Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to another episode on the Bustle with the Boys Spring Tour.
Speaker 2: As always, we are brought to you by Chevrolet.
Speaker 1: Chevrolet is a trusted company that has been innovating for the last one hundred years. Up to now, most electric vehicles have been either too expensive, too small, or too limited in capabilities for most people. Chevrolet has committed to making EV's available for all Americans. There is a growing network of public charging stations. There are over nineteen hundred certified Chevy EV dealerships. Chevy has a convenient ways to research and shop EV's online. EV's for everyone everywhere. Boys, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you.
Speaker 4: I don't appreciate you.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you guys watched the show very often, but anytime we have ads. I'm not a great reader. I didn't get into the University of Michigan because of my academics, so when I read, it usually doesn't go that well. So I appreciate you us seeing greatness right there. How we feeling today for the spring game? Feeling good? Yeah? What are your expectations? What were your expectations going into spring practice as far as getting better as a player.
Speaker 4: Shoot, my expectations.
Speaker 5: I was an incoming freshman, so I was just like trying to learn a lot. So I didn't know where it was gonna take me. But I started picking up a little faster and yeah, like I'm happy where I am now. Just got to keep growing.
Speaker 2: Because you had a lot of adversity going in high school.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, yeah, it was wild.
Speaker 1: What was your process like coming to Arizona State when before you were committed to Florida.
Speaker 2: All right, yeah, you're committed to Florida.
Speaker 1: Obviously there was a big story about you in massive nil deals. Yeah, and then now coming here, which from my understanding, there's there's not really any ip what was going on? Yeah, what was your thought process and that whole thing going through that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, my thought process it was a little rough because I didn't understand it at first. You know, it's a lot of question marks going on. Like but but honestly, how I ended up here? You know, my dad, you know, played here like ninety four through ninety eight or somewhere around there, so like I always grew up around the program, you know, just this was like the first colleague team I knew, you know, I was I was just you know, figuring it out and and it just meant more to be here. And that's why he, like coach Dillingham, he's an Arizona guy, like just like he's trying to feel it.
Speaker 4: Fill the room with people want to be here. So what happened at Florida?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we're having that Florida with everybody knows the headlines. Yeah, everybody knows the headlines. But your perspective, from my perspective, I mean, it was a you know, it's just new to everybody.
Speaker 4: It's new to a lot of people.
Speaker 6: So you say new you're talking about the nil stuff yeah, holding everything else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know it's just it's it's new to everybody. So you know, you got a lot of a lot of people you know included in there. So I mean it it's hard. It's hard to explain. But but on.
Speaker 6: The service level, it seems like reading articles, you had a lot of money on the table, most of fourteen million dollars essentially when you signed, they didn't actually have that money. And then that's when you decided, oh, this isn't what you guys said it was gonna be.
Speaker 4: That's when you decided to ask for.
Speaker 6: Getting out of your commitment on this purpase like reading from a third like, yeah, right outside, looking.
Speaker 5: At right, I think a lot of that just comes in to trust, you know, all that stuff aside, you know what I mean. So you know, when you're playing for somebody, you got to try to you know, you gotta trust everything around you. And just came down to trust. And that's why I ended up here, to be honest.
Speaker 6: Just interesting because you passed up a lot of money from probably a lot of programs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is an interesting financial decision to make when you were in high school, you're seeing the possibility of fourteen million dollars. Yeah, brother, I would ship my pants. There was no there were no nil deals at all. Like when we played in college. We bring up the same thing all the time. It's like we could get a bagel, but no cream cheese. Like all the NCAA rules were just wild and things just seemed like the wild West right now. Yeah, and they come here in this program like both of you to speak on it. Like, ASU historically has not been one of those programs that are you know in Nebraska and Alabama Michigan type thing.
Speaker 2: What was the draw for both of you?
Speaker 1: Obviously your dad playing here, and then where do where do you think this program can get to in your times being here in college?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Shoot, in my honest opinion, like keim p, like this is a bigger recruiting tool, you know, so like you win here, like you can keep it going, and and like who wouldn't want to live out here? You know while winning the Pac twelve, you know what I mean? So, like this's definitely a place you can win. And I'm sure you guys know, like there's there's certain programs that can get to that.
Speaker 4: You know, there's some programs that, like you know, won't keep going.
Speaker 5: But I think this is a place that we can win and to keep going becoming a tradition.
Speaker 6: How about you, Jeorde? What made you want to come? Come all the way to a Z from Louisiana?
Speaker 7: Yeah, man, I spent a lot of time out here growing up. This is when my dad did his off season stuff, you know, whenever I was coming up, So I spent a lot of time in the area. What's familiar with it? There were players in my position room that looked like me.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I'm an undersized so it was big to me that I was going a place where they played people that were my size, you know what I'm saying. So I knew that wouldn't be a factor in deciding who was gonna get on the field who wouldn't.
Speaker 3: And then outside of that, I just love to be bro.
Speaker 7: I love how close I am the Scottsdale all, love everything that this area has to offer, you know, as far as you know, social life, you know what I'm saying, The academic opportunities I had with the Crunk High School and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: So it was really an easy decision, no brainer for me.
Speaker 6: What kind of edge do you feel like you have because I got to play with your dad for I think just a year, but kind of being under his wing growing up, I feel like I've known you because I've watched when you're when Ryan would would put out all those videos of all the training he was doing with all those guys. You were obviously in the Malai you had a fro at the time, moving around great feet. What kind of edge do you feel like you've had coming into the college level, Like having a father like Ryan Clark, Man.
Speaker 7: It was everything, you know, it really is everything. In high school, man, my dad had me up at four thirty five o'clock before school working out, and I leave there and I go to practice, and then after practice, right back at the gym after school, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So, you know, just schedules like that. He kind of gave me the blueprint.
Speaker 7: So now whenever I'm doing the work that is to some people difficult, you know what I'm saying, or hard I've been doing my entire life is the norm. So you know, he's prepared me in really every way that he possibly could to you know, excel at this level.
Speaker 1: Was there a level of resistance when he was waking you up at five am and you're seeing all the guys in high school because we had we had Christian McCaffrey on here, and he was basically telling us a similar story about his dad. His They were like no sweets, they had gon be in bed at seven thirty and if you got ackled by your er, yeah, tackled by your jersey, you're literally grounded. And obviously at the time he hated it, but now he obviously sees his proof in the pudding.
Speaker 2: Like how was that?
Speaker 1: When did you start to realize like, oh, if I keep doing this stuff, it's gonna pay off.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Man, I'll tell the story. I was in my jem Bree my sophomore year. I had missed like two or three tackles. And if there's one thing that my dad did when he played it was he hunted Bro like he was a banger. So I missed three tackles and I seen him stand up in the stands and I already knew he's Matt. And the next day, Bro, he woke me up and he brought out Super Bowl helmet in his past and we did Oklahoma's for like an hour. No, no, bro, Bro, legitimate hour, like lined up across each other, like five yards away from each other, just ran into each other for like an hour. And I got yelled at, cushed out like everything, and I was like, I was mad. I went home crying like I was hurt. But how old were you sophomore in high school?
Speaker 3: How old is that?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was about fifteen. Yeah, how old are you know? About six years ago? Man? That is so funny.
Speaker 2: Bedroom that night before he walke come up just like this motherfucker's.
Speaker 6: But I will say this, whether it was walk through his jog throughs anything, even like being in the linebacker room or linebacker coach would even point out Ryan because he was getting when he was getting longer than the Tuesday, getting aged, something that he was always persistent at and professional. I was like, he always took angles and worked his angles every day. And I'm sure you've talked to enough old heads that played with him, but he really was like that until basically he died out of the league.
Speaker 3: No teasing piece of what we all.
Speaker 6: Die, but everyone dies, everyone dies, but you truly like, I mean, he was a he's a he's a pro. He was a pros pro. You have that as an old man. Shout out, RC, that's my only shoutout. I'm gonna give you on our platform, brother, if your whole bunch when he came on the show, I know.
Speaker 3: I know, I love Uncle r C.
Speaker 6: I'm sure were you did you live out there in Virginia when he was out there in Washington. I'm sure you're out there with the orange chicken. We get a cheesecake factory. Hell yeah, bro, Hey, he's sorry. Those are some good buys man, some good times. And Ryan always hosted. I learned a lot with Ryan with like the IVS and massage therapists. And when we came out to Arizona, like being over going over what was the ppeah? Yeah, yeah, he he looked a lot of a lot of his teammates, a lot of us up with his people for being in the league so long.
Speaker 2: So did he introduce you to n A D and all that?
Speaker 3: No, any D.
Speaker 2: First time I heard about an A D.
Speaker 3: Was uh, was out here with with Bobo?
Speaker 2: Yeah Nashville.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Nashville.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not out here in Arizona, but yeah, Nashville is the person I'd ever heard of it a D. But all this stuff with the with the ivs and everything like that, I feel like I was always surrounded by some good vets like Ryan who come in and they would always open the door back. Hey, come over, get work here, get work. There have stuff set up for everybody. He was always one of them.
Speaker 1: When you when your dad took you out on that faceful morning he did Oklahoma drill.
Speaker 2: That's so did he still have it or was he taking you out?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I was getting messed up the old Tom Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He had a super Bowl helmet on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he had a Super Bowl He literally had hel may he wore in the super Bowl, Bro, no picture and pulling.
Speaker 2: It out of like the glass case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, open it up, getting out real careful, wiping it down.
Speaker 3: Today he ordered like.
Speaker 7: A he ordered like a practice jersey that looked like my high school practice jersey, like broad and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, y, that is hilarious. So after that day, what lesson did that?
Speaker 3: T shoe, no misstackle, don't miss no miss taos.
Speaker 2: How are you tackling now?
Speaker 3: They were pretty good? Yeah, my team is about to go pretty good.
Speaker 2: That's not the way your your dad will answered that question.
Speaker 1: We had him on the bus and we were talking about Derek Henry, who we were talking about before the podcast, and he was saying that he would stand Derek up in the hole.
Speaker 7: Knocking lie Bro, I think he would. He would literally die trying, like literally he would crack.
Speaker 3: He would. He is willing to die to do that.
Speaker 2: So I believe you believe he would do it?
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, you don't.
Speaker 4: You don't think so we're talking you can't.
Speaker 3: I don't know why we're getting into this again.
Speaker 6: The majority, the majority of defensive players that would have a zero place to go lane against Derek.
Speaker 1: You're going to get Derek to the ground. Yeah, but you're the way you're phrasing it. If you're what about you're in open space. He breaks the hole, he's coming up.
Speaker 6: Now we're now we're changing the goalpost again, like, yeah, we're changing this is we're getting in this exact same conversation. Do you think he would Roberts playing Derek? Are you talking about Ryan? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Ryan through his body?
Speaker 6: Yeah, like I'm not I've never seen him, I never you need to type in right in Clark College. I'm not saying he's like the hardest hitter to ever come, like he's some Schawn Tier or anything like that, But I mean, yeah, Ryan is willing to rip, would have been willing to risk his life to win in the hole.
Speaker 3: You gotta love that man, he right, I mean, I.
Speaker 6: Mean Willison Wilson Gah, it wasn't like it's not like he was seeing him. But just yeah, go watch some Ryan Clark tape. I mean he he brought the boom. I mean, he didn't play just thirteen years undrafted. Just I don't know fluting out there, you know what I mean I'm wrong with.
Speaker 3: With Jade, And how have you been acclimating.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean act mating pretty good, like I think living in Timpee makes it a little easier, you know, being from California, Like it's not much different. I love it out here, Like I don't even miss home at all. Like I'm not even going back for summer, Like no no brakes or nothing.
Speaker 4: I'm staying out here but here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like you got everything you need out here, A lot of resources, a lot of like good networking, you know, a lot of getting networking.
Speaker 1: Hey, I've been out here in tenp I remember coming out here and visiting from Michigan. I know what the resources you're talking about.
Speaker 6: What what was it like with Coach D you talk about trust, trust.
Speaker 3: Levels and everything else. What was it about him that brought you here?
Speaker 6: Because yeah, you know, listen, everybody's gonna listen to hear about you passing up fourteen probably everywhere down to eight million dollars that you passed up from all these different schools to come play for nothing, And there was on the state. What was it about Coach D and that staff, Like what I know your dad played out here, that trust level?
Speaker 3: Talk about that?
Speaker 5: No, Yeah, so like a big thing too with me coming here was you know I noticed what it was before, Like as far as like the NIO stuff, and I was like, you know, it was it was making me realize what was really important, you know, because and what really like made me happy, you know, and and going through all that stuff like it didn't make me you know, it was just making things worse and worse.
Speaker 4: So I was like, you need to go somewhere that's stressful. Yeah, it was bad, Like it was bad.
Speaker 5: So I had to go somewhere where it met more to me and uh where I could trust everybody in the building. And uh so Dilly Dilly recruited me at Orgon my like into sophomore year, whole junior year, and I almost committed to organ almost committed to Orgon, and Delly told me like he's like, just go take your visits, like make sure like this is the place you want to be, Like he always he always like looked out like not even if it was in his favor. When I was committed other places, I was asking him like, hey, what do you think of this? What do you think of that? And he was like one of the few coaches I had that relationship with. So when when I got my release, like I kind of knew, you know, I knew where I was gonna end up going because like, yeah, that's somebody I trust. He never really lied to me like ever, always kept it pretty real.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: He's a guy that seems like he has really like an incredibly good energy. Yeah, Like he's the high energy dude you'll walk in through the cafeteria. He was yelling at guys from across the hall, just like a dude that's like young enough to still like exact relate with you guys exactly we got I know, we have to wrap it right around fifteen minutes right now, but just kind of like a two part or like from an Arizona State standpoint, where do you guys see the expectation for you guys going into this year and then where do you think you can get to by the end of your careers here?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Go first, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 7: Just for this year, man, the sky's the limit, you know what I'm saying, Just with the new energy that we have in the building and the new guys that we brought in, you know, getting kids like dating here man, the talent that we have here, and the opportunities that we have as far as our schedule this year, I think that we're gonna we're gonna shock a lot of people that we're gonna win a lot of football games. And I think we're gonna be the beginning of a dynasty here with coach Dellingham. And for me, I just want to I just want to win football games. That's all that's important to me. Individual accolades don't really matter too much.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: I want to play goodball always. But what I want is for this place to be return to the top. You know what I'm saying. I want to be top four, top five agains like there were some years ago. I want to do that stuff. I want to bring that energy back. So that's what I'm looking forward to doing.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, like, you know, to piggyback on what he was saying, you know, just winning, you know how important that is. You kind of see like how important it is to everybody on the team too, like just with the energy coming in. So I think this year, you know, players to win, you know, win as much games as possible, and really this year will set the tone for the years after that and just build from there. And I think this, like I think this program like could be playing for pac toil championship, Like I wouldn't be surprised if it happened this year, and definitely not you know, the next couple of years. On top of that, especially with the older guys, they come in like set the tone, like no egos, you know, helping a lot of the younger dudes out. And that always shows a lot about a team, you know, because been on like some team with individuals, you guys, you can't win like that no matter how talented you are. So and coaches big on like tradition, you know, and having a culture, you know, so he's definitely trying to bring that back here and like, yeah, I think I think sky is really the limit. Like I'm not even just saying that, like we'll shock some people.
Speaker 6: We appreciate you guys, man, I do want to know when when was the Arizona State in the top five?
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh, whenever they played Notre Dame that year they lost to Oregon State in the last game of the season.
Speaker 3: But I'm just checking, just checking.
Speaker 1: They said back Yeah, they said back to the top. I was thinking to myself, Yeah, I know in fact, all right.
Speaker 8: Take that actually have it. Hey, I appreciate you guys, man. Guess what okay, so not top. We didn't you do that, But that's what he's talking. He's like, he trying to get him back back in there.
Speaker 2: That conversation.
Speaker 3: Hey, we appreciate you guys many yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, guys always fellows.
Speaker 1: Subscribe rate five stars, big hugs, tiny kisses.
Speaker 2: Thank you,