Speaker 1: The content that does the best online is the content that feeds these fears, and that sells people.
Speaker 2: Sell And I know, if we just.
Speaker 1: Got on here every single day and said the most inflammatory stuff and scared everyone and said there's no benefit and it's a bubble and you're gonna everything's a fake and it's you know, we would honestly probably make a million dollars at least. I mean, there are people doing that right that are making that kind of money.
Speaker 3: I'm Laur Siegel, and you're listening to Mostly Human, a tech podcast through a human lens.
Speaker 2: Taylor.
Speaker 3: I've wanted to interview you for so long because I think you cover the edges before they become the center.
Speaker 2: You're also kind of just like in Internet culture.
Speaker 3: You are Internet culture to some degree and have been doing this long before so many others.
Speaker 2: And so anyway, thank you for being on.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, and I think I've.
Speaker 2: Always been looking.
Speaker 3: I'm like, okay, what is There's so many things that I want to talk to you about.
Speaker 2: But something happened last I think.
Speaker 3: It was last week that I was like this screams like a hot take from Taylor Lorenz and that was open AI's backlash for their brand trip with creators, which I think might sound kind of inside baseball to folks who are kind of like, Okay, I'm interested in Ai, Why on earth should I care about like a brand trip for open Ai? But I think it represented something so much larger which you touched on, which is just the disconnect of technology and reality and how that's playing out from an Internet culture standpoint. And Internet culture is culture now, and so no one better than you to talk about it, and I think and kind of what it represents.
Speaker 2: So can you start out a little.
Speaker 3: Bit with just explaining what happened and why the backlash?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so open Ai obviously, Chatchypet launches in twenty twenty two, becomes the fastest growing consumer product of all time, hugely popular product, right, So millions and millions of people are using these tools that they're creating. But there's this disconnect. Especially as these tools become more pervasive, people start to learn who Sam Altman is, they start to have a pr problem on their hands where suddenly people are like, Hey, Chockchipt's amazing, but why is my boss making me use it? Why is there all this say?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: So what happened. Suddenly AI is all over.
Speaker 1: It's invading my life, and like open aiy is this company that I hear about doing all of it. Also, Sam's of course on this media tour. So a few maybe a year ago, six months ago, they decide to kind of engage in this like pr effort. They hire Charles Porch, who's truly like built Instagram into the brand that it is today. He was head of partnerships, like you remember laur probably in the twenty ten, Charles Porch was just getting every single like internet influencer or celebrity on Instagram.
Speaker 4: I guarantee Charles Porch he set up their account.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: This guy is like legendary. So they hire him. They start to build out this like their comms team, their marketing team, and they start to engage with influencers. First they invite a few influencers to some of their sort of corporate developer facing events, and then they decide a couple weeks ago to host their first ever influencer brand trip. And this brand trip was at this like pastoral estate. It was in upstate New York. Everybody had their own kind of beautiful cabin. It was this like really it. I heard people comparing it to Midsomar. Did you see any of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And open ai brings about two dozen influencers up to this beautiful, you know, idyllic landscape and upstate New York where they have this weekend where they do things like bee keeping, hiking, walking. Also some would say getting propagandized about AI. Some would say sort of learning about AI. But they have these sessions where open ai staff is sort of explaining the tools to them and and educating these lifestyle influencers. It's important to note that while open ai has engaged with tech content creators for a while, like developers and sort of developers that also have you know that are sort of vibe coding maybe and they have a platform on TikTok, this is the first time they've really engaged like the lifestyle influencer community. So these are you know, sort of women. One woman that was getting a lot of backlash. She teaches like soft skills, she says, or whatever. But they're they're the one. They're the type of influencers that are going to vlog you know, their experience, and so that's what sort of kicked off the backlash and I think.
Speaker 3: It represented such an important moment in tech and the disconnect with society. You know, well, we've been covering technology like in dog years, like for like one hundred years, you know, for a very long time. And it used to be, at least when I was covering over the last ten years, it used to be very much like, I don't know, like entrepreneurs were like you know, on the on posters in the subway, they were the heroes. Like Silicon Valley was sold as a meritocraphcy like, whereas like you could work hard and if you worked hard enough, you could potentially also build out a multimillion dollar company, and you know, and all of this stuff. And I think that culture, the culture and the viewpoint of that has changed because the reality is very different now.
Speaker 2: And what's been really interesting is.
Speaker 3: To look at I'm going to say this and I sound like an old person, but like how young people are viewing artificial intelligence. And I think, you know, I don't blame them to some degree, right, people booing commencement speakers. You know a lot of people graduating and the jobs that they spent years preparing for might not even exist.
Speaker 2: Right, They're looking at the field no to go ahead.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're right, there is this like huge anti AI sentiment, But I would caution people against thinking it's an age issue, because I think this is something that is affecting broad swaths of the American public, and I think it's something that's terrifying to college graduates, but also the forty five year old with two young kids at home that might lose his job or is being asked to use AI tools that you know are ultimately going to be trained to replace him. Like AI is sort of like infecting every single area of life, and there's a lot of skepticism sort of across the age or ages.
Speaker 3: I would say, yeah, and I think it's a good call out. And when I was looking at this and you did a video that folks should watch because you stated so eloquently like we are not in really kind of like the same moment and time as we were fifteen years ago. Now we're looking at a world where Silicon Valley and politics are really intertwined. When the wealth disparity is growing. You know, I have spent time as you have in Silicon Valley, and there's this bubble and this promise that artificial intelligence and by the way I should get it out of the way, like I love technology, like I'm such a gey gun text.
Speaker 4: That's why we're tech reporters.
Speaker 2: Like so I'm I.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a part of me that that you know, understands innovation and the inevitability of it and what can happen when it works for you. And I remember thinking this after I interviewed Sam Sam Altman, and I remember walking away from that interview thinking that thing that made Sam really special as an entrepreneur back in the day, right like he was you know, he was someone who uh really built out entrepreneurship when he was at y Combinator. He was early and like the mobile landscape of like telling people iPads we're going to be a thing and like so.
Speaker 2: Like not to get like super inside baseball on it.
Speaker 3: But there was something like, really, I want to say, insane about entrepreneurs that they said, this is what the world is going to look like. You're going to sleep in a stranger's home Airbnb, You're going to get in a stranger's car, and we are going to affest the hell out of that, and you just don't see it yet. And to some degree they were correct, right that doesn't mean it didn't come with a lot of complications, right with the rise of social media and the lack of guardrails, et cetera, et cetera. But now it feels to me different because they're promising abundance with artificial intelligence and saying that this is going to be a layer that democratizes healthcare and education, gives personalized education, and helps cure cancer. But if you're in Silicon Valley where they've got AI agents running all the time and doing all their stuff and they're able to kind of sit in the woods sometimes and just enjoy that feels like they're the ones living that future that they're talking about. But increasingly there's a disparity between the reality that we live in, which doesn't mean some of the things they're talking about can't come true and aren't going to help society. But something about this brand trip and this idea of lifestyle influencing when it came.
Speaker 2: To artificial intelligence.
Speaker 3: We're back in the day we used to like love to watch people who had aspirational lives on Instagram. Now I'm tired, you know what I'm saying, And I think and now it feels like the world is on fire. So this is that was my ted talk. You didn't ask for, but I'm for your thoughts on it.
Speaker 1: I think we make a really good point when you say, like, now the world is on fire, right, Like everyone is facing a huge amount of economic anxiety. There's record while disparity, people are concerned about climate change. I live out here in la where we're constantly dealing with the thread of wildfires.
Speaker 4: So are my parents in Colorado? Like it feels tough, right, I.
Speaker 1: Would say, it's you know, we're in the midst of this second Trump presidency where there's lots of chaos.
Speaker 4: So people are struggling in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: And so Rebecca Jennings were at a really great pace in New York Magazine recently. Everything she writes it so good about actually this backlash lifestyle influencers generally overall the lifestyle like influencing industry. What you could sort of build an audience off of in maybe twenty eighteen, which is like living this lavish life like show, you know, driving around with your latte. Like people now are frustrated and angry, and thanks to algorithms, there's a lot higher chance that your content is actually going to end up on somebody's feed, who doesn't follow you, who hates you, who actually has no context about you, who might know that, like actually to get there, like you really had to struggle, and like maybe your life is not perfect. Maybe it was just this couple video. Maybe you just decided to do this one trip, right, I'm sympathetic to that. I talked to one of the creators that went on this trip that was like, ma'am, like I've been this is a young person that's been grinding. It was like, I worked so hard. I'm trying to get a job in tech, like I couldn't, so I built my platform. I finally get this brand trip, and now I'm getting all this backlash, and it's like, I'm sympathetic to kind of everyone involved. But I think what's so interesting to me is like why open ai and this is what I made my video about it too, is like why open ai has kind of become the face and like when we look at sort of like these companies that become symbolic of some larger cultural issue, whether or not it's based in reality, you can even look at something like meta, right, and the way that people are so angry about social media addiction and meta and stuff. Meanwhile, Spotify has far more addictive features on their apps. Spotify actually has less content moderation. Spotify's got short form video, long form video like but there's no moral panic about Spotify because they don't have Mark Zuckerberg at the helm being, you know, saying terrible things like being irresponsible. Right, So I think with Open AI, people are really angry at Sam Altman, and this company has become representative of all of the bad things that AI is doing. And trust me, there's a lot of bad uses of AI right now. So it just seemed frustrating to see these influencers, these life sylen facers coming and putting this like sheen of like come with me to go be keeping as I promote, you know, this company that you probably think is destroying the world, and we're going to do it all amidst climate collapse in this pastoral kind of like beautiful nature scenery. While by the way, we're also the AI industry is like building data centers that are obliterating, you know, potentially our public lands. So I think there's just a lot of contradictions at play there, and when that makes its way onto the Internet, obviously it's like fine, yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean very well put.
Speaker 3: And I think about it and I'm like, you know, if I were to argue the other side, right, I'm like, tech has a real education problem, Like in order for AI to work for.
Speaker 2: Everybody, folks have to understand it.
Speaker 3: And if there's a way in one of the biggest ways, because as we know, traditional media is collapsing, you have the rise of the creator world, which you have been in for a very long time, but that the loudest voices don't necessarily.
Speaker 2: Mean the most credible.
Speaker 3: And so if you're a creator who has the ability to go in and have access to the people creating the technology that is fundamentally for better info worst transforming the world, why.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't you take it? So it's a both and and I think that's like a course nuance on the internet is such a joke.
Speaker 3: But I think, what when you say you talk to some of these influencers who are going there and getting this backlash, it's really important, I think for technology to be able to communicate with the people it is supposed to serve, because the more we divide that, the less these people get a seat at the table.
Speaker 2: I don't know absolutely.
Speaker 1: And I mean, one big problem I have with this AI backlash is like a lot of these people refuse to acknowledge any benefits of this technology. They refuse to acknowledge it. And if you can't acknowledge the benefits of a new technology, you actually can't ensure those benefits are equally distributed or fairly distributed. And that's a huge problem. Grace, I forgot her last name, but there was this one life style influencer named Grace who kind of became the face of the backlash because she actually doubled down publicly and all these people that were like, you know, this is morally wrong. She said, I didn't violate my moral code. You are basically projecting your moral code onto me. I'm not against the concept of AI. I'm not against going into these rooms learning more about it. That doesn't mean I'm necessarily like compromised or not going to you know, it's effectively a press trip. It's really important for people to understand open AI did not pay these creators to be there. Yes, they got a free hotel room, but again it's it's talk to any magazine fashion journalist. You know, they're doing this all day long with the fashion industry, which I would argue is just as exploitative and harmful to our environment if you want to talk about.
Speaker 4: Sort of irresponsible industries.
Speaker 1: Right, But they're still going on the Balenciaga, you know, press trip to Paris or whatever. So I think this is the way that comm's PR works, marketing works, media and press relations work.
Speaker 4: We know that influencers are effectively the new media.
Speaker 1: So I totally understand why they would go honestly, but I also understand why it would play so poorly online. And I think a lot of it again has to do with open AI because Anthropic and we can get into this has been doing tons of influencer marketing for a year and there has been none of this discussion around them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that's what's actually what's so in interesting is And when I look at it, I'm not a defender of one or the other as much as more of like a person who tries to just take all the facts and put them in together, put them in a place where it kind of makes sense to me. And so much about this moment makes sense, and then so much doesn't, you know, make sense, And I think more this moment is a feeling, right, It's a feeling of an ease, And you're right, I think Opening Eye has become this kind of poster child for the things that are scary about the future and some of the things that seem to be happening to people and not with people, even though AI to some degree is this inevitability. With the correct guardrails, with the correct you know, with the correct regulation, with the correct participation, it could do incredible things for society. And Sam Altman like did become very much the face of it, especially when like Sora launched and he kind of made himself this face of it, and it becomes kind of this meme culture. So I think people do associate it with with with Sam. So it is a very fascinating moment. And then you look at Anthropic, like Anthropic has such like your point, which I thought was a really important point, was, you know, Anthropic, there are a lot of criticism for Open Eyes that they, you know, are doing business with the Department of War. Anthropic has done business with the Department of War, and so have a lot of tech companies. So as you are someone who translates internet culture to us, So why why isn't that a part of it? Why not you know, fight against Anthropic if that's if that's your cause, what's going on?
Speaker 4: I guess like yes.
Speaker 1: And my point to point out some of this is like I as somebody that reports a lot on sort of like these backlash cycles, they're not based in reality there there, it's all as you said, it's emotion. There's no moral consistency because if you are morally outraged about a content creator going on one single press weekend with open aye, where is that energy for alex Earl when she did her huge Microsoft partnership. Microsoft, which is a key player in the military industrial complex and is like heavily embedded with the Department of War, right, and as you mentioned, Anthropic as well, is very eager to work with the Department of War. They obviously have a sort of disagreement with the government now, but it's not even that they're saying we don't want to work with you. They're saying, hey, yes, we're totally down to make these autonomous weapons. We just don't think they're ready yet, but they will be one day, and don't worry, we will do that business. So you know, none of these tech companies I would argue have like the moral high ground necessarily, like they're all kind of doing government work, they're all embedded in our military industrial complex, Like this is kind of how things go.
Speaker 4: And I think it's really important to call that stuff out.
Speaker 1: But I think driving just an obscene level of hate at some person with forty thousand followers for going on a glorified brand trip, Like I don't know that that's productive. I think that's coming from a place of emotion, and I think it's also like again, how the companies have positioned themselves. Open Ai is a really popular consumer product, so it's what people are more familiar with. Claude is seen as more elevated. It has the Sarah font. It's seen there's people that like will shit on Chatchy bet all day, but then like and.
Speaker 4: Say, oh it's evil, it's using up all the water.
Speaker 1: It's well by the way in topics like eating open AI's lunch right now. Right. This is a massive corporation that I would argue also pushes tech policies that are incredibly harmful, way more irresponsible than open Ai in my opinion, But they're not as familiar with it, and it's seen as this sort of elite consumer product.
Speaker 4: It's elevated.
Speaker 1: Part of it reminds me I covered the Tinder Bumble war back in the day, and it's it's similar dynamics where you see and honestly, Uber and Lyft could be seen in a similar light right where there's usually this first mover to the market Uber Tinder that's like a category defining that they release a category defining product.
Speaker 4: They then sort of often.
Speaker 1: Have a crazy you know, they all have like some man at the hell that probably says some things that maybe you know, people don't like or whatever. There's some scandal, there's negative press coverage, there should be that we should scrutinize the attach companies, and then you have their biggest competitor coming around and saying, oh, don't worry, we're the good one. We're going to basically do the exact same thing, but we're going to sort of be responsible. We're gonna be Lyft, We're going to be the responsible Uber, We're going to be Bumble, We're gonna be the responsible tender. Functionally, these platforms function the same way. They're exploiting the same people, they're doing all the same things, but it's a pr battle at the end of the day, and Anthropic is playing that game very well.
Speaker 3: I have to say, like I really do I agree with you on this, Like then it really is a narrative battle right now, and against a backdrop of a popular you said, it's like a populist revolution right where where it's a narrative battle where sometimes I think the players who are winning are the ones who understand on a sidal note, like what's happening beyond Silicon Valley. It's not the papers about abundance that are being written. It's not the like pontification from like some of these founders, like I know, Zuckerberg just wrote a big thing like it really.
Speaker 2: I think is folks who really.
Speaker 3: Maybe are in the Silicon Valley bubble but have a little bit more of an understanding of what's happening on the outside, which is fear anger, you know, wealth, disparity, climate, all of these things, like you know, a political environment that a lot of folks have grown up with and and so I think it's it's I remember when looking at Anthropic and just having covered kind of and you know this, like people will pr people will say things to you you kind of you're always trying to figure out like, well, what is the angle? What is the truth? Like, what is the what are the facts? And how do I present this in the best way? And I remember looking at a lot of anthropics, uh the pr that they were doing, and I think and I and I thought to myself, Oh, that's really good. Good like Dario coming out and saying things like and I'm paraphrasing and whatever, but like, I's going to ruin the world if we're not careful. Really positions him as someone who's trustworthy, someone who's saying things are about to get really, really really bad.
Speaker 2: Here's why we have this kind of thing like that.
Speaker 1: And while pushing some of the most invalent, invasive mass surveillance laws of our time. Like I just want to be clear, Like if when I look at the I write a lot about tech policy, it's scary what anthropic is proposing. They are not some like you know company that is like they are also operating a multi billion dollar business.
Speaker 3: What scares you most about anthropic Because we hear a lot about what scares folks about open ai we don't hear as much about anthropic.
Speaker 1: Anthropic is everything that open Aiye is doing Anthropic is doing everything. The problem is, in my opinion, is this effect of altruist kind of mentality and a deeply paternalist view of technology where it's on everything they accuse Zuckerberg of I would argue, like Dario is truly that right. He has this elon musk even like a mentality where it's like, you know, I am going to be the one I only I am a safe steward of this technology. I mean I covered the recent sort of battle against open weight Chinese models, which are incredibly valuable, which will undeniably help.
Speaker 4: You know, cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: It will they will help startups like it lowers the cost of compute, it allows for more innovation, like these are things that we should support. But Anthropic really wants a close They want to do regulatory capture, and they want this closed ecosystem where they are the ones that control AI. They are the ones that bring super intelligence to everyone, and their scheme, you know, controls everything. They are basically the arbiters of our AI ecosystem. And that is a monopoly. I mean, that is everything that we know that Mark zuckerbrig did. I just Anthropic is constantly running the meta playbook and you know what else they're doing that is very much the meta playbook. They're doing the whole sort of like fake like safety thing, like, oh, we care so much about children's safety and children, so we just need everyone's government ID and we're just going to completely We're going to enact mass surveillance on the Internet, and it's all for your safety. If you guys are so worried about safety, why are you building autonomous weapons? What are you talking about? Like this is just in your business interest. And I think instead of looking at these companies and drinking the kool aid, we need to recognize that anthropics fight against like open aye. You know, it's not that they worry about the safety, it's because it is in their interest. Maybe some of them are true believers. Dario is a true believer in terms of the EI stuff. But like it's just it's very meta because Metall makes all the same claims and does all the same things, and you know, we just need to have some skepticism here around these companies.
Speaker 3: I think, like the hard part is and maybe this is what this influencer trip kind of triggered for me, was like I understand a backlash, I really do because I think if I were sitting at the table, I would say, you know, here are the things that people really care about, and these are the things they're afraid about. How do we utilize voices who capture Internet culture to be able to talk to them and address those fears?
Speaker 2: Right? And how do we educate people?
Speaker 3: And maybe the backdrop of luxury when folks are wondering should AIB a utility or and I think that was in your comment someone actually said that in your comments.
Speaker 1: There's this idea on the left that we should nationalize AI, which is fascinating to me because it's coming amidst Donald Trump literally leveraging the FTC to try to censor the content that AI models can can give. So I think a lot of these things are misguided. But I think while they might not be able to articulate like clear and coherent policy proposals like the vibes are very much like why don't we the public have more control?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So let's say you were sitting there, it's Charles Porch, it's Sam Oltman, it's their brand people now and their influencer strategy, and they're sitting here being like, well, I think this backfired. I hope they understand it backfired. We know we need to reach people. We know that the internet and the creator world is the future in many ways.
Speaker 2: What would you say to them?
Speaker 1: Another friend of mine who's very plugged into the AI world, I believe, told open Ai or some big company this, and I think about it all the time because it's the same thing I would say too, which is start giving away money, start a fund, start investing in public spaces. Like you see what Mamdani's doing where he's like out being like I did that. Look at what I did, like go build a park, fun thing. Do public charity do like a like? I mean, this is what the friend of mine who was suggesting that they have like a mister Beasts style thing where it's like they are just giving people vast amounts of money.
Speaker 4: I mean, look at what it's done for mister Beat's career.
Speaker 1: Mister Beasts is not exactly like you know, He's built his entire career on like being this like charitable guy. I think people, and I don't think it means I don't think it means paying influencers for content. I think it means truly giving away money. People think you have billions of dollars. You do have billions of dollars. I mean, I understand why the financials are not so easy, but I think if people see like, wow, you just built that, Wow, you just funded that theater that was going to close. Wow. Oh but like and you're just doing like you have to win back some public good, especially among the left sort of internet, because in progressive spaces now, like you cannot be like you are not welcome basically, and that's not going to work out for you long long term. You know, the Democrats are going to be in power again. You're gonna get regulated. Bernie Sanders is out there giving his policies on pausing all technological development or whatever he wants to do like it. So, yeah, that's what I would tell them. I would just say, like start giving away money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and I love that idea of like investing in maybe kind of like IRL places too, and places that are are going to become even more premium and a rise of AI where you know, jobs are going to go away, places are going to go away.
Speaker 2: In human connection is also something that's really.
Speaker 4: Important, Laurie.
Speaker 1: If they had rented out some space in upstate New York and said like, this is going to be free for the public. This is free for the public all weekend, and we're paying for it. You know, this is like that would generate good well and by the way, we'll have some kiosks and we're going to explain AI to you in the corner here, but like we want like then it comes from this like place of charity. I think it's it's this idea that the marketing that they're doing now is like nefarious and like as an this elite kind of group of influencers is sel like there's all this stuff, and I think they just need to be a lot more open and engaged.
Speaker 3: The thing that you kind of ended on that I think kind of captures it is this was a luxury brand experience, which, by the way, tons of people do. But I think it's like about accessibility at the end of the day, right, I think when it comes to artificial intelligence and so many of these companies, they're selling us this idea of accessibility and that these systems in many ways, and by the way, they've been super helpful to me in so many ways, and I'm sure and they are also there are some real questions on a societal level of how we actually utilize these in the best types of way that, as they like to say in Silicon Valley, aids human flourishing. But I think it's accessibility and it's hypocrisy. I think that's the thing that people can sniff out, you know, pretty much pretty quickly these days, especially on the Internet. And that is to your point, Taylor. I would love to see so many of these places open up in hubs where people a lot of people are losing jobs, where things aren't easy, and show people how they can have an I co founder and turn their small business into a you know, into something that's helping them make money, or someone who can actually you know, be in these communities. And I'm sure they're doing programs and whatnot, but like so, I you know.
Speaker 2: Don't don't call me if they already are.
Speaker 3: But I think what you're talking about is really important, which is being in the communities that are being impacted by this and being on the ground and understanding.
Speaker 2: And I think the narrative war of the.
Speaker 3: AI companies will be one by the folks who are able to leave the bubble and understand where we are as a society and how to speak that and also how to put your money where your mouth is and maybe put those money money into the community.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I know it'll be it'll be interesting to see.
Speaker 1: I was in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and talking to people, and a lot of people are just like, we just have to wait it out.
Speaker 4: We're just going to wait it out, and in.
Speaker 1: Two to three years, definitely five years, these people will be irrelevant. Also a lot of these people that are so anti AI, they're effectively making themselves irrelevant, like they refuse to engage with this technology. They're just these are not going to be people that are movers and shakers in the world, super employable in the world. And it's frustrating though, because I will say, and you work in media too, It's like the content that does the best online is the content that feeds these fears and that sells people.
Speaker 2: Sell And if we just got.
Speaker 1: On here every single day and said the most inflammatory stuff and scared everyone and said there's no benefit and it's a bubble and you're gonna everything's a fake and it's you know, we would honestly probably make a million dollars at least. I mean, there are people doing that right, that are making that kind of money, and you will be funded as well by a lot of these groups that are that are funded in many cases by billionaires themselves, that are like special interest groups trying to get their sort of AI regulation pass. So it's a really broken ecosystem, and it's really frustrating because I feel like we're in this sort of messy middle right now and I don't know what's going to happen next.
Speaker 3: I really agree with that, I think in a world because I am I don't know if I'm an optimist as much as like, I just feel like, to some degree, like I got into tech because I loved technology. I loved people who didn't fit in the box. I loved people who looked at things and said, well, it works this way, but what if it worked this way? You know, And things got very complicated. But that didn't mean that tech is like the big bad wolf. I mean it really, you know a lot of these things. I think about a family member of mine who's been really sick, and how much AI and chat, GPT and what not enabled me to be able to speak to the doctor. I didn't let it obviously didn't diagnose her, but enabled me to have a conversation I wouldn't have been able to have had I, you know, and that wasn't available to me in this like insane healthcare system.
Speaker 1: And there are laws right now that would destroy your ability to do that. That's what scares me is that these people have gotten on board with a fundamentally reactionary movement. There was a great piece by Molly Taft and why heard about this organization called Humans First, one of these ANTIAI organizations that's funded by an acolyte of Steve Bannon, and it is a far right extremist group that is, you know, doing a lot with leftist organizers and had an event in Brooklyn, and it's getting all of these people on board with this like trad lifestyle of like let's destroy technology, let's go back to the eighteen hundred, Like, guys, No, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. We can have smart laws. No one thinks that we need no regulation. Maybe the people running the companies, but certainly there can be you know, we can try to use technology to build a better world.
Speaker 3: But what you're saying is so true because I have seen the people, like a lot of dudes like a lot of these. I mean, I just have to say some of it as dudes, like kind of pontificating on the end of the world and being very dramatic about it, and.
Speaker 2: It makes people fearful.
Speaker 3: And I understand there are a lot of things we need to be confronting with the rise of AI. But the way it's done is it is packaged. It does well the algorithms. The algorithms pick it up and it becomes culture, and it impacts a cultural conversation. You know, I think like someone throwing a Molotov cocktail at Sam Altman's home. I don't care how like, I just, you know, I really do believe that to some degree, the culture of this and what's bolstered online is also dangerous if not countered with real agency driven educational content, which honestly is harder to do well online, which creates this whole weird, fractured ecosystem that doesn't put humans in the front seat.
Speaker 2: And I worry about it sometimes.
Speaker 3: But my hope is that you know, maybe it is what you say that and that we kind of we ride this wave. We've ridden other waves before, you know, and we see the narratives change and we see technology work and not work, and promises be delivered and not delivered. And so my hope is that we'll fall somewhere in the middle.