Speaker 1: Hello, everyone, Welcome back to the Hmmer Territory Podcast. It's this episode four one five. My name is Brad Roland. It's a Wednesday evening and I'm joined by Scott Coleman. Scott, it's an All Star break. It's time to rest, but here we are podcasting.
Speaker 2: How are you hello, Brad? That's right. The podcast rests for no one. The players get a very earned four days off. I hope they are having an opportunity to just kind of get away from baseball. I think we would all agree that the All Star Break came at the perfect time for the Braves. Of course, a rough couple of weeks going into the break, but hopefully a good chance to hit the reset button, get back on track, get back to winning baseball games, and as we're going to talk about on the show tonight, hopefully an opportunity in the near future to reinforce this roster for sure.
Speaker 1: And we also had a show yesterday from our guys Sean and Steven, some extra All Star Break content you and I talked on Sunday. So if everybody missed those episodes, good Tomic subscribe catch up on those in the past, and of course today we are engineered by Fast and All as always, and I actually want to throw it back to you, Scott. I am the de facto host most of the time when you and I talk, but I'm going to make you do this because it's your idea the show, which people probably already saw the headline out other probably an idea of what we're going to talk about, but explain to folks what our goal is on this episode.
Speaker 2: So the idea of this episode is maybe not necessarily to run through fifty names of players of you know, identifying what it would cost to acquire X and player Y, but kind of the archetypes of players the Braves really need to try to acquire in the next three weeks before the deadline.
Speaker 1: I will hold.
Speaker 2: Firm that even though the last month has been challenging, and yes there are big holes on this roster, there are still some really strong components of this team that should play up well in October should we get there. I really don't think it's going to require like a massive amount of maneuvering from Alexanthopolis in the next few weeks. I think there's clear needs and we're going to talk about the ways they can be addressed in this episode, but there are still a lot of things this team can do well that kind of generally translate pretty well when October baseball comes and the games do change. Whether you want to admit it or.
Speaker 1: Not, Yeah, definitely, And you know there are just to say this out loud, there are other things that Braves could do. This is going to be like the only thing that Braves could do. But I think that in basically five easy steps is the way we're kind of framing this to fix the Atlanta Braves will go through some of them in general, And yeah, like you said, more archetypal than anything else, you want to dive right into the first one. Let's just go ahead and do that, shall we. It's one that you and I have talked about probably more than anything over the last NIUS this season, since November October September, since the phrase were out of it last year, and that is that they need more pitching, and in particular, really a number two starting pitcher like non Chris Sale. Chris Sales number one obviously, but that's they kind of need a number two starter. Is that? Is that a reasonable thing to say that they need to fix in between now and post deadline.
Speaker 2: They really do. And just for a housekeeping note, the deadline this year is August third, so it's a few days later than it usually is. Probably gives some of them, by the way, it's just yeah, why you know, pushing the deadline back a little bit probably makes sense with how many teams you're going to be in the playoff push with the expanded playoffs, but it also is another three agonizing days that we all have to wait around and see what's going to happen. But I mean very clearly, captain, obviously they have to add a reliable number two starter for the postseason push and the playoffs. And as a reminder, while you might need five starters to get to the postseason, you don't need five starters in October. You need two, maybe three. I mean, famously, in twenty twenty one, the Braves road Max Freed and Charlie Morton and they sprinkled in a little bit of Ian Anderson and some bullpen games. Obviously it resulted in a World Series. So yes, it'd be awesome if they can go out and acquire three aces over the next couple weeks. I don't really think that's a realistic outcome, but if they can just add one, like one really reliable, tried and true, give the ball to them in game two of a playoff series. You're gonna feel good about it. Obviously, it's only gonna help you in August in September try to win the division and maybe get that first round by But very clearly the number one priority for me is adding an impact starter to slot in behind Chris Sale.
Speaker 1: Yes, and look, we'll talk about later. There are pathways to just bludgeoning things. Like your offense could be so good that you could overcome the pitching loows. That's been the case that Tomas in the past, of the Braves and twenty three in particular, when they had this all time great offense. And they need offense too. It's not like we're gonna say that they only need pitching. But you know, it's not a secret how decimated the protection has been. It was kind of foreseeable, even though it's been worse than even we expected it to be. I gotta be honest with you about that. It's god even worse than we thought. But yeah, they need this, and look there's also trickle down effects. The bullpen's awesome, but you can also strengthen it by adding another big time arm because you have a lot of guys. Honestly, this is one of the bright sides. They have a lot of guys that could go to the bullpen that are starters in theory, your great Holmes types. Smith Shaver could be one of those, like obviously a hard thrower we've already seen Jr. Rich you do it a little bit, maybe owen Murphy down the lot, et cetera, et cetera, so where everything so just feels so much better instantly if you added I'll let you pick a name of to you know, you know what. I'll say your name and I'll make you pick out of one. Sonny Gray is always Scott's name, so I'll just say Sonny Gray's name out loud. If it's not Sunny Gray, sue me. But like that archetype of guy would just make everything slide into place so much easier.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: That's kind of a theme of night's show is Yes, they do acquire a player, and that would help, but in all of these situations there is a trickle down effect of acquiring starting pitching and spoiler alert, acquiring a couple of bats, which we're going to talk about in the next segment, it really does. So let's say hypothetically they acquire Joe Ryan from the Twins, or they go out west and get Reed Debt Meers from the Angels, or if Boston sells, they get Sonny Gray, or if Detroit sells, Trek Skuball or Casey Meyes or a name we haven't talked about a lot, but I was looking into as Kevin Gosman from the Toronto Blue Jays, of course, an old friend of the Braves. Well, even if it didn't go super well, Basically, ever since Gosman left Atlanta, he's been an ace type of pitcher. Regardless of what number two starter you add. You could send Grant Holmes to the bullpen, and I think I speak for all of the hosts on this podcast and a lot of fans, I'd be encouraged and excited to see what Grant Holmes could do in a full time bullpen roll, where he could be a hybrid arm, he could be an opener, he could be a multi inning guy, he could be a righty specialist. So there's adding just a couple of players to this roster really does make one through twenty six.
Speaker 1: Look a lot better.
Speaker 2: And hopefully, I mean obviously Alex and Thopless isn't a dummy. He knows this too.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's not like they need to go out and acquire eight players in the next three weeks in order to accomplish everything we're going to talk about.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the It's hard, and you know, I've tried to shy away from like this giant shopping list, like you know, we're doing it try. We're trying to be responsible on this episode even constructing these these five ways to help kind of fix the Braves. But at the same time, a couple of them are combinations that they could kind of do to make things easier because the one thing that Alex has done consistently over the last couple of years at the deadline is add relievers, and ironically that's what they kind of don't need right now, is a reliever. Like you can ever have too many relievers. So if there's somebody that they can get for cheap, then I'm not going to be against it, But I think I'd rather go to this obviously clear by go to the star route and then maybe slot in someone like hold Smith shov into a relief role to help maximize things in October. But I mean it's like you said, captain obvious is maybe the term, and we're not breaking any ground here, but we've been saying it since at least November. Scott. They need a real starting pitching edition. They always have needed a one, and it's even more clear now and they've got three weeks left to find one.
Speaker 2: And the real question for me is what kind of starting pitcher is it going to be? From a contractual perspective, right like Sunny Gray is very likely going to be a rental, Derek Scougble, Casey Maize rentals, Kevin Gosman rental. On the other hand, Joe Ryan has a year and a half of control. More than likely he has kind of an interesting contract setup, but very likely you'll have Joe Ryan for the rest of this year and all of next year. Ryan has been phenomenal with the Twins for multiple years at this point. Read debtmers is an interesting name under control even longer than that, I believe for the next two and a half years, although Debt Meres has really struggled over the last few weeks, so we'll see if the Angels ultimately sell and of course there's going to be others. Jose Soriano from the Angels is another popular name, and really it just comes down to who is selling and who is buying at the deadline. I guess if you're a Braves fan, you are rooting for these kind of fringe contenders, especially in the American League, to lose. And that's kind of the opposite of what happened before the break. We want the Tigers to lose, we want the Red Sox to lose. We want teams that might buy, might sell. We want those teams to lose because then you just have more sellers in the market, and that, in theory, will probably help suppress the trade values that you're going to have to give up, because to be clear, if you're going to acquire one of these shouting pitchers, you're going to have to give up some real prospect capital in order to make it happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to change on a daily basis. I mean, we're talking about Wednesday night.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The games will happen until Friday. But some of this stuff has shifted, at least in theory, because of teams winning a bunch and like maybe convincing themselves not to sell. And that's why the like you said before, the date being pushed back only a few days actually might change things. Is in sales that might sound you might have a team convince themselves that they shouldn't sell or should sell based on a week of sample. I mean, the Mets are way out of it. Like we talked about Freddy Peralta on a recent show, he could be on this list too. It's all kinds of names to varying degrees of contract of effectiveness of big names and big dollars, and the breaks up might have spend and we've filled all out before, but it really is the priority. It's probably number one. And then there's a reason why I was number one on this list, because we all understand that's what they have to do at some point.
Speaker 2: Hey, I will take a Chris Sale and good number two starter and put that up against anybody, you know, like the Phillies have a dominant one two with Wheeler and Sanchez, and the Dodgers can throw out really good arms. The Brewers have a really good one two punch, like you know it so often it comes down to starting pitching in October, and if you can have a dominant one two that you can ride and hopefully get to the finish line and be healthy. The entire way, I would take Sale and one of those names against basically anybody, and hopefully you have a bullpen that continues to perform. And as we're going to talk about here in a minute, the lineup will be a little better, a little more consistent with the additions that we're going to talk about. But I still feel, in my heart of hearts, maybe I'm a blind optimist rose colored glasses. I still think this team, although it does have holes, and although they have played poorly for the last month, I just have to think there's enough here to kind of get the ship back on track and really have a chance to make some noise in October.
Speaker 1: We're Alma, say, Page, and if they can find someone to approximate the late prime version of Charlie Morton that you referenced earlier from twenty twenty one, that would be all they need. Sale that guy and figure the rest out. I feel pretty good about that. But they have to get that guy, and we'll see if they're able to in the next three weeks, all right, Scott. In a second, we'll dive into more of our ways to fix the Braves. But first it is now time for Daily Dinger is presented by FanDuel all Right, Scott, we want to spotlight a player real quick on this fan duel segment today and collective we decided, how about Ozzie Albis. Ozzie has not had like this like crazy stretch lately. He was hot early, he had kind of a down turn after that, but he just played in the All Star Game on Tuesday. He's having a very very nice season. Is he in his absolute prime?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: But you remember when we talked at least briefly about the consideration that they might decline Ozzie's team option. We landed on NOA on that this winter, but they we talked about it, and that would have been very silly. He has already well surpassed what he needed to do to earn his team option and shots to Ozzie Alby's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, great story for Ozzie. I mean, I'll raise my hand. I was nervous and concerned after a pretty poor couple of years from Ozzie, from his once lofty standards and really an impressive player. You know, he had a little bit of a downturn in May, but since then he's been really, really good. And of course, if you turned back the calendar to opening day, Ozzie hit a first inning home run to begin the season against the Kansas City Royals. So let's pick as the Braves get back out for the I guess official start of the quote unquote second half, Let's say that Ozzy once again leads the boys out there, hits an early inning homer and just let's you know, makes a statement on the first game of the second half.
Speaker 1: Yes, so officially we are taking a joint pick this time around. On Friday, Ozzie Albeats is our daily Diinger pick for the opener to the quote unquote second half for the Braves on Friday, and the will be season is of course in full swing. If it was giving me a chance to call your shot. With daily dingers joining the action is easy. Just make a free pick who's gon to hit a home run in the game. If you're right, you get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. There's another reason why fandel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast, Optive Daily Dingers. Make your free pick who's going to hit a home run? Playball? It's playing for the Fence. Don Fandel and official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: No purchase necessary, opten required. Bonus is shoot as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 4: Big second app of the season coming up. There might be a hot ticket, a rivalry series, a sold out experience they need to get your hands on, and Sea Geek is the spot for that. You can find good good pricing. They help you with the pricing Green dot good, red dot not as good. And they help you with your view of the seat for some big matchups coming up in August, September and eventually leading up to playoffs.
Speaker 5: Why would you not use seekek if you want a view from your seat. You want to know if it's a good seat, if it's a good deal. It has all of it on the app.
Speaker 1: It's easy to use.
Speaker 5: It's one click boom you buy the tickets, they send them right to you get them on the app, and then you can go check out whatever game whatever you're a fan of. If you can go to, whether it's baseball, whether it's concerts, whatever you're into, you can find a ticket and you can always try to find the green dot.
Speaker 4: And for MLB tickets, you can get ten percent off with that promo codever running all season long. Territory one zero. That's territory ten off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can.
Speaker 1: Use it later. Okay, Scott, let's dive back in to our extensive plan to fix the Atlanta Braves, a plan that you are solely responsible for. One Scott Coleman is responsible for this plan, and I'll tell Alex at the end of the podcast that he can follow it just one by one. We led with the starting pitcher acquisition number two starter biggest need number two on the list. How about the need for a left handed bat, either in the outfield or at DH. How about that from I think that's kind of been maybe underdiscussed, maybe maybe more lately from us, but it's kind of a need, especially in the Donald Smith is very ordinary era of baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, as good of a story as Smith was early in the year, he's he's come on hard times since late April. He's hitting two twenty four and ops in like five hundred's and a sixty three WORC plus for Dom Smith. And the problem with that, of course, is that Dom Smith is in there basically every single night against right handed pitching as the team's primary DH. So to say it pretty bluntly, that's not good enough. You need a better hitter. I think ideally is we're going to talk about they need to add both a lefty bat and a righty bat, ideally in the outfield, and we'll get into the reasons why. But I guess at the end of the day, I will take the best bat period that they can acquire and figure out the rest between playing time with the DH and all that. But for me, I think the number two priority is pretty clearly a left handed bat for the middle of this order.
Speaker 1: There is a debate you could have between lefty bat and righty bat, so we'll kind of maybe combine these two together, and I think I'm on your side. Think lefty bad is probably the higher priority because of the way the lineup shakes out. Because even even when they have even when they have Yaz, who I think has been like a little bit undervalued, like he's not he hasn't been good, but he's been playable, you still can You still probably did another one. So that's why it leans this way. Like with the righty bat you could at least talk yourself into the fact that they are going to have Ronnie Back and you're gonna have Sean Murphy at some point and if you care about that, But with the Dallas Smith era coming to a hopeful close based on what he's done so far, the DuPont On angle, like having Duban be able to play shortstop at some point would be very helpful. Even if I'm not not to knock Jim Jarvis, but I'm going to assume that probably he's not a Fultiason solution. Maybe I'll be wrong. I'd happy. I'd be happy to be wrong if Jim Jarvis was awesome. I just usually bet against this kind of thing continuing. So yeah, I'm with you. Left handed bad is massive and were talking about names. If you want to, we don't. I mean, it's not that hard. On the bright side of this, mar say this out loud, it actually shouldn't be that difficult to find this player. Yeah, like a non star. No one's saying that they have to add a star Latana bat at DH. But like typically in a lot of times, it's a cornfielder basically like a first basement type like Dom Smith. Honestly, like you can find the better version of Don Smith for not that much money and not that much prospect capital if you want to go that route, because you know a lot of teams have their version of Matt Olsen, then maybe have their guy be blocked and the DH only types are valuable until they're not you know what I mean, Like they don't have a ton of utility, but on this team, they just need another guy who can hit right handed pitching, and that's what we're asking for essentially totally.
Speaker 2: And for me, the reason I would ideally like to add at least one outfield there is a couple of reasons. You outlined them, but let's just quickly hit them one more time. I love Ronald d'acunye Junior, whenever Ronald'cuye Junior is in the Braves lineup, I there's a real chance that he's going to single handedly win the baseball game for them. We saw that in Cincinnati, we saw that at Fenway Park. The guy is a remarkable talent. But I don't know how you can bank on Ronald to stay healthy at this point, which is very sadly kind of where his career is at. So if you add a left handed outfielder, one who can play the corners, you give yourself a little bit of Ronald Dcunya junior insurance, whether that be a full time replacement or if Ronald needs to miss a couple of weeks, you don't feel like you have to run at current either some mixture of like Eli White or you know, we talked about Dubon being out there. Basically, Dubon's been a full time outfielder lately. It would be terrific if you could get Dubon as a full time shortstop. I mean, we talked about killing two birds with one stone with a starter, moving one of like Grant Holmes to the bullpen. This kills two birds with one stone, because not only do you add a bat for your either outfielder DH but then you very likely make it a situation where Mauricio Dubon can play shortstop every single day, or god forbid, if there's an injury to Ozzie at second or we won't do the Austin Riley conversation.
Speaker 1: But if he is needed at third.
Speaker 2: Base, you basically don't need Dubon in the outfield anymore. And that's genuinely valuable.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, it's been huge. It's probably a storyline that we could make more of. Dubon is not some great hitter, but the fact that he's been able to play the outfield has been huge. His versatility was something we lauded when they made the trade over the winter. But like, he is best suited to play shortstop. If you have to play him somewhere because it's bad, it is not a great bad. I know he's been clutch, but he's not some huge back guy, so having him at shortstop is helpful, especially in the wake of Bhasan Kim ongoing fiasco. We'll see what he looks like when he comes back, But yeah, I'm with you, even the potential to almost says a second ago. But like Ronnie could probably dache every once in a while, like probably should. I've long thought he should probably dch more. To be honest, especially at this point. It won't stop the injuries. I'm not claiming that, but it is less wear and tear if the guy is just dhing. There's been plenty of studies on this that the injury risk probably goes down a little bit if he dh is more and then plays the outfield. Sure, anyway, long story short, and Ryan's bat actually plays out. But think about someone like like Dubon. You don't want Dubon DH. The whole reason to have Maurice to Dubon is because his club's going everywhere. He's not a DH quality bat. So if you can get someone who could DH for you credibly that can play a cornyitfield spot, that's the best combination. Basically, it's what you're looking for. Sure, it's an upgrade of multiple boys.
Speaker 2: Can I throw out just one name? We won't run through ten options. I mean, truthfully, there's a lot of options out there. But you know a name that I've really come to like as I've looked into him is JJ Blede. You know, of course, Blade is maybe a familiar name to Braves fans because he killed the Braves.
Speaker 1: That crazy series it gets It's a crazy series against the break this year.
Speaker 2: I remember tweeting on that Sunday afternoon It's like, dear God, quit pitching to this guy because every time he hits the ball it goes five hundred feet. So blade is having a fantastic year with the Cincinnati Reds, who are very very likely to sell. Bladey does not make a ton of money, so as you're thinking about maybe adding an expensive starting pitcher, you have to kind of make it all work within the budget, even though you do have a bigger budget than usual. You could acquire Bladey while he's having a good season. He's hitting two forty two, But look beyond the batting average, a three point fifty on base percentage and a four to ninety six slugging So he has an ops of about eight to fifty this year, a one twenty six WRC plus and if you look under the hood, his expected batted ball data is very strong. So for me, Blaeday a lefty, he can play the corners. He could probably stand in center field if you absolutely needed him to. He had a bad month of June, but he's really picked it up again in July. I think Blade makes a ton of sense for this team, and he's kind of a flag plant player for me, where ifin three weeks, if I say, Alex, go get this player, I think Bladay would be my maybe top realistically obtainable left handed outfield bad.
Speaker 1: He's seventh the best year of his career, which could be a little bit scary. But also even when you look at his career stats, he's always hitting right handed pitching pretty well, which is the primary role of what you'd be going to get here. So yeah, I mean he's twenty eight, so he's not like over the hill. He is cheap. Having a good season profile makes sense. Yeah, I think he also kind of is alex coated because of the underlying data being pretty good. So yeah, I think you're on something there, and we'll see if that comes to fruition. But we're on the same page. We already kind of talked about this a little bit, but our number three thing on this list is the right handed bat version of the lempis. The ability to match up would be helpful. I'm reading your note right here about the right handed bats on the bench right now and it's uh, it's pretty dire. I'll let you say out loud who they have on the bench right now at right handed bats. It's not what you want.
Speaker 2: Right like at the moment, it's Eli White, and Eli White is a fine fitth outfielder, but I don't think in the playoffs you want Eli White getting regular plate appearances.
Speaker 1: Eli White is there, it is we're on a pincher on what he's.
Speaker 2: Say totally, and then you know, Joey Bart has had a couple of moments, but you know, there was a game a week ago where Joey Bart had a ton of high leverage opportunities as a right handed bat. He originally did not start. I think he pinched hit for Dom Smith. We don't necessarily want Joey Bart getting those plate appearances. Who knows what you're going to get from Sean Murphy. I mean, if Murphy wants to show us something great, but it's been a long time since Shawn Murphy did much and he's a defensive first catcher. So even when Murphy's going well, his bat is nothing spectacular. So for me, I think for all the reasons we outlined before adding a right handed bat, whether a DH only type or an outfielder who can platune with the ads you can play the matchups in October, which becomes so important. Really does make a lot of sense, just to give you a little more thump from the right handed side of the plate.
Speaker 1: Right. The only reason I made the point earlier about how I might even lean in writing back first is because it basically comes out of this. Yeas is better than the right handed versions that they have of Yas. That's all. That's the only reason why I even said that, Like, I think Yaz is a starting caliber corner guy against the right handed pitcher. Is he some awesome player? No, but they don't. They don't even they don't have that version of Yaz from the right side like Eli White is not that. With apologies to Eli White, Yas is considerably better hitter than Eli White. It's not particularly close. So either way, I would like to see this. Maybe it's even easier to get the right handed version of this. There are probably more names mentioned. I know there's been a lot of talk about Joe Adell on this podcast feed from I think all three of you in the last couple of weeks that I've listened to from from Afar, interesting name. He's not the only one that I would mention by any means, but they have some the abilities like cornerwile field and DH types right handed bats. You can find one somewhere. And honestly, the bar, as much as this is kind of sad, the bar is very low because if if all you're trying to do is upgrade on the Eli White deep bench spot, that bar is not high to clear off.
Speaker 2: On offense, right, It's you know, in some ways, it's similar to twenty twenty one where none of the four outfielders Alex acquired, where superstars are having great years, but they all uniquely did things well, and that's sometimes what you need in the aggregate. You can really improve a position on your roster by adding, you know, a couple players the left of you Hits Rileys And I'm just like, I'm just remembering that now it's five years ago, you and I do with this podcast. Five years ago, the Braves literally had zero, like zero outfielders.
Speaker 1: The week of the deadline, they had literally nobody in the outfield. As crazy as that is, the team that won the World Series, they have nobody to play the outfield, no one. I'm the Romnster.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's why I sorry and well, and this is a small tangent, but I roll my eyes when Braves fans say, well, this team can't win a World Series in the last thirty five years. Think about it, the ninety five Braves and the twenty one Braves. We're either of those two teams, like clearly the greatest Braves rosters on paper, they weren't even close.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've got yelled this before, but like the twenty twenty one Braves were not close to the best team of this last decade or the Braves, they just weren't. They just happened to be the best when it mattered at the right time, which is fine. Flags Fly Forever we celebrated. I slawed the audio recording of about podcast we did after they won the World Series. But like team quality wise, yeah, there's a reason why, and I lament it to some degree too, But the playoffs are pretty random, men, they just are. You gotta get in the dance, you gotta have talent to get there. And yeah, Eddie Rosario found religion for three weeks and great, that was a fun thing that we have to winness Horace Hilary to the same thing. But like those guys, to your point, were not some huge blockbuster editions. They were guys who had been able to like hit in the past. But like if you compared those guys to JJ Bilde, it isn't much different as far as like what they were at the time of the acquisition. So, and just one more note on this on all first of twenty twenty one, the Berets are fifty two fifty five.
Speaker 2: Right, You never know, right, Like what if what if Alex doesn't go out and acquire those guys at the twenty one deadline, They're sure not winning the world.
Speaker 1: They don't win, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And one more point then we'll move on from the hitter conversation. You know you mentioned Joe Adell. Spencer Steer is another popular name. He's a teammate of JJ Bledez. Maybe they could do it two for one type of thing. But the idea is to get a right handed hitter who can hold his own against right handed pitching but mashes lefties because you can guarantee you're going to see good left handed starting pitching and good left handed relievers laden games in the playoffs and even in September, as teams really match up and games take on more importance. It's just such a valuable weapon to have valuable hitters on both sides of the plate, off the bench that you can deploy whenever the time calls for it, and hopefully Alex is able to go out. I think at least one hitter if he only adds one left handed outfielder. Okay, be thrilled about it, but I'll say that's a step in the right direction. But you know, to acquire Spencer Steer or Joe Adell, it's not gonna cost you Eric Cartman and Kim Kemminetti. It's gonna cost you somebody who's ranked fifteenth in the farm system, and that's just something you have to do, for sure.
Speaker 1: I agree strongly. I think it has not been discussed by us as much as the irrotation. They do have to add a bat of some kind. Yeah, Like, I think that's not even up for debate. I mean, you could say, maybe it needs to be one and a half bats. Maybe it's like one real bat and one low cost platoony bat. That's that's probably what I would be looking for realistically, is like one real addition and one cheaper Eddie Rosario type, not Eddie Rosario now, but like that kind of guy back then, like a clear platoon player who just happened to be, you know, just a upgro down what they had. That's what I'd be looking for a bat and a half. But they got to do that, it might say, like a long list. I'm sure we'll get comments to say, well, the Braves ever do anything? Well, they almost always do. They didn't they didn't last year. But anyway, all right, Scott, in a second, we will round this out with our fourth and fifth versions to improve the Braves, fix the Braves, one might say, by the end of the season first though, or from our friends at Fastenal. Today's episode is sponsored by Fastenal and Fastenal FMI vending technology, the ultimate tool management solution for the job site. Just like a clubhouse knows who's using which bats, Fastenal vending machines track tool usage in real time, so nothing walks off between ships and everything gets returned at the end of the day. With built in accountability and automated inventory control, fasten All Vending cuts down on loss, downtime and those everyday tool headaches that slow teams down, fastenal FMI vending technology, keep your operation organized, efficient and always ready for the next shift. Scott would come to nearing the end of this fix all for the braves, and this kind of related to number one, and that is we believe that braves need a second starting pitcher question mark like it would be helpful to have more than one, if only to just eat some innings. Is that is that the premise here in your mind just like get them too October more so than actually October.
Speaker 2: Right, So look, if they want to be greedy and they want to add two of those impact starters that we talked about at the beginning, great love it, sign it. Yeah, But I think because it's going to be a seller's market and you have to be realistic about the number of prospects that they're going to want to give up to give themselves a chance in October, I think even just like a boring innings eater makes a lot of sense. So let me let me throw a name at you, Brad. This is the guy who's been around for a long time. It's Robbie Ray. So Robbie Ray is on the giants. The giants are dead. They're going to sell. They would love to get off of Robbie Ray's contract because he makes a lot of money. Robbie Ray is a pending free agent. He's got about eight million dollars left on his contract, and that's money the Braves could eat. Maybe they eat some of it, maybe they eat all of it. But you know what, sure, you're not giving Robbie Ray the ball in Game one. And to be clear, he's not having a great year. But even like, look at his numbers since June first, he has an unsustainable one point eight four ERA. He's not a one point eight really starter going forward, but he has a three point seven FIP and an x FIP of five because he basically has not given up any homer. So look, that's fine like that, and most importantly here, Robbie Ray is averaging more than six innings per start this year. We know right now the Braves are in like they're saying a prayer that they can get through five innings on any given night other than Chris Sales starts. So the idea of adding a reliable veteran who can eat innings for you, He can take the ball every fifth day like a Robbie Ray or a similar veteran to me, makes a lot of sense to get you to October and then you kind of see where everything is at.
Speaker 1: I don't think it. Just just to be clear, you're not saying Ray as the number the primary acquisition, just to be very clear. It's like, probably Ray is the second acquisition to fill out the endings acquisition. And I agree. I think he makes a lot of sense given the team that he's on, given the money he makes, giving the Braves ability to spend some actual cash because of the profile thing and everything else. We talked about a million times exact kind of potential target. We don't know anything about that as far as the intel side of things there, but just a good idea and look that they need. Pitching volume is not the issue as far as having options, right just to name you want to you want to read name Scott, I'm going to read some names. Yeah, this lengthy.
Speaker 2: This is a lengthy list at this point the brisk of a lot of have a lot of pictures, So like this is the this is the problem. We were getting this in November December, like people just said these these long lists and it's like, Okay, they do have a lot of pictures. You got Ronald Lopez, Elder, Martin Perez Jr. Richie, Owen Murphy, Hirston Waldrip a ms Shliver and then the two Spencers, if either one of them pitch at some point. That's a lot of guys. I'll grant that.
Speaker 1: And the problem is out of that list only Ronald Lopez has looked decent in the last month. Maybe, I mean the guys who's pitching really well early, Bryce Elder and Martin Perez have fallen on hard times in recent days. Elder for longer than Perez, but Perez has had the run. Might be over for Martin, and then the young guys like maybe yeah, maybe Owen Murphy will be great, Like he's gonna start this weekend. I hope he does great, but it's obviously a giant question mark. The Spencers are question marks. Waldrop's already gone back down. He is a talented arm but I was not a lock. So all that said, like they they, as much as it might sound crazy without a list that long, getting to October, having some stability is not the worst thing. Like how many times in the last month plus, Scott, have we looked at the rotation and be like who's gonna start on Friday? Like that's happening so often, and they all they have a solution. And when I say solution, it's like, oh, there's a name that somebody knows, like Owen Murphy is in name. People knew he's a prospect that matters. But like that isn't a proven solution. That's a guy that like people recognize the name, not because he's ready. He might be ready, we'll see, but like I don't know, man, it's I'm sure people will be like, wow, you guys are want two pictures now, Like they may not do two pictures. No one's saying that they're going to do this, but I kind of with you. It would be nice to have two I mean right now they could certainly use too. Look at the rotation right now, like if you take out Elder and Perez because they've not pitched well recently, Like, man, there's not a lot of stability. They're just not No, there's not.
Speaker 2: And you know, again, if you add a second starter, you can utilize these guys in the bullpen. And I know there's this hesitancy to push some chips in, but you know what, man, this is an old roster, Like this corps is quietly getting pretty old, you know, like you look at it. Mettalson's not getting younger. He's on the wrong side of thirty. Acunia is not getting any healthier, he's you know, twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Well, Riley, it's the contract with Ronnie too, Like that's I mean, that's the unspoken to endo Ry has always been hurt recently, but there is a very credible and this is just not even just in Atlanta. There's a national thing. I've the Braves need to try to win while Ronnie is under contract because he may not be back after he's not under contract anymore, and he's only one player. But like the Riley thing is gonna get worse maybe, I mean, we don't know what's gonna happen there. He's signed forever, but he's not gonna get any younger. You're right, I mean even Ozzy, Ozzy's a guy who's not like old. But Ozzie's profile is a five to five guy, Like is he gonna be good at thirty two? Probably? Not like Chris Sale is old, like they russa Iglesias is old. They really do, Like this is a window. I'm not saying it's this year or nothing. But if there was ever a team to like push it in, this is kind of exactly the team, right.
Speaker 2: And let's flash. Let's say the Braves make the playoffs, they win, they win the nl DS, through in the NLCS, and they see the Mighty Dodgers. Don't you wish that you would be able to give this team as good of a chance as you could by reinforcing it at the deadline, because after August third, you're basically done. Like there's like weird like waivers and all that. Like every now and then a player can sneak through depending on the circumstance, but for the most part, your players are your players on August third. So to me, I'm not I'm not saying that you give up Eric Hartman to try to go get Derek scouble and and you unload the top eight prospects in your system. But as we're talking the idea of getting a good number two starter, which is gonna cost something, I don't think it's gonna cost Eric Cartman and you know, four other good names, but you know costs something getting a left handed bat, a right handed platoon bat, and then an inny someone like Robbie Ray who makes a lot of money. That's not going to cost you a ton, but it does give you a much better chance to not only make the playoffs, but just be able to match up and give yourself the best punching chance you have against the Dodgers and their five hundred million dollars payroll, or the Phillies who have just been a playoff nemesis for years, or the Brewers, who are such a good baseball team who are probably gonna do some serious buying, or the Cubs have some talent, you know, like give yourself a chance to make a run and see where the chips fall.
Speaker 1: We are totally in agreement there. And also we've talked about it because this is the theme of the show. Use the money, like, use the money to your advantage. It's not only that you could take on bigger salaries, but you can take on money maybe that some team doesn't want to have and keep your prospects haul down as a result of that. There's, i mean the blessing in disguise you want to do it that way of the profar thing is that that that's an eight figure chunk of money that they don't have to spend it. They had not spent yet. And I'm pretty sure the way that Alex has always talked about it is that he gets a big number at the beginning of a season from his bosses and this is like, hey, this is what you're allowed to spend. I promise you. The Braves have not reached that number or anywhere close to that number, given the profile give it, the profile of it all and everything else. So he always lived his self in big room as well. They got to have They have eight figures of spending power, and that's not for the full season, that's just for the last part of the season, which means you're probing up. They could probably take on twenty five thirty thirty five million dollars in salary, like very easily at the deadline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean use it. Profile alone was fifteen million, and it's really eighteen million because that fifteen million would count towards the luxury tack. So that's eighteen million dollars the Braves had earmarked for jerks and profile. They aren't paying this year, So yes, you're absolutely right use that money to your advantage, and who knows what the future is going to hold. Could Jae Richie be awesome in August and September maybe, or he could be more of the guy who's really struggled with command and has given up hard contact. Could Hurston Waldrip find himself maybe? Or he could be the guy who ranks like dead last in the Majors in command in his ability to throw strikes. A. J. Smith Schafer looks really good, but how is he goan affair after missing fifteen months coming back from elbow surgery. Could Spencer Schwallenbach come back?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Could Spencer Strider come back?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 2: But how effective are those guys gonna be? Spencer Streider wasn't exactly lighting it up before the injury. Do you expect him to just come back and be twenty twenty two Spencer Streider? I sure don't. Again, maybe it's being greedy, Maybe they just aren't going to be able to accomplish all these things. But to me again one more time, it just does not feel like it's going to take heaven and Earth to acquire these types of players that we've talked about, between the prospects they have available to trade and the financial freedom that they have thanks to one Jerks and profar Yep.
Speaker 1: Rom sanpitch for sure, and we will not do anymore on that because we've said a lot about that suff last thing and it kind of rolls up into what we were talking about. The fifth thing on our list to fix the braves is just simply getting healthy. And it might seem obvious, but it's not to some people. I don't know about you, Scott. I don't miss this framing. I really don't. But I do laugh whenever I hear it. And when Ronald mccoton gets back, if someone wants to tell me that it's like making a trade without making a trade, I'll have a big smile on my face. Is it silly, yes? Is it a chip curialism? Yes? But uh it actually that was like, you know what, Ronald Acuter Junior is like better than anybody else that can get right. He's pretty good at baseball if he's himself. We already talked about this. There's no guarantee. I'm not going to tell you that Ronnie is the model of durability. He's not. He clearly is not. But man, he did win the MVP not long ago, and he's pretty good at baseball, and man, having him back at some point soon and for the rest of the season would work wonders in.
Speaker 2: A lot of it really would. And sure, I mean, since Zacuna went down, the Braves are ten and twenty over thirty games. If if Acuna was healthy for that that's not I'm not gonna pretend like they would have gone twenty and ten, but you you'd be silly not to pretend like losing Acunya at the top of the lineup has not been incredibly detrimental to this team. And not just a Kuna, but Robert Swarez. You know, like this bullpen is so much better when you have Suarez guaranteed for basically the seventh or eighth inning, You have a Glaciers in the ninth, you have Dylan Lee, who's been arguably like a top five reliever in the game this year, and then you have everybody else. So you get Akunya back, you get Robert Swarez back. I know half of our listeners are gonna roll their eyes, but maybe you get Sean Murphy back. And Murphy gives you anything on offense, even if he's just like a home run or nothing guy from the right side of the plate. Great, you take it. We mentioned the Spencers. Who knows if you're gonna get anything from them. We mentioned aj smiths Shav, same thing as apply, but just getting healthier, especially Akunya in Swarez or in my eyes, just like Priority one and two. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later. And then if you get things from Murphy or Smith, Shov or either of the Spencers, to me, that kind of feels like the cherry on top, especially if you go out and acquire a couple of guys at the deadline.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I won't do the impassion Sean Murphy case. I won't do it, but I do feel strongly that he is better than Joey Bart So having Sean Murphy back in some form would be an upgrade on that slot. I know Joey Barr had that great game like two weeks ago, but he's been pretty bad if you'll get the numbers, and that spot behind Drack Baldwin has been pretty bad this season even that, But you're right, it's definitely a Cunia number one, Suaz number two, big gap to everybody else, including Murphy, and obviously it'd be great to get something out of any of that Smith, Schav, Schrider, Swallow back trio. I just pitching injuries are are tough, and we know at least we know what we expect on when a Kunya and Sars will be back, and it's not that long from now, Like there's not as much uncertainty. Could they get hurt again, sure, but genuine no one, no one from the Braves will even say the words Spencer s either one will be back this season. Yeah, no one says that. So like it's till someone tells me that somebody that they're on a reab assignment. I'm just gonna be like, you know what, maybe and we'll see. With Akunya it could be a week or two, maybe less, And with Suarez, I'm assuming it'd be pretty soon based on what we've heard. I don't know, man, but those guys are hugely good and Thecunya is more packul than Suarez. But there's a world again where the Braves are carried by the best bullpen in baseball. That is a very possible thing that could happen. I don't want to invoke the night shift on this podcast. We had a lot of twenty twenty one look back, but like that's what happened in that series and in those series, the bullpen was awesome, and the Braves this year have a bullpen that could reach that level. When you look at the talent in the bullpen as Suarez is there, Iglesias Suarez, Dylan Lee and Didier Fuenttees good luck, man, those guys are awesome. So that could be a huge strength when it matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. And again it goes back to just kind of the pieces of this roster that are already in place where you can tell yourself a story that it goes well down the road because they are built well for October, assuming they can get there number one and number two, that they can reinforce this roster and just kind of trim some of the fat and you know, turn turn some of your weaknesses into even You're not going to turn some of your weaknesses into some grand strength over the next three weeks. But just like average production, having an average arty off the bench that you can platoon with Mikey Stremsky and getting some of these guys back healthy, you'll do wonders for the bullpen. In the top of the lineup one more time, We're not asking them to trade their top fifteen prospects to go acquire the ten best hitters and pitchers available at the deadline. I think, I hope this conversation has just shown that if you make these changes and then go pull up the Braves twenty six man roster and remove some of the weakest links and replace them with the players we've talked about tonight, that's a really damn good roster and one I would really have to believe in for the final two months of the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on the prospect thing, before we move on and get out of here, you can take a couple of guys, I'm talking about you the fan, you the front office, take a couple of guys in your head that you might think are untouchable that you don't want to trade. Eric Cartman's the popular name right now. Totally reasonable to be like, hey, I'm not trading this guy. That's a fine place to be for anybody. For me, the bar is super high on that. I've only had a couple like ever that I'm like, I'm not trading him. Rona Kunon Jurnam was one. Maybe Hartman gets there. He's almost there now, like he's been ridiculous, So I get it. But if you want to make a trade for a real guy. It's going to cost you a prospect that you don't want to trade. It just is guys. Like every time I see a fake trade package of like quad a slop for great player, I want to throw my computer out the window. Like, if you're going to trade for Target, so use Tara School, right, he's the biggest name. It won't cost you Hartman because it's a rental. But it's gonna cost you somebody you don't want to trade. I'm just saying it's going to that's just the price you have to payment, Like that's the it is what it is. Just know that right now, if the Britis trade for someone like Joe Ryan, let's use Jo Ryan a year and a half left. It's the British trade for Joe Ryan. Look at the top ten prospect lists from somebody like Gorvadak or whoever you trust the most of the Braves. A couple of those guys are going to be in that trade. Yeah, it's just gonna happen.
Speaker 2: And that's what the prospect. That's what prospects in a farm system are for. There to reinforce your big league team, and they're also so you can make trades and approve your big league team immediately instead of hoping that in three or four years these guys are going to be contributing members. Yeah, there's a time and place to trade your prospects. There's a time and place to hang on to your prospects. Hopefully, whoever they trade in the next three weeks, they won't blow up in their face, And there is certainly that risk that comes with it. But for every trade that blows up in your face and you go, ah, man, I wish we wouldn't have traded that guy, there are many, many more where the prospects never amount to much of anything, and you're like, damn, that was a good trade for us, and it gave us a real chance to win.
Speaker 1: For every mark to share a trade where you and I were young for that, but we remember it very well. It went badly. There is a Vaughan Grissom for Chris Sale trade you can point to as well, where people were People were legitimately mad that the Braves traded Vaughn Grissom for Chris Sale. People were mad about that when it happened. We weren't. People were it's fine, you gotta trade something. I'm not picking on one Grissom, but whatever, this year's example of that player is it will cost you a player. And not that you're root against that guy, but you're you're hoping maybe he doesn't blow up into like a superstar forever, and it's just the cost is gonna be something. That's fine if you're ready to go win and try to win the World Series, like the Braves are trying to win the World Series this year, it might cost you some stuff. That's okay, all right, Scott. The Braves returned to play on Friday. They're facing the Text Rangers. The Rangers are okay. They're a division leading team right now. I saw that and I was like, oh, talk matchup. And then I realized the Rangers are the most five hundred team I've ever seen. Like they're winning to do because the entire American League is like flat right now other than a couple teenths at the top, and the Rangers are Phillies like in their negative run differential and they're like dead in the middle of the pack and offense and dead in the middle of the pack and run prevention and they're just okay. So maybe the Brands can win some baseball games. Starting on Friday.
Speaker 2: Well, they're gonna start with Chris Sale, which always is a good thing. Yeah, Chris will be very fresh coming off the break if you only, of course, through what three innings in Saint Louis and his last start before the rain came, So you feel good. Let's get a win with Chris Sale. Saturday night will be really fun with Owen Murphy said to make his first MLB start. I'm fascinated to know how his won, how his fastball plays multiple times through the order, and also how his secondary stuff works, and if he's able to get big leaguers out more ultiple times. Very interested there. And then on Sunday it'll be Grant Holmes, who has shown some encouraging signs in his last couple of starts. It would be really nice to win a series out of the break. You said it, Well, the Rangers they're okay, They're not a team you're just going to roll over, but they're also a team that at home you should probably take two out of three against. So let's get back to winning series. Start it with the Rangers. Then there's four games at home against the Padres, so the Braves do not have to travel, which is nice, so an opportunity with seven games and seven days beginning Friday, to just kind of get back on the winning side of things.
Speaker 1: Murphy was a first round pick not long ago, and he is twenty two years old, still like he's young. I wouldn't expect him to be awesome, but there's always a chance he can pitch up a little bit. The talent is definitely there, and I am certainly intrigued to watch that. I always love watching Chris Sale, but Murphy on Saturday is one to keep an eye on. And then Grant home on Sunday to round things out Scott Ivan and he happens, we will jump into service. Chance is their last show until Sunday. I'm just saying that out loud because it's the All Star break. We we are delivering people content. We've done three episodes now that's lots on the braces play the baseball game. So we're not short circuiting ourselves. But just in case people should be stay tuned. Anything else to uh plug on social media in case you want to just fire off some takes on Thursday or Friday.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll fire uf some takes if there's a transaction, you know, there was Lance McCullers got traded from Houston to.
Speaker 1: Actually he might be a brave a Braves guy. That was. He was on my longer list only because of the money, like not the whole thing. Again, the Bravees have money to spend and he costs money and nothing else basically, so I was like, I wonder if they would that didn't happen, So yeah, yeah, Brewers, we're now firmly in the We're in the window. Now, we're two and a half weeks away from the deadline. Like stuff can start happening now, that's right. We will see if the Brewers pitching Lab can fix Lance McCullers. But this is not a Brewers podcast, not an Astros podcast, this is an Atlanta Braves podcast. Of course.
Speaker 2: Thank you to everybody for continuing to check out the show even during this break, and as Brad said, we'll be back soon. Whether it's breaking news, we'll have an emergency pod which is always so much fun, and if not, you can as always find us on Sundays when we do our kind of weekly recap show that we have been doing for many years at this point and it should be a let's hope for some Braves wins, and hopefully some Braves transactions here sooner rather than later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're in a decade plus of podcasting together, you and me, which is kind of scary, but here we are. Please subscribe Everybody's Hammer territory anywhere you find your podcasts, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, et cetera. Support our sponsors, Tell your friends about the show. We appreciate it. Stay tuned, and we'll see everybody. Thanks time,