. I was gonna say, I was gonna say super drama, super drama. I actually think it might be Ansonov's best melodrama is statement when you combine what an incredible lyricist she is with his production, forget about like how singular her vocal is and how it feels like she is truly the only one like her in the entire universe. But there really were a matchmate in heave on Yeah, Yeah, in competition with one with Rockwell, I would do.
Speaker 5: Nine no, because that's not the things that we love a lot of the things that we love from nineteen eighty nine are not our max Like. It's not a Jack majority album. Where I could like make that distinction, I would have to say, I would have to say folklore or Lover. But as a body of works, it's fifty to fifty. The thing about Jack and Melodrama is it was the two of them. It was Ella and Jack like in a room, making this cohesive like one in a billion album. I just don't know that him and Taylor have that have had that cohesive experience on one album.
Speaker 1: I will say I am. I am a midnight stan Over time complete midnight stan Like, and I think that people need to listen to Maroon again. That's all I'll say about that. None so scut it world model. I mean, that's that's right there for you too. Hold on the implications of Matt saying that we are singing these songs that culture awards are unfathomable, and I actually I don't think I can do it. Bowen. That's not your decision to make. It is God's decision, and he has spoken through me. I'm I'm sure this is complete divinity. It is your destiny, but I can't do it your destiny. I can't do it in that context. Yes you can. We're going to set the intention and we're going to speak on it later. But now what has happened. Now, this is what we're supposed to happen, We're supposed to go. I'm clear, I'm very clear.
Speaker 2: I've never been creaked out.
Speaker 1: You are going to eat Oh and let me let me ask you a question. What's five plus three? How many letters in stallion? How many letters in D that word I can't how many slices of a pizza usually h how many you don't do ship? How many John and Kate plus.
Speaker 2: Hey boo hey boo spiders have?
Speaker 1: How many links. That is legs. Hey, my favorite Adam Stander movie. Blank Crazy Nights. You could have just said how many nights in Honick? That's not what I said. Oh wait, we didn't you know, we didn't talk about in June Gloom by Camila off albums t x O x OL girl, and she.
Speaker 2: Goes, does she get this a lot for you?
Speaker 1: Baby? You haven't heard it yet? Have you listen to the whole album? I'm scared. I'm scared to listen to a song called June Gloom when we were just recently in that in that month. Well, thank god we've left it because finally Pride month, it's July, and we are so excited as always represent the community. We love you all, and this is the podcast where every gay person can feel represented. Leizia Boutique is here to stay. It's here to stay. How do you feel about how the word is caught on it has?
Speaker 2: I feel really touched by the way the community has really gotten together.
Speaker 1: I get so well.
Speaker 2: First, baby, I thought collectivism was over.
Speaker 1: No, it's just beginning.
Speaker 2: It's it's just beginning, just beginning.
Speaker 1: Collectivism is just beginning.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, why wait?
Speaker 3: Thinking about the no I'm thinking about his story, the story that Jimmy Fowley shared on this podcast that he then shared at a pitch meeting on Monday, which was unforgetted.
Speaker 2: The way Jimmy Fowley slays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's the best Nill but in the room every day, You've never seen a room more obsessed with the game. Then he is the gay king of SNL. I like it was always him, always Jimmy fucking Folly.
Speaker 1: But he remember that where he shout on the podcast where like he found out his X was cheating on him or something, and he so then he threw I forgot what he threw something at the car door. It was a full baseball bat. There was a full baseball bat like a water bottle. He literally busts the windows in your car, Like he literally he he like did that song to his X. And then the except what the fuck?
Speaker 3: And and the Jimmy swerves like flips to you and in the most cinematic way, goes it says to him, this is just the beginning.
Speaker 1: This is just the beginning. Can you believe that his episode of Lost Coach is not called this is just the beginning? What was called Greek sick freaks. I remember that one again because that was when you guys really knew each other. We did not know each other, but I have been a Jimmy Fallley super since the the begining. Yes, yes, that was it was Go Go Boy interrupt.
Speaker 3: Go Go Boy interrupted. He's so fucking funny. Jimmy is a natural lightning rod. Where we're talking. It is just the beginning. But that's what collectivism is, just beginning. Collectivism is just beginning. You have such a good memory.
Speaker 1: Do you think that we're so we know ourselves out so much because we can feel how dark everything is all around us? Is that why you think we know ourselves? Like, let's really get real. Yeah, Why do you each and every day choose to numb the pain? Drugs? Alcohol? Why do you think? Why do you think you can't face how dark the world is? Is it? Because if you start, you won't stop asking question h Despair, that's what what we all want to avoid. You will fall into it. You will fall into despair, You will fall into disguss just for the weed again, what was it like watching did you watch? You didn't know? You didn't watch the deviseial working, but like being in Vancou vibes were like we were on stat and then like I have not seen a single sound from that debate, and that's how scared you. No, be afraid, be very afraid.
Speaker 3: And I don't want to hear either of them talk, but especially not Joe. Uh yeah, the descriptions that were coming out just verbally like that I was just reading.
Speaker 1: I was just like no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: And I say this as a dual citizen.
Speaker 1: Can honestly, I was thinking of you, and I'm like, like, my girl has some place to go. I'm lucky. Now, isn't that fucked up? The like that's where we're at, Like, oh, can't talk about that? I mean the thing is like I guess we can't talk about it because we don't want to make vibes bad, but like, isn't that fucked up? Though we can't even talk about it because it is a vibe destroyer and low key it should it should be, I guess because I was like so, I think one of the reasons I was like an a tear this morning is because like that shit happened with the Supreme Court, where like I don't know x y Z here probably something different by the time this comes out, but like whatever, today it got even worse, and I was just like, God, damn it, Like when is someone just gonna stuck come in and just fucking like save us or like no one, no one, no one's gonna do it, like but I'm just like we And then I was like thinking about how high I was and everything, and I was just like, God, I guess I gotta stop and at some point just be like this thing that we have been fearing coming, this election that we have been fearing coming, is gonna come. And I think the debates made that very clear for me the other night, where I was like, Wow, he really is the person that we are choosing to go up against, someone who is a full blown dictator. This is the guy. This is the guy that's gonna do it. And I'm like, I don't know, I don't know if the best thing for everyone under him is to be like support and support and support him, someone might have to step up and be like, no, no, I am the strong, powerful voice of this party and I am not going to allow decorum to like send us into a tailspin. Because we need someone to step up and be like we are strong. You don't have to be afraid we are going to preserve democracy.
Speaker 5: Yea, really, I feel like there is like we all long for someone not to throw the wicked reference, but we all long for someone to be behind the curtain in the Emerald City of the Democratic Party, who's here pulling strings or ready to save us. I do not think that person exists. Oh, I do not think there's anyone behind the curtain. I don't know that there's anyone driving the car at this point, I think the closest person we have is Obama. Like we I think collectively, the people who I know who are the most intelligent and well read on just the political process and whether or not he could be replaced lost all folk that that could be a plan.
Speaker 1: When Obama tweeted the next.
Speaker 2: Step, the Obama tweet fucking sunk my soul.
Speaker 1: I think that he's the.
Speaker 5: Closest that we have to someone who's powering the Democratic Party and is the quote unquote pulling the strings behind the curtain. But beyond that, like, I don't know that that person is there.
Speaker 1: There's no like strangehold in here because it's so personal to this one man's condition, and it's like it's so that's what's fucked up about. There's no like lobbying into like getting him to drop out, you know what I mean, There's no like money you can throw at that problem.
Speaker 2: It's like this isn't this is an old man who like is too stubborn to make that decision.
Speaker 1: I just think it's it's gotten to a point where it's like why are we lying to ourselves? Like why would we protect him? That this is the person that's gonna make us look the strongest. We need to look strong and he he literally is in fact quite depressing. Like that's the thing is like you do need to be able to center a campaign around a person. That is the way this works. And if the whole thing is like well low key, we can't do that. But it's about bigger than him, It's like, but why does it have to be that we can't just put someone in there? If it's about more than him, that's more inspiring. I get that there's like rules, and I understand that people disagree, but it's just like hard to look at it the way that it is and be like, yeah, you know what what we have to do is support the current situation harder. What that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 5: Four do you smoke a joy and go from Camilla Cobo cxx to the end.
Speaker 1: But this is lost cult. This is lost and that's that's on lost culture.
Speaker 5: Reasons that maybe that's on lost culture stuff.
Speaker 1: And I think it speaks to just the way that c x o x O speaks to her life right now, this episode speaks to. That's why this is called m r B y x O XO.
Speaker 3: I thought it was called Okay, but yet, what's it called? I thought it was called something else? Did we name this episode?
Speaker 1: What was it? It was a lot going on with the going on.
Speaker 2: No, it's m r B y x O x.
Speaker 1: Cute girls with stick minds or should it be que girls with sick minds? Period?
Speaker 5: Talking about something that could actually save democracy? The man behind the curtain. Uh, they're painting the Brat wall again today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is huge. They're painting the Brat wall again. The best political news we've gotten in can't trust Red, can't trust Blue, you can't trust Green. That's number fifty eight. You can't trust Red, you can't trust you can't trust green. Sympathy is a knife featuring tailor and y'all, y'all are sick. It would never happen. It's never going to happen. A lot going on at the moment, but not that. Oh god, what could be next? What could she literally do?
Speaker 3: Remember when she was on our podcast and said, we joked maryam Cosby is going to be on a track with you. She said, yeah, full remix album is going to be her. She like implied the release of a remix album.
Speaker 1: Charlie has a counterpoint in the world, and it is Mary m Cosby on the Salt Light Cast, Like maryam Cosby is the Charlie XCX of Absolutely Yeah, I do think.
Speaker 5: That there's gonna be a remix album because I feel like Caroline Pullacheck and recently Marina from Marina and the Diamonds have been so.
Speaker 1: Bratastic on social media.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in ways where I'm like you jumping on a Caroline gonna jump on Apple if it's the last thing she.
Speaker 1: A g it's so good. Were you know what we're gonna do when he made it jumped period? What is your single favorite line from Bratt to the airport that's good, which we're gonna literally be singing it when we get to the car. I'm gonna be insufferable later.
Speaker 3: My single favorite line, It's really hard to choose for now. Right now, it's gonna be till the windows crack. I'll be bumping that.
Speaker 1: Till the windows crack.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine bumping that so hard that the windows shatter? I fucking love it. I hope to God we all get to experience that before the Civil War.
Speaker 1: We're so happy this month, this Pride month. Me too because we are going to we have so many parties to look forward to where people are going to be bumping that till the windows crack.
Speaker 2: And what's your Can I return the question to you?
Speaker 1: This is a huge question. I'm going to say my favorite line from brat Ah, Yeah you want a pu like a lightning struck. I do love you had a power like a lightning strike. I think that's really beautiful. I think that that. I listened to that song a lot more than I so. I yeah, I thought I thought I would. I mean, it's so sad, but it's so beautiful and it's so like personal. I was said to Ted who reps Charlie and reps Kelly from Atlantic Records. The other day. I saw him at Pride and I was like, I wish that I had gotten to listen to that album like four or five more times before she came in, because I don't think it hit me till like a couple days after we recorded with her, like and then the album came out, Like just how much I loved it.
Speaker 5: I should have her back on again, like Charlie Park two after because what she didn't expect Brat to take no what expects you don't saying no one, no one. She was She had the number three album in the country. She's never had that before. Like she's charting more songs than she has in the last decade. Like I know that she obviously she believed in the music and she's like so smart, not only like sonically but also like her marketing teeth taste taste, this rollout isla audible, But I still feel like she could not have imagined what a moment this would be.
Speaker 2: I feel like that was the vision.
Speaker 5: I think it was the vision, but like she's just she had such vision with Crash, she had such vision with Pop two. Like she's it's never the music that is not it's there caught up to her. The culture caught up to her. She was always ahead and she there's even a line on there, like it is hard to be ahead, and she's always ahead, and her taste is always so futuristic. But of the moment and I feel like, like commercially, the audience finally responded to her the way that they always should have, and after I feel like she's had so many some would say disappointments like commercially like what this might feel like and how validating.
Speaker 1: It must feel.
Speaker 5: I hope that she's like I would be so curious from this vantage point what it feels like for her, because this reception is like it's I feel like it has a bigger cultural for a print than some albums that were quably bigger in sales or streaming or charge numbers, Like the cultural footprint of brat Is Jike is like like through the straps.
Speaker 3: This is what you need for something iconic to hit in this way, like an attitude, Yes, it just needs an attitude and brat Is it's literally in the title gratitude.
Speaker 2: It's gratitude.
Speaker 3: But like I think same for like Chapels shit, like it's not even a point of view, like that's even too general of a term. It's like there is like a way you are like orienting yourself towards like this thing, and like if other people can relate to that, then like they're gonna fucking love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, authenticity, Like I really feel like Chapels specifically and like Charlie are both incredibly vulnerable artists which we don't see a lot. They have a sound that we don't always see honed in the way that they hone it. Like you hear a Charlie's song, it's Charlie. It's no one else. Everything else is imitation. Same thing with Chapel. It's just like two singular, authentic, truthful voices who are taking structures of songs, types of songs that we love and putting their own spin on him in a way where it's just like unforgettable and of the moment. And it's just like those are not the two when you named all the pop stars that are releasing albums this year, like those weren't the two? I right would would take.
Speaker 1: Over no way? Isn't it wild how that all shook out? Now I'm thinking about like the even pop vocal album.
Speaker 3: This year, like half of the snubbed if she, If Charlie doesn't get nominated, I think that will be well, this.
Speaker 1: Is what I was saying. It was like she could put it in dance electronic album. But my thing is in a world where we're actually judging things for what they are, I believe that Brat is a pop vocal pop vocal because she is the point of view. She is the artist, she is the star. You don't listen to that album for the music any more than you listen to hit Me Hard and Soft for from Billie Eilish, for that production and that music. You could really compare the two in that regard, and in that way, you definitely wouldn't put Billie Eilish in dance electronic. You would put her where she belongs, on pop vocal, and I believe that's where Bratt belongs. That being said Renaissance one dance electronic album two years ago, and I would absolutely agree with people who said that that is a moment where Beyonce is also the artist. It's not necessarily the music you listen for. I think it's a weird case. Probably pop vocal album then as well for that album, but it has won that category, so there is precedent for Charlie to submit it there. I just think she is so clearly the pop artist, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Sure, although is it maybe a thing within the academy where it's like a pop vocal album has to be defined in this way where like the vocal is it like too processed or whatever?
Speaker 1: The fact?
Speaker 5: Maybe in certain cases like they can submit that ours can submit an album for category and then like there are people on the Grammy committee who will listen to it and they'll be like, actually, it's not this category, it's this other category, and then they move it. So ultimately I don't feel like it's up to them, but I don't know. You've talked about defining dance electronics from the pov of the music over the artist, where the artist in the front, and for me, it is more like a sound but either like yeah, what it sounds like sonically, And I think Charlie straddles the line. I do think three sixty should win the Padam Paddam Rush Grammy, the new one, the pop dance recording.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely, yeah, definitely three sixty. I mean I think she should do whatever it is that's gonna win her Grammys. Like, don't get me wrong, like if Brad's gonna stomp in there and it could be a multiple Grammy winner for being in dance electronic fields. She should do that. But I just think, but I think what we're all saying is we we hope that she We hope that this is all put into the above the line quote unquote award. Oh god, I think it's I think it should be an Album of the Year nominee for one. Also, speaking to the marketing, you could teach like a college course in marketing about like you know, like I wonder if that like Clive Davis and stuff they're talking about, which is like the recording So basically there's like a school Adam yu Fish which is called the Clive Davis you know, Recording Academy or whatever the fuck, and you learn how to become like a real music industry participant, whether it's as an artist, as a producer, as a writer at something. And I would imagine that this is something that people are looking at, like, this is how an artist simultaneously had all their integrity and authenticity and all their brand already that's that's there, encompassed in something new that was able to be market to everyone else, and also backed it up with music that track by track, like the mission statement of that album, the word brat was in every single thing. And then when you think about the things that have come in the weeks since the album's released, like the Lord version, like the meme ability of the way she announces things, It's like there's layers to it. There's so much going on, and even hearing her talk about how like no, like there were hours and hours of discussion about the green color, Like shit, every single detail in this is from her has been It has been mulled over so so much in a way that you're like, you must respect this. Come on.
Speaker 5: There's a gay guy Pride who says that his mom and his like straight best friends anytime they say lime green out in the wild, if it's like a literal lime or just a color of a poster, to like take a photo and send it to him, and I like you, brab brab. But also credit where credits do? I think we have to shout out Charlie's manager Brandon, who also does brand and Terry, who's her photographer and has like done a lot of like design. Terry is also Benny Drama's boyfriend. We love the sweetest in the world and they slay the marketing roll out of this, and I mean gag like we're honored that we were a small part of it.
Speaker 1: It's so cool. By the way your audio. I will get to that in a second, but I want to say, you have Coultreesa in your blood. You need you just really in a way that was very you really served.
Speaker 2: At his third House.
Speaker 5: So my life has prepared me for this. But it's because you guys create such.
Speaker 2: A warm oh whatever, but uh wait, what would you uh pag.
Speaker 1: Did art? Well? We had We don't even even said on the podcast. We had sound. The Charlie gave Charlie episode, gave us a viral sound. It's a huge honor and like literally the the like Kennedy's of our time. Craig Conover and Paige Desorbo did the sound, and I said, thank you. Now I know what true class and elegance looks like with our silly little words coming out of your mouth. I love that couple. Might have to watch Sumwherehouse. I honestly everyone says that it's the next Frontier Jared Frieder like it's his comfort food television. Well, can I say? I just finished The Valley and I was like I was promised very big things and I didn't. I do not think it lived up to those things.
Speaker 5: Valley's a little too dark for me. If I wanted to see straight people getting divorced, I just look around the real world. I want escape from Bravo. I want escape, and escape is brought to you in the form of Summer House Page Disorbo, the funniest person on Bravo, the voice of reason in the way that Bethany always wanted to be but never was, because she's you know, Bethany and this It was the Scandabal season where basically Lindsay and Carl, who'd been on the show from the beginning and we're best friends, decided to get engaged too fast, and then their engagement imploded on the cameras in front of the whole world to see. And for some reason, it didn't feel as dark as the Valley because there's the escapism of like the other characters, where the Valley.
Speaker 1: Is the kids involved in shit. It's so sad when there's people arguing in kids nearby. I'm always like Stevo, I always want to just scream, scream out like.
Speaker 2: Sky Cugo want a sicklind.
Speaker 1: And just distract from everything, you know. You know, I wish when I was a little little boy and my parents some bitterly fight, I could just, at three years old have been like cute, Oh girl, I want to stick mine. Sound is really incredible. Can you think so, well, maybe we should use our voices to speak out about something called I don't think so, honey. Wait, I quickly want to say, oh no, maybe this is no I've got too. I don't think somebody something to get one thing out of the way, which is so this is something you just want to speak on. Beat caably didn't bring this up, Earli. When we're talking about Gaga, the rumor is Diddy's lawyers finally fired him. Do you know why why Because allegedly Gaga, who they also represent, called him and was like, I'm firing you guys. If you don't fucking drop ditty this second, how dare you? And they're like okay, ok, but like god, I don't think so many of those fucking lawyers. I'm sure they're great. But if you if it like you have no moral conscience like to oh and oh my god, this is like Austin willshit and things are right, The tops are falling left and right. Literally did he at top? No, I'm just saying, like he's not the Let's just say Austin Wolf was not the only top or are there other ones too that are like falling apart? Michael Lucas like, oh man, he's been far gone forever. Oh god, Michael Lucas has been fucking disgusting. It doesn't matter where you stand on things, He's just been disgusting. Yeah, and not not good, but anyway, like like signing Israeli missiles with like Michael Lucas, like it's fucking pretty fucked up. Fuck fuck fuck you. Yeah, and anyway, So but like, yeah, there's some all these all these men are going.
Speaker 2: Down and oh whatever.
Speaker 3: There are great wonderful tops out there that aren't like this, okay, and that's really cool there, remember what.
Speaker 1: But I think fifty are great wonderful tops out there who are not them are on all this stuff. For those of you just google it, google it. It's just oh, it's going down, you guys, like it's going down anyway, c xo x So it's time for I don't think so, honey, And uh, I guess I'll go first Okay, Wow, this episode has been a wild and rollick. It's been a wild and weloking right. Thank you for joining us on it, readers. Katie's publicist vital Lie, I got my thing. This is now Rodgers. I don't think so many his time starts now. I don't think so, honey. The use of the word darling in songs like it's something people say a few months ago. My sister bo when young didn't. I don't think so, honey. About when people say goddamn and songs as filler. There is nothing more filler than when someone says darling. Literally, no one ever in life, least of all a cool pop star that is like millennial age or younger, is referring to any significant other or friend or family member as darling. So when we have a song and the word is darling, queen, we know it could have gone through another couple passes. And yes, I have been sitting here singing the praises of one c xoxo. She's sang darling in the song in a way that I don't believe from Camilaicabella, who's throwing it back on Dade County Dreaming just a few tracks before, like I don't know if that girl's being like, hey, darling, let's go out to the club, like I don't believe it. Darling is filler, Darling is not good. I don't think so, honey, darling. I don't believe you, honey, that you say darling. And that's what. Admit it, y'all feeling me?
Speaker 3: I feel you so hard, Like guess what was it nominated for the Culture Award for old timey thing to say again.
Speaker 1: My darling, darling, darling, dear, you.
Speaker 3: Only use it, ironically, you only use it because language is a beautiful like palette to choose from.
Speaker 1: She literally is like what does she said? She goes, does she get this wet for your baby? And then she's like, so does something, my darling. I'm like, no, you don't, like you don't say how wet you are? And then my darling, in the same sentence like like no one's coming home and seeing you in the bed, and it's like and you're like, I'm so wet, darling.
Speaker 2: That's the sick mind mind that you're looking. I think that I'm telling this.
Speaker 1: There, what are you talking? I was craving it is like I'm so wet, darling. And I'm still wet Darling and fan voicemail about his dog dying. Literally, it's like, this girl is okay, and I hope she's getting the help that we support her all the way. But it made an album that was serrated serrated, srated, and Freda said underrated. Oh bon Yang, are you gallonized? Are you ready to do it? I don't think so, honey. I'm ready. This is doing things. I don't think so, honey. As time starts now, I.
Speaker 3: Don't think so, honey. Delta three sixty Club, how can I get the invite? I think all three of us here at this table should get the invite. All matt as already. Of course, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: But I looked it up. I looked it up.
Speaker 3: I was like, well, how do you qualify for three sixty because it's just like a big secret only invite, only thing.
Speaker 1: You need to you get a default invitation. If you're five million miler.
Speaker 2: Oh honey, who's got the time? Are there even that many miles?
Speaker 1: Thirty seconds? That's a travel in a life, right, I don't know about that. It's giving very SNL ticket lotterial. You will draw what you'll draw your name in forty years. It's it's just why would you ever do that?
Speaker 3: Because even back when I was growing up, quote unquote, I was like, I'm not signing.
Speaker 1: I'm never gonna go that in once. See, some people aren't as lucky as Matt Rogers, even though I'm certainly blessed. But Delta sixty.
Speaker 2: When I'm in the mirror, I like what I see and I want to see myself in the club.
Speaker 1: That was beautiful. I don't think so, honey, that's one minute. Oh that was really good. Yeah, I'm a three sixty member. When did you get the invite? Tell me? Girl?
Speaker 2: Are you gonna tell me?
Speaker 1: It's just same girl? They got that on one dye they proposed to me. I don't remember. I just literallyicked on my phone one day and I was like, oh, I'm a three sixty member, and I don't really recall how it happened. So jealous. I don't know what the perks are though, Like, what is it you just get to I don't know, Sleigh. I mean, I did fly so fucking much, right, Well, I mean, I just I guess I'm jealous of you. What's three Yeah? Current status Delta three sixty.
Speaker 3: I'm jealous because you're three sixty and because you have stepped into your destiny with get out of my dreams and into my are Get.
Speaker 2: On of mad dreams.
Speaker 1: It's now time for Jared Frieder. I don't think so, honey. Do you have one? Do you? I know you can do one on this episode You've contributed and contributed. That all means that you come through with I don't think so, honey.
Speaker 5: Okay, give me five seconds.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have it. Ah, do you want to tie him?
Speaker 3: One second? Yeah, I'll time him. This is Jared Frieder's I don't think sobody. As time starts new, I don't.
Speaker 5: Think so honey. Radio counting for too much to the Billboard Hot one hundred. Why is Morgan Wallin still at number one? Fatay six week in a row, when Espresso my Girl is still stuck at number three?
Speaker 1: It's radio.
Speaker 5: I don't need these country radio stations playing these racists on and on and on so they can top the charts. That's not why I'm gay, That's not why Billboard's my homepage. I don't need to see that man's face. I want Sabrina, I want Chapel, I want Charlie. I want the streams to count for more. I wantn't know what the people are listening to. Okay, that should be reflected in these charts. I'm tired of. I'm tired of I mean much left to iHeartRadio, sponsor and host of Lost but somebody, but some of these other radio stations are just out out of control and it's too much. And I think that we would have gotten I think two most Wanted would have charted higher. I think more of Tortured Poet to have charted higher. Country go back to country radio and less You're Meren Morris and then honey, welcome you can say, especially now that you're the be in legitimatigue?
Speaker 1: Did I say that right?
Speaker 5: You did?
Speaker 1: And that's one minute charid uh So, how do you know the country artists don't stream well?
Speaker 5: They stream well? But the reason that like Espresso was blocked from the top spot when like the More the World was because of Morgan and just like other other radio friendly songs like we love Tody Swims, we love Lose Control, we love Benson, but we love beautiful things. But these songs that feel like they are not in the culture but remain on the charts because the clause and grips of like forty five year old men who.
Speaker 1: Program radio is stupid.
Speaker 3: Well, I was gonna ask you, are you using the word radio as like a short to just saying country radio, because I think it's just country radio playing. It's like one part of the radio, like peace exactly.
Speaker 5: But country radio stations, I feel like, take so much of the airwaves because that demographic of people still listen to the radio more than other people do. And I just think that, like the way that the charts work is that I forget the breakdown of percentage, but streaming purchasing like iTunes, then like YouTube, and like when you're watching something like that's gone viral, and then radio. All are different components to what adds to it's too big of a coming, too big of a percentage, And I think that like in the old and timey days, radio indicated what songs were the biggest in the country because that was the way that you got music to the people. And now that is not the way that we get music to the people. People can choose their own music, and that really indicates what's number one in the country. And I think that radio should count for a lot less.
Speaker 1: But Isn't it true though, that like that would be like because if a lot of people like in the middle and south of the country, like don't have streamers and they do listen to the radio, like it still is an accurate reflection of the fact that those songs are huge.
Speaker 5: I think that people in the south in the middle of the country are on Spotify and Apple Music. I think that like it's no longer like an economic thing because there are ad supportive services where people it's like not it's not like a haves and have nots thing. Like you could make the argument during like the iTunes era when it was like Gaga and keshow and we were in college and it was like radio or iTunes. Well then like of course radio because not everyone can purchase music in that way. But it's so much more democratized now, like it really it's not like an economic factor in the way that it was, So I just think it's a little outdated. I still think it should make up a portion of percentage points that add to where something charts, but I don't think it should be as high as it is now. Like there's no reason that Espresso did not get number, Like it's crazy that Espresso's not number one in the States, right, It's crazy.
Speaker 2: I think there is some weighting weightedness around radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also the fact is like when a song played on the radio, like that is like no one hit play for it, like right, like a radio station was chose to program a certain amount of songs. And also I know there's like a lot of you know talk, I mean, Maren talked about it when she was on this podcast, like, you know, country radio is not kind to women, and it's very competitive, which is you know, it's just the these stations are literally saying, Okay, we have twenty songs that we play and that's it. Like people actually going on Spotify and clicking on certain songs, like is an elective like action that should be rewarded in the charts. That being said, I also wonder how and I do have some experience with this, having put out an album in one song was put on playlists. Yeah, that is also very powerful and also serves as a thing that someone's not necessarily electing to do because you know, it's on a playlist and you might just be playing that playlist. But I do agree with you.
Speaker 5: The first response to that is you have to listen to a song for thirty seconds of the stream so they can hit click next and it doesn't count.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: And then the second thing that I'll also say is that, just like Girl So confusing, the Lord version was not on New Music Friday on the playlist on Spotify, and I was like, shook, I it's one of the biggest releases that week culturally again, and the stream suffer.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: A debuted at number sixty three because even if it's not on a playlist, if the people want to listen to it, they will find it.
Speaker 1: But had it been playlisted, it also would have happened like a right, So we know that there is something in the streaming world that does also serve as a radio type of waiter that might affect something like this totally. Now, Jared, I feel like, has a very granular knowledge of this because he is in a very competitive Billboard Fantasy Charts lead. Do you want to speak on that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, shout out to Emmitt, our friend Emmitt from there. Yeah, I'm in the Billboard Hot one hundreds Fantasy League, and I always lose because whereas other people will look at what's charting or like what albums are coming out I'm like, oh, I will pick Taylor Swift every I don't care if she was in an album coming out, I will pick Taylor. I always picked the girls. I will pick Miley. Did Miley have an album when I had her for a whole semester she didn't. But I need to pick my girls. So I always lose. But it's really fun and it's a fun way to keep up with music.
Speaker 1: Even lose on Taylor.
Speaker 5: Well, it's because sometimes I don't get a pick tailor. Because this round, I like, my draft pick was Solo and she was dropping.
Speaker 1: Who she get?
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, my first pick was Billy, which ended up being a great and that's she performed at the end. But Met himself was like, you should trade Billy, and I'm like, she's going to come out with an album. It's going to sligh. So she ended up doing really well. I had Megan thee Stallion for a little while, traded her. I have Kendrick Lamar, which has worked out for me in spades because of this wrap feud. Oh oh yes, I was telling me that, oh yeah, that's very huge. And I had Jack Harlowe, which at the time when we did the draft, loving on me is like was then number one for six weeks, and I still hold the record in my fantasy league for having the most number ones even though I don't earn the most points.
Speaker 2: That's a lot, and it's a lot we have. We have to thank Jack Carlow.
Speaker 1: We have to thank Jeff. We have to thank Jack Carlow. And we also have to thank Jared because Jared came on this episode mad as hell and he you spit so much rhyme and bars.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. It was it was a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 2: Cute boy with a mine.
Speaker 1: I have one more thing to say, Yeah, what do you want to say to everyone before we go on vacation? Gosh, I don't know. Well, this is what you're gonna leave them with? The airport to the airport?
Speaker 2: He hope, Goga it doesn't Moon album, but I think she will.
Speaker 1: You want to know why why? Because and every episode of the song oh hell us some of the rest of that stream arm Bob, that's what is it for? This what stream art bob.
Speaker 2: Last Culture reacis is the production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players. And then I heard radio podcasts.
Speaker 1: Created and hosted by Matt Rodgers and Bowen Yang Executive produced by Anna Hasnier and Hans Sonni. Produced by Becka Ramos, edited mixed by Doug Damian, ANIFLA board and our music is by Hendrick Murski