Speaker 1: All right, welcome everybody. Week two or one or zero of the Fade this podcast Matt Jones Drew Franklin. Week one was a very successful week. We previewed the SEC and the Big Twelve to widespread accolades across the world of sports. Drew, I enjoyed it. Here's what I want to say to all the listeners out there. You all have a job. You're supposed to tell one person to listen to Fade This as a matter of fact, I want you to tell one person that's not even like a fan of the team you're a fan of. So if you're a fan of Kentucky, tell a fan of like Boston College. Okay, if you're a fan of Illinois, tele a fan of I don't know, Boise Stay. You may not know them, but just call somebody up in the phone book. I don't care, but I want you to tell one fan because we're going to do a contest later where if you've told a fan you can win it.
Speaker 2: I like that you directed people to the phone book that might have a hard time finding one of those. But yeah, if you have access to the Boise phone book, call them up, tell them, tell them listen.
Speaker 1: Do they still they still do phone books.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I mean they lasted longer than they should have. I remember some hitting my porch within the last few years, but I think that calmed down and maybe even died.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't think i'd realize un till right now that they don't do phone books. You know, when I started practicing law, the first advertisement Jones and Bruce made was in the phone book. And I'm going to tell you something for lawyers, and I think lawyers would know this. The phone book was a very lucrat like. We probably got seventy five percent of our earliest business from the phone book.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, most people don't know a lawyer, you know what I mean. They just like, let's go the phone book. Those two young guys look handsome, you know. We had a serious scowl on her face and we were like Jones and Bruce, and I think people go, I want them to do my adoption.
Speaker 2: We did.
Speaker 1: The very first thing we ever did was an adoption.
Speaker 2: Wow. Look, I like this blasting. Did you all have a whole page? Like the half the page for you a little bit?
Speaker 1: They were very expensive. You could buy like the back of the book was like way out of our price range, but you could buy a full page, you could buy half. I think we bought a quarter. But we were very young at the time. We kind of thought we were like ruggedly handsome, so we like were very intent on putting our pictures. Apparently the woman who sold them said, I don't now this may have just been our line, but she was like, I don't tell people to put pictures if they're not good looking, because if you're ugly, it actually is better to not have a picture. And so with the phone book, Yeah, you didn't know that, Like, well, think about it. You're just naturally more like to go to a handsome or a beautiful lawyer than like a I.
Speaker 2: Mean, if there's a fat guy with his suit didn't fit in crook, yeah, I'm not calling him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because if I have an ugly son, I should tell him he cannot be a lawyer.
Speaker 1: Well he can't. He just can't advertise in the phone book. But then your son's probably not gonna know what a phone book is.
Speaker 3: That's true. Transitioned out.
Speaker 1: So all right, well, uh with with that intro that gets you ready for what we do here, which is we are going to This is part two of our conference preview. Already previewed the SEC and the Big Twelve. We're going to do the Big Ten and the ACC today. We'll start with the Big Ten. And I would like to start with this thought for you, Drew. There are eighteen teams in the Big Ten.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you think we can get an agreement?
Speaker 1: But amongst these conferences to have the number next to their team conference be the number of teams. Here's my suggestion. The Big Ten is allowed to be the Big eighteen, and then the Big twelve just has to pick something else, like Happy League. One of them use a Roman numeral one use Big twelve first of all, because they're worse. They just have to pick something else. You know.
Speaker 2: I don't know God's plan. I would love to watch the gods playing championship.
Speaker 1: I don't care what it is, but I do not like that neither the Big Ten nor the twelve Big twelve have the correct number next to their teams. That's confusing. Children would look at that and go, this is stupid, So I think they need to check.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Younger generations who don't know what a phone book is also won't remember that it was the Big ten or the Big twelve. They're just going to count the teams and say this is dumb. Imagine you have a kid, Billy, Okay, I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to be your kid, William the fourth.
Speaker 2: Daddy, You're you're playing okay? Yes, son, Hello, Son, I don't like.
Speaker 1: That you name me the fourth. Kids make fun of me. Tough daddy. We're watching Big ten football on Peacock. What does big ten? Why is it ten?
Speaker 2: Well Son?
Speaker 3: Back in the day before all this realignment, there was only ten teams in the conference.
Speaker 1: But now there's more.
Speaker 3: There is, and they're just too lazy to change it.
Speaker 2: All right, so you can see the Diliver. This is gonna be a great episode. You know, I got a lot of feedback about episode one, more than usual, But I didn't realize how much people wanted us to sing Broadway musicals. Most of it has been about our Book of Mormon. Lots of people loved our Orlando. I can see why I didn't get a lot of feedback about our Vandy over Under or you know, all the other stuff we talked about. But the musicals, I think we might have found a lane we should stay in.
Speaker 1: I actually was singing I was singing the one that I did. Oh wait a minute, we can't play these on the air right like they get masded. Okay, so I guess I have to sing it. But I was doing the I'm going to baptize her. I've been singing that in my head. I'm going to bathe in her sins. I've been singing that for like a week straight. I can't get it out of my head. You and this listeners, Yeah, go see the Book of morm. All right, let's get started. First. Up is Illinois. Billy, give us some facts?
Speaker 3: Yes, can you tell me the head coach of it?
Speaker 1: I actually can, Brett Belama.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 3: They went five and seven last year. They averaged or they allowed thirty points a game, so it didn't go well defensively, but they did play a little bit better later in the season got them to a five and seven. Finished though great.
Speaker 1: He was the guy that I said I thought his wife was attractive, And then Billy started talking about how hot Sam Pittman's wife was and he couldn't stop, Like he's everywhere I hear everywhere Billy goes, He's like Sam Pittman's wife. You know, I get the Sam Pittman be a confusion, though they have similar buildings. What is the what's the over under? What is the five and a half? So last year they won five. I look at their schedule. I'm gonna pick their wins. They have Eastern Illinois and Central Michigan. They go to Kansas. They're not gonna win that game. Kansas is good this year, right, they host Minnesota. I think Minnesota's bad. They host Michigan State. I think Michigan State is bad. So they have four games. I feel good about him winning. Then they host Purdue. I'm gonna take the over. I see six wins on this uh, on this they play north that they may play Northwestern at Soldier Field, UH the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and that game might decide if they get the over wonder I say they win, I'm gonna take over.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go under. I just don't feel very confident in them. They're They're traditionally not a good school. I'm looking at that record. You know, if you lose Kansas, you go to at Nebraska at Penn State. On the first five weeks, I mean, you could start two and three and the wheels start falling off. So I'll go under there. But shout out to Brett Beeloman.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, shout out to britil Illinois football is one of those teams I don't know anything about. Like, give me your best Illinois football memory, Lovey Smith just that his beer was watching. Yeah, there's nothing else to say about, Like, seriously, give me an on the field Illinois moment that you can remember.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna have.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 2: I think I could just read through the phone book before I would come up with.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go further. I don't think I've ever seen thirty seconds of an Illinois football game. You can you remember watching an Illinois football game? Ever?
Speaker 2: No, I mean I've seen enough to know that Lovey Smith had a white beard, so I guess they've been on my TV.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go further. I don't think they have ever been on television. I cannot remember. I couldn't tell you what their stadium looks like.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: Can you name a player that played there?
Speaker 3: I can't. I'm looking through their history.
Speaker 2: I can do one. I don't know why I popped in my head. Didn't Dick Buckets play there? I mean, I'm going way back. No, I'm going way back. It's not recent. I had a good running back. Further, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Say Illinois might be of the power for schools, the most mundane, nothing to talk about team that exists. I cannot think of a team that I have less memories of than Illinois.
Speaker 2: I really can't. I can't name a game.
Speaker 1: For those of you that don't listen to KSR the text machine where you can send us text seven seven two seven seven four five two five four send me if you have an Illinois football moment, what it would.
Speaker 3: Be for me?
Speaker 2: It would have to be it was on before a game. I was excited watch and I caught the Terror and they.
Speaker 1: Didn't think they're good enough to get that ESPN noon slot that Purdue always plays in. I don't even think they're in that game. I'm with you, So there you go, Beard under If I can't think, if I can't think of a moment in that team, ever, then I can't pick the.
Speaker 2: Open I placed the name of the running back, Minden Hall. Wasn't that someone Rashad Mindenhall. He went to Illinois. So I have Dick Buckis Lovey Smith's beard and Rashad Minton.
Speaker 1: Hall great moments Indiana. I do remember some Indiana games because they beat I think they played Olhio State once in a game that really mattered. I think they lost, but it was early in the year. The Kentucky's played them.
Speaker 2: They were pretty good, just a couple of years ago, Michael Pennocks before he transferred to watch what's there tell me about?
Speaker 3: They did beat Wisconsin last year twenty to fourteen.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: They fired their head coach Tom Allen, So they now have Kurt Signetti. Can you tell me where he's from? No, James Madison.
Speaker 1: Why did they fire Tom? What did he do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did get James Madison coaches last year.
Speaker 3: Not a great year for the Hoosier.
Speaker 2: Good hire by them, though, James Madison. Remember they even had game day last year? Yeah, you almost. I thought that guy would go to a better job than in Indiana.
Speaker 1: Really think he would. Indiana seems like a pretty dead end job to me. Well, l remember him? Yes, what's there over under whatever?
Speaker 2: Five and a half?
Speaker 1: All right, so they'll play Florida Illinois, they'll beat them. They play Western Illinois, they go to UCLA, who's terrible. They beat They play Charlotte. They do have a lot of the good teams. They play Ohio State, they play Michigan, they play Washington, but Ucla stinks, Maryland stinks, Northwestern's not great, Michigan State, and.
Speaker 2: They can start five and oh yeah, I'm gonna go ahead.
Speaker 1: If it's five and a half, give me over on Indiana.
Speaker 2: I like that too. I think they start five and oh and then it certainly gets more difficult.
Speaker 1: You get with the Northwestern and they can start seven.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah in Nebraska, Washington, Michigan, I mean Michigan. But those are all home games.
Speaker 1: I'll go over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gona get off to a great start. My get a little confidence, and I trust James Madison's coach, whose name is Billy say it again, Signetti?
Speaker 1: Yeah him. The key game for them is that week three at Ucla. They need to win that because you say that's not good. They won't. I mean, who in La is gonna be like is coming to town? Let's go prime time in Pasadena. That's the game they need to win. What's next.
Speaker 3: Iowa went ten and four last year. They lost their bowl game to Tennessee UH in the Citrus Bowl, and it was very, very common knowledge that offensive coordinator Brian Ferrence lost his job because he couldn't score enough points.
Speaker 2: Friends, Yes, uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Iowa. Honestly, like being an Iowa fan, would you want to be a fan of the team that's the worst to watch, but is good.
Speaker 2: They just keep winning though at the end of the day they go home smiling because they won. But it is boring for a ball board last year, especially.
Speaker 1: Easy schedule this year. Honestly, honestly, they're a they're a sleepy playoff team in the Big Ten. They play Washington, but they play them at home. They do not play Penn State. They do not play Ohio State, they do not play Michigan, they do not play USC. No, wait a minute, they do play at Ohio State. So let's assume they lose that one. But then you look at those other games. There's not a reason they should lose any of they. I mean, you could make a strong argument they should go eleven and one, ten and two at the worst. So if the over under is nine and a half, which is what it is, right, no much lower? What is it?
Speaker 2: It was at seven and a half, now it's at eight. Oh yeah, I love this one. I love this, they're going over eight. They got their quarterback back.
Speaker 1: I wish I got it.
Speaker 2: They almost have all the starters back. I think it's seventeen of the time two.
Speaker 1: And it's on this schedule.
Speaker 2: Just looking at that, I mean they're going to be favored in most games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the three loose, Like okay, let's just say you lose to Ohio Washington at home. They might lose, but they can win Wisconsin at home, and then the rest of their games all stink.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe when I saw there was eight, and like I said, it started at seven.
Speaker 1: And a half.
Speaker 2: What do they know that we don't know what they want to do with DraftKings.
Speaker 3: They want you to do it.
Speaker 1: I'm doing it, Iowa Lockey Lock Hawk Rock Hawk Lock.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. When I was typing up my spreadsheet here getting ready for the show and I had the eight, I couldn't believe at that schedule.
Speaker 1: That is unbelievable to me that that is a all right Maryland. The coach is Ralph Frigin right.
Speaker 3: Close Mike Locksley. He did finish his third consecutive winning season. Last year.
Speaker 2: They started five.
Speaker 3: And zero but then went two and five down the stretch to finish seven and five?
Speaker 1: Is Ralph frig alive?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You killed two people last week, so be careful.
Speaker 1: Look up and see if he's a love.
Speaker 2: Who'd you kill last week? The Kansas coach and someone? Yeah, Ralph frigin freegent. He went to the Orange Bowl.
Speaker 1: I think one year with Maryland.
Speaker 2: He's alive and well seventy seven years old.
Speaker 1: Good. I'm glad. I mean that's that was the key to me, that he that he is. They play yukon non conference Villa Nova. They're just playing a basketball non conference it looks like, and then it looks like they play I guess Virginia is technically not in the Big Ten. So they play Virginia on the road. You know, I have no idea what's the over or what's the line or games whatever? Six and a Half's what am I looking for? What am I trying to say?
Speaker 2: Win total? I guess six and a half. I'll add they had four years of baby Tua as their quarterback and he's gone, so this will be the first quarterback in four seasons when.
Speaker 1: They play USC, Oregon, Iowa, and Penn State. So they're gonna lose all those, so that's eight and so you got to think that they only lose one more game to go over. They also, you know, they go to Minnesota, they play Northwest, and go to Indiana. I'm picking them to lose that, so I'm gonna say under.
Speaker 2: I'm going under too. Had that one circled, Like I said, I think losing you're gonna make me tag.
Speaker 1: A to a taga viola.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he was, Yeah, I'm not gonna I call him baby to a. I just think with a new quarterback might be some growing pains, and with that schedule, I'll go under.
Speaker 1: Michigan, Okay, crazy, they won the national championship last year. I don't think I know the coach's name. Before you say, what, do you know the good new guy's name? Do char Moore? Yeah?
Speaker 3: It's the uh that is Sharon Moore?
Speaker 2: Yes, did I just come up with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That was like Homer Simpson, like I, I I have no idea what he looks like. I don't remember that. I get that name.
Speaker 2: You remember that weird interview where he was like crying over hardball and the cheating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't I don't know why I know that name.
Speaker 3: Well, you know the NEDD some text messages to me.
Speaker 2: Now they're gonna have hardball back for the first game he ended up canceling.
Speaker 3: Connor Stallion's no longer with Michigan.
Speaker 2: Connor Stallion's got a job defensive coordinator for a high.
Speaker 3: School, Detroit Mumford.
Speaker 2: Look at you knowing the name of the high school sounds like a porn name. Connor Stains or Detroit Mumford. Maybe they're in the same film both.
Speaker 1: I like to think Detroit Mumford is a Mumford and Sons cover band Detroit.
Speaker 2: I remember presid Billy pulled that out.
Speaker 1: Of Detroit Mumford is is good? A good one is a good one too? All right, what's the win.
Speaker 2: Do Their win total is nine even this season. Their big returner on the cover of College Football twenty five is running back Donovan Edwards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going under. So they play texts. I'm gonna say they lose that game. They go to Washington, they play Oregon, they go to Ohio State. So I mean, if it's nine, you gotta assume they win one of those games and then don't drop another game. And now, to be fair, you look at the other games they play, there aren't a lot that you would think they can drop. But I don't think they're gonna get to ten, So I'm not gonna pick something where the best I can do is push, So I'm gonna go under.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they lose Ohio State Texas if they lose, all three of those games are at nine. So Wellington State, even though it's a home game this year, that's always close. I've been to that game before. They'll give them a game.
Speaker 1: I think Missions States supposed to be really bad.
Speaker 2: It's one of those rivalries though it doesn't really matter how the teams look, they always keep it close. I'm going under also, and I would love to hear Detroit Mumford in concert.
Speaker 1: What is it? What was their big song wait Wait for You? But their lead singer looked like Tim Tebow.
Speaker 2: Remember I saw Marcus Mumford by himself at Realbird Is much so like Mumford and Son's sons. Marcus count of by himself, he's got a good thing.
Speaker 1: That was the other guy, his brother.
Speaker 2: I think the sons, no, I guess, I don't know. I just know Mark.
Speaker 1: Why were they Mumford and Sons? Because he wasn't the dad.
Speaker 2: Highly unlikely he was the dad puts on a great show by himself.
Speaker 1: I feel like you could get a really good couch at Mumford and.
Speaker 2: Could be a plumbing company and Sons any any local LLC you could have it and Sons at the.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be a little bit of a off topic aggression. And I know, should I watch any of the Marvel movies? Yes? Why? Uh?
Speaker 3: Because they're great?
Speaker 1: Because we talked about this, you've seen them.
Speaker 2: All right, No, I mean not all of them. Not now.
Speaker 1: I never watched Disney Plus, but now you get Hulu with Disney Plus and so like I have to log on to Disney Plus to get to Hulu. And it keeps that Marvel movie, keep thinking, keep saying there, and you know something you've known about me for a long time. I like a lot of something. And it's just like teasing me watch these Marvel movies. But I don't. I don't want to. I don't think because I don't think I like any of them.
Speaker 3: Did you ever read comic books?
Speaker 1: No? No, yeah, no way, who reads comic books?
Speaker 2: A lot of people. I was reading the phone Book. That's not true. I was more of a DC Batman guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just it feels like that's the one thing in culture that, like, you know, I don't know TikTok stars either, but the one thing in culture that like I should know that I just don't know anything about it.
Speaker 2: A little overwhelming.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of them, But if you want to watch the hits, what's the.
Speaker 2: What's the best Marvel movie?
Speaker 3: Probably Avengers Endgame? See.
Speaker 2: I watched that one on a plane, and everyone's like, you just watched the last one without seeing the others. But I'm like, I don't know. That's what Delta had for an option, and I turned it on.
Speaker 1: I thought people said the one thing people have told me I would like Wanda Vision.
Speaker 2: I started that one as a tea made it. I haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: It was fine.
Speaker 2: I just felt like, kind of like you're saying, once you're not in the Marvel universe, it moves on without you. What are there like thirty something of them now? I just feel like I missed the boat on all of them.
Speaker 1: Have I told you I figured out what my TikTok gimmick is going to be. I'm just I'm gonna it's all gonna be about phone books. It's gonna be a very niche. I'm just gonna pull out phone books and go today kids, this is the Syracuse pull book. It's actually from nineteen eighty seven. Let's look at it. No, I uh, I'm gonna do pick of the day. So every day I'm gonna do one where my head is floating.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't let you always call your head floating.
Speaker 1: My head is floating. I'm just gonna talk about something like my pick of the day. But it'll allow me to talk about something different every day and it and it could be something I think is good, something I think is bad, Like maybe you're the pick of the day what like, but like that way, it's that's my thing. And then I don't feel like I have to dance or anything like that. Do you like that a good start?
Speaker 3: We can get you a green screen, tell you how to work that.
Speaker 2: Get that marios. I'm not I don't know how to do that.
Speaker 3: Okay, just floating it.
Speaker 2: Uh. I just remembered I have a party trick in college that made me a lot of money. I can open a bottle of wine with a phone book. Really, no one ever believes it until I do it.
Speaker 1: All right. So that's but one day, my pick of the day would be Drew opens up a phone book with a wide bot.
Speaker 2: I can I can do it with a with a phone book and a shoe. And when I worked at Malones on my last day of work, I was having a little bit of fun and a guest wanted me to do the shoe trick. And I started to take my shoe off in the middle of Malones and the server and they were immediately put your shoe back on, get back.
Speaker 1: Here and Malones after you worked at the rib place. Yes, I climbed the climbed the ladder first time. Tony Romas, Yeah, when I hired Drew, he we had just hired him and I went and uh, I like, hired this new guy. And I was like, you know, he's gonna be he's gonna be young, he's gonna bring a fresh insight. And then I went to Tony Robins and he was a server there, and I was like, I don't think this was a good idea.
Speaker 2: I missed Tony Romas. Hey, Malon's too good money there. But yeah, phone book trick. Maybe one day I'll reveal it's.
Speaker 1: Gonna be my pick of the day one day, Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Uh, Minnesota. I thought Michigan State was next. Do we don't want You're gonna skip over this part. Michigan State they started to and oh, but then ended two and eight, So not a great season. Fired.
Speaker 1: They ended two and eight. They didn't play their last two games.
Speaker 3: They their final ten games, they finished two and eight in them. Yeah, so four and eight total. They fired Mel Tucker.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And they have a new coach, Jonathan Smith from Oregon State.
Speaker 2: From Pocahontas, Captain John Smith.
Speaker 1: That's not a real person, Jonathan Smith. Actually, I think one of Andy Basher's, maybe his chief of staff, is named John Smith.
Speaker 3: That's a pretty good way.
Speaker 2: Did he move from there to I bet you could pick up any phone book and there'd be a John Smith in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like Matt Joe. Yes about that then, like Matt Jones, I'm gonna take the under unless you tell me it's three and a half.
Speaker 2: It is higher than three and a half. It is an even five under.
Speaker 1: They'll beat pray View A and M, they'll beat Florida Atlantic and they might not win another game under. What do you got?
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the schedule. They go to Illinois. I mean, we we just covered what a traditional powerhouse Illinois is. I'll go under as well. Yeah I don't trust John Smith.
Speaker 1: Yeah I don't either. Who was the Did you say there was an explorer John Smith? Right? What did he?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Pocahontas in John Smith? That's the thing, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Where was Pocahontas? Like I know the movie, but like was she a real person?
Speaker 2: As far as I know? It was a cartoon to me growing up? But I.
Speaker 1: Don't know.
Speaker 3: I was thinking of John Smith. Wasn't he a religious leader in Mormons? Or was that Joseph Smith?
Speaker 1: Joseph Smith?
Speaker 2: If you'd watched the Book of Mormon like I told you to, I know it's on the list.
Speaker 1: Yeah was he? John Smith and Pocahontas.
Speaker 2: According to disneyfandom dot com, where you're gonna catch up on all my history, note, he is a renowned English explorer that took part in Governor Ratcliffe's expedition to Virginia where he met and fell in love with Pocahontas.
Speaker 1: There you go, see, I didn't I didn't know that Minnesota.
Speaker 3: I had a big twelve to ten victory against Iowa. Seemed like they were on the right track. Then they lost four straight. After that, they finished five and seven.
Speaker 2: PJ.
Speaker 3: Fleck Row the boat head coach.
Speaker 2: Big Road, the boat guy. Hey remember, so he was he was a hot name there for a while from Western Michigan.
Speaker 1: Is that right, that's right?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I look at their schedule. They play North Carolina, Rhode Island in Nevada, they get uc USC, Michigan, Iowa, Penn State, and Wisconsin. So I'm going to say under if it's six and a half. If it's six or more, I might say over, what is it?
Speaker 2: It's five and a half? Ooh, they added a quarterback from New Hampshire.
Speaker 1: Doesn't make it any better. Well, I'm picking a lot. I think I'm picking a lot of unders.
Speaker 2: But I guess I got a receiver from Georgia, receiver from Penn State. They did well in the portal.
Speaker 1: I'm going under. I think PJ. Flip Flack is a little bit of it.
Speaker 2: He was, uh, he was one of the hottest names in coaching. Then he went to Minnesota and just kind of leveled off. I'll go over here just to be a little different. I feel like we've been greening a lot. I'm gonna trust fcs all American Max Brosmer from New Hampshire.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what that word means.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll talk about it afterwards.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, should you beep it?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Why don't you beep it? And then people when people have to guess what I said?
Speaker 3: All right, all right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Nebraska Nebraska Matt Ruhle, former head coach in the NFL. Right Baylor lifetime ago. Yes, lost five of seven games by one score last year. Yeah, and they're sitting here ready to go again.
Speaker 1: Hard schedule, but I kind of like them this year. I'm gonna go over. They're gonna beat you TEP, They're gonna beat Colorado, they're gonna beat Northern Iowa. Then they're gonna beat Illinois. They're gonna be Purdue. They're gonna beat Rutgers. They have a very good chance of being six and oh they do play Ohio State, USC in Wisconsin and Iowa on the back end. But I think they'll beat USCLA for seven, in Indiana for eight. So I have eight definite wins. What's over and seven and a half? Give me give me the over.
Speaker 2: I like.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be a good year for Nebraska. You know, I'm not a Nebraska guy, but I think they're gonna here's what's gonna happen. They're gonna start out six and oh when everybody's gonna go Nebraska back, Think Nebraska's back, Nebraska's back, and then game day or whatever will go to like they're at Ohio State game and it'll be but then they'll fall apart. But I'm still gonna take them to go over seven a half.
Speaker 2: I like it too. They're a disappoint last year and I cashed in. I'm betting against them a lot last season. They have a Dylan Raiola, the five star quarterback, taken over this year, expect to have a big season. I'm going over.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like that one a lot. I like uh. I like the over for Nebraska, and you know, as people who have listened to me, I'm always a Nebraska hater, but I think this one's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: They've been easy money lately betting against them. But their quarterback was like top twenty recruit, five star. If he can adjust to college football, he's they have high expectations for him.
Speaker 1: Northwestern, who this year is playing their games. Have you seen the stadium they're playing in. They're playing in like a high school state. Oh nice, Like they're playing in like uh, look it up. I think they're literally playing like in someone's backyard. Like it's it's a crazy that the stadium they're playing in, the fact that they're going to be major games. That's why I think they're playing two or three games at Soldier Field is because the stadium is so small. Like I think they're playing Ohio State maybe at Soldier Field, and but like, yeah, they're playing Ohio State Soldier Field and Illinois at Soldier Field. But I think the rest of their games are literally like in a high school state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they're building something new and it's not ready. So I'm looking at it. Yeah, and it didn't give you a good college big college football vibes.
Speaker 1: I mean like it's it looks it literally looks like it's just at a dude's house.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're missing as a crane holding the scoreboard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what's what's the what's the over? Well, what's the first of all? Give me something about it.
Speaker 3: One of the surprises of the Big Ten last year after the off season dismissal of Pat Fitzgerald UH seven and five, and they promoted interim head coach David Brawn to full time.
Speaker 1: All Right, I don't know him.
Speaker 2: What's the Fitzgerald was there a long time, including in the Music City Bowl that shed in.
Speaker 1: Trouble in the end for like, was it spanking players or something?
Speaker 2: Spaking players? He did have his scandal for it was I don't know if he himself was bending them over his knee, but yeah, no, there was a big hazing.
Speaker 1: Telling me he didn't look at like Darnell Autry and go bend over.
Speaker 2: You've been a bad boy who takes off his bells after practice. No, I don't think it was that extreme, but there was a big hazing scandal that.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think he was aware of it and didn't do much. This look look like it was crazy. He was spanking players. I knew there was something, all right, So what's the window? Four and a half?
Speaker 1: Oh? Is that it?
Speaker 2: It's all? Do you trust?
Speaker 1: Remind me of Ohio Duke and Eastern Illinois. I'm gonna say they win all those and then they get to three. The problem is finding that fourth and fifth win is hard. They have a rough, They have a brutal skin. Now with that, I mean they played Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan, Washington.
Speaker 2: They play Ohio State and Michigan back to back. That's not fair after going to Purdue.
Speaker 1: Like though, four, I mean you said it was four and a half. They're definitely gonna get three. I feel like Illinois they can get would be four. So I gotta do is find one more You think they can beat Maryland?
Speaker 2: Yeah, at Purdue or at Maryland is what you're looking at is the flipping.
Speaker 1: It mean, I gotta go with one of these teams. I've already said Maryland stinks. I think I'll go first. You've been leading.
Speaker 2: I'll go over. I trust David Braun. They got the spanker out of there. He's there to just coach football. The atmosphere will be soothing to them. It'll just be like they're in their backyard growing up, playing backyard football. I'm going over.
Speaker 1: I'm going over to I went to college with a guy named Greg Braun. He was kind of a jerk to me then, so you would think I would want revenge by saying under But you know what, in honor of Greg Braun and the idea that yes, you can be a jerk and I'm still gonna be nice to you. I'm gonna pick the over, which I know is what he wants for Northwestern, And if you know Greg Broun, tell him it's not personal that I just brought him up on this podcast.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they have a familiar quarterback, Mike Wright, who was at Vandy Beakentucky, then he went to Missus State for a year, didn't really play that much, and then here he is in Northwestern.
Speaker 1: Ill good for you. Grat Ohio State.
Speaker 3: Eleven and one lost to Michigan for the third year in a row.
Speaker 1: They play at Oregon. Otherwise they're gonna win every game, So feel good about this one. If it's ten and a half, give me the over. Me too, it's ten and a half. I like the over. They host Michigan. I think Michigan takes a little bit of a step back after losing Hardball. Iowa is my lock lock, but this is in the conversation for a lock. Yeah, I mean Georgia and Ohio State. If I don't know what the odds would be on DraftKings for will both of these teams make the playoff. But I would feel very good of a bet of a Georgia Ohio State both will make the playoff, partly because I think they're the two teams, and then honestly, if you could throw in Utah, you could probably get it about even money. And because I think all three of those are making it. So yep.
Speaker 2: They bring a lot of starters back and they added Will Howard, the best quarterback in the portal. Everyone says from Kansas State. So I expect you had another good year for Ohio State and they'll finally get Michigan.
Speaker 1: Oregon is in the Big Ten. Don't know why. They have a weird schedule. They play Idaho, Boise State, and Oregon State and then they're like, now let's go play our conference games on the other side of the country. Again. They host Ohio State and then that you look at their schedule and you're like, all right, well, where are they gonna lose?
Speaker 2: I mean, is he over under ten? Ten and a half?
Speaker 1: See, I don't love the ten and a half because they could lose to Washington, could lose to Michigan.
Speaker 2: Got Dylan Gabriel at quarterback, No Nicks, probably best quarterback in the conference. Yeah, I'm gonna go over. I think they'll win eleven as well, at least what any information from you that.
Speaker 3: They had that crazy game versus Washington last year. Yeah, besides that, I mean they pretty much destroyed every other team. Besides that in Texas Tech, I like them.
Speaker 1: I mean it's ten and a half. I wish it was ten, but if it's ten and a half, I'll still taken over. You know, they if they were to somehow beat Ohio State, then I think it's a lot like if you bet Ohio State and Oregon to go over ten and a half, you're guaranteed, I think, to win one of them and then the other one. You're just hoping the team goes undefeated otherwise. So if I'm gonna bet one of them as well, bet them both.
Speaker 2: Yeah. As we said with Michigan, I have Michigan slipping this year. In Ohio State and Oregon are my two national championship contenders out of this conference. So I like the Overallso Penn State James Franklin.
Speaker 3: One double digit games for the fifth time under James Franklin, but they lost to both Ohio State and Michigan. And that's what you gotta do is win those games. As the Penn State coach ten and three overall.
Speaker 1: At USC, Ohio State, Washington are the only games that may be Wisconsin so at Wisconsin. So there's four potentially losable games. I think you're gonna tell me the over unders nine and a half, right.
Speaker 2: Ten and a half?
Speaker 1: Under me too.
Speaker 2: I like the under as I just said. With Michigan, I think Penn State and Michigan are like running third and fourth in this conference behind Ohio State and a half.
Speaker 1: That feels high, friends of draftings. I mean, they play Ohio State at USC, They're gonna be an underdog probably in both of those games. Right, Maybe not at USC, but I would think so.
Speaker 2: Their defense was amazing last year, but there were times their offense was hard to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the under there me too. Purdue.
Speaker 2: When I think of Purdue, I think of Drew Brees's mole. That's what you think is fair? I mean, I mean, he's the most famous quarterback from Purdue, and that's the most famous mole in football. It's not he never took it off, did he. I I like that though, Like, why would I take it off? Man looks like a man looks right?
Speaker 1: FA One of the most famous moles in people Cindy Crawford, Sindy Crawfords, but hers was cute. His is big.
Speaker 2: You don't think Brees got cute little moll.
Speaker 3: The guy from Austin Powers.
Speaker 1: I mean, it probably is one of the more famous ones. Is there anybody else you can think of? Like? I get little moles on my face, but I usually try to get him taken off. It looks like most people people don't, or some people don't. Drew Brees doesn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, Cindy Crawford just immediately comes to mind. Kate Upton had a little bit of a mole. She was following the Cindy Crawford path.
Speaker 1: Billy, did you know that Drew and I once that one night we both danced with Kate.
Speaker 3: Both of you danced with me. I think she still talks about before the Justin Verlander days.
Speaker 1: Huh oh, Yeah, Me and me and Drew spent like all night with her.
Speaker 2: She for some reason was uncomfortable around everyone but us. Maybe we just seemed normal. I think she just held her purse for like an hour. She said, we hold this off.
Speaker 1: She sort of saw us as harmless. There's a I have a picture. There's a picture of me and Drew and her and DeMarcus Cousins. There's a picture of the four of us. He was ruined our vibes. And then I have a picture of her, of me and her, where like in the moment she was very friendly, like hugging me like I was her best friend. But for some reason in the picture, I look really like creepy with her, Like it looks like I'm which makes me mad because I always want to post that picture, but then it looks like I'm like, it doesn't look good for me, even though I mean the whole night I'm not. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to say she was into me Andrew. She wasn't. But like we had a ton of fun with her. And I have to tell you, I barely knew who she was that night. That video of her dancing at the the game had just come out. She did the dougie yeah, and that hadn't that just come out? So the party, it's like I had seen her, but I really didn't know who she was. I mean, she wasn't so famous. They couldn't bring her in for that Derby party.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't have set her down with me and you if she were an a list day.
Speaker 1: It was me and Drew and her and DeMarcus cousins. Basically the whole night.
Speaker 2: Not only did we dance with her, we got one of those photo booths where you have the hats and glasses. Remember we did that too. I still have those on my phone. I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: That might have been, along with Marilyn Manson, the most real communication you and I have ever had with his celebrity.
Speaker 2: I means of importance? What's celebrity to her level? Says I gotta go. You just hold my purse and then just left me there. I'm like, this is Kate Upton's purse. DeMarcus, I'm just in charge of this. DeMarcus was convinced they were hooking up, and.
Speaker 3: She must have friend zoned you pretty quickly. You're holding purses.
Speaker 2: Well. At the end of the night, she was going to waffle house and I asked her, I think it's her cousin or manager. Yeah, said we'd go, and instead of getting a phone number, I got an email. Dress but that wasn't a note. That wasn't a note. I got an email instead of a phone number.
Speaker 1: Whit did you? You asked her to go to waffle house.
Speaker 2: No, they were going to waffle house and I were like, we go and she was like, yeah, let's leak up and she pulls out her phone. I'm like, am I about to get a number? But then she gave an email address.
Speaker 1: That picture's like really a different era of the two of us. I mean, like we're both fatter than.
Speaker 3: We are not.
Speaker 2: I hadn't grown a beard yet, you had not grown a beerd you look the babyface young in that picture. That was a fun night, though, That was a night de Marcus Cousins threatened Pete Thamel. Someone I won't see who they are, but someone with a small level of fame texted me last night out of the blue completely ran him and him from a while, Like remember that nine Pete Amil was in Louisville and you all walked up on him just well, we walked up behind DeMarcus to see it. Yeah he didn't.
Speaker 1: DeMarcus was gonna let When I see Pete Tham on TV, I just think to myself, you know you're lucky that DeMarcus. Yeah, fame.
Speaker 2: Also, he why is he on Game Day?
Speaker 1: He has the charisma? Okay, I gotta be careful ESPN. I mean he has the charisma though of a paper bag. I mean he's at ESPN because he's Adrian Mojenowski's I mean, basically, Adrian Rojanowski is a huge amount of pool at ESPN and he they're friends, and so that's why he's there.
Speaker 2: He went from tearing down in his canter and trying to tear down Eric bloods one DeMarcus Cousins to tell me which football games to watch. I just I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't support that really has no charisma, like at least I mean, Adrian Morojanowski has some charisma, but Pete is like just sucks the air.
Speaker 2: I didn't see him in the photo booth with Kate Upton, but I.
Speaker 1: Have to say, I mean, great employee with me, great colleague, great colleague, Rutgers the scarlet.
Speaker 2: Did we even give our picks? We just really wanted to brag about knowing Kate Upton.
Speaker 1: And we did. They played Notre Dame, they go to Oregon State. Tough schedule. What's there over under four.
Speaker 3: And a half.
Speaker 1: It's a tough non conference.
Speaker 2: Do you want me to lead off? I'm going under I think I trust it.
Speaker 1: I think game too, that there's not a game that I look at and say that's an obvious win except Indiana State.
Speaker 2: They were in the big Team Big Ten Championship with Brohm. They go to the new coach whose name is what again.
Speaker 3: Ryan Walters, who has Illinois defensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they would they win like three or four games. I don't have faith in Ryan Walters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was not a lot. Perdue was four and eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I like the under because I think, except for Indiana State, there's not a game on that schedule you can say they're definitely gonna win. So give me the under. I actually would put that second to my what was it Iowa?
Speaker 2: Was my Lock, Lock Locke.
Speaker 1: I think this would be this would be the rock Chalk second place Lock. We're feeling good about some of these. We really ones. I feel like I kind of am seeing it.
Speaker 3: Rutgers big success for them last year they went six and six under Greg Shechiano, who's back first winning. I forgot the records since twenty fourteen because they went seven and six after the Bowl win and only allowed twenty one points a game on defense that was very solid.
Speaker 1: So the good thing for them is they avoid most of the good teams. They go to Virginia Tech, but then they do not play Ohio State. They do not play Michigan, they do not play Penn State, they do not Pluy. They do play usc but they avoid the best teams in the conference. Let me guess, is its.
Speaker 2: Gavin Wims quarterback?
Speaker 1: Is it six and a half?
Speaker 2: It was, it's moved down to six from people betting the under, so it's six even.
Speaker 1: Now give me the over. They're gonna beat Howard, They're gonna beat Akron.
Speaker 2: You're going against the public.
Speaker 1: They're gonna lose three straight. But then they're gonna finish strong. They're gonna beat UCLA, They're gonna beat Minnesota, they're gonna beat Maryland, The're gonna beat Illinois. The're gonna beat Michigan State. Like I think they're gonna finish strong, I'll take the over. I think they at least win six, so I'll give us a shot at winning seven.
Speaker 2: I'll go over to they had a great defense last year and bring a lot of those guys back. Uh, they're replacing Gavin Wims it with Athan Caliak menace Ye, I like that guy from Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Would you take under? No? I'm going over over.
Speaker 2: I think it got bet down too much, so I'm gonna go the other way.
Speaker 1: It sounds like the quarterback. He pronounces it like the town in Kentucky, like Athens. Instead of Athens, he's Athen. I'm reading it off a website. Yeah, I did my homework, not my pronunciation homework. Uh, Ucla. Here's what's interesting about UCLA. They're playing Hawaii and normally teams decide to play Hawaii because if you play Hawaii, as an incentive to play Hawaii, they'll let you play an extra game. Did you know that? No, because nobody wants to schedule. Why because it's so far away, so to get so much out of you, So to give teams incentive to play Hawaii. If you play Hawaii, you get to play a thirteenth kame. Wow, UCLA is playing Hawai, but then just said no on the.
Speaker 3: Thirteenth k Yeah, don't need the money.
Speaker 1: But isn't that kind of odd? Just like nope, not interesting?
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no Hawaii for us.
Speaker 1: So they're supposed to be awful. Who's their coach?
Speaker 3: Deshaun Foster, former UCLA NFL running back.
Speaker 2: Really he had the famous media day moment. He was clearly he was so nervous, and he said, we're excited to be here where UCLA. We're located in Los Angeles, and that's all he said.
Speaker 1: These some things you don't know about us.
Speaker 2: We're located in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: We played that on ESPN when I hosted.
Speaker 2: That was great on your Hawaii point, real quick fun fact, Delaware State opens with them and they missed their bus to the airport and they're having trouble getting to Hawaii for a week zero. So you're talking about how hard it is to schedule teams. They finally get an opponent and Delaware State was late to JFK and I couldn't get there. It's too bad.
Speaker 1: I was at JFK that day.
Speaker 2: It was busy see Delaware State running to.
Speaker 1: Their but I was there. I was there that day and I remember thinking, man, this is busy, you know, Billy. I was able to Oh, so it was like but if you if you didn't, it might have been hard. That delta line was way way long.
Speaker 2: Now, the of course, don't look very fun here recently, and I like to fly. It just seems to be chaos. Every time I open Twitter, there's a New Airport with I walked up Madness flight to.
Speaker 1: Cincinnati delayed and I was like, oh was it? The flight was supposed to be at two thirty nine. So I walk up to the woman at the counter and I go, how long is this delay too? And she goes to forty one. I got that in me. I was like, what flash in red lights? Delayed? If it's going to be two minutes? Like, just don't even tell me? I mean, but they did. What's the over under?
Speaker 2: I have UCLA again. It's one that's moved. It opened at five and a half, now it's down to five.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the under. They're not winning six games.
Speaker 2: Really. I know their coach as a famous running back, but just seeing him at the podium made me wonder if he's cut out to be a head coach. I get it, not everybody can public speak. I'm not great at it either, but that was really embarrassing as his first media day. So I just don't know if he's if he's cut out to lead the Bruins. I'm going under two.
Speaker 1: Tough schedule for USC play LSU play Notre Dame, and then the regular conference schedule, which will include Washington. Well, actually, they miss a lot of the other good teams at Michigan. Who's their coach, Lincoln Riley? Right, that's right? Yes, what's there over? Under?
Speaker 2: Uh? Seven and a half, Yes, seven and a half.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take I'm gonna take the over. They're gonna they'll beat either LSU or Notre Dame probably well, maybe neither. But then you look at their schedule, like, I don't see a ton of games they'll lose. They do play Penn State, they play Michigan.
Speaker 2: I'm going under. They actually have some Notre Dame, Nebraska, they have some teams that we've picked overs for so we if we don't want to contradict ourselves, I'm going over.
Speaker 1: I mean under.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, mm, you make good points. But they beat Louis Blake thirty five in the bowl game.
Speaker 1: It's true. I'm gonna go over. Well, we'll contrast on that one. I'll believe in the power of a trojan.
Speaker 2: The Caleb Williams is gone. He's off to your bears. Hard Knocks has been awesome, by the way it has.
Speaker 1: I'm liking Kayle Williams. You know where he carries a purse?
Speaker 3: Yeah, fingernail poplay but.
Speaker 1: He's mad about that. What's wrong? I mean a purse is actually like a I don't carry one, but like.
Speaker 2: You got a lot of blongie. Look, I got this big backpack right here.
Speaker 1: I'd love to know what's base.
Speaker 3: Uh, Well, there's a difference between a person a satchel as well. I mean there's a lot of differences.
Speaker 2: I think i'd say, why why why why can't If you can carry a satchel and a man can do that, why can't he carry a purse.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean gender norms. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just think of all the gender norms, that's a dumb one.
Speaker 3: Well, especially if you got stuff to carry, right.
Speaker 2: Like a jockstrap at least makes sense. Why is it a bad I should wear a fanny pack more often? To be honest, we anti fanny pack. How do you all feel about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know a few.
Speaker 1: Times the punter for the Bears, I don't know if he wants me to say this, but that's okay. The punter for the Bears is Australian and he was featured on the episode last night. They talked to him a lot. So this morning I got up, I saw Max, I go a, uh, well, I hadn't seen him in like a week. I was like, hey, man, do you see the that's not you need to watch a new episode of Hard Knocks. They're the Australian guys there. He was like, I hate him. I go, really, I thought you guys all liked each other and he was just like no, he was like he's the worst.
Speaker 2: As he competition got it.
Speaker 1: I guess I thought they'd all like each other.
Speaker 2: You know, my Titans open up the season at Chicago, so this has been a nice scouting report. Oh that's right, because they were Will Levis game. I thought ESPN was going to sit. When I looked at the schedule, I thought they were going to send us, and then they didn't.
Speaker 1: But you're going down Washington open up against Weber State and then they play in the Apple Cup against Washington State. Tell me about the new Washington coach.
Speaker 3: I don't know much about him.
Speaker 1: Well, tell me what his name is. How about we'll start with that.
Speaker 3: I don't have that one either, Jed Fish. There you go, how do you not have it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: We were we were transitioning to a CC and I wasn't aware of that. Yeah, I jumped ahead a little bit undefeated regular season.
Speaker 1: They did, it's a championship game. Actually was competitive for a while. What's what's the the win total?
Speaker 2: The win total is six and a half. They lost Michael PENNOCKX to the NFL, drafted much higher than anyone expected. They bring him Will Rogers for Mississippi State. We all know Will Rogers from the SEC.
Speaker 1: Say they lose to Oregon, say they lose at penn State. Let's even say they lose at Iowa. Still seven and a half, six and a half, six and a half. Give me the over. Why is everybody so down? And why? I mean they don't play great teams? Give me over? I like that one.
Speaker 2: I'm doing the math here. I kind of agree with you. A lot of their teams on the schedule I've taken unders for so we can have Washington help us out by winning those games. I'll go over.
Speaker 1: Let's go finally, Wisconsin, Ron Daan, that's.
Speaker 3: Right, Wisconsin. Not a great year last year.
Speaker 1: Are you still with us, Billy? Are you in the ACC?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Can we go back? Tell me the Wisconsin coaches to start with.
Speaker 3: I can tell you they went seven and six last year.
Speaker 1: So you don't know who the coach is.
Speaker 2: No, Luke Fickle. Everybody knows Luke Fickle from Cincinnati went up to Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: J J. Watts no longer there. Russell Wilson's no longer there.
Speaker 1: They play Alabama, which is a pretty amazing scheduling thing for them. They decide to They're hosting Alabama. That'll be a big day in Madison. I don't know. This is maybe the one I know the least of what to do.
Speaker 2: Their quarterback is Tyler Van Dyke from Miami. Last year.
Speaker 1: He was good. He was like what some of the people thought would get drafted, right, and then he ended up at Wisconsin. What's the what's the window? Seven? Excuse me? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Seven?
Speaker 1: Even all right. They're gonna lose to Oregon. They're gonna lose to Penn State, the lose at Iowa, the loose to USC to lose to Alabama. So I'm at seven right there. I'm gonna take an off the board under because I think the best I can do is push. So when I just taking under.
Speaker 2: Look into the odds the unders minus one forty, so everyone agrees with you. I will also go under. They won seven games last year. I think at best. You pushed there, but I'll take the under.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, if you've been hungry for some college football, don't worry, get a taste of it this weekend in Ireland. It's a small but mighty slate of games. Georgia Tech and Florida State. Who you got in that one? By the way, Florida State, me too. And this is the DraftKings biggest college football season. So I'm here for you. New Draft Kings customers can bet five dollars and I've talked to DraftKings. I did some negotiation for our listeners. Okay, I said, look, we got to give them something special. They said, how about bet five get two undred bucks?
Speaker 2: They said that to you. I said, that's amazing. Said, are you sure you want to do that? They said, yes, I am. So.
Speaker 1: The code is fade. Use the code fade bet five get two hundred bucks and bonus bets. It's amazing. It's DraftKings. You got to be in on the Ireland game because it's Irish. Uh and it'll be great. And if you have a gaming problem, called one hundred gamer New York calls seven seven No, don't call that, call eight seven seven eight, hoping wire text hoping why four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, it's the Nutmeg Steak and help is available for problem gambling eight eight eight seven eight seven seven seven seven seven, or visit CCPG dot org on behalf of Boothill Casino in Kansas. Your twenty one plus age in eligibility varies by restriction. Shut up if you're in Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue is traditional terms responsible gaming resorces in case you should do right, bless you.
Speaker 3: I do need a little more there. Do you want to finish that?
Speaker 1: Why do you need it? Are you gonna ride it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I just fine see dk NNG dot co slash ft ball.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: You got it?
Speaker 3: Now, I got it, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the ACC.
Speaker 3: I've bet on the ACC. Ready to go.
Speaker 1: You want to talk about it? We're talking about a conference that's stupid. Well, why are these teams in this conference?
Speaker 3: Well, half of them were trying to get out of the conference.
Speaker 1: They should have. You looked at it.
Speaker 2: It won't be there much longer.
Speaker 1: You think they're the ones that go away? Think so? Well, Okay, I'll tell you what let's play as we do this. You picked the conference this team will be in in seven years. Oh goodness, okay, let's do that as we're going. All right, Boston College. Tell me about them.
Speaker 3: Their new head coach, Bill O'Brien. May I heard of him.
Speaker 2: He was therefore right first year year.
Speaker 1: But didn't he coach there like fifteen years ago? Oh?
Speaker 3: I think that's he was.
Speaker 1: He was at Penn State, but I think before that he was at Boston College.
Speaker 3: That that is a possibility.
Speaker 1: And then their coach like left to be a coordinator somewhere, right.
Speaker 3: I don't have that. They did win the with Sabby Fenway ball against SMU seven and six record for them last year, their.
Speaker 2: Quarterback, excuse me, their coach went to the Packers to be the defensive coordinator. Bill O'Brien was at the Patriots last year.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go ahead and tell you I have no clue what the thing. I don't know who's on the team. I don't know if they're good. I have no idea. So just give me a win total and I'll just flip a coin.
Speaker 2: Five wins.
Speaker 1: Of course, it's an even number, which makes it hard. All right, they'll beat Ducaine. They're not gonna win at Missouri, They'll beat Western. Sorry, Billy, I'm going under, which is tough because it's five they don't have to win, but I'm gonna go under.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna believe in the Patriots brands coming over with Bill O'Brien. I think the win that flips them to the over is they beat Louisville. How about that?
Speaker 1: I like it all right, sounds good.
Speaker 2: I got a lot of starters back. It's a good coach. Everybody knows who Bill O'Brien is. I'm gonna trust him. In year one in Boston, I Cal Cow Cal's in the ACC stop Like that's so dumb.
Speaker 3: It is dumb, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who's their coach?
Speaker 2: Justin Wilcox. It's been there a long time.
Speaker 1: I was looking at ESPN sends out a press release every week that I'm on, where they tell you who's going to announce each game, you know, in this opening week because so many teams play one double A teams or whatever, they have to get announcers that they don't use like any other week of the year.
Speaker 2: So like, you know, so tell me you're calling an ACC game.
Speaker 1: No, But I did look and I saw that Cal was playing UC Davis, and I thought, if you get a signed this game, do you just go maybe go into accounting, you start somewhere, Vince so where you are.
Speaker 2: In your career.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, if I'm fifty five and I get Cal you see Davis, I'm saying, no, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 1: Not doing it because you don't even get to do many games. That means you're so low on the depth chop they're not using you again this year.
Speaker 2: But if I'm twenty four and trying to get my fond do I would love calvers UC day now.
Speaker 1: I say that if they asked me, I'd be there in a minute. But like, I'm also not married.
Speaker 2: And you would not say much about the game. You would be talking about phone books and book the Moth. You would enjoy it, Yeah, I would use. I've offered to call games and they've politely.
Speaker 1: Declined We're good. I was like, you could, you're already paying me, I'll do it for free. They're like, you know what, you just keep doing what you're doing?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 1: Uh, what's the what's the over end?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Which one about CAL six six? Even that's higher than I would have thought it was six and a half slid down to six even I have a question. I know traveling doesn't really matter this day and age, but looking at their away games, they are nowhere near California when they're playing they at all, I feel like it has to matter in some scenario.
Speaker 1: At Auburn at Florida State, at pitt at Wake Forest.
Speaker 2: At SMU. I mean, that's so a lot of times I think the trap stuff's overrated. But when you're going from California, have five times completely across the country and starting a new in a new conference, I actually think that will weigh on.
Speaker 1: Them a little. I'm going under. I just don't know where those winds are. Where are those wins? Well, you see Davis, Okay, you think they beat San Diego State.
Speaker 2: They're gonna have to get anywhere near that wind total. Yeah, I'm sorry, that's under Maybe Stanford, Yeah fine, but I'm still under.
Speaker 1: What do you got?
Speaker 2: I'm under as well.
Speaker 1: Clemson. I cannot stand Dabo Sweety. Just need to get that on the record. He's still a coach, right is Gaully g I ain't gonna take tranfer. They don't follow the Lord. It's what we do here, Clempson.
Speaker 2: He's not changing for the rules we do in all heavenly follow What did he say in ile stood for No? He said we do it in the name, image and likeness of God. I thought, we do it full for night, the image of the lightness.
Speaker 1: Of the Lord.
Speaker 3: Then they beat Kentucky in a bowl game.
Speaker 1: Do you know who Jimmy Swagger is? That's the impression.
Speaker 3: I just I didn't know what you're going for.
Speaker 1: If it was Jimmy Swagger was a televangelist who who bought a prostitute and then he had to go on TV and he had to apologize for like live on his church. And he got up there and he started crying and he goes, oh asum against you, my Lord, and like he's crying and is like his makeup starts running. I think of Dabbo Sweeney when I see.
Speaker 3: That guy, like her little baby Billy in there too.
Speaker 1: Well, baby Billy is based on Jimmy Swagger.
Speaker 3: Okay, that makes sense?
Speaker 1: No, I mean, like baby Billy has the same slick back hair Jimmy Swagger. Does you need to look up Jimmy Swag? Like Jimmy Swagger was until Billy Graham's kid, he was the worst, like the most scam the list preacher, and then Billy not Billy Grant, Jerry fall Wells kid, Jerry foll Well's kid blew him out of the water. But what are we on? Okay, what's over?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 2: Nine and a half over?
Speaker 1: As much as I don't like him, they'll lose to Georgia. They might lose at Florida State, but then they're not gonna lose another game. You know, I'm gonna go under. You're slipping.
Speaker 2: They were kind of a failure last year by their standards, where they have like nine wins. I think they'll slip up somewhere you can't, you know, push the portal away in n I l and continue to be on the run that they were a few years ago. I think they're gonna continue to slip.
Speaker 1: Their quarterback is supposed to be really good, right, Like, don't they have a young guy that everybody's club. Yeah, it's supposed to be good, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But Dabbo's just so stubborn and it's changed so much since he had Deshaun Watson in those good runs. I just feel like they're gonna get farther and farther away from being at the top.
Speaker 1: All right, I like.
Speaker 3: That splip duke Duke Manny diaz is do you remember that name? Former Miami coach.
Speaker 1: We interviewed him, and we interviewed him on the Fine Bomb Show one time. Had nothing you said?
Speaker 2: You said to me, Manny Diaz from Miami's on and I didn't know it was that the hurricane the Dolphins.
Speaker 1: That was the first time we ever hosted Fine Bomb and I brought Drew on and they go all right. And we sat with the producer and he was like, all right, here's a rundown for today. We got Many diaz on Andrew and I both said we need some more info. They said Miami.
Speaker 2: Coach still didn't know. That didn't help it.
Speaker 1: He was like maybe baseball.
Speaker 2: I knew it wasn't Skulstra, so I eliminated that one, but it could have been the Dolphins.
Speaker 1: Say it like, we got many diaz on and we did both go all right, sported a little more than the.
Speaker 2: Manny Robertson. I don't know what's what's the wind to the wind total is five and a half. As they replaced Mike Elko who went to a and m I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna go they had a good year they did. I'm gonna go. Elon's a win, Yukon Middle Tennessee. It's pretty hard from there. Would you say five and a half, I'll go under. If it was four and a half, i'd dad. I think they went five.
Speaker 2: Elko had a good run, But I think Duke goes back to being Duke. With all due respect to many Ds, one of my all time favorite Miami coaches. I'm good joining you on the under Yeah, any DS that I wonder if he thinks about us.
Speaker 1: Another good Me and Drew hosting Fine Bomb is we'd spend a whole day preparing to which SEC town would we not want to live in? Ranking we were basically going to spend the whole day making fun of SEC towns. And then right before the show, the assistant coach at Ohio State gets allegations that he beat his wife and we had to do remember that, Yeah, and Drew and I had to host that show with that crowd. Okay, so we're having to talk about domestic abuse allegations with the Fine Bomb audience about Ohio State, who they all hate, and it was so new like the other shows hadn't talked about it like it was the first esp the guy who broke the story, who was Bret McMurphy, and ESPN had not had him on all day and they were getting a lot of criticism online for not having him on, and so they just decided to put him on Fine bamb because Fine Bomb knew him. But nobody bothered to check that Fine Bomb was off that day. So all of a sudden, my producer goes. The president of ESPN just called, he really needs you to handle this, And all of a sudden, the president of you at ESPN is trying to make sure I don't screw this interview up, which I don't know. They thought I'd like fallen off a turnip truck. I was gonna be a little brilliant, you know, I was. Actually it was a legal things.
Speaker 2: He actually worked out very well for it.
Speaker 1: It worked out and it actually it's how I got my that interview, and that day is how I got my national trust.
Speaker 2: You after that, no, I mean they that's I got it.
Speaker 1: That's how I got on the radar.
Speaker 2: Was that day, Zack Smith. That was a guy's name, good memory. All I wanted to do was make fun of Starkville, and we had to talk about Zach.
Speaker 1: And we we had talked. I mean, listen, domestic abuse is awful and trying to talk about it on the Fine Bomb Show three hours. It's not exactly an easy thing.
Speaker 3: Florida State, well, they beat Louisville in the conference championship game and then we're destroyed in their bowl game.
Speaker 1: But they planned to play like random guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mike Norval.
Speaker 1: Okay, they're gonna play in Dublin and then pretty easy schedule. Honestly, I mean, like you look at it. They play Clympson, they're at Miami, and they play Notre Dame. I'm gonna assume it's.
Speaker 2: Ten and a half, nine and a half. Give me the It's gonna be good. They got dj U from Oregon State. Even though I like to make fun of them at the end of last season when they didn't get in the playoff, I think they're gonna be back in the conversation this year. They're gonna be good.
Speaker 1: Ramlin wreck of Georgia Tech. Who's their coach?
Speaker 3: Bret Key?
Speaker 1: No idea?
Speaker 2: I know that name. Where'd he come from?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know he was interm he was an intern.
Speaker 3: An interim, head coach say in interim interim, way this we're.
Speaker 2: Now stopping a second intern intern.
Speaker 1: No, you keep saying interm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in turn t E R or interim three syllables if you're there's words interim in turn.
Speaker 1: First of all, we started by you couldn't say interim. Now you can't say intern. Is there something wrong with how you say words.
Speaker 3: That start with I?
Speaker 2: You say enter enter intern.
Speaker 1: That wasn't great inter Okay, So let's try again. Let's start with we have it KSR, interns, interns. You got that I was an intern once there you go, that was great. You did a lot better when you didn't just sound it out now interim interim?
Speaker 3: Is that it?
Speaker 1: Why was that so much?
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: How did you?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I got a lot going on, you know, I'm trying to write your thing down, and I'm trying to figure out who the head coach.
Speaker 2: Frustrated Georgia is.
Speaker 3: Okay, who even.
Speaker 2: Knows what conference are you on? Now? We're in the ACC, you know. Oh yeah, wait till you call a random town here in a little.
Speaker 1: Bit that you open the season in the air Lingus College Football Classic Drew got Erlings. What do you got? Uh?
Speaker 2: They're win total?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: Yeah, did I say it? Nine and a half? No, way, we're on. We're in Georgia Tech.
Speaker 1: Georgia Tech five.
Speaker 2: Sorry, they're playing each other and we've got them back to back and thrown off five.
Speaker 1: Their schedule is hard, like you look at it. They play they play Florida State, they play Miami, they play North Carolina, they play Notre Dame, they play Georgia, they play at Louisville. Where are they winning five games under?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to find a way to give them an over. I don't I might even go under on four. I mean, I don't know where they're winning the games. Five is crazy.
Speaker 1: They're gonna be Georgia State v and my and then Yeah, that's a definite. I'm going under. That's gonna be. That's so far. That's my lead for acc lock. All right, Georgia Tech under Louisville. Jeff Brom I know this one. What do you know? Oh?
Speaker 3: I just know, Jeff Brom.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 3: Well lost to Kentucky last game of the year.
Speaker 1: Well done, they were great. Then they lost their last three games and embarrassing performances. What's the win total this year? Eight and a half?
Speaker 2: Another one I feel strongly about, not just as a Louisville hater, go for it under why even though they had a great record last year until the end of the season, even their opponents they should have handled, they were all one possession games. I think they were five and oh in one possession games. That doesn't last forever. I think that it flips the other way this year. So it's it's eight and a half. Okay, I'm taking under.
Speaker 1: At Notre Dame Miami at Clemson. I mean, it basically comes down to if you think Kentucky's gonna beat them or not.
Speaker 2: And we already know how I feel about that one. I think they slip up somewhere else, though.
Speaker 1: You do, but where just Virginia would suspect that they're bad. Games are against really bad teams.
Speaker 2: At Boston College, how about right there?
Speaker 1: Bill, I'm gonna go because I'm gonna pick Kentucky to beat them. But really, honestly, if if they beat Kentucky, they'll go I mean they're gonna have They're gonna be eight and three coming into that Kentucky game. So okay, Uh Miami.
Speaker 3: Miami Mario crystal Ball. You know, they had a couple hiccups last year, seven and five.
Speaker 1: Twelve and thirteen and two years ago. Then this year, by the way, I think you're gonna tell me nine and a half.
Speaker 2: Right, it is nine even easy?
Speaker 1: Oh you're going I'm high Miami.
Speaker 3: This year.
Speaker 1: They're gonna lose. They'll lose at They'll lose to Florida State. But I think they go. I think they go eleven and one. It's pretty easy schedule, easy schedu They play at Florida, which started season, but if they win that game, I think they're going eleven and one. Miami is another. Like, what's the odds for Miami to get the playoff? I don't know what it is, but I I like the I like my I think Miami's gonna have a good year. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Florida State, Miami, maybe Clemson are your your three playoff teams you're looking at, and you.
Speaker 1: Might get three from the ACC, which is gonna be very rare I think in the future, but I think you might get it this year.
Speaker 2: I have Clemson slipping, but I think Florida State and Miami the other two in the conversation.
Speaker 1: N C State at Clemson, Tennessee. Who's their coach?
Speaker 2: Dave Dorran got it some of us that our homework.
Speaker 3: Billy I was on North Carolina alphabetically.
Speaker 1: Is okay, that's fine. Tell me what's they're over under.
Speaker 2: They're over under is eight and a half.
Speaker 1: Eight and a half, eight and a half. I'm gonna go under talking about NC State, m hmm. Yeah. I think they're one of those teams that always slightly underperforms. Give me in C State.
Speaker 2: Under it took a quarterback from Coastal Carolina. They won five of six at the end of last year. I'll be different, go.
Speaker 1: Over, Okay. I do not have strong opinions about in C State North Carolina.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Mac Brown lost Drake May from last year eight and four.
Speaker 2: That replaced Drake May with Max Johnson, one of the A and M quarterbacks that they couldn't get figured out last year.
Speaker 3: Brad Johnson's son.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 3: He is a lefty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're running out of time, and I don't really have any strong thoughts one way or the other.
Speaker 2: Seven and a half is the total.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go over. Like mac Brown, don't think he fails I'll go over with you, all right, Let's run through Pitt, SMU, and Stanford, quite frankly, because I don't care about any of them. Give me Pitt.
Speaker 2: Pitt totals five and a half. Last season they went three and nine with Pat Nardoozy under SMU. He was their worst season since nineteen ninety eight. I'll go under two.
Speaker 1: SMU. They're going to be better than you think. Is it seven and a half? Six and a half?
Speaker 2: Eight and a half. That's too many. I was with you. They can't do eight and a half. They're new to the conference. It's just gonna be weird that they're there in the first place.
Speaker 1: SMU. Uh, you know that's like the SMU is a school that rich people go to. Like like SMU is the school when when people in the Dallas area when they have kids and they want their kid to go to like Duke or whatever, but they can't get in, they send them to SMU.
Speaker 2: And then SMU got in the conference and they like take a deal like they they don't. Yeah, they can put off their money for the cents to the dollar, like they let s m U. They're like at SMU, you can work as a bouncer here you can you can hang out, but we're not giving you any of the money.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: It would be impressive if they came in and made a big splash. But I'm gonna go under.
Speaker 1: I will say this, SMU per capita, the hottest mothers of students.
Speaker 2: Hottest mothers of students. Okay, like parents weekends. We're old enough.
Speaker 1: Now that like you can't talk about the students, the children, but the on parents weekend. If you you're looking for divorced moms Dallas, no, because the divorce mom a probably got a good settlement in the divorce. Because everybody's rich at that school.
Speaker 2: Everybody Settlement mom university.
Speaker 1: That's what it stands. Settlement mom university University, Billy. That's where you go to meet. Well, you're getting married, but that's where in theory a single person like myself, that might be where I'm not saying I've gone out with an SMU mom, but maybe I have. And I'm telling you that's where that that that's what that school's done for.
Speaker 3: Not too far away from Austin, same state.
Speaker 2: So eight and a half, you're going under the single moms, have your attention.
Speaker 1: I haven't looked at their schedule. I'm gonna go under just because it's a new conference. Stanford. Yeah, who knows who's the coach?
Speaker 3: Troy Taylor, not David Shaw anymore.
Speaker 1: Troy Taylor sounds right.
Speaker 2: Another one with we're talking about the travel fun fact. They will travel eighteen thousand miles this season just to play their games. That's a lot. Four and a half, three and a half.
Speaker 1: While they'll beat San Jose State, they'll beat cal Poly, They're gonna go on the road and up sant Syracuse. They're gonna beat Wake Forest for homecoming.
Speaker 2: Over they were ranked outside the top one hundred in offense and defense each of the last three years.
Speaker 3: I'm going under.
Speaker 1: Andrew lockein't walking through that. I want you to think about. Can you imagine the excitement in Palo Alto when the wake Forest demon Deacons come in for homecoming. The band will be on the field, Tiger Woods in the stands. The over is a lot.
Speaker 2: Then a couple weeks later, Louisville comes to town. They'll be excited about that.
Speaker 1: You want to talk about a mismatch of academic profiles Stanford versus Louisville. I'm going under Syracuse. The QS is in the house. Oh my god, who's the coach?
Speaker 3: New coach Fran Brown defensive backs coach from Georgia replaces Dino Barbers neighbors.
Speaker 2: He got fired.
Speaker 1: It's a man named Frans franf Shillah. Okay, what's the over under? It is seven even under. I've got him losing Ohio or excuse me, beating Ohio. But then they're gonna lose to Stanford'll be well. They do have an easy schedule. But yeah, I'm looking at the schedule. I'm gonna go over. I trust Fran Brown. Friends.
Speaker 2: The man don't play anyone hard. Fran came from Georgia, where he was.
Speaker 1: The national can't believe I'm gonna take over on Syracuse. But that is an easy schedule. They do not play Florida State. They do not play Clemson. The only good team they play is Miami, and they play the worst teams in the conference. They play Stanford, they play col They play a yukon pitt.
Speaker 2: Wait till i'll tell you who their quarterback is, Kyle McCord from Ohio State. Guys play a little bit of ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna go over. I can't believe I'm going over on Syracuse, but I think you have to Virginia.
Speaker 3: Tony Elliott, head coach.
Speaker 1: You said that like I would know who that is, should I not?
Speaker 3: Necessarily? He was at Clemson for a while as an offensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: Okay, they've had consecutive seasons with three or fewer wins for the first time since nineteen eighty one. Haven't been doing well lately.
Speaker 1: They play Richmond. That's really the only game you can certainly say they're gonna win. Actual they have a hard schedule at Virginia Tech, at Notre Dame, at Clemson, at Coastal Carolina. They're going to Coastal Carolina. They're gonna lose that game. Unless you tell me this number is two and a half, I'm your way under four and a half under and Tony Elliott has never won more than three games. You talk about the program on the fall under Virginia, what's yours?
Speaker 2: Certainly under Virginia like that a lot Virginia Tech, Brent Priye, Okay, I would not have guessed that. Yeah, didn't they have?
Speaker 1: They had that guy from Memphis, what was his name?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: J C.
Speaker 3: Price or Justin.
Speaker 1: You mean they've had a coach since the guy from.
Speaker 3: Memphis in term. There we go again, interim.
Speaker 2: Why is that so hard? You did it? You did it just a minute ago.
Speaker 3: Now I've got a mental block on that second half of that word.
Speaker 1: If you don't think about it, you seem to get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like if I'm just filling in, I'm an interim head coach.
Speaker 2: See you got it there.
Speaker 1: The brain is weird though, you know what I mean, Like seriously, like the brain works in weird ways. That may just be like a mental block that you can say it if you just but if you think about it you can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it looks like it sounds okay, maybe it's on me.
Speaker 1: What's what's the number?
Speaker 2: The eight and a half? I was gonna bring up they've also had Bud Foster there from Somerset. Kentucky's no longer there, but that was a Kentucky.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go over that schedule is not hard. Clemson in Miami and that's really it. And it's eight and a half, eight and a half. Yeah, they're gonna win nine games. Give me Virginia Tech over you. Big Brent Prye guy, love him, love everything about him.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the roster. None of these names jump out. Uh so tells me it's gonna be a breakout year for Virginia Tech. I'll go over as well.
Speaker 1: That schedules easy, man, if they if they just win the games they're supposed to, they could easily win ten games.
Speaker 2: I mean they don't they bring back their quarterback, their top rusher, and their top receiver, their leader in sacks, their leader in tackles, and their leader in interceptions. I mean, I don't even know what twenty two starters.
Speaker 1: It is hard to find four losses on that schedule. Virginia Tech. That may be a sleeper that you may not be thinking about, that could be a playoff contender, just sheerly based on their schedule.
Speaker 2: They won their bowl game too.
Speaker 1: Finally, wake Forest.
Speaker 3: Dave Clawson has been there.
Speaker 1: It's been there for a while. Everybody to know, everybody speak up at once.
Speaker 2: What's the Billy's Billy's knowledge has gotten shorter and shorter. He's now just saying the names of the coaching coaches names. He's like, it's been a long podcast. I understand. All right, four and a half, they're gonna meet up North Carolina A and T. They'll beat Louisiana, they'll beat Yukon, they'll beat cal that's four. Can I find a fifth win? No?
Speaker 1: I have him losing the cow under.
Speaker 2: That a top five offense three years ago, and since they haven't been inside the top one hundred now, they're just going the wrong way. Under Dave Clawson, I'm going under two.
Speaker 1: All right, wake Forest has. If you've ever been to wins Salem, no, you know what? Do you know why his name? Winston Salem? No, you don't know. No, was there a guy cigarettes? Think about it? Winston Cigarettes. Yeah, Salem cigarettes.
Speaker 3: They're just making SIGs back in there.
Speaker 1: That was like the that was the America's biggest producer of cigarettes in the in the whole country was well, I mean the tobacco was in Virginia and Kentucky, but the actual manufacturing was in Winston Salem. You know what, even when I went to law school in the early two thousands, when you drove through there, it smelled like cigarettes.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, and I'm not even kidding about that.
Speaker 1: It really did. It doesn't anymore, but it did back then. It was so big.
Speaker 2: They had the NASCAR Winston Cup.
Speaker 3: All right, those cigarettes, So can I get an ashtray at the waffle house there, or am I gonna have to do?
Speaker 1: You smoke a lot?
Speaker 3: No? No, But I was in Salem, Indiana, and they gave me an ash tray at a waffle house.
Speaker 1: Excuse me for not for certain knowing that connection about who gave you an ashtray. However, many years ago that was I wouldn't have I was saying about this in Europe, where a lot of people smoke, like a lot of people smoking, I was. It is amazing to what extent the United States has eradicated smoking in a very short period of time. When people tell you that like the government can't do something, they can if they want to. Because smoking, when I was in college, everybody smoked, like everybody you know, you'd walk And it was when I was when I first got to college, you could smoke in the door. Now by the time I got out of college, they made you go outside, but everybody stood outside and smoked. But my first year people were smoking in the dorm, which is crazy. They used to smoke on airplanes, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: He still occasionally see a little ashtray.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean like it's it's wild. And the fact that Now. I know young, younger people vape, but when's the last time you've seen like a college student. I mean, we had a smoking area at my high school, like students to go smoke in high school.
Speaker 2: I still think it's crazy. We'd walk in a restaurant and they'd say smoking or not, and you would just be feet away from the people smoking, and that was supposed to make a difference. Yeah, I can see them.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't even be a barrier. It was like it's like the table the next.
Speaker 3: Table over, or on an airplane too, right.
Speaker 1: I just said that a minute ago. Yes, So the how much that has changed so quickly is really amazing because in Europe people still smoke, not like they do used to here twenty five years ago, but they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as you said, I think Americans replaced it with vaping, because that is everywhere were they vaping in Europe.
Speaker 1: Less vaping, more smoking.
Speaker 2: I was at a restaurant recently and the person take care of me would lean down to vape like I couldn't see her, and then would just blow the biggest cloud up in the airs like that. You're not high as well as you think you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but still though I mean, vaping's not as bad for you as cigarettes is it.
Speaker 2: Don't think it's not good for you, shouldn't do it, but it certainly doesn't disturb as many people around you. It's as a little more inconspicuous.
Speaker 1: But like, it is crazy to me to think about what's what it used to be like in America. I mean, my grandfather, rest his soul, would just like blow the smoke in my eye, you know, good luck. And now when I walk into a place where people smoke, what's the last place you've walked into that has a smell of smoke? Even houses, don't that waffle house? And which makes us go full circle real quick. Since there will be at least one team from the playoff, one team in the playoff that's not in a power conference? Who is your pick for team in the playoff that is not in the power conference? Since I'm throwing this on you, Drew, I'll give mine for me. The team that's going to get in is Apple latch in state. Appalachian State will play Liberty at the end of the year and they will play each other. I think it's the last game of the year in the Sun Belt and they will or no, they don't play them in the Sunbelt. Liberty is not in the sun Belt never mind, but Apple, Yeah, they play them September twenty eighth. The winner of that game is going to go to the playoffs. Appalachian State is going to be eleven. They play at Clemson, but they won't get punished for that game. As a matter of fact, they'll actually probably get credit for that game because it will improve their schedule. They're going to go undefeated in the in the in the Conference. They play Liberty in boone, a home field. Liberty won't make it anyway, because they got beat so bad by Oregon last year that even if they were twelve and Nino oh, they're not putting them in that game again. So, Drew, my pick is that Appalachian State in the sun Belt will be the team to go to the playoff.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go Tulane.
Speaker 1: Okay, good pick. I think that's the Honestly, I think those are the two most likely teams.
Speaker 2: I don't even know their schedule, I don't know their odds. I'm just a big fan of John Sumrall taking over and what he did at Troy, and I think he's gonna have them playing well, I mean, here's the only problem forne Here's the only problem for Tulane.
Speaker 1: They play Kansas State and Oklahoma, and I feel like they gotta win one of those to get in, and I don't think they will. I think it's gonna be hard for a ten and two team to go because I think somebody will be undefeated or have one loss. I think that's gonna make it hard. If you like Tulane, though, let me give you the underrated billy game of the year in college football that you probably don't think about. Okay, please Tulane and Memphis play the last game of the year. Memphis has a good chance to be they play at Florida State. They'll lose that game, but they have a chance to be eleven or ten and one going into that tou Lane. That Tulane game against Memphis last game of the season. It's already scheduled on a Thursday night on Thanksgiving on ESPN on Thanksgiving. Okay, I think they're putting it on Thanksgiving because they believe there'll be a chance that that might be the who's going to the playoff Tulane or Memphis game. That's one to watch because I think Memphis is really good. So if you're looking at the contenders, I think Tulane, Memphis, and Appalachian State are the best contenders.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I just kind of just pulled that off my brain. Didn't even know their schedule. But go Green Wave.
Speaker 1: I believe we try to act like we don't know what we're talking about, but I actually on this because I think it's interesting that there's gonna be a random team.
Speaker 2: Go James Madison could be in the conversation again even though they changed coaches.
Speaker 1: Could be Well, thank you all very much. We appreciate Please tell your friends, uh, subscribe to podcast. It's nice to have you. If you had a chance and you're a listener, like, give us a rating, they live a comment if they can come and say, of all the podcasts I've seen, this one is great and it's mostly because is so prepared.
Speaker 4: That would be the one to see you all way. M