Speaker 1: What's up, everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Bucco Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network. I'm noahile's joining me on today's show. It is Platinum Key aka Mark Josh Harrison is on vacation. How selfish of him become a family vacation in the summertime and enjoy his time.
Speaker 3: No, especially after he gave all of us fans like every single one of his summers before. Yeah, I guess he can take one or two.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also, you know, as a guy who literally bought this SEC Champions Women's Golf t shirt on his vacation where he just was Yeah, so Mark, I don't know what we would do if you went on vacation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll figure it out. Yeah, my laptop travels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're you're also your vacations are to this.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say it's the PNC Park. Yeah. I was just sitting there thinking today. I was like, it's been too long and it's been what like a week and a half for two or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, your airbnb is the Futon Yeah right behind you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty comfy, so hy ricommend. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So pretty simple show today, the Pirates.
Speaker 2: We're recording this Thursday evening after the Pirates just wrapped up a series victory over the Seattle Mariners. They improved to forty one and forty on the year, which marks the exact halfway mark of the twenty twenty sixth season.
Speaker 1: We did this at the end, I believe. Do we do this? Yeah, we did this at the end of the first quarter of the season.
Speaker 2: We're so we're gonna do our mid term report card for the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Speaker 1: I have the the.
Speaker 2: First quarter report card pulled up so we can compare and contrast our grades. But the way we're gonna do this first segment of the show, this opening segment we're gonna do starting pitching and bullpen. The second segment we'll do catcher, infield and outfield, and then the last segment will just be coaching and then our overall grade. So that's where we're at. Mark, We'll start off a starting pitcher. You tipped your hand to me before we started recording.
Speaker 3: The one grade you know, Yeah, so you have.
Speaker 1: The starting pitching in an A minus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think just with how good Brax and Ashcraft and Paul Skins have been It's really hard for me to go below in a just with the two of them included in this grade. Mitch Keller has been somewhat disappointing. I don't think we've seen the best of Mitch Keller so far. Bubba Chandler got off to a slow start and has started to really pick things up. Jared Jones we've only seen very small sample size of and Karmen Macginski looked good when he was in the rotation. So I think a minus is probably a little optimistic. I'm probably a little bit higher than you. But this is a team that this starting pitching staff is really making up for a lot of errors and made up for like a lot of deficits with this team as well. I'm trying to pull up here. I was gonna have their fangrafs there get Yeah. They have the third best or ninth best ERA in Major League Baseball right now, ninth best whip, giving up the least home runs and striking out the fifth most per nine, so top third of Major League Baseball for this rotation, and I think they there's a lot of room for improvement as well as we see Bubbla Chandler taking a step forward, as Jerry Jones gets back into the mix of things, as Paul Skins kind of reverts back to what he should be. I think right now he's getting a little unlucky with the results, but under the hood, everything looks great. So yeah, I'm pretty content with the starting pitching. I don't think that's been an issue for this team. So I went a minus.
Speaker 1: What about you, I'm a lot different than you.
Speaker 2: I gave him a B minus, and I'm grading them on I'm greeting the starting pitching harder than any other element of this team, just because I know it can be so much, right Yeah, Yeah, It's almost like the starting pitching is taking an AP class and I'm grading it there. Like I would say they have they they're like at an I'd give them like an eighty two percent on the season, which is like a B minus C plus. Maybe maybe a little higher, like an eighty three, but that's still that's like a B minus.
Speaker 1: And like they're they're.
Speaker 2: Definitely above average, and like they're they're an asset. Anything above a C plus I think is an asset to the team.
Speaker 1: They've been an asset. But aside from Braxton.
Speaker 2: I can't really pinpoint another starter that from Game one to Game eighty one has exceeded or even met.
Speaker 1: The expectations I've had.
Speaker 2: And now there's different reasons for all of these guys. Like Paul Schemes we've talked about on the show. I think he's just been the victim of some really bad fielding and that's kind of hindered his numbers a little bit. But he's also not going as deep into the games as I would like to see, which I think fielding again plays a part, yeah.
Speaker 1: But not all of it.
Speaker 2: Mitch Keller's had a bad year for Mitch Keller standard, especially in the front half of the year. Compared to how he normally pitches in the first half of a season, this has probably been one of his worst first half since he became this established top end of the rotation type pitcher. Derek Jones has been still a little too early to judge. I think there's been some good, there's been some bad. Carmen same thing, although I'm docking Carmen points because of you know, his antics. Yeah, Bubba Chandler wasn't good for a large majority of this first half, but it's hard not to feel encouraged with what he's done recently.
Speaker 1: So overall, people are.
Speaker 2: Gonna see the B minus if we make a graphic for this, and they're gonna be like.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's no again being hard on the Pirates.
Speaker 2: But I am hard on this part pitching staff because I know if it clicks and plays to the level that it can, it can be something similar to what the Seattle.
Speaker 1: Mariners had last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a really really lethal rotation one through five wherever if you fall in a series, these guys can change a game.
Speaker 1: They give you an advantage, and I.
Speaker 2: Feel like for the most part, the starting pitchings kept the Pirates in just about all of their games. I feel like there's so much more for them to achieve. I don't think they're a better rotation than they were last year overall, and last year, you know, and the goal was to be better. So that's why I give them a B minus. We'll move on now to the bullpen, and I'll keep this short. I'm giving them an F.
Speaker 1: Yep, the bullpen is a failing grade.
Speaker 2: They if the bullpen was just even, if the bullpen could get a C minus mark.
Speaker 1: This team would be This team would be where the Saint Louis Cardinals.
Speaker 3: Right easy they would be.
Speaker 1: They would be at the top of the wild Card.
Speaker 2: They would be six seven games over five hundred rather than one they would be looking into I just wrote a column saying they don't deserve to be buyers right now until more like this current group shows it's capable of being anything more than average. The Pirates have never been more than five games over five hundred, They've never fallen lower than two games under five hundred.
Speaker 1: They've just kind of hovered in that.
Speaker 2: Middle area, which is where they are now. And I think if the bullpen had just been even close to what we expected it to be, which wasn't even anything special. We just expected to be an average bullpen. If it was just an average bullpen, this would be a team that would be getting tons more attention right now. But the bullpen has held this team back. And unlike other areas of the team, you could point out the poor fielding right, but most of the guys who stink at fielding are also hitting the absoluteness bringing value.
Speaker 1: There's value right where.
Speaker 2: It's just like the bullpen is just not given you much, So I give it an f Do you have anything better.
Speaker 1: Than enough on this mark.
Speaker 3: I went D just because I'm me, but there's an argument for F. I will say, as frustrating as this bullpen has been, they're not the worst in baseball. They have the nineteenth worst year or nineteenth best era, twentieth with twentieth twenty fourth, walks per nine fifth, and k per nine. So it's been bad, and it's been bad at the worst times. But yeah, I think there's still room for them to get a worst grade. So that's why I kept it as a D because there's there's it's always room to go down.
Speaker 2: But I see where you're You're looking more like metrics and I when I would do my report cards when I was on the beat, that's how I would do.
Speaker 1: I'd pull up fangrafts and compare and contract.
Speaker 2: But I'm more I'm more grading this on the expectations for this team and.
Speaker 3: The assignment that they had, and.
Speaker 2: It's like the starting pitching has been good, but I know it can be better. The bullpen is the bullpen has objectively failed this absolutely.
Speaker 1: You're eighty one games.
Speaker 2: So to compare in the first quarter, I had the starting pitching at an A minus, as did Mark Mark kept that great. I pushed it down to a B minus at the midturn grade, and then my bullpen grade was a C plus. Marx was a B minus. So Mark dropped down to a D. I dropped down to an F. Josh had an A and C for the starting pitching in bullpen. So we're gonna take a quick break when we come back. Catchers infield and outfield. Here on Bucko Territory.
Speaker 5: A c Geek is MLB's official ticket marketplace, and in addition to finding every single game on the MLB calendar, there are big events coming up very soon.
Speaker 6: There's an All Star game. There's a home run derby. And if you think you're perfect and you can pick the right seat at the home run derby to get the most home run balls, you can get the little green dot and that might be your lucky seat. Don't go red dot, though, because you might not get any balls. But go redgreen dot and get as many home run balls as you think you can catch.
Speaker 1: Yep, you click the seat, you check out what your view is.
Speaker 5: Each ticket's rated on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal. And that's what AJ's talking about. Green, Good, Red Bad with those dots and the code for you tear Ratory one zero for ten percent off your next set of tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description of this episode that'll help you download the app and get the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later.
Speaker 1: Thank you to ze Geek.
Speaker 2: All Right, picking back up mid term grades for the Pirates, we start with the catcher position now in the second segment.
Speaker 1: Mark, I'll let you go first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is one of the hardest ones for me to assess, because I feel like it's changed pretty recently. I think if you have asked just a few weeks ago what the grade would be for Catcher, my grade would be a lot worse than it is now. I went C minus for Catchers, Okay, solely because I've so so encouraged with what Endy Rodriguez has been doing. He's up to zero point seven f wour on this season right now. That's pretty impressive. Obviously. Henry Davis, we just talked in detail about how his struggles have been super frustrating and detrimental. And obviously Joey Bart just got traded for a guy that was dfaide. So outside of Ndy, things are really, really, really bad. And I get that. But if any Rodriguez can step up and continue to call games like he did on Wednesday night where we saw Brax and Ashcraft and Karmen Majinski throw the highest strike percentage of any Pirates game since they tracked it starting I think two thousand, so the highest strike percentage of any game in the last twenty seven years. With Any Rodriguez calling the game, Pirates saying throw a ball at all, like he looks like he can be the starting catcher on this team. I think there's you can still improve that. But yeah, I'm really encourag by end, and that's why I went all the way up to a C minus. What about you, I know you're gonna probably not yeah, I mean, I mean.
Speaker 1: You also saw Henry Davis get two hits today and you're.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, yeah, Homer, yeah, a nice little double.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna I gave him a D in the first quarter.
Speaker 1: I'll stay with the D.
Speaker 2: I was tempted to go F but they haven't been as bad as the bullpen. I mean, Henry Davis has been bad and Rodriguez has been good. We've just seen less of ending, right, and Joey Bart was replacement level, I.
Speaker 1: Guess while he was here.
Speaker 2: It's not like I had high expectations for this group, but like, it's just Henry Davis has just not been even close to good enough.
Speaker 3: Our expectations were low. And yeah, I still haven't gotten.
Speaker 2: There and so right, so and and he's been fine, and he's been good at certain points, but overall, I mean, this is a this is.
Speaker 1: A well below average catch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so that's why I stick with the D grade. I won't go any lower that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a reason why two of our trade targets in the our episode previously were catchers. Cuz, yeah, this this position group needs some help.
Speaker 1: Infield. I'll start off here, mister tough grader. I'm giving the infield in a I.
Speaker 3: Was curious about this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I don't have a lot of bad things to say.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: There have been some bad defensive plays, like Spencer's made some bad plays, Knicks made some bad plays. Connor made one really bad play the one time when he like spiked the ball, but like that was just one, one literal mistake overall, man, and like Triolo has been kind of I mean.
Speaker 1: Not kind of.
Speaker 2: He's been a week back, but like, I don't know how much more you could have hoped to get from this group. Low is the best offensive second basement in the National Spencer Horowitz is one of the best leadoff hitters in baseball right now. Connor Griffin, before he got injured, was way better than I anticipated him being and I thought he would be good. But the month of May, like, yeah, he's he's play yeah, yeah, Like he's gonna have like a three to four Warst season this year if he can come back and stay healthy. And then Nick Gonzalez, Man, I mean, he hasn't been amazing, but he hasn't been a total liability.
Speaker 1: Like I was super concerned about third.
Speaker 2: Base, and I mean Nick York started it off well and then Nick Gonzalez earned that spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he took it from Triolo and York and he's been good.
Speaker 2: And they've got good contributions from like some bench guys too, like Callahan as like a rotating piece. Has been a nice little bump over the last couple of weeks overall. Yeah, I can't remember a Pirates in field being this productive.
Speaker 1: In a long time. Really. I mean, you'd have to go back to when Josh.
Speaker 2: Was playing, when they had you know, him and David Freeze and Jordi Mercer and you know, or even the teams before that when they were like a playoff team. Yeah, I mean, they have three guys who are gonna be like four war players in this infield.
Speaker 1: I again, like we.
Speaker 2: Could go back and look, but it would be my guess at least a decade since that's been the reality year in Pittsburgh where.
Speaker 1: Three of your starting four infielders are four win players.
Speaker 3: I mean first base alone, you look at that and that's just such a massive, massive improvement from the past few years.
Speaker 1: So yeah, in second base too, I mean, loo, I don't know, I mean.
Speaker 2: Lao's probably not gonna be here for more than this season, but like that, that's one of the best trades the Pirates.
Speaker 3: Have made, and such a perfect fault.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been excellent, and he's been even better defensively than I anticipated. Connor with the extension, with everything, you've just you feel good when you look at that infield, there have been very few times where you're just like, who are they playing? Yeah, and that's been the case for Pirates infield for a very long time. So I yeah, I have no complaints, Mark, do you have anything different to add?
Speaker 3: I kind of do. Actually I went lower. I went an yeah, solely because I think the defense has been a little disappointing. Obviously that's gonna change with counter coming back, because I just Triolo at shortstep is just mhm. And I think Nick and Zalez has made a couple of throws that have just really cost this team. But outside of that, I mean it's been yeah, so so so good.
Speaker 2: They're opposed to the next group, who I would argue is probably even better offensively. Yeah, Like the hitting production from the infield is here, and their defensive ineptitude is here right whereas the outfield it's a little bit more even probably not even that close, but you know what I'm saying, where it's like they're pros so heavily outweigh their consent.
Speaker 1: And I also expected this to be a poorly fielding right right infield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I thought their defense was going to suck, and it's it's hard for me to dock them a ton with Triolo at shortstop because he's not a shortstop.
Speaker 1: And we kind of knew this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I you know, sometimes when you're starting shortstop gets hurt, you have to play someone out of position for the time being. And but yeah, overall eighty one games in, I could not imagine this infield being realistically much better than what it has been.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we'll move on now to the outfield. That's crazy. I have a higher grade than I know for context infield grades. I had them at a B plus in the first quarter. Mark had them at a minus. So all right, I'm gonna go with the outfield now, I'll start us off again.
Speaker 1: I'll go with a B. Yeah, I think, I mean.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's tough to great, but I mean I will say their outfield defense hasn't been horror in the last month.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but I.
Speaker 2: Mean Brian Reynolds takes this group to a higher letter grade.
Speaker 1: Man, I mean, he's been good.
Speaker 2: O'hearne is looks like a Russell Martin esque signing. O'Neil Cruz was playing fantastic and mangum Mangham is a flawed player in some areas. I wish you'd have a little bit more patience than his approach at the plate. Sometimes I think he over hustles and creates problems, but overall he's a good fourth outfielder on a team, and when a guy goes down like Cruse, you feel fine with Jake Mancum being your center fielder for an extended stretch and a guy who the team he helps the team win games. So yeah, I'll go with the outfield as a B mark I I I think again in comparison to prior groups, and even as far as expectations, I was concerned with how Loo and Reynolds would perform offensively, not Low and Reynolds. Oh Her and Reynolds perform offensively with the demand of being an everyday outfielder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 1: Think both of them have been really good.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I'm still stuck out there, but they're killing the base fall.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. I went as for the outfield because I again I recognize the defensive woes, but we've seen a vast improvement, especially with Jake Mangham getting more playing time. Yeah. I think that's helped both Oharan and Reynolds as well, just because Mangham can cover up a little bit more of what they're not great at with their corner defense. And yeah, I just Brian Reynolds is having just a fantastic season. I think it's up to like three point zero U. I think it's f war already. And just that's crazy. Eighty one games through the year, he's played every single game. Yes, I don't think he started every single game, but he's played in every single game. Ryan O'Hearn just perfect fit. And then yeah, Cruz, before he got hurt, he was really taking a step forward on pace for thirty thirty obviously has the strikeout issues are still like an issue for him, and the defenses was getting better, i'd like to say before he got hurt. So yeah, I think this outfield group has kind of exceeded my expectations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'll even add in I like the supplemental help, not that anyone is, Like I mean, Callahan has been getting a lot of run in the outfield, and he's been, like we said, he's been a good little joelt.
Speaker 1: But even the fact that they were able.
Speaker 2: To bring up Garcia and Valdez and in past Pirates teams, like when those guys are coming up, it's like good luck.
Speaker 1: We need you to bat like fifth and right. Yeah, like the weight of the world's on your shoulders.
Speaker 2: They've allowed them to come up and fail, and they've had good moments, like Garcia has had a couple of good games, Valdez had like, yeah, some really good moments as well. But they've got their toes wet. They're both gonna be guys who play an impact on this team and years down the road. And this has been good for them too, that they have this outfield depth where they can get by without I mean, and we said Cruise got hurt, Mangum I believe was hurt at some point this year, and O'Hearn was hurt, and the outfield for the most part has.
Speaker 1: Been a net positive. So yeah, I'll go with a B. I think I had them at a B minus mark you had.
Speaker 2: Them at a B plus in our first quarter grades. So we're gonna take another quick break when we come back. D H grade coaching grade overall grade Here on Bucko Territory.
Speaker 7: This episode is brought to you by Fan Duel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash Podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: All right, we picked back up with the DH grade. It's easy.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's an f and I don't want to spend too much time on this because we've talked about Marcelo Zuna probably more than any other player on the show.
Speaker 1: But like you just go back and look at it. And it's like that acquisition.
Speaker 2: Screwed up so much, so much, because if you spend that twelve million dollars on the bullpen, on another left side infielder, on another outfielder, I'm literally not.
Speaker 3: A start literally anything.
Speaker 2: Else, literally anything else, even a better DH who can like occasionally play in the field, they're a better team. Like, yeah, no, I wouldn't work either, but but I'm just thinking out loud here, like it's just like like the bullpen just hasn't performed.
Speaker 1: Ozuna has just brought them down.
Speaker 2: He's like an anchor. He weighs them down. He just makes them worse. And they're just kind of stuck with this now. And I hate to like hone in on this and hammer this home. But again, we're halfway through the season and he's just been one of the worst players in baseball from the very start.
Speaker 1: He didn't know he didn't look good in spring. For all the other good.
Speaker 2: Moves they made, he almost like kind of undid the momentum of some of them just by being this dad. And it's just funny because I was like, Okay, well, if we're grading the DH spot, could I give it a better grade than a failing grade because you know how other people prefer. Reality is literally every other person you put at DH has just been better than Ozuna. It could be Cruised, it could be Reynolds, it could be O'Hearn, Connor Griffin.
Speaker 1: Those two games like loo like, And that's.
Speaker 2: Where it's I'm encouraged because if they eventually do cut dait with this guy, that's such an opportunity where if they if they get in a place where they can make a big addition, you.
Speaker 1: Have that revolving D.
Speaker 2: I would love to see this team with a revolving DH position where they could add another position player and get really creative with their lineup.
Speaker 3: Because if it's this roster, Yeah, did you give I went? I went D minus solely because they've stopped playing Ozuna so much and other people are playing so I felt like I needed to recognize that. Yeah, I know, I got your logic.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, because it's like, okay, well you should have been doing this all year, right, Yeah, so exactly, this is the hardest one to grew coaching, Mark, I'll let you.
Speaker 3: Start, all right. I give Don Well all encompassing for coaching, So I would give Don Kelly a B. But I think this whole staff I would give probably like a B minus C plus right around there, because obviously Bill Murphy has been The results for Bill Murphy's staff, I should say, have not been good, and when the staff was so good last year and wanted to improve and take a step forward, that's been extremely disappointing. I think Don Kelly has done a great job with this clubhouse, the cohesion. I think that these guys really seem like their teammates and believe in each other and want each other to succeed and are better with each other around. Rather than just a bunch of twenty six individual ballplayers all trying to improve their career. There, it feels like they're trying to win for the team, most of them at least, And so I think Don Kelly is done a fantastic job of getting those guys to buy in, believe in themselves, believe in this franchise. He's way easier said than done. So perhaps to Don Kelly, he just got as one hundred win as if we're recording this, so yeah, But outside of that, I think like third base coach, first base coach, no issues. But yeah, I think just the pitching coach has been the big biggest concern. I think Matt hag you could probably say it's been pretty good. Yeah. I think it's hard to judge because like you're seeing Lao and O'Hearn and Reynold. It's all these like established veterans. It's exactly who I was going to. It's I think Spencer Horwartz is someone that Matt Hay can really say I helped with that a little bit, but I helped, and so I think that's good. How'd you grade the coaching staff?
Speaker 1: I gave it a C. I think it's been average. I'll start with Don Kelly first. Six.
Speaker 2: First, what a lot of people who like aren't around the team, Like I've had obviously.
Speaker 1: Very good access to the Pirates.
Speaker 2: And I talked to people who are in the front office, who work for the team, who are around the team, who are on the team, and you get a really good idea of how things work day to day there. This is not an easy organization to be the manager for. You got to deal with a lot of headaches that you probably don't have to deal with and other franchises, that's just the reality of a lot of small market teams, but especially a small market team where they don't have a winning culture, they don't have a lot of success, and yeah, like they're they're more known for their ineptitude than anything else. Yeah, and so I give Don Kelly a lot of credit for handling the things that don't get out there, things that you know, rumors that I hear and I'm like, it's not enough for me to report, but just you just hear stories, You hear things, and it's like and some of it's not even worth reporting, but it's just small little things where it's like, you know, you might think your boss is an idiot or isn't doing good enough, but then like you really sit down and you see what your boss goes.
Speaker 1: Through every day, and you're like, you know what, I can understand why.
Speaker 2: He goes about certain things this way because there's a lot going going on behind the scenes and it's and I'm not suggesting it's like dysfunctional or there's drama or anything. There's just a lot of moving pieces and it's yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's it's it's just, uh, you know, the.
Speaker 2: Pirates aren't always organized as a franchise. The messaging isn't always on the same page. Don Kelly has to kind of consider a multitude of factors every time he makes a decision when it comes to building a lineup, when it comes to who he plays, all that kind of stuff, and I think, considering all the hoops that he has to jump through, I admire the way he's gone about that.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of respect for that, and I think the players do too.
Speaker 2: And he's made every decision I think, with the players in mind, keeping that cohesion, keeping everyone in lockstep in that clubhouse, And as someone who was around last year's clubhouse where it was one of the worst team cultures I've ever been around, from Little league all the way up to professional sports, just to see that change overnight. And obviously that comes players and credibility and winning. But Don Kelly sets that tone and I give him credit there. As far as his in game management, yeah, it hasn't been amazing. I do think there are a lot of times where I agree with some of the decisions Don Kelly makes and they just immediately backfire. Like the other day, I had no issue with him keeping Mitch Keller in that game. And then, for of all people, Cole freaking young Ka he grew up in Western.
Speaker 1: Kids.
Speaker 2: Seriously, I mean between Weatherholt, him Ian half like it's like Don Kelly And the funny.
Speaker 4: Part is knows all of these dudes because they all grew up in Western Pa and they just are cruising him. But like, yeah, it's the Mitch Keller thing there.
Speaker 2: And again there have been some decisions that I disagree with and in real.
Speaker 1: Time I'm like, why are you doing this? Uh?
Speaker 2: But there are a lot of times where I'm like, you know what, that is probably what I would have done too, considering all factors at hand, and boyded it just not where avoided it immediately blow up in his face, and you can call that bad management. I think it's just more like, hey man, this is the choice I've got. Yeah, that's baseball, right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Kelly. I that's my thoughts on him.
Speaker 2: Haig good, Murphy bad. I mean, at least for now anyway. And then overall, yeah, I just think it's an average staff. I don't think My big takeaway on this coaching staff is I don't think it's made the team any better overall. As a net, I don't think it's made much better. I also don't think it's holding the team that like there are a lot of people who believe, oh, if you fire Don Kelly, this, it's like, no, I don't. I don't think so like I think like, I don't think like. It's it's a replacement level coaching staff right now.
Speaker 1: Could it be better? Yes? Could it be a lot worse?
Speaker 2: I think so too so, And ultimately, if you have a replacement level coaching staff and good players, you should have a decent team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's my view. So that's my great. See did you give yours yet?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I said, be minus. Yeah, yeah, but no, you're good. You're good.
Speaker 1: Been a long day.
Speaker 2: And then overall, Mark, as we wrap it up, overall great. On the Pittsburgh Pirates, what are you grading them through eighty one games.
Speaker 3: I'm going the same I gave Don Kelly and the coaching staff B minus. I think they're slightly above average this year for how well they performed. But like we said earlier, this bullpen has cost at least probably like five or six games where I think those shift in their favor that great gets bumped up quite a bit. But for how close this team has to play with the margins with this wild card race, it's just been a hair disappointing at times, overall good. I mean they have a winning record halfway through the season. That that's it feels fun to say as a Pirates fan. Yeah, at the same time, we expected that from this team. I think we, I personally expected just a little bit more. I think they're basically on pace for your prediction of like eighty two and eighty or whatever, and so yeah, I mean, overall, slightly above average, but I think that there was so much meat left on the bone still with this team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I give a C plus. I mean I wrote it the other day. It's they're the definition of mediocre.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Overall, Like you look at my report card, I have you know, a couple of b's, an a couple of f's, and then some c's, Like I think it averages out to just being like a C. And that's I mean, they're forty one and forty and so you now, if you're grading it compared to last year's team, it's in.
Speaker 1: A yeah, they're so much better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm grading it compared to what they're trying to do, which has reached the playoffs. And while they've been better and they're still in the mix. The reality is the National League really good this year, and being a little better than average just isn't good enough. Like I do think that this team's potential and overall body of work is probably better than a forty one and forty record. Yeah, but the reality is you are what your record is, and they are one game over five hundred right now. If they get healthy and get better, that's great. If they make additions at the deadline, that's great. But this is the Pirates we're talking about. Nothing is guaranteed. Health is not guaranteed. They just lost Spencer Horowitz. We don't know even if you buy at the deadline. The last time this team bought it the deadline.
Speaker 1: It couldn't have gone worse.
Speaker 2: Like with the transactions, with the results that immediately.
Speaker 1: Followed, all of it went horribly.
Speaker 2: So it's not just to assume, oh, they're gonna make a trade and it'll take it to the next level. Who's to say this trade's gonna work right if whenever it does come So I just think, yeah, it's an average team right now, one that does certain things well, one that certain things they struggle with.
Speaker 1: So I give it a C plus with the potential of being a.
Speaker 3: B team, and I think that's a great grade for the Pirates to be for them with down counter Griffin down on Cruz. You know, we've had injuries to We've mentioned a couple of people already this year, and that's part of the game. But when you're still in the thick of things with two of your best players down, I'm I'm encouraged by how the first half has gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am too. I just think, uh yeah, I think if you would have.
Speaker 2: Asked a lot of Pirates fans, if you would have won it to him and said, hey, here's how Reynolds is playing, Here's how Cruz played, Here's how Lao was performing in O'Hearn, Here's what the record is halfway through the season.
Speaker 1: Here's where you are in the standings.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people would have taken it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, And honestly, it's like you mentioned, Mark, this is pretty much exactly how I envisioned this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're just a little bit better than average.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to remind everyone to hit that subscribe button if they haven't already. We're on a mission to three thousand subs. Can't get there without your help. We appreciate everyone's support, and if you want to support the show even further ahead to the Bucko Territory team story, we can get all of your Bucko Territory murk. You've got T shirts, hoodies, jim bags, coffee mugs, bucket hats, and everything else you can think.
Speaker 1: Of, uh to support the show, support the.
Speaker 2: Pirates mark any final thoughts as we wrap up another week here on Bucket Territory.
Speaker 3: So excited to get Connor Griffin back from injury. He was back in Pittsburgh on Thursday, had his rehab start in Altoona Wednesday, hit a home run triple h. Yeah. I'm just I'm so ready to see him back. I've really missed watching him play. This team is just so much more fun to watch when when he's out there. So I can't wait. What about you?
Speaker 1: It'll be fun. Do I have any parting thoughts? No, not really. Hope Josh is having fun on vacation exactly. We all are enjoying the show. I'll just say this.
Speaker 2: We are entering a very fun time in the baseball calendar.
Speaker 1: July is he coming? Where? You have the draft coming up?
Speaker 2: We have the All Star break, we have the trade deadline.
Speaker 1: This is real and the Pirates are a part of it. They're in there apart they're in it.
Speaker 2: They're probably not as in it as they should be, but they're in it. And honestly, I think again every fan for this team would have signed up for this at the beginning of the year. This is Things could be so much worse and it really fun. Stretch ahead over the next two three months to see how everything unfolds in the next eighty one games, and we'll be there to document it all.
Speaker 1: He's Platinum Key aka Mark.
Speaker 2: I'm Noah Hayle, signing off saying thanks for tuning in to another episode of Bucko Territory, presented to you by the foul tare Time R Network.
Speaker 1: Take care