Speaker 1: Hello, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome into the Fantasy Pros Baseball Podcast. I am Ryan Warmley, joined by Chris Wels.
Speaker 1: It is still in November.
Speaker 2: We are very much in football mode right now, but we are also thinking about baseball. We've had some awards announcements coming out lately. We are just a couple of weeks away, Welsh from the Winter Meetings, which I have very fond memories growing up as just one of the most fun weeks of the year and just kind of following all the twists and turns.
Speaker 1: I remember there was one year of the Orioles.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Prince Fielder when I was in college, and it was really exciting imagining, you know, all the fun transactions we could see. So we are, you know, not as far away as you might think from some real fantasy baseball discussion. We are bringing you, folks, some fantasy baseball podcasts in the offseason. Here kind of tied us over before we really dive deep in January. You've been doing a couple of these shows already well with Joe Alrico some other short form videos, and we decided to get you and me together here to talk about some dynasty risers and Follers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm also baseball. We're in football mode, but I'm always in baseball. Most people know, like the Arizona Fall League just ended, so I'm dealing with this. This is my seasonal depression because then baseball actually just ended for me. But you know, from a dynasty perspective, watching a bunch of top prospects that are going to have some dynasty impact here, and I'm excited to do this, and we're doing more baseball than we've ever done. And you know, funny you mentioned the Winter meetings. In my previous life, I had a job, a corporate job that the hotel next to it was the hotel that players basketball and baseball players would go to, and they had the winter meetings here in Arizona, and they would go at that hotel for one or two of the years. I want to say when I was at that company, and I remember, you would if you went down, you would just see guys. You would see just owners and you would see players. I remember Brian Wilson famously, the big bearded closer for the Giants. It was like a hundred I mean, I guess this wasn't Winter meetings, but it was one hundred and ten him walking around with you know, with the shirt out into jeans and doing all that. But the winter meetings, these guys all walking around felt very intimate in that that you got to, I got to almost be a part of it. But we're gonna have a bunch of moves. All of this and the transactional changes from teams to player values is pretty exciting. And you know what we say, it's only November and baseball is still a little bit of ways. It's already going. Drafts are going, NFBC is going. I'm excited to do it, and I'm very excited to talk dynasty with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love dynasty.
Speaker 2: This is the fantasy sport that I most enjoy, the dynasty keeper league type of format. You know, I do play in some of those for like college basketball even but football obviously, but baseball is really where, I mean, the prospects are just so much of a bigger part of the experience of playing fantasy baseball than you know, there's not minor leagues for football, right it's just college guys coming in, So it's a different experience doing dynasty in baseball.
Speaker 1: That's one of the reasons why this is the show. I wanted to hop on with you.
Speaker 2: I love talking through the long term value and risers and followers in.
Speaker 1: Sort of format.
Speaker 2: Let's dive right in. We're gonna do risers. We'll go five to one that we'll give you some followers five to one. These are gonna be Welsh's picks, so we'll just kind of kind of talk them out and why we feel the way we feel about them. Then at the end of the show, we're gonna give an all Dynasty riser team. I thought that would be a fun, quick little thing at the end where we give you one guy at each position who kind of builds out the team of guys that are rising down before we dive in, just to give kind of the a framework of the episode for people.
Speaker 1: Are you viewing these and these are the names you put together.
Speaker 2: Are you viewing them as guys who rose the most last year or guys who you think are poised to rise the most this year, or some kind of in the in between, just like in the middle of rising right now and then following when we get to that segment.
Speaker 3: That's a great question. So I view these as the big change year over year for people to understand we kind of did something similar in the redraft of Hey, you know, familiarize yourself. These are players last year that have really changed their rank into upcoming years drafts. These are players that they're dynasty value year over year has had a major change. And you know that can come from players that you know, it's really difficult with prospects and young guys that it's like younger players are going to rank a lot higher in Dynasty just in general. But even some of these young guys have just taken another step in their value. So again there's a bigger, longer question about these players breaking out, but no, this is going to be the biggest changers of their dynasty value to start last year if you were starting a fresh one to this year. And the same thing with the guys that are falling. Those are players that ranked probably from anywhere from a decent amount to quite a bit higher last season and then due to this most recent season age things we're going to talk about have fallen in the ranks. Whether that is you guys restarting and starting up a new Dynasty draft, which I highly suggest if you have not played Dynasty like Worm is saying you should, I think it brings life even more to fantasy baseball, if ever you've been fringy about it. But whether you're starting up or you want to understand value because in the off season you're gonna get the Hawks, the Sharks are gonna be circling around trying to get your players. Hey, you know what you should trade me? Jackson Cheerio. He was pretty good, right, but he only had a DODA. They're gonna be circling, So you want to understand the values, and that'll be That's my approach to this conversation.
Speaker 2: My best, just quickly, I don't know my best dynasty league. It's more of like a deep keeper league. You keep fourteen, you know, at cost my best one of those that I'm in, I have a one dollar Bobby Witt Junior, a one dollar Gunner Henderson, and a one dollar Jackson Cheerio. So I am feeling darn good about that league. Yeah, I think I only play one redraft league a year. Honestly, it's the work league. Like the rest I too. I mean sometimes I'll do like some of the contest stuff, but like in terms of just like an annual league with the same kind of friends, a group of people it's I so largely do dynasty now.
Speaker 1: I just I just really prefer it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's funny you say that because there's a couple there's like the you know, you maybe played a long time and you might have this monster. I've had a couple of those where it's like, you know your major guide one is like Vlad and I had a Kunya and all those build ups, and then you have those teams that you've been working on. Mutual friend friend of the show Scott White from CBS, He's got this the long term Scott White Dynasty leagues that I took over three or four years ago to twenty fourteen league. I'm going into this year finally I drafted Paul Skeins, I got Corbyn Carroll, I got Bobby Witt, I got Otani. I'm finally ready to compete and Skeens is kind of the big piece to it in a points league. So building up and finally being ready to go off of that dynasty is very rewarding. But also seeing the fruits of your labor four or five years in being like, look at those values. That's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: We are going to get to some Paul Skeens discussion later on, perhaps unsurprisingly, let's start off with a prospect though, Roman Anthony in the Miners last season two ninety one, three ninety six, four ninety eight slash line, so almost nine hundred on the ops there just a little bit under eighteen home runs, twenty one stolen bases, so kind of one of those dual threat guys. We'll start next season at twenty years old. What led him to being on this list as a prospect?
Speaker 3: For you, Welsh, So, I think that's like the big question in general about and in the evaluation of dynasty, specifically baseball, It's like, how do we fit in the prospects because, like you said, there really isn't necessarily that in other sport dynasty leagues for the most part, it's like you can just throw the rookies in, you can throw them up high, and there's usually maybe a year transitional period. That's not the case here. You know, you can have guys some people have like Sebastian Walcott who's with the Texas Rangers, super young guy, or Leo de Vreese, Leo DeVries with the Padres just turned eighteen years old. Those guys could be top fifty in some dynasty leagues, those guys might not play for a couple of years. So it's a different world. So with that, I also think the prospect rank world is not in agreement, and maybe more than it's ever been in a singular year. And what I mean is, I think you check ten different people that rank prospects, different number one probably in seven of those ten, probably a different number two. So there's this big well.
Speaker 2: You know why, it's because there's finally not an obvious oriole sitting there at number one.
Speaker 3: You're not wrong, You're not right.
Speaker 1: I'm lovisio.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the last few years, Okay, well it's clearly gutter, it's clearly Jackson Holiday.
Speaker 1: We finally don't have that.
Speaker 3: This year, we don't and you're looking for those big threats guys. So I'm building this all to get to the prospect to say that when you look at prospect rankings, I think near the top, Jason Domingez, Dylan Cruz, those guys have been there, whether they're one and two on a list or four and five, they were on dynasty rank lists already pretty high. A majority of the guys of coming off the Walker Jenkins was another one. So we come to a player that rose dramatically in prospect rankings this year and by some outlets is the number one prospect in baseball. It's Roman Anthony. So Roman Anthony we've got to talk about from a dynasty perspective, because again, whether he is number one or he's inside my top five, he's not my number one overall prospect. The guy hit triple A. The guy put up a monster, monster season. Low k rate in triple A was under twenty percent, was around eighteen percent. He ran around twenty five percent in double A. Projected Steamer numbers. Steamer numbers are already out there. So after he just went out and hit eighteen homers, still twenty one bases. Both increases. He's increased, you know, pretty much every year he's been playing. Steamer has him for a light fifty ish games. But if we were to take Steamer's projections, which are usually relatively low on prospects, the one hundred and sixty two game pace is roughly twenty fifteen eighteen fifteen, right in that general range. So I just want to give you kind of a perspective of where that's at. Now. They've got a quadrant of players that are in TRIPAA. They've got Marcelo Mayer, They've got Christian Campbell, Kyle Teal, and Roman Anthony. All of those guys are on the precipice of coming to the majors. Maybe a couple of them get moved, it won't be Roman Anthony. I think Roman Anthony is the key piece to this team. Really good patients, huge big hard hit numbers. Will have to continue to monitor, like where the contact stuff goes as we get in, but it's big hard hit numbers. This team loves him, and there's a legit chance some of the trade options that this team has talked about in the off season, our guy's like Willie or Brady to open up spots. So we circle it all back to say, prospects are going to shine and jump out to people on Dynasty lists, and the top two at least in my world, Dylan Cruise and Jason Dominguez are already in the majors. So Roman Anthony is one that is going to fly out to you. I've got him inside my top seventy five. He has a legit shot to be up this season and beat Steamer expectations of games played. Could easily hit one hundred and more or maybe we get shocked because he hit triple A and this team is open to putting him in the majors when we talk about the compensatory pick. So I say all of this to say from a rank dynasty perspective, because he moved up so much on everybody's prospect list and has vaulted into the number one spot. He's going to rank somewhere between probably thirty five and eighty five on any dynasty list out there. And he's a super young triple A outfielder who does not have everything locked in, but is a big future of the game. And that's a massive dynasty change just kind of across the landscape compared to the rest of the prospects that are out there.
Speaker 2: Something like round five, round six in a startup, is that where you'd be eyeing to take him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So there's also a big conversation about, like how do you treat dynasty. Are you a win now? Are you a middle like I'm going to kind of take pieces of everything or are you going to be I'm playing for the future. If you were playing for the future, Roman Anthony might be a third or fourth round pick in dynasty. If you're just kind of median across the board, I would say, like you kind of nailed that. Like I said, if I have him in the seventies and it's a fifteen team league, fourth, fifth, sixth round somewhere in there, it's a good future play.
Speaker 2: Let's go to some of our major league players here who have risen up. Mark Ventas the Mets twenty seven home runs in one hundred and eleven games, won't turn twenty five until next month. Eight thirty seven ops, one thirty five ops plus in twenty twenty four, just like an awesome breakout season. I did not see coming going into the twenty twenty four and now is somebody I'll be a lot more excited to drive twenty twenty five. As far as the dynasty ranking goes, where do you have him?
Speaker 3: So yeah, I completely agree with you too. By the way, everyone thought this was going to be Brett Batty. Brett Batty was going to be the one, like, hey, he's going to play a whole bunch, and Venta's had some big swing and misissues and he still does. So I have Vienta's inside my top one hundred. I've actually got Roman anthe a little bit higher. Totally could understand if someone's like, hey, that's under selling. Look at that power. He's thirty plus home run projected every single season. Not going to argue there. I think he's somewhere in that same general like seventy five to one hundred. I've got him specifically right at ninety one. Right now. What I really love he hits lefties and righty's well, at least he did this past season. A phenomenal fourteen point one percent barrel percentage and a forty six percent hard hit rate, something I'm hyper focused on, especially impactful hitters. I'm always going to look at barrel percentage and I'm going to look at hard hit numbers because if you're barreling up the ball, hitting that on that really good spot and you've got good hard hit whether you are a poll Happy or you're Paul Goldsmith type of contact hitter, good things are gonna happen. So those are two really great recipes, and it played itself out in Mark Vianto's last year. My worries though almost a thirty percent k rate that is paired with a forty percent with rate against any forty plus percent against any non fastball, So fastballs he did his work with. Everything else he struggled with, and that goes with a thirty two percent chase rate. So when teams are readjusting to him this year, you're going to probably see more breaking pitches. They're gonna want him to chase because he's got a high chase rate, and if it's not a fastball, he struggles. So that to me mitigates maybe some of the batting average. It doesn't mitigate the power because I think it's pure, great raw power, and those are the things that hold me back from saying, hey, this is a top fifty prospect, because guess what if he dramatically improves on you know, his strikeout rate and hits for a higher average, it's kind of like Pete Alonso Like, maybe it's not as dramatic as of power, but it's kind of Pete Alonzo ish. So I think there is more up there, but I think there's some volatility. Projections early Steamer projections two forty two with thirty two homers, that's phenomenal. That's an easy top one hundred. Some might even take him top fifty. But that's a huge dramatic year over year change because I think a lot of people were writing Vano's off last year because of the Wiff issues, but he just turned really quality it bats into big power and the projected number ce it carrying.
Speaker 2: Over so just quickly because he's not on our list for the followers. What does Vanto's establishing himself as like the third basement of the future for the Mets? What does that do to Brett Batty in your opinion in terms of dynasty.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it really hurt. I think it makes Brett Bady a trade target.
Speaker 1: Do you think he'll get traded?
Speaker 3: I think there's a high possibility. But here's a caveat. I'm going to throw it at you. Peter Alans a free agent. If ped Alonso doesn't resign, Mark Vanto's is the first basement of its future. Yeah, I personally kind of think that's where they want v Into's long term. And it's not to say that ped Alans is not going to resign. I think, no matter what Alonso resigns or doesn't resign, I think Brett Batty is up as a trade, you know, potential target. And let's say they go and sign one Soto, They're not gonna do much else in free agency, So what's the best course of action. Take those prospect assets, go and take the Luisan Helicunyaz, take the Brett Baties, Maybe take some of those young pitchers Brennan Sprott or Blake Tidwell, and you know, make some impactful trades to pair with a guy like Sodo if they do that. So I think either way, Batty is kind of on the way out.
Speaker 2: Welsh, there was one name when you sent me this list that I was kind of confused by. I raised my eyebrows at Junior Cameronaro, Who's the next guy on this list? And that was he was the biggest reason why I wanted to ask kind of what the framework of these players were where you're kind of looking at what we saw last year versus the future. Because Caminara was obviously a very highly touted prospect going into last season, I drafted to stash him in a couple of re draft leagues, and you know, it may or might not have panned out in those leagues. Obviously, six on runs two forty eight, two ninety nine, four twenty four slash line in just forty three games at the big league level, last year, only twenty one years old. I'm not saying we're giving up on him as a prospect anywhere anywhere.
Speaker 1: Close to that.
Speaker 2: But I was surprised to see him list it as a riser because I thought he was pretty highly tatted already comes in, didn't exactly set the world on fire, and now you have him as one of your biggest risers. So can you kind of explain that decision for us?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think this was like the toughest one. There are multiple players we could have put in this, like and not that I was trying to like theme out any of the picks, you know, like let's have this type of guy and this type of guy, but you know, you do look and you go, Okay, Jackson Churio phenomenal rookie year, let's go. But he was already ranked really high. Jackson Merrill was Actually that would be a decent one talked about on the Rejob Show. Would have been a decent one to do as well. Jackson Holiday probably could have almost been in one of those fallers, but I think he kind of maintained So here's the reason I decided to do it. So I do think that Camonaro for the most part held you know, relative to last year, like maybe he was he actually might have been as high as he is ranked right now. I think in season he really really fell off, you know, he just kept not getting called up. I think there's the injury. He came up. He was decent in his time. Why I think I decided to do this was two things. I think he's firmly established in his rank range right now without question. So I think the I have him twenty fourth in Dynasty. So that is a two round player, whether you're playing in twelve team or fifteen team. But it is affirmed. It's not like, hey, we're putting like last year, we're putting Jackson Holliday up in the top twenty five and then they fall. I think those guys have a lot of wiggle room. The second was this, of all the players that we're talking about here, specifically the risers and the major league guys, I believe that Camon Arrow's difference between his redraft and Dynasty value is the most dramatic. Give me Jackson Churio redraft in Dynasty close, Jackson Merrill close. You keep kind of going through the list. Maybe Jackson Holiday would have been a little bit different as well. But I think there's a pretty big dramatic change between the redraft of Kemenaro this year and what his dynasty value is, which could throw people off. And the key points that I really wanted to focus because I just wanted to talk about him. I said, I love barrel percentage and hard hit percentage. Bam eleven point eight percent barrel percentage with a forty five percent hard hit rate. He did in his rookie year, which you said it wasn't really great, came up late, it was okay, hit two forty two, didn't you know, knock anybody socks off. Everybody didn't get crazily excited. I love that elite bat speed seventy seven point two mile per hour bat speed league averages around seventy two. That's at the tippy top of the league. An incredibly great bat speed while he barrels and hits the ball hard projections. This is the Steamer projections on him this season. Twenty nine homers with the two sixty two batting average, five stolen bases and ninety RBIs almost thirty homers off of that initial season, that yet rookie season that you saw you take some of the underlying stuff. With a massively boosted batting average and huge hard hit and bat speed, I really think he's established himself here. I will say this, I am worried about the batting average in general, chase rate thirty five percent chase rate with a forty two percent breaking ball with rate, so he is going to get hit with probably more sliders early on people pitching probably from behind on him, not trying to challenge him with fastballs, and I am a little bit worried he could get ahead of himself. But I think in general, my main point to this is there's a pretty big difference between Redraft and his dynasty value, even though year over year dynasty values closer. I think it was really important to talk about him because I feel like we got more answers of the important rookies last year. Even in holidays struggles and Sureio and Paul schemes, We're going to talk about all those guys. I feel like we got all the answers of the important prospects we didn't, we got more. I think we have more clarity and Dylan Cruz with what we saw last year than what we actually got out with Junior Camenaro, and I just I thought felt it's important to reaffirm like his status as an elite future power bat and we just got to pay attention to what that chase rate and with the batting average goes. But twenty four in Dynasty for me.
Speaker 2: So in a startup in a vacuum, you are taking him in what rounds?
Speaker 3: Second round? Yeah, I'm taking him in the second round. Yeah. I will say, like, I tend to be more of a win now type of guy, so I'm okay with pushing like Hosi Ramirez, Mookie Bets. Those guys are the real dicey guys early on in uh in dynasties right now, because it's like the thirty one thirty two where Mooki and Ramirez and Judge would be like what top six seven picks in a redraft, those guys can get pushed to the second. So for me personally, like if Jose Ramirez fell to like the middle of the second I want to win now, I probably would wouldn't not probably, I definitively would not be able to pass him up to win now. So that's why he could fall off of my radar a tiny bit. But if I was more focused on young or I had these wheel picks JUNI Camerenero is a massive target because he's super young. I think the power is going to get there. I'm just a little bit worried about his transition of like what the batting average is going to be in him improving his chase rate. But he was an elite hitter in the minor league. You just wish he stole more. It's kind of it's kind of many Machado wish there's a little bit of Manny Machado in him.
Speaker 2: Let's get to a number two on the risers list. A guy I love was not confused to see included here. James Would nine home runs, fourteen stolen bases in seventy nine games last year, two sixty four average, seven to eighty one ops. Just recently turned twenty two. I think he is going to be a fantasy monster for a long long time.
Speaker 3: Completely agree. And he was one of those dudes last year where it was just like, you know, maybe he's eight nine in prospects, you know, floated up to the top, and then he just had this monstrous start to the season and then he gets called up and there's really everything that you wanted from him nine homer's, fourteen stolen bases and just under three hundred at bats. Love that he hit for average and his expected batting average was higher than his actual batting average two sixty four to two sixty nine batting to XBA, which you love already. He's putting up upper tier barrel numbers again. Like the theme for me is if I get that pairing of like double digit barrel percentage with really good hard hit numbers, I love it well. Ten percent barrel rate in his rookie year, fifty two percent hard hit rate, absolute monster launch angle was low like some rookies. It's actually very reminiscent of Vladimir Guerrero Junior. He did kind of the same thing barrel hard hit in his first couple of years, and he'd have like a five degree launch angle.
Speaker 2: That's exactly as an ass James would a two point four degree launch angle. He just hit the ball on the ground so much.
Speaker 3: It's it's a total it's like very uncoard common. It's not uncommon, it's a very common, like rookie trait of you know guys that are selling out to really like hit well. And that's like the thing that I loved about him in the miners, he did the same thing hits lefties. You know, he's a big lefty, lefty righty. He doesn't have like a lefty righty split, which is incredible. So this is one of those guys that I don't think is trying to sell out for power. Like I will tell you, I think Junior Camerinaro does like just ginormous, crazy fast bat speed that is just generating these big homers. James Wood was letting things come to him, and you know that's what I think. Sometimes you hit kind of across your body and it's like double's power. But that barrel and hard hit percentage when that fixes is going to look elite. Now, his K percentage has to come down, but a very encouraging number. Twenty one percent chase rate, one of the lowest in the league. I mean, it didn't qualify because he didn't play enough, but you know, twenty one percent chase rate when I just told you the chase rate in the smallest sample size for Junia Cammeraro was thirty five percent. So you know, like there are some warning signs that people will be like, well, you know you didn't hit as much power as I thought, and he had some high strikeout rate, launch angle fix, great hard hit numbers, low chase rate. That makes me feel phenomenal and where he was probably floating between I don't know, seventy eighty ninety, maybe the Roman Anthony range last year. He's twenty three and maybe pushes into the top twenty right now in Dynasty. He's another one of those guys that it's like, you can build this great young core. I think he's created some great baseline traits for himself that is going to continue to get great, and don't be surprised when you get a thirty thirty season out of James Wood in the next year or two. That's what's in play and that's why he's a top two round player.
Speaker 2: He was basically on pace for a twenty thirty season as a rookie with a two sixty four average. Just turned twenty two. I mean, I yeah, like this guy is the limit for for him?
Speaker 1: Truthfully, I don't think you can put a ceiling on him.
Speaker 2: Speaking of guys who don't have a ceiling, Number One, Paul Skean's surprising nobody, or at least it shouldn't just a beast of a rookie season, I mean an incredible rookie race in the National League. This year Paul Skeens does end up winning Rookie of the Year in that league. You always it was one of the seasons where you wish you could just give this both rookie awards to National League guys and have the al skip out a year because of how strong it was in the senior circuit. But yes, Skians hundred thirty three innings, one C nine to five, whip, one hundred and seventy strikeouts, I mean, twenty two years old, is as a rookie, you know, less than a year removed from being the number one overall pick in the draft, one of the best pictures prospects to come into baseball in a long time, and lived up to the height immediately. There was absolutely no adjustment period necessary, just a monster. So really, we don't need to sit here and give this effusive praise for Skins, because anybody listening to this show is well aware of how good Paul Skins is. So I want to ask you this and frame it as if in a dynasty startup, how many names. Obviously you're not taking any pictures ahead of him, unless you want to correct me, I can't imagine you would. But how many hitters are you taking before Paul Skeens is getting drafted?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a it's a good question, and I think the main point, just to reiterate of bringing him up is to say he's the US. He's almost the unquestioned redraft starting pitcher. I think some people are a little dicey because to pay a higher price for schemes over like Schooble doesn't make sense to some people. It's not close in dynasty. To answer your question, I have schemes at twelve, so that would be eleven hitters that are over him. Or if you want to be sneaky about it, you know sho hail Tani to a player, so you know, maybe there is a picture above. Yeah, here's the only thing that holds him back. Because based on what you saw with Paul Skeins, you could argue he's like top three or four, and like you.
Speaker 1: Could argue, I wouldn't do this.
Speaker 3: It can't argue don't do the one number one overall because I don't.
Speaker 1: Think you can do it.
Speaker 2: You I was going to say, you could make an argument I would disagree with that argument. I think you could make the argument if you think that the gap between him and other pictures for the next decade is as wide as it could be, I think you can make the case. I would not unequivocally I would not take him number one in a Dynasty startup.
Speaker 3: For a level of dominance.
Speaker 1: I would listen to an argument, and then I would reject the argument.
Speaker 3: So here is the problem with all of those is fun accolades. He's a picture, and that's ultimately the problem. Why he can't he isn't higher. You could be like, how can you have him at ten? Soon? Show has him at seven? Great? He's a pitcher in Dynasty. Like, the one thing you don't really want to do, especially if you are a young team, is build into pitching in Dynasty. I would also say, in a general sense, until you are closer or heavily competing, you just don't want to be weighted so heavy on pitching. Now, if you were to take Paul Skeen's, great, you're locked down for a really long time. He's a phenomenal pitcher. I mean tenth best War of all pitchers this past year one hundred and twenty pitchers. Oh this is the number. I didn't coherently write this, but of one hundred and twenty pitchers with one hundred or more innings pitch this past year, Skeen said the lowest RA of one hundred or more innings pitch, one hundred and twenty pitchers lowest era, and he also made great strides. That sinker turned into what they call the splinker. It's just like a hard sinker that he throws throws in between like a split finger. It had the second best whiff rate amongst starting pitchers. Only Crochet was higher, and it was almost thirty percent and had a twenty percent k rate on it, which was top ten among starters. Because the point is is like sinkers don't induce strikeouts, which is insane and Steamer projections for this year check this out. He is number one projected in strikeouts this year off of his rookie year. There's no other picture. He is the highest strikeout projected. He also had the best ERA of every single one of those two hundred plus strikeout pitchers, fifth best k per nine and second highest war projected to Jacob deGrom, which is hilarious. But the thing you need to know is Paul Skeins is the unquestioned first round type of talent starting pitcher, but ultimately he is a starting pitcher. So when you ask me that question coming back, how many hitters would I take above him, it is ten because I don't personally from a startup, want to build around a starting pitcher. I could see a scenario where I think buying pitching in dynasty is a lot tougher than people make it out to be. I think some dynasty people are like, oh, you just don't worry about it, and you just build all your hitting and then right at the end you can get your pitching now. It doesn't work like that. Every dynasty I've ever played, people are hoarding their pitching. You could draft schemes and then knowing values drop a little bit if you go and get you know, a Jose Ramirez or you get a first round talent and then you build around some more win now type of players. I think that's a better approach. That's how I would do it. I wouldn't want to be drafting Paul Skins and then James Wood and Da da da. I think the risk is too great. This is also one of the highest velocity fastball pitchers out there. You gotta he was pitched like a gajillion innings in college. We worry about that and the usage that's on him. So ultimately this is back to that, like pitching prospect wanting to be heavily invested in pitchers, which I don't, but it's just not remotely close. He's the unquestioned top starting pitcher. He was already high last year. But he's the only guy that has deserved in redraft or dynasty to be even considered in the first round with age due to absolute dominant students fricking second in the cy young It's not even remotely close. He is a unicorn of unicorns of starting pitchers, So you could do that points league. This is a little bit different conversation, but ultimately a pitching prospect is really tough for me to put inside the top ten with the volatility.
Speaker 2: The case for Skins going as high as youever you want to make it is that he's an outlier, which he may very well be. I mean, just as dominant as he was as a rookie.
Speaker 3: A unicorn argument.
Speaker 1: You just don't see this.
Speaker 2: Having said that, I mean, I think back to where was Strider going in startups a year ago, and he's like three years older than Skeins is now. But like, you couldn't have been more excited about a pitcher basically than Strider, And now.
Speaker 1: That value falls away because of the injury.
Speaker 2: So not that it's entirely gone, but obviously it looks a lot different now. So I mean, we'll put a bow on it just as a fun exercise. If I the baseball gods came down and said to you, Chris Welsh, Paul Skeins is guaranteed health for his career. Everybody's guaranteed. How injuries are a thing of the past now in baseball? Is he number one for you then or still not?
Speaker 3: I don't think he's number one, but he's like three if you guaranteed.
Speaker 1: Me with like a kunya because injuries are gone.
Speaker 3: I think Oani, even though Tana is thirty, Like I'm comfortable with Tani is the number one over on Dynasty because he starts pitching again and it's I know, it's like a dicey conversation, Wit, I have a heart. I don't think I could take Skemes over.
Speaker 2: Wit.
Speaker 3: Things start to open up a little bit between Akunya Soto Gunner Ellie, like if I got two hundred and fifty strikeouts for ten if you said ten years of health, and then it's gonna open up after ten years, maybe it is number one ten years.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna hold down your whole rotation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Paul Skins is amazing. We're not breaking any news there. I do want to break some news. We've got a special offer for everyone. Unlock a month of Betting Pros Premium for free. Download the Betting Pros app today Romo Code FP Free. Baseball might be done a couple months ago. There's still tons of football, basketball, and hockey to bet on, and soon enough that'll be baseball to bet on again. Get access to tools like the same Game Parlay tool, the prop bet Analyzer, and the Prize Picks prop bet cheat sheet. Don't miss out try it free for one month now available on iOS and Android. All right, Welsh, as you and I are wanted to do together. We went a little long on the risers, so go a little quicker on the followers. People also have less interest in the negative side of things. We had fun with the positive. We'll bring it down a bit on the negative number five Mike Trout super negative one emotionally, just because it's sadder and sadder every year to see him not be able to stay healthy. Fantastic start to twenty twenty four, low batting average, but ten home runs in twenty nine games. Injured again, of course, missing the rest of the year. Thirty three years old now and hasn't been truly healthy in what a half decade. So I assume age and injury is really the only thing going into this, you know, having him listed here as a foller.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty simplistic to that. I mean, he's thirty three years old. He clearly cannot be healthy, and that's the big thing. And I want to preface this, this is kind of a me one too. I think there are other people good for them smartly have kind of moved off of the Mike Trout you know, realm sooner. I am a little injury agnostic where I just want to give benefits of the doubt, and I want to give benefits of the doubt. And here's my biggest struggle with a player is when a player is an incredibly awesome, unique talent, every moment they're on the field and then they get hurt. Jacob de Gram is another one of those. Jagram's a little different now because he's thirty six years old, but Trout is in that range now. I have continuously given him that pass, but I think it is more than been proven these degenerative issues, he cannot stay healthy and the team gets worse around him. You also saw, as good as he was, you saw some decline's massive hard hit decline this past year forty one percent. It was a I guess of his entire career as a third lowesst that he's ever seen. He was striking out quite a bit less, which is definitely a positive, but he was worse against fastballs, which is not something you want to see. And you just wonder if there's more of the I don't know, like a patient hitter that's in there, that's not going to put up these big impactful numbers. And his age goes on, these guys are going to lose, just deteriorate a little bit. And it's like if you take away the big power from Mike Trout and he doesn't have forty home run potential and now he's a thirty home run high batting average like he's got bad players around him, so it's like, can you project eighty five? Eighty five with thirty something Homers doesn't steal a whole lot. I know he did steal a little bit more this year. He's still six, but there's not much stolen base potential, and he hits for higher batting average. Listen, that's third round, but that's a pipe dream because he can't stay healthy. He's never on the field. So all of those things combined. I held out hope last year, held out a little bit of hope and redraft I was right for a month, held out some hope and dynasty that. Oh he's still top seventy five. Look at it's outside the top one hundred. I think that's the big key. I think some people are going to smash him into the two hundreds. I think if you are a win now team.
Speaker 1: Would you trade for him? If you're a win now team, not even thinking the startup, but would you trade for for cheap?
Speaker 3: For cheap? I would be comfortable doing it if it was for cheap. But I think his name value this might be the first year the name value really tanked. Like the name value was always there and people can make arguments that might be gone. So maybe I would be a little bit more likely, but it's outside the top one hundred. But if your win, now, I think it's hard like outside of that, if he's just floating around there, like go get that outfield. He's in a DH maybe he does stay a little bit healthier. That was the Byron Buxton argument. But we know he's going to hit the el. But the big change is that I think everybody uniformed, everybody collectively got together and came off of Mike Trout. In his dynasty value, it is post one hundred in a dynasty draft, probably post one fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, next up.
Speaker 2: Luis Castillo turns thirty two next month. He made thirty starts in twenty twenty four when eleven and twelve one to seventy five and a third inning one hundred and seventy five strikeouts, so almost exactly identical there three sixty four ERA just a one oh one ERA plus so just barely above average in that metric, and a one to seventeen whip. That's his worst since twenty twenty one. Is Castillo an age related foller?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well it's twofold, it's age thirty two year old picture that doesn't feel real great, and that's paired with VLO decrease and those two things don't don't work super well. Now it's changed before. I think Verlander went through this and kind of readjusted his career and refound himself. So I don't think that that. I really don't think like a lot of these guys are these damning like they can never come back and never improve and you have to fade these guys Like No, I think it's just the value changes. I will be frank. I think there's multiple pictures I could have chosen from. I was picking between them, so a younger guy and Zach Gallon that I think his value has changed. Logan Webb has come down, Aaron Nola has come down, but specifically Castillo hitting that thirty two year old marker having you know, arguably is still a good season, but like one of the worst seasons. It's the second worst expected ERA that he has had in his entire career, three straight years of an ERA increase as well, and on top of it, the whiff numbers, So the VILO went down, but the whiff numbers decreased across the board, almost across the entire board of all of his pitch types. So you had his fastball going down about a mile per hour. I think a slider did as well, and with decreases with the age, I don't love it. And he went from a guy that, regardless of the age, was probably top thirty five, top forty last year and he is pushing outside the top eighty and frankly, pinning the type of rotation you're putting together, you might be better set with a Brandon Fott. I think Uri Perez, even coming off of his surgery at his age, is a better long term investment to me, and Luis Castillo's value is in the team that I am pushing back some of these young players and I'm trying to win.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: You can push him up, but I think there's some bad trends in the wrong direction for Castillo.
Speaker 2: Luis Robert next on the list, still only twenty seven years old. It's not an age related one here. Fourteen home runs, twenty three stone bases in one hundred games. In twenty twenty four, he hit a two twenty four, two seventy eight, three seventy nine slash line ops plus eighty seven, which was the first time in his career he was below one hundred, so below average. We went into including Robert on this list.
Speaker 3: I'm not black and white in everything that I do, So when I tell you that a guy's fallen or rose up, I don't think it's the be all end all. I think there's a gray area in all of it that guys can fix themselves and if there's a player on the decrease that can improve themselves. So least Robert age is in his favor, pretty big, productive years are in his favor. But last year it was such a stark, scary reminder of how bad it can be. And maybe you chalk it up to like you're playing on one of the worst teams of all time, you're not invested. He was injured, he was playing out here in the I saw him multiple times playing in Complex League. You know, his friends were gone, Eloy was traded. Mancata was a disaster. Like I think there's a personal element of it. Maybe he just wasn't interested because it didn't seem like it, But the stats tell that story full on thirty three percent k rate, that's the worst. Barrel percentage dropped to nine percent, which was the lowest of his career, but he had a career worst five point nine barrels per plate appearance. That's like, I think the lowest before that was like seven point one bottom six percent dole of the league in expected batting average of two ten. Even worse, his hard hit rate crash to forty point seven percent, which was the second worst of his career, and that was a two percent decrease year over year. Those trends all combined are scary and bad. Could he fix it? Sure? If he is more motivated. Projections actually tell the story that he will. They see a bounce back two forty with a twenty eight twenty eight season. Why is that, though, because projections usually will work off of modeled three year performances, and if you take the three years, there's some big performance in there. But I think what we saw out of Robert last year scares the hell out of me. So I had him massively high talent is unquestioned, top twenty five, top twenty. I think I had him last year. I'd knocked him out of the top seventy five because these things worry the ever living crap out of me. For Dynasty to have that investment, if he fixes it going to try to quickly make a turn. But I think these trends are going in a really bad direction.
Speaker 2: And you could hardly blame him if it was any kind of just mental burden of playing for that White Sox team, like anybody.
Speaker 3: And I acknowledge that, like that might be part of it, and that might be why he's maybe a bye. He maybe he's a sneaky bye if everyone is off of him.
Speaker 2: Another older pitcher, Garrett Cole, only made seventeen starts, obviously, after he missed the start of the season in twenty twenty four. It's the first time he said fewer than thirty starts in a season since twenty sixteen, not including the COVID shortened twenty twenty season. Thirty four years old, obviously, he went eight and five for the Yankees, three forty one ERA ninety nine strikeouts in ninety five innings pitched. Again, is this an injury slash age related one for a guy who's been a regular first rounder in READJAFT leagues for a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like some of these guys, I think again, there are people that are maybe different or treat some of these things different. I will give benefit of the doubt for super talented players. Age means sometimes a little bit less to me in dynasty than other people. You know, if you're like thirty two, people are putting them outside the top one hundred. I want to win now, and I want those talented players. But Garrett Cole is showing some pretty concerning signs. Five straight years of declining K percentage, which is down to twenty five percent, while his walk percentage dupped up to seventy seven point four percent. Those combine if you ever pay attention to K minus walk percentage, that's not good. That's not good. That walk percentage, by the way, was the second highest of his career. He's expected era has risen four straight years, and like we talked about with Castillo, Velo declines he had about a full mile per hour on his fastball and slider go back down at thirty four years old. I don't like those trends. He's still a talented play He's still got things done, but it's not coming at the same velocity or impact of what it was before. And as you get older, you know, either there's kind of that like do you adjust to be from a power pitcher to a kind of maybe I'll call it like a finesse type of picture, and I just don't think that's there, and it's adjusted and again year over year. Garrett Cole, regardless of age, I think, was still seen as a top two to three sp in Dynasty. He is not there right now in Dynasty. I've got him right around fifty. And that might even be being a little bit generous, because if those declines continue to grow, it's gonna get it's gonna have like a dramatic punch to what his value really is. And I wouldn't be shocked if he's like outside the top seventy five here come next season. Frankly, if if it was Luis Castillo at like eighty or Garrett Cole at fifty, think I might even want Luis Castillo. I think those guys are closer now where I just don't think they were before.
Speaker 1: Last foller here. I was a little surprised by this one.
Speaker 2: Corey Seeger thirty years old at home runs in one hundred and twenty three games, So obviously he didn't play the entire season. He had some injury stuff he was dealing with two seventy eight, three, fifty three, five, twelve, triple slash in twenty twenty four ops plus of one forty five. So he was good when he was on the field, you know, particularly the power numbers. But obviously you know, a slightly shortened season. He's on the wrong side of thirty. But it's not like he's in his late thirties, So can he explain this one a little more?
Speaker 3: Well? His body, I think feels like it's just much older from the early thirty eighth injuries. So he and I love Corey Seeger, like Corey Seeker's changed, and this is part of the rank change. I had him in the teams regardless of his age last year because you see this guy just big, hard hit numbers, high batting average over three hundred, one hundred thirty plus homers, hitting three twenty or whatever, like that's what I love. But he can't stay on the field, and we also saw declines in some of the performance. So here's my biggest worry. You're saying the wrong side of thirty, you're just gonna be thirty one on April twenty seventh. He might not be back until he's thirty one because he had sports hernia surgery and they said he will likely be back likely is a key term for the beginning of the year. If there's no setback, and Corey Seeger is the Mike Trout of future run injuries. He has had tons of injuries out there, So I am if I'm going to be concerned about Mike Trout, I got to be concerned about a guy that has had a history of injuries as well, that team offensively on the decline. You know, also batting average had a little bit of a sink right now. I think, you know, putting him at number one makes it feel super dramatic, like Cory Schieger is the biggest on No, it's just this is a guy that I think you could have legitimately taken in the second round of dynasty drafts that I don't think you should consider until the fourth round, and you are taking some inherent risk with injuries. So there's a theme to a lot of these. Outside of Robert, who I think is dramatically performance based, it's looking for age to injury concerns that might have other little like velocity things and having a major sports hernia surgery really concerns me about Corey Seeger. I need those games out there. I think you're just taking on some more inherent risk if you're taking him inside the top definitely the top three rounds.
Speaker 2: All right, well, let's go very quickly through our all Dynasty Risers team. This is a team you put together. There's a couple of them that I'll highlight where I might have gone in a different direction.
Speaker 1: So just very quick on each of these catcher.
Speaker 3: Who you got cal Raley cal I thought the catcher was actually really difficult because most of the catchers kind.
Speaker 2: Of like totally did not. I was like looking at was like, is there a better one than cal Rally? And there really wasn't.
Speaker 3: You want to know, Samuel Bissio was like one of the higher ones I had, but I'm not going to put him on there. But cal Rally changed his value by becoming a better hitter, big impactful power. Cal Rally is definitely the guy at catcher. First base, Mark Vianto's I think he belongs as one of the highest first base risers in the in the land. Second base, this one I wanted to talk about him in this. I'm glad we got to put him here. Kudel Marte, this is an over thirty guy that I put on here, So don't be like, hey, well you so you like to win now, but there's no older guys thirty one years old. But guess what, kuld tell Mary became a fixture at second base, arguably one of the top second basemen to be drafted for next season. MVP candidate. He's a core hitter, did everything, hits the ball, still hard and more consistent now. Kutel Marte definitely rose up in dynasty ranks this year.
Speaker 2: You've got Junior Camonaro a third We already talked about him. How about shortstop.
Speaker 3: Zach Netto would have been a player I would have loved to have talked about. The only caveat that's holding me back. He had an injury and he might miss a little bit of this the beginning of the season. But Neto was one of those dudes. Power stolen based combo twenty thirty could be a twenty forty guy in the near future. Became a huge impact bat at the top of the Angels lineup. And I had this dynasty debate at the end of the year. A guy was trying to trade me Robert and he wanted Netto, and I was like, dude, I got Netto over Robert in Dynasty now, so zach Netto is around a top fifty to sixty fantasy player even regardless of the injury.
Speaker 2: This is the position that I wanted to bring up somebody else, And maybe the guy I'm about to bring up is a year away from being on this list because he's a very young minor leaguer and you actually already mentioned him earlier, and I was glad you did. I'm not even sure if I pronounce it right, Leotlise Devri. Is that the correct way to pronounce the Leo divrees.
Speaker 3: Leo Delis, Leo Dallas, Leodahas.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's one of those names are you only ever really read instead of here said out loud?
Speaker 1: But Leo devrees.
Speaker 2: So I think he's going to be a top five prospect in baseball at some point in his minor league career.
Speaker 1: I'm over the moon about him as a prospect in Dynasty.
Speaker 2: Obviously a couple of years away, but I felt like he really broke out in a way where he went from Oh, that's an interesting flyer to have in some deep Dynasty teams too. This is a priority prospect for me, in any sort of prospect slot that I can afford to sit on it for a couple of years, so I really wanted to bring him up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I completely agree. It just saw he just played in the Arizona Fall League. One of the youngest. He was the third youngest to ever hit a homer in the Fall League, behind only Ethan Sallace and Bryce Harper. He's a phenomenal bat. I really like switch hitter like he's got a smooth, smooth bat, better than Ethan Solace's. I agree with everything he's saying. He's already a he' said the sixth prospect on my prospect list, So he's already like their dynasty. He is just two years away. I work in three year windows, but he is a guy that's valued right around that like one hundred to one twenty five range. So I do agree he will be a guy we're probably talking about next year.
Speaker 2: By the way, I forgot to mention I was gonna mention, and you have Cameron Aar obviously at third. I think you can make a case of third in my opinion. For Jordan Westburg, we haven't talked about enough Orioles on this show. Sure I did not have him that highly ranked diacet. I thought he was gonna be He's a really solid player. I love having him on my team as an Orioles fan. I was more impressed than I expected to be with his consistency month a month in terms of better power than I expected from him. Obviously, he only had eighteen home runs because he missed some time with a broken wrist. I think it was when he got hit on the hand or something on a pitch, so that those numbers look a little diminished. But I was really impressed with Westburg, and my estimation of him in Fantasy grew a lot last year, so I did mean to mention him.
Speaker 3: I would have if we if the All Rise team was to not include any of the players we talked about, which maybe we should, Westburg would have been the third base.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was really impressed in this year.
Speaker 2: Matt outfield, James Wood and Roman Anthony are two of the names. Again, we've already talked about them. Who's the third outfielder you have?
Speaker 3: Well, I kind of prefaced it when we were talking earlier. Jackson Merril, Like Jackson Merril does deserve the huge bump year over year, And you know, I literally probably didn't mention him because we did it in another show. But from a Dynasty perspective, Jackson Merrill one of the biggest risers in value year over year. He's a twenty twenty guy. His power projection and steamer is actually higher than what he did. So people are banking on that great outfielder that's going to continue to stay out. They're really good average, and he is, you know, arguably probably top thirty five. He's a second to third round Dynasty if maybe not second round player. Maybe his offensive impact is less than like James Wood in Cheerio, but it's right there. So he's going to join Wood in Anthony for our all outfield riser Dynasty team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a great call too. Paul skeens obviously at starting pitcher and then wrap us up with relief.
Speaker 3: Pitcher Mason Miller. Maybe it's a little bit, but you know, closers are really difficult for people in Dynasty to figure out how to value them and what to do a lot. I mean, Hater was a huge failure last year. The only one that really paid off for the high cost anyone would have done in Dynasty is a manual class guy almost you know, he was in the Cy Young contention, so that I think is the tippy top. But Mason Miller is if you were going to invest, my little strategy probably don't draft a closer in any capacity inside the top one hundred, whether you're competing or you know, you're kind of just trying to build out your dynasty team. Don't do it in the top one hundred. If you were to invest, the two to invest are Emmanuel Classe and Mason Miller. Mason Miller didn't come into last year as a closer. He's still on the a's with puts in question, but it's massive strikeout numbers. Guy's going to strike out like one hundred every year. He's going to save whatever viable games are out there, And in a dynasty perspective, he might be the best bet of any closer. Frankly, even over class A who's got a little bit of age on him, he might be the best bet of investment. So the all rank risers, and probably the only closer that would be worth making a real investment on is Mason Miller.
Speaker 2: We'll wrap up there. Well, fun talk of baseball with you. We talked football every week on Tuesdays with ericson but you know that you and I both have first loves our baseball, so.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what you and I are kind of at the forefront of making sure and hopefully people see this like we want more and more baseball here at Fantasy Pro Any.
Speaker 1: Mayor Or if we've ever credit for pushing for it.
Speaker 3: Too, don't compliment Mayor.
Speaker 1: He's my co host on the cycle.
Speaker 3: I got a course, he's a monster. But just letting you guys know, the passion is here, whether it's Dynasty or Redraft, and we got more for you than ever before. So make sure you are checking out the YouTube channel, which probably already are right now. But if you're listening on the podcast YouTube dot com sash Fantasy Pros MLB, more video content, more shorts than we've ever done in the history of Fantasy Pros, and we're gonna keep doing it.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be an awesome twenty twenty five and it's already starting now. Also, I forgot to mention this, and you reminded me before the show, so I apologize. Your dynasty rankings are dropping December first, so for your Welsh specific dynasty rankings, be sure everybody listening check out the site to hear what he has to say and see where he's got these guys actually ranked for your own startups and or off season trades.
Speaker 3: Do it, baby, check it out. I'll put an article out and it'll be on the consensus ranks, and we'll get all those bad boys cleaned up all the baseballs. We're gonna click more baseballs around us. Glad to talk some dynasty with you.
Speaker 1: We'll get there on that.
Speaker 2: Thanks everybody for tuning in. He's Chris Welschein and Ryan Warmly. We'll see again next time. Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Fantasy Baseball podcast.
Speaker 1: If you love the show, the best freeway to support
Speaker 2: Us is by leaving a positive review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify, follow us on x, Instagram, and TikTok at Fantasy Pros, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Fantasy Pros MLB