Speaker 1: I am all in again. Hello, Let's just you.
Speaker 2: H I am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast. Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast, one of them productions.
Speaker 1: iHeartRadio Media.
Speaker 2: I heart Podcast one on one episode with Eddie Shan we are breaking down Season one, episode twenty one, Love Daisy's and Troubadours.
Speaker 1: Eddie, Welcome, how are you? I'm great man, good to be here, Suzanne.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, Hello, our newly anointed superstar with all the charisma for Riz as the kid said the todays, Eddie Shin, as you know, is Henri Cho on Gilmore Girls. He was first appearance season one, episode seventeen, The Breakup, Part two, where he meets Lane at a party and sparks do fly unexpectedly because he is the perfect person that Lane's mom would approve of and therefore he is unsuitable to Lane. Thanks for joining us, Bud. This is the season one and finale. Have you watched Gilmore Girls before?
Speaker 1: This is your first episode? Ddie? No, I remember last you when I when I got cast. So Gilmore Girls was my first TV job ever, right Like I was actually in Vegas when I got the call to you know, from my agent twit and hadn't even met yet, being like, hey, there's a show Gilmore girls, you have an audition. You've got to be in La by Monday. It was like a Saturday night or something like that. So I remember after I got cast, I had watched that episode, and then of course I rewatched the episode that you just mentioned. Episode. Yeah, well, here we go.
Speaker 2: Air date May tenth, two thousand and one, twenty almost twenty four years ago. Here's their synopsis. Lower a line, Max, we kindled the romance, and boy do that they ever? As Luke and Rachel fade, Rory clashes with Tristan, which is pretty easy to do. Who misleads Paris and Friends, and finally speaks to Dean post breakup. Directed by the one and only Amy Sherman Palladino, written by the one and only Daniel palladin all right, let's get into this, guys, Rory and Dean's breakup and reunion.
Speaker 1: Rory and Dean have been through a rough patch.
Speaker 2: Since, they say, since she didn't say I love you back when when Dean you know, said his I love you and it was hanging out there like a big moss of ball. Rory's curiosity leads her to look for Dean around Star Sola.
Speaker 1: What you guys think of this? I liked it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was cute. The whole thing with the younger sister. I thought was a little weird that they had dated for three months but Clara didn't recognize Rory and Rory did no Claire's name. I thought that was a little odd, But in general I thought it was cute how she was starting to realize she still had feelings for Dean and was running around town looking for him.
Speaker 1: And they needed a little sister to like draw up the drama of like, wait, what do you mean my picture is still in his room or whatever? You know, sort of draws you in to be like, wait o, there's a little feelings or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah she was. She got a little overbearing. Laurie got a little overbearing there, didn't she trying to force the issue go in the room and get the pictures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little stocker is Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was a little much, but I'm out a little out of character for her, But I guess she feels like she screws up and then she speaks. Roy does at the town meeting in favor of the town Jupiter, but her speech takes on a deeper meaning with hidden messages regarding the way she feels about Deane.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a very clever device.
Speaker 2: And I enjoy those scenes because you get to see Dean react, you know, and it keeps us in the story. So later Dean surprises Rory at Chilton, only to see Rory in Tristan together. Good god, what a scene. What a satisfying scene. I mean, if you're ever gonna you know, wallop the creepy Tristan, right, that's the way to do it. Yeah, I mean, there's there's this is just no coming back.
Speaker 1: Ro What did you guys think of that? Well? It was especially good in light of the other sort of love stories that had sort of come to a head, come to ahead by this episode, which was you know, obviously you're you're you know, I should say, Luke's story with Rachel, and then you know Laura Lai, you know, with with her whole sort of like you know, the proposal, So everything sort of crescendoed and you're just kind of like, well this is crazy, you know. So it was very satisfying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, to sort of recap all this. Rory finally says I love you back, but she doesn't say I love you. She says, I love you you idiot, don't you idiot? I loved Is that what she said? Yes, it was just such a terrific It was such a terrific film moment.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And boy uh you know the director that where they put the camera and how they focused on Tristan a little bit into that moment where we could see his entire world just crumble before our eyes and he just put the books down.
Speaker 1: It just put her books down and wandered off in his sadness.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Rory and Dean have this passionate kiss right in front of the entire Chiltern student body. Let me ask you this, Henri and you two Susan, have either of you gone out of your way accidentally to run into someone you had feelings for?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, especially at that age, like in school, Not not that it was you know, particularly hard to do. You know, you just go go go to like Barnes and Nobles to study, you know, because you know someone else is studying there, and you know you bring your group of friends that they bring their you know, group of friends and you also hang out but all the time. Yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we used to do basically what Rory did because our you know, my group of friends and I our crushes all worked at places that we would go into normally. So we would just accidentally go to the yolkre shop when someone was working, like it was exactly the same thing as Rory going into Dosie's Market. But yeah, we totally did that at that age. We drive by their house and all that. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we've all done that at one time or another.
Speaker 1: It's usually high school. Yeah, you don't know, you don't know how else to go about it. But the semi you know, stocker is shit right exactly.
Speaker 3: We don't do that anymore though, No, No.
Speaker 2: I stopped doing that last week Tuesday. Let's talk about this storyline. Max proposes to Laura. I wow, this was packed with Max Laurel I cage match, what what a and a really great scene. You know, I think the Luke Max uh uh how should we call this?
Speaker 1: Uh? They had some kind of a I.
Speaker 3: Think we can call it jealousy.
Speaker 1: It was a measuring contest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good way way to put it.
Speaker 2: And and if that wasn't great enough, the scene that followed between Max and Laurel I was just great.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was my favorite Max Laurel I scene.
Speaker 1: You mean, the one where she shows up at the hotel.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no no, in the living room, because it spills into the living room because Max says, you know, what's going on there? I sense something's going on, like what is he doing?
Speaker 1: Like right after you leave?
Speaker 2: He seems to be everywhere, you know, like I'm sensing something. So they're in the living room, they're going at it, and then they decided to start over it. That absolutely is my favorite because it.
Speaker 1: Because it.
Speaker 2: Shows her feelings, it shows everybody's feelings, and it shows his insecurity. It shows Luke's insecurity in another way, and it shows Laureli's confusion right and her unconscious attraction to Luke perhaps who knows right. Very interesting dynamic there, interesting how they how they write it. And one of the more satisfying scenes in the entire series is that scene overall, but especially the one in the living room between Max and Laurel I.
Speaker 1: Well, frustrating too, frustrating scene too, because we spend so much time with Luke and you know, obviously he goes through his whole break, you know, Rachel takes off and so you know, secretly, as fans, like you're like, oh, Max is a good guy. He's playing you know, he's staying the right things. Obviously by the end of the scene he's sort of doing the right things, I guess. But as a fan you're like, well, that's getting in the way of what we want for Lorelai, which is Luke. You know. So it's like this, It's like, why am I hating on a guy that's just like a great a great dude. So it almost gives you internal conflict in the same way maybe that Laura.
Speaker 2: Lies right right, and Luke is so much more cautious than Max. Max really just lays it out there, doesn't he. I mean, he's not shy. He's like, this is how I feel, Boom, what's going on?
Speaker 1: I love you? Will you marry me?
Speaker 2: And who's this guy? And I don't like how that makes me? So it seems like Max is more in touch with his feelings. He's not a shame to lay it down the line with her because the statics are so high for him. He just but I think are you getting the sense that Max is blowing it because he's pushing too hard?
Speaker 3: I that is, That's kind of where I went with it. And I feel like the more I watched the show, maybe the less I like Max. He's very he was very possessive.
Speaker 1: I felt like, uh, right away, coming from.
Speaker 3: The last episode where he was getting on Laura Live for not telling all her friends that they had started speaking again and he wasn't happy about that, And now this episode he varied that scene in the foyer with Luke. He was totally trying to mark his territory. And I was kind of glad that Laura called him out on the proposal because I didn't feel like he was proposing because he really wanted to get married. It almost felt like he was proposing to show that she's his.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I can almost get what Max is trying to do up until that point, Like I mean, if that's your girl and some dudes like pushing up against her, yeah, you got to say something. And even if it's a little inappropriate or jealous, you understand where that comes from. But once the proposal hit, I was like, that is such a misstep, Like, where's that coming from? I totally agree. I totally agree.
Speaker 2: That is the worst time to do that. When you're in the middle of a fight. That's just that's just absolute desperation that you're going to lose her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just so.
Speaker 2: It really does show a very deep insecurity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think he does love her, I think, but I think he was just the proposal was more out of panic than anything else.
Speaker 2: But Suzanne, love is letting something go, and if it's really love, it comes back. You know that here, all right, Sophocles will shut up here.
Speaker 3: When we get to the inn. The daisies I thought were an adorable touch, But he wasn't there. He was on the phone, which that kind of bugged me too.
Speaker 1: Like he should have been there.
Speaker 2: Like he may be just in his underwear, covered in roast in days thousand das with a note on top and say, you know, find me or something.
Speaker 1: That wouldn't have been desperate at all. I never even thought about that because I was just so caught up visually in the moment. I was like, oh, that's a that's a really cool scene. That's a great gesture. But you're right, and he's just like, okay, cool, I'll tell you that she called.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was it was beautifully said.
Speaker 1: It was a beautiful that's right, that's what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just it was just over the top.
Speaker 3: And that was way more than a thousand daisies.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, it looked like like ten thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but her reaction was was just really precious, wasn't it. And it was mixed with it still the confusion and the indecision. It wasn't like, this is it, He's got me, there's this doubt.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, guys.
Speaker 3: Even when she was talking to Luke at the end, she's like, well I think I'm happy maybe, like just yeah, she was flattered by the gesture, but still wasn't sure about the deeper the deeper sentiment.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's that confusion like this is everything I want, but it's.
Speaker 1: The wrong guy, you know, kind of subtextually, and.
Speaker 2: She does that so well, right, Yeah, you can feel that, you can read it on her face a little bit and without being obvious about it.
Speaker 1: That thing's hard. It's hard, right, Eddie. It's so hard. So fun, Scott, but so fun.
Speaker 2: It's fun, but it's really hard to nail those moments. I mean, you really just have to prep and oh my all right, lor Ling, Okay, so yeah, there you go. I mean I think that storyline we can put that to bed as it were, no pun intention.
Speaker 1: All right, let's let's get into.
Speaker 2: A little bit Luke and Rachel breakup stuff.
Speaker 1: Uh what do you.
Speaker 2: Think I felt overall it was a little bit incomplete.
Speaker 1: I wanted more.
Speaker 2: I wanted to see more, you know, I don't know, one more scene of not just the sort of finale where she's packed and she's gone and it's like, hey.
Speaker 1: Did you want something to like tie up the loose ends more or what? Yeah, I did, just to have at least a conversation. You know. I think it's because.
Speaker 2: I don't know that the fans are so invested at that point in Rachel and Luke, and they're a little more invested in Max and Laurele I because they really developed Max. I mean Max has been, you know, a serious contender. And did you guys ever take Rachel seriously as a contender for his heart?
Speaker 1: I mean, I.
Speaker 2: You do in a way where you think he's going it's a wayward path and you want to get him off that path, you know, fan wise, like no, no, no, no, he's for laurel I he loves laurel I don't do that, Rachel, we hate you.
Speaker 1: Go away?
Speaker 2: So they didn't, you know, so they wrote it that way, so he went away. But with Max and laurel I do you think the fans felt that way too, Like Max go away? This is the wrong path, because it felt right a lot of the time, right between Max and Laurelai until he started getting you know, uber possessive.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's my thought.
Speaker 3: I tend to agree with that. I think they didn't fully develop Rachel to the extent that they did with Max, because Max was also a figure in Rory's life, you know, as her teacher, so he was kind of always around, and Rachel was more like just a plot device to put some tension or some space between Luke and LORELEI. Having said that, I actually liked Rachel and Luke. I liked that storyline. They weren't endgame, but I liked that kind of tension between the three of them, and I agree that there could have been more there. They could have. I mean, I get that they were at the end of the season, and so they kind of wanted to just tie that off and not have to carry it into the next season, but I would have liked to see another couple episodes of that storyline to see how it all played out. I liked Rachel as a character.
Speaker 1: I did too. But at the same time, though, since we spent so much more like this proportionate amount of time with Luke just his reaction to like always being at laurel Ies fixing stuff up, you're like, what else really needs to be said? Like if his heart is not even in that space and he's physically not even there, Like what more do we really need to see from a conversation or what could she say to make him you know what I mean, to win us over? Whereas for Laurel I, it's almost the opposite, where we're almost kind of like we're almost like pulling our hair out because we're like, the gestures are so grand, but you're almost hoping that she doesn't get swept away by the gesture and to listen to like what's underneath that, because they're so over the top that you're like, who wouldn't fall in love with that? But then you have to like take a breath and be like, well, what's going on inside? And so you're like, please pay attention to that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's true.
Speaker 2: I also liked that Laurel I became really unhinged and kind of yelled at Luke for being there so early and driving her crazy, and that they have the comfort with each other where she can do that and he doesn't take it personally, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's almost like they are already I.
Speaker 2: Mean they're behaving somewhat in a way where they're already a married couple and settled in their relationship, but without you know, you know, consummating it or being together in a real sense in reality.
Speaker 1: And the flip side is true too, because Luke tends to be so rough around the edges and so not willing to open up to anybody that the fact that he does even show, like you know, a modicum of emotion and openness with Laura l or like see, she's the one who can like draw you out and like you can be open with her. That that that goes a long way, Whereas I feel like Max can be open with anybody. He's just so well spoken and smooth in that way that that makes us love Luke that much more. You know, I should say, Luke and Laura Lai that much more right, right? Right?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Rachel all packed up and he walks into the diner and it's see Saya and Aura. Yeah, uh relief. Did we feel relief? Where we like, yeah, that was going to happen, And I'm glad they didn't make up such a meal out of it. You know, what do you think?
Speaker 3: I think it wasn't unexpected. I mean, I don't think that anybody watching it for the first time would think that they're that relationship was going to continue. I mean we kind of we kind of knew it wasn't going to last, right all right.
Speaker 1: I felt bad. I still felt bad for her.
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 1: So sweet, and she obviously, like anyway, just thinks that it Sometimes it just turns out that way. It's one of those things. So here's a question for both of you.
Speaker 2: What is it about Luke and Laurel I that makes them such a great match even though they aren't together yet?
Speaker 1: Why Why does it work so well?
Speaker 3: I think it's it's what you just touched on, that they're just so comfortable with each other, Like they're clearly good friends, and you know, they they can they they bicker and they banter, but it's all good at the end, Like they always if they argue, they always make up. Like it's just there's just a basis there that's of friendship before the physical attraction. So I think it's just that they know each other well and they're good.
Speaker 1: Friends, do you think, Eddie, Yeah, it's kind of like that thing else, you know, I have. I have like certain people in my life where you know, they could be a little gruff, a little rough around the edges, but they're like the meanest, nicest people I know, do you know what I mean? I kind of feel of like that's kind of like Luke to Laurelize that like he does little things that you're like, if you didn't know any better, you just be like, yeah, he's just getting a coffee or whatever it is. But there's like little things that you're like, oh, and you know, and obviously a big part of it is just like chemistry, right like between between you and Lauren, there's obviously something that we see that's sort of like an alchemy that we're like something works, you know, and it's almost unspoken, and so the mixture of all that stuff, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's they're so unabashedly themselves and they feel that they can be themselves around each other. Yeah, so there's that comfort level right where he doesn't change who he is in her presence, and she doesn't change. She becomes more of who she is in his presence, and I think it's the same with him. So like any type of social mask that they would wear, ever, however thin it might be, comes off when they are together, and so there's that comfort level, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very very.
Speaker 2: Interesting dynamic between those two.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 2: Let's get into Paris's resentment towards Rory and Tristan. Laugh out loud stuff, the Eliza Wheel reactions, the anger, the force, the potential violence is just too funny for words, all wrapped up in one sort of shortish.
Speaker 1: Teenage girl in a private school.
Speaker 2: So Tristan stretching the truth by telling Madeline, Louise and Paris that he's taking Rory to peach the PJ.
Speaker 3: Harvey concert, He's not even stretching the truth.
Speaker 1: He's lying right, right.
Speaker 2: Right, right, not even aware that PJ.
Speaker 1: Harvey is a woman. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then later a little later on, Paris with her passive aggressive resentment towards Rory for setting up Tristan in Paris in the first place, right, Do you think Rory should have done more to smooth over things with.
Speaker 1: Paris, because I think she did a lot.
Speaker 3: Actually, I don't know that she could have done more. I mean, Paris was set in her belief as to what happened and she wasn't having anything that Rory had to say, So I don't know that Rory could have done anymore.
Speaker 2: I thought I thought Rory defended herself very well in a situation where, you know, Paris flipped the power dynamic and I'm editor and you're gonna get parking a lot of assignments, and now Rory's like, oh geez, now I've got to kiss the ring a little bit and you know, and make up make it up here.
Speaker 1: And I thought she quit herself very well. M hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 2: She Paris wasn't having it, wasn't having it, so find herself in a pickle there, Rory again.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I felt bad for Rory because Tristan was a complete jerk in this episode, spreading lies about her and getting her in trouble with Paris, and uh, you know, Rory was just the innocent victim. She didn't do anything wrong. I felt bad for her.
Speaker 1: I forget. Did Rory ever say straight up that, like Tristan's just lying, I'm not going with him. Yes, she did say that, right yeah, and then and it still sort of fell on deaf ears right, yes, okay.
Speaker 2: She was an av Yeah, yeah, there was that fog of rage over her brain, just like she was just on the war path. But again, hysterical stuff. The slamming of the locker just great.
Speaker 1: Waiting for a tram or something like that.
Speaker 2: Oh and then they're all like positioned on the stairs like in some choreographed and then they turn and walk away. Ye did they steal that from something that It looked like they Still it looked.
Speaker 3: Like they did, but I don't know, huh. I probably shouldn't know.
Speaker 2: But it was that mean girls or something, and I don't know.
Speaker 3: It definitely did look like it was an.
Speaker 1: Omock thing, all right.
Speaker 2: The Troubadour Wars, which I found just fall off the couch funny. Any Grantly Phillips that you get in the episodes, they're just a joy. And he really got some nice coverage in this episode, right. He had had some lines, he had a couple of scenes, just a great storyline for for Grant and and David, the stars hollow Town Troubadour.
Speaker 1: Getting some unexpected competition across the street. So good, so good, so Grant.
Speaker 2: You know, Grant's only been the town Troubadour for six months and he presents his concerns the town town hall meeting.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought.
Speaker 2: Michael Winters was on fire in this in this episode. It was just this was my favorite town hall meeting, I think it was. This was really like tops for me so far, but really just great funny stuff and everybody, you know, they decide on it and vote and that's it.
Speaker 1: Too bad, Too bad, David, you're done, You're out.
Speaker 2: You can't do that to the Town Troubadour. We value this guy so much. And that's the same town all meeting where Rory makes her little speech, right, yeah, yeah, Why do you guys think this was even in the episode.
Speaker 1: There's got to be a reason.
Speaker 3: There always has to be some weird town quirkiness going on.
Speaker 1: Well, it also, as you mentioned, sets up Rory's big speech yeah right, which is directly relates to what the Troubadour is going through. As you know, obviously the audience knows better, but the people in the town hall think it's just about the troubadour.
Speaker 2: Right, but what a brilliant way to do it.
Speaker 1: Right, so good, so charming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a brilliant, right charming way to do this, and so entertaining and so much fun to watch.
Speaker 3: And it ties back to you know, there's there's like a territory war going on between Luke and Max, and now there's this literal territory war going on between these two troubadours fighting over this town.
Speaker 1: Right and then Dean interested in and interested.
Speaker 2: In Paris and yeah, right, yeah, all fighting for turf.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I loved the way the troubadour thing wrapped up though, like with the two of them performing, because.
Speaker 1: That's what music's all about. Man, it was so good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So now we have this closing scene we see special moment at the end where and I thought this was really the great ending of all endings of any episode to see these two running at each other, mother and daughter running at each other because their lives are starting to really blossom and they're in love again and they all and they just run at each other and jump up and down like they're like, you know, Lorealize the little kid and we really see how special their relationship is. I mean, it's just it's just very heartwarming to see that. And I think anybody watching that mother and daughter watching that scene is just they fall deeper and deeper in love with this show.
Speaker 1: And I bet you the tears were just flowing, you know. I mean, especially in light of all the relationships that we talked about in this episode. It brings it back to like what the show's at the heart. It is called gil Mortals, right, and this is this is the primary thing.
Speaker 2: And the healing quality of the show, because you know, I do a lot of conventions, and what I hear most what is the mother daughter and how it brought us back together. And now we watch it religiously together and it's healed our relationship and now our father's involved and our brothers are involved, and it's just it's really helped our family. So it's like this this tonic for people's lives and it's just wonderful to hear it. And and that scene, that scene encapsulates that the power of love.
Speaker 1: The power of love? Right, Yeah, what are we gonna say? Sorry?
Speaker 3: Oh, I was just gonna say I loved the camera work the way that they told the story with the close up of each of them running and then it goes out to the macro level with the crane shot above the whole square. I just I love the way they did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thinks they know what they're doing things. They know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: They's they are master storytellers for sure. What a what a team Eddie. Now we're going to focus on you, young man.
Speaker 1: Can I just say yes? After seeing Gilmore Girls, after of years of like, you know, obviously there was a fair amount of nostalgia for me since, like I said, that was my first job. I mean, you guys, you know, obviously you guys talk about this all the time, their pot and stuff. But I have to say, just the overall just feeling, I didn't, you know, I didn't expect to feel the way that I felt after that show, you know, after that one episode, just to be like, man, it just feels like an old friend that you just love so much, and it just you just wish that life could feel that way, right, And I just I don't know, it was pretty shocking, is shocking to me.
Speaker 2: And I was like, wow, that was like I think you're trying to say you teared up.
Speaker 1: I was like wallowing. I was like, Wow, that vibe is just so it's just unique.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the fields that it does. Man, all right, how did you first get the role of Henry Show?
Speaker 1: Do you remember? Yeah? I was? I was. I was doing theater in Chicago. My my reps out there were like, hey, you're getting some interest down in LA. I was like, great, I don't want to go. I just want to be a theater actor in Chicago. They're like, you're a moron. Just go see what happens. Chicago's not going anywhere. So I was like okay. So I took like a two week road trip with my buddy Jimmy. We're in Vegas. This will date me. My page is blowing up and I'm like I'm like all right, and they're like, yeah, you got to be in La by Monday. Was I was there for the weekend and and they're like, there's a show Gilmore Girls that wants to you know, meet you. Drop my buddy off at the airport, pulled out the old paper Thomas Guide and I was like, where this Warner Brother's place When there was a room full of people. Turns out that all the casting directors were actually from Chicago, so that sort of put me at ease. Uh and then yeah, I read for it, and then like a day and a half later, they're like, yeah, cut, you're you got the part. And I was like, nice, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how many episodes did you expect to be and did they tell you?
Speaker 1: I don't remember. At the time, they may have even said that I was recurring, but I'm not sure. But I mean at the time I was so green, I wouldn't even know what that meant, right, Because I think the first season ended, I went back to Chicago to do a theater show and then and then they called again to be like, hey, we wrote him in a few more episodes. Yeah mm hmm. Nice. Yeah that's great. Well, so what was it like working with Keiko? Yeah, it was, it was It was great. It was funny watching the episode that we went over because my memory of it's it's weird when like offset dynamics mirror onset dynamics, and I remember like I would rarely see like Teal, Paris and Shelley without one without the other two, so you know, and then with Keko, I always saw Kiko sort of separately. And then I would always you know, you know as far as and then and then Rory would just sort of sort of be coming in and out as as I saw her. But Keko was just such such a sweetheart. And I've seen her since a few times, like she's uh, she just does a lot of improv and there was a time where I was deep into the improv scene, so I would see her at shows and you know we'd always say hi and stuff like that. But yeah, she was always just really really fun and sweet. Favorite memories I think just the excitement of, like I said, this was my first TV job and I had just landed in in LA so just just you know, the thrill of just being on an actual professional set and like you know the party scene where I met they were like all these extras and I'm like, whoa, this is like this is how they do it, and just like you know, wide eyed, and it was this a great foraid to the industry. Yeah, uh, do you get recognized for being on the show. Yeah, you know, years after this, like maybe about five years ago, I was doing a different show, and like mothers would bring their daughters to like you know meet the cast of that show and the daughters would be fans of that show, and the mothers would be fans of Gilmore Girl. So it'd be like this weird dynamic where like the kid would be like, hey, you're Dave and the parents would be like, no, he's Henry. So you know, yeah, just randomly. Yeah, Gilmore Girls fans very passionate. Man Like, there's no there's not like a middle ground of like the Gilmore Girl like either they're in or they're like, what's you know, Either they're like I don't know what Gilmore Girls would like do he's Henry show? You know? Yeah, they are quite extraordinary. Yeah, so you were a series regular on that eighties show. Yeah, that was the show that took me off. Gilmore Girls. Oh really yeah, because, like the way I remember it well, people know that seventies show, and the creators of that show were creating a spin off, and so we let the show, you know, Gilmore Girls, you know, Amy know that hey he's I mean I probably went in the audition for that thing like seven or eight times, and by the time the fifth or sixth audition came around, we sort of let Gilmore Girls and they're like, hey, this is turned this might turn into something, and of course it did, and then so you know, Amy was like, oh that's too bad. You know, we had other things planned for Henry. But you know what Best of Love? Right? Seven auditions? Yeah, because like they did again, I was sort of new to the to the city and a lot of the cast were like who Eddie who, Like where's he from? Blah blah blah. So you know, the first couple of rounds were just like these hundreds of people where they just read you. And then eventually I got to meet the producers and then you know, you sort of moved.
Speaker 2: So it took you, you know, three or four auditions just to get to the producer level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like three auditions to get to the producer, then like two of the producers, and then there's a studio level, and then then you know, the network level. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, man, I just I got this job so easily.
Speaker 1: I had Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 2: One read Yeah, because it was because Luke was a guest star in the pilot.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. And then they're just like, yeah, this guy's gonna stick around. I didn't have to get amazing, and I've been through all that.
Speaker 2: I've been through the whole Ringer of Yeah, all the studio level, network level, you know, it takes right and you never you're going to get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been through. I don't have to go through that on this. That's that's the best way where you sort of take the back door. Yeah, exactly, exactly. That's amazing. Announced in the first meeting.
Speaker 2: Listen, this is the only chance you're going to get to read me, So either get or I'm sailing.
Speaker 1: Nice cocky. I remember in the room there was for Gilmore Girls. It was it was it was it was the two casting directors of the casting associate who has now since become a casting director, and then Amy was there, and then there was another like consultants to the show who wanted to see if, like I could authentically pass as like a young Korean American man. Oh really, okay, I think it was she was like, actually Amy's actual friend Helen Pie. Is that who it was?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Helen Pie. It was probably Helen. Yeah, yeah, they're very good friends.
Speaker 1: And I have and I have the audition side somewhere for Gilmore Girls. I was trying to find him before the podcast, be like what scene did I read for? But it's floating around in my house somewhere right right.
Speaker 2: So you've had a pretty diverse career, really, West World, Beef, sitcoms, Alex and Katie. You prefer comedy drama?
Speaker 1: What do you like? I think just my personality I think lends it self to like the multicam. Well, I just like it as the genre. But as you know, as you know, as you go through things in your own life, you kind of want to express it in different ways, and sometimes you're just feeling like, I want to do something a little bit more dramatic versus I feel like, you know, letting loose a little bit on the silly side. So that was something that was always important to me to do a variety of different stuff. Let's create a new character of the multiicam dramas so.
Speaker 2: We don't have to do it over and over and over again, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I mean, you still have to do it.
Speaker 2: You still have to repeat your stuff on the multicams, but they're all unique takes and they're all preserved that way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean. The tricky thing about that is sometimes they just read write a lot. I mean not sometimes they all the time they're like, hey, your new line is this and sort of on the spot you have to deliver. But some I'm sure some of the hours you had on Gilmore Girls must have been brutal. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, yeah, but I mean that's just that's just TV. That's yeah, that's the nature of the thing it is. That's that's the nature of the beast. They they say they don't pay for to act. They pay you to wait to wait around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right right. Any upcoming projects fans should look out for. Uh yeah, I'm doing a bunch of voiceover stuff right now. Unfortunately they're sort of riddled with like I signed my life away with like NDA's you know, I don't talk about this stuff. I'm like, you know whatever, but just you know, voiceover stuff I'm doing, you know, a project with Sony. We're working on a game and then some an animated series that's gonna come out sometime whatever they decide to release it.
Speaker 2: I am not one to get you to violate India's new I don't.
Speaker 1: Want to get in the middle of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, all right, We're gonna do rapid Fire. You ready, let's go passing your seatbelts, coffee, your tea coffee.
Speaker 1: How do you take your coffee. Black Children or Yale Yale Team Dean Jess or Logan Dean Why I it's it's it's a it's a gut instinct thing where I'm just like I just like Dean. You know, it's none of my business. Richard or Emily, Oh, Richard.
Speaker 2: Again, none of my business? Favorite season?
Speaker 1: Oh one? The introduction to it All one is fantastic? Are you kidding? Wow? I am being very serious.
Speaker 2: One word to describe Gilmour Girls heart Mmmm, So'syne?
Speaker 1: What about you?
Speaker 3: Uh comfortable?
Speaker 2: Favorite character Henry Laura Lai answer, good answer, most iconic Gilmore Girls quote.
Speaker 1: I will say I I I rarely laugh out loud, but I did laugh out loud when Rory said I you know I love you? You did? I was like heart, that hit my heart. You know I don't do that a lot. Yeah. Luke's Diner or Friday night dinner. Oh Lukes. There you go.
Speaker 2: It says a lot about you like that. Ni Shan, you are amazing. Thank you for spending some time with us. We've heard your ass catching up. All the best to you and good luck on all your future projects and please please come back. All right, man, there's more to unearth here. Okay, thanks for coming on already, Shin, everybody. Let's give him a round of applause, all right, Bud, take care, all right, everybody, and also again follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.