Speaker 1: Worrying. Today's episode contains spoilers for episodes seven and eight of Mall Shadow Lord. You warn't We're in it. Hello. It is Jasconcepcion and I'm Rosie Knight and welcome back to xtra Vision, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture.
Speaker 2: You from my heart.
Speaker 1: We're bringing you three episodes a.
Speaker 2: Week past news on Saturday. But today it's not news.
Speaker 3: Well it kinda is, because we're going to be giving you news from the mid Rim. Yes, it is more Shadow Lord episodes one O seven and one O eight. Me and Jason will be recapping them and reacting, and then of course we'll be inviting super producer Joe Allen to talk a little bit more about what's going on, what questions she has, and what we want to see from the final two episodes of Dave Feloni's newist Star Wars animated show.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: More.
Speaker 3: Chapter seven, The Call to Oblivion, the Superstar Destroyer hovers over Jane's as the city is put into lockdown under Empire forces.
Speaker 2: I do love to see a Superstar Destroyer.
Speaker 3: You can't lie like you love to see every it's an ominous figure in the skies, but it makes you feel excited as a Star Wars fan.
Speaker 1: Yes, an inspiring site.
Speaker 3: Inspiring site deep under the streets of Janix, though, More leads Riley and Devon to a certain kind of safety, despite the fact that neither of them really want to trust him. More offers to get the pair offworld if they need it, but it's not enough to make Devon trust him. Meanwhile, Daki and Lawson wander the streets looking for their children. Bad dads, both of them not winning on the dad front, like maure is with your child the guy who looks like the villain from Insidious, like that's who has your childrens the only sith that neither of you know who runs a crime syndicate, like come on, they look for the children, and Daki is basically giving him like et Honestly, you know, I'm not a lawsome fan, but Daki was giving him like the worst basist, like just Jedi advice like will be peaceful, like blah blah blah bah. Not useful, right this guy. I mean, we talked about this last week when you weren't here. Do you think that the do you think that the show is making Jedi philosophy look cool?
Speaker 2: No, no, so do you think that it is?
Speaker 1: And I think that this might be what it's doing though very kind of subtly, is making it look out of touch on purpose?
Speaker 2: Interesting?
Speaker 3: I agree, I do think it's making it look out of touch. And I do think specifically having the only representation of the Jedib someone who's so by the book, who doesn't even believe in like, you know, these aren't the apples you're looking for. He doesn't believe in using the force for anything other than like to protect civilians and stuff.
Speaker 2: So yeah, actually I.
Speaker 3: Think that's a really interesting point. I will say, yeah, Daki, he's a very.
Speaker 2: Old school guy.
Speaker 3: He's not doing a great job. I don't really know what's driving Devon. And obviously Maul is the most interesting character here, and he's talking a lot more about the juxtaposition between the dark and the light and the Jedi and the Sith. So I think that, you know, maybe that's to make more seem cooler, and it does, you know, but yeah, very interesting point. I definitely don't think the Jedi are coming across well here. Also, I feel like Daki is like the most obvious Jedi that should have gotten got.
Speaker 2: In Order sixty six.
Speaker 3: I know we talk about how useless Order sixty six is, but I feel like he's so obviously that Jedi, like they should have got him, Like he shouldn't have been.
Speaker 2: Hard to get so under the ground.
Speaker 3: Rook Cast couldn't be madder that Maul was like, why are you bringing these fucking children? Like why are you bringing them to the lair like a cops child.
Speaker 2: By the way, Riley's name, I.
Speaker 3: Think because of Star Wars naming conventions, but it cracks me up every time I.
Speaker 2: See it r y l Ee. So it's really giving, Like those women.
Speaker 3: On Tumbler, you know, who have like Kaylee but spelt the most arranged way you could ever imagine. Devin is like I need to save my master. Who else will give me boring Jedi advice that I will never.
Speaker 2: Be able to who else will let me get arrested?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Who else amongst us would love let me starve?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Who will let me starve and get arrested? And More's like, Hey, don't worry, just come off planet with me, which again not a great plan, but he's also like, don't worry, I'll reveal what my plan is when we get off planet, like sure, sure, and Devon's like, okay, look, I'm not dumb. I've been around manipulative men with the force all my life. And fortunately Mare doesn't really have time to play miss the nice guy, so he shakes her trust a little by force freezing her to stop.
Speaker 2: Her escape, which is very very.
Speaker 3: I found this to actually be like a very scary reminder of like who More actually is. Yes, he's not actually like this kind of great liberator, he's not really this conflicted person.
Speaker 2: He wants her to be a weapon, and.
Speaker 3: Obviously that's this really great moment of conflict that's then followed by this really fun action scene as they have to fight alongside each other to get away from the Empire, who turn up with an army of stormtroopers to take Riley. Then, well this is crazy. We see the Inquisitor head back out to finally try and achieve his mission, but he is stopped by the Eleventh Brother, who, if you remember, is the extreme.
Speaker 2: Bird mast Inquisitor.
Speaker 3: It's like kind of like a bird skull debut entails of the Jedi, and everyone was like, oh no, he's so cool, We'll never see him again incorrect.
Speaker 2: He's back, yeah, and now.
Speaker 3: Uh, Devin and Daki's fight is like, we've got to get Riley back from the stormtroopers. Speaking of Riley, Snitch bought two boots, has had his two boots taken off of him.
Speaker 2: Imagine that they took his boots.
Speaker 3: He licked the boots and they still took him and is starting to realize that maybe calling in the Empire wasn't the best, Like.
Speaker 1: My whole my whole thing was like, let's call the Empire, and it kind of feels like that was a mistake.
Speaker 3: Like Jason, if you're looking at that as like a play by play, it's not looking good, right, Like there's nothing good has turned out about it, and he has essentially ended up in a position where he's like, now they've kidnapped my human.
Speaker 2: Nephew kind of and they keep being.
Speaker 3: Like, we're gonna fucking wipe your memory, like shut the fuck up, or we're gonna wipe your memory. So as he's learning that, you know, reporting to the Empire was not a good idea, Cast is basically on the other side of things, convincing more that Devin just loves the Jedi, like you're never gonna get her to be what you want her to be.
Speaker 2: Maybe there's someone else around like May who's never seen You could have been someone you've never seen. And back to old two boots.
Speaker 3: He apparently is again getting back into this idea of agency. He is programmed so that he can't snitch on the Empire. Apparently, it seems, despite the fact.
Speaker 1: Which had questions about that very new programming this pushed out.
Speaker 3: Are they doing like, you know, updates as long as your canne Galaxy.
Speaker 2: You are the Superstar Destroyer link, can.
Speaker 1: You get Yeah, you must update all of your droids to Galaxy firm where one point five.
Speaker 3: If your droid is asleep between the hours of one am and five am, he will get the latest you know, jedda update.
Speaker 2: So yeah.
Speaker 3: So he apparently can't do that, and Lawson keeps paging him to be like, where's my son?
Speaker 2: You know who you helped raise. Sadly, he can't do anything about it, it seems.
Speaker 3: In the lut lush depths of Janex, More and his crew try to evade the Empire, but the Inquisitor and the Eleventh Brother appeared just in time to take them down. It's a pretty epic battle with a crazy Stormtrooper body count like crazy body count as Cast in her crew just barrage any and all Stormtroopers with non stop bullet fire, very cathartic stuff, just like real peak Star Wars.
Speaker 2: Good ship more than the inquisitors face down.
Speaker 3: But they obviously I don't know that Maul is really good in three ways, so as they.
Speaker 1: Foa, is that how we're saying it good?
Speaker 3: It didn't actually end well for him actually, so maybe he's kind of bad in three ways. But while they fight, Barrio tries to take a ship, but instead it's taken by three rogue Dark Watch mandos who are sick of Cast and Maul's.
Speaker 2: Like lovers drama.
Speaker 3: They're just like, get us out of here and get it.
Speaker 2: I don't blame it, I get it. I do not blame them.
Speaker 3: They don't make it far before their ship is shot out of the sky. While the Zabrec twins Joelle's favorites tried to back more, one of them is killed.
Speaker 1: Rip to that, well, let me just say.
Speaker 2: I talk about it a little.
Speaker 1: I am a little frustrated that we don't know anything about.
Speaker 2: This poor guy, right.
Speaker 5: I feel like he is now deceased it's giving he's going to get a book about him, but I don't want to wait two years, even though I love that they're going to give somebody time to write the book, like I need to know about him now.
Speaker 1: And I also feel like this is looking at it a little bit, but for a character like mal who is trying to reassemble a family around him, m M, I thought this would hit harder.
Speaker 3: Agree, And I feel like if we knew more about him, it would hit harder as well, Like if we knew.
Speaker 2: More about the relationship. I agree.
Speaker 1: I know I'm sad to see I'm sad to see this guy go because you know, again we don't.
Speaker 2: We know very little, so.
Speaker 3: We leave more ultimately at the mercy of the inquisitors.
Speaker 2: Apparently they're head.
Speaker 3: They're on the behalf of the emperor, who's like wants to kill him obs. So Maure does a classic Jedi trick and just moves a bunch of rocks, this time the ones above him, making the cave fall in. We love to see a Jedi Force user Sith move some rocks. He did it, they caved in. He got away, and let's go to an ad break and you can join us.
Speaker 2: For More shadow Lord Chapter eight B.
Speaker 3: However, More Shadow Lord Chapter eight more makes his way out of the fallen tunnel system that he brought down with his force powers, and so does the Eleventh Brother and some of the empire seemingly infinite number of stormtroopers. They have a lot of stormtroopers right now, guys like, it's kind of crazy and they are just sacrificing every single one of them. Moore's little probe droid is out looking for it. Master Cast believes More to be missing, but is sure he'll find the gang wherever they end up, which is the right way to approach it. I think Moore has a reflective moment, literally seeing himself as a young man in a puddle as his legs malfunction relatable in twenty twenty six. He just like, I feel like that's me. Every day he fights on with his usual fury towards his end goal. Riley is still in Empire prison, very mad to me that his mom has not turned up to save him yet.
Speaker 2: I guess that nepotism.
Speaker 3: Isn't that powerful in the galaxy, or maybe his mom really does suck.
Speaker 2: Maybe we've been too hot on Yeah, it might be the fact that he hasn't she.
Speaker 3: Hasn't like cooled up and been like hey, let my son out of prison, and is kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: There must have been something cut out because it feels like a real weird miss to not have more of her anyway. I would have loved for her to show up in Yeah, me too, What's the deal?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 3: Because also the next part I found very confusing, though it tells me a lot about how good his parenting was. Riley is then like set upon by the election brother and was definitely never trained or prepared in any way by his father for any kind of interrogation.
Speaker 2: Or his mom. So I feel like they both failed.
Speaker 3: Like this is an era where we've seen Sa Guerrera, Like we know what the jedis. The jedis are blindfolding kids at a young age and giving them lightsabers.
Speaker 2: Like there's a way that you could have told.
Speaker 3: Him, like, hey man, I work for this force, like you might need to one day know, like don't say anything, here's what you should say, Here's how you protect yourself.
Speaker 2: Like he is just so.
Speaker 3: Immediately terrified, and I'm like this poor space lacrosse kid, like he had no chance.
Speaker 2: You know it's it's not going well for him. He's looking very upset.
Speaker 3: Luckily, Laws and Daki and Devon are offered transport by Rena remember her, the sexy purple alien informant. But Laws is like, no, I can't leave without my son sexy informant that I'm definitely having sex with, like remember.
Speaker 2: Him something, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Two Boots quickly realizes, thanks to one human interaction action, that the empire is bad.
Speaker 2: Actually so now he can't.
Speaker 1: Help late than never to figure this out.
Speaker 2: We got to welcome in. We got to make the umbrella.
Speaker 3: Bigger for the droids who used to be booth liquors, but now they've learned their ways, like.
Speaker 1: And to be clear and to be honest. Like I guess that Lawson could have explained his aversion to the you know, in non my ex wife terms, Like he could have been like, try and you just give him some info because two Boots clearly was just like he clearly working off, working off the the update and also the propaganda. But you know, to slightly defend two Boots, he was just doing what the rules say.
Speaker 3: He was exactly you know he at Bart He's now learned, and Lawson is like, I'm gonna swap myself for Riley.
Speaker 2: That's I'm who they rarely want. I'm like, do they want you?
Speaker 3: Like? Is it that deep?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Are you that important?
Speaker 3: I don't know though, why the Empire would want him or would care if they swap places is like definitively unclear. As the Empire's grip on Janics becomes stronger, the street's empty. We see that kind of imperial shadow spread across the planet. Where they used to be fun and juvility, it's very andorish.
Speaker 2: Daki and Devon agreed to help Riley get to the transport.
Speaker 3: If Lawson successfully frees him with the help of two boots, he's back.
Speaker 2: He's now using those two boots to stomp on.
Speaker 3: The Protective Services of the Galaxy or whatever they're calling the cops. A traumatized Riley is saved by two boots, which we love to see, though I have to say Riley's looking fucked up, like he's looking wrung out that he has been through it. They did some They put that fucking alien shit on his head like his dad. He's gonna be in therapy for a long time, even more so than just you being like an absent Dad, We rejoin, We rejoined More as he fights his way through a very dusty tunnel, seeing and hearing ghosts from his past, like his own brother, Savajah Press and obviously Darth Sidious. It is like an existential crisis on a major level, but also one that plays the hits, showing us how More was tortured and manipulated by Sidious, how his brother tried to save him. We get replays of his spider legs and a reminder of the vengeance that drives him. His anger towards Sidious and all that he took from him. His fury fuels him through the dust. Devon evades the Empire forces and does her best to find a ship to steal so that she and her master and potentially Riley can get to a meeting point with Sexy Rena and get off the world. Unfortunately, she tries to steal from some guys who are already in the ship.
Speaker 2: And while we don't see the fight. Weird choice. Yes, I feel like this is such a weird choice.
Speaker 3: I do not believe we've gotten the cool, badass moments from Devon yet that we could have had. I know, maybe this was like an animation speed issue or maybe like a money issue, but I was very disappointed. We do see that she makes quick work of them, though they're all kind of dead or on the floor while she flies the ship out of the dock and towards her us From Riley speaking of the child, two Boots just straight up kills a bunch of Stormtroopers to save him. So I gotta say, like the two Boots has joined the cause on the right side, and he's like, I've got to make up for it. He's giving what's his you know, gi Robot Like it's very like, do you want to kill Nazis with me? And he's like, I'm just gonna kill as many of these Stormtroopers as I need.
Speaker 2: To to get you back to your shit eating.
Speaker 1: It's nice to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm proud of him.
Speaker 3: Rather than Riley and Lawson joining Devon and Daki. He lass is like, I am gonna give myself up. But when Devon arrives, he gets in her stolen ship with two Boots and they head towards the meeting point trail by speeder troopers. Nice to see a little speeder chase. Devon is apparently a pretty good getaway driver feels like they should have been never seing that before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, never driven this ship before and is doing very well.
Speaker 3: That does tie into one of my absolute favorite theories, which is everyone who's a force user is a really good pilot, right, And that's why I like, you know, Hanna is really a force user because he's a really good pilot. Because it's the same with even Finn. You know, he gets in and he just knows how to use it. But yeah, very silly and fun. And while she escapes more than seemingly like trapped by his past in the tunnels under Janets.
Speaker 2: He is going through it.
Speaker 3: He's going through He's wandering around, his little electric legs are shorting out. He's kind of feeling sorry for himself, and he's like, I need a back to tank.
Speaker 2: I gotta be inside the back to the tank. And I just the whole time, I was like, I just feel like he should use the force, to be honest, like.
Speaker 3: Just some way, Like there's something like is the lead pipe stopping him from using the force?
Speaker 1: Like I think the fact that he's going through this intense emotional turmoil and that we know that his force powers are strongest when he is tapped into his hatred and here he's just so sad.
Speaker 2: That's true. Oh my god, that's kind.
Speaker 1: That it's weakening him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like that read a lot.
Speaker 3: So there's a great moment here where Moore sees crying baby more in the reflection of a puddle once again. And this was when I was like, Okay, whoever directed this episode. Love the Defying Gravity scene in Wicked Part one starring Cynthia River and Ariana Grande because it's very evocative of the moment when she reaches Alphaba reaches out to her younger self before she grabs the one that at the broom and starts singing like, oh if you cared to find I would actually love to see a mashup of Darth Maure doing that. Sam Whitwa, would you be interested? We would love to have you sing it anyway.
Speaker 2: Moore is like, I'm never gonna let anyone do this.
Speaker 3: Sidius is never gonna do this again, and it's like, too late, baby, He's already doing it. That one like it's happened in the elevator to the meeting point.
Speaker 2: They're still on their way. Devon realizes a.
Speaker 3: Trap is a foot I feel like she should have realized that before with the force, but you know whatever. Lawson doesn't believe it because he's dumb, but Riley does because he's like, I've actually hung around with this person. They are sensible, and Daki does too. Because of the Force. Rena is clearly compromised by the Empire, and now the crew must just skip an elevator.
Speaker 2: To their doom.
Speaker 3: And the Inquisitors, of course, they have lightsabers too, so it's easy to chop their way out of the elevator. And Rina manages to shoot the Empire transport, leaving there would be captors stranded. We had to Nicodemus's old office, remember him.
Speaker 2: Great name, Love the guy. Love that guy. Rip to that man. What about all the murders. He was a great guy. It's all good murders.
Speaker 3: Vario Moorland Brook are there hiding out where Vario reveals Dunt Dunt Dun that the leader of the Crimson Dawn ever heard of it in a solo a Star Wars story.
Speaker 2: Wants to meet. So guess what, guys, things are looking up. This is it's happening.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take over the organization. Okay, let's take a quick break and we'll.
Speaker 3: Be talk about.
Speaker 1: And we're back. I think that these were the strongest episodes of the of the of the series. Let's bring in super producer Joelle to discuss your thoughts on these episodes.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have it's okay, it's okay, we're gonna get there together. I believe it was Scorn. Scorn was the yellow one. He got pushed over, right, it was the bigger one who died. Yeah, yeah, that's Scorning.
Speaker 1: Not it was it was Scorn.
Speaker 4: Not Okay, Acres has the flag too close to the sun and burn up later.
Speaker 2: I assume, yeah, if we go by the Lord.
Speaker 4: If he's named that for a reason. I would like to know what we learned in this episode where we finally get Mall reflecting on its past, uh and the agony of it all. I've been waiting for this episode. This was what I thought the whole season was building up to. And while some of it was very like emotionally affecting, like you know, crawling through the gutter and seeing your pass abuse emotional for anyone, but then I don't get a clear idea of what he's trying to do with that or how it has changed him or why we went on this journey, and maybe I missed it. I'm open to that. What did you guys feel about his journey?
Speaker 3: I think that for me the episodes worked on an emotional level just because I already care about the character, right, Yes, But as I mentioned in the recap, it's really a greatest hits of what we already know about him. So while it did work for me, I think this is part of the issue that the show has because they said it's not going to be a homework show, right, but actually there is a lot of stuff that it feels like you have to do homework on because stuff is not very fleshed out. Then ironically they add stuff like this that is essentially exposition for people who have not watched the show before. So it's the stuff that they're choosing to say you don't have to do homework about.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they balance those choices correctly. Even though I loved that kind.
Speaker 3: Of greatest hits of why Male is who he is like, it worked for me.
Speaker 2: But I do think you're.
Speaker 3: Right that do we know more about him and what his journey is right now? I don't necessarily know. I came out of these two episodes feeling that, but I did enjoy them a lot.
Speaker 1: I I agree with that that take. I think that what's well. I love the emotional stuff.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 1: I love the flashbacks and the kind of emotional engine for Maul where you realize just like how traumatizing hurt he is by everything that's happened at the end of the Clone Wars into up to now. That said, structurally, it makes much more sense for that to be in the beginning of the end.
Speaker 3: That the tunnels anytime. This could have been much more episode.
Speaker 1: This could have been the first episode him trying to find Absolutely and I. And it also kind of dovetails into the previous criticism that I that I had, which was I feel like when we had twenty plus episodes of Clone Wars, right, you could have this kind of pacing where character development is a great siloed off in one episode, like you just get the one here is just the one Ahsoka episode where you find out about all the stuff that she's dealing with.
Speaker 2: You don't have full episode what's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: With Yeah, and you can treat them like bottle episodes. We did get like two and three episode arcs sometimes, but you got those like once every one and a half seasons or something, and but here it makes more sense to thread character development through this. There's only eight episodes, thread it all the way through the series, and I just feel like to start knowing exactly how torn up mal is and then go somewhere from there, like losing losing the zabrac Icarus iscris we lost, gone to lose like the fact that that didn't land at all. He should mall should be fucking torn up about that. How many is that left that he knows he's fucking he should be devastated about that. And if we get that scene in the tunnels earlier, and then each episode you're getting a little bit more of like what these people around.
Speaker 2: Him cru and how me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the found family and he's not. And then you could kind of dwell on let the let the audience dwell on the fact that, like he's assembling these people, but he's also not appreciating the time he has with them, and then when one of them dies or several of them die, it can really hit and I feel like they left they left stuff on the table. Now, I did like these episodes because of this character development stuff, although I agree with the criticism that it wasn't necessary development. It was like a lot of retreading of ground that we know about. But yeah, I think they love They just left emotional, they left juice on the team.
Speaker 3: You know what you touch on something really good there and true there because like think about the Star Wars, Jedi Survivor games, right, they can introduce characters that you don't spend a lot of time with, and then they're like this one's lost, this one's dead, and you're like, oh.
Speaker 2: My god, my whole crew. No, I love them, what do you mean? Like, And it's because you're invested.
Speaker 3: I feel like they didn't do enough here, Like the rook cast for example, like that thing is really something that we are more reflecting on her this like idea of her being jealous.
Speaker 2: But it's so interesting.
Speaker 3: Even the teaser is interesting, right, And that's what a first season is meant to do. And then maybe Dave Filoni hears that conversation and he goes, that's exactly what I was trying to do, or he goes, oh, it wasn't, but season two we're gonna expand you know, that's what first seasons are meant to do, but with more with Deva, with Daki, I don't know what the tease is. And with the Zabracs, I would have liked to have gotten to know them and seen that reflection for more of he lost his brother, Yeah, you know, that's like the biggest loss in his life. I feel like unless the next episode is like a bottle episode of Icarus and Scorn, which I don't see happening eight nine episodes into a ten episode season, but like, I feel like that is a missed opportunity for so much gravitas and reflection about Savage and about him and about.
Speaker 4: The family they are trying to build what they actually mean the impact, there's a lot, and at this point I have to wonder, like, are we just doing this on purpose? And should this be you know, we've talked about this a little bit over the last couple of weeks, but like, part of the greatness of Star Wars fandom is our ability to fill in the gaps and build things out. And I wonder if at this point the directive isn't don't get too deep on these side characters, leave them open for potential war detail building.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it does make sense because for one was the original fan who filled it all out, you know post eu so, so I think that that is actually a really good point and definitely like to me, I'm seeing at D twenty three, like I almost feel like it's one hundred percent that the del Ray panel's going to announce an Icarus and score on like ya Zappra Twins kind of book.
Speaker 4: There's a reason why gravitated toward Boba Fette, you know, Like again, like if you think about the amount of time he actually has in the movie, the way people glombed on, you know, in that first initial appearance, which just they were like, the jet pack is cool, and we like the helmet and we could make this work. I do think there is something to be said for you know, even if we think about like padmes like handmaidens. Yeah that's not what they're called. I apologize, I forget the term, but.
Speaker 2: No, no, no no, but I know what you mean.
Speaker 4: Like like the ladies in Waiting, if you will, like those, they become their own characters. To some people, their favorite characters were a whole books written about these women. I want to be okay with it. I just think in a mini series format without a guarantee and maybe this is again because we come from an era of TV where those two things were really separate, and I'm not one hundred percent sure they are anymore.
Speaker 1: We see a lot of mencia.
Speaker 3: Yes, I agree, like a limited series or a mini series like meant something different with the way you would tell the story. I don't think this has that. It does not have the cliffhangers, it does not have the catchiness, it does not have the bingeability. Like I've gone back and rewatched all the episodes in a row every time they've come out, and I just have not found that to be a more engaging experience. Like I understand why they didn't just drop it as a binge, but I also don't think it's delivering on a mini series situation, like just call it like a new Star Wars series, especially if there's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be other seasons. I was gonna ask you, guys, like.
Speaker 3: What could what would they have to do for you guys in the final two episodes that would take this up to like a you have to watch this actually like it's a little uneven, But they ended with something that makes me feel like it's really gonna go somewhere in the next season.
Speaker 1: Well, we do need something additive ultimately, and I feel like even though we got some new characters, we haven't felt anything additive, and there's been no connection to other parts of the larger story that have surprised thus far. Like you know, again, this is crazy and is not gonna happen. But if Loss's ex wife is Dedra, you know what I mean, that's that crazy ship.
Speaker 2: But they have to do it. They don't have the story.
Speaker 1: Juice, juice, give us just hook this to the wider story in a way that's that is, that is under that is you know, genuinely surprising, or find something that is an unanswered question, an unscratched itch, and use this series to explore it. Use those final episodes explore it, and and let's see if they do that. You know, I think that we will get more of the you know, like how Mall became a gang leader story we should write and that'll be cool and I guess, depending on how far they go with it, that could be really satisfying. But again, I really want like the death of of Scorn to like mean something like I want the I want like the I want Mall to like ruminate on this found family that he's assembled and tries to assemble around him and and build off what was the best character moment of this series for mal in those tunnels, build off that I've got it. I've got it.
Speaker 4: Here's how I need this, and it's and it won't happen because it's not the tone of the series. But I don't care. This is what I want. Okay remains on his Jedi bullshit, and that is really a thing the show is pushing. They're like, hey, Jedi has some stupid ideas. Those ideas got people hurt. Who's the person who would die? Who would be most affecting to us at this point, it's Riley. He's the youngest, he's the most innocent, He's got the most people who care about his safety. You know, Devin, I'm sorry. Daku had just apologized to Riley for not being able to protect him. What if ultimately he fails in the most ultimate way possible, Riley dies. It's Riley's dad is devastating. He goes full cop mode. He's like, I'm guns blazing, I don't care. I'm a one man army against the Empire. He's gonna lose two and then Deku is like, oh no, I messed up, but what that's just the way the universe must have wanted it that way, And Devon's like, you know what, absolutely not, I'm off this train ride. I'm actually gonna partner with mal. I can't be doing this. We have a full turn from Devon gets to step into like now he's actually got what he's wanted this whole time, which is like a willing apprentice, and we get to see the beginning struggles and joys of that, like yes, I have, but I don't know what to do in this position and we're in danger and now my heart is attached to her, But how do I lead this crew who's also angry? Like it's a whole mixed bag of things, and I would end.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're brave enough to kill a gay.
Speaker 1: I do think.
Speaker 2: I do think that you are onto something.
Speaker 3: I think Daki is gonna do something, and we're both right because his name is like Obi Daki Daku.
Speaker 2: So sorry to the guy who wrote the name. It's something like that.
Speaker 3: I'm prompt, I'm paraphrasing, but yeah, Star Wars naming conventions, but like it.
Speaker 2: Would be really interesting.
Speaker 3: I do think you're onto something where we see her master do something or fail in a way that is so objectively unforgivable for her that she changes to the dark side.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is.
Speaker 3: He can't save the train, he tells her, don't do that, and then something really awful happens, kind of that spite a reverse Spider Man moment, like yeah, who's gonna say, it's not our fight? And something terrible happens because she doesn't do it, and then that makes her think, well, maybe mores onto something. I think you're right, that's the big thing that we need to see, And yeah, I would. I would also kind of jumping off what Jason was saying, I would love to see like a bit more of a motive, like I want to know why he wants, Like yeah, he's revengeful, but it would be great if we got some deeper emotional beat of why these people and why this moment Like that would be really interesting as kind of a big emotional review or.
Speaker 4: What make a good revenge story work? Like I want you to suffer in this specific way on this specific date, so it hurts even more and you need to understand both the current relationship between these two you need to understand you you kind of need to understand like what the Emperor up against right now, like where he's at. Like the revenge has to come from two sides, so that when it finally reaches you understand the impact for everyone involved. And I yeah, either they gotta lean full gangster or full into the revenge or full into the master thing. Like it's a lot of lanes that aren't really adding up too much. I hope we get a death. I know it's maybe a little morbid, and I apologize.
Speaker 2: I just ye, he likes it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably father for So.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to see where this goes. Hopefully I wonder if Dryden Voss will actually appear.
Speaker 2: It could happen. Well, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: I this is the first time where after the end of these two I was like, well, I do actually need to know what happens.
Speaker 2: Whether it's gonna be like good or bad.
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm a place where like you've got a time to land it and it's in the next two episodes, So I think that's an exciting place to be.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm wondering.
Speaker 3: If there's any other big name surprise cameos we could get because it's so much easier for them to do in animation, So timing wise, it is going.
Speaker 2: To be interesting to if they've saved any big ones.
Speaker 1: Well. On the next episode of Extra Vision, we're diving into Daredevil two o seven and we're checking it the final season of The of the Boys, Folks, that boysing Things that boising out. That's it for this episode. Next for listening. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wax.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator.