Speaker 1: Welcome in episode three fifty five of What's Right with Nick Wright, And as always, this episode is brought to you by our friends at boost Mobile. So much to do amazing weekend. I wasn't able to say what I was doing beforehand, and I'm not able to say the results yet. But if you guys remember back in the day, the NBC Heads Up Poker Championship sixty four person March Madness style bracket that plays down six rounds to one champion twenty five thousand dollars a person entry top prize. I think back then, I don't know what it was. This time it was half a million bucks for top prize. Everyone in the Sweet sixteen I got twenty five K. Elite eight got seventy five K. Final four one hundred and fifty K second place, quarter million, first place, half a million. I was in it and got the not low draw. I had Chino Reem in the first round. If I were to win the first round, I was staring at either Eric Lingrin or Jason Kohn, and in theory, it just got harder from there. But that's what I was doing this weekend, and it will air on Peacock in October and on Poker Go uh afterwards and so once it aired, like no spoilers. It's like taping a season of Survivor, except you know, you know, either more cool or less cool, depending on what you like. Where I know the results and I can't discuss them. And again no spoilers. But if on you know, if on the next pod, I'm wearing a new watch, maybe I did. Well. What I will tell you is it was an unbelievable experience. I can't wait to really be able to talk about it. But that's what I was doing over the weekend. Here is another thing that happened over the weekend. Demon say this is this is You'll love this. You'll love this. Listeners should love this as well. I think so. I played in Uh yeah, I think it's fair. I played in a pretty famous private card game in Vegas. And I don't want to say whose it was, because all of a sudden, card games they're getting, you know, just ask Gilbert Arenas that can go sideways on you. This of course that none of those you know, unsavory elements, but whatever, it was some of the more famous card players in the world, and there were two people there I didn't know, but were, you know, big time card players and my first day there after, about twenty minutes, one of the guys came over to me and I'd love to say who these people were, but it's privacy and whatever. So am I going to and he says, I want to show you something and he opens up his podcast app and the podcast he was listening to on the way in was You and Me our last episode from third Day. And I was like, that is so cool, and.
Speaker 2: This is on what day?
Speaker 1: Though? This is this was on Saturday night. Saturday night. He was listening to Thursday Thursday. Yeah, so cool. Then like two hours later, this British guy that I've been sitting next to for hours, he has a similar he had a similar chain as me, and so we were talking about it and he had talked about where he got his and you know whatever, and I was saying, you know, hey, if you're ever in New York, like I've got a pretty good connect, you know that I at least you know, because whenever you buy like a any diamond jewelry, unless you're a diamond expert, like it's you're just risk getting totally scammed, you know what I mean? Like, are these real are they not? Am I you know? Are you saying they're vv with this? I think it's that like, who the hell knows? And he was like, he's like, man, I really might take you up on that. He like, I've had this forever and then he just drops in He's like, but I think your two chain thing looks so cool. On the pod with Demanda, I'm like, I didn't even know he knew who I was, a dude that lives in England, but he's watching, so shout out. So it made me feel great about the podcast. So that that was awesome, and I, as always, I can't thank Brent Hanks, Jeff Platt, Morey and all the guys at Poker Go and the guys at Poker Stars Garry Gates and such for getting me in the field. It was an invitational only field, so it was really really awesome and so really appreciate all those guys getting me in there. And in October we'll be able to talk about it. Like I didn't even Instagram or post that I was there because then people would be like, oh, how'd you do and I'd be like, well, I can't tell you. And so so all promote it when it's on, but it's it's great Curtis. By the way, says Nick Crazy here, it's episode three fifty five. I've been listening since episode one. We greatly, greatly appreciate that, and we the other thing we'd appreciate is if you would like great subscribe review get the alerts on YouTube, put some reviews in on iTunes and Spotify. That would be wonderful, and subscribe there as well. All right, let's get to straight. The voicemail brought to you by Boost Mobile. Game of the Year is the first game of the year. And I'm not just saying this because it's on Fox, but one versus two Texas Ohio State in August is pretty freaking sweet. The fact that August thirtieth, this month that we're in right now, you have a massive, massive college football game is sick. Darren Fox signs a Max extension. I don't know about that one. That was you have Castle, you have Harper, Now you have Fox, who is a player I've always liked a lot, but Fox it sixty some million a year. A little bit under the question, Daniel writes in the Dock, is is it because he's a trade piece? My question is is he more or less tradable on this extension or was he more tradable on an expiring I don't know. I like Fox a lot, but is Darren Fox ever going to be a top ten player? Obviously not? Is he clearly and unequivocally a top twenty player? Not clearly and unequivocally. He's like in the mix for that. So that just worries me a bit if I'm being totally honest, and Noah, Lyle's quest to just being totally unlikable continued, you know what I mean, in full force, and the of course Kenny Bednarik shoved him because he ran into his lane. Like, I just don't get Lyles.
Speaker 2: I don't think there was some stuff going on between those two before the race.
Speaker 1: I agree, No, there clearly was. But you still can't cross over into the dude's lane. He's ran one hundred meters basically as fast as a human being can run it. You're not gonna be able to throttle down immediately. Amazing weekend for track. Sixteen year old ran a minute forty two eight hundred the sixteen. A sixteen year old just ran a time in the eight hundred that would have won the college national championship last year. It is it's for the track nerds out there. They said, it's one of another poker guy. Chris Brewer, who was a collegiate track guy, said it's one of the most impressive track accomplishments ever what that guy did. And one other thing that didn't quite make the cut. And I didn't want to do a full topic on it, but President Trump says Saquon Barkley's part of the President's Athleticism Council or whatever. Saquon Barkley's like then afterwards is like I am shocked. No, I am not, And I can't believe he would say that without talking to me, to which I would say, this is why some of us kind of said, buddy, like you can say, you're just you know, you play golf with everybody and everything's fine and you don't have a take, but you know, you get in that orbit a bit and all of a sudden, maybe you get you get scammed a bit. I don't know, just just my take. I'm not that I'm not that shocked that that went down that way. And Saquon I think it's too smart to where he shouldn't be that shocked either. Now to the biggest story in the sports world, the six quarterbacks on the Cleveland Browns. Let's get to it, Demanse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the Browns who officially released their quarterback hierarchy, and it goes as follows with Flacco as number one, Picket number two, Gabriel at number three, and Shador You're gou ahe at number four. And so there's they're bringing in Snoop unty because of injuries to Gabriel and Picket. You wanted to lead with the show with this, why is that?
Speaker 1: Okay? So here is what is so interesting about where I have found myself with the Shadoor Sanders conversation before the draft, I was one of the biggest skeptics. If you remember, like I I said almost immediately that I did not think there was any real like who which quarterback is gonna go first overall debate. It was cam Ward clearly and unequivocally. I then also talked about how I thought there was a very real chance that the Pittsburgh Steelers would be able to draft Shadoor without trading up. In one of my very first mocked drafts back when Shador was mocked in going top five. I had him sliding all the way to Pittsburgh. Then when the in the twenties, when the this is all pre draft, when the rope reports came out that Pittsburgh was flatly just going with Aaron Rodgers, I said on the TV show and on this show, Sorry, I just rolled over the dexter on the TV show and on this show that I thought it was a very real possibility should Or slid out of the first round entirely. And I was discussing how I did not think that was because of personality stuff. Now maybe I was wrong about that, but I thought everyone was focused on Shador the person when I thought Shador the player just wasn't a dominant player the way some people thought he was. That was my pre draft take. My pre draft take is good, not great athlete, not a super strong arm, you know like that. I didn't know that he was a blue chipper. Those are still all my takes on Shador, by the way, But what's happened in Cleveland. He then ends up going to a team where the quarterback options are the second oldest quarterback in football, Joe Flacco, an injured first round bust, and Kenny Pickett a wee little fella in Dylan Gabriel and him. And so the point I made on last week's pod was the only guy on the roster with actual upside, even if it's very small, is sure. And since then, all Dylan Gabriel has done is have awful practice after awful practice where the beat writers covering the team or talking about how you almost feel badly for him and gotten hurt. Kenny Pickett has also gotten hurt. So here's why I want to talk about the Snoop Huntley thing. So the Browns play Friday night, it looks like demand's a picket and Gabriel are not going to be able to play, okay, so that those snaps are gone flacos one hundred. I would imagine they never planned on him playing preseason game one. So the only quarterback they've got is Shadoor. So if that's why they signed Snoop Huntley, just because they need ensure you know, you want to be able to run your offense even in the preseason game, so other guys get reps. And what if something happens to Shadoor or something like that, So be it, that's fine that there's no there's no issue with that, but Snoop Huntley should not be taking more than five practice snaps from Shoudoor, and the plan for Friday should be whatever you want to do with Flacco, you do, whether that's playing one series whatever. They Flacco's their starting quarterback and going to be their starting quarterback, and they don't want to just punt the season before the season starts. Even though their depth chart. Have you seen like the Browns offensive depth chart is something to be you just stare at it. Right now. It's Flacco at quarterback, David and Joku, who's a very nice player at tight end. Jerome Ford's their starting running back. Cedric Tillman, Jamari Thrash and Jerry Judy are their top three receivers, with Deontae Johnson being their number four, and an offensive line of Dwan Jones, Joe Potonio, Ethan Pochick, Patchick, pardon me, Wyatt Teller, and Jack Conklin as their offensive line. It's impossible. So we know they're gonna be bad, but they don't want to say off the top they're gonna be bad, so be it. So whatever you think you need to do to have Flacco ready, you do. After that should or Sanders should play the entirety of that preseason game. If Gabriel and pick it or hurt, there is no reason whatsoever on Friday for Snoop Huntley, who is right now the sixth quarterback on the Browns roster, because D'shaun's on the roster. I know he's not playing for Snoop Huntley to get a single snap. And again, this is not a knock on Snoop Puntley, who sneakily has a Pro Bowl to his name and started a playoff game for your Baltimore Ravens, you know, a couple of years ago, and I'm glad Huntley's getting another look this. I promise it's not an indictment on Snoop, But this is the opportunity to see how Shaudor books in a big sample against a live defense. And there are local Browns fans and media have gotten a little conspiratorial about you know, what the team does and doesn't like about Shadors whatever it is, And are they trying to kind of you know, slow as progress? Is it weird because the coaches didn't want them, but the owner did, you know, I don't know, you.
Speaker 2: Don't think they're getting ready to like trade them or anything. There's something.
Speaker 1: So if that's the case, then that's even more of a reason to showcase him. Right, Like, if here's one that I find interesting and that I think actually could be like a best case scenario. For best case, If I'm Shadoor, I am hoping beyond hope, I get three quarters maybe the whole game, because if Flacco's not gonna play, then Shador in theory, should play the entire game. Yeah, that I look decent, and that the Los Angeles Rams call the Browns and the Los Angeles Rams call the Browns, so I can be their third string quarterback, as odd as that sounds, because that's right. The Rams story right now is U Matt Stafford's got a bad back, and that is really concerning and their backup quarterback. While a fine backup quarterback has his own injury concerns, which is Jimmy Garoppolo. If I'm Shador and I can't like getting to Los Angeles, no, there will be no media attention like should he be the starter? Stafford's there, And for the Rams, it gives you a chance to maybe have an answer it quarterback, even if it's a long shot. And again I've never believed Store is a sure fire NFL starter, but he's got a shot have an answer a quarterback after this year if this does end up being Stafford's last year, and maybe more importantly, not more importantly, but equally important as to why you would do this trade now rather than the offseason, whatever it is if Stafford, you know, isn't ready for the start of the season, because yesterday McVeigh was talking about Stafford and he's like he's doing some light cardio, he's walking around like what like that. That's that's not great. So let's just say Stafford's not available the very beginning of the season, and let's say Jimmy Garoppolo gets clocked during Week one, then all of a sudden, you're staring at stetsn't Bennett, and so like, even if it's just a little short term gap starter and we saw McVeigh get Baker ready in one day for a start like you could have. So I do hope that. And if you're the Browns, if you'd spent a fifth on Shaudoor and just trade him for a fourth, you won. It's a great job, that's great, great process. You know what I mean so. But I say all that to say I am not a conspiracy theorist. But if we get this Browns practice report and Snoop Huntley was taken a lot of raps and on Sunday Shadoor plays a half and Snoop plays a half, that's my conspiracy theorist at Tenna will pop up as Wild does on Tea because that makes no sense for anyone involved, for anyone involved. So that's why I wanted to lead with the Browns. I'm actually fascinated by it. We also the only other we the court. We don't really have quarterback competitions this year except for the saddest one ever in Indy with Anthony Richardson or Dan and your guy, My guy Anthony Richardson and your guy Daniel Jones.
Speaker 2: Jones is winning that battle, right though.
Speaker 1: Seems like, oh, the Saints as well. You know what, I tend to forget the Saints or an NFL team this year, and I think that one is sadder. By the way. You want to know an unbelievable fact that I want to make sure is a fact before I say it, So the Saints. Yeah, it is a fact, and by a lot actually the Saints quarterback battle is Spencer Rattler, A Hayner and their second round pick Tyler Shuck. Oh yeah, Tyler Shuck, who was their second round pick this year. Demonse, you're gonna laugh at this is eight months older than Trey Lance.
Speaker 2: It's think about that.
Speaker 1: He's eight months olderly than Trey Lance, who, by the way, shout out Trey Hall of Fame game. Still though, he just needs to get you know, like he's it. Trey just turned twenty five, so like he's been in the league forever. But again he's younger than a second round pick this year, which is so weird. Also, the Saints, what are you doing? The demonse, what year did you graduate high school?
Speaker 2: Twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: So Tyler Shuck, who is the Saints' draft pick this year, he graduated in twenty eighteen. He's won and he's just like he finished college four months ago. Like that's a long.
Speaker 2: That's long as long it takes.
Speaker 1: A long college career. All right, we'll keep going. By the way, if you can't tell from the leading with the Browns and the Tyler Shuck discussion in the A Black, it is the dog days of summer, which means it's time for the boys this summer to kick it into gear, and the best way to cash in on your baseball IQ is with DraftKings Sportsbook. Stretch Drive begins. DraftKings Sportsbook has you covered with live betting, home run props, odds, boos, and more. Whether you're chasing dingers or jumping in mid game, there's always action to be had never been on baseball before. Simple pick a guy to go yard, handle some hammer, some live odds mid game, or just ride with your squad and hope for the best. No spreadsheets, just vibes and dingers, guys, I gotta you know. I've got a lunch for the staff. Bet with wilds on this Royals Red Sox series. The Red Sox won the first game, so I'm pot committed on the Royals on the money line tonight plus two hundred. Also, if you want to make some home run, that's how our Bobby wit diat a home run or Salvy did a home run, that's plus five fifty and plus six point fifty. Again, of course line's an odds subject to change, but we are riding with the Royals tonight. Something special for first time ers new DraftKings customers, Oh this has moved up. Bet five dollars, get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly. Download the DraftKings sportsbook app now and use code right. That's code right for new customers to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight eight hope and wire text hope and wy at four six seven three six nine In Connecticut. Help is available for a problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven, or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of booth Hillka Cinnamon Resorting Kansas twenty one on over agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction VOYD and Ontario. Bet must win to receive reward minimum minus five hundred odds required. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue. In four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG dot co slash audio.
Speaker 1: All right, demonse, let's get to the news that broke right as I got to Vegas, which is the Micah Parsons News.
Speaker 2: Micah Parsons officially requested or trade. He was on Friday Saturday, and he Friday unfortunately, I no longer want to be here. And Jerry follow it up with I'm not in any way revising the mentality that I have about how I go about negotiations. What do you think about the drama in Dallas and Jerry?
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's the deal. I I find the way Jerry tried to go about these negotiations, whether he meant to do it like this or not, but to be unethical, and I don't appreciate it. I think I think that it is totally fine for a manager and an employee two, you know, be having a conversation compensation or you know, a contract or something comes up and they start discussing it. I think that's fine. And I think that if you're you know, the if you're Micah, you're smart enough to know that if you weren't comfortable having any part of that conversation, that you can just say, hey, I'm not talking money here. That's what my agent's for, you know what I mean? And I think it's fine to try to work on a framework from those conversations. I think that is totally fine, and I think that it's even reasonable at times for I think it's reasonable at times that you might actually come to a real agreement. Then it might be like, yeah, yo, you'll pay me that that's what I want, that's what you want, great, Sure, no problem. I think it is outrageous for the management side to think whatever is said in that setting is binding in any way, shape or form. I don't think it's outrageous for the player to think what the manager is offering is a real offer, because that the Jerry Jones is the person negotiating for the Cowboys, Micah Parsons is not the person negotiating for Micah. And so here is the way I understand it this went. Jerry and Micah got together in March. Micah thought they were having a general meeting about team leadership. During that meeting, a potential contract came up. It seems like Jerry threw out a number or they had an idea, and Micah in the moment was like, yes, sounds good, Yeah, that would work. Micah then went to his agent and his agent said, Okay, that's fine, but I think we can do better. I think we will do better. They need to talk to me, and the Cowboys stance from that moment forward has been, we don't need to talk to you. We are not talking to you. We have an agreement in place. That's that's unethical. That is, when you know someone has a professional that they pay massive amounts of money to negotiate for them, and it is outrageous to then assume any negotiation that is done without that person's involvement is binding. And Jerry now saying, and there's another piece of this that I also really really don't like, which is I do not view rookie contracts the way I view second contracts. So let me give you an example from my team and a guy that I love, Chris Jones. So, Chris Jones had a rookie deal of let me, I want to four years, six million bucks, right. He then got franchise tagged and then they worked out a new deal four years, eighty million dollars. Okay. During the going into the final year of that deal, he wanted a new contract entirely, and the Chiefs made him an offer. They were you know what, they made him what they thought was a fair offer. He disagreed. That led to his holdout. Remember he missed Week one against the Lions. He's watching it from the box. And then they ended up giving him a little extra money to make him happy, but not a new contract, just a little slight bump in that final year. They held the line on what they thought was reasonable and they they never used these terms, but it was listen, man, like, we negotiated a four year deal. We're in year four. We are open to renegotiation. But if we need to have you play this out, we're okay with that because we agreed to this contract. That's not how the rookie contracts work. At all rookie contracts, there is no negotiation, there is no agreement, there is no back and forth. You are drafted in a certain spot, you are slotted in that spot. It is a four year contract. If you're a first round pick, the team can then add a fifth year to it. That again, you have no saying, you have no ability to negotiate to change. I don't want to pick it up. So that is why every single first round pick for Micah's draft class that has performed at a high level has gotten their next deal, because it's the first deal they actually get to negotiate and they have it is why again, whether you think it was you know, some of these deals you might think was done by the team. But Trevor Lawrence got a new deal after year three, Jamar Chase got a massive deal this summer. Jalen Waddle got a new deal after year three, Pine Sewell got a massive deal.
Speaker 2: J C.
Speaker 1: Horn, Matt top of market deal, Patrick Sir Tan top of market deal, Deavonte Smith great deal after year three. Rashaun Slater just got a top of market deal. That's everyone. So I just went over ten guys taken in the top thirteen. Here are the people. Maybe it wasn't ten, but here are the top thirteen picks from the twenty twenty one draft who did not have not gotten huge second contracts. Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Micah Parsons. It's outrageous.
Speaker 2: That puts it in a perspective right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they guy. So top thirteen picks who from that draft class who have gotten new deals? Oh, I apologize I left one guy out. Kyle Pitts has not gotten one. Sorry, but that may again. So the ones who have gotten let me do it again. Top thirteen picks. Trevor got a deal, Jamar Chase, Jalen Waddle, Penay Sewell, j C. Horn, Patzer, Tan Devonte Smith, Rashaun Slater. Those of the eight with new deals, here are the five without them. Zach Wilson, who's on been on multiple teams, Trey Lance, who's been on multiple teams, Justin Fields who's been on multiple teams. Kyle Pitts who's shown flashes but hasn't you know, achieved up to what people exc effected. And Micah freaking Parsons, who's the first player in NFL history to be top three defensive Player of the Year voting in each of his first three seasons. And for them to be holding him hostage based on we had an agreement in March is insane and Jerry, Now, do I think they're going to trade him? I do not. Do I think he ultimately will get paid? Yeah? Probably do. I think this is going to be another year where Jerry, because of the way he does business, gets the headlines, gets the discussion, and you know, and then it's much ado about nothing. Maybe, but it is not in anyone's interests for Mica to not be out there practicing they have a new head coach. They they are he's the best player on the team, and this is not a In my opinion, I don't love in general the honor of the contract stuff in the NFL because teams obviously can cut players at any time. We are so ingrained in teams cutting players that when a new contract, think about this is where the media can be unintentionally a little insidious. Hold on one second, if you're watching on YouTube, yeah, Dexter, you're blocking or boost mobile pillow. Hold on, you gotta people at boost Mobile pay good money to sponsor this show, and Dexter, you're laying up on their pillow. I'm back the the way. Think about how when a new contract is signed in the NFL, it is framed. You'll hear this, It's a five year, one hundred and ten million dollar deal with forty five million guaranteed, and the team can get out of it after three years. The day it's signed, it's looked at as okay, it's five years, but really, if if it's not a good contract, when is the team able to cut ties? How quickly into it? Because we know that's how it works. So I'm not a huge fan of asking players to honor the contract anyway, when nobody gets mad when players get cut by teams, But it is particularly outrageous to ask players to honor a rookie contract that they did not get to negotiate, that they had no saying, and especially a first If Micah was just a slightly worse college player, he would have already been paid because the Cowboys wouldn't have had a fifty year option on him and he wouldn't have been a first round pick. So I think he gets paid.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Oh, he's on the subject of fIF options? Do you think the fifth years options to be taken away if you make a Pro Bowl? Are all pro?
Speaker 1: So it's interesting. I I think that the idea behind the fifth year option, in my opinion, was, I'll give you a great example. You know who. The fifth year option is really good for Kyle Pitts because he has not achieved at the level they wanted him to. But he they spin a top five pick on him, and he has shown flashes and they don't want to, you know, just move on immediately, right, So I think that that is a fair compromise in his instance. So what I was going to say is, I think the player should be able to decline the fifth year option, but that's probably tricky because then every player would probably decline it. Should you be able to achieve out of fifth year option eligibility? Yeah, I think that because you have to declare fifth year option for a team after year three, I think an All Pro spot is a very high threshold. But I think that's probably fair if this Pro Bowls too tricky? Now, because what is and what isn't a Pro Bowler? You know what I mean? You could maybe you could say on the original Pro Bowl team, you know what I mean, like one of the not an alternate, not a replacement whatever some but certainly so this is what I would say. If a player in their first three years makes at multiple Pro Bowls or a singular All Pro team first or second team, then yeah, fifty year options out of there, like if you want. And by the way, the team still has the franchise tag, right, uh, you know the but at least and for Micah because he has been an All Pro, the price of the fifth year option is the same as the franchise tag, So you might say, what good would that do? Well? You can only franchise tag a player, ever, twice. The rule is three times, but no one's ever getting franchise taged a third time because the third one is so exorbitant, and so at least if the Cowboys right now we're threatening to franchise Micah, he would then know, okay, like, fine, you could do this once more than I can never be franchised again the rest of them my career, and I, you know, I have ultimate leverage like Dak ended up getting. But yeah, so I I don't like how the Cowboys are doing this, and I don't like that Jerry, I think knows better about what ethical negotiations are and isn't really honoring that.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, you said, oh you didn't you didn't see Michael Parsons getting traded. Uh, so you want to do it? Likely? Maybe? What if? What do you think the situation is that'll end up coming?
Speaker 1: So it's likely that he gets let me pull up T J. Watts deal. TJ. Watt got three for one twenty three with one oh eight guaranteed forty one million a year. I think it is likely that Micah gets four for one seventy with one hundred and ten guaranteed, so forty two million a year. The first three years basically fully guaranteed, and the fourth year is a you know, basically a team option. That's how I think this will play out. I think that's likely. I think maybe maybe they don't come to an agreement and he plays this year out. That's probably the least likely. And the what if is what if a team says, what if Buffalo just says, you know what salary cap? Be damned. The fact that we tried this with von Miller before didn't work out, be damned. We are not Sean mcdermot's like I lose to Patrick Mahomes in the playoffs because we allow thirty points. Again, I'm out of here anyway. You know, let's figure out how to make this. I I would not want the Chiefs to trade for Micah Parsons, and I think Micah is arguably the best defensive player in football. I just think if you have the superstar quarterback, which the Ravens, the Bills, the Chiefs have, you, well you you have to. It's not you can you have to, you just can't. Like and you know, the Chiefs already have a super expensive Chris Jones, you know what I mean? And so like they I don't think it would be a good idea for the Ravens to trade for Micah if the Bills, the Bills maybe have to change something, you know what I mean? So, would it's scary? Here's the answer on would it scare me? It would certainly bum me out for this season. But I think if we're looking at the Bills Chiefs rivalry as being over the next five years minimum, I think that is the type of trade that they would long term regret. Yeah, even if Micah wins Defensive Player of the Year twice in that timeframe, I just think you'd have to give up so much and pair away so much of the rest of the roster that you know what I mean, you wouldn't. Uh, So, scare is maybe the wrong. Here's a team that I think, you know, might want to say screw it and do it. The Raiders. Oh, like, we got no Pat, we got no secondary, but we could have Max and Micah. We're trying to win right now anyway, why not? You know what I mean? Like that is that's one I think there are a few teams that might make sense. All right, let's go to Sean Payton.
Speaker 2: So, Yeah, the media has been super high on the Broncos. You have not been so is Sean Payton. He came out and said, the short term goal is winning the division. But this is a team capable of winning the Super Bowl. I've caught six teams that I thought could win a super Bowl. This is my seventh. Yes, so should we believe in this? Is he too high? Too low?
Speaker 1: He also said bow Knicks in the next two year is going to be a top four or five quarterback in the world. He also said he's going to be a superstar. Also, by the way, check out what when you're subscribing to What's Right with Nick right on YouTube, there's another new channel you can subscribe to on YouTube. Did you see this? Demanse is uh bo Nicks's new YouTube channel.
Speaker 4: And my my take that bo Nicks might take going into the draft was bon Nicks was Mac Jones.
Speaker 1: For those of you wondering how that has how that looks so far? Well, Mac Jones in year one with the New England Patriots, made a somewhat fraudulent Pro Bowl as an alternate bon Nicks check. The team won ten games kind of surprisingly made the playoffs. Bon Nicks check. The team played the Buffalo Bills in Round one, lost by four touchdowns. Bon Nicks check and Mac Jones that offseason trademarked Mac ten and all this silly stuff because he was a future star. Go follow bon Nicks on YouTube. Here is my problem with the Broncos hype and discussion. Gosh darn it, Dex, you know what, I you know what. I actually think it's value add It draws attention exactly right here is here is what I think people are not recognizing when they are talking about the Broncos as content. Broncos have an excellent defense and that matters now. Dre Greenlaw's dealing with a quad already, and Hufanga, who I love as a player, has been injured every year since his rookie season. Those are their two big additions. The other problem is this last year, Demonse, they won ten games. Okay, the first game they won, they beat Baker Mayfield, salute, that's a real thing. Who's who they beat after that? Okay, Aaron Rodgers, who the Jets thing got rid of. They then beat Spencer Rattler, who is in a quarterback the saddest quarterback battle of the year. They then beat Bryce before Bryce got hot. They then beat Kirk Cousins right before they benched him. They then beat Gardner Minshew who I left that out earlier. They actually beat Gardner twice. They then beat whoever the hell was starting for the Browns at the time, Jamis who is currently I think a third string quarterback. They then beat Anthony Richardson and they then beat Chad Henney. That's all their wins. Now we are now saying they're contenders. Well to be contenders. Let's just start with the conference. How did you do against playoff teams in your conference? Well, you played Pittsburgh week two and lost. You played the Chargers week six and lost. You played the Ravens week nine and lost. You played the Chiefs week ten and lost. You played the Chargers week sixteen and lost. You played the Bengals, who weren't in the playoffs, but that was a playoff level game that game because they were still alive week seventeen and lost. You then played the Bills in the actual playoffs and lost thirty one to seven. Why am I supposed to believe that team all of a sudden is going to be great? Now? Folks out there, like ah Nick, you always just hate on the Broncos last year preseason gambling show our favorite win total of the year, Broncos over five and a half, even though I didn't believe in bo Nicks because that number was too low. They had a last play schedule. Russ, it was so terrible for him. I'm just calling it as I see it. And right now, is there any other team this year or any year that you can remember that had the pretty universally accepted worst quarterback in their own division that we were like, yep, that team look out for him? Like, let's just look at the other teams across the league who have the worst quarterback in the division. What we think of them? Justin Field's and the Jets, were we afraid of them? Whoever's starting for the Browns, Joe Flacco? How are they looking getting? The Colts with Daniel Jones, the Giants with Russ, the Vikings JJ, and again that's harsh on him, but he's just young. Now maybe Demondray it's Caleb Yeah, I mean again, I don't think I don't think people is even though Caleb stock is dropping, have JJ ahead of him? In the South, the Saints with whatever they're dealing with, and in the West, Seattle with Darnold or Arizona. I guess with like I, I just they just believe in them.
Speaker 2: I am again, they believe in themselves.
Speaker 1: Sean Payton has talked a lot of ship though, and yeah, and listen, this is a tricky one because Sean Payton, as great of a coach as he is, he must be a better hang because the media loves him. So many of my colleagues at Fox just from the one year of working with him, they love him. I think Peter Schrager my pal. He loves him. And we kind of give Sean Payton Nate, you know, like he walks into Denver, does the interview about what a clown show it was under Nad Hackett, and by week three the Dolphins are hanging seventy on him. Last year, after sneaking into the playoffs and then getting absolutely demolished by Buffalo, has the audacity to say, if we had won this game, we really liked our next matchup, which was going to be against the Chiefs, a Chiefs team that then beat the Buffalo team that he lost to by one hundred. And now he's like talking division isn't big enough for us. We need to be talking Super Bowl when that team has not won the division since the last year they won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I just right now, I think, is what's going on?
Speaker 1: Maybe. And here's the other thing, Demanse, I am very very prepared for a month into the year the Broncos to maybe be four and h and people and people are firing stuff back at me, like because their softest part of their schedule is the beginning in my opinion home for Tennessee at the Colts at the Chargers, which is a home game home for Cincinnati. But I'm curious how the rest of that's going to go for them. And we'll see. But I am I, uh, this is one where I've put my money where my mouth is. I'm in the process right now of negotiating a real Broncos bet with poker legend and one of the best sports betters ever, David Baker. I think I'm gonna give him Broncos to win the division at plus three twenty. And I think we're also going to what demands that you look flighted by that.
Speaker 2: He wants to bet and give you money for the Broncos winning the division.
Speaker 1: Well, I got to give him plus three twenty, so you know what I mean, if we bet one thousand bucks, he can win thirty two hundred. But yeah, he wants that bet and he but I'll also I think bet him make miss playoffs and so like, maybe I'll be wrong, but I'm I want this take understood and I want to see and you know what, maybe I'll maybe I'll make a third bet with David if we can find a fair price on this and have it be an either or and if it's neither, then it's no action. Which is the Broncos are so much more likely to finish last in the AFC West, Dan finish first. They are like I think the Chargers are a are better than them. I know the Chiefs are better than them, and I think the Raiders because of schedule, coaching, quarterback, I think the Raiders can pop. Now, the most likely outcome is the Broncos finished third. I understand that, but I see no outcome whatsoever were the Broncos finish first. And we'll see, We'll see how the future superstar bo Nicks looks come November. Maybe I'll be wrong. I doubt it, though, uh and Boss Ajs says in the chat show us the team and quarterbacks the Chiefs beat. It's not that impressive last year. If we can do that, I let's see who are the teams in the who are the quarterbacks the Chiefs beat last year? Lamar, Josh Allen, Cousins, Herbert, Carr, Purty, Minshew, Baker, Nix, Brian Minshew, Herbert. I thought I said Burrow, oh Cleveland, whoever was their quarterback? Then CJ whoever the Steelers quarterback? Oh Ross, then CJ again, then Josh Allen, So every single dog though, yeah, they didn't play their guys. They set everyone and uh and then they got crushed in the Super Bowl. They beat every So in other words, they beat every single good quarterback in football except for Jaden who they never played, Hurts who beat them, and Stafford who they never played. Good try, good effort. All right. By the way, this is a message that applies to ninety percent of you listening right now, because that's how many of you can be covered by fast and reliable service on the Boost Mobile network with nationwide coverage. And if you don't think you deserve a deal, listen up. You have another thing coming right now. When you switch to Boost Mobile, you can get iPhone fifteen with dynamic island and a forty eight megapixel main camera for one hundred and forty nine ninety nine. That's one hundred and forty nine dollars and ninety nine cents for iPhone fifteen on a nationwide network. I'm ninety nine percent positive Boost Mobile just gave all of us a really good freaking deal in store offer only thirty five dollars. Device setup fee may apply, requires credit qualification, ID verification and activation on a sixty dollars plan. Taxes extra five G speeds not available in all areas. All right, demonse, let's keep going. We're gonna go faster through these next ones.
Speaker 2: Campus camp has been slightly unfortunate for your guy, Kleb Williams. He went five of seventeen with three interceptions. It's also truck.
Speaker 1: Can I say something real quick, I'm putting a slow light asterisk on this five of seventeen. I saw one person tweet it, and then I saw articles written that cited the tweet, So I'm not certain that was the exact number. But he obviously struggled in front of the fans. Now keep going.
Speaker 2: He had to lay a game penalties, and he was throwing a ball at this net and he could not get it in the net and he got really mad.
Speaker 1: All right, do we want to play this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, so demons, okay, do you remember when we had the dartboard out on the back deck. That final throw reminded me of when I would be playing darts and barely miss my first two attempts, and then the third one I would just rear back and fire it, sometimes miss the board entirely. And so here's the serious take. The little pout reaction after is in my opinion, more concerning than the throws. Like we know Caleb Williams can make short, quick pinpoint throws like he he didn't there, but we know, like it's not like, oh man, this guy he's not When he is not deep in his own head, he is an accurate, precise passer. The problem is the getting in his own head and the problem is the body language, uh, and the emotional stability of him as a player. Now, I I think Ben Johnson is and I'm gonna talk about in this drill. I'm talking about the delay of games and that I think Ben Johnson is intentionally trying to break him down a bit to then build him back up. And trying to throw yes and trying to throw as much at him as possible. I know there was a I know there was a clip or not a clip, but a report that Ben intentionally cut out the communication between Caleb's headset to see how he reacted to that he's doing a lot, so they can then when it's time for the actual games, streamline it and things will feel easier than they actually are. I think that's smart as long as Caleb doesn't get too down on himself, and as long as Caleb can handle it well. And I do think one of the I didn't love the commentary about Caleb after he cried in college because so much of it felt kind of lowest common denominator and there was a lot of like winking in a nod to paint his nails carries immerse and now he's crying, and it just felt like, we know what you're trying to imply and like and so so I stayed out of it. I do think though, there was something to the taking a loss that hard and not being you know, able to compose yourself that was like, oh that you know, that's something you know, just like the What I didn't like was it felt that I would have felt the exact My opinion would have been the exact same if instead of crying he had gone to the gatorade table and thrown that and broken stuff or whatever. But it felt like the general reaction would have been very different because they were basically saying he's feminine, Like that's what the attacks were, and that part, like that's bullshit. But the inability to like keep.
Speaker 2: The loss and keep the composure.
Speaker 1: That part's real. That part's real, and that's like a fair concern. So I I still fully believe in Caleb. I do think that he has to He doesn't have to be excellent week one on, but he has to either be solid all year or you know, the final two months a la Jordan Love's first year with the you know Packers, where it like looks pretty shaky early, like oh man, is this guy not the guy? And then bam, you know it's like, oh shit, he just won Offensive Player of the Month, you know, something like that. If he's the guy I think he is, he has to give you a tangible reason to believe it in year two, by.
Speaker 2: The way, to be pretty good over there. I think he needs to make an effort in that department because the say on him right, it's not great. Like with the attitude thing, I think it's a it's a much bigger thing than what it needs to be right now. Outside of just.
Speaker 1: That, I agree with you. I agree with you, and I think you know from your you know, to small our experience together. Yeah, in in sports, how important I think that is. I think that when you are a team's best player and a Caleb's not, you know, maybe he's not their best player yet, but he's the starting quarterback and number one pick, like you're the de facto leader it. People take their cues from you. And this is something that I you know, I used to give demands so much shit about that that he wore his emotions on his sleeve, and I thought that opponents saw it. But more importantly, like it, people that are the leader of a team are the best player on a team, you're less. The teammates of yours that aren't as talented as you take their cues from you. So I'm not gonna, you know, play favorites here, like he's got to be better about that. And it is one of, in my opinion, something Patrick Josh and Lamar do exceptionally well, it's always first of all, your pointing thumbs not fingers. And Burrow as well, by the way, is great at this and it's we got it, you know what I mean, we got it. And one of the things that you see a little bit again, I'm not trying to pick on anybody, but I think it's accurate. Jaalen, by the way, also obviously is a great leader in this stuff. But one of the things you see a little bit from Lamar in the postseason is some of these.
Speaker 2: Illustrations it leaks out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like what like it's where it feels like he feels like, oh my god, it's happening you're at in a way that never happens in the regular season. And so like I do think that stuff really matters, and so yeah, he's got to get better about it. He's got to get better about it, no doubt about it. All Right, let's go to Luca A.
Speaker 2: Selucas signed is three year, one hundred and sixty five million extension with the Lakers over the weekend. We've all been waiting on that. So now that's finally happened. Do you think that it's time for Eleda really press the gas on trying to succeed in the now.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, I got it. I said after they didn't re sign Dorian Finney Smith that I thought there was a chance I put Lucas signing the extension. Was it ninety percent? I had it. I dropped it to like seventy five percent. So I do think this is good, important, real news. I also think that because he signed the extension, they are able to slow walk this a bit if they want to, because Luca is not going anywhere over the next three years. And by the way, the next deal he'll signed Demons will be the league's first million dollar a game deal super Max.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean, was that what he was supposed to? Was that what he was coming up on in Dallas?
Speaker 1: No, he was, No, he could have signed. No, the he would have gotten the biggest deal ever in Dallas, but it wouldn't. We wouldn't have gotten that threshold yet. But three years from now his contract will average more than eighty two million a year and there's eighty two games. It's a really remarkable thing here is though my general Lakers take that. No one, even the biggest anti lebron folks, haven't been able to explain to me where I'm wrong on this. I think it is overwhelmingly likely that over the lifetime of this extension, these next three years, Luca never has a teammate better than Lebron is right now. Now, listen, maybe they're gonna get Yannis and I'll be wrong. Maybe they're you know, they have their eyes on Joker, and I'll be wrong. But Shay ain't going anywhere, and Tatum's not going anywhere, and now we're like running out of people who are better than Lebron right now. Okay, So I would if I were the Lakers, prioritize trying to win right now, because if they think this is their last year with Lebron, I do not know that Luca is going to have a better running mate than Lebron over these next three years. Now, again, if they have real intel that if they keep the cap sheet clean in two years, Yannis plans on just coming there in free agency, then so be it. Then you know what, if they like then see, you know, it's not like they're drawing dead this season, like they've got a nice roster, then then keep it flexible. But that's a hell of a gamble to take, Like a hell of a gamble to take.
Speaker 2: Do you are you worried at all that there's like a riff potentially formed between Luca and Lebron or do you think that Luca knows that it's I don't think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think it's between Luca and Lebron at all. I Lebron was Luca's all time favorite player. Luca is the guy Lebron tried to sign to his shoe line. Luca like, I don't think there is anything between them at all. I think there is some obvious frustration for Lebron, fair or not that the Lakers are not pressing the gas even more on this season. Now you can say that's unfair, that they shouldn't whatever, but that is to me, the entirety of the frustration is that right there, all right, guys, you guys know it. We're just a couple weeks away. I am so excited to go to the US Open here in New York City. I go every single year, and I go thanks to my friends at seat geek. They are a sponsor of today's show, and they deserve a huge shout out. With over twenty eight million downloads, see geek is the number one rated ticketing app. There are more than seventy thousand events listed on seat geek, including concerts, sports, music festivals, and more. Right now you can get tickets to the NFL season which is right around the corner. Major League Baseball going on right now, which is in full swing. And as I've said, I love using seat Geek. You go to the app, type in US Open Tennis. Let's just see what I mean. Look at this the wow, it really is two weeks from, two weeks from today. Mixed doubles session, fifty bucks day session. Bang, Now this one, I mean, look at that. You just get in there, fifty all. I'm just show the phone. Sorry my bad, I was too busy looking at it. Fifty bucks for at Ash, fifty bucks at Ash. What's the first? Where's our first? Grounds? Sessions? Grounds admission? August twenty fourth, You get into Billy Jean King National Tennis Center, Grab me a ticket right there. It's just as good as it gets. You guys know how it works. Each ticket's rated on a scale of one to ten. You know you're getting a good deal. Look for the green dots. Green means good, red means bad. Every ticket is backed by their buyer guarantee and you guys can help me out a lot, because there is nothing I like more than sponsors with products that I've used well before their sponsors. Seat Geek is definitively one of them. So use my code. If you see code, write ten wriighd ten for timbercent off your next set of tickets at seat Geek. That's tim percent off any tickets with promo code write ten. Make sure you click the link in the description, download the app, have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later. Thank you to seat Geek. All right, Demanse, let's run through the very end here because I got to go.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. So Baker Mayfield came into that number fifty in the NFL. Top on your list. He answers this year as the eighth best odds for MVP in Tampa Bay also drafted Amika Agbuka and they're getting got one back from his injury. What are your expectations for Baker this year?
Speaker 1: Expectations already has another really good season. Ceiling is he is a frontline MVP candidate and they are a true contender in the NFC. Like I think that's on the board. And here's the thing. In order for them to be a contender, he has to be an MVP candidate because that defense is not going to be great. They are gonna have to outscore people. But Baker had forty touchdowns last year. He was a badass, man. Yeah, I mean he was a badass last year. I'm so and he right now has I want to make sure I'm right about this that I didn't miss it yet. He's on the best non rookie contract in the NFL. Three years, one hundred million bucks for Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 1: One more good season away from getting a two hundred and fifty million dollar deal. He's been that level of player. And I'm just happy for him, man, because this shit went so sideways on him. Yeah, and his teammates love him. He is true to himself. He's tough. He is a legit awesome playoff performer. Like this is the thing that people I think underrate with Baker. He has played I think five career playoff games. I'm gonna tell you what he did. First playoff game ever. The Cleveland Browns go into Pittsburgh hang forty eight on him. Baker throws for two sixty three touchdowns a one to fifteen rating. Second playoff game ever, his only ever bad playoff game. He's against the two time to find AFC champion. Oh I'm sorry. He's against the defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs, and he's twenty three to thirty seven for two hundred yards, one touchdown, one pick, seventy five ratings. But he's in arrowhead in round two against the twenty twenty Chiefs. Like no shame in that. He then makes the playoffs with Tampa. His first playoff game ever against Philly, and again it's so crazy, this is Philly. This game was in January of twenty twenty four. Yeah, exactly, thirty two to nine, three touchdowns, no picks, a one to twenty rating. The next game against Detroit three hundred and fifty yards, three touchdowns, two picks, a ninety five rating, they lose by eight. And in the game against Washington last year, a wild one where he only throws eighteen times, but he's fifteen of eighteen for a buck eighty five, two touch downs and a one forty seven rating. In his playoff career, he's got a one zero six rating, twelve touchdowns, three picks, like, I mean, he's just been awesome in the bat Yeah so I yeah, so I'm a Baker believer through and through. All Right, Uh, let's do these last two real quick.
Speaker 2: James Cook is holding in as he looks for his contract extension.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: After a few years a big dollar running backs paying off, it seemed like the debate was put to rest, But that conversation opens back up again. Or do you think Cook is just not that guy?
Speaker 1: Well? No, I just I think Cook's really good. But I the Bills have no cap space. He's under contract for five million bucks. They know they can franchise tag him for not much. And even if you think he's awesome, do you think he's gonna be awesome four years from now?
Speaker 2: So, like, go ask me A huge part of their offense last year, like huge the last two years, right exactly.
Speaker 1: I just think they think he's gonna blink. Bro. I don't think it's that they you know what I mean. I think that they think we'll give him a little more money, but not long term, you know what I mean, nothing long term and then or maybe a one year extension. But the report is he wants you know, I don't know if it's what he wants. I don't want to get this wrong, but I saw four years forty million bouncing around, which is only ten million a year. But I just think they think at that position his style, in two years he could be done, and they just it's just such a tough business for running backs. Man, it's just such a tough business for running backs, all right, Like rate subscribe review to the pod. Let's get to some of these listener questions quickly, if we can, please.
Speaker 2: Justin says Fox is getting paid more than Lebron. Is he ever gonna be better than year forty Lebron? How was his contract not holding back the Spurs like Lebron's contract calls back the Lakers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's the So that's one of the reasons the Lebron kind of track discussion was so absurd. Like, no, people, again, I he is Lebron is demonstrably better than Fox, and most people, I'm not one of them. Most people like the Fox contract a lot. I'm a little skeptical of it, Like that's it's just so much of Lebron discourse just so stupid.
Speaker 2: Indie ass Uh, Okay, I don't hear you about the Indie asked, Nick, can you compare the first twenty one playoff games from Patrick versus Tom Brady? I think people need to see just how great Pat has been in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Uh. I can do that another time. But Pat's seventeen and four in the postseason and the all time highest passer rating. That all of it, the numbers are just bananas. Nobody's played. No resume is going to compare well to that. There's just no question, all right.
Speaker 2: Next Matt asked, is is flat is flatley?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Okay? Is flatly your favorite word?
Speaker 1: Uh? Do I use it a lot? I must? I have some verbal like that, so maybe the a little bit. Yeah, so I didn't. I didn't know, but go ahead.
Speaker 2: Uh, Dustin says Nick. I watched all of the N one movies. I don't know what one is Mission impossible, Okay, mission possible, Mission impossible movies after your cloning recommendation, and love them. How would you rank all the all movies? Uh?
Speaker 1: That you know that is? I will do that another time. I can't do that at the very end of a show. It deserves too much, you know, it deserves Uh an impossible? Yeah, I mean they're just I mean it's just the greatest film franchise ever. Uh all right, Adam says, uh that it's his twenty sixth birthday. He got eight tickets to see the Socks play the Royals and finway with our seat eat code. How about that. Appreciate that, he said, much love from New Hampshire, Happy birthday. Also, Adam, all right, like rate, subscribe, review, Appreciate you guys. I've got Colin in about an hour and then first things first at three o'clock, see you guys there. What's right? Oh wait, wait wait, Thank you to Volume Draftings, Blue Duck, Boost, Seat Geek and of course our friends at Did I get everybody? Did I leave anybody out? I think I got everybody. Thank you to everybody. Talk to you guys later. What's right,