Speaker 1: You're listening to the Tutor Dixon Podcast in the Clay and Book podcast Network. Welcome to the Tutor Dixon Podcast. I'm Tutor Dixon, and I refuse to believe that comedy is dead. No matter how many times the boring progressive activists try to drown it in their tears. Comedy will rise above these attacks. And I mean, seriously, laughing is good for the sole people. In fact, I've already been laughing with my guest today. I didn't even know if we could start the podcast because we were joking so much. My guest today is actually keeping comedy alive with his own news show. That show Tonight. Michael Loftis is the co creator and executive producer. Michael, thank you for being here. We'll see where this goes. You are a comedy genius and you've already had me laughing hysterically. So why why are they trying to kill it?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, let me just say I'm a big fan, and probably because you called me a comedy genius. So let's let's just keep them was going. Can we do an hour of that? That just seems great. I'll just lie back and you're like, and I really thought you were funny, and I'll be like, stop, We're.
Speaker 1: Going to change the name to just the Michael Loftis fluff Show. Make it happy, whatever he wants see.
Speaker 2: But I would watch that. I would watch the Michael Loftus fluff Show.
Speaker 1: I know, but we need more than one day.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, here. So I've been a comedian for a very long time. Started back in the early nineties, moved to Los Angeles in late ninety seven, worked in television, had my own stand up special, you know, blah blah. I saw all this coming. It's funny, Like I stopped performing at colleges like years before Seinfeld and those guys started realizing just how bad things were. And it's really funny. It's there's no big confusion about like everybody. Usually people want to talk about cancel culture and what do we do? And you just you just keep going. You just refuse to change for it. And I think that that's what you know. You can dissect things and go okay, never apologize, which you which you never should do. However, you should just continue to make people laugh. That's that seems that's that's the winning combination. Just keep going on making fun of the morons, making fun of the idiots, making fun of the of the weird and awkward, making fun of yourself. But just don't change your behavior whatsoever. It's it's it's there's no big mystery here.
Speaker 1: Just but you couldn't have Seinfeld today. I mean that would be no No network would carry it because they would be afraid. So how do you do it? How do you do this? How do you keep going when network goes ahole? We can't have the Soup Nazi, we can't have that on TV?
Speaker 2: Well, well you start, you start your own thing. That's what I did with that show tonight.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And it's it's been a wild road. But a few years ago, I want to say twenty eighteen, because everybody realized how popular The Daily Show was and the Colbert Report and all those shows, and that all the late night shows were coming from the same political point of view. They were all coming from the left, and so you realize there's this huge gap. And then Roseanne Barr had done the reboot of her show and it was wildly successful. Roseanne Barr was getting ratings like an NFL playoff game, seriously, like every Tuesday night. So I went out with a super famous Hollywood big wig. This guy has produced, produced, and started in huge hit movies and hit TV shows. And so we came up with this like common sense, right leaning, more conservative, libertarian answer for the Daily Show. And we started pitching it around town. And I'm telling you, as a guy who's I've pitched television shows, I've sold television shows, I've written on network shows, these pitch meetings that we did were some of the best ones I've ever been a part of. Like our agents were in the parking lot going, Okay, everybody, there's gonna be a bidding war. This is gonna be huge. And all of these outlets Netflix, Amazon, Sinclair, CBS, all these syndicated groups, they all turned it down. They go, Michael, we think you're hilarious. We love this show. We know the show would be a huge hit. We'd make a mountain of money, but we can't afford to be friendly to the right.
Speaker 1: So I mean, do you consider yourself the right?
Speaker 2: Is that definitely I'm definitely right. I'm definitely right of the middle where the country is now. But to me, that's where all the comedy is right. So, to make a long story short, I was just mortified just absolutely, absolutely mortified. I always thought, you think money would be the great equalizer, you know, like, oh, I run a television studio, I want to make money. Here's an underserved part of America we should program to, and they were just Nope, not going to do it. We know we would make money, we know would be a hit, but we don't want to be friendly to that segment of America. So that's when it was like right when the like the lockdown started. And I've been approached many times to do like a sketch show like SNL, but it leans to the right. And this is the first time and it's been the most work on a project, but also the most satisfying, Like who knew you we have? We had to get our own servers because you know, like they started.
Speaker 1: Up parlor, I know, that's what I mean, they started kicking people off. And I think about just I think about comedy as such a I mean, such a calming relief because those shows really were successful. And don't you think society was happier back when we were watching shows that were just goofy and made fun of people and no one care. They enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I mean it's I got. I did an interview with the BBC recently and they couldn't believe that there weren't any shows that leaned to the right, and they're like, you know, in England, there's if you've got a political party in the UK, I guarantee you have a show that represents you, you know, in a comedy, lighthearted fashion. So it's just I think what happened is the left realized what a stranglehold they have, you know on social media Facebook, Twitter, Google, YouTube, and then they and then all of cable beyond you know, beyond Fox News, they had they had a lock on the market. And that's a huge Once you get a power like that, you're not going to let it go. You're not going to let it go, right, which is.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, but it has created such an unhappy youth, and people get so mad when you joke. Now, so you probably have figured out that I like to joke around. I'm a joker, and I would joke around on the campaign trail and that was not highly welcomed by the leftist media. So one day we were on the trail and we were talking about the lockdowns, and they said she made a joke about the Gretchen Whitmer getting kidnapped, and I said, no, that wasn't a joke, but it was a joke. Then later that night, when we were talking about Gretchen Whitmer had walked through the she'd walk through the auto show with Joe Biden, and I said, Joe Biden reaches over and holds her hand hand at the auto show and you could see her face like I wish I were being kidnapped right now instead of this, And people were so mad about it. It was like, shame may this joke? And I'm like, it was a joke. And we had so many media come up to me like what did you know? Do you apologize for this? And I'm like, no, well, you stop making it so that we can never have any levity in life. Everybody knows I was joking, yes, And that's the problem is that if you can't joke, then the opposite of that is people just become uptight and angry, and that's when you end up with this violence and hatred.
Speaker 2: Well, unfortunately it works. You know. My favorite part of like the media and like journalism is how they they won't be able to tell the difference like you obviously like like you made an obvious joke and then they go, wait a minute, why would you want that? Why were They would do it with Trump all the time when when he was serious, they'd act like he was joking. And when he's joking, they'd act like he's serious, and like, what what would that? What does that mean? Right?
Speaker 1: We must we must go into a deep dive analysis. And it works. But all of us are going remember when you could be funny? Right for those days?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Unfortunately though it works when you're especially going after a political candidate. You know, they just want to, you know, bake in that negative, the negative negative, negative negative, And then who cares a group of.
Speaker 1: People though that so desperately want comedy to come back. They don't care. They do not believe this blogoney about you can't be funny anymore. I mean, honestly, I am not kidding. When I look back at the shows that I watched as a kid, Seinfeld would not be a show today, could not be a show today. They would never allow that, right, So.
Speaker 2: That's the exciting part. So that's the exciting part. Which gets me too, are our national economic divorce? Like, so those funny things aren't going to be allowed on like network television. It's gonna be the end of comedy for a lot of people, because like and I saw the handwriting on the wall on the last shows that I worked on on CBS and and even before that on ABC, where the sensors would say, oh, we can't really owe and it's like, hey, it's a situation comedy. Like it's a comedy. It's we're not making a documentary. We're not telling people how to live their life. We're slinging jokes. Yet still they would get so uptight about it, you know, and and censor a lot of things. So there's this wonderful invention called the Internet, and let's just for the people who want it. They can come out and watch that show tonight. And then when I go out to a comedy club, I've got a great little tour that I'm I'm starting at the end end of this month, so the fun people can come out and enjoy their lives. You just you're just gonna get everything all a cart. But yeah, this will be it will be the end of network television unless they come to their senses. It'll be the end of cable TV unless they come to their senses. And if you look at what Disney's doing, Disney is batt in a thousand. They're they're simultaneously ruining their brand, They're ruining Marvel, They're ruining Star Wars. It's like everything they touched.
Speaker 1: I saw that you were not a fan of all of the cameos. So you didn't Did you feel like Lizzo and Jack Black just weren't a believable couple? What was it that you just couldn't get with?
Speaker 2: It's it's like the whole the whole mandalorian In in general is just stupid. It's just stupid. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, Like I'm a huge I'm a huge John Favreau fan, and it's like, why do why do these? It just keeps getting more stupid. And I have nothing against Lizzo or Jack Black, but really, that's what you're gonna do, That's what you're gonna do with Jack. Hey, I'm Jack Black and I'm eating food, and there's Lizzo. I'm Lizzo and I'm eating food. It's like, oh my god, Like it's a waste, it's a waste of their talent.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I mean I think we all thought, but that also was very strange because it was sort of this posture of look at all these people we can get. But the whole appeal to the Star Wars brand is that it's people you don't know and they create this amazing show for you to watch. And so it really went against everything that is Star Wars. And I think that's why people went what just happened? And it was totally out of context of what was going on in the Mandalorian. But I think that this is just what is happening in I mean, it's happening in all these brands. They're just die and we're saying why what I mean SNL SNL today is not the SNL that it used to be. I mean, think about can you imagine having Pat on SNL today?
Speaker 2: Right all right?
Speaker 1: Because it'd be like are you offended by that?
Speaker 2: Comedy is always like light years ahead of the crowd, Like light years ahead, Pat doing that whole thing money. Python did some hilarious stuff about like the trans movement back during a Life of Brian and you're just like, holy smoke, and that's like it's the canary in the coal mine. South Park does some wonderful stuff, and I also, yes, that that new sketch comedy show, that show tonight, that's some hilarious things as well.
Speaker 1: So tell us about but you are you have a page people can go Do they pay for this?
Speaker 2: How do you?
Speaker 1: How do you? Yes?
Speaker 2: They pay for it? And that is the the the great thing. It's like a la cart you're going to.
Speaker 1: It's like a secret society. Now if you want to laugh, you have to you have to pay for it secretly on your own.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Cool. I think that's fine.
Speaker 2: Sponsors aren't going to touch it. Sponsors aren't gonna come near this until there's a level of success. And then I'd love the transition to where we're just giving it away, you know, as as the world comes to their senses. But yeah, they go to that show tonight dot com and it's a it's it's like five bucks a month. And here's the great thing. Now, content creators are finding us people. There's people who are making these wonderfully funny mockumentaries. They're making feature films. So like I just wanted to do a comedy show, you know, just like hey, once a month, we'll do the show. It's five bucks, you get it. You know, it's a deal. If you sign up for the whole year or whatever, Like Jim Brewer's done shows with us, and Dave Landau just did a show. Christy Swanson's going to be doing a show. Dean Kane. I want to get like I'm just like everybody. But now the these content creators are coming to us, so like, okay, crap, we need some more bandwidth because we're gonna have to add this show and that movie. So it's quickly turning into like a little mini streaming service, which just is exciting and put some lead in my pencil.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick commercial break. We'll continue next on the Tutor Dixon podcast. So you are taking over as like the conservative version of which I don't. I think comedy is just comedy, so I hate to label it in one realm or the other. But it gives you kind of that comedy Central network that you can create for people who are still wanting to see actual comedy. I mean, I really feel like it's this secret society now where you're like going to the speak easy. What are you doing here today listening to comedy?
Speaker 2: Don't tell anybody it's a news It's a Dave Chappelle show. They're protesting outside. Yes, it's funny, and it's like, I want it to be comedy for everybody. It's what like, like Comedy Central has been into censorship and trying to steer the taste of America for decades now, for decades now, Like the Blue Collar Comedy Tour was like the one of the most successful things Comedy Central ever did, but they always kind of kick those guys to the curb and never really gave them the respect that they deserve. Same thing with Jeff Donham. Jeff Donham amazing success on Comedy Central. Every one of his specials was huge, but they always just kind of, you know, put him to the side because they want to decide who's cool and who's not cool, and they want.
Speaker 1: To be in How do you censor comedy? Isn't the whole point of comedy the shock and awe It makes you laugh. It's something so outrageous that you just think it's hilarious. If you have to, if you have to censor comedy, then we will never laugh again.
Speaker 2: That's right. Comedy exists on surprise. You know that. You It's like it's like a knock knock joke, knock knock, Who's there about. So you you set up this reality and then you have this element of surprise, and with like woke culture and censorship, you're taking away that sense of surprise. I know exactly where Jimmy Fallon's going with a joke. I know exactly where Stephen Colbert is going with a joke. I can write it faster than they can say it. But at least with Gutfeld, you're like, Okay, oh oh, that was a surprise, you know, and that's why he's number one in Late Night. Now. It's not Ryant. It's not rocket surgery.
Speaker 1: Right right, No, there is not rocket surgery. So it's not definitely not that.
Speaker 2: Definitely not that. See and like you think I'm gonna say rocket science, but I turned to surgery. That, my friends, is comedy. Are you guys writing this down? You should probably run.
Speaker 1: I know, I know we should be because maybe that's the next step in this whole podcast if we can just But honestly, I think it's such a draw and that's why I laugh about the Secret Society. But I think people are dying to go back to those old days where you could watch a show and just laugh. I mean, and I used to I remember doing my homework in high school and listening to my parents laugh out loud at nighttime TV. And I don't even think people watch TV anymore. They don't watch the network. They're always streaming. It's whatever show you're into, you just binge watch it. How do we get back to the fact that we see people laughing, Well, that.
Speaker 2: Is why we film. We do that show tonight in front of a live studio audience. That to me is everything. And this is my own personal philosophy on comedy and theater and all of us. I still think that we've got that Caveman DNA. It's funnier when you're in a group of people when you're in a group of people watching something all the same time, Like those old sitcoms, you know, you'd get that great thing, you know, blah blah blah. It was filmed live in front of a studio audience. I always love it. And like Saturday Night Live used to have that as well, where it's like, oh my god, that thing just happened and I'm there was episodes of like Taxi where I literally thought my dad was gonna die. I thought I was watching him die in front of my area. What does oh yello like me? That was just it so And when you hear the audience just roaring with laughter, that's the that's the thing. You need, that live audience. And when when yeah, people are like just watching from their home and they don't and audiences are smart. You can tell when it's a crappy laugh track and when they're trying to fake it.
Speaker 1: You know, right of course if you watching.
Speaker 2: At home, you want to be part of that community experience, like like at a comedy club. My favorite when I'm doing when I'm on stage doing stand up, I always love it. I love the moment like you're just you know, you want to crush and you'll tell a joke, you know, and you just know you're just hammering. You're like Mike Tyson, and you'll see somebody in the audience like howling, and then they'll look over at a stranger and like they'll have this like shared quick communication like oh my god, oh my god, can you believe us?
Speaker 1: That's the best, right, And that's something that we don't see anymore. The other night, we had The Golden Girls on and my my oldest daughter said to my mom, this show is so annoying. There's constantly people laughing as they're talking, and I thought, oh my word, she's never heard a show in front of a live studio audience because they're just watching all of this junk that they come across. Or it's a you know, some Mermaid show and they watched seventy five episodes of it in a row, you know. And I think they're missing out on this. A whole generation could miss it if we do not bring comedy back.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I mean I'm always gonna have of like hope and an optimistic look at the future because they said that like, oh, movies are gonna kill Broadway, that'll be the end of Broadway.
Speaker 1: And I just checked the other day, will kill the Radio Star?
Speaker 2: And I think, well it did.
Speaker 1: No, I still listen to radio.
Speaker 2: We're still no. But like you know that thing when you're watching a music video and you see somebody really ugly singing, You're like, wow, they must be talented.
Speaker 1: But now now those are the people that are lifted up. It's like, look at how amazing and strong and brave.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, it's Lizo in a G string. She must really be great.
Speaker 1: I was thrilled actually when I saw her in the gown on the Mandalorian because it was the most close I've ever seen on Lizzo.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Listen, the costume department isn't the problem on the Mandalorian. It's it's the writers that's that's that's the problem. Costuming is so good they had She's so big, they had a hologram following her. Did you see that? Like walking through and they just like, we're gonna put this hologram thing behind you from more.
Speaker 1: Coverage what is attached to her? And I think it was because I have never seen so much of her body covered. And then there was something hanging off of the back, and I thought this is very strange because it wouldn't her fans of just her nude body hanging out there be a little offended that not only does she have so many clothes on, but they have added a hologram behind her. I don't maybe that was the problem with it. It's almost I know you were hoping for the G string.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Listen, I'm always hoping for the G string. I don't care if you feel if you feel comfy with them suns out, buns out, then you go girl like that's that's the least of our problems. My problem is when society tries to say that that's healthy, like, m I don't know, I don't know how. I don't know how, Like like the real big Girl, I don't know how healthy that is. But you wear what you want to wear. You want to rock a G string on your private jet, Well you go, Lizzo.
Speaker 1: You know listen, I am. I walked by Victoria's Secret the other day and the girls were with me and they looked at it and they were like, you could see the looks on their faces were confused. Now when I was their age and walked past Victoria's Secret, all of the models were these incredibly sexy, super hot supermodels right, and people were like, oh, this is an unachievable lifestyle. We should never have these supermodels. And so then we ended up with real people. And the fact of the matter is that when you are a real people, and you are a real person and you see yourself up there in Victoria's Secret clothes, you're like, oh, crap, I don't want to look like that. And then you walk by when you see a supermodel, You're like, am I gonna look like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go in there and get myself some of those, and and that was how I felt I looked at it. I'm like, well, shoot, if I'm going to see my own fat body looking at me, I don't want to go in there and get underpaid.
Speaker 2: I can. I can get baggy sweatpants at.
Speaker 1: Target exactly exactly. I'm like, where are these brand managers that are like, let's put the average mom body up there. Every mom will come in and want these. And I'm like, no, we like to think that we don't have a mom body. That I have the opportunity to be gisil. But now I'm going to have to look at this and remember that's what I'll look like in that outfit. You would be better off making me believe that I'm going to look hot.
Speaker 2: Yes, and making you Isn't it better for society not to get too philosophical here, but to aspire to something. It's like, oh, I do I do feel a little less than so I should probably try to better myself today so I can get closer to this ideal. Like listen, uh, I could look I could look like Michaelangelo's David if I wanted to, Like, really, I could I just it's time, man. But no, we should aspire to be better. We should aspire towards beauty, we should aspire towards it.
Speaker 1: But that was the idea that they killed when when we were young, it was like, do not tell people they should aspire to this, because you're gonna hurt the feelings of the people who don't. But you know what, I'm actually never gonna have the same body as Giselle, but I like to think that there's a chance, and it does make me want to do something better for myself and for my kids, just it inspires me to have them eat healthier and think about things differently. But because we were told no, actually you should embrace the opposite, it really messed up society, and honestly, it has messed up all of these brands. Nobody I was after, I mean, because I'm sort of weird, and I did have that moment where I went, I don't I don't actually want to see my real body standing like staring at me in underwear. I was like, how is this working out for Victoria's Secret? And I looked it up and I was like, you know what, pretty bad? Yes, not a good thing. No one else wants to see that either.
Speaker 2: It's it's wild to watch all these brands completely self destruct. But that's great because I like so hopefully, Like there's some like you know, Mom and Pop lingerie store right now that's just killing it, right, that's just killing it because they're like, here's what's gonna make you look sexy. Here's a g string in a corset and it's made out of pleather. Go like, that's all wonderful. But they don't care, and they make these giant mistakes, these giant mistakes, especially with the lives.
Speaker 1: Literally, I mean this is like they were giant people there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like if you go back to like the food pyramid, the food pyramid, the government's like this is the right way to go, and it was horrible, and so now you get an obesity problem and they go okay, and they don't even apologize. These fucking bastards. They don't even say they're sorry. And then they come at as they go, you know what, the kids need self esteem, self esteem, so everyone gets a medal, everyone's a winner. Huge mistake. We now have idiots who think they're smart and have great self esteem, and now they're like.
Speaker 1: The food pyramid all goes back to the lobbyists that said we got to get more bread sold. We have to have more of this sold, and then they're making a ton of money. So it may be a mistake for us, but suddenly big Farmer goes, thank you, you just sent us a bunch of patients. I mean, there really isn't twisted behind the scenes to all of that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and there's never an apology, and they keep making these huge mistakes, and I think they've finally gone too far with COVID and the lockdowns and all that stuff, like, oh, children are resilient, they don't even need to go to school, so now they're even dumber than before. And now they've taken it to this insane level of hey, little boy, do you think you're a girl. Let's sign you up for surgery. And then you're like, oh okay, and then can we go get a tattoo after that surgery? Oh no, you can't get a tattoo. You're too young to make Caro pic shots.
Speaker 1: It's coret and make sure you take that ozepic shot at eleven. Yes, I mean it's crazy that. I mean, we you talk about the art imitating life, and so oftentimes I see remember the movie Wally where that all the people were just gigantic and they moved around in chairs and they didn't actually do anything this. But I'm like, oh my gosh, we've become this. I look around at the airport and everybody's looking up their phones. We're all so lazy now. And we're like, instead of saying you should aspire to something else, we're like, embrace the laziness. In fact, we're going to show you pictures of other lazy people to make you feel good about being lazy. And we do feel good about it. We're like, yes, in fact, don't make jokes about it, because nobody wants to feel bad anymore. Because there is a little bit of conviction that happens when you hear these like oh, you know, maybe I should go work out. No, heaven forbid, anyone is convicted to do something good. We have to stay on the same path.
Speaker 2: The great thing, great thing though, about making fun of like fat people, Like when you do, you don't have to worry about them chasing you down because you know they're pretty easy to outrun. That's the That's the one shining beacon of hope in all this. They're just back there with there and hailer chicken.
Speaker 1: Well they've got long COVID.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's what it is. That's what it is. I got it. I just got I got, I got long COVID, and I got a Domino's Pizza addiction. Don't you shame me.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick commercial break. We'll continue next on the Tutor Dixon Podcast. Domino's Pizza is another one. I don't know what they did, but I don't know. It has not been as good as it used to be. My Domino's Pizza addiction has made me move to another brand now, but I haven't seen anything.
Speaker 2: Hold on crazy from here's what you do with Domino's pizza. Okay, and it's horrible, but it makes it so much better. You get your Domino's pizza, then you get it out of the box. Don't start eating it yet. Don't start eat you're not done. Warm up a skillet with just a little bit of oil, then put those slices in the skillet. It like it's like time. Try It's so delicious. Yes, I know you're ordering feeling.
Speaker 1: You didn't listen to my whole wally analogy where I want to be lazy I order pizza. I don't want to have to eat it up in oil and make it some sort of Tuskin delight.
Speaker 2: That was my that's my male stripper name to Tuscan Delight. But is a Star Wars Tuscan Raider. I go out there with the headger. Yeah, it's a niche audience, right.
Speaker 1: Well, you know they have to go somewhere now because they're disappointed in Star Wars. You actually have a pretty big audience, you know.
Speaker 2: What it's it's why held with that show tonight and then even my YouTube channel which is the Loftiest Party and people should check out the Loftiestparty dot com. There's so much censorship going on and there's such an insane amount of you know, suppressing of content. If you're making fun of the wrong things. However, you can't keep it. You can't keep it censored forever. Like people still find out about it and they share it.
Speaker 1: You know, right, So, so how how successful how long have you been doing that show tonight? And how successful is it? And tell people again where they get, how they go to it, how they find it, how they share it.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's it's very you can go to if you just want to watch some clips, you know, some sample clips. Go to YouTube and just search up that show tonight, and then you're gonna want to subscribe and support this wonderful comedic endeavor. So you go to that show tonight dot com and it's funny. It's like, you know, making fun of the woke, making fun of socialists. Or we've been kicked off of TikTok twice for no reason, like are we put out a video and it just starts.
Speaker 1: I think they know that you're not supporting the ccpiece. I mean that could be it.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's hilarious. We'll put a video out and it just goes like wildfire. It's it's just it just starts spreading like crazy and then they go, you'll have violated our terms our service, bine and we're gone. So we've been doing the show for almost a year now, and it's very funny because some of the first videos that we ever did are now circulating all over the place. We've had in the past two weeks, we've had over seven million views on like wow clips. Yeah, and I don't want to say I don't want to say the platform because I know the AI is listening. Yeah, no, but yeah, we're not allowed to.
Speaker 1: They're smarter than us.
Speaker 2: Facebook allow us to advertise. Google won't allow us to advertise. YouTube won't allow us to advertise. Yet somehow, some way, grassroots, it's just been happening, and it's it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Did you hear that Now AI has a plan to destroy the world? Did you hear the latest news? AI has one one of the ais they tweeted some AI it was what was it? It was like a version of some type of chat GPT or whatever it is, and they came out with this this plan that would destroy humanity. And then AI talks about how it will take over and I'm like this, actually, that's not comedy.
Speaker 2: It's it's too funny. It's like because I've been concerned about I've been concerned about this for a long time, like I have. I wrote my first novel. I've written like movies and television shows and YadA, YadA. I just wrote my first novel, which is called Neither Stunning nor Brave, And it's like this romantic comedy set in a not too distant dystopia. So when you start to and I love science fiction and all that wonderful stuff, but when you start to ask yourselves, Okay, so if we make this thing, what happens next? And with AI, everybody thinks it's going to be like the Terminator and they go, oh, well, there'll be robots and I'll just throw water on them and they'll be a resistance. AI is AI is not playing And that's why Elon Musk and everybody who knows what they're talking about in this field is like, stop, just stop, stop right now. We need so much.
Speaker 1: Right now, we only have to worry about whether you are actually a man or a woman, not a robot. But that's the future, right, But.
Speaker 2: Like an AI, what's what's to stop an AI just from launching all the nukes?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I oh, I mean I think it's I'm not joking about it. It is incredibly serious and it's terrifying, and you're right. It is why Elon Musk has come out and said, yeah, this is not a toy. This is not a toy. But we love to play with things, Yes we do.
Speaker 2: And it's like San Francisco now has robot cops. New York is gonna have robot cops, no way.
Speaker 1: And if a robot cops decides to take you down. I mean, let's face it, we're not beating the robots. I just we're not.
Speaker 2: Can you just imagine? It's like, there's so many drunk people who ride the Long Island Railroad late at night, and so so a little R two D two things starts coming up to you and wants to write you a ticket for drunken disorderly people are gonna knock that thing over. They're gonna be taking selfies with it, graffiti, They're gonna there's gonna be there's gonna be. Uh.
Speaker 1: But the next one that comes is one of those weird dog looking ones and then it just rips you apart or something. And how do we know that AI is not gonna be a bunch of exactly, I don't know the dog.
Speaker 2: I don't like the dog robots. They have those and it comes with an attachment for a shotgun on the back. Do you know that? It's just like it's just like you just their weapons.
Speaker 1: Yes, they are. And I'm not kidding when I say I see those things. And I was watching something the other day and the girls are like, how cute is that? I'm like, see that's the thing. We think it's it's not cute. It's and I think too many people right now are like, this is so fun and it'll be so exciting to have these robots. And I watched WandaVision and I could fall in love with one. And it's not not that yes, not that, yes, it's weird.
Speaker 2: It's uh, the robots that look like robots. Nobody has a problem with it, right, It's when you get into that uncanny valley like you'll always have like, hey, an inventor in Japan has the world's first robot prostitute, and then it'll turn its head and.
Speaker 1: That movie, Megan, that's what I'm afraid of. Say what the movie Megan?
Speaker 2: I have not seen it? Is it? Megan? Fox? Though?
Speaker 1: Because they make they make a little girl that is a friend to someone and she looks exactly like a little girl. So it's not like C three po, We're talking about a human that's actually a robot. Like small Wonder.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, I don't want to see that. I don't.
Speaker 1: But this is a small wonder that turns on every evening and kills them, right, yeah, children exactly. But but think about how smart that would be if you were an enemy to go all right, We've gotten way off topic now, so I should probably rain us back and bring us Yes, so I've kept I've kept you longer than I promise, but you really have. This has been so much fun for me. And I'm sure everybody in the room with me right now is like, are you really are you gonna hear that? But I am because it's so much fun. So I wait a minute.
Speaker 2: This has been high quality contents. People right now who are like, don't air that one. Don't. Are you sure?
Speaker 1: You're always nervous about anything, like somebody's going to use this against you? I'm like, have you seen my life? Literally? Every day something? I'm over it. I'm over everybody using everything against me. Go for me. I take it.
Speaker 2: There's no such thing as bad press. Now, now we should say something really horrific.
Speaker 1: I've actually found out that you can. You actually can't have bad press. Run for governor. It'll change your mind.
Speaker 2: Well, I had a fantastic time, and I'm hoping I didn't ruin your career. Now I feel guilty.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you you just have to take me on that show tonight when this all blows out and I end up homeless.
Speaker 2: You have to take me in with absolute joy, With absolute joy, We'll get you out pushing your little shopping cart and I'll be like, you should host the show. Let's get you air and makeup.
Speaker 1: There you go, there you go. I have and I have four children, so though they.
Speaker 2: Come along, they have their own little shopping carts. You're like the Mama duck.
Speaker 1: Exactly. That is there are actually people out there that would love to see that. And that is the sick thing about this because we're so we have to be so divided right now that if if I don't agree with you on everything, then I definitely want you to be pushing a shopping cart somewhere. Yeah, So that is when it happens, I'll call.
Speaker 2: That's horribly annoying when you have like a candidate who like, oh, this person embodies everything I want, and then they make some comment about I don't I think it's a little early for straw hat season, and everybody's.
Speaker 1: Hold on.
Speaker 2: It's all a straw hat season. Good Lord in Heaven, people are ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Oh no, It's true though, because when I was campaigning, the team was like, so they want you to go bear hunting, and I was like, oh, that it's not exactly something I've done before. We really think it would be good for you to go bear hunting. And I thought bear hunting was way different than what it was because I read the book We're going on a Bear Hunt, Yeah, and they went over things and under things and it was a real journey. But this was not that. We actually wrote in a car and looked for bear tracks the whole day, So it was not as exciting as I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be pretty tense and we would contact a bear, but we didn't. But then, you know, when we're done bear hunting, people were like, you know, there are a lot of people that don't like bear hunting, and I'm like, okay, so we have to be a little quiet about the bear hunting. And I'm like, I mean, is this really a make or break moment? You know, how bad could it be? But I learned a lot bear hunting. Actually yeah, yeah. Their dogs do most of the work, so you can you can be I mean it's kind of a relaxed event, to be honest. Thought it was going to be way more time.
Speaker 2: Most most hunting as it's done today is a relaxed event, like deer hunting. You're sitting in a tree, you got a cooler, You're just like, hey, look at me. I'm I'm hunting. No, you're sitting.
Speaker 1: I know. I had that like hunter gatherer mentality. I thought, I don't know why I did not grow up with hunters. So I imagined hunters were all running after things and shooting them. But that's not how it happens.
Speaker 2: That's what I want to I want to bow an arrow alloincloth. I want to be running. I want to be picking up dirt, blow it and going yeah, two this way and then you run. That's what I.
Speaker 1: Want, right right. I know, No, it's not. It's not like that. So the next exciting thing on my list for sure is going to be like ice fishing. I think that that's probably a lot more energetic.
Speaker 2: That's great, Yeah, because you have you have a sweet little hut that's just all decked out.
Speaker 1: You can get in a nap and you can and you can. Actually, what I don't understand is they go out and they have the hut and then they have a heater inside the hut, and I feel like there is a love. There has to be a little bit of a level of excitement there because I mean, are you melting the ice? Are you falling through? Is there a risk of death? I don't know.
Speaker 2: You have that underlying tension of like are we about to fall in?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Exactly right. I don't have to fight for my life. Are my muscles all going to give out on me because of the cold water? You know that could happen? And then you see there every year and I think there's got to be some adventure there that I'm missing.
Speaker 2: I go to Africa, Go to Africa. I did stand up in South Africa and we did like a Safari thing, and there is adventure everywhere everywhere.
Speaker 1: You're like, that sounds like you have to do a little running.
Speaker 2: Am I going to get killed by bandits? Right out of right leaving the hotel?
Speaker 1: That's how I feel about New York's right.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing. Walk through New York City without getting mugged or attacked?
Speaker 1: That's right. See, I don't even have to go to Africa. Now I can go to San Francisco. Have you not heard right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? San Francisco Safari. Try to make it through without stepping on a needle? Is that guy homeless or crazy or both? Was that human poop or dog poop. I don't I know.
Speaker 1: Did she have a bad bowel moment or did she just get birth? We don't know. There's anything can happen in San Francisco on the streets.
Speaker 2: The city of mystery, the city of.
Speaker 1: All right. I really, I'm this is going really down. And I think that it's the best podcast we've ever had. I actually think it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: That's great, and I think you're the best host I've ever had.
Speaker 1: Well, you have to come back. We've had a lot of fun. So Michael loftis loved having you here. He is the co creator and executive producer of that show tonight. Make sure you check it out. Like you said, you can go to YouTube and just watch some clips. If you're nervous about make you taking the full plunge, that full five dollars. But as you can see from this conversation today, it is well worth it because it is so much fun to laugh, don't you think?
Speaker 2: I not? Only do? I think? I know? And so everybody, come on, thatshow tonight dot com. Let's get crazy, take the plunge, take the comedy ice bucket challenge.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, your credit card can handle another five dollars. You haven't paid it off anythere.
Speaker 2: You get rid of Disney Plus, you loser. Why give them your money to people that hate you anyway? Dummy?
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. When why watch Lizzo fully dressed when you can go to that show tonight, right and.
Speaker 2: See me dressed up as a trans swimmer. I'm winning awards.
Speaker 1: There you go, that's perfect, That's exactly what we need. Thank you for doing here today. I have to have you back. Thank you. I really appreciate you being here.
Speaker 2: Let's do it again.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Michael Loftis, thank you so much, and thank you all for being here at the Tutor Dixon Podcast. As you know for this episode and others. Just check out Tutordison podcast dot com and you can subscribe right there. Make sure you join us next time on the Tutor Dixon Podcast. I cannot promise it will be this funny, but it'll be good, So thank you