Speaker 1: We all want to stay in the know, especially when it comes to our money. With the US Bank Smartly Suite, you take control and make confident money moves while staying connected to your finances. The US Bank Smartly Sweet lets you bundle your checking, savings and credit card in one place, working together to give you more. As part of the US Bank Smartley Suite, you'll unlock tailored rates and rewards just by bundling your accounts. Switch today and get financial tools built to grow with you. When our Bank Smartly solutions meet your financial goals, we are stronger together. That's the power of US Member FDIC.
Speaker 2: What kind of a show you guys putting on here today?
Speaker 3: You're not interested in art?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: No, Look, we're going to do this thing. We're going to have a conversation from Chicago. This is Film Spotting celebrating our twentieth year. I'm Josh Larson and I'm Adam Kempinar. Could you answer the next series of questions about blinking your eyes? It was out fear and hesitation. Answers quickly as you can sure. This week, our Best of the Centre Conversation continues with our favorite actors and actresses of the last twenty five years, and.
Speaker 2: We're going to do it master style, Josh, no fear, no hesitation, and no blinking. Also, it's a draft plus.
Speaker 3: Our Andre Tarkowski Marathon continues with nineteen seventy nine Stalker. It's all ahead starting now. If you blink, we go back to the start on Film Spotting.
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by Peloton break through the busiest time of year with the brand new Peloton Cross Training tread Plus powered by Peloton Iq. With real time guidance and endless ways to move, you can personalize your workouts and train with confidence, helping you reach your goals in less time. Let yourself run, lift, sculpt, push and go. Explore the new Peloton Cross Training tread Plus at one peloton dot com.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Film Spotting narrowing down the films of the century to twenty five, which we did last week. Josh was a chore picking five only five of our favorite actors and actresses of the century. This is only going to end in failure and disappointment.
Speaker 3: Right, failure is a strong word disappointment. I have a theory that there's a path where we can both come away pretty happy. Okay, there may be there may be two names we're going to be tussling over, but I don't know. I think we could come away not too disappointed. We'll have to see.
Speaker 2: We will see. I'm guessing we won't tussle too much over nineteen seventy nine Stalker the Fourth film and our Andre Tarkowski Marathon. We start with our draft. We're going to make this more concise and call it the Actors of the Century Draft. Josh actors, actresses all eligible. Producer Sam hates it when I say Performers of the Century.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Definitely. The only real rule here is we only get to choose one Chris each.
Speaker 3: Was the Chris is our first draft ever? Or was that just a ranking?
Speaker 2: It was just a ranking? Yeah, not a draft? Okay, that would have been a pretty short draft, right.
Speaker 3: A two person draft.
Speaker 2: How this is going to work, and really why we're even doing it? Is a draft? Is pretty simple? Are we trying to sports of all?
Speaker 3: This thing?
Speaker 2: Not really one? It ensures ten unique choices, no overlap, that's the main thing. And then it's film spotting the stakes. When I don't know if I'm going to get my next pick, it really does change everything. That's why we're doing it that way. Now, did you have any criteria as you set about to prepare for this draft?
Speaker 3: Josh, I did use, as has been mentioned, our best of the twenty tens list as a starting point, But the more I got into it, it wasn't entirely helpful because a lot of the actors on that list. I wouldn't say it was recency bias, but just working with only those ten years we did that in twenty twenty, you know, it did obviously weigh heavily on people who we were excited about then and are excited about moving forward, or were in twenty twenty. So here I had to think about an entire body of work, not looking ahead so much. Okay, it's this particular period, and I thought about this, thinking of speaking of sports bawling. In the NBA, you have the MVP Most Valuable Player Award, and that is a regular season award. It's announced will be announced I think within this week during the playoffs. But really the idea is to look at what the players have done during that season, not their playoff potential or even how they've performed in the first week or so of the playoffs. So I had to think about it similarly, is that body of work from two thousand to twenty twenty five, and then this length of time twenty five years I found for me absolutely benefited the vets, you know, those who had been doing it pretty much right from two thousand and sustained it up through the last couple of years. That narrowed things down pretty quickly for me for the actors and actresses who I needed to have on my team in this draft.
Speaker 2: So I also look back at my list of the top ten actors of the Decade from twenty twenty. Of course, I also had the actors of the decade or whatever we called it from the two thousands, the first part of this twenty first century. We did that in twenty ten on film Spotting, just before you joined the show back in twenty twenty. My criteria was these actors and actresses had to have at least three great performances. I approached it this time as a mount rushmore. I needed to envision four characters' faces that would define the period, this entire twenty five year period for that performer, and then I had to consider to extent that quartette of faces might define the period itself. I get to have the first choice. We didn't do anything convoluted here. We didn't have any ping pong balls or bring in Ernst and Young or Price Waterhouse. We just alternated. The last time we had a draft, I think it was our twenty twenty five movie preview, and You've got to go first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, so.
Speaker 2: Now so I get to go.
Speaker 3: I think it's fair. I think it's fair. I do think for our next draft we got to shake it up, though. I do like the suspense of seeing who's gonna get especially again seeing what happened in the NBA, the chaos that was unleashed. We always want more chaos on this show, Adam, so moving forward, we'll have to go back to that. But yeah, for tonight, first pick goes to you. It's only fair. I think I know where you're gonna go. But again, here's where the strategy comes into play, because I honestly think there are only two or maybe three names we both would love to have on our team, and are you going to try to snatch one of those or are you just gonna claim who you absolutely have to have? Not taken any.
Speaker 2: Risks here, I ended up going the latter route because I really couldn't figure you out, Josh, I didn't have enough intel to go on. As you noted, yes, that list back in twenty twenty is somewhat helpful, but once you add in not only the past four years, you add in the first part of this quarter century, it really does change the game. And I guess I didn't feel like I had a really strong sense of who your top one, two three performers of the past twenty five years were, and so I stopped overthinking it and decided to go with my heart. I'm picking who is genuinely my number one choice, even though I feel like he wouldn't have been your number one choice, and from a strategic standpoint, I'm probably misplaying it. You mention that you look back and you didn't really consider at all moving forward whether or not these performers would be in our lives, what kind of performances they might give us in the future. Sadly, that's very much the case with my number one choice. I am going with Philip Seymour oh oh. Recently, just a day or two ago, Josh got an email from a listener, Nate Dean, who said, Adam, I can't believe you have William Miller as your profile pick on Letterboxed, but failed to put Almost Famous in your top twenty five films of the century. Almost Famous is my favorite film of all time, So I'm kind of offended. Please change your profile pick, Nate. I hear you, I feel you. I will not change my profile pick. It has been my profile pick since profile picks existed, really in the wake of me seeing Almost Famous originally in theaters back in two thousand and one. To try to make up for it a little bit here, Philip Seymour Hoffman was my number two actor of the two thousands on that list in twenty ten. And Josh, even though this is how great Philip Seymore Hoffman is, even though we lost him in twenty fourteen, I do believe he's still worthy of the number one choice. Here's the Mount Rushmore Lancaster Dodd the Master in twenty twenty, I suggested that that processing scene which we heard at the top of the show was maybe the scene of the decade him and jauquein in Phoenix, number two, Capodi in Capodi, for which he won the Oscar. Nate. Here it is number three on the Mount Rushmore. A supporting turn Lester Bangs and Almost Famous, and then rounding out the mount Rushmore, I'm gonna go with Caden Coutard from Sinec to Key, New York. And if you want more lead performances, Josh, great, how about Lamette's Before the Devil Knows You're Dead? Opposite Ethan Hawk A Most Wanted Man is a really good film. I don't love this Savages or Doubt, but I have nothing against Philip Seymore Hoffman's performances in either. And the thing about Philip Seamore Hoffman, and we talked about this back when we paid tribute to him after his passing. You can talk about those lead performances, but it's so much fun to talk about how good he is in his supporting turns like Spike Lee's twenty fifth Hour, Your Beloved, Punch, Drunk Love, mattress Man, Dean Trumpele. How memorable is he there? How much of a memorable scoundrel is he even in something like Red Dragon as Freddie Lownds gust In Charlie Wilson's War. I mean, it's a mostly forgettable movie, but he's not forgettable. I still get served scenes from that movie occasionally on Instagram, and I watch them every time if they're a scene that Philip Seymour Hoffman is in, and then he even brings the heat to something like the Hunger Games franchise or another franchise, The Baddie in Mission Impossible three, it.
Speaker 5: Was you in the bathroom, and you're gonna tell us everything, every buyer, you've worked with, every organization, What the hell is your name?
Speaker 3: Names? Contacts, and Victory listens.
Speaker 6: My wife, girlfriend, it's up.
Speaker 3: To you had his ghost, he does, you know what I'm gonna do next. I'm gonna find her, whoever she is. I'm gonna find her, and I'm gonna hurt her.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna hurt her. Josh, I watched that scene again today, just trying to put my finger on what Hoffman is doing there that makes it so special, that makes it something you do remember that exact line reading. It's it's something about the nonchalance. It's something about even a hint of petulance. It's like he can't believe this guy. He keeps asking Tom Cruise, Tom Cruise is Ethan hunt. What's your name? It's like he just can't believe this guy has the audacity to question him to capture him, to tie him up like this, and he is sure he is going to pay him back for this. It's not the performance or the movie that will define Filtzeymour Hoffman's career or this period, but it is one I love.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna ask you all more time. What's your name? What is your rats?
Speaker 7: Who are you?
Speaker 3: Who's the Meyer? You don't have any idea what that was going on here? And he saw what I did.
Speaker 6: You a little blond friend at the factory, right, Oh that was nothing.
Speaker 5: That was fun.
Speaker 6: Fun.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you got who you really wanted. He was not at risk, however, I did.
Speaker 2: I had a feeling.
Speaker 3: I did look at his filmography quite closely. Definitely an honorable mention. I understand the pick. For me, it all came down to the pre twenty ten work because as much as I admire what he does in The Master and yeah, yeah, like you said, very good in Hunger Games, that just wasn't enough for me to have him on my previous list. So the titles that gave me pause among the ones you mentioned where I thought, ooh, I've really got to think about this. Ah yes, almost famous, absolutely punched drunk love, and probably oh before the devil knows your dead for sure. Those three are the ones that almost pushed him into my consideration to be on my board, but decided I had other performers I preferred. And you've now put me in a difficult but enviable position because you're first to the opportunity to take my first choice as you did, or really grab the person. There's one person who I think we both want. Okay, I do not have this person in the first slot on my draft board.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: So I realize if I take the person I need, I'm going to give you your one and two.
Speaker 2: And I don't know quite frankly which option i'd rather have you choose at this point.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm I'm going to follow you following your heart, Adam.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I'm going to go put a sweet episode with the actor who.
Speaker 3: I have ranked first. It was the person who when I realized we were doing this expanse this twenty five years, I thought, I've got to check out the filmography because I bet it is packed. And though it wasn't necessarily someone I had on the previous list or very high, I don't think I had on the list. I just had a feeling that if you add those ten years to what has been done in the past fifteen, you're going to have a powerhouse. And you do. You have Kate Blanchett, had to have Kate Blanchett. Again. It was the research that confirmed it. This is not black bag recency bias. Look at this track record and look at this range. This is the thing with her tour to fourth dramas that I would argue she carried on her back like she made the movie Blue Jasmine. Where do you Go, Bernadette. People probably forget that one, but she is a force in that one. And then Tar, she is Tar, so you have that category also. I think this is how she came to be known as this arresting figure in historical dramas or period pieces. I think you could put Carol in this category. The Aviator, The Good German, speaking of Sodaberg, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which I like more than most people, Nightmare Alley Falls here, and Elizabeth her breakout doesn't fit our timeframe, but Elizabeth the Golden Age does, and she is different in that film, but equally impressive. Kate Blanchett can also do sci fi and fantasy. She can be Galadriel in Lord of the Rings. She can be the step mother in Cinderella. I love that performance. And of course Hella in Thor Ragnarok phsy fun you could put Thor Ragnarok in that category. But I'm thinking more here about Ocean's Eight, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zazou, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Sure, why not? I like that movie more than most people, and she's amusing it, she is. And then here's the topper. Is all of that are things you can envision that is what a great actor would do performances like these, Maybe not one that'd be a lot task of one. She does that, then she gives us something that I can only call experimental her Bob Dylan, and I'm not there.
Speaker 8: Well, is it your belief then that folk music has a chance failed to achieve its goals with the Negro calls or the cause of peace?
Speaker 9: You know, saying cause of peace, it's just like saying it's like a hunk of butter. You know, I don't know how you can listen to anybody who wants you to believe is dedicated to the hunk and.
Speaker 6: Not the butter.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure I thought that.
Speaker 9: You know, I didn't come out of some cereal box.
Speaker 3: This is like, I mean, irreproachable, and the range, the vastness of it, the consistency of it, the fact that she was doing this in the first couple of years of this century. An just dropped black bag on us. I had to take her at number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had her at number five, and depending on how this shook out, it wasn't a lock that I would take her if she was still there, because I've got some amazing choices right behind her. But the Mount rushmore Tar, of course, Carol, and I was wondering when you were going to get to it. Jude Quinn, I'm not there. I'm not sure if you said this one or not. I don't love this Woody Allen film. But Jasmine, did you say Blue Jasmine?
Speaker 3: She's in that category where she carries the movie, she makes the movie, right, she does.
Speaker 2: That's the top four right there. But I also seriously considered putting in her performance as Daisy in the Curious Case of Benjamin Button as Lilith Ritter in Nightmare. Ali. I love that movie. I think it made my top ten of that year, and you mentioned a few others, like the Life of Quatack, like Lord of the Rings, Where'd you go? Bernadette? And I'm not sure if you mentioned this one either, but she's really good in notes on a scandal as well.
Speaker 3: What I don't think I've seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Kate Blanchette is a fantastic choice. She is off the board. The pick does come back to me. Now I have to decide whether or not to take the person that I have at number two? Do we do we keep the sweet sentiment going here, Josh? Do we continue to play nice? Or do I take the person that I think you think that we both want. And you're about to speak, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to say anything, Okay, I don't want to. I don't want to. I don't want to nudge you either way.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing. The person that right now I have at number two is just ahead of the person I think you think we think we want, and that person at number three I had at number one at various points throughout my day. So I really don't feel like I'm being that rude if I take this person at number two instead, and I'm going to add to my reasoning that I kind of have a feeling that my number two choice may not be in your top five, So I have to go with my number two pick someone I called back in twenty twenty, the Chameleon Collaborator till the Swinton.
Speaker 3: Ahah proceed, not the pick I have till the I also had her on my top tip okay, but not the one. But here she is an honorable mention. Wow, and I can explain why, but definitely gave her consideration. Go ahead. I think it's a completely reasonable pick. How did she stick around for you?
Speaker 10: So?
Speaker 2: The Mount Rushmore is so hard because there's so many movies and so many good performances. You almost have to break it up. In terms of directors collaborators that she's worked with. You've got the Wes Anderson Side, Asteroid City, French Dispatch, Grand Budapest, Moonrise, Kingdom, Isle of Dogs. You've got the Luca Guardanino movies like I Am Love and a Bigger Splash Suspiria. Not a huge fan, really like her in that film, the Jim Jarmish films like Limits of Control, The Dead Don't Die, only Lovers Left Alive. As I say, those three titles. I'm not totally sure. I actually have seen the limits of Control, so we can strike that. But I have seen only Lovers Left Alive and the Dead Don't Die. And they're both wonderful films. The Coen Brothers Hail Caesar, a movie we both like, You love. I like quite a bit, really appreciate her in Burn after reading. Add to that the Bong June Hoe performances in Oakja Snow Piercer, her collaborations with Joanna Hogg in Eternal Daughter and The Souvenir Parts one and two. And then, of course, if she hasn't made enough of a mark on the last twenty five years, you have her appearing and performing quite well in various MCU installments. She's also so great. And how about these titles, Josh, I haven't even said yet. The David Fincher film The Killer. We need to talk about Kevin the Deep End from two thousand and one, the movie she won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. Michael Clayton. So I'm gonna have a little bit of a Maya culpa here. Michael Clayton didn't make Madness, didn't even make the shortlists for Madness probably should have. It's a movie that a lot of people really revere, and I do love her performance in that film. I don't think it's a matter of going against type necessarily because I don't think Tilda Swinton has a title. You can you can look at a movie like The Deep End, where she plays a mom, an everyday mom trying to protect her son. In something like We Need to Talk About Kevin, she's a mom trying to figure out how to live with her son. She does play quote unquote normal characters in both of those cases, and I just picked two where I can recall her playing those kind of everyday characters. She is playing different forms of desperation, but there's something entirely different about her. Karen Crowder and Michael Clayton a woman who is herself, always performing, always projecting an image of control in a corporate world that seems to demand it. And that big scene with Clooney at the end, I love the moment just before it she's putting this proposal before the board. She walks out the door and there's nothing really smug about it, but there's just kind of a little bit of self satisfaction on her face, like I geared myself up for this moment, and I did it. I delivered. And she's walking with a precision, and she brushes kind of at her jacket, you know, kind of you pull it down behind you, just making sure you're prim and proper and everything is perfect. And then you watch her get confronted by Clooney and the way she throughout that entire exchange tries to calculate the right next move. I'd say it's like a robot short circuiting, except Swinton makes Karen all two humans.
Speaker 11: It's a drag. I got a thousand of these things. What the hell am I going to do with them?
Speaker 4: I'm calling Marty.
Speaker 3: Good Good do it.
Speaker 11: That's a great place to start. Let's find out who told him that Arthur was calling Anakaiserson. Let's find out who tapped those phones.
Speaker 2: This this memorandum, even if it's authentic, who chied out? I highly I know what you did to Arthur's protected It belongs to you.
Speaker 7: North.
Speaker 11: I know you're killed.
Speaker 6: It's a cot and dry case of attorney clients.
Speaker 11: Now, that's just not the way to go here, Karen, For such a smart person, you really are lost, aren't you.
Speaker 2: This conversation is over, and I love that line for such a smart person. You really are lost, aren't you? And man' That's what Swinton plays when she's playing Karen Crowder. That last scene really is as rewatchable a scene as there is from the two thousands, thanks to both Tilda Swinton and George Clooney. Oh you know what else I haven't mentioned. She's in three Thousand Years of Longing, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button adaptation, wonderfully funny. In train Wreck. She's in Vanilla Sky, Memoria, and Mike Mills Thumbsucker. There are others. Those are just all movies I like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the filmography is incredible. Michael Clayton is the title that almost pushed her onto the board for me because it was all about the pre twenty ten work. As I said, you know, she was my number eight in the Best of the twenty tens, so there's nothing to complain about her work. She's been doing since Michael Clayton Burn after reading I think you mentioned prior to twenty ten adaptation. These are the ones that stood out to me. Broken Flowers, The White Witch, and Narnia.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Broken Flowers. I didn't say that another good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jarmush very good. And you know, I don't know if this is fair. It probably isn't because I have another person I hope I get who also does you know, works often in smaller parts. But that's something that sort of held me back for this list. And then I just have in my notes here may have hit her stride post twenty ten question mark, which I know applies post twenty ten applies, and that's quite a stride. So as you were going through all those titles, the regret was definitely seeping in. But hey, I came here with her as an honorable mention, so I'm not gonna regret it all that much. Okay, I'm gonna grab him. I can't believe you didn't grab him. Yeah, how is how is Joaquin Phoenix here?
Speaker 2: So woking Phoenix? Somehow is it? Let me be clear, He's not here off my board.
Speaker 3: He's off everybody's board because I just took him. He just took him.
Speaker 2: It's crazy because he was my number one, and that was a slam dunk number one back in twenty twenty. Yeah, and and nothing's really changed either as far as my perception of him, to be honest.
Speaker 3: Oh, of course, yeah, of course. And as I'm as I was describing how I thought about Tilda Swinton, it was very similar for him. Unimpeachable in the section the work where we considered last time, the period we considered last time, I don't even know if we talked much about Coman. Come on, I love him as joker. I think that only adds to his credibility for me. But let's look at prior to twenty ten. I feel like that period. Not only there's not only a lot of films here that show his promise, obviously much younger than I think, he has films that delivered on that promise already. To die For, I mean this is where everyone came to recognize that there was something special here Gladiator. You know, maybe not an amusing performance. I don't know if you would put it on that rushmore you've been talking about, but I do like it as a pivot from to Die For and just you know, kind of jumping into a big blockbuster and kind of grabbing it in a way, making his scenes his own.
Speaker 2: For sure, now the just would just want to be sure you're not counting to die for in the two thousands.
Speaker 3: Today, for is oh, remind me what it's in your nineties.
Speaker 2: It's like ninety five.
Speaker 3: Oh, never mind, Okay, strike that from the record.
Speaker 2: Everything you said still stands, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but that, But yeah, I don't know if that would would that have eh No, I don't think that would have swayed me because I also really like his work with James Gray. So we're talking about the Yards, we on the Night, two Lovers, and then you know, it was it was brief, but his collaborations with m Night Shamalan in Signs and The Village probably some of the if you set aside the sixth Sons, some of the best acting done in a Shamalan film. I really think he's quite strong in Walk the Line, even though that's not my favorite genre of film. You can usually get really strong performances from it. And Phoenix gave one and Walk the Line, So yeah, for me, you know, you add that to stuff like I'm Still here, the Master, Her in Her and Vice Joker and come on, come on, yeah, gotta have him glad.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 3: I've got a couple songs I were wrote in the Air Force.
Speaker 6: You got anything in the Air Force?
Speaker 3: Nope, I do.
Speaker 10: I hear the train coming, it's rolling around the Bend and nine seen the Sunshine scenes. I don't know, I'm stuck in fullsome prison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fantastic choice. And he was one in that mix when I said that Kate Blanchett I had at number five, but I had kind of two other choices that when it got there, would I really pull the trigger or would I go in a different direction. He was one of those names. The Mount Rushmore is pretty clear, Freddie Quell the Master, I think Dox Sportello and Haron Vice obviously his character in Her. And then it gets really difficult because you've got a character like Joe and Lynn Ramsey's you were never really here. I love him as Leonard and James Gray's two Lovers, which you mentioned. I know a lot of people would put Joker probably in the mix or perhaps in come On, Come On. The fact is there are a lot of good choices, maybe Josh since twenty twenty when I look at the titles, other than come On, come On, it's Joker, Joker too, Bo was afraid. Joker might have been twenty nineteen, so just before twenty twenty, but Joker to Bo is afraid. In Napoleon, I guess didn't do a ton to raise Phoenix in my estimation, but then he really didn't need to be raised.
Speaker 3: And I probably like some of those performances more than you exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, I am going to go with my third choice.
Speaker 3: If I can get past this pick, I will have everyone I want to have.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here's the one that either is someone you of course have on your list, because when you think about the mount Rushmore of actors period, certainly living but living or dead, this is a name that's going to come up. This is a name that's going to come up in the conversation in the top five or ten. But I think you like to look at body of work, and quantity seems to matter to you, Josh, in addition to the quality, and I think that might rule this person out, but it's not going to rule him out.
Speaker 3: I know where you're going for me.
Speaker 2: I am going with Daniel day Lewis.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I love the pick. You're considered the pick an honorable mention, not who I was thinking of. Actually my first, my first honorable mention, so I would have gone there. I definitely gave the limited body of work consideration, and then said I don't care. I don't care that he only made what six six films in this period, two of which I haven't seen. I still don't care. I would I would have easily taken him if I had to go that direction, and happily so I can see.
Speaker 2: You can see those chiseled faces in the rock now, Daniel Plainview, there will be blood. Reynald Woodcock Phantom Thread Build, the Butcher Gang of New York, still one of the scariest non horror movie characters ever put on screen. And Abraham Lincoln Steven Spielberg's Lincoln. If we were just doing an actor's draft, as I was alluding to earlier, like you're drafting a team. You don't know what movie you're going to make, but you know you're gonna need talent. Dandrew day Lewis is probably your number one pick, right, And when you think about those four characters, it's hard to come up with more disparate but equally compelling characters than those four. He is, as I said back when we revisited, there will be Blood, and I'm sure many others have said about him, to use a cliche, he's a force of nature on screen, and yet he is someone who can do and who does such subtle work, and he's someone who, with every expression and with every line reading, seems to be given you three or four different ways to interpret what might be going on in his head. And I think it's such a feat Josh, to be inscrutable, to inhabit characters that in their own way are inscrutable without being alienating or distancing, and also to be that big as his characters are without being alienating or distancing. You do still have to be drawn to these characters, and he can be distancing. My first time with There Will Be Blood, the calibration was off for me, But it has never been off with that character in that movie since it's never been off with Daniel day Lewis, since I think that is a film, and that's a performance that you can recalibrate yourself around. And I know everyone thinks about I've abandoned my child and I drink your milkshake, But when I think about Daniel Plainview, I think about the oil rig explosion and the urgency to get his son to bring him to safety, and then not too long after that, the train scene where he does abandon his son and the anguish the silent, mostly silent anguish that we see Daniel da Lewis's character going through.
Speaker 3: Do you just tell me how to run my family? It might be more important now that you've proven the field. We're offering to buy you out. One night.
Speaker 12: I'm going to come to you inside of your house wherever you're sleeping, and I'm going to cut your throat.
Speaker 2: Okay, So not much in terms of quantity. I think with those four movies and four performances, the quality is pretty high. Josh, and you said you hadn't seen the other two I have. Nine isn't great, but he's still Daniel day Lewis, and he's still entirely watchable and magnetic in that film. And you know what is a really good film that more people should see with another really good performance by Daniel day Lewis, The Ballad of Jack and Rose. So you do have six movies to go off of, all of which I would recommend seeing, and recommend seeing for his performances.
Speaker 3: Only fair if you've seen all of his films during this period, that you should get him in this draft. So that that worked out, okay, which means I can take the one person that I thought left at least we might both want it's Scarlett Johansson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after I realized it wasn't Tilda, I knew it had to be scar Joe because we both had her quite high in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: We did. And the instinct might be to say, well, sure, she's had a great run the last ten fifteen years, but has she been around that long? And actually she has because she came to the screen as I don't know if you'd say a child actor, but a younger teen actor, certainly in the horror Swhisper and and I remember calling out her performance in that, you know, kind of sitting up and like, who is this kid? And it's only been proven from there. So if you look at her filmography pre twenty ten, she has the prestige match point. Here's the big one, here's the one. The fact that Lost in Translation came in this period for me is probably enough to say, okay, you're still you're still ready for this top five in this draft. But yeah, the younger performances are strong. Think about something like a film I like people have probably forgotten in Good Company, but Ghost World, which has become something of a cult film. The Cohen's the man who wasn't there. You know, she has a smaller part but is good. And you know, here's here's what pushed her over the edge. Honestly, it's the fact that since twenty twenty, since we did those lists and we both had her on ours, she had a Asteroid City, which I think we both had is like one of the favorite performances of the year of the year, and you know what, Hey, she's a lot of fun and fly Me to the Moon, so throw that in here as well. But I was a little surprised, honestly, Adam to see when I sat down and looked at the work outside of that twenty ten to twenty twenty period and that it resonated held up and I wanted to have her on this list too.
Speaker 7: I'm not a good mother. I love my daughter, but I'm not a good mother because, unfortunately for her, she's not my first priority on account there's always already the thing I planned to do next. I love my daughter, by the way I love all my children. We have a magical time when we're together. I have another girl and a boy. They lived with my second ex.
Speaker 6: Husband in Utah.
Speaker 7: He rarely sees them either. I wish I felt guilty at least, but I don't experience that emotion. If I understand it correctly, I played it.
Speaker 6: Of course, you never feel guilty in real life.
Speaker 2: I'm looking back at my notes now from twenty twenty, and I mentioned the three great performances in three great films, thing Josh, I have Marriage Story and Under the Skin and her Indible Right, I'm not even listing their lost in translation. And let's be clear, I may not love it as much as you and Sam do, but I'm pretty sure I gave it four and a half stars, and I think her performance is pretty wonderful, so it belongs in that mix. There's a very clear Mount Rushmore there. And I forgot the Ghost World was two thousand and one. I had to look that up. I thought I was going to catch you in another nineties blunder, but no, that's two thousand and one. And yeah, you had Asteroid City into the mix. You've got Hail Caesar in the mix. She is in those MCU turns.
Speaker 3: You did catch me. Horse Whisper was too early, yes, of course eight yes, take that one off the board, but I'm still putting her hud By less.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a wonderful choice, and she was in my top ten for this draft. It was certainly possible that it would get to her. But you got her with your third choice, which brings me to my fourth pick, and I am going to take the person I have at number four, an actor who's praises I was singing just last week when we were doing our top twenty five films of the century. The actor is certainly one of my favorites. Denzel Washington, Josh the Mount Rushmore, and if you'd go here, yeah, The Mount Rushmore is Detective Keith Frazier from Inside Man. I don't think Training Day is an incredible film. I think it's a good film. That performance, of course, is a detective Alonzo Harris is charismatic as hell. Flight is a movie I was mixed on, but I think that performance as Whip Whittaker is among Denzel Washington's best. And then I'll go ahead and throw in a movie that is beloved by me and almost nobody else. His turn is Creasy in Man on Fire. There are much more respectable performances to throw in a Mount Rushmore for Denzel, though from this period. Ben Marco in what I think is a really good remake by Jonathan dem of the Manchurian Candidate. It is Troy Maxon in Fences, Frank Lucas an American gangster. His turn is Macbeth in the Tragedy of Macbeth. All of those are good, great performances. But he is an actor, and I think this is the key. And those are good movies for the most part.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But the thing about Denzel is he elevates everything he is in. When you have material, and he has made films, I'm going to give you some titles, Josh. When you have material that nobody is going to argue is necessarily great cinema, it still delivers legitimate entertainment because of Denzel Washington and his commitment to the material and to his character. Deja Vu, the Book of Eli, Gladiator too, the Magnificent Seven, and yeah, exhibit A would be any slash all of the Equalizer movies, which would be otherwise unwatchable. And yet something about the earnestness, the sincerity of that character and the conviction that Denzel Washington brings to those roles makes those movies something Josh, that at minimum, I can watch on an airplane, and you know what, at the very bottom of this list for an actor I already adore who's given me performances like Keith Fraser an inside man and like Alonzo Harris. That just rounds out what I think makes him so special as an actor.
Speaker 6: I'm still crying out giving me your phone.
Speaker 3: Right or left?
Speaker 6: What you mean and it?
Speaker 3: Are you right or left handed?
Speaker 13: Right?
Speaker 8: Call nine one one, tell them the truth about what happened in it, and I get Daddy's money.
Speaker 3: He's not going to save you this time. You understand, Yes, sir, you know what I mean. No, her name is Amy. Give me your left hand, Give me.
Speaker 2: Your left hand, and yes, I'm leading out. Remember the Titans in John Q. Because I don't care for them that much. Even though, yes, of course he's Denzel. He's very good in those movies.
Speaker 3: Well, that's just it. I'd be tempted to say, you know, he's never been bad, except I haven't seen everything he's done, and maybe there's a chance he is in something and I avoided it because I didn't have a good instinct about it. But everything you've mentioned pretty much, he's fantastic in Uh. He was number seven on my board, so definitely in the mix for me, and you highlighted the ones, you know. Yeah, I don't think think it should be his best actor win in Training Day, but it was really these titles that had him this high for me. Manchuri Candidate, Inside Man, Flight Fences, the Tragedy of Macbeth, and maybe the poster child for you what you were talking about him elevating material Gladiator too, such fun in that one. So yeah, definitely in consideration for me. All right, So we are up to my fourth pick, which means you only have one left.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: This is someone I wanted on my board at number four. But I think it could also be a gift for you, Adam, because I think this will offer you a chance to get someone who might be your last pick. You've been surprising me though, so maybe not. I'm taking Tony Leung instead of Leonardo DiCaprio. You can have Leo, thank you. I'm taking Tony, and I think of them as a pair, of course, because Young was just so good in two thousand and two's Infernal Affairs, which Martin Scarcese remade in six with DiCaprio as the departed. I do think I was thinking about this too today. They kind of share equality in some of their films, not all their films. They can be dreamboat weasels when they want to be, and I love that. I mean, those are my favorite performance of DiCaprio, and I love when Leung has leaned into that as well. Let's focus on him though now, because this is one that Yeah, had that instinct of don't forget to don't forget to look up what he's done in this period and holy smokes, so Tony Deong gets this era started with obviously the one everyone thinks of in the Mood for Love and his presence opposite Maggie Chung there in one carwise masterpiece. I mean, it should be enough to put him on this list on its own. Then in two thousand and two, he was in Zongimo's Hero. This reunited him with Maggie Chung. They played dueling assassins. It's a martial arts drama and it's kind of the flip of in the Mood for Love where they're they're giving in to all this fiery emoting compared to the subdued nature they had to have in the earlier film. So yeah, two thousand and two Infernal Affairs that same year as I mentioned he's the undercover cop as was Leo. Now, I wasn't as high on Wang Kar Wai's pseudo follow up to Two in the Mood for Love twenty forty six, but Leung is still mesmerizing in it. On Lee's Lust Caution, which I think has been forgotten in Lee's filmography but is an incredibly fascinating erotic spy thriller that Leung is incredible in. We on the show, Adam reviewed him quite favorably. If I remember in another Wan Kar Wai film, The Grand Master, that was twenty thirteen, and you know what, he brought more gravitas to the MCU than it probably deserved in Shang Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings, which I insist is a very good MCU film. So those are the list of films Leong films, just the ones I've seen, And if you look at his filmography, there's clearly a lot of non English language stuff that I need to catch up with. I feel good about this pick just because there is so much more I need to see, and I think anything I choose to watch is only going to bolster my choice. So yeah, I'm taking Tony Leong with my number four pick.
Speaker 2: Good pick my number three actor of the two thousands, and that was largely on the strength of, of course, Infernal Affairs, a movie I love and in the mood for love. And yes, this is a really nice connection you're making between the two movie stars here, and they do have that connection in terms of the material between Infernal Affairs and The Departed. I am you are correct, Josh taking Leo Dicapriaz, and I feel really good about it taking him at number five closing out my draft. He was my number one of the two thousands. He was my number three of the twenty tens. Picking a Mount Rushmore was tough for me. Billy Costigan from The Departed is there? I think that's number one, even though for a lot of people it would probably be a different Martin Scorsese performance. It would be Jordan Belfort and the Wolf of Wall Street. Well, he'd be in my top three or four. And then it's one of those Quentin Tarantino collaborations, Rick Dalton Once upon a Time in Hollywood, and it's very tempting to go with another Quentin Tarantino collaboration, Calvin Candy in Django. Unchained on that table top.
Speaker 12: If you lift those palms off that tuntal cell tabletop, mister pooch is going to lose both fails that sought off. There had been a lot of less set around the dinner table yet tonight, but that you can't.
Speaker 2: Believe it's the movie.
Speaker 5: Would you be so kind as a collective pistol hanging off these boys hipsy.
Speaker 2: I think if I'm rounding out that Rushmore, I would go away from Tarantino, I'd go away from Scorsese, and I'd go with Frank Abagnail. I'd go with Spielberg's catch me if you can. A weasel you're right, and a dreamboat too, a pretty dreamy exactly weasel in that film. And I do love that relationship, of course, that that father son relationship that inevitably builds between him and Tom Hanks's character in that film, even though that's not something either of them are consciously looking for. Hugh Glass, his Oscar winning turn in the Revenant is also very good. You know, I'm not a huge fan of that movie. But you also have Don Cobb an inception. You have his performances in other Martin Scorsese movies like Shutter Island, in Gangs of New York with DiCaprio. I think the only reason maybe he's not higher for me, Josh, is when you look at his filmography. And actually I wanted to say this about Leung. I think what's hard for me? And you alluded to this a little bit. I just haven't seen so many of his films when I look at IMDb since twenty ten, and DiCaprio just hasn't made very many movies in the last five or seven years. But the ones he has made once upon a Time in Hollywood stands out. Killers of the Flower Moon stands out as another one that I think is a great performance. It does all come back to The Departed for me. And you may recall, just maybe a month ago or so here on the show a little over a month ago, I talked about how that's my comfort food. I was on a plane coming back from my trip to Italy and I threw in that Departed and I said, there was that one line reading that scene that I just cannot get enough of, that scene with Vera Farmega where he is confronting her as a therapist and making her very uncomfortable, basically because he just refuses to you allow her to get away with her usual bs that she probably gets away with with most cops who come into her office. And he's very confrontational but also very incisive, and I think it's DiCaprio maybe at his best. I think it's the best scene in the film and one of DiCaprio's best scenes overall. And that line reading about what the policeman signed up for, well, let's go ahead and hear it.
Speaker 5: So do they all come in here and cry? Your cops?
Speaker 13: Sometimes they do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Sure, Sometimes they cry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if they've had trouble at home, if they've had to use their weapons.
Speaker 5: Use their weapons. Let me tell you something. They signed up to use their weapons, most of them, all right, but they watch enough TV so they know they have to weep after they use their weapons. There is no one more fullish than a cop except for a cop on TV.
Speaker 2: With your theory, Josh, how about his character in Killers of the Flower Moon? Just full blown weasel right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, though though you know his his eventual wife thinks he's quite the dream That's true. Comments on that, that's true.
Speaker 2: But maybe maybe the weaseleest of all of DiCaprio's characters.
Speaker 3: Fair to say fair to say yes for sure.
Speaker 2: Your final choice, Josh, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know if you're ready for this, Adam, I think I think you're going to want this to be struck from the Film Spotting records, get smirching this whole exercise. I don't know if you saw, but for Film Spotting family members, we have this discord set up.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I'm on board.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, okay, Yeah. There was an interesting conversation where should a comic actor be considered for this list? A comic first actor, I think, is how we were talking about. It's somebody who's, you know, not a dramatic actor who's been funny in occasional roles, or even a comedian who eventually went for full drama, but someone who was just pure comedy. And a lot of names were thrown out. I considered many of them some good choices for me. There was only one realistic possibility, and once I added these up, I just could not stop myself from wanting to draft Will Ferrell.
Speaker 2: Really, Okay, that's not where you were going. I know, I know, I thought for sure and I didn't hear that discord. I thought for sure or yeah, you were going a little bit more respectable with John c Riley or Bill Murray. And of course, considering your love for Murray and your love for his performances in Wes Anderson films, how is it that you're going with Will Ferrell instead, Josh.
Speaker 3: Let me just quickly say about Murray is that you know, his golden age, though he's done good stuff since kind of ended around twenty fifteen, and in terms of that stuff that would really put him at the top. He was on my Honorable Mentions list though on my board would have taken him if I needed to go in that direction. But for Farrell, you know, Murray is also someone the movies that we think of him as being great and are also great, and Farrell that's not always the case. But this is a list about the performances at him. It's not necessarily a list about the movies as a whole. So even if his comedies tend to be uneven on the whole, I'm gonna list some that aren't necessarily all that great. Who has had a better run of comic characters since two thousand than these names? And I'm just picturing listeners, I hope just the smiles growing wider and wider with each one. Mugatu in Zulander, Yeah, Frank the Tank in Old School, of course, Buddy the elf Ron Burgundy in Anchorman, Chazz Wedding Crashers, small part, but crucial, crucial to what that movie is all about. Adam Ricky, Bobby Talladega Knights. He's in the title for goodness sake. As you know, so many of these characters are we get another Chas Chas, Michael Michaels Blades of Glory, Jackie Moon semi pro. Things are a little sketchy movie wise there, but great characters. Brennan and Stepbrothers. I love Stepbrothers. I also love the other guys where he's alongside Marley Wahlberg as Alan Gamble. You know, I mean I haven't brought this up maybe in five years at least. Adam Casa Daemi Padre Armando. I mean, I haven't forgotten that rest of the world has forgotten. I have not President Business among other parts in the Lego movie, and of course his counterpart, Lord Business's cousin mattel Ceo in Barbie.
Speaker 2: Are any women in charge?
Speaker 3: Listen?
Speaker 8: I know exactly where you're going with this, and I have to say, I really resent it. We are a company literally made of women. We had a woman CEO in the nineties, and there was another one at some other time.
Speaker 3: So that's that's two right there.
Speaker 8: Women are the freaking foundation of this very.
Speaker 3: Long, phallic building. You're my Legit may vary on the ease. There might be some of you like better that I that I missed. I didn't even mention. That is an astonishing run of ridiculousness.
Speaker 2: You forget all the sun contest the story of.
Speaker 3: Good one another good one, Thank you, thank you. I mean think about that for an snl alum to keep this up in all these different ways for over twenty five years. Okay, you need some drama in the mix. You need to not feel terrible about this being on the film spotting web page. Be a little bit respectable. He's very good in Stranger than Fiction.
Speaker 2: And I've got no apologies, Josh, I'm.
Speaker 3: Okay, good good and Will and Harper. Let's just throw Will in Harper. Sure, I know it's a documentaries playing itself, but but yeah, just just for being a part of that project, maybe that'll help swing a few folks over to my side. And I won't be entirely public.
Speaker 8: That's nice way to go, nay boy oh Man. That is good news, good news.
Speaker 2: That is our actors and actresses of the century so far. Draft. You can find our complete list anytime you would like at film spotting dot net slash list to quickly review Josh hit him with your five picks.
Speaker 3: Kate Blanchett, Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansson, Tony Leung, Will Ferrell. And that was my board. I thought we might both come away happy. I think you are too right.
Speaker 2: Philip Seymour Hoffman is my number one, till the Swinton, Daniel Day, Lewis, Denzel Washington, Leonardo DiCaprio. That's my board. Other than the fact that I had Blanchett at five DiCaprio at six, and I was gonna make a final call between them at the last minute if that choice was there, that choice was not. I have no complaints about my board. We hope you enjoyed this frivolous little exercise. We would love to hear your picks. You can email us feedback at filmspotting dot net.
Speaker 3: Listening is the number one thing you can do to support an independently produced show like film Spotting. There are a couple more things you can do. You could take a minute to give us a rating or review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Doesn't matter if you're a first time listener or you've been listening for twenty years. Every new review helps us reach new listeners. Here's another great way to support us, join the Film Spotting Family at film spottingfamily dot com. We want to thank family member Adam Graff in Portland, Maine. Adam's letterbox handle is Linus calledwell seventy five. Went to check today and yep, I am following Adam, speaking of the discord, the Film Spotting Family discord, I went through a flurry. I had been behind on people sharing their letterbox profiles. Finally some time opened up. I just went on there and went through a burst of following. So apologies if you're a family member and I haven't followed you there yet. Hopefully I'll catch up at some point. But yeah, good to follow Adam there as well. Linus caledwell seventy five.
Speaker 2: A reference to Ocean's eleven, so we must have a Soderberg fan in our midst. Adam writes about how he found us. I think it was a simple Google search back in twenty fifteen, when I was first getting into podcasts and looking for something about movies. His letterbox top four Into the Wild, the Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford in Bruges, and The Tree of Life. Not bad, a favorite movie he revisited recently, but Bett's Feast a random film or filmmaker that you love.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: This submission came in before the Oscars. Filmmaker Sean Baker film Cutter's Way. He says, I think the filmmaker and the movie are terribly underrated, but maybe not now with the Palm Door Win. Yeah, and maybe not now.
Speaker 3: With that us just getting started.
Speaker 2: Actually a movie you credit with becoming a sinophile, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, especially watching every second of the bonus features of all three extended edition DVDs and getting a sense of how much work and collaboration goes into the craft of filmmaking. Finally, a book about movies or movie making. This was Hollywood for Gotten Stars and Stories by Clara Valderrama, which helped teach me about some of the unknown aspects of the beginning of Hollywood and let me to watch the greatest dance sequence in all of Cinema, which is the performance by the Nicholas Brothers with Cab Callaway at the end of Stormy Weather. We thank Adam for being a part of the Film Spotting Family and for all of the years of listening. In addition to keeping us doing what we're doing. Your support comes with perps. You get to listen early in ad free, You get a weekly newsletter, You get exclusive opportunities like being part of the Film Spotting Family discord. You get our monthly bonus shows like the quarterly Film Spotting Advisory Board meeting. We just dropped audio of that into our family members' feeds, and we are just under a week away from recording our main bonus draft with our Film Spotting Madness Bracket contest winner Ricky Kendall. We are doing dead directors.
Speaker 3: I think there's gonna be some more fighting with that one. Yes, that's my instinct.
Speaker 2: Yes. And we'll wait to reveal the draft order and how we came upon that draft order when we record the show. But let's just say I won't be getting my number one choice probably.
Speaker 3: I don't think I will either. We were both way off on our guests. We were way off for that.
Speaker 2: You can learn more at Film spottingfamily dot com. Did you show up in Vienna that December?
Speaker 3: Did you?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 8: I couldn't, But did you?
Speaker 5: I need to know?
Speaker 3: It's important why if you didn't?
Speaker 2: Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawk there in Before Sunset. Next week, Josh, we plan to revisit the second film in Richard Linklater's Before trilogy as part of our ongoing Pantheon project. Yes, all three films in that trilogy are currently in the Film Spotting pantheon. But we have never discussed in depth Before Sunset, and we really hadn't discussed Before Sunrise either until that is our recent Film Spotting Fest. We closed out the fest with a Q and A. Our friend Scott Tobias joined us for that. So next week on the show, you're going to hear that Q and A, but you are also going to hear our conversation about Before Sunset. Now, Before Sunset did not make your top twenty five of the century last week. I think I had it at number two. Should I be worried about your Sunset and a Visor too bold?
Speaker 3: No, you shouldn't be worried. That's a wonderful movie. And the question I have that I'm curious about I'm eager to watch it again. Is will it bump its way even higher? And maybe, as some people have it, supplant Before Sunrise as my favorite in the series because that seems like a take that for me, at least, it would require some time to get around to. But I can understand after years of not only think about these movies but just living that you could get there. So yeah, I haven't watched Before Sunset and I don't know how long and can't wait to do it. Do it for this conversation.
Speaker 2: More about the Film Spotting Pantheon, which is effectively our movie hall of Fame at film Spotting dot Net slash Pantheon. Also next week we will wrap up our Andre Tarkowsky Marathon with nineteen eighty three's Nostalgia. For a schedule of future shows film Spotting dot Net slash episodes, we do have some good stuff coming up that unfortunately you won't be here for, Josh, You're going to be off in Japan having meet up with film Spotting listeners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought I'd just throw it out there see what happens, and there's a good group getting together. The list is growing, I mean we're we might have to find a new place if we're get to be too big for the place. We have plans, So it's great, can't wait to do that. And yeah, just spend a couple of weeks traveling. But unfortunately random and Michael Phillips at a screening last night and he's gonna come in. I'm going to miss a couple of good top fives.
Speaker 2: It sounds like, yeah, well, we're gonna do Mission Impossible, the Final Reckoning, and we are going to do our top five movie stunts. So if you have any options that you would like us to be sure not to overlook, send us a note feedback at film spotting dot net. And then the week after that, how about this, Aisha Harris is going to sit in for a full show. She's going to guest host and in honor of the thirtieth anniversary of Clueless, we're gonna give that the sacred cow treatment. She wrote about Clueless in her book Wanna Be Fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't wait for both of those. You probably wouldn't, but just you know, remember folks like Keaton and Chaplin for your stunts, right, it doesn't have to be the big budget action stuff for those lists. At least that's what I'd want to consider.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I've already decided that it's all fast and furious.
Speaker 3: I mean, that is a completely honorable way to go.
Speaker 2: As well, speaking of the Pantheon, as we just were, we did want to note the passing last week of director James Foley. He has a film in the film Spotting Pantheon. It is nineteen ninety two's Glen Garry Glenn Ross. Fully also directed a couple of Fifty Shades sequels. He directed nineteen eighty six Is at Close Range, starring Sean Penn and Christopher Walking. Somehow, Josh at Close Range remains a blind spot for me. Maybe in honor of James Fully, I'll finally watch it. Have you seen it?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. If I had it, I shouldn't have. I wasn't supposed to sure, but may may have snuck it on VHS, you know, a year or two later at a neighbor's house. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, he directed the stalker thriller Fear with Mark Wahlberg, and he directed Madonna in Who's That Girl?
Speaker 3: Rip? James Fully and yeah, you know, speaking to Madonna and looking over some of his work, his filmography. If you grew up on Madonna music videos, a handful of those were fully as well.
Speaker 2: I wasn't aware of that.
Speaker 3: This week, on our sister podcast, The Next Picture Show, looking at cinema's present via its past, they have a new pairing. They are diving back into the MCU with Thunderbolts, and they'll be pairing that with nineteen ninety nine's not so super superhero movie mystery Men, which I think has grown in appreciation over the years. I don't know if it's reached cult status yet, but yeah, I like that one a fair amount when it came out. Will be interesting to hear them talk about it in connection with Thunderbolts. Mystery Men had Ben Stiller, Hank Azaria, William H. Macy, Greg kinnear. So pretty solid cast there, pretty fun film. New episodes of The Next Picture Show drop every Tuesday, and you can find them wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 6: Okay, there's not a word or a sentence or a concept that you can illuminate for me. There is one thing of the reason I keep coming here true November fourteenth, nineteen fifteen nine, three years ago, three years that it's all the money here from you.
Speaker 2: Philip Seymour, Hoffmann Oscar nominated three times for Best Supporting Actor. Josh didn't win for any of those, but he did win Best Actor for that role Capodi back at the two thousand and seven Oscars. He was my first choice in our Actors of the Century draft. Now that we've done the hard work of narrowing down the best actors and actresses of the last twenty five years, it is our listeners turns. It's full time. We got five picks each. They only get one pick, and they've got six options to choose from however they want to do it. The best actor or actress definitive actor or actress of the last twenty five years, their favorite, they can go however their heart leads them. The options are we went with three each from our lists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, three from each of our lists. And also, you know, if you think we were misguided, there is the other category. But the names are Kate Blanchett, Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel da Lewis, Philip Seymour, Hoffman, Scarlett Johansson, and Joaquin Phoenix. So give it some thought, look at those filmographies and vote in that poll. Also leave a comment. You can do that at Film spotting dot.
Speaker 13: Net Sonata, but should slow to This is Tima.
Speaker 2: That's from Andre Tarkowski's Stalker, which was released in nineteen seventy nine. It's the fourth film in our Tarkovsky Blind Spots Marathon. Our mission with this marathon to complete the Russian Masters filmography. I think, Josh, you're now already there.
Speaker 3: I'm there. I can say I've seen them all and I only need to see each of them ten more times to feel like I've wrapped my arms around them.
Speaker 2: I've got one more to go. The film spotting marathons, which we do once or twice a year, are our opportunities to fill in cinematic blind spots. We've done marathons dedicated to directors like Tarkovsky, to genres, to various countries or region specific cinemas. We both had a couple of Tarkowski films we needed to catch up with, including for me this week's film, which is not just my biggest Tarkovski blind spot, but among my biggest cinematic blind spots period. Stalker did come to theaters in seventy nine, but mostly in what was then the USSR. It didn't make it to the US until the early eighties and earn it's reputation thanks to art house screenings throughout the decade when cit sounded spanned its once a decade Greatest Films of All Time lists from a top ten to a top one hundred. In nineteen ninety two, Stalker made the list of forty one, one of three Tarkovski movies to make the cut. Curiously, it missed the list in two thousand and two. Tarkovsky's Solaris made it for the first time instead, but it was back in the top fifty and twenty twelve, and it came in at number forty three on the most recent list in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: Stalker is based loosely on the nineteen seventy two Russian novel Roadside Picnic, which was about the aftermath of an extraterrestrial visit. Here, it follows a may and a guide played by Alexander Kadanovsky, who risks arrest and imprisonment to lead a small group through a dangerous area known as the Zone. Inside the Zone is the Room, this mythical place that has the reputation of being able to fulfill your greatest desires. So adam, yeah, this was the title that I think absolutely drew you to this marathon, and I have already suggested in previous shows that, based on the movie's metaphysical sci fi premise, it's similar to the spirit of Tarkovski's nineteen seventy two Solaris a movie you do love. I cannot wait. This has also been the moment for me of the marathon is getting to hear from someone who just watched Stalker for the first time what they made of it, because I don't think it's as dense as some of the Tarkovski films we've watched or even discussed on this show. Take take Mirror for example.
Speaker 2: I've got to figure it out.
Speaker 3: Sure, I'm not saying that. I'm not saying that, but I think I'm just excited because I do think it's one you can come away from a first viewing with and having at least a concrete reaction too.
Speaker 2: So What's Yours Solaris still carries the mantle as my favorite sci fi Tarkovski and favorite Tarkovsky period. Okay, it's the one that stirs me both in intellectually and emotionally the most. We'll see if that changes with one blind Spot remaining next week here as part of the marathon. But I do understand the reverence for Stalker because I just finished it earlier today, and I still feel like I'm a bit in its trance. Despite its slowness and often its stillness, Tarkotski's tracks pull you and his trio inexorably forward. If we ever do a top five movies that demand you get on their rhythm, Stalker is a lock because not only is it precise in its deliberation, but the sound design features the recurring sound of a train chugging along at a reasonable pace, So there's this near constant thrum just kind of carrying you along. And I said inexorably because there is a sense of inevitability from the opening scene and of obsession, Josh. That reminded me of Close Encounters of the third time.
Speaker 3: I know it, I know which. I don't know why it never struck me this way?
Speaker 2: Behuh it did this time though?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, for sure, oh right away? Right away.
Speaker 2: Coincidentally was released at the end of seventy seven, and Tarkowsky started shooting this film early in seventy seven, so definitely wasn't an influence, right Something was in the air back in seventy seven. What prompted that thought was that opening, that haunted, emotionless look on Stalker's face as he walks out on his wife and child. She's pleading with him to stay, and he is absolutely determined to go, and his line is, I'm imprisoned everywhere. She says, you're going to go back to prison. He says, I'm imprisoned everywhere. At this point, we don't as viewers, know anything really about what the zone is or what his job is, but the implication is is that if he's not doing whatever it is he's setting out to do, if he's not there, then he's in a metaphorical prison, kind of like roy Neiri who has to chase his vision. Ironically, of course, you mentioned the book Roadside Picnic. I learned later that that book does directly address what this film never does, which is that it was this extraterrestrial event. Supposedly it was aliens who caused this dystopian landscape to come about, and presumably the creation of the Zone. There are no aliens or as I recall, mentions of aliens in this film. But how fortuitous, Josh, was it that our Marathon jumped from Andre Rublev thirteen years over the Mirror and Solaris movies we had both seen before to this one where Tarkovsky continues his aggrandizement of holy fools.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hope.
Speaker 2: I hope. I would have processed this on my own, but Tarkovsky did it for us. The writer says to Stalker near the end of the film, you are simply one of God's fools. And at the end of the movie, in that really stunning address to the camera, his wife says, he's one of God's fools. And one of the things that stands out to me about Stalker isn't just that he so clearly is a holy fool someone's society would deem foolish. Andy's someone driven by his faith who unreservedly and unequivocally believes he has a calling to give people hope when they most need it. It's how Tarkovsky asks us to believe along with him, which I want to dig into, but I want to get your thoughts on Stalker first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love all that. The close encounters thing is great, though, I think it's also important to note the distinction, particularly as it applies to the stalker. You know, eventually we discover and you are touching this. I would say roy Neery is more of a seeker. He's in some ways he's more aligned to the writer or the professor on this journey, and where's the stalker is more of a guide and that's where the holy fool, God's fool that all comes in. So yeah, definitely had that on my mind and it was kind of fascinating. I think the sound design, I'm glad you called that out as well. This is a very quiet movie, so it's not necessarily the thing that first comes to mind. There's almost no music, very little music, but those effects you're talking about are so instrumental. And the one thing that stood out to me is note that the first sign we get that something is different in this zone is audible. It's a queue. They're on this rail car on those railroad tracks, and we hear those click of the tracks, right, that sort of monotonous lulling thing. But then you also get, and this is before they've gone very far, this weird metallic echoing that follows them, and it's communicating that this is a different spaces, It has its different rules, different sounds, different feelings and so yeah, the sound design is you know, absolutely key here. And just to go back to this figure of the stalker, I also want to give a little time to something maybe we wouldn't discuss otherwise. The performances and Alexander k. Kaidanowski in this lead role, because I remembered him as this striking figure, very pale. He's got this cropped hair. He's almost like a human, not yet fully formed in some ways, and I was thinking about does this apply to his sort of seeking but also guiding. But I was struck about you know what a charismatic is maybe too strong of a word, but an arresting figure he is in this film because he's not just this stoic guide. He's eager and almost giddy. What does he say when they first arrive in the zone home at last? This speaks to his lays down in the grass. Yes, and the way this is he's following through on what he told his wife. He's feverish to get away from them, but not because of them, but because of where he needs to be. So I liked that quality to the performance. I liked how he gets agitated when the writer and the professor aren't showing the proper commitment.
Speaker 2: When they don't behave, which is the wordy at least in the subtitles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and how irate he is at the end of the film about their lack of belief. And you know, this God's fool thing is interesting because the writer says it with disdain his wife, and that incredible monologue where she's looking directly at the camera, I feel like she's saying it with more of a note of I don't know if it's admiration or it's understanding. I would say it's empathetic understanding more than she showed him in the beginning when he abandoned them. Clearly she was not approving of it then. And then she makes this interesting comment about you know how sorrow, without sorrow there cannot be hope, right.
Speaker 2: Or happiness she says first, and then no hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And that's bringing us to this, you know, this giant idea. Maybe we'll tiptoe towards at some point of what is the room offering? What is the room? You know, what's the room? And that and that is sort of her theory shared with his theory, I think. But yeah, I think the form of this as you were saying, it is one of those you have to be on its rhythm. But for me and why I would recommend it as a entry point, possibly also with Solaris for someone new to Tarkovski, is because it does have this propulsive narrative framework of this fascinating place you want to explore, a goal to get to, and then the aftermath of once you're there, and so that really does carry you through what is a nearly three hour movie with long conversations, an incredibly patient camera, and to me it was more gripping than I had expected. It's been a long time since i'd seen it, and I was settling in for something that was more meditative, perhaps, and I found it. Yeah, just incredibly gripping and yeah, one more thing to throw out there at you before we can go wherever you want to go. But I was struck as well by this. The camera work made me think of this. It is a relatively still camera even for Tarkovski, because production design seems to be at the forefront here it is in so many of his movies, and he's working. Tarkovsky got a production design credit along with Alexander Boim. The interior of these rooms, especially outside of the zone, looking charred. Inside the zone, these spaces are you know, waters everywhere. Of course there's decay, but balanced with growth. And these static shots of the characters in these spaces, it's almost like they're moving through art installations. And this was stage like in some ways made me think of something like you know, Becket's Waiting for Good Oh in sort of the material, but also the staging and the recreation of these spaces. I had forgotten that as well, that it's a very still movie even in terms of the camera work, but not dull for me at all.
Speaker 2: I want to go back to what I was saying about the faith. I think Tarkovsky demands of us as viewers, and you were talking about the zone, and I think the zone itself is a huge part of it, and the room within it. Until the very end, there's one shot where we don't see the exact room, but we get the idea of the location. It's housed in the Stalker I've been calling of Stoker. I'm probably gonna stick with that Stocker references it it's right over there, but otherwise we don't really see the room. It's withheld from our site. Even when they can turn and look at it. The camera doesn't show us until the very end, of course, when the camera finally goes into the room. But the entire movie, Josh, how do we know? How do we know that the room can actually perform the miracles that Stalker claims it does. We don't know. We can't know. And I mention close encounters. I imagine when Alex Garland's Annihilation came out in twenty eighteen, or when the book it was adapted from came out in twenty fourteen, everyone who had seen Stalker thought, hmm, there's some similarities here. That's neither here nor there for me, except in one regard. It's been a while since I've seen Annihilation. But as I recall, when they go into the Shimmer, as it's called there, a lot of crazy stuff goes down. All of the things that Stalker says about the zone, how it's impossible to navigate because it's constantly shifting. He says, the moment someone shows up, everything comes into motion. Old traps dis and new ones emerge. Safe spots become impassable. Now your path is easy. Now it's hopelessly involved. That's the zone. It may even seem capricious, but it is what we've made it with our condition. He makes it sound like it's a video game, as if the land is literally shape shifting in front of us. That's more applicable to a movie like Annihilation. We don't see any of that happen in this film. There are no bizarre or really supernatural occurring save for possibly two moments right, which is when the writer moves forward even though he's told not to, and he hears a voice, and we're left to wonder is that a voice inside his head or is that actually the zone, the zone talking to him. And then later there's a telephone call. There's a telephone call in a place where I'm guessing no one, no one's actually set up a telephone. But other than that, Joss, there's really no special effects. There's no sense of anything within the landscape that's actually alive or shifting. We're just left to believe what Stalker tells us, even when our own eyes, the camera and other characters eyes say that, look, where we're going is right there, it's straight ahead, but Stalker's telling us, no, you can't go that way. You have to take a different much more convoluted round, so I think that's a big part of it. But also it's how Tarkovsky brings us into the world of the zone. And you reference this with the sound design, but it's that hypnotic ride in the railcar and the close ups of the faces, that long ride on the railcar, the closeups of the faces, the sound along the tracks. Then we get mixed in Edward Artemyev's ambient electronic music clanking around as well. He also did Mirror and Solaris and everything up to this point has been that black and white cinematography that's like a saturated yeah, CPIA tone, it's like a decaying CPIA tone. And suddenly, but still subtly, with one cut, we're in full color, lush greens, the blue sky flowers. It's it's just in that shot, all of a sudden, we believe that the Zone is this enchanted, otherworldly place that stalker claims that it is. And I think it's also Josh in one last thing, how he uses the camera almost like a spectral presence, like when the camera does pull back into the room otherwise unmotivated, when it lurks around corners, like lurks around trees, with the corners of that tunnel, like it's another presence is observing all of this. How about the shot and I think I referenced this before when the writer starts walking and oh, actually this is the professor. Later when the professor's in the lead. It's the shot where we're sure that we're seeing the professor's point of view as he walks along, because in the previous shot he has just started walking along the path. And then we cut to a shot where clearly the camera is moving, it's handheld as it looks like a set of eyes is moving along this path, and then all of a sudden, all three characters are ahead of the camera in the shot. It's the shot that occurs through that burned out car, I think, with some bodies inside of it. Right, So we think it's the professor's point of view, but then the Professor's in front of the camera. It's as if this entire space somehow is alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we could chart and discuss in detail. I don't think we'll have time for it tonight. The use of that CPA and switching to the full color here because it breaks where you describe. But then later on we'll go back and forth a little bit in snippets that are curious to me. Alexander Kenyazhinsky is the cinematographer here. But let me go back to what you're talking about with this faith element, because I think you're absolutely right. There is a counter. If someone wanted to argue that this is a film about having faith, you know, an argument about having faith of some sort, you could counter that and say, you know, based on largely what we see, as you've been saying, this could all be mythology built around let's say, a devastating nuclear accident. And worth noting as we're placing this in timeframe, Chernobyl wasn't till eighty six, so this is something that maybe, you know, whether it was the novelists or Tarkowsky, are thinking about possibilities in the Soviet Union. It's not like this had happened. But yeah, you could counter and say this is all mythology. This space suffered a devastating nuclear accident, and now to kind of like in the years after this myth has built up around it. Think about one thing. The writer also says, all of this is someone's idiotic invention, and it's the writer. I thought this was interesting who calls out the soccer for enjoying the power that selling this mystery gives him when they really start going at each other near the end. That's exactly how some people see clergy, see the church right as just manipulating religious belief for power. So that's definitely there's enough of that there in this film to allow for that sort of reading. I think that's the part where the writer might also call him one of God's fools, and in his use of it, it's literal fool. It's like you are unintelligent and you know, and in this case also taking advantage of us. All that being said, just based on you know, the other Tarkowski films and especially something like Andrea rubelev I, this strikes me when it comes to the faith question as this apocalyptically eerie argument that there's something, there's just something more than the material world, and we do get hints of this. I think that incredible shot when they're in that room with the piles of dust, the mounds of dust, a bird comes flying through, and that edit where the bird just disappears mid flight. In the next shot the bird comes back and then we see it land. I think that's never explained what the heck is going on there, but it's something unnatural, to be sure. But for me, it's a through line more that's going across this movie. When we meet the writer for the first time, he's talking to this woman, he's waiting to meet the Stalker and lamenting the lack of the metaphysical in the modern world. I think he references ghosts. I think he might even say flying saucers. Doesn't he say something about the Middle Ages life was more interesting because you know, there was the potential for the metaphysical. And of course we could get into the ending here if we want. This is the fire final shot where we're back outside of the zone where I believe in the stalkers home with his daughter, who's been called Monkey and has been described as you know, being a mutant, a zone mutant, something like that that lends towards the nuclear disaster theory. But here, and this is in color, even though we're in the CPIA world. Here, this is in color. This is where she's been reading a book. We hear the poem read by a woman's voice, but then she just turns and looks at the table and there's a glass and dark liquid there. She stares at it and it begins moving, and you get this. It's hard to describe because what's happening is so simple, But at the end of this film, to have this happen, I think it's because it's the revealing of what the film believes reality to be, is that there is something metaphysical and unexplainable. This is the mystery that Tarkowsky's movies are always trying to solve. I feel like is that she somehow is moving these these glasses. She does it three times, one falls off the table, and the music, the rare music we hear faintly in the background is Beethoven's Owed to Joy. So all of that adds up to me to be this argument that there is something going on here in this room. That's the question I want to ask you, how did you read what's in the room, if anything, because there's a counter that there's nothing there.
Speaker 2: So for me, it goes back to this question of faith. And I don't think it's cop out to say that we're not supposed to know. I think that is entirely the point, and I think it's worth noting that having not read really anything about this film. I don't know what the prevailing sentim it is. I don't know what the conventional wisdom is in terms of how the room itself is interpreted, or what the most provocative questions that this film leaves people with are. What some of the larger philosophical questions are that people have really been wrestling with. But I imagine, Josh that one of those provocations goes back to something the writer says when he decides ultimately that he's not going to go in. He says that the room doesn't grant your wish. What the room does is it reveals to you your true nature and what you truly wish for, essentially revealing who you really are. But what strikes me about that, Josh, is even that is potentially just the writer's interpretation. And he is a writer after all, So that's his interpretation, That is his invention in the moment now that is based on what he knows about what Stalker has told him about his former mentor, a man known as Porcupine. So he's reading into that and determining that this man ultimately killed himself because he went into the room and he learned something about himself that he didn't want to learn, but that's still his interpretation. At the end of the day, Tarkovsky offers no concrete evidence that that room grants any wishes, your true nature, bags of money, whatever it may be. We have no sense of that one way.
Speaker 3: Or the other. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, this is completely open to many interpretations, including the counter I was discussing. I do think my sense, or at least my reading, I should say, is that the writer is closer to what's possibly the truth than the room being like a genie in a bottle.
Speaker 2: Right, It's more interesting, sure it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know that's been the myth that's why people go. But I do think, yes, it's not only revealing what your deepest desire is, but broader than that. I think the movie is suggesting that the Room represents what it means to encounter the divine, and I'm basing that on some other things a stalker says about the Room. He says, I think it lets through all those who've lost hope, not the good or the bad, but the unhappy. And what that led me to think about is those are people who are willing to surrender, to realize they can't save themselves. They're helpless, and part of that surrender is admitting who you are. So if the rumor reveals who you are, your deepest desire is part of that. It's maybe not the entire thing, but it's definitely part of it. That is kind of submitting to the divine is to humbling yourself, exposing yourself, and in that somehow finding hope. I think that's what his wife is talking about when she says, without sorrow, there is no hope. That you have to admit that. There's maybe an element of confession at play here. Stalker says something else like this is the only place to come when all hope is gone. So that's kind of a release and a surrender idea as well. And yeah, I think there are some other sort of details that support this. There's that whole weird sequence where the three of them are falling asleep just before they get to the room, and the movie it's maybe lags a bit because you're like, we want to see what happens and they get drowsy. It's like they're in the field of Poppies and the Wizard of Oz. But we hear a woman quote during that passage from Revelation six, which is this apocalyptic passage about falling before the face of God. Stalker later quotes the story the New Testament story of the disciples encountering the risen Jesus on the road to Amais and they don't recognize him. And I think he says right around that time to the professor and the writer something like do you see or something like that, Like basically, this idea of being open to the divine in some way and the fear and trembling that comes with that is what's in the room. It's not like, you know, I want pizza every day for the rest of my life for free. That's not what the room is giving. It may give freedom, but it's what's going to come first is some sort of honesty, humility, confession, submission, and that's what's terrifying. So yeah, and all that is to say is I don't think this is a tract in any way, but just piecing together, I think that's what the Stalker is suggesting without explicitly explaining to them. And then you throw in you know, so what does it mean that the professor is essentially there to blow the room up? You know, that's a whole nother threat. We could talk about as well, that he sees this as I think his excuse is that this is too powerful for anyone to have, right, so he wants to destroy it. Now, how does that apply to what I've been talking about. I don't know. I still have plenty more questions. But as that was how I sort of started to wrap my mind around.
Speaker 2: The room, the ending in terms of the glass of water with the daughter, I do want to say a couple things struck me, first of all, entirely appropriate that this key moment the end of the film, that it would culminate with a glass of water being Tarkovski not only because of the place water holds in this movie, but the place water imagery holds in all the films we've seen in this marathon and films we've seen outside of this marathon, but also the beginning of this film is a shot of a glass of water shaking as that train goes by. It's almost as if it's going to tremble enough that it might fall off the edge, and it never does. And then we come around to the end. It feels like a callback to that moment, not a direct callback, but a close enough callback. What I thought of Josh more specifically, more pointedly, is what the writer says earlier in the film. What you're referencing. He's bemoaning. And this is ironic in a way because he's not the scientist, he's not the professor, he's the writer. And I know ultimately he's wishing that there was more metaphysical aspects to the universe and that there was something more profound that we could all experience. But what he's saying is something a scientist would say. The world is absolute, we're governed by laws. Yeah, it's ironclad and law. That's ultimately what he's upset about. And that moment seems like, and I think this supports exactly what you were saying and you're reading, but it's a direct rebuke of that. At the end of this movie, it's Tarkovsky's way of saying, not so fast. We don't live in a world that is as immutable in terms of its laws as you think it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I agree. And again it's like, what I love about his films is that it's suggesting that it's more saying, yeah, but what if this, and then showing us something visual that makes us ask that same thing. We've talked about like the wind, the use of the wind and mirror and the water as well. And then here there are a couple of instances. You know, I've talked about Tarkovsky as being more sorcerer or conjuror than film director, and we have a couple of instances of that here with which connect to what you're saying. You know, there are hints of those moving glasses to come. This is again when they first enter the zone and they're on a hill overlooking it. The track, the road track is still there. They're kind of in darkness, it's foggy, and then the sun pierces through the fog and seems to anoint them. There's even a flare on the lens, and then the fog returns and it fades away. Like they couldn't have planned for that. They could not have planned for that. Yeah, Like the camera was just there and it's exquisite. There's a shot when they're closer to the room this well and the camera is looking down on it and there's these ripples of dark water sort of undulating in mesmerizing ways. And how about that shot. I wonder if you caught this, or maybe I was just you know, getting dizzy at this point. There's a shot of a dry river about at one point in the zone, and I could have sworn the lower half of the frame of the dirt was almost undulating in a weird way. And then at the end of this shot again had to be unplanned. This little dust devil just forms and blows around and then disappears. These are like the conjuring sorcerer moments that Tarkovsky seems to somehow either find or create. But I think their hints of what you're talking about. They're just saying, yeah, you know, we know laws of science, and we follow them and believe them. But what's this? What is going What is going on here?
Speaker 2: So two other quick points, something of a thesis statement I think is said, and it's informed for me by his thesis film, which we saw at the beginning of this marathon, the Steamroller and the Violin. We have here a character called the Professor, a character called the writer. I think it's one of the strengths of this film that they are not reduced to just allegorical figures. They have their own frailties and insecurities, and they are individuals, and I don't think they just represent sort of the fields that they come from. But nevertheless, there is very clearly a major allegorical element at play with this. STU Sure as we're talking about what does the room represent? Right, what does the zone represent? And at one point I think it is the stalker who says, or it's actually in a voiceover, it's him and a voice over where he says, for softness is great and strength is worthless. That which has become hard shall not triumph. And maybe I'm taking it too literally. This is a film that you do that at your own risk. But I go back to a film, another allegorical film like The Steamroller and the Violin, a movie that's very much about saying, yes, we live in a world where we need we need people doing tough jobs like running this steamroller, and there are battles to be fought and soldiers that have to fight them, and it's a brutal, tough experience for all of us. But that's why we need beauty, and we need kids who play the violin. And and this seems to be one of those things that is constantly warring in Tarkovski as well, this recognition of the brutality of the world, but also that need as we've discussed with other films, that need for beauty. And it's almost like with his voice over Josh, it's it's as if Tarkovski is trying to usher it into reality. He wants to make it a reality that everyone understands that we need to embrace softness. We need to abandon the notion that being hard, that strength, that might is the only thing that we should aspire to.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love the callback to steamroll learn the violin. That makes sense. I hadn't thought of that. And I think that monologue, which I just love, is also related to this idea of surrender at the foot of the room, because you know you would not do that if you want to be in a position of strength, that is a position of softness. And I think that's yeah, a thesis statement for the film, and also an argument for the professor and the writer, like you're going, if you really want to go and do this, this is the posture you need to it adopt. Not go in there and ask to be the strongest man in the world, but to become the weakest essentially.
Speaker 2: Right at the end of this film, can I ask you a theological question can we end here? Okay, because this kind of confused me. At the end of the film, when he's returned and he's exhausted and his wife is tending to him, he's talking about the intelligentsia. He's really just being highly critical of modernity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's going off at this point.
Speaker 2: He's angry at the modern condition, right, everything that everybody day to day is aspiring to their lack of faith. They're putting all of their hopes in materialism, in things that may satisfy them in the short term but not potentially in the long term. And he's saying, really, even though he's not thinking about it in these exact terms, he is talking about it as if without people who have faith, if this continues, he doesn't have a job. There aren't people who are willing then to venture into the zone anymore. People won't be seeking out the room, right because no one will have the faith to go there. They'll need more proof, they'll need more evidence, whatever the case may be. But in that conversation Josh where he talks about the unhappy and why people go there, my thought is, forget faith. As long as there are people who are unhappy, won't there always be a need to go to the room. And won't there always be unhappy people?
Speaker 3: Yes, So why won't.
Speaker 2: He have a job?
Speaker 3: Oh? Okay to tell one, Yeah, I don't know about sort of you know, the logistics of that as you're describing him, though, I think in his mind he's God's fool, He's a holy fool. Those are also terms to describe like prophets, right, So I think he sees himself as a prophet where it's single minded, he's going to seem illogical, but but he is there too in a sense. It's like Old Testament Holy of Holies, and he is this prophet who has access to it, and he's being this conduit between the divine and regular people. And for him, everything else probably is extraneous. Everything else in the world is extraneous. This is his purpose, this is why he's been put on this earth. He and you know, in terms of modernity, yeah, I think that part you're talking about. He says something like their capacity for faith has atrophied, and I think that's you know, that's what concerns him is not so much that whether or not he has a job, but that these are lost people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And to be clear, it's not about the job, it's about Yeah, what we were referring to in the opening scene, this is his calling.
Speaker 3: His calling. Sure, absolutely, if there.
Speaker 2: Are people who are willing to venture into the zone and go to the room, he can't fulfill his calling, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but won't.
Speaker 2: There always be people who feel that need to go because there will always be unhappy people, won't there always be.
Speaker 3: Lost there souls. Maybe he's referring to, you know, the willingness to address that unhappiness by seeking the room, because I mean, Lord knows, there's a million ways to address that unhappiness, which a lot of those ways lead to more unhappiness, and he may feel like, here's here's a difficult way, a challenging way, a surrendering way, but it's a way that can actually bring hope and comfort. And so what he's bemoaning there is that he believes he has a way to address it, and by negating that, denying that it's even a possibility, that's the tragedy. That's the tragedy for him. Maybe I don't know. So wait now I'm gonna throw you a quick question, what's with the dog with that? And well, maybe a listener will help us, because a listener was kind enough to help us with the horses at the end of Andre Rubelev Yeah, I forget their name, but had a very thoughtful, reasonable explanation that, you know, these peaceful horses that are the last shot are a counter to the horses in physical strikeing we saw throughout the film, which I think made a lot of sense. But there's this dog that appears in the zone, and I guess the Stalker takes home, yeah, with him, but he also seems to appear. The dog also seems to appear in visions. Right, I don't know. I got nothing on it.
Speaker 2: Well, all I got is I like the touch that the dog being there at the end does at least signal that everything we saw before it actually happened.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, there's a world where there's a link.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't know how much of this is potentially in someone's head. Is it a fever dream? How long has he been gone? We still don't really know how long they've been gone, but we do at least know that they were gone and they somehow got back.
Speaker 3: Because the dogs there. That helps, right, that helps?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, stalker is currently streaming on the Criterion Channel and on Max. It's also available VOD next week. The final film in our Tarkovsky Marathon, nineteen eighty three's Nostalgia. That one is available VOD on most platforms. More about the marathon at filmspotting dot net slash Marathons. If you have any comments about the show, we'd love to hear from you, feedback at filmspotting dot net. Josh, that is our show.
Speaker 3: If you'd like to connect on social media, Adam and the show are on Instagram and Facebook and letterboxed. He's at film Spotting. You can find me in those places as Larsen on film. We are independently produced and listeners supported. You can support the show by joining the film Spotting Family at film spottingfamily dot com. You can listen early and ad free. You'll get a weekly newsletter, monthly bonus episodes, and access to the entire show archive. If you're looking for show to shir or other merch go to film spotting dot net slash.
Speaker 2: Shop available now streaming in VOD. Deaf President Now That's on Apple TV plus a documentary about a nineteen eighty eight protest at a Washington DC university that's the world's only university for the death and heart of hearing. Our friend Maria Gates calls it a firebrand historical documentary that is as crowd pleasing and informative as it is innovative and inclusive. It won the south By Southwest Audience Award out wide. Final Destination Bloodlines the sixth in the series, but the first since twenty eleven's The Not So Final Destination. I added the Not So Josh Hurry Up Tomorrow The Weekend is a musician plagued by insomnia, pulled into an odyssey with a stranger played by Jenna Ortega who begins to unravel the very core of his existence. Sounds like Tarkowski Very Kogan stars. It's directed by Trey Edward Schultz, who made Soavognesha and Waves and It Comes at Night. In limited release, this one seems to be getting some good buzz. Friendship, starring Tim Robinson as a suburban dad who falls hard for his charismatic new neighbor played by Paul Rudd.
Speaker 3: Just saw this today and can add to the positive reviews, though I also have to give a warning. First off, this thing is really weird. I mean it's I don't know what I still don't know what the tone is, but it's committed to it and it at least has a firm control of it. The one warning I would give folks is it's way more a Tim Robinson movie than a Paul red movie. So I'm sure a fan of the series, I think you should leave with Tim Robinson. You'll probably get a lot out of this if you're going to it for a lighthearted Paul Rudd buddy Rop not so much.
Speaker 2: In addition to talking about Tarkovsky's Nostalgia, next week, we're going to get nostalgic with Richard Linklater's Before Films. We will talk about Before Sunset as part of our Pantheon project, and we will share our film Spotting fest Q and A. Talking about Before Sunrise. I think we were kind of delirious that Sunday morning at the music Box. Did we actually even capture this audio?
Speaker 3: We'll have to see, Thank good, as Scott Tobias was there to carry most of the weight.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Film Spotting is produced by Golden Joe to Soo and Sam van Holgren. Without Sam and Goldenjoe, this show wouldn't go. Our production assistant is Sophie Kempenard special Thanks to everyone at wb eazy Chicago. More information is available at wbeazy dot org. For film Spotting, I'm Josh Larson.
Speaker 2: And I'm Adam Kempinar. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 9: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. The Barn.
Speaker 2: Film Spotting is listener supported. Join the film Spotting Family at filmspotting family dot com and get access to add free episodes, monthly bonus shows, our weekly newsletter, and, for the first time, all in one place, the entire film spotting archive going back to two thousand and five. That's a film Spotting Family dot com panoply