Speaker 1: Okay, guys, here are my dates for the High and Mighty Tour. In June, i will be in Saratoga Springs, New York, port Chester, New York. I'm coming to Boston at the Wang Theater. I'll be in Portland, Oregon, Seattle, and then Hyannis, Massachusetts, and then two shows in Nantucket. In August, you can find me in Red Bank, New Jersey, Montclair, New Jersey, and Calgary. That's Canada. And September I will be in Santa Barbara, San Diego, New York City, Philly, and New Haven, Connecticut. October is Atlanta, Baltimore, Saginaw, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Boise, Idaho, and Spokane. And then in November I'll be in San Francisco. I'm coming to Salt Lake City, Austin, Houston, Dallas, Babies, I'll be there. And then in December, I am closing out my tour in Denver and Vancouver. So get your tickets at Chelseahandler dot com for the High and Mighty Tour. Hi Catherine, Hi Chelsea. It's almost Thursday. It's our podcast is Thursday.
Speaker 2: I have to tell you, I don't know if anyone can hear in the background.
Speaker 1: That's my new dog. That's my new dog, ray J. I have to tell you hist as usual.
Speaker 2: I asked you, like, oh, why did you pick ray J for the name? And Brad later that night, like ten pm, was like in the other room, he texted me, he goes. Just so you know, ray J is a rapper.
Speaker 1: I'm famil. I saw this dog and I'm like, that's rage. That dog reminds me of the name. It's a perfect name. Yeah, it is. It is.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Our guest today is a very exciting one.
Speaker 1: Okay is an astrophysicist, best selling author, host of Star Talk, and director of the Hayden Planetarium at the American Museum of Natural History. Please welcome Neil de grasse Tyson. Oh lovely we Neil.
Speaker 3: Hello, this is your babe. Cave here is.
Speaker 1: That the babe?
Speaker 3: This sounds better than a man cave?
Speaker 1: No, that does sound like? That does sound better? We need we need something like that.
Speaker 3: All parts of you up there on the wall.
Speaker 1: We do. When was the last time I'm going to take some medication? Since you're here, so you waited when I'm doing it's nothing too exciting, Otherwise I'd be happy to share when was the last time I saw you?
Speaker 3: I was on your show.
Speaker 1: It was the Netflix show was the last time, but before.
Speaker 3: That lately seen. I don't think i've seen you since then.
Speaker 1: No, no, I would have been the Netflix show was the last time, but we have I interviewed you before then also, I think so and Chelsea lately.
Speaker 3: But but it's been too long, pre covid BC, before COVID.
Speaker 1: How did COVID treat you?
Speaker 3: I was novid until like a couple of octobers ago. So yeah, I didn't get it at all. Yeah, you know I want to do that too, can I do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chris Cross Applesauce get into it. That you could get into this position. That's pretty impressive for a man. Oh, Neil de grass Tyson. Look at this, Let's see how it needs it? Do you need a pillow to secure the area?
Speaker 3: Need?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, we'll do it. We'll do it with you.
Speaker 3: Look, we're all sitting like I was a performing a member of three different dance companies.
Speaker 1: I did not know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's nothing like being in dance shape because you're nimble and strong and flexible, and so I would just fold up whoever I was and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm glad to see it's still working.
Speaker 3: Doesn't come.
Speaker 1: Well, that's okay. I think you're doing a good job.
Speaker 3: It's good, but it's a couch for that purpose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is. Congratulations on your new book. It's called Take Me to Your Leader, Perspectives on your First Alien Encounter. When is this going to happen?
Speaker 3: I can't wait? Well, I mean it's overdue.
Speaker 1: First of all, there's really I mean everything used. I'm fascinated by you as i've always been because I don't understand anything that you understand. I know you're an astrophysicist, but you also are You are able. You have a nice knack for kind of explaining to a layman.
Speaker 3: What I try. I mean, I'm an educator, so any educator should have some kind of knack. Otherwise they're just a pontificate. They're lecturing rather than educating.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: You can lecture, and if people paying attention, maybe that's okay. But consider that after college, any time someone lectures to you, you say, no, stop lecturing me. You're lecturing me. It's a bad thing after college because I think it implies that that you have to meet them all the way where they are to learn what they're trying to teach you. But I think if you're a real educator, you think about what's going on in the brains of the person who you're talking to, and you should be taking the biggest journey to them.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, that's what you do in this book, is you try to take on the perspective of alien invaders and all the different realms of possibility that those kids they could choose to arrive in.
Speaker 3: It's a love letter to our fascination with aliens, That's really what that is.
Speaker 1: And to our assumptions about aliens.
Speaker 3: I just want to challenge some assumptions. One of the biggest assumption is that it looks humanoid. Right, you know, most life on Earth does not look human, and we have DNA in common with it. I talk about bananas, yes, okay, that we have between twenty twenty five percent identical DNA with a banana. So I'm thinking an alien coming from another planet should be it either has no DNA in common with us or no DNA at all. Right, Who says DNA is the molecule universe, right, right, So it should look at least as different from us as we and bananas look from each other.
Speaker 2: Do you think about anything that's on the bottom of the ocean, like that's where.
Speaker 3: It looks alien? And I got it. I got one for you. Maybe I'm jumping ahead. I don't know what your agenda is here. But let's suppose only a few dozen people had ever seen an octopus. Just picture of this, and now they testify in front of Congress under oath you gotta believe me. There's this squishy thing in the ocean. It's this big. It has eight legs, and each leg has suction cups on it, and it's got big eyeballs, and it's really smart, and it could change its surface pattern to blend in to disappear in its environment, and it's you just say this, They'll look at you like, okay, draw it. And no one can draw these things, right, So if you look at the drawing, it's like what And so they would parade forward, and until someone brings forth an octopus, it will always be about do you believe in octopuses? But to believe in them? Do you believe those testimonies? Do you believe it? So I'm saying now that high ranking people have said they've got aliens in the back forty or in the shed? Is it too much to ask them to bring out the alien.
Speaker 1: To say that an octopus isn't an alien?
Speaker 3: Well yeah, well because we can check the DNA, so it's.
Speaker 1: Of this earth. So based on an octopus's DNA, it's of this planet. So we know it's not correct correct.
Speaker 3: So that's that's a good check.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a good check. That's good to know. Like, and you open this book talking about bananas and chimpanzees, about our DNA make up with chimpanzee. Yeah, it's almost basically the same thing. Yes, Yes, what's the difference.
Speaker 3: A chimp is perfectly comfortable sitting as we are, you know, resting an elbow, you know, looking around, and they like bananas just the way we do. It's ninety eight plus percent identical DNA. And what is Here's what we say, here's what we tell ourselves. We say, well, the chip, a smart chimp does what they can stack boxes and reach a banana suspended from the ceiling. That's a smart chimp can do that. And whereas we have poetry and philosophy and science and art and the James Web Space telescope. So if you're prone to think highly of us as a species. You'll say, what a difference that makes? But I pose the thought experiment in the book. Imagine an alien species that's that two percent different from us that we are from chimps, just in the same vector. Just put them up there.
Speaker 1: It doesn't that wouldn't that have the same DNA too? If you're saying, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: So it's hard. It's a thought experiment. It's whatever it is that separates us from chimp containing that two percent, give that same separation to some other species. However that separation can be manifested. What would we look like to them? We would be squawking idiots in their presence, just the way. I don't call it chimp an idiot. But a chimp is not doing long division, all right. A chimp is not building, you know, skyscrapers, or airplanes, or farms or lithium farms. So very good lithium farm that could be in our future. So so that's only two percent. What would a five percent difference be. So when we have the audacity to say, let's go out in the universe and find other intelligent life, that presumes we're intelligent, well, who said we're intelligent, We didn't, Okay, so yeah, think about that one. So would an alien consider us to be intelligent if we are today what chimps are to us? And so I just it's an important thought experiment. The alien should be way smarter than us.
Speaker 1: Well, also with the argument that you is also in the book, they're the ones that are visiting us. We're not visiting them.
Speaker 3: So they got here and we only just weeks ago left low Earth orbit for the first time in fifty six years. So yeah, if they visit us, they're going to be smarter, they have better technology, might even be better looking.
Speaker 1: And they might have no I mean, and we have no idea how many. First of all, let's go to basics. First of all, can you define what a light year is? Just for light?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, it's not not a year with fewer calories. No, a light year. It's a convenient unit of distance to talk about how far away something is. So the nearest star system to the Sun is four light years away. Just turn on a beam of light. Four years later the light arrives at that location and light is very fast, And that's.
Speaker 1: Kind of like when you see a shooting star the same thing. Right.
Speaker 3: Oh, no, shooting stars are in our own atmosphere.
Speaker 1: Okay, so light years not in our atmosphere.
Speaker 3: No, no, shooting stars are not actually stars, that's the problem. They're just it's particles of dirt and meteoroid. We call them meteoroids that they're the size of a pee typically, but they slam into Earth at ten miles per second and they just burn up in our atmosphere. That's the streak of light you see. Some are big. They'll make it all the way down and if you find.
Speaker 1: It, make it all the way down to Earth surface. Oh okay.
Speaker 3: And if you find on the Earth surface, then it's so I see its streak. It's a meteor. It hits the ground meteorite.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, no, I don't know anything about any of this stuff. So if it hits the atmosphere, then meteor And then if it hits the actual land of Earth, meteor right, okay, got that? Oh that's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And really big ones, the really big ones don't really get burnt up at all, and they'll leave a big crater. So when Arizona has a huge crater that was left by a meteor, uh, fifty years ago.
Speaker 2: Oh, hey, have you been thinking about writing into Dear Chelsea. Well, now is the moment. We're taking advice questions on anything that pops up. It's wedding season. Are you having wedding drama? Write in about that thing that you can't seem to agree with your spouse about but you absolutely know you're right. Chelsea can tell you who's right and who's wrong. You can write in about a big life decision or just something small dating drama.
Speaker 1: Right into Dear.
Speaker 2: Chelsea podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Talk about Area fifty one. This is the area that we are. Historically America has used to research or study any sort of alien life or other extraterrestrial life.
Speaker 3: I would word that differently.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you go go ahead and work.
Speaker 3: It's a secret Air Force base?
Speaker 1: Okay? And it doesn't.
Speaker 3: It's it and they do secret stuff, they do secret military stuff. They'll test aircraft, they'll and that became a convenient place for UFO and alien enthusiasts to say the government is hiding aliens there. Now, let's make it. Just make sure we understand the difference between a cover up, which would be a thing that happened and no one wants you to know firstus just something that's top secret. If something's top secret, it's not a cover up, it's just top you're not going to learn about unless someone leaks it. So it's been the supposed place where the government's stockpiling aliens, but that's never been. People have declared it again, you have to believe them, But no, I want the janitor. Get the janitor right with their smart everyone's got a smartphone, high resolution video camera. Just take pictures of the alien and then stream it out the Janit would lose lose a job immediately, but it would be the richest most famous janitor there ever was.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because you wouldn't really need a job after that, that's right, And I think once you've been a janitor you shouldn't have to work that long anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, and it is kind of a catch twenty two now because everyone says, like, why aren't we seeing all these UFOs. Everybody's got a camera phone now, But then when you do see a video of somebody catching something strange, it's like, oh, well that's fake.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we're living tough times now. Because photoshop was the first to be able to just toss in a little saucer in your picture. But now do you just it's a command line in an AI chatbot, you know, produce a picture. So it's really hard now to bring convincing video of an alien. So that's why you got to kind of bring out the alien.
Speaker 1: So you would say that in your opinion or you you tell me.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Area fifty one is just an area that has been designated to study this kind of extraterrestrial life.
Speaker 3: No, I'm saying it's to study secret Air Force stuff, right, but if you want to think they got they put aliens there, okay.
Speaker 1: But identified flying Unidentified flying objects UFO.
Speaker 3: The Air Force has studied UFOs like since forever. I mean, there's Project Blue Book was one of the earth been several, but that one is perhaps the most famous of them. And what it did it studied everybody's account of things in the sky that we didn't understand. And remember this is the Cold War, all right, and so just think of governmental motivation for this. If you crowdsource stuff in the sky, because you can't look at every square inch of the Earth, and you get people to report it to you, they're your radar. They'll find stuff that the Russians might be working on. So it's what a brilliant way to collate what everybody think. Oh, you might say, oh, they could be aliens. That boosts the interests that people would place in participating in such a thing and in reporting what they find. But in the final report they said they found nothing that couldn't otherwise be explained by natural causes, and that which couldn't be explained there was no strong evidence that it was extraterrestrial, and so but there have been other studies. But meanwhile, but kind of none of that matter is now because we have high ranking people testifying in front of Congress, whistleblowers, insiders, former military, former intelligence officers telling you standing there flat footed with an on his face after swearing in that they got alien bodies, alien crash saucers that they reverse engineered. And so, so, okay, it's not just the farmer you know in the back ford.
Speaker 1: You know, Obama admitted it on a podcast recently, and that was big.
Speaker 3: Well, well, he's scientifically literate, so he said the correct thing. He said, he has no reason to doubt that there aren't aliens in the universe, And everyone said, he's thinking aliens on Earth or in the you know, but think about it, if there was a government cover up, surely the president would be in on it. So so, deciding whether a president is saying the true speaking the truth often is only a matter of whether you agree with what the president is saying, and then you say it's the truth, right, and so so for me, I just just bring out the bring out the octopus, right, bring out the elephant. Bring out an elephant. Describing an elephant would be just as weird as describing an octopus.
Speaker 1: Think about it, well, when you frame it like that, I mean you frame a lot of things in this book, which makes it so interesting. Like, say, we all have this idea because of all of the movies we've seen that have aliens in them, and the way that aliens.
Speaker 3: Have saying we're ready, we're ready for aliens. Yea, all the movies. We are so pumped. Bring out the you know, show me the aliens sitting in the corner smoking a cigarette or so.
Speaker 1: They are so pumped, But we're not ready because we don't have a I don't think based on everything you say in this book, I don't think we have a clear representation of what an alien would even look like.
Speaker 3: That's correct, that's that's correct.
Speaker 1: Or if Donald Trump could be an alien, he could be it could be dressed as a human.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I comment on that in there, not Trump specifically, but if an alien were masquerading as a human, as they did in the movie Men in Black, you could do that, but you would not survive a medical exam. Okay, your heart is in the wrong place, or you're well.
Speaker 1: What if they're able to mimic being a human being?
Speaker 3: If you mimic it, then what does it matter at that point? If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, walks, and just call it a duck. If he looks human and you put all the organs in the right place and it's got bad breath in the morning, it's a human, right. I mean if something else happens weird, like it's ton comes out and it's this long, you have some evidence.
Speaker 1: What if it was operating on behalf of the whole other culture, you know, like say say like, okay, so say that's what's happening, right, they come down.
Speaker 3: I even didn't like about which part. No, No, it's fine, Okay, I didn't have one part. She finally meets she goes back to her alien friends and whatever is their spaceship, and so they're there and they're surrounding an illustration of the flat Earth. It's like, no, I'm I'm going to give you an alien, but I'm not going to give you the flat Earth. Okay, we have.
Speaker 1: Nast interesting Why do you think they did that?
Speaker 3: Because they I think they wanted to bring together multiple conspiracy series into one narrative. Yeah. I don't know if you noticed that at the end, I did it. Yeah, they're around a circle. Yeah, yeah, No, I caught that immediately because the flat Earth, as say, there's Earth and then Antarctica is the edge of Earth and it's around so you can see that in there. So I think they just they had to catch bin and they put everything in it. But that's a spoiler alert.
Speaker 1: Well I'll put it in a spoiler alert in audio.
Speaker 3: So I.
Speaker 1: Don't have time to accommodate these people problem. Yea, But I like the way you posited in the beginning of the book where you're like, if aliens were to come to Earth and say, okay, take me to your leader, we might confuse. We might think that leader is Donald Trump. We might think that leader is Taylor Swift. We might think that leader is you.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, we know our leader is our official leaders, the Pope. But the alien might not because they're seeing our leaked radio signals and they're seeing who we worship, and there's Tailor Swift, there's Beyonce, there's people filling the airwaves mm hmmm, and they're thinking those are the important people who these so they might expect to be taken to Tailor Swift, is my only point.
Speaker 1: So what do you believe?
Speaker 3: Because the radio waves are escaping at the speed of light. So we're in the middle of a radio bubble, which is the the broadcast signals of our culture expanding at the speed of light. And it's gone out. It's about eighty light years.
Speaker 1: Across, and each light year is one thousand years, or each light year is one year light years six trillion miles, six trillion miles miles.
Speaker 3: That's how far the light is gone. So if you've only ever been on cable, you're not in those airwaves. If you did anything on TV, they'll get a little piece of Chelsea coming by their way.
Speaker 2: M Chelsea lately is not not going out right.
Speaker 1: It was on cable was that think, Yes, I was on cable. That sounds like a dig Neil.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just so you know. You know what else is not out there is Beavis and Buttead that I think we should be perhaps thankful for that. If the aliens first encounter with humans are these shows, it would be just a little weird.
Speaker 1: After studying this stuff for as long as you have been, what do you think really with regard to aliens?
Speaker 3: So you look at life got started pretty quickly on Earth, like almost as soon as it could happen.
Speaker 1: How old is it planet Earth? Thirteen?
Speaker 3: That's the universe thirteen eight billion years. Earth came much later, four and a half billion years.
Speaker 1: Four and a half billions, and we spent half.
Speaker 3: A billion years very hot because we're getting slammed because the Solar system is forming, and so you don't want to start the clock.
Speaker 1: Yet, so nobody's alive.
Speaker 3: No, no, you can't, there's no you can't even have big molecules. Then start the clock when we're cool enough to have big molecules. Life got underway within one hundred to two hundred million years. Sounds like a long time, but it's five percent of the timeline of the Earth, So it's almost as soon as it could. So a B. We are made of the most common ingredients in the universe, hydrogen, oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, peroxide. Yeah, so so peroxide is I think proxide. It's oh, what is peroxide?
Speaker 1: You're not asking?
Speaker 3: So we got underway quickly, and we're made of the most common ingredients in the universe.
Speaker 1: But did we get underway quickly? I thought you just.
Speaker 3: Said life life humans Humans are much later.
Speaker 1: Okay, so organism correct.
Speaker 3: So if that's the case, you would be inexclusibly egocentric to suggest that we are alone in the universe, because the universe is vast. There's hundreds of billions of stars in the galaxy, the Milky Way Galaxy, and hundreds of billions of galaxies in the observable universe. So run around here saying you're the only thing happened. If we were made of some rare ingredient, you could say we're special, something special happened here, but we're not, and so you can't. And so yeah, no one is going to deny that this life. That's a separate question from whether we have been visited. And what I do in the book is I just ask other sets of questions that other people aren't. I say, all right, if we've been visited by aliens, why are they only showing up in restricted military airspace? Why are they only coming into the grips of our government? The government is not everywhere we have the whole surface of the Earth. Why why isn't there a crash flying saucer in some place where there isn't a government that's going to cover it up. They're just questions I'm asking. I.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've asked these questions too, because I thought Area fifty one was just stupidly Unless this is also what you're saying, I assumed, Wait, why is extraterrestrial life only go to this one area?
Speaker 3: That's not what you would have to You would have to the alien would have to land, and they have to secretly grab it and take it to the with no one seeing this. They'd have to take it to the Now they solve that in Men in Black because they had that little light that you look at and then it takes away your memory of what just happened, so that they needed that absolution.
Speaker 1: Sure, but or is it this or versus alien life and extraterrestrial life happens and is rampant, and then they just put everything in the area fifty one to study it in that little.
Speaker 3: Sense, you have to somehow get it there, no matter where it landed.
Speaker 1: Right. So, but what's the problem with that?
Speaker 3: To get there with no one noticing it and the number of people who would be in on it. There's a quote from the quote from Benjamin Franklin in his Almanac, Three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead. He wrote that seventeen eighty five. The boy knew something about people's inability, especially juicy. You could keep a secret. If it's not juicy, then no one cares, and you don't have these urges to say you want to hear a secret. So that's why I'm I don't have a problem imagining we're stockpiling aliens, but since we've had insiders saying that they're there, and so it's no longer a cover up. You can't say you're covering something up. If insiders are telling you you're covering it up, it's no longer a cover up. So there, so is it too much to ask to bring out the alien? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Bring it out, because I don't feel like I don't think anyone. Well, actually, I don't know what people think. I mean, people are about to vote for Spencer Pratt for a mayor of la So I don't know what people are thinking. But as a general idea in the world, I think, like you know, extraterrestrial life and aliens, it's more like an of an understanding now, like, of course something else must exist. Of course we're not the only people.
Speaker 3: That's why those who said the reason why the government doesn't want to show because they're afraid the public would freak out. Look at all the movies we've been treated to out of the creativity of our own species. Just look at, like I said, what the insiders are saying. I think it might even be anticlimactic the alien. Come, I say, Hey, we got better aliens in the movie Spielberg than that, you know. So yeah, I'm just sitting back eating popcorn waiting for the presentation of the alien.
Speaker 1: And what are your first hand experiences like that you've heard of from other people in your community that have like that have stayed with you?
Speaker 3: Okay, so none of my colleagues have ever seen anything they could not explain. I spent my whole life looking up I was a geek kid from age nine. I had a telescope at age eleven, at age twelve, and.
Speaker 1: So you didn't upsex for a long time. It's okay, you're able to give back another way.
Speaker 3: Always marry an astrophysicist, because you know where they are at night like that. And we used to have these geeky things, the bumper stickers. Nobody uses bumper stickers anymore.
Speaker 1: Big for yourself.
Speaker 3: I love heavenly bodies. You know this sort of thing. Black holes are out of sight. There's the geek bumper stickers. So I care about observing the night sky. So I know about the sun, moon, stars and planets, and I you know what else. I know about weather because it gets in the way of me looking at the night sky. So I know all kinds of weather patterns, cloud patterns, what twilight light can do, how it can deceive you. So I would say a few percent of the things that I've seen that were really weird, I only knew what they were because of my extensive background in the subject. Telling me that other people would just report that right for the police. Whatever. So back to lower than average reporting of UFOs among people who spend their whole lives looking up in.
Speaker 1: The astronomy computing, does you understand what you're looking at? Like I just I recently went to Finland and saw the Northern lights beautiful and so once that was broken.
Speaker 3: Your first time, Yes, imagine if you didn't know what it was, I.
Speaker 1: Would think that was alien.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, completely, and in fact, the very name Aurora I think through through that's the official name of the northern lights, Aurora borealis. And in the south it's Aurora Australis. If you didn't know that, just with I think it was. Is it in Greek mythology there's an aurora a colorful Yeah. So it's beautiful and it's it's fully explained. Yeah. Yeah. Another one, there are clouds, so I have to be Professor Neil for a moment. Okay. You have warm, moist air going horizontally across the ground, and it hits a mountain, and then the air goes up the mountain. It's cooler on mountains than it is at the bottom. If you have moist air, that moist moisture condenses out of the air and makes clouds. That's why it's common to see no clouds anywhere in a mountain a clouds right on top of the mountain. Those are called aura graphic clouds, and depending on how they're made, they can look like a a disk, like a cap on top.
Speaker 1: Of the mountain, because they do not because they get stuck.
Speaker 3: Well, because that's because it's cold enough there to take the moisture. That because right near this humidity in the air here. But it's not a cloud. If you take it high up, it'll condense and make a cloud right way, hang on, right at the top of the mountain. Now, now the sun sets for you, so you're in darkness, but the top of the mountain still sees the sun, the setting sunlight, and so the cloud takes on this this this reddish orange hue, and you're in darkness and there's this glowing cloud at the top. That's the mothership, of course, but that my book. I have a photos of this just so you can see if.
Speaker 1: If but if also yeah, but why is the cold air get stuck there? When heat rises?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what happens is that sun doesn't heat the air. This sun heats the ground, and the ground heats the air, and that air will rise and so rising air if it has any moisture at all eventually condenses out and makes clouds. That's why clouds are generally well above your head and not down here. A cloud can form at ground level. We have a different word for that, isn't that great? A fog? That's just a cloud that's like it on the ground. And when you're in a fog, you're never hot. Fogs are always kind of dank and a little cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right right, Yeah, like the word dank. Actually, we need to be using that more.
Speaker 3: Dank. It's a great word.
Speaker 1: But if heat always rises, why are the mountaintops so cold?
Speaker 3: Oh? Because, yeah, there's less ground around you to be heated. It's the ground that heats the air. You've been in an airplane, have you've seen the temperature? You know that? Where are you in the rude and what's the outside temperature? It's forty below zero outside. This is the same earth where you were just down year and it's seventy five degrees. Why you go up a little, You're closer to the sun as you get forty degrees below zero. So the sun is not heating the air. The sun is heating the ground. So the hottest part of herst atmosphere is just above the ground.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is good.
Speaker 3: Take these clouds. Okay, sorry, it's just in black and white. But those are oorographic clouds. Now, imagine that twilight lit from below. Because you're lower down, your sun is set for you, it sets later for people higher up. Now on the previous page, So that cloud was made by a rocket in twilight because its rocket plume is high enough it still sees the sun. Evidence that Earth is curved is you're high up. You see.
Speaker 1: I didn't pushka. I think that was shepherd or something.
Speaker 3: I was just being articulate with my fingers in my hand.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: So so that's still in sunlight and you're not, so it's just glowing against darkened sky. People freak out when they see that that's a SpaceX launch.
Speaker 1: By the way, Oh okay, I mean it makes a lot of sense. What you're saying is because you have an eye, a keen eye that has studied this. So when you're looking at these things that another a lay person may look at and say, oh, well, what is that. That's got to be an identified flying object or what I identifiable blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: You know, because yeah, more than most people, when I look up right, But that doesn't mean that some of them may have no explanation at all. I'm not denying that, but even UFO enthusiasts recognize that most people, when they're identifying most things, will have a natural explanation. They want to sift through all of that and get to just the bottom the few percent that might have no obvious explanation, that's all. And if those are aliens, I would then ask other questions.
Speaker 1: And but do you have like, have you.
Speaker 3: Heard either from any of my colleagues.
Speaker 1: Nothing, You've never heard anything that you were like, Oh my god, this is mine, this is blowing my mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Do I have a cousin who, while in Puerto Rico, said that there was a spaceship that was hovering over the nearby homes and it stayed there for a while and then it shot off into the distance. And I don't know him to hallucinate. He did like drugs at the time, but not so. Yeah, so do many people, but they're not talking that way, right and so and he said someone else saw it with him, So okay, okay, that was the early nineteen seventies. You realize the only two kinds of people who carry cameras. Back then, tourists and journalists, we didn't have cameras. In fact, most people you were in show business. Most other people are photographed once a year for the school picture. Okay, that's it. So access to cameras. So all I'm saying is, if that happens again, take out your smartphone video it. I have a colleague who's head of a committee who said he appointed by Congress. By the way, he wants to set up a do I call it a task force, an app that everybody has on their phones. If you see something, you go inside the app, and when you take pictures in the app, all the metadata is preserved, what direction you were looking, the elevation, the altitude, the color balance, all of this, so that multiple people do it, you can triangulate on the thing that you saw and establish its authenticity at not being something in your head. Even without that, everybody's got a high resolution phone. We don't have pictures of people getting abducted. Why not everybody? It was all the rage in the seventies. Everybody's getting abducted through stories written about in the papers in a national inquirer. That's half their sales. We're talking about abducted people getting abducted by aliens. So show me the alien walking towards you, abducting you and live stream it. That will go viral. Videos go viral for less, right.
Speaker 1: So I feel like though, if there is are, if there are aliens, and they are so much more intelligent than we are, since they're the ones studying us, not the other way around, then they would be able to make sure that that footage never was released.
Speaker 3: That's what they said. In the days when they had cameras, they said, oh, it did take pictures, but they blanked out the job right, right, if you're live streaming, okay, you see it, and did you start live streaming? That's and the app would probably make that easier, by the way. So here's another thing. There used to be these flying saucers along the roadside that people had pictures of it. Again, why would you have a picture of it because no one had cameras. But let's say you did happen to have a camera, and so there's a flying saucer there, it was clear as day there it is usually dark against the light sky. And all those went away when cars stopped using hubcaps. There are no roadside flying saucers pictures of roadside hubcaps. These were set things from your wheel that you'd hammered on and they were kind of decorative sometimes, And every road is guaranteed to have a pothole. You hit the poddle, you lose a hubcap, you don't even know it, and you're the hub cops were strewn along the freeways and so if you find one in Fla it take a picture. You've got a UFO. We don't have those anymore since cars won't have to.
Speaker 1: Then what is yours? What do you think?
Speaker 3: I think picture people took pictures of hubcaps.
Speaker 1: But what do you think now? So do you think there is not an intelligent life like and other places or in other places, but we just haven't witnessed it? Like, what do you what's your assessment of bring.
Speaker 3: Out the aliens. They're people who say they've witnessed it, and so we've taken away the surprise factor because of that, and people of high rank. There's a two nearly two hour documentary on this, the Day of Disclosure, that just came out, like last year, in the end of last year, a whole parade of people, including government officials. So I'm tired of hearing people ask do you believe in aliens? Bring out the aliens, and then no one has to ask that question again. You don't have to believe in octopuses, you don't have to believe in elephants.
Speaker 1: Do you believe we have aliens that were holding or hiding in this country.
Speaker 3: I don't like to believe in things that I have to believe in to believe.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, yes, it actually did.
Speaker 3: It did.
Speaker 1: It's gonna have a lasting impact, that's okay, Okay, a reverberation if you will, Chelsea. I feel like you need to home with Neil. No. I don't mean in a romantic sense. I meant for like a learning song.
Speaker 2: But I feel like you need to dive into quantum theory.
Speaker 1: We've got weather.
Speaker 3: I cherish adults who are curious.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about quantum physics. Break it down, bring it off, break down what that means.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you want a little primer on yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Want, yeah to make it digestible for our audience and our listeners. Sure, this has been an ongoing kind of curiosity of mine because I can't really seem to wrap my head around it. So I was looking forward to.
Speaker 3: So let's start out with the I forgot who said this famous physicist might have been Moxiplank, who said, the day you understand quantum physics is the day you can be sure that you don't because it everything about it is weird. You know, how do what to you? What makes sense? What makes sense to you? We were forged in the planes of the Serengetti trying to not get eaten by lions. So that's how we evolved. So we have a certain sense about that something with big teeth is chasing you, you run the opposite direction. You pretty much don't have to think about that, all right. That's what forged our senses. When the microscope and the particle accelerator got us to very small form manifestations of nature, whole other laws of physics revealed themselves that we didn't evolve under. Yes, it matters in us, in our molecules, but in our sense, our sensory system does not experience it, and so it's not part of what we call common sense. I just want to start with that.
Speaker 1: Okay, common sense, it's.
Speaker 3: Not common sense. It's common sense that i'd let something go in it drops gravity, you push something in common sense is.
Speaker 1: An understanding that we all share.
Speaker 3: Yes, because while growing up in the same world. All right, so here's what we find. You're sitting there. If I shine light on you to take a picture, you're still sitting there. Okay, that's because you are much bigger than the photons of light that are striking you. Okay, so they hit you, they reflect off, they go to my camera. There's Chelsea and Chelsea and Chelsea and Chelsea seven times on your wall. Okay, what happens if I make you smaller half the size, one hundredth this size, a billionth this size. Here's what happens the moment you're the size of particles, and I say, is the particle sitting there on the couch? Let me find out, and I shine light on it. The photon hits the particle, the particle pops to another state of existence. You don't have access to matter on that scale, because to even know what it's doing requires shining light on it, popping it into some other place, some other state of its own existence. And so so what it means is when we describe matter at its smaller scales, we describe it statistically. The particles somewhere there and you want to find out exactly where it is. You can shine light on it, but it's going to be somewhere else. Just keep doing this. You can create a statistical understanding of nature at that scale. And Einstein hated that. He said on multiple occasions, God does not play dice with the universe statistic and so so it turns out Einstein is wrong. What the universe doesn't plays poker. Okay, it'll play dice. The universe doesn't play poker. So that's one feature of very tiny particles. We are so big. It doesn't do that to us. It just doesn't. Okay. Another thing that particle can behave as a particle and as a wave. That's kind of weird. We have no way to wrap our brain around that. We tried. We tried inventing a new word. Wavicle. Never caught on you ever hear that way now? Never caught on. I thought it, we had a chance. I thought it back in the seventies, maybe sixty. I thought I had a chance. Never caught up wavicle. Because you now have to put in your head the existence of something in two completely different manifestations of itself simultaneously. That's not how everyday life works. You're not You're not sitting there as a human being one moment and a and a you know, and a candle in the next moment, not knowing which you are at any No, you are. You are persistently this but a wave particle. Duality is fundamental to quantum physics.
Speaker 1: Meaning that the two things can be happening with your person at the same time or with any matter.
Speaker 3: The particle doesn't matter matter. I feel bad my foot came off the couch.
Speaker 1: Well do you feel bad for your foot or a particle?
Speaker 3: So uh, other things it does. You can create two particles at the same time because matter and energy are interchangeable, so you can take energy.
Speaker 1: That equals matter and energy are energy equals.
Speaker 3: Mc squared Since nineteen oh five understood that and so one Just so, that's another duality thing. It's just the same thing, different sides of the same coin, matter and energy. So a particle. You can take energy and create a pair of particles that are complimentary to each other, a matter antimatter pair. The other ways, you can create particles in this way and then separate them. They know about each other. They I don't want to call them the same particle. I'm going to say they're entangled with.
Speaker 1: Each other because of proximity.
Speaker 3: Because of how we made them, how we create. Now we can put one here and the other one across the room. If I make a measurement on this particle, I will immediately know the properties of the other particle with which it was entangled, because that has complementary properties. And so was there a limit to this distance. No. They can be quantum entangled across the universe, and when you measure one, the other one gets known instantly. So this is something moving faster than the speed of light in the vacuum of space. They're what we call virtual particles, pairs that come in and out of existence, and they're entangled. I spoke with a colleague of mine who studies this. He said, there's emergent thought that the entangled particles are connected via wormholes, and that those wormholes is this are the stitching in the fabric of space time. So it's like WHOA, Okay, So again this is quantum physics just being out there. By the way, there is no creation, storage, and retrieval of digital information without the co them. The entire it revolution exists because we figured out how quantum physics worked one hundred years ago. In the nineteen twenties watershed decade in science.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, in nineteen twenties.
Speaker 3: Nineteen twenty Oh my god. If you have to pick a decade in the history of our species, that's the decade because in that decade we discovered that the whole universe is not just the stars of the night sky. Their whole other galaxies that have stars of their own.
Speaker 1: But aren't we still discovered. I mean, I don't want to the nineteen twenties.
Speaker 3: It's not a matter of the number of these things. It's the nature of the truth. Okay, Okay. The nature of the truth is the stars of the night sky are not the entirety of our universe. There are other groupings of stars out there that are galaxies just like ours, but they're far away that just like looks like fuzz and they're billions of those hundreds.
Speaker 1: Of billions, and we don't we haven't even discovered all that.
Speaker 3: Well, we've seen them, but we don't go there because we get Okay, So there's that. That was nineteen twenty three, in the mid twenties, then nineteen twenty nine, Edwin Hubble the man discovers that these galaxies are flying apart from each other. So we're in an expanding universe. And in the nineteen twenties we discover what particles do when PopEd and prodded, and we came to finally understand the atom. That is quantum physics, and all of our electronics depends on it. It exploits it, it understands it, it uses it.
Speaker 1: And so what is the particle to the atom?
Speaker 3: Oh? Right, So you have an electron in a traditional atom, and then you have the nucleus, which will have protons and neutrons. Typically, okay, nucleus protons have a positive charge, electrons negative, So you'd think they would ah, you would think the electron would just collapse into the nucleus because it's got to opposite charges attract, right, But no, it stays out here. And and we so desperately wanted the atom to look like the Solar system. It was wait a minute, is a nucleus and their electrons going around it? Maybe it's it's the Solar system all over again, but just on a small scale. And so you look close, it's like, no, the electron is not orbiting. It's like hanging out in these clouds described by the wave that it also is. Okay, so but so badly did we want to analogize itto the solar system that we called it not an orbit but an orbital. So electrons are in orbitals around the nucleus of the atom. So now you have an atom. Electrons can come and go. So the but the atom is the nucleus and the electrons. Then the electrons can share their orbitals with other atoms. They can give one donate share. Then you make a molecule. So molecule is more than one atom joined. And here's what's completely mind fuck. Okay. Hydrogen is a flammable gas. Oxygen promotes fire. Okay, no smoking near oxygen tanks. You put them together. It makes H two O, which is water, which extinguishes fires.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Take sodium, a metal that's soft enough to cut with a knife. That's explosive if you put it in water, like labs are always immersed in oil, it would explode if you put it in water. Chlorine a deadly poisonous gas used in chemical warfare in the First World War. Chlorine gas. Okay, you take sodium, combine it with chlorine. You get table salt sodium chloride. So the behavior of molecules is so different from the individual behavior of the atoms themselves. It's like a it's like a circus. Yeah, of, And this is why chemistry is an entire field onto itself, and all that is enabled, empowered, and manifested because the rules of quantum physics.
Speaker 1: So when we talk about something like I think what we've been talking about more on this show has been like simulations, right with regard when we talk about I think we kind of mistake, we think we're talking about quantum physics, but we're actually not. Because well, book, when people talk about time travel or space travel, like what what what purview does that fall under?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you can travel forward in time using Einstein's relativity.
Speaker 1: And do you believe in that?
Speaker 3: Oh? No, no, no, we can.
Speaker 1: We've that's real.
Speaker 2: It's we're doing right now.
Speaker 3: It's well, we're traveling forward in time one second per second, yes, but we are prisoners of the present forever, transitioning between our inaccessible past and our unknowable future. And so the holy grail in there would be to step out of that prison cell and access your timeline either forward or backwards. I talk about that in a book as a possible alien power where their relationship with time is different from ours. And if they're living like a fourth or higher dimension, then you know how you can move around in this room up, down, left, right, and you can repeat that all right. You're not a prisoner in any given spot. Imagine your timeline stepping out of it and then rejoining it. And then someone says, well, when were you born? No, I'm always being born, right. Then when did you die? I'm always dying right here, and I'm always doing all these things at all times. So it changes how you think about time. Now. With einstized relativity, if you go fast, time will tick more slowly for you than people back here on Earth, so that when you come back you might have aged. Depending on how fast you go, you could age a year and Earth would have aged ten years. That was famously shown in the movie Interstellar. Did you see that film?
Speaker 1: I did, but I don't really remember that.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of really crazy sciencey stuff.
Speaker 1: Which his theory of relativity means that you can travel to the future, yes, but you can't go backwards.
Speaker 3: No, you can't go backwards right. You can travel into the future of the people who used to you were hanging out with. Okay, and because because when you're traveling fast, time ticks more slowly for you.
Speaker 1: But traveling fast at the speed of light fast.
Speaker 3: Speed of light, time stops. So you don't want to go that fast you want to go you don't even just half half of that be greedy.
Speaker 1: But how are you traveling like that a space? You have to be in a spaceship.
Speaker 3: Or a rocket, I presume, otherwise space is not very very good for you.
Speaker 1: But I mean, people in space aren't time traveling.
Speaker 3: They are if they traveled so astronauts moving five miles per second. That's how fast they are in the special Okay, small compared to the speed of light. But you can calculate when they come back how much younger they are compared with a twin that they might have left on Earth. And so you can say, well, is it just a theory? How do we know?
Speaker 1: Wait, they're younger than their counterpart because.
Speaker 3: They didn't age as fast, so therefore they're younger. Yeah, they're not younger than when they left. They're just not as old as they would have been had they stayed on Earth. Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: But if you can go forward, then you should be able to go backwards.
Speaker 3: Well except Scott.
Speaker 1: Bacula did promise us this, and quantumly, I mean.
Speaker 3: The issue is going back in time. Because so suppose you go back in time and prevent your parents from meeting each other.
Speaker 1: That would be a great by the way, or as was shown in at least one film, and I forgot which one it was, might have even been a rival.
Speaker 3: If you go back in time and delay your parents for having sex for ten minutes, probably a different sperm would have fertil lazed the egg and you would be someone else. You'd be one of your siblings, but not you.
Speaker 1: But I bet I'd still have a podcast.
Speaker 3: So it doesn't require the gore of the terminator to kill people to prevent someone from being born. Just prevent two people from meeting. Watch. If you did that, then you never have been born. To have gone back in time to prevent them from meeting each other. Just think it through. Think it through. So there is a paradox of backwards time travel that is not entirely resolvable unless the universe splits into a whole other world. And so they're the multi universe people who think this way.
Speaker 2: They did talk a little bit about that in Dark Matter, Blake Crouch's novel.
Speaker 1: And then there was a.
Speaker 2: Show that came out last year or last couple of years, where you know, he is sort of it's a multiverse thing. He's like, well, in this other universe, my wife and I conceived our child of a few minutes different, and it's like a boy instead of a girl, or it's you know, a totally different.
Speaker 3: Came So in that way, whatever timeline you disrupted, it became its own timeline and its own future. So, because you would have prevented your parents from meeting, and therefore you would not have been born, to go back in time to prevent your parents from meeting, the only real way out of that is to have the universe split and you create a whole other timeline of events.
Speaker 1: But why does going back in time necessarily preclude you from being born?
Speaker 3: Only if you happened, either on purpose or by accident, prevented your parents from me each other.
Speaker 1: But isn't it a scientific theory? And maybe it's not. You tell me that for every like, for every thought or every action, there's a reaction.
Speaker 3: Well, in forces, yeah, there's a force.
Speaker 1: There's a there's an opposing force, correct, right, So if you could go into the future, you could go to the past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, except it's not so much that you're stepping out of your timeline and then rejoining the future. Your time is just going more slowly going forward for everything. I understand that, just at a different rate. That's not the same thing as stepping out and rejoining. Okay, yeah, because to your point, if you could do that, then why not go to the past. But if you go back to the past, you're going back to a predestined.
Speaker 1: Event, event that has already happened, and.
Speaker 3: You're not going to change it. Okay, Okay, So now Stephen Hawking came out with a chronology uh protection conjecture, which is he's suggesting that maybe one day in the future we will discover a law of physics that says why that's impossible to happen. And what is that called a chronology protection?
Speaker 1: Correction protection?
Speaker 3: I didn't say erection, that would.
Speaker 1: No, I know, I don't worry. I won't on you.
Speaker 3: So, so this time travel thing is it's no end of storytelling and science fiction. People love it. Now here here's here's this scenario that I just want you to think about. Uh, there's a hypothetical particle called a tachion from the Greek root tachios, which is fast like tecometer measures how fast your engine is turning. So so we invented that word for this hypothetical particle that lives faster than the speed of light. Okay, if it did that, it would live backwards in time. So let's look at what that world would be like. And let's assume one day in the future we harness these tachions and I can send you a text with tachions. You would then get the text before I sent it. That's kind of cool. So watch what happens. You're my friend, I care about you. You're walking down the walkway and you slip on a banana peel and get hurt. And I say, okay, I can prevent that from happening. All I have to do is text you with tachions. Said you get a text before that happened. Okay, So watch what happens. I send you the text and I say, Chelsea, watch out for the banana peel. While you're reading the text, you step on the banana peel because you weren't looking where you were going, so the banana peel fate is built into that timeline.
Speaker 1: Okay, because it already happened.
Speaker 3: Because it already happened, because in a way I made it happen. I created that loop. And there's something called a gin particle. Since you're going there, I'm gonna take you all the way? Can you go all the way? You got that? Okay? A gin particle is a something that was never created nor destroyed. It only exists in a time loop. And it's freaky to think about this. Do you remember the movie Somewhere in Time. There's a love story that Christopher reeves in it. Okay, if not, let's go.
Speaker 1: To message in a bottle.
Speaker 3: I no, uh well, let me describe this Somewhere in Time, just because it's so romantic. He's a professor at a university and an elderly woman comes up to him and hands him a beautiful jeweled locket and says, come to me, come back to me, and then she disappears, and he gathers some information like what is this. He goes to a physics professor friend of his and said, she was around sixty years ago and she is asking you to come visit her. When they're in their twenties. Okay, and but I don't know how to time travel, but this professor has a way to time travel. So he time travels, goes back and meets her. She doesn't know who he is, but she said, come back and meet me. So he meets her in this like beach hotel and they befriend one another. They fall in love, and he so much feels for her. He gives her this locket that she had given him in the future, and she cherishes that until she hands it back to him sixty years later. It's a beautiful love story. No action or anything, nor chase scenes. It's just a you know it's and so that locket was never created nor destroyed. It only exists in this look you see what I'm saying. Okay. And the Back to the Future Michael J. Fox version of that is, I presume we remember this movie. Okay. He's at the school dance. Yeah, and he's he's performing Johnny be Good and the person who was hired to be the band that night is the cousin of Chuck Berry. Okay, and so he hears Michael J. Fox's character Marty performed this, and he calls up Chuck Berry, Chuck, Chuck, this is your cousin Marion or whatever not Marion, Marion Barry was your mayor here whatever you guy's name.
Speaker 1: Was, Martin Mark.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I was close, Chuck, Chuck, this is your cousin, Marvin. This is that sound you've been looking for. And he puts the phone out to the stage and he hears Johnny be Good played by Michael J. Fox. There it is. Johnny be Good was never written. It exists in this time loop.
Speaker 1: Right, And you've only given us two examples in movies.
Speaker 3: I know because because it's a more subtle but for me, highly interesting example of how a time line can trap something in a loop.
Speaker 1: So that would be a time warp, right.
Speaker 3: No, next week I'm seeing Rocky Horror, I'm brother time or anyhow, so time it's fun to talk about time. And in the chapter Alien Powers, I explore the powers that aliens have had in famous movies and to mind reading, and I look at what's the physics of it? How would that manifest? What? How what you should be cautious of if they can put a thought in your head?
Speaker 1: Game over, well, it feels like that's already happening. But it's not aliens, it's just algorithms.
Speaker 3: And so we've already displayed our susceptibility. But if they can do that neurologically, game over. So do you know what can prevent electromagnetic penetration of your head? A metal shield over your head because electromagnetic energy can't pass through the metal. Okay, which is tinfoil hat?
Speaker 1: All right, well, I guess you're gonna did you bring some of those? I mean it only at an hour, then it feels like I talked to you for thirty seconds. I think I time warp.
Speaker 3: So the tinfoil hat would resist penetration of electromagnetic energy, which is what they would need to use to read your mind, because your mind is creating electromenetic We know we generate brain waves because you have electrochemical activity in the brain, and principle that's readable in principle an advanced alien technology. Why wouldn't they just be able to read it like that? So, but you can't cheat physics and the physics you can't send waves through metal. So the tinfoil hat, which of course in the old days was made of tin, now it's aluminum. Aluminum foil hat is what you would need in order to not have an alien either read your mind or implant your mind with their thoughts.
Speaker 1: Well, and also it's confusing now because artificial intelligence AI has become such a big part of our culture and our future, and that's what are It's like AI is being blurred or blunted by by other AI. Like now we have we have we have self made.
Speaker 3: AI is AI itself. Right, Yeah, So in there I talk about a sufficiently intelligent alien would chuckle at our AI because for us, our great measure of our AI was can you simulate our intelligence? But an alien that's much more intelligent than us would just laugh.
Speaker 1: At that, right, do you want to do that?
Speaker 3: I'm way beyond you anyway? How charming that is? Well.
Speaker 1: The book is called Take Me to Your Leader. Perspectives on your First Alien Encounter by Neil deGrasse Tyson, blessing us with another.
Speaker 3: Work of his Thank you for your interest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm always interested in talking to you. I like the way you explain things. Thanks for coming and.
Speaker 3: Enchanted by your curiosity. It's uh, it's it's an educator's dream to be surrounded by people who continue to ask questions well into adulthood. Long after childhood, because the real dip is coming out of elementary school. You go into middle school and high school, the kids have such charming curiosity and then it goes I think gonads kick in, you know, and it's like there's a gap. Maybe it resurrects again.
Speaker 1: I think it does in college. I think the classroom isn't always the best place for learning for so many people.
Speaker 3: It is, You're right, just the environment, Like sometimes you.
Speaker 1: Just have to like that there's so many other social aspects and like things can distract you that you really like, I know, like I yeah, I think a lot of my friends also feel the same way. Where you become curious when it's not when you're not being forced to.
Speaker 3: Maybe okay, because then it would naturally gurgle up within you and yeah, being suppressed.
Speaker 1: Or anything about this. Now I have the patience to learn, whereas before I was like trying to forget a boyfriend in school, I had other things going on. You know, there's a pecking order. I was trying to get to the top of it. So there's other distractions, right, right, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So, so I think a person who retains their curiosity through there and into college. I think they're prime to become scientists because then the world is your oyster, right and and if you care that other people are as excited as you, then you become an educator on top of that. Love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is great, awesome.
Speaker 3: Now, I love your work. I love your work right back at you. You are you are, Just stay, stay.
Speaker 1: Stay, I'll stay on top of it. I will no problem there. Yeah, we do need it, we do, we do. It'd be great if I mean, I'm actually looking forward to Ailings coming and rescuing us and just like, listen, we're so sorry about all of this. We're actually gonna take over. I'd be like, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: If you want advice from Chelsea, right into Dear Chelsea podcast at gmail dot com. Dear Chelsea is a production of iHeartMedia. Follow Chelsea on all socials at Chelsea Handler, and find Katherine on TikTok at flash Cadabra. Dear Chelsea is edited and engineered by Brandon Dickert executive producer Katherine Law. Find full video episodes and minisodes now on Netflix, and get tickets to see Chelsea live at Chelseahandler dot com