Speaker 1: What to do.
Speaker 2: You're off in God's Country.
Speaker 3: We read and Dan is Boy also.
Speaker 4: Known as the Brother or something where we take a weekly drive to the intersection of country music and the great outdoors, two things that go together, like Dan and candy crush or.
Speaker 3: A Chevy C ten and a two lane road in the country.
Speaker 2: I must talk on that Dandy Crush brought to you by a meat Eater.
Speaker 3: In I Heart Podcast, we had Chase Rice on good mustache. Dude, Dude, God's got the best mustache.
Speaker 2: Smelling like an artist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he smell good.
Speaker 4: He got a new record out Outdoorsman. He goes all over the country chasing big bull and big white tails.
Speaker 3: The song on the record about ducks about Arkansas on Christmas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's pretty cool. Y'all go check out his new record. He was fun to have on the couch. Hope y'all enjoyed this episode. Days for hanging out in God's Country. We're back music row been a minute, We've got a We've got an elk chasing, big deer, killing, duck hunting, mustaching.
Speaker 2: NASCAR tire changing, which I didn't know.
Speaker 1: You didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say, before you said the NASCAR thing, I thought you were about to be interviewing Riley Vainy. Yeah. Yeah, that dude's jacked.
Speaker 4: We got we got mister Chase Rice on the on the God's Country Couch this morning.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming in, Thanks for thanks for hanging out with us.
Speaker 1: You smell good. I just showered same first time in a week.
Speaker 2: I didn't shower this morning.
Speaker 3: Showered last night, though I had to do this morning.
Speaker 4: I did spray along a shower in the morning, not every not every morning, man, I have to every every morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're an artist, though you have to, and you heard about it. You have to be a Something happened as I'm getting older where I'm like, if it's hot outside or muggy, I'm like, I'm not going out there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Oh, I shower every day. I go outside, Dude, I come in and and my clothes that I have on that I just went outside going to the dirty clothes bar, and I take a shower. I do shower every day.
Speaker 1: The thing is if I'm out there doing it, like you're talking about elk hunting and duck hunting, Like, if I'm doing that and living in that world. I'm fine, Like once I'm in it, Like I'm going horseback riding back country in Montana next week, which I'm pretty fired off about. But like when I'm out there, I'm not gonna need to like go in the.
Speaker 3: Creek and some friends to go and co ride.
Speaker 1: I got invited by my buddy.
Speaker 2: Can an invite? Invite?
Speaker 3: Can you double invite?
Speaker 1: I think he'd be pissed. We'd all three be on one horse.
Speaker 3: I'm into that, a big old horse that was good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the big one, the walker cloud.
Speaker 1: I'd be one pissed off cloudsdale back. I'm good. But here if I'm like clean, I get from my truck into here, and I like, I need a shower in here.
Speaker 3: It's a great intro into a segment that we call.
Speaker 2: What Man, Just tell us what it is? What's you mad at?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: You ain't lost? Kids, might be your boss man on your neighburs cave, Just sweat man?
Speaker 3: What's mad at? Dude? I'm mad at the heat, bro.
Speaker 1: It's just two.
Speaker 3: Dang hot outside in Tennessee. Man, I am mad at dude.
Speaker 1: I'm so mad at the heat that I talked with Ivy about this a lot because she has an airstream too. I bought an airstream so I could live out west in the summer. I hate the heat that much that I go to Montana, Oregon with some shows out there in like two weeks and I just cruise around out there. So what what like?
Speaker 3: Now, what's the temperature in Montana?
Speaker 1: Oh, probably sixties, maybe fifties night. I mean it's probably a little warmer now. Last time I was there, it was doing in the daytime it's seventies, maybe hits eighty. But it's dry.
Speaker 3: Every time we go out there, we end up saying, like, what are we doing?
Speaker 1: What are we doing?
Speaker 4: Every time we go out there, I'll come back and yeah, I like leave a piece of myself in Montana.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: It's it's the greatest place I've been in the States.
Speaker 1: Well, probably Wyoming, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, b Yeah, that's place to live. Yeah, and we're here and I don't know why.
Speaker 3: Same music, dude, Nashville.
Speaker 2: It is suture music.
Speaker 1: This place is special. But I mean I was driving in and down to Mumbery in looking at tin roof and then like looking at the left side where the all the buildings are like, that's I'm allowed to say smoked weed. Yeah, yeah, sure, smoked reefer. I did the pot the pots. First time I ever did that was in that parking lot when it was gravel.
Speaker 2: You remember that, you make the big rock. Everybody would drive their trucks up.
Speaker 1: There's a motor home down there that lived there for them. It was like my ire stream, my icestream is still in Montana right now. Like that's how much I love it out there. But anyway, Nashville has changed so much. I don't but I don't remember hating the heat like this when I was a kid. Maybe no, no, no, I'm with you, just becoming a panting.
Speaker 3: And I remember being hot, but I don't remember like getting out of the truck and being like.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I hate my life.
Speaker 3: This is so hot, Like everything's done, everything's done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, on top of the heat, on top of the heat. There ain't been no rain in like six years.
Speaker 1: Like mad at the heat, bro I had. That's a good place to be though, when you're like, I'm so mad at the heat that I'm gonna go live somewhere else for a little while.
Speaker 2: If you're the if you're only mad at like is that the only thing you're med at.
Speaker 3: But I mean I'm mad at manything.
Speaker 1: I can go on.
Speaker 3: But it's your turn. What are you mad at?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Well you I was gonna I was gonna go the heat because my other one was kind of petty.
Speaker 3: Okay, but bro.
Speaker 4: Dan plays Candy Crush all the time. Now he's obsessed with this game. And we were at the lake. Bro I'm throwing him under the bus. We were at the lake and he played it all week long on family vacate.
Speaker 3: First off, it's a thousand degrees all right, could.
Speaker 1: You go on a boat in the water.
Speaker 2: Well, he was playing it on the boat.
Speaker 1: Dude, don't say you were sorry.
Speaker 3: I'm screaming. Sorry, sorry, there was one level I was trying to give.
Speaker 4: Look, this is why I don't I'm mad at phone. I'm mad at games on phones.
Speaker 3: We flew my wife and I took a vacation and there was no internet on the flight, and it was a long flight. She had she was like here, freaking quit talking this, and so she handed me her She's like a kid like she pa playing it, playing this man, I'm obsessed, I'm obsessed. I'm obsessed. And then she took her phone back and I was like, I couldn't download it right, So second hit ground, I'm like, download the thing.
Speaker 4: Well the game is really you went on vacation on Cabo. You downloaded and played it all in Cabo. Yes, that's exactly what happened. Guarantee that you was dude.
Speaker 2: This morning. We were sitting there waiting, we were waiting on.
Speaker 4: You to get here, and I was like, hey, I was like, he was playing a little Diddy and I was like, what song is that?
Speaker 2: It's like Bessic Park.
Speaker 1: It is wrong.
Speaker 2: We were all wrong. He was playing home alone.
Speaker 1: He said, he's at home alone.
Speaker 2: He's like, what is it from?
Speaker 4: He's like, I was like a movie and he's like he was like this. He was like I came and I was like, what movie? He was, How's I playing?
Speaker 1: Goes, I'm gonna get dizzy bouncing my head back and forth between you two.
Speaker 4: Sorryes, No, that's uh Star Wars right, We're like, oh yeah, but no it is.
Speaker 1: I just bought a Jurassic Park T shirt at a thrift store and somewhere in Wisconsin. Yeah, it was sick. You still have that square body I do, but you're gonna need to look at what I grove here today. Okay, I made a mistake. I got drunk at Bear Jackson.
Speaker 3: I'm excited about it.
Speaker 1: It's nice. What is it? Well, Austin Neal, he's my agent. He's also been one of my friends forever. We went to Barrett Jackson and it's like, where do you go to that?
Speaker 3: Where's that that?
Speaker 1: The one we went to was in Arizona other day, but we went to Bart Jackson.
Speaker 2: Bart Jackson is the big car.
Speaker 1: But my dad all used to watch it on TV. So we watched the Barret Jackson every day. It was Jackson and Andy Griffith Yau.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because we used to watch it all the time too.
Speaker 2: But no, it's on.
Speaker 4: It's on the car channel, whatever the car channel is, it's on. I was in a co ride the other day and they had it on the TV. I above wouldn't be worth I'm not a big fan of co writes that have a TV on, saying.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, So if you're listening, don't turn a TV on while we're trying to co write Bart Jackson.
Speaker 1: We see this truck. It's a Chevy C thirty but it has some new bunch of new stuff going on. So I start reading all the stuff about it. I'm like, man, this thing just looks sick, like, man, okay, I might I might do like forty or fifty on something. And it just gets if it's the right feeling. Plus my dad used to watch it my first Barrett Jackson, like, oh, I'd make him proud, buy a cart Jackson. And uh and the next day you're like, I might do seventy five, might do seventy five. The next day you're like, I might do two fifty. So it's still I might buy something for a million. It's crazy that that's exaggerating, but for a lot of people wouldn't be for me, though, Yeah, but it's crazy how your mind shifts in two days at that thing you're just watching. They got it. They got to know that too. Oh they're they're not dumb. Yeah, And but this thing rolls, rolls on the block and and I just panicked in tequila. And so how.
Speaker 3: Do you bet at a Barrett jack Like, I mean, not bet, but how do you bid?
Speaker 1: So you just like you have your number, it's you're wearing it like a little lanyard. And uh, they're going we were on stage because we wanted to see it up close again and we just wanted to be in the heat of it, and a lot of the other guy was like in row six over here, and I'm just looking and like stop please, Like, yeah, it's getting close to where my limit was, and which was already way past what my original limit was and.
Speaker 2: Alcohol limit.
Speaker 1: Made my other limit way out courage. But we're on the stage and they're like going back and forth and my buddy looks at me. He's like, you're gonna get destructed. And it's the most nervous I think I've ever been in my life. And finally I get it. I'm like, oh shit, Yeah, what did I just do? I'm like thinking about what I'm gonna tell business management the next day. We're on this thing. We're trying to save money, YadA, YadA, YadA, And then I just did that.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah sometimes sometimes, but yes, I do have the square bot. Sometimes you just gotta do stuff and ask for forgiveness later.
Speaker 2: Man's part of life.
Speaker 1: What's my money? Absolutely get over?
Speaker 2: Is that? Is that how those things go? Download?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Did they Is it like it's a three day thing? Like is it like a weekend?
Speaker 1: Thing. That was three days, maybe four, but it's three or four days.
Speaker 2: So do they wait and put like the ones at the end?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were, And that was Saturday night, two hours after the Prime cars went like I don't know what the most expensive one for a few million at least and uh for vehicle. We got lucky that it was a couple hours after that because the guy runs up to me, I'm like, man, I had two hundred and forty grand in that truck. You just got a deal. It's everyday driver. It's the only truck that when I'm driving down my driveway, which is gravel, I'm like going like two miles, No rocks are popping off. It's tough to drive. It's the only car that I've ever had that I'm like very careful.
Speaker 3: With one of the the hood.
Speaker 1: It's got a big Dermax diesel they dropped in. It's twenty thirteen chassis GMC chassis, but they dropped a seventy two C thirty on top of it with a new Dermax diesel and it's got six hundred.
Speaker 3: Miles on so dude, it I mean, it's got ac brought like good breaks and the whole time I.
Speaker 1: Wasn't hot today coming in. It's like that, so my kop because the AC goes out every every summer. Last time I saw you in that truck, your AC, it's every summer it goes out. I'm like, guys, fix this thing.
Speaker 4: Where when we pulled up and we were eating like Panda.
Speaker 3: Awesome and then you hopped out, I was like freaking Chase.
Speaker 4: I yeah, it was like Panda, like like an ice cream shop or something.
Speaker 3: Right there in Franklin, Like, yeah, as you're headed out to your Panda.
Speaker 4: So gass when when we like when Jordan's like, hey, you know what I'm just gonna do.
Speaker 2: I'm not really hungry. You just figured dinner.
Speaker 4: Out for yourself. Peytonville, Bro, I'll go to Panda that that one. No, I just go over the one in spring Hill. I'll smash three entree two sides too low Maine, I get too low made to I go hard on Panda, too Low Maine. Two honey chicken and uh and uh the honey wannut shrimp, orange orange two orange chicken, honey wannuts shrimp. And then if I'm feeling myself, I'll do a cheese ragrand the crab cheese.
Speaker 2: Rag.
Speaker 1: Dude, I don't know what that is, but the orange chicken is fire a fire.
Speaker 3: That was a little dumpling looking yet real star buys.
Speaker 2: So was your dad a like your upbringing? Was your dad like a car guy?
Speaker 1: Was he? Really? He raced Rolex or now it's called the Rolics twenty four hour now, but it was just a twenty four hour Daytona back then. He raced it and I think sixty eight, sixty nine or sixty nine, seventy or maybe seventy one, so somewhere on that's all. And he won his class, which was the lower class, but he won that, and he always wanted we were just talking about this Daytona. He always wanted a Daytona because of that. I remember, like vacation eighth grade. That was back when you could buy him, like sure in the shops. He had a Daytona and I'm looking at it. That was my first realization of what a rollers Daytona was. Explains me, Man, I just always wanted one of these ever since we wanted Daytona and out sponsored by Rolex, and Paul Newman had one. He helped Paul Newman work on his cars and start yeah, I got pictures of my dad and Paul Newman Davis. Well, but does he have the watch? He sure he does, that's all he wore. I don't know if you can see it in the picture. I'll pull it up in a minute. But that's and then my manager knew that story, so he ended up buying me this, which we were talking about a minute ago. That's awesome, But yeah, he was he raced super sharp.
Speaker 3: So did you actually race or were you just.
Speaker 1: Kind of like in the thing in Nascar? Yeah? No, I was a pit crew guy, gotcha. So I was the guys they brought a They started bringing in some ex football, college athletes, whatever sport it was to the pit cruise a couple of years.
Speaker 3: For me, well you won't say it, but that's what they were trying to athletes.
Speaker 1: Fast pissed off. Yeah, And so the Hendrick Motorsports brought in like nine or eleven guys, I can't remember what it was to be the first guys to see if we could do a whole pit team, just a training program. So we did that. Within like six months, two of our guys were up on the Cup teams, like Jeff and then Junior I think.
Speaker 4: Cup team, Dude, I don't know nothing. I've watched one race in my life. Cup is like the big series.
Speaker 1: That's that's Jeff the press. So we got up pretty fast. I never actually ended up going over the wall for Jimmy or Jeff or Mark Martin or Junior. Being the guy on race day, I was jump. Then we got a nationwide truck all that I was doing that, and then I ended up leaving to go do Survivor right around that time where I was becoming the guy to and I wasn't committed to it, like I I was miserable, to be honest. We were making seventeen grand a year living in an hotel and I was writing songs all the time in the hotel, and my roommate hated me. He ended up being Dale Junior's jackman forever. We're good now. He played football in Nebraska. He hated me because I would just go home and write songs every day in the hotel and He's like, shut put the guitar and uh. But that was when I was like, I have the sickest job in the world. My dad raced he would kill me if I ever gave this job up, because it was I was gonna go end up on one of the Cup teams, and I had Survivor pop up. Was like, it's a good opportunity to make a little money, maybe a million bucks, and then maybe come back and like move to Nashville. That's actually exactly what happened.
Speaker 3: Ye had your dad passed before you did Survivor?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did right before that. I did Survivoring ten. He died like two years before that. So I was miserable life.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: I just lost football. I just lost my dad. I was writing songs trying to like it was weird because I didn't party in college. I was like the guy that was like Fellowship of Christian Athletes live, had my life together. He died, lost everything, and then it was like moved here and I partied. Yeah I partied.
Speaker 3: I remember you've been that guy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I was getting after it. Now. It's like it's weird because passing tender if I was talking about earlier. It wasn't like a conscious decision to stop going out so much. It just friends changed. We started golfing more, and it was like I remember here about guys like I'm gonna go golf today and I'm like, no golf, Let's go downtown on rooftop bars. And now I'm the the other guy.
Speaker 3: Same, which is awesome. I love i'm the other guy too, for sure. I enjoy being the other guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We never.
Speaker 3: We never went mega hard honestly as far as in the in the drinking lane, but we Yeah, I'd rather. I'd rather you can't get up early if you're drunking out before. No great segue into you actually say that on your on the tune uh the hunt on Christmas Arkansas, Arkansas, dude. Yeah, I listened to that this morning. I was like, this guy has duck hunted in Arkansas.
Speaker 2: You can tell I was saying about that too.
Speaker 4: I've never heard like an ode to duck hunting like that, Like I like, there there might be songs out there, but like a song to the duck state, you know, like I never, I never, I've never heard of songs, and I've never experienced it until this past year. And and like I've been duck hunting a little bit here and there, but like, dude, I ain't been Arkansas duck hunt until this year. And it is a it deserves its own duck hunting song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it is? It is that good?
Speaker 1: Well it's funny because like I didn't actually duck hunt growing up. I was el deer dove stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Turkey's you come of when you were little?
Speaker 1: Uh well no, that didn't start probably till I was thirty. Oh okay, so eight years ago. Deer was my main deal in deer in Turkey. But then I got Jack, my black lab, and I was like, I know, I'm not going to dive head first into duck hunting unless to get a dog. I'd rather work the dog than kill ducks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that'll get you there. That'll make you like I've got a chocolate lab and he don't duck hunt. He'd be a hell of a duck dog. Yeah, but he's a hell of a frisbee dog. Now, well, yeah, you just gotta yeah go. But I can see how if if you're like, man, I want to go duck hunting, the way to dive in is to get a dog and train in a duck hunt, and then just to want to watch the dog.
Speaker 1: Work, you won't be out there. That got me more into it, like calling and stuff. You don't want me to call shooting? I get we're working the Dogs is where it's at for me. But that all start with a song on my last record called Oklahoma. I never write it, wanted to write a hunting song. I just think unless you do it right, they're cheesy.
Speaker 3: Agreed, Yeah, I agree, I very much agree. But now even if you do it right, sometimes you're still.
Speaker 1: Oklahoma started because of a duck hunting trip. I literally couldn't leave. Like Cody Cannon from Whiskey Meyer showed up, Dan Henderson the Fighter showed up, and I was like, going to see a girl in Texas. She was getting a little wishy washy on me on for New Year's like three years ago. I was like, all right, well she don't want to hang out with me, I'll just hang out with the coolest guys ever and keep killing ducks. Yeah, that's how I wrote Oklahoma. And then we just kept hunting Arkansas all that stuff. So it's like JD is actually the guy that owns a place I go in Oklahoma. It's called Falco, and he's the guy talking in the intro. Oh yeah, Arkansas. Yeah, I couldn't tell.
Speaker 3: I was like, it doesn't sound like you, but it was a good I could tell.
Speaker 1: It was a good JD and he lives in Arkansas, but he works in Oklahoma during duck season. And that's how that all happened. It's like, I'm not overthinking it anymore. It's like we wrote as song called Arkansas, let's put it on the record.
Speaker 3: And a song called Tennessee. You're just naming states.
Speaker 1: Tennessee, Carolina, can Oklahoma. I have a song called Virginia that I'll probably never put out.
Speaker 2: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Speaker 1: Every every album is gonna have a state song day. Eventually, I'm gonna be able to sell out places in all those states.
Speaker 3: I remember, next time your album Socer comes around, I'll just look at the states you've mentioned and like, all right.
Speaker 4: Mississippi got this idea chucky home.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed the uh and we're bouncing around here. I think this is this is mega loose. So if there's something you want to stick to, let me know. Otherwise we're just gonna keep doing this.
Speaker 1: Uh. Yeah, I enjoyed.
Speaker 3: How to explain this, I hadn't really thought it out yet, but kind of the organicness of the record it was it was very like acoustic driven and uh even vocal driven uh, and I thought, I feel like that's kind of a change for you, like to to really lock into. It was almost like an Appalachic kind of feel at times. There was some bluegrass mixed in things, kind of influences. There was fiddle on stuff, and I mean this time where you just like, man, I'm gonna do what I want to do.
Speaker 1: We did that on the last one. That was the start of it was like dipping her toes and not really dipping her toes, like we kind of dove in head first with Oscar. Speaking of writing and stuff, like when we used to try to write, Yeah, like you knew I always wanted to write real stuff. I was just so locked into the poppy or you couldn't do it. I couldn't do it. Well you you couldn't. I did it, but I never put the stuff out.
Speaker 4: You made so much money off Florid, off cruise, why would you ever try to do anything?
Speaker 1: That cruise sucked me into that world, which is fine. Like I look at my twenty eight year old Steff, I'm like, why wouldn't Yeah, of course I didn't know what I was doing. But now it's like this one. We wrote all the songs, no tracks, Everything was on guitar, and then I played a bunch of stuff for I worked for or worked with Joyce for a couple of songs. He didn't want to do the full record, and we had a cool conversation about it. Was just really honest, It's like, cool, Well, I want one person to do an album. I've never had that. And we'd already talked with Oscar. So Oscar was sitting in my living room. We never met before. He's a killer dude. He's un the label and he says, where do you want to do this thing? And I was like, man, I just don't want to do a Nasville studio. I don't like the vibe. I want to do something different. And he just spun around his chair and looked up in my living room. He's like, what's wrong with this? And that's when I knew, like he gets exactly what I'm trying to do. Cool, and so we started it. Well. We realized on the last record was everything was too big, and then most of the songs would be like, all right, let's take it back to a guitar and the band follow that acoustic guitar, and that's how we kind of figured out our formula for that one. Next, this last next record we did at Oscar Studio at his house. It's still a house vibes, So it was cool, same thing. We already knew it, like I'm gonna play this in guitar, you guys just start playing on and see what happens.
Speaker 3: Beautiful.
Speaker 1: So that's how sounds and that's how they were written, So why would we not keep it?
Speaker 3: That for sure?
Speaker 4: I love what like like watching artists who are in tune with what they're doing. And you can tell it by watching the progression of records, like you talk about it in your bio when like at twenty two, you you think you're you're trying to do this because that's the stage of life you're in when you're twenty five the next record, but now you're what thirty eight?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean thirty yeah, we're.
Speaker 1: All thirty man, We're all thirty in here. Man.
Speaker 4: Man, you can you you can tell, like, and that's that's the cool thing about it, is like you can you can see the maturity through all of that, and and and and when you talk about like becoming the man you are now that your dad always wanted you to be, you.
Speaker 2: Can hear that?
Speaker 4: And dude, and my my favorite song off the thing is You eighty five. And I listened to it last Dude, that's a great song, man, And that's that's a real song for for dudes who who have that that relationship with their dad like that, who who their dad's their best friend and and and I'm the same way man, like I We were at my parents' house the other day and she my mom had this like old TV sitting on a stand with the VCR under it, and she was playing old tapes and we were I was looking at my dad when he was thirty five thirty six, which I'm thirty six now and and me and my little sister jumping off the dock the lake, and and I was like, dang, dude, I'm him now, like like that's I'm I'm I'm a spitting image of him. I'm cut from the same cloth, man. And And to hear that come out in You in eighty five was it was a pretty cool moment to listen to and and to hear that, And it's very well written in a great picture of what what you're feeling in that thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was Laurie's idea Laurie like we'd never written together before. We end up writing for so all four of them are on the record, You and eighty five. It was the first song we wrote that second day. She's like, I had this idea like what would it look like if you were with him back then or he was with you now? So he wrote it didn't really affect me that much. I was like, Okay, that's really cool. Definitely cutting that. And then I got in the studio and I tried to sing the vocal and I fell apart. Yeah, I just fell apart completely. And because I was thinking of it as a sad way sure, because I never got to have a beer with my dad, I never got to hang out with him as a man and man. And then Oscar came in and like, that's how close him and I are, Like he understands my life, he doesn't just understand me as a singer. And he came in and was like, dude, it's a celebration song, Like what would that look like if you were sitting there with your pops back then or now? It doesn't matter, and you got to have that drink together. And it's not even about a drink, it's about just a man and man conversation, and so that changed my whole mindset on the song. It's actually changed my whole mindset on my life my dad, Like I don't think about it like it's sad anymore. I think about it like I got twenty two years with him. I mean, I'm at the point now where we're getting to the age where sucks to say, but dads are gonna die. Oh, parents are going to die. And I'd be there now anyway, like it would happen at some point. It just happened to me when I was younger. But now I have a whole new perspective on what my relationship was with them, and it's a lot because of that song.
Speaker 4: Wow, it feels like a life changing urn when you can look at it as like like man, I lost my dad, instead instead of looking at it like that, you're like, man, I got twenty two I got a bunch of time with my dad I did, and great memories that are gonna last a lifetime, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that feels like a very like a maturation process into that feeling.
Speaker 1: For sure, And that song was a big part of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's cool.
Speaker 2: Isn't that cool? Songs Canna do that.
Speaker 3: Go Down saying got me dude, it's a great one. I love that one man. When it that was the first song that played, and I was like.
Speaker 1: Well, that's funny. You said you listened eighty five last. That's the last song on the album. Go Down and Sing is the first time album. It's the first one.
Speaker 3: Listen man, it's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When I saw that title, I was like, damn Lake Pentagrass.
Speaker 1: We were in willmentto North Carolina, di to write and retreat and that was I'll never do on there again because I know so many people and I love Jimmy so much. There's a bar like it was a hard writing retreat, but we got haul River and Go Down singing out of it, and we shut down. Jimmy shut down the pirates side of Neptunes, which is a local restaurant. The other side of it there's a pirate bar and he shut it down. The lighting, mood, the mood, lighting was awesome in there. We had a videographer and a photographer in there, and we wrote the thing in like twenty seven minutes. We had the idea already and I was like, yes, that is perfect. And then while we were in we were I don't think we're recording it on that session. And then that week during the in the studio, I had bad Davy bid Colebeer pulled from radio, which to me was like, this is the only one that's going to be able to play radio. You can't if this dies at forty seven, which it did, You're not getting anything else. I got nothing for you. Talking to the label, they we didn't get any votes for anything on Cmas maybe, which isn't really shocking, but it's like bench sheet maybe. I don't know, but didn't get anything there. I mean, then they didn't approve the budget for the album. I think later that week they ended up approving it. But it's like, is that where you were for an album that I'm already in the studio recording, Like, I'm not gonna hear you guys tell me no, I'll pay for it. Yeah, you guys want another song off this last last record. And I'm not bashing the label. This is just a disagreement we had, and disagreement we had, and our breakup was awesome. Like I saw Lob in Australia and it's like, what's up, buddy. Yeah, So the relationship with the label was great, with the exception of that one week was just everything hit the fan and I looked at Oscar I was like, we're just going I was singing, Yeah, we have to sign a couple sheets of paper, and finally, uh, it says sign it. Signed a couple more, a couple of sheets of paper. Finally thought I'd won Sony Broken Bow. Turns out I'd sign a couple more and tell them I was done Sony Broken Bow and I'm not bashing something so easy. Signed one sheet of paper for each deal to get out of them, and I'm free. Now. Well, let's and I never felt locked up at Broken Bowl or Sony. I was doing what I wanted to all be clear about that, and they were letting me. I just don't know if I'm a label artists, Yeah, it just doesn't seem like a.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, let's be honest, the landscape of what a label is has changed so much. I mean, it's changed so much in two years. But if you look in ten years, which we were, we've all kind of been here for that long, you know, longer than that, But it's.
Speaker 2: Changed as much as them buildings going up on.
Speaker 3: It is a different deal man, and uh, you know, I always think about it if I'm the label, like and Jordan's part of the label too, so I had to be careful. But it's like, you know, man, it's like what I mean, I get where they're coming from as far as like wanting to win and wanting to make the most in the world.
Speaker 1: I don't fit what Broma needs, what you need, So why are we doing this? And we got out of the deal, which changed my whole mindset on this album that's coming out. Go Down Singing was just going to be a song. It wasn't even gonna be a song on the deluxe version. I hate cowboys, which is what this whole thing was gonna be. What was God, would you say it was called Go Down Singing?
Speaker 3: No, you said, you say cowboys?
Speaker 1: I hate cowboys, and I was go to Hell. That's the name of the last record.
Speaker 2: So this is going to be a deluxe for that.
Speaker 1: It was going to be a deluxe interesting and then when we added Go Down Singing. I looked at Oscar I was like, dude, I'm done. I'm getting out of this deal. I've decided that right now, let's make a whole new album, so we ended up booking more days. We recorded Go Down Singing, the last song of the first group of songs. I think we did seven songs that day or that two days. And that's when I was like, Okay, let's do a whole other album. And this is all with the freedom of not having a label to tell you what to do. Let's do a whole other album, Go Down Singings. Let's call it Go Down Singing because that's now the whole mindset that I've got. And then let's do a speaking of songwriters, like they don't get credit that unless you're on radio, they're not getting money. And then let's do the I Hate Cowboys record and the Go Down Singing record all together, because they're very similar, and let's do them all acoustic. That'll be the third record, and let's feature the songwriters. So that we just did that the last three days, and that's what it's gonna be. I Hate Cowboys is out, Go Down Singings out two separate albums. Then we're gonna mass them together, all acoustic, featuring the songwriters, and then I'm done with this phase of what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 2: Permanently I do that.
Speaker 1: I might disapprove. Bro We'll come out there.
Speaker 3: We will come out there due this book us a week during out season.
Speaker 1: Well, we wrote a lot of the I Hate Cowboys record in Montana. We're gonna write a lot of the next album in Colorado, which I haven't. I'm playing Red Rocks August thirty first, the first of the fifth. I'm standing out there and doing a writing retreat. And like I said, the way I'm writing songs now. The thing about it is a lot of credit to these songwriters are on these albums, especially moving forward, because they're not writing it with the mindset of we're gonna get a radio hit with men. I don't know if I'm gonna have anymore. Yes, if I do, that's cool, Sure love it. But I'm not chasing it. If it happens, it happens. But I'm looking at these writers in the rooms and I'm like, guys, you know what this is. We're just I do I want songwriters to write with me because they know they're going to be on a great album. Yeah, not be and we're gonna write great songs. Not because it's we're chasing the radio.
Speaker 3: Well thanks for doing that. I mean just because honestly speaking, four songwriters. I hope and wish more songs, more artists do that. And I don't mean to sound like a like a like I'm trying to grab just catch a couple of crumbs from the table of chase rise up there. But like, as a writer, you know, we need y'all as much as y'all need us. And you're a real life songwriter, so it's not a it's not like you're just this one guy that cuts outside songs. I'm saying, we need each other, you know, and and uh, I appreciate you, uh taking taking up the fight for us as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a tough battle because, like you said, you guys want hits, but if you're writing with me, that's probably not the first that's not the first thing that's gonna be on anybody's mind. It's gonna be let's write a great song. And that's why I love writing with the guys and girls that I wrote with on the last record. It's just like, man, we didn't talk about radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just wanted to write a song.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that's going away a little bit, you know what, I mean to see where it is in five years to see what.
Speaker 1: I think, it's just shifting into something else. But yeah, I think at the end of the day, so many people have access to great music. They just want great music.
Speaker 3: Right, So what do you feel like is the answer to I said, we took me and Ree talking about this a pretty good bit, Like we've been lucky enough to kind of be on the other side of it, you know, have relationship with certain artists and be able to write songs with those artists. What do you think the answer? And this is a mega heavy loaded question for like dudes like we were now that show up to town with a pocket full of songs and try to get a deal. Is it possible?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: I don't I honestly don't know if it's possible to come and do that because Rent so dang huh, Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know what an answer is, but I know what I would do, and I would I would do exactly what I'm doing right now. I wouldn't chase radio.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't chase a label deal.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't chase a label deal. They're gonna come to you if it's good enough, and then you're gonna have the power to say yes or no. I would I would write the greatest, best songs that I can possibly write, create my own thing. Like when I started fgl Sam Haun, I heard him on the way in Morgan Wallen. I heard one of his songs and a came brown song all the way.
Speaker 3: So the radio works.
Speaker 1: That's all I got in that truck.
Speaker 2: But ac ac But.
Speaker 1: I could have seen myself ten years ago be like, oh, this is a cool song. I want to write one like that so I can maybe be on the radio. All I thought today was like when I heard Sam, I was like, there was a time where I was trying to do what Sam was doing, but I was stealing from myself, like and from him. It's like, but I wasn't doing what I was doing. I wasn't creating anything for myself, so it screwed me. Yeah, I was just a cheaper version of some other artist. And you drop. And I would tell every artist to just come to town right the best songs. You can stop trying to chase radio, because if you don't chase radio and you write a great song, it still can play on the radio, and it's going to be on the radio, and people be like, oh I know that guy because I love his albums and I love his music, and he created something that I can believe in him and not just a one radio song. Like I think a lot of people know me as the guy that saying eyes on You Drinking Beer Ride, which was a crazy cover that I did, and that's wild to me. Like, but you're seeing it are opening shows. It's weird. Our opening shows with Dirks. People want to hear those because they don't know the other stuff. They're there for Dirks something most people, right, and our headlining shows are completely different. Wow, Like they sing along with the ready st role, but they want to hear Fireside when I play him go Down singing, which they didn't even know because I just put it out that week and file their IDAHO a few weeks back. They didn't know it, but they shut up. Oh I believe this dude. Yeah, and they want to hear the new stuff. I think.
Speaker 3: God, it's kind of feel good to know that you've come full circle to a place where you can just be honest and that the fans want to hear.
Speaker 2: It, dude.
Speaker 4: And being able to play and go play Red Rocks and play those songs.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that made that moment.
Speaker 1: Even no offense.
Speaker 3: That's different than ready said role, you know what I mean, that's a different feeling out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bro Red have you have you ever played Red.
Speaker 1: Rocks with Dirk's in fourteen? Dude?
Speaker 4: That place is spiritual, man, And and to go be able to do what you want to do there and sing the songs you like, your truth in that arena oh yeah, which is not arena, but it's arena setting, like in that environment. Man, that's gonna be a crazy moment for you.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be way different than the last time. Because last time I saw a video and I'm like, my old tour manager showed me a video of us in fourteen and I'm like up in the crowd.
Speaker 2: Doing all the whole thing up on the rocks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, crazy, trying to get him fired up. This one's gonna be very different.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, man.
Speaker 1: I saw Ryan Bangham at Red Rocks. I've never seen a show from there, and I just played it that one time and I wanted to see a show because it's Red Rocks. I saw Bangam at Red Rocks a couple you know, months whatever ago, and it was so awesome and he I think he played like twelve songs in an hour and a half, like he jams a while. He's got a little jam band in him. And it was just awesome and it made me want a jam more. We have Oklahoma where we played for like eight minutes. Yeah, fireside, we started jamming. It's just we want have fun up there.
Speaker 4: Very musical place, Like you want to hear music playing, You want to hear guitars, you want to hear Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The thing I remember is going in is we were literally going to that that one lane or two lane road, but it's just a road that goes all the way back to with traffic. Dude, there's like mule Deer popping up around. I mean, you're you're you're looking at this at the Amphitheater and then you're looking at mule Deer to your ride. I'm like, kind of nice out of here.
Speaker 1: That's sick out there. So we're gonna do that show and then staying right for four days.
Speaker 3: Nice, that'll be sweet.
Speaker 1: What is uh?
Speaker 3: Let's let's switch gears?
Speaker 1: What about uh? To talk to?
Speaker 3: Just about Elkhinton. I feel like I've watched you kind of come into that and it and it take over your your your soul, little boy.
Speaker 1: Last year I did forty four days, so I started Elkhinton was playing kids. There ain't no way you have no wife, no kids walking into my house. You'll know I don't have a wife. But for it was perfect for me because first year I didn't see an elk, didn't hear one. Second year I saw one, third year got close to one. Fourth year killed one, and so like made me it. I was fully a nice progression, yep. And then I killed one for five years in a row. Other three years I did good. Two years I got lucky. And then last year I'm like, I'm good at this now. Yeah, forty four days. I got three tags Colorado, Oregon and Montana.
Speaker 2: The West will make you eat them words. I'm good at this.
Speaker 1: Colorado we got couldn't get a shot, and that was just a nobody's fault.
Speaker 3: You hunt all these all bokay.
Speaker 1: And then Montana I did everything right, like four and a half hours, got in there in got about a thirty yard shot on this bull read back, smoked it like middle high lungs because I want to stay away from the shoulder because I couldn't get a range on and put my fifty on his belly and just sent it and it hit like it hit a target. And I was using these new expandables that Cam Haynes got me on and I just looked at it. I was like, that was weird, but he should be dead. Like I've never seen my ear not disappear through a bull. Yeah, and uh we tracked it and never found it. So I had the worst year elk hunt ever last year as far as results, but I had the most fun I've ever had. And I didn't kill a bull, but I learned a lot.
Speaker 3: So going back, got the forty four days in the mountains man and.
Speaker 1: All the other ones were like six days, and I killed. I knew the year was coming. You always having your mind when you're on a roll, when's it gonna come and go? Well? For me?
Speaker 4: Last time I spent forty four days away from home hunting. I got broken up, sign I got thank god, I got yeah, thank god.
Speaker 1: I had the time of my life. Oh dude, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: We've never done it. We've never done it with our bow. We've been out there.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's like bucket list for me is to to go hike the mountains with my you know, with my Matthews in my back and go try to world and just like like we've been. We went to the Titans a couple of years ago, a few years ago in September.
Speaker 3: That's his wife. Do you know that I did not okay there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I said, thank god I got broken away.
Speaker 2: We didn't go to the Let me to her, but we were.
Speaker 4: We were hiking the Titans in the middle of the rut, dude, and I ain't ever.
Speaker 1: You weren't hunting, your hiking.
Speaker 2: I was just hiking.
Speaker 1: Incredible, dude.
Speaker 4: The only thing I wanted to be doing. I mean, we were hiking and the only thing I wanted to be doing. Like, I couldn't. I told her we were on this hike out of the mountains and we had four different groups of bulls just hammering around us. And I was like, dude, And in that moment, I mean I was, I was on cloud nine right then. I was like, but I can't imagine having a pack on my back and my bow in my hand and and and trying to figure out which one.
Speaker 2: To go after like that. That will be unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you just got to listen over It's funny because you'd be like in the middle of four different groups of different herds of elk, and you're just like you could probably get within twenty yards of all of them because you don't have a bow. If you have a bow changes the game.
Speaker 2: Like you had any grizzly encounters in mon time?
Speaker 1: Uh? No know how had? They had some big brown bear encounters in Alaska fishing, but that was that got pretty normal. Like there was we ended up seeing like ten over a couple of days of fishing backcountry, and uh, the scariest one there was we were walking out.
Speaker 3: Wait, tell me about where you went. I'm super curious because we're I'm kind of dipping my toes in the Alaskan Fishing Center and.
Speaker 1: King Salmon, Alaska. And they took us out on a boat, dropped in some pond and then we fished the river.
Speaker 4: There's always there's a there's a town called King Salmon, Alaska. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, red red Dog bar or red something bar. We went to that play. It was like everything you dream of in Alaska. But speaking of brown bears, we'd gotten used to them because they were around. First one we saw. We're in the river and it comes up within twenty yards of us. Me and John are just looking at each other like what is going on? And she's like the guys just like hey bear, hey bear, and he mosied on.
Speaker 3: And that's when that's a.
Speaker 1: Streaky at first. But we were walking out of the second day and uh, two cubs and a mama were walking a couple hundred yards away in the same direction.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I don't know what we're doing. But you're going in and out of tundras, so you're covered and stuff, and you come out and it's wide open, covered and stuff come out. It's wide open. So we and we lost the bears. We didn't know where they were. That's not a good feeling. And then twenty yards behind us, we turned around and one of the cubs pokes out, and that's when you start freaking out. You're just like, oh, do not let this cup because between the mom was right behind them. And then the cubs stopped. The other cup popped out, and we know she was behind him some where. We never saw her, but we got the hell out of there fast. Yeah, you're not running from a bear though we were. No.
Speaker 4: Heck no, that that thing about run downhill from a bear, Like, what do you do?
Speaker 2: Like like I've always heard run down here. I've always heard just be as try to be as big.
Speaker 1: As the bear. Like I don't have no guns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't know if what you had no guns?
Speaker 1: No guns? She had bear spray.
Speaker 4: We were in Montana on this, uh this section of and it had elk. There's a herd on it in public land and uh we we went up and we knew there were bears in the area and there had been a bear siding there a few weeks before, but they opened back up and it was really only one of the only public tracks that had everybody knew that had a hurt on there. So me, Dan and my brother in law went up and uh, we're seeing like just like picked clean skeleton, like like piles of like this.
Speaker 3: Just why they were in there, they were elk getting shot in there.
Speaker 1: With the past.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And they say, they say, bears out there will go to gunshots now because they're so used to them, and they'll they'll know that there's gonna be a gutpile there. So anyway, we're we're hunting and we're watching this hurd of elk on the other side of public on private just work this mountain, uh and and kind of funneling down. There's like a cliff that that we're like, all right, well, we're kind of pinching them into they're gonna jump this public fence where you get a shot. Right here, snowing pretty hard. Dan's kind of behind us a few hundred yards maybe a couple hundred yards, just kind of lasting and me and my brother in law are walking up and I'm walking kind of paying attention, kind of not just watching these elk and I end up running into like he's in front of me, and I run into the back of him, and I was like.
Speaker 2: Bro, what are you doing.
Speaker 4: He goes grab my gun, get my pistol, Get my pistol, and he's got us two seventy but he's like, get my pistol. So I reached his package because I was like, what's going on? And I look around him and I see like it's like somebody put a basketball, like a like a men's size basketball into the snow and then just put bare claws on the top of it. And I was like, I was like, is that what I think it?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 3: That a bear track?
Speaker 2: He was like, that's absolutely a grizzly track.
Speaker 4: So as we were stalking these elk, there was a grizzly in front of us. We were doing the same thing, and about one hundred yards in front of us is this group of of of trees and forest in front of us, which is the only way to get down. We've never seen one in the wild, but bro we Charlie's Angel down that slope to the It was me.
Speaker 2: Like and we were pissed off at each other.
Speaker 1: We need to go this one, need to go this way. That's what we knew.
Speaker 2: We knew there was a grizzly in the area.
Speaker 4: Man. And and on that track of land, like on that little that little section, there's been like like I mean attacks.
Speaker 2: Like like bad news stuff happened there.
Speaker 1: And then brown bears and Alaska are used to people. Grizzlies in Montana or wherever you're at. They don't like one people.
Speaker 4: And I feel like I have this feeling that I'm gonna go down by a grizzly or it's a rattlesnake. Oh god, I just I feel like that's how I'm gonna go. I mean, that's a tough way to go. But no, I don't want to. I don't want to know how any of those.
Speaker 3: That's what I never thee most about after seeing that, things like normally the three of us are hunting together, it's like you and your brother. It's like you'd be like, man, I think we just need to kind of skirt left in order to get back to the truck. Let's take this trail. And you'd be like, all right, man. Even if you disagreed, you'd be like all right, man, you know, or if he disagreed. But with this, it was like every question that came up was like, you know, life or death, and he'd be like, we got to go left, go the truck here, But no, dude, if we go left, we're going right by where that I mean.
Speaker 1: It was just like everything was we're run.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was just this height sense of y. You gotta be aware because they can pop out of an where they're gonna hit you quick.
Speaker 4: You killed a big deer in Illinois that had a not only a big, big rack, but he had another set of big something.
Speaker 2: They named him that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll see you guys a video of why they named him that. He went right in front of trail cam and just stopped and they're just dangling there.
Speaker 2: I've seen that before.
Speaker 1: I think I put it up or you've seen that on trail cams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's like like weirdly big.
Speaker 1: Weirdly big. So then into Big Balls and I was hunting Robert stand because we did an acoustic show for him, so he let me hunt.
Speaker 2: His spots Illinois.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I killed a big buck the year before, within like twenty minutes of the hunt, and uh, the biggest deer I'd ever killed. And then this one. There were some good deer around, didn't get any shots. And then Big Balls and there was another giant like ten I think it was giant. Why looks like a Texas deer. They start coming up a few hundred yards and left. I'm like, it's when your heart stops, just like, here we go. They got in.
Speaker 4: Yeah you're a bow guy, dude, I love it's just more.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah it is fair too. But they come in and the ten point it comes right in, right at dark, right in front of him, Like, oh shit, okay, here we go. My heart's pounding on my chest. I'm about to draw back and I might keep looking left because I knew the Big Balls was with him, and I mean this year as he was, I knew he was. I knew he was from two hundred yards away. They were walking in and I knew it was him, tell right away. It's just so thick and uh like, I think the other deer probably would have scored better. I think Big Balls is only one sixty three. But all of a sudden, I'm about to draw back and I see big Balls pop out like ship Heart's pumping that five last five minutes and maybe be able to shoot him, and I couldn't decide. Finally drew back. I couldn't see through pins at all, so I lost, didn't didn't kill either one. Just too dark, Yeah, I was fIF too dark, and I wasn't going to take that shot on those deer. Yeah he was at forty yards, which is a long shot, much less than the dark Arkright.
Speaker 4: That's that that time period in the afternoon when you can see outside your pins when you draw and you can't see your pans.
Speaker 2: It's so frustrating because you just have to sit there and watch.
Speaker 1: And I had to get you.
Speaker 2: I mean, you ain't gonna you know.
Speaker 1: So the next week I go back and everything was different. They were running hard and all of a sudden, I know where I see the dough pop up. I just kind of looking around and big balls came from the same area and he's probably thirty thirty five, and uh this is it was afternoon hunt, probably about I don't know, four or five o'clock.
Speaker 3: I had some time.
Speaker 1: I had plenty of time, and uh we looked for him in the dark, so what it was close to dark, but it was I had a lot of light. Yeah, and uh he comes out and I just it was just that instinctual thing where it's just like, give him one noise and he stops and looks right at me, and I just poked him, and you could I heard to hit him. Thought it was a good shot. But then I after as soon as I do it, I'm like, was he forty or thirty? I don't know, was it high, was it low? I have no idea. He ended up dying within and met it probably, I mean I stroked him. And that was one of the coolest films ever because you usually walk up to it and you're like, oh man, he maybe wasn't as big as I thought. Yeah, and uh I started freaking out. Yeah, Oh my god, he's huge, and he was wide, he.
Speaker 3: Had thick that's the that's the Midwest days, Midwest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was awesome. Fast forward seven more days, I'm in Chicago. Robert's like, man, you still got one more tag for shotgun for slug would you want to come back up? And I'm like, it's a night in Chicago. I kind of want to have some fun. Probably not going to kill anything. I've already killed a giant, Okay, I'll do it. Show up, have his shotgun and I see a dough come in within twenty minutes of me in this stand and uh, she's moving fast. I'm like, get ready something, something's gotta be on her tail. And uh, out of nowhere, this giant I think he was a nine because Big Balls was a nine. This one was a nine. But he's giant and wide, walks out. I don't question it, and I just blast him, smoke him. Uh, find a ton of blood. Ended up going further than I thought, but double lung them and just blasted him. First year I've ever killed, I think with a shotgun. That was weird. But in seven days I killed two one sixty year I think he was like right at one sixty one. Or something.
Speaker 2: I still they're growing big, They're growing big up there.
Speaker 1: Crazy a deer year last year. Yeah, I had a bad LK, but I had a blast. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'll take a couple one one sixties in the same year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I won't go back.
Speaker 3: That'd be just fine with me.
Speaker 1: Keep sending me trail campis he's got some giants down there right now.
Speaker 3: That's awesome? Is that close to Chicago?
Speaker 1: Is that what you're saying? It was a couple hours, I think got you.
Speaker 3: So you just left after the show, didn't even stand on.
Speaker 1: The bus, slept on the bus, and woke up and killed a deer within twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: Life of an artist I got.
Speaker 1: And I only had that morning, Like I had to play show that night. So oh you hunted one morning one morning for that second deer, that big balls I had to work for, which was cool. Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Uh So what uh man? What's next? I know you said you're you're gonna do the the I Hate Cowboys and the going Down singing record. What's in the doing the acoustic thing with the songwriters? What's what's what's Chase Rice? Where's where's his passions lie? Within the next five years. What do you what do you see yourself? What do you see yourself doing?
Speaker 1: It's a weird thing for me because something weird is going on with my whole career, which is I'm not having any mainstream success at all, really not. But then we're showing up the shows. We're shelling more tickets than we've ever sold. We're Merch's skyrocket, which is the biggest number of all because that means people are buying into you, not just a song. So I'm just gonna keep doing what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: A great place to be, dude.
Speaker 4: It's fun because go play shows, Go play the songs you want to play, you know, go play the venues you want to play, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're turning into this artist. That's that I think people just want to see. They want to buy into them, believe in, which I don't think I had before, and I don't think I earned it before. So I'm going to put out this acoustic, this go down singing record, it's out. I'm going to put out the Fireside Sessions, which is the acoustic stuff featuring the songwriters, and I think we're going to try to put out at least half a record beginning of next year. Just keep putting out the same not the same music, but just the mind space that the headspace that I'm in. Keep writing as many songs as possible, don't overthink it. If we write six songs, let's put them all out unless want of them is trash. But I'm not doing that anymore. It's like, I think it, wrote like fourteen songs for this next album, and we cut eleven of them. Yeah, all the songs are pretty good. So we're just gonna keep writing a bunch of songs and keep putting them out and hope something sticks. I just I don't know the formula anymore. I don't think anybody does.
Speaker 3: Nobody does.
Speaker 1: If one of them blows up on TikTok, cool, let's take it. If one of them goes to the radio, cool, let's take it. But I think overall the music is good. People want to come here, they want to hear these albums, and that's what we're going to keep doing.
Speaker 2: Well do congrats on everything.
Speaker 4: It feels like just sitting here talking to you and we've known each other for a little bit, it feels like I've never I've never hung out with you in this with this much like freedom that you're talking with and like a good headspace, you know, and this good of a headspace. It feels like you're doing great and the songs are reflecting that.
Speaker 1: And I remember like writing with you, maybe 'reett years ago, and it was just like, I think I just heard a song before the right It's like, man, let's write something like this. I thought hadn't even crossed my mind in nice three years, and now it's like, I got this idea, let's just write it. What happened And we wrote a song for the next album, first song off it. It's called Uh Cowboy Goodbye. Oscar had the idea. I started picking on the guitar and drop d and we wrote that song. And it's gonna be the first off the next record already, and it's gonna be featuring George straight right.
Speaker 4: I want it to George does speakstence man speaking into existence.
Speaker 1: George, let's go. I want George. I'm in the wrong key, don't go ingered on it.
Speaker 3: Sure that was important, you can't say that. I can't even remember the damn words dude singing.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that was important, that thing you had to say. But it's that part of the show for the worm that got it. You don't have to cut that out co it's on social media, so you don't have to catch it.
Speaker 3: It's time for the one.
Speaker 4: That yeah chasing. We do this thing called the one that got away. It could be a deer in your.
Speaker 2: Case, it could be a girl.
Speaker 4: Usually everybody, everybody that we talked to his marrias were like, it could be a girl, but don't say a girl.
Speaker 2: You could be a girl. Get the one out there. Could be a fish, could be a duck or a dog.
Speaker 4: Whatever you think of a song that that you didn't get cut It should have been a single, should be all of those.
Speaker 2: What's the one that got away for you?
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like every girl I ever loved has gotten away. It was gonna I'm not going there.
Speaker 3: They all did?
Speaker 1: They all did? I mean that Elk last year in Montana, that's the one would have been the I mean I smoked him right in the middle, and everybody I talked to us like you had to hit him the shoulders, no way or really I'm like, I was this far away from the shoulder.
Speaker 3: How much penetration was on the area? Did you get there about that much?
Speaker 1: It should have been one long. Yeah, they go a long way on one long right. He may died, he may live. I never found him, but that would be the elk that got away. The buck that got away was a giant eight point on my farm here in Tennessee. Saw him on cameras forever, saw him once in person, absolutely huge, probably one forty five inch.
Speaker 3: Eight giant, which is a big eight point.
Speaker 1: And then I got him. I was in a redneck blind over this one food plot I got and it was dark, didn't even have an air knocked like an idiot, like just knocked the arrow. As soon as you get in and you're in a comfortable, big ass redneck I'm like, I'm gonna open the window just to see if, like they have shades on them, which I took those down since, but I'm just gonna open see if anything's out there. Just getting light enough. And I look and there's a back half of a deer. I'm like, shit, look even further and Tim twelve yards away from me, staring right at me. Oh no, it goes. I knocked the arrow. He walks away, looks at me, walks back, but he's staring at me. I can't draw back Finally, I'm just like, I gotta do something. He end up saying screw it when his head's on the other side of this tree and he's eating all around this corn that we mowed down, which is legal.
Speaker 3: He said, mowed down. I was like, yeah, okay, it up.
Speaker 1: We got a good little plane. We do and uh, I don't know. I draw back. He's on the other side of the tree, and all of a sudden, he's as soon as I draw back, he likes skirts off. I end up sending one like an idiot, like, don't take the shot. He's literally not running away, but he's I was panicking, yeah, and I sent one. As soon as it hit got towards him, it hit something and went down on the rocks. Luckily, I guess whatever hits the rocks, I have a knock on the arrow, so I go find the arrow. Nothing's on it, I knew, and I go stand where he was and there was a huge branch between me and the blind I was in. I think I just hit that and it skirted off, sent it down because it should have hit his body, but I would have never found that deer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably best, probably, but.
Speaker 1: I never hit him, and I've never seen him since, Yeah, we're supposed to hit him, and that's the one deer that got.
Speaker 4: And the funny how like a guy shot up a gear in Kansas last year and then and then I've got, you know, really big gear hanging up on my wall. But like you think about the ones that, oh yeah, that you didn't find, or you think about the ones that you couldn't get a shot at way more than you think about the ones there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, while I was fishing that fishing trip in Alaska, we were talking about, uh, if you get on the get a thirty inch rainbow, you get on the picture on the wall, and uh, hooked into one thought, I hit bottom, takes off jumps. I'm like, holy hell, yeah it was close to the thirty inch rainbow. Who knows, But get him down to the reel. I'm hanging on. I look at her. I'm like, I'll hang on all day, Like I can do this all day. As soon as I say that, I just hit a tooth or something completely cut the line and I just throw my rod and reel. I'm just sitting there pouting sounds like. And on that ride home, I was just like, you know what, started writing this like poem or prayer. I don't know what I call it, but it said, thank you God for the fish today, even more for the ones that got away, so that you ask why, I thank the Lord because bent hooks and broke lines bring us back for more. It's the same concept with hunting too, But I got a cool little prayer.
Speaker 3: Out of it. I love that.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: Uh, favorite tune? This is greatest slash. Favorite song to you country song?
Speaker 2: What do you think it would be?
Speaker 1: We were just we were talking about don't close your eyes, that's up there, but let's go see what you got. The dance for me has always been looking.
Speaker 3: Man, you're gonna have to tell me. I don't remember. We don't even know it.
Speaker 1: Oh it was I'm good, I am.
Speaker 3: Shot and is that right?
Speaker 1: I'm glad?
Speaker 3: And the weed in the weed that a better left to Chinese. A good MISSI pain, but la ahead to.
Speaker 1: The man. I don't know how y'all sing at nine in the morning.
Speaker 3: Whatever, great, Well, I'm a bad singer.
Speaker 2: Anybody said a garsel? Have we had a garsel?
Speaker 1: I don't think so that's crazy for me.
Speaker 2: The dances iconic like high school.
Speaker 1: Girl, old friend, I remember dancing like some mountain when I was going away for college. I was like, this is.
Speaker 4: It for us, dude, Our lives are better left a chance. I could have could have missed the pain, but I had to miss the dance. I mean, I mean that song writing right there, man.
Speaker 1: The greatest country songs of all time.
Speaker 2: I'm with that.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Great way to wrap it up.
Speaker 2: Chase, appreciate you, Chris, I thought you everything.
Speaker 4: Hey, y'all check out the new album Going Down Singing fancy great song. I'm yeah, y'all go check it out. Check them out of Red Rocks. Where else you're playing this year? You got some more shows coming up?
Speaker 1: Oh god, we're everywhere. We've been with Dirks all year. We're kind of chilling in the fall because I want to hunting season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too, Red Rocks.
Speaker 3: So it's funny we're chilling the fall too, so maybe we should uh reenact a little hunting country back in the day stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we write.
Speaker 2: Songs with thanks. Hanging out guys. We'll check out next time.