Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Muslims have sometimes, whether you have or not, and I think probably you have have sometimes it seemed to me been preaching hate to meet hate. I don't advocate any kind of hate.
Speaker 4: A lot of talk that sounds very much like it.
Speaker 3: No, I think that the guilt complex of the American white man is so profound until when you begin to analyze the real condition of the black man in America. Instead of the American white man eliminating the causes that create that condition, he tries to cover it up by accusing his accusers of teaching hate, but actually they're just exposing him for being responsible for what exists.
Speaker 1: Welcome home, y'all, Welcome home. This is episode seventy one of Native Land Pod. That was, of course the Good Brother Malcolm X. He was in a conversation in an interview with a graduate student, a sociology graduate student, Herman Blake, and Professor John Leggett. So we got a lot to get to today, and we want to get right into it. We don't want to keep you waiting On our pre production call, we were talking about what we want to talk about today, and Angela, I think you had a really good topic.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you, tiv. I think what is really important given where we are in this country right now, we're hearing people all over the country talking about wanting to see a fight from their elected officials, and they're like, what is holding y'all back? We have a secret for y'all. It's called special interest. We're going to talk a little bit about special interest the outside role they play in our political process. And Andrew might have a story or two to tell himself.
Speaker 4: Ad what you got, good friend? There are stories, There are many. I appreciate this question because I think this is the part of politics that is the subtext, the underspoken, never spoken, probably never seen part that is the heavyweight in the room, to be quite frankly, and I'll talk to you about what it looks like at the I.
Speaker 1: Love the idea of talking about special interests because there are also geopolitical special interests that we're seeing play out and have a direct impact on our domestic policy here in America. So I definitely want to get into that. So the whole show, we're talking about special interest and I just want to remind folks we too have our own special interests and we'll get into that in the conversation too. So let's get into it. Let's kick us out. So I think we have a question from a viewer that can speak, can help us get into this conversation. Let's hear from the viewer.
Speaker 6: High Native lampod Hi, Andrew, Hi, Tiffany, Hi, Angela. I love you guys, Thank you all so much. I just have one question. What is the goal of Project twenty twenty five. What are they wanting this country to look like? I've read the book nineteen eighty four by George Orwell and is the cistopian America? Was like, that's where they're going. But what are we suffering through? They want us to suffer. They want us to you know, ride this wave, but they're firing, you know, a million federal workers. They are pulling back regulations, they're defunding and canceling, you know, the education. And it's like, what is this country supposed to look like when you're all done? And said, you know, the rich get richer and the poor get poor, But like, what is this world? What are we supposed to look like, what are we supposed to do? But thank you all for all that you do. Love you bye.
Speaker 1: I love that. Make fiction again. That is the mantra. Honestly, that's so many of us. Yeah, yeah, it is. It's really it's it's scary to see what happened. And I love this question speaking of special interest because I think that is the special interest that had such a huge impact on the campaign is having a huge impact on the country. I got to say to me, the goal of Project twenty twenty five is Black folks. I think we are at the center of all of this policy, of all of this hatred.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: A concentrated effort.
Speaker 5: I was like, wait a minute, what, it's.
Speaker 1: A concentrated effort to oppress and suppress. Yes, And it is making me revisit the entire conversation that can we even coexist here? I was recently having this conversation about you know, when President Abraham Lincoln said we like we should get rid of the black folks, like we cannot coexist with them. And I have to say, I think he may have had a point because he essentially said, they will never forgive us for enslaving them, and white people will never want the stain of slavery around them, So let's give them some money and ship them out of America. And you look at us hundreds of years later, and I do I think it is always it's been a bitter battle in this country because we are the keepers of America's memory, and so this anti black discrimination has a wide impact and cast a dark shadow across so many areas of our politics. And they were able to convince other people to hate black folks too. And there were certain people who are now considered white, but they didn't have white folk. The Italians weren't considered white for a while, and then they got white privilege. And the way you the fastest way to get that is to hop one hat and black folks. So I think we are at the center of all of this discord, to be honest with you.
Speaker 5: You know, when I heard this question, one, thank you for the brilliant question. We do love you too. We started the show with Malcolm X, you know, a prophet in his own time, talking about that they will change the what is happening to say that the people who are the recorders and documentaris of accurate history are not ahistorical, are not real vision is his history. Tellers will be made to seem like they are the actual haters. And I think that accountability is not hate, even though it's uncomfortable. And you know, when I think about the question, because we did a whole podcast on Project twenty twenty five, what is it? What is its origins? Thank you to all of you who've watched it. It's one of our biggest shows. Please visit it again, Please visit it especially for the underpinnings of Project twenty twenty five to the point of the question. But I think the fundamental question here is what do they want the country to look like? You know what does the country they imagine include us? Does it include brown people, does it include the actual founders of this space, people from Indian country? Or does it exclude everyone because they think white is right? You know, do they think that make America great again? I remember they did this poll around the twenty sixteen election about what was the era? Right then? You want to get back to that demonstrates when America was at its greatest, and these my mothers went into the fifties. Yeah, you know, they went to the pre civil rights era. And what I got to tell you guys, and I don't want to disrespect our predecessors at all, but I think that we almost in nineteen fifty. Right now, in twenty twenty five, it feels like they rolled back all of these rights. I'm not going to say his name, but I had a really interesting conversation with a thought leader among us right now who said, you know what I think we have to pay attention to is we spent all this time focusing on civil rights advancements, our voting rights, affordable housing, fair housing, access, equal opportunity, and employment and education. And they were able to roll that back in less than two months. So if we were to examine where we put our focus to the same point that Congressman wrangel raised upon his retirement from Congress and a CBC meeting, he said, have we spent too much time focusing on social policy and not none enough on economic policy? The reason they are able to advance in these ways at our expense is because they can afford it.
Speaker 1: Andrew I Angela raised a really good questions, your thoughts, have we spent too much time advancing social policy and not economic That was mister Rangles, That's.
Speaker 5: What he was. It was a conundrum you could see the pain on his face. Like and mister Rangel and I didn't agree on every single thing, but he's a CBC founder. He was a part of the group that sent the sixty one recommendations to Richard Nixon. Most of them, not all of them, but most of them focus on social policy. Even the way that we approached housing access was about what was fair and just and not about giving us the resources to afford to be where they are or even to be where we are.
Speaker 4: It's because it didn't matter how much, but it didn't matter how much.
Speaker 5: But that's the thing, and right now it doesn't matter how much because they are able to lock us out all of all of all of our progress. And it's a damn shame. You know. I'm not and that's gonna say. I'm not trying to disrespect our forebeers, but I do think we got to wrestle with this because as we prepare for a fight, and as we lean into what it means to persist, resist and oppose, what is the right lane. Do we go right back to protecting voting rights and civil rights and all this, or do we go into fighting for our own space, our own dollars, our own access, our own communities, so they can't take it away.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I don't. I want to hear from you, Andrew. I just as I talked to you, I want to say we did that. So we when we carved out a little tiny space for ourselves in the Green District of Pulse, they weren't bothering anybody. These are people who were just living their life, and they found it and killed us. The US government they bombed the shit out of us. You know, they came in and murdered men, women, children. It was state sanctioned murders. And so there is something in the right that was not the anomaly, that was the norm, because years prior to that, the Red Summer of nineteen nineteen, it was rampant violence across this country aimed at black people, black communities. So, Andrew, I don't know that. I don't know that it can be one or the other, or should we be fighting for both, or does this even system of capitalism ever serve us?
Speaker 4: I mean, I so do respect to the Congressman. I actually don't believe that the fight has been social exclusive. I actually think the values that brought us to the fight may feel social racial and gender parody, so that we can compete, but compete for what, to compete for jobs, to compete for schools that would educate our children and make them qualify for the positions that paid higher wages. We fought for fair housing so that when folks went out and worked a full time plus days of work, that they could then invest in this economy by affording to live where it is that they work. When our four parents fought for much of the social safety net, I would argue, practically all of it is economic in nature. So I actually, I actually believe that while our fight has been informed by our consciousness around fairness and ending discrimination, it has all been toward the end goal of being able to earn a wage that you can live on, take care of yourself and your family, and have a vacation every once in a while. So that's just my slight exception, and folks may land on different sides of that. And then to the question around Project twenty twenty five, I'll say two things. One, I think part of its goal was to turn what we right now associate as a democracy with three branches of government helmed by an executive branch. They would like to create what they discussed as the administrative They want to get rid of what they call the administrative state, which is all these agencies running things, and they want to create the unitary executive, all powerful, all being exempt from criminal prosecutions, who can make decisions unilaterally, to shut departments, to decide whether to enforce laws, so on and so forth. So they argue a very different picture of what democracy looks like than I think how most of us conceive of it. But I would argue that their belief is probably closer to where the Framers were. Remember, the Framers didn't give everybody the right to vote, not even all white people. It gave all white property owning men the right to vote. They did not believe largely in direct democracy in the sense that you vote for the person, and whoever votes the most of that person wins. No, they thought that the emotions of the people, the emotions of the general public, needed to be muted, or at least the edge taken off by a more sophisticated, smarter, intelligent, a richer group of white men who could then calm the passions of the people. So they have today. This is wild, but that's because that's exactly what they believe in. It's been it's been the belief since the very beginning. And then the second part of the response on present between twenty five is to say they hold I think I think your point Tiffany was right that black people, but I would argue that it's been black people, uh and eliminating us as as a productive part of this society by virtue of what conditions exist that allow our uplift in the first place? What do I mean? I believe that they are intent on destroying the entirety of the social safety net, social security. They were not for it when it was proposed. It happened because there was a Democratic president and a super majority Democratic Senate. When we think about retirement benefits, they don't support that. When we think about medicaid, medicare they believe in this mythology of the survival of the fittest that whoever survives were the ones who were fit and meant to survive. Donald Trump told us that in the first administration, he said, the people who are affected mostly by COVID are folks who are already sick, are older, or are the black people. They said that he said it from a white House, right. So I think where they want to go is back to a time where if you had means and wealth, name and privilege, this country was for you. And anyone who didn't have that in their possession, you fail by the wayside. Oh you can't afford retirement, find you sleep on the streets. Oh you can't afford to get health care? Then and die. I don't mean, I mean, I don't mean to be dismissive in anyway or cute by one half. This is their vision of the country, and through Project twenty twenty five and then dismantling of all of this, they are well on their way to trying to achieve the kind of country that they that they that they believe should have existed in the first world.
Speaker 1: That gets to that this question of special interest though. You know, Angela, you were looking into special interests when it comes to members of Congress, and I to Andrew's point, that is something that is not talked about. I keep saying it every podcast. I'm not going to stop this podcast. It is such a gross failure of American media and journalism that we don't talk more about that and highlight who is funding some of these members. Because Project twenty twenty five was funded. You know, it came out of the Heritage Foundation, but there are people funding it. This presidency is funded by a sole immigrant, for the record, not an American citizen who bought the presidency for this man. He's funding, you know, a lot of pieces he's defunded the government while funding his own special projects through the government. And members of Congress are right and the government funding him, and members of Congress are standing by watching this happen amidst you know, some of these angry town halls. Why on earth would that be? And as you talk to US Angela, I think it's also important to explain the laws around it because this was a big part of Citizens United. There used to be caps on how much you could contribute to a member of Congress and individually what I think it's twenty five hundred? Do I have that wrong?
Speaker 5: Per yes? But but it's a five would you say no?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: The numbers may change, but you're right, there is a cat As.
Speaker 1: An individual, I can only give five thousand total to any candidate.
Speaker 5: There's a thing.
Speaker 7: Per ye, yes, per cycle for a primary and primary if you know what, let me look because I'm trying I was trying to look up something I don't I actually don't want to go down this road because I have like a lot on the special, but I want to.
Speaker 5: Let mean, since it was brought up, I'm going to get the facts right. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I want five thousand for a pack and it's different for individual. I've bring that up. Yeah, but what's the individual federal contract and contributed contriversial limit, federal.
Speaker 7: Contract primaria and in general?
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, so producer visual and a pack can do five thousand in the primary and five thousand and in general for a total of ten. Course that's different. That's an independent expenditure which brings us back to Citizens United carry out.
Speaker 1: Yes, so super paid. I don't know if you all could hear our producer Lolo off camera was given us some good info. Thirty three hundred for an individual during a cycle, five thousand for a political action committee and when you know the Citizens United are ruling. I mean, it essentially changed campaign financing and that is a huge challenge in this country. That is a debate for another time. But I wanted to introduced that so we could understand why some of these people while you have private interests controlling how our government functions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, y'all will continue the conversation about special interests. Stay tuned to see who else is so specially interested. We'll be back after the breakdown.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to take a minute to look up some of this, and so I want to use this as a backdrop. This conversation for us came up today because we were talking about the continuing resolution last week. You all know I did a mini pod yesterday talking about Schumer gotta go and laying out the reasons why I think we get to a place in our body politics, tiff and Andrew, where you literally can no longer hear the voices of the people. It is drowned out by the size of the contributions of your biggest donors. They have direct access to you and your cell phone number. They have your personal email address and at ben Yo family's house for a barbecue. Your constituents have never had that access to you or that point of privilege. These are the kinds of things that make people completely jaded, eyes glaze over. Me would bring up politics, It's like this is never going to be a level playing field. Why should we even get involved? I actually get that. And I can say, as a former staffer who has set up fundraisers for my bosses, who had to ensure that we were talking to donors, there's a cooling off period between when somebody can write a check and when they can ask for something from a member of Congress. But nevertheless they can still ask, and of course constituents can too, but I can tell you from firsthand experience, it is a different experience with the donor. It just is. Now. I think what is potentially are particularly troubling to me from last week, as we know in the Senate there were ten Democrats who voted with Chuck or tintotal voting with the Republicans, including Chuck Schumer who's the centimonority leader, on this bill to keep the government open. And we talked to government employees. They did not want the government to stay open because we've all been arguing the government's been shut down. They are abusing their power and waste, broad abuses running rampant. Why are we even doing this well special interests. So this is what I was able to attain. I want to shout out our producer Lolo, who sent this over to me, but I just want to run through some of these really quick, and all of them aren't bad, but I think it's important. Here are the top donors from the folks who voted in favor of the continuing Resolution last week. Despite what the people said, which was overwhelming, we do vote against this thing, so Senator Jean Shaheen, who is not running again. The largest donor was Emily's list at one hundred and fifty nine thousand dollars. That's New Hampshire, Yes, New Hampshire. Brian Shatts of Hawaii Charter Communications. Senator Gary Peters of Michigan University of Michigan, which I find fascinating his four hundred five hundred thousand dollars, and I still think this might be LOLO over the course of five years. But nevertheless, it's important to understand. Senator Angus King, biggest donor American Israeli Public Affairs Committee. That's a PAC independent he is, but he caucuses with the dooms. Senator Maggie Hassen Emily's list. Senator Dick Durbin Power Rogers LLP, which I assume is a law firm in Illinois. Senator Catherine Cortez Vasto Emily's list, Senator Kirsten Jillibrand Apak Senator Chuck Schumer Blackstone Group. Now, I went to Chuck Schumer last week because I was like, no, why what the Blackstone Group care about a shutdown? I'm so glad you asked. Let me tell you why. So. Blackstone Group is an asset management company that is also an investment firm. I fill up this fortune piece. I'm being accountable to our resident journalist, Tiffany d. Cross. The title of this piece is Blackstone's seventeen billion dollar property lending arm isn't giving up on its office bets. What happened last Monday, y'all? Somebody tell me what happened last Monday. I'm so glad you asked. Beteral workers had to go back to work, which means they are in an actual office building. When we're talking about one of their biggest assets at Blackstone. We're talking about office buildings. Guess would have been mostly vacant since twenty twenty. Office buildings. So they're hedging their bets on people going back to work. The fact that DOGE is doging and trying to shut down all of these leases, trying to close down on property. They know that he's going to make mistakes. Why because he's made so many. But lo and behold, they're gonna need office space. So black Tone is hedging its bets on the federal government needing to rent office space. So anyway, that is all I want to share. You look like you got something to say, be it. I want to hear.
Speaker 1: We have some friends at Blackstone Group.
Speaker 5: I'm waited. I'm like call them out. You should. You should actually say that on here because it goes right to the heart of special interests and how people end up walking blindly in their hypocrisy. So it is it is we we would never be the type of show, are the type of people that receive the donation and therefore quiet the criticism. Y'all are on the wrong side of the people diverse in all like special interests don't care, you know what I mean? And I was also sick because I didn't mean to go on this rampage job, but I was sick looking at who a pack donated to after something called Standing Strong Pack, which I'm going to look up. They're top two recipients of a pack money, Wesley Bell and George Latimer. That is, Corey Bush and Jamal Bowman's.
Speaker 1: Opponents who won, who unseated them, they outspent them so significantly because Jamal and Corey don't take corporate pack money or special interest pack money in this way.
Speaker 5: So this is the point when when you know that you can, like you come from bottomless funds, and you know that you can spend your way to victory, that is an imbalance in democratic power that has to be shifted and is why people wanted to shut this down with the Citizens United case and why it was so dangerous to say we're going to treat corporations as individuals. Yeah, that's my ted talk and I didn't mean fred to be that long.
Speaker 4: Well, let me let me I appreciate that, Angela. I do think it's important for people to know follow the money, you bollow the money. The truth is is that the money oftentimes of many of these issues, it creates strange bedfellows. You just mentioned going back to work and who might be a benefic benefactor of that. Yes, the companies that own the buildings that leases the space to the government as an entity, so long as the government has a policy that their workers have to be in that actual edifice to still be employed by the government that is good for, that is good for. How do you say, I don't know the landlord, but guess who's also good for? It's good for Muriel Bowser, the mayor of Washington d C. Rial you may find them in joint community. I apologize Mayor Bowser and who else might be in common cause with Mayor Bowser and Blackstone on this? How about the retail Association in Washington, d C.
Speaker 5: And retail side Andrew because they were trying to cut her budget maurial billion dollars.
Speaker 4: Muryo Bowser was in support. I'm speaking specifically about the return to work policy, specifically about going back to work. No, but I just wanted I wanted to break it down in a for for listeners to understand that the issue can create very interesting bedfellows. Now, would would Mayor Bowser be in favor of passing this CR as they exempted left out funding for Washington d C. Absolutely not right. So she's not gonna be in common calls with them on that. But but but but but they may find common calls on an issue like this. The other thing is side note, which is Emily's list, which was mentioned a number of times by Angela as related to a number of the women, I think exclusively the women members of the Senate who were part of that ten. Well, Emily's List doesn't tell the full story because Emily's List basically takes money from anyone Andrew and so an individual donor who might be just interested in in in Senator Shaheen, but they don't want their names or their company's name to appear as a supporter of hers. They say, oh, I'll give the money to Emily's List, and what Emily's List will do is then rewrite that money through its own ways. I don't want to suggest an illegality here, but essentially the name Emilies, this does not tell the full story of where the money came from, whether or not the candidate or the elected official knows where that money came from. It's a more diluted picture. But this is the big I think this is a big piece that must be owned here, and that is that we have a lot of our elected officials, both Democrats and Republicans, to almost whole sale allow non disclosed money from corporations to completely infuse itself into politics and their positions. And I gotta say the nineteen nineties, the early nineteen nineties in the Democratic associations that were outside of the party, and then it became inside the party that existed. We're largely in outreach and extension to the corporate arm of America. It basically said, we'll bring you after so you can produce cheaper products and sell them at higher prices, increasing the profit margins of your companies. And what we'll do is we'll we'll pass policies that is sympathetic and favorable to you. And what happened in that collision, whereas their business community used to be wholesale for Republicans because Democrats didn't fight for them, so they said, became advocates for both sides. It didn't matter to them Democrats or Republicans, the business community by and large in the early nineteen nineties made the conversion. And so as a result of it, the people have been on one side of many of these issues, and Democrats and Republicans have largely been together on the opposite side of those issues. So free trade, yeah, they yelling and screaming about it today, But people lost lives, they lost businesses, they lost homes, communities lost populations, schools, children, children, and you had wholesale communities experiencing depopulation. Well in American jobs no longer around. So I'm just saying this problem. Whether you're a Democrat or a Republican, and you're probably if you're a Republican, you may not be listening to the sound of my voice was just fine. But I just want to exclamation mark what doctor King tried to see, tried for all of us to see, which is that black folks, brown folks, and yes, working class white people are in common cause with each other. But this is economic issues.
Speaker 1: Well, this is kind of a different question, but I everything you guys are saying it keeps leading me back to this question of can any system of capitalism serve us? And I asked the question because Verdon Perry, he is the global head of Blackstone, the Strategic Partners who you were talking about the Investment Fund. He happens to be a Morehouse College graduate. He is on the board of trustees at Morehouse. He has put so much money into Morehouse and has done great for the community. However, the mechanism that's allowing him to do that is crushing the community if they are funding you know, Leader Schumer, who is not working in service to the people. So I just wonder does this entire system ever service And that's not to call out Burden, I hope I'm saying his name for Burdoon Vernon, mister Perry. He's a very wealthy man, and we are proud of you as an individual, brother, so I'm not attacking you at all, but it does It keeps bringing me to this question, does any system of capitalism serve us as a people, particularly since so much about the system of capitalism started on the plantation, So I just wonder, is that even something that can survive here? People keep saying, you know, private equity is destroying America. I don't know enough about it to know. I'd be curious to our audience, like explain it to me, because I don't really know. But it also, you know, it cancels jobs. It also creates jobs. But Wall Street only exists because of our labor, and it's crushing all of us. So I just wonder if we have so much of that money.
Speaker 5: Our bodies right literally on top of our bodies.
Speaker 1: So if we have so much of those problems and they are funding members of Congress who are not living in service to our interests, I wonder does the entire system need to be disrupted or blown up?
Speaker 5: Well, but here's the thing, and I do think we should address this larger question about capitalism. And I hope it's on another show, because if we could just lean into the special interest part, I think the other part is especially given like where we are in this social media era. We live in this absolute black or white space and it's like either you're with me all the time or you're not. And I think that it feels especially true right now because of how terrifying it is to be living in this era in twenty twenty five and or this administration. But the truth of the matter is, even though right now I feel like Chuck Schumer should face a different level of account ability given the severity and the seriousness of seriousness of his vote, as well as the other ten members, just like the folks who voted against Algreen, Like, there's some there's some accountability conversations that we have to have and if you can't align with us, you need to be, you need to be, you need to stub down. But if somebody's voting with us eighty five percent of the time, I don't think that we risk it all and go find somebody that, like, we might get five more percent out of And I don't think all of that is special interests. But like when you're so out of lockstep with what the community is saying, I think that's the time to do a gut check around special interest I mean, I'm fine questions. Also, go ahead, Andrew.
Speaker 4: Answer to your point. Just so, I'm sorry to exclamation market. I don't think special interests in and of themselves are bad. Are bad things neighborhood associations of special interests at the local yeah, yeah, you have the the Black Chamber of Commerce is a special interest at the local level. So so special interests can be for good things sometimes and sometimes I don't agree with.
Speaker 5: We're talking about with your special interests, the voices of special interests impact is I know, but can trump the people's power. That's when we have to rest like, well, people are clear.
Speaker 4: Agreed, go ahead, I agreed. I'm just saying I don't so. First of all, there isn't a there's an issue where you will find people on opposite sides on most things. But I understand the point of outside. The reason why I made the point around what common cause is for a lot of people that you may have people who philosophically agree with you, as you said ninety percent of the time, who take exception on this issue or that issue. That isn't that That isn't what I take issue with. And I don't take issue with groups and special interests in and of themselves my real beef because I think special interests, Yes, they have power to an end, and what is that end? That end is the elected officials willingness to do it, to carry the water, to comply. And so maybe these are twin issues, but I think part of why we are where we are is absolutely yes, special interest but I also believe it is the cowardice of elected officials who make the choice to go against what they ran on, maybe with their constituents might feel and in their in their gut about how they should perform.
Speaker 5: Well, Andrew, can we do a quick I agree with you, but can we do a quick kind of not experiment, but maybe a reflection back to either your time as a Talia Talahassee commissioner or mayor, or as a candidate when you had to come face to face with special interests as well. I remember a story about Emily's list, which I thought is where you were going earlier. But it's all good. There are some others. No, I didn't want to there are some others, and I would love for you to quickly, you know, take people into the space in the world of that when they come to you and say, you know, Andrew, we want you to stand against charter schools, or Andrew, we need you to stand with us. What Israel all the way? Or Andrew, we need you to support this uh, and don't say anything about this development project whatever it is? What what were what were those conversations, like, you know, and what are they saying? They're saying, we would love to support you, gonna door knock for you, going to do this. We expect you to be with us on what like tell us about that and what? Yeah, I mean leaned into your convictions because you're different in this. Everybody doesn't land where you land. Some of them land where Chuck Schumer is.
Speaker 4: Well, most people, I will tell you, special interests or individual contributors, major contributors would never try to co locate in their conversation with you that they're giving you money for a certain thing.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: In fact, I never went to people and and ask their ask for their support for some special carve oute that they may be for or against. In fact, I mean the FBI deal that that came into my city and targeted us locally, very specifically wanted to say, hey, you know we we we like you, we think you're a good god, we think of a good governor, but we're mostly interested in your votes at the local level. And I'm like, let me be very clear about this. If you support me, you support me because I'm a responsive elected official, that you know that I'm going to vote my conscience and that I had to have a forward looking and progressive view about what the future of this state ought to look like. And if you want details, we can go through it issue by issue, But I don't. I don't want anybody's support contingent on the fact that you think you're going to predict how I'm going to vote.
Speaker 5: Like that maybe going to be a predator. Andrew, what do you think is the reason? And then Tim, I'm gonna shut up with my question. What do you think is the reason that some elected officials don't have that same conviction around not being by like they don't mind I've been in spaces like joint fundraisers we're members of Congress will be like I'm this, I'm their dad, like you know, literally, it feels like bot like I'm there. I've never seen any times on Maxine Waters or please do that ever, but I have been in space. Whatever they need, they got no question there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, which is crazy, right, which is crazy. And first of all, I mean, there's something to be said for that. If you are a corrupt person and you believe that that's like a badge of honor to wear, there's a lot to be said there. But for most individuals, I have to believe, first of all, the overwarming majority of elected officials who I know, are not going to stand up in no damn middle of the room and talk about being anybody's proxy on this issue, that issue, that issue, because of unless they're saying, you sent me to DC voters, and because you sent me, you better know you always have an opportunity to walk through my door, sit down and have your grievance with me. And that's what I've always said to you. Anybody can book a meeting with me. My schedule is mayor and as commissioner was easy because we took them from everybody. You didn't need to be a contributed for that to happen. But for a lot of people, especially special interests, most of them by and large are when they are giving you a money, what they are, what they're asking for is access to you. They want to be able to reach you when they need to. That's their clever way of of of of of letting you be known and we can rock with that.
Speaker 5: Those wait, wait one more, one more, you just foot us in your answers. What was the balance for you of people of constituents who had your cell phone number versus donors or other supporters who had your cell phone over the person everybody.
Speaker 4: I need to get rid of it? Well, overwhelmingly the you know, overwhelmingly people right, people had it overwhelmingly because I would get requests that my aid would just beg me to please put an automatic message up that says contact by aid for this is that. And the third because because I lose some of it, she gets some of it, and and ultimately she's gonna be the one responsible because she controls account under but but but largely business interests and special interests where the money lies right, where the money raiser. Those are the people who who I have to tell you are going to have the most access to elected officials. Why because they're the ones who show up at the fundraisers. They're the ones who throw the fundraisers. They're the ones who have the pre meeting setting up to the fundraiser, and they want you to know that you're that your friendship with them has value, a real value. But I got to tell you this, y'all, on every issue that I stood for, fought against for as as a mayor, as an elected official, the most powerful constituency that ever showed up in the staff and anybody on the opposite side of them always knew it was going to be a fight if this happened. Is when your chamber gets filled with people who say this is the wrong thing to do. It doesn't matter how powerful, or how friendly, or how much money you raise me or any of that stuff from most selected officials. When the people show up in the room, the people usually win the day. The problem is, most selectors can count on maybe one or two hands how often they've dealt with an issue where the chamber was filled up with people on one side, and business can name every other nine of the ten issues where they have been in the room on a particular issue. That's the balance.
Speaker 1: I just I want to take a minute to say two things. One, I think elected officials like Andrew are rare unfortunately, that's right, yeah, it I feel so much rage in this country right now. I cannot even tell you. And hearing you talk about Andrew like the kind of mayor that you were, it makes me so upset because I feel like our people are losing, and I think we have to have a conversation about how do we become our special interest how do we elevate our voice this to be as powerful as these special interests groups. Andree for you to say that so many people had your mobile number, you know, I mean that's y'all know how I am about my cell phone, Like I rarely give it because I don't want to be responsible for having to respond to a text. I want to be horrible at it. For you to have this open door policy with your constituents, right the open phone and open door it is you just don't see that. And I feel like when those people emerge, there is an effort to silence, to take them out. So I'll say, Andrew and I had a conversation. I'm gonna sound like a hypocrite. I own it, but I sent Andrew some text and he didn't respond, and to excuse me, I understand I'm a hypocrite. Hypocrite here, Well, I just want the viewers to know because at any point I can ask Andrew any question.
Speaker 5: Two me so nuts, I can't. I can't have it.
Speaker 1: I can't have it. I'm one of those zero balanced people. But I don't open things until I'm ready to respond to them. I had a conversation with Andrew because last week on the pod we talked about do our taxes fund the government? And I referenced like no, but I remember reading like taxes don't fund the government. And so after the show, I went and looked at it and I, you know, tried to read a few things and I didn't understand it, and so I sent it to Andrew. I'm like, and can you read this and maybe you'll you'll understand it better. I can ask Andrew questions like Andrew, what was the negotiating table after World War Two? Like how did NATO even come to be? And like how did that benefit us? And off the dome, Andrew, you have an answer for me if I asked, well, what was the time limit between World War One and World War Two? What were the lessons that we took away from that? Off the dome, Andrew will have an answer to.
Speaker 5: Find out he's Andrew Chaid GP. Yeah, honestly.
Speaker 1: But this is my point on just want me to shut the hell up, because y'all are both like extra humble. But my point to to Andrew is in domestic policy foreign policy, like you are so gifted and so talented, and I wish because if you've lived in Florida, then you know, Andrew, Andrew still beloved in the state of Florida, but outside people don't know the wealth of knowledge this man has and the level of intellect that you bring in terms of strategy and just in conversation. So I just really appreciate that about you. And to hear how open you were with your constituents it makes me so enraged. And so then the other part of that is there has to be a leveling of this playing field. And my fantasy is we just erase this the government and we start from scratch, We start from a blank wall, and I want to empower people listening. What would democracy look like if we were its architects, not just the because we built the country, but if we were the actual architects of what government looks like, and to tap into our imagination in that way, and Andrew, you tapped into your imagination and led with conviction and just thought, this shouldn't be, so what if it wasn't or this should be so what if it is? I don't think right now we have leaders on Capitol Hill who are prepared to lead with that level, who are supported enough to lead at that level. But I do believe we have millions of people across this country who at some point, when this comes to knock on their front door, they're going to be ready to pay attention. Special interests can also be geopolitical. We have a lot of global interests. Donald Trump has yielded to a lot of global.
Speaker 4: Interest right now, enlightening conversation, ladies, let's keep it going right after the break, Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I can take a few minutes, I want to talk about some of the geopolitics because right now this administration is in open defiance of the judiciary. Angela, you have talked about constitution constitutional crisis. I think at this point that this administration is an open defiance to the judiciary. Then we have to acknowledge that there are no rules, there is no functioning government, there are no three co equal branches of government. This is an erosion the failure of the media to treat this like oh, Trump's having a disagreement with the judge. No, no, no, no no. This is the erosion of what the framers intended. It's an erosion of society as we know it. We talked about my mood a little before. I think this punctuates where we are as a country, and if you all will permit me, I'd like to read this letter that my mood Khalil he was a Palestinian activist at Columbia University in New York. We talked about him being arrested. The video is widely available online. For those of you who are watching, you can see those images on the screen now if you're listening. He was arrested by playing closed ice agents while his wife looked on, and he was quickly moved to various detention centers, so it was hard for lawyers to keep up with him. And this is what he says. The contents of the letter have not been edited. It was dictated to an attorney, and he says, my name is my Mood Khalil, and I am a political prisoner. I'm writing to you from a detention facility in Louisiana, where I wake the cold mornings and spend long days bearing witness to the quiet injustices underway against a great many people precluded from the protections of the law. Who has the right to have rights? It is certainly not the humans crowded into the cells here. It isn't the Senegalese man I met, who has been deprived of his liberty for a year, his legal situation in Limbo and his family in ocean away. It isn't the twenty one year old detainee I met, who stepped foot in this country at age nine, only to be deported without so much as a hearing. Justice escapes the contours of this nation's immigration facilities. On March eighth, I was taken by DHS agents who refused to provide a warrant and accost it my wife and me as we returned from dinner. By now, the footage of that night has been made public. Before I knew what was happening, agents handcuffed and forced me into an unmarked car. At that moment, my only concern was for Nord's safety. I had no idea if she would be taken too, since the agents had threatened to arrest her for not leaving my side. DHS would not tell me anything for hours. I did not know the cause of my arrest or if I was facing immediate deportation. At twenty six Federal Plaza, I slept on the cold floor in the early morning hours. Agents transported me to another facility in Elizabeth, New Jersey. There, I slept on the ground and was refused a blanket despite my request. My arrest was a direct consequence of exercising my right to free speech as I advocated for a free Palestine and an end to the genocide in Gaza, which resumed in full force Monday night was January ceasefire. Now broken, parents and Gaza are once again cradling two small shrouds, and families are forced to waste starvation and displacement against bombs. It is our moral imperative to persist in the struggle for their complete freedom. I was born in a Palestine, in a Palestinian refugee camp in Syria, to a family which had been displaced from their land since the nineteen forty eight Nakpa. I spent my youth in proximity to, yet distant from my homeland, but being Palestinian is an experience that transcends borders. I see in my circumstances similarities to Israel's use of administrative detention imprisonment without trial or charge to strip Palestinians of their rights. I think of our friend Omar Katib, who is incarcerated without charge or trial by Israel as he returned home from travel. I think of Gaza Hospital director and pediatrician doctor Hussam Abu Saphia, who was taken captive by the Israeli military on December twenty seventh and remains in an Israeli torture camp.
Speaker 5: Today.
Speaker 1: For Palestinians, imprisonment without due process is commonplace. I have always believed that my duty is not only to liberate myself from the oppressor, but also to liberate my oppressors from their hatred and fear. My unjust attention is indicative of the anti Palestinian racism that both the Biden and Trump administrations have demonstrated over the past sixteen months. As the US has continued to supply Israel with weapons to kill Palestinians and prevented international intervention for decades. Anti Palestinian racism has driven efforts to expand US laws and practices that are used violently to repress Palestinians, Arab Americans, and other communities. That is precisely why I'm being targeted. While I await legal decisions that hold the futures of my wife and child in the balance, those who are enabled those who enabled my targeting remained comfortably at Columbia University, President Shaffik Armstrong and Dean Yari Milo laid the groundwork for the US government to target me by arbitrarily disciplining pro Palestinian students and allowing viral dosing based on racism and disinformation to go uncheck. Colombia targeted me from my activism, creating a new author authoritarian disciplinary office, the bypass due process and silence students criticizing Israel. Columbia surrendered to federal pressure by disclosing student records to Congress and yielding to the Trump Administration's latest threats. My arrests the expulsion or suspension of at least twenty two Columbia students some strip of their BA degrees just weeks before graduation, and the expulsion of the SWC President, Grant Minor, on the eve of contract negotiations are clear examples. If anything, my detention is a testament to the strength of student movement in shifting public opinion toward Palestinian liberation. Students have long been at the forefront of change, leading the charge against the Vietnam War, standing on the front lines of the civil rights movement, and driving the struggle against apartheid in South Africa Today too, even if the public has yet to fully grasp it, it is students who steer us towards truths and justice. The Trump administration is targeting me as a broader strategy to suppress dissent. Visa holders, green card carriers, and citizens alike will all be targeted for their political beliefs in the weeks ahead. Students, advocates, and elected officials must unite to defend the right to protest for Palestine. At stake are not just our voices, but the fundamental civil liberties for all. Knowing fully that this moment transcends my individual circumstances, I hope nonetheless to be free to witness the birth of my firstborn.
Speaker 4: Childful, powerful, powerful, powful, I mean on on his merits, Tiffany and Angela. Ah, what's happening is is wrong as it relates to protest on campuses and and the impact on this family. Uh, you know, my prayers, My prayers go up and out for them. But the warning that he so generously offers there at the end for the rest of us is one that cannot go unnoticed. When Ron DeSantis in Florida decides to criminalize protests because a group of students disagree with a state position, When Donald Trump says that he is going to go after students who protests on the issue of of of of of Israel and Palestine, and this in this unjust war, when when administrations, government and private sector entities decide that they are no longer going to defend the people who are in their care who they have responsibility for, and willingly give over contact information, names, addresses, don't track down on them being docked on the internet, so people can go to their homes and do even worse things. Y'all. It's been said before. It may not be us today, but we see the outlines of what this thing looks like. Just insert community. That's the only thing that needs to change. Yes, immigrants who may be here in the country without proper documentation might be a tinge more vulnerable, but I wouldn't say much more vulnerable, because they have rights. Even if you are here without proper documentation, they have us rights to the system for due process regardless. Well, you're full a citizen, you got due process rights too. Yes, that's true. But what happens when the institution's private and public who are supposed to keep your information private, decide to hand it right on over to an authoritarian leader. What happens when the government that it's going to stop being your protector and you're champion, and turn against you and incarcrate your ass and then force you to make the proof to get out. It can happen to any one of us. And it's outrageous for any of us to think otherwise. That we cannot because we're American citizens, we cannot find ourselves in this exact predicament on the right issue, On the right issue, we just on the right issue of which we take exception or disagree with this administration. We then find ourselves on the other side of the law. They are creating the foundation for that to happen right now.
Speaker 1: Right now we are in We're not on the precipice of anything anymore here. So how long before they come knocking at your door?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because you protested? How long before they come knocking at your door? Angela? Because you organize things? How long before they come knocking at your door?
Speaker 5: Again?
Speaker 1: Andrew to target you? I can't every second of every fuck. I'm on the verge of a breakdown, and it's frustrating because I don't think people really know what's going on.
Speaker 4: And you know it, Tiffany, to the extent that we do know, how many of us, in our everyday lives try to avert our eyes from the crisis that we're dealing within our own personal lives because we just want to survive. So if we think we ignore it, or if we turn away and we don't pay attention, we don't open that piece of mail, we don't open that email, we don't open that we don't take that phone call, that that thing is going to go away. I get how easy it is for all of us to avert our eyes because we just can't.
Speaker 1: Did ignorance is bliss.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: It is easier if right, and so you don't have the Ignorance is bliss. Ignorance is also privileged.
Speaker 5: It is a luxury that nobody can afford.
Speaker 4: And I think, what do they say in Wicked the song versus It's life is fraud, basically saying the more informed you are, the more you care, the more problems that you have, And so it's life is frautless to be thoughtless. Yes, life is without its issues to subtract. So when you subtract from the knowing, but that that that only makes it true in your own imagination. It ain't you in real being.
Speaker 5: But I don't remember where I was going because I was like a wicked because I was thinking about Kiki.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry my kids.
Speaker 1: Well, when you put head to pillow tonight, I would ask you to think of my mood, Khalil and all the others in need, right, don't look away. Think of all the others who are sleeping on concrete floors with no mattress, pillow blanket, and crowded cells. Think of all the others who were shipped off on a plane. Think of your children. Imagine if somebody came and got your twenty year old child who all they know is America and ship them off to a country where they may not even speak the language and they were being treated as a criminal. That is what is happening to thousands of people, and that is what can happen to any of us at any second. We're living in a society that is questioning birthright citizenship.
Speaker 5: Literally that the president is acting. They said he's gearing up for the fight with the Supreme Court. So I just I think that it isn't coming upon us to not look away.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: To really ask ourselves the most basic and fundamental question. If your people are getting slaughtered and you consciously object, should you really be facing imprisonment? Should you be facing deportation? Should you be shipped to Guantanamo Bay? You know, like are we serious Salvador or wherever? Yeah, you know, put up in hotel rooms with no no, no, none of the luxuries, just housed and held and detained.
Speaker 4: You know, I just I think, and worse off not knowing where you're gonna get caught in this win is system going to catch me from this unperilous you know, this perilous call when.
Speaker 5: You know my centers and I was not going into I thought that we're not in.
Speaker 4: The same place. Okay, we start, we're not in the same place. I want to apologize, Angela, I didn't know you were still going and I apologize.
Speaker 5: It's okay, finish your point and then I'll come around to my point.
Speaker 4: I know I'm gonna stop. I'm gonna stop. I can't keep going because I now I know that I interrupted you and he ain't.
Speaker 5: Said, but I am. I think that when we contextualize most of what our conversation was today in terms of special interests, we have to we have to resist the urge to not just be mad at the fact that it's big money with outsize influence. I think that we have to go a level deeper and determine what that outsized influence costs the people. There's a difference. What we're talking about here is we talked about APEX. We know that their outside influence is costing the lives of Palestinian people. It's costing the elections of people who vote with their conscience. Frankly, it is muting the conscience of people who we know and love. And I think that that is a really good point for us to say, there has to be a fundamental shift because we can't be so quiet by the special interest dollars, their outsize role, that we will turn a blind eye to fascism, that will turn a blind eye to the democracy that we say that we hope for, that will look at everything we said leading up to the twenty twenty four election and pretend like that isn't in fact the case while we're watching this mandesimate agencies that support our people that have not balanced the scales, but like kind of made it a little more fair. And I'm not suggesting to your point earlier tip of like as capitalism service. I don't really know, but I know what we have, and I know the game we're supposed to play. The rules that we're planned by now don't even we don't even qualify for them. They're not even available to us. They are literally developed developing a system where we are locked out completely. And I think whether we work in those companies and we've been promoted in those companies and where the figurehead of those companies, or we have the power in those companies, if being in that role means that you have to support interests that antagonize your community, you're in the wrong place. Even if you gave the biggest philanthropic donation, if it is going to support some folks that are literally suffocating us in our rights, Nah, that's just a bridge too far, not in this era. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I you know, we talked about feeling despair last week, and I have to be honest, I still feel despair. I mean that letter. When I read that letter this week, it just leveled me. It's crushed me, and my spirit feels crushed, and so I don't really know how to crawl out of this. But I think every day this despair is turning to righteous anger, and it is making parts of my heart turn the stone, you know, where I have no empathy for people who did this. I have no sympathy for people who did this.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I look at them in absolute, utter disgust, and I think be crushed under the bullshit you voted for. Oh that's how I feel more and more. Yeah, yeah, And I think before there was a version of me that had compassion, that didn't want to see anybody suffer, you know, But when I see what they enacted and unleashed, now I'm not gonna lie. I just kind of feel like, fuck you, but you know you and live in it and.
Speaker 5: Sit in it and die in it. Wow. So, Tif and Andrew, if you're just now seeing like we imagined it would go this farce, think a little bit, but we're just now seeing it for real. There's a group, a focused group of voters who they've talked to at a Michigan who voted for Trump, a lot of them with deep regrets that that was onolder shrug on air. So but I guess this is my question if they really didn't know and now they're like, how did they not know? I don't know. I really don't know the answer this. I don't understand why they don't know. But I think it's the same way that people in communities everywhere don't know there's an election, or don't know who's running, or don't know who's different.
Speaker 1: So that to me is different. Yes, I can understand if a system has never served you. I can understand that you are not that aware of it. But you didn't know about January sixth. No, you didn't see this, man, I can't believe that. Oh, I really you think there are people who don't know January sixth happened?
Speaker 5: Absolutely let's go for absolutely. There are some people where January sixth, at the what happened on the Capitol on January sixth, twenty twenty one, Absolutely and they have.
Speaker 1: Now it might be people who agree with it, but you're saying there are people who literally have no idea that January sixth, I haven't heard of it. You all get mad when I see people are dumb. Those people are dumb.
Speaker 5: They I may not be done, they're not exposed the communities, but there.
Speaker 1: Has to be a level of willful ignorance to not know that there was a coup happening in this country that you didn't see thousands of people storm the capital to try to overthrow the government. I think that transcended every media outlet, every everything that can penetrate your willful ignorance.
Speaker 5: That was one of them.
Speaker 1: You didn't know that Donald Trump was president before, you didn't know the disaster that that was.
Speaker 5: I think there are people in communities that I'm getting exposed war and more to every day that do not know Donald Trump's first administration, did not know the second one, and they didn't vote, never have voted.
Speaker 1: Those people like you specifically about people who are like what what do you mean January sixth? I don't know what that is.
Speaker 5: They some of these people don't know about January sixth.
Speaker 1: I've never come across as a person, but I got a beef with us.
Speaker 5: Don't have beef. Let's go educate them so that they know even where to find out about it. Don't know, don't know what. I don't know what is? Don't those people?
Speaker 1: Of course I think I talked. I probably have some sort of I touch those people probably on a daily basis. So those people like those.
Speaker 5: Are the people I think of and why I can't say forget it if y'all crushed under this system, Because if those people who willfully did it are crushed under the system, these people that I'm talking about will be absolutely, absolutely obliterated under the system.
Speaker 1: The only people right now that I have space for in my heart are.
Speaker 5: My people.
Speaker 1: Regardless of what my people, I want to build safety work towards harm reduction for my people. Beyond that, proactive allies who are actively trying to do something to help and not necessarily with us, I mean, actively do something to help in your group chats, in your families, in your communities, correcting these half witted idiots who did this to us because we voted for your rights too. I have space for them and empathy for them. For the people who are out here cheering on January sixth, performing at the Kennedy Center. For the people who are out here wearing these dumb ass maga hats, For the people who are out here shouting for Derek Fielding to be pardoning. For the people who are out here watching Fox News every day like a bunch of armchair idiots. I could give a shit about them. I understand that I'm not trying to have a bounce of empathy for them. I feel bad for them because I don't know how they got there. But I'm not talking about them.
Speaker 5: I'm talking about people who literally are so detached from government and from systems at every level. Andrew, I don't want to overtuch.
Speaker 4: I appreciate the invitation. I got to tell you that I can't see Yall's face and facial clearly, I couldn't tell no, no, no, no, no, you may I'm where I am the backgrounds of y'all.
Speaker 1: Uh Angela and I have the privilege of being in the same space today. We are proudly broadcasting from Roland Martin studio shout out to Row Row after Roland Martin, and you all know, I love when I get to be in the same space as my co host, But poor Andrew is.
Speaker 5: The reason.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It is different when we're all in the same space. So if you all keep listening, we'll get to be in the same space every year. Expression I think we were facing each other, so he just couldn't see it on the screen. But anyway, Andrew, please just that.
Speaker 4: I apologize for the interruption.
Speaker 1: We'll make your point because we're but I want to know. Go ahead, go ahead, Andrew.
Speaker 4: That's no, I don't have a point. You yielded to me, but I don't have a point. I'm really absorbing what you're saying, and I'm trying to understand the limits of my compassion as well. And I think the frustration that I have are likely for folks who have the ability to vote, haven't been hindered really in any real way with that, and still don't make the effort to know enough about what government is doing to assess how you are impacted by it. So, for instance, a lot of people are going to lose access to healthcare as a result of this Republican budget, a lot of people with kids who are special needs, under the shift that this administration plans to take with the Department of Education unchecked by anybody and any other branch of government, are going to move onto their monthly budget lines new expenses for the care of their children that they have never before had to bear. The brunt of for families who are experiencing what it means to transition your parents into retirement and into elderly systems that are there to help support them in retirement. Good luck when we look up and we see that the retirement that is supposed to be promised to our seniors who report into this system are now at a point where don't cover much of anything, and don't even get me started on the healthcare access that they have. And as the price of things continue to go up, and the government then caps the amount of the contribution that each one of these recipients receive, what is it sixty percent of seniors are on Medicaid, Medicare they're getting with no other subsidized health insurance. So when those caps kick in, it is it big frustration. I dealt with this as an elect official, where people come knocking on your door once the crisis hits them. But every one of the three hundred and sixty five days that on the local news this thing was mentioned, and the meetings were held and the rallies were held, nobody looked up to check the symptoms. Nobody looked up to see how they were going to be impacted. And so I don't know that I have hard limits right now, because I just I like to give chances. But my frustration really does sit there that it isn't until it ain't, not that it crawled up your doorstep, not that it knocked on your door, but until it is sitting with you in the living room that you decide that I'm going to wake up and pay attention to how we got here, and by that point, good luck in being saved.
Speaker 1: On that note, we are over time. I'm so happy you made that point, Andrew. I think those were profound words because that's kind of how I feel. But we have some calls to action. Gonna go last, because I will give you a heads up. My call to action is not political good.
Speaker 5: I'll go first. I think.
Speaker 4: One.
Speaker 5: I have taken so much comfort in the last several weeks and being linked arm to arm with my people. We did a State of the People marathon a few weeks back, and just the relationship building process since then, really connected with people on text who I admire and now get to text with and share ideas with. Kimberly Crenshaw sending me, you know, incredible like deep dives on her thoughts. Just it's just really really dope. And I am so grateful that our folks are not just like the hell it ain't know what we can do, Like we don't even have it in us. It's like we are going to fight. If we lose this fight, we over here doing this fight. So I think that my call to action to y'all is simply this, it's don't give up. It is even if you don't find the strength to fight today, just yoke up with somebody else who's fighting. I guarantee you if you don't have the strength to fight, you still will have the idea. If you don't have the idea today, you probably don't have it tomorrow. So I would just say, please, don't give up, and if you have ways that we should be fighting, DM them to us. I got an incredible DM from a sister who I hope will send in a video. Who's we even talking about getting videos in from the podcast or to the podcast. She had a really dope idea that I would love to talk about on this show. So Hopeully, we'll get this idea anyway. Don't give up the fight and keep these ideas comfortle nice ten is nice.
Speaker 4: I think my takeaway would be, you know, how we all grew up with certain sayings, some of us grew up with certain traditions, even certain expectations around in this case, how you're supposed to be treated by government and by institutions. You walk into a place and you know you're not going to have a positive experience because as a child, you remember walking into that same office in the same place, and you're not having a positive experience. I would just ask us to not create our default position to then be the exact thing that we experienced or somebody else we know experienced generations ago, that that shouldn't be our automatic setting, That our automatic setting really needs to adjust to our level of expectation that they will perform, because I think a lot of us are we don't expect much from a from an institution when you haven't felt like you've gotten much from it. But simply because you haven't gotten much from it doesn't mean that the status quo position ought to be that I'm not gonna get much from this. Maybe your expectations have to raise. And then when you walk into that space or in that place and you make that call, and you're making it from a position of glass half full of full versus one empty to lower empty, I promise you the receiving end of that gets a different message from you. When I go into my children's school and they know we come in, and they see us coming up in there, the expectations that we have, they know are going to be at a level that your rudimentary this thing won't work that okay, uh huh, sure go later. Now we have a greater expectation than that. And I just I would ask us to interrogate the things that we assume are going to work out a certain way, because that's how they always work out. To interrogate that further, to see if we couldn't put on a different hat, a different disposition, a different set of expectations to make that thing work out our way. Because I fear in politics that a lot of it is is our default is we have no expectation. And when you ain't got no expectation, Yes, the worst is is gonna be the worst, and the worst is what it is. But when you go in there with it and you act like it a different you're gonna they're gonna meet a different version of you. And I getarantee, I think you'll meet a different version of the thing you want on the other side of that.
Speaker 1: Walk in it all right, I'll be really quick way over time. I just want to say, the only thing these days that seem to give me a piece of joy is when I get to touch a dog. When I get to make out with a dog, it gives me a piece make out with a dog, I do mean make out with these dogs.
Speaker 5: I just want to make sure there are people. I just want to take a quick production time out. Bitch. It's the same ship as Andrew last week. There's such thing called dog best reality is a time. This is Angela.
Speaker 1: People who love dogs know what I mean. Angela talk about the best reality with the dog when on Fox, remember.
Speaker 4: Tiffany coming and you got a pet, pick it up and run.
Speaker 5: First.
Speaker 1: But the podcast go ahead, fine, y'all can leave all of that in because people know when I make out like, I don't mean can I pet your dog? I mean I'm gonna get on the floor and cradle your dog, and your dog, will you kiss me? You know I don't kiss dogs in the mouth, but I guess sometimes. We went to Angela and I went to our friend Joy's house, and she has a pit bull and an other little mix, and I just I was in heaven. I was in heaven with these dogs. So I say all that to say, she's trys. I say all that to say, if you are somebody who is keeping your pet tied up outside, or your neighbors are keeping their pets tied up outside, shame on you. Dogs are not lawn furniture. If you are cold outside, they are cold outside. If you don't like getting wet in the rain, they don't like getting wet in the rain. Please don't be a shitty human being and treat animals poorly. Treat animals like you would want to be treated, and they deserve. If you can't take in a pet and treat that pet well in your home, then you don't deserve to have one.
Speaker 5: And that is all I meant. Animal dogs, not humans.
Speaker 1: Like I don't want to make out with no human that act like a dog. I've done that too many times.
Speaker 5: I was trying to offer a warning and didn't mean for her to take the bait. You heard it here first, y'all. If this ends up on Fox, those kind of dogs, stay ahead of life. Welcome.
Speaker 1: As always, we want to remind everyone to please leave us a review and subscribe to Native Land. Please you guys, subscribe because then I get to see my co host in person every week and I would love, love, love that, And I know you all complained about the cross talk and if we were in person, there would be a lot less of that. Thank you very much. We're available on all platforms that is, and also YouTube, and new episodes dropped every Thursday and Friday, and please be sure you're listening to these solo pods on Monday and Tuesday. And if you need even more, be sure to check out our girl, Jamel Hill Politics that she hosts and Off the Cup the other shows on Reason Choice Media Network. And also please don't forget to follow us on social media and describe to our text or email list, and you can do that by visiting our website native Land dot native landpod dot com. We are Tiffany Cross, Angela ri and Andrew Gillum. Welcome home, y'all. There are five hundred and ninety three days until a midterm election if we in fact have them.
Speaker 5: Oh, all right, that's the way to do it.
Speaker 4: Morning see.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the natives attention to what the info and all of the latest rock gulum and cross connected to the statements.
Speaker 4: That you leave on our socials.
Speaker 2: Thank you sincerely for the patients reason for your choices clear, so grateful it took to execute, road for serve, defend and protect the truth. Even in pace.
Speaker 4: We'll walkme home to all of the natives wait. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Native land Pod is the production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.