Speaker 1: The volume. The NBA eighty two game grind is done, and now the real fun begins.
Speaker 2: The NBA Playoffs.
Speaker 1: I hear, and it's time for all the high steaky drama, clutch moments and drag dropping plays.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: If you're looking to make the playoffs even more exciting, Draft Kings Sportsbook had you covered as an official sports betting partner of the NBA from the playing games all the way through the finals. Now it's time to back your favorite player and teams as they go chase glory. All see the long, DraftKings has been your go to spot for NBA player props and that doesn't stop.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Want to make your playoff experience even more intense, try placing a bet on your favorite players performance. Will they drop thirty, forty or even more? It's your call. Ready to place your first bet? Download the Draft Kings sports Book out now. Lock in your bets unless make this playoff run unforgettable. Here's something special for you first timers. New Draft King customers. Bet five dollars US and get two hundred dollars instantly in bonus bets. Make it a playoff run to remember with Draft Kings. Download the DraftKings sportsbook app. Use cold Money Move that's cold money moves for new customers to get two hundred dollars instantly in bonus bets when you bet just five bucks only on Draft Kings.
Speaker 2: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler, or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York, call eight seven seven eight hope and wire text hope and y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling. Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in Resorting, Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario one. No sweat bet per new customer issued as one bonus bet based on amount of initial losing bet. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue. Ince See dknng dot com slash promos for deposit wagering and eligibility restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 1: All right, listen up, taxpayers, is time for what you all really tuned in to listen to me for financial advice. Tax season, boost Mobile wants you to turn your tax refund into six months of saving. When you buy six months on their best unlimited plans, boosts will give you another six months for free. That's like six times two divide by one. Charity a really good deal. They told me I should have been a tax accountant. Well would you trust me with your money? Well that's great news because I'm not done yet. Visit boost mobile store doing tax season and editor to win up to ten thousand dollars to double your refund. Or if you're really good at math and money stuff like me, pay off what you still owe. Okay, time to take my financial vivor hat off and put on my lawyer hat requires upfront payment, tax and fees.
Speaker 2: Extra terms and exclusion apply.
Speaker 1: Visit boostmobile dot com for full offer terms and sweet sea. And now I get back to my boring old day job. Head over to your nearest boost Mobile store and make the most out of your tax refund. Hello ladies and gentlemen, and thank you for joining us for another episode of Nightcap brought to you by boost Mobile. Visit your nearest boost Mobile store or boostmobile dot Com. To join their NATIONWI five G network today. Well, we know who our two seven matchups are. The Celtics will take on the Magic and the Rockets will take.
Speaker 2: On the Warriors. Again. Please make sure you hit that subscribe button.
Speaker 1: Please make sure you hit the like button and go subscribe to the Nightcap podcast feed wherever you get your podcast from.
Speaker 2: You know me, I'm your favorite up.
Speaker 1: The guy that's down below number eighty five rock Runner, Extraordinary, Liberty City Legend, Bengal Ring of Fame, Artery the pro will be all Pro. That's Chad o Cho Senko Johnson. Uh, the guy that said the very very bottle Man. He done shout out because he's a Raider fan, y'all, and y'all know how that go. He ain't had a whole lot to cheer about, so hopefully he's in a better movie. He was just immortalized than the teacher Man's Chinese Theater. He has a star on the Hollywood Walker Fame and Inducked Tea in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and induct into the Basketball Hall of Fame. The CEO of the Big Three, one of the Laker U. He is a Laker, He a bigger Laker fan than I am. But let's before we get into all that, que Let's get into what we just saw. The Warriors beat the Grizlies one sixteen, Jimmy Butler thirty eight points, Steph Curry thirty seven points, and they held off a very valiant and game Memphis Grizzly team by the score.
Speaker 2: Six. This game was really really close.
Speaker 1: So now the Warriors advanced, they're the seventh seed and they take on the Rockets. Uh, that game probably will start Sunday. Q watching this game, what did you like about what you saw from the Warriors?
Speaker 2: Damn that man?
Speaker 4: I heard that Raiders shot. You know what I mean. I'm the president of the Raider Nation. Always remember that. Okay, all right, now, now getting to this gang. We knew what was gonna happen. It was close, but we know, you know, Steph is you know the man, and proved me once again, hitting big shots, big moments.
Speaker 2: Warriors advance. You know, we knew what was gonna happen. I thought the game would have been a lot.
Speaker 1: You know what, it had been interesting to see, q oho had John not tweaked that ankle. Yeah, he goes up for the shot, he comes down from the guy's ankle, and he he came back in the game late, but he wasn't Jahn Desmond bang was unbelievad. He kept him closed, big threes, uh, stealing the ball, doing a lot of good things. Triple j played in out standing the game. But I just thought if John had stayed, it would have been interesting to see.
Speaker 2: We never know, who knows.
Speaker 1: Maybe Steph golds crazy and he goes instead of thirty seven thirty eight, he goes for fifty.
Speaker 2: But it was a good game. It's what we expected to be.
Speaker 1: This is the first time the Warriors have actually got out of the play in. There had been er three, so not four in the play in tournament. Oh Joe, what'd you like about what you saw?
Speaker 2: Listen? I I enjoyed the game towards full US.
Speaker 5: I probably thought that the Warriors were gonna come out and be victorious in the win. Obviously, playoff playoff Jimmy as we as he's known to be called Jimmy, play it. I'm like, okay, if you're ready, right, play play in, Jimmy. Listen, he had twenty one and a half.
Speaker 2: He can't.
Speaker 5: He came up and he showed out Steph Curry did what he did end in the game with thirty seven. But I think the game might have been different, even though it was close, if we got a job that wasn't injured and didn't mess up his angle towards the end of the game and the death and Band did what he did to keep him close. But obviously Steph Curry coming in clutch towards the end of the game, and it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, this is the Warriors time of year. Know what they're capable of doing. It. It's amazing to me that they haven't gotten out of the player in Q considering all that championship game pedigree, all the time they've been in NBA Finals, they've been in Western Conference Finals, They've had toup of fault ball games, but for whatever reason, it's hard for them to get out of the playing. If I'm not mistaken, I think they lost to the Lakers, a couple of lost to the Lakers, lost to the Gris, But they haven't been what we thought they would be, especially the playing. So now they get an opportunity to advance that the number seven seed to take on the Houston Rockets, the second best record in the Western Conference. But this is a young team that's not really battle tester, Q. How do you see this matchup shaping out between the Rockets and the Warriors.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, the Warriors got that pedigree. They know what it takes. You know, Rockets scrappy. You know they defense, They all over the court, you know what I mean. They get running, they gunning, yunk and they shooting. They they kind of doing it all. But you know they're all different animal. You know, you're playing the same team over and over again. Uh, they get a chance to lock in on you. You get a chance to lock in on them. And you know in basketball, byt the third game, you know all the moves they got, They know all the moves you got and to will to win. And so the Warriors are battle test today. They got that will to win. Even though I like the the Rockets, young, scrap the team, I just think the Warriors got everything it takes with Draymon and Jimmy as hungry as ever, so I expect the Warriors to come out of that.
Speaker 1: Well, you mentioned you're the you're the god When did you say the godfather?
Speaker 2: The nation?
Speaker 1: Radiation? So what are you with the Lakers? Are you the godfather the Lakers. What are you for the Lakers?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 4: You know the Lakers. I mean, I hadn't put put a name on it, you know, Uh, it's something greater than love with you, the mayor of Lakerville. But you know, I've been a big fan man since Uh I was knee high to a horse fly. And so it's it's just really all about seeing them jail. You know, do they have enough time to jail?
Speaker 2: Uh, to to go all the way? We'll see.
Speaker 4: You know, they got a nice, a nice squad. You know, I like all I like the size of all the role players. You know, they all damn there the same size, with the same athletic ability, and so it's it's pretty cool to see them, you know, teamed up with UH, with Lebron, UH, Luca and.
Speaker 2: Aar fifteen.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, where were you when you heard the news the Lakers which treading Anthony Davis for Luca Donget And did you believe it when you heard it?
Speaker 2: Uh? I didn't believe it, you know, I was.
Speaker 4: I was at the house and.
Speaker 2: And you know it was you know, I know my son he had.
Speaker 4: A you know, a podcast he had to do and uh, he was just like freaking out on the podcast. He was reading the news at the same time, and so, you know, it's hard to believe that was true. But the Lakers always pull the rabbits out they had. You know, I'm like, I felt the same way when they got shot. You know, I felt the same way when they got Lebron. You know, it was like, man, how do the Lakers pull this off? Great front office? You know, I never count them out no matter what. You know what how you know how the team look from year to year. You know, I never count that front office at out. Even bringing a d in was was amazing. Tave up a lot to get him, but it worked out. We got a championship out of the deal. Yeah, without a doubt. Q. You're the co founder of the Big Three. Last year was your most viewed season. How do you take it to the next level? And it's being reported that Dwight Howard said, my last year playing professional basketball, I'll go play to the Big Three. There we go. You know, stop star power. You know the same thing you know that you guys got here, star power. So that's what we're.
Speaker 2: Bringing into the league.
Speaker 4: That's what people want to see, but also the style of play. You know, I think people love the Big Three because you know, there's still a place for the big man.
Speaker 2: You know, we're still in defense. You know, we let them try as talk.
Speaker 4: We let players be themselves, you know, you know, not penalized personality. You know what me and uh so, I think people, you know love that. Fans want that. That's what was missing in some ways in the other professional league. And so the to come and uh do his you know, last you know, go around the country in the Big Three. It's gonna be a fun summer. But you know, we also got other players that's great too. So you know, now when cities now, you know, we got a team in l a uh team in Dallas, a team in Houston, Chicago, uh uh, Detroit, Boston, and the d m V in Miami. So it's gonna be interesting to unlock those fan bases and and and and start to grow the Big Three from that model.
Speaker 1: What what made you decide to come up with the Big Three? You're sitting around to me, Look, you're busy. You know, you're in Hollywood. You're back to doing music, and I see, I think now you back more in the music now than you've ever been. Maybe you're taking a break from the acting thing, from writing. I know you got to gonna get this a little later. But The Friday, the last last installment of the Friday, and you probably not righting that you DJ DJ poop.
Speaker 2: But in this situation, what made you decide to come up with the Big Three?
Speaker 4: I'm a fan, and you know, after the finals, the NBA Finals, man, I would hiburgnate.
Speaker 2: Until football season started.
Speaker 4: I mean seriously, for people who love basketball and loved football, those dark days of summer just got you know, it was just brutal. And so I knew there was a lot of fans out there like me who wanted something a real season. Could we fit a season into that window between the NBA Finals and the start of the regular season in football? And so you know there was a great window. And three on three he was sitting there kind of dormant. You know, it's kind of the little cousin of five on five, And so I said, you know, why haven't it been a professionalized And it was no good reasons. I looked at what Fever was doing and I said, hey, we could do better than that.
Speaker 2: To professionalize the sport.
Speaker 4: And we came up with great wrinkles like the four point circles and bring the fire and you know, first to fifty win no game clock but the shot clock. So the games are fast, they fun and it's what basketball should be. And and so you know, we put all the great ingredients into it, and it was a great idea and we had the connections and the people to make it come true. And Hall of Famers had blessed us, George Gervin, doctor J.
Speaker 2: Clyde, Drexler, Rick Barry. Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, these guys bless the league and say it's something they want to be.
Speaker 2: A part of. And U And so I knew it.
Speaker 4: If the Hall of Famers was into it, I was onto something because they wouldn't get behind something that wasn't pure. Yeah, and so uh you know that's that's that's the the way it started.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And it really happened after I seen Kobe's last game. I was I was kind of upset that I couldn't see him play no more, and I said, man, why can't he play? And then I just like, well, maybe it's just the eighty two games. Because if you could score sixty points in a damn game, you can play.
Speaker 2: I don't give a damn you know how you are, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So uh then I said, okay, well then you know what if it was half court? What if it was you know, a ten weeks you know it was verse the fifty win and it was kind of a sprint and not you know, such a long marathon or a long grind and you.
Speaker 2: Get a week to recover.
Speaker 4: You know, I just tried to put all a good ingredients saying to make sure players were was at their best. I kind of we kind of looked at the NFL model. You know, an important game once a week, and you know, you use the week to get your body right.
Speaker 2: And you come out and you give a thousand percent que what's kept you going?
Speaker 5: You think about it, right, you've had an idea, you had ideas, you had a vision being able to execute that vision. Big Three obviously just coming off of its most viewed season. How does it feel to watch something you created grow mastively and become a cultural feeno, I mean phenomenon.
Speaker 4: It's amazing, you know, it's really uh the beauty of our minds. You know we can manifest you know, everything you see around you you know, came out the back of somebody's mind and they and they work to make it a reality. And so I think that's our purpose is to you know, to create, to always you know, manifest so to speak, our ideas and our thoughts, try to make them a reality. And then, you know, and what I do, it's all about really making it where people can enjoy it. So you bring a you know, a comedy like Friday out at the back of your mind, and then people enjoy it all over the world, and it's gonna be here, you know, after I'm gone, it's gonna still be here making people laugh, people gonna be enjoying it.
Speaker 2: Stuff.
Speaker 4: So that's what keep me going, knowing that what I'm doing today it's gonna be enjoyed tomorrow. How how do you come up with the Friday concept? I mean, I mean that Friday one that's Look, we got classic. There are certain movies that's gonna be in our household and our community that's a classic. It's hard if you say I got five, give me your five Black classics.
Speaker 2: It's hard to say life isn't in there.
Speaker 1: I would say probably Halem Nights.
Speaker 2: You know, things like that, Penalteer.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you remember Penalteer, Trey have did I love?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Come on now yeah man Leon and Isaac Kennedy Man, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: But come up with that idea. You said a lot of times you have an idea. You put paying the paper in this And did you know when you when you were writing this and when it came out and you finish, you your wrap? Because if I'm not mistaken, you finished Friday in twenty one days? Correct, we finished shooting it in twenty days? In twenty days? Did you know it was going to do this? Did you know it would be this? Thirty plus years later, people are still talking about Friday Classic.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, me and.
Speaker 4: DJ Pooh we uh, you know, we make music, but we laugh a lot, and and you know we love the classics. You know, you mentioned some of them and we wanted to have one. And we was you know, watching people like Robert Townsend who he had amazing specials in Hollywood, an amazing it shuffled that that's brilliant. We were saying, you know, what they were doing with their living color and it was like yo, you know, it was so many hard movies coming out about our neighborhood, you know, from in the hood to minutes society. And we were like, yo, you know it's hard around here, but we have we had fun too, and we laugh a lot, so you know that's kind of missing and what we're doing and what was being put out there. So we wanted to do a movie about the neighborhood and kind of turn things on their ear and laugh, you know about some of the things that was happening instead of crying about it.
Speaker 2: And and so.
Speaker 4: You know, when you grow up in the neighborhood like gardens, you got everybody got a dark sense of human you know, so he need to turn some fun you know that you know could be considered a tragedy. You know, people figure out a way to make, you know, to make light of it and laugh about it and not always cry about it. So you know that that's what we was doing. We was taking real situations that we had grew up with and and you know, we squosing into one movie and and you know, we we we set out to make a hood classic and that's what we did.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: So it was mission accomplishing, but we couldn't have got it done without people like f Garyty Gray who this was it was his first movie. You know, of course, you know funny people like Chris Tucker and Bernie Mack.
Speaker 2: And you know that's the.
Speaker 1: Thing because a lot of these people, this is the first time you put You put Chris Tucker, you put Q, you put Rinaldo Ray, you put Bernie back, you put Zel when you go to shoot this movie. And like we talked about early, we just saw Friday is moving forward to development. If you don't mind, could you give us a little insight because a lot of these a lot of the original people that were.
Speaker 2: In Friday, it's going on.
Speaker 1: And DC Curry was another comedian that's been in more it's been in your movies. You like to get, especially comedians that might not be household names. And we go back and like man Man Bernie, make with the Bernie, make with the Preacher coming over that.
Speaker 2: Miss Parker's house.
Speaker 4: You know, the thing is to me, there's a lot of funny people out there, yes, you know, and a lot of funny people came in on audition for these movies.
Speaker 2: You know, some of.
Speaker 4: Them didn't get the parts. And that's not because they wasn't funny, it was it was because they wasn't perfect for that character. These are still characters in a movie. Uh, and we all know the neighborhood and all the different types of people that we run across, and so you want to have somebody that really is the character more than just a guy who can make you laugh. And so I'm looking for something, you know, a little different than most people. That's why I'm able to pick people that you know, not so called household names, and I can see him as these characters and able to put them in a situation where they can win.
Speaker 2: And you know, so we're gonna do the same thing. You know, there's still a lot of.
Speaker 4: You know, from the movie characters that's that's here with us.
Speaker 2: You know, hopefully, you know, a lot of them want to part of the movie.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have a funny movie full of funny characters. It's gonna be some old characters, but it's always it's also gonna be some new characters, new peoples, new situations.
Speaker 2: Uh. The only thing for day there is back out of doubt.
Speaker 1: You you gotta you gotta upgrade. You might need to get that boost mobile or bundle and put it in there. Your Wi Fi tripping.
Speaker 2: Is that right, that's me. That's you. Yeah, that's you. That that was you. Man, I got I don't do that. You don't do that. Don't do that? Uh bars what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You got so throw the bars. You got your you'll hear that some craft and that. Hey boo, this boost mobile bundle. We will get the internet.
Speaker 2: Glory. Hey you got hey cute cue listen, cue cue. I heard I heard everything.
Speaker 5: I heard everything you said about about people fitting the character, not really just one. People that are funny, people that you can use, that fit the mold of the character that you're trying to envision when to come to shoot this film.
Speaker 2: So I'm putting the name in the hat. I'm putting my name in the hat early, you know.
Speaker 4: So if you get I got a long line, man, come on, joint, just jump in the line and bring the line.
Speaker 5: Well listen, if you have any if you have any type of auditions regards to how long the line is, I'm better than the whole line.
Speaker 2: I'm not worried about that. I just need the.
Speaker 4: Opportunity, all right, from work with I'm definitely have to come in and get Oh yeah, let me know.
Speaker 5: I got my sad car too, So you know I'm experienced. I know if I know, listen, hurry up and wait, I know about that all too well.
Speaker 2: So just let me know.
Speaker 1: When got you, Q You're going on the headline tour your Truth to Power four decades of Attitude. This tour celebrates your forty year legacy as a rapper, producer, filmmaker, entrepreneur, and a cultural icon.
Speaker 2: It kicks off September the fourth.
Speaker 1: What made you decide to say, you know what, it's time for QB hit the road again the tour.
Speaker 2: Now, I've always been torn, you know, I've always you know, done.
Speaker 4: Dates, but you know, to do a fully production, a full production so to speak, it is something I haven't done, you know, And after being in the game for four decades, you know it's time to really just focus on the career. You know, not only celebrate the music, but also show the influences what made me write this kind of music, you know, growing up?
Speaker 2: Coming up the events, you know, we're going to cover the eighties, the.
Speaker 4: Nineties, two thousands, and you know up until the twoenty twenties.
Speaker 2: So it's you know, it's just.
Speaker 4: You know, for an Ice Q fan, you know this is you know a way to get closer to me as an artist, to understand me as an artist, understand some of the songs that I've done throughout my career, and then jan you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I got, I got a lot of hits.
Speaker 4: Over over these forty years and all that, and you know, do some of the songs that you know. Sometimes I don't get to on some of these other shows. But now we're gonna have it in the production. It's gonna be cool.
Speaker 1: I don't know where. I don't, but I don't know which is worse the raiders of that Wi Fi. But they're both pretty awful.
Speaker 2: Man. Don't be saying it's my WiFi. Man, who you think it is?
Speaker 3: Y'all?
Speaker 2: Y'all in two different places. You ain't in the sid spot thousands of people and I don't, we got and we got. You mentioned that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this tour is gonna be about spending your career forty years. You probably are part of one of the most influential, if not the most influential groups because you ushered in something the Gangster rap era you nwa you uh dre easy the doc yellow uh. At the time when y'all put this together, did y'all realize that damn there, forty years from now that people was gonna pay give you your due and pay you homage to what you guys had done. Did you did you think about that when you guys were putting this group.
Speaker 2: Together, not at all.
Speaker 4: You know, we didn't even think about you know, so called Usher then the gangster rap era because at the time when we did our z all rappers had their own styles.
Speaker 2: It wasn't it wasn't a follow of the leading type of deal.
Speaker 4: It was either you create Shong style or you're not going to the rise to the top. Alright, So you know, we created all on style out here on the West Coast, and we had no idea that the whole rap game would start to do the kind of music we were doing, you know, yes, and there was you know, all kind of groups. How when we first started in nineteen in eighty five, eighty six, eighty seven, eighty eight eight, there was so many different fous of rat you know, from the Daisy Age to you know, you had you know, Jungle Brothers. You know, you had Bat Boys, the Mail.
Speaker 2: You had Big Dak, you had coolbo d you had l Al had One Rock, you had had so many different flavors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nowhere in the world did we think once we do this, all the flavors would turn into this flavor, you know, because that was actually considered a no no, you couldn't bite nobody's style and and.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 4: You know, it was kind of a domino effect after the music came out. But there was no way for us to say, hey, it's time for this now, because we were fans of all that other music too. We was fans of Big Daddy, Kane and e pm D and you know what I'm saying, like a dollars Yeah, you know, so we was fans of all that music.
Speaker 2: One DMC was king, you know, so.
Speaker 4: Houdini. Yeah, you know, it was like it was. It was a great time for for hip hop for sure.
Speaker 5: Hey man, you you you are a legend. Man, You're you're a legend. You're an icon. And when I think about it, and I sit back and I think about everything you've done, which about forty years, you know, between Hollywood Walker Fame, Star, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, Basketball Hall of Fame recognition, do any of these accolades hold a particular special place for you? And which like which one would mean the most of you or collectively? Do all of them kind of equal the same? Are they all equally yoked?
Speaker 4: You know we started off in music, so rock and roll Hall of Fame is big, yeah, because you know that's what all started, Yes, sir, the Walker Fame is cool if they keep it clean.
Speaker 2: You know, you gotta go up there, coming down a little bit here and there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and look, you know, having an award in the basketball Hall of Fame is something that you know, you cannot even that couldn't even be in my dreams because.
Speaker 1: I had you know, you can't. Yeah, how you getting the Hall of Paper? You know, I can suck around get a triple double. Only you wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Any of that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So you know then and now, you know, it was kind of like a pleasant surprise, But were Hall of Fame you know something every artist you know, looks to achieve as far as recognition from the industry and the music industry. Uh, a lot of mavericks, you know, a lot of a lot of people on their own page. So you know when they all come together to say, you know, you wanted all those top artists in history, you know, that that means a lot.
Speaker 1: You every year we have this, there's this the top thirty greatest disc songs and normally within the top five top ten no vasline. Yeah, we just had a guy had I don't know people saying Drake might have excuse me, Katie Dot might have had the greatest disc song considering who it went up against. When you look at what you know, Vasaly, you look at hit them Up, you look at Ether, you look at not Like Us, Sheath, the Remy mad and Nikki going at it. Where would you where would you rank no vasa leid as far as dis tracks and did you know it was gonna it was gonna land like it? I mean it was a bulls like they just land. It was a bulls eye perfect.
Speaker 4: Hey, you know you can't take nothing from not Like Us. You know, I want to Grammy said super Bowl it's huge. But when it comes to a feud, what's the most vicious feud you can get into?
Speaker 2: This?
Speaker 4: Then that you can get into is a family Yeah, so when it's a family feud, you get more vicious than that. So just because the fact that it was a family feud and we were in close proximity, Uh, and we ran in the same circles and knew the same people. No Vasoline, it's hard to beat because you know you did your thing on it. Now, yeah, you know this is somebody that's far away from you is one thing. But you know this is somebody you can run into the next day or any day is another thing.
Speaker 2: So I just I just I gotta I got you know what I'm gonna say. Man, come on, now, you know how it is.
Speaker 1: Hey, I ain't gonna fight you because, like I said, no Vacline hit them up with Tupac, going to Biggie uh nods with Ether.
Speaker 2: But you transition, you tread them. I mean to be in the music.
Speaker 1: And not only were you at the top of the rap game, you say, you know what, I'm gonna act. Not only I'm gonna act, i'mnna ride too, bro, I mean, how what was that transition? Did you always want to be in movies? Because it seemed like you came up you wanted to be you know, you want to be a rapper, That's what it was.
Speaker 2: And the next thing, you know, hey, you won't to doing it A hell of a job at that.
Speaker 4: No, I never thought about movies, Uh, I was discovered by John Singleton Rest in Peace.
Speaker 2: He Uh, he saw something in me.
Speaker 4: You know, he saw when he was writing a movie and he saw yo, from the videos, from my hand interviews, that that I could do it. And and uh he convinced me that I can do it, and uh I trusted him, and uh in the process of making the movie, you know, John Singleton would keep he would keep, uh like picture frames of all his rejection letters. So he sent Boys in the Hood the script to a lot of studios and they all rejected him for whatever reason, until Columbia picked it up. But he would keep those letters saying why the movie would never work, and he kept him in his motivation. One day, I was in his house and he was He asked me, when was I gonna write a movie? He said, uh, he said, You'll never get another movie like Boys in the Hood unless you write it. And so that just opened my to Uh. I left that day, you know me. You know, my wife, Kim, she was my girlfriend. Then we went to the max store and bought a computer, bought final Draft and started trying to figure out what was what was the script I was gonna write? And I wrote a few you know, he helped me through it. The first two scripts wasn't that tight, but the third script ride. You know, the third script was Friday, and me and DJ Pooh wrote that together.
Speaker 1: So it took you longer to write the script that it did to field the script, because you say it took you to any day in the film, the whole thing, and it probably took you six months to a year to write.
Speaker 4: It took me a while to write it, just because I was a new writer. I went to school for so I was kind of self teaching myself the format from the other scripts that I had and and I didn't, you know, know a lot about structure yet secondary dairy stories, how to, how to how to bring them to a conclusion, and kind of you know, first act, second act, third act.
Speaker 2: You know, the structure of movies. And I learned that through.
Speaker 4: You know, I got a lot of help from Pat Sharponnay, who was my manager at the time. She would have helped me, you know, proofreading structure, refining the characters, you know, just making it more movie worthy and less amateurish.
Speaker 2: And so, uh, you know, we came up with the movie.
Speaker 4: We had twenty days to shoot it, you know, so we shot and it's not twenty straight days.
Speaker 2: Like it's uh, five days a week, weekends off. So an it's old a month basically a month month. Yeah, that's that's dope.
Speaker 1: But you know, when you shoot a movie, when you shoot a movie like that in such a little time, everybody got to hit the marks. You ain't a whole lot a whole lot of retakes at a whole ain't q I mad look out a bid old seens.
Speaker 2: I've been on commercial not a movie, but commercials.
Speaker 1: And when people when you when you work around that time, because a lot of times they give you two days, they bore job around it. It's like, okay, we're go fig you back to your trailer. But when you on a time crunch, we just say, hey we got him up to shoot this.
Speaker 2: You come here.
Speaker 1: If you don't know your line, hey you get love behind it. It's really that simple, exactly. We replaced There's a lot of people. We replaced you on the spot, you know, I mean, uh, but look, we was.
Speaker 2: We were uh.
Speaker 4: Hungry, you know, like I said, f Gary Gray. It was his first movie. We had done a lot of videos together. Yeah, you know, I fought hard for him to get the movie because I thought he was ready. I thought he knew the LA culture. He grew up right there. We filmed it on his street. That's f Gary Gray Street that we filmed the movie on. He's from the neighborhood and he knew all the new and so we needed somebody. I didn't want to sit there and have to teach a director. Why do we need to six fold a drop when when pull up.
Speaker 2: And I need to have to do all that. I need somebody who already know?
Speaker 5: Hey, cue what what what's next? Every Everything you've done, everything you've touched has turned the goal. Everything has been very successful. I'm sure you've had your losses along the way, but you have more wins than als.
Speaker 2: What's next for you?
Speaker 4: You know, have a great season with the Big Three? You know, yeah, you know, put together an amazing tour after the season, and then shoot a great movie and last Friday. People have been waiting a long time. You know, we've lost some people. You know a lot of people look at me like you, well, you taking so long? Fu man make the movie? But welln't on me?
Speaker 2: You know, it was on me. We'd have been on like the seventh Friday. By now, So that's that's the way it.
Speaker 4: Goes out here in this business. A lot of people attached to the movie. Who you got to get everybody signed off for us to be able to cure. So you know, thank god, we've we've gotten everything signed off. Now it's all about you know, the actors who want to be in it, who don't.
Speaker 2: I'm talking. I'm talking about the og.
Speaker 4: From the script, actors that's been in you know, the characters that we need to bring back, and then we're gonna put together funny on these script for the lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm ready, que thanks for joining the night.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: Hey check this out.
Speaker 1: Tickets for Cubes Tour go on sale to the general public of Friday, April eighteenth at ten am local time at ice cube dot com. That's the hold on. Let me make sure I get this tour right. It's the truth to power, four decades of attitude. Those tickets go on sale April eighteenth at ten am local time, and you can purchase those tickets at ice cube dot com. Cube, I'm gonna get you out of here on this one. The Raiders have the sixth pick of the draft. Who would you like to see them take? What position you want to see them take that's gonna make sure that y'all still continue to finish the last place in the division.
Speaker 4: Running back would be nice, but you know, I'm always in the defensive side of the ball because you know, look at the quarterbacks and look at the people we against in that division.
Speaker 2: Yep, you know, put him on the back. Yeah, you know the guy, even the young kid that that Denver bol Knicks. Yeah, you know, so.
Speaker 4: You know he's not bad. You know, so we we you know, defenses needed to stop my homes and you know the stinking Chargers. Uh so we we we we need defense, man, you know, that's that's that's why I'm I'm gonna go for secondary corners, safeties.
Speaker 2: Uh, somebody try to stop stop the hounslought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Q, thanks for joining us, man, wish you continued success. Next the last and start of the Friday will be out. What can we expect the twenty.
Speaker 2: Six Yeah, man, come on, we gotta get this out by twenty six now come on now? Oh yeah, yo, the hell you have sixteen years to write it.
Speaker 6: You wrote the last fact I wrote two scripts that they messed around and okay, you know it's it's kind of cu just like broncos.
Speaker 5: Hey, Q hey, hey, now that now that I think about it, right like, I've been sitting here thinking and and polychicing with myself for a little bit. Now when we talk about those role instead of auditioning, can I actually pay you for a role?
Speaker 2: I got fifty two hundred though, he ol, Meg, you don't got that.
Speaker 1: We don't worry about any take it, man, and come on, man, hey, hey y'all, I tell you no, I got the perfect scene. Do y'all got a funeral scene because I got a body you can place in the casket.
Speaker 2: Because he don't give you my money, I'm see I ain't got nothing to do with that right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I have to off you cue. I got to do something bad to him. Hey, man, you know you've been recorded. Man, so watch you say man it will?
Speaker 2: I want you Q this man owe me fifty two hundred.
Speaker 1: He went by seven hundred thousand dollars lambo a new house and furniture and told me, hey, let me get my food my pood done in the backyard, and then I'll pay you your money.
Speaker 2: What did do that? At, Q, Chad, you didn't do that? I mean false in front of the man. When you own some money, I'm not thank you the money. Listen. I put his fifty to the side.
Speaker 1: I told him download Apple, put it beside me, don't put it the side, put it this b side.
Speaker 5: He don't want to. He don't want to download no apps. So I could transfer the money. He wants me to bring it to him cash.
Speaker 4: I don't carry cash, and miss hey, look brouh cash cash is king. Man, thank you, he wants thank you. He wants you to work. Man, you owe him money. Man, he wants to see you work for that.
Speaker 2: Count that out.
Speaker 1: He posted everything on social me. This man out there buying a new lambow for seven hundred bands.
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: That what?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Exactly said Wow. I was que I'll be scamming though, don't don't no, I'll be scamming. So yeah, bright buying chrome heart jeans. Q. I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 1: Man, they call ten fifteen band, thousand dollars four pair of jeans, ten thousand four pair of jeans, fifteen thousand four pair of jeans.
Speaker 2: Ain't gonna do.
Speaker 5: I'm too I'm too old. I'm too old for that kind of stuff. I'm figuring he'd be out here sitting on them. He's smoking the city out sitting on the ferrari. Mhmm, must be nice. Go right back fout, get me a podcast.
Speaker 1: And Q thank for Jordan's bad Appreciate it bad, continue success.
Speaker 2: Hey, y'all, get out there and check out the tour. QB's on tour.
Speaker 1: Uh with heavy production, truth to power, four decades of attitude. Ice, you broke faith for joining.
Speaker 4: Us anytime every time. Man, much love, much respect, Take it easy, appreciate it. Uh manque with that bootleg. Uh now what y'all know that was his in net.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say that, but that is oh Joe the magic or the number seven seed, and they will face the Boston Celtics they took down and the seven eight matchup they took down the Hawks. As usual, the Hawks leaned heavily on Trey Young and he was on pace to play THEMN pace to play almost the entire game. But he was ejected late in the fourth quarter and uh what to come down the number on him?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he threw he threw the ball a little hard at the ref. Now it was it had a little hey, it had a little pace on it had little on it. Hey, that ref dropped that ball, so got damn fast man.
Speaker 2: What look.
Speaker 1: But he had at the time he played forty minutes, he was eater fifty one, eleven to twelve. He had twenty eight points. Didn't get a whole lot of help from anybody else, But hey, the magic are good. Barry Carroll and Franz Wagner did not play well. It was a Cole Anthony off the bitch. They gave him twenty six. Black played well off the bitch. And when you get that kind of production, when they have forty two, forty five, forty seven, fifty one. They got fifty seven points from the bench. You get fifty seven points from your bench, you gonna win a lot of games. Yeah, you know you got back in your class seventeen, Wagner thirteen, Whendell Carter Junior had nineteen. So they got great top end scoring. But the bitch is what came in. Cole Anthony came off the bench ten or seventeen, four to nine from the three. Anthony Black was six or seven from the field, three or three from the three. And that was the difference in the ball game. But it's not all lost yet. Now, Hawks get an opportunity as the seven eight matchup. The loser gets to take on the nine ten where in her whoever wins that game, they will face the Hawks or chance to beat the number eight seed and face the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Speaker 2: That ain't pretty. That ain't that. Ain't that ain't gonna be pretty at all.
Speaker 1: No, it's gonna be a good game. I like Orlando, Orlando, Orlando better than people think. I know if you're not. Oh, Trey Young throwing the ball?
Speaker 2: And did he?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Did he? When they teed him up, he had the ball, he dribbled and spiking it, didn't he? What do you do? Hey? Boy? He's funny, man, He is funny. I don't think ejected for that. And he ain't ejecting for throwing that guy that throwing the ball too hard. He throw a little hard. He throw a little hard on you. He did. Oh Joe.
Speaker 1: There's been one constant doing the entire Luca Dodgers trade for you, is that Nico Harrison and the Masks container make some worst period decision imaginable.
Speaker 2: Nico said he has no regret in the Luca trade.
Speaker 1: When you look at this trade, we targeted Ad with our philosophy of defense wins championships. We wanted a two way player that could lead our team, and that was Anthony Davis. Everyone's gonna have the criticism and I'm not sure what Mark Cuban said, but that's a better question left for him.
Speaker 2: But we got what we wanted. My obligation is to the Dallas Mavericks.
Speaker 1: It's what's best interest of the Dallas Mavericks and that's what's the most important thing. Some of these decisions are going to be unpopular, maybe the Derrick and maybe just some fans, but my obligation is to the Dallas Mavericks.
Speaker 5: Is he trolling at this point, but talking about it, he's making He's making it worse. I'm not sure what his angle is. I'm not sure what it is for the meediment of the future from the Dallas Mavericks. You want to make the right decisions long term. Letting Luka don Shall go to the Lakers is not making the right decisions by the fans or the Dallas Mavericks on his organization. Not not saying that it's nothing wrong with ad but I mean, look, we talking about longevity and wanting to keep your job based on the decisions that you make for the betterment of the team.
Speaker 1: It would have been keeping Luca there, but that's not his But at the end of the day, that's not his call. That's ownership's call. And the Dumont family said, Okay, Mark Cuban just tweeted.
Speaker 2: What did he tweet?
Speaker 7: He called him stupid or something. I guarantee yourk is the is the Dallas Mavericks. They're notine forever. No one should ever forget that. That statue will forever, will will be here forever loud, he never fades. Tomorrow night, fifteen guys will put on a Mavericks uniform and they'll do everything they can to win for themselves, each other, and the fans. Our squad busted their you know what, fight through incredible adversity. They have my respect and support, should have everyone's. I'm a Maths fan.
Speaker 1: I'll always love and cheer for everyone who puts on our uniform Tomorrow night and however many games we have left in this season and ever in the future, whether I'm in the stands or in front of the TV, or following every play online, my heart and soul is committed to rooting for our Maths to win. That will never change. I know fans are upset, but don't be upset at the players. Support them, root for them, rally behind them. I don't know what mm what is that? Okay? Well what asked? Said MAVs Fans for Life hashtag Maths fan for Life?
Speaker 2: Man? That was that was so pc. I thought I thought he gave some you know, truth on based on the decision that was made.
Speaker 1: He called he called he's upset because Nico called that dirty. Maybe he's Dirk is upset. The fans are upset, and he's look at that like, bro, if you're a part of the you know, Dirk a just is kind of like, oh Jo, It's kind of like if you were to call out somebody from Cincinnati. Yes, so when I call out somebody from the Broncos or the Ravens, it's a little different. We played there, mm hmm. People still remember, you know, your number eighty five is up. My number eighty four is up. People remember what I did in Baltimore. So it's a little different when it comes from as somebody else crinticizing a guy that played here, right like you said, Dirk is a legend twenty twenty play twenty seasons, twenty season or twenty one twenty season, same uniform, never left, have an opportunity to land, get get bigger pay days. He said, Nah, this is my home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Nico, my recommendation twenty one, my my, yes, Oh Joe, just let it go. Fans are gonna be upset. Fans are gonna be upset, and especially because it's still so fresh. Yeah, time, let time, Let time pass, and you know you'll be okay. But don't don't mention it anymore.
Speaker 2: You're not. You can't.
Speaker 1: You're not going to make these people, these fans forget. And no matter how much you say you want to Anthony Davis. You targeted Anthony Davis, and we want to be a two way team because defense win championships. Fans ain't really trying to hear that.
Speaker 2: They ain't trying to hear that.
Speaker 1: Man, you gave a guy a way when you traded a guy that was theirs. He came here at eighteen, Dallas was all he knew. Yeah, those fans, Luca is all they knew. And now they don't have him anymore, and we know what he does on the court.
Speaker 5: I don't care nothing about all that other stuff, and you say at some point the fans will forget. They will never forget because there's the type of player that the Lakers got. They understand. Luca will always remind them Dallas, Nico Collins and the owners on what they did based on his plate in LA and they're gonna always resent that because he's going to be the superstar that they had.
Speaker 2: He gonna arge you remind him, this is what you let go.
Speaker 1: Every single year in every game that he had, like he had that game when he went back he dropped forty five, acting a fool that should have been that she should have been dropping that forty five on the Lakers for us. You saw the other night he had thirty nine against the Houston I think the Rockets, and he didn't play the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: So when you see him go out for those type performances, you're like, what are we doing? And Ad? Look, Ad is a phenomenal player. Is an All seventy five player.
Speaker 1: He's been an All NBA selection, he's been an All Star, he's been an All Star Game MVP, He's won a title.
Speaker 2: He's not fetter cheenie, but in a Louka not